Hampton Inn

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Seattle after coming off an Alaskan cruise. We wanted to relax and spend some time by the pool. Upon check-in it was discovered the hotel is under major renovation. There was no carpet on the hallway floors and the rooms on either side of us were being worked on. All the workers were wearing masks to prevent them from breathing in the fumes from the paint, glue, drywall, etc. I went to the desk immediately after checking in and was told they work until 5 and all floors were under renovation so it wouldn't matter where in the hotel I was located. I asked about the pool and I was advised it was not open at this time as it too was under renovation. I did request to speak to a manager at that time and was told someone would call my room. I never heard from anyone. Upon checking out I requested to speak to a manager but it was very early and the manager was not in yet.

I did call later that day and spoke to a manager and was told they would process a refund and it should show up on my credit card in 5 - 7 business days. When it never showed up I called back and was told I had to call the Advanced Purchase department since that's how I made my reservation. I called there and they did a conference call with Esther at the hotel I stayed at and went over the procedure to process the refund. I still have not received the credit on my credit card. I called the local hotel again today and was told by the manager David ** I would need to contact another area and they can process my refund. I called 1-888-240-6152 and spoke to a Laneta. She advised me since they didn't process the payment they cannot process the refund back to my credit card. She indicated she would contact the local hotel and confirm it has not been processed yet (she said there were no notes a refund was in progress) and she would issue a check.

I did tell her how frustrated I was especially when I found out there were no notes in the system documenting any of my other calls. I have stayed at Hampton Hotels many times for personal and business reasons but have never had to request a refund. I will definitely think twice about booking another reservation with Hampton Inn, or any of their affiliates, whether for business or pleasure.

Poor Manager services. I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Walnut Grove in Memphis. During this stay I was not aware of some of the rooms not equipped with fridge nor microwave. There was nothing I could do at this point. So I had to go out and buy a cooler to keep my beverages and food cold for my family. My room had broken drawer, bed sheets and pillows had black stains on them that didn't look very clean. Shower head was not adjustable so when taking a shower water would get all over bathroom floor. You could hear others being intimate through walls. Breakfast area oatmeal very watery. Food was not great at all and when eating breakfast water came dripping from ceiling onto chair and table... how disgusting and was told that it comes from a non working ice machine on another floor.

When checking out I ask to speak with manager... stated to the manager some of my concerns. She was very tacky about the situation and threw in my face my points that I had stayed there with and basically said there is nothing and simply nothing she can do for me so I says, "Should I contact guest services?" She says, "That's up to you". So yes I have contacted Hilton on numerous occasions regarding different concerns. Nothing has been done about the rudeness of some of their staff members and always says someone will call me. Well no one calls and when I called to check on status of complaints the reps puts in bad wordings on me as if I'm the bad person.

Not to mention I was able to put a review out pertaining to my stay and shortly after the review I signed on to my account and notice this same manager basically was able to take some of my points 20000 and say they were loaned to me. How are you gonna take away points that you nor your hotel never gave to me. Second time this happening to me with Hilton. How are they just able to play in your account like that a major concern to me. Not trustworthy. If they can do that then they just may think they can play with your debit credit card. Help me understand. I need answers.

My family and I just spent the last week staying in four different Hampton Inns in four different states (Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Missouri.). Each location was very similar. Below were the Pros and Cons. Pros: Customer service was fast and friendly. The rooms were all updated and maintained. Housekeeping was timely and housekeepers were friendly. One location the housekeeper left a friendly note to the would be customer. This was a great touch. Parking was sufficient and had plenty of places. Breakfast was average but tasty.

Cons: One location in Springfield, Missouri had bad reviews of people stealing cars and breaking into cars. We had to buy a steering wheel lock from the local Walmart just in case. We did not have any problems. Never saw the Hotel Manager. Typically it is good to see the management talking to customers and ensuring everything is ok. Lack of advertisement of the Hilton Honors app. I found the app on my own on the last day of our trip. Would have been nice to know about the app before hand. Thanks.

I stayed at Hampton Inn in Pennsylvania and booked the hotel thru Priceline. When I got to the hotel, the manager had the reservation, but still charged my credit card, saying that the credit card did not go thru. When I got back a few days later, I found out I was double charged by both, Priceline and Hampton Inn. I am tired of being double charged by Hampton Inn. If I was not vigilant I would be getting double charged. I am very unhappy about this.

Hampton Inn Hot Springs - Told the reservation lady I didn't know if 7 of us (tennis tournament) would be staying Wed through Sat or Sun. She said I should make it to Sun and I could cancel 24 hours before if I didn't need Saturday night because of weather and told them on Wed night when the schedule changed. Management did not give us AARP rate for Fri. I was not told the rate went up on Fri. Was only given one rate. I had to talk to Hampton Inn guest services and they told me that the manager didn't have to cancel Sat night. We were told we would get an email instead of a paper bill. Thursday we asked to speak to the manager face to face. Never happened. He always sent messages through an employee who had to speak to him to get an okay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hampton Inn?

We checked in on April 7 to April 29, 2017. We were there for a funeral. The morning of the 28th (day of funeral), my husband took a shower, then it was my turn and the shower broke. Wasn't able to take a shower. Had to go to funeral. Didn't have time for them to fix shower. However, when we got back spoke to manager Seth, he was very professional and show some concerned and he did apologized for inconvenience. Changed our room and gave us 50% off, the other room he gave us, had a dirty microwave and the bathroom vent didn't work. The room to us was not worth the money. The hotel is dated and needs to updated. I was so disappointed with the hotel. I must say the customer service was very good. However the continental breakfast was very good!

This is kind of crazy. Hilton charged my account for staying at their Hampton Inn in Bluffton SC while in Brunswick Ga. My credit card company shut my credit card down from charges in two different states. I still don't understand why they charged my card. I called the front desk and I was told; I didn't have reservations so no charges were made. It appeared on my CC account and originated from that hotel in Bluffton. I was transferred to billing with no explanation. CC company cancelled my card, trick is I'm going out of town Thursday and need my card. The next credit card on file with Hilton will be my prepaid card from Walmart. What's even better, it's a Hilton honor card.

The air in our room did not work and the guests above us sounded like they were having a party. Called the front desk and told them about both issues. I was told to unplug the wall unit and try it again, still didn't work. I was also told they would see what was going on upstairs, that didn't work either as the noise continued beyond 12am. The staff was not interested in helping with either issue. Worst night ever! I will never stay at a Hampton Inn or associated hotel again! Definitely not worth the $120 I paid for the night! I would rate them zero stars if this site would let me!

I arrived at Hampton Inn Suites 2 weeks ago. Ever since then me and my mother and my fiance felt at home. The whole staff, cleaning crew and engineering department are outstanding. The all stars of this awesome hotel are Miss Letty, Miss Hope, Miss Heidi, Miss Angela, Miss Alyssa, Miss Taylor and Miss Courtney and the engineering department Mr. **. When you have an outstanding team you bless them and they would even do even more for this awesome company.

Dirtiest hotel I have stayed - Hampton Inn in Limerick Pa. The rooms are dirty, the staff are not accommodating, the bathrooms are filthy and sheets and towels are dirty with stains. I will never stay in Hampton Inns. Very bad.

We stayed a weekend to visit our daughter in mid March. I made reservation using Honors club in mid February and had to pay in advance for reservation for special price. I had to give up any right to cancel reservation. We had a very nice stay in a very nice suite. After returning home I noticed another charge on my credit card. They charged me again for the same stay. After a few phone calls they told me they were sorry and would credit my card. If I didn't have the time to look at my card online or go over bill I would have paid 2x. This doesn't seem to be a very honest way to do business. Will have to rethink staying here again. Again they were very nice on phone. Very sorry but if I didn't catch this it would be money out of my pocket. I wonder how many others this has happened too that didn't catch it.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Thank you for sending the two certificates. However, I'm not sure we or any of our family members will use them considering how poorly we were treated by management, Marrissa at the Carlsbad, NM Hampton.

Todd of Waco, TX on

Original Review

After a long 8 hour drive to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Carlsbad, NM my credit card was charged $200 more than the initial 2 e-mailed confirmations! I was explained by the manager that this was just a soft, temporary hit to my account and would fall off in 72 hours. She also told me she would go over the daily charges with us and make sure that they are corrected. She never did any of that. She then told us she would "comp." the first day, NEVER done.

After staying there for 3 days the sheets were still not changed! I called down to the front desk and asked them if they could be changed which led to the manager abruptly calling our room in a hostile manner asking if she could come up and talk to us. She came up and proceeded to shove a clipboard in my face saying that their cleaning people signed off on the sheets being changed which I showed her they weren't and had to prove to her they weren't! WHAT A STRESSFUL experience for the entire week and it was suppose to be a relaxing vacation!

I have stayed at Hampton Inn several times. We were always satisfied. NOT THIS THIS TIME. Last week we stayed at the Hampton Inn on rt 17 Mahwah New Jersey. When we checked Stephinie at the desk made us feel not welcome. I came back to desk because the key card did not work. She said (nasty) "you have to wait. I am busy." I said "I want to get in my room." She said "you will have to wait." At the time no one was at the desk.

That night when I came in I asked about a $130 charge. That clerk said "I don`t know." A man next to her said "we hold that in case you damage the room." I could not believe what I was hearing. That night they took another $325 out of my account. In the am I called the manager Michele. "You get it back when you check out." The room rate was $118 including tax. I complained to my bank. I called Michele and told her "put my money back or I will press charges." The money was credited back. We had to be in the area a few more days. We ran from that place. I called the Hampton Inn in Nanuet NY. It is only a 10 minute on the NY Thruway. I called the desk and spoke to Ebany. Her friendly voice said "come on over. We will be waiting for ya." When I arrived with my wife Tall Ebony and a man (I think) Justin saw us and said welcome. They were so nice.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Pennsville NJ many times and never had major problems but this time (it is our last time) the desk staff lied about what she had told me on the phone. The manager said nothing, promised to follow up but did nothing and tried to pass it off to reservation, who then passed it off to customer service who could do nothing and passed it back to the hotel. I was assured I would be contacted within 72 business hours. Not sure what that means since the hotel is open 24/7. It has now been 7 days and so far nothing. If they hope I will just go away, they are sadly mistaken!!

I had very worst experience from Hampton Inn Chelsea. I checked in to Hotel on 6th Feb and check out the hotel on 19th Feb after clearing all my balance to zero. My stay was in Room No. 607. When I checked my bank statement on 21st, I could see that they have deducted $1635.16 from my account on 20th Feb (My statement shows in IST, so it is showing 21st Feb). I called the Hotel front desk and they are saying that there is no such transaction reflecting in their account. I am working with Bank fraud department for a investigation on this. I never had any such worst experience with any other Hotels.

I booked a room at the Hampton Inn located at 6082 Transit Rd Lockport NY. I booked this room 2 days in advance for Valentines Day 2/14/17. It is new and super convenient due to it being down the street from my home. Me and my significant other checked out the following morning and I decided to pay cash. They then informed me that it may take up to 3 days for them to release the hold on my card.

Later on that night I checked my bank statement and was mortified to see that in addition to the $150 they also were holding $250. I called to inquire about the charge and was informed that they were charging me for smoking! I assured the manager that was impossible. I don't smoke! I have more respect for my name than to tarnish it that way! And I live literally 4 minutes away it's not worth the $250 plus the $150 I already paid. I informed him my boyfriend does smoke cigarettes but smoked in his vehicle so I am basically being charged for him smelling like cigarettes? The manager then says in fact he was present when all this was verified and they have evidence, I asked what was the evidence he stated the evidence was the smell! No seriously! So I informed him that I would have to file a complaint. He says coldly that he already notified his superiors.

Later that evening my fiance calls and apologizes to management for smelling like smoke but reassures him that he didn't! Management then tells my fiance that in addition to a "cigarette smell" they also smelled marijuana! Now I talked to the same manager and was never informed of this! So I have contacted the BBB as well as all the proper corporate channels at the Hilton and they all have treated me with no regard. To them what management says is law. So my money is good but my word isn't...Just terrible.

I have even reached out and asked an advocate to step in and maybe address the situation more formally. In their response they gave a basic timeline of my stay except they referred to me as the second guest and fiance as the main individual. Which is completely false because I...a woman...booked the hotel and checked in and out. I point this out to my advocate who felt that was a valid point! And should be because they made everything up!

In between hearing a response I check my statement again and noticed they took the $250 and additional $250 was pending... so they are trying to take it twice! I called them and they were acting so dismissive about it told me to wait til Monday! So I then went down there about 30 minutes later to physically show them my bank statement. The female I spoke to agreed that it was strange and to make sure I come back Monday if it was still the same.

Before I can make it home I receive an email from my advocate stating that management was not willing to refund me because I just left complaining and smelling like marijuana! How convenient! These people have gotten $400 out of me and have the nerve to have an additional $250 of my money tied up. And no one seems to care! I feel so violated just robbed! You'd think they'd acknowledge all the effort I have gone through! Something has to been done! They just took my money!

I have been to a number of Hampton Inn hotels. Most experiences went pretty well. I didn't have the problems mentioned by a number of other posters. I've had several particularly good experiences with the Hampton Inn in Clinton MS. The staff is the friendliest and most helpful of any of the Hampton Inns I have visited (especially the front desk and food services), not that the other locations weren't friendly and helpful, but the one in Clinton MS more so. JoJo, who does the breakfast service is always polite and cheerful, and will do her best to get you what you need for breakfast. It's been a great experience each visit. Kudos to the staff and management for such a well run and amenable location.

The hotel is in Carson City Nevada. It is welcoming and clean. We got very fair price for what we received. The continental breakfast was fantastic along with the pool and clean rooms. They were accommodating in providing additional towels, toothpaste. We plan on staying there again in the future.

The Hampton Inn at Birmingham, Alabama was a very nice place with a great staff! Excellent customer service at an excellent value. It was very comfortable and there was nothing wrong with my stay. The hotel was clean and smoke-free. The staff were friendly knowledgeable and polite and energetic. The continental breakfast was wonderful, full of choices, satisfying and the one employee running it was very friendly and welcoming.

I love the Hampton Inn at the exit of I-95 in Georgia. It is not 5-star but gives us the comforts we need and I settle for the best of what I can afford. They have never let me down. They always have just what we need. Great comfy beds which mean a good night's sleep and breakfast waffles. Customer service was great and their staff were helpful, no problems at all. They even have cookies at night and milk if you ask. We belong to a travel club that gives us great prices.

Since Sunday, today being Wednesday (going on 4 days), I have been contacting the hotel General Manager and Redstone Bank to correct the charges that have been additionally took out of my account. I have been emailing the General Manager - Rebecca, back and forth for several days now and as of last night, Wednesday - 1-3-17 at 9:36 pm I would be refunded and charged back the additional charges they have took out - $273.13 and $162.98 and would see this in my bank statements Wednesday morning when I woke up, today. I wake up to see I HAVE NO MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT! They withdrew the 273.13 instead of recharging it to my account.

I have went to the bank and Redstone as personally emailed the lady to show proof that money is coming out of my account not back into it. The general manager seems to say her and her help desk is showing everything is correct on their end when Redstone is clearly showing and stating my bank statements and the transactions being took out!!

My HONOR experience became a nightmare my last day of stay. I requested at 10:50 am on 11/28 for an 11:30 am checkout as the elevators were still not working and I needed to use the stairs to carry out luggage, bags, and personal effects after a 5 day stay. I requested Steve a front desk agent for the additional 30 minutes. Steve, YOUR front desk agent took my hotel room key, answered 2 calls, and about 3 minutes later, turned to me and advised as if he was a Grand Master or better yet, GOD, he would grant me 30 additional minutes to check out and "to make sure I made it quick." 5 days, $533.20 and 2 days of stairs, I was not going to be quick about anything. Steve called my room at 11:17 am and asked if I were staying another day, I advised I just spoke to him and advised I needed until 11:30, I advised this at 10:50 am. Steve stated he told me to hurry.

I proceeded to tell Steve, his family and All of Hilton where to go and how to get there. He threatened to charge me for another day. Great! Stop payment on $533.20 and a new card later, I spoke with one of the laziest looking lackadaisical person I have ever met, Heather **, GM, who apologized and apologized for my "experience". I advised, "Do not apologize for Steve's disgusting behavior correct it." Oh did I also mention Steve proceeded to harass me and call my room several times after I reminded he, his family and all of Hilton where to go? Does Hilton honestly believe they Will Ever receive my business again? I have several hundred followers, friends and contacts between Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. They already know about my experience at your Hotel. Also 225, 000+ sorors throughout the world whom I have formerly drafted a proposal to boycott specifically Hampton Inn/Hilton.

Also Division of Hotels, Motels has been informed as well as my attorney because what "Steve" did was out and out racism, sexism, discrimination and please do not believe otherwise. There was not an issue the entire duration of my stay until I came into contact with Steve both during check in (save some food for me says Steve during the meet and greet) to his disgusting behavior at checkout. Another pissed off ** guy who has not been raised and does not know simple human dignity and respect, however once I finish with Hampton and Steve humility will be Steve's humble slice of pie. I promise.

My first Hampton Inn experience was in 2007 in Pueblo, CO. It was topnotch, everything was great. Since then I've noticed the quality decline but the price has not. My recent stay was in Tucson, AZ this last weekend, what a difference from 07. Now Hampton Inn has stooped down to provide what little amenities available housed in the bathroom. So if your spouse is going #2 in the bathroom and you want to make coffee or get some ice you are going to have to wait. There was an unpleasant smell about the entire hotel and they should switch the name from "continental breakfast" to "coffee and a snack," so you can be prepared to buy breakfast before you head out for the day. It's time to dump Hampton Inn and move on to something better.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I had asked that my post not to be published as the mattered had been resolved. Could you please delete my previous post. There was a misunderstanding that was corrected to everyone's satisfaction.

Dina of Woodbridge, ON on

Original Review

Had made multiple room reservations online in early September and received confirmations for all my rooms with confirmation numbers. Last Thursday I received an email from the hotel indicating they have canceled my rooms. Continued to lie about why they did this until it was finally confirmed it was an error on their part after continually being dishonest. I spoke to the hotel manager David and asked for the Regional Manager's phone number. Would not provide it. Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Do not book with this hotel as confirmation numbers mean nothing to them.

Hampton Inn, Parsippany, NJ - First, This Hampton Inn and a Hilton Hotel share the same building - very confusing. The beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable. After I arrived and settled in, I noticed that there was only a half roll of toilet paper in the bathroom, and that there were not enough hangers in the closet. On my way out that evening, I asked one of the desk clerks, who might have been the manager, to please have more toilet paper rolls and 4 hangers to be brought to my room, and I gave him my room number, twice. When I returned several hours later, nothing had been delivered to my room. No one answered the phone, so I had to go out to the front desk and ask again for hangers and toilet paper. Also, the window curtains did not close, due to poor design, and since I was on the 1st floor, anyone could have looked in. Poor service, and bad design!!

My wife and I normally search for cheap rooms. But we decided we was tired of not knowing what to expect when we get there. So we figured we would spend more money and everything would be perfect. The room is super nice but everything is not perfect. It is cold out and there is only decaf coffee and it's ice cold. My wife and I mentioned it and the front desk acted as if we hadn't even spoke.

It saddens me as I have stayed with this hotel on more than 10 occasions. As long as you don't forget something everything is fine. They can tell more lies rather than saying "we made a mistake and we are sorry." My Tiffany's necklace never made it to me. When they agreed to send it they never declared a value so UPS would only pay them 100.00 for my 350.00 necklace. Instead of them just saying this they took me through all types of hoops and even in the end tried to act if maybe I was making the whole thing up.

It is so frustrating to recant all the lies and it is so sad as the necklace was given to me by someone over 15 years ago who have since left my life and the sentimental value that it holds for me far outweighs me lying or trying to get something for nothing. I would much rather have my necklace that had an extra piece on the chain that represented my children graduating from the 12th and 8th grade the same year. They are liars and do yourself a favor and spend 10 extra dollars a night and go across the street to the Holiday Inn. You won't regret it. Even the corporate arena is not right. Honesty doesn't work for these people and this company. Where oh where has good customer service gone???

The trip was to take our 10 yr. old grandson to the KS State Fair 9/15-17/2016. Our grandson had $20.00 which he forgot to put in his pocket. It was next to his duffel on a desk. When we got back it was gone. I immediately went to the front desk and filed a complaint. I was told the manager would be in at 8:00 am the next day 9/17. Was told 9/17 that the manager would not be in till later, took all my information and said she would contact me with-in 24 hours. It is now 9/22. No contact. If room service thought it was a tip but was reported that the money was missing, it should be up to the manager to find out who cleaned the room and get the money back. This was a 10 yr old's money. Not ours. The stay was good, but ignoring a complaint is totally unacceptable by the manager and nothing worse than a thief.

Excellent. Staff was superb. Morning breakfast was perfect and there was even a place we could meet with friends. We stayed here along with 50 other guests for our daughters wedding at a local vineyard.

Booked an online reservation online on 1/15/16, 10 day stay starting 2/11 at Ormond Beach Hampton Inn, Confirmation #**. Unfortunately, I booked the wrong FL Beach Hampton. I could not cancel online due to the special event. It was past the cancellation window. Reservation was 27 days in advance. Normally there is a 24-72 hr cancellation period to avoid cancellation penalties. You would think that anytime the cancellation period deviates from norm, it would be clearly noted. Called hotel less 25 min from placing online reservation, advised of my mistake, was told she would cancel with no penalty. I then booked for the same dates at the correct Hampton.

On 2/16 we were charged the full 10 days, 2,688.75. If I would have been told I would be charged the full stay, I would not have made an alternative reservation. Spoke with GM, who agreed to refund. After multiple documented conversations, attempts by GM to give credit, was told that Hampton Corp is not allowing the credit. But HHonors states it is the GM’s decision to make acceptations not them.

We would like a full refund but according the email confirmation, “Your reservation is guaranteed by a deposit of 268.88 that has been/will be charged to your credit card. Cancellations were required by 4 PM on Dec 28, 2015 local hotel time. Because this time has already passed, your deposit is non-refundable.” Leads me to believe only 268.88 should have been charged.

Despite this issue, we have stayed at a Hilton brand on 14 additional occasions since this incident. You would think that some loyalty to the Hilton brand would be honored, especially since we didn’t just cancel, we stayed at a different Hampton. Expressed issue to BBB and they were absolutely no help. As of today, have never heard from anyone.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hampton Inn was founded in 1984 as a member of the Holiday Inn family. Hilton Worldwide acquired it in 1999, and its name changed to Hampton by Hilton in 2007. There are currently over 2,100 locations around the world.

• Hilton property: Hilton owns Hampton, so guests can use their Hilton HHonors rewards at this brand. These properties also support the same community initiatives as Hilton Hotels and Suites.
  • Satisfaction guarantee: Hampton has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. If a guest does not feel the hotel met their expectations of service or cleanliness, they will not be charged for their stay.
  • Fresh bedding: Hampton’s Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed program ensures that guest bedding is always clean. Duvet covers are washed between each guest’s stay, and all bedding is white, making it easy for travelers to spot dirt.
  • Free hot breakfast: All guests at Hampton receive a free hot breakfast every morning. Options include fresh waffles and oatmeal as well as cereal, yogurt, fruit and more. On the Run Breakfast Bags are available on weekday mornings for guests who need to get out the door quickly.
  • Special discounts: Hampton offers special discounted rates to many groups, including AAA, CAA and AARP members as well as members of the military and their families and those 65 and older. They also have special promotions throughout the year.
  • Best for Hampton Inn is best for those who want good service but would rather save than have extra amenities.

Compare Hotel Brands