1.28/5
Based on 249 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

324 Holiday Inn Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2016

I booked a hotel stay at the Holiday Inn Express thru Travelocity (both establishments I will never use again). I thought my son would be staying with us so I reserved a 2 bedroom with 3 adults. He didn't stay with us and upon arriving I explained to them so I could get reimbursed the $20 fee for the 3rd adult. They said since I booked thru Travelocity I would have to ask them for the $20. I spoke to Travelocity and they said it was Holiday Inn Express' fee. So I explained to Holiday Inn Express that including this stay we spent over $600 in the last month staying at their hotel and they were not willing to reimburse us the $20, and I was told no because we booked thru Travelocity they would not. Never again Holiday Inn Express or Travelocity. THE KICKER IS - IT WASN'T EVEN CHEAPER TO BOOK THRU THEM LIKE THEY ADVERTISE.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I am in a wheelchair and always go to Holiday Inn Express hotels nationwide because the handicapped room is totally accessible with shower bench. But the mattresses are being changed and they are very high and too soft. This type of bed DOES NOT comply with the ADA standards for handicapped rooms. PLEASE the accessible rooms have to be ACCESSIBLE and I ask PLEASE DO NOT put mattress high and too soft, because as a Gold member I cannot go to these hotels again nationwide.

I want to go to these hotels but with these beds it is impossible. I cannot transfer from the wheelchair to the bed too high, and transfer from the bed to the wheelchair I cannot it is too soft for a disabled person. I had to leave the hotel and not stay for the18 days I had made the reservation. I called today for a reservation and asked to please put normal mattresses (as they were until 2015, I have been customer of the Holiday Inn Express for over 12 years) and the front desk person hung up the phone on me.

Original review: April 11, 2016

Called and made reservations for a "handicap accessible" room at the Holiday Inn Express in Burlington, Vermont. After checking in we discovered that the "handicap" room was at the "opposite" end of the building. We had to walk the length of the building for everything. The bathroom had NO fan, NO heat. The mattress on the bed was so soft it gave us both a back ache. The heater which was located 3 feet from the bed turned on every 5 minutes and kept us awake and my wife had a early procedure at the UVM Medical Center.

Called the General Manager (Nat **) and he informed me that the room was an "oversight" when they renovated in 2005 and thought that they would "possibly" rectify the situation the next time they renovated. We have stayed in Holiday Inn Express in many states from VT to Florida, but this is by far the worst room we have ever had. We are a rewards member and they did not have our info on their computer, so no comp's. We will write corporate.

Original review: April 8, 2016

LET ME TELL YOU A STORY: Called the Holiday Inn main phone number, received a quote, then contacted the hotel in Brady, Texas, reviewed with the front desk clerk, but when sent the quote by e-mail it was incorrect. Finally, I believed I had it straightened out. So, we get to the hotel and I check again, and quote is incorrect. I write on the invoice incorrect pricing and review later with the manager, and the general manager... But they still would not correct. The clerk that starts @ 3:00 p.m. is rude and unprofessional. Don't waste your time booking at Holiday Inn. You will get a nice room right down the street at the "Best Western!!!" Brady, Texas Holiday Inn - Stay away... Go to Best Western!

Original review: March 27, 2016

We visited the Holiday Inn Express in Indianapolis on March 25th. When we went to check out my husband went to put some stuff in the vehicle and it was gone. The area we parked in had cameras aimed at the parking lot. When we asked to view the footage on the cameras we were told the cameras were not functioning. When we called the police the hotel staff said that no one had seen the truck, a lifted F250 full 4 door extended bed truck. (It stands out.) Once the police arrive suddenly an employee remembers parking right next to it. And the non-functioning cameras are now for surveillance not security. So they apparently work but do not record. The owner never showed that he was surprised about the theft or showed concern or empathy for our situation. The least he could have done was apologize that this happened to us on his property.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: March 21, 2016

We stayed two nights the first morning. We were told full breakfast. No coffee, no food, only bread and bagels. Several asked about pancakes and the lady didn't even fill it. We overlooked it and then the next morning when Down we asked about pancakes. She again didn't fill it. Coffee was empty again, we watched the lady with a cleaning towel wipe down the table next to us. Then saw eggs on the floor, she cleaned up the eggs with the same towel, then went over to trash can. I thought she was going to throw the towel away, no. She shook the eggs off and then starting cleaning the tables and counters with the same towel.

We complained about the coffee pot not working in room. They acted like we were stupid. They said someone would look at it. Ok then the next morning it didn't work again. We told the man at the desk and complained. I work with food safety. I was surprised since your score was a 97%. I would like to hear your answers to the complaint.

Original review: March 16, 2016

We stayed at Holiday Inn in Denver Colorado at 3333 Quebec St. 7 day later someone from that office ran our credit card and stole $103. When we called the office NO ONE got back to us.. We called Customer Service line.. and just laughed at us...

Original review: Feb. 14, 2016

Made a booking at a holiday inn in Cherokee north Carolina through booking.com. Make this reservation one month in advance and never imagined it was non refundable and did not notice this when I booked it. I tried to cancel a few days in advance and the holiday told me it was up to booking.com and booking.com told me it was up to the holiday inn. I made 6-7 phone calls and even had documentation that I could cancel up to 6;00 the day of the stay. Holiday inn finally admitted that it was their computer system that would not allow them to refund the charge. He said no one in the company could override the charge even if I had it in written. So completely unethical.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

Really do not feel comfortable in the new room style of the Holiday Inn Express. The new design feels like you are sleeping in a hospital waiting room. It is too cold and uninviting. Hardwood floors?? Really?? Some people are used to that warm and fuzzy feeling and like to be comfortable in a hotel room.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

Planned a trip to Florida for business and also for personal reasons (all in the same trip). Made reservations 1/16 and 1/21 trip was planned for 2/4 thru 2/7. Changes out of my control happened and tried to cancel and rebook with HI Express in another City (not a different chain, same chain) and was told too bad, I lost my money. Almost $500.00 to be exact. Because I booked early to lock in best rate I could not get a refund. I am livid! Even called corporate and was basically told "sorry Sir, nothing we can do."

Well being in a customer service oriented business for 35+ years there was something you could do. I will NEVER STAY at any location ever again, nor will I EVER book the 500+ employees I regularly send for service training at any of your hotels. I may be out $500+ dollars but you will be out thousands! You have lost a ton of business!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

I made a reservation for my son and when he presented his ID and the confirmation number the girl at the front desk said they could not accept his reservation. My son called me and I talked with the clerk and I was told I had to fill out a form confirming and authorizing the credit card transaction even though I already had a confirmation number. She was rude and my son told me she was very rude after I ended the conversation and insisted he leave while laughing at him.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

Holiday Inn Express - 1305 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107. Made a reservation on 18th Nov 2015, canceled same reservation on 23rd Nov 2015 (This was for a stay on 4 Dec 2015). The reservation was canceled 12 days prior to the stay. However since it was an "Advanced Purchase" it is Non-Refundable. We have lost $675 and have no recourse. What a scam. STAY AWAY FROM HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

I checked in to your Hotel without reservations on 11/19/15. Quoted 114$ for the room. The man behind me got his for 45$. The desk person was like a robot. Not personable, just eating Oreos. Asked for a room with two beds. He checked me in, went to the fridge, and gave me 1 bottle of water. Hello? 2 people, 2 beds. Got to the room, asked for blankets, "sorry we only have 1". Went to the lobby the next morning for a quick bite, coffee didn't taste like coffee, the juice was unrecognizable. The food was disgusting and the cereal looked like it had been run over by a truck. All crumbs. Horrible stay, will NEVER stay again. In fact, I think a refund is due.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

We stayed at your hotel in weatherford, oklahoma on 11/20/15. We given room on second floor and told breakfast was from 630 to 900 but told we needed to get there by 730 as two ball teams were there and would need the whole dining area. Walls were so thin in our room that we could hear the people next to us use their bathroom toilet, heard their alarm clock go off at 530, then the tv go on and their conversations. People were going up and down the halls all night. Had been on the road for 11 hours and it is now 950 at night and just wanted a shower and nice bed and good nights sleep. Got only one out of three then were charged astronomical rate for us being seniors.

The breakfast was good. Stayed at this hotel because on tv it says "you will never have a bad night with us". Sorry but thats not the truth. Have stayed in lots of motels but think that this is the worst one ever. Dont think we will ever stay in Holiday Express Inns again. Know there are better ones out there had recently moved so address on check in papers is different than present address. Would like a response to this review at email address given.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on 1240 S Walnut St, Anaheim, CA 92802, from 26th to 29th October 2015 and, on my departure, I paid in cash. But two weeks later, on Nov. 6th, the hotel charged me again the total bill (645 USD). I contacted the hotel three times by phone and was told that they hadn't done anything with my debit card, but anyway that the problem will be fixed in a 5 to 8 days' time period. But until now nothing has been solved; and the last thing they said was that I had to contact my bank for help. Tomorrow morning I'll contact again the hotel, hoping to talk to the account manager and see if he, at last, makes a difference in the hotel's attitude of service. This is my first report of complaint and I will follow up tomorrow evening, but until now I am very dissatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

This may have been the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I booked a room on Kayak a week in advance for the Holiday Inn Express in Fort Lauderdale on Davie Rd. I let the hotel know a day in advance via Kayak that we would be arriving a couple hours early due to our airline schedule. I called to reserve the hotel pick-up shuttle when we arrived at FLL at 1pm. The hotel knew we would be arriving around 1:30.

When we arrived, our room was not ready which is understandable since check-in isn't actually until 3 pm. At other hotels I've stayed at in the past, they have been and prepared the room early if we notified them in advance. We were told the room was not ready but housekeeping would work on it shortly. We sat down in the hotel lobby and no one acknowledged us again until 2:52 when we were told it would still be 30 minutes (This is now later than the promised check-in time!). I waited 30 minutes and still the room was not ready. I went back to the desk and asked when the room would be ready. Desiree, the desk attendant, laughed at me but said she would call housekeeping. About 10 minutes later we were finally able to check-in.

Never was an explanation or apology extended to us. I paid money to sit in their hotel lobby while I was supposed to be enjoying my vacation! On top of that, the Wi-fi did not work most of the time and the room felt muggy even though we had the air on. The only positives, and the only reasons I gave two stars instead of one, were the cleanliness of the room and the free airport shuttle, although we reserved our return shuttle the night prior for 7:30 the next morning and the shuttle was not ready on time. Again, no explanation or apology offered. The complimentary breakfast was nice but there was a limited selection. The poor customer service at this hotel will cause me to never stay at another Holiday Inn. I usually stay at Hampton Inn and I made a mistake choosing a different hotel for this stay.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

Was staying for a week in Tulsa - great central location for South Tulsa room, was great bed, was great responsive staff. TERRIBLE Internet. Was trying to do business online and the connection to their wifi was never consistent and caused great difficulties throughout the stay. If you don't have an amazing data plan don't stay here - in two days I managed to burn through my data plan since using my cell phone as a hot spot to try and boost the wifi. If you're a business traveler and need to connect to the office this is NOT the place to stay. Everything else was great just the ability to do simple things online FAIL epically. Screenshots of "you're not connected to the Internet" to remember my visit.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015 We checked into a Holiday Inn Express in Petersburg, VA on 09/24/15 about 7 pm. We were assigned a room on the fifth floor. We walked into the room and

were shocked to see that the room had not been cleaned. The bed was unmade, there were towels on the floor etc. We returned to the desk and no one was there. We could hear a female voice somewhere in the back. We waited quite a while and no one came out.

I noticed the lobby phone so I dialed 0 and the phone at the desk rang. It rang about five times before the receptionist came out. She looked at us and said "What is wrong with your room?" We told her that the room we were assigned to was not cleaned. She just said "I will give you another room". There was not any type of apology from her. Just a simple "Sorry about that" would have been enough. She was so blasé about this I figured maybe that it was a common occurrence to send people to dirty rooms. We have stayed in many hotels through the years and we have never walked into a dirty room. The customer service was poor. The next room was fine. I did find it odd though that there weren't any towel racks in the bathroom.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

This hotel is brand new in South Austin, Texas off of E. Stassney Lane and was going to be my second stay within less than a week. That being said after working Tuesday 9/15/15 from 5:00 AM and arriving just after 10:00 PM that night I was buzzed into the hotel lobby and informed the clerk I was here to check in to my room. After several minutes of “Umm, well, hmm, sorry for the delay” I was told my room was ready. When I heard "room" I made sure to ask, “You mean suite?” I booked a king suite. The gentleman replied that the code booked for was for the hearing and or visually impaired guest and he had a regular room ready for me with two queen beds. I informed him I booked a king suite for a reason ahead of time and was paying far more than fair market value despite AAA or my IHG Gold Elite status and paying a lot higher than what I paid on the 9th.

The clerk stated he had King Suites but they were dirty and I could have 2 queen beds (same higher price). I told him that was not acceptable and I was then forced to drive back to San Antonio one and a half hours away tired, disgusted and questioning my brand loyalty to IHG/Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express & Suites. What made all of it worse, during this 30 minute "well, umm, hmmm" debacle was that a member in full uniform from Holiday Inn Express Inn & Suites housekeeping department was standing there next to me! One would think in the housekeeping department arena if you had dirty rooms that the housekeeper would go clean said dirty rooms so revenue could be generated and the guest that was booked incorrectly by Tonya could be turned into a happy brand loyal guest again just a week later!?

It appears my way of thinking was either too complicated or just a ridiculous way of thinking. I sent an email to the General Manager (La Tasha **) and I would hope that this email doesn't fall on hearing impaired ears and they would want to fix this before Tonya and the rest of the customer service oriented team ruins another brand loyal guest’s night of sleep. I would tread lightly before I would give this new hotel or for that matter any IHG hotel a chance. So much for that Gold Elite Status I was suckered into!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

TV fell from the wall onto my bed while I was in it. Hotel insurance did not want to pay the medical bill. Had Nationwide insurance which ultimately ended up forcing me to get an attorney to force them to pay a ER fee that they promised to pay. The tv fell from the wall along with portions of the wall mount onto my foot.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

A person alone in a wheelchair cannot get into the room. Bed too high for person to get onto it from wheelchair. Sofa bed was accessible but not comfortable. Person at front desk said the next morning, when my sister was checking out the next morning, the front desk person said it was adjustable... but how were we to know that? Toilet was too close to wall, my sister couldn't help her husband up. Shower situation not great. My sister couldn't hang up her dress. Closet rod too low. Who checks these rooms out?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I stayed at the Holiday Inn I-20 West Augusta, GA. At first I was wasn't sure if I wanted to stay but to my pleasant surprise, all the staff were professional and eager to serve. The breakfast was better than good with a lot of variety sausage, bacon, potatoes, fresh fruit, waffle etc. I would recommend this hotel. The room were neat and clean.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

My husband and I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn in St. Louis MO. The room was nice and very comfortable. The maid service was not good. I had a pair of sunglasses in the room that went missing. They were not expensive but that's beside the point. I was not offered a reimbursement of my loss. I did receive a phone call from a supervisor at the Holiday Inn who was very nice to me and said she would find out who was responsible for the missing glasses. I haven't heard anymore since then. I would just like to be reimbursed for my loss.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

Stayed at the Dickson Tn location. My room smelled like mold and mildew, told the front desk. She switched me to another room, and it smelled the same, so I'm assuming they all smell like that. I went to the store and purchased Lysol and carpet fresh, it didn't help. That room cost me $314.00 for 2 nights to breathe mold and mildew all weekend. I would never stay at a Holiday Inn again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

After finding motels in the town of O'neill, Nebraska, I found that they had a Holiday Inn Express. We have always enjoyed staying and have never had any problems. I checked on the amenities to see if they accepted pets, and the third amenity read, "pets accepted." When we arrived, I went to check in and the guy at the desk said "we don't accept pets." I told him that the Web page said, pets accepted. He argued that it didn't say that. I have made a copy of the Web page and intend on sending it to the corporate office. I am totally disgusted with the establishment in O'neill, Nebraska. We ended up next door at the Super Eight next door for half the price, a much nicer atmosphere, and very nice.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I had no hot water. Went to the front desk, told her about the problem. She told me to allow the water to run for five minutes. I did that. Still no hot water in the shower. I called the front desk, she said a maintenance man will be there in twenty minutes. NO ONE SHOWED. I went to sleep thinking maybe it will be working in the morning, NO hot water. I went to the front desk again to inform the morning shift about the issue. I had to leave and go to a relative house to take a shower. I called to make the manager aware of this issue, she tells me she went to the room and there is hot water. "Did you get in to take a shower?" These rooms are not cheap, and I don't have a problem paying for a decent room for this price, but to assume I am a liar, and not try to fix the situation is poor business. Holiday inn Express in Kernersville, NC will NEVER GET ANYMORE OF MY MONEY.

Original review: July 29, 2015

I called the evening of July 28 to make a reservation. The rep's name is Jeff and he is the rudest HI employee I have ever had the misfortune of speaking with. I'm currently in San Francisco staying in a Holiday Inn and have been a guest of the Holiday Inn in different locations for the last few days. We have been HI members since the 80s and feel it is necessary for you to know when this kinda thing happens. Poor customer service is NEVER acceptable. Thanks.

Original review: July 20, 2015

Serious problem with business ethics at this place. We made a reservation for three nights on 4/20/2015 for an event in Lafayette that was cancelled. We called the motel the same day and cancelled the reservation and the reservation manager/desk clerk said everything would be taken care of. However, since the reservation had been made through Trivago, the reservation manager at Holiday Inn should have told us they could not cancel, but we would have to go through Trivago.

After mediation through Wells Fargo, they have refused to budge, even though they would have lost nothing on the deal because there was plenty of time for future reservations after the 24 hour cancellation, saying it was their policy on that type of reservation to allow no cancellations. Given that $351.40 was involved, it was expensive for us. The chain obviously has no concept of customer relations or helpfulness and the attitude of the chain borders on fraud. We will never use this chain again even though we had Club membership.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I stayed here last night as my family and I were attending a wedding, upon checking in we were told our two double rooms were ready. I had booked a twin room and 1 double room. When I told the lady on reception this she basically called me a liar and said the hotel was fully booked so we couldn't switch rooms. The twin room was for my elderly grandmother and my great aunt. They needed separate beds but there was nothing we could do about it so we put the bags in our rooms and we saw that one of the rooms had a sofa. This would sort our problem as someone could sleep on it. I then went to reception and asked if the sofa was a sofa bed to which the girl replied, "No it isn't and if you pull it out we will charge you," which I thought was a little odd as I had only asked a question! I then asked this girl if we could have an extra pillow and duvet so my great aunt could sleep on the sofa. The girl said ok and off we went to the wedding.

We got back to the hotel separately so it wasn't until this morning that I see my grandmother and aunt and find out there was no duvet or pillow brought to the room for them so my aunt had to sleep on a sofa with no pillow and only a 10 inch wide bed runner for warmth. They didn't want to have to walk back to reception and didn't know the number to call down so they just went to bed. This morning I looked at the sofa and found it was in fact a sofa bed and could of been used! When we checked out I complained to the lady on reception and she called a manager which turned out to be the girl who had checked us in. I explained to her what had happened and she was extremely rude to me and my grandmother and was more interested in calling me a liar over booking a twin room.

I clearly and calmly told this-so called manager that the wrong room being booked was not the issue. My great aunt being left with no pillow or duvet was what I had a problem with. Especially since it was her I had asked for the items! The manager was argumentative and rude so I just took her name and left. On our way home I was furious so I emailed the Holiday Inn Customer services and am waiting to hear back from them. I'll never use Holiday Inn again!

Original review: July 10, 2015

Recently I went on a trip to visit my daughter. Because of travel complications, I had to stay unfortunately where my ticket ended in New Orleans. I asked the travel agent for a hotel recommendation and I was given the Holiday Inn Express. I had been traveling by train for four days and was TIRED! I called for a reservation and asked the cost for a extended stay. I was given a quote by the clerk that the cost would come to approximately 175.00 or so. I asked "was this the entire cost for the stay" three times verifying this was the entire cost. She said "yes" each time. When I physically arrived to check in, the clerk asked for my credit card (said she just needed it to book the room). I could pay when I checked out. I asked for a copy of the charges but was denied, (I wondered why). After a couple of nights stay, something told me to go down and find out the charges to the room thus far.

The clerk pulled up my reservation, and to my shock the bill was over 900.00!! The clerk that checked me in didn't bother to tell me that the total cost was 175.00 PER NIGHT!!! I couldn't stay and didn't have enough to settle because they charged for the ENTIRE DURATION of booking whether I stayed or not!! What's more, they charged me on a moving scale, weekdays were around 100.00 per night and weekends were over 200.00!!!. Nowhere near what the clerk told me at the initial booking! (That's why she didn't want me to see the bill initially). So I left to try to figure out what to do about what I owed. A day or so later I was called by someone in accounts for the hotel, (a young lady) who began to tongue lash and badger and disrespect me for the whole dilemma.

I wrote a letter of apology to the Hotel manager explaining the whole progression of events, and my plans to settle, but because I was led to believe one thing (in a tired state from traveling) when it was altogether a different story on the bill. I was misled, and taken advantage of and out of fairness I stated that I would settle only for the nights I physically occupied the room. Then on top of all that, they put a forced debit attach on my card (without my knowledge or permission) which my card now has a negative balance for the whole charge amount. So each time I put money in the account it automatically goes to them!! (so far 100.00) I still have to settle with them, but only for the nights spent in their establishment. What people won't do nowadays for a dollar.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information