3.8/5 (592 ratings)

About Europcar

Europcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Europcar?

Original review: June 7, 2022

Europcar seems more affordable than other rental companies but they will charge you hidden fees to make up for it. I recently rented a car at Edinburgh airport for 900 GBP. I received an invoice for 1100. The difference is a surprise "premium rental station" charge that was never disclosed. I am disputing charges with my credit card company. Beware.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Europcar erroneously charged my credit card $500 linked to a reservation that wasn't even mine, about 5 months after the reservation occurred. For the last 3 months I have tried tirelessly to have them revert this charge, proved that it wasn't my reservation, opened several cases and made over a dozen calls. It's been an absolute black hole of time. While the customer service reps agree there has been an error made, they always tell me they will forward it on to another team to fix and then I NEVER HEAR BACK. I am at an absolute loss here of what more I can do. People, rent with other providers even if they have a higher daily rate. In this case my dad made a reservation under his name and his credit card, and when we picked up the car I paid the extra charge of having a second driver (me) and since then Europcar has been charging me, with the erroneous charges starting 5 months after my dad's reservation was completed. WTF.

Europcar - if you are reading this, here are a few of my case numbers. How nice it would be to you guys to actually respond and correct this egregious error.

Case #**

Original review: June 1, 2022

Tried to ruin the trip in Puerto Vallarta. Bought Expedia car with extra insurance but still wanted an extra 200 a day for more insurance, totally a scam. Shame on Expedia for selling this crappy car rental at Europcar, had to walk to another place.

Original review: May 31, 2022

My husband & I was in Amsterdam (Netherlands). We rented a car with Europcar. We had car for three days. Car was driven only on the highway, driven about 100 kilometers. There was no problem anywhere but when we returned the car one of their employee came & told us, "You scratched the car." We showed that it is dirt not the scratch. We took a picture & left. After coming home in 3 weeks we got the bill for €1536.67. I can’t believe this people can do this. They advised us that, "You have insurance. Go to them, they will pay us, you don’t have to worry." I STRONGLY recommend DO NOT RENT With this company. They are defrauding the insurance company, credit card company & the CUSTOMERS. The company is cheating with everyone.

Original review: April 22, 2022

At the time of returning the car, there was minor chip on the windscreen. I was advised by the person at the reception, that any windscreen damages were covered as part of the rental/insurance agreement and asked me to sign the undertaking. Few weeks later I was sent a bill for $250. I escalated the matter to claims department but was told very bluntly to refer to rental agreement and pay the bill. This in my view is misrepresentation and bad customer service.

Original review: April 21, 2022

They allow you to book but then they cancel so you can book another car and too at expensive prices. I had this experience almost 5 years ago and now the YouTube TD also suffered the same thing. I dont know why the company is still functional.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Europcar will show up as a little cheaper until you are at the counter. After being kind they tell you your personal, Credit Card Supported or Third Party extra insurance you may have purchased from Expedia, Orbitz, etc does not cover your rental. You are then stuck, you have to buy their high priced insurance or walk away and pay walk up prices at another company which are extravagant. I can’t believe they can exist. Go somewhere, anywhere else to rent a car or get prepared to be professionally and calculatedly screwed.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I rented a car in Bath UK for a 3 day trip around Wales. On day 2 I had a tire blow out on a country road in Wales. As per company policy I called Europcar and they connected me to their emergency tire service. I also told them I was more than willing to pay for any costs. On a side note they have no spare or jack in the car. The tire repair company made me sit on the side of the road for 4 hours before telling me that no one will come out. They informed me that they wouldn't be able to help me. I asked them what I was to do and they said we don't know. I called other emergency service companies and they informed me that they couldn't service Europcar vehicles. I almost thought my wife and I would have to stay overnight on the top of the mountain in 8 degree Celcius weather. Luckily, a wonderful couple drove us to a town 10 miles away. It was a Sunday so I had to wait until the morning to go to the local garage and arrange a repair.

Unfortunately they didn't have the proper size tire and had to order a new one which would be delivered the next day. I called the location where I rented the car, told them of our dilemma, and was promised I wouldn't be charged late charges. I got the car back 30 hours late. That was not the truth. The original cost was $209.27, they charged me $591.83. Furthermore, the agent I returned the car to said he wasn’t able to provide me with an invoice and that I would only be charged the same rate as the original rental agreement. Also a lie. I have tried disputing the charges to no avail. There is a real possibility that the tire was damaged prior to me renting the car. The blow out occurred on the wall of the tire facing underneath the car. So not only did I have to pay extra for the rental but $250 for a tire which might not be my fault. Counting canceled train tickets, hotel reservations, changing flight reservations I am out over $1,000.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Be aware. They will try to scam you on insurance telling you the visa doesn't cover insurance. When provided with proof they canceled my car. Wanted 550us extra. Big scam. This was in Mexico at Cancun airport March 22 2022.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Unfortunate incident with a small chip on the windscreen of the hire car. Not really a problem, happy to take responsibility and pay for the repair. However, Europcar took the lazy option and had the entire screen replaced, totally unnecessarily. I called their repairer as a retail customer and they told me a screen replacement was unnecessary for a chip the size of a one-dollar coin, spoke to NOVUS who agreed with that also and I even spoke with the former state manager of NOVUS who says it's a standard response from fleet companies to replace whether it needs to be or not.

I have requested to speak to someone in charge of this but no one has called. Basically, a small stone chip will cost me just over $1,000. I should have had it fixed myself for $90 with NOVUS and they would have been none the wiser. Once again, I'm happy to face my responsibility but refused to be ripped off corporate ** style. Avoid them, I know me and my company haven't used them since.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Be aware, the people at the front desk will say anything to get you to pay more or trick you. I rented in Lisbon and was told by rental agent that the toll device in the car would track my charges which I could then pay with my credit card. Next thing I know, Europcar is charging me a $30 per charge handling fee on top of the tolls. Be Aware of these guys!

Original review: March 15, 2022

I hired a car from Luton Airport pick up 24th Feb 2022. My booking was connected to my flight which was due to land at 1650 hours. I went through passport control which took 45 minutes, collected my luggage and proceeded by the bus to the Europcar pick up point. I arrived about 1825 hours and it was closed. Luckily for me the receptionist was just about to leave after “waiting for me”. I explained that I had no idea the desk closed and that I came straight from the flight. He told me there would be an after-hours fee of £60 which I disputed. He assured me he would “waive” this amount. However, it was charged to my agreement which I signed after (I should have checked). After I arrived at the desk two other people also arrived.

I emailed Customer services to dispute this charge but it was not accepted (despite me being told it would be “waived”). I asked Customer services to check with their receptionist which I guess they didn’t. I have been a customer of Europcar for over 10 years and regularly hire vehicles and always find the staff and service excellent. This is the first issue I ever had and I feel completely let down by the company. I am a single person travelling – what would I have done if the Receptionist was not there. From a company point of view, they could have tried to call me to see if I was coming. I have been a loyal customer all these years, but somehow it's not reciprocated and as customers we are just a number. I appreciate they said the office was shut but if the booking is connected to a flight there should be a procedure to ensure clients are managed well and able to collect their car when they have booked one.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

Poor customer service and misleading pricing. Quoted price. Accepted and booked offer. Received voucher stating the final price incl. all fees & taxes. When picking up the vehicle (exhausted from no sleep after early am flight, and lengthy period spent at customs & baggage claim), the employee, who spoke as little English as we did Spanish, told us we needed to put a deposit on the vehicle OR purchase extra insurance. We chose the deposit and signed the paperwork given to us in Spanish. When the credit card bill arrived, we realized we had been charged 5x the agreed amount of the voucher.

Also; shortly after receiving the car, we found ourselves stranded with a flat tire. Unable to reach Europcar with the number we were provided with, the police officer who found us, went above and beyond the call of duty to help us change the damaged tire. He recommended we replace the tire, as the other back tire was as dangerously damaged as the one just blown, and he didn’t want us stranded once again with no spare. We paid for a replacement tire at our expense and immediately notified Europcar of the incident, a copy of the receipt and request for refund via email.

We have tried many times to contact them about this to no avail. We were told several times; they were looking into this and would get back to us but never did. When we returned the vehicle, and the damaged tire we had replaced, the salesman promised us he would send us an email with form to submit for refund of tire and overpayment. We were shuffled quickly into the shuttle to take us back to the airport, and the email we were promised was never received.

Never, not ever, again. Do not risk renting from Europcar Costa Rica – Beautiful Country, wonderful people, but this company has not shown us they care about our welfare. They have been deceitful with the information they presented, then took advantage of us when we were at our most vulnerable, and not on equal footing to fully understand what they are doing. The worst is that they will not take the time to remedy any errors which have occurred or negotiate a reasonable solution that is fair to both of us.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I hired a car from Europcar at Alicante on November 9th last year. When I hired the car, via the internet, I hired it on the basis of Third Party Insurance Cover. When I arrived at the Europcar desk in the Airport the staff member I dealt with wanted to charge me €257 for a ten day hire period or over €25 a day for an upgrade from Third Party to Comprehensive Insurance. In Ireland where insurance costs are high, one would have had to pay at most €300 annually for this type of upgrade. I refused to pay this this as it was clearly a rip off.

When I went to the Parking Lot to collect the vehicle, my wife and I noticed a mark or scratch (about 10 centimeters) on the front bumper of the car and we both pointed it out to the girl, who handed the vehicle, before we took possession of it. There were what appeared like six blemishes or existing cases of small damage listed on the invoice and as could see no other clearly visible damage we foolishly assumed this mark, which was the only one we could anyway, was listed 'in the system'. The mark was clearly visible and how it could not have been listed in the system is baffling.

To make a long story they charged me over €300 Euros for a scratch 10 centimeters long, which is an outrageous figure, even if I had been responsible for the damage. I am very disappointed with this kind of service and I will never deal with these people again. Meanwhile, I have also ascertained that some Irish Car Insurance Policies cover you for any car you hire in Spain or any part of Europe anyway, so clarify this before you hire any car anywhere in Europe.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

Hi, we rented from Hotwire for Europcar. We took a shuttle from the airport and then the runaround started. Our reservation through hotwire was for a small car, it was supposed to be $432 (5 days). I got there and it was basically a negotiation. Started off with a lie about the fact that Allianz is not accepted in Costa Rica. I paid through insurance through hotwire. Then it went on and they tried to get me to take an SUV that was twice the price, then they said that we would need a 5000 deposit in some cases, $1000 deposit in the case they were trying to push me towards. They offered me some discounts when we were leaving. But never came close to my hotwire pricing. It was some grade A 3rd world country runaround. Don't rent here.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Made a car rental reservation a few months in advance of family trip. One week prior to family trip, Europcar informed me that my reservation had been canceled due to new in-country covid policies. There were no new in-country covid policies, and they refused to reply when I called them out on it. What actually happened was that they continued trying to rent the car I had reserved for a high price, and when they were able to get a higher price they canceled on me. By time they canceled, getting another car elsewhere was 3x more expensive (i.e., a few thousand dollars more). They literally ruined our family vacation, didn't honor our reservation, and lied about the reason for canceling. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Don't rent from Europcar in the USA. They used to be such a good company, but now can't organize themselves out of a cardboard box! We rented a car from Europcar in Miami for a visit to the USA. Upon arrival, I took my family and our luggage 20 minutes all the way to the car rental building across the airport to find.... NO OFFICE FOR EUROPCAR AND NO SIGNS OR INFORMATION.

I found a phone number online for Europcar Miami and got only a recording with "Welcome to Fox Car Rental." There were two options: get their address (recorded) and directions from Miami airport (recorded). These directions sent us outside to bus stop 1 (hardly labeled at all, no sign that says Europcar or Fox Car Rental). Finally, we arrive at Fox and get our car, only to find that road tolls are not included, as they had been on our last visit to Miami three years before. So, after paying more than originally agreed to include Florida road tolls, we leave with our rented car.

When we return the car, I walked in to ask here the shuttle picks up, unloaded our luggage and returned the car. And waited. And waited. Speaking with the attendants there was unhelpful. I received no explanation as to why the shuttle had driven by us without stopping after we had been waiting 20 minutes. Further discussion ultimately led to an unproductive disagreement over how long we had been waiting. After too many requests for shuttle, we ultimately booked an uber to the airport so as not to miss our flight. I read online that this merger/acquisition happened more than 2 years before. Enough time to get some signage sorted out in the airport and a running shuttle!!! TERRIBLE COMMUNICATION AND AWFUL SERVICE! Bye, bye Europcar USA for me.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Don't rent a car with Europcar in Jamaica! I reserved a car with them through Expedia and they did not honor the reservation. This added expense, stress and inconvenience to my short trip and provided a poor first impression of Jamaica. I waited 45 minutes for someone to come to the desk only to be told there was no car. I suggested I could come back tomorrow and asked what time. They gave me a time and referred me to an expensive taxi when I asked for a recommendation.

When I came back the next day there was still no car for me and the service representative was completely unhelpful and unconcerned. The customers in front of me returning their car complained that the car was in poor repair. Finally I just walked away and the company I ended up renting a car with, for twice as much, explained that the reservation was too good of a deal - $330 for six days - that the company will give priority to anyone who offers more money, regardless of reservations. As two women with two children travelling on our own in Jamaica we were depending on the reservation and we did not appreciate the poor service and resulting huge inconvenience.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Do not rent from this company. The worst experience ever in renting a vehicle. They rip you off. I have a charge in my credit card for $150 extra of what saying that it was for winter equipment. I never get a "winter equipment". Never ask and they never offer me. When I call customer service they said bill is close that they can't do nothing. I rent online a Nissan Quest or similar Minivan. When I went to pick up the vehicle they give me a station wagon and they said is same thing. Very disappointed with this company. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR. DO NOT RENT. You going to be misarable if you do it.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My reserved car was not available, but a more expensive one was. From other reviews it seems this is a routine practice - bait and switch. My $400 car ended costing $1500 with added insurance coverage.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I returned the car on a day off and the office was closed so after 2 days they deducted 800 Euros from my credit card claiming there is a scratch on the driver door and they refused to show me the car when I went to face them.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I recently rented a car in Costa Rica from Europcar thru Booking.com for a week. I prepaid for the rental a week before my arrival. When I arrived to pick up my car, they demanded extra insurance despite the fact that my Visa Signature credit card covered the car insurance. Not wanting to ruin my vacation, I agreed to move on. BUT... IT AIN'T OVER YET! I just returned and checked my credit card statement and these hooligans charged me AGAIN (double-charged) for the week upon returning Costa Rica. Booking.com will not take responsibility. Europcar absolutely refuses to acknowledge the DOUBLE charge stating boldly despite all the credit statement and booking evidence I provided them!! These guys are ** SCAM ARTISTS! STAY AWAY FROM EUROPCAR!!! They ruin vacations!!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I live in US and reserved this off of Expedia. The cost was $400 for the week and when I arrived to Guayaquil Ecuador - the cost was then $800 for the week PLUS $30 a day for GPS PLUS $1000 deposit that I was promised 5 days after my car return. When I brought the car back - they charged me another $200 for going over the miles. I was never told about that I had to stay under - and I’ve been back for almost 3 weeks now and still haven’t gotten my $1000 back and they don’t even have a phone number you can talk to anyone - the person through email said I have to wait 30 business days to get my deposit back. DON'T RENT FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I received a phone call from them after 30 minutes of reservation, saying they have to cancel my reservation. I did not receive refund within 1 month, so I called them only to receive answer they were not going to reimburse anything.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

VERY VERY BAD - AWFUL EXPERIENCE!!! Read this entire review and save yourself a lot of money and wasted time on them!!! Used them for our Cabo San Lucas vacation - was for a pre-paid reservation at the their SJD airport location. We "pre-paid" for 2-week rental and insurance thru Orbitz back in March of 2021 [before the news told us prices were going up like crazy] for a November 2021 vacation. They stated they would not honor the pre-paid rental, and, of course, they would not honor the pre-paid car insurance. Insisted that we take their free upgrade [which means higher cost for their car insurance] to a larger car and crazy high prices on the car insurance!

Absolutely worst car rental experience that I have ever ever ever dealt with in over 40+ years of my life! Not a way to start a vacation. Took way way too long to actually perform the car rental transaction itself. AND, they insisted that they put an additional $1200 credit hold on top of the $1300 car rental charge - so over $2500 to rent a car ... still waiting on the $1200 hold to come off. AND, they insisted that the only way to save any money was to go through a "timeshare presentation" for 90-minutes and we would qualify for a $300 credit back ----> but must show proof that we attended the timeshare presentation [at least they serve us breakfast].

I would not recommend them [or Fox Car Rental - the 1st name of the company that I booked with ... now goes by Europcar]. I almost forgot, we have to now go back to Orbitz and get them to refund our money - Europcar would not initiate the refund of our Orbitz Pre-Paid car & insurance fees ---> ANOTHER RIP-OFF!!!! NOT RECOMMENDED. SCAMMER | RIP-OFF | STAY AWAY!!!! They should not be in business - this really sucks!!!! Just Awful!!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

AMERICAN BUYERS BEWARE!!! Rented a car from Fox and they are partnered with Europcar in Mexico. In both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta they will force you to take more insurance than legally required in Mexico. Over $300 in insurance for a week. Do not use this company. Their service is terrible, with old cars that have dents all over. Their pricing does not reflect your final bill, which is certainly going to skyrocket when they gouge you on insurance. You have been warned.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I returned my car to Catania airport in july 2021 in perfect conditions. Regardless, they charge me for damages that were not there. I tried to resolve this despicable incident with my bank, but in vain. Later on, I have received a bill for $ 800ca. I live in the US therefore I could not be in Italy/Europe during the alleged rental. Immediately my bank refused the transaction from these crooks. They should revoke their license permanently.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Catania Airport Location. The agent cancelled my reservation as I did not have an international driver's license for a 5 day rental. My rental was pre-paid. I had to get a rental from Sixt for 40% more money for a lesser vehicle. There happened to be other Americans at Sixt with the same issue with Europcar as mine. I trust this is a local issue with Europcar. I have written the company, but after three weeks, there has been no response.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I had a reservation with Europcar, but they did not honor the reserved price when I picked up the car. They tripled the cost of the insurance. That meant they were one of the most expensive rental companies and not a good deal at all.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Fraud. At Europcar counter the clerk agrees with you on extras if any and then makes you sign the contract electronically. The contract then includes several additionals that you specifically rejected, such as full insurance.

Europcar Company Information