Europcar

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

No customer service. Forcing to take their insurance and not accepting the card one. They don't have good car. Will give you damaged car and they will not give any service when you are in trouble because of their bad car. You need to repair by yourself and no reimbursement. Whole days gone to repair the vehicle, waste my money and whole family trip.

I have rent a car for a road trip in South of Italy (from Brindisi to Salerno). I got a fine that I have regularly paid. I immediately paid the 45 CHF as well that I owed by contract (administrative fee) to EUROPCAR in the case I get a fine. Unfortunately, after months I keep receiving emails from EUROPCAR ordering me to pay the 45 CHF of administrative fee. I attached to my reply the screenshot from my account witnessing that I have already paid and they keep asking for the money. I will not book anymore with Europcar.

I recently have applied for Europcar in Italy and I want to warn everybody. Avoid to apply for their services. They are deceiving customers. Never ever, do not give them your details of bank card. They will take money from your account without your permission and without inform you. It could be happen even after few months you have returned them car. I suspect they deceiving not only in Italy and in others country as well. I strictly recommend refrain to apply for their services. It is scam!!!

Working in the business of events, I have an ever increasing need to hire cars and vans for transporting props, goods and people etc. Over the past 10 years I've hired a huge number of assorted vehicles from just about every car hire provider (ranging from the small independents to the larger corporate globals). I can honestly say my experience with Europcar is the worst example of customer 'service' I've come across - within the automobile rental industry and also that of any bank, insurance company, supermarket, you name it!

After lodging a formal complaint by email clearing outlining a number of significant points, I naturally expected a full formal response. Boy was I wrong. 26 emails later, several phone calls and dozens of unkept promises, all I have received from Europcar's 'legal director' is confirmation of their unwillingness to help me, look into any of the issues or communicate in a normal manner. Without boring you with all the points which went wrong (there were over 10 - amazing for what should have been a simple 5 day rental) it's safer just to avoid these guys. On many of the review sites online, Europcar average 1 star out of 5 - taking into account the thousands of reviews published this really does say it all.

For the record: Customer Experience Manager - UK Operations: Evelyn **. Customer Service Manager - UK Operations: Keris **. Director of Legal Services - UK Operations: Steve **. Europcar use a standard email format for their employee's email addresses - ie john.smith@europcar.com. Therefore, you should be able to work out email addresses for the above individuals should you (unfortunately) need to contact them. I have since lodged a complaint online with BVRLA - (bvrla.co.uk) which are the Ombudsman for UK rentals. They are a free service and will handle the complaint on your behalf. Use the European Car Rental Conciliation Service for vehicle rentals involving vehicles driven through more than 1 country (http://www.ecrcs.eu) - also a free service I believe. It's my honest belief you'd be pushed to find a worse and less caring company to deal with. If you respect customer service, value or honesty - GO ELSEWHERE.

I have rented from Europcar for years. The last time was 5 days ago and have never had an issue. I booked thru their website and received an email confirmation that 'amount to pay at branch - $266 AUD. I noticed there was a deposit of $100.00 AUD the previous time I rented (roughly 5 months ago) and factored that amount towards my budget. Then I get there and was told that because I was paying with a Master DEBIT card, the deposit is $400 AUD and complained that amount should be clearly stated in my email (unless it was in the 'small print section that no one hardly reads). So $626.00 AUD later for a 4 day rental. All I asked is why is it so hard for Europcar to say on your email booking 'amount to pay is $266.00 plus $400.00 deposit. Apparently, I was told it only came into effect this month (January 2017). All I'm saying is thank you Europcar but your services will no longer be needed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

So after someone decided to hit my car and bolt, I had several months of drama involving the police before my car was finally taken for repair. Europcar dropped off my hire car at my workplace. The guy got out the car, handed me a paper to sign for the car, asked me if I wanted him to park it (I declined) and he left with his colleague in another vehicle. Parked the car. Went back into work. Thought no more of it. Anyway, the next morning when I came out to the car to take my eldest to school, there was a huge scratch on the front wing. I took a photo of it and carried on with my day of chasing toddlers around and trying not to go insane. Later that day (approx 17:30, dark) my partner noticed the scratch after parking his car. He came into the house and said I sincerely hope that scratch is on the damage report. Damage Report? What damage report? I have never had an RTA in 20 years of driving. I have never had a hire car before.

Apparently the driver was supposed to walk me around the car to point out any damage to the car so I could mark it on a damage report. He did not do this. My husband took a further photo and said I needed to call them to speak about it asap. Anyway, I called them on Monday from work and the instant attitude was that I had damaged the car and that I was trying to blame them. The woman was very rude (Derby branch). I explained that the driver did not show me around the car or tell me anything about the damage report. She implied I was a liar as her employee had been with her for 20 years and she doubts he would not do that. We argued and argued and in the end I put the phone down in tears. I remembered another employee of theirs called me from a mobile to confirm my address so I called him. He confirmed that 'Stuart' did not walk me around the car and don’t get upset. He would go into the office and sort it out.

I got a further call from the women stating that the person I spoke to was nothing to do with the delivery and that she needed to speak to Stuart, who was off. She said I have signed to say the car was clean and therefore I am liable for the scratch. I said I was not, that it was not done in my care. She continued to claim that it’s their policy. If I sign to say it’s clean then it’s my fault. She was refusing to admit the signature was obtained unlawfully and claimed that the paperwork left in the car clearly outlines their terms and the fact I left it 5 days to report indicates guilt (received car Thurs and called them Mon). She even complained about the time I called her. She asked for a photo and promised me a call back. That is the last I heard from them. They will want the car back shortly so I’m dreading what they are going to try to do to me. Can anyone advise of anywhere I can get legal advice regarding this?

They owe me for deposit on car of 500 pounds and they took 100 pounds from my visa without permission. The customer service person THEODORE are all in it together, it is a ring of conmen and woman, they do not contact you and you will never get your money back. I have several friends that will now never use them and if South Africa rely on tourist I can assure you that this is the not the way to do it. They are crooks robbers. Do not trust them with your Visa cards. You will be sorry.

Europcar Claim Reference # ** - I recently hired a car from Europcar at Heathrow Airport. I have done this many times without issues. However, on this occasion, Europcar contacted me one day after my hire period started with a claim for damage to the car I had only just taken possession of. I had not even been back to their facility with the car and was not due to do so for another 2 weeks. I immediately pointed out their error that same day. However, ignoring my comments, they eventually they sent a claim form to me with details of the damage they claim I made to their car. This arrived months later. Their damage report of which they sent me a copy was made at around 9:00 am on the 18-Oct, the same day I picked the car up. I did not pick the car up until after 3:30 pm that same day. At the time of their inspection I was still flying into the UK and was somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.

Even though I have made them fully aware, several times that they are mistaken, they are still trying to stiff me by making me pay for something I could not possibly have done. I discussed this situation at their Heathrow airport location when I did return the car and was assured that this was a mistake and it would be corrected. Obviously that did not happen. Trying to contact this company is absolutely terrible. Getting through on the phone is useless. They do not respond to e-mail. In my opinion, they show complete ignorance and lack of respect for customers like me. This incident has badly tarnished my view of Europcar. Their front line staff are excellent but once you have returned the car, their aftercare service and customer care is single sided, nonsupportive and impossible to connect with. They do not even have a customer support link on their website and nobody answers any phones at any of the locations they give you.

Be warned. This is a company that does seem to try and take advantage of people. They are willing to charge for things that they are not entitled to, which in my opinion is nothing but a fraudulent action. Luckily I do have coverage for this incident no matter which way it goes but I will tell you, the petty amount they are trying to steal from me will cost them many, many thousands of dollars in lost business because I will tell everybody I know and many more along the way about this situation.

Avoid EUROPCAR New Zealand. I signed-up for a 12 day rental in November 2016. Pick-up at Auckland and return at Queenstown. But I was asked to return at Wellington and get a new car at Picton, South Island. With this the rental period became 13 days instead of 12, and I have to pay in two separate bills. But this is not really a problem. After I returned to my country, I found that they charged me three times in my credit card. This 3rd additional charge is NZD817.89. I sent a report to them and until now they have only acknowledged receiving my report. That's all.

After our 2 day rental, we received a letter in the mail from EuropCar stating that there was a scratch on the driver's side door. They were able to provide a picture of a TINY scratch that we allegedly caused, along with a 600 EURO bill. I am about 10 emails into a very unproductive discussion with them. We were not informed of the scratch upon return of the vehicle. They provided a quote... except it was in German. When I translated it, it was for WHEEL and REAR LIGHT repair. It wasn't even to repair a scratch!!! When I gave them the opportunity to admit this as an honest mistake, they did not. They have been unable to provide an actual invoice substantiating real costs, despite the fact that 8 months have gone by. In conclusion, this company is simply the worst. It's not a deal - it's a lure.

We booked through rentalcars.com and we were completely mis sold car hire. Do not use this company, they are a rip off. Completely mis sold car hire for Australia. We were charged 4 times the cost we had already paid which included hire and all the collision waivers. When we arrived we were told the damage clause was still at 4200AUD and Europcar would charge us another 600 AUD to waiver the damage to just 1500AUD and 900 AUD to zero. We were then charged airport surcharge, none of this mentioned in the purchase. Actual cost was 1300 AUD for a two week rental. Joke. When we tried to collect the car early 3 hours, we were told it would cost 1000 AUD. When we phoned Europcar they did it for free. Crooks.

I rented in UK at London Stansted Airport a car for one day. I rent often with various car rental companies. From my experiences I didn't take the full cover insurance from Europcar, because I never needed it. The car was handed over at night with no damages in damage report. I inspected the car next morning and I didn't find visible damages such as scratches and dents, so I thought everything is fine. I returned the car next day outside of business hours. I took some pictures of the car to have an evidence about the car's condition.

After a week I got a damage report via Email from Europcar that damages were found. The Damage Report contained some pictures of a road and some of the car, not really accurate. The pictures of the car showed a scratch and scuffed paint. The picture were taken without a metering in the pictures, so it's uncertain how long the scratch is. On my pictures these "damages" were not shown, because my pictures are not detailed enough. The claimed "damages" (scratch and scuffed paint) must have been caused during the lifetime of the car, before my rent, but I wasn't able to find them in my inspection because they were too minor.

After a few weeks Europcar send me an estimate of costs of the "damages", about 1000 Pounds which I have to pay. Over the last months I fight with Europcar about this claim, without any result. Europcar insists that the claim is right and that they did nothing wrong. Paying for something I didn't cause is a very bad feeling. My questions about the missing metering in the pictures in damage report, that I can't see the damages on my pictures and that I never was able to find the claimed "damages" because they are not obvious were left unanswered by Europcar until today. All in all a terrible experience. I can only advise everybody to pay for the full cover or maybe better to rent with another company.

We rented a car from Europcar at Glasgow Airport in September. We have been battling them since that time for 2 extra days of rental (when we were already back at home), an upgrade amount that we didn't contract for and a 9 mm scratch on the bumper which we didn't do. The car had so many dents and scratches when we rented it that it would have taken an hour to document them all. There wasn't even anyone in the lot to go over any existing damage with us when we picked up the car. They are now charging us 989 pounds sterling for the 9mm scratch! But when we returned the car, there was a team of people using special lights to go over it looking for any damage. This company is dishonest and corporate garbage. NEVER, NEVER rent from them!

Rented car for one day in Brussels. Returned with agent spending exorbitant time looking at car. Came back stating there were scratches on hood that I had not caused but failed to note when I got car. Europcar did not go with me to inspect or send damage slip when I rented. Dark colored car and when I looked there was no scratches unless you got down on hood. They wanted to charge $280 Euros for nothing. After a debate they did not charge me but said I had to note every little thing on the next rental. There will never be another rental from Europcar. Personally, I think they try to scam a traveler.

This company are scammers!! Don't know how they get away with it. We booked a car at Europcar Birmingham which included insurance. I will get straight to the facts and won't bother complaining about the rude, arrogant, incompetent employee at the counter. This company charged me an extra £20 a day for insurance, even though my booking clearly stated insurance included, £10 pound a day to change the booking name as my husband left his licence at home so we needed to put it in my name, and £5 daily upgrade even though there was no upgrade and we received the same type of car booked and paid for. So an extra £35 a day over 21 days, an extra £735, converted to about $1200 AUD.

This was a scam as we had insurance, didn't get an upgrade and were allowed to add an extra driver for FREE. This was all on the paperwork that I showed them. They said if you don't pay, then you don't get the car. After 90 minutes arguing, crying, shouting, asking for manager, telling them this was fraud, they finally said, "Ok you're right. Just pay the £5 a day upgrade even though it wasn't an upgrade." If we didn't argue and refuse to leave, they would have got away with ripping us off over $1200 AUD. The employees must make commission on how much extra they charge you as this is the 2nd time I've been ripped off by them. I felt like an idiot for giving them another go. Never had this problem with Budget or HERTZ. Obviously I will never use them again and I strong advice anyone to NOT use them. They will rip you off.

Original quote: 103.49 (inclusive of full insurance) plus an additional 150 for upgrade. 4 days of car hire charged, yet 5 days of upgrade charged. This has been confirmed. The charges are correct and have been applied correctly by Europcar three times! Promise of discount for Emirates Business Class passenger not given. Original quoted cost deducted at outset; not upgrade. We were not sure whether the upgrade was for free or not. Keddy advertise: This package is specifically aimed at cost-conscious Leisure customers who seek a better service than that typically provided by low-cost rivals. They obviously do not believe in their offer as Seema (the agent) was relentless in coercing, intimidating and bullying into accepting an upgrade. 3 times she was told to leave the booking as is and she went on and on. The Hyundai was adequate. We drive a luxury car at home. There is no requirement for a luxury car to go and visit relatives in Swindon.

I agree with other reviews. Stay away from this company. They tried charging me extra on my prepaid invoice and then after the rental you can't get any help from customer service (send them an email and they may respond in 14 days–are you kidding me?). I received notification of a parking violation in the UK and they automatically billed my credit card for "administration" but did not send me the information so that I could pay the bill, so I incurred additional charges and they simply wash their hands off the problem.

Called me 14 minutes before planned delivery and said they were trying to locate a vehicle. Then, contrary to the Terms and Conditions emailed to me they said they required to do an Equifax check against me - despite me living abroad and despite me paying all fees upfront (no credit). They then said they can't rent a car to me. Completely arbitrary and when I asked the reason why, the woman condescendingly said "I've just explained". Emails all go unanswered. THEY ALSO ARE TRYING TO CHARGE 50GBP CANCELLATION CHARGE FOR THEM CANCELLING.

In 2014 we went to several cities in Germany. When we reached Cologne Germany we rented an nice little compact Europcar. We paid and everything was fine, no complaints with price. We had it back on time, filled the tank up while we traveled and before we returned it. A few months later we get a letter about a $350 charge saying we put the wrong fuel in the car. First off let me point out that while that seems like an easy mistake one would make, it would not be easy if people like us. See, every car has it clearly marked all over the interior and even on the gas lid and cover. Also, the kicker is... my fiance knows all about fuel. He has every dirt bike, street bike and maintains them all. He knows all about different kinds of fuel and gas. There is no way he Put the wrong fuel in that car. It is completely a false allegation.

I emailed them and wrote them a letter saying it was a false claim and if they charge the credit card we would take action. Never heard from them again until today, 2 years later. They are still trying to pin this charge on us. My fiance has excellent credit and he would pay up if he did indeed cause the damage. Do not rent from these people. We know he didn't put the wrong gas in. They just try and scam Americans out of their money. The debt collector called today and he told them to shove it. We will be getting with Our lawyer and sending a letter. Never again will be rent from them when we go back. Total scammers!!!

I recently hired a very dirty car from Europcar at Liverpool Airport for 3 days and returned the car on the agreed date. Less than 48 hrs after I got home I received an email with an invoice for £105 for 2 extra days plus fuel. On phoning their customer services I pointed out that I had returned my car, after having refueled, at 11 am on 12th Dec which was the agreed date and was on a flight at 1255 hr yet I had been invoiced for returning a vehicle on the 13th Dec at 1745 hr and for fuel.

The invoice was not even for the car registration that I had rented. I asked for my money back immediately. Oh no that is not possible.... I have to prove I was on the flight. No says I... you prove it was my signature on the return form of the hire car on the 13th Dec which I know cannot be as I was not even in the UK that day. This will take Europcar 7 days to do and then if they are satisfied I have been wrongfully invoiced they will reimburse me which will take a further 7 days. If they are not satisfied then I will have to prove to them that I did fly at 1255 hr out of the UK and then if they are satisfied they will reimburse me after a further 7 days. How come they can take my money, in less than 48 hrs but it will taken them a minimum of 7 days and possibly up to 21 days minimum to give it me back when they should never have taken it in the first place.

I will never use Europcar again, be very very careful dealing with them, they have a LIAR on board at Heathrow. If your driver's licence indicates you are an organ donor you will be offered a free upgrade. That is definitely not the case, we found out the hard way (£472.00) and you will be charged heaps by them. We were told a complete pack of lies and Europcar only considers their approach to facts yet by the liar's statements misrepresentation has taken place.

While I am equally unhappy with both Rentalcars.com and Europcar, the rip-off come from Europcar. We had a long trip to Europe which included six car rentals in the UK and Ireland, five of which were with Europcar. In each and every case there were extra charges on a supposedly prepaid rental that nearly doubled the cost of the rental--the root of my complaint with rentalcars.com which is failure to disclose true cost.

The two biggest complaints I have are with Europcar Ireland and Europcar UK. In Dublin, I picked up the car and was forced to buy their insurance or no car. I had evidence of my full coverage between a rider on my car insurance policy, credit card cover and a supplementary policy I had taken out with Chubb to completely cover any car rental damage, etc. Not good enough for them--no excess insurance, no car. To add insult to injury the charge for one week was 135% of what I pay for six months coverage on a brand new vehicle (2017 Volvo XC90) at home.

The second issue was when I picked up the car at London City Airport we were directed to a poorly lit pickup area on a dark and rainy night. That was not manned. We inspected the car as best we could and did not find damage nor did we notice any damage as we drove the car during the week. Upon return to LCY, the person inspecting the car asked me about the "damage". When I asked her to show it to me, she pointed to scrapes underneath the car on the passenger side front door.

When I looked at the damage, I pointed out to her it was extremely rusted and oxidized and showed signs of being much older than a week old. She agreed and said no charges would be assessed, but I would have to get an e-mail receipt since she couldn't provide one at the time. I stupidly agreed. I have yet to receive a return invoice despite repeated attempts to get one and now have a bill for $970.00 charged to my credit card account. Since that time they have also faithfully ignored my requests for a copy of the return receipt that I need to document my claim for reimbursement on my credit card. Rent with more reputable companies. The quote may be a little bit higher, but in the end it will cost you much less.

I rented a car from Interrent at Inverness Airport for 3 days but returned the car the very same day when I realized driving on the left side of the road and navigating Scotland's traffic circles was too stressful for this American. I was told I would be charged only for the one day. However, I was charged for 3 days. I then found out how this company hides... providing no telephone customer service, only an email address where my emails were never answered. I had six wonderful months in Europe and this is the only incident I had of dealing with such an unscrupulous business. Don't believe me? Read all the other complaints on this website. Shameful.

I booked a pre-paid rental for my son. He has a US credit card which gives full primary insurance cover when CDW is declined. Europcar refused to accept his decline as he does not have a US passport. There is no such requirement listed in the Europcar T&Cs. I called the credit card issuer who had never heard of this requirement. I called the central UK booking office of Europcar who told me there is no such requirement. It was 11pm at London Heathrow after a long journey. My son was tired so he just signed up for the insurance they said he was obliged to take. Either Europcar don't train their employees properly or they are scammers. Having read through the myriad complaints here, I go for their being scammers. They should be denied airport access.

So many bad reviews of this company - best not to go near them. They are only efficient in getting your business. They are extremely difficult to get an answer from afterwards. Long wait for pick up at airport. Unhelpful staff. Car check done in dark - strange process of someone marking little crosses on a bit of paper (why is this not better organised and prepared in advance given you could be charged for any damage not marks with a little cross!). Charged a much higher deposit than outlined in confirmation email. On return, charged with damage on the underside of the bumper (Strangely, Europcar agent went straight to this part of the car - don't remember him going under the car when it was given to me!). Once home, this company is not interested in your complaint. They have so many complaints they can't handle them.

We pre-booked a rental car with Europcar for both London with a drop off in Dover in 15 to 18 September 2016, and Calais with a drop off in Frankfurt from 19 September to 10 October 2016. Our London experience was fine, we were offered an upgrade which was clearly explained to us and accepted. Our overall experience with the company in England was satisfying.

With respect to the Europe experience that is a different story. We had pre-booked a vehicle meeting our requirements and had been given a guaranteed quote of Euro929. We had been utilizing a Pre-Loaded Travel Card, but for the purpose of deposit we had to provide a credit card with our name on it. We were happy to do this under the condition that the account would be settled using an alternative payment option as we had purchased Euro specifically to cover all our travel costs. While the customer service person on the front desk was pleasant, her English while better than our French was limited.

We were required to initial the contract which was in French, at that point we had not been offered an upgrade of any sort to what we had originally booked. We were not told that the GPS system as an addition to the contract nor was it pointed out to us that this was included in the contract. The vehicle was waiting for us and we were not offered an alternative, and the fact that it had GPS was not indicated even when the service attendant was showing us the functionality of the vehicle. Had this been indicated or discussed we could have declined the inclusion of the GPS and taken an alternative vehicle.

We returned the vehicle in Frankfurt and subsequently received the emailed invoice and we immediately queried why the amount differed from the guaranteed quote by Euro168. We were told it was due to the GPS. We explained that we had not requested the GPS and consequently disputed the extra amount. We offered to pay the agreed quoted amount of Euro929 with our multi-currency card until the dispute was resolved. In the interim our visa was charged for the entire amount and to add insult to injury a further NZ$43 in currency charge was incurred, additionally we are now stuck with excess Euro which we will lose a further NZD165 on to convert back to NZD.

A warning to others - be very careful when dealing with this company. They are not always transparent in the dealings. While the vehicle was satisfactory, the experience overall has now been severely tainted. We are currently looking at the legality of them deducting the full amount from our credit card when it was under dispute as even it legal is very poor business practice in our view given an amount was and is still under dispute.

Having paid upfront for car hire from Europcar Heathrow branch UK to getting there after a long flight only to be told the car that was paid for wasn't available so we had to take a different vehicle. On return one month later I find that I have been charged a second time nearly the same amount as the monies I had already paid. I was not informed this would be the case and reading some of the reviews on here I see that many people have had the same problem also with the same person. Customer service just don't seem to want to be of any help either or take any responsibility. I will certainly never recommend Europcar to anybody and certainly will never use myself again.

In April 2016 we rented a car from Europcar, Italy through the services of Rental Cars. The pickup was from Siena on 17/05 and drop-off was in Florence on 23/05. The rental was paid in full in April, and upon drop-off we paid for all incidentals. On 23/09 there was a charge on our credit card for 103 Euros from Europcar, Rome. This charge, made several months after rental is a complete mystery. Europcar has never contacted us about any additional charge, and the credit card debit is completely unauthorized. Internet research shows that other people worldwide have been victims of this apparent fraudulent scam by Europcar, Italy.

I feel compelled to follow through on my complaint forwarded to Europcar in connection with a recent car hire in the UK. Firstly their service in Cardiff to pick up the car was lacking to say the least in as much as they did not turn up at all. When contacted, they advised that the car was on its way which was a total lie! No one arrived and after 2 1/2 hrs of waiting at Cardiff railway station, I made my way to the nearest depot and demanded that a car be given to me at that point. Finally this was organized and I have to admit, the car itself was in the category booked and in a clean and tidy condition. I had the car for 11 days and returned it to Cardiff, as advised.

The after service is where I have the biggest issue. In the mail, 2 weeks after returning to New Zealand, I received 2 letters from Europcar, advising that I had received violation notices whilst in possession of this car. For your information, one of these notices was completely my fault (the other is being disputed), however, my complaint is not with these but with the charges that are made by Europcar and when these charges are actually forwarded.

Please see attached my letter to Europcar, of which a copy has been forwarded to the Chief Executive of BVRLA: "I would like to take this opportunity to express my displeasure at receiving recent administration invoices from your company in relation to traffic violations during my recent car hire in the UK. Firstly I would like to make it clear that one of these charges was, in fact, totally my fault, in as much as I was unaware of the charges required as a Dart Charge on the A282 Trunk Road. My grievance is in the way that Europcar has handled this charge, the incorrect notice and subsequent conversations.

"After expressing my displeasure on the phone yesterday, I called Dart Charge and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who explained the so called "Standby Notice" that you had referred to. Looking back at the invoices, I noticed that your office had received this on the 2nd November (as per a date stamp) and, in spite of having my email address whereby you could have made contact with me within 24 hours, you chose to hold on to the invoice for a further week and then POST it to me in New Zealand, together with a letter dated 10 November, therefore taking it out over the initial 14 day payment period.

"Furthermore, in my conversation with the Dart Charge office, they advised me that you have had NO contact with them at all and therefore, your letter of 10 November to me is actually untrue and you have NOT supplied my details to the issuing body. I have to make the assumption then that you will do this following the 14 day "challenge" period of your administration charges as per your letter. 'To comply with our legal obligations we have supplied your details to the issuing body as the primary driver at the time of the offence. In due course you may be sent a notice directly which will either be a request for payment or an application for your licence details if the notice has been issued by the police'.

"I have been advised by the Dart Charge office that this practice is common among certain Car Hire Firms, Europcar being one of these companies, therefore giving you the opportunity to charge an exorbitant administration fee. If settled immediately, the charge would have been GBP2.50. I am forwarding a copy of this complaint to the Chief Executive at the BVRLA as I believe this to be dishonest, shoddy practice. If as stated, the BVRLA are the trade body of the Vehicle Rental and Leasing sector, I would expect some action. This NEEDS to stop!! I look forward to your comments."

After reading reviews on this site, it appears this is happening on a more than regular basis and I said, it NEEDS TO STOP!! This is the first review I have ever written on any site and it is unfortunate it is such a negative one. Working in a customer service role in NZ means I am well aware of how important the public are to you. The UK needs to step up their service to tourists all round or it will be just another problem to add to their growing list of issues!!

Use Rentalcars.com and Europcar at your peril. I booked with Rentalcars.com on August 31st to rent a car for my upcoming UK trip. The confirmation quoted me the full price (Total Payable) $253.94 I picked up the car at Europcar at JLA and returned the car on September 30th had the attendant sign off for no damage and thought everything had gone well.

Two weeks back, when reviewing my VISA statement, there was a charge from Europcar for $95.98. I contacted Rentalcars.com and sent them all of the documentation, none of which mentioned hidden charges. They responded that Europcar were entitled to add a vehicle licensing fee of 1.38 pounds a day. After they added a high exchange and a 3% exchange handling fee, the justified the additional amount pointing me to some fine print in their T's & C's. Despite numerous calls and emails, they continue to deny my request to reverse the unauthorized charge to my credit card. It is truly sad that companies like Rentalcars.com and Europcar resort to unethical practices to squeeze their customers. Never again will I use either of these companies.

Europcar Company Profile