3.5/5 (117 ratings)

About Europcar

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Don't rent from Europcar in the USA. They used to be such a good company, but now can't organize themselves out of a cardboard box! We rented a car from Europcar in Miami for a visit to the USA. Upon arrival, I took my family and our luggage 20 minutes all the way to the car rental building across the airport to find.... NO OFFICE FOR EUROPCAR AND NO SIGNS OR INFORMATION.

I found a phone number online for Europcar Miami and got only a recording with "Welcome to Fox Car Rental." There were two options: get their address (recorded) and directions from Miami airport (recorded). These directions sent us outside to bus stop 1 (hardly labeled at all, no sign that says Europcar or Fox Car Rental). Finally, we arrive at Fox and get our car, only to find that road tolls are not included, as they had been on our last visit to Miami three years before. So, after paying more than originally agreed to include Florida road tolls, we leave with our rented car.

When we return the car, I walked in to ask here the shuttle picks up, unloaded our luggage and returned the car. And waited. And waited. Speaking with the attendants there was unhelpful. I received no explanation as to why the shuttle had driven by us without stopping after we had been waiting 20 minutes. Further discussion ultimately led to an unproductive disagreement over how long we had been waiting. After too many requests for shuttle, we ultimately booked an uber to the airport so as not to miss our flight. I read online that this merger/acquisition happened more than 2 years before. Enough time to get some signage sorted out in the airport and a running shuttle!!! TERRIBLE COMMUNICATION AND AWFUL SERVICE! Bye, bye Europcar USA for me.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Don't rent a car with Europcar in Jamaica! I reserved a car with them through Expedia and they did not honor the reservation. This added expense, stress and inconvenience to my short trip and provided a poor first impression of Jamaica. I waited 45 minutes for someone to come to the desk only to be told there was no car. I suggested I could come back tomorrow and asked what time. They gave me a time and referred me to an expensive taxi when I asked for a recommendation.

When I came back the next day there was still no car for me and the service representative was completely unhelpful and unconcerned. The customers in front of me returning their car complained that the car was in poor repair. Finally I just walked away and the company I ended up renting a car with, for twice as much, explained that the reservation was too good of a deal - $330 for six days - that the company will give priority to anyone who offers more money, regardless of reservations. As two women with two children travelling on our own in Jamaica we were depending on the reservation and we did not appreciate the poor service and resulting huge inconvenience.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Do not rent from this company. The worst experience ever in renting a vehicle. They rip you off. I have a charge in my credit card for $150 extra of what saying that it was for winter equipment. I never get a "winter equipment". Never ask and they never offer me. When I call customer service they said bill is close that they can't do nothing. I rent online a Nissan Quest or similar Minivan. When I went to pick up the vehicle they give me a station wagon and they said is same thing. Very disappointed with this company. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR. DO NOT RENT. You going to be misarable if you do it.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My reserved car was not available, but a more expensive one was. From other reviews it seems this is a routine practice - bait and switch. My $400 car ended costing $1500 with added insurance coverage.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I returned the car on a day off and the office was closed so after 2 days they deducted 800 Euros from my credit card claiming there is a scratch on the driver door and they refused to show me the car when I went to face them.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I recently rented a car in Costa Rica from Europcar thru Booking.com for a week. I prepaid for the rental a week before my arrival. When I arrived to pick up my car, they demanded extra insurance despite the fact that my Visa Signature credit card covered the car insurance. Not wanting to ruin my vacation, I agreed to move on. BUT... IT AIN'T OVER YET! I just returned and checked my credit card statement and these hooligans charged me AGAIN (double-charged) for the week upon returning Costa Rica. Booking.com will not take responsibility. Europcar absolutely refuses to acknowledge the DOUBLE charge stating boldly despite all the credit statement and booking evidence I provided them!! These guys are ** SCAM ARTISTS! STAY AWAY FROM EUROPCAR!!! They ruin vacations!!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I live in US and reserved this off of Expedia. The cost was $400 for the week and when I arrived to Guayaquil Ecuador - the cost was then $800 for the week PLUS $30 a day for GPS PLUS $1000 deposit that I was promised 5 days after my car return. When I brought the car back - they charged me another $200 for going over the miles. I was never told about that I had to stay under - and I’ve been back for almost 3 weeks now and still haven’t gotten my $1000 back and they don’t even have a phone number you can talk to anyone - the person through email said I have to wait 30 business days to get my deposit back. DON'T RENT FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I received a phone call from them after 30 minutes of reservation, saying they have to cancel my reservation. I did not receive refund within 1 month, so I called them only to receive answer they were not going to reimburse anything.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

VERY VERY BAD - AWFUL EXPERIENCE!!! Read this entire review and save yourself a lot of money and wasted time on them!!! Used them for our Cabo San Lucas vacation - was for a pre-paid reservation at the their SJD airport location. We "pre-paid" for 2-week rental and insurance thru Orbitz back in March of 2021 [before the news told us prices were going up like crazy] for a November 2021 vacation. They stated they would not honor the pre-paid rental, and, of course, they would not honor the pre-paid car insurance. Insisted that we take their free upgrade [which means higher cost for their car insurance] to a larger car and crazy high prices on the car insurance!

Absolutely worst car rental experience that I have ever ever ever dealt with in over 40+ years of my life! Not a way to start a vacation. Took way way too long to actually perform the car rental transaction itself. AND, they insisted that they put an additional $1200 credit hold on top of the $1300 car rental charge - so over $2500 to rent a car ... still waiting on the $1200 hold to come off. AND, they insisted that the only way to save any money was to go through a "timeshare presentation" for 90-minutes and we would qualify for a $300 credit back ----> but must show proof that we attended the timeshare presentation [at least they serve us breakfast].

I would not recommend them [or Fox Car Rental - the 1st name of the company that I booked with ... now goes by Europcar]. I almost forgot, we have to now go back to Orbitz and get them to refund our money - Europcar would not initiate the refund of our Orbitz Pre-Paid car & insurance fees ---> ANOTHER RIP-OFF!!!! NOT RECOMMENDED. SCAMMER | RIP-OFF | STAY AWAY!!!! They should not be in business - this really sucks!!!! Just Awful!!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

AMERICAN BUYERS BEWARE!!! Rented a car from Fox and they are partnered with Europcar in Mexico. In both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta they will force you to take more insurance than legally required in Mexico. Over $300 in insurance for a week. Do not use this company. Their service is terrible, with old cars that have dents all over. Their pricing does not reflect your final bill, which is certainly going to skyrocket when they gouge you on insurance. You have been warned.

Europcar Company Information