1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

651 Europcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

INSANE and RIDICULOUS - YOU CHARGED ME MORE THAN 1500 Euros for a small dent cum scratch. FOR THIS AMOUNT I CAN GET A USED CAR IN NETHERLANDS which is definitely one of costliest country in Western Europe. I will spend another 1500 Euros but I will make sure I win this battle because you are just ripping off customer. NOT AGAIN - LOW GRADE CLAIMS SERVICE - THEY DO NOT INFORM YOU - JUST SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Europcar charged me the cost of the aerial of the car which was missing from the beginning of the rental. I explained the car radio had not worked all the way through but this is a scam to get some margin back. Stay away from them.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have rented a car from London to Liverpool Airport on 5 February 2019 from Europcar. I have booked 2 car seat. When I picked up the car there was only 1 car seat. I had to wait more than an hour for another car seat. Because of this, I can not get to Liverpool right on time and our family miss to enter the Liverpool stadium where we have purchased tickets online.

When I picked up the car, I did not check it properly the existing damages and I did not take a picture before and after. Because of my early morning flight to Amsterdam tomorrow, I had to return the car early in the morning at 6.30 am and drop the key in the provided box. This cheat company has sent me an email to charge extra for damages that I did not make. They claim the damages only at the rim alloy at the front left. This is not make sense as there is multiple existing damages at the front left side in the rental agreement. In the logic thinking, if there is minor collision happen at the left side of the car the damage will happen not only at tire rim alloy but also impact the others area for example left side front door and etc. Whether they do not properly record the existing damages or create new damage. As you see many of bad reviews from this company is cheat their customers money. Do not use this company service!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have rented a car from Frankfurt. I returned to Dusseldorf Airport. I have driven 550 km but company claims to be 2135 km. 261 euro was collected my credit card. Stay away from this company. They are not honest.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I rented my car and insurance package through Easyrentcars.com, however upon landing at Shannon airport I was told my insurance was not accepted by Europcar, Axa insurance. I was also told the car would not be released to me unless I bought their insurance but not to worry because I could get my original Insurance cost refunded through Easyrentcars. I was not refunded one single penny and Europcar basically said because I bought their insurance and signed they would not refund me either. They are modern day rip off artists and demand money after you disembark from a long flight. Do not use this company!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We used Europcar in Portugal in September 2018, as it was recommended to us by our travel agent. We had to pay 700 euros as a deposit, which would be refunded to us on the return of the vehicle. There was no damage to the vehicle recorded when we returned the vehicle, but up till today, we are still waiting for a refund, after continual queries to Europcar via our travel agent in South Africa. On numerous occasions, they informed our travel agent that they have either made the payment or will be making it soon, but no payment has been forthcoming yet. Any advice on the way forward will be appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

If there was a choice to select 0 stars this was gonna be my selection for this company! They think that they can play with people and steal money from them with their way which is by changing the rates at the last minute. This is a very big company and I didn't expect this unprofessionalism from them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

This company runs an elaborate fraud. I am surprised that they have not been prosecuted. Rented prepaid in Aug 18. Now in Feb 19 charged my card for different items and sent me a letter for yet a different charge. Obviously attempting to extract funds but surprised that UK government does not audit them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We rented from Rome airport and had the car a month. Four months after returning it they are trying to extort us for US $450 for damage to the rear panel of the car. Fortunately we had taken photos which prove the damage was there. I suspect they have attempted to charge others for the damage before and after our rental. They also have charged us "administration fees" for handling supposed violations we received while driving. Had we read the reviews posted, we never would have rented from them, so hopefully we can save others from their scams.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We from Australia, rented Europcar in London in April 2018. In Feb 2019, receive invoice from collection department mention we have 650 pounds outstanding for 60 days! Send the invoice to my email (my name to book), invoice charge to my hubby (he is the driver), but the invoice shows actual driver is another different name! When we call to Europcar UK, they told us a few details about this rental which definitely nonsense answer! The rent was January 2019. Rented in New Zealand. It is a company account, that's why they charge after rent.

Frist - when we rent the car, the staff always ask to have passport and driving license to proof that the booking is matching and always a credit card details in your booking. 2nd - How can you ask us to provide you all our passport page details to proof that we have never been to New Zealand!! We live in Australia. It is very common, if anyone of us travel to New Zealand? Travel to NZ doesn't mean we book their car! Of course, the main case is, we didn't travel to NZ. But they are not government/ border immigration, what is their right to ask us provide this high P&C details. If they can't even have a good system in invoicing & database!!

3rd - If it is a company account, why they simply send invoice to someone's Gmail. Gmail name & invoice name is personal name, not a company name. If a company account, should also have a proper credit account set up in their database!! 4th - If this rent happen in NZ, why the invoice come from UK?! Damn. This International Company really think that we are idiots that they can fool around!? Government should have take action to charge this company and protect us! I'm really seeking advice where should I go for this help. Seems like they are wasting our time to call overseas to sort of all this nonsense! SAY NO TO EUROPCAR!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Sneaky. Charged me 48 pounds 8 MONTHS after renting. I rented a Europcar via a third party. When I picked up the car they made me pay for a bunch of additional things I didn't want. Then I get an automatic charge on my credit card 8 MONTHS after renting the car. They said they forgot to charge me for something. Well, of course, how can I verify any of this. I didn't keep my paperwork from 8 months ago. A reputable company would have taken the small loss (if there was any, I can't tell) and moved on. Bad practices lose customers.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

FRAUDSTERS! SCAM ARTISTS! Reserved a car in Cuernavaca Mexico with this shady company. When I went to pick up the car they would not rent it to me unless I bought all kinds of unneeded insurance from them. I had already indicated that I need the Supplemental Liability coverage since US credit cards are not accepted in Mexico for that coverage. But US credit cards do cover all the CDW related coverage. In the past I never rented from these guys always going with their much better competitors but none of them had an office in Cuernavaca. STAY AWAY FROM Europcar if you know what is good for you!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

This company Europcar tricked me into signing for SCDW. On arrival at their desk Dublin Airport I was asked about insurance. I told the man at the desk that I had taken out my own excess insurance & I showed him the insurance policy but he still insisted I sign the form. No mention it was for excess insurance. When I returned home I noticed in very small print SCDW. I had to Google this to know what it was. I have contacted Europcar on several occasions since but no chance of my money back. Beware of this company & Don’t sign unless it is all explained to you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Warning to anyone thinking of booking a Europcar rental on line. I wish I'd read this website first, I see this scam is a common experience. I searched via a company called Auto Europe, needing to pick up a car in Cambridge for 6 days. The Europcar daily price was fine, about USD$30 a day. BUT - when I arrived at the depot, Europcar required me to pay for insurance cover - at a staggering 150 pounds, ie 50% MORE than the actual rental. They told me the Auto Europe website stated this fee. I checked later - not true. This is simply a classic scam. Europcar extracts money for nothing, once you have committed to the contract. I set out my complaint in writing to Europcar. I have just heard back from Jeanilyn at Europcar that because I signed for the car, the charge stands. I will start escalating by submitting a complaint to the UK consumer protection authority, and see how I go.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Hired a Fiat 500 from these people in France. Car was hidden under snow, woman at desk had a face like soured milk and despite returning the car with a topped full tank of petrol, received an invoice taken from my credit card for 9 litres of fuel and a refueling charge, all for me bothering to look after their dirty car and filling the tank. I will never hire from these people again, anywhere in the world.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Hired a car at Liverpool. Airport staff member could not be bothered coming to it with me. It was dark and raining. I noticed damage over the back wheel. Went back and told him. He wrote it on my agreement. Took it back 2 days later. Again staff couldn't be bothered looking at it. A few days later a notice of damage is sent to me (back end of the car near to what I had reported and unless you got on the floor it would not be noticeable). This was highly likely done at the time of the undocumented damage and I would definitely know if I had done it... They have refused to get into conversation with me. Every time I email they just send a copy of the terms & conditions. They have now sent an invoice for £298. I am disgusted... Never ever hire a car from this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Unethical behavior by Europcar in UK. I rented a Europcar through a third party and went to collect the car from the Bournemouth office. I was told by the Europcar agent that I could get a cheaper car by booking direct with Europcar. The third party booking stated no cost for cancelling. The Europcar agent phoned the third party and I cancelled the booking. The Europcar agent rebooked the car and before I paid again I asked him to show me on the computer that the third party booking had been cancelled. He told me Europcar had the money from the third party and assured me that Europcar would refund the payment by the third party to myself. The third party subsequently refused to refund my booking because it was cancelled on the day of booking and Europecar refuse to help me. So on the advice of a Europcar employee I have paid twice for a rental car. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Europacar will force you to buy their insurance even if you have already prepaid on other sites or have a credit card that covers insurance. I rented a car and prepaid $78 for it and paid another $33 for insurance. At the counter they refused to give me the car unless I paid them another $100 for insurance. They would not accept my credit card cover unless I gave them the entire policy from the credit card company- who carries that anyway??? DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

This is the worst company I have ever come across. Do NOT hire a car from them. I had thought ours was an isolated incident, however, having read the posts here I can see that this is their modus operandi. My husband and I hired a car in the summer and as the office was closed, we had to use a drop-off service. We left the car in perfect conditions and took photos of the outside of the car as proof of this. The next day we get an email saying everything is fine and we owe them nothing. Four days later we get a strange email saying they could take up to thousands of euros of our card for damage to the car. They gave no more explanations at this time.

Shocked and concerned, we phoned them, only to be told there was some unspecified ´cleaning´ damage to the car. We knew this was not the case and told them in fact we had received an email saying the car was fine. To say all of this spoiled the end of the holiday is no exaggeration. After about a month, and much insistence on our behalf, they send us some photos of the inside of a car which was not the one we had hired, with the front door pockets filled with dog food! We don't even have a dog and if we did, why we would empty the cans into them is anyone´s guess. In spite of writing repeatedly, we got no decent reply and sure enough, they took the money out. Never in my life have I felt so cheated. I had thought this was a respectable company. Save yourself the immense stress and avoid EVER using this company. They are an absolute disgrace.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Early January I booked a car via one of the many web crawlers with Europcar Cancun. As I am renting very regularly in Europe I have my own DWL insurance (on a yearly basis) which is valid worldwide and saves me quite a sum in premiums. It only implies a more expensive guarantee blocked on my card. (Which is returned in case of no damage.) Europcar Cancun implied my own DWL insurance was only valid with a handwritten and signed copy of the contract. As most paperwork now comes through the internet I could of course not provide this signed document. Furthermore they demanded an extraterrestrial deposit of 10000 USD (in Europe maximum 2000 USD).

A long story short: after an hour of negotiation I managed to reduce the 800+ USD extra insurance to 500USD which is still a rip off. My suggestion to all: 1st NEVER book Europcar, 2nd if by any accident you still booked with EUROPCAR CANCUN, walk away, no RUNAWAY. 3rd reduce your rental time to the strict minimum and go shopping elsewhere eg downtown. By dropping whatever rental fee you paid you will still be better off than letting them get away with the extra insurance premium. Also you will not feel screwed and ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I would never use UK Europcar Liverpool… I would never use UK Europcar Liverpool airport car hire depot again. Having travelled from New Zealand via Northern Ireland I had to wait over 90 minutes for my car to be cleaned prior to travelling south. I was not advised about the prepay system for crossing of the Silver Jubilee Bridge and on my return home to N.Z. I unexpectedly received a fine of GDP20 plus an additional demand from UK Europcar GDP40 (administration fee.) This information arrived by normal post and took weeks to get to me.

My complaints and emails were never answered fully. I was not able to make a bank transfer when using the banking numbers provided. These problems continued for months. Then I received another letter and this time from UK Europcar's debt collection agency. The fee had now doubled to GDP80. My advice for overseas travellers: "Do not use the Liverpool agency". If you do, check out the bridge toll payment system prior to your travels otherwise you will have an expensive experience when hiring from UK Europcar.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Booking and delivery of car was alright, but they charged us a month after the rental; claiming that the traffic police in Italy charged us! They charged 85GBP for admin!!! We are not even sure that there is a traffic charge. There is no telephone for customer service and emails are replied badly. AVOID this company.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I rented from the Calama El Loa Airport office. Upon pickup everything was fine. I had a agent who spoke English and briefly checked the car and marked down a few spots. Upon return it was a completely different story. The same agent who check me out, claimed he no longer spoke English and marked down three damages to the car which were definitely there before. He then asked me to sign paperwork that I had damaged the car and threatened to charge my card for damages in full if I did not sign and agree that I had made the damages.

He claimed microchips In the windshield which he found by spraying with water and looking at it 6" from the surface (which he did not do at checkout). He then claimed a dent which had been there and upholstery stains which had also been there. He attempted to negotiated down the damages. He then said, "Well you bought insurance (which he forced me to buy at pickup) so we will file a claim." I did not sign since I did not do the damages and now they have charged my card. They also presented the damages in Spanish so I had no idea what I was even signing. This was clearly a scam for them to file an insurance claim and they used the language barrier to intimidate me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This has been the worst experience in my life from all companies where I have ever rented a car. I made the booking online and got the price for a 7 day rental. I decided to go with a more expensive Mercedes c300 sedan. After waiting for over 1.5h in line to get to my car, I was rushed through the process, and end up getting a Mercedes Hatchback, being told it's what they have. I decided to agree, even though this was not what I expected. In the register I was told that if I return the car earlier, my daily rate will be recalculated and I will be entitled to a refund. I rented the car in Melbourne, and returned it in Sydney. Since I had arrived to my destination earlier I decided to return the car one day earlier, to get some money back. I return the car, and are told by the guy that final invoice will come and that all should be good. Imagine my surprise when I end up paying more for 6 days than I was supposed to pay for 7 days.

After many calls with customer support, it was explained to me that I should be reading the fine print in the terms and conditions. Since I returned it earlier I had less free miles available, and was therefore charged for driving too many miles. But not only that, my daily rate was adjusted, but at a rate that actually made my entire booking more expensive. So to sum up, I used their car one day less, returned it in perfect condition, but was charged more. Would I have known that I would never have returned the car earlier. I agree that I should have probably paid more attention to the fine print in the terms of conditions, but you don't expect a serious company to be scamming their customers. I will never use Europcar again and recommend everyone to stay away.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We hired a VW Passat or "similar" online for a "guaranteed price" of £1200. We did not take out any extra insurance as had already bought comprehensive travel insurance. When my husband arrived at the Europcar depot at Heathrow he was offered the choice of two cars. Neither was a Passat so he assumed the two models offered were "a similar" car. The man never told him that the Kia Sportage was £335 dearer than the car we'd booked. My husband was given the keys and signed for them without reading all the fine print on the contract. After all, who would after having just got off a 27 hour flight from the other side of the world, and we'd already been guaranteed a price by email.

It was only once we'd got our VISA bill did we discover we'd been charged for an upgrade plus extra insurance - nearly £900 pounds more than so-called guaranteed price!! At nearly £2100 for just 3 weeks, we might as well have bought an old car. If a company changes your contract, surely they are morally obliged to tell you. The man at Heathrow never told us about the upgrade cost or the extra insurance. I was put on hold for nearly 1 1/2 hours trying to talk to Customer Service, and after multiple emails they are refusing any refund. We would NEVER use Europcar again - they are dishonest scammers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Terrible. FRAUD ALERT. THESE PEOPLE AT EUROPCAR KEEP CLIENTS' CC DETAILS THEN BILL YOU A FEW MONTHS LATER for processing alleged PCN. These people keep your credit card info to bill you much later for processing alleged PCNs. They messed up my credit card. I had no balance owned on my credit card. Europcar charged my CC a fee of £40. When I called them to ask them what was that about, the lady agent could not even tell me. She said it was tax for having hired a car a couple of months ago. Didn't make sense to me that Europcar bill their clients tax 8 weeks after the hire. Then the agent did not know what to say when I told her it made no sense that tax was charged 2 months after having rented and returned the car in perfect condition.

After much calling them and digging, they finally told me that they charged my CC because of admin fee for processing a PCN I had received when I had rented their car. Seriously? Is it even legal that they keep their clients' credit card number? I have used them a few times, even when abroad I used them, I even sent my friends to hire from them. I am no longer their customer and I am also taking my friends with me. And now I will be telling the whole world what they do so people know the fraud they do. They have no right to keep clients' CC on file and take money out of their account whenever they feel like it and then tell you that they had to process a PCN therefore they charged your CC £40.

I will never use Europcar whether here in the UK or abroad and I will make sure no one I know uses them and of course, I will carry on spreading the word and their fraud so people know what to expect from them at any time after having rented their car. BEWARE OF EUROPCAR, THEY WILL MESS UP YOUR CC. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I booked an Alfa-Romeo Stelvio few weeks in advance from Geneve Airport, French section. Then one week before the rental date I was contacted by an agent who told me that this particular car was broken and he offered me few options from which I had chosen VOLVO XC90 with winter tires for 700 Euro more and even received the confirmation from the agent by e-mail.

However when I came to the Europcar office on the rental day nobody could find the confirmation or modified booking. So instead I was offered Mercedes GLA for the same price however it is smaller than Stelvio. Even more, when I came to give back the car to the return station in Geneva, there was nobody at the reception desk, so I parked the car and proceeded to the airport to give back the keys. After a few minutes on my way I met a guy from Europcar to whom I gave in the keys. And finally when I received the invoice I noticed that the check-in time was fixed 30 minutes after I parked the car and was charged an extra full day for this 30 minutes. Even more, when I received the car the tank was not fully filled and at a petrol station I only noticed that the tank cup was not fixed.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Europcar Heathrow Airport - Hired a car. Are now being told that I damaged a tire when it is clearly evident from the noted existing damage to the rim and photos they provided that the tire damage was existing damage that occurred when the rim was damaged. No mention of the tire damage they noted on return was made to me when I returned the car. Extremely unprofessional, and what appears to be targeted claims of damage to customers that do not take up the sales pitch for pay additional insurance. Appears from other review this behaviour is not isolated to this depot. Customer Services have been very slow in responding and powerless to rectify an obvious issue.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Ordered a manual car online, they said they had one in stock and took the money. Got to the airport only to be told they don't have any manual cars and they admitted that they only say they do just to get the order!! Refused to give a $2000+ refund despite lying just to get a sale. They said offering an automatic was like for like and that was their excuse for not refunding the money. MAYBE THERE WAS A REASON FOR ORDERING A MANUAL CAR!!! Would never use this bunch of thieves again!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I hired a car 2 months ago and have been dealing with the claims department since. A dreadful experience, very poor customer service an unfair claims of damage to the vehicle's windscreen. 2 months on they charged my credit card over $420 to replace a windscreen due to 'damage'. 3 very minor marks that they claim impair the driver's vision, these marks are less than 2mm in size and are not in the driver's vision, they are not chips or indenting the windscreen in any way. Their inspection personnel also drew circles on the windscreen to try exaggerate the damage but the photos clearly show no marks within the circles drawn. VERY POOR PRACTICE! They also won't provide evidence of the windscreen replacement as it's obvious they are billing customers for replacements and not physically replacing the windscreen.

Europcar Company Information