Europcar

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We pre-booked a rental car with Europcar for both London with a drop off in Dover in 15 to 18 September 2016, and Calais with a drop off in Frankfurt from 19 September to 10 October 2016. Our London experience was fine, we were offered an upgrade which was clearly explained to us and accepted. Our overall experience with the company in England was satisfying.

With respect to the Europe experience that is a different story. We had pre-booked a vehicle meeting our requirements and had been given a guaranteed quote of Euro929. We had been utilizing a Pre-Loaded Travel Card, but for the purpose of deposit we had to provide a credit card with our name on it. We were happy to do this under the condition that the account would be settled using an alternative payment option as we had purchased Euro specifically to cover all our travel costs. While the customer service person on the front desk was pleasant, her English while better than our French was limited.

We were required to initial the contract which was in French, at that point we had not been offered an upgrade of any sort to what we had originally booked. We were not told that the GPS system as an addition to the contract nor was it pointed out to us that this was included in the contract. The vehicle was waiting for us and we were not offered an alternative, and the fact that it had GPS was not indicated even when the service attendant was showing us the functionality of the vehicle. Had this been indicated or discussed we could have declined the inclusion of the GPS and taken an alternative vehicle.

We returned the vehicle in Frankfurt and subsequently received the emailed invoice and we immediately queried why the amount differed from the guaranteed quote by Euro168. We were told it was due to the GPS. We explained that we had not requested the GPS and consequently disputed the extra amount. We offered to pay the agreed quoted amount of Euro929 with our multi-currency card until the dispute was resolved. In the interim our visa was charged for the entire amount and to add insult to injury a further NZ$43 in currency charge was incurred, additionally we are now stuck with excess Euro which we will lose a further NZD165 on to convert back to NZD.

A warning to others - be very careful when dealing with this company. They are not always transparent in the dealings. While the vehicle was satisfactory, the experience overall has now been severely tainted. We are currently looking at the legality of them deducting the full amount from our credit card when it was under dispute as even it legal is very poor business practice in our view given an amount was and is still under dispute.

Having paid upfront for car hire from Europcar Heathrow branch UK to getting there after a long flight only to be told the car that was paid for wasn't available so we had to take a different vehicle. On return one month later I find that I have been charged a second time nearly the same amount as the monies I had already paid. I was not informed this would be the case and reading some of the reviews on here I see that many people have had the same problem also with the same person. Customer service just don't seem to want to be of any help either or take any responsibility. I will certainly never recommend Europcar to anybody and certainly will never use myself again.

In April 2016 we rented a car from Europcar, Italy through the services of Rental Cars. The pickup was from Siena on 17/05 and drop-off was in Florence on 23/05. The rental was paid in full in April, and upon drop-off we paid for all incidentals. On 23/09 there was a charge on our credit card for 103 Euros from Europcar, Rome. This charge, made several months after rental is a complete mystery. Europcar has never contacted us about any additional charge, and the credit card debit is completely unauthorized. Internet research shows that other people worldwide have been victims of this apparent fraudulent scam by Europcar, Italy.

I feel compelled to follow through on my complaint forwarded to Europcar in connection with a recent car hire in the UK. Firstly their service in Cardiff to pick up the car was lacking to say the least in as much as they did not turn up at all. When contacted, they advised that the car was on its way which was a total lie! No one arrived and after 2 1/2 hrs of waiting at Cardiff railway station, I made my way to the nearest depot and demanded that a car be given to me at that point. Finally this was organized and I have to admit, the car itself was in the category booked and in a clean and tidy condition. I had the car for 11 days and returned it to Cardiff, as advised.

The after service is where I have the biggest issue. In the mail, 2 weeks after returning to New Zealand, I received 2 letters from Europcar, advising that I had received violation notices whilst in possession of this car. For your information, one of these notices was completely my fault (the other is being disputed), however, my complaint is not with these but with the charges that are made by Europcar and when these charges are actually forwarded.

Please see attached my letter to Europcar, of which a copy has been forwarded to the Chief Executive of BVRLA: "I would like to take this opportunity to express my displeasure at receiving recent administration invoices from your company in relation to traffic violations during my recent car hire in the UK. Firstly I would like to make it clear that one of these charges was, in fact, totally my fault, in as much as I was unaware of the charges required as a Dart Charge on the A282 Trunk Road. My grievance is in the way that Europcar has handled this charge, the incorrect notice and subsequent conversations.

"After expressing my displeasure on the phone yesterday, I called Dart Charge and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who explained the so called "Standby Notice" that you had referred to. Looking back at the invoices, I noticed that your office had received this on the 2nd November (as per a date stamp) and, in spite of having my email address whereby you could have made contact with me within 24 hours, you chose to hold on to the invoice for a further week and then POST it to me in New Zealand, together with a letter dated 10 November, therefore taking it out over the initial 14 day payment period.

"Furthermore, in my conversation with the Dart Charge office, they advised me that you have had NO contact with them at all and therefore, your letter of 10 November to me is actually untrue and you have NOT supplied my details to the issuing body. I have to make the assumption then that you will do this following the 14 day "challenge" period of your administration charges as per your letter. 'To comply with our legal obligations we have supplied your details to the issuing body as the primary driver at the time of the offence. In due course you may be sent a notice directly which will either be a request for payment or an application for your licence details if the notice has been issued by the police'.

"I have been advised by the Dart Charge office that this practice is common among certain Car Hire Firms, Europcar being one of these companies, therefore giving you the opportunity to charge an exorbitant administration fee. If settled immediately, the charge would have been GBP2.50. I am forwarding a copy of this complaint to the Chief Executive at the BVRLA as I believe this to be dishonest, shoddy practice. If as stated, the BVRLA are the trade body of the Vehicle Rental and Leasing sector, I would expect some action. This NEEDS to stop!! I look forward to your comments."

After reading reviews on this site, it appears this is happening on a more than regular basis and I said, it NEEDS TO STOP!! This is the first review I have ever written on any site and it is unfortunate it is such a negative one. Working in a customer service role in NZ means I am well aware of how important the public are to you. The UK needs to step up their service to tourists all round or it will be just another problem to add to their growing list of issues!!

Use Rentalcars.com and Europcar at your peril. I booked with Rentalcars.com on August 31st to rent a car for my upcoming UK trip. The confirmation quoted me the full price (Total Payable) $253.94 I picked up the car at Europcar at JLA and returned the car on September 30th had the attendant sign off for no damage and thought everything had gone well.

Two weeks back, when reviewing my VISA statement, there was a charge from Europcar for $95.98. I contacted Rentalcars.com and sent them all of the documentation, none of which mentioned hidden charges. They responded that Europcar were entitled to add a vehicle licensing fee of 1.38 pounds a day. After they added a high exchange and a 3% exchange handling fee, the justified the additional amount pointing me to some fine print in their T's & C's. Despite numerous calls and emails, they continue to deny my request to reverse the unauthorized charge to my credit card. It is truly sad that companies like Rentalcars.com and Europcar resort to unethical practices to squeeze their customers. Never again will I use either of these companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

I recently rented a Europcar through Orbitz in Cairns, Australia. When I tried to pay for the rental at the counter, they told me that "the numbers on my credit card were not raised high enough and therefore they could not accept it." I have used this same credit card all over Australia without any problems and in fact, when I discussed this with 2 other car rental companies at this same airport location, they just laughed and confirmed that they would indeed accept my credit card without any reservations. After securing another car with RedSpot (who were super friendly and helpful and immediately accepted my card) 2 hrs. later, I noticed a long line at the Europcar counter. This lead me to the believe that they were expecting other higher-paying customers and just used the credit card as an excuse. NEVER AGAIN EUROPCAR!!! You cost me 2 precious vacation hours and a big phone bill to Orbitz US and a whole lot of aggravation.

Booked a car with them for the weekend to pick up from San pancras Europcar desk in London-Prepaid the booking. I had to assume myself, as opposed to confirmation email That Penotoville road was meant to be Pentonville road and that the indicated building on Pentonville having disappeared, the rental desk would probably be in San Pancras itself.

Having solved the clue of the location of the desk, the worst is still on its way. I wait 1h15 min to be served. After 1h15 min wait, I am told can't have the car as they need to do DVLA check online and they close by 2pm on Saturday. They suggest NI number as alternative which I, of course, have no reason to have on me as unusual request and also not mentioned in their terms and conditions

So here is the outcome: did not have access to rental car, have not been reimbursed for the prepaid booking, I lost my pre-paid night in a hotel on the countryside, I logged a complaint on their website and no reaction. So not only I lost money (which is not my fault as terms and conditions of rental not accurate), they ruined my getaway weekend and on top they can't be bothered to act on customer complaints... It is what I describe as an horrific customer experience.

Hire car from Europcar Manchester airport; booked and paid 2 months before pick-up; at the collection desk was told I must pay £490 more for CDW and theft insurance (car rental was £320 PLUS the £490 PLUS £250 excess deposit taken from my debit card... remember this part IT'S important). I refused 5-6 times saying I DID NOT WANT the CDW or theft protection and I was prepared to have the excess for any damage put onto my UK Credit card. I am Uk resident Uk passport, UK driving license, BORN in the UK... but told I must have a Canadian or US credit card... or pay the £490!!! I have never lived in the US!!! My last holiday there was over 30 years ago? (But they could take £250 as deposit CDW excess on my UK card when I paid CDW!!!) Have never heard such bullcrap in my life. This company are a complete rip-off and if you book with them you deserve everything you get.

Also the desk staff are ignorant (especially the skinny ginger hair girl) pulling faces to one another thinking the customer can't see them... Duhh!! THERE A MIRROR BEHIND YOU IDIOTS... I saw everything you were doing. Never believe this branch won't rip you off because they will... in the blink of your tired jet-lagged eye. I liked the "I will ask the manager if she can help...." Walk into an empty room, wait for 2-3 mins, come out and say "Sorry can't help in this case???" WHAT A SURPRISE when the manager arrived for work 5 minutes later... DISGUSTING.

I received a bill be noticed to pay additional fees, however when I picked up the car not be noticed and explained the additional insurance and services by Europcar staff. I made the offer with Rentalcars. I only be asked to provide booking ref. and sign a letter. The letter is rental contract with a lot of service code and specialize words. I did not catch the what is the contract included. Because I already paid the rental fees to Rentalcars, I don't think they could personally add more fees without any notice. I am sure that is misleading sell. After received the bill I send email to customer service department to complain and then received a huge delay email be noticed that my responds. I am not satisfy with that result. I request them to refund the additional fees.

On 11/11/2016 I received a mail from Europcar be noticed I have a traffic fine. The penalty issued date is 20/10/2016, amount is 60. The penalty letter said if I paid in 14 days I could just pay half amount, however this letter be posted on 29/10/2016 be received on 11/11/2016. I am a overseas customer, when received it is already out of the discount period. They also send a bill to charge administration fee. I don't think they provided good administration. They could send a email first and then post the letter. Their service causes me loss 30. I don't wanna pay the extra cost. For the above complaints I already contacted Rentalcars. The reply is Europcar's refuse to refund.

Our experience seems to be a very familiar hot point. Getting to the pick up after 29 hours travelling - extremely tired and jetlagged. Then we get the upsales and rip offs. Additional costs for express recovery if something happens to the vehicle and additional windscreen and tyre cover and additional insurance cover for excess - added up over a month 29 days off the rental gets quite pricey.

Then the car size we wanted was not available. We ended up with a SMALL suv after booking an intermediate car with a boot. Contacted customer service to see if they could arrange another car as per the requirements and got absolutely nowhere. At the end we made do with the vehicle and made other arrangements when we were taking family out. Complained to the customer services manager when we returned it to Heathrow and he was just useless - gave us a contact email address to contact. So have been sending emails for the past 4 weeks to various Europcar customer service centres and they have not had the common courtesy to reply. So heading overseas again this weekend and guess what Europcar - you did not get our business and never will again and we were repeat customers. PEOPLE AVOID EUROPCAR!!!

If I could put 0 stars I would. This has been the WORST experience I've ever had with a company in my life! I have never left a review on anything before now, but I feel if I can keep 1 person from using this company then it will be worth it. I am going find every review site I can and make sure that as people as possible know not to EVER, EVER rent a car from this company again. Here's what happened:

The employee that did this was Ali on 13/08. We hired the car through rentalcars.com for $511.91. When we arrived I was offered the option to upgrade verbally, and I denied the option and told Ali that the original car we had reserved was fine, and I had no interest in upgrading. Then I expected the keys that were brought to me to be for the car I had asked for. He brought back two keys one to a Mercedes and one for an Audi. He treated the Mercedes as the car that was booked under my reservation and even told me that it was going to be cheaper than what I had paid in my reservation because of the VAT refund, and then offered the Audi at a higher price (which was the assumed last chance to upgrade). My understanding was that the Mercedes was the car that had been reserved and it was being sold that I was actually going to get a better deal now with the VAT refund, and the Audi would have been the upgrade.

Ali told me that the Mercedes would only be 390.00 after I received the VAT refund. This was my first time hearing of VAT refunds, so I asked what he meant, and he told me that when you purchase items with a tax on them, that tax would be refunded at the Tax Refund in the airport when I came back home. He, then, told me a story of how his girlfriend does it all the time when she comes to shop in England. So now it is looking like instead of paying the 511.91, I would only being owing 390.00. The total ended up being 538.20, and I assumed the difference didn't matter because I would be getting the refund, so I didn't question the difference. At no point in the conversation after I had refused the upgrade, had it been made known that I was upgrading from my original reservation, so I signed the paperwork believing I was signing for what I had originally agreed to in my reservation.

We would not have realized that the upgrade had taken place until when we were returning the car, my wife asked about the VAT refund. Employee Ashley (Ashleigh) told her that VAT isn't refunded on car hires. Then he asked to see our paperwork, and asked if we were aware that we had been upgraded. We said no, and he told us that this employee (Ali) does this all the time. That he makes it look as if you are getting your regular reservation, and lies about the VAT refund to make it look like you are getting a better deal on your reservation. He actually told me that Ali DOES THIS ALL THE TIME!! Then, he gave us the customer service manager's (Debbie **) card and said to call her and she would straighten it all out.

So, when I get back to the US, I call multiple times to no answer, and when I email I find out she is out of the office for the week for vacation. Her colleague Jo ** does get back to me and says she will investigate it, and will let me know in 7-10 days. I get an email on Sept. 7th stating that it has been investigated and because the paperwork had been signed there is nothing they can do. So I called and talked with Debbie, who didn't seem to know anything about the claim, even though, she insisted that it had been thoroughly been investigated. She told me there was nothing she could because I used the car for the rental, to which I replied "of course I drove the car." I thought I was using the car that I had booked so I no reason not to drive the car. She replied that she can't verify what verbally was said between us, so there's nothing she can do, and that I can take it up with the main customer service department.

So, I called them after spending 5 minutes on hold, and another 30 minutes explaining my situation, I'm told another 7-10 days wait while they investigated the issue. 10 days come and go, no response. So I call up customer service yet again (mind you I live in the US, so it's not cheap) to find out they had emailed me a response. Denied once again, for the same reason. Upon further questioning, I find out they had sent the email to the wrong email. And it wasn't an "oops we put in an extra letter mistake." The email they had was nowhere near what my email address was.

They said the claim was still open for review and investigation, so I asked to be called by the case worker to tell me their decision, which the customer service rep said they would do. Guess what, the phone number they had for me was completely wrong as well. And I still have yet to receive a phone call. I've just gotten the same email from a different customer service rep, not a case worker, that I've been denied yet again.

AND to top it all off. They charged me for an extra day, my rental was for 13 days, and I have been charged for 14, which was brought to their attention over a month ago, yet I have still have not received that refund. SO PLEASE, DO NOT RENT WITH THIS COMPANY. The employees will lie to you, and try to take advantage of you.

Beware of upgrade. I had a car booked for pickup at London Heathrow by the company I work for, for a business trip. On picking the car up, was advised I was getting an upgrade, I asked twice if this was an extra cost, and the Customer Service person said, no extra cost and don't worry about it. Company I work for is now being billed an extra 800 gbp for the car hire.

Rented a car at the Atocha Madrid, Spain Europcar. The power source did not work for our GPS so we had to switch cars. As we were moving our luggage from the first car to the new car--some of our luggage was stolen. I believe it was stolen by the employees at Europcar as there was no one else around and suddenly they did not speak English and did not understand my Spanish whereas the communication was fine prior to my distress. They helped 3 other customers in the lot before they would help me. They did not offer any help such as calling the police. Later when I filed the police report the Police Officer stated that Europcar should have called the police for me immediately.

I understand that mistakes get made. I don't understand when I have emailed multiple times and tried to call (I get left on hold forever... & on an international call this is very expensive). A family member in the UK has also tried to call on my behalf but he also gets left on hold. What is up with this company? How can they get away with this outright stealing of customer's hard earned money?

Avoid Europcar at London Heathrow - I've learned to my cost that their so called offered upgrade was in reality a really sketchy sales tactic for them to grab more money, when you check-out days later. Book elsewhere. Avoid.

Booking the car via Easyjet leads to the situation that you are treated like a second class customer at the airport pick up (there are two counters to approach the staff and one is totally empty and the other one is filled). I do not understand, why the same data is requested when booking the car and later on again when picking it up. The car itself was fine (Fiat Panda). When bringing it back for drop off, the agent could not find any damage at the car but then, he pointed to the lock at the driver's side, raised his eyebrow, looked at me and told me, that some tried to break into the car and the lock would have to be replaced. We never had to use the lock (we always pushed the button on the key) and the lock was rusty anyhow (this is a common problem with all cars when using close to the sea).

I checked with other Pandas at the rental station and they all had the same signs of "breaking the lock/rust" after the summer season. I felt like it was a trick to make more money. Had to sign a form which said that the cost would be 77.94 EUR. Today, I noticed on my credit card invoice, that Europcar charged me for 178 - CHF (the rental cost was 152.35 CHF for the car for 5 days). I have the impression, that this trick is used every single time when Fiat Pandas are returned (since the cost will be billed to the renting person but the locks will not be exchanged when renting the same car to a new renter right after the car has been cleaned).

It was the last time (after renting a car from Europcar in Ibiza at least 1-2 every year in the last 15 years) renting a car for Europcar. I am sorry for that but Europcar should stop this behaviour, since it leaves a very bad customer experience, especially when a customer takes good care to the car (which is not so easy in Ibiza). There have been several people having trouble at the time we have dropped off our rental car. AVOID!

Don't believe the blurb of "an answer within 4 hours." I have been waiting 2 days. The car we hired in Fiji on 10/09/16 was unroadworthy, steering wheel covering just slid around on the metal, one headlight was useless as the reflector was floating around inside the headlight, so we could not drive it at night, the seats were filthy, the hatch kept falling down, the windscreen had a large star crack in the line of sight of the passenger, the floor mats were torn, and both the reception people were about as interested in the problems as I would be watching grass grow. I asked the guy to check for damage and that the fuel was full when I returned the heap but he did not want to, just wanted $10.00 cash for tax.

Oh, I forgot to say, I have photos of most of this, I have emailed details and photos to Europcar, and after weeks of back and forth they have offered $50 refund, just doesn't cut it considering the car spoiled our whole holiday. Also, I forgot to mention the rear passenger door was extremely hard to open and the window in the same door needed someone to push it up as the electric motor was unable to do so.

I rented a car from Europcar Heathrow airport from September 5th to September 8th 2016. I used the Dartford tunnel which is a toll road. There is no toll gate and the sign says that you should pay online at their website. I forgot this and received a reminder from the toll company two weeks later. I was informed that if I paid the toll fee within 10 days there would be no penalty. I called and paid the toll fee. On October 17th I received a visa alert that 36 GBP had been charged to my account by Europcar. I called customer service to ask about this and was told that it was an "administration fee" because they had to give my contact information to the toll company. So, even though I paid the fee I was penalized by Europcar for giving out my address.

According to the customer service rep there is no recourse, that is their fee. I believe this is totally unethical and told them so. It looks like they will get away with the theft of 36 GBP. All I can do is vow never to use this company again and do my best to discourage all of my friends and business acquaintances to blackball them.

These people -- at Manchester Airport and rip off merchants and extort money. Avoid... Go elsewhere!! I was "served" my a Ms ** who lied, cheated me out of hundreds of pounds, was completely dishonest and I hate her. This company said they would 'speak" to her about her mis-selling and I hope they fired her fat **. But the company only agreed to partial refund and I am having to sue them for the rest. Don't give the opportunity to rip you off!

Avoid Europcar at all costs! What they did to me is purely disgusting and criminal! I rented a car with Keddy (Europcar) for 2 days from Car Rental Village, Stansted Airport. Since I had to catch a flight early in the morning I was forced to return the car half an hour before Europcar opened their return station. Before I put the keys into the night box, myself and another witness double checked the car for any damages that might have occurred during the rental period. There were none.

I assumed everything was in order because I didn’t hear from Europcar again. Two months later, however, I got a notification from my credit card company informing me that Europcar has booked 610 GBP off my account. I immediately contacted Europcar to query this and after a week their customer service replied, claiming they found a scratch on the right door of the car after I had returned it and sent me one photo of the scratch. Apparently they had tried to contact me via two letters but they sent it to an address that doesn’t exist. I even wrote my address down for the staff member when I came to pick up the car but he managed to copy the address wrong and even the country. I reside in South Africa but they send it to a non-existing German address.

The issue itself is the following though: After I had a closer look at the photo of the damage they had sent me, I could see that this cannot be the car that I had rented from them. I also had taken pictures of the car during the rental period and could compare their photo with a photo I had taken of the left door. Apart from the fact that their photo is very blurry and just shows a very small area of the car, I could see that the door handle is different and also the shape of the door. I contacted them again, this time including the photos I had taken of the car, which show that the door handle has a different shape (rectangular instead of oval) but even more striking the shape of the door is a different one (straight instead of curved). I pointed all of that out and also told them that their photo looks like it had been taken from a back door but I rented a 2-door car from them.

Their reply took another 13 days and they just told me the door handle looks different because it was taken from a different angle, and that they believe my photo is from the left door (which is true and which I told them, but doors look the same on both sides of the car – I assumed they would know that). No mention was made of the door which has a completely different shape, even taken from a different angle a straight door can’t look curved.

So I have been charged 610 GBP for a scratch that never existed and their photo of proof shows a different car. They deny everything and keep telling me it's the same car. It's such a rip off. It would have been way cheaper if I had just booked a taxi for those two days. Even if there was a 3 cm scratch (which they are making up) how can they charge 600GBP? Disgusting criminals.

Booked our car through WestJet. I wanted to pick up a car near Waterloo Station. I was told to pick up the car at 30 Bloomsbury Square. Arranged to pick the car up at 8 am and return it the same day at 8 pm. On my Rental Voucher I was told the total was $61.00. No. 30 Bloomsbury Square does not exist, spent an hour trying to find it, not even the local people knew where Europcar was. The highest number at Bloomsbury Square was 27. Finally found it in an underground parking, no signage outside whatsoever. No GPS as ordered, no maps either. Was told not to bring the car back to Bloomsbury Square as it had just opened up and did not have a drop box for the key as they shut early.

The Europcar worker wrote on the form he gave me the address of the closest Europcar location with a drop box for the keys. We got our car back to that requested drop off location well within our time. Would like to have been able to drop in back at Bloomsbury Square but were told we could not. They then had the audacity to charge us for not dropping in back at the same place we picked up the car. We also had many other ridiculous charges added on that were not on the original Voucher. They have ignored my phone calls, my email, even though they said they would get back to me within 7 working days. (That is a lie.) They should not have the right to take whatever they want out of your MasterCard and then ignore your right to dispute the costs. I will NEVER deal with Europcar again. I have told WestJet about the dishonesty of this company.

100 GBP are taken by Europcar with no reason for this transaction. This happened almost 2 months ago and they have not reply to any of my emails to customer service. The assistant in Spain (where I went for holidays) was very rude. He did not want to write down all the scratches. Just do not use it.

Our flight from Dubai to Manchester U.K. September 2016 was 2 hours late landing. Instead of 7.30 pm it was 9.35 pm, plus the luggage belt was jammed. We were packed in like sardines waiting for the luggage to start moving again. finally we got to Europcar to collect our hire car, a Toyota Auris or similar. The young man at the counter checked my paperwork and began to talk to me rather secretly bending his down and asking if I would the V.W. Golf T.DI. I said I dont care as long as I dont pay for the upgrade. Basically I just wanted a car so my wife and I could get to our hotel. He replied, "No charge for the upgrade, I just do not want the 3 young asian boys standing near me to have this car". It's the only Golf left. All I wanted to do was get to our hotel so signed without checking receipt. Tell me who does.

During our stay in the U.K. I phoned Europcar in Manchester to change our drop off point from Manchester to Birmingham, after a brief argument with the manager about the cost having being told earlier there would be no charge. We dropped the car at Birmingham after having it cleaned inside and out, I received my receipt, I returned to the airport looking at the paperwork checking to see no damage to the car. I then noticed I had been charged 200 pound plus VAT for the upgrade. I went to Europcar's desk in the airport and told what had happened showing them the receipt. The staff there were very good, they gave me a lot of information which I will not say what it was because this is still ongoing. After looking at previous Reviews I do not hold out much luck.

Forced me to take extra cover even the car was already covered in Europe till April 2017 and I have cover with the AA which was £45 cheaper than the cover they forced me to take. I explained all this to the sales person but he insisted that I cannot take the car without this cover. I believe that this is a case of misselling.

The cost of this cover was not named on the bill and was referred to as just "other surcharges". They charged me for damage for a very tiny chip on the windscreen even that their policy says that windscreen chips under 5mm is acceptable. I believe this was there when I received the car. It was dark when I received the car and the wind screen was dirty. This surely does not satisfy condition of sale. It is worth investigating, if Europcar record damage on their system against cars or they try to charge customers repeatedly for the same damage. They said that it's my responsibility to spot and report the damage. There are a lot of complains against Europcar which can be found in ** section and other website such as consumeraffairs.com. I believe their selling practice is worth investigating.

On September 10, I rented a car with Europcar Ireland for six days. When I picked up the car, they mentioned a bumper bottom scratched. The employee of Europcar only informed of that scratch, without reference to other one lighter, so I understood that it will not take account since according to the information they provided to me, customers will not be charged for any scratch/scuff that can be removed with a wipe.

I'm aware that I should have made sure that those damage to the car, which I haven't caused, were known for Europcar and they had record of them. But I didn't my fault. The reason for my complaint is that when I returned the car, which I haven't caused it any harm, they said me that there was a scratch and I must pay the amount of repair. What surprises me, or rather annoys me, is that they charge me a repair of €743.97 for a very lighter scratch that is barely visible. I reiterate that touch which I have not produced I- could be repaired with polish, product that has more than €30 value. Do you really think that repair this small scratch cost €743.97?

I expressly requested not to have extra insurance that the desk person tried to sell me. I didn't need it because my credit card company covered me for that type of insurance anyway. The desk person (Rachel) in the Belfast International Airport, ticked the (very small and hard to see) box and had me sign the agreement, without letting me know they were going to defy my own express wishes. They had also verbally confirmed my request to not have the extra insurance and weeks later I discovered Europcar had charged me for the insurance. Shady practices in my opinion. These guys just ripped me off.

Went to pick-up our pre-booked car at Rome Termini Europcar office. Waited one hour in queue for service. Only one person serving. All other car companies had several persons on duty, and thus no queue. No apologies for the wait, the attendant couldn't care less. Was sent 200 metres to a car park to pick-up the car. We were pointed to our car. It was not the model or size of car that I had booked. The person who served us never told us he was swapping us to a different and smaller car. We were told it was the only car available to us and we we're going back to the office to wait for another hour for service. The five of us had a lot of trouble fitting in with our luggage. All passengers traveled with cases on their laps - the car was fully loaded. The car was also a manual, we had booked an automatic - thank goodness I could drive a manual. Would never rent from Europcar again.

My experience seems to echo those of other people complaining about Europcar, but I wanted to get on record too and let people know that Europcar is a company best avoided if you are making travel plans that involve renting a car. I arrived two days ago in Edinburgh, Scotland after an overnight flight from Dubai. It was about 7:40am when I approached the Europcar counter to pick up a vehicle that I had booked through Travelocity.com. When I made the booking I chose to pay for CDW (accident insurance) at a rate of £8 per day. However, the Europcar agent at the counter told me that the company doesn't accept 3rd party-provided insurance coverage. As I needed a car, I agreed to re-do the contract using Europcar's insurance. It ended up being £29 per day and effectively increased the cost of my rental from £218 to £575 (and I would still be responsible for the first 1000 in damages if I had an accident).

When I got settled at my destination later in the day, I spent about 30 minutes on a Skype call with Travelocity, making sure I would get a refund from them for my cancelled reservation. I then went online and found several other rental car options, all of which were more reasonable than Europcar. I booked online with Hertz and decided to get up early the next morning, drive back to the Edinburgh airport and swap cars, making sure to get the Europcar rental turned in before I got charged for another second day's rental.

The next morning, I made the hour-long drive back to the Edinburgh airport and was back at the Europcar counter at 7:25am, after dropping off the Europcar rental and picking up my car from Hertz (which ended up costing £195 less, including insurance cover: they also gave me a much nice vehicle). The Europcar lot agent inspected my return and I signed a paper acknowledging the return and I was done with the rental at no later than 7:30am. I was back at my digs at 8:40am (the return trip took longer because I had to deal with Edinburgh's early-morning rush hour traffic and a wrong turn that cost me several minutes).

This morning I received an email from Europcar with my adjusted invoice. I could see that I was charged two days' rental rather than just one. They noted the return time of my vehicle as 8:45am, over an hour after the actual return. This of course pushed the rental time past 24 hours and into a second day. I immediately got on the phone to the UK Europcar office and after spending 10 minutes on hold, talked with an agent who took my information and logged a file that she said would be responded to within 5 days. She didn't say the overcharge would be credited; just that it would be reviewed. Fortunately, I have a timestamped receipt from Hertz showing that I picked up a car from them at 7:17am, at the exact same location as Europcar (the two offices share a building and their counters are 10 meter apart).

Regardless of the outcome of my overcharge refund, I will remain totally dissatisfied with Europcar and never consider them for my future rental car needs. Judging from the several hundred other complaints logged on this website by other people who feel ripped-off or mistreated by Europcar, I can tell that my case is not unusual.

The car I was given had a smaller boot than the car I'd booked, but I just about managed to get my 1 case and 2 small bags in by lifting out the parcel shelf. On returning the car they "discovered" a small scrape on the nearside alloy wheel approx 5cm X 0.9cm. To the best of my knowledge we hadn't hit anything that could have scraped the wheel but as it was so small, we could easily have overlooked it at pick up. We were charged €224 to repair it. A new wheel would cost less. I'm now left feeling ripped off.

I bought a voucher from a broker with super CDW and super TP, so I'll have zero CDW/TP excess. When I arrived to Barcelona airport, I was told by Europcar representative (I think his name was Lucas) that I'll have to pay excess (about 1000 euro including VAT) on every scratch, meaning I don't have zero excess since "I bought from a broker and not directly from Europcar" (as he said). He said that only if I buy the "full coverage" from Europcar, I'll have zero excess on all types of damages. He said that the "full coverage" of Europcar was adding "RSA-Assistance Plus" and "WWI: Glass & Types" for total of 204.55 euro for 15 days. Please note that I didn't want those additions, but he forced me to add them in order to receive zero excess in case of any damage!

When I returned the car, I spoke with several Europcar representatives (and the local supervisor), and they explained to me very clearly that I was already fully covered with zero excess with the original voucher, thus there was no need to extend ("RSA-Assistance Plus" and "WWI: Glass & Types"). Again, I want to make it very clear that I didn't want those additions. Europcar representative completely lied to me in order to force me to pay extra 204.55 euro for something I didn't want! When I sent a complaint mail to Europcar customer service, they didn't refund me of course, since I signed the contract. Be warned! Don't rent a car from Europcar!

Europcar Company Profile