1.18/5

199 Choice Hotels - Econolodge Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

"Incidental" charges scam. Choice Hotels' policy reserves right for refunds of false incidental room charges to the individual. Hotel manager who is always "unavailable" or "just left". Out of state travelers especially avoid this hotel. $150 extra charge is worth staying somewhere nice.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Andrew! Thank you for taking the time to reach out. It's disappointing to hear about the billing troubles you're experiencing We'd like to investigate further. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2019

This was a bad experience for my family. When we arrived there the lady and man at the front desk are rude as can be. The place smells like urine everywhere you walk, trash cans overflowing, puke by one of them, pool nasty, room had black hairs all over the bedding, air conditioner didn't work in one room, hole in wall, door did not latch very good, urine on floor in room, floors were nasty - looked like they haven't been cleaned in a year. The place looked like a drug place. They will double charge you especially if you reserve with a different card than the one you pay with. Do not believe the pictures that you see on the website because I tell you it's not the same hotel. If you don't have to stay at this place go to the nicer hotels down the road from this nasty place. There is no telling what you will leave this hotel with. Thank God we found a nicer place down the road.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Oh no, Stephanie! I appreciate you reaching out to share the feedback on this experience. The conditions you and your family had arrived to are not in line with our expectations outlined for partners in their franchise agreements. We hope to follow up with you to address with hotel ownership more appropriately for improvement. When you have a moment, would you send a message with the confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, and full name listed on the reservation? Chat soon! *Julio

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 17, 2019

Worst experience ever, Econolodge Tampa on Busch. ** hang out all day and night, someone had a bowel movement all over the stairs, people were doing drugs out in the open. I couldn’t wait to check out. You can’t tell me that management doesn’t know about the illegal activity because it’s out in the open. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anybody. My worst experience ever! Be aware. Pictures make the place look nice. It’s not in person.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hello Micheal! Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. It is disappointing to hear about the poor conditions of the hotel ground. What you described does not meet the standard we expect our trusted brands to uphold. My team would like to document your experience and notify the individual owner. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: June 27, 2019

I booked for 3 nights at Econolodge Downtown Ottawa through Choice Properties for July and received a confirmation for 2 persons. I called Choice Hotels and was told that the only way out is to cancel the transaction completely and then do another one. I received a cancellation email from Choice and Econolodge with cancellation number: ** with cancellation date: Tuesday Jun 18, 2019 and reservation confirmation number: **. A new reservation was then made by me. Looking at my credit card transactions later, I was surprised to see 3 charges rather than one.

I called Choice Properties 3 times to resolve this matter but it appears that their customer service suffers from lack of professionalism. Having stayed at Econolodge in Nashville in the past and booking through Choice Privileges, I thought that I was in good hands. Never knew that things have changed. The two hospitality companies seem to be out for money grab and scam. Please keep in mind that I am even yet to lodge at this hotel and I am being given this impression. It is sad, frustrating and disappointing. As a frequent traveller, it will be my last time of going through Choice Privileges or staying at Econolodge anywhere in North America.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Wow, Francis! It upsets us to learn that you didn't feel taken care of as a member. We hear you and regret that we could not meet your expectations. When guaranteeing reservations, a charge may be applied to the payment method once confirmed. Your feedback on this aspect of the booking process is insightful and will be used to inspire improvements. If you'd like us to follow up, our messages are open. Thank you for your loyalty and patronage throughout the years. Have a great weekend! *Julio

Original review: June 23, 2019

Charged my credit card for $122 for a dark, dirty dreary room. Salvation Army has better furniture. Dirty toilet bowl... Pubic hairs on floor. Painted over chrome stopper in tub, corroded faucet on sink, grey dirty, supposed to be white towels. Two lamps with 40 watt bulbs. Floor lamp no bulb. Carpet filthy. The bed was DAMP... Was it from urine or what? Called for reservation was told 'booked up' for advertised price of $66 a night. Called Hotels.com and WOW A ROOM AVAILABLE! Only $122 a night. Had appointments with realtor so booked it. Checked into room at 2:30 left at 5:30. The damp order was overwhelming. Econo Lodge says my refund has to go to EXPEDIA credit card American Express NOT MINE!! Third party booking they say. THIS IS A BIG SCAM! OVERCHARGE FOR A ROOM IN A BUILDING THAT NEEDS TO BE HIT BY A CRANE AND KNOCKED DOWN. Old and dirty piece of crap hotel!

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi there, Concetta. Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns with us. It's true that any refund processed has to go back to the 3rd party you booked through, and they'll refund you on the card you used to pay for the room. We'd still like to make sure your feedback is shared with our field staff though. Please send us a private message with your reservation details, as well as your mailing address, email, and phone number when you have a chance. We hope to hear from you soon! - Kayla P.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: June 8, 2019

Myself, my fiancé and my nephews were going to a concert and this Econolodge was close to the concert. So we thought we’d stay there. We came into our room at 10 pm went to bed. Woke up and left at 9am. I made sure I made the beds and cleaned it well so there was no problems getting my security deposit of 50$. We went outside to smoke cigarettes since it’s a smoke free establishment. And that I liked. No one likes to have a smelly room. When I tried to get my security deposit back. The lady at the front desk who went to check out the room said it smelled of smoke. And we never smoked in it. That fifty dollars was our gas money to get home. We’re all adults and I’m positive no one smoked in the room. So I was annoyed she wouldn’t give the cash back. So I asked for a manager to go check.

She didn’t speak English and she said it did also. Which doesn’t make sense to me. And refused to give the deposit back. And I was furious. That was all the cash we had to get home. I had to wait 4 hrs for someone to wire me money to get home. I just can’t believe how ignorant they were to us. And how they acted towards myself. They threatened to call the police because I said I wasn’t leaving until I got the deposit back. But I wasn’t going to have to deal with police over it. That’s ridiculous. I’m so disappointed in how I was treated. What a joke.

I advise be wary of any Econolodge to everyone. When I finally got the money wired to me. I told a cashier at a gas station what happened. And she even said it happened to her sister at the same hotel. Please make this right and refund my deposit. And to top everything off someone two doors down overdosed on drugs and ems and cops also were there for quite a while making noise and it was hard to sleep. Terrible experience.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, Joshua. We can certainly understand why you would be upset about this, as this is not the level of service we strive to deliver. We'd like to look into this more for you. Please send us a private message with your reservation details, as well as your mailing address, email, and phone number, and we'll get started. We look forward to hearing more from you again soon. - Kayla

Original review: May 28, 2019

My family of 5 (including children and an 8 month old) stayed at the Econolodge on 8700 S Orange Blossom Trl, Orlando, FL. I booked 2 nights on Memorial weekend 2019 (Just this weekend). This hotel was roach infested, from the first room (2216) - we called concierge to complain and they provided a key card to a second room, which was exactly like the first. The gentleman who brought the key cards did not even bother to offer help to move from one room to another, did not bother to take a look at the roach problem or even to clean up the leak from the mini fridge. Once we moved to the second room (3217), same thing, roaches, we called concierge from our cell phones, because the phone in the room did not work. Concierge advised that there were no more rooms available, we tried to find another hotel but unfortunately other hotels were booked due to the holiday weekend (even Motel8!).

I am beyond words for the disgusting rooms, the lack of customer service, as NO ONE even bothered to come up to the room to check and make sure that the room was fine once we moved. We had to purchase our own blankets and purchase our own cleaning products to be able to even try and sleep in the room, we ended up splitting between some of us sleeping in our vehicle in the parking lot and some staying in the room. I do not understand how ANY establishment that is meant for vacations or to take trips, etc. is run in this fashion, for even choicehotels.com to have awarded them any type of award is unfathomable. At check-out the woman at the counter (I will not post names) stated that there were no notes at all in the system of the initial complaint of roaches. Again, lack of... She did state that she would leave fully notated to the managers so that I could get a full refund.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Katherine, We can only imagine how frustrated you must have been having to change rooms to the same condition. At Choice Hotels, we pride ourselves in clean and comfortable rooms. Sounds like we felt short of this, and we are truly regretful. We would be happy to look into this matter with our franchisee directly. Please send us a private message with your confirmation number, your Choice Privileges Member ID and associated email. Well get back with you. Thanks for choosing Choice Hotels, Cathy

Original review: May 6, 2019

To begin on May 4, 2019 I contacted Choice to redeem some points and to book a room for my daughter and wife birthday weekend. Representative by the name of Lynn assisted me in doing so. She found and booked a room at the Econolodge at 2061 Gulf to Bay Blvd Clearwater Beach FL. Lynn told me that my card will not be charged until check in at which I received a call early Saturday morning from ** the front desk clerk at Econolodge. ** called stating that he was attempting to charge my card to reserve the room but the funds was insufficient at which I already knew that. I was transferring funds to that card on Saturday morning. ** stressed to me that I would not have a room if I did not have funds on my card by 4 pm. That was taken care of ASAP by me. (Quick transfer)...

I in return told ** that I'm bringing my family consisting of my 4 month daughter. I stressed to him just as he did about my money on my card. "Please make sure the room is in order and not full of bed bugs, etc." ** reassured me that he would walk through himself. After arriving around 5 pm we checked put our bags in the room and went out for family time. Upon returning to the hotel room me and my son chose to sleep out on the sofa bed and play video games. We pulled the pullout sofabed out and ???? the mattress looked as if it was it into a fillet and zip tied back together you could clearly see from one side to the other. I have multiple pictures. I in return went to the front desk at which now ** was the desk clerk. I showed him the pictures and at first asked for a different room. He said, "No there are no empty rooms available" which was false. 219 above us was empty.

I then asked to just allow me to do the labor and just swap mattresses. He said no again rudely. I then called Choice and spoke with Scott. He in return tried to solution it and compromise with the front desk. Still answer was no, only thing he offered was a sheet or a 15% refund and find another hotel. Mind you it's 12 midnight and I had my 4 month old daughter. After going back and forth I was on the phone for a second time with Choice looking to relocate. As I walked into the room (121) the phone rang (** front desk), "You have 15 minutes to pack and get out." Raging at me (you called and reported us I want you out..!!) "I'm calling the police..." I in return said, "Please do call the police. Please I would like to have my refund as well please and I will wait for law enforcement."

After discussing the issue with officer S **, he advised me of other hotels and states that he would be upset too if he had a mattress that looked like that. Nowww... instead of refunding me my 121.81 ** charged me a second time on my debit card and tried to deny the fact even after seeing and hearing my online automated teller with Bank of America... Me and family was out 'til 3 am looking for another hotel ripped off out of 121.81 twice at which later to find out 1 refund of 121.81 was reimbursed at 2:40 am.

The biggest issue is I had my newborn baby and no one at Choice call center offered any kind of assistance to relocate us after we went through Choice to establish our visit. I am very disappointed with Choice for even sponsoring such a low life hotel and to not even offer me and my family any kind of assistance or compensation. Sad sad sad... ** was my confirmation number. It was an experience I wish upon no one. Look the hotel up on Google and Travelocity. I have posted pictures there as well. Hotels such as these have no business being open at all.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi, Winston. Thank you for detailing this experience. It's unfortunate to learn that the level of housekeeping and staff performance left more to be desired. We expect our partners to uphold the standards outlined in their franchise agreement. If I were in this situation, I would be just as frustrated with this turn of events. To continue our follow up could you send the confirmation number and your contact information associated with the booking? We will be looking out for your reply. *Julio

Original review: May 2, 2019

I booked a room at the Econo Lodge in Niagara Falls Ont for the 27th and 28th of April. When we arrived at 830 pm on the 27th we were told that the lodge would be closed the following day and we would be relocated to an area that would cost us 30+ to cab to and from. We were blown away that we didn't get any notification before this and felt like we should have been contacted in transit.

The front desk told us we could take it or leave and find something else. Being exhausted we took the first night but had to find a different place to stay the second night to avoid ridiculous cab fares. We asked about any compensation and were told there would be no compensation for travel since we could leave our car on the parking lot, so we could have parked there just on our anniversary. We couldn't have a drink because we would not have to drive.

We contacted Choice Hotels and were placed in a closer hotel, in the Falls are, for the same rate, but it was not dictated to us that there was a $18 parking charge for the second hotel. When I raised concerns I was told this information should have been disclosed but they would not waive it now at check out. All in all our experience with Choice Hotels was not good and we won’t be booking with this chain anymore. All we had was hassle and extra cost. We were without a place to go for 4 hours between check out at one location and check in at the other. We requested that since the move was not our issue we could get an early check in and were told that's not the way it worked.

We were told to contact customer service who basically said the reservation and booking were finalized after check in and we would not be compensated for our awful experience, but they could give me Choice points if I sign up for a Choice membership and I can get so much towards my next stay... even after I asked why I would ever stay with Choice again after this experience. I was forwarded into the Choice membership line anyways and hung up from there. Honestly, even with everything we had to deal with, all I wanted was a refund for the parking to have a satisfied customer.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Samantha, we are so disappointed to hear about your experience on such an important trip for you.We can understand that hotels can have reason to unexpectedly need to close or relocate guests, however not at such an inconvenience to you. We'd like to look into this for you and see just how we can turn this around for you. Please send us a private message with your original confirmation number, and the name and location of there you were relocated to. Please also include your contact info.Thx, CW

Original review: April 27, 2019

Front desk man very unfriendly, got my room, the gutter outside my window was so loud I could not sleep. At 3AM went back to front desk with a video to prove the loud sound. He never said anything, just gave me a card for a new room. I took a photo of it to prove it was totally gutted on the back wall, all electrical and plumbing and insulation exposed and floor covered with debris. Took photo to guy at desk who NEVER said anything like "Sorry about that." Got another room key and was reminded checkout was at 11am. I said, "Are you kidding! I will check out when I have had some sleep. I went to third room and slept for 5 hours and left this hellhole.

Contacted Mauricio at Choice Hotels and he tried to get me a refund, the woman at the Memphis Econolodge said no because it was two months ago. I was going to tell Mauricio that my files had been corrupted and I finally got them back but he cut off the line and never called me back. I now have video and photos to prove my story.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Jerry! We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. It's very disappointing to hear about the lack of empathy from the hotel staff, housekeeping, and maintenance issues you endured. What you encounter does not reflect the standards we expect our trusted brands to uphold. My team would like the opportunity to restore your faith in Choice Hotels. Please reply with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to chat soon. ~Mikael

Choice Hotels - Econolodge Company Information