1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

590 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I rented a car on August 17 at Liverpool Airport. My friend paid Merseyflow the toll that night and the morning of the 20 August after the return of the car. We supplied Europcar with receipts for same. 150 Euro was taken from my account for alleged nonpayment of tolls despite providing proof. No receipt for this payment so called on my behalf to Merseyflow was ever forwarded to me. Surprise surprise. I am supplied with meaningless platitudes each time I contact them. They have 1500 such cases to deal with but managed to get my credit details pretty quickly. They tell me they will have a resolution within 7 days. They must be operating on a very different calendar. That was 2 months ago. Never ever will I rent from them again. Stop sending me promotional material Europcar. Europcar charged 80/150 already mentioned for deductions from my credit card. No such thing as customer service. More like customer disservice.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

In June of 2018 I returned my car rental to Europcar in Kelsterbach Germany. The car was inspected by an employee and a return receipt was signed and given to me. The employee then drove me and my family to the airport in the same car. 5 months later, in Nov. 2018, I was stunned to receive a letter from Europcar telling me that I owe them 1600 Euro in damages! Luckily I keep all my paperwork and can prove that the car was returned in satisfactory condition. I believe they waited 5 months because they think most people will discard their paperwork and receipts after a short while. Now I can dispute them when they try to defraud me. I've rented cars all over the world and have never had to deal with such obvious criminals. I've filed a complaint with the United States FTC and can only hope that there's enough people ripped off by Europcar that something will be done about it. Until then, AVOID Europcar!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

This was the cheapest rental car company in Italy. But wow, do they make you pay for it. Two months after we rented the car, they charged our credit card for unsubstantiated "damage." Our credit card company settled the charge, however, they still sent collection agency letters to our home with triple the charge of the "damages." Worst way to treat customers ever. Worst experience with a business ever. Totally immoral.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Do not hire from Europcar! They have ripped me off for £625 worth of damage for a bumper scratch (passenger side) which was found upon returning a car at Dublin airport. The damage was not caused by me but the agent attempted to justify himself by highlight how easy it is to cause such damage without me realizing at the time. Funny how he walked straight to the area of damage when greeting us from his little cabin! Awful, criminal and all relevant authorities have been made aware of this disgraceful business model the company put into practice. AVOID!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Do NOT rent a car from Europcar! Sadly, I'm not the only victim. Everyone on here is experiencing the same type of extortion. They are on a mission to extort tourists. Long story short, I returned my car at Milan airport. The customer service made a false claim that I damaged the tire! First of all, there was no damage on the tire and second, whatever he found, was not caused by me! Also, after I returned the car, they charged me for fuel despite the fact I returned the car with the same amount of fuel at the time of pick up. They charged me over $455 for a tire that had already over 25000 kilometers and fuel!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I returned a car to Heathrow and after careful examination by the return agent he assured me there was no damage (and there was not). A week or so later I get a notification that the car had a large scratch that would have been grossly obvious if it had in fact been present at return. The dishonesty of this firm is especially clear since the photo they sent me showed a car of a different color than the one I rented! They have ignored my protests. Don't be lured into doing business with this despicable company just because they have a slightly lower price than the others. You'll be sorry in the end.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

At pick-up, Europcar advised me of a scratch on the right front door. On checking the car, I found no scratch there but there was scuff on the same side rear wing. Mistakenly, I decided I could trust Europcar and did not stop to report the discrepancy. On return, the assistant noted the scuff (calling it a scratch, which it was not) and I had to sign the form but I added a note of explanation. I am charged £472 which I cannot avoid. This is for damage which is slight and not caused by me. I would give 0* if it were possible. Conclusions: (1) Check car very carefully before departure and don't rely on good faith. (2) Avoid Europcar.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I foolishly didn't consult the online reviews before choosing Europcar for a rental in Italy a few months back. Boy do I regret that! The pickup in Naples was fine. All good with the car and no problems during the 4 day hire. But when I returned the vehicle on time to Naples Airport the return agent claimed damage in the form of a scratch to the left front wheel guard that: Didn't occur while the car was in my care and was so minor that it could have been wiped off with polish in 10 seconds.

The female return agent took photos of the claimed damage then produced a blank form that she waved at me and insisted I sign. Although it was in Italian it looked to me like some kind of acknowledgment so I refused. However, she repeatedly insisted in broken English "You have insurance. No cost to you." So, although this smelt to me like an insurance scam, I had a plane to catch and had to go, so I signed the form but only after writing across it that no damage occurred to the vehicle while it was in my possession. So, all was good until I received a charge to my Amex account 24 hours later for Euros 91.50 as a "Damage Administration Fee".

As soon as I returned to Australia I got onto Europcar (Australia) who had issued the invoice and Amex and after an investigation Europcar Australia emailed me confirming that they had investigated the matter and as it appeared the damage was pre-existing and as the demand that I sign a blank form was against company protocol, the Euro 91.50 charge would be reversed, and it was. So, again, all was good until a month or so later I received another debit to my Amex Card from Europcar Italy for Euros 166.64 for "rectifying" the damage Europcar had acknowledged I hadn't caused. This charge is now in dispute with both Amex and Europcar. Having been an Amex member for more than 30 years, I'm less than impressed with their performance in this matter as well (since they certainly haven’t acted to protect their cardholder’s interests) but it all starts with Europcar Italy who, their conduct here suggests, are out and out scamsters.

This may be an isolated event (It was Italy, after all, and Naples in particular) but experience has taught me that organizations don't try to sting customers like this unless this kind of conduct is condoned at the top - or unless the licensor has lost control of its licensees. For people with this kind of mindset, goodwill and trust mean nothing... there's always another sucker and it’s all about how much you can milk the customer or insurance company for and get away with. Just on that front, I tracked down the company on whose "quote" the repair bill was based. It isn't a repairer. It's a company that operates from a low value residential unit in the Rome suburb of Lazio, 230 km from Naples (where the car was returned), but nevertheless miraculously managed to do an inspection of the "damage" and provide a "repair quote" to Europcar within 48 hours of my return of the vehicle… This is a well-oiled machine: make no mistake about it.

Europcar Australia - who assisted in getting the first charge reversed - have now gone into hiding and won't respond to my requests for further assistance in getting this obviously fraudulent second charge reversed - which is disappointing since in the initial intervention they momentarily demonstrated some level of integrity and customer concern. So, at this point I'm battling on, on my own. However, I will continue to do so (including to the European Commission if necessary) since at the end of the day it's not the cost involved that's the issue, it's the principle of the matter. And the fact that if people like us don't tell others about this kind of experience and do something about it, the scamsters are just going to keep getting away with this kind of sleazy, greedy, short-sighted and unacceptable conduct.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We got a car in San Jose Costa Rica thinking location was at the airport, turned out we had to wait 20 minutes to get picked up and shuttle about 15 minutes from the airport to get the car. Once there we paid an extra $175 for 4 days of insurance coverage which was ridiculous but we had been told to fully insure the car as US insurance policies don’t cover you abroad (we have AAA). When we returned the car they charged us an extra $65 for some city tax. Extra fee which had never been discussed with us at time of rental. Don’t rent from this company. It’s overpriced and the car drove so slow had barely any horsepower, but worst of all they are shady and trap you into fees you’re unaware of until you return the car. Nasty company!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I re tied a car from Europcar. I believe the car was defective to begin with. They claimed had burnt out the clutch. I do not think so. Because I needed to continue my vacation in Portugal I really was not able to contest their claim of $1000 damage. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We used Europcar last year, at the Frankfurt airport. The wait at counter was less than 40 minutes, we received our car. No issues. Unlimited miles, we enjoyed the car. Returned it, no issues. We were charged the exact amount that was on the online reservation. Not one penny more! Honest service. I don't know why we used AVIS this year, but they really scammed us. I would recommend Europcar to anyone! Avoid AVIS at all cost!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I thought this was a reliable company! BIG MISTAKE! I rented a car in Ibiza in August, using my Irish card. Yesterday I had been charged for 'someone' scammer who used my card to rent a car in the UK. Your card details are never safe with them! When you contact them in Ireland, I have been informed that is not their business and ask to contact UK. When contacting UK I have been informed to contact the company in Spain! So, as you see the company is not a trust company at all! Big Deception EVER!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We also had a very bad experience with Europcar in May. We rented a car for 3 weeks in Italy. Auto Europe was the broker and we would never rent through them again, nor directly from Europcar. We ended up paying close to $400 dollars extra for adding an extra driver for 5 days and a third driver for 7 days. We tried to clarify what the cost would be for each additional driver with Europcar when we added each driver. They quoted inaccurate information for each.

When we turned in the car, the bill was wrong. They assured us that we were only signing that we were returning the car and that customer service would change our bill. We then tried to contest costs through Auto Europe, the broker. Our understanding was that Auto Europe was advocating for a refund. We also contested the cost on our credit card who dealt with Europcar. Neither our credit card company nor Auto Europe were successful. So now both Auto Europe and Europcar are off our lists for rentals.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Booked a car for 9am. 9:30 still no car. Rang and said it’s 7 mins away. 40 mins later the guy finally arrives, grunts and leaves. I then checked my bank and they have taken £650 as a hold. I rang and he accused me of lying, then he checked and said it’s an error and I would have to wait 7 days. When I asked who to complain to as this was not acceptable he just laughed and said himself and nothing I could do about it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Rented a car from Marseille airport. Car fine but debited three times on my debit card. After much arguing was credited some of the overcharge. However more than two weeks after raising a case and four weeks since the rental period the outstanding refund has still not been made. UK customer services just say it must be resolved in France.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Absolutely ridiculous. They pressured me into signing that the car was okay "to save time". Then they charged me almost $400 for a 9 mm scratch on the bumper, after returning it. Less than one cm long, minor scratch, and on the bumper, no car company expects that level of inspection before renting a car. This is price gouging. They don't expect to make money off the rentals, they make them by making up new fees afterwards.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I booked Europcar in Czech at a much lower than other offers. I was surprised how much lower the offers were, but I still booked. The rental was fine until the return. A small chip was found on the front wheel by the Europcar agent. He advised me that there may be a slight fee for damage. I had to sign a form to complete the rental. 3 months later without any invoice sent to me, I find a charge for 100 EUR for the damage. I disputed the charge and Europcar told my credit card company that the wheel needed to be replaced. The chip was smaller than a two pence. Even though I paid extra for the insurance, the "wheels" are conveniently not covered. Beware - cheaper is not always better. I never experience this with Hertz.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Renting a car in the UK from far away in Canada can tricky, and when our flight was delayed we ended up missing the car we reserved. The staff at Europcar quickly found us another car, with an upgrade to automatic and SATNAV at a reasonable rate. Our next challenge was a flat tire on our way from the airport. After a bit of a scramble to find the right size replacement (no spare) our family and car were carried to over to local family and the next morning we were all fixed up. The staff at Manchester, the truck driver and tire repair mobile were all very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the car very much and had a wonderful vacation. After returning home we were informed there would be no charge to us for the tow truck or tire repair. Thank you Europcar, we will be back to rent again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We hired a car from Europcar from Glasgow airport from September 24th until October 7th, 2018. We had prepurchased comprehensive insurance but on arriving to collect the car were told they don’t accept third part insurers policy (I have since discovered this is completely false and my insurance policy was completely legal) and unless I paid £44 per day for comprehensive insurance they would not give me a car. I had just completed a long haul flight and decided to take their insurance... I needed a car...and fight it when I got back. Thank god I had the funds. I then went to get the car a blue Vauxhall Mokka and had been told at reservations it has a small dent on the right side. I didn’t check it as I was tired and drove to my accommodation.

Once there I looked at the small dent... It was two huge horizontal dents from handle to base of door and the paint was flaking...an absolute eyesore. But I was too far from the airport at that time to take it back and endured, stupidly the embarrassment it brought. I also went to check the other safety features on the car and it had no spare tire! So if I had a flat as a single woman I would have had to call their breakdown service and wait. I complained when I returned the car and the woman told me most rentals don’t come with a spare! I’ve used many other rental companies and never been refused the use of my own insurance and always received a quality vehicle. I’ve emailed Europcar and to date no response but I will continue to peruse them for a complete refund. Avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I booked a car well in advance online and paid the amount quoted. Before I left to Catania I checked I had everything and the requirements for the car rental. It says on their document bring 3 things: ID, drivers license and the CARD YOU PAID WITH. Well, I paid with a Mastercard prepay and have never had a problem with other companies, for example, Cicar in the Canaries.

We arrived just before midnight at Catania airport and because I had a prepay card the man at the counter refused to give us the car. We offered to pay a higher deposit or even give cash as a deposit. He refused and said it was impossible. I asked to speak to a manager and he said he did not have one but he would give the same answer as a manager. We were only visiting for 3 days and it is very difficult to get around Sicily without a car. He said he would refund us and we have to make other travel arrangements. It's midnight, on a Friday night and without car. We eventually took a taxi and hired a car the next morning from another company but of course not a cheap rate. This was a real dampener to our weekend! Apparently we were refunded but I have not seen my money back or heard back from Europcar about my complaint. For a big company, they are very unprofessional and unhelpful. I really DO NOT RECOMMEND them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Rented a car from Europcar (through the Icelandair booking process and an intermediary called rentalcars.com) in June/July of 2017. Found a great rate for our 10-day trip and had zero problems during the rental. When we dropped the car off, the check-in person noticed a scratch on the driver's side front panel that was genuinely a mystery to us. I drove the car the entire time and didn't bump or scratch anything, so it left me wondering if it had been there all along and I just didn't notice- or maybe someone ran a key across it when I was parked (but I was always in private or secure parking)? I don't know.

We had purchased the full insurance coverage at the beginning of the rental, so brought that up to the person checking in the car. She talked to one of her colleagues and simply gave us our receipt. Everything was paid in full; contract completed. Nearly a YEAR after this rental I received a piece of mail from Europcar, completely in German, asking for a $56 payment. I tried to translate it as best I could but it was still very vague. I found a contact email online for Europcar in the U.S. and asked to be put in contact with someone in the German/European office. I also said I needed to speak to someone in English- the original contract was in English, so I think it's the least they can do.

So the conversation begins over email. The contact eventually said it was something to do with a "glass and tire" fee (he said it was nothing to do with the scratch at drop-off) and their insurance carrier says I should pay it. I explained that that wasn't a proper explanation. I needed to understand WHY I was liable for this fee and why it took them nearly a year to follow up on it. There was no damage to glass or tires during my rental period and I had purchased the full in-country insurance package.

A few weeks later, a much longer letter arrived from a different German company, completely in German. I am not paying for an interpreter and find this outrageous considering my original contract was in English. I even speak French but they offer no secondary language explanation with their communications. I could ignore them but I'm quite sure they'd try to go a collection agency and tack on even more fees.

My attorney even threw her hands up as to what recourse I might have. So I'm essentially being extorted by Europcar and a company called SEGHORN for an unexplained fee. I'm about to embark on contacting SEGHORN to get to the bottom of this nonsense. I'll update this review of possible with resolution details, but my rating will still be a 1. I have rented cars in Germany, Ireland, Italy and France before and have NEVER run into this nonsense.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Booked through a 3rd Party (EasyCar.com) Never again! Was forced to pay additional £20/day for insurance we did not need. Tried to cancel the insurance but I was not given the option by Europcar customer services, found out weeks after that this should have been possible at any rental depot. Also hidden extras in the small print for premium location and license fees. Admittedly I could have spotted these, but there was nothing in the contract stating taking additional insurance with Europcar was mandatory! Never in my life have I been presented with such charges. £410 in extras on a $310 rental.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I rented a car from Europcar in Liverpool for a week in August. Pick-up was straightforward, car was clean and was the car group I had booked. During my rental a timber delivery truck driver scraped the back end of the car. The car was unoccupied and parked at the time of the accident. There were three witnesses, one of whom "found" me and explained what had happened. I worked hard to get the contact details of the driver, the owner of the delivery truck, the insurance broker, insurance company and the three independent witnesses. I provided all this information to Europcar by phone and email.

At the drop-off point, I told the Guy receiving the car about the accident and showed him the list of contact details. He only wanted verification that I'd passed the information onto the Customer Services. He explained that I wouldn't lose my deposit or receive charges as these would be passed on to the insurance company of the driver who caused the damage. All this has not stopped Europcar from making unauthorized deductions from my account. I have blocked them from charging my credit card and now run my current account at such a low balance to ensure they take no more money from me.

When I phone the claims department or customer services I'm told that someone will look into it. I have contacted Customer Services by email and received the following, "Due to the nature of your query; it is taking slightly longer than usual. It is our aim to provide you a full and thorough resolution, including any necessary supporting documentation." One month on and I'm still waiting.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We were on our honeymoon and rented a car from Europcar to be returned in Rome, Italy. We arrived on time with 3/4 of a tank full and advised that we would be happy to pay for the fill up cost. I gave the Europcar staff my card and he said, "It is expensive so you can fill up first and return the car" - As we returned it on time, for us to leave and come back would have us come back after the rental return time, so we asked if there would be extra charges. He said, "no, no problem" and went on to tell us where the closest petrol station was. We filled the car and returned straight after, gave him the keys and with a smile he said Goodbye with a smile.

We then found the charges on the bank statements, the hold amount as well as an extra days charge. We called Europcar whilst we were still in Europe, they raised an escalation, gave a reference number and didn't hear back until we got back to Australia where we got the following email: "As per the attached rental agreement, you were meant to return the vehicle at 12:30 on the 28th of August. As you returned more than 30 minutes past the agreed return time, you have been charged an additional day. Therefore no refund is due."

I have written back with the following and if she/Europcar does not take responsibility for their staff, I will be sure to come back to this forum and others to let you all know. We all work hard enough to save up and take a break, but to be treated like this by big corporations is unnecessary and an indecent manner to conduct business. Reading through the comments, clearly the 1-star rating average here should be less, so there is something seriously wrong here. Perhaps a class action would help to hold this particular brand accountable to their words and actions...

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Based on horror stories below, was very skeptical about renting a car here. But budget was a key concern and I decided to take the risk, knowing that I sure as hell better not ding that car. A tall order, for an American driver in tiny French towns. However, my manual Fiat 500L was bumped to an automatic Citron SUV (the 4 of us with luggage were very happy - again, we were going budget), handled well, and had no problems with pick up or drop off. Would recommend.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Arrived from the USA on Saturday 22nd September with my credit card and pre-paid rental voucher issued by EasyCar.com. EuropCar stated my reservation didn't include insurance and I must purchase it from them, at an extra cost of more than 250GBP for the 10 day rental. MORE than the cost of the rental itself. I provided the agent with my Amex card and showed him that my booking was covered by insurance provided by Amex. He looked confused/frustrated and then said, "This card doesn't match the card on the booking, and can't be used to guarantee the insurance cover".

This is a lie for two reasons; my Amex statement shows the charge and EasyCar.com (where I purchased the voucher) confirmed EuropCar do not receive information in regard the payment method for the voucher. The agent then tried to sell me a NEW 'walk up' reservation, trying to convince me the 350GBP quoted is a good idea, and I should 'forget' the pre-paid coupon. I declined all options, walked away, rented from another vendor and reported EuropCar to Amex & EasyCar.com. EasyCar.com have provided exceptional support in regard this issue and have promised a full refund will be provided within 7 days.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We booked and paid a deposit for a 2 week holiday in July. When we waited at pick up point for over 3 hours, made several calls from our phone and phone at airport, a shuttle bus arrived to take us to the off airport car rental. When we arrived along with 10 other people we were told there were no vehicles available. We then had to get a taxi back to the airport and had to pay twice the price we had been quoted for a much smaller car with Thrifty. The service attendants were rude and after many emails, asking for a refund, still nothing. This was a con from the beginning, as they had no cars at all. Should be banned.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We used the internet to hire a car in Berlin and drove to Paris. Our contract specifically states the "Price includes... Premium Location Surcharge... One-way charges…" We checked upon collecting the car in Berlin that our price included these two charges. We have the contract on file. Three days after leaving the car in Paris we were charged another Euro2000 for one-way and Euro546 for premium location. For months we emailed Europcar and telephoned its customer service (who acknowledged the issue) but Europcar simply has never replied. We have tried several contact points inside Europcar, who listen but we have never got an explanation. Europcar's Customer Services UK which handles these issues will not receive/accept our emails. Like a wall around.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I rented a car from this company and upon returning the car I got charged 56£ for a quarter of a tank of petrol, which is more than the car itself as it cost me 40£ to rent the car. This just doesn't make sense and I was overcharged. I complained and was asked if I wanted to be contacted by the manager. I said yes and a week later still haven't heard from them yet. Please avoid. This company is disgusting and extort their customers. Stay away. Avoid. Use other company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Hired a car in Norway, during the time I did pick up a small (5cm x 2cm) scratch on the edge of the door. Was told that this would have to be paid for out of deposit. - Fair enough, but I was expecting maybe a £100, based on it just needing a small edge buffing and a small respray. On returning to UK been presented with a 14100NRK (£1400) repair bill for the a complete two door bodywork, undercoat, re-spray and lacquering - which is totally unnecessary and an extortionate amount. As this is more than excess they are doing me a 'favour' of keeping the full 95000NRK (£950 + deposit) excess. The local centre was adamant that the quote they got for cost repairs was from an honest third party. They are simply quoting extortionate repair costs in order to fraudulently retain any excesses. They are frauds and thieves. DO NOT USE THEM EVER.

Europcar Company Information