2.62/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

220 Hampton Inn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

A day stay in New York City celebrating granddaughter's birthday was awesome until we missed our train home! It was the last train and no buses available until the next day. We decided to stay in the city overnight was our best/safest option. We went to the Hampton Inn, hoping for a room on this busy Saturday night. A room for the night was available for a "price" we weren't prepared for. Jeremy ** - was on the front desk and searched for any and all discounts, he made a call and was able to give us a much better rate.

While staying in the city at Christmas on a Saturday night is expensive (in my standards) we so much appreciated Jeremy's efforts in securing discounts. He explained the free breakfast available in the morning and advised us that we could get it to go, as our train was leaving early in the morning. Our room was clean, comfortable and we felt secure. I will make it a point to stay at this hotel (41st Street in the theater district) on my next overnight stay in the city. Thank you Jeremy!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have stayed in other Hampton Inns before - as a reward member it is quick and easy to book. I decided to visit Florida for the first time and booked a stay at the "family friendly" Hampton on Calypso Cay Way. Looked great on the service. Prior to check in, manager decided to pre-charge my room. Was never made aware of this. My card declined because for safety reasons, I never pay my entire bill upfront. I got to my room that night. Pulled back the covers, bed had dirty soiled sheets. I looked in the fridge and food was left in it. The manager had selected this room for me so surely he is aware of its status.

Next day, same sheets. I called and asked someone came up with a fitted sheet. Asked how long I was here and said that although the sheets are changed every other day, she would make sure they were changed the next day. She kept her word. The room had things that needed repair and carpet was smelly. It was sprayed but needed a deep cleaning just like the bathroom vents. We rode on an elevator that only had one small can light working for 6 days. Dead roaches and cob webs in laundry room. I am allergic to dust so I tried to avoid those areas.

Day before check out the guests next door were making very loud and sexual noises until 3:00 am. I reported the noises after several hours but they escalated. I had to leave to catch an early flight. Signed out. Got a bill that reflected one price. Got home and my bank account was missing an additional 65 dollars. I called the Hampton manager and he said each hotel is different and they can charge how they want and how much at any time. I told him that it sounded illegal. I should be charged what you print out on my receipt. He became defensive and held to the fact that he could withhold what they want without the customer's knowledge at the hotels discretion.

The good side was most of the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good but after I noticed the coffee, tea and hot water were left out overnight, I just grabbed the yogurt and fruit on the way out. I was sad to see a place that seemed very loved once upon a time, looking partly kept. A loving staff and a defensive manager may be something to look into further. Overall, I rated them a 2. The 2 was for the staff. I would love to see the Hampton Inn revived but it would involve upper management and/stakeholders' involvement. I will not stay at this place again.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I stayed 3 night in a 220 a night suite and stayed sick the entire time. Then noticed black mold all over walls and ceiling. When I ask about it they told me it wasn't mold it would be fine. Then when checking out the manager gave me a free night for the mold but 8 hours later charged another 50+40+40+10 extra to my card saying since they couldn't rent room out for night. Like I put the mold there.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I was stuck in the area so I asked the counter staff if I could make a phone call for a taxi cab as my phone was dead. I knew hotels use phones so I entered. They curtly told me I could not. I would never stay at such a rude business.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We stayed at the Warner Robins location for 2 nights. We was there for a wedding. The overall stay was actually nice. I left early Sunday morning because I had to cook for other family and friends and wanted the food to be done by the time they checked out. My wife called and stated there was a smoking fee attached to the final bill. I never smoked in the room and when I contacted the GM, I was informed that the odor was strong, even though no one in management spoke to me about the issue. I would've given them access to the room so that they could confirm that no smell was coming from my room. I was not given that opportunity and that's the reason for the rating. I was actually told they made up their mind to charge me the day before I checked out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hampton Inn?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! They are LIARS and they STEAL!!! The manager is rude!!! The desk clerk is smart mouthed! They charged me for a smoking fee but I smoked in my car!!! How bogus and money hungry!!! I've called and left messages and the manager has yet to call me back!!! I am livid with the Hampton Inn!!! Not only did they falsely accuse me of smoking but they charged my card THREE MORE TIMES FOR VARIOUS AMOUNTS THAT THEY AREN'T TELLING ME!!! I repeat DO NOT STAY HERE AND BE A VICTIM LIKE I AM!!! The Hampton Inn in Mason on Beach Blvd is full of thieves and racist liars. Do not give them your money!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

We stayed 4 nights at Hampton Inn Fort Belvoir. The location was close to Fort Belvoir and Mount Vernon. The pool was clean, the exercise room even had a recumbent bike. The room was spacious and the beds comfortable. So why did I give them two stars? Check in, check out was a nightmare and it has not ended yet. I had reserved two rooms in my name. My sister was charged 581 bucks when Expedia had told me 533.12 with tax. First the clerk says the price I was quoted did not include tax. Then her story changed when I pulled my invoice up on my phone. Now she says, "Oh we charge 25 per day for incidentals up to 100.00." Now most motels will keep a card on file in case you make phone calls or steal a towel. These people take your money and sit on it for up to 30 days drawing interest.

My sister was ok with it so I let it go. Then I stepped up to check into the 2nd room. I asked them not to use the credit card I used to reserve the room. Simple request. I asked to pay for 2 nights and then come back in the morning and pay for the other 2 nights with my debit card as payday was the next day. The clerk said it could not be done. I said get the manager. She came back without the manager and claims, "Oh she is on the telephone but backs me up." I said then get corporate on the phone. Just then an asst manager came by and said, "DO WHAT THE CUSTOMERS WANTS." So I hand over my debit card and I get it back.

I go to dinner and see two transactions flash across my phone. I go to the front desk and the asst manager is there. I explain that my credit card has been charged for 2 days and my debit card has been charged for 4 days and the only authorized charge was 2 days on my debit card and now I will have an overdraft fee. She says she is sorry but cannot reverse the credit card charge. However I will receive one night free which means 3 nights will be reversed off the debit card. I am not happy but ok. When I check out after 4 nights I ask for a print out and the desk clerk (never saw her before) does not want to give me one. But finally I got one and it reflects a charge of 3 nights on my debit card... Only one has been credited off. So I ask for a printout on my credit card charges and she says she cannot give me that.

My husband comes over and he gets it. Turns out that not only did they not reverse the 2 days on the credit card, they ADDED 2.5 more days. So now I am standing there looking at 7 days charges for 4 days and I am supposed to be charged for only 3 days. I ask for the manager. No manager comes in until 8am. I think I would like that manager job! So I ask for contact information for corporate. The desk clerk says, "We do not have any information at this property on how to contact corporate." She says, "You can wait until 8am or you can call her."

Instead I call my credit union to tell them any charges from the Hampton Inn are bogus, fraudulent and unauthorized. My credit union tells me the credit card charges have all been reversed and it will show up that way by Wed. This is Monday morning of Labor Day. So I say, "Fine. I will keep an eye on it." Guess What? I checked my credit card and the charges are still sitting there pending. I checked my debit card and the charges are still sitting there pending only they say 581 bucks and not the 399 on my final print out. I have contacted Hilton.

They claim the property has been in contact with me. NO THEY HAVE NOT. Then they claim well they do not have your phone number. So I gave it to
Hilton even though I know full well Hampton Inn has my information. Still no phone call. Did not expect one. Hilton says they are sending me a gift card

for 100 usable only at Hilton properties. They should save their postage because the chances of me ever staying at a Hilton or a Hampton Inn are slim to nil.

All I want at this point to be charged properly and to stop having this issue take up valuable time in my life. I did not let it ruin my weekend with family and friends but it took up time it should not have. Now it has followed me wee wee all the way home. Just let this be over. I would stay at a sleazy motel in a bad part of town rather than stay at a Hampton Inn for free if I were given the choice.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We stayed in several Hampton Inns this past fall while driving between Cape Cod and Niagara Falls. We found them to be clean and up to date. Then this summer we stayed in Hadley, MA. with the same results.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We paid $130+$20=$150 for our stay of one night Aug. 2018. We was charge another $150 and said it's holding. Never was I ever charge twice and stay in 4 stars hotel. Now they telling me I have to wait couple of days to get back in my account. People needs their money. What if that's all I had. Smh... I will pay cash for now on. Not charging me extra in a 2 stars hotel... I wasn't the only one complaining.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

For going on 5 years, we have been Diamond Members. My husband stays at least 150 nights per year at HH properties for his corporate job, and that's just for work. He has the flexibility to choose where he stays. At first it was great earning all the rewards, and being able to stay in our leisure time for free. That is until we had a problem with a hotel, then another, and another, and a total of 3 major incidents/ruined trips at different HH hotels within the last 6 months! Hilton Garden Inn in Overland Park, KS had creepy crawly black bugs/ants in the room (have pics on TripAdvisor review to prove it) and they were understaffed because the maintenance man was cooking breakfast.

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach, NC had runny/undercooked eggs in their omelette, overcrowded pool (didn't get to use one time on a 6 day/5 night stay,) said ocean view, but could barely see it from the top floor of hotel, not handicap friendly beach access (had to park across the street, cross a busy intersection, and walk a long ways with beach equipment for a handicap person); and now (my current situation,) we are stuck in a Hampton Inn & Suites in Petoskey, MI for my husband's 50th special occasion birthday!

So we went to the indoor pool this evening, and I took a few steps into the pool and realized the big round light was floating in the pool on a wire, and I was concerned for safety and fear of being electrocuted I immediately got out. So while my husband is calling the front desk (she stated she was the only staff on duty so they were obviously understaffed,) I began entering the whirlpool. I took a few steps down, wasn't in more than 30 seconds tops (probably only like 15,) and I smelled very strong chemicals and my swim dress started expanding losing its elasticity, and went from higher thigh length to calf length and could fit 4 of me in it! So, essentially because they had too strong of chemicals, it ruined my swimsuit!

I have worn that swimsuit at several other HH properties this year, and not a one made it do that! Upon coming back to the hotel room, my husband realized his shorts had also lost their shape. They were hanging on him. and practically falling off. Nice birthday present to him, thanks Hilton Honors! This was the first night of 6 day/5 night stay that is centered around water (swimming, boating, hotel pool/whirlpool), and I am down my swimsuit, as well as it is not the time of year to buy swimsuits cause stores already have fall stuff in. This was around $100 swimsuit! It was one of my favorite ones, and now I can't buy it, possibly ever again.

Also, if the chemicals did that to my swimsuit, imagine what they do the body! I was feeling sick in the evening and had a flare up/swelling from the chemicals and the stress that the lack of customer service caused. I put so much effort to plan the perfect, special birthday for my husband, and they have ruined it! A family of 5 (mom/dad and kids) came down to use the pool while were showing the worker the problems and the front desk staff basically said it's down for maintenance. I wonder how many others booked this hotel in part for the amenities of a pool/whirlpool and weren't able to enjoy them? She stuck the light back in the pool so nobody would know that it was out.

This makes me very concerned for other people’s safety, especially since kids will be swimming in the pool. It could appear that nothing is wrong, when it obviously is not okay. So as we talked to the young front desk clerk that was working solo, she basically didn't know what to do. She called the manager, who said she'd be in the following morning. Meanwhile, I am not feeling comfortable to stay in this hotel, yet I'm trapped because the front desk won't help, and as we would find out, the customer service department didn't want to help. They could care less that we were Diamond. They wanted us to wait 48 hours (practically half of our trip) for the hotel to allegedly make it right. They can't make it rightfully. How are they going to shop for my swimsuit, give us 2 hours of our first evening back, give us a swim/whirlpool enjoyment for our first night or all of our trip for that matter.

I don't trust the pool or whirlpool. How are they going to reissue us dinner? How are they going to take the stressful situation that they caused back? How are they going to take back the sickness they caused me from the stressful customer service workers, and chemicals? If they had been doing proper maintenance of the pool area, it wouldn't be necessary. We talked to 2 representatives (one said her name was Bless...I had her spell it) and a supervisor (Yevette), and 2 of them were disrespectful at some point, one even had to apologize because she was wrong and could get in trouble.

I told the one if I damage hotel property, you are going to call the cops, have me arrested for destruction of property if it's over $500 (felony) and have me removed. Yet you can destroy our property, cause pain/suffering, ruin a special trip, get me stuck up here over 6 hours from home and tell me there's no other hotel to send me to, and basically say without saying the exact words, "Sorry about your luck!" That is not honorable, just, or moral! The one who wasn't disrespectful when I asked her if she would want her family treated the way my family was, she honestly admitted that she wouldn't. I said, “If you wouldn't want your family to be treated that way, why would you allow my family to be mistreated?” She got quiet, what could she say. I do realize her hands were tied because of a policy that is no good, but how frustrating as loyal Diamond members exclusive to HH properties.

My husband registered for the Marriott rewards program, and we will be switching immediately to their program. We have given HH several chances, been merciful, and forgiving but I don't trust them to handle us correctly anymore, and we don't want to give our money/husband's company's money to them any longer. Talking to their representatives was close to 2 hours of our vacation, we got nowhere, and we even missed dinner. They may seem like we are just trying to earn free points from complaining, but that is not the case!

These are real issues that I doubt any of them would want to deal with or subject their families too. They don't seem to want to admit wrongdoing, and their 48 hour policy allowing the manager to make it right seems like they just hope you'll drop it and go away/forget about it, and then they won't have to make it right. This company seems to care more about securing their money than they do treating their loyal customers in an honorable way. If this is how they treat their allegedly best customers (Diamond Members), I want no part of this organization! I do realize that there are some great HH hotels and staff that we've had the pleasure of meeting/staying at, but it's too much of a risk to stay with HH because you never know what you're going to get.

I used to think they were a reputable company and I valued them highly and thought they valued me. I do not feel that way any longer. I hope that they remedy the problem for those that may continue to patronage them. If they treat loyal, Diamond Members like us that way, then they'll treat anyone that way. Now we are hopeful that we can salvage the rest of our trip and make the most of it. Shame on you Hilton Honors! You should change your name to Hilton Dishonors! A very frustrated former Diamond Member.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Upon making my reservation, I was expecting my typical pleasant hotel stay with this company as I am a Hilton Honors member. The website never disclosed that this was a rowdy, noisy hotel or I would have booked elsewhere. After a 10 hour drive, I see this sign on the desk about the noise that is isn't a quiet hotel. When asked to be transferred to a quiet hotel, I was told it was non-refundable and non-transferable. (See picture.) I called Hilton Honors and was offered a refund that would have left me paying more for a last minute check in elsewhere and was left stranded there. The hotel reeked of mildew in which a sign in the actual hotel room apologized for that carpet afterwards. Due to no sleep, I ended up flipping my car over and incurring physical damages.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I called Reservations at Hampton Inn Las Vegas Red Rock Summerlin to book a room for three nights (July 10, 2018 for 3 nights). The automated phone voice gave several options including... reservations or Hilton Honors. I chose reservations since this is what I was interested in and not a member of Hilton Honors... so I believed I would talk with an agent who would only help me with my reservation. In addition to booking the room, the agent continuously kept pushing the Hilton Honors program. I told her no, I wasn't interested. She then proceeded to continue with offering Hilton Honors and would I be interested. I tried to respond again with a no, but she continued to talk over me. I then told her no again.

After the booking she wanted to offer me the opportunity to listen to a phone message about Hilton Honors. I interrupted her and told her I was confused in that I had already told her twice that I was not interested and I simply wanted to make a reservation which was complete by then. Because of the high pressure, I cancelled my booking and made reservations at another Hotel. I do not want to blame the agent as she was only doing what she was told to do. This is a corporate policy to push this program and is disrespectful to the Hampton Inn customers. I will never book a room at Hampton Inn again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We have had several disappointing experiences within a recent stay at a Hilton Hampton Inn property. Discussions with the hotel staff about dissatisfaction with our stay have been cordial, but for the most part have amounted to receiving lip service only. Given the less-than-helpful behavior of one of the managers, I decided to call customer service to ask a couple of questions about basic amenities that can be expected at Hilton properties and whether or not the facility is a Hilton owned (rather than franchisee operated) hotel.

The woman who answered the customer service line had a very thick foreign accent and was therefore a bit difficult to hear. I first tried to ask whether the property was Hilton owned and operated. She didn't seem to understand what I was asking. I then had to ask again. She didn't seem very interested in hearing that I had an unpleasant stay, and instructed me to go to the desk and talk to the manager! I asked her why she thought I was calling and that I had already done that! I asked for a customer service supervisor. She said there were none! When (with a rather incredulous tone of voice) exclaimed, "Whaaat???" she then transferred me to another line --- which turned out to be the front desk of the hotel!

I recognized the voice of the one of the (better) staff who had tried to help me earlier, but who by virtue of her non-administrative position, lacked the autonomy to do anything significant to address the situation. Ironically, she did offer my companion one of the Hilton Honors Member Welcome Bags, which by the way was not offered to either of us when checked into the hotel! That particular property's strategic lack of certain amenities (like specific breakfast foods) was something I wanted to know more about, because it had seemed to me that the property was not being managed according to the high standards I had come to know and trust as emblematic of the Hilton brand. But, given this recent experience with Hilton telephone customer service, I now have deep concern about the trustworthiness (or lack thereof) and overall value of the Hilton brand.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We stayed 4 nights at the Hampton Inn (HILTON) in Johnson City, TN this past week. Upon checking out, we discovered that we were being assessed $50.00 for incidentals; when asked what these "incidentals" could be, their response was a fine for "POSSIBLE" damage to the room. We asked the manager and the hotel maid to review the room for any possible damage; their response was "no problems noted!" SO! The Hampton Inn (HILTON) of Johnson City, TN fined us $50.00 for "NO APPARENT REASON!" This $50.00 was above and beyond the price paid for the room for 4 nights. This was a penalty! WORD to the WISE - "AVOID this hotel" unless you wished to be ripped out and charge an extra fee owing that they felt the need to fine the customer!

Original review: April 23, 2018

Made reservation for smoking room as that was all that is left. I have stayed at this property over times. Room was worse than I imagined with visible grease or some kinds of black stains on furniture. I asked for another room - I was given another key card. As I turned around the "manager" remarked in the voice of a 14 year old - THANK YOU. 3 members of the staff came up to the new room while I was on the phone with reservations to help me and banged on the door, threatened me, called the police and had me thrown off the property.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I always stay at Hampton Inn in Williamstown Kentucky, but this hotel was subpar, more than just old, the carpets were worn and torn, the bedding was thin and rough, service was below standard and the noise was out of control. I left one day early. This is what I would expect at a Motel 6.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The breakfast at the Hampton Inn in Wake Forest, NC was great. People were friendly and room was adequate but outside elevator was a urine smell. I booked thru a third party which cost me an extra 95$ which I reported to the Hampton but never got any type of reimbursement.

Original review: March 25, 2018

The room at the Hampton Inn Bainbridge, Georgia was clean but floor tile could be a danger if a wheelchair or cane is needed to get around. Flooring was uneven although it was recently built. It needs to be leveled in order to prevent accidents.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My stay at the Hampton Inn in Fairmont, WV was a great experience. I was there for a training with my work and stayed three days. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel was very clean and up to date. I didn't care for the pool area however, it didn't smell like chlorine and the water made my skin feel weird when I got out. I prefer a pool that smells clean.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My experience at Hampton in Orlando was comfortable and safe. It had a good value. I had a nice sized room, clean and quiet hotel, safe environment, and easy access. Breakfast was very nice-good service and nice selection of food. Excellent front counter and check-in!

Original review: March 20, 2018

The stay was great and the service was good. The staff was friendly and very helpful, the room was clean, the food was very good and the location of Hampton in Virginia Beach, VA was excellent.

Original review: March 18, 2018

The Hampton Inn in Denton Texas was OK but not up to par with what I have seen in a Hampton Inn. This inn needs help. If it was just a bad day then I will stay again but I will be sure to let everyone know to stay clear.

Original review: March 13, 2018

The Hampton Inn in San Diego, CA is a very nice hotel. Customer service was excellent, comfortable beds with down comforters and great showers. Overall we had a great experience and will definitely be coming back.

Original review: March 12, 2018

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and breakfast was great! The Hampton Inn in Barstow, CA is a great place for a business stay, and also for anyone wanting to hit up the outlet stores, as it is right next door. Rooms are large and comfortable, and the breakfast room is huge.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Oak Brook, IL - Booked the hotel for a family vacation. It was not made clear that the property has no pool. Otherwise, my wife would never have booked this hotel. We arrive with two kids looking forward all day to a pool, then no pool. On top of that, there is no internet. In today's marketplace, no internet is inexcusable. As reliable Hilton Honors members, we would appreciate at least a free night to make up for this unacceptable level of service and facilities.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

On vacation in Florida stayed 3 nights in Estero (Best customer service there, very impressed! Jason in particular.) I and two in Crystal River, both places have been recently "RENOVATED" by which I take it to mean that you have replaced the decent mattresses that you have always provided with medieval torture devices. If I have slept 3 hours a night It was a long sleep. The mattresses are AWFUL. NO CUSHIONING AT ALL on the top. Every single coil is projecting itself into your body all night long.

I have been staying in Hampton Inn for years and years, BECAUSE 90% of them are good quality places to stay... this trip have been a nightmare... No, actually... that would mean I had slept. I am now a sleepless zombie. And driving on Florida roads with no sleep is a recipe for disaster! Seriously, y'all dropped the ball on this. Tomorrow I am going to a Marriott so I can ** sleep. I am getting a Marriott card, and not looking back. You forfeited your patron's comfort for your pockets on this on and it's obvious.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Hampton Inn in Atlantic Beach, NC is a nice place to stay, but we found a blonde hair about 8" long on the top of the top sheet and saw a roach in our bathtub that went back into its hiding place before we could catch it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Moncton - Really can't find fault with anything, everything went smoothly. It was a clean quiet room which was all we asked for, check in and out was hassle free.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We have been staying here (Hampton Inn Lynnwood WA) for many years and have returned because of the owner’s friendliness. However, their rates have gone up ridiculously. Also, I have had a bit of a Health problem that has prevented me from traveling for about a year. Upon checking on my tier status... I have lost all my points. I am now staying at the Best Western with free hot breakfast.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Hampton Inn at Rehobeth Beach Delaware has great rates with clean and comfortable rooms featuring free hot or cold breakfast. What's not to like? Pleasant and professional staff make every stay a great one.

Hampton Inn expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hampton Inn was founded in 1984 as a member of the Holiday Inn family. Hilton Worldwide acquired it in 1999, and its name changed to Hampton by Hilton in 2007. There are currently over 2,100 locations around the world.

• Hilton property: Hilton owns Hampton, so guests can use their Hilton HHonors rewards at this brand. These properties also support the same community initiatives as Hilton Hotels and Suites.

• Satisfaction guarantee: Hampton has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. If a guest does not feel the hotel met their expectations of service or cleanliness, they will not be charged for their stay.

• Fresh bedding: Hampton’s Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed program ensures that guest bedding is always clean. Duvet covers are washed between each guest’s stay, and all bedding is white, making it easy for travelers to spot dirt.

• Free hot breakfast: All guests at Hampton receive a free hot breakfast every morning. Options include fresh waffles and oatmeal as well as cereal, yogurt, fruit and more. On the Run Breakfast Bags are available on weekday mornings for guests who need to get out the door quickly.

• Special discounts: Hampton offers special discounted rates to many groups, including AAA, CAA and AARP members as well as members of the military and their families and those 65 and older. They also have special promotions throughout the year.

• Best for: Hampton Inn is best for those who want good service but would rather save than have extra amenities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs