Hampton Inn

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After a long 8 hour drive to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Carlsbad, NM my credit card was charged $200 more than the initial 2 e-mailed confirmations! I was explained by the manager that this was just a soft, temporary hit to my account and would fall off in 72 hours. She also told me she would go over the daily charges with us and make sure that they are corrected. She never did any of that. She then told us she would "comp." the first day, NEVER done.

After staying there for 3 days the sheets were still not changed! I called down to the front desk and asked them if they could be changed which led to the manager abruptly calling our room in a hostile manner asking if she could come up and talk to us. She came up and proceeded to shove a clipboard in my face saying that their cleaning people signed off on the sheets being changed which I showed her they weren't and had to prove to her they weren't! WHAT A STRESSFUL experience for the entire week and it was suppose to be a relaxing vacation!

I have stayed at Hampton Inn several times. We were always satisfied. NOT THIS THIS TIME. Last week we stayed at the Hampton Inn on rt 17 Mahwah New Jersey. When we checked Stephinie at the desk made us feel not welcome. I came back to desk because the key card did not work. She said (nasty) "you have to wait. I am busy." I said "I want to get in my room." She said "you will have to wait." At the time no one was at the desk.

That night when I came in I asked about a $130 charge. That clerk said "I don`t know." A man next to her said "we hold that in case you damage the room." I could not believe what I was hearing. That night they took another $325 out of my account. In the am I called the manager Michele. "You get it back when you check out." The room rate was $118 including tax. I complained to my bank. I called Michele and told her "put my money back or I will press charges." The money was credited back. We had to be in the area a few more days. We ran from that place. I called the Hampton Inn in Nanuet NY. It is only a 10 minute on the NY Thruway. I called the desk and spoke to Ebany. Her friendly voice said "come on over. We will be waiting for ya." When I arrived with my wife Tall Ebony and a man (I think) Justin saw us and said welcome. They were so nice.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Pennsville NJ many times and never had major problems but this time (it is our last time) the desk staff lied about what she had told me on the phone. The manager said nothing, promised to follow up but did nothing and tried to pass it off to reservation, who then passed it off to customer service who could do nothing and passed it back to the hotel. I was assured I would be contacted within 72 business hours. Not sure what that means since the hotel is open 24/7. It has now been 7 days and so far nothing. If they hope I will just go away, they are sadly mistaken!!

I had very worst experience from Hampton Inn Chelsea. I checked in to Hotel on 6th Feb and check out the hotel on 19th Feb after clearing all my balance to zero. My stay was in Room No. 607. When I checked my bank statement on 21st, I could see that they have deducted $1635.16 from my account on 20th Feb (My statement shows in IST, so it is showing 21st Feb). I called the Hotel front desk and they are saying that there is no such transaction reflecting in their account. I am working with Bank fraud department for a investigation on this. I never had any such worst experience with any other Hotels.

I booked a room at the Hampton Inn located at 6082 Transit Rd Lockport NY. I booked this room 2 days in advance for Valentines Day 2/14/17. It is new and super convenient due to it being down the street from my home. Me and my significant other checked out the following morning and I decided to pay cash. They then informed me that it may take up to 3 days for them to release the hold on my card.

Later on that night I checked my bank statement and was mortified to see that in addition to the $150 they also were holding $250. I called to inquire about the charge and was informed that they were charging me for smoking! I assured the manager that was impossible. I don't smoke! I have more respect for my name than to tarnish it that way! And I live literally 4 minutes away it's not worth the $250 plus the $150 I already paid. I informed him my boyfriend does smoke cigarettes but smoked in his vehicle so I am basically being charged for him smelling like cigarettes? The manager then says in fact he was present when all this was verified and they have evidence, I asked what was the evidence he stated the evidence was the smell! No seriously! So I informed him that I would have to file a complaint. He says coldly that he already notified his superiors.

Later that evening my fiance calls and apologizes to management for smelling like smoke but reassures him that he didn't! Management then tells my fiance that in addition to a "cigarette smell" they also smelled marijuana! Now I talked to the same manager and was never informed of this! So I have contacted the BBB as well as all the proper corporate channels at the Hilton and they all have treated me with no regard. To them what management says is law. So my money is good but my word isn't...Just terrible.

I have even reached out and asked an advocate to step in and maybe address the situation more formally. In their response they gave a basic timeline of my stay except they referred to me as the second guest and fiance as the main individual. Which is completely false because I...a woman...booked the hotel and checked in and out. I point this out to my advocate who felt that was a valid point! And should be because they made everything up!

In between hearing a response I check my statement again and noticed they took the $250 and additional $250 was pending... so they are trying to take it twice! I called them and they were acting so dismissive about it told me to wait til Monday! So I then went down there about 30 minutes later to physically show them my bank statement. The female I spoke to agreed that it was strange and to make sure I come back Monday if it was still the same.

Before I can make it home I receive an email from my advocate stating that management was not willing to refund me because I just left complaining and smelling like marijuana! How convenient! These people have gotten $400 out of me and have the nerve to have an additional $250 of my money tied up. And no one seems to care! I feel so violated just robbed! You'd think they'd acknowledge all the effort I have gone through! Something has to been done! They just took my money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hampton Inn?

I have been to a number of Hampton Inn hotels. Most experiences went pretty well. I didn't have the problems mentioned by a number of other posters. I've had several particularly good experiences with the Hampton Inn in Clinton MS. The staff is the friendliest and most helpful of any of the Hampton Inns I have visited (especially the front desk and food services), not that the other locations weren't friendly and helpful, but the one in Clinton MS more so. JoJo, who does the breakfast service is always polite and cheerful, and will do her best to get you what you need for breakfast. It's been a great experience each visit. Kudos to the staff and management for such a well run and amenable location.

The hotel is in Carson City Nevada. It is welcoming and clean. We got very fair price for what we received. The continental breakfast was fantastic along with the pool and clean rooms. They were accommodating in providing additional towels, toothpaste. We plan on staying there again in the future.

The Hampton Inn at Birmingham, Alabama was a very nice place with a great staff! Excellent customer service at an excellent value. It was very comfortable and there was nothing wrong with my stay. The hotel was clean and smoke-free. The staff were friendly knowledgeable and polite and energetic. The continental breakfast was wonderful, full of choices, satisfying and the one employee running it was very friendly and welcoming.

I love the Hampton Inn at the exit of I-95 in Georgia. It is not 5-star but gives us the comforts we need and I settle for the best of what I can afford. They have never let me down. They always have just what we need. Great comfy beds which mean a good night's sleep and breakfast waffles. Customer service was great and their staff were helpful, no problems at all. They even have cookies at night and milk if you ask. We belong to a travel club that gives us great prices.

Since Sunday, today being Wednesday (going on 4 days), I have been contacting the hotel General Manager and Redstone Bank to correct the charges that have been additionally took out of my account. I have been emailing the General Manager - Rebecca, back and forth for several days now and as of last night, Wednesday - 1-3-17 at 9:36 pm I would be refunded and charged back the additional charges they have took out - $273.13 and $162.98 and would see this in my bank statements Wednesday morning when I woke up, today. I wake up to see I HAVE NO MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT! They withdrew the 273.13 instead of recharging it to my account.

I have went to the bank and Redstone as personally emailed the lady to show proof that money is coming out of my account not back into it. The general manager seems to say her and her help desk is showing everything is correct on their end when Redstone is clearly showing and stating my bank statements and the transactions being took out!!

My HONOR experience became a nightmare my last day of stay. I requested at 10:50 am on 11/28 for an 11:30 am checkout as the elevators were still not working and I needed to use the stairs to carry out luggage, bags, and personal effects after a 5 day stay. I requested Steve a front desk agent for the additional 30 minutes. Steve, YOUR front desk agent took my hotel room key, answered 2 calls, and about 3 minutes later, turned to me and advised as if he was a Grand Master or better yet, GOD, he would grant me 30 additional minutes to check out and "to make sure I made it quick." 5 days, $533.20 and 2 days of stairs, I was not going to be quick about anything. Steve called my room at 11:17 am and asked if I were staying another day, I advised I just spoke to him and advised I needed until 11:30, I advised this at 10:50 am. Steve stated he told me to hurry.

I proceeded to tell Steve, his family and All of Hilton where to go and how to get there. He threatened to charge me for another day. Great! Stop payment on $533.20 and a new card later, I spoke with one of the laziest looking lackadaisical person I have ever met, Heather **, GM, who apologized and apologized for my "experience". I advised, "Do not apologize for Steve's disgusting behavior correct it." Oh did I also mention Steve proceeded to harass me and call my room several times after I reminded he, his family and all of Hilton where to go? Does Hilton honestly believe they Will Ever receive my business again? I have several hundred followers, friends and contacts between Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. They already know about my experience at your Hotel. Also 225, 000+ sorors throughout the world whom I have formerly drafted a proposal to boycott specifically Hampton Inn/Hilton.

Also Division of Hotels, Motels has been informed as well as my attorney because what "Steve" did was out and out racism, sexism, discrimination and please do not believe otherwise. There was not an issue the entire duration of my stay until I came into contact with Steve both during check in (save some food for me says Steve during the meet and greet) to his disgusting behavior at checkout. Another pissed off ** guy who has not been raised and does not know simple human dignity and respect, however once I finish with Hampton and Steve humility will be Steve's humble slice of pie. I promise.

My first Hampton Inn experience was in 2007 in Pueblo, CO. It was topnotch, everything was great. Since then I've noticed the quality decline but the price has not. My recent stay was in Tucson, AZ this last weekend, what a difference from 07. Now Hampton Inn has stooped down to provide what little amenities available housed in the bathroom. So if your spouse is going #2 in the bathroom and you want to make coffee or get some ice you are going to have to wait. There was an unpleasant smell about the entire hotel and they should switch the name from "continental breakfast" to "coffee and a snack," so you can be prepared to buy breakfast before you head out for the day. It's time to dump Hampton Inn and move on to something better.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I had asked that my post not to be published as the mattered had been resolved. Could you please delete my previous post. There was a misunderstanding that was corrected to everyone's satisfaction.

Dina of Woodbridge, ON on

Original Review

Had made multiple room reservations online in early September and received confirmations for all my rooms with confirmation numbers. Last Thursday I received an email from the hotel indicating they have canceled my rooms. Continued to lie about why they did this until it was finally confirmed it was an error on their part after continually being dishonest. I spoke to the hotel manager David and asked for the Regional Manager's phone number. Would not provide it. Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Do not book with this hotel as confirmation numbers mean nothing to them.

Hampton Inn, Parsippany, NJ - First, This Hampton Inn and a Hilton Hotel share the same building - very confusing. The beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable. After I arrived and settled in, I noticed that there was only a half roll of toilet paper in the bathroom, and that there were not enough hangers in the closet. On my way out that evening, I asked one of the desk clerks, who might have been the manager, to please have more toilet paper rolls and 4 hangers to be brought to my room, and I gave him my room number, twice. When I returned several hours later, nothing had been delivered to my room. No one answered the phone, so I had to go out to the front desk and ask again for hangers and toilet paper. Also, the window curtains did not close, due to poor design, and since I was on the 1st floor, anyone could have looked in. Poor service, and bad design!!

My wife and I normally search for cheap rooms. But we decided we was tired of not knowing what to expect when we get there. So we figured we would spend more money and everything would be perfect. The room is super nice but everything is not perfect. It is cold out and there is only decaf coffee and it's ice cold. My wife and I mentioned it and the front desk acted as if we hadn't even spoke.

It saddens me as I have stayed with this hotel on more than 10 occasions. As long as you don't forget something everything is fine. They can tell more lies rather than saying "we made a mistake and we are sorry." My Tiffany's necklace never made it to me. When they agreed to send it they never declared a value so UPS would only pay them 100.00 for my 350.00 necklace. Instead of them just saying this they took me through all types of hoops and even in the end tried to act if maybe I was making the whole thing up.

It is so frustrating to recant all the lies and it is so sad as the necklace was given to me by someone over 15 years ago who have since left my life and the sentimental value that it holds for me far outweighs me lying or trying to get something for nothing. I would much rather have my necklace that had an extra piece on the chain that represented my children graduating from the 12th and 8th grade the same year. They are liars and do yourself a favor and spend 10 extra dollars a night and go across the street to the Holiday Inn. You won't regret it. Even the corporate arena is not right. Honesty doesn't work for these people and this company. Where oh where has good customer service gone???

The trip was to take our 10 yr. old grandson to the KS State Fair 9/15-17/2016. Our grandson had $20.00 which he forgot to put in his pocket. It was next to his duffel on a desk. When we got back it was gone. I immediately went to the front desk and filed a complaint. I was told the manager would be in at 8:00 am the next day 9/17. Was told 9/17 that the manager would not be in till later, took all my information and said she would contact me with-in 24 hours. It is now 9/22. No contact. If room service thought it was a tip but was reported that the money was missing, it should be up to the manager to find out who cleaned the room and get the money back. This was a 10 yr old's money. Not ours. The stay was good, but ignoring a complaint is totally unacceptable by the manager and nothing worse than a thief.

Excellent. Staff was superb. Morning breakfast was perfect and there was even a place we could meet with friends. We stayed here along with 50 other guests for our daughters wedding at a local vineyard.

Booked an online reservation online on 1/15/16, 10 day stay starting 2/11 at Ormond Beach Hampton Inn, Confirmation #**. Unfortunately, I booked the wrong FL Beach Hampton. I could not cancel online due to the special event. It was past the cancellation window. Reservation was 27 days in advance. Normally there is a 24-72 hr cancellation period to avoid cancellation penalties. You would think that anytime the cancellation period deviates from norm, it would be clearly noted. Called hotel less 25 min from placing online reservation, advised of my mistake, was told she would cancel with no penalty. I then booked for the same dates at the correct Hampton.

On 2/16 we were charged the full 10 days, 2,688.75. If I would have been told I would be charged the full stay, I would not have made an alternative reservation. Spoke with GM, who agreed to refund. After multiple documented conversations, attempts by GM to give credit, was told that Hampton Corp is not allowing the credit. But HHonors states it is the GM’s decision to make acceptations not them.

We would like a full refund but according the email confirmation, “Your reservation is guaranteed by a deposit of 268.88 that has been/will be charged to your credit card. Cancellations were required by 4 PM on Dec 28, 2015 local hotel time. Because this time has already passed, your deposit is non-refundable.” Leads me to believe only 268.88 should have been charged.

Despite this issue, we have stayed at a Hilton brand on 14 additional occasions since this incident. You would think that some loyalty to the Hilton brand would be honored, especially since we didn’t just cancel, we stayed at a different Hampton. Expressed issue to BBB and they were absolutely no help. As of today, have never heard from anyone.

I made a reservation directly through the Hampton website for a 3-day stay 5 weeks in advance of when I needed the room; the total including tax was $724.65. Two weeks after making the reservation, an email from Hampton shows up in my Inbox telling me they're sorry to see that I cancelled the reservation; also included was an offer to create a new reservation. The problem was that I did not cancel the reservation! Therefore I immediately contacted Hampton Customer Care informing them that I did not cancel the room and requested that the original reservation be honored. They told me I could make a new reservation however not at the same pricing as the original reservation. I told them that I suspected Hampton cancelled my reservation because they increased their pricing and knew they'd rent the room for the higher rate to someone else.

After spending 45 minutes speaking with two different agents plus a manager, I was informed that someone else had cancelled the reservation and that Hampton would never do such a thing. I requested over and over that my original reservation be honored. The manager (Harold) I spoke with had no customer service skills. When I told him that I wouldn't stay in a Hampton or Hilton hotel ever again if he wouldn't honor my original reservation he abruptly hung up. That's all I needed to hear. I had always thought Hampton and Hilton had some class but my opinion radically changed today to the other end of the scale. Good Bye Hampton & Hilton!

Earlier this summer I had my van damaged by someone who backed into it and left without admitting to it. I went to the front desk to review the security videos and they told me that there were none. I couldn't believe that a motel chain that charges the prices Hilton does would not have security available. Just this last weekend my girlfriend insisted on staying at the Hampton in San Bernardino CA again and I did not want to because of the lack of security. Well she had her car broken into and several valuable guitars stolen. She saw the man driving a car that seemed suspicious but didn't get a license number. Again the motel said that they did not have security or any cameras.

She always insists on Hampton/Hilton and I think she has finally accept that they are a bunch of con men that could care less about their customers. She makes fun of me because I used to travel for a living and stayed at SUPER 8s and other plebian motels but I never had anything stolen or any damage to my vehicles in over 35 years of traveling. Kinda serves her right for being too pompous about these con men. Please check out any Hilton property to make sure that they have security particularly if you are a woman or carrying valuables.

Stayed at several Hampton Inns have never had this experience. After calling several times to motel being hung up on I still have not been refunded my money they put on hold. They have been very unhelpful and rude.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn at 1212 Cumings Street in Omaha Nebraska on August 6th. I attended a wedding that was nearby. Upon arrival an issue with the check in as they had my name misspelled. Once we get to our room I notice mold around the bathtub and a water bottle cap on the floor in our bathroom that clearly wasn't ours. But needed a place to stay so overlooked these issues. Checked out the next morning and headed home.

A couple of days later I got on my credit card acct to pay my bill and lo and behold I have an additional $250 charge from them. Thinking it was just a billing error so I called. At this point they told me it was for damage to a room. I couldn't even begin to think what this was about. After contacting the hotel 8 times and never being able to speak to a Manager or getting info on what this was I called the corporate office. Then I am told it is for a smoking in the room charge. Well number one I did not smoke in this room. My daughter was with me and can verify that. I have disputed this charge with Credit Card Company - Filed a Complaint with the BBB and also a complaint with the Attorney General in my State.

After reading many of these reviews I find this is a trend for the Hampton Inns. To this day I have not received any proof from them that I did smoke in the room. WHY - because they don't have any. I will never stay at a Hampton Inn again. And believe me the best advertising is word of mouth. And believe me I will certainly make this issue known. They have STOLEN this money from me and also it is fraud for charging my credit card. For all I know maybe the maid needed a smoke so she used my room and blamed it on me. Like I said my daughter was with me and can attest to the fact that this room was NOT smoked in.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I put a review here and now just to keep the record straight I want it known that finally today Hampton Inn gave me my overcharges back. In all fairness, they removed all three of the charges but no explanation. I don't know if they screwed up again or were trying to "make it up to me". But they did correct the problem finally.

jeanne of High Ridge, MO on

Original Review

I checked into the Hampton Inn at Corinth Ms. on August 20 for a one night stay. I gave them my debit card for payment. I returned to the room only to find that they had charged my debit card three times instead of once. I returned immediately to the desk to be told there was nothing they could do about it. There was no manager there. I returned to the room and called Hampton Inn corporate customer service and was basically told there was nothing they could do as well. They would give me a complaint number and they would work on it. I asked "what if this was my gas budget to get home?" They were sorry. Four days later they are still sorry. No one responds. I again called and was told again they were really sorry. On Thursday my banks fraud department will begin investigating. Hampton Inn had always been my hotel of choice but never will I go there again or recommend it to anyone.

My daughter placed a hold on ten rooms at the Hampton Inn located at 102 S. Cottage Hill Rd. Carrollton, Ga 30117 for her graduation celebration. Unfortunately, she booked directly through this location and was charged for eight rooms to which her credit card cut off at four rooms with a rate of $132.68 totaling $530.72. No one sent a confirmation, policy requirements, or cancellation notice in writing or through an email. After contacting the hotel directly to resolve the issue, no manager was available so I made a call to the corporate office. I spoke to a LeaAnn and she stated that there would be a review and that my daughter would receive a paper refund 7-10 days and to call back if there is no response after 72 hours.

I call today, August 8, 2016 and spoke to Tamara **; Guest Assistance Escalation Department Hilton Supervisor and she stated that there is no refund and that nothing can be done to override the hotel policy. When asked if I could receive a copy of the policy and confirmation email, she said "no, it is gone and cannot be retrieved." I asked to speak to someone over her and she stated that she was the highest person to talk to and refused to provide any more information.

I am very disappointed and dissatisfied with the customer service received from the hotel and corporate office. Hampton Inn clearly stole from my daughter and is not making this situation right. We will never stay at another Hampton Inn Hotel and we will tell friends, family, business associates, and clients to how business is handled and how the consumer is taken advantage of.

Found a charge to my card of $250. Called to dispute and person said "Maid says it smells like someone smoked in room." I am not a smoker. Called and disputed with my card and with Hampton Inn. The maid said and that is that so I requested corporate call me. First floor windows were open upon arrival to room and extremely windy outside.

My family stayed at the Hampton Inn Columbia IL. The room had one towel, no bathmat. We requested a wake up call and didn't get it. Also the pool was green and looked very unclean.

Breakfast what a joke, hope you like dry cereal. Also I'm a non smoker. They said I smoke in the room and charge my credit card 250.00 dollars and they were so rude. Called the corporate office after getting the number off the internet cause the hotel said they did have a corporate office number. Friends be warned and careful if you stay there. Really its not worth their fare anyway. I talked with several different people. They could not do nothing not even give me a night stay in a different room. They really need the 250 dollars that they stole yes stole from me.

Having stayed at many Hilton Hotels and Resorts through the years, our family has been very pleased overall with our experiences. I must note, however, the Hampton Inn & Suites - Knoxville/North I-75 May 27, 2016, reflects very poorly on the image the Hilton product line strives to maintain on its properties. Never have I posted a negative review, but I believe this experience is worth noting:

May 27 we walked into a repulsive-smelling room, which also was not clean. There was hair in the bathroom and on the sheets, and the toilet-paper roll was almost empty. We tried to make the best of the situation, knowing we would only be staying there one night. However, our experience only got worse: my child accidentally left his Chaco sandals under the desk in our room and realized it as soon as we got home. We immediately called the hotel, and we were told the sandals were not in the room.

I called back the next day, and the manager would not allow me to speak to the person who cleaned the room (I wanted to explain to her exactly where the sandals were), and he told me "diamond necklaces have been found" by the staff, as if that were to make me feel better. He was not the least bit accommodating but instead pulled my account from being able to review his hotel.

I just called to reserve joining rooms but was told they could not guarantee joining rooms and may give them to guests currently staying in a joining room if they decide to extend their stay. So you wouldn't know until you arrive??? So they would rather chance/hope an existing guest extending their stay than going ahead and booking it and having it reserved. I have never heard of that before.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hampton Inn was founded in 1984 as a member of the Holiday Inn family. Hilton Worldwide acquired it in 1999, and its name changed to Hampton by Hilton in 2007. There are currently over 2,100 locations around the world.

• Hilton property: Hilton owns Hampton, so guests can use their Hilton HHonors rewards at this brand. These properties also support the same community initiatives as Hilton Hotels and Suites.
  • Satisfaction guarantee: Hampton has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. If a guest does not feel the hotel met their expectations of service or cleanliness, they will not be charged for their stay.
  • Fresh bedding: Hampton’s Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed program ensures that guest bedding is always clean. Duvet covers are washed between each guest’s stay, and all bedding is white, making it easy for travelers to spot dirt.
  • Free hot breakfast: All guests at Hampton receive a free hot breakfast every morning. Options include fresh waffles and oatmeal as well as cereal, yogurt, fruit and more. On the Run Breakfast Bags are available on weekday mornings for guests who need to get out the door quickly.
  • Special discounts: Hampton offers special discounted rates to many groups, including AAA, CAA and AARP members as well as members of the military and their families and those 65 and older. They also have special promotions throughout the year.
  • Best for Hampton Inn is best for those who want good service but would rather save than have extra amenities.

Compare Hotel Brands