2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Iberia Reviews

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I arrived in Madrid, Spain from LAX and unfortunately left my cell phone (Samsung Note 8) inside the flap in front of my seat. I know because I was charging the phone while flying. I gathered my items to leave the plane but forgot to get my cell phone. I went to lost/found to explain my situation immediately upon arrival to airport at Madrid but no sympathy, no running or calling by walkie talkie or other of communication to try to go back to aircraft to retrieve my phone. Instead I waited 4 hours and said nothing was found. I was the last passenger to leave and my friend was my witness, I know the phone was left there and the only people who had access was the cleaning crew. My phone was stolen and never returned.

How can anyone trust this airline to never return personal items left on the aircraft? After so many customer service desks and claims...I ended up filing a police report so a thorough investigation could be made. Imagine this was at the beginning of my vacation. So much for that right? I will never use this airline again! Terrible service!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We were sold exit row seats and we did not get the seats we paid for. I tried submitting a complaint and they closed it and would not refund my money. The flight crew had no control over the passengers. It is an unsafe airline and violates FAA rules.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We had a delayed luggage issue at Miami. We arrived on Friday 12 October and didn't got our luggage delivered to the hotel until Sunday 14th October. We had to buy essentials ie. clothes totaling 130 dollars. We were offered £88 which we've declined. We also asked for compensation as our weekend in Miami was wasted. Has anyone had the same problem and what did you get for compensation. I need some advice as to where we go from here.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was routed to the airline to book after a Skyscanner search turned up the Iberia flights from CVG to Jordan and back from Morocco with overnight layover in Madrid for return flight. Not exactly a bargain fare, but better than alternatives on other airlines. However, another airline would have been cheaper had the seat selection fees been added onto the fare! So the flights were sold to me under false pretenses when comparing my options! Also, in choosing which economy fare to book, I chose regular vs basic economy for the outflight, as the comparison of the two did say seat selection would be extra for basic economy (that was the only advantage) and the price difference seemed worth it since seat selection was "up to $40" (though that was implied to be FOR THE ENTIRE FLIGHT EACH WAY, NOT PER LEG OF THE 3-LEGGED TRIP!).

I did choose basic economy for the return trip as the price difference was greater, so I was willing to pay an extra $40 for each ticket for seat selection. Much to my surprise, in managing my booking, a fee of $18-$37 was being charged for EACH LEG of the trip, on both the outgoing and incoming flights, for regular seats (exit rows are even higher)! The only seats I was able to reserve for free are for the short ORD-CVG flight on AA, but NOT the AA flight out, from CVG-MIA. Seat selection is not even available at a price for that flight. I called Iberia to complain, in hopes they would assign seats for me. When the agent tried to do that for the MIA-MAD flight, the charge was $37 and she apparently couldn't waive the charge though she admitted I had booked an economy flight, not basic economy, and that the only difference between the two is (supposedly) seat selection, which I was being denied!

I asked for a supervisor to call me back last night, which of course never happened, I have now been on hold with them for 20 minutes, no msgs stating how long the hold time is, or anything. Now, in going to Manage My Booking, I see that the entire trip, all 3 legs, outgoing (the one I paid more for, for Economy rather than Basic Economy) now mysteriously says "seat selection unavailable"!! That happened since last night, so now there isn't even an option to pay for them! For the return trip (which I'd booked at Basic Economy, so DID expect to pay for seat selection, but only up to $40 for the entire trip, not 3 separate fees--well, for some reason the short AA flight was reservable for no fee, so it is the 2 Iberia flights now--of up to $37 each!!).

There seems to be no resolution to my complaint, I would have booked the Basic Economy flights the entire way, rather than a higher fare that was described as including seat selection, had I known. Or chosen a different airline, entirely, at a somewhat higher fare!! Presenting these fares side by side in search engines for comparison with higher fares that include seat selection, without an upfront disclosure, is highly deceptive! Does anyone here have any suggestions for possible recourse?

And I am STILL on hold, wondering now whether my number has been coded to never get a response! It is just dead silence, no music, no "continue to hold" or "leave number for callback" messages, NOTHING! I believe my booking, which was confirmed (before I knew about these outrageous extra fees) is nonrefundable, or at least with heavy penalty for refunds + I have already booked an Airbnb in Madrid for the overnight layover there.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Four of us flew from South Africa-Madrid-Barcelona-Madrid-South Africa. The 10 hour flight to and from Madrid was atrocious to say the least. We paid R3,518.00 extra to book our seats! When we arrived at OR Tambo Airport we were given different seats. On our return flights, we were not even seated together! After proving that we had in fact paid extra to be pre-seated, they found us seats in the middle aisle together. These seats were really cramped - absolutely no leg room whatsoever. The cabin crew are extremely rude and unaccommodating. The food on Iberia is dismal and their vegetarian meal is not fit for human consumption! They offer you one refreshment plus tea/coffee per meal on a 10 hour flight! Some advice - pay a little more and fly with a decent airline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iberia?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Domestic flight Madrid to Alicante was cancelled at the departure gate due to 'technical difficulties'. Ground staff were rude and when asked a question (in English) would say 'yes, I'm busy now' and run off! No alternative flight offered that or any other day so a bus was put on, yes a bus to replace a flight - almost 6 hours instead of the 45 or so minutes flying time.

On a European flight 4 days later, Madrid to London Heathrow, which was late, I asked the cabin staff if my messenger bag was okay under the seat across the aisle as I had no seat in front of me, he said no so I went to retrieve it and put it in the overhead lockers but as I did he closed them all in front of me. I and those sat around me looked quizzical but we thought we'd got it wrong so I put the bag back under the seat. When he came back later there was quite a performance at his insistence the bag be placed overhead! I went onto their website this morning to lodge a cancelled flight compensation request but when you pull up the page in English it switches from complaint to compliment! This airline is best avoided.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I had to cancel a trip because I suddenly had a serious illness - a highly contagious virus. We had booked our trip to Spain on Iberia and a return trip on Air Portugal. Air Portugal was very reasonable. We spoke with customer service, they told us where to write, and we sent a letter from the infectious disease doctor and they gave us a voucher for travel within one year. By contrast, we spent hours on the phone with Iberia - mostly on hold, but then with the most unhelpful and rude staff I have ever encountered. After spending 30 minutes on hold, we were told to call someone else. Another 30 minutes and they gave us an address to write to. That was the wrong address. We were given a number to call. Another address.

After an incredible runaround, they said they will only give a voucher if you are hospitalized. Think about that. They would prefer that someone with a highly contagious disease sit in the seat next to you. Here is a quick challenge for you - Go on the Iberia website and try to figure out how to contact Iberia's customer service. You can't and that is by design. As long as I live I would never, ever, ever fly Iberia. They are horrible.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

As a daughter of immigrants and as an immigrant myself now, I have been flying almost all my life. This is my first time with Iberia and I am actually sad to say this is by far the worse experience. The plane is actually really nice, the food was decent but the staff is absolutely awful. I have never felt mistreated by any airline up until today. It is very upsetting how rude and mean the staff was at the airport (Madrid) and also in the plane. Starting by staff not wanting to speak in English (my flight was to Miami, USA), getting pulled aside twice during the boarding process by the same people and without any explanation regarding the matter, getting pushed up the plane by staff with a food cart without saying a word to me. I am so disappointed and feel so upset that I am actually writing this review from the plane (that has free wifi, how awesome! Not being sarcastic btw) with my hands full of soap since the water in the bathroom doesn’t work.

Please talk to your staff. I have traveled in worse planes, with less space and less comfortable but I would 100% go back to that due to their customer service being so much better. Also, very poor organization to the point where my boarding pass did not have the same flight number or time. I only got to the right terminal and gate because there was only one flight going to Miami. Terrible! I am not one to write reviews but for the first time I could not just keep it to myself. And I am sorry, but I can definitely not recommend this airline to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I purchased premium economy seating due to being 6’7”. When I checked to see about the seats that I had chosen, it didn’t have any assigned. I called to find out and even though I had paid for “premium economy”, that class was not even offered. They chose nothing to do and did not refund my money.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My family and I flew with Iberia in July on a connecting flight from Catania airport to Madrid Spain. Our flight was missed due to Iberia not having enough buses to transport the passengers to the actual aircraft. My entire family lost a days work due to this and Iberia will NOT compensate us as stated on their website.

Iberia Company Information