1.06/5
  • 1 star
Based on 107 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

475 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Europcar cannot be trusted. We rented a car from Heathrow in June. We were charged 600 pounds for an upgrade we did not want. Simply saying you are getting a ‘different’ car without mentioning cost is tantamount to fraud. We were pressured into buying expensive insurance which proved useless and/or dishonest when we had an accident. At the time we were told we were covered but over 5 months later were sent an extortionate and threatening bill without any clear justification for their decision. Europcar claimed there had been previous correspondence. This is simply a lie.

Europcar’s dishonest practice in overcharging for repairs has been extensively reported in The Telegraph amongst other papers and is being investigated by trading standards and, I believe, the serious fraud office. We have contacted Europcar’s customer service department with no response as yet. We simply have no faith in this company’s business practices or ethics. We would suggest anyone considering car hire should avoid Europcar, even if, on the surface, their prices seem attractive. You could end up paying considerably more than you ever expected.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Europcar charged us $800 for FAKE damages. We returned the car in perfect condition, only to find charges on our credit card for a bumper scuff. This company is beyond dishonest and unethical. I will NEVER use their business again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I was very unhappy with this rental. The initial contact made me take insurance when I knew I did not need it. When I returned and presented paperwork and tried to have issue corrected, the contact did not have a business card, would not give me their last name and essentially told me, "Too bad - if you had come a few hours earlier we could have done this for you." I had rented the car for 7 days + a few hours. When I sent extensive documentation to customer service, their response was that 'they were not there so they could not confirm my issues.' UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Do not rent a car with this company! Europcar likes "hidden fees," and their complete disregard for customer service, dissatisfaction, and retention is astonishing! We collected our rental car at London Gatwick airport and were later charged 30.62 pounds sterling for "Premium Station Surcharge," “Licenses and Fees," and VAT. While traveling in England, we neglected to pay a small Department of Transport toll equivalent to $3.51. A "team" of Europcar "Customer Service" representatives sent me the notice to pay the toll and charged a 40 pounds sterling "Administration Fee" for doing so.

The Department of Transport proved to be understanding and forgiving: "We recognize the new Dart Charge scheme and associated penalty charges may be unfamiliar to you. Therefore if you pay the outstanding USD 3.51 road user charge online or through our contact centre within 14 days of the date of service, the enclosed PCN will be cancelled." I paid the toll online, but Europcar refused to refund the Administration Fee, insisting that the toll charge was a "fine." The company then engaged three different "Customer Service" and "Fine" agents in four separate email transactions over several months to argue the merits of charging a customer an administration fee that is 15 times that of a nominal toll charge! Wow -- just wow!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I rented a car in Palma Mallorca in October of this year. When I went to the car I noticed it was very dirty and had numerous scratches. I documented these scratches and had one of their employees come back to the car with me so he too could document these scratches. There were no new scratches on the car when it was returned.

A month later I got a bill stating there were scratches on the car and it would cost 419,34 Euros. I replied with the pictures of the same scratches and told them I would not pay. They then requested the License Plate number which I sent them along with more pictures of the car and the employee's picture. Why is it that even after all this they said I scratched the car... What a scam. Please document EVERY scratch, employee, license plate # speedometer etc. when renting a car, especially here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Do not rent car using Europcar. I rent car from Europcar Dundee UK on June 2017 and returned the car without damaging the car. Two weeks later, I was emailed by Europcar that there were additional damage on the car, and I liable for it. They argue that although I did not damage the car, I still liable to the additional damage that possibly happen in their parking lot at the weekend when I am using drop off service to return the car. The funny thing is they could not prove this additional damage. Fyi, Europcar is under investigation for this huge scam case. Definitely, I will fight in this dispute.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We rented a car with defective tire. The tire was total flat a short time after driving. We had to buy a new one. Calling the company, we were transferred 3 times and then you hung up before anyone answered the phone. We had over 20 USD phone charges for nothing and no help. We were told when returning the car you would pay for our time and money loss. While changing the defect tire. A car drove up and stole my wife's hand luggage containing all her shoes and jewelry, total value over USD 5,000.00. All information was added to your computer system when we returned the car. We were told that you would contact us. You never did!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Car rent KLIA2 Kuala Lumpur: The car was in a bad state. Lots of damage. The navigation was useless, outdated and in the armrest of the back seat we found medicines. We got no refund for the navigation and no response on the complaint.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

When my husband and I rent cars in Europe, it is almost always with Europcar, which has some good qualities. They charge reasonable rates (in stark contrast to Hertz and Avis, for example), and have far more pick-up and drop-off points. The cars we have rented have always been in good condition. In addition, it is affordable to pick up in one location and drop it off in another, so long as it is in the same country. These are big advantages, for which I would give them 4 stars.

BUT, we've also had problems with customer service and information. On the trip to France we just returned from, we rented in Lyon Part Dieu rail station and returned in Bordeaux. We explicitly wanted and reserved a "compact" car, because we are experienced drivers in Europe, and understand how tiny the roads, parking garage spaces, etc. are. So we were quite put out when, instead of something "compact", they gave us a large diesel van. We explained that this is NOT what we reserved and requested an exchange for a much smaller vehicle. They said it wasn't possible to exchange it, and were unwilling to help us figure out, perhaps, another location on our route where we could exchange it.

So we were stuck with this vehicle we didn't want. It wasn't a disaster, but it was quite an annoyance, since it was unwieldy to maneuver in small city streets, 1-lane country roads, and parking garages where the spaces are all designed for smaller vehicles. And forget parallel parking! In addition, they assured us that the vehicle had GPS. It was technically true that it had GPS software, but there were no maps loaded onto it, and no instruction manual for either the car or its media system.

It can also be challenging to find Europcar offices, especially in smaller towns, such as Troyes (where we rented another car earlier in this trip). We had an address for the office, and it turned out to be located in a hotel about a block away from the rail station, but no one in the rail station knew where it was located, and there was no sign of any kind at the hotel that they were also the Europcar office. So we asked at the reception desk if we were in the right place, and were told yes. However, the hotel receptionist could only tell us where the car was parked, and was not able to answer any other questions about it.

As others have observed, their pick-up and drop-off hours are not always correct on the website, and in some locations this trip they charged an extra fee for some pick-up times you would imagine to be standard, such as Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. So I'm sure we will continue to rent from Europcar, but may call or email in advance to emphasize the size car we want and be clear we do NOT want outsized vehicle. The biggest problem, though, was the size of the car. I do wonder if they have this fantasy that American all like big cars, so they won't mind if they foist one off on them. We had a similar experience with the Big Vehicle problem a few years ago, but at that time successfully insisted on a smaller car.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I looked for a vehicle with this Europcar site, they give you a price per day renting one of their vehicle. My vacation was in Costa Rica, I am American-Costa Rican, Accordingly with Europcar you can cancel the reservation 2 days before and the money will be return to you if you cancel it. 2 weeks prior 09/20/17 I requested my family to contact them at their office in Mango Park, and ask about the insurance to see if all square into my budget. The person that responded said that all the prices were final and that initial price already had the insurance.

When I got there, there was none one at the airport when it was what I understood it will happen. When I got to Mango Park, this guy gave me the price which it was outrageous and I could not rent the car. I asked communicate with Europcar and he said that he did not have any way to communicate with them, that I will have to do that in the same way I got the reservation. Unfortunately I could not contact them.

Which made me wonder, what is this Europcar doing for real, they are taking your money for what. You are doing the job over that reservation by taking your time and selecting your vehicle yourself, none one have any idea of who is who, and there is less knowledge of how the taxes or insurance for driving down in Costa Rica are, not even the people that worked at the office. They tell you everything is ok, and when it does not work for you, because you did not close the deal you lose your investment of all the job you did in finding the "Best" deal, for them but not for you. Finally I came back home, contacted Europcar, and they did not give you back at least half of what you first paid.

Europcar is a website that only takes your money out of your work and work over the computer, they do not know anything, there is not communication or knowledge over taxes and insurances. They are intermediaries taking easy money for them. I speak both English and Spanish Costa Rican one. And I understand to perfection everything that I deal there, is hard to say that the Europcar office is filled with incompetent people that the less they know the better for this company that seems to be from England. So if you like transparency, this intermediary company does not know what it means. The response from chat was that I did not have a credit card, which I had only that the numbers on the card were flat, second the money was outrageous charges. (My Card from where took the money for my reservation was the same that I used when I was at Mango Park... Convenience right? )

Moral: Look for which are the rental car names in and from Costa Rica, go online and deal directly with them. I ended up using Dollar rental car, they took my card, and after being here in US 4 days later my arrival the charge took place. Go direct rent car from there. Not with intermediary which people don't know anything just for their convenience using your work and taking your money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We rented a car from Europcar online from rentalcars.com. I paid up front for car rental $441.38 to rentalcars.com using my card and received confirmation for pick up at EUROPCAR in Nice, France on August 26th. When car was picked up on August 26 we were charged another 600 Euros for deposit. Car broke down September 2nd, so repeated calls totalling 28 between my husband and myself were made to EUROPCAR emergency office but no answer. POLICE CAME AND CALLED TOW TRUCK AND CAR WAS TOWED. Tow truck driver also called EUROPCAR and was on hold for 1 hour with no answer either. So we proceeded to call taxi and go to Cannes and rent a room. Total cost for taxi and room was around $200.00. Next morning we got to Nice and EUROPCAR gave us another car.

When we returned car early (4:00AM) on due date we see that we were charged another $525.73 to our credit card plus we never got our 600 EUROS for deposit. We have contacted EUROPCAR several times with no satisfaction. To recap, EUROPCAR has failed to reimburse monies incurred as a result of contract vehicle breaking down, unforeseen overnight lodging charges, original 600 Euro deposit and additional $525.73 unauthorized charges.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I hired a car in October 2017. At the end of the rental, I filled up the petrol tank at the closest petrol station (3 miles away), returned the car at 6 am, and posted the car keys. The branch wasn't open yet, so there was no one there to check the car. I later received a "Fuel Charge" bill for £27.84, as though I hadn't returned the car full of petrol. This is PURE THEFT. I have emailed them, and their CEO, to complain but they do not reply. I included a copy of my petrol receipt, but of course, all I can show is that I put £26 of petrol in the car, 5 minutes before returning it... it doesn't prove that the tank was full. Never again... I do not trust this Europcar (Bristol Airport) branch, and neither should you. Has anyone else been ripped off by this branch?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I rented a car from Europcar during a recent trip to Reykjavik, Iceland. I rented it at the airport from a very unfriendly agent. Overall, the rental was fine. Unfortunately, after the rental, I misplaced my rental agreement and need it to submit for reimbursement. It has now been a month. I send emails weekly and only receive responses telling me they cannot help and I cannot respond to the address of origination. There is no phone number anywhere online where you can talk to a representative. I have submitted this request through their website section that says "receive a copy of your invoice" and they respond saying they cannot help me.

I was referred to another email address that didn't work, when I responded to say the address was bad, I was informed the original email address was unable to receive email. What kind of service is this? I have the rental agreement number. This is a very simple request and should never be this complicated. What in the world would happen if I had a big problem. There is no phone number for this company anywhere. I would never have rented from this company if I realized it was uncontactable. I was a walk up at the airport, so I was unaware of their reservation process. By the way, when you look up the phone number at the Reykjavik airport, it is for a phone that no one answers. This is super sketchy for international travelers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017
Booked through European destinations. Went to pick up the car, which was paid for, and tried to upsell me to a higher level car. Told them multiple times I was not interested. Very pushy. Eventually told him if no additional charges ok. Still pushed the upcharge. Finally agreed, so I thought, that I would get a free upgrade.

Should have known something was not right when he folded the contract with only the signature area exposed. Got home after the trip and was charged for an upgrade! Also charged for towing insurance which was never discussed. Do not use this company. Switch and bait con artists.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Rented a Audi A6 The Gatwick with a Heathrow Drop off. The staff at the LHR location are arrogant and rude. I will tell as many of my business associates that travel to London about my experience and NOT EVER to use EUROPCAR. I had an overlap clearly printed on my rental agreement with a 2 hour window. The guy came out to check the car. I said good afternoon. He totally ignored me. Then told me that the I would be charged for 3 days not two. I have never been spoken to like this before anywhere in the world where I travel. I asked him to check the computer in his office and look at my agreement. He then after checking reduced the charge to 2 days. 423.00 GBP.

Then a colleague of his an East European girl told him aggressively NOT to do that as I was to pay for 3 days not two. I was 30 mins past but within the 2 hour extension. She then also was very rude to me so I asked to speak to her supervisor, In fact it was nothing to do with her as I had told her but she is unbelievably rude to me. I am 61 years old and do not tolerate anyone speaking in this way when I expect nothing but polite business like service.

I run my own business and have done for over 30 years and if my staff spoke to a customer like they did they would be fired immediately. I asked again for a supervisor. He eventually came but had not business cars. None of them would give me their names so they can be identified. I ask one thing that they have their employment with Europcar terminated immediately as I am sure that they do not want this bad publicity. I will be following this up until I'm satisfied that an apology has been issued and these people are seeking employment elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Prepaid my rental through Rentalcars.com. Picked up the car at Europcar and everything went smoothly despite them being quite pushy about buying their insurance even though I had insurance through RentalCars.com! I now see that I've been charged an extra £51 on my return of the car. We paid for everything up front and returned the car in good condition. I called their office and explained the reason for my call and then got 'disconnected'. Have called repeatedly then for the next 30 minutes and they aren't answering!!! Appalling customer service! Avoid this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Stansted Airport Europcar car park. Booked the car by internet, paid on the order. On arrival was offered an inferior car and was charged again for the second time. Deliberate fraudsters and crooks!!! Never again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

For a recent five week holiday in the UK we pre-booked a rental car from Europcar through Rentalcars.com. On arrival at Heathrow we were offered an upgrade vehicle for GBP96 extra which we were told would be offset by savings on diesel fuel. An agreement for the cost of the upgrade vehicle was signed and the pre-booking voucher was taken from us. On return to Australia we found the full cost of the upgrade vehicle as well as the pre-booked vehicle had been deducted from our credit card. Europcar refuse to refund any deductions claiming that we had signed a legally binding document. (In addition, Europcar charged for 36 days, not 32, but following our complaint the difference has since been credited by Rentalcars.com.)

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Prepaid my rental through Rentalcars.com. Picked up car and everything went smoothly until the car was returned. It turns out that hidden in the fine print were 30% worth of hidden fees and charges. These fees were never pointed out to me and were buried in the forms at car pick up. On top of that they even charged me more than I had unknowingly signed for. When I questioned that they lied and passed it off as extra taxes. All customer service could say is, "Read what you are signing." Avoid this company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Arrived at Europcar in Cancun, Mexico 9/1/17 to check out a rental car that was ALREADY PAID for through an Expedia package that included hotel & roundtrip airfares. After about 20 minutes, their rep (Victor **) confirms I needed to buy additional car insurance for $270.34 (US). I told him I had already purchased addl car insurance when I originally booked the entire trip. He said that was just to "HOLD" the car? So I asked if this "addl $270.34 car insurance" was MANDATORY and he said "NO" but that I would not be able to rent the car then. So I told him they were "FORCING" car insurance on me or I couldn't rent the car. He once again said "NO" they're not forcing it on me but I couldn't rent the car.

After about 45 minutes of screaming/yelling at him and watching another couple two counters down from me going through the same thing, I paid the $270.34. BUT this did not stop here. In addition to the $270.34, they also placed a $350 HOLD on my credit card - just in case the car was damaged? So I asked what was the $270.34 addl insurance for then, and he confirmed the deductible was $1000 and any damages under $1000, they would pull from the $350 hold. Off we went with the rental car (after CAREFULLY checking the car) since it was apparent they were THIEVES. We drove straight to our destination (Chiquila), parked the car for 5 days and went on the Ferry.

Five days later, we drive back to Cancun. As soon as we pull into their return rental car tarp, an employee comes over and IMMEDIATELY goes to the front passenger tire and makes notes. I asked him what was wrong with the tire and he didn't even look at me or say anything. Within 5 minutes, another rep from behind the counter (Fermin **) comes out and goes directly to the bottom front rubber bumper/grill on the passenger side that faces the street, rubs his fingers on the bottom of this piece and shows me his finger and tells me we hit the car and there was pieces of fiberglass on his finger. BUT HONESTLY there was NOTHING on his finger. I even grabbed his finger and felt on it and there was NOTHING!!! He was looking at me as if I was the biggest dumbass ever.

He went back in to the back office where we couldn't get in and about 10 minutes later, brings out my contract showing the 2 scratches (before I took the car) and the contract from the "PRIOR" party that rented the same car. He tells me to compare it and I would see that the plastic front bumper/grill that we damaged was not damaged when the prior rentals turned in the car. What I did notice was the 2 scratches my car had BEFORE it left their facility was NOT on the "Prior" contract either. This means, whoever checked this car didn't notice the 2 scratches much less notice the front rubber bumper/grill was also scratched when it was returned prior to me renting it. They would have to physically lay on the ground and face up to notice if this piece was scratched (not dented, damaged, just scratched). When I mentioned this to him, he snatched the "Prior" contract and would not let me see it again even though I asked for it several times.

I asked for a manager but OF COURSE he was not available. But yet he tells me the manager confirmed they would have to charge me $78 (from the $350 HOLD). Now understand, WE did not drive this car anywhere just to a parking lot that had no parking concrete stops - it was dirt parking lot. My boyfriend asked him if they replace the entire piece or fix it and he responds they will need to replace it. We asked for the year of the car and while arguing with this Monster behind the counter, we found the same bumper/grill BRAND NEW on the internet for $38 US. We showed it to this guy and he didn't have anything to say except they're replacing it. So we told him we would wait for someone to remove the bumper and take it home with us (which we really weren't but what the heck) and he then changes his story and said they're going to fix it instead.

This NIGHTMARE lasted over an hour giving us about 45 minutes to run to our gate for our trip back home before Hurricane Irma hit our hometown. This was definitely the WORSE experience I've ever had outside the US. And the fact you're not in the US and already heard crazy stories about Mexico and how easy you can get arrested, lose our flights, etc etc. So although there is a lot of crime in some parts of Mexico and the US warns travelers, I DID NOT GET ROBBED WITH A GUN BY A GANG MEMBER - I GOT ROBBED BY A PROFESSIONAL WITH A TIE BEHIND A COUNTER (not once but twice, with check out of car and check in) whose job is to help tourist and make their trip as pleasant as possible. Without tourist, they would not have a job. So if anyone ask me how was Holbox, Mexico I would have to say "the warmest, humble people at this island" but I would definitely warn them about Europcar.

It is obvious there's a racket at Europcar facility in Cancun, Mexico. The way both employees walked to the car to a specific part of the car that nobody could see unless you're laying on the asphalt facing up (as if you're about to do an oil change), it's obvious they're set up to know the specific car. SO A WARNING TO whoever travels and rents a car from them, should the rental car be WHITE, CHEVROLET SPARK CLASSIC, tag **, YOU will get screwed when you return it. With this experience, I would NEVER visit Mexico again and every chance I get to speak up and let anyone know about this experience, I am.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchased a one-week car rental from Europcar and paid a very reasonable $120 in advance via rentalcars.com. When we arrived at the counter at Glasgow airport, the customer service agent tried to upsell Sat-Nav (12 GBP per day) and additional insurance (15 GBP per day), both of which I declined - note that Visa covers any excess if used to pay for the rental, so no need to purchase additional insurance. Me declining resulted in new paperwork having to be signed, compounded by a continued passive-aggressive, almost threatening diatribe from the agent about the risk I was taking by not accepting the insurance (at a ridiculous 15GBP per day). Further, I was informed my card would be charged with 1000GBP security deposit (not 250GBP as I thought) because I didn't take their insurance. All this paperwork and negotiation took ages, almost an hour. What a waste of time!

After an uneventful week of driving (the car was fine) and after getting home, I find that Europcar charged my credit card with an additional $96 for "roadside assistance", VAT and other service fees, none of which I was informed I was being charged for. I'm letting that one ride because it isn't worth the effort to argue $96. It is clear that Europcar's modus operandi is to offer a low, upfront rental price and to rely on up-selling insurance and services to bolster their profits. I heard a couple next to me being hammered in the same way, so my experience certainly wasn't an anomaly.

In summary, stay away from Europcar, unless you have all your facts ready. If you choose them, make sure you pay by credit card and decline the extras/insurance - unless you are OK with doubling or tripling your initial cost. Also, if you book through a third party as I did, take the paperwork with the terms and conditions on it. I didn't. Finally, INSPECT THE CAR before you drive off the lot and ensure that even the smallest scratch, even on the wheels, is recorded, otherwise you will be billed for repairs.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I booked a Europcar rental car online from Melbourne to be collected on arrival at Heathrow airport in London. When I went to the Europcar office at Heathrow. I was told that the Vauxhall car that I had booked had been given to someone else by mistake. I was also told that I would be given an upgrade to a more expensive car (a BMW) at no extra cost. I was asked to sign a rental form in about 6 places. Being in a hurry I didn't read the words carefully. When I got my bill I found the I had been billed an extra 60 pounds per day as an upgrade fee plus a number of other charges which I had not been aware of. I had unwittingly agreed to this on the form. Europcar has quite nice little racket going. Don't go near them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Do not rent from these people, they are all scammers. My family rented an automatic car from the website and when we wanted to pick up they gave us a manual so we cancelled and was told that we were not charged. However, we are charged for 1000$ and they refuse to give refund and keep telling us that we need to contact other places. Now we are stuck emailing and phoning and after 2 months still no refund. Just stay away from them and all the trouble that they bring.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Reserved a car online for one day on August 29, 2017. When the process was complete, the notice showed the pickup time to be 10:00 a.m. - randomly assigned apparently as they did not ask when we needed it. I immediately canceled - within 60 seconds. They charged my card 235.00 Euros which came to $286.00. I wasn't too worried - I expected they'd credit it back right away. I called the bank last week as it was still on my account and they said Europcar had to fix it. I called them but customer service was closed and I was told to call them Monday (Sept 11th). I called them and they would not help by phone. Said I had to email them. I emailed them and got an auto-response saying they hoped to get back to me in about 7 days but it might be longer.

They've had almost $300 of my money for two weeks already. Another 7 days will be three WEEKS! That's ridiculous. I'm sick of businesses that do not give a flying you know what about their customers, the attitude "Well we have your money - what are YOU gonna do about it" when they know there isn't one thing you CAN do. It's time to fight back. Bad reviews lead to loss of business. They will never care about the customer. They only care about their bottom line. The only way anything will change is when they are forced to by significant loss of profits due to their harmful policies.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

We rented a car in Italy for two weeks. The rate was great, drop off and pickup awesome, no problems whatsoever while we were in Italy. Three months after our trip we received a notice from Europcar indicating that the vehicle we had rented had a traffic violation while in our possession. They informed us that our personal information had been sent to the authorities so they could deal with us directly. They also informed us that 45 euros would be charged to our credit card "according to provisions of article 11 from Europcar rental agreement". We have not heard from the authorities but the 45 euros was charged to our credit card. Exactly one month later, to the day, we received another identical notice about a traffic violation on a different day. This time I am going to call my credit card company and ask them to stop any future payment to Europcar. Has anyone else received any notices like this?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We rented a car for 7 days during a trip to Scotland. Upon returning the car, the lady claimed that it was dirty which it wasn't. We are four adults and there is no way that the car was that dirty. When we disputed the claim, the lady said we were welcome to go and get the car cleaned. We asked why we were not told that when we were renting the car in which case we would have gotten it cleaned rather than pay the extra charges. She was incredibly rude and uncooperative. She told us there would be extra charges to the effect of 25 pounds. We received our credit card statement and they had charged over $130.00 under a different reservation/reference number. Europcar is running a scam and we will be filing charges against them. Rent from them at your own risk.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I was recently at the Edinburgh Airport waiting till a friend of mine picked up his rental car from Europcar. As usual I spent my time observing. This time it was very interesting to see how aggressive the Europcar front line staff were in forcing the customer to pay for a further full insurance. I heard this come from varied sources. Booked online through travel agent, had already paid an insurance but supposed to be invalid. Booked online already, paid insurance and again supposed to be invalid. Our turn - my friend had booked online with Expedia and paid the insurance cover. I was alert after listening in. When he was told his insurance was not valid.

I confronted the staff and asked them if they had given Expedia permission to sell and if it was honoured. All I wanted was a yes or no. She was thrown back and called her supervisor "Wendy". Wendy was very clear in well understood English that Expedia was selling wrong and the insurance was not valid. We had no choice but to pay up again. It's actually a very ugly situation as passengers have just arrived after long or even short flights ready to move on and pushed into a situation of having to pay. The amount asked for is 15 pounds a day plus taxes. Who is swindling the customer here? Is it Expedia or Europcar. I'm aware that insurance companies offer commissions for sales. Personally I have used another company for the past four years and have never had to pay any additional insurance at any destination. Good luck!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I recently hired a car of Europcar for a weeks hire. When receiving the car no one checked over the car or anything. I just drove away. The car price was meant to be £114 for 7 days. I had it for 7 days then on the final day I rang up and rehired and paid again. I done so for another 3 weeks working out to 5 weeks on weekly hires rehiring each week.

When it come to give the car back there was a scratch found on the back of it. I was unaware of this and thought it would be ok as I was covered. That wasn't the case and a couple of days later I had £1168 taken from my bank account. I rang Europcar who began to say I had paid £650 for damages, 400 for a basic rental over 28 days. Recovery, mileage the lot. I said no one explained. There were all these charges on top or I would not of hired the car. On the contract it says £114. This disputes went on and I ended up getting money back from the bank for a visa dispute and some back of Europcar as they emailed saying there was no evidence against me making damages. So I thought that was that until the bank took 800 back out of my account and are taking another 600 and odd soon too saying I've been paid it twice, once by the bank and once by Europcar.

I spoke to all different people always ending with me being made out to be at fault. I'm now in debt to the bank and I'm in the middle of making a case against Europcar. They are the worse hire company on the planet. I have hired from lots of other places never have I had this kind of trouble. They're the most corrupt car hire company around and I don't know how they can get away with it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Hi, I was cheated by Mr ** at Heathrow while taking car as he gave me false information that I don't have full coverage. So he insisted me to buy full protection as he said that he has experience of 22 years and if I will not buy this insurance then I will be charged 1200 pounds even if a little scratch comes on car. Then I told him that I have purchased full protection from rentalcar.com but he said no I don't have. I felt I'm being cheated but still I trusted him and took the same but next day I enquired about same and came to know that I have full protection and not needed this. So next day I call Heathrow office and told the facts. Spoke to 1st girl and then some guy then again that girl for about 15 minutes. They got convinced and told me I will get my refund back or will not charge me for the same and also that manager will call back to take action against Mr **.

I also emailed the same next day but when I return my car I came to know I have been charged so I went to see the manager. 1st manager was about to finish the shift but he agreed and said that "I could have done it but now rental is closed, my colleague will do it then." Mr Russell ** came listen to my story and facts and also took photostat copy of my agreement and also told me to forward him the email which I wrote for refund earlier. Also he acknowledged that he received the email and said that I will get my refund back and Mr ** did wrong, as that time Mr ** was standing at counter I told him to call Mr ** but he said, "no need. You will get the refund back" and let some Debby come as she handles computer and she will just take 10 minutes max to refund back and I asked him that this time is around 6am and my flight is at 11.45 am.

So I have plenty of time and I can come back to assure that the refund is done but he told me to have trust on him. He will 100% do it and if there will be some more queries they will call me and also said that, "Mr ** if you don't receive any call from us before your flight then make it sure that the refund is processed and it will be in your bank account before you reach home" but unfortunately till this date I have not received any refund. So now I request to guide me, what should I do next to get my refund back? Otherwise car was good with no problems and returning was also comfortable and easy. Thanks all.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I booked a car through Europcar, Doncaster. When I turned up to get the car I was informed by Tracy that the printouts were not what they required. I asked Tracy if she'd go into her computer to retrieve the proper documents. Tracy refused. She then decided I would not be getting the car as I had pointed at her, I did, in fact, point at her computer. I've reported the incident to Europcar and an investigation is underway. I don't hold out much hope as Europcar reviews are appalling. E.g. Trustpilot have them as 5% POOR and 65% BAD. Don't touch Europcar. You have been warned!

Europcar Company Information