1.04/5
Based on 95 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

529 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

What do I need to say? GDPR data breaches, filthy cars and refusal to clean or understand/No apologies, nothing. Terrible service and fake charges. Marco at Pescara made mistakes with me and the person in front, costing us an hour of our time and ruining the start of our holiday. Avoid him at all costs.

Original review: July 16, 2018

They know they are one star. On one hand, I see little value in adding an extra one star rating to the galaxy of the same. My experience is with the company sending an unsubstantiated invoice to a wrong address and then sending to a collections department. On the other hand, would this thread be interested in large numbers complain the UK Office Fair Trade, to try and end its trading?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 6, 2018

I have never been so disappointed by a rental car company in my life. I will never and make sure my friends and family never rent from this company. Pre-booked a car, arrived early and no car was available, was constantly told 10 min more. An hour and 10 minutes later still no car and no answers to when we would get the car (another couple also waited an hour and were told to go get coffee and came back). A smaller car was returned and was basically told to take it or who knows when your car will arrive.

Paid extra to return to a different location. Was told the difference from the medium car and the tiny Fiat would need to be requested when we got home and could not do it on the spot. The location code they provided AND the phone number they provided DID NOT exist (Edinburgh Waverly Station). Spent an hour looking for it. Finally found a different location online and returned it there (airport).

The staff were extremely rude and lied. Was told we would get a credit back from returning a day early (nope, that was a lie), explained what happened trying to explain the wrong code and the reply was “well we all have bad days, what do you want me to do about it”. Was completely waved off - the male staff actually just walked away.

Post trip, emailed them and provided them details on what happened and how we were treated, giving them an opportunity to show proper customer service. Europcar’s response did not apologize for their rude staff. Did not provide a credit for a day early. Did not credit the account for giving us a smaller car. AND today... just received a bill for more money that they already processed in May. Bill creation date: June 12. Bill due date: June 13. Received: June 21. Paid on: May 22, 2018. Anyone else’s see a problem with the dates? Good job Europcar UK, making customers and travelers feel very welcome with how your staff treat people and how you respond to upset customers. Round of applause to you.

Update: July 4, 2018 - (my trip was at the end of May by the way) emailed the email provided by the social media team and still no response from Europcar. Just an automated “we’ll get back to you shortly”. I will continue to spread the word of this awful company to help protect other travelers. Social Media team - I want a direct manager's contact information please. I hope they treat their employees well because they don’t treat customers well. Update July 7 - THEY HAVE CHARGED ME FOR A FEE THAT WAS PAID ON MAY 22. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: July 5, 2018

We booked car and insurance through CheapTickets and when we went to picked up car in England they said the insurance we bought won't cover the car and made us pay $924.99 USD or we couldn't get car. We will never rent a car from Europcar again ever and neither will our friends or family. We have opened case against them. They are a scam company. Don't rent from them. You will get ripped off.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I contracted with Europcar through Auto Europe for rental of a Mercedes Benz “C” Class Wagon or similar vehicle, to be available on April 27, 2018, at 11 am local time, at the Munich, Germany airport. Upon advisement of an earlier flight arrival by my travel agent than what was originally booked with American Airlines, I questioned her as to whether my car rental pick up time needed to be adjusted and was advised that car rental agencies have a 3-hour window on either side of the contracted pick up time for vehicle availability and that my new arrival time at Munich would not require a change in pick up time.

Upon arrival at Munich airport and subsequently at Europcar’s terminal counter a little after 8 am on the morning of April 27, 2018, I advised the representative of my reservation and was informed that I was too early for pick up of my reserved vehicle and that a Mercedes “C” Class vehicle would not be available anyway, but rather an Audi A4 might be provided, if available at 11 am that morning. I indicated that the word “might” was unacceptable as my family and I had contracted for a BMW Welt tour that morning and a later rental time would cause me to lose my tour reservation and monies already paid for same. She indicated again there were no vehicles available at that time. I showed her the number and size of my family’s suitcases that were parked next to me, and stated that an Audi A4, even if available, would not hold them.

I also advised her of what I thought was a car rental agency’s 3-hour pick up window. She denied knowledge of any such thing. I then inquired about a station wagon or van that I would pay extra for, if available. She again indicated neither was available. After checking with a presumed supervisor located behind her, she advised that a luxury SUV update (Alfa Romeo Stelvio) was available and that based on both of their observations of my luggage pieces, I would have no problem loading them into the vehicle. I agreed to accept the updated luxury SUV vehicle and added cost for same based on their assurances of fitting the luggage pieces into same. Thereafter, my family and I, with our luggage, proceeded a fair distance to the vehicle garage center to locate our vehicle.

Upon finding the SUV, it appeared unlikely our luggage was going to fit unless placing some pieces in the trunk area and some pieces in the cabin (seating) area. As we tried to fit the luggage as best we could, there was obvious interference with the seating in the cabin area. Due to the time expended at the terminal rental counter and now, the lateness of the morning, we could not afford a return to the rental counter (due to time constraints) to argue our case even after seeing several vehicles in the garage that would meet our need. For this ridiculous car rental situation, I was obligated to pay an additional $374.55 USDs while two family members sat in the back seat with one member sitting on a piece of luggage for the entire seven days of our rental. I believe this situation should never have occurred and that a reasonable monetary refund is owed me.

Upon return to the USA I contacted my travel agent and advised her of my rental scenario. She, in turn, contacted the same Auto Europe rep she originally worked with and explained my scenario while requesting some monetary compensation. He, in turn, spoke with the Munich office of Europcar who denied ever not having the original vehicle I contracted for and that the situation as far as they were concerned was over and done with. Now, after reading this review, do you really want to contract with either company for a car rental?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: July 1, 2018

Ok after dealing with Europcar on several occasions and I must say very satisfied with their service. I have just had a completely different experience! Hired a car from Gatwick airport in late May for just short of 3 weeks, returning to Gatwick 4th June. On dropping the car back to Gatwick I was told 'all ok you can go' which of course we did, thinking no more of it... 7 DAYS later I receive an email stating damage to an alloy wheel, 150 mm scuff! And that they are charging £££s for!! So an inspection without me present??? Really!! Sorry but how do I know that someone (maybe staff) didn't do that after I dropped the car!! Understand all the hard sell of extra insurance at collection now and we all know what a rip that is!! Definitely will not use again... Not a very happy ex customer. Thank you!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

Europcar (Spain) held an authorization on my account for weeks after the car had been returned and the payment had been processed. When I raised it with them they said they can hold funds for up to 30 business days. Nothing I can do. Weren't interested in helping. I hired other cars in Europe, and the longest they held funds was 48 hours. Customer service in Europe was ok. Just Australia post rental sucked.

Original review: June 17, 2018

We rented a car online through the Ryanair website. We were surprised at the airport with a request for an additional $500 to cover insurance. The car reeked of cigarettes. A tire went flat 1 mile from the airport and they refused to help. I changed the tire and returned the car. Europcar refused to refund the rental cost for 9 days rental. I just ate that cost and left.

Original review: June 14, 2018

EUROPCAR, NEVER EVER AGAIN! I am 60 years old and have been renting cars in Europe since 1985. I never experienced such a kind of disguised fraud like that! I rented a car in Italy last April, returning it in Malpensa Milano Airport, just before an international flight. The local agent appointed a supposed scratch, in fact a risk over the dirty car. I tried to show there was NO DAMAGE under the dirty, cleaning with my finger. Not having time to discuss, after asking my wife to confirm her opinion, I signed a paper presented by the agent as a form where I could put my point of view. And left.

2 days after I was surprised with an extra 300 euros for damage and more 75 euros for "handling". After 2 months exchanging emails with their customer services, Mrs. Emily ** in UK and Mrs. Monica ** in Italy, waiting for a cleaned car photo showing the alleged damage, promised by Mrs. Monica **, they simply stopped the communication, ignoring completely my claim! THE NAME IS FRAUD! EUROPCAR, NEVER EVER AGAIN!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Rented a car from Europcar end of May at Birmingham Airport through Expedia. Bought insurance through Expedia, but was told when we picked up car that they don't accept third party insurance so we had to spend extra money for insurance. Expedia reimbursed us the insurance we bought through them. They offered us an upgrade car at no extra charge and we thought great. Not great! We returned the car at the end of our vacation. Had a walk around with the attendant. He found nothing wrong with the car and said everything was in order and said the deposit would be return within 24 hrs. The initial deposit was in my credit card, yet when we purchased the insurance we used my husband's card. They put a pending deposit on his card along with the cost of the insurance.

When we got home, we noticed the error and called them. They removed the pending from my husband card, but mine is still there as pending and to top it off they are claiming that there was a 3-5 inch scratch on the car and they want us to pay the damage. There was absolutely no scratch on that car. It was a black SUV and a scratch that long would have been very noticeable. My husband and the attendant walked around that car and it was in good shape. Unfortunately we did not take pictures and we did not receive paperwork stating car was returned in good shape, which they claim we did. We are in the process of disputing a $250 charge they claim we owe. DON'T USE THEM!!! I regret not checking reviews.

Original review: June 13, 2018

On April 12 2018 I booked a car through Expedia with Europcar for pickup at Toronto airport on June 20th 2018. The price was $438.34, a reasonable rate for the vehicle. On May 22nd, I received an email from Expedia saying that "Europcar had made an error in their pricing and I would have to cancel my reservation and rebook at the current rates." I called Expedia Customer Service and asked what was going on. The agent assured me that I needn't worry, the reservation was in good standing and that I could ignore the prior email. She was 100% clear that the reservation was "guaranteed" and "confirmed" and would not be canceled. I asked her to resend me the confirmation by email. She did so.

It's now June 13th, one week before I'm scheduled to pick up the car. Yesterday I received another email from Expedia telling me that Europcar has unilaterally canceled my reservation and if I want a car, I will have to rebook. Rates for the same car have now skyrocketed to over $1300 for these dates. Evidently there is now huge demand in Toronto for June 20th and Europcar is trying to cash in by canceling reservations booked over two months ago hoping to resell these cars at much higher prices.

This is clearly unethical and very likely illegal. Expedia has been no help. When I called them yesterday, they said, "Nothing we can do, it's Europcar's fault". I have cut and pasted below a few paragraphs from Expedia's email to me. They claim their "#1 goal is to give customers superior service" and "We want to ensure that you feel respected, valued, and cared for from the time you plan the trip to the time you return home, and everything in between." What utter nonsense!!!

I can see from reading other complaints on this board that Europcar is fundamentally unethical and unreliable car rental company. Expedia told me they have done this to many many other customers, not just me. I asked the supervisor why Expedia continues to allow Europcar to use the Expedia platform to sucker in customers to their illegal "bait and switch" schemes. He had no answer. Europcar has not be banned from Expedia although they obviously should be. Do not USE EUROPCAR!!! EVER!!! NOR EXPEDIA FOR THAT MATTER. THEY ARE CROOKS AND YOU ARE VERY UNLIKELY TO RECEIVE WHAT YOU THINK you have booked. Read other reviews on Europcar.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Just got back from a week away in Pollença. We booked through Tui and it included a rental car. We returned the car to Palma Airport and our credit card has been charged for no apparent reason. We refueled took pictures, no damage to car. We have pictures so why do they think they can take money unlawfully. I will be contacting my credit card company, TUI and ATOL. DO NOT USE EUROPCAR AT PALMA AIRPORT THEY ARE ROBBERS.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Europcar discovered "damages" to the PS Alloy Wheel, it was a joke. There was nothing, I brought the car back the way I got it!!! They withheld 200 EUR from my CC and it was an obvious rip off!!! They tried to say that the car had to be repaired immediately, it was "too dangerous to drive" with the marks (more than 3 cm) in the Hubcap!!! I will never book them again!

Original review: June 9, 2018

Do not use this company. They do not honor the online quote and try to add unnecessary charges. They hide behind the language issues as if you got the quote wrong and go out of their way to rip you off. Both of my friends had a bad experience in Santiago and me in Puerto Plata and it was the same issue. According to them the daily rate had gone up and the rate didn’t include taxes and fees even though it said in writing it did. Avoid Europcar and alert friends traveling anywhere that this Company can’t be trusted.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Without too much detail, every step of this experience was derailed by rudeness tantamount to bullying. Looking forward, I would walk away from the airport carrying my luggage, rather than use this service ever again. I am English and feel ashamed that this company represents our country to incoming visitors.

Original review: May 29, 2018

BEWARE OF EUROPCAR SAMANA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!!! I regret not having read all the bad reviews EUROPCAR has all over the Internet before I decided to rent from them. I had reserved an full-size SUV four days prior to my arrival into the Samana Airport last April 2018. To make the story short, I ended up stranded on a Good Friday at the Samana Airport and 2.5 hours away from my final destination (Santo Domingo). No Europcar representative was waiting for me at the airport (they do not have an office at the airport), they were certainly not answering any of their phones.

Was lucky enough to find one smaller vehicle available with another car rental company who has offices inside the airport. Next day, when I finally got a hold of someone from Europcar on the phone, the person was completely belligerent, rude and unapologetic. He basically questioned my decision of renting a car on a Good Friday because WHO WORKS THAT DAY?!? BEWARE renters, these people are irresponsible and give customer service a new (very negative) meaning.

Original review: May 25, 2018

To say that I am disappointed with Europcar is somewhat understating the matter and I was expecting Europcar to act in a professional manner instead of the embarrassing and amateur manner in their conduct towards me! What should have been a straightforward task of collecting the keys for my prebooked and pre-paid for hired car from Glasgow International Airport on May 5th 2018 turned into a hellish nightmare as I had to contend with an irritating and obnoxious male member of staff from Europcar that made television character Basil Fawlty from BBC TV series Fawlty Towers look like a kid in a kindergarten! Said member of staff from Europcar had and has zero customer relation skills and in my opinion is not fit for dealing with and helping decent members of the public such as myself!

First off the man from Europcar used delaying tactics to keep me at the car hire desk for as long as he could while he deliberately hindered and put up obstacles to frustrate and annoy me! Stupid & unnecessary mistakes were made on Europcar's part which only underlines their embarrassing incompetence! A number of admin mistakes were made including one which according to his computer records said that two cars had been ordered when I had in fact only ordered one! I didn't like the man's condescending and patronizing attitude towards me and at times he was downright rude!

I will not be doing business with Europcar in the future and I will use the services of one of their competitors who will hopefully treat me with dignity and respect! If I could have given Europcar zero stars for customer service I would have done so and I take some comfort in knowing that Europcar has been investigated by BBC Radio 4 and OFGEM for bad customer service and mis-selling products and services to their customers! When I finally collected the keys to my car I found that there were issues (some serious!) with the car that included dents and parts of the car's bodywork that was damaged or missing! The most serious issue was the unsettling and dangerous 'kangarooing' (engine stopping and starting and sometimes completely cutting out!) effect in first gear and it is obvious to me that the car has been over-revved/overdriven in first gear by previous car hirers!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Europcar does not accept any other insurance than their own. They will also not allow you to decline coverage. I booked through Expedia and had selected their full coverage, however, Europcar insisted that I needed to use their coverage and that it was a requirement to rent the car. In the United States, this would be considered a bait and switch and is illegal. TL;DR. DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I booked a car hire at London Gatwick airport for 10 days for about 130 UKP. I used a web company to do this. I had a document saying Paid in Full; I also have car hire insurance, and annual policy, to cover own-damage (i.e. not third party). When I reached the counter, Europcar would not release a vehicle to me unless I paid 300 UKP extra for CDW. I left without a car, after several hours discussion. If I have a contract that says Paid In Full for a car hire, it should give me a car hire. If they offer optional insurance on top, that is OK. But making it compulsory at a rip-off price is not OK. Never again, Europcar (probably the rental car company I have used most). I found an alternative hire at EasyRent.com, much cheaper, and that was last minute.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I booked a car to be picked up at the Esbjerg airport at a specific venue and there was simply nobody at the booth. I called the numbers available in the booth and no answer until I was transferred to an agency in Copenhagen. There the agency told me to go somewhere else to get the car. I got a taxi to the referred place and arriving there, with no apologies, I was told "my issue" (!!!) is that I booked through a broker (Rental Cars) so they did not have my information. What kind of service is that?

Interface issues between Europcar and brokers is not my problem and they need to fix it, or don't allow brokers at all - which they will probably have a considerable decrease in bookings. Today I got a reply from Europcar after 1 month and 5 complains sent that simply it is not their problem and they were kind enough to not charge me for the extra-hour the attendant used to service me with the car! Yes, that is what I was told! Really bad service and I do not recommend Europcar at all.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Arrived at DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA, King Shaka airport. Went to the counter with my reservation number, then showed attendant my reservation from my phone because they could not find it on their system. They created a new reservation, with a higher daily rate of $15 per day, with $2000 deposit. My reservation rate was $11 a day. Took it because I needed the car. Upon returning the car, inspection was done, gas was checked, full tank, no issues was found. I then had to fill out incident report stating no damages to the car. Went to the counter for final bill and attendant said, they will email it to me.

However when I returned home to FLORIDA, USA I received a bill, plus a invoice for damages amounting to R3800. Receiving attendant tried to pin scratches on the car to me. Charged for hubcap, which was not missing nor damaged. BOTTOM LINE, THIS COMPANY HAS A CULTURE OF BAIT AND SWITCH. Do not hire a car from Europcar ever. Still in dispute over these charges.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Disappointed with Europcar Watford branch as no one picked up phone during opening hours despite 8 calls on Sat 12 May. We requested fuel up front package at booking but unclear if it was provided. Waiting for this to be resolved so that we are not overcharged. Also had to wait 1 hr 45 mins past booking time for car to be ready.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Paid for full cover and rental through rental cars $214.00, when I picked the car up from Dublin airport from Europcar I got charged the extra $599.00 with no warning that they also charge insurance, think I can get it back???? I will never use them again. This seems to be a common complaint so it would seem it is an ongoing money making scheme. My son rented a car from Budget the same week with a drop of in Belfast for a longer period and paid $238.00 all inclusive.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Do not ever use this company to rent a car. My flight from NY to London was cheaper than renting their basic car for two day. They also charged my card serval times, costing me over thousand dollars, which takes 5-10 business days to see the refund in your account. They will charge you a 250 GBP deposit which Masha, the customer service rep will tell you it’s just a hold and promises you that it is not actually charged to your account. Then all of a sudden you get an alert that your car for two days was almost 1,000 USD (including that deposit). Of course this doesn’t even count the other charges they put on my card. Also, the GPS didn’t work so I am still waiting for that refund to come through. Do yourself a favor and use any other rental service and never use this company. Worst service, experience overall!

Original review: May 9, 2018

The worse experience I have ever had in over thirty years of renting cars in Europe. Upon return of the car in Paris they literally made up scratches on the front bumper and billed my card almost $800. I am not the only one, this is a regular practice on the part of Europcar. This people are the worse! Plus: the car smelled bad, and the rate I secure at reservation was not honored. Conclusion: I ended up paying Six times more than expected.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Do not rent cars from Europcar! When returning my car to the rental car booth at Dublin airport, the service person “found” a couple marks on the front bumper which were almost not to be seen. Although I was very vehement that we had no incident whatsoever that could have caused the marks, it was very clear that the Europcar man wanted to get the extra bucks on this rental. In fact, they just sent me a note they will charge me 365 euros for the “damage”. This is incredible! Never going to use the Europcar again and I will send this via all Media options to all future customers. DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I recently rented a car from Europcar at Heathrow airport. I had already made a booking online and paid. When I arrived at Europcar the agent advised that basic insurance was not sufficient to drive the car out of the lot. He ended up giving me full insurance cover which doubled the rental cost. I was not aware of the breakdown of the charges. When I received the invoice about a week later and complained about the charges I was told that as I had signed there was nothing they could do. Will not use this company again.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have been hiring cars for 6 months since moving to Ireland. Made a BIG mistake for one week hiring from Europcar in Cork. I've been charged £400 for damage to the front bumper and the near side wing mirror. I cannot disprove this, my own fault... but I suspect it was a setup. They are on commission to find faults. Don't hire from them. If you do, and it's too late... take pictures and videos, they'll find something.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Poor, poor service. Left my wife stranded and then wouldn’t refund payment for original booking. Stay well away, there are others hire companies who are far better. Lots of negative reviews on Trustpilot etc, I should have done my homework and checked them out before I booked.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Europcar has the habit of not putting pre-existing damage on the rental contract and leaving it up to the customer to discover existing scratches and dents. After the rental, the customer is charged for any pre-existing damage that was missed during the pre-rental inspection. This is nothing more than a trick to supplement rental revenues.

Europcar Company Information