Europcar

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the worst company I have ever hired a car from. I hired the car in the UK from Expedia for Ibiza. Very poor check in but when we returned the car in Ibiza, they charged us 80Euros because it had sand in it. We had the car for 2 weeks with 2 small children. They said we needed to clean to car. They never mentioned this when we picked it up and I have never had to clean a car when I hired it. The UK customer service when I complained was the rudest I have ever spoken to. DO NOT HIRE A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE COWBOYS.

I rented a car at the Madrid airport (terminal 1) on August 3rd. I checked in on the arrival floor and went down to get my rental car. I gave my paperwork to the employee down there and she gave me the key to the car and told me where it was. The CAR WAS A DISASTER. The left rear bumper was smashed in and we couldn't open the back-trunk door. The front license plate was broken and scraped against the pavement when I started driving it. Then I drove it about 20 feet and the car made a clunking noise that brought the car to an immediate stop. Tried it again and the same thing happened. We couldn't drive it. (Not a car mechanic, but it felt like a transmission issue). We went to the Europcar workers there and they insisted that I was wrong and that the car was checked over and over and it was perfect. They refused to look at it until I raised my voice and insisted that the car was not safe to drive.

They FINALLY gave me another car (an upgrade), but did not admit it was a faulty car and shook their head like I was being difficult. I waited for an hour for one of their workers to inspect it, but they were busy talking to one another or doing anything but inspect our rental car. Finally, I went to the counter where I received the key and asked what I should do. She said it was alright to leave without being inspected so we left.

Four days later, we return the car to Madrid airport (Terminal 4) and they go over the car with a fine tooth comb and take photos, etc. To our shock, they send us up to the Europcar office and find out we are being charged for all the dents. UNBELIEVABLE!!! They said it was our fault and that I should wait for hours until one of their workers go around to inspect it. Even though one the employees told me it was okay to leave. This is a rinky-dink organization. I can't believe they are still in business. I would avoid renting a car from them at all costs.

I recently rented a car with Europcar Ireland and I am very displeased with my experience. I have been accused of damage I didn't cause but I accept this as I did not think to double check the damage highlighted to me. Having regretfully accepted the damage I have been grossly overcharged to repair the damage and I have been charged for the repair of other damage that was not highlighted to me. I feel completely betrayed by this company and it is my stern warning to all potential customers to not choose Europcar.

I rented a car from Europcar in Lisbon for 10 days. When we arrived to pick it up it was not ready and we had to wait 6 hours before it was! We lost an entire day of our vacation and did not receive any compensation. Then when I returned home, I received an additional charge on my credit card for $372 Euros with no explanation or information about what they were charging me for. And now, I have just received another bill for $97 Euros with no explanation or information. So, in the end this car ended up costing several hundred dollars more than the competition. I have tried to get answers from Europcar but every time I call they are unable to help. Do not rent from this company!

Hired a car in the UK which had some warning lights. Took ages and multiple calls to different numbers to actually speak with someone about it. We were told to wait where we were visiting for a breakdown service to arrive to check out the car. No one showed up even though we waited until 30 minutes after the allotted time. After that I spent hours on the phone trying to speak with someone who could help me. We finally got a breakdown service to come out to check the car, but I could not reach the branch office in Oxford.

I was told to deal with for a replacement via phone. I called customer service and heard I would be charged 10p/minute to speak with customer service for something that is totally Europcar's fault. Ultimately got through to someone who just kept saying "sorry, but pls keep trying oxford and contact us once your rental has terminated to express your views and we will set up a case." LOUSY, TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE example of customer service. My takeaway - DO NOT USE EUROPCAR!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Booked the car for collection in Funchal airport through Easyjet only to find out I could've booked it direct with Europcar direct for £25 cheaper! NOT GOOD. On arrival at Funchal airport the first car I was given a SEAT Ibiza, looked like it had been a 'demolition' derby, and was filthy inside (video evidence available) which in turn delayed my holiday by over an hour. NOT GOOD. Second car a Fiat Punto 59-SQ-16; I was told would have 400 miles on the clock and brand new. When I received it, it had 8400 miles on the clock and far from brand new. Not only was it not fit for purpose it wouldn't go up most of the hills, it was a 'DEATH TRAP'. The BRAKES FAILED coming down a hill (DISGRACEFUL). NOT GOOD.

I called the breakdown recovery, they eventually arrived and tried to convince me that the brakes were okay asking me to drive it to the nearest europcar rental. I point blank refused. He eventually said okay he would drive it, the BRAKES FAILED AGAIN. When we got to the europcar depot his face was a picture (audio evidence available of brakes failing). (SHOCKING). NOT GOOD. Europcar and the breakdown recovery driver had a long conversation in Portuguese, where they wouldn't reveal what was said except to say that "we will look into it"! NOT GOOD. Obviously I was unable to refuel the car (1/4 tank) as it was undrivable, I offered to pay for it there and then but they said no. I would have to deal with it at the airport when I returned the latest car to the drop off point at Funchal Airport. NOT GOOD.

When we arrived at the drop off point at Funchal airport, the latest car was checked over and all fine, I enquired about the Fiat Punto, and was informed that all was fine. There also no further payment required. On my return to the UK I find I have now been charged on my credit card £53.66 for fuel and £90 for the recovery truck. A total of £143.66. NOT GOOD. I have contacted Customer Services on a daily with the stock answer being 'I am not able to help you any further sir'. I have asked to speak to a Manager/Supervisor only to be told there are none available at the moment and even if there were they couldn't help me anyway. NOT GOOD. I was expecting an apology for providing me with a death trap of a car, instead I have been charged £143.66 without an explanation!! NOT GOOD. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Picked up a car at Europcar in San Sebastian for a drive to Barcelona. The car was in an underground garage in San Sebastian, it was dark and not easy to see. The report stated one big bump on the right passenger door, nothing else. We looked around the car the best we could but did not find anything else that caught the eye. When returning the car in Barcelona they remarked on a scratch on the driver's door. I had not seen it myself if they had not shown me. Probably a parking damage, it did not happen during my watch and probably the S Sebastian office had seen this but not found it important. Mind you the car had run almost 4000 km when I picked it up.

The Europcar Barcelona airport guy asked me to pay 400 euro for the damage. Completely outrageous and I did what could to argue with them but they only referred to the fine print in the rental contract. The guy could not even say what I was paying, how he came up with the sum. I was there with family and had no time to argue but had to let it go. But never again Europcar.

I returned an Opal with a full tank of gas and even fueled up in the Shell Gas Station right next to the rental car garage at the Dusseldorf Airport and they billed me for 28 Euros. I complained and showed proof that I have refueled the tank with a full tank of gas sending them photos of the dashboard of the fuel tank and showed them the receipt. But they still kept sending me letters saying I owe them the 28 Euros. I went with them in the first place because they were the lowest price. Big mistake. The cheap becomes the expensive. Do not get tempted. Stick with Avis, Enterprise, and Hertz.

Prepaid thru Orbitz, arrived at the Europcar desk in Frankfurt and immediately the agent tried to upsell me on insurance. I remember him saying 'what about winter snow tires'... It was almost June. Knew there would be problems. Got back home and there's another charge on my credit card, bill came in the mail showing another rental. Amazing they can claim I rented two vehicles while in Germany. Capital One sided with them, "Screw the little guy" must be their new motto. Should have stuck with Hertz, never had an issue with that company. Don't ever rent from Europcar if you can help it.

I have rented with Europcar before. Last year I rented at Heathrow Airport after flying in from the US. The only car available was a huge SUV. I told the man in the rental parking lot that I was alone and that I would be driving on small country roads and lanes in Devon and Cornwall. He was from Eastern Europe and didn't speak English! I had no choice but to take the car as it was late afternoon and I needed to get to my destination by nightfall. I tried to exchange it for a smaller car at two different Europcar locations en route, but without success.

This year, I rented from Europcar twice at Gatwick Airport. The first time the car was the right size for me, but I felt intimidated by a staff member who told me that my US credit card would not cover CDW charges. When I told her that I had been renting cars for years in different parts of the world and had had no problem with my credit card, that in fact I had checked with them before leaving on this trip and been assured that my credit card would cover CDW charges on car rentals, she continued arguing with me. She then tried to tell me that most card companies only covered one rental a year. I disagreed with her and eventually got my car. I was tired and unhappy that I had had to argue with her.

When I returned the car, even though it was prepaid through rentalcars.com with a statement on my receipt from rentalcars.com that there would be no extra taxes or other expenses charged, Europcar insisted on charging me quite a large amount for airport and other taxes etc. I again argued, spoke to the manager, but they were stubborn and unpleasant and my card was charged the extra expenses.

When I returned to Europcar, Gatwick, a week later to collect another rental also prepaid through rentalcars.com, I pretty much went through the same experience. Issues with my credit card which I negotiated firmly this time. And again an extra drop off charge for airport taxes etc. Additionally, I was again given a large SUV even though I had requested a smaller car because of driving on small country roads. I found the staff rigid, unfriendly, and in no way wanting to help with my request or distress at how I was being treated. As mentioned, the staff are all from somewhere else, mainly E. Europe. Maybe that is how they treat customers in their part of the world. I found the experience disappointing, stressful and intimidating.

I travel regularly to the ITER Fusion research establishment in Cadarache S. France where I am an external examiner. I am based there for the whole period and the total mileage covered is never more than around 200 miles which includes the pick up and return journey to the car rental company at Marseille airport. I hired a car for 4 days from Europcar at Marseille airport (11th July - 15th July) and returned the car - brimmed the tank at the airport fuel station. I kept the fuel receipt which matches up perfectly for around 200 miles use. Horrified now to receive an invoice, claiming that I have driven 1630 miles and demanding an extra charge of 273 Euros.

I am very concerned, because the outgoing document one received at the airport, details the outgoing mileage. However, the invoice document doesn't detail any return mileage and simply invents this figure of 1630 miles which is absolute nonsense. I have been trying to find a telephone conduit to get this "error" rectified, However, it appears to be impossible and all I have been able to do is fill in the online customer complaint form. From what I have read, the response from this avenue of complaint is poor and so I need to find another route to ensure that Europcar cannot remove this sum of money from my credit card. Needless to say, I will never use Europcar ever again.

I had pre-booked a car to be picked up at Manchester Airport office. When I spoke with the agent, she insisted I had to pay for a further charge, for insurance of the vehicle. When I showed her my guaranteed price that had no mention of extra insurance required, she said I had to buy it, incurring almost a 50% increase to my budgeted cost. She then tried to upgrade the car, bamboozling me with figures before I said that all I wanted was the original car. I had no alternative but to pay the extra insurance charge as I needed the car for the holiday. I decided to deal with it later. I had noticed during my 40 minute wait to be served, that all the customers at the desks were arguing with the agents, I realise that they perhaps were being presented with extra charges too!

Upon returning the car 16 days later, to the Rochester depot, the office manager agreed that I should have been charged the guaranteed price, and immediately wrote an email to the Manchester Airport office and to Customer Service. I received an email a week later upon my return home, stating that because I had signed the insurance agreement, the charges will stand. I had to pay it under duress, as I couldn't take the car without paying the extra charge!!!

I have since received an email for customer feedback, to which I detailed this story, and of course, the NZ office can't supersede the UK office! Typical response! On the agreement I have, it no way states that there will be an insurance charge, only speeding fines and parking tickets which is fair enough. This is misrepresentation, and for the sake of customer relations I would expect this charge to be waived - the power of social media and word of mouth is very valuable. I would definitely discourage anyone to hire through this company that don't seem to care about customer service, without customers there is no business.

Rented a car from Europcar in Marburg, Germany for a week between July 3-1, 2017. The car was booked with Check24/TUI for Euro 199.64. My card was charged again by Europcar for Euro 128.77. I must say that I have hired cars from them before and everything has gone well till now. Europcar should return the money.

Absolutely the worst car rental company that there could be. Totally ruined our short trip to Europe. A 0 star review, if such was possible. Where to even begin?? We rented a Mercedes A-Class car on Monday July 10th from the Heathrow airport Europcar location, hoping to spend a few days in Europe visiting some friends. It came with no spare tire and no navigation system! Also, there was absolutely no indication that there is an extra fee (60 pounds) just to take the car to Europe, nor did the attendant who booked our car mention anything regarding this. On our journey to Amsterdam, we unfortunately managed to get a flat tire. After calling the emergency accident contact number indicated on the front window, we were directed to services in the UK who told us to contact the Europcar service in the Netherlands.

We waited 3 hours for a person from Bergnet to come pick up the car, who told us that the car would be ready by 9 am, and this was very important because we had to be back by 6 pm to Heathrow. However, upon arriving at the address where the car was supposed to be ready, it was not there. The mechanics did not know where it was. The Mercedes dealership nearby had no idea where it was. The Europcar location nearby had no idea where the car was either. Again, we tried calling the emergency contact number and literally any associate at Europcar UK and the Netherlands that could help us. All they did was bounce us back and forth between different departments, with no definite answers or solutions being provided as to where the car was or what we should or can do. After waiting another 3 hours, we were told that the car would only be ready at 2 pm.

This was totally outrageous because we were specifically told that it would be ready earlier! Of course, being at Heathrow by 6 pm was out of the question, forcing some of us to pay to take flights home! Not only that, but I personally had to pay for the tire replacement (115 Euro), even though my agreement with Europcar specified that Medium protection was paid for and included. After finally picking up the car and returning to Heathrow, we were notified that we would not be getting a refund for the repairs that should have been covered by Europcar. They also conveniently added the Europe travel cost, and refused to even hear me out concerning the fact that our plans were ruined because none of the operatives at any of the departments at both Europcar UK and Netherlands could help us at all. All they did was shift responsibility to some other department and put us on hold, back and forth at least 10 times.

No word about any replacement car, any compensation, or any help whatsoever. They just abandoned us. As a result of everything, we were forced to pay an alarmingly bigger sum that was specified, with the Europe travel cost being subtracted from our 250 Pound security deposit. The entire tire ordeal was not compensated, even though it was supposed to be covered by Europcar, and the entire service provided by Europcar employees and operators was just totally inconsiderate, unprofessional, and abysmally low in regards to customer service. I do not recommend using this company to rent any vehicles. Stay away from this company all costs. You will literally end up burning through stress and money, all the while being treated so ** poorly. Judging from the other reviews for this company, this is very common behaviour on the part of Europcar.

Explore any other car rental options. Never consider this company. They are dishonest, their prices are at least twice as much as Enterprise, and it appears that they don't give a rat's ass about any of their clients, only fleecing more and any money they can get their hands on. This is absolute ** robbery! I'm seriously set on pressing charges for this **.

Similar to other stories. I hired a car from Europcar, they can't get you through quick enough, picked up car in a dark car park and was in a rush. Car was fairly old and had some scratches on the boot... You know where this is going. When I returned it they claimed I had done it, which I absolutely hadn't, but said "see the next guy..." They then just send it on to head office and when you complain they just say followed procedure and you accepted car. This is just an additional way of making them money - I will NEVER use them again - but if you do, make sure you record EVERY SINGLE scratch or anything they can charge you for. Because they will.

Hired a car from Murcia airport. Check documents the following day due to collecting the car at 11 pm. Only mistake was the damaged wheel was on the front of the car and not the rear. But as there was a total of 3 very good wheel and 1 damaged I thought they would acknowledge their mistake. NO. They said, "Yes you do have 3 Very good wheels and 1 damaged but as it is not where the paperwork said it will chargeable and you owe us 450 Euros but it's ok you can claim it on your insurance." I have to ask Why do they want me to claim on the insurance if it was already damaged and probably already been claimed for. Will be an interesting response Dave.

Beware when renting a car from EuropCar. These guys charge your credit card whatever they feel like, they don't refund your fuel charge and they will blame you for all previous scratches on the vehicle. Oh and good luck getting through to customer service.

Just returned a car hired from Europcar in Greece. On return they charged me 25 euro as the car was "excessively dirty" - in reality a dusting of sand following 14 days touring beaches which would take 2 minutes to Hoover. There was a much rehearsed review by the manager. So never again!

Europcar Albion is a scam!! Beware, and the worst car hiring experience that I've encountered. I hired a HINO 300 4.2M AUTO (INC. HYDRAULIC LIFT) Truck for a few 4 hours on a Tuesday. The initial cost was $84.55 because I booked it online. Then when it came to picking up the truck, I had to pay another $44 for the extra cover to drop the excise to $900 because I was made aware that if I hadn't that I would be liable for $5000 if there was even a minor scratch on the vehicle. They then took a bond of $400 and also the initial cost which was $526.40, which on the booking confirmation email, it stated that only 185.76 bonds are required. When returned the vehicle with only 1 bar of diesel fuel missing and perfect condition, I was charged a whopping extra $50 dollars on top of my initial costing bring the total to $176.55 for 4 hour and only travel 55 km. This is place is a scam. Be aware!

Very poor. When typing in 'Europcar London Gatwick airport' into both Google Maps and iPhone maps no address can be found, which led me to be completely lost for hours and nearly having an accident due to fatigue and desperation of not being able to find my way back in the middle of the night after many hours of driving. As I was the sole driver and had never driven in England before, I naively assumed Europcar would be up to date with online navigation services, as I never had a problem hiring cars in other countries such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

When phoning the helpline and explaining that I had been lost for hours and that I was terrified, the staff member was unsympathetic and rude to me, as well as the staff member who worked at the car rental return point, who after explaining my situation asked me if “he looked like the bloody CEO of the company” and that whether the Google map location worked or not wasn't his responsibility. I would not hire a car with this unfriendly company again.

Rented a car from Europcar in Geneva. Arrived and car was in decent condition. The clerk at the airport told me I had the option to return the car with a full tank, or they could fill it for me. I asked if it was more expensive, he said not much. I signed the contract (written in French) and we were on our way. Fast forward a week and I went to return the vehicle. There was one person taking back the cars in the airport car park and there was a queue of more than 30 cars waiting. We couldn't even get into the car park as the queue for Europcar had blocked the entrances. My family and I ended up missing our flights and had to re-book for the following day. With accommodation and taxi costs as well as the new flights this set me back an extra £300.

To add insult to injury a week or so after getting back I got charged around £150. I contacted Europcar and they said I had brought the vehicle back empty and that was the cost of refueling. Firstly I left the car with a tank that was half full and secondly they charged a ridiculous 3 euro a litre for fuel (less than 1.4 Euro everywhere in Geneva at the time). They ignored emails and when they eventually responded they dismissed my concerns out of hand. Apparently the amount was stated in the small print, but I don't read French and the airport clerk should have been more forthright. Let's say that's acceptable, if unfair, it's still a blatant lie to say the car was empty. Extremely disappointed and annoyed and it seems like thousands of others have had similar terrible experiences with Europcar. Wish I'd read the reviews before booking. Hopefully they will go out of business soon.

Rented car at Alicante, Spain airport for 1 week in mid-May 2017. Nice car and I filled petrol tank about 2 kilometers from Alicante airport before return. When I got credit card bill a few days later Europcar had charged me an additional 86 Euros for petrol. After complaining to them I waited about 2 weeks and then got a reply that they had made a mistake and as I had returned the car full of petrol they reimbursed me after another 7-10 days wait. I think the only reason they gave me my money back was because I had kept the petrol receipt with time and date stamp and emailed them it to prove I had filled up the car. Lesson learned here is to always keep your petrol receipts as it could happen to you, especially if you use Europcar. I personally will never use them again.

Made an account just to leave this review so that people are aware of an insurance scam that Europcar is running. Rented a car recently at the Edinburgh airport and had a similar experience as previous reviewers where Europcar wouldn't give me the car unless I buy insurance from them. I told them that I had bought it from Expedia and if that didn't work, my credit card covers it as well (I even showed it on my bank's website as proof). The customer service representative (Salomon) insisted that it was mandatory to buy it from Europcar.

I agreed to buy it if he formally write it down that it is mandatory. He said that it was written in the terms and conditions. He spent 20 minutes to look in the terms and conditions couldn't find it and then was okay for me to use my own insurance. The whole thing took an hour before I got my car. The car ended up being quite dirty as well. It was the first time I used Europcar and definitely my last time. Please do yourself a favor and avoid them even if it means paying a couple more dollars extra per day.

When I was moving house last year I made one of the worst decisions ever and hiring a van from the branch in Glasgow. After returning it, I received a letter 10 days later saying the van was damaged and it was going to cost me over 500 in repairs. Little did they realize though I had taken photographs of the damage BEFORE I picked up the van and it had the date and time stamp on the photograph. To put it a better way, they were clearly at it! Would recommend that you take photographs of the vehicle before and report ANY damage before picking it up. Would rather pay extra and go to any other company than this shambles of an organization.

Ordered my car through Economy Car Rentals in the UK for pick up at Heathrow Airport the same way that we did 2 years ago as Economy Car Rentals are easy to deal with and we found their partner in 2015 was also a great company to deal with. This time however it turns out that Europcar is their partner supplying vehicles. From the moment you get into Europcar's collection office the attendant is trying to upsell you, firstly it's manual to auto, then comes the size of the car etc etc (this is not much fun after a 24 hour flight).

My car came with all extras bar the excess protection. I was happy to pay the extra for excess protection but did not realise that 24 hour road service was added to my contract (something that was already in my contract with Economy Car Rentals). I have been in contact with Europcar and evidently I signed for the 24 hour service so it will not be refunded... They cannot however explain to me that I had 24 hour breakdown service twice and I would have assumed that having it in my original contract it would overrule the high pressured selling technique of the staff member. Be VERY VERY wary of Europcar's staff and their upsell techniques, apparently overseas tired customers are what this company prefer to deal with as we are easy targets!

After a long flight from South Africa I arrived at the Europcar counter at Heathrow airport to collect my previously reserved rental car. The sales agents priority was to sell me an upgrade. He started by saying I should take a diesel instead of a petrol. I told him the diesel cars were too expensive. He promised to give me a good deal and assured me that any additional cost would be covered by the saving in my fuel bill. This was far from the truth. Then he did not have a small diesel for me so said I would have to take an upgrade. I told him I was on a fixed budget and could not pay extra for an upgrade.

Once again, he assured me he would give me a good deal. I told him I did not want a bigger car as there were just two of us. He would not listen and came up with a Citroen C4 diesel. I told him the price was too high so he came up with a new deal which was £100 less!! I should have been suspicious then when he could suddenly drop the price by such a large amount. At no time in our negotiating, which went on for nearly an hour, did he mention that this was an additional charge on top of the pre-payment I had already paid to my rental agent. I told him more than once that I was on a fixed budget and did not want to pay more than my original deal. The final figure he gave me seemed similar to what I had been quoted so reluctantly I agreed, not realizing that it was in additional to my pre-payment.

The agent next suggested I take the fuel tank option where I would pay for a full tank of fuel and could bring the car back with an empty tank. I was assured that Europcar's price for diesel was cheaper than what I would pay on the street so it was a good deal. Again, this was not true. Having just arrived in the UK I was unaware of the fuel prices so accepted his word. Their price for a tank of diesel worked out to £70.68 which, given that the Jeep Renegade has a 48 litre fuel tank, would make the Europcar diesel price to be £1.47 per litre. The most expensive diesel I bought in two and a half weeks of traveling all around the UK was £1.299 per litre, that is 17.1 hence cheaper than Europcar's price.

On being presented with the car it was a 7 seater Citroen Picasso SUV, not the C4 sedan I was expecting. This was ridiculously too big for two of us. I refused the car and insisted we go back to my original deal with the Corsa. After having told me that the Citroen was the only diesel he had available he miraculously produced a Jeep Renegade. The Jeep was still too big for us but after discussing it with my wife we agreed to accept it as it was getting late and we needed to get to our destination. The car was given to me without a spare wheel, wheel spanner, jack or emergency inflator in case of a flat wheel. There was no handbook for the car so I was unable to discover how all the gizmos worked, and there were many.

I have been renting cars all over the world since the 1980’s and have never had an experience like this before. I appeal to anyone reading this to be very aware of what you agree to when collecting a rental. I ended up paying nearly double my original quote for a car that I did not need or want in the first place. I have subsequently read other reviews of people having similar experiences with Europcar at Heathrow. I agree with one of the reviewers who believes that the agents get bonuses for talking customers into taking "extras" they did not request.

I believe I was misled by the agent who took advantage of the fact that I was tired after the long flight from South Africa and did not know the cost of fuel in the UK. My best interests were not considered at all. On discussing this with my rental agent they suggested that should I have a similar problem in future I should call them and they will discuss the deal with the rental agent. I think this is very good advice.

We reserved a car at Hyeres Airport for two days. The online price was USD 59.16. We bought a "premium" insurance, since we were new at driving in Europe, which was supposed to be about 60 euros for two days, and we were presented with a bill for 142.22 euros in addition to $59.16. When I asked for a breakdown, we were told that the website didn't charge all the necessary charges like airport surcharge, taxes, etc. I contacted customer service about it, but have yet to receive an understandable explanation of bills. I will never ever rent from this company again.

I rented a Renault Clio 1.2 engine Dublin Airport. All the usual process. I never buy excess insurance with car rental companies. I always buy online generally around 65 euro a year and you can use up to 3 times a year. The rental company took excess amount from my credit card. The amount was 13000. Generally rental car companies charge between 16 to 35 euro a day for excess insurance. A lot of money. I rent approximately 6 car a year. Usually for 2 week to 1 month at a time. My complaint is my car was returned spotless clean inside and out. I was charged for a tiny scuff mark/scratch on the alloy wheel. The scratch was tiny the size of the tip of one of my nails. I had to get on my hand and knees to see the scratch. I would consider a tiny scratch on a alloy wheel to be normal wear and tear. I had two rental car for the month of July with Europcar which I have cancelled. Be very careful of rental cars with this company as this is not acceptable.

I recently hired an average size car from Europcar at Dublin Airport for three days. The vehicle (Renault Saloon) looked reasonable at first glance from the outside, but inside it was very stale and grubby, with a pile of litter in one of the rear doors from the last user! The rear windscreen (inside) was also dirty. Beyond that, the steering did not appear to be 100% stable at high speed and there was little or no outside tread on at least the front tires. Although buttons existed to connect for hands free calls, nothing worked. I complained when I took it back and later by email. So far, I've only received the usual questionnaire to rate how much I enjoyed the experience.

I arrived at London Heathrow to collect my car and get on my way. I was jet lagged and tired after travelling from Australia. When I arrived to pick up the car I was told I had booked a manual and was I happy with that? I said that I would prefer an auto if they had one and they did!! What they didn't mention was that it was an upgraded car and that I would now be charged an extra 15 pounds per day. I didn't find this out until they gave me the final price.

I was also told that I would have to allocate 1000 pounds on my credit card for the excess on the car insurance unless I upgraded to the premium insurance taking this amount now down to zero. Since I didn't have 1000 pounds available on my credit card I had no choice but to buy the insurance. Lastly they now also had to take a further 250 pounds on my credit card so that if I park in an illegal parking spot or get a speeding fine they will have money to be able to take. I had not allocated this on my credit card either so didn't have the room on my card so I had no choice but to give them just about all of the spending money I had allocated for my short trip. If it was not for a small amount in my savings I would have not been able to do anything at all on the trip.

Disgusting way to run a business, very very underhand, very cloak and dagger about the process and you certainly feel as though you are being taken advantage of due to your jet lag. I will avoid using these guys in the future and will be happy to pay extra to a different rental company if needed. One last thing about the service at Heathrow is that it is miles from the terminal so you have to get on a bus with all your luggage to go get your car. Major hassle. I would happily fly into Gatwick just to avoid this cock up. Just a con from the start.

Europcar Company Profile