1.07/5

564 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We booked and paid a deposit for a 2 week holiday in July. When we waited at pick up point for over 3 hours, made several calls from our phone and phone at airport, a shuttle bus arrived to take us to the off airport car rental. When we arrived along with 10 other people we were told there were no vehicles available. We then had to get a taxi back to the airport and had to pay twice the price we had been quoted for a much smaller car with Thrifty. The service attendants were rude and after many emails, asking for a refund, still nothing. This was a con from the beginning, as they had no cars at all. Should be banned.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We used the internet to hire a car in Berlin and drove to Paris. Our contract specifically states the "Price includes... Premium Location Surcharge... One-way charges…" We checked upon collecting the car in Berlin that our price included these two charges. We have the contract on file. Three days after leaving the car in Paris we were charged another Euro2000 for one-way and Euro546 for premium location. For months we emailed Europcar and telephoned its customer service (who acknowledged the issue) but Europcar simply has never replied. We have tried several contact points inside Europcar, who listen but we have never got an explanation. Europcar's Customer Services UK which handles these issues will not receive/accept our emails. Like a wall around.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I rented a car from this company and upon returning the car I got charged 56£ for a quarter of a tank of petrol, which is more than the car itself as it cost me 40£ to rent the car. This just doesn't make sense and I was overcharged. I complained and was asked if I wanted to be contacted by the manager. I said yes and a week later still haven't heard from them yet. Please avoid. This company is disgusting and extort their customers. Stay away. Avoid. Use other company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Hired a car in Norway, during the time I did pick up a small (5cm x 2cm) scratch on the edge of the door. Was told that this would have to be paid for out of deposit. - Fair enough, but I was expecting maybe a £100, based on it just needing a small edge buffing and a small respray. On returning to UK been presented with a 14100NRK (£1400) repair bill for the a complete two door bodywork, undercoat, re-spray and lacquering - which is totally unnecessary and an extortionate amount. As this is more than excess they are doing me a 'favour' of keeping the full 95000NRK (£950 + deposit) excess. The local centre was adamant that the quote they got for cost repairs was from an honest third party. They are simply quoting extortionate repair costs in order to fraudulently retain any excesses. They are frauds and thieves. DO NOT USE THEM EVER.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

During my London tour with family I booked Europcar 2 week earlier under confirmation number **. On the day of collection they refused to provide the car without any early notification. My whole family suffered on the road to search other car. I have to provide medication to my 2 year old daughter due to this incidence. For all those who love their family, don't ever think about Europcar. I think this company should operation ASAP, as they may be reason of harm any family badly with this attitude. Better to choose some good rent a car company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Have been fined for using a bus lane while renting a Europcar vehicle. Penalty was 30GBP which I settled as soon as I received the notice. Europcar also charged me 40GBP for the admin charge: from 30GBP I ended up paying 70GBP! I appealed, followed the protocol, emailed their customer service, was promised a feedback within 7 days. 3 weeks later, still nothing! I called their customer service, had to wait 25 mins to get the call answer to hear that because I signed the rental agreement, I therefore accepted the charges coming with it. I mentioned my dissatisfaction, told them I would not go with Europcar anymore and would leave bad reviews. The operator did not care and did not do anything to help me. In summary: Europcar is using traffic violations to make extra money on TOP of its car rental business. Simply unacceptable to me. ‘Bad’bye Europcar.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I rented the car in Edinburgh Scotland and upon returning, the representative checked the car and there was no damages. 30 days later, I receive a claim for damages at an exorbitant price of 400+ pounds for scratches NOT found when the representative and I checked together. Disgusting and dishonest company. Customer services never replied no matter how many emails I sent. NEVER ever rent from this company! You're better off finding another.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I too am a victim of the Europcar damage scam. I rented a car in Bologna that had been booked and pre-paid in advance. I even signed up for their loyalty program and filled in all the information for a speedy pickup (supposed to be able to just pick up the keys and go without delay). It was a late flight and by the time I got through customs it was well after midnight. Fortunately the Europcar representative was waiting for me even though they officially close at midnight. Unfortunately I was charged a 30 EUR after hours fee. Not happy about it, but it does clearly state on their website there is a charge for after hours pickup/dropoff. So it is what it is. But none of my loyalty program speedy pickup stuff happened. It still took 15 minutes to do the paperwork for the rental and I had to provide all the information I had already provided.

I was told to sign multiple places on the rental agreement, including the pre-existing damage section which was pre-filled out as "No damage." I was told I had to sign to get the keys but if I found any damage to call or email them ASAP. I go out to the car which was a 10 minute walk away. It's located in a very dark parking garage. I look over the car and everything looks in order. 3 days later I returned it to Florence Airport and the agent pointed out a small scratch on the top of the fender (looks like a scuff not a scratch) and I would have to pay for the damages. I disagreed but he said there was nothing I could do.

I got an emailed bill the next day for nearly $400, charged in USD and including their insane currency conversion fee even though I initially paid in Euro. I'm going through the process of disputing it and have also submitted a claim through my credit card's rental insurance. Really interesting. I rented in Italy. The invoice shows "services provided to" Europcar in France. And I was invoiced from the UK. Seems like a bunch of jurisdictional tricks to avoid liability and allow them to continue to rip off customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Rented a vehicle from Glasgow airport, returned it at the appointed time, checked in with the attendant and signed off on their handheld machine. 4 days later start getting emails about the car not being returned and threats to call the police. 3 phone calls that I got the runaround and then miraculously it was found 5 days later and all was good. No apology, no explanation. Incompetence? Fraud? Who knows, they never provided any info. Never will use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented a vehicle through Rentalcars.com, which was delivered in Ireland by Europcar. The rental was paid in full for 7 days on a total of 450.00 US including the CDW insurance. Nevertheless, when I went to pick up the car, the clerk explained that the type of car requested was not available but he was able to offer a similar car, but diesel engine since he didn't have a gasoline. He started making numbers of the extras he will need to add, such as an extra charge for diesel, and extra charge for driving the car across the border to Great Britain and all was written in a small piece of paper with scratches and changes.

He told us we will need to leave a deposit of $2K euros for the car protection or pay a CDW insurance that was already paid for. He said the insurance I paid was not enough because it was only liability, so at the end he charged to my card an extra $650 dollars. The most expensive car I have ever rented. When I tried to clarify this with the Main office their response was... "CDW Exclusive Rates: Declining Europcar CDW and TW: To decline our Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Theft Waiver (THW), the driver must have a US issued World Mastercard or Canadian issued Gold/Platinum Visa/Mastercard AND PROVIDE WRITTEN PROOF that the card has relevant coverage for the Republic of Ireland. The letter must be dated within 21 days of the pickup date and contain the credit card number (partly masked is acceptable).

When both a relevant card and letter of proof are provided, for security reasons 5,000 Euro will be pre-authorised on your card in case there is damage to the rental vehicle. If there is a damage charge, this amount can be claimed back through your credit card company. This process is between the driver and the credit card company. We cannot be held responsible for any exchange rate charges. If a letter confirming CDW coverage is not provided on collection of the vehicle or if your card does not provide the relevant coverage or if you do not have 5,000 Euro available on your card, you will be required to purchase our CDW and Theft Waiver at the local daily rate (Eur 24-33)". Ridiculous!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I arranged for full cost of rental car from Europcar before leaving U.S. - and confirmed before trip that I wanted a 5-door Hatch, automatic - I did not want additional insurance as I was fully covered by my personal carrier. When I got to Scotland - Edinburgh Airport was told they would upgrade to GPS for 20 GBP per day when in fact they gave me a huge Mercedes and told me I could not drive their car without their insurance to the tune of an additional $576 GBP - to boot when I had a blowout they took over 5 hours to replace car without a GPS. My experience with Europcar is that between picking up the car and returning it - there is bait and switch on the vehicle, coercion on the insurance and finally no attempt to correct less than honest practices. At all times I insisted I did not want a large vehicle as roads planned were narrow - going through 3 rental cars - 2 were large Mercedes and Volvos... like driving a tank.... at a cost of over $100 a day.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

After renting a car from Europcar in Germany in May, we returned it to the carpark as instructed and handed in the keys. Everything was fine and nothing had happened to the car. THREE months later, we receive a notice in the mail that we were being charged for damage to the rear bumper and both tail lights had been broken. I will NEVER rent from this company again but if you do, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS insist that someone comes out and checks it over with you when you return it. I read other complaints but didn't realize how quickly this can happen!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

A few days after returning a rental car in Ibiza, Spain, I received a bogus claim for "damages", which I contested. Then came bogus photos of the so-called "damages" and a huge charge on my credit card, about 4 times more than the week's rental charge (which I had of course already paid). Europcar refused my claim for a refund. TOTALLY DISHONEST! Never again will I use Europcar anywhere in the world.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I just read other people experiences here and I happen the same. When I pick up the car already found a lot of scratches on top. The staff confirm those a small issue and normal, so we didn’t challenge them that. When we return the car, because of weekend; we just put the key into their key box and park the car into their car parking. After few day we got the invoice €200 for those scratches. I took the video when I pick up and return car conditions. I sent the email said disagreed the charge. I 100% those scratches not did by us! But no one reply my email and debited my account. I share my experience to other, take care all small issue when you pick up. Seems this company using this kind of thing to earn more money.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Hired an automatic car from this company in Basel Mulhouse Airport in June. The form recorded a crack on the windshield. When I got to the car the entire windscreen was cracked, including the area in front of the driver, there were minor scratches on the rear bumper but my main concern was the safety of the windshield. I took photos of the windshield and returned to the desk. I was told they have no other automatics and they were aware of the crack and that it was safe to drive. I had no option but to take the car. On returning the car 4 days later I told them that I was unhappy about driving the car with a cracked windshield and I had to keep my speed down but they were not interested.

2 months later I have received a bill for €365 for the minor scratches that I did not do, they even include their admin fees and loss of rental fee. This is fraud and I will fight it, but I will also raise the issue of how a hire car company can rent a car in a dangerous and (as I have since found out under European law) an illegal state. I still have the photos but many people will delete their hire car photos after they get home. Warning... Europcar can get you even after 8 weeks and put the burden of proof on you to prove the damage was not yours.

This is a fraudulent company that seems to be getting worse. I have contacted Trading Standards locally and they are interested in my case. I suggest that if you have a dispute with Europcar to do the same, as a case is building to stop this company and its shady practices. I strongly suggest not to use Europcar when there are other more reputable companies renting cars that are safe to drive and that won't sting you months later.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The problem was not with pick-up in Dinan, France -- that went fine, but when I dropped car at Rennes airport, there was no one to check the car. I dropped the keys at the desk inside the airport. When I later received an invoice, they said they had filled it up with an impossibly large amount of gas, charged me in Canadian dollars rather than Euros at a rip off exchange rate. The total charge had increased from 63 Euros to 162 Euros, and from $100 Canadian originally quoted to $254 Canadian. There is no one that has responded to my complaint. I am unhappy.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I rented a car with Europcar this past June. I was extremely hesitant to rent with this company as I had read many reviews regarding people who were charged for damages to a Europcar rental car that they did not do. I unfortunately found that this is a very sad and customary practice that Europcar does to foreigners. I waited over an hour, with 3 little kids, for a rental car at the Madrid airport. I had reserved a rental car for Terminal 4 but was notified that it was actually at Terminal 2 and that they needed to bring it to Terminal 4. When the car finally arrived I was completely shocked to find a vehicle that was covered with scratches and dents on all surfaces. I spent 10 minutes walking around and pointing out all of the scratches and dents to the representative. They ensured me that all important damage had been noted.

I am just regretting not taking pictures of the car before I drove away! I highly recommend that everyone takes pictures when renting a car abroad. I did not put a single other scratch on the car. I was very concerned about not damaging the car in any way since I had declined their insurance and was only using my credit card insurance. They had informed me that since I declined their insurance I would not have any assistance from them if there were damages. When the car was returned it was later at night and no one from the company was at the airport. The keys were left in a drop box. I received an email receipt a few days later showing the agreed rental price.

However, 3 weeks later I received another email stating that after further investigation I had damaged the front bumper and they were charging me an additional $405! Part of the charge was for failure to not produce a police report. It is apparent, based on all of the complaints, that this is an ongoing scam with this company. I highly advise people, despite the tempting good rental fees, to stay clear away from renting from Europcar.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Csr developed a fault on a Sat afternoon. The AA came to fix after an hour on the phone to Europcar the AA were told not to fix the car (it only needed spark plugs) and to recover me to the branch which was 100 miles away. The branch was not open until the following afternoon or wait until Monday and change the car at the local branch. Arrived at the local branch Monday morning. No car available until the afternoon. Called customer services. They told me there is nothing they can do other than raise a complaint that will be dealt with in 7 days. So two days without a useable car thank you so much Europcar for your ** customer support.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

When we picked up the car, it was park in the dark open space, and it was freezing cold in Melbourne Avalon airport. The car is really dirty and dusty exterior and got rubbish interior. No one was available to help in that parking lot. When we returned the car, I told the person in charge to make sure everything ok before I leave. That guy told me it is fine and I can leave. Then a month later, Europcar sent me a notice that there was damage during my rental period. And they sent me a bill of AUD250. Despite my explanation, they rejected it. It is a real fraud and a rip off to customer.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We went to Europe this summer and had a wonderful trip... minus our experience with Europcar in Glasgow. We had great service at the one in Manchester, England, but in Glasgow it took an hour and a half of our day set aside to tour, and then they would not accept the insurance we had previously purchased. We had rented the car through Rentalcars.com so Europcar didn't feel responsible. But we know they work with Rentalcar all the time, thus they know that this is a problem and haven't done anything about it. We're sure we're not the only victims. The insurance we bought did ZERO good and then they charged us over a hundred dollars more to insure with "their" insurance before we could rent the car. It was so poor. They did it with a smile, but were very unsympathetic and dishonest.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This review is in response to a rental done thru Rentalcars.com for a Europcar rental in Seville Spain. We rented them through Rentalcars.com for pickup at the Seville airport. The rental company was Europcar. When we presented the reservation information the counter they acknowledged the reservation was with them and processed the rental. We ended up needing the car for an extra day so I called the number for their reservations in Spain. We were told it would not be a problem and they would add the additional cost of one day to the bill and the amount stated was agreed to. We turned in the car at the end of our trip with no further communication with Europcar.

When we received the credit card statement it showed the original cost through Rentalcars.com of $1075.00 plus an additional cost from Europcar of $810.00. I immediately contacted Rentalcars.com and Europcar by email to get the situation resolved. I explained that we were being charged twice for a prepaid reservation through Rentalcars.com and again by Europcar. Europcar responded that the charges would stand and Rentalcars.com stated that we had made additional arrangements with Europcar and there was nothing they would do about it. The invoice from Europcar when emailed to me showed a 5 day rental charge along with the extra day agreed to. The credit card company refused to dispute the charges because both companies stated the charges were correct.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We rented for a month and specified the countries we would be traveling. Paid extra "insurance stickers" for Italy and Czech Republic but they neglected to tell us Austria required a special sticker. When we returned we received a letter to pay 120 Euros. Could not pay with credit cards only wire transfer so add another $35... A week later Europcar sent another letter letting me know they would charge my credit car another 25 euros for the paperwork. Do not use this car rental company they are awful. Customer service means nothing to them. I gave them one star because I could not give them less...

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Arrived Sunday T4 and only Europcar's desk manned. Requested a small car with GPS. Told that by renting a larger car with inbuilt GPS the price would be about the same. At pickup the operator loaded the first address. Once on the freeway we found the GPS would not work. Off to get a local SIM and used phone for the week. After complaining Europcar says we did not pay for GPS and so the inbuilt still needs a "chip" to activate it. Totally misrepresentation and complaints met with standard line you did not pay for GPS. Later to find when talking about this experience to our UK friends that Europcar are well known for this type of dodgy selling.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We rented from Europcar thinking it was cheaper. But they charged us 70 euro for franchise that they tried to force on us but claim that it's because the car was ultra dirty. Any excuse is good to overcharge. Do not rent from these crooks, they charge you fees for cleaning that their country has and calls it franchise. 70 Euro for some so called cleaning. After taking more than a month to find the reason... they steal and refuse to reimburse you. Better to go with real rent-a car like CarRentals. It's safer and better service and at least you won't get robbed by Europcar. They have a third party company receiving the cars and they charge whatever they want and Europcar send you the bill for an illegal fee of 70 euros. All because we are not from Europe they feel they can overcharge as we can't fight. They do not understand Canadians.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

For me it was a very bad experience with Europcar UK. It was a rainy day, not so unusual. First we have to wait half an hour to get the car, but nobody was coming with us to the car. We found a small scrap in the tire. We go back and told the guy. But he was telling us that it’s too small to draw it in. When we return the car, we had to pay for the tire, because the scrap is now so big that you can get a new tire from the customer. Thank you, Europcar, that is the way you make your business? To keep things short, I will never ever rent a car from them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Hired a car from Norwich airport and during this time someone opened their door onto the driver's side door of my rental. I accept this then becomes my problem as the car was gone when I came back and security footage couldn’t determine number plate. I was eventually harassed by Europcar for $850aud. A horrendous price for a 2 cm tiny mark on door, which could have been plundered out. They overcharged staring full panel bearing job along with respray, unbelievable. They threatened with more charges if I didn’t pay. As I am in Australia I felt pressured to pay, and then when I tried getting a receipt the employee had left the company - absolute rort.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When I rented a car out of their Dusseldorf airport, I signed my credit card for a charge of EUR360.30. I specifically asked if this was the total cost. And they said yes. When my credit card bill came, they charged me EUR500.37. They even charged me for gas tank even though I filled it to full before I returned the car. I have tried contacting them a few times and they stopped responding when I asked about the full tank. Customers beware!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Rented car in Ibiza for 10 days, when dropped back the staff member went directly to one car door and claimed damage. There was four of us returning car, not one of us could see any damage... argued for about 30 mins but they still deducted €600 from credit card. Never again, total scam of company.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We went to Italy for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and we had this drive of zipping around the Tuscan towns and hills in a little Fiat 500. As a result I looked online to find somewhere that would guarantee this model of vehicle. The only one I could find was Europcar. It was a lot more than we have ever paid for a hire car but, as it was our honeymoon, we wanted it to be right. To hire the car class I think was around £350 but it cost another £200 to guarantee that particular model, like a fool I paid it because as I've said, I wanted our honeymoon to be perfect!

We arrived to collect our car in Florence and were shattered having traveled from Rome and knowing we had another 2 hour drive to the hotel from here, I was also desperate for the loo. When we got to the shop I produced my printed confirmation which the advisor kept and took us to our car... A very old, very dirty, Fiat Panda. This was in no way what we had ordered and I was extremely disappointed. I raised the issue and all of a sudden the advisor no longer understood English (very convenient).

I tried for a while and got 3 distinct broken English excuses which were "your suitcases are too big for the 500", "this is an upgrade" and "you haven't guaranteed the model". I had a quick look round the tiny garage and confirmed they didn't have a Fiat 500 and as they refused to let me use their toilet I decided to just take the car and deal with it via customer services from the hotel. This is exactly what I did, as soon as we got to the hotel. I emailed with my complaint and suggested they either refund me the £200 extra or replace the car with the requested Fiat 500... I never got a response. When we returned the car to Pisa Airport we were asked to sign a form to say we had returned the car. This is now exactly 1 month ago and today I have finally woken to a response RE my complaint... So here goes:

"After looking into your case and speaking with the rental station they have confirmed that, the car was returned with damage and this is why you have been charged a higher amount for the rental. I have looked into this for you and can confirm the all rental agents are required to offer additional options to all customers when arriving at the rental station. It is then the customer’s decision to accept or decline the options offered. I have reviewed the paperwork provided by the rental station which has been signed to accept the charges applied.

Whilst I appreciate there may have been some form of misunderstanding at the rental station, I would be unable to comment further as I was not part of this rental process. When two parties are providing conflicting information I can only go by the information I have in front of me; which in this instance is a signed statement of return. Please be advised all customers can query any charges on the rental agreement before signing to accept. In light of the information above I can confirm no refund is due as all charges have been applied correctly. I can understand this is not the resolution you were seeking however I hope you can see our position on this."

I can confirm we absolutely did NOT cause any damage to the vehicle or sign anything to say so or to accept any charges. Also, the comment of "this is why you were charged the extra amount" is laughable... We were charged the extra amount prior to even being in Italy to guarantee a particular model of car, so they're telling me there they pre-emptively charged me for damage they knew I would definitely cause... Suspicious!

I have never been so shocked, disappointed and outraged by a company and cannot comprehend how they are permitted to continue operating with such legally questionable practices. Upon my return to the UK I have learned I am most definitely not alone in my exploits and so please, don't make the same mistake I did... Read the reviews and AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Was a little worried when I read so many negative reviews about Europcar. We had a very good experience with them. Staff were polite. No hard sell. Car was almost brand new! So no need to have worried. Going on my experience with Europcar I would definitely recommend them and use again. We actually hired the car as part of an Easyjet package. :)

Europcar Company Information