2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

1.8/5 (1139 ratings)

About Europcar

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

We made a reservation through Hotwire.com for an auto to be picked up in Guatemala City from this company. When we arrive under the rain, we were told that because the reservation was not done right, we could not refuse insurance and have to pay a daily fee of $20.00. However, the reserved car value was fully cover under our credit card we always use up to $75,000. The person who provided service was an scammer not professional at all. We had to take an Uber car and go back to our hotel to make another reservation with a reputable rental company. We found the same rate, a better car on Enterprise Car Rental. They did not refuse our reservation and provided great service for a lower price. DO NOT RENT WITH EUROPCAR. THESE ARE CHEATERS WHO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TOURIST!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I delivered my car back to EuropCar at Krakow Airport. The car was not damaged at all during our hire. I handed back the keys to the office in the airport which is 5 mins walk away from the car park. The EuropCar representative did not physically inspect the vehicle which surprised me but I thought nothing more of it....until 8 days later when I received an email with some very blurry photos attached claiming that I had scratched the vehicle in various places and claiming £800. I totally disputed the damage and was outraged that they claimed I had damaged the car without any opportunity to discuss at the point of drop off. Europcar is a fraudulent organisation looking to extract cash from customers who are forced to hand over their credit card details and authorise large payments in advance of the hire. They are nothing more than thieves. Outrageous. They should be shut down immediately.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I booked a reservation for a car for a 14 day trip to the Dominican Republic. Had a confirmation number. Once we arrived in Santiago Domingo and went to the Europcar counter to pick up our car. They could not find my reservation. The customer service agent informed me that we would have to wait until morning for them to sort it out. We needed to be in Bayahibe to pick up keys to our accommodations. Upon returning from our stay they had charged my card for the rental. I had to contact my credit card company to dispute the charges. This company is very poorly operated and no customer service. I will never use them for any rental needs and would definitely not recommend them to anyone

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

After an awful service, I received an invoice of £1,400 for some hypothetical scratches I never did. They don't even show you the car, nor the contract, but once you sign you are fully responsible and the company is shielded. Totally useless to complain to their customer service, as they are the ones who make you pay the unfair invoices to renew their old cars. Unfortunately, I've seen I'm not the only one, so better to to avoid this company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Rented a car at Dublin airport at a great price as my card company covers all accidents and damage (great travel card!) They refused to allow it. They tried to say it was very clear at the time of rental that I needed a letter from the card company. It was NEVER clear and they sent me multiple confirmation emails without that spelled out. They immediately went into a sales pitch of insurance options! This happened to another couple as well as I stood there! It is such a clear bait and switch as to likely be illegal. I called my card company and they emailed a letter which I then showed them. Beware else they will attempt to extort you too!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Arrived in CDG on 12 July 2021 with an already paid reservation of a car by Europcar. They first wanted to give me the lower class car instead of the reserved class. When I said I know that car is not the same class and not fit for highways, they said so we don't have anything and are sorry! Finally the guy offered me a car at one class higher but not for free as it should be (I had reserved for that day and that hour!) but for 20 euros par day extra for the 17 days. I didn't have any choice because I had already paid around $840 for the car they didn't have and I would have lost my money. In short, they rent cars that they don't have and force customers to pay heavy extra money for upgrades. Or downgrade their reservation for free!!! This is the 2nd time they did it to me! I WILL NEVER RENT from EUROPCAR in my life.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I have rented car from Europcar in Liberia, Costa Rica. They quoted me AWD SUV and quote was good. Once we arrived to Costa Rica it took an hour for Europcar to get us from airport to rental place. They were so disorganized that they had a lots of people waiting in airport as well as waiting to get a car in rental office.

Once we get a key for a car (another 45 min) we found that the car was broken (bottom engine cover was almost fall off). When I told the Steve (Europcar agent) he told me that it is OK and they are not going to replace the car. Then we realized that the car was not AWD, it was 2WD. We again explain agent that it is not a car that we wanted to rent and was quoted. However, Europcar refused to replace the car and provide the car that was rented. Agent explained me that AWD is 2WD is the same car. As we did not have any other option and did not want to waste our time with such incompetent people, we had to take a car that we were given.

Few day later the broken bottom car cover was touching the road and creating noise and potential danger for the other drivers on the road in case if the cover fall off the car. I have called the rental company and informed them that I cannot drive car in that condition and they have to replace the car. They promised to call me back in 15 min but nobody call me in hours and nobody was answering my call. I had to call from different phone and Europe car agent answered right away and of course that told me that they will call me in 15 min and tell me when they will replace the car and as before did not call me and they stop answering phone. Next day I sent emails to three different email addresses and left the messages for main Europcar office but nobody was answering.

After that I found 1-800 number that I call and lady on the other end assure me that Europcar Costa Rica will definitely call me and replace the car and they did replace the car by the end of the second day. I did not drive car for two days and Europcar agent promised to reimburse two day of rental. However, they have not done it. They were answering me that they are working on it and then told me they cannot reimburse it and offered me two free day rental next time. I have asked now to provide me a rental for two days free and now answer. I have rented from many companies cars in Costa Rica and always had great service but so bad service was provided only by Europcar.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Do not be tempted by the obvious low price (I book it in Expedia under Fox car rental) because I believe Europcar has a company wide system to bait and switch to rip you off. At the pickup airport at Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mex., I was charged 7.50 USD each day for declining the company offered insurance because I already purchased Expedia’s $11.00 USD per day. I was given a Chevy which has approximately 45000KM and the agent who checked me out took photo of the vehicle both inside and out and obviously there are many imperfection all over. After finishing all the documentation, A $ 7500 USD security deposit was required.

Now that three weeks since I returned the car, the 7500 charge still show up in my statement as pending which according the the bank, the car company can demand payment anytime and the bank will have to pay. By this time, I know I am dealing shady operators so I canceled my card and ask for a new one. The nightmare begins when I return the car and again over 20 photo were taken and they discovered a new small scratch on the front bumper which was determined to be a 100 USD damage. When I ask for detail of the charge so that I can claim with my Expedia coverage, they produced a long damage statement which total $739.38 USD. Unless I pay up or I’ll miss my flight. These people know that because I can claim insurance, It will be an easy decision for me to pay! I am still working to straighten out this mess. My advise for anyone who is rent car, just rent from someone else especially in Mexico.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Absolutely horrible experience. The person that was supposed to give us the car arrived 3 hours late and I had to change my travel plans because of the delay. I had to change my return destination because of this inconvenience and they charged me 300 dollars for the change. It’s an absolutely terrible company with zero customer service. I wouldn’t Recommend it to my worst enemy.

Original review: April 2, 2021

Reserved a car from EUROPCAR for 3 days in Loreto BCS Mex. At time of reservation I also purchased full coverage insurance from Allianz Insurance through the Volaris Airlines website. When I arrived to pick up car, they demanded that I purchase their full coverage insurance, they claimed that the insurance I had purchased was only for 3rd party coverage and they would not release the car even though I presented proof of the full coverage insurance I had purchased.

They wanted $221.00 Dollars for 3 days of insurance coverage, or, If I agreed to attend a 90 minute timeshare presentation, (that never lasts 90 minutes, usually 3-4 hrs) they would credit the insurance cost at time or vehicle return. I refused, and asked for credit to my purchase. They said I had to go to website and put in the refund request. Upon arriving home, I tried to request a refund from company and the website kept "Crashing". I have logged a complaint with my credit card Company and requested credit for the charges. Will see how this goes. BOTTOM LINE, DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR!!!

Europcar Company Information