Choice Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Choice Hotels is nothing but a scam! We booked a room, the website changed the date. We ended up buying another room, because they would not change the date. If you want to throw your money away, go ahead and book with choice hotels!

I was told that if I stayed two nights before April 27th I would get a third free. Then when I called to access my third night they said it would take 72 hours to post the points. They did this so we were less likely to use the third night. Very inappropriate as I specifically asked if I was able to do this on the same vacation week with a definite yes as a response. I also had to change a second night reservation and was told I couldn't change it. And would be charged a noncancelation fee for the room. When I called "customer service" I was told they are all independently owned. UGH!!! Both of my experiences in Rodeway Inn and Quality Inn were awful. Being a member of this CHOICE meant nothing to them.

Do not book through this service. They booked me for the wrong weekend and I called within 15 minutes and they would not cancel or change the reservation to correct it. Customer service was non existent. Do not use!!

I have been staying at Clarion Hotel in Pueblo CO since the 23rd of March and paying weekly. Now all of the sudden the front desk tells me they will no longer rent weekly. This would be understandable if I had not already been double charged for last week (I'm disputing the charge with the bank) causing me great inconvenience, as well as a broken ac/heater, and housekeeping that only makes half the bed and leaves no towels or bags in the waste cans. There has been a new ac unit still in the box in the middle of the floor where it has been for two weeks. And to top it all off I had to get my own can of raid for the roach problem they have. I even complained to corporate customer service only to be told there is nothing they will do. Summary... This has been the worst hotel experience I have ever had from a national chain and will never stay with clarion or choice hotels ever again!

I had a Terrible experience at a Choice Hotel, and made 8 attempts over 2 weeks to get a resolution with Choice Hotel "customer service". Each time put on hold for average of 30 minutes. And each time I finally got to talk to a CS person I had to start over explaining the problem and was told to check back in 72 hours for resolution. I even tried emailing numerous times and NO reply. As a long time Choice Privileges Diamond Member I would have expected better Service. I will no longer stay with such a shabby company. And direct all my coworkers to do the same, As there are many other companies out there that truly appreciate our business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Choice Hotels advertises on TV and on my phone calls with them that you receive a free night after two booked at regular priced stays. I have stayed 3 night during 2 separate stays, and this time am told I don't have enough points for any hotel stay. Points are never mentioned in their advertising. Their supervisor told me I couldn't get my free night because my stays were last year, and yet I just read under one of their websites that the stays (= points) are considered good and part of the promotion until Dec. 31, 2 years AFTER the year you earn the points. Today I had their employees telling me all sorts of creative lies as to why I could not collect on my free hotel night. I consider this fraud, and I wouldn't recommend Choice Hotels to anyone. There are plenty of other hotel chains that will not do such underhanded things.

This is the worst experience I have ever had when traveling. There was an error (double booked due to computer error). They will not refund my money and no cancellation! Apparently I'm not the only one. They put you on hold and never come back. Best thing to do is contact your bank and have them stop payment or refund the money to your acct. My bank did this. Don't use them.

I stayed 12 different times and only got 4400 points. They said they will not give me any more than that because none of my stays "qualified". Customer service was extremely rude and just kept talking over me. When I cut in he yelled at me and said "don't cut me off. I need to continue." This was one of the very worst customer service experiences I've ever had aND I don't mind telling everyone. They don't keep their information updated, they leave out half of the rules in their pamphlet and on the website address, then when you call customer service they yell at you. Don't even bother. You won't get your points anyway. Just call the hotel to MAke your reservation. You'll have better luck.

I have been a Choice hotels customer for years. Typically if I wanted to book a room, I would call the individual hotel, speak with someone on site, and book the appointment. I was always treated with respect and as a loyal customer. In my most recent attempt to do so, I was automatically directed to Central Reservations. This was a customer service NIGHTMARE. First, I spoke with a rep who pulled up the hotel which was advertised for 116 on the choice hotels website and 109 elsewhere, and she quoted me 220$ per night for the same room.

After telling her about the price on the choice website, along with the third party website. She stated, "then book third party." I asked her to honor the price on choicehotels.com, as choicehotels.com website clearly indicated a best price guarantee. I was met with such attitude, and she finally said "the best I can do is 189.00." At this point I asked to speak to a manager and was told "I don't have a manager." Being frustrated and at this point intending to address the customer service issue later, I just wanted the room booked and I knew if I booked it through her it would be very easy to track her down later when reporting this to management.

After gathering all of my information, I asked her to confirm the address of the hotel. She was looking at the wrong hotel. I asked for a room at Comfort Inn. She was looking at Quality Inn. I asked her to get me updated pricing at the correct hotel and after 10 minutes of typing and silence, she hung up on me. It doesn't end there though. After booking the room with another agent in the choice privileges department (at the price I saw online of 116.00 per night). I decided to call the central reservation number to now address the customer service issue. Guess who picks up? The agent did apologize stating that she reported the disconnect to her previously non-existent manager (despite having my telephone number to call back).

I asked the agent to transfer me to said manager now that we both were in agreement that this person does in fact exist. She cold transfers me to a closed department, customer relation, where I am left on hold limbo for about 20 minutes before looking up the hours of customer relations online and seeing that they are in fact closed. This is unacceptable, and at this point I had spent well over an hour trying to do this. All I wanted to do was give choice hotels my money as I have so many times in the past... they sure don't make it easy.

A couple days later I called customer relations, spoke to someone who really did not show that much empathy but was very pleasant. The issue was "addressed" through registering my complaint with an internal ticketing system. Customer relations did not make me feel better, or valued as a long time customer. With that being said, I will keep my upcoming reservation but it most certainly will be my last, and I will never book with choice hotels again as my stays at Fairfield Inn and suites by Marriott and Wyndham Hotels have been comparable in price and a better customer experience.

On the night of December 26, 2016 at approximately 6 pm Central Time I went to their website and tried making a reservation using your system for December 27, 2016 for Winchester KY. Immediately upon starting the reservation a countdown clock starting counting down from 15 minutes. I decided at that point to try and log in with my member number and try and get it on my Choice Privileges account so I wouldn't have to deal with it later. Well, I didn't remember my password and was going back and forth between the website and app trying to get into my account. I might have also checked what kind of AAA discount I could get.

By the time I was finally able to be sure I was set up and ready the countdown timer only showed 20 seconds left and so I quickly hit submit because I was afraid of losing the reservation. Immediately after I received a confirmation for January 7, 2017 I knew that was wrong and was not the date I originally started with. I tried adjusting it in the system and couldn't do it, so I called their service center and tried speaking with people there. From approximately 6:10 to 7:15 pm I tried resolving this issue. I was transferred to approximately 3 different people and each time during the transfer was disconnected so that I had to call back and start with someone again.

On three different instances your guest relations staff tried to call the hotel and could never get anyone there to answer the phone. I find that worrying that your staff could not reach the hotel for that hour time frame. Each time I called was told by the staff there, “Thank you for choosing Choice Hotels” and that they appreciate my business and know that I have places that I can choose instead of Choice Hotels. We were charged for the room and were basically told it was our fault and nothing was wrong with their system. I recommend that you don't stay at their hotels.

I think that I am probably wasting my breath and time writing this note to you. I called last week to reserve a room in Marshall, Michigan. While I was speaking to a customer service rep she started to tell me about this fantastic deal that your company had going on and it was such a great deal. I really was not interested, but I was transferred to another person who was going to give me a rundown on this special. I listened, I do not like high pressure selling. I was then transferred to another person who went on about this deal and was told that I had to sign up now in order to get in on this program. I was very tired and went along with the deal.

I have to say this was a terrible night for me as I did not get any sleep that night. The next day I called to cancel and was transferred from one person to another and I was really getting angry. The last person I spoke with was still trying to sell me on this deal and I lost my cool. I told her that I wanted it cancelled now or I was going to inform my attorney as I had an appointment with him anyway that day. I am at the point where I am not going to use Choice Hotels and will be using Holiday Inn and their priority club for my stays in the future. Your practices are HORRID as I could see by reading other reviews.

Beware of the website and their customer service. They will not ever help you or honor you. It's cheaper to sign on and book a room as a lay person. I will never stay or use them ever again. I'm not getting into my problem that they somehow charged me 180.00 plus 24,000 points when you can get a room for 106 a night!!! They said I bought the points! I never would of done that! I have 133,000 points at a Marriott! They didn't want to keep a customer. Didn't care! I tried! They lied! Please be careful. Just be a lay person.

I was trying to book a hotel for the current date. I went through Trivago.com, which redirected me to the Choice motel.com site. I selected the hotel in Grand junction and their lowest cost option. What I didn't realize is that the website had repopulated the date range to 6 days in the future. The date is shown in very small font and is only listed as month/date, not showing the day of the week. In my opinion this is part of their design to commit consumer fraud. When you click on the pay button it does not review your reservation, which you can no longer see. So when I arrived at the hotel I was told I made a nonrefundable, nonchangeable reservation, and they were going to keep my money.

I intend to dispute through credit card company and file a consumer fraud report with the Colorado attorney general. A contract requires a meeting of the minds. When one party, through intentional devious web design methods tries to hide the date selected, that is not a contract. Just compare ChoiceMotels.com with Booking.com and you will see the difference. At Booking.com the date ranges are in bold, up front, large font, and your selected reservation is repeated back before you click confirm. I will never do business with this hotel chain again and I recommend you boycott them as well.

My husband & I were making reservations at the Quality Inn in Charleston, MO. We had sold our home and were making the plans for traveling to our new home. This city happened to be the approximate halfway point in our travels. I thought the online process went fine, but when I received the email confirmation, 2 rooms had been booked. I called the motel to cancel one of the rooms and was told that the room was already paid for and the reservation could not be canceled, changed, or refunded. I asked if I could change the date on the reservation and was told the same thing.

The motel has refused to fix the problem. The system is broken and the motel is taking advantage of the error in the system. Why should they correct the mistake since they are making money from it. Hotel/Motel management COULD choose to do the RIGHT thing and fix the obvious mistake, but they will not. I will no longer be requiring the services of any hotel/motel associated with Choice Hotels.

Don't waste your time. Corporate builds hotel, contracts them out to individual owners who can charge whatever they want. When there's a special event, they gouge your eyes out with ridiculous prices. Stayed 4 nights, 2 different weekends, 2 different places, & was told stay 2 nights, get a free one next visit. Still no free night. They'll BS YOU from customer service in the Philippines, and feed you a line of crap... This is what American is turning into. Buy a camper, stay at KOA, and you'll never stay at a hotel again.

Use extreme caution when booking online through Choice Hotels. I was searching hotels for my specific travel date and then a very discounted deal hotel appears, which did advertise it was not refundable. I click into it thinking oh that's a nice deal I guess I would buy this even though it's non-refundable because I knew I was going to be for sure staying in that area. Anyways once I clicked it, it had a countdown thing making it seem super limited like the deal was going to disappear if I didn't book right then and there, and so I quickly but still thoroughly overlooked everything and booked it.

2 weeks later I go to check into the hotel and worst thing ever happens, the reservation to my awful surprise, the check in date had passed. I was so confused, so I went back in my confirmation email which I didn't even think to double check initially because I triple checked the booking dates before finally booking, and sure enough the check-in date on my confirmation email was the same date that I booked it the hotel. Clearly that is not when I intended to stay, having already drove 3 1/2 hours and paid for the hotel, non refundable. I was shocked. it ruined my trip and all my plans because I had no other hotel to stay at due to a huge event in the area everyone was full.

I called Choice Hotels up, and told them what happened and I truly believe it was the system that error'd out during checkout because I triple checked the dates when booking. The hotel could not refund me, so they said they would open a system investigation and see if there really was an error. After following up with them, the investigation could see the original check-in dates I had searched for (which was NOT the same day I was booking), and then apparently when I had clicked on the flashy limited time only special discounted hotel stay, the dates RESET to the current date!!!

I still don't believe that I overlooked the check-in date when booking that discounted stay, but either way I told Choice Hotels that the website tricks you then, and I'm sure I'm not the only customer this has happened to. They design the website like that to RESET dates on purpose hoping that you overlook dates I guess and book a NON-refundable same day of purchase stay. I think it's so messed up. Choice knows what they're doing and I explained that's terrible customer service and poor website design that it would do that.

I asked could they please give me a courtesy one time refund for the inconvenience and the fact I didn't even get to stay at the hotel, and they said no, that because I could view the stay dates before confirming it was essentially my fault. However, it wasn't my fault the dates reset on me when I hit the special offer stay. And they just said next time I could call and book over the phone instead of online. Really, that's your solution rather than fixing your screwed up tricky design of a website? Great job with your customer service Choice, you have lost a once loyal Choice Privileges member. I advise everyone to steer clear of booking online with Choice Privileges.

I signed up for Choice International last night because they had a great rate on a hotel that we were looking to stay at next weekend so we could do some skiing in the Catskills in upstate NY. I made the reservation, entered payment, and when the confirmation page came up, the reservation date was not what I had expected it to be. After reading many reviews on this site later that evening it became evident that there is something really screwy with the Choice Hotels website and many people had the same issue where they attempted to make reservations but ended up with the wrong date. Whether it's intentional or a website glitch or simply poor design, is anyone's guess. I can't imagine what Choice Hotels would gain from purposely tricking customers into making reservations on the wrong date.

So I called Choice Hotels Customer service line and tried to change the reservation. It took several calls and several transfers which put me into waiting queues and I was disconnected twice after waiting about 15 minutes each time, but finally I was able to get someone on the line who at first said there's nothing they could do because the reservation was "prepaid nonrefundable". But after I leaned on them I was ultimately put in contact with a friendly, courteous agent whose name was "Marge" (I think) who called the hotel and get the reservations changed although the new rate for the correct day was about $20 more than the advertised one on another very well known booking site that I've used many times before with no issues (but the initial rate offered through Choice Hotels was less - that's why I tried them).

It was more stressful than it needed to be and I partially fault the hotel who I also called 3x, because the hapless hotel clerk first told me I have to call Choice, that there's nothing they can do when in fact the power to change the reservation lies completely with the hotel - it's in their system, they've got the "button" and they've got your money, so don't let them tell you otherwise. The hotel clerk finally told me during my third call back that "well yes the hotel can do it but it's up to the general manager who will not speak directly to guests who book online prepaid reservations, he will only talk to the booking company" for reasons that were never clarified.

In summary, Choice Hotels did act on my behalf to fix a mistake that is likely the result of their own poor website design, but it took several calls and cost me more than it would have if I used a different site, so I would say if you use their services, be VERY careful before you hit "submit" on the payment screen. And if you do need to call them do not allow the agent to simply transfer the call and put you into a waiting queue - tell them you do not want to be released from their call until they've got a live person on the other end.

This is not a review of Choice hotels as they are independently owned. This complaint is directly pointed to the Choice Privilege Customer Service. I made a reservation for what I believed was two nights. Their system was going up and down so in the process I apparently booked one night. I could've simply booked the nights and paid $76 per night but reverted over to points to take advantage of the points I had. When I booked to reservation it said I had to pay $105 plus 6,000 points. Seemed to make sense considering it was $76 per night or $152 for two nights. I got the confirmation back but it showed 1 night. I thought this was an error because one night again was $76. No one would spend $105 plus 6,000 points for one night. Well my bad as I missed the changing of the dates as the system went down temporarily.

I had already called the reservation line and had a representative on the phone and they too thought this sounded correct for two nights but he did not book the rooms because his system too had gone down. By now you would think this is simply a mistake and could easily be rectified. Not so! Here is where the customer service fail comes in to the point I ended up with 4 hours of various conversations to get a consistent answer of "too bad". Even a supposed supervisor "Stephanie" would not get on the phone and simply spoke through the agent. What I've learned is the points system is managed by a separate entity, the hotels are owned independently and Choice Points is just that, a points administrative service. Great! Keeps accountability away from Choice Points.

What I hope to get out to the public is simple, it's about "Customer Service" people. They have shown that this is not a priority. You don't measure a good company and their commitment to customer service when things go as they should, you measure customer service and a company's commitments when things go wrong. What actions are taken to help resolve the issue, within reason, to satisfy their customers. To date, 1/16/17 this company has failed. I have tried to reach out to Anne Smith, Vice President of Corp Brand and Kelly Kane, Vice President of Corp Communication, both by voice mail at this point. I will continue to pursue this not because of the estimated loss of value is <$100 but because it's not a matter of principle. I believe it's not come upon me to let as many persons know about this experience as possible.

I'm sure whatever losses in revenue may come from others not participating in this program or dropping the program or even avoiding any affiliation to Choice Brand won't impact their bottom line, at least it will be known in the public domain that poor corporate policies and poor training in the area of customer service resulting in poor customer service at a time it truly should "shine" won't be tolerated. Look for other alternative to the Choice Brands, All Of Them. Regrettably, the independent hotel owners may be impacted by no fault of their own. I hope everyone will post any lack of customer service by the Choice Brand. I'll be updating this post as time goes on.

I booked online for a 4-night stay at a Comfort Inn in Houston. Unforeseen circumstances forced me to cancel my trip at the last second. When explaining this to the clerk as I was trying to cancel my reservation, she simply stated that I cannot have my money back, or credit for another stay. I was completely unaware that I had booked a non-refundable stay. Be very aware of the scamming that Choice Hotels does. Do not book online!!!

We went here for one night in room 103 (the first thing we noticed was a 22-round bullet out in the parking lot). The room smelled like cigarettes really strong then the closet door was not even installed. It was just sitting in front of the closet with no handle on it. The sink drain stopper was stuck in the stop position and wouldn't open, strands of hair on the sheets and the last straw was that the window had been forced open at some point and no longer locked. Since we were on the first floor we didn't feel safe. I then asked for a refund, since we only had the room for about 20 minutes, and the lady told me to call back in 3 days when the manager James would be available to do it for me. So there is no manager on staff the entire weekend

I called back on Monday to speak with manager and he says that we were there for 3 hours (not true at all, note that he was not there) and he said the room was trashed so he couldn't rent to other customers, which was also untrue. Me and my girlfriend checked the bed sheets so the blanket was pulled back and I used the bathroom (which is how I discovered the sink stopper was broken). He wants to just give us a 10% discount which is completely unacceptable. The manager says he will call me back, it has already been 2 hours... To be continued...

It is now Thursday, note we made our complaint on Monday, the manager James ** never called us back so we called the corporate office Choice Hotels that owns the hotel. They offered us a 50% discount, also unacceptable. I read that they have a customer satisfaction of 1.1 stars out of 5 on https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/choice_hotels.html

And I can see why. Even though they are completely in the wrong they refuse to do the right thing like a refund, apology for the inconvenience, and repair the room before making it available to people. A broken window latch on the first floor is NOT SAFE. Then they told us to convince James ** the manager who tried to just give us 10% for a refund. We tried calling the hotel and he went home at 3:30 pm early. Which didn't seem necessary to us, because he took the entire New Year's weekend off! Which is why we are in this mess to begin with!

I stayed at the comfort suites in Kansas City MO and woke up with something biting me and found the room was full of bedbugs. So I took pics. and grab a cup and took them down to front desk and told them they have bugs and my body is all eat up. She said she would have man spray in that room. I will never stay there anymore.

I had reserved a room using part points and part money. I cancelled the reservation a few days before the arrival date. When I got my credit card they had charged my account for the money part of the stay. I called Choice Privileges and told them that I had cancelled the room and was informed that they had credited the points back to my account but I would be charged for the room because I had bought points for the stay. I told them to take off the points from my account and credit my credit card. Both people I spoke with were rude and hateful and said that was not an option, No more Choice Privileges for me.

We've stayed at Choice Hotels for some 270 nights this year and have spent more time on the phone with them than anyone else in our life. First of all, I don't think any of these people have stayed in any of their Choice or Sleep Inn motels. Or ever inspected them. Or care about more than collecting their franchise fees. (See, e.g. the Sleep Inn University Pkwy Sarasota TripAdvisor reviews). But their rewards program is a mess.

First, we had problems joining because the hotel that issued it didn't do it correctly. Then, there's the E-mail offer that "you've won a free night after two night's stays". Nope, make that 8000 points toward a free night, which usually cost 12000 - 26000 here. Now, they send us a promotion that says "if you stay between December 15, 2016 and February 7, 2017, you'll be awarded double points for each night during that period". We stayed between December 14, 2016 through December 20, 2016. They wouldn't give us our points for December 15 through December 20, because they said we had to check in on December 15 to be eligible. Went back to the offer and it had four qualifications who has we met, and specifically said stay on the dates, nothing about when you check in. Like virtually every other rewards program.

But here's where their logic gets ridiculous - their rep told us that if we check in on December 15, but leave after February 7, we'll get our double points but not after that date. Get it? You can go one way, but not the other!? Just couldn't use logic to convince them they were wrong. This is all just too much trouble, dealing with these bureaucrats, who must have previously worked for the IRS. I'm done with all loyalty programs after this and won't ever stay in any Choice hotel until they inspect them and clean them up.

Choice Hotel online booking service is committing fraud. Several reviewers have had the same complaint. I booked my hotel online for Comfort Inn in Palo Alto, Ca. The dates were wrong, and I was charged for two rooms. I didn't realize that the date were changed in their (Choice) system automatically. As soon as I got my confirmation I called (10 minutes tops). I called the hotel first. The hotel stated that I would need to call Customer Affairs. Customer Affairs stated that I needed to contact the hotel. The hotel was willing to change the date and release one of the rooms for almost the same rate as having two rooms (a $20 saving).

Be very careful using website. The dates are pre populated and you can very easily book the wrong dates like I did... with no confirmation of what your transaction is after filling out your credit card information. The top of the page appears to be disconnected from the bottom. The top appears to be a mechanism for checking the availability of rooms on different dates. The bottom appears to be a mechanism to be where you would go to get the room.

However, when you click the bottom button it books you in the default dates above (12/25 in my case) that you never entered and does not ask you to confirm the dates. If you hit the back button to go back and fourth it will automatically book you for a second room. This website is clearly meant to Trick the customers into making non-refundable purchases they did not intend to make. Then they give you no opportunity to change it or remove it. The purchases are non-refundable and the bookings cannot be changed.

In the morning I booked a room before I departed for a trip with my daughter to visit a college. We arrived at the hotel and the clerk did not have our reservation. I looked at the confirmation info. I printed and somehow the date was not correct. The hotel was clearly not even close to filled, it was not as nice as advertised. However, the clerk would not give me a room for the night despite the fact that the date of my booking was 2 weeks away. She told me to call Choice Privilege, which I did but they told me it was too late and no one was available and to call back.

I called back the next day and Choice told me that my reservation could not be cancelled or changed. There was nothing I could. They said I should have been more careful when making reservations. That was it. The way the clerk at the hotel acted this was nothing new to her and I'm certain they will see some compensation from this. Do NOT use Choice Privileges! The whole experience seemed like some scam.

Twice now I have tried to participate in their "Buy 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion. Both times, I did something wrong. I chalked the first time up to me not paying attention. This last time I paid closer attention when I booked my 3-night stay at a Quality Inn in Mission Valley, CA (San Diego). When I checked out I was told I had not earned the free night I expected. So today I called Choice Hotels' Customer Service, thinking they would make good on what I thought was a mistake. Nope. The Customer Service rep basically told me that I hadn't read the terms correctly. Honestly, I don't recall seeing clear terms that needed to be followed. They had a very large image touting the "Buy 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion. So I asked to speak with a manager. I was told I could, BUT the manager would say the same thing (so basically, don't bother).

Since I have had this issue not once, but twice, it really feels like bait-and-switch. And it worked with me. I took the bait and spent $300 at their hotel. I'm not sure who else I can report that bait-and-switch to, but I'll keep looking because some organization needs to hold Choice Hotels accountable for such misleading images on their own website (that promise one thing and then deliver nothing). The single only reason I would ever stay at another Choice hotel is if it is about the only decent option for me. I will do all I can to find other options for all future hotel stays, unless Choice Hotels can, somehow, make good on what I still consider a mistake on their part.

The Choice Hotels points reward program has a "bait and switch" provision. The hotel is fine and the personnel is courteous. But the points rewards program is a scam. I tried to book a two day stay using my reward points. I clicked on the "24,000" point price. To my surprise the program kicked me out of "24,000" points and charged me 12,000 points plus $90 dollars "to buy additional points for my stay" using the credit card information stored in the system. I asked to be reimbursed and was told I will get back the 12,000 points and the points I "purchased" but not the $90 (By the way the price posted on the hotel website was $82). I tried to explain that I did not need to purchase points because I had more than enough in my account, but to no avail. This is a scam and Choice Hotels should be ashamed of it.

I booked a room using the 'Best Available' rate. I have done this for 20 years. When going through the 'book now' process nowhere did it say, 'This is a NON REFUNDABLE rate'. The cancellation policy was in fine print on the lower right. Since I have booked hundreds of rooms I did not review this cancellation policy. I NEVER book NON REFUNDABLE rates. It's not worth the saving of a few dollars. I am shocked that they are allowed to continue this practice. I have tried calling customer service. They called the hotel and they have refused to refund the charge. I think this is so deceptive. Other hotel chains it clearly states, 'This is a NON REFUNDABLE rate'. I think Choice has done this on purpose in order to deceive their guests. I will NEVER stay at another Choice Hotel again. Keeping my $87 is going to cost them thousands of dollars. Bad business practice and bad website.

PROBLEMS WITH RESERVATIONS: My wife and I take trips to the US several times a year. I myself travel several times a year to see relatives in other parts of Canada. We have always been pleased with the experience at Choice Hotels. We have always been pleased until we encountered a problem last night. We were going to book our room online at https://www.choicehotels.com. After entering the details – 1 room, two adults and the travel dates, we clicked on the “FIND HOTELS” button.

On the next page, we picked the Econolodge in Watertown, NY, where we have stayed a number of times and clicked on the “BOOK NOW” icon. In the “SELECT SPECIAL RATE” pull down menu, we picked Best Available rate. We then clicked on the “BOOK ROOM” icon for our selection: 1 room w/ 2 dbl beds SMOKING. Then, my wife reminded me that we had a CAA card and said maybe we should check the CAA/AAA price. So, In the “SELECT SPECIAL RATE” pull down menu, we then picked AAA/CAA PROGRAM RATE and clicked on the UPDATE icon.

We thought the UPDATE icon, when pressed, would simply update/refresh the page with the room rate info and that we could then click on the BOOK ROOM icon and make the final reservation for the room at that rate, In fact, from what I NOW gather, when the BOOK ROOM icon is pressed, a reservation is created. Going back and then selecting a different price from the pull down menu, clicking on the UPDATE icon, then the on BOOK ROOM icon, actually creates ANOTHER reservation.

On many online sites, there is much more detail on their UPDATE Buttons, such as Update Qty. or Update info. On the Choice website, there is NOT ENOUGH DETAIL as to the function of the UPDATE button. Because of that, we have ended up with TWO rooms when we needed ONLY one! We both do a lot of online shopping. We have never had this problem before. In our view, this poor design on your website is going to leave us on the hook for an additional $65.90 USD, as the reservations we made are NON REFUNDABLE!! We are both seniors and we do not have a lot of extra money.

I would ask that you take steps ASAP to make the necessary changes to the website so that other customers do not end up in the same boat as us. Note: BTW: The above is a letter sent to the Choice Hotels Webmaster so that others won't get screwed like we did. As for getting our money back? Not bloody likely! I called their Customer Service (?) line and was told - in so many words - nonrefundable reservations are exactly that... tough titty, Smitty! Ha Ha!

Choice Hotels Company Profile