1.04/5
Based on 96 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 26, 2018

499 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 26, 2018

I rented a car in Cambridge England. It's very easy as a person unfamiliar with the area to get a citation. I got one for parking. I paid it. Europcar wants $30 for giving the authorities my name and address. They are going to sue me over it!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I hired a car through Europcar in December, for a three day visit to the UK. Having hired Europcar before, in Spain, I trusted that they would be one of the best in the UK also. On the evening of my return, a front tire went flat. I reinflated it, but it soon deflated. It was raining, & I was on a dark street, so I called Europcar. They told me that there may be a charge for calling out the RAC, but I felt that I had no choice. When the RAC man arrived, he pointed out, a faulty valve, & said that he would put it in his report, so that I wouldn't get charged.

I had taken out damage insurance, but a month later, I received a letter from Europcar, charging me £116.33, for the event. It was taken from my Swiped credit card in February. I emailed Europcar customer services, & even spoke on the phone, to appeal this decision. Every time I emailed (4 Times) I got an automated reply saying they would get back to me in 7 working days. In 4 months, I had no replies. So, now in April, I managed to speak to customer services, & they tell me that they didn't charge me for the damaged tire, but for the RAC callout! My appeal was denied. So the car hire for three days cost me £46. Damage insurance, £25. RAC call out £116.33. This to me is an obvious scam, & I shall never use Europcar again.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Worst experience ever dealing with a rental company. I feel like I have been scammed and taken advantage of. My suggestion is if you are looking to rent go with Avis, Budget or some other company. Here is my story dealing with this company. I arrived in Shannon on 03/30 and my total fee to rent from 3/30 to 04/06 was for 486.13 Euro ($597.87 US). I declined the insurance which was around 450 Euro ($553 US) as I have insurance coverage on my MasterCard. I have done this many times before. Dropping the car off, the attendant found damage, which I stated was not mine. To my fault I should have inspected the car closer, but the location would have required me to bend over to see it. So I was charged an additional 2000 Euro ($2459 US) pending the damage. Total charged to me was 2417.16 Euro ($2672 US).

I received the new invoice yesterday, the new amount due is 967.85 Euro ($1190 US), the assessed damage was 550 Euro ($676 US). So basically they screwed me over for the cost of the insurance plus $100 US. Here is where it gets awesome. My card has been billed for the following, all in US dollars. 3/31 - $620.64.

4/7 - $2372.04. Pending amount of $6189.43. I am still waiting for the new invoice amount to hit me, god knows when that will be. So I called to speak to someone and I was told customer service was not available. At this rate I should just bought a car while I was over there.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Everything about this company is a scam. Charged upgrades that I wasn't told about. Charged for damage that didn't exist. Charged for extra days that I didn't have the car. Charged double and waited a week for a refund. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. I wish I hadn't heeded the warnings of others. Learn from my mistake.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Rented from Europcar in Oaxaca City and Huatulco airport both for 1 week period. Reserved and pre-paid in full through a third party booking agent (www.cartrawler.com). The contract suggested that I have my Credit Card insurance company email confirmation of my CDW coverage. My credit card insurance company provided this... No problem. Also as requested, I emailed the Mexican gov't agency in Mexico City that was to confirm that my Canadian credit card CDW was okay in Mexico. Two months later, they answered my email, that they would not respond to these requests.

A total Europcar scam to make me pay US$250 in CDW insurance on each week. I have used my credit card insurance in Mexico before without any problems. I have excellence coverage and Europcar would NOT allow me to decline their Mexican scammy insurance so that, I could at least use my Canadian insurance. Can you imagine, if you had an accident in Mexico, returned home and then had to deal with the Mexican insurance company from abroad??? I paid their insurance... had to continue with my holiday... No choice!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I will never rent through Europcar again. They do not tell you what you will be paying when you pick the car up. I booked online and read all of the small print. I was still charged $400 when picking up the car. Very frustrating.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Rented a car in France - they have been sending us fake bills for dates we weren't even in France and have now sent them to a collections agency - every week we get threatening letters in the mail, have tried over and over to contact them but are always told to forward documentation to an email address which then bounces - return to sender. Have tried three different email addresses and four different phone numbers which now come back as wrong numbers. There is no one to speak with and they continue to harass us with collections over a false bill. Fraudulent possibly a fake company.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I've hired from many other companies and never experienced this type of sneaky and dishonest service. Wish I'd read this site first. Picked up the car in Adelaide, Australia and was rushed through a process "just initial. It's all standard stuff... We'll get you on the road in two minutes..." with just a small screen iPad sized machine to sign on. Not possible to read what was being signed. After a long flight and with a long queue of people waiting behind me, I fell for it. Europcar subsequently deducted loads of ridiculous charges from my bank account, things that are their business costs like registration of the vehicles and cost of having an office at an airport??? The total price paid was more than triple the online quote which I accepted. Shocking business behaviours and I'll never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I should have read reviews prior to using this company. The initial upselling was almost to the point of harassment, so first impression was poor, out in the car lot a person with a Europcar pass on said he didn't work there when I asked him a question. Returning the car was actually ok if a bit confusing. 3 months later I get posted from the UK a letter (I live in Australia) saying I had 14 days to pay a CP fine for being in a service station too long. This was 15 days after the date of the letter AS I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA. Will never ever use these again.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

A nightmare from start to... it's not over yet. Avoid like the plague. Scam artists, thieves, liars: not a reputable company. Paid through a broker to get what I thought was a good deal (just over 210GBP). Picked up car after no sleep on an overnight flight and was told I'd have to pay 600GBP for insurance as I'd happened to make the booking in the US (even though I'm a UK citizen, on a UK driving license, using a UK credit card). Already I feel like I'm being mugged, and this pretty much ruins Christmas as I then have no money for presents. But I have no choice but to pay, literally; otherwise I've lost my money, and my phone doesn't work to be able to call people (specifically my elderly mother who is waiting for me at the train station); also my whole Christmas planning is predicated on being able to rent a car.

Go to pick up car - it's in dirty condition, nobody is around to help. And this is (as I'll later find out, because I didn't know yet, a 'prime location').There appears to be damage on the vehicle, but it's not clear as the vehicle is also dirty. This is the first time I ever rent a car, and I'm on my own. I go to find someone, he says, in effect, 'oh it'll be fine' and doesn't make a note. I drive off, then promptly get stuck in the streets in the middle of Edinburgh because no one showed me how to use the reverse gear on a Fiat 500 and this is the first time I've ever driven one (it's not intuitive - you have to lift and pull the gearstick! I had no idea and held up half the city. Quite stressful on no sleep.)

Fuel cap on the petrol tank didn't screw on properly and seal. Was this dangerous? I have no idea. Neither did they when I called to tell them and they said they'd 'make a note'. I bring the car back to be told there's new damage on the back bumper that I'll have to pay for. I dispute this- I think the damage was already there. And hey - I paid all that money for insurance, right?? Oh wait... of course it doesn't cover it. I get an invoice sent from nowhere, telling me I owe them for all sorts of ** which was never explained to me. Nothing to do with the damage - apparently Edinburgh airport is a 'prime location' so there's a fee for that (even though I received zero customer service and was never told this).

Get this: they charged an EXTRA DAY on my rental because I was 1 HOUR EARLY arriving at the desk to pick up the car. At no point was I warned about this, as I would obviously have waited another hour. I paid that invoice and now I really wish I hadn't. At this point it's starting to feel less like I'm being mugged and rather like something more serious is being done to me. The 250 GBP 'blocked' on my credit card never appears as a transaction, but it does exist enough to attract interest charges from my credit card company. I pay 250 on my card... and of course Europcar never return the 250 to me, as well as just merrily taking money off for damage that I don't agree I did. (And I have excess insurance, so I would say so if it was me.)

All in all, they try to take almost 1000GBP from me for a rental that was supposed to be 210GBP. "Customer services" insofar as they can be called this rather than "protect Europcar's income bouncers" barely respond to my emails, and on the phone are incorrigible. They made me cry, quite a lot. This has been a total nightmare and continues to be, as I dispute the charges. I've had a lot of sleepless nights over this, affecting my work and my health. And not only that, but if customer services had just made the concession and said, "OK, there have been some issues here, let's let X and Y go," I would have said, "Thanks, I'll hire with you again", and they would have had more business from me. Instead, I am writing to literally everyone I know telling them never to rent with Europcar, so for the sake of a few hundred quid they have lost thousands of pounds of business.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We received a Intrum Justitia letter late in 2017, stating that we owe a debt to EUROPCAR. It turns out they were trying to charge us for a broken tail light that had been broken when we collected the car (back in August 2016!!!). We had taken pictures at the time but as we received our deposit back after we returned the car we did not keep the photos of the broken tail light. We heard nothing from EUROPCAR until we received a debt collection notice. It took about 3 months to even get an invoice off EUROPCAR. They are absolute scam artists. Avoid them at all costs!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Rented a car for five weeks in Scotland. Waited forever at Glasgow airport Europcar station to complete the rental for an on-line booking. Could not begin to understand heavy accent of disheveled agent. Hit a hidden pothole that blew out a tire. Changed to temporary spare and contacted Europcar customer service which took hours in the phone at International rates. Was told where to take the car to change the tire. Took it to the assigned shop. They changed to tire. Inquired about other wheel on same side and was told it was fine. That tire lost air at a regular rate. Another hour plus on phone with Europcar customer service. They said take it to any garage. Took it to a nearby garage which showed me that the rim was bent and tire could not hold air.

Another hour plus on phone at International rates to be told to drive the car with temporary spare MUCH further than recommended to switch cars and adjust our whole trip to get to where they had a station. Went to Airport as instructed only to be told they didn’t have a car available and was sent into city shopping mall to get replacement car. That station argued that they did not have car either, but eventually gave in. Returned car to Edinburgh 5 days early. When we got home saw no credit for early return and got a demanding email for $290 of repairs. Still trying to sort early return against early return as they owe ME money. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

September 10 2017, Europcar rented us a vehicle in Dublin Ireland with an important tire safety system in inoperative condition. Given Europcar’s expertise in the car rental business Europcar should have seen that safety system fault indicator and not rented us that vehicle. That inoperative safety system ultimately endangered our lives when we had two flat tires and the system failed to alert us of the low tire pressures while we were driving. The inoperative safety system rented to us by Europcar resulted in a loss of control of the vehicle from which I barely managed to avert an accident by immediately pulling into the roadside entrance of a business that was closed for the day. Had the tire pressure monitoring system been operative, it would have given me much more time to exit the highway into a safer location such as a service station where the vehicle could have been serviced much more readily.

The second breach of contract by Europcar was that Europcar failed to provide roadside assistance they promised in writing. This second breach of contract resulted in our being stranded roadside as night fell. We had to find assistance on our own, which we did with the help of local good Samaritans. And Europcar specifically refused to provide a replacement vehicle until the next day, something that was not feasible given the location of the car blocking the business entrance as a direct result of the inoperative tire pressure monitoring system they rented us. So at our own expense, we replaced both tires and had to continue driving the vehicle for the rest of the trip very cautiously.

Finally, I sent Europcar a letter documenting these issues including a copy of the receipt for the tire replacement and Europcar never replied. So I discussed this with their staff at the Dublin airport when we returned the defective car to them and requested a partial refund (though our actual damages were MUCH greater than the refund amount we requested). Europcar failed to grant us that partial refund we requested. Even worse, Europcar has lied outright about the incident stating to our credit card company that our "claims are totally fictitious".

So Europcar is a company that:
- Knowingly rents vehicles with safety system they should have know were faulty
- Fails to deliver roadside assistance they promised in writing
- Fails to honor their rental agreements
- Fails to make things right

- Lies repeatedly

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Unserviced Car, Poor Service and Rude Staff. Never use Europcar in Ghana. They rented my partner and I a car they knew the insurance was due to expire 2 days into our 10 days use of one of their vehicle. Not until we were stopped by the Ghana Police who wanted to make capital out this unfortunate situation on a Sunday when EuropCar office was closed. I was threatened to be taken to court and for me to sue Europcar for my costs.

After reporting this to Europcar their reply to me is that it is not in their contract to ensure their rented cars MUST have VALID insurance. I cannot believe this will be a valid reason here in UK to drive without a valid car insurance. Really? A law for the 3rd world and a super-duper for the developed. I had nothing against Europcar until today (30/01/2018) following their nasty reply. I will never recommend this company here in UK or any other place if indeed they believe it is not in their contract to have valid insurance when they rent car to tourists.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I booked an intermediate size car and despite the normal badgering to upgrade to a "Merc" I refused and said I was happy with my choice but they gave me a compact and tried to charge me the same. By luck when I changed the destination of return the price did decrease but they couldn't explain why that happened. The car lot was FULL of vehicles including Intermediates so I have no idea why they tried to con me apart from making money! Complaint made to Europcar was responded to by a heap of lies that I had agreed to it! So Europcar - why am I complaining? You have lost my personal and company business.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My rental included full fuel tank, and I asked just the regular insurance offered by Rentalcars. They made me sign a contract and I did not realize that they included snow chains and road assistance without my permission. When I arrived the car was dirty, with low fuel tank. I asked for another car, but the staff told me just to bring it back with the same level of fuel. After my rental, they charge me extra fuel, fuel tax, road assistance and snow chains. I am from Brazil, I do not even know how to use snow chains. Even less I would ask one. And the snow chains were not in the car. They just abuse of the foreigners customers and try to trick them. I would never ever make car rentals with this company again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

The company change the car type to smaller car and charge additional money for no reason... They are using the conditions if you are travelling and no time for wasting your program and chasing your requirements.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Nobody knows what happened with the cash money!!! Europcar Rhodes took extra 207 € without any invoice or records!!! In October '17 we rented a car from airport office and we paid rental car amount+ babysit+ night fee by CASH and the deposit taken from credit card. After we delivered the car, they said "we did not get any cash" and did not release deposit.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My wife and I planned a trip through 2 countries; Italy and Switzerland. Before leaving for the trip we were told to be cautious for rental car companies, and also speeding infractions. Taking this warning I was very cautious when driving on our journey and always obeyed the speed limit. After returning the vehicle and travelling back home. Nearly a month later my credit card was charged roughly $60.00. I was NOT notified in any way what the charge was for beforehand. Europcar just charged my card. Keep in my mind I thought to myself "it's only $60.00. Oh well, I will pay it". I also filled the gas tank in full before returning the vehicle to this day not sure what the charge was for.

Fast forward 2 months later and I received another charge this time slightly over $200.00. Once again I was not notified, just charged the fee. Europcar has all my contact details and email. This time I disputed the transaction through my credit card company VISA, and emailed Europcar for the details of the charge. Europcar got back to me roughly a month later claiming the charges were for not 1 but 4 traffic violations, 4!!! Not aware at all of any infractions, they charged my card. I thought the law states "Innocent until proven guilty" not "guilty until proven innocent." Visa claims they cannot reverse the charges because of the contract I signed. These charges are a big money grab for all parties involved; the rental car company, the ministry of transportation in Italy and Visa.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Terrible service and scam employees!! I have booked a car for 8 hours only as needed to go from Stansted to Heathrow with big suitcase. I have back problem so trains were not the best option. I came to pick up and the clerk at the reception tells me I get free upgrade as a car of my choice is not available. So I've signed the papers only to find out that I am charged GBP 30 at the other end whilst returning car at Heathrow for upgrade! They deducted costs including additional charge and asked to write email to customer service which I did. All I got back - we refuse your application and cannot refund?! Total scam, absolutely unhelpful. Be aware any complimentary upgrades will cost you three times your hire cost. Will never use again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Bait and switch company effectively lies about their rates. When I return the car they said it's fine no damage then got a bill for damage to the car even though I had paid for the additional insurance to protect me. They screwed me anyway. The rates they charge or false since they don't include the insurance that they require and will not let you use any other insurance then there's very disreputable.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Went to Italy the middle part of July 2017. Rented from this company. I took pictures of the car before I even stepped foot inside to drive. There were a couple scratches and dings that I made the gentleman that helped us aware of before. Returning the car at the airport in Roma before flying home at 3:30 A.M. Again taking pictures of the car. Show nothing had happened while I had used it. Everything appeared to be great, until about 15 December of the same year. I had used my bank debit card to red vehicle.

Upon looking at my bank transactions due to the fact of it being Christmas. I noticed a charge for $490 to a Europcar rental!? Obviously not being in Italy I phoned my bank! I have read other reviews of them doing this within 3 months. I imagine with this being the Christmas season, whoever tried to run my bank card figured I would not be paying attention five months later! I definitely WOULD NOT recommend this company! They are thieves obviously.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I wish I would have read the reviews on this company before I rented from them. The rental went fine, but a month after the rental my credit card was billed for an additional charge. When I inquired online they did not have an invoice and when I tried to contact them through the website and via email I never received an answer. The only customer service numbers they have are long distance and any US phone number I found they tell me is for sales only. I will never use this company again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Europcar cannot be trusted. We rented a car from Heathrow in June. We were charged 600 pounds for an upgrade we did not want. Simply saying you are getting a ‘different’ car without mentioning cost is tantamount to fraud. We were pressured into buying expensive insurance which proved useless and/or dishonest when we had an accident. At the time we were told we were covered but over 5 months later were sent an extortionate and threatening bill without any clear justification for their decision. Europcar claimed there had been previous correspondence. This is simply a lie.

Europcar’s dishonest practice in overcharging for repairs has been extensively reported in The Telegraph amongst other papers and is being investigated by trading standards and, I believe, the serious fraud office. We have contacted Europcar’s customer service department with no response as yet. We simply have no faith in this company’s business practices or ethics. We would suggest anyone considering car hire should avoid Europcar, even if, on the surface, their prices seem attractive. You could end up paying considerably more than you ever expected.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Europcar charged us $800 for FAKE damages. We returned the car in perfect condition, only to find charges on our credit card for a bumper scuff. This company is beyond dishonest and unethical. I will NEVER use their business again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I was very unhappy with this rental. The initial contact made me take insurance when I knew I did not need it. When I returned and presented paperwork and tried to have issue corrected, the contact did not have a business card, would not give me their last name and essentially told me, "Too bad - if you had come a few hours earlier we could have done this for you." I had rented the car for 7 days + a few hours. When I sent extensive documentation to customer service, their response was that 'they were not there so they could not confirm my issues.' UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Do not rent a car with this company! Europcar likes "hidden fees," and their complete disregard for customer service, dissatisfaction, and retention is astonishing! We collected our rental car at London Gatwick airport and were later charged 30.62 pounds sterling for "Premium Station Surcharge," “Licenses and Fees," and VAT. While traveling in England, we neglected to pay a small Department of Transport toll equivalent to $3.51. A "team" of Europcar "Customer Service" representatives sent me the notice to pay the toll and charged a 40 pounds sterling "Administration Fee" for doing so.

The Department of Transport proved to be understanding and forgiving: "We recognize the new Dart Charge scheme and associated penalty charges may be unfamiliar to you. Therefore if you pay the outstanding USD 3.51 road user charge online or through our contact centre within 14 days of the date of service, the enclosed PCN will be cancelled." I paid the toll online, but Europcar refused to refund the Administration Fee, insisting that the toll charge was a "fine." The company then engaged three different "Customer Service" and "Fine" agents in four separate email transactions over several months to argue the merits of charging a customer an administration fee that is 15 times that of a nominal toll charge! Wow -- just wow!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I rented a car in Palma Mallorca in October of this year. When I went to the car I noticed it was very dirty and had numerous scratches. I documented these scratches and had one of their employees come back to the car with me so he too could document these scratches. There were no new scratches on the car when it was returned.

A month later I got a bill stating there were scratches on the car and it would cost 419,34 Euros. I replied with the pictures of the same scratches and told them I would not pay. They then requested the License Plate number which I sent them along with more pictures of the car and the employee's picture. Why is it that even after all this they said I scratched the car... What a scam. Please document EVERY scratch, employee, license plate # speedometer etc. when renting a car, especially here.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Do not rent car using Europcar. I rent car from Europcar Dundee UK on June 2017 and returned the car without damaging the car. Two weeks later, I was emailed by Europcar that there were additional damage on the car, and I liable for it. They argue that although I did not damage the car, I still liable to the additional damage that possibly happen in their parking lot at the weekend when I am using drop off service to return the car. The funny thing is they could not prove this additional damage. Fyi, Europcar is under investigation for this huge scam case. Definitely, I will fight in this dispute.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We rented a car with defective tire. The tire was total flat a short time after driving. We had to buy a new one. Calling the company, we were transferred 3 times and then you hung up before anyone answered the phone. We had over 20 USD phone charges for nothing and no help. We were told when returning the car you would pay for our time and money loss. While changing the defect tire. A car drove up and stole my wife's hand luggage containing all her shoes and jewelry, total value over USD 5,000.00. All information was added to your computer system when we returned the car. We were told that you would contact us. You never did!

Europcar Company Information