3.21/5
Based on 71 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

212 Hampton Inn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We paid $130+$20=$150 for our stay of one night Aug. 2018. We was charge another $150 and said it's holding. Never was I ever charge twice and stay in 4 stars hotel. Now they telling me I have to wait couple of days to get back in my account. People needs their money. What if that's all I had. Smh... I will pay cash for now on. Not charging me extra in a 2 stars hotel... I wasn't the only one complaining.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

For going on 5 years, we have been Diamond Members. My husband stays at least 150 nights per year at HH properties for his corporate job, and that's just for work. He has the flexibility to choose where he stays. At first it was great earning all the rewards, and being able to stay in our leisure time for free. That is until we had a problem with a hotel, then another, and another, and a total of 3 major incidents/ruined trips at different HH hotels within the last 6 months! Hilton Garden Inn in Overland Park, KS had creepy crawly black bugs/ants in the room (have pics on TripAdvisor review to prove it) and they were understaffed because the maintenance man was cooking breakfast.

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach, NC had runny/undercooked eggs in their omelette, overcrowded pool (didn't get to use one time on a 6 day/5 night stay,) said ocean view, but could barely see it from the top floor of hotel, not handicap friendly beach access (had to park across the street, cross a busy intersection, and walk a long ways with beach equipment for a handicap person); and now (my current situation,) we are stuck in a Hampton Inn & Suites in Petoskey, MI for my husband's 50th special occasion birthday!

So we went to the indoor pool this evening, and I took a few steps into the pool and realized the big round light was floating in the pool on a wire, and I was concerned for safety and fear of being electrocuted I immediately got out. So while my husband is calling the front desk (she stated she was the only staff on duty so they were obviously understaffed,) I began entering the whirlpool. I took a few steps down, wasn't in more than 30 seconds tops (probably only like 15,) and I smelled very strong chemicals and my swim dress started expanding losing its elasticity, and went from higher thigh length to calf length and could fit 4 of me in it! So, essentially because they had too strong of chemicals, it ruined my swimsuit!

I have worn that swimsuit at several other HH properties this year, and not a one made it do that! Upon coming back to the hotel room, my husband realized his shorts had also lost their shape. They were hanging on him. and practically falling off. Nice birthday present to him, thanks Hilton Honors! This was the first night of 6 day/5 night stay that is centered around water (swimming, boating, hotel pool/whirlpool), and I am down my swimsuit, as well as it is not the time of year to buy swimsuits cause stores already have fall stuff in. This was around $100 swimsuit! It was one of my favorite ones, and now I can't buy it, possibly ever again.

Also, if the chemicals did that to my swimsuit, imagine what they do the body! I was feeling sick in the evening and had a flare up/swelling from the chemicals and the stress that the lack of customer service caused. I put so much effort to plan the perfect, special birthday for my husband, and they have ruined it! A family of 5 (mom/dad and kids) came down to use the pool while were showing the worker the problems and the front desk staff basically said it's down for maintenance. I wonder how many others booked this hotel in part for the amenities of a pool/whirlpool and weren't able to enjoy them? She stuck the light back in the pool so nobody would know that it was out.

This makes me very concerned for other people’s safety, especially since kids will be swimming in the pool. It could appear that nothing is wrong, when it obviously is not okay. So as we talked to the young front desk clerk that was working solo, she basically didn't know what to do. She called the manager, who said she'd be in the following morning. Meanwhile, I am not feeling comfortable to stay in this hotel, yet I'm trapped because the front desk won't help, and as we would find out, the customer service department didn't want to help. They could care less that we were Diamond. They wanted us to wait 48 hours (practically half of our trip) for the hotel to allegedly make it right. They can't make it rightfully. How are they going to shop for my swimsuit, give us 2 hours of our first evening back, give us a swim/whirlpool enjoyment for our first night or all of our trip for that matter.

I don't trust the pool or whirlpool. How are they going to reissue us dinner? How are they going to take the stressful situation that they caused back? How are they going to take back the sickness they caused me from the stressful customer service workers, and chemicals? If they had been doing proper maintenance of the pool area, it wouldn't be necessary. We talked to 2 representatives (one said her name was Bless...I had her spell it) and a supervisor (Yevette), and 2 of them were disrespectful at some point, one even had to apologize because she was wrong and could get in trouble.

I told the one if I damage hotel property, you are going to call the cops, have me arrested for destruction of property if it's over $500 (felony) and have me removed. Yet you can destroy our property, cause pain/suffering, ruin a special trip, get me stuck up here over 6 hours from home and tell me there's no other hotel to send me to, and basically say without saying the exact words, "Sorry about your luck!" That is not honorable, just, or moral! The one who wasn't disrespectful when I asked her if she would want her family treated the way my family was, she honestly admitted that she wouldn't. I said, “If you wouldn't want your family to be treated that way, why would you allow my family to be mistreated?” She got quiet, what could she say. I do realize her hands were tied because of a policy that is no good, but how frustrating as loyal Diamond members exclusive to HH properties.

My husband registered for the Marriott rewards program, and we will be switching immediately to their program. We have given HH several chances, been merciful, and forgiving but I don't trust them to handle us correctly anymore, and we don't want to give our money/husband's company's money to them any longer. Talking to their representatives was close to 2 hours of our vacation, we got nowhere, and we even missed dinner. They may seem like we are just trying to earn free points from complaining, but that is not the case!

These are real issues that I doubt any of them would want to deal with or subject their families too. They don't seem to want to admit wrongdoing, and their 48 hour policy allowing the manager to make it right seems like they just hope you'll drop it and go away/forget about it, and then they won't have to make it right. This company seems to care more about securing their money than they do treating their loyal customers in an honorable way. If this is how they treat their allegedly best customers (Diamond Members), I want no part of this organization! I do realize that there are some great HH hotels and staff that we've had the pleasure of meeting/staying at, but it's too much of a risk to stay with HH because you never know what you're going to get.

I used to think they were a reputable company and I valued them highly and thought they valued me. I do not feel that way any longer. I hope that they remedy the problem for those that may continue to patronage them. If they treat loyal, Diamond Members like us that way, then they'll treat anyone that way. Now we are hopeful that we can salvage the rest of our trip and make the most of it. Shame on you Hilton Honors! You should change your name to Hilton Dishonors! A very frustrated former Diamond Member.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Upon making my reservation, I was expecting my typical pleasant hotel stay with this company as I am a Hilton Honors member. The website never disclosed that this was a rowdy, noisy hotel or I would have booked elsewhere. After a 10 hour drive, I see this sign on the desk about the noise that is isn't a quiet hotel. When asked to be transferred to a quiet hotel, I was told it was non-refundable and non-transferable. (See picture.) I called Hilton Honors and was offered a refund that would have left me paying more for a last minute check in elsewhere and was left stranded there. The hotel reeked of mildew in which a sign in the actual hotel room apologized for that carpet afterwards. Due to no sleep, I ended up flipping my car over and incurring physical damages.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I called Reservations at Hampton Inn Las Vegas Red Rock Summerlin to book a room for three nights (July 10, 2018 for 3 nights). The automated phone voice gave several options including... reservations or Hilton Honors. I chose reservations since this is what I was interested in and not a member of Hilton Honors... so I believed I would talk with an agent who would only help me with my reservation. In addition to booking the room, the agent continuously kept pushing the Hilton Honors program. I told her no, I wasn't interested. She then proceeded to continue with offering Hilton Honors and would I be interested. I tried to respond again with a no, but she continued to talk over me. I then told her no again.

After the booking she wanted to offer me the opportunity to listen to a phone message about Hilton Honors. I interrupted her and told her I was confused in that I had already told her twice that I was not interested and I simply wanted to make a reservation which was complete by then. Because of the high pressure, I cancelled my booking and made reservations at another Hotel. I do not want to blame the agent as she was only doing what she was told to do. This is a corporate policy to push this program and is disrespectful to the Hampton Inn customers. I will never book a room at Hampton Inn again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We have had several disappointing experiences within a recent stay at a Hilton Hampton Inn property. Discussions with the hotel staff about dissatisfaction with our stay have been cordial, but for the most part have amounted to receiving lip service only. Given the less-than-helpful behavior of one of the managers, I decided to call customer service to ask a couple of questions about basic amenities that can be expected at Hilton properties and whether or not the facility is a Hilton owned (rather than franchisee operated) hotel.

The woman who answered the customer service line had a very thick foreign accent and was therefore a bit difficult to hear. I first tried to ask whether the property was Hilton owned and operated. She didn't seem to understand what I was asking. I then had to ask again. She didn't seem very interested in hearing that I had an unpleasant stay, and instructed me to go to the desk and talk to the manager! I asked her why she thought I was calling and that I had already done that! I asked for a customer service supervisor. She said there were none! When (with a rather incredulous tone of voice) exclaimed, "Whaaat???" she then transferred me to another line --- which turned out to be the front desk of the hotel!

I recognized the voice of the one of the (better) staff who had tried to help me earlier, but who by virtue of her non-administrative position, lacked the autonomy to do anything significant to address the situation. Ironically, she did offer my companion one of the Hilton Honors Member Welcome Bags, which by the way was not offered to either of us when checked into the hotel! That particular property's strategic lack of certain amenities (like specific breakfast foods) was something I wanted to know more about, because it had seemed to me that the property was not being managed according to the high standards I had come to know and trust as emblematic of the Hilton brand. But, given this recent experience with Hilton telephone customer service, I now have deep concern about the trustworthiness (or lack thereof) and overall value of the Hilton brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hampton Inn?

Original review: June 12, 2018

We stayed 4 nights at the Hampton Inn (HILTON) in Johnson City, TN this past week. Upon checking out, we discovered that we were being assessed $50.00 for incidentals; when asked what these "incidentals" could be, their response was a fine for "POSSIBLE" damage to the room. We asked the manager and the hotel maid to review the room for any possible damage; their response was "no problems noted!" SO! The Hampton Inn (HILTON) of Johnson City, TN fined us $50.00 for "NO APPARENT REASON!" This $50.00 was above and beyond the price paid for the room for 4 nights. This was a penalty! WORD to the WISE - "AVOID this hotel" unless you wished to be ripped out and charge an extra fee owing that they felt the need to fine the customer!

Original review: April 23, 2018

Made reservation for smoking room as that was all that is left. I have stayed at this property over times. Room was worse than I imagined with visible grease or some kinds of black stains on furniture. I asked for another room - I was given another key card. As I turned around the "manager" remarked in the voice of a 14 year old - THANK YOU. 3 members of the staff came up to the new room while I was on the phone with reservations to help me and banged on the door, threatened me, called the police and had me thrown off the property.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I always stay at Hampton Inn in Williamstown Kentucky, but this hotel was subpar, more than just old, the carpets were worn and torn, the bedding was thin and rough, service was below standard and the noise was out of control. I left one day early. This is what I would expect at a Motel 6.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The breakfast at the Hampton Inn in Wake Forest, NC was great. People were friendly and room was adequate but outside elevator was a urine smell. I booked thru a third party which cost me an extra 95$ which I reported to the Hampton but never got any type of reimbursement.

Original review: March 25, 2018

The room at the Hampton Inn Bainbridge, Georgia was clean but floor tile could be a danger if a wheelchair or cane is needed to get around. Flooring was uneven although it was recently built. It needs to be leveled in order to prevent accidents.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My stay at the Hampton Inn in Fairmont, WV was a great experience. I was there for a training with my work and stayed three days. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel was very clean and up to date. I didn't care for the pool area however, it didn't smell like chlorine and the water made my skin feel weird when I got out. I prefer a pool that smells clean.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My experience at Hampton in Orlando was comfortable and safe. It had a good value. I had a nice sized room, clean and quiet hotel, safe environment, and easy access. Breakfast was very nice-good service and nice selection of food. Excellent front counter and check-in!

Original review: March 20, 2018

The stay was great and the service was good. The staff was friendly and very helpful, the room was clean, the food was very good and the location of Hampton in Virginia Beach, VA was excellent.

Original review: March 18, 2018

The Hampton Inn in Denton Texas was OK but not up to par with what I have seen in a Hampton Inn. This inn needs help. If it was just a bad day then I will stay again but I will be sure to let everyone know to stay clear.

Original review: March 13, 2018

The Hampton Inn in San Diego, CA is a very nice hotel. Customer service was excellent, comfortable beds with down comforters and great showers. Overall we had a great experience and will definitely be coming back.

Original review: March 12, 2018

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and breakfast was great! The Hampton Inn in Barstow, CA is a great place for a business stay, and also for anyone wanting to hit up the outlet stores, as it is right next door. Rooms are large and comfortable, and the breakfast room is huge.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Oak Brook, IL - Booked the hotel for a family vacation. It was not made clear that the property has no pool. Otherwise, my wife would never have booked this hotel. We arrive with two kids looking forward all day to a pool, then no pool. On top of that, there is no internet. In today's marketplace, no internet is inexcusable. As reliable Hilton Honors members, we would appreciate at least a free night to make up for this unacceptable level of service and facilities.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

On vacation in Florida stayed 3 nights in Estero (Best customer service there, very impressed! Jason in particular.) I and two in Crystal River, both places have been recently "RENOVATED" by which I take it to mean that you have replaced the decent mattresses that you have always provided with medieval torture devices. If I have slept 3 hours a night It was a long sleep. The mattresses are AWFUL. NO CUSHIONING AT ALL on the top. Every single coil is projecting itself into your body all night long.

I have been staying in Hampton Inn for years and years, BECAUSE 90% of them are good quality places to stay... this trip have been a nightmare... No, actually... that would mean I had slept. I am now a sleepless zombie. And driving on Florida roads with no sleep is a recipe for disaster! Seriously, y'all dropped the ball on this. Tomorrow I am going to a Marriott so I can ** sleep. I am getting a Marriott card, and not looking back. You forfeited your patron's comfort for your pockets on this on and it's obvious.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Hampton Inn in Atlantic Beach, NC is a nice place to stay, but we found a blonde hair about 8" long on the top of the top sheet and saw a roach in our bathtub that went back into its hiding place before we could catch it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Moncton - Really can't find fault with anything, everything went smoothly. It was a clean quiet room which was all we asked for, check in and out was hassle free.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We have been staying here (Hampton Inn Lynnwood WA) for many years and have returned because of the owner’s friendliness. However, their rates have gone up ridiculously. Also, I have had a bit of a Health problem that has prevented me from traveling for about a year. Upon checking on my tier status... I have lost all my points. I am now staying at the Best Western with free hot breakfast.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Hampton Inn at Rehobeth Beach Delaware has great rates with clean and comfortable rooms featuring free hot or cold breakfast. What's not to like? Pleasant and professional staff make every stay a great one.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I never actually spent a night at Hampton Inn Sacramento, CA but I was there so often with clients for workshops and seminars that I had firsthand accounts of the good and very seldom any bad. I knew the clients, because many were the same over and over so they certainly weren't shy in telling the truth. In general each and everyone loved it, from check in, cocktail time where they served appetizers so good and filling that you didn't have to go out for dinner and it was free. Breakfast was included too and it wasn't a simple continental stale pastry, boxed cereal type of breakfast either. I know because when we had our meetings, we arrived early to eat breakfast with our clients at no charge either.

We also had a special rate for all this because we had meetings there at least 4 times a month, if not more. Sometimes we had two running simultaneously. The people that worked there couldn't do enough to take care of everything we or our clients needed, they even provided bowls of candy and I am not talking wrapped hard candies, try candy bars, all kinds. It is a nice place to stay. The rooms are very nice and cozy too!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Hampton Inn Gastonia, North Carolina. People occupying in their job were extremely approachable. I felt as they were catering only me. The continental breakfast was so beautifully done. The maids' services were outstanding.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Hotel (Hampton Inn Phoenix, Az) had no side doors and had to walk a bit to enter building. Gave old todo snack bags and needed detail cleaning on room. As always workers were friendly, beds comfortable and hotel has all the necessities. Orange and apple juice was very good too.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Stayed at Hampton Inn in Morristown, TN and was charged for an extra room I didn't stay in. When I called the front desk couldn't help and no manager was there... Now I have to pay an overdraft fee because of these bright people working the front desk... will not be back to stay at any Hampton Inn ever.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Hampton Inn Big Spring, Texas is very nice, beds are comfy, rooms are a good size, front desk staff helpful. The only thing we didn't care for and would suggest improvement was the quality of the breakfast. Real, scrambled eggs, real potatos, would be good.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

The front desk at Hampton Inn California was nice and professional. The check was easy because I had already made my reservations... The room was clean. I would definitely stay there again. Plus the shuttle to the casino was every 30 minutes.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Our stay was extended because we didn't know exactly where we were going next. Plus we had to wait for the movers to deliver our stuff from Washington State to Florida, as well as the transporter of our car. Therefore, we ended up staying almost 3 weeks... Ouch! But except for the bed everything else was just fine at Hampton Inn, Tarpon Springs, FL

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

The room at Hampton Inn Roanoke Virginia was spacious and comfortable. The amenities were adequate. The breakfast was served hot and delicious. And the staff were personable and pleasant.

Hampton Inn expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hampton Inn was founded in 1984 as a member of the Holiday Inn family. Hilton Worldwide acquired it in 1999, and its name changed to Hampton by Hilton in 2007. There are currently over 2,100 locations around the world.

• Hilton property: Hilton owns Hampton, so guests can use their Hilton HHonors rewards at this brand. These properties also support the same community initiatives as Hilton Hotels and Suites.

• Satisfaction guarantee: Hampton has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. If a guest does not feel the hotel met their expectations of service or cleanliness, they will not be charged for their stay.

• Fresh bedding: Hampton’s Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed program ensures that guest bedding is always clean. Duvet covers are washed between each guest’s stay, and all bedding is white, making it easy for travelers to spot dirt.

• Free hot breakfast: All guests at Hampton receive a free hot breakfast every morning. Options include fresh waffles and oatmeal as well as cereal, yogurt, fruit and more. On the Run Breakfast Bags are available on weekday mornings for guests who need to get out the door quickly.

• Special discounts: Hampton offers special discounted rates to many groups, including AAA, CAA and AARP members as well as members of the military and their families and those 65 and older. They also have special promotions throughout the year.

• Best for: Hampton Inn is best for those who want good service but would rather save than have extra amenities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Hampton Inn Company Information

hamptoninn3.hilton.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business