2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have rented a vehicle through Europcar for a trip to New Zealand twice now and have had great service both times, each time ordering a Toyota Corolla or equivalent as I only wanted a small vehicle. As I didn’t want to pay the extra money for a GPS system, I took my own, only to be pleasantly surprised by getting an up market model Corolla (at no extra cost) which had a built in GPS system which was very handy and easy to operate.

My second time of renting through Europcar was even better. As my flight was due to arrive after the office of Europcar was closed (1.30am), they ensured me there would be someone at the office to help me with my booking and there was, a very nice young man called Abdul. Again I had ordered a Corolla and taken my own GPS. After doing the paperwork I was told that I had been upgraded to a MG SUV (at no extra cost) with an inbuilt GPS system. Abdul walked me to my car, loaded my bags then proceeded to show me how everything worked in the car, which even included entering an address in the GPS. All this took extra time and considering this was way past office hours I never felt like I was being rushed at all. I would definitely book through Europcar again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I rented a brand new Fiat 500 for 3 days. It was at a cheap cost, the process was super easy, and I waited maybe 5-10min for the actual car. The returning of the car was super easy and we were provided with a shuttle ride to the actual airport. This review is based on the Europcar located near the Naples airport.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We needed a car for our 16 day trip to Ireland. I went online to see what was available and was very much surprised at the low cost of car rentals in Ireland. Or so I thought… I had read that the Irish roads are very narrow, and often parking was hard to find, so I looked to Europcar.com to find me a proper rental. I looked to rent as small a car as I could. Ended up reserving a Ford Fiesta or equivalent with unlimited mileage for 13 days to be picked up in Dublin for the unbelievable price of $172.84! Driving on the left side of the road would be something new for me, and although I consider myself a good driver I knew that anything could happen, so I opted for the Collision Damage Waiver offered for the allotted time for an additional $143.00. Easy peasy!

We arrived in Dublin, spent two interesting days using public transportation and then on the day we were slated to leave for Belfast we went down to the Europcar office to pick up our car. Location of the rental offices were convenient to public transportation and the staff there was extremely friendly and helpful. The first thing that I was informed of (that was not mentioned in the online reservation site) was the fact that Ireland laws do not accept US purchased Collision Damage Waivers. The CDW for which I prepaid via the website was completely and totally ineffective and unnecessary. Europcar offered a local and highly recommended Collision, policy that I would have to pay extra for – 16 Euros/day. Then to make sure that we were covered for anything unforeseen possibly happening to the car such as a tree falling on it, or someone hitting it in a parking lot (which the CDW does not cover) we opted for the Complete Car Coverage package – 24 Euros/day.

Secondly, the rental staff member in questioning me regarding how far we were planning to drive noted that a small gasoline fueled car does not make the same sort of mileage as does a diesel fueled vehicle. And with the cost of gasoline being higher than the cost of diesel, we would save on refueling costs by renting a diesel. Being that they had no very small diesel powered cars available, the only choice being an very comfortable, quiet and powerful Audi A4 TDI, we had little choice but to rent the Audi. Obviously, the A4 rents at a higher cost than the Ford Fiesta – upcharge of 20 Euros/day.

Thirdly, because we were renting the car in the Republic of Ireland, but were planning on spending part of our trip up in Northern Ireland there is a charge for taking the automobile “out of the country” with a one time charge of 30 Euros for the rental. Add to those charges a one time Location Surcharge (whatever that is…) of 25 Euros, and a THW charge (whatever that is…) of 8 Euros per day. So adding all those extra charges to the standard 8.45 Euro per day charge for any rental, plus the 13.5% VAT tax on most but not all of the above, our grand total came to $1106.20 Euros.

Now I have to admit that prior to even starting to look for a car rental online, I was expecting the car rental for our trip to run somewhere around a thousand dollars simply from prior experiences in renting cars. So the fact that it ended up coming to a couple of hundred dollars over that was not the shock that it might have been to someone completely uninformed.

Also I have to say that despite the fact that the Audi A4 was a bit larger than what I had originally wanted, and it did take a little longer to get used to its larger width on those tiny country roads, and it was a bit tougher to park it in spaces that were designed for teeny tiny Euro cars, I enjoyed driving the A4 tremendously. It had a very comfortable interior, was extremely quiet on the road, had a staggering amount of power for passing and hill climbs and held the road like a race car. I do not regret renting it at all. And I did get a full refund from the organization that I purchased the US CDW coverage from once we returned to the US and I called and explained our situation. Could have avoided that whole part of the story had their website simply stated that any type of insurance bought in the US for a car rental in Ireland would not be honored there and a separate policy would have to be purchased there at extra cost.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Booked a vehicle from Dublin airport--decided to pay maximum for larger vehicle, automatic, insurance etc.--wanted no hassle whatsoever. At time of booking agent recommended an extra 30 euro charge for terminal pick up--I naively agreed. Arrived at desk--appeared as though they gave away our vehicle as he had to call to see if another available. He fixed us up quickly BUT--we had to hike (2 seniors, 2 adults, 2 children and bags) over to terminal 2 (pick up was supposed to be at terminal 1). Upon return home, I requested a refund--30 euros not a big deal but it was inconvenient and we were charged for something they did not provide. The response was terse advising me that their staff would never charge me for something without my consent. I gave my consent upon their advice--respondent failed to address my basic point and hence no refund.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Booked a car online, they didn't have any car left when we arrived to pick it up, holiday ruined. We also had to raise our voice to have a receipt for cancellation as they wanted to dismiss us without it simply because the staff couldn't be bothered to produce it. If you care about your plans, stay well away from these cowboys.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I cancelled a car hire reservation, according to their terms and conditions I am entitled to a refund, but they refused to refund for 18 months. I used the voucher to make a new reservation, but instead of reducing the bill they made pay in full and promised an immediate refund to my credit card account for the voucher amount. I contacted their customer service phone line 4 times asking for the refund all to no avail. I email a complaint detailing the whole story and received a reply saying that I must make a third car hire booking using the voucher or wait 18 months for a refund! Europcar ignores their own terms and conditions, breaks promises made and does not deserve any customers.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Booking Reservation **. I rented a car from Europcar El Calafate, Argentina. I planned on driving over to Chile for a few days and returning to Argentina. But due to the pandemic break out, Argentina closed their borders and shortly after so did Chile. We had no option but to return the vehicle to the nearest Europcar in Chile, Punta Arenas. Europcar Chile said we should not worry as it is out of everybody's control what is happening, and so it is.

We returned the car earlier than what we would have needed to and flew to Balmaceda, Chile where we rented another car from Europcar for more than a month. We had great service from Europcar Balmaceda with no issues. I have spent a lot of money on renting cars from Europcar and specifically decided to use Europcar due to being an international company. I would have considered smaller companies if I knew that Europcar had the same way of scamming their customers.

Upon my return to the UAE and being able to see my Credit Card Statement I saw a huge amount deducted from my credit card. I queried this with Europcar El Calafate and indeed it was them who deducted US$1,665 from my Credit Card without authorization. This is totally unacceptable. Nobody can be held responsible for what a government decides to do in these situations. Airlines, Cruise Ships, Hotels all had to refund their customers. How can Europcar just decide on this deduction with no consideration for the situation?

I trust you will consider this situation unprecedented and refund the unauthorized deduction. I will go to great lengths to make everybody aware of unfair dealings at Europcar if this is not resolved. I work in a big multi national company and will make it known on all our platforms to be aware when dealing with Europcar. All social media outlets will be used to maximize exposure to this as well.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Overall reasonably nice car and process to pick up and return also was ok. But small billing scam. My contract in in euros and they are supposed to bill me in euros (as all other rental car companies in Europe which I use often). Yet they take advantage if you use a US credit card and convert the bill into usd with a 5% surcharge. 5% is not such a big deal but it is DISHONEST and they are not allowed to bill in a different currency without my authorization. I made a complaint and got a dumb and misleading reply from them about it. So I disappointed.

Original review: April 8, 2020

My friends and I rent a car for a UK's trip in the Gatwick's airport on the 7th of February of 2020. An employee of the Europcar office, called Vladimir, attended us kindly. He said that we were lucky because they had a better car for the same price that one we ordered. So we firm all the papers and pay the deposit. The surprise is that the deposit was not refunded to us. We then discovered that we had been ripped off. An extra 40 pound charge was added per day and insurance. Of course we cannot go legally, there is our firm. But I am displeased. They must think that we were stupid, and in that occasion they were right, they took us in low guard. Be careful with europcar.

Original review: April 2, 2020

We were forced to cancel our car rental in Costa Rica during the Covid19 pandemic. When we signed the contract, we agreed & paid $56 US a day for insurance. Europcar ended up charging us $189.11US. When we tried to contact them on 3 separate occasions, we did not hear back from them. They are guilty of misinformation & dishonest practice. Also, it was impossible trying to contact them at all. I WOULD STAY CLEAR OF DOING ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM!!

Europcar Company Information