3.8/5 (586 ratings)

About Europcar

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: June 8, 2022

Pickup was fast and easy as was the return. Price was exactly as promised and staff was friendly and helpful. My little Fiat ran well except for the windshield wipers which needed adjusting/replacement. Fortunately rain was brief while I was driving. The whole rental experience was top-notch.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Europcar seems more affordable than other rental companies but they will charge you hidden fees to make up for it. I recently rented a car at Edinburgh airport for 900 GBP. I received an invoice for 1100. The difference is a surprise "premium rental station" charge that was never disclosed. I am disputing charges with my credit card company. Beware.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Europcar erroneously charged my credit card $500 linked to a reservation that wasn't even mine, about 5 months after the reservation occurred. For the last 3 months I have tried tirelessly to have them revert this charge, proved that it wasn't my reservation, opened several cases and made over a dozen calls. It's been an absolute black hole of time. While the customer service reps agree there has been an error made, they always tell me they will forward it on to another team to fix and then I NEVER HEAR BACK. I am at an absolute loss here of what more I can do. People, rent with other providers even if they have a higher daily rate. In this case my dad made a reservation under his name and his credit card, and when we picked up the car I paid the extra charge of having a second driver (me) and since then Europcar has been charging me, with the erroneous charges starting 5 months after my dad's reservation was completed. WTF.

Europcar - if you are reading this, here are a few of my case numbers. How nice it would be to you guys to actually respond and correct this egregious error.

Case #**

Original review: June 1, 2022

Tried to ruin the trip in Puerto Vallarta. Bought Expedia car with extra insurance but still wanted an extra 200 a day for more insurance, totally a scam. Shame on Expedia for selling this crappy car rental at Europcar, had to walk to another place.

Original review: May 31, 2022

My husband & I was in Amsterdam (Netherlands). We rented a car with Europcar. We had car for three days. Car was driven only on the highway, driven about 100 kilometers. There was no problem anywhere but when we returned the car one of their employee came & told us, "You scratched the car." We showed that it is dirt not the scratch. We took a picture & left. After coming home in 3 weeks we got the bill for €1536.67. I can’t believe this people can do this. They advised us that, "You have insurance. Go to them, they will pay us, you don’t have to worry." I STRONGLY recommend DO NOT RENT With this company. They are defrauding the insurance company, credit card company & the CUSTOMERS. The company is cheating with everyone.

Original review: April 22, 2022

At the time of returning the car, there was minor chip on the windscreen. I was advised by the person at the reception, that any windscreen damages were covered as part of the rental/insurance agreement and asked me to sign the undertaking. Few weeks later I was sent a bill for $250. I escalated the matter to claims department but was told very bluntly to refer to rental agreement and pay the bill. This in my view is misrepresentation and bad customer service.

Original review: April 21, 2022

They allow you to book but then they cancel so you can book another car and too at expensive prices. I had this experience almost 5 years ago and now the YouTube TD also suffered the same thing. I dont know why the company is still functional.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Europcar will show up as a little cheaper until you are at the counter. After being kind they tell you your personal, Credit Card Supported or Third Party extra insurance you may have purchased from Expedia, Orbitz, etc does not cover your rental. You are then stuck, you have to buy their high priced insurance or walk away and pay walk up prices at another company which are extravagant. I can’t believe they can exist. Go somewhere, anywhere else to rent a car or get prepared to be professionally and calculatedly screwed.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I rented a car in Bath UK for a 3 day trip around Wales. On day 2 I had a tire blow out on a country road in Wales. As per company policy I called Europcar and they connected me to their emergency tire service. I also told them I was more than willing to pay for any costs. On a side note they have no spare or jack in the car. The tire repair company made me sit on the side of the road for 4 hours before telling me that no one will come out. They informed me that they wouldn't be able to help me. I asked them what I was to do and they said we don't know. I called other emergency service companies and they informed me that they couldn't service Europcar vehicles. I almost thought my wife and I would have to stay overnight on the top of the mountain in 8 degree Celcius weather. Luckily, a wonderful couple drove us to a town 10 miles away. It was a Sunday so I had to wait until the morning to go to the local garage and arrange a repair.

Unfortunately they didn't have the proper size tire and had to order a new one which would be delivered the next day. I called the location where I rented the car, told them of our dilemma, and was promised I wouldn't be charged late charges. I got the car back 30 hours late. That was not the truth. The original cost was $209.27, they charged me $591.83. Furthermore, the agent I returned the car to said he wasn’t able to provide me with an invoice and that I would only be charged the same rate as the original rental agreement. Also a lie. I have tried disputing the charges to no avail. There is a real possibility that the tire was damaged prior to me renting the car. The blow out occurred on the wall of the tire facing underneath the car. So not only did I have to pay extra for the rental but $250 for a tire which might not be my fault. Counting canceled train tickets, hotel reservations, changing flight reservations I am out over $1,000.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Be aware. They will try to scam you on insurance telling you the visa doesn't cover insurance. When provided with proof they canceled my car. Wanted 550us extra. Big scam. This was in Mexico at Cancun airport March 22 2022.

Europcar Company Information