1.27/5
Based on 256 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

331 Holiday Inn Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

On August 27, 2016, I missed my flight and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Charlotte by the airport. In the middle of the night, three men entered my room saying they needed to check the room. I told the clerk who gave me the assistant manager's card, but that was the hotels number itself. I then sent an email to corporate and they emailed the hotel for manager to get back to me. On Sunday, August 28, someone called and asked what happened and said someone would be contacting me soon.

On Tuesday, August 30, I called corporate again and they said they were sending another email to the manager to call me with an update because they want the manager to handle the situation. As of September 1, I still have not heard from anyone. They are not taking my safety and well-being seriously. I could have been killed, raped and robbed. No one can tell me how these men got into my room or who they were. No apologies, nothing. I will never ever patronize another Holiday Inn or any of its affiliates.

Original review: July 24, 2016

My room is by the pool and when I stay in another room you can always hear noise. The walls are too thin. Desk person not very helpful. I stayed in $50 rooms that were better. Can't wait to get out of here but this is where my job put me. Also only one washer and dryer. Am at the Burlington Iowa location.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 23, 2016

I got multiple bites, red marks, itching, swelling on exposed areas of my body. I reported and showed them to night clerk who seemed baffled and later showed my arms, hand to the day clerks. Manager got a visual inspection that found no bugs and is planning to do nothing and continue renting out the room. No explanation for why I have so many marks consistent with bed bug bites. I consider this unacceptable to wait until infestation becomes overwhelmingly obvious before acting to ensure cleanliness of room.

Original review: May 30, 2016

Being a fellow employee for Holiday Inn I look forward to one of the perks for working at this establishment. Boy was I surprised to rent a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Pismo Beach Ca. My companion and I checked in and I was given the Employee rate. (Standard procedure is upon check in they take my Id info and if the credit card holder is different they take their info also.) The last day of our stay I had left early to go to attend church. A young lady that runs the front desk named Shelby called our room and in short ordered me to report to the front desk. Obviously I was not returning to the 30 minute drive. Days later I was informed they did not honor the Employee rates. I called and Shelby was rude, accused me of not being there.

Of course when you check in all transactions are fully viewed on camera. I tried to assure her of the fact I checked in and she bluntly called me a liar. I then asked to talk to the GM and she informed me Samuel ** the GM was going to say the same thing. I was to say the least very upset. Waiting a couple of days I and my companion made the trip up there to speak to the GM in person. The lovely Shelby was working the front desk as I asked to speak to Samuel ** who was behind a wall, refused to come out front claiming he was on a conference call. To leave a name and number and he would get a hold of me. That never happened. Their attitude and display of non professionalism was very disappointing. I am still waiting for them to reverse the charges and apologize for their accusations.

Original review: May 13, 2016

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn in Harrisonburg, VA for September 12, 2015. The reservation was for one room and 2 beds, four adults. We needed a place to spend the night, because my 93-yr-old mother needed a rest spot 1/2 between our home and the destination. I went to the front desk that afternoon to check in and put our stuff in our room before heading back out. The lady at the front desk said she had our king size bed ready or us. I looked at the room and it was not what we reserved. The lady, term used loosely, said I didn't have the room I had reserved because I didn't confirm it. I showed her the confirmation number and she said that is not our confirmation number.

I asked "This IS your hotel is it not?" She agreed it was but this was not a confirmation number they have. It was a from Travelocity and they do not have the room I reserved. The only room that they have was the king size. I demanded my money back and she said that she could not do that - nonrefundable. I was livid because she blamed ME for the mess up, when it was all there in black and white what I had reserved. Since I was unemployed and had no extra money to go to another hotel, we stayed there.

A few days later, I received an email wanting me to rate my stay at the Holiday Inn. I entered my unsatisfactory comments about the poor service I had received from the front desk lady, and said even though the room was satisfactory, I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again because of being blamed for their mess up and not being offered a refund of my money.

Approximately a week later, I received a phone call from a representative, who wanted to discuss my recent stay at Holiday Inn Harrisonburg. I agreed. I told her the story and she apologized. I said I will never use Holiday Inn again. She kept saying that she wanted to make restitution. I told her I wasn't interested. I was unemployed, and was looking for a job. I couldn't afford to go anywhere, even if the room was free. She insisted I hear her out. I listened and she said, because of the terrible experience I had in Harrisonburg, they wanted to offer me a 3-night stay in Myrtle Beach free of charge. I needed to put down a $199 deposit that was refunded back to me after my stay in Myrtle Beach, SC. I thought well maybe my niece could go with me and drive and we can eat sandwiches etc while we were there. So I did it.

Fast forward to present time. I made the reservations online and I got a call from the lady handling my reservation. She asked if I made $50K a year. I said no, I was unemployed due to back surgery. She said "I am sorry - this vacation is null and void." I asked her why was a 3-night stay that was for restitution for a bad experience last year no longer valid because I am unemployed - I was unemployed when the offer was given to me. Found out that it was for a vacations club package - I would have had to sit in a 3-hour speech about buying into it. I told, Manuela that when the offer was given to me, the rep knew I was unemployed and said nothing about it. She never said I had to make $50K a year! I said I want a refund of the $200! Money that I could have used (because of being unemployed).

Now I have to jump through hoops to get my refund!!! I will never use Holiday Inn again in my travels. A copy of this letter is going to the BBB, and any website I can find where I can leave a rating about my Holiday Inn experience. The lack of compassionate customer service is appalling to say the least. Blaming your customer on your lack responsibility to your customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: May 1, 2016

I called to book room for tournament rate, was told there were no rooms for that rate. I could get a king for $40 more. I went on Hotels.com, they had rooms available. I called hotel back, they still said, "no", so I booked through Hotels.com, but agreed to pay at hotel. When we arrived at hotel, they had many vacant rooms. Told me I basically could pick what floor I wanted since they hardly had any bookings. Hotel charged me more than rate I had confirmed even though I showed them the confirmation email.

While at the hotel, our truck was broken into. Thieves ripped off door handle with a screwdriver, and ransacked the truck, stealing everything down to the change in the ashtray, and my child's school backpack with all his school homework and projects among other valuables. Hotel basically ignored it all. When I asked about the cameras, they said insurance would not allow them to have cameras recording without someone to monitor them. They have 20 signs stating they are not liable for theft in the parking lot. This was worst display of hospitality that I've ever dealt with. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Pathetic!

Original review: April 27, 2016

On 04/15/16 I called in a reservation for 3 nights at a Holiday Inn, I was going to use reward nights for 2 of the nights so it had to be booked in 2 different reservations. The woman from IHG told me to call back 2 days before my trip and have the reservation changed to the reward nights because initially I wasn't sure we were gonna make the trip and would lose the money. So today, 04/26/16 I called to do this. They informed me there were no reward nights available at that hotel. So I asked to speak with a manager, which I spend over 30 minutes on the phone with, and we got disconnected.

I waited and he NEVER called me back. So, I found another hotel in the area that showed online it had reward nights available, so I called reservations and the girl went over the type of room that was available and I told her to book it. She put me on hold for almost 10 minutes only to come back and tell me that room had just been booked. Now, I am 2 days from my trip and I have cancelled ALL reservations with them and will NEVER stay at a IHG property again. I will also, post this complaint on every sight that takes complaints!!! Very poor way of doing business and their reward nights are a TOTAL SCAM!

Original review: April 25, 2016

I booked a hotel stay at the Holiday Inn Express thru Travelocity (both establishments I will never use again). I thought my son would be staying with us so I reserved a 2 bedroom with 3 adults. He didn't stay with us and upon arriving I explained to them so I could get reimbursed the $20 fee for the 3rd adult. They said since I booked thru Travelocity I would have to ask them for the $20. I spoke to Travelocity and they said it was Holiday Inn Express' fee. So I explained to Holiday Inn Express that including this stay we spent over $600 in the last month staying at their hotel and they were not willing to reimburse us the $20, and I was told no because we booked thru Travelocity they would not. Never again Holiday Inn Express or Travelocity. THE KICKER IS - IT WASN'T EVEN CHEAPER TO BOOK THRU THEM LIKE THEY ADVERTISE.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I am in a wheelchair and always go to Holiday Inn Express hotels nationwide because the handicapped room is totally accessible with shower bench. But the mattresses are being changed and they are very high and too soft. This type of bed DOES NOT comply with the ADA standards for handicapped rooms. PLEASE the accessible rooms have to be ACCESSIBLE and I ask PLEASE DO NOT put mattress high and too soft, because as a Gold member I cannot go to these hotels again nationwide.

I want to go to these hotels but with these beds it is impossible. I cannot transfer from the wheelchair to the bed too high, and transfer from the bed to the wheelchair I cannot it is too soft for a disabled person. I had to leave the hotel and not stay for the18 days I had made the reservation. I called today for a reservation and asked to please put normal mattresses (as they were until 2015, I have been customer of the Holiday Inn Express for over 12 years) and the front desk person hung up the phone on me.

Original review: April 11, 2016

Called and made reservations for a "handicap accessible" room at the Holiday Inn Express in Burlington, Vermont. After checking in we discovered that the "handicap" room was at the "opposite" end of the building. We had to walk the length of the building for everything. The bathroom had NO fan, NO heat. The mattress on the bed was so soft it gave us both a back ache. The heater which was located 3 feet from the bed turned on every 5 minutes and kept us awake and my wife had a early procedure at the UVM Medical Center.

Called the General Manager (Nat **) and he informed me that the room was an "oversight" when they renovated in 2005 and thought that they would "possibly" rectify the situation the next time they renovated. We have stayed in Holiday Inn Express in many states from VT to Florida, but this is by far the worst room we have ever had. We are a rewards member and they did not have our info on their computer, so no comp's. We will write corporate.

Original review: April 8, 2016

LET ME TELL YOU A STORY: Called the Holiday Inn main phone number, received a quote, then contacted the hotel in Brady, Texas, reviewed with the front desk clerk, but when sent the quote by e-mail it was incorrect. Finally, I believed I had it straightened out. So, we get to the hotel and I check again, and quote is incorrect. I write on the invoice incorrect pricing and review later with the manager, and the general manager... But they still would not correct. The clerk that starts @ 3:00 p.m. is rude and unprofessional. Don't waste your time booking at Holiday Inn. You will get a nice room right down the street at the "Best Western!!!" Brady, Texas Holiday Inn - Stay away... Go to Best Western!

Original review: March 27, 2016

We visited the Holiday Inn Express in Indianapolis on March 25th. When we went to check out my husband went to put some stuff in the vehicle and it was gone. The area we parked in had cameras aimed at the parking lot. When we asked to view the footage on the cameras we were told the cameras were not functioning. When we called the police the hotel staff said that no one had seen the truck, a lifted F250 full 4 door extended bed truck. (It stands out.) Once the police arrive suddenly an employee remembers parking right next to it. And the non-functioning cameras are now for surveillance not security. So they apparently work but do not record. The owner never showed that he was surprised about the theft or showed concern or empathy for our situation. The least he could have done was apologize that this happened to us on his property.

Original review: March 21, 2016

We stayed two nights the first morning. We were told full breakfast. No coffee, no food, only bread and bagels. Several asked about pancakes and the lady didn't even fill it. We overlooked it and then the next morning when Down we asked about pancakes. She again didn't fill it. Coffee was empty again, we watched the lady with a cleaning towel wipe down the table next to us. Then saw eggs on the floor, she cleaned up the eggs with the same towel, then went over to trash can. I thought she was going to throw the towel away, no. She shook the eggs off and then starting cleaning the tables and counters with the same towel.

We complained about the coffee pot not working in room. They acted like we were stupid. They said someone would look at it. Ok then the next morning it didn't work again. We told the man at the desk and complained. I work with food safety. I was surprised since your score was a 97%. I would like to hear your answers to the complaint.

Original review: March 16, 2016

We stayed at Holiday Inn in Denver Colorado at 3333 Quebec St. 7 day later someone from that office ran our credit card and stole $103. When we called the office NO ONE got back to us.. We called Customer Service line.. and just laughed at us...

Original review: Feb. 14, 2016

Made a booking at a holiday inn in Cherokee north Carolina through booking.com. Make this reservation one month in advance and never imagined it was non refundable and did not notice this when I booked it. I tried to cancel a few days in advance and the holiday told me it was up to booking.com and booking.com told me it was up to the holiday inn. I made 6-7 phone calls and even had documentation that I could cancel up to 6;00 the day of the stay. Holiday inn finally admitted that it was their computer system that would not allow them to refund the charge. He said no one in the company could override the charge even if I had it in written. So completely unethical.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

Really do not feel comfortable in the new room style of the Holiday Inn Express. The new design feels like you are sleeping in a hospital waiting room. It is too cold and uninviting. Hardwood floors?? Really?? Some people are used to that warm and fuzzy feeling and like to be comfortable in a hotel room.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

Planned a trip to Florida for business and also for personal reasons (all in the same trip). Made reservations 1/16 and 1/21 trip was planned for 2/4 thru 2/7. Changes out of my control happened and tried to cancel and rebook with HI Express in another City (not a different chain, same chain) and was told too bad, I lost my money. Almost $500.00 to be exact. Because I booked early to lock in best rate I could not get a refund. I am livid! Even called corporate and was basically told "sorry Sir, nothing we can do."

Well being in a customer service oriented business for 35+ years there was something you could do. I will NEVER STAY at any location ever again, nor will I EVER book the 500+ employees I regularly send for service training at any of your hotels. I may be out $500+ dollars but you will be out thousands! You have lost a ton of business!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

I made a reservation for my son and when he presented his ID and the confirmation number the girl at the front desk said they could not accept his reservation. My son called me and I talked with the clerk and I was told I had to fill out a form confirming and authorizing the credit card transaction even though I already had a confirmation number. She was rude and my son told me she was very rude after I ended the conversation and insisted he leave while laughing at him.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

Holiday Inn Express - 1305 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107. Made a reservation on 18th Nov 2015, canceled same reservation on 23rd Nov 2015 (This was for a stay on 4 Dec 2015). The reservation was canceled 12 days prior to the stay. However since it was an "Advanced Purchase" it is Non-Refundable. We have lost $675 and have no recourse. What a scam. STAY AWAY FROM HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

I checked in to your Hotel without reservations on 11/19/15. Quoted 114$ for the room. The man behind me got his for 45$. The desk person was like a robot. Not personable, just eating Oreos. Asked for a room with two beds. He checked me in, went to the fridge, and gave me 1 bottle of water. Hello? 2 people, 2 beds. Got to the room, asked for blankets, "sorry we only have 1". Went to the lobby the next morning for a quick bite, coffee didn't taste like coffee, the juice was unrecognizable. The food was disgusting and the cereal looked like it had been run over by a truck. All crumbs. Horrible stay, will NEVER stay again. In fact, I think a refund is due.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

We stayed at your hotel in weatherford, oklahoma on 11/20/15. We given room on second floor and told breakfast was from 630 to 900 but told we needed to get there by 730 as two ball teams were there and would need the whole dining area. Walls were so thin in our room that we could hear the people next to us use their bathroom toilet, heard their alarm clock go off at 530, then the tv go on and their conversations. People were going up and down the halls all night. Had been on the road for 11 hours and it is now 950 at night and just wanted a shower and nice bed and good nights sleep. Got only one out of three then were charged astronomical rate for us being seniors.

The breakfast was good. Stayed at this hotel because on tv it says "you will never have a bad night with us". Sorry but thats not the truth. Have stayed in lots of motels but think that this is the worst one ever. Dont think we will ever stay in Holiday Express Inns again. Know there are better ones out there had recently moved so address on check in papers is different than present address. Would like a response to this review at email address given.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on 1240 S Walnut St, Anaheim, CA 92802, from 26th to 29th October 2015 and, on my departure, I paid in cash. But two weeks later, on Nov. 6th, the hotel charged me again the total bill (645 USD). I contacted the hotel three times by phone and was told that they hadn't done anything with my debit card, but anyway that the problem will be fixed in a 5 to 8 days' time period. But until now nothing has been solved; and the last thing they said was that I had to contact my bank for help. Tomorrow morning I'll contact again the hotel, hoping to talk to the account manager and see if he, at last, makes a difference in the hotel's attitude of service. This is my first report of complaint and I will follow up tomorrow evening, but until now I am very dissatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

This may have been the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I booked a room on Kayak a week in advance for the Holiday Inn Express in Fort Lauderdale on Davie Rd. I let the hotel know a day in advance via Kayak that we would be arriving a couple hours early due to our airline schedule. I called to reserve the hotel pick-up shuttle when we arrived at FLL at 1pm. The hotel knew we would be arriving around 1:30.

When we arrived, our room was not ready which is understandable since check-in isn't actually until 3 pm. At other hotels I've stayed at in the past, they have been and prepared the room early if we notified them in advance. We were told the room was not ready but housekeeping would work on it shortly. We sat down in the hotel lobby and no one acknowledged us again until 2:52 when we were told it would still be 30 minutes (This is now later than the promised check-in time!). I waited 30 minutes and still the room was not ready. I went back to the desk and asked when the room would be ready. Desiree, the desk attendant, laughed at me but said she would call housekeeping. About 10 minutes later we were finally able to check-in.

Never was an explanation or apology extended to us. I paid money to sit in their hotel lobby while I was supposed to be enjoying my vacation! On top of that, the Wi-fi did not work most of the time and the room felt muggy even though we had the air on. The only positives, and the only reasons I gave two stars instead of one, were the cleanliness of the room and the free airport shuttle, although we reserved our return shuttle the night prior for 7:30 the next morning and the shuttle was not ready on time. Again, no explanation or apology offered. The complimentary breakfast was nice but there was a limited selection. The poor customer service at this hotel will cause me to never stay at another Holiday Inn. I usually stay at Hampton Inn and I made a mistake choosing a different hotel for this stay.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

Was staying for a week in Tulsa - great central location for South Tulsa room, was great bed, was great responsive staff. TERRIBLE Internet. Was trying to do business online and the connection to their wifi was never consistent and caused great difficulties throughout the stay. If you don't have an amazing data plan don't stay here - in two days I managed to burn through my data plan since using my cell phone as a hot spot to try and boost the wifi. If you're a business traveler and need to connect to the office this is NOT the place to stay. Everything else was great just the ability to do simple things online FAIL epically. Screenshots of "you're not connected to the Internet" to remember my visit.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

We checked into a Holiday Inn Express in Petersburg, VA on 09/24/15 about 7 pm. We were assigned a room on the fifth floor. We walked into the room and

were shocked to see that the room had not been cleaned. The bed was unmade, there were towels on the floor etc. We returned to the desk and no one was there. We could hear a female voice somewhere in the back. We waited quite a while and no one came out.

I noticed the lobby phone so I dialed 0 and the phone at the desk rang. It rang about five times before the receptionist came out. She looked at us and said "What is wrong with your room?" We told her that the room we were assigned to was not cleaned. She just said "I will give you another room". There was not any type of apology from her. Just a simple "Sorry about that" would have been enough. She was so blasé about this I figured maybe that it was a common occurrence to send people to dirty rooms. We have stayed in many hotels through the years and we have never walked into a dirty room. The customer service was poor. The next room was fine. I did find it odd though that there weren't any towel racks in the bathroom.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

This hotel is brand new in South Austin, Texas off of E. Stassney Lane and was going to be my second stay within less than a week. That being said after working Tuesday 9/15/15 from 5:00 AM and arriving just after 10:00 PM that night I was buzzed into the hotel lobby and informed the clerk I was here to check in to my room. After several minutes of “Umm, well, hmm, sorry for the delay” I was told my room was ready. When I heard "room" I made sure to ask, “You mean suite?” I booked a king suite. The gentleman replied that the code booked for was for the hearing and or visually impaired guest and he had a regular room ready for me with two queen beds. I informed him I booked a king suite for a reason ahead of time and was paying far more than fair market value despite AAA or my IHG Gold Elite status and paying a lot higher than what I paid on the 9th.

The clerk stated he had King Suites but they were dirty and I could have 2 queen beds (same higher price). I told him that was not acceptable and I was then forced to drive back to San Antonio one and a half hours away tired, disgusted and questioning my brand loyalty to IHG/Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express & Suites. What made all of it worse, during this 30 minute "well, umm, hmmm" debacle was that a member in full uniform from Holiday Inn Express Inn & Suites housekeeping department was standing there next to me! One would think in the housekeeping department arena if you had dirty rooms that the housekeeper would go clean said dirty rooms so revenue could be generated and the guest that was booked incorrectly by Tonya could be turned into a happy brand loyal guest again just a week later!?

It appears my way of thinking was either too complicated or just a ridiculous way of thinking. I sent an email to the General Manager (La Tasha **) and I would hope that this email doesn't fall on hearing impaired ears and they would want to fix this before Tonya and the rest of the customer service oriented team ruins another brand loyal guest’s night of sleep. I would tread lightly before I would give this new hotel or for that matter any IHG hotel a chance. So much for that Gold Elite Status I was suckered into!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

TV fell from the wall onto my bed while I was in it. Hotel insurance did not want to pay the medical bill. Had Nationwide insurance which ultimately ended up forcing me to get an attorney to force them to pay a ER fee that they promised to pay. The tv fell from the wall along with portions of the wall mount onto my foot.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

A person alone in a wheelchair cannot get into the room. Bed too high for person to get onto it from wheelchair. Sofa bed was accessible but not comfortable. Person at front desk said the next morning, when my sister was checking out the next morning, the front desk person said it was adjustable... but how were we to know that? Toilet was too close to wall, my sister couldn't help her husband up. Shower situation not great. My sister couldn't hang up her dress. Closet rod too low. Who checks these rooms out?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I stayed at the Holiday Inn I-20 West Augusta, GA. At first I was wasn't sure if I wanted to stay but to my pleasant surprise, all the staff were professional and eager to serve. The breakfast was better than good with a lot of variety sausage, bacon, potatoes, fresh fruit, waffle etc. I would recommend this hotel. The room were neat and clean.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

My husband and I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn in St. Louis MO. The room was nice and very comfortable. The maid service was not good. I had a pair of sunglasses in the room that went missing. They were not expensive but that's beside the point. I was not offered a reimbursement of my loss. I did receive a phone call from a supervisor at the Holiday Inn who was very nice to me and said she would find out who was responsible for the missing glasses. I haven't heard anymore since then. I would just like to be reimbursed for my loss.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information