Choice Hotels - Econolodge

Choice Hotels - Econolodge

2.8/5 (453 ratings)

About Choice Hotels - Econolodge

Choice Hotels - Econolodge Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels - Econolodge?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: June 29, 2020

Stayed in the Palm Coast, Florida Econo Lodge just about a week ago. Room smelled, carpet was worn out, filthy and smelled like mold. Bedsheets and pillow cases stank and were most likely not changed. I slept through the night due to exhausting travel that day and when I woke up noticed bugs on the night stand and then even on the sheets and pillowcases I just slept on. The furniture was also really beat up and probably from the local Salvation Army thrift store. When checking out the manager had no knowledge of when any local restaurant opened and did not bother looking that info up online. Simply stated she did not know when they opened. That was my last stay in an Econo Lodge.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Oh no, Steve! I feel terrible knowing that you went through this at one of our properties. As an international company, we have strict quality standards that each hotel needs to follow to provide an enjoyable experience to all our guests. We'd love to have an opportunity to look more into this for you. To do so, please send us a private message with your conf#, arrival date, and name on the reservation. We will be waiting for this information. -Diana.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Updated on 07/01/2020: Ok so don’t bother. Seriously it’s all a runaround scam and a joke. I got charged for a sepsis pool dump hotel saying that nicely to get charged two charges again today for a wash yourself with bleach room. I have pictures. Posted them and they do nothing.

Original review: Well seeing how I could go on and on how horrible, uncomfortable, disgusting, unhealthy and a flipping health hazard this dump is. Oh not to mention I overpaid because somehow they could not find my reservation even though I had the confirmation number. So instead of paying $40.00 a night like my price lock was with Hotels.com I paid $54.99 for a room what has black mold, cat pee, litter box smell, the A/C doesn’t work, cable doesn’t work. Oh and they know that cause everyone that works there is living there including the guys doing renovations and leaves their doors open to cool off. Seriously how any company decide that falsifying what is advertised have a consumer pay for a service/good that isn’t provided. The Wisconsin Health Department would be disgusted.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Wow! I can see why you feel this way, Brittany. We look for the satisfaction of our guests in each visit to our trusted brands. I am ashamed knowing that this hotel entirely failed to fulfill your needs. We don't want your comment to go unnoticed; to forward your feedback with hotel management and the appropriate parties at Choice Hotels, could you please send us your confirmation number, the name on the reservation, and the date of arrival? Once we get this information, we'll follow up. -Diana.

Original review: June 11, 2020

We were looking for a hotel in LORDSBURG, NM for the night of 06/09. When we got there we called the ECONO LODGE BY CHOICE HOTELS asking for availability and were told the room would be $55 before tax. We accepted and drove to the property. Outside it had a AAA sign so I asked for a AAA member discount at the front desk and was told “yes”. After the “discount” our rate came out to $58.50 before tax, hmmm interesting discount where you pay $3.50 more than previously quoted but I didn’t say anything as we were tired. The lobby smelled musty and was in major disrepair, the cover of the ceiling light literally was about to fall down, certainly a hazard.

We were given room #103. Upon entering we immediately saw how gross it was. The vinyl floor had not been mopped in a very very long time, it had smears of dirt and grime all over it and one could hear the crumbles crunch while walking. The two queen beds consisted of 2 completely different mattress sets, one lower than the other, it looked like they had been picked up at a dump. The whole room had a bad odor to it. Upon taking off the bed cover sheet, the bedsheet showed several dark stains and I counted a total of 8 hairs in one bed and 4 hairs in the other bed, ABSOLUTELY GROSS!! The bathroom counter was chipped and cracked and the bathtub was dark and grimey.

This property did not at all provide the basic cleanliness and maintenance one would expect from CHOICE HOTELS. It was thoroughly dirty and in disrepair. We decided to leave right away and went to the Hampton Inn which was just fine. I was trying to stop back by at the front desk to inquire about a refund but it was closed and nobody was in sight to listen to my concern. I expect better from CHOICE HOTELS!!

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

I understand your frustration, Peter! If I were in your position, I would feel the same way. Please know that we have strict quality standards that need to be achieved by each hotel. It's disappointing to know that this Econo Lodge failed to provide you a great experience. We want to use your feedback to make the required improvements at this property. To do so, could you please send us a private message with your confirmation number and name on the reservation? We'll stay tuned. -DS.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Updated on 05/31/2020: In response to the credit from the hotel. That's Great and hopefully it will be there in 5 to 7 days. Now I want my refund or credit from you / www.Choicehotels .com/Rewards/reservations/Wyndham/ Of 251.00 for a five night stay that I still have not received!!!

Original Review: I booked a room for five nights at the Econolodge in Spokane Washington through Choicehotels.Com. I arrived on time and had one pet. I noticed how filthy the main lobby was and was hesitant to check in but I did and when I opened the door to room 219 I about lost my lunch. Folks this motel was completely disgusting. I decided I had to stay and make the best of my overnight stay because my sight unseen reservation for five nights is getting cut short in the morning and per choice hotels "reservation policy" you must stay overnight one night to avoid cancelation fees.

I stayed awake all night and cleaned and disinfected this room. The floors had hardwood with dog or human feces ground in and stepped on so many times a putty knife was even difficult. There was black mold in between the wood cracks in the floor by the bathroom. The walls were flea larved and dirty filth that I washed off with one of the one towel that was in the bathroom.

I wore long plastic gloves up to my elbows and went to work. It was so disgusting. My towel was brown with stained filth. Around 12 am the cops showed up and lots of commotion was happening around outside. My tv never did work because of the cable was stripped out of the back of the tv. The internet never did work because the password was incorrect. The man at the night shift forgot to come and check on my room and me and the non working appliances.!!! Found out later the guy at front desk said all the rooms have TVs like this in all the rooms after doing inspections. And when it rains no internet service. And he said the maid got fired today. And that's why all the rooms were that way.

Well sir when I first arrived you have a sign hanging on the front window stating, "We are out doing room inspections. Be right back". You're not and never have done any room inspections because you would be shut the hell down and condemned for this motels. The walkways are full of cigarette butts, garbage, and fluids. Nothing in your motels is operatable and if you had food you wouldn't exist because of health reasons.

I was charged for a five night stay when I only stays overnight. 5/18/2020 I was charged 50 for one pet one night 5/18/2020. When clearly econo lodge pet policy along with choice hotels pet policy with econo lodge agreements is only 10 fricking dollars for one pet per night. I was charged 54.00 room fee? +50 for pet + 9.92 motel fee +. 2.00 for administrative fee. 117.00 a night at a 1 star hotel.

Choice hotel charged my card 314.00 for a five night stay after I called them the next morning and told them I checked out and do not charge for five nights!!! I am now only allowed a 251.00 credit back to my debit card which I have not seen yet and it has been 5 working business days.!!! 251 - 314 = 63? And 117.00 charge from econo lodge itself directly!! I want all my 314.00$ back into my account now or I'm getting a attorney and suing your false website. You did not have my permission to withdraw funds at no time a card it to hold the reservation!!!! Hold the reservation!!!!

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

From the recap of this overall experience, we let you down. Housekeeping & maintenance should be in adequate condition while also having staff readily available to address your concerns. Since these obligations of the hotel left more to be desired, we are requesting detail from this stay to follow up. Please message us the confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, and full name on the reservation with your contact information when possible. Thank you for contacting us. *Julio

Original review: May 22, 2020

Econo Lodge - 715 W North Temple, Salt Lake City, Ut. The other econo lodges I've stayed at have been decent for the price, this one is just terrible. Checking in I was informed there was $100 deposit on top of the room, after some haggling I got it down to $50. There is no continental breakfast as advertised, they also advertised room service but the only room service you can get here is the abundance drug dealers and hookers hanging around.

I had to wait about 40 mins after I checked in to go in my room as it hadn't been cleaned, the housekeeper did her best to tidy up but the room was just trashed and nothing like the pictures on the website. The door looked like it had been kicked in and repaired with glue. Even though I already paid, I stayed at a Motel 6 that night. This is easily the worst hotel room I've ever been inside. Oh and my damage deposit still hasn't been refunded 11 days later. Most econo lodges have been decent for me, this place literally should be condemned. I'm not overexaggerating either.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Stephen, this is not at all what you should experience as a valued guest considering the expectations each franchising partner is required to uphold like housekeeping. While I understand it may be difficult to restore your faith in us, we hope to still inspire improvements. Please send a message including your confirmation number, arrival date, & full name on the reservation. I hope we can touch base with you further. *Julio

Original review: May 17, 2020

Updated on 08/11/2020: I submitted my review of the Reno Nv, Econo Lodge and my horrible ordeal back in April and no one has tried to look into it or make it right, so why even ask us to submit any documents or proof of stay if you're not going to help? F.Y.I. I had a friend who purchased a room from Reno Nv, Econo Lodge recently and mentioned that the front desk clerk made a mistake checking her in and put her cash deposit as being paid for by her debit card but she caught the mistake and told her "I've messed up before by doing that, good thing I caught it before it screwed you over" not to mention she was also a supervisor.

After she told me about this it made perfect sense and I know that is exactly what had happened in my situation and the fact that they are aware of that happening before and treating me like It was not their problem is absolutely unacceptable. BEWARE OF THIS PLACE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RECEIPTS AND TRANSACTION RECORDS.

Original Review: I had no complaints or problems the 9 days I stayed there until I checked out and got ripped off for $100.00 deposit without any explanation of where my money went. The manager Dory was beyond rude and could care less about trying to even help me figure out how to fix this situation when I was trying to show her the e-mails from my card company and Choice Privileges which both advised it was the merchant I needed to work this ordeal out with directly and in person. She got really really rude and cut me off and told me she didn't want to see my e-mails 'cause they aren't paying me nothing and printed out a receipt that didn't even match up to my stay and is very questionable at that. I definitely will not be letting this slide due to the rude way I was treated! I bet they wouldn't feel too good to have $100.00 disappear from their bank account.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

We completely understand your disappointment, Alexis. We know that money is a pressing matter, and even though our properties are independently owned and operated, we don't want to miss the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a private message including your confirmation number, date of arrival, name on the reservation, and hotel's address. We hope to hear more from you. -Diana.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I got to the hotel on 11/27/2019. I paid with my debit card. The clerk who handled the payment didn't know what she was doing and ended up messing up the account. I let her know that my card never had any payment issues. She processed my card as a credit card instead of an debit card. The money was held pending over a month. No merchant release letter was sent by Econolodge to secure the payment from my card company. The clerk assured me that the issues with the card were in the past, don't worry. Never look a good horse in the mouth.

After the fiasco with the card, I let the hotel staff know that I will be paying by cash and to leave my card alone. On 12/31/2019, the hotel deducted money from my debit card, after I advised them of receiving my payments in cash. My card company is investigating the dispute now as a unauthorized transaction. We receive very limited housekeeping service. Once they decided to move me and my family to another room, we didn't receive housekeeping at all. For 2 weeks, we had no clean linens. I had my own towels, thank God. The general manager is curt, at best. I wouldn't have my pet stay there, let alone a enemy. That's why 1 star is all I give this hotel. But that's because I couldn't put down a 0.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hey Patricia. Thank you for taking the time to reach out. We're disappointed to hear about the billing and housekeeping issues you experienced. My team would like the opportunity to review this matter further. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, confirmation, and any receipts you have from your cash payments. We look forward to assisting you further. ~Mikael

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We drove 10 hours to Florida. It was late when we arrived in Palm Coast. We checked in to the Econo Lodge. The room was very outdated and nasty. There was a child’s toy in the floor. (It was my husband and I only). Found two live bugs in the bathroom. Black long hair on the shower wall. We told the front desk. He said, I’m sorry and that was it. Please think twice about staying here!

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

After a 10-hour drive to Florida, I feel you should not run into any concerns with your hotel room. Thank you for stopping by to review us. This feedback helps us do better. When you have a moment, I hope to follow up on this further. Please send your confirmation number, full name on the reservation, hotel address, and arrival date for verification. Hoping we can connect soon! *Julio

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Mold in mini fridge, hair in shower, 30 year old TV with 20 channels, door wouldn't open, had been broken into and lock was bent! Left after first night and told we wouldn't get a refund for second day!

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Kimberly! Thank you for taking the time to share this experience with us. It's disappointing to hear about the poor housekeeping and maintenance issues you endured. My team would like to do what we can to make things right. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. We look forward to assisting you further. ~Mikael

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

We had booked 5 rooms October in order to attend the North Carolina Transportation Museum Polar Express Train Ride. When we checked in we were assigned 5 rooms. Once we went into the rooms things started to get bad and went to worse. One of the rooms had toenail clippings on top of the bedspread. Another had either a black hair net or panties on top of the pillow when the spread was pulled down. Another room had a long thick black hair on the pillow when the spread was pulled down. One member of our group went into her room and found a man sitting on the bed.

Finally the last room had beer tabs on the bathtub and snack food all over the floor. After bringing these problems to the attention of the clerk for the third time we were advised that if we were not happy with the rooms we could get and refund and go someplace else. She sent a maintenance guy to check the rooms and he looked at the toenails, the long black hair on the pillow, picked up the hairnet or panties and threw them in a trash can and told me that none of this justified changing rooms. When I asked what he meant that this did not justify changing rooms he said that I had better watch myself and started toward me as though he wanted to fight. I stood my ground and he stopped and went back to mouthing. Filthy does no even start to describe this place.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Tommy, I can see why this was the rating you gave us. Please know we share the same expectations as you when it comes to housekeeping expectations. It's upsetting to learn about the letdown. I want to touch base with you on this further. Your feedback allows us to make improvements as necessary. Please message us your confirmation, hotel address, arrival date, and full name. Thank you for reaching out. *Julio

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

This past August, my husband and I earned 3 Kohl’s gift cards due to our stays during a promotional period. We never received the cards. Our points are lost. No one knows anything about the points or the promotion. There is no record of this transaction on our account. How can this happen? We won’t fall for any of their deals anymore. Liars and thieves.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

We are just as shocked to hear you did not end up with those gift cards as expected. Thank you for being valuable members and sharing this experience with us. My team and I want to follow up if you still require assistance on this matter. Please send a message with the member number, full name, email, telephone, & complete mailing address in association with the account. Don't forget to include any confirmation numbers from the transactions. We will be looking out and hope to talk soon! *Julio

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

The Econo Lodge in Lubbock on I- 27 was the worst hotel I have stayed in the last forty years. Starting with the night clerk who was a know nothing about everything, she could answer nothing and served no purpose except to say I do not know. The room was disgusting, with mold in the bathroom and the room was not clean, and the garbage was full. The shift manager did not want to hear my complaint because I complained when I was leaving. The Manager was rude, nasty and ill tempered. The gen manager could care less because, he did not respond to my complaint. I do not know if even Choice Hotels cares because I should have heard from the general manager.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Sheldon, we are similarly disappointed in the way this stay turned out for you. The hotel staff should be empowered to meet the needs of our valued guests and we sincerely regret this was not the case. To add to the situation, the lapse in housekeeping is not in line with our service standards. You deserve clean, comfortable accommodations. If you allow us, we want to touch base with you to discuss these improvements. Please send a message with your stay information. Thank you! *Julio

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I booked and prepaid over a week ago. I am disabled. This place has no elevator to the second floor, so I needed a first floor room. Due to my disability, it is best to have a separate bed from my husband when we travel. I booked two queen beds. I requested a quiet side room. Pictures, and some info pages show a coffee pot, hair dryer, a microwave and a fridge. All but the hair dryer were part of my choice to stay here. Also no smoking, no pets.

I booked online, selecting 2 queen room. I put in my requests. Last week I called reservations to confirm the room and requests. She called the front desk then assured me everything was good. Today I called the front desk to make sure it was ok to check in at 9pm, was told no problem. We arrived at the same time as a bus with 15 people on it. There was an employee out changing trash bags, who saw us all arrive. We went in, rang the bell repeatedly but waited 10 minutes for that employee to come in with the trash.

He took a while with the person in front of me. He then proceeds to tell me there are no dual queens available. It there is one, but it's "dirty". Then tries to give me a room on the second floor. He basically says I should have called in today to go over specifics, he had no note, so he didn't save the room. Um, prepaid but if there isn't a "note" I guess they rent it to whomever shows up. He said he doesn't have any authority on giving us a discount or comping a night, he just works there. I asked about the manager, I was told he won't be in for two days. So we end up with a king. RIGHT up by the desk. So, not quiet. Took 30 minutes to check in.

Walking in, the bed was rumpled. No hair dryer, no coffee pot, no microwave. Next I hear barking. No pets? Five minutes in, I go to the front desk. Supposedly it was a service dog. I doubt it. A family member has one, and I know others are trained not to just bark and bark. Go to get ice, machine is broken. I can hear the people above me walking, scooting chairs and talking. Splendid, non carpeted floors. Have trouble with wifi. You have to move things near the tv and high up to get anything to connect. So no using it on the bed or in the chair. Chair upholstery was ripped and stained. The ac barely works. The room is ok, not spotless, but not filthy.

I go to take a shower, the curtain was hung so low it puddled in the bottom of the tub and I was tripping on it. The curtain was moved in so far it was sticking to you. The shower head was barely tall enough for me, I'm 5'7". My poor hubby is 6'2". He wasn't a happy camper trying to shower. The mattress is also pretty saggy. I have never had this many problems. I probably sound a bit picky. I PAID for these things. I have a tough enough time, I don't need extra challenges. I would never have agreed to pay this for the experience I am having. 6am you awake to slamming doors. Pictures of the breakfast bar look good, but it definitely isn't. Hot tub has been filled with concrete. Pool is still there. If you want what you pay for, don't go here. Location was Longmont, CO.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Denise! Thank you for taking the time to bring your stay to our attention. It is disappointing to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay. As a valued guest, you always deserve clean and top-notch accommodations. My team would like to address your concerns further. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

This is a very nice place to rest. It has a very friendly staff, clean rooms, nice pool. It is a is a very well maintained property. I will stay there again the next time that I have to come to this area.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Thomas! We appreciate you for taking the time to reach out. Choice Hotels strives to provide our loyal guests with impeccable customer service and accommodations. So, it is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your time with us and the amenities. If you need assistance with anything, please let us know. Thank you for choosing Choice! We hope you'll be our guest again soon. ~Mikael

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Traveling for work from Ohio to Massachusetts, I booked a room from a listing on Booking.com at $75 a night for an Econolodge just off the Thruway at 9:50PM on the 21st of September. I received a confirmation that I was booked at the Econolodge in Darien (no state listed). When I got the hotel an hour and a half later, it was to find I was not booked at that location. I selected the link to contact the location on my confirmation and found that the location I'd been booked in was in Darien, GA, 990 miles from where I was standing. I had a conversation with the manager at 11:30PM and he told me that he'd already charged my credit card, but would reverse the charge once contacted by Booking.com ... my telling him that the reservation should be cancelled as erroneous was insufficient.

I spent 13 minutes searching for a customer service number for Booking.com as they do not provide such on their website, App, or confirmation correspondence. I spoke with an agent who contacted the Darien, GA Econolodge but who was told she'd have to speak with the manager who was no longer there. She informed me they would follow up with the hotelier in the morning and contact me. Apparently Booking.com did follow up with the GA hotel manager in the morning but were told that hotel policy prohibited reversing the charge for a room I could not use. Booking.com did not bother to call me on the 22nd for an update as promised.

Meantime, I checked into a room at the Darien Lake Econolodge at more than twice the price I'd been quoted on Booking.com as they were rapidly running out of rooms. So, I have been charged three times the rate I was offered, lied to about reversal of the erroneous charge... and, the no-show charge by the Darien, GA Econolodge was for the full room rate and not for the cancellation charge listed on the reservation confirmation (which was about $10 less). Booking.com is the prime culprit here, but the Econolodge in Darien, GA has behaved fraudulently, if not criminally, as well. Only the Econolodge in Darien Lake, NY has clean hands in this matter, even if their bathrooms are filthy.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Chris, it is upsetting to learn that your overall experience was one to be desired. While we strongly urge reviewing reservation details before confirming, sometimes things do happen. I hope that we can document this more appropriately to focus on improving where we need it most. When you have a moment, please send us your confirmation numbers along with the full name on the reservation for verification. My team and I hope to speak with you further on this matter. Thank you! *Julio

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

College Station Texas Hotel Room. First room smelled like smoke and since I had just signed the 150 agreement not to smoke in the room, I immediately reported it and they let me switch rooms. The second room was HOT as hell because the AC was completely off, fridge unplugged (I wonder if it will get cold by the time I check out...), vent cover missing in bathroom, missing smoke alarm (Is this even legal??), hairs on counters, stench of just... grossness. I’ve stayed at the other cheap hotels in the area (Super 8 and Days Inn) and this is by far the worst hotel in College Station and definitely the worst I’ve ever stayed in. I’m traveling for school so this is all I could afford without having to put it on my credit card.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi David! Thank you for bringing your stay to our attention. It is disappointing to hear about the poor housekeeping issues you experienced. As a valued guest, you always deserve cleanliness. My team would like the chance to address your concerns with the hotel. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, and date of arrival. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

"Incidental" charges scam. Choice Hotels' policy reserves right for refunds of false incidental room charges to the individual. Hotel manager who is always "unavailable" or "just left". Out of state travelers especially avoid this hotel. $150 extra charge is worth staying somewhere nice.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Andrew! Thank you for taking the time to reach out. It's disappointing to hear about the billing troubles you're experiencing We'd like to investigate further. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: July 26, 2019

This was a bad experience for my family. When we arrived there the lady and man at the front desk are rude as can be. The place smells like urine everywhere you walk, trash cans overflowing, puke by one of them, pool nasty, room had black hairs all over the bedding, air conditioner didn't work in one room, hole in wall, door did not latch very good, urine on floor in room, floors were nasty - looked like they haven't been cleaned in a year. The place looked like a drug place. They will double charge you especially if you reserve with a different card than the one you pay with. Do not believe the pictures that you see on the website because I tell you it's not the same hotel. If you don't have to stay at this place go to the nicer hotels down the road from this nasty place. There is no telling what you will leave this hotel with. Thank God we found a nicer place down the road.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Oh no, Stephanie! I appreciate you reaching out to share the feedback on this experience. The conditions you and your family had arrived to are not in line with our expectations outlined for partners in their franchise agreements. We hope to follow up with you to address with hotel ownership more appropriately for improvement. When you have a moment, would you send a message with the confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, and full name listed on the reservation? Chat soon! *Julio

Original review: July 17, 2019

Worst experience ever, Econolodge Tampa on Busch. ** hang out all day and night, someone had a bowel movement all over the stairs, people were doing drugs out in the open. I couldn’t wait to check out. You can’t tell me that management doesn’t know about the illegal activity because it’s out in the open. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anybody. My worst experience ever! Be aware. Pictures make the place look nice. It’s not in person.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hello Micheal! Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. It is disappointing to hear about the poor conditions of the hotel ground. What you described does not meet the standard we expect our trusted brands to uphold. My team would like to document your experience and notify the individual owner. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: June 27, 2019

I booked for 3 nights at Econolodge Downtown Ottawa through Choice Properties for July and received a confirmation for 2 persons. I called Choice Hotels and was told that the only way out is to cancel the transaction completely and then do another one. I received a cancellation email from Choice and Econolodge with cancellation number: ** with cancellation date: Tuesday Jun 18, 2019 and reservation confirmation number: **. A new reservation was then made by me. Looking at my credit card transactions later, I was surprised to see 3 charges rather than one.

I called Choice Properties 3 times to resolve this matter but it appears that their customer service suffers from lack of professionalism. Having stayed at Econolodge in Nashville in the past and booking through Choice Privileges, I thought that I was in good hands. Never knew that things have changed. The two hospitality companies seem to be out for money grab and scam. Please keep in mind that I am even yet to lodge at this hotel and I am being given this impression. It is sad, frustrating and disappointing. As a frequent traveller, it will be my last time of going through Choice Privileges or staying at Econolodge anywhere in North America.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Wow, Francis! It upsets us to learn that you didn't feel taken care of as a member. We hear you and regret that we could not meet your expectations. When guaranteeing reservations, a charge may be applied to the payment method once confirmed. Your feedback on this aspect of the booking process is insightful and will be used to inspire improvements. If you'd like us to follow up, our messages are open. Thank you for your loyalty and patronage throughout the years. Have a great weekend! *Julio

Original review: June 23, 2019

Charged my credit card for $122 for a dark, dirty dreary room. Salvation Army has better furniture. Dirty toilet bowl... Pubic hairs on floor. Painted over chrome stopper in tub, corroded faucet on sink, grey dirty, supposed to be white towels. Two lamps with 40 watt bulbs. Floor lamp no bulb. Carpet filthy. The bed was DAMP... Was it from urine or what? Called for reservation was told 'booked up' for advertised price of $66 a night. Called Hotels.com and WOW A ROOM AVAILABLE! Only $122 a night. Had appointments with realtor so booked it. Checked into room at 2:30 left at 5:30. The damp order was overwhelming. Econo Lodge says my refund has to go to EXPEDIA credit card American Express NOT MINE!! Third party booking they say. THIS IS A BIG SCAM! OVERCHARGE FOR A ROOM IN A BUILDING THAT NEEDS TO BE HIT BY A CRANE AND KNOCKED DOWN. Old and dirty piece of crap hotel!

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi there, Concetta. Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns with us. It's true that any refund processed has to go back to the 3rd party you booked through, and they'll refund you on the card you used to pay for the room. We'd still like to make sure your feedback is shared with our field staff though. Please send us a private message with your reservation details, as well as your mailing address, email, and phone number when you have a chance. We hope to hear from you soon! - Kayla P.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Myself, my fiancé and my nephews were going to a concert and this Econolodge was close to the concert. So we thought we’d stay there. We came into our room at 10 pm went to bed. Woke up and left at 9am. I made sure I made the beds and cleaned it well so there was no problems getting my security deposit of 50$. We went outside to smoke cigarettes since it’s a smoke free establishment. And that I liked. No one likes to have a smelly room. When I tried to get my security deposit back. The lady at the front desk who went to check out the room said it smelled of smoke. And we never smoked in it. That fifty dollars was our gas money to get home. We’re all adults and I’m positive no one smoked in the room. So I was annoyed she wouldn’t give the cash back. So I asked for a manager to go check.

She didn’t speak English and she said it did also. Which doesn’t make sense to me. And refused to give the deposit back. And I was furious. That was all the cash we had to get home. I had to wait 4 hrs for someone to wire me money to get home. I just can’t believe how ignorant they were to us. And how they acted towards myself. They threatened to call the police because I said I wasn’t leaving until I got the deposit back. But I wasn’t going to have to deal with police over it. That’s ridiculous. I’m so disappointed in how I was treated. What a joke.

I advise be wary of any Econolodge to everyone. When I finally got the money wired to me. I told a cashier at a gas station what happened. And she even said it happened to her sister at the same hotel. Please make this right and refund my deposit. And to top everything off someone two doors down overdosed on drugs and ems and cops also were there for quite a while making noise and it was hard to sleep. Terrible experience.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, Joshua. We can certainly understand why you would be upset about this, as this is not the level of service we strive to deliver. We'd like to look into this more for you. Please send us a private message with your reservation details, as well as your mailing address, email, and phone number, and we'll get started. We look forward to hearing more from you again soon. - Kayla

Original review: May 28, 2019

My family of 5 (including children and an 8 month old) stayed at the Econolodge on 8700 S Orange Blossom Trl, Orlando, FL. I booked 2 nights on Memorial weekend 2019 (Just this weekend). This hotel was roach infested, from the first room (2216) - we called concierge to complain and they provided a key card to a second room, which was exactly like the first. The gentleman who brought the key cards did not even bother to offer help to move from one room to another, did not bother to take a look at the roach problem or even to clean up the leak from the mini fridge. Once we moved to the second room (3217), same thing, roaches, we called concierge from our cell phones, because the phone in the room did not work. Concierge advised that there were no more rooms available, we tried to find another hotel but unfortunately other hotels were booked due to the holiday weekend (even Motel8!).

I am beyond words for the disgusting rooms, the lack of customer service, as NO ONE even bothered to come up to the room to check and make sure that the room was fine once we moved. We had to purchase our own blankets and purchase our own cleaning products to be able to even try and sleep in the room, we ended up splitting between some of us sleeping in our vehicle in the parking lot and some staying in the room. I do not understand how ANY establishment that is meant for vacations or to take trips, etc. is run in this fashion, for even choicehotels.com to have awarded them any type of award is unfathomable. At check-out the woman at the counter (I will not post names) stated that there were no notes at all in the system of the initial complaint of roaches. Again, lack of... She did state that she would leave fully notated to the managers so that I could get a full refund.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Katherine, We can only imagine how frustrated you must have been having to change rooms to the same condition. At Choice Hotels, we pride ourselves in clean and comfortable rooms. Sounds like we felt short of this, and we are truly regretful. We would be happy to look into this matter with our franchisee directly. Please send us a private message with your confirmation number, your Choice Privileges Member ID and associated email. Well get back with you. Thanks for choosing Choice Hotels, Cathy

Original review: May 6, 2019

To begin on May 4, 2019 I contacted Choice to redeem some points and to book a room for my daughter and wife birthday weekend. Representative by the name of Lynn assisted me in doing so. She found and booked a room at the Econolodge at 2061 Gulf to Bay Blvd Clearwater Beach FL. Lynn told me that my card will not be charged until check in at which I received a call early Saturday morning from ** the front desk clerk at Econolodge. ** called stating that he was attempting to charge my card to reserve the room but the funds was insufficient at which I already knew that. I was transferring funds to that card on Saturday morning. ** stressed to me that I would not have a room if I did not have funds on my card by 4 pm. That was taken care of ASAP by me. (Quick transfer)...

I in return told ** that I'm bringing my family consisting of my 4 month daughter. I stressed to him just as he did about my money on my card. "Please make sure the room is in order and not full of bed bugs, etc." ** reassured me that he would walk through himself. After arriving around 5 pm we checked put our bags in the room and went out for family time. Upon returning to the hotel room me and my son chose to sleep out on the sofa bed and play video games. We pulled the pullout sofabed out and ???? the mattress looked as if it was it into a fillet and zip tied back together you could clearly see from one side to the other. I have multiple pictures. I in return went to the front desk at which now ** was the desk clerk. I showed him the pictures and at first asked for a different room. He said, "No there are no empty rooms available" which was false. 219 above us was empty.

I then asked to just allow me to do the labor and just swap mattresses. He said no again rudely. I then called Choice and spoke with Scott. He in return tried to solution it and compromise with the front desk. Still answer was no, only thing he offered was a sheet or a 15% refund and find another hotel. Mind you it's 12 midnight and I had my 4 month old daughter. After going back and forth I was on the phone for a second time with Choice looking to relocate. As I walked into the room (121) the phone rang (** front desk), "You have 15 minutes to pack and get out." Raging at me (you called and reported us I want you out..!!) "I'm calling the police..." I in return said, "Please do call the police. Please I would like to have my refund as well please and I will wait for law enforcement."

After discussing the issue with officer S **, he advised me of other hotels and states that he would be upset too if he had a mattress that looked like that. Nowww... instead of refunding me my 121.81 ** charged me a second time on my debit card and tried to deny the fact even after seeing and hearing my online automated teller with Bank of America... Me and family was out 'til 3 am looking for another hotel ripped off out of 121.81 twice at which later to find out 1 refund of 121.81 was reimbursed at 2:40 am.

The biggest issue is I had my newborn baby and no one at Choice call center offered any kind of assistance to relocate us after we went through Choice to establish our visit. I am very disappointed with Choice for even sponsoring such a low life hotel and to not even offer me and my family any kind of assistance or compensation. Sad sad sad... ** was my confirmation number. It was an experience I wish upon no one. Look the hotel up on Google and Travelocity. I have posted pictures there as well. Hotels such as these have no business being open at all.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi, Winston. Thank you for detailing this experience. It's unfortunate to learn that the level of housekeeping and staff performance left more to be desired. We expect our partners to uphold the standards outlined in their franchise agreement. If I were in this situation, I would be just as frustrated with this turn of events. To continue our follow up could you send the confirmation number and your contact information associated with the booking? We will be looking out for your reply. *Julio

Original review: May 2, 2019

I booked a room at the Econo Lodge in Niagara Falls Ont for the 27th and 28th of April. When we arrived at 830 pm on the 27th we were told that the lodge would be closed the following day and we would be relocated to an area that would cost us 30+ to cab to and from. We were blown away that we didn't get any notification before this and felt like we should have been contacted in transit.

The front desk told us we could take it or leave and find something else. Being exhausted we took the first night but had to find a different place to stay the second night to avoid ridiculous cab fares. We asked about any compensation and were told there would be no compensation for travel since we could leave our car on the parking lot, so we could have parked there just on our anniversary. We couldn't have a drink because we would not have to drive.

We contacted Choice Hotels and were placed in a closer hotel, in the Falls are, for the same rate, but it was not dictated to us that there was a $18 parking charge for the second hotel. When I raised concerns I was told this information should have been disclosed but they would not waive it now at check out. All in all our experience with Choice Hotels was not good and we won’t be booking with this chain anymore. All we had was hassle and extra cost. We were without a place to go for 4 hours between check out at one location and check in at the other. We requested that since the move was not our issue we could get an early check in and were told that's not the way it worked.

We were told to contact customer service who basically said the reservation and booking were finalized after check in and we would not be compensated for our awful experience, but they could give me Choice points if I sign up for a Choice membership and I can get so much towards my next stay... even after I asked why I would ever stay with Choice again after this experience. I was forwarded into the Choice membership line anyways and hung up from there. Honestly, even with everything we had to deal with, all I wanted was a refund for the parking to have a satisfied customer.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Samantha, we are so disappointed to hear about your experience on such an important trip for you.We can understand that hotels can have reason to unexpectedly need to close or relocate guests, however not at such an inconvenience to you. We'd like to look into this for you and see just how we can turn this around for you. Please send us a private message with your original confirmation number, and the name and location of there you were relocated to. Please also include your contact info.Thx, CW

Original review: April 27, 2019

Front desk man very unfriendly, got my room, the gutter outside my window was so loud I could not sleep. At 3AM went back to front desk with a video to prove the loud sound. He never said anything, just gave me a card for a new room. I took a photo of it to prove it was totally gutted on the back wall, all electrical and plumbing and insulation exposed and floor covered with debris. Took photo to guy at desk who NEVER said anything like "Sorry about that." Got another room key and was reminded checkout was at 11am. I said, "Are you kidding! I will check out when I have had some sleep. I went to third room and slept for 5 hours and left this hellhole.

Contacted Mauricio at Choice Hotels and he tried to get me a refund, the woman at the Memphis Econolodge said no because it was two months ago. I was going to tell Mauricio that my files had been corrupted and I finally got them back but he cut off the line and never called me back. I now have video and photos to prove my story.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge response

Hi Jerry! We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. It's very disappointing to hear about the lack of empathy from the hotel staff, housekeeping, and maintenance issues you endured. What you encounter does not reflect the standards we expect our trusted brands to uphold. My team would like the opportunity to restore your faith in Choice Hotels. Please reply with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to chat soon. ~Mikael

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Hotel was run down, not that clean and the free breakfast was nonexistent. I book the hotel because of the low price of the room. The hotel was centrally located for us seeing Prescott and Sedona. I will never book a room because of a low price without really checking on the hotel.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

We had a wonderful King room and everything was just right for our stay - the floors and room was spotless and the bathroom was very clean too. Great hot breakfast too. Parking was good too and no problems overnight.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Econolodge in Richmond Hill GA. Dimmed the lights in the room as I sat down to eat and bugs started to appear from everywhere. Killed four or five to show management and was greeted at the counter by an Indian lady who was extremely rude. To add insult to injury she gave me a fake corporate number.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This hotel hired a towing company to tow my car. We were staying at this hotel for almost 3 weeks. As guests the hotel had our car on file, our tag #, make and model. The towing operator broke into my car and towed my vehicle in the evening while I was sleeping. When I found my car missing in the morning the manager at the front desk just laughed and gave me the number to the towing company and told me to keep it quiet while I was talking to the towing company. Everyone in the lobby was laughing. I'm sure the hotel got a kickback out of the $158 towing fee I was charged. They are thieves.

Choice Hotels - Econolodge Company Information