2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.78/5
Based on 1,128 ratings

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I am writing this complaint, not only to show my disappointment on the overall customer support service, but also your lack of interest during the past months to address the issue. On Friday, 24/07/2020 my friend rented a car at Europcar’s location in Eindhoven centre. Long story short, the car had a breakdown failure while we were in Germany, which Europcar attributes to us due to wrong fuel usage. This is something which baffles us, since we are sure we used the correct fuel, at least the one that was on the car’s sticker. We cannot prove otherwise, so we’ll leave it as is.

After break down and calling Europcar on Saturday 25th evening, we were redirected to Allianz and then later to Peugeot, given that the car was under Peugeot’s warranty. After quite an effort to get the correct support, we manage to get assistance called by Peugeot. ADAC diagnose was a broken spark inside the motor, and car could not be fixed. A trailer was called and the Peugeot assistance told us that transportation will be arranged to go back to holiday location. The car was tolled but transportation had to be arranged by us – first surprise.

Following more calls to Peugeot, we were told that a car would be arranged for us at 07:00 in the morning of Monday 27/07/2020, nothing available for Sunday 26th. The car was not present at 07:00 and we got no call informing of such change – second surprise. We were also told by that the car needed to be returned to be returned to Germany. This of course would not be possible, since we had to return to the Netherlands – third surprise.

Contacting Europcar once more and explaining the situation, we were told to wait while people worked on the case. After multiple calls with a need for me to keep on calling to collect feedback of the status, around 12:00 we were redirected to Eurocross services and we were proposed to be proactive looking for a deal. You have read it correctly, we were at this time aligning 2 parties together and we were the customer. From our initially agreed time to have a car (07h00), it took us many calls, alignment and extra trips (taxi paid by us) to arrive at another Europcar’s office around 18h00, 1h30min away from our location.

In the end, after such a long day (and weekend) of trying to get the situation fixed, we finally got another rental car at 18h00. We have not included the numerous calls we had to have between Allianz, Europcar and Eurocross. It still amazes me how from broken-down car on Saturday evening, Europcar could not provide an alternative until Monday 18h, and only after a lot of pushing from us. For me, Europcar is now only a low-tier rental car company name, with low quality and low coverage in the countries they officially operate in, like Germany and The Netherlands. I could have not expected worser service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I reserved a car with Fox in Cancun, Mexico. I used to rent with Fox in the USA and have always had a good business relationship with them. Apparently they have merged or were bought out by Europcar. What a disaster. If I would have been aware of this I would have never rented from them. Ten years ago, Europcar in Mexico illegally tried to charge me (unsuccessfully) for damaging their car. On this particular trip ie on 11/16/2020, I had a Mid-size SUV reserved, a Dodge Journey. Upon arrival they refused to give me what I had reserved and tried to give me a Chevy Trax. We all know the difference, so let’s not play stupid on this. Then they jacked the price of the car up by over 300%. Yes, I have a picture of the new contract, as I am sure they will also lie about this.

Europcar said they had to charge me for all the insurances, that it was their policy. I assume that is also a lie as I cannot find any such policy in writing. I explained my AMX business card would cover everything, but the other party liability and I was willing to purchase that. The salesperson was very confrontational and refused. He said I either take out all their insurance or I put a hold on my credit card in the amount of $15,000 USD. I even called AMX and had the insurance department explain to Europcar that they would be covering the insurance, but again Europcar refused. I asked to talk to a manager, but none was available. After continuing this line of questioning, they said there was a female supervisor there, but I was not allowed to talk to her.

After 2 hours of lies and harassment I went back to the airport and had Budget pick me up. The salespeople at Budget remembered me from last month and were glad to have my business again. The biggest liar award goes to the rep at Europcar was Andres **. This experience was nothing more than to remind me what a corrupt and unethical business Europcar operates. I talked to some of my business associates in Cancun and they laughed at me, telling me everyone in Mexico knows Europcar is a scam. I will remember this for me, and all my business associated to NEVER EVER rent from such an unethical lying manipulative company. I hope you can do something about this, but since they have been scamming people for more than 10 years, I do not think they will ever change until the corporate office takes this issue more serious or until the government in the host country investigates them for fraud.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

We had a car rental reservation in Cancun on Sept 8th. They didn't honor Expedia's insurance. that's fine Europcar requested $12.000 USD no joke $12.000 deposit or buy their $50 per day insurance. What a gimmick? Europcar won't refund if you even return the car 2 days before. Be ready to spend your 45 min to 1 hour at Europcar store to make a deal. Polices are joke. Police asked $400 for speeding or they will send you to a court for 10+ Ready to spend your half day of your vacation. Corruption Corruption Corruption. I wish I made a video. The biggest advice to those who want to go to CANCUN. Don't go!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I made a reservation for a rental car at Orly airport in Paris; my flight was changed and I realized that Europcar agency closes at 6:00pm and does not offer pick up after closing hours. The company does not refund your paid reservation and offers generously a voucher instead. I will stay on night at the hotel in the airport to get the car at 8:00am. I was told to be on time at 8:00am because they were doing me a favor to keep my reservation one more day. This company has zero flexibility.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

My experiences with Europcar. :( It was my first rental with them and I waited in line for over 3 hours (I had a reservation at 8pm, I did not get the keys until 11:30pm). To make matters worse it was closing time and when I got to the car the fuel tank was half empty. I went back but the counter was already closed so not only did I lose 3.5 hours but I also lost 30 euros. I should have stopped using them right then and there but stupidly I decided to try one more time. On the second rental I received a defective car that was making noise and I had to return it. Unfortunately, I also received a speeding ticket during the rental term. I paid DGT in Spain directly for the fine with my credit card, Europcar had nothing to do with administering the payment. When it was time to return the car I returned the car on time but the person working the counter did not want to be bothered with me and told me to just drop the keys in the dropbox.

A few days later I received a revised invoice and they charged me about 100 extra euros for 2 additional days because the time of return was not recorded as Saturday but rather on Monday. After many, many emails and much stress and after receiving at least 6 different invoices I finally received the correct charge, however they then added another charge. They are fraudulently charging me a fine administration fee for a fine that I paid myself and not through their company. I am now opening a dispute with my credit card company and I will be posting reviews of my experience to warn others. I gave them the benefit of the doubt after the first rental but the second was even worse. :( So far I have lost 10 hours of my vacation due to Europcar! Save yourself the stress!

Original review: July 24, 2020

Booked a car online, they didn't have any car left when we arrived to pick it up, holiday ruined. We also had to raise our voice to have a receipt for cancellation as they wanted to dismiss us without it simply because the staff couldn't be bothered to produce it. If you care about your plans, stay well away from these cowboys.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I cancelled a car hire reservation, according to their terms and conditions I am entitled to a refund, but they refused to refund for 18 months. I used the voucher to make a new reservation, but instead of reducing the bill they made pay in full and promised an immediate refund to my credit card account for the voucher amount. I contacted their customer service phone line 4 times asking for the refund all to no avail. I email a complaint detailing the whole story and received a reply saying that I must make a third car hire booking using the voucher or wait 18 months for a refund! Europcar ignores their own terms and conditions, breaks promises made and does not deserve any customers.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Booking Reservation **. I rented a car from Europcar El Calafate, Argentina. I planned on driving over to Chile for a few days and returning to Argentina. But due to the pandemic break out, Argentina closed their borders and shortly after so did Chile. We had no option but to return the vehicle to the nearest Europcar in Chile, Punta Arenas. Europcar Chile said we should not worry as it is out of everybody's control what is happening, and so it is.

We returned the car earlier than what we would have needed to and flew to Balmaceda, Chile where we rented another car from Europcar for more than a month. We had great service from Europcar Balmaceda with no issues. I have spent a lot of money on renting cars from Europcar and specifically decided to use Europcar due to being an international company. I would have considered smaller companies if I knew that Europcar had the same way of scamming their customers.

Upon my return to the UAE and being able to see my Credit Card Statement I saw a huge amount deducted from my credit card. I queried this with Europcar El Calafate and indeed it was them who deducted US$1,665 from my Credit Card without authorization. This is totally unacceptable. Nobody can be held responsible for what a government decides to do in these situations. Airlines, Cruise Ships, Hotels all had to refund their customers. How can Europcar just decide on this deduction with no consideration for the situation?

I trust you will consider this situation unprecedented and refund the unauthorized deduction. I will go to great lengths to make everybody aware of unfair dealings at Europcar if this is not resolved. I work in a big multi national company and will make it known on all our platforms to be aware when dealing with Europcar. All social media outlets will be used to maximize exposure to this as well.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Overall reasonably nice car and process to pick up and return also was ok. But small billing scam. My contract in in euros and they are supposed to bill me in euros (as all other rental car companies in Europe which I use often). Yet they take advantage if you use a US credit card and convert the bill into usd with a 5% surcharge. 5% is not such a big deal but it is DISHONEST and they are not allowed to bill in a different currency without my authorization. I made a complaint and got a dumb and misleading reply from them about it. So I disappointed.

Original review: April 8, 2020

My friends and I rent a car for a UK's trip in the Gatwick's airport on the 7th of February of 2020. An employee of the Europcar office, called Vladimir, attended us kindly. He said that we were lucky because they had a better car for the same price that one we ordered. So we firm all the papers and pay the deposit. The surprise is that the deposit was not refunded to us. We then discovered that we had been ripped off. An extra 40 pound charge was added per day and insurance. Of course we cannot go legally, there is our firm. But I am displeased. They must think that we were stupid, and in that occasion they were right, they took us in low guard. Be careful with europcar.

Europcar Company Information