1.05/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good rental car company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Europcar

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 29, 2017

457 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Prepaid my rental through Rentalcars.com. Picked up car and everything went smoothly until the car was returned. It turns out that hidden in the fine print were 30% worth of hidden fees and charges. These fees were never pointed out to me and were buried in the forms at car pick up. On top of that they even charged me more than I had unknowingly signed for. When I questioned that they lied and passed it off as extra taxes. All customer service could say is, "Read what you are signing." Avoid this company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Arrived at Europcar in Cancun, Mexico 9/1/17 to check out a rental car that was ALREADY PAID for through an Expedia package that included hotel & roundtrip airfares. After about 20 minutes, their rep (Victor **) confirms I needed to buy additional car insurance for $270.34 (US). I told him I had already purchased addl car insurance when I originally booked the entire trip. He said that was just to "HOLD" the car? So I asked if this "addl $270.34 car insurance" was MANDATORY and he said "NO" but that I would not be able to rent the car then. So I told him they were "FORCING" car insurance on me or I couldn't rent the car. He once again said "NO" they're not forcing it on me but I couldn't rent the car.

After about 45 minutes of screaming/yelling at him and watching another couple two counters down from me going through the same thing, I paid the $270.34. BUT this did not stop here. In addition to the $270.34, they also placed a $350 HOLD on my credit card - just in case the car was damaged? So I asked what was the $270.34 addl insurance for then, and he confirmed the deductible was $1000 and any damages under $1000, they would pull from the $350 hold. Off we went with the rental car (after CAREFULLY checking the car) since it was apparent they were THIEVES. We drove straight to our destination (Chiquila), parked the car for 5 days and went on the Ferry.

Five days later, we drive back to Cancun. As soon as we pull into their return rental car tarp, an employee comes over and IMMEDIATELY goes to the front passenger tire and makes notes. I asked him what was wrong with the tire and he didn't even look at me or say anything. Within 5 minutes, another rep from behind the counter (Fermin **) comes out and goes directly to the bottom front rubber bumper/grill on the passenger side that faces the street, rubs his fingers on the bottom of this piece and shows me his finger and tells me we hit the car and there was pieces of fiberglass on his finger. BUT HONESTLY there was NOTHING on his finger. I even grabbed his finger and felt on it and there was NOTHING!!! He was looking at me as if I was the biggest dumbass ever.

He went back in to the back office where we couldn't get in and about 10 minutes later, brings out my contract showing the 2 scratches (before I took the car) and the contract from the "PRIOR" party that rented the same car. He tells me to compare it and I would see that the plastic front bumper/grill that we damaged was not damaged when the prior rentals turned in the car. What I did notice was the 2 scratches my car had BEFORE it left their facility was NOT on the "Prior" contract either. This means, whoever checked this car didn't notice the 2 scratches much less notice the front rubber bumper/grill was also scratched when it was returned prior to me renting it. They would have to physically lay on the ground and face up to notice if this piece was scratched (not dented, damaged, just scratched). When I mentioned this to him, he snatched the "Prior" contract and would not let me see it again even though I asked for it several times.

I asked for a manager but OF COURSE he was not available. But yet he tells me the manager confirmed they would have to charge me $78 (from the $350 HOLD). Now understand, WE did not drive this car anywhere just to a parking lot that had no parking concrete stops - it was dirt parking lot. My boyfriend asked him if they replace the entire piece or fix it and he responds they will need to replace it. We asked for the year of the car and while arguing with this Monster behind the counter, we found the same bumper/grill BRAND NEW on the internet for $38 US. We showed it to this guy and he didn't have anything to say except they're replacing it. So we told him we would wait for someone to remove the bumper and take it home with us (which we really weren't but what the heck) and he then changes his story and said they're going to fix it instead.

This NIGHTMARE lasted over an hour giving us about 45 minutes to run to our gate for our trip back home before Hurricane Irma hit our hometown. This was definitely the WORSE experience I've ever had outside the US. And the fact you're not in the US and already heard crazy stories about Mexico and how easy you can get arrested, lose our flights, etc etc. So although there is a lot of crime in some parts of Mexico and the US warns travelers, I DID NOT GET ROBBED WITH A GUN BY A GANG MEMBER - I GOT ROBBED BY A PROFESSIONAL WITH A TIE BEHIND A COUNTER (not once but twice, with check out of car and check in) whose job is to help tourist and make their trip as pleasant as possible. Without tourist, they would not have a job. So if anyone ask me how was Holbox, Mexico I would have to say "the warmest, humble people at this island" but I would definitely warn them about Europcar.

It is obvious there's a racket at Europcar facility in Cancun, Mexico. The way both employees walked to the car to a specific part of the car that nobody could see unless you're laying on the asphalt facing up (as if you're about to do an oil change), it's obvious they're set up to know the specific car. SO A WARNING TO whoever travels and rents a car from them, should the rental car be WHITE, CHEVROLET SPARK CLASSIC, tag **, YOU will get screwed when you return it. With this experience, I would NEVER visit Mexico again and every chance I get to speak up and let anyone know about this experience, I am.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchased a one-week car rental from Europcar and paid a very reasonable $120 in advance via rentalcars.com. When we arrived at the counter at Glasgow airport, the customer service agent tried to upsell Sat-Nav (12 GBP per day) and additional insurance (15 GBP per day), both of which I declined - note that Visa covers any excess if used to pay for the rental, so no need to purchase additional insurance. Me declining resulted in new paperwork having to be signed, compounded by a continued passive-aggressive, almost threatening diatribe from the agent about the risk I was taking by not accepting the insurance (at a ridiculous 15GBP per day). Further, I was informed my card would be charged with 1000GBP security deposit (not 250GBP as I thought) because I didn't take their insurance. All this paperwork and negotiation took ages, almost an hour. What a waste of time!

After an uneventful week of driving (the car was fine) and after getting home, I find that Europcar charged my credit card with an additional $96 for "roadside assistance", VAT and other service fees, none of which I was informed I was being charged for. I'm letting that one ride because it isn't worth the effort to argue $96. It is clear that Europcar's modus operandi is to offer a low, upfront rental price and to rely on up-selling insurance and services to bolster their profits. I heard a couple next to me being hammered in the same way, so my experience certainly wasn't an anomaly.

In summary, stay away from Europcar, unless you have all your facts ready. If you choose them, make sure you pay by credit card and decline the extras/insurance - unless you are OK with doubling or tripling your initial cost. Also, if you book through a third party as I did, take the paperwork with the terms and conditions on it. I didn't. Finally, INSPECT THE CAR before you drive off the lot and ensure that even the smallest scratch, even on the wheels, is recorded, otherwise you will be billed for repairs.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I booked a Europcar rental car online from Melbourne to be collected on arrival at Heathrow airport in London. When I went to the Europcar office at Heathrow. I was told that the Vauxhall car that I had booked had been given to someone else by mistake. I was also told that I would be given an upgrade to a more expensive car (a BMW) at no extra cost. I was asked to sign a rental form in about 6 places. Being in a hurry I didn't read the words carefully. When I got my bill I found the I had been billed an extra 60 pounds per day as an upgrade fee plus a number of other charges which I had not been aware of. I had unwittingly agreed to this on the form. Europcar has quite nice little racket going. Don't go near them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Do not rent from these people, they are all scammers. My family rented an automatic car from the website and when we wanted to pick up they gave us a manual so we cancelled and was told that we were not charged. However, we are charged for 1000$ and they refuse to give refund and keep telling us that we need to contact other places. Now we are stuck emailing and phoning and after 2 months still no refund. Just stay away from them and all the trouble that they bring.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Reserved a car online for one day on August 29, 2017. When the process was complete, the notice showed the pickup time to be 10:00 a.m. - randomly assigned apparently as they did not ask when we needed it. I immediately canceled - within 60 seconds. They charged my card 235.00 Euros which came to $286.00. I wasn't too worried - I expected they'd credit it back right away. I called the bank last week as it was still on my account and they said Europcar had to fix it. I called them but customer service was closed and I was told to call them Monday (Sept 11th). I called them and they would not help by phone. Said I had to email them. I emailed them and got an auto-response saying they hoped to get back to me in about 7 days but it might be longer.

They've had almost $300 of my money for two weeks already. Another 7 days will be three WEEKS! That's ridiculous. I'm sick of businesses that do not give a flying you know what about their customers, the attitude "Well we have your money - what are YOU gonna do about it" when they know there isn't one thing you CAN do. It's time to fight back. Bad reviews lead to loss of business. They will never care about the customer. They only care about their bottom line. The only way anything will change is when they are forced to by significant loss of profits due to their harmful policies.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

We rented a car in Italy for two weeks. The rate was great, drop off and pickup awesome, no problems whatsoever while we were in Italy. Three months after our trip we received a notice from Europcar indicating that the vehicle we had rented had a traffic violation while in our possession. They informed us that our personal information had been sent to the authorities so they could deal with us directly. They also informed us that 45 euros would be charged to our credit card "according to provisions of article 11 from Europcar rental agreement". We have not heard from the authorities but the 45 euros was charged to our credit card. Exactly one month later, to the day, we received another identical notice about a traffic violation on a different day. This time I am going to call my credit card company and ask them to stop any future payment to Europcar. Has anyone else received any notices like this?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We rented a car for 7 days during a trip to Scotland. Upon returning the car, the lady claimed that it was dirty which it wasn't. We are four adults and there is no way that the car was that dirty. When we disputed the claim, the lady said we were welcome to go and get the car cleaned. We asked why we were not told that when we were renting the car in which case we would have gotten it cleaned rather than pay the extra charges. She was incredibly rude and uncooperative. She told us there would be extra charges to the effect of 25 pounds. We received our credit card statement and they had charged over $130.00 under a different reservation/reference number. Europcar is running a scam and we will be filing charges against them. Rent from them at your own risk.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I was recently at the Edinburgh Airport waiting till a friend of mine picked up his rental car from Europcar. As usual I spent my time observing. This time it was very interesting to see how aggressive the Europcar front line staff were in forcing the customer to pay for a further full insurance. I heard this come from varied sources. Booked online through travel agent, had already paid an insurance but supposed to be invalid. Booked online already, paid insurance and again supposed to be invalid. Our turn - my friend had booked online with Expedia and paid the insurance cover. I was alert after listening in. When he was told his insurance was not valid.

I confronted the staff and asked them if they had given Expedia permission to sell and if it was honoured. All I wanted was a yes or no. She was thrown back and called her supervisor "Wendy". Wendy was very clear in well understood English that Expedia was selling wrong and the insurance was not valid. We had no choice but to pay up again. It's actually a very ugly situation as passengers have just arrived after long or even short flights ready to move on and pushed into a situation of having to pay. The amount asked for is 15 pounds a day plus taxes. Who is swindling the customer here? Is it Expedia or Europcar. I'm aware that insurance companies offer commissions for sales. Personally I have used another company for the past four years and have never had to pay any additional insurance at any destination. Good luck!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I recently hired a car of Europcar for a weeks hire. When receiving the car no one checked over the car or anything. I just drove away. The car price was meant to be £114 for 7 days. I had it for 7 days then on the final day I rang up and rehired and paid again. I done so for another 3 weeks working out to 5 weeks on weekly hires rehiring each week.

When it come to give the car back there was a scratch found on the back of it. I was unaware of this and thought it would be ok as I was covered. That wasn't the case and a couple of days later I had £1168 taken from my bank account. I rang Europcar who began to say I had paid £650 for damages, 400 for a basic rental over 28 days. Recovery, mileage the lot. I said no one explained. There were all these charges on top or I would not of hired the car. On the contract it says £114. This disputes went on and I ended up getting money back from the bank for a visa dispute and some back of Europcar as they emailed saying there was no evidence against me making damages. So I thought that was that until the bank took 800 back out of my account and are taking another 600 and odd soon too saying I've been paid it twice, once by the bank and once by Europcar.

I spoke to all different people always ending with me being made out to be at fault. I'm now in debt to the bank and I'm in the middle of making a case against Europcar. They are the worse hire company on the planet. I have hired from lots of other places never have I had this kind of trouble. They're the most corrupt car hire company around and I don't know how they can get away with it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Hi, I was cheated by Mr ** at Heathrow while taking car as he gave me false information that I don't have full coverage. So he insisted me to buy full protection as he said that he has experience of 22 years and if I will not buy this insurance then I will be charged 1200 pounds even if a little scratch comes on car. Then I told him that I have purchased full protection from rentalcar.com but he said no I don't have. I felt I'm being cheated but still I trusted him and took the same but next day I enquired about same and came to know that I have full protection and not needed this. So next day I call Heathrow office and told the facts. Spoke to 1st girl and then some guy then again that girl for about 15 minutes. They got convinced and told me I will get my refund back or will not charge me for the same and also that manager will call back to take action against Mr **.

I also emailed the same next day but when I return my car I came to know I have been charged so I went to see the manager. 1st manager was about to finish the shift but he agreed and said that "I could have done it but now rental is closed, my colleague will do it then." Mr Russell ** came listen to my story and facts and also took photostat copy of my agreement and also told me to forward him the email which I wrote for refund earlier. Also he acknowledged that he received the email and said that I will get my refund back and Mr ** did wrong, as that time Mr ** was standing at counter I told him to call Mr ** but he said, "no need. You will get the refund back" and let some Debby come as she handles computer and she will just take 10 minutes max to refund back and I asked him that this time is around 6am and my flight is at 11.45 am.

So I have plenty of time and I can come back to assure that the refund is done but he told me to have trust on him. He will 100% do it and if there will be some more queries they will call me and also said that, "Mr ** if you don't receive any call from us before your flight then make it sure that the refund is processed and it will be in your bank account before you reach home" but unfortunately till this date I have not received any refund. So now I request to guide me, what should I do next to get my refund back? Otherwise car was good with no problems and returning was also comfortable and easy. Thanks all.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I booked a car through Europcar, Doncaster. When I turned up to get the car I was informed by Tracy that the printouts were not what they required. I asked Tracy if she'd go into her computer to retrieve the proper documents. Tracy refused. She then decided I would not be getting the car as I had pointed at her, I did, in fact, point at her computer. I've reported the incident to Europcar and an investigation is underway. I don't hold out much hope as Europcar reviews are appalling. E.g. Trustpilot have them as 5% POOR and 65% BAD. Don't touch Europcar. You have been warned!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

This is the worst company I have ever hired a car from. I hired the car in the UK from Expedia for Ibiza. Very poor check in but when we returned the car in Ibiza, they charged us 80Euros because it had sand in it. We had the car for 2 weeks with 2 small children. They said we needed to clean to car. They never mentioned this when we picked it up and I have never had to clean a car when I hired it. The UK customer service when I complained was the rudest I have ever spoken to. DO NOT HIRE A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE COWBOYS.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I rented a car at the Madrid airport (terminal 1) on August 3rd. I checked in on the arrival floor and went down to get my rental car. I gave my paperwork to the employee down there and she gave me the key to the car and told me where it was. The CAR WAS A DISASTER. The left rear bumper was smashed in and we couldn't open the back-trunk door. The front license plate was broken and scraped against the pavement when I started driving it. Then I drove it about 20 feet and the car made a clunking noise that brought the car to an immediate stop. Tried it again and the same thing happened. We couldn't drive it. (Not a car mechanic, but it felt like a transmission issue). We went to the Europcar workers there and they insisted that I was wrong and that the car was checked over and over and it was perfect. They refused to look at it until I raised my voice and insisted that the car was not safe to drive.

They FINALLY gave me another car (an upgrade), but did not admit it was a faulty car and shook their head like I was being difficult. I waited for an hour for one of their workers to inspect it, but they were busy talking to one another or doing anything but inspect our rental car. Finally, I went to the counter where I received the key and asked what I should do. She said it was alright to leave without being inspected so we left.

Four days later, we return the car to Madrid airport (Terminal 4) and they go over the car with a fine tooth comb and take photos, etc. To our shock, they send us up to the Europcar office and find out we are being charged for all the dents. UNBELIEVABLE!!! They said it was our fault and that I should wait for hours until one of their workers go around to inspect it. Even though one the employees told me it was okay to leave. This is a rinky-dink organization. I can't believe they are still in business. I would avoid renting a car from them at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I recently rented a car with Europcar Ireland and I am very displeased with my experience. I have been accused of damage I didn't cause but I accept this as I did not think to double check the damage highlighted to me. Having regretfully accepted the damage I have been grossly overcharged to repair the damage and I have been charged for the repair of other damage that was not highlighted to me. I feel completely betrayed by this company and it is my stern warning to all potential customers to not choose Europcar.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I rented a car from Europcar in Lisbon for 10 days. When we arrived to pick it up it was not ready and we had to wait 6 hours before it was! We lost an entire day of our vacation and did not receive any compensation. Then when I returned home, I received an additional charge on my credit card for $372 Euros with no explanation or information about what they were charging me for. And now, I have just received another bill for $97 Euros with no explanation or information. So, in the end this car ended up costing several hundred dollars more than the competition. I have tried to get answers from Europcar but every time I call they are unable to help. Do not rent from this company!

Original review: July 26, 2017

Hired a car in the UK which had some warning lights. Took ages and multiple calls to different numbers to actually speak with someone about it. We were told to wait where we were visiting for a breakdown service to arrive to check out the car. No one showed up even though we waited until 30 minutes after the allotted time. After that I spent hours on the phone trying to speak with someone who could help me. We finally got a breakdown service to come out to check the car, but I could not reach the branch office in Oxford I was told to deal with for a replacement via phone.

I called customer service and heard I would be charged 10p/minute to speak with customer service for something that is totally Europcar's fault. Ultimately got through to someone who just kept saying, "Sorry, but pls keep trying oxford and contact us once your rental has terminated to express your views and we will set up a case." LOUSY, TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE example of customer service. My takeaway - DO NOT USE EUROPCAR!

Original review: July 26, 2017

Booked the car for collection in Funchal airport through Easyjet only to find out I could've booked it direct with Europcar direct for £25 cheaper! NOT GOOD. On arrival at Funchal airport the first car I was given a SEAT Ibiza, looked like it had been a 'demolition' derby, and was filthy inside (video evidence available) which in turn delayed my holiday by over an hour. NOT GOOD. Second car a Fiat Punto 59-SQ-16; I was told would have 400 miles on the clock and brand new. When I received it, it had 8400 miles on the clock and far from brand new. Not only was it not fit for purpose it wouldn't go up most of the hills, it was a 'DEATH TRAP'. The BRAKES FAILED coming down a hill (DISGRACEFUL). NOT GOOD.

I called the breakdown recovery, they eventually arrived and tried to convince me that the brakes were okay asking me to drive it to the nearest europcar rental. I point blank refused. He eventually said okay he would drive it, the BRAKES FAILED AGAIN. When we got to the europcar depot his face was a picture (audio evidence available of brakes failing). (SHOCKING). NOT GOOD. Europcar and the breakdown recovery driver had a long conversation in Portuguese, where they wouldn't reveal what was said except to say that "we will look into it"! NOT GOOD. Obviously I was unable to refuel the car (1/4 tank) as it was undrivable, I offered to pay for it there and then but they said no. I would have to deal with it at the airport when I returned the latest car to the drop off point at Funchal Airport. NOT GOOD.

When we arrived at the drop off point at Funchal airport, the latest car was checked over and all fine, I enquired about the Fiat Punto, and was informed that all was fine. There also no further payment required. On my return to the UK I find I have now been charged on my credit card £53.66 for fuel and £90 for the recovery truck. A total of £143.66. NOT GOOD. I have contacted Customer Services on a daily with the stock answer being 'I am not able to help you any further sir'. I have asked to speak to a Manager/Supervisor only to be told there are none available at the moment and even if there were they couldn't help me anyway. NOT GOOD. I was expecting an apology for providing me with a death trap of a car, instead I have been charged £143.66 without an explanation!! NOT GOOD. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Picked up a car at Europcar in San Sebastian for a drive to Barcelona. The car was in an underground garage in San Sebastian, it was dark and not easy to see. The report stated one big bump on the right passenger door, nothing else. We looked around the car the best we could but did not find anything else that caught the eye. When returning the car in Barcelona they remarked on a scratch on the driver's door. I had not seen it myself if they had not shown me. Probably a parking damage, it did not happen during my watch and probably the S Sebastian office had seen this but not found it important. Mind you the car had run almost 4000 km when I picked it up.

The Europcar Barcelona airport guy asked me to pay 400 euro for the damage. Completely outrageous and I did what could to argue with them but they only referred to the fine print in the rental contract. The guy could not even say what I was paying, how he came up with the sum. I was there with family and had no time to argue but had to let it go. But never again Europcar.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I returned an Opal with a full tank of gas and even fueled up in the Shell Gas Station right next to the rental car garage at the Dusseldorf Airport and they billed me for 28 Euros. I complained and showed proof that I have refueled the tank with a full tank of gas sending them photos of the dashboard of the fuel tank and showed them the receipt. But they still kept sending me letters saying I owe them the 28 Euros. I went with them in the first place because they were the lowest price. Big mistake. The cheap becomes the expensive. Do not get tempted. Stick with Avis, Enterprise, and Hertz.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Prepaid thru Orbitz, arrived at the Europcar desk in Frankfurt and immediately the agent tried to upsell me on insurance. I remember him saying 'what about winter snow tires'... It was almost June. Knew there would be problems. Got back home and there's another charge on my credit card, bill came in the mail showing another rental. Amazing they can claim I rented two vehicles while in Germany. Capital One sided with them, "Screw the little guy" must be their new motto. Should have stuck with Hertz, never had an issue with that company. Don't ever rent from Europcar if you can help it.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have rented with Europcar before. Last year I rented at Heathrow Airport after flying in from the US. The only car available was a huge SUV. I told the man in the rental parking lot that I was alone and that I would be driving on small country roads and lanes in Devon and Cornwall. He was from Eastern Europe and didn't speak English! I had no choice but to take the car as it was late afternoon and I needed to get to my destination by nightfall. I tried to exchange it for a smaller car at two different Europcar locations en route, but without success.

This year, I rented from Europcar twice at Gatwick Airport. The first time the car was the right size for me, but I felt intimidated by a staff member who told me that my US credit card would not cover CDW charges. When I told her that I had been renting cars for years in different parts of the world and had had no problem with my credit card, that in fact I had checked with them before leaving on this trip and been assured that my credit card would cover CDW charges on car rentals, she continued arguing with me. She then tried to tell me that most card companies only covered one rental a year. I disagreed with her and eventually got my car. I was tired and unhappy that I had had to argue with her.

When I returned the car, even though it was prepaid through rentalcars.com with a statement on my receipt from rentalcars.com that there would be no extra taxes or other expenses charged, Europcar insisted on charging me quite a large amount for airport and other taxes etc. I again argued, spoke to the manager, but they were stubborn and unpleasant and my card was charged the extra expenses.

When I returned to Europcar, Gatwick, a week later to collect another rental also prepaid through rentalcars.com, I pretty much went through the same experience. Issues with my credit card which I negotiated firmly this time. And again an extra drop off charge for airport taxes etc. Additionally, I was again given a large SUV even though I had requested a smaller car because of driving on small country roads. I found the staff rigid, unfriendly, and in no way wanting to help with my request or distress at how I was being treated. As mentioned, the staff are all from somewhere else, mainly E. Europe. Maybe that is how they treat customers in their part of the world. I found the experience disappointing, stressful and intimidating.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I travel regularly to the ITER Fusion research establishment in Cadarache S. France where I am an external examiner. I am based there for the whole period and the total mileage covered is never more than around 200 miles which includes the pick up and return journey to the car rental company at Marseille airport. I hired a car for 4 days from Europcar at Marseille airport (11th July - 15th July) and returned the car - brimmed the tank at the airport fuel station. I kept the fuel receipt which matches up perfectly for around 200 miles use. Horrified now to receive an invoice, claiming that I have driven 1630 miles and demanding an extra charge of 273 Euros.

I am very concerned, because the outgoing document one received at the airport, details the outgoing mileage. However, the invoice document doesn't detail any return mileage and simply invents this figure of 1630 miles which is absolute nonsense. I have been trying to find a telephone conduit to get this "error" rectified, However, it appears to be impossible and all I have been able to do is fill in the online customer complaint form. From what I have read, the response from this avenue of complaint is poor and so I need to find another route to ensure that Europcar cannot remove this sum of money from my credit card. Needless to say, I will never use Europcar ever again.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had pre-booked a car to be picked up at Manchester Airport office. When I spoke with the agent, she insisted I had to pay for a further charge, for insurance of the vehicle. When I showed her my guaranteed price that had no mention of extra insurance required, she said I had to buy it, incurring almost a 50% increase to my budgeted cost. She then tried to upgrade the car, bamboozling me with figures before I said that all I wanted was the original car. I had no alternative but to pay the extra insurance charge as I needed the car for the holiday. I decided to deal with it later. I had noticed during my 40 minute wait to be served, that all the customers at the desks were arguing with the agents, I realise that they perhaps were being presented with extra charges too!

Upon returning the car 16 days later, to the Rochester depot, the office manager agreed that I should have been charged the guaranteed price, and immediately wrote an email to the Manchester Airport office and to Customer Service. I received an email a week later upon my return home, stating that because I had signed the insurance agreement, the charges will stand. I had to pay it under duress, as I couldn't take the car without paying the extra charge!!!

I have since received an email for customer feedback, to which I detailed this story, and of course, the NZ office can't supersede the UK office! Typical response! On the agreement I have, it no way states that there will be an insurance charge, only speeding fines and parking tickets which is fair enough. This is misrepresentation, and for the sake of customer relations I would expect this charge to be waived - the power of social media and word of mouth is very valuable. I would definitely discourage anyone to hire through this company that don't seem to care about customer service, without customers there is no business.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Rented a car from Europcar in Marburg, Germany for a week between July 3-1, 2017. The car was booked with Check24/TUI for Euro 199.64. My card was charged again by Europcar for Euro 128.77. I must say that I have hired cars from them before and everything has gone well till now. Europcar should return the money.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Absolutely the worst car rental company that there could be. Totally ruined our short trip to Europe. A 0 star review, if such was possible. Where to even begin?? We rented a Mercedes A-Class car on Monday July 10th from the Heathrow airport Europcar location, hoping to spend a few days in Europe visiting some friends. It came with no spare tire and no navigation system! Also, there was absolutely no indication that there is an extra fee (60 pounds) just to take the car to Europe, nor did the attendant who booked our car mention anything regarding this. On our journey to Amsterdam, we unfortunately managed to get a flat tire. After calling the emergency accident contact number indicated on the front window, we were directed to services in the UK who told us to contact the Europcar service in the Netherlands.

We waited 3 hours for a person from Bergnet to come pick up the car, who told us that the car would be ready by 9 am, and this was very important because we had to be back by 6 pm to Heathrow. However, upon arriving at the address where the car was supposed to be ready, it was not there. The mechanics did not know where it was. The Mercedes dealership nearby had no idea where it was. The Europcar location nearby had no idea where the car was either. Again, we tried calling the emergency contact number and literally any associate at Europcar UK and the Netherlands that could help us. All they did was bounce us back and forth between different departments, with no definite answers or solutions being provided as to where the car was or what we should or can do. After waiting another 3 hours, we were told that the car would only be ready at 2 pm.

This was totally outrageous because we were specifically told that it would be ready earlier! Of course, being at Heathrow by 6 pm was out of the question, forcing some of us to pay to take flights home! Not only that, but I personally had to pay for the tire replacement (115 Euro), even though my agreement with Europcar specified that Medium protection was paid for and included. After finally picking up the car and returning to Heathrow, we were notified that we would not be getting a refund for the repairs that should have been covered by Europcar. They also conveniently added the Europe travel cost, and refused to even hear me out concerning the fact that our plans were ruined because none of the operatives at any of the departments at both Europcar UK and Netherlands could help us at all. All they did was shift responsibility to some other department and put us on hold, back and forth at least 10 times.

No word about any replacement car, any compensation, or any help whatsoever. They just abandoned us. As a result of everything, we were forced to pay an alarmingly bigger sum that was specified, with the Europe travel cost being subtracted from our 250 Pound security deposit. The entire tire ordeal was not compensated, even though it was supposed to be covered by Europcar, and the entire service provided by Europcar employees and operators was just totally inconsiderate, unprofessional, and abysmally low in regards to customer service. I do not recommend using this company to rent any vehicles. Stay away from this company all costs. You will literally end up burning through stress and money, all the while being treated so ** poorly. Judging from the other reviews for this company, this is very common behaviour on the part of Europcar.

Explore any other car rental options. Never consider this company. They are dishonest, their prices are at least twice as much as Enterprise, and it appears that they don't give a rat's ass about any of their clients, only fleecing more and any money they can get their hands on. This is absolute ** robbery! I'm seriously set on pressing charges for this **.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Similar to other stories. I hired a car from Europcar, they can't get you through quick enough, picked up car in a dark car park and was in a rush. Car was fairly old and had some scratches on the boot... You know where this is going. When I returned it they claimed I had done it, which I absolutely hadn't, but said "see the next guy..." They then just send it on to head office and when you complain they just say followed procedure and you accepted car. This is just an additional way of making them money - I will NEVER use them again - but if you do, make sure you record EVERY SINGLE scratch or anything they can charge you for. Because they will.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Hired a car from Murcia airport. Check documents the following day due to collecting the car at 11 pm. Only mistake was the damaged wheel was on the front of the car and not the rear. But as there was a total of 3 very good wheel and 1 damaged I thought they would acknowledge their mistake. NO. They said, "Yes you do have 3 Very good wheels and 1 damaged but as it is not where the paperwork said it will chargeable and you owe us 450 Euros but it's ok you can claim it on your insurance." I have to ask Why do they want me to claim on the insurance if it was already damaged and probably already been claimed for. Will be an interesting response Dave.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Beware when renting a car from EuropCar. These guys charge your credit card whatever they feel like, they don't refund your fuel charge and they will blame you for all previous scratches on the vehicle. Oh and good luck getting through to customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Just returned a car hired from Europcar in Greece. On return they charged me 25 euro as the car was "excessively dirty" - in reality a dusting of sand following 14 days touring beaches which would take 2 minutes to Hoover. There was a much rehearsed review by the manager. So never again!

Europcar Company Information