3.5/5 (598 ratings)

About Europcar

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

We booked a rental car (MG 3 5-door) in Australia through the Europcar app. During the booking process we made sure we would have maximum available coverage for the vehicle as we have been in a car accident in the past where we got hit by a semi truck by no fault of ours and therefore always make sure we get the maximum insurance coverage available. Once bitten twice shy.

When we got to the Europcar office in Southport, QLD Australia for the pickup, the lady at the desk asked us if we would like to upgrade our insurance coverage. We reply, we thought we had the maximum coverage available. She said no, there would be a PREMIUM version for an additional AUD $330. Strangely enough this option wasn’t offered to us when we booked. We felt like this company is luring people in with outstanding pricing but then is trying to recoup some of the money with add-ons. We agreed to the extra insurance package and paid the amount looking forward to a worry-free few weeks.

During our rental period a semi truck passed us causing a rock hitting the windshield. We mistakingly thought damage to the windshield was excluded from the insurance policy so we immediately brought the vehicle in for glass repair in order to prevent any damage from progressing. We brought the car in within an hour of the incident and the glass company assured us that this was repairable as the glass had not fractured past the top layers and it was just “a superficial puck”.

The day we returned the vehicle we told the lady in the office what happened and that we had the car in for glass repair. The lady said, “oh you didn’t need to do that as you have maximum coverage for your rental. You could literally have written the car off and did not have to pay anything.” She went on to say that she would see if we even could get reimbursed for the AUD $77 for the repair. It seemed strange to us that she still insisted we would sign a damage report although she assured us "this is just a formality and does not have any consequences because, again, you have maximum coverage.”

Now an astoundingly 6 weeks after we returned the car, Europcar sent us a bill for a glass repair, which, by the way, seems way to high for what the repair was. Europcar was pretty quick in sending us multiple emails asking us to leave a review, yet it took them 6 weeks to send us a repair bill? Oh right. As the repair bill states, the work has been executed 6 weeks after we returned the car which means this vehicle has most likely been rented out to other customers and they were driving it around just fine. Roadworthiness being affected by the chip not an issue.

We are shocked about the lack of training Europcar’s staff receives and the misinformation they provide to customers. (Our deductible wasn’t $0 like we were told turns out it was in fact $825). We were advised completely wrong. Be aware that, when you decide to opt for the PREMIUM insurance package, which cost in our case an additional $330 on top of the cost of Medium coverage for an MG 3, you still have to pay $825 to cover the repair of a rock chip. This is $1155 you spend to have a rock chip of about 2mm in diameter fixed. Something that can be considered fair wear and tear. The rock chip was not even in the driver's field of vision. As a matter of fact it was actually partially covered by a sticker Europcar applied to the windshield in the upper right corner.

Europcar Australia advertises on their own website a “Zero excess amount” for the PREMIUM coverage. Europcar also states on their website that windscreen together with tires and lights are covered. See pictures. In reality non of this is true. Now they tell us they will just go ahead and bill us to our CC. Nope not happening. Beware of this company and their practices. Their advertisement is misleading, their staff is giving customers false information and the way they deal with customers is highly disappointing to say the least.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Europcar overcharged us by EUR 267 for an 11 day hire in Ireland. This was despite having an agreed price arranged through Carflexi before we left Australia. Carflexi tried to suggest that we may have increased the insurance at the time of pickup, which was absolutely untrue, as we already had cover through our travel insurance. Europcar has offered nothing as to why we were overcharged. As at today's date we have tried persistently to get a response and a resolution, but we only get "we are looking into it". It has been 4 months now without them properly responding. It seems to me this is a scam they operate as it is too hard to get a refund when you are back home in Australia. From other reviews I can see this may not be an isolated experience. People should check all of the reviews before they take out a car rental with these people. It is already very expensive without this level of overcharging.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I paid for an SUV to be rented in Spain. I PREPAID for it, and mentioned that I would pick it up around 9am. I showed up late since I was on a tour just to find out that my car was given away (I actually didn't think this would be a problem since I PAID FOR THAT DAY). They said there is a 2 or 3 hour rule - in the contract (which I read and didn't find anything). I was given a compact car, with no refund. I was treated with a lot of disrespect as well. When I got home, I received a claim for a damage (and a fine for not claiming that damage). If I could attach a picture of this damage, nobody would ever rent from these guys again. The windshield on the very bottom has two tiny white dots the size of a speckle. They call it "cracked windshield". They are refusing to prove what was there before because IT IS ON ME TO PROVE it wasn't there before. These two dots can only be found if you specifically know where they are. What a mess!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

As many of the complaints on here Europcar forces you to purchase THEIR insurance at a price higher than the actual rental fee for the actual car. They do not inform you of the rate or the requirement until you are at the counter and have no choice to continue your trip. They charge your card that you must submit to get a car and you have no path to dispute or be considered for fair reimbursement. They are CRIMINALS and should not be allowed to rent cars to anyone under their practices. They screwed numerous vacationers during The Open Championship and ruined vacations and overcharged at will. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Intro: I have returned the car without any damage, and full tank. Problems: terrible maintenance of the car, that would have become dangerous if I did not remark what was going wrong. Very little support from their side. No commercial compensation for their bad maintenance, useless to say. Booster seat price is pure rips-off. I had bad experiences in the past with this company and decided not to rent a car from them anymore. I changed my mind recently, but the first attempt proved me wrong. Company not to be recommended.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Do not - under any circumstances - rent a car with Europcar at Gatwick. They are thieves from the beginning to the end of the experience. Completely agree with the other reviews about the upselling, the demands for more fees on CDW and insurance. I came in with a signed, completed contract for a car. They still charged me an additional 200 pounds. Then when I returned the car three days early they still charged me for the entire duration. The manager then lied to me about sending a refund. ("It will show up on credit card" - never did). The extent of the deception and scummy service was so much that I suspect there is some corporate directive to do these things. Thus - NEVER - rent with Europcar at Gatwick. Even if desperate, go book a taxi, it will cost you less in the end. Good, safe travels for all.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Rated 1 out of 5 stars. Illegal, dangerous tires that could have killed me but I had to pay to repair… The worst of a long line of appalling experiences using Europcar for courtesy cars, via Motability. On this occasion, 2 weeks into the courtesy car period, a flat tire. Our responsibility to fix it according to the contract. Take the car to KwikFit - and it’s not only the one flat, with a rusty nail rammed into it for weeks, but three of the tires are completely, illegally bald. Kwikfit say Europcar are notorious for getting customers to pay for repairs.

Fortunately, Motability had to pay for this (£300 +) this time, but thank you, Europcar for sending this disabled customer out into the world in an illegally dangerous vehicle. Kwikfit advised that if I’d attempted to drive any distance on the motorway, I’d probably be dead. Absolutely appalling. Date of experience: 24 October 2022, U.K.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Impossible to reach capable staff over the phone. It seems that the staff do home office work now. Staff are not trained or doesn't have the right tools. Lack of management clearly. Bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

We explicitly declined the premium protection insurance since we were using a credit card that is taking care of that. The agent threaten us with unreasonable repercussions and we still insisted. We received a contract and signed expecting our wishes to be honored. When we reviewed our credit card statement weeks later the charged amount was $ 600 over the price written on our voucher, which we understood as the actual contract amount to be paid. When examining the copy of the written contract we found a charge for the premium protection we explicitly declined. It looks the agent disregarded our wishes and charged us the amount without disclosure. After complaining to Europcar we were charged another $ 45 three weeks after returning the car without an explanation. Do not rent from this company, it's a criminal organization.

Resolution response: Nov. 25, 2022

Europcar finally returned the money a month later but only after I had contacted my bank and the credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Europcar Italy is a total scam operation. 4 months after returning the car in the same condition I had rented it, they hit my credit card with an additional charge of $730, claiming the windshield was broken, even though their pre-existing damage report showed that the windshield had several stone chips before I rented the car and the vehicle was thoroughly inspected by their agent upon return.

Europcar Company Information