1.04/5
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Europcar

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 6, 2018

488 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Rented a car for five weeks in Scotland. Waited forever at Glasgow airport Europcar station to complete the rental for an on-line booking. Could not begin to understand heavy accent of disheveled agent. Hit a hidden pothole that blew out a tire. Changed to temporary spare and contacted Europcar customer service which took hours in the phone at International rates. Was told where to take the car to change the tire. Took it to the assigned shop. They changed to tire. Inquired about other wheel on same side and was told it was fine. That tire lost air at a regular rate. Another hour plus on phone with Europcar customer service. They said take it to any garage. Took it to a nearby garage which showed me that the rim was bent and tire could not hold air.

Another hour plus on phone at International rates to be told to drive the car with temporary spare MUCH further than recommended to switch cars and adjust our whole trip to get to where they had a station. Went to Airport as instructed only to be told they didn’t have a car available and was sent into city shopping mall to get replacement car. That station argued that they did not have car either, but eventually gave in. Returned car to Edinburgh 5 days early. When we got home saw no credit for early return and got a demanding email for $290 of repairs. Still trying to sort early return against early return as they owe ME money. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

September 10 2017, Europcar rented us a vehicle in Dublin Ireland with an important tire safety system in inoperative condition. Given Europcar’s expertise in the car rental business Europcar should have seen that safety system fault indicator and not rented us that vehicle. That inoperative safety system ultimately endangered our lives when we had two flat tires and the system failed to alert us of the low tire pressures while we were driving. The inoperative safety system rented to us by Europcar resulted in a loss of control of the vehicle from which I barely managed to avert an accident by immediately pulling into the roadside entrance of a business that was closed for the day. Had the tire pressure monitoring system been operative, it would have given me much more time to exit the highway into a safer location such as a service station where the vehicle could have been serviced much more readily.

The second breach of contract by Europcar was that Europcar failed to provide roadside assistance they promised in writing. This second breach of contract resulted in our being stranded roadside as night fell. We had to find assistance on our own, which we did with the help of local good Samaritans. And Europcar specifically refused to provide a replacement vehicle until the next day, something that was not feasible given the location of the car blocking the business entrance as a direct result of the inoperative tire pressure monitoring system they rented us. So at our own expense, we replaced both tires and had to continue driving the vehicle for the rest of the trip very cautiously.

Finally, I sent Europcar a letter documenting these issues including a copy of the receipt for the tire replacement and Europcar never replied. So I discussed this with their staff at the Dublin airport when we returned the defective car to them and requested a partial refund (though our actual damages were MUCH greater than the refund amount we requested). Europcar failed to grant us that partial refund we requested. Even worse, Europcar has lied outright about the incident stating to our credit card company that our "claims are totally fictitious".

So Europcar is a company that:
- Knowingly rents vehicles with safety system they should have know were faulty
- Fails to deliver roadside assistance they promised in writing
- Fails to honor their rental agreements
- Fails to make things right

- Lies repeatedly

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Unserviced Car, Poor Service and Rude Staff. Never use Europcar in Ghana. They rented my partner and I a car they knew the insurance was due to expire 2 days into our 10 days use of one of their vehicle. Not until we were stopped by the Ghana Police who wanted to make capital out this unfortunate situation on a Sunday when EuropCar office was closed. I was threatened to be taken to court and for me to sue Europcar for my costs.

After reporting this to Europcar their reply to me is that it is not in their contract to ensure their rented cars MUST have VALID insurance. I cannot believe this will be a valid reason here in UK to drive without a valid car insurance. Really? A law for the 3rd world and a super-duper for the developed. I had nothing against Europcar until today (30/01/2018) following their nasty reply. I will never recommend this company here in UK or any other place if indeed they believe it is not in their contract to have valid insurance when they rent car to tourists.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I booked an intermediate size car and despite the normal badgering to upgrade to a "Merc" I refused and said I was happy with my choice but they gave me a compact and tried to charge me the same. By luck when I changed the destination of return the price did decrease but they couldn't explain why that happened. The car lot was FULL of vehicles including Intermediates so I have no idea why they tried to con me apart from making money! Complaint made to Europcar was responded to by a heap of lies that I had agreed to it! So Europcar - why am I complaining? You have lost my personal and company business.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My rental included full fuel tank, and I asked just the regular insurance offered by Rentalcars. They made me sign a contract and I did not realize that they included snow chains and road assistance without my permission. When I arrived the car was dirty, with low fuel tank. I asked for another car, but the staff told me just to bring it back with the same level of fuel. After my rental, they charge me extra fuel, fuel tax, road assistance and snow chains. I am from Brazil, I do not even know how to use snow chains. Even less I would ask one. And the snow chains were not in the car. They just abuse of the foreigners customers and try to trick them. I would never ever make car rentals with this company again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

The company change the car type to smaller car and charge additional money for no reason... They are using the conditions if you are travelling and no time for wasting your program and chasing your requirements.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Nobody knows what happened with the cash money!!! Europcar Rhodes took extra 207 € without any invoice or records!!! In October '17 we rented a car from airport office and we paid rental car amount+ babysit+ night fee by CASH and the deposit taken from credit card. After we delivered the car, they said "we did not get any cash" and did not release deposit.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My wife and I planned a trip through 2 countries; Italy and Switzerland. Before leaving for the trip we were told to be cautious for rental car companies, and also speeding infractions. Taking this warning I was very cautious when driving on our journey and always obeyed the speed limit. After returning the vehicle and travelling back home. Nearly a month later my credit card was charged roughly $60.00. I was NOT notified in any way what the charge was for beforehand. Europcar just charged my card. Keep in my mind I thought to myself "it's only $60.00. Oh well, I will pay it". I also filled the gas tank in full before returning the vehicle to this day not sure what the charge was for.

Fast forward 2 months later and I received another charge this time slightly over $200.00. Once again I was not notified, just charged the fee. Europcar has all my contact details and email. This time I disputed the transaction through my credit card company VISA, and emailed Europcar for the details of the charge. Europcar got back to me roughly a month later claiming the charges were for not 1 but 4 traffic violations, 4!!! Not aware at all of any infractions, they charged my card. I thought the law states "Innocent until proven guilty" not "guilty until proven innocent." Visa claims they cannot reverse the charges because of the contract I signed. These charges are a big money grab for all parties involved; the rental car company, the ministry of transportation in Italy and Visa.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Terrible service and scam employees!! I have booked a car for 8 hours only as needed to go from Stansted to Heathrow with big suitcase. I have back problem so trains were not the best option. I came to pick up and the clerk at the reception tells me I get free upgrade as a car of my choice is not available. So I've signed the papers only to find out that I am charged GBP 30 at the other end whilst returning car at Heathrow for upgrade! They deducted costs including additional charge and asked to write email to customer service which I did. All I got back - we refuse your application and cannot refund?! Total scam, absolutely unhelpful. Be aware any complimentary upgrades will cost you three times your hire cost. Will never use again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Bait and switch company effectively lies about their rates. When I return the car they said it's fine no damage then got a bill for damage to the car even though I had paid for the additional insurance to protect me. They screwed me anyway. The rates they charge or false since they don't include the insurance that they require and will not let you use any other insurance then there's very disreputable.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Went to Italy the middle part of July 2017. Rented from this company. I took pictures of the car before I even stepped foot inside to drive. There were a couple scratches and dings that I made the gentleman that helped us aware of before. Returning the car at the airport in Roma before flying home at 3:30 A.M. Again taking pictures of the car. Show nothing had happened while I had used it. Everything appeared to be great, until about 15 December of the same year. I had used my bank debit card to red vehicle.

Upon looking at my bank transactions due to the fact of it being Christmas. I noticed a charge for $490 to a Europcar rental!? Obviously not being in Italy I phoned my bank! I have read other reviews of them doing this within 3 months. I imagine with this being the Christmas season, whoever tried to run my bank card figured I would not be paying attention five months later! I definitely WOULD NOT recommend this company! They are thieves obviously.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I wish I would have read the reviews on this company before I rented from them. The rental went fine, but a month after the rental my credit card was billed for an additional charge. When I inquired online they did not have an invoice and when I tried to contact them through the website and via email I never received an answer. The only customer service numbers they have are long distance and any US phone number I found they tell me is for sales only. I will never use this company again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Europcar cannot be trusted. We rented a car from Heathrow in June. We were charged 600 pounds for an upgrade we did not want. Simply saying you are getting a ‘different’ car without mentioning cost is tantamount to fraud. We were pressured into buying expensive insurance which proved useless and/or dishonest when we had an accident. At the time we were told we were covered but over 5 months later were sent an extortionate and threatening bill without any clear justification for their decision. Europcar claimed there had been previous correspondence. This is simply a lie.

Europcar’s dishonest practice in overcharging for repairs has been extensively reported in The Telegraph amongst other papers and is being investigated by trading standards and, I believe, the serious fraud office. We have contacted Europcar’s customer service department with no response as yet. We simply have no faith in this company’s business practices or ethics. We would suggest anyone considering car hire should avoid Europcar, even if, on the surface, their prices seem attractive. You could end up paying considerably more than you ever expected.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Europcar charged us $800 for FAKE damages. We returned the car in perfect condition, only to find charges on our credit card for a bumper scuff. This company is beyond dishonest and unethical. I will NEVER use their business again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I was very unhappy with this rental. The initial contact made me take insurance when I knew I did not need it. When I returned and presented paperwork and tried to have issue corrected, the contact did not have a business card, would not give me their last name and essentially told me, "Too bad - if you had come a few hours earlier we could have done this for you." I had rented the car for 7 days + a few hours. When I sent extensive documentation to customer service, their response was that 'they were not there so they could not confirm my issues.' UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Do not rent a car with this company! Europcar likes "hidden fees," and their complete disregard for customer service, dissatisfaction, and retention is astonishing! We collected our rental car at London Gatwick airport and were later charged 30.62 pounds sterling for "Premium Station Surcharge," “Licenses and Fees," and VAT. While traveling in England, we neglected to pay a small Department of Transport toll equivalent to $3.51. A "team" of Europcar "Customer Service" representatives sent me the notice to pay the toll and charged a 40 pounds sterling "Administration Fee" for doing so.

The Department of Transport proved to be understanding and forgiving: "We recognize the new Dart Charge scheme and associated penalty charges may be unfamiliar to you. Therefore if you pay the outstanding USD 3.51 road user charge online or through our contact centre within 14 days of the date of service, the enclosed PCN will be cancelled." I paid the toll online, but Europcar refused to refund the Administration Fee, insisting that the toll charge was a "fine." The company then engaged three different "Customer Service" and "Fine" agents in four separate email transactions over several months to argue the merits of charging a customer an administration fee that is 15 times that of a nominal toll charge! Wow -- just wow!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I rented a car in Palma Mallorca in October of this year. When I went to the car I noticed it was very dirty and had numerous scratches. I documented these scratches and had one of their employees come back to the car with me so he too could document these scratches. There were no new scratches on the car when it was returned.

A month later I got a bill stating there were scratches on the car and it would cost 419,34 Euros. I replied with the pictures of the same scratches and told them I would not pay. They then requested the License Plate number which I sent them along with more pictures of the car and the employee's picture. Why is it that even after all this they said I scratched the car... What a scam. Please document EVERY scratch, employee, license plate # speedometer etc. when renting a car, especially here.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Do not rent car using Europcar. I rent car from Europcar Dundee UK on June 2017 and returned the car without damaging the car. Two weeks later, I was emailed by Europcar that there were additional damage on the car, and I liable for it. They argue that although I did not damage the car, I still liable to the additional damage that possibly happen in their parking lot at the weekend when I am using drop off service to return the car. The funny thing is they could not prove this additional damage. Fyi, Europcar is under investigation for this huge scam case. Definitely, I will fight in this dispute.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We rented a car with defective tire. The tire was total flat a short time after driving. We had to buy a new one. Calling the company, we were transferred 3 times and then you hung up before anyone answered the phone. We had over 20 USD phone charges for nothing and no help. We were told when returning the car you would pay for our time and money loss. While changing the defect tire. A car drove up and stole my wife's hand luggage containing all her shoes and jewelry, total value over USD 5,000.00. All information was added to your computer system when we returned the car. We were told that you would contact us. You never did!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Car rent KLIA2 Kuala Lumpur: The car was in a bad state. Lots of damage. The navigation was useless, outdated and in the armrest of the back seat we found medicines. We got no refund for the navigation and no response on the complaint.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

When my husband and I rent cars in Europe, it is almost always with Europcar, which has some good qualities. They charge reasonable rates (in stark contrast to Hertz and Avis, for example), and have far more pick-up and drop-off points. The cars we have rented have always been in good condition. In addition, it is affordable to pick up in one location and drop it off in another, so long as it is in the same country. These are big advantages, for which I would give them 4 stars.

BUT, we've also had problems with customer service and information. On the trip to France we just returned from, we rented in Lyon Part Dieu rail station and returned in Bordeaux. We explicitly wanted and reserved a "compact" car, because we are experienced drivers in Europe, and understand how tiny the roads, parking garage spaces, etc. are. So we were quite put out when, instead of something "compact", they gave us a large diesel van. We explained that this is NOT what we reserved and requested an exchange for a much smaller vehicle. They said it wasn't possible to exchange it, and were unwilling to help us figure out, perhaps, another location on our route where we could exchange it.

So we were stuck with this vehicle we didn't want. It wasn't a disaster, but it was quite an annoyance, since it was unwieldy to maneuver in small city streets, 1-lane country roads, and parking garages where the spaces are all designed for smaller vehicles. And forget parallel parking! In addition, they assured us that the vehicle had GPS. It was technically true that it had GPS software, but there were no maps loaded onto it, and no instruction manual for either the car or its media system.

It can also be challenging to find Europcar offices, especially in smaller towns, such as Troyes (where we rented another car earlier in this trip). We had an address for the office, and it turned out to be located in a hotel about a block away from the rail station, but no one in the rail station knew where it was located, and there was no sign of any kind at the hotel that they were also the Europcar office. So we asked at the reception desk if we were in the right place, and were told yes. However, the hotel receptionist could only tell us where the car was parked, and was not able to answer any other questions about it.

As others have observed, their pick-up and drop-off hours are not always correct on the website, and in some locations this trip they charged an extra fee for some pick-up times you would imagine to be standard, such as Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. So I'm sure we will continue to rent from Europcar, but may call or email in advance to emphasize the size car we want and be clear we do NOT want outsized vehicle. The biggest problem, though, was the size of the car. I do wonder if they have this fantasy that American all like big cars, so they won't mind if they foist one off on them. We had a similar experience with the Big Vehicle problem a few years ago, but at that time successfully insisted on a smaller car.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I looked for a vehicle with this Europcar site, they give you a price per day renting one of their vehicle. My vacation was in Costa Rica, I am American-Costa Rican, Accordingly with Europcar you can cancel the reservation 2 days before and the money will be return to you if you cancel it. 2 weeks prior 09/20/17 I requested my family to contact them at their office in Mango Park, and ask about the insurance to see if all square into my budget. The person that responded said that all the prices were final and that initial price already had the insurance.

When I got there, there was none one at the airport when it was what I understood it will happen. When I got to Mango Park, this guy gave me the price which it was outrageous and I could not rent the car. I asked communicate with Europcar and he said that he did not have any way to communicate with them, that I will have to do that in the same way I got the reservation. Unfortunately I could not contact them.

Which made me wonder, what is this Europcar doing for real, they are taking your money for what. You are doing the job over that reservation by taking your time and selecting your vehicle yourself, none one have any idea of who is who, and there is less knowledge of how the taxes or insurance for driving down in Costa Rica are, not even the people that worked at the office. They tell you everything is ok, and when it does not work for you, because you did not close the deal you lose your investment of all the job you did in finding the "Best" deal, for them but not for you. Finally I came back home, contacted Europcar, and they did not give you back at least half of what you first paid.

Europcar is a website that only takes your money out of your work and work over the computer, they do not know anything, there is not communication or knowledge over taxes and insurances. They are intermediaries taking easy money for them. I speak both English and Spanish Costa Rican one. And I understand to perfection everything that I deal there, is hard to say that the Europcar office is filled with incompetent people that the less they know the better for this company that seems to be from England. So if you like transparency, this intermediary company does not know what it means. The response from chat was that I did not have a credit card, which I had only that the numbers on the card were flat, second the money was outrageous charges. (My Card from where took the money for my reservation was the same that I used when I was at Mango Park... Convenience right? )

Moral: Look for which are the rental car names in and from Costa Rica, go online and deal directly with them. I ended up using Dollar rental car, they took my card, and after being here in US 4 days later my arrival the charge took place. Go direct rent car from there. Not with intermediary which people don't know anything just for their convenience using your work and taking your money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We rented a car from Europcar online from rentalcars.com. I paid up front for car rental $441.38 to rentalcars.com using my card and received confirmation for pick up at EUROPCAR in Nice, France on August 26th. When car was picked up on August 26 we were charged another 600 Euros for deposit. Car broke down September 2nd, so repeated calls totalling 28 between my husband and myself were made to EUROPCAR emergency office but no answer. POLICE CAME AND CALLED TOW TRUCK AND CAR WAS TOWED. Tow truck driver also called EUROPCAR and was on hold for 1 hour with no answer either. So we proceeded to call taxi and go to Cannes and rent a room. Total cost for taxi and room was around $200.00. Next morning we got to Nice and EUROPCAR gave us another car.

When we returned car early (4:00AM) on due date we see that we were charged another $525.73 to our credit card plus we never got our 600 EUROS for deposit. We have contacted EUROPCAR several times with no satisfaction. To recap, EUROPCAR has failed to reimburse monies incurred as a result of contract vehicle breaking down, unforeseen overnight lodging charges, original 600 Euro deposit and additional $525.73 unauthorized charges.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I hired a car in October 2017. At the end of the rental, I filled up the petrol tank at the closest petrol station (3 miles away), returned the car at 6 am, and posted the car keys. The branch wasn't open yet, so there was no one there to check the car. I later received a "Fuel Charge" bill for £27.84, as though I hadn't returned the car full of petrol. This is PURE THEFT. I have emailed them, and their CEO, to complain but they do not reply. I included a copy of my petrol receipt, but of course, all I can show is that I put £26 of petrol in the car, 5 minutes before returning it... it doesn't prove that the tank was full. Never again... I do not trust this Europcar (Bristol Airport) branch, and neither should you. Has anyone else been ripped off by this branch?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I rented a car from Europcar during a recent trip to Reykjavik, Iceland. I rented it at the airport from a very unfriendly agent. Overall, the rental was fine. Unfortunately, after the rental, I misplaced my rental agreement and need it to submit for reimbursement. It has now been a month. I send emails weekly and only receive responses telling me they cannot help and I cannot respond to the address of origination. There is no phone number anywhere online where you can talk to a representative. I have submitted this request through their website section that says "receive a copy of your invoice" and they respond saying they cannot help me.

I was referred to another email address that didn't work, when I responded to say the address was bad, I was informed the original email address was unable to receive email. What kind of service is this? I have the rental agreement number. This is a very simple request and should never be this complicated. What in the world would happen if I had a big problem. There is no phone number for this company anywhere. I would never have rented from this company if I realized it was uncontactable. I was a walk up at the airport, so I was unaware of their reservation process. By the way, when you look up the phone number at the Reykjavik airport, it is for a phone that no one answers. This is super sketchy for international travelers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017 Booked through European destinations. Went to pick up the car, which was paid for, and tried to upsell me to a higher level car. Told them multiple times I was not interested. Very pushy. Eventually told him if no additional charges ok. Still pushed the upcharge. Finally agreed, so I thought, that I would get a free upgrade.

Should have known something was not right when he folded the contract with only the signature area exposed. Got home after the trip and was charged for an upgrade! Also charged for towing insurance which was never discussed. Do not use this company. Switch and bait con artists.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Rented a Audi A6 The Gatwick with a Heathrow Drop off. The staff at the LHR location are arrogant and rude. I will tell as many of my business associates that travel to London about my experience and NOT EVER to use EUROPCAR. I had an overlap clearly printed on my rental agreement with a 2 hour window. The guy came out to check the car. I said good afternoon. He totally ignored me. Then told me that the I would be charged for 3 days not two. I have never been spoken to like this before anywhere in the world where I travel. I asked him to check the computer in his office and look at my agreement. He then after checking reduced the charge to 2 days. 423.00 GBP.

Then a colleague of his an East European girl told him aggressively NOT to do that as I was to pay for 3 days not two. I was 30 mins past but within the 2 hour extension. She then also was very rude to me so I asked to speak to her supervisor, In fact it was nothing to do with her as I had told her but she is unbelievably rude to me. I am 61 years old and do not tolerate anyone speaking in this way when I expect nothing but polite business like service.

I run my own business and have done for over 30 years and if my staff spoke to a customer like they did they would be fired immediately. I asked again for a supervisor. He eventually came but had not business cars. None of them would give me their names so they can be identified. I ask one thing that they have their employment with Europcar terminated immediately as I am sure that they do not want this bad publicity. I will be following this up until I'm satisfied that an apology has been issued and these people are seeking employment elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Prepaid my rental through Rentalcars.com. Picked up the car at Europcar and everything went smoothly despite them being quite pushy about buying their insurance even though I had insurance through RentalCars.com! I now see that I've been charged an extra £51 on my return of the car. We paid for everything up front and returned the car in good condition. I called their office and explained the reason for my call and then got 'disconnected'. Have called repeatedly then for the next 30 minutes and they aren't answering!!! Appalling customer service! Avoid this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Stansted Airport Europcar car park. Booked the car by internet, paid on the order. On arrival was offered an inferior car and was charged again for the second time. Deliberate fraudsters and crooks!!! Never again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

For a recent five week holiday in the UK we pre-booked a rental car from Europcar through Rentalcars.com. On arrival at Heathrow we were offered an upgrade vehicle for GBP96 extra which we were told would be offset by savings on diesel fuel. An agreement for the cost of the upgrade vehicle was signed and the pre-booking voucher was taken from us. On return to Australia we found the full cost of the upgrade vehicle as well as the pre-booked vehicle had been deducted from our credit card. Europcar refuse to refund any deductions claiming that we had signed a legally binding document. (In addition, Europcar charged for 36 days, not 32, but following our complaint the difference has since been credited by Rentalcars.com.)

Europcar Company Information

www.europcar.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use