Choice Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My husband & I were making reservations at the Quality Inn in Charleston, MO. We had sold our home and were making the plans for traveling to our new home. This city happened to be the approximate halfway point in our travels. I thought the online process went fine, but when I received the email confirmation, 2 rooms had been booked. I called the motel to cancel one of the rooms and was told that the room was already paid for and the reservation could not be canceled, changed, or refunded. I asked if I could change the date on the reservation and was told the same thing.

The motel has refused to fix the problem. The system is broken and the motel is taking advantage of the error in the system. Why should they correct the mistake since they are making money from it. Hotel/Motel management COULD choose to do the RIGHT thing and fix the obvious mistake, but they will not. I will no longer be requiring the services of any hotel/motel associated with Choice Hotels.

Don't waste your time. Corporate builds hotel, contracts them out to individual owners who can charge whatever they want. When there's a special event, they gouge your eyes out with ridiculous prices. Stayed 4 nights, 2 different weekends, 2 different places, & was told stay 2 nights, get a free one next visit. Still no free night. They'll BS YOU from customer service in the Philippines, and feed you a line of crap... This is what American is turning into. Buy a camper, stay at KOA, and you'll never stay at a hotel again.

Use extreme caution when booking online through Choice Hotels. I was searching hotels for my specific travel date and then a very discounted deal hotel appears, which did advertise it was not refundable. I click into it thinking oh that's a nice deal I guess I would buy this even though it's non-refundable because I knew I was going to be for sure staying in that area. Anyways once I clicked it, it had a countdown thing making it seem super limited like the deal was going to disappear if I didn't book right then and there, and so I quickly but still thoroughly overlooked everything and booked it.

2 weeks later I go to check into the hotel and worst thing ever happens, the reservation to my awful surprise, the check in date had passed. I was so confused, so I went back in my confirmation email which I didn't even think to double check initially because I triple checked the booking dates before finally booking, and sure enough the check-in date on my confirmation email was the same date that I booked it the hotel. Clearly that is not when I intended to stay, having already drove 3 1/2 hours and paid for the hotel, non refundable. I was shocked. it ruined my trip and all my plans because I had no other hotel to stay at due to a huge event in the area everyone was full.

I called Choice Hotels up, and told them what happened and I truly believe it was the system that error'd out during checkout because I triple checked the dates when booking. The hotel could not refund me, so they said they would open a system investigation and see if there really was an error. After following up with them, the investigation could see the original check-in dates I had searched for (which was NOT the same day I was booking), and then apparently when I had clicked on the flashy limited time only special discounted hotel stay, the dates RESET to the current date!!!

I still don't believe that I overlooked the check-in date when booking that discounted stay, but either way I told Choice Hotels that the website tricks you then, and I'm sure I'm not the only customer this has happened to. They design the website like that to RESET dates on purpose hoping that you overlook dates I guess and book a NON-refundable same day of purchase stay. I think it's so messed up. Choice knows what they're doing and I explained that's terrible customer service and poor website design that it would do that.

I asked could they please give me a courtesy one time refund for the inconvenience and the fact I didn't even get to stay at the hotel, and they said no, that because I could view the stay dates before confirming it was essentially my fault. However, it wasn't my fault the dates reset on me when I hit the special offer stay. And they just said next time I could call and book over the phone instead of online. Really, that's your solution rather than fixing your screwed up tricky design of a website? Great job with your customer service Choice, you have lost a once loyal Choice Privileges member. I advise everyone to steer clear of booking online with Choice Privileges.

I signed up for Choice International last night because they had a great rate on a hotel that we were looking to stay at next weekend so we could do some skiing in the Catskills in upstate NY. I made the reservation, entered payment, and when the confirmation page came up, the reservation date was not what I had expected it to be. After reading many reviews on this site later that evening it became evident that there is something really screwy with the Choice Hotels website and many people had the same issue where they attempted to make reservations but ended up with the wrong date. Whether it's intentional or a website glitch or simply poor design, is anyone's guess. I can't imagine what Choice Hotels would gain from purposely tricking customers into making reservations on the wrong date.

So I called Choice Hotels Customer service line and tried to change the reservation. It took several calls and several transfers which put me into waiting queues and I was disconnected twice after waiting about 15 minutes each time, but finally I was able to get someone on the line who at first said there's nothing they could do because the reservation was "prepaid nonrefundable". But after I leaned on them I was ultimately put in contact with a friendly, courteous agent whose name was "Marge" (I think) who called the hotel and get the reservations changed although the new rate for the correct day was about $20 more than the advertised one on another very well known booking site that I've used many times before with no issues (but the initial rate offered through Choice Hotels was less - that's why I tried them).

It was more stressful than it needed to be and I partially fault the hotel who I also called 3x, because the hapless hotel clerk first told me I have to call Choice, that there's nothing they can do when in fact the power to change the reservation lies completely with the hotel - it's in their system, they've got the "button" and they've got your money, so don't let them tell you otherwise. The hotel clerk finally told me during my third call back that "well yes the hotel can do it but it's up to the general manager who will not speak directly to guests who book online prepaid reservations, he will only talk to the booking company" for reasons that were never clarified.

In summary, Choice Hotels did act on my behalf to fix a mistake that is likely the result of their own poor website design, but it took several calls and cost me more than it would have if I used a different site, so I would say if you use their services, be VERY careful before you hit "submit" on the payment screen. And if you do need to call them do not allow the agent to simply transfer the call and put you into a waiting queue - tell them you do not want to be released from their call until they've got a live person on the other end.

This is not a review of Choice hotels as they are independently owned. This complaint is directly pointed to the Choice Privilege Customer Service. I made a reservation for what I believed was two nights. Their system was going up and down so in the process I apparently booked one night. I could've simply booked the nights and paid $76 per night but reverted over to points to take advantage of the points I had. When I booked to reservation it said I had to pay $105 plus 6,000 points. Seemed to make sense considering it was $76 per night or $152 for two nights. I got the confirmation back but it showed 1 night. I thought this was an error because one night again was $76. No one would spend $105 plus 6,000 points for one night. Well my bad as I missed the changing of the dates as the system went down temporarily.

I had already called the reservation line and had a representative on the phone and they too thought this sounded correct for two nights but he did not book the rooms because his system too had gone down. By now you would think this is simply a mistake and could easily be rectified. Not so! Here is where the customer service fail comes in to the point I ended up with 4 hours of various conversations to get a consistent answer of "too bad". Even a supposed supervisor "Stephanie" would not get on the phone and simply spoke through the agent. What I've learned is the points system is managed by a separate entity, the hotels are owned independently and Choice Points is just that, a points administrative service. Great! Keeps accountability away from Choice Points.

What I hope to get out to the public is simple, it's about "Customer Service" people. They have shown that this is not a priority. You don't measure a good company and their commitment to customer service when things go as they should, you measure customer service and a company's commitments when things go wrong. What actions are taken to help resolve the issue, within reason, to satisfy their customers. To date, 1/16/17 this company has failed. I have tried to reach out to Anne Smith, Vice President of Corp Brand and Kelly Kane, Vice President of Corp Communication, both by voice mail at this point. I will continue to pursue this not because of the estimated loss of value is <$100 but because it's not a matter of principle. I believe it's not come upon me to let as many persons know about this experience as possible.

I'm sure whatever losses in revenue may come from others not participating in this program or dropping the program or even avoiding any affiliation to Choice Brand won't impact their bottom line, at least it will be known in the public domain that poor corporate policies and poor training in the area of customer service resulting in poor customer service at a time it truly should "shine" won't be tolerated. Look for other alternative to the Choice Brands, All Of Them. Regrettably, the independent hotel owners may be impacted by no fault of their own. I hope everyone will post any lack of customer service by the Choice Brand. I'll be updating this post as time goes on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

I booked online for a 4-night stay at a Comfort Inn in Houston. Unforeseen circumstances forced me to cancel my trip at the last second. When explaining this to the clerk as I was trying to cancel my reservation, she simply stated that I cannot have my money back, or credit for another stay. I was completely unaware that I had booked a non-refundable stay. Be very aware of the scamming that Choice Hotels does. Do not book online!!!

We went here for one night in room 103 (the first thing we noticed was a 22-round bullet out in the parking lot). The room smelled like cigarettes really strong then the closet door was not even installed. It was just sitting in front of the closet with no handle on it. The sink drain stopper was stuck in the stop position and wouldn't open, strands of hair on the sheets and the last straw was that the window had been forced open at some point and no longer locked. Since we were on the first floor we didn't feel safe. I then asked for a refund, since we only had the room for about 20 minutes, and the lady told me to call back in 3 days when the manager James would be available to do it for me. So there is no manager on staff the entire weekend

I called back on Monday to speak with manager and he says that we were there for 3 hours (not true at all, note that he was not there) and he said the room was trashed so he couldn't rent to other customers, which was also untrue. Me and my girlfriend checked the bed sheets so the blanket was pulled back and I used the bathroom (which is how I discovered the sink stopper was broken). He wants to just give us a 10% discount which is completely unacceptable. The manager says he will call me back, it has already been 2 hours... To be continued...

It is now Thursday, note we made our complaint on Monday, the manager James ** never called us back so we called the corporate office Choice Hotels that owns the hotel. They offered us a 50% discount, also unacceptable. I read that they have a customer satisfaction of 1.1 stars out of 5 on https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/choice_hotels.html

And I can see why. Even though they are completely in the wrong they refuse to do the right thing like a refund, apology for the inconvenience, and repair the room before making it available to people. A broken window latch on the first floor is NOT SAFE. Then they told us to convince James ** the manager who tried to just give us 10% for a refund. We tried calling the hotel and he went home at 3:30 pm early. Which didn't seem necessary to us, because he took the entire New Year's weekend off! Which is why we are in this mess to begin with!

I stayed at the comfort suites in Kansas City MO and woke up with something biting me and found the room was full of bedbugs. So I took pics. and grab a cup and took them down to front desk and told them they have bugs and my body is all eat up. She said she would have man spray in that room. I will never stay there anymore.

I had reserved a room using part points and part money. I cancelled the reservation a few days before the arrival date. When I got my credit card they had charged my account for the money part of the stay. I called Choice Privileges and told them that I had cancelled the room and was informed that they had credited the points back to my account but I would be charged for the room because I had bought points for the stay. I told them to take off the points from my account and credit my credit card. Both people I spoke with were rude and hateful and said that was not an option, No more Choice Privileges for me.

We've stayed at Choice Hotels for some 270 nights this year and have spent more time on the phone with them than anyone else in our life. First of all, I don't think any of these people have stayed in any of their Choice or Sleep Inn motels. Or ever inspected them. Or care about more than collecting their franchise fees. (See, e.g. the Sleep Inn University Pkwy Sarasota TripAdvisor reviews). But their rewards program is a mess.

First, we had problems joining because the hotel that issued it didn't do it correctly. Then, there's the E-mail offer that "you've won a free night after two night's stays". Nope, make that 8000 points toward a free night, which usually cost 12000 - 26000 here. Now, they send us a promotion that says "if you stay between December 15, 2016 and February 7, 2017, you'll be awarded double points for each night during that period". We stayed between December 14, 2016 through December 20, 2016. They wouldn't give us our points for December 15 through December 20, because they said we had to check in on December 15 to be eligible. Went back to the offer and it had four qualifications who has we met, and specifically said stay on the dates, nothing about when you check in. Like virtually every other rewards program.

But here's where their logic gets ridiculous - their rep told us that if we check in on December 15, but leave after February 7, we'll get our double points but not after that date. Get it? You can go one way, but not the other!? Just couldn't use logic to convince them they were wrong. This is all just too much trouble, dealing with these bureaucrats, who must have previously worked for the IRS. I'm done with all loyalty programs after this and won't ever stay in any Choice hotel until they inspect them and clean them up.

Choice Hotel online booking service is committing fraud. Several reviewers have had the same complaint. I booked my hotel online for Comfort Inn in Palo Alto, Ca. The dates were wrong, and I was charged for two rooms. I didn't realize that the date were changed in their (Choice) system automatically. As soon as I got my confirmation I called (10 minutes tops). I called the hotel first. The hotel stated that I would need to call Customer Affairs. Customer Affairs stated that I needed to contact the hotel. The hotel was willing to change the date and release one of the rooms for almost the same rate as having two rooms (a $20 saving).

Be very careful using website. The dates are pre populated and you can very easily book the wrong dates like I did... with no confirmation of what your transaction is after filling out your credit card information. The top of the page appears to be disconnected from the bottom. The top appears to be a mechanism for checking the availability of rooms on different dates. The bottom appears to be a mechanism to be where you would go to get the room.

However, when you click the bottom button it books you in the default dates above (12/25 in my case) that you never entered and does not ask you to confirm the dates. If you hit the back button to go back and fourth it will automatically book you for a second room. This website is clearly meant to Trick the customers into making non-refundable purchases they did not intend to make. Then they give you no opportunity to change it or remove it. The purchases are non-refundable and the bookings cannot be changed.

In the morning I booked a room before I departed for a trip with my daughter to visit a college. We arrived at the hotel and the clerk did not have our reservation. I looked at the confirmation info. I printed and somehow the date was not correct. The hotel was clearly not even close to filled, it was not as nice as advertised. However, the clerk would not give me a room for the night despite the fact that the date of my booking was 2 weeks away. She told me to call Choice Privilege, which I did but they told me it was too late and no one was available and to call back.

I called back the next day and Choice told me that my reservation could not be cancelled or changed. There was nothing I could. They said I should have been more careful when making reservations. That was it. The way the clerk at the hotel acted this was nothing new to her and I'm certain they will see some compensation from this. Do NOT use Choice Privileges! The whole experience seemed like some scam.

Twice now I have tried to participate in their "Buy 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion. Both times, I did something wrong. I chalked the first time up to me not paying attention. This last time I paid closer attention when I booked my 3-night stay at a Quality Inn in Mission Valley, CA (San Diego). When I checked out I was told I had not earned the free night I expected. So today I called Choice Hotels' Customer Service, thinking they would make good on what I thought was a mistake. Nope. The Customer Service rep basically told me that I hadn't read the terms correctly. Honestly, I don't recall seeing clear terms that needed to be followed. They had a very large image touting the "Buy 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion. So I asked to speak with a manager. I was told I could, BUT the manager would say the same thing (so basically, don't bother).

Since I have had this issue not once, but twice, it really feels like bait-and-switch. And it worked with me. I took the bait and spent $300 at their hotel. I'm not sure who else I can report that bait-and-switch to, but I'll keep looking because some organization needs to hold Choice Hotels accountable for such misleading images on their own website (that promise one thing and then deliver nothing). The single only reason I would ever stay at another Choice hotel is if it is about the only decent option for me. I will do all I can to find other options for all future hotel stays, unless Choice Hotels can, somehow, make good on what I still consider a mistake on their part.

The Choice Hotels points reward program has a "bait and switch" provision. The hotel is fine and the personnel is courteous. But the points rewards program is a scam. I tried to book a two day stay using my reward points. I clicked on the "24,000" point price. To my surprise the program kicked me out of "24,000" points and charged me 12,000 points plus $90 dollars "to buy additional points for my stay" using the credit card information stored in the system. I asked to be reimbursed and was told I will get back the 12,000 points and the points I "purchased" but not the $90 (By the way the price posted on the hotel website was $82). I tried to explain that I did not need to purchase points because I had more than enough in my account, but to no avail. This is a scam and Choice Hotels should be ashamed of it.

I booked a room using the 'Best Available' rate. I have done this for 20 years. When going through the 'book now' process nowhere did it say, 'This is a NON REFUNDABLE rate'. The cancellation policy was in fine print on the lower right. Since I have booked hundreds of rooms I did not review this cancellation policy. I NEVER book NON REFUNDABLE rates. It's not worth the saving of a few dollars. I am shocked that they are allowed to continue this practice. I have tried calling customer service. They called the hotel and they have refused to refund the charge. I think this is so deceptive. Other hotel chains it clearly states, 'This is a NON REFUNDABLE rate'. I think Choice has done this on purpose in order to deceive their guests. I will NEVER stay at another Choice Hotel again. Keeping my $87 is going to cost them thousands of dollars. Bad business practice and bad website.

PROBLEMS WITH RESERVATIONS: My wife and I take trips to the US several times a year. I myself travel several times a year to see relatives in other parts of Canada. We have always been pleased with the experience at Choice Hotels. We have always been pleased until we encountered a problem last night. We were going to book our room online at https://www.choicehotels.com. After entering the details – 1 room, two adults and the travel dates, we clicked on the “FIND HOTELS” button.

On the next page, we picked the Econolodge in Watertown, NY, where we have stayed a number of times and clicked on the “BOOK NOW” icon. In the “SELECT SPECIAL RATE” pull down menu, we picked Best Available rate. We then clicked on the “BOOK ROOM” icon for our selection: 1 room w/ 2 dbl beds SMOKING. Then, my wife reminded me that we had a CAA card and said maybe we should check the CAA/AAA price. So, In the “SELECT SPECIAL RATE” pull down menu, we then picked AAA/CAA PROGRAM RATE and clicked on the UPDATE icon.

We thought the UPDATE icon, when pressed, would simply update/refresh the page with the room rate info and that we could then click on the BOOK ROOM icon and make the final reservation for the room at that rate, In fact, from what I NOW gather, when the BOOK ROOM icon is pressed, a reservation is created. Going back and then selecting a different price from the pull down menu, clicking on the UPDATE icon, then the on BOOK ROOM icon, actually creates ANOTHER reservation.

On many online sites, there is much more detail on their UPDATE Buttons, such as Update Qty. or Update info. On the Choice website, there is NOT ENOUGH DETAIL as to the function of the UPDATE button. Because of that, we have ended up with TWO rooms when we needed ONLY one! We both do a lot of online shopping. We have never had this problem before. In our view, this poor design on your website is going to leave us on the hook for an additional $65.90 USD, as the reservations we made are NON REFUNDABLE!! We are both seniors and we do not have a lot of extra money.

I would ask that you take steps ASAP to make the necessary changes to the website so that other customers do not end up in the same boat as us. Note: BTW: The above is a letter sent to the Choice Hotels Webmaster so that others won't get screwed like we did. As for getting our money back? Not bloody likely! I called their Customer Service (?) line and was told - in so many words - nonrefundable reservations are exactly that... tough titty, Smitty! Ha Ha!

I went to log into my account for choice rewards and it said not a valid member. I made a new profile and reserved my room. I then get a message from my "other account I don't have". I called to combine both accounts and they can't? Rude people, hotels are not clean, rugs smell moldy. Myself and kids all had stuffy noses while in the hotel when we left we were fine. Something's not right. We stayed at 2 different hotels in different cities. I am definitely sticking with Wyndham rewards. I just thought I would try a different chain of hotels.

I made a reservation online. When the confirmation came back it had the wrong dates. I called the hotel and they said they couldn't change the dates and I had to call the call center. The call center said they couldn't change the dates and I should speak to their customer relations. After being on hold for an hour I hung up. Everyone told me how they couldn't fix my problem but no one told me how they could fix my problem. Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Briefly, two examples. 1- lady at front fest uses my loyalty number and tells me my stat counts toward points. Later, I call in to use them and they said since they gave the room at a discounted rate (?) they could not give points. 2- I stay at a hotel three weeks and earn enough for one free night. I could go on and on. I will intentionally never use Choice ever again, even though they call me Platinum.

I spent 2 nights with my son there. On night one, I complained to the front desk that it smelled like someone was cooking meth a few rooms down from me. The clerk laughed and said "Only in the hotel business, huh?" The carpet was dirty, there were stains in the bathroom, the pool looked like a dirty hot tub and was only about 15x15' in size. The breakfast was an hour late and the clerk wasn't at the front desk when we tried to leave at 8 am. The clerk called me a liar when I called back about items we left in the room and of course the belongings we accidentally left behind were nowhere to be found. I travel regularly for business (150 nights a year) and this was my worst experience ever. I was a Diamond member with them but this was the last straw.

I book the room for a day of fun at Carowinds. We checked late on October 29. When we stepped off the elevator you could smell a strong musky smell. Our room was at the very end of the hallway in the corner. I open the door and it hit you in the face a very strong mold smell. It was late so switching rooms was out of the question. So we went to bed and with son having two nose bleeds. I looked around and took pictures. There was two places above door with dark mold and the door has mold on it. The light next to the door has mold on it as well. The bathroom had mold around tub and dark hair everywhere. The toilet wouldn't flush either. The covers had stains on them. For me to pay 120 a night for my stay that was ridiculous. I am very unhappy with my night stay. Also my son having nose bleeds from the mold should not have happened!!

I made 3 day reservation for points +$$. Called Choice before finalizing and asked if I need to cancel a day can I do it? "They" said ok before 6pm. Now receptionist at hotel (helpful for 40 minutes on phone for me with corporate) couldn't do at hotel. Corporate 3 times told us to call 888-770-6800... The same # we called to end up with them. Even supervisor told hotel employee she was being transferred. Even though she pointed that she was the supervisor, and why couldn't she as supervisor handle the call!! So no one would answer. So I suggest if you are stuck with Choice points to use... do 1 night at a time, 3 or 4 times etc. in more nights are planned but you could have to check out early as I did. I likely will go to other hotel chain (member at Choice since 2004).

Seeking refuge from the hurricane we checked into the Comfort Inn and Suites on 10/7/16 located on Al Henderson Blvd, in Savannah, GA. We were greeted with an ominous sign walking into the hotel explaining amongst other things that housekeeping and breakfast would be disbanded for the duration. The sign did clarify that basic food items would be available to guests.

Checking in the gentlemen behind the counter told us the following: 1) The hotel had a generator. 2) If power was lost, to stay in our rooms and a staff member would visit room and check in (until power was up and running). He also asked us to sign a waiver that said the hotel was not participating in price gouging. No choice was given in this matter if we wanted to stay. As he was defending the asking price I pointed out that many businesses were offering discounted and even free rooms to accommodate the evacuees. He told us the asking price of 150/night was a special price for the Hurricane. Having 0 options, we put several hundred dollars on our card. We thought at least we will be in a sturdy building with power and have access to basic food items.

So the Hurricane hits. Power goes out. No one checks on us. At first I thought it was because of the hour. Slowly I realized we were fending for ourselves. Eventually I had to leave the room. I went to the dark stairwell and was startled by 2 men hanging out in there. I went to other stairwell and made my way to lobby. I went to front desk and inquired when generator would be up and running. It was at this point I learned that the hotel did not have one. I asked about food and was given the same answer.

Day 2 was spent in a dark, hot room on the third floor. No food and no welfare checks. No working elevators, and since I have a disability this was a huge problem trying to navigate stairs. Ironically I noticed 5 generator rental trucks in parking lot. It appears that Choice Hotels acted in a deceptive manner to secure our business. They forced us to sign documents in exchange for shelter (of which we never received a copy). This strong-arm approach seems illegal. They made promises at check-in they had not planned on keeping. We are seeking a refund. I wrote to Choice Hotels and received this reply:

"After looking into the concerns you raised, I reached out to the hotel to get further details surrounding your experience. I was advised by the General Manager that due to the mandatory evacuation being issued on Wednesday, October 5, 2016 all guests were required to sign a waiver authorizing to stay at their own risk. The hotel did state that basic food items would possibly be available but this was not guaranteed. As it turns out the United States President and local news stations prepared residences and business owners of the approach and severity of Hurricane Matthew. With this in mind the hotel was limited on staff as some employees chose to evacuate as instructed by authorities. We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and hope that you can look past this experience and consider staying with Choice Hotels in the future."

This response does not address the issues and by its own admission was not fully operational. If they are standing by this, they had no business taking in guests. By making false claims at check-in they took away options for this of us in extraordinary circumstances. Our total bill came to 358.04, which seems even higher than the 150 quoted.

The deception has cost the corporation and therefore the franchises. We have always thought we had great experiences with our stays. The "stay 2 nights, get one free" is total baloney. I feel bad for the people at the front desks who have to promote it. The 800 and 888 numbers can't "hear" you and cut you off. The fact that there is 72 hour wait before your stay is posted makes you not eligible for 3 days, so traveling across the country wouldn't make a free stay eligible. AND the whole thing is based on points. Also, all your stays don't get posted unless you correct them. Stayed 4 times, have something like 2500 points, eligible for nothing. So, they have lost my business. Tonight I went across the street to a Drury Hotel. Cheaper and much better service.

Choice Hotels however is a complete disgrace. Was promised my 3rd night would be free per their promotion and their agent who made the 3rd night reservation. He stated I had to call back 72 hours after my 2nd stay to change my reservation from my credit card to points. He assured me there would be no issues with this, so I went ahead and changed my flight to stay an extra day. When I called they informed me their agent was wrong and I would have to pay the full sum. After hours of back and forth they agreed to go back to their recording of the call and if they determined their agent had in fact misinformed me that they would credit my credit card. After not hearing back for 10 days I followed up, and despite the fact they agree their agent misinformed me, they still refused to credit my account. They finally agreed to provide me with half of what I paid. Total disgrace for a national chain who can't stand by their workers.

I was told if I stayed at 2 different Quality Inn's on 2 different visits I would receive another day free on my next visit (Choice reward). After checking into 2 different Quality Inns I tried to find out more about the free one night stay. I was told I could use my first stay and I asked why not and they only mentioned it wasn't done by Quality Inn. I disagreed with this response and explained that "I did stay at your hotel and that I was there 4 nights." He said "That didn't matter" and I asked "Even if I have been a long and loyal customer?" He said "None of that mattered."

I asked for a manager to talk to and he gave me the customer service number 800-300-8800 ext 3. I called it 3 different times and each time I got a response "I can't answer that question. I have to transfer you over to customer service." Every time I got the transfer I got cut off... I would call back and ask for help again the same message and transferred and then cut off.

If this is how you treat loyal customers how do you expect to receive favorable reviews? I have used your hotels for over 20 years and enjoyed the cleanliness and good service but this response to my questions (being hung up on) is it truly loyal to your customers? I would really like to talk to somebody so I could understand what is going on and why no one wantt to hear what I have to say.

I'm a self employed artist poor enough to qualify for Obamacare. I can't afford to do too many out of state shows right now but I have one that I've been doing in Portland for the last several years. Last year I ended up staying at the Comfort Inn in downtown Portland at the convention center for an event I vend at because I'd forgotten to make my usual reservation at the nearby Motel 6 in time. I had been pleased with my accommodations at the time and decided to stay there again this year.

Full Disclosure: I made a mistake and booked the room twice. They tell me that I booked it 3 times but I only find 2 confirmations (April and June). They claim I also booked in November. The event is in September. Most motels don't let you book more than 6 months in advance in my experience. At any rate, the reason I accidentally booked twice is that I had originally booked it through Hotels dot com and forgot I had done that. That account has an older email address for me.

When I was checking to ensure I had a room reserved I was checking my more current email account and couldn't find a room confirmation so I made a new reservation in June. Since they were the same exact reservation, I didn't realize I had more than one when I was getting room reminders close to the event (I got 2 reminders, not 3 - just to be clear). I thought there was either a system glitch or that they were being really proactive. My name was the only name on the reservation.

When I got to the Quality Inn (at 4:30 pm) and checked in, no one asked if I was checking into all my rooms. No one said or indicated in any way that I had more than one reservation. I have asked around to families and friends I know who have made multiple room reservations on a regular basis when they are on family vacations. Everyone said they have ALWAYS been checked into all their rooms when they check in. I will grant there may be exceptions to this rule but that is the norm. This is a sticking point for me because of what happened next.

Since I'm vending at an event I'm up early and gone most of the day and I check out early on the 2nd day. One of the reasons I chose this motel is that I could opt to pay $5 to leave my car there on Sunday and pick it up after I'm done at the event - which saves me time, money and aggravation. I'm a self employed artist and money is a factor. Another reason I chose this motel is that it has a refrigerator and microwave. I bring food with me to events to save on restaurant costs. All extra expenses cut into any profits I make and I have bills to pay. As I was having my morning coffee I checked my email and found 2 notices that I had been charged a room not for being a "no show".

I immediately called the front desk and told them I didn't understand why I got these notices since I was checked in and had stayed the night. The person working the front desk looked into it and said it looked like I had multiple reservations. I couldn't believe it! I have NEVER done this before! I said that there must have been a mistake and that I certainly didn't intend to book two rooms. I wondered if I'd accidentally clicked something twice while booking the room online or what. They said they would have to have the manager look into it when they got in. I said that I was going to be working at the show so had to leave but was fine with hearing back later so long as it's being worked on. This was around 8 AM.

At 4 PM I had not heard back nor were there any missed calls or messages indicated on my phone so I called up the motel. I was told that the manager said there were 3 reservations in my name so that's why I was charged the no show fee. I said I don't know how that happened and that I would have cancelled them if I knew. They indicated the manager said the charges were going to stand. I got upset at this point and raised my voice and said I didn't accept that. They told me I'd have to talk to the manager as they have no authorization to do anything.

When I got off the phone I sent a reply on one of the "no show" invoices I received that there had been a mistake, no one had said anything about me having multiple reservations when I checked in and I didn't think it was fair I got charged a "no show" fee when I hadn't been told so that I could have cancelled. At that point I had to let it go and get on with working the show and hope I could sort it out that evening.

When I got back to the motel that evening I stopped into the front desk and apologized to the staff person there for getting agitated at them on the phone. They went and got a sealed envelope and said it was from the manager who had tried to call me (I checked and there were no missed calls or voicemail indicated on my phone nor a message left on the room phone). I got up to my room and opened it. It was from the Assistant Manager who said (in short) that I'd made three reservations (in Nov, Apr & June) and that since they had a 24 hour cancellation notice I wouldn't have been able to cancel when I checked in anyway. At that point I started Tweeting about my experience and got a reply from Choice Hotels inviting me to send the details to: chsm@ChoiceHotels.com. I did and then Tweeted back that an email had been sent (which they later liked).

Then next morning I had a reply from the "General Manager" (no name given) in response to my previous email that was very unsympathetic and kind of rude where I was told I was solely responsible for checking into all my rooms and that it was not their job to tell me I had more than one reservation. How I was supposed to do this when I was unaware of multiple bookings is beyond me. I sent another reply which I cc to the email address I was given in the Tweet asking that and pointed out that since my name was the only one on the reservations that I was the only one who could check in so, logically, they should have checked me into all of them when I arrived and that I felt not doing so was a dishonest way of doing business and ensuring I would get charged.

I also think it was a dumb move because they probably could have re-booked the rooms if they'd let me release them. I pointed out that had they sent a simple email or called to verify that I meant to make multiple reservations this whole issue could have been avoided and I would have been a very vocal loyal customer. I pointed out that while they may gain in the short term by insisting on charging me that I would hardly ever utilize their services before and I would not have anything good to say about them to anyone I knew - including the many other artists and vendors I work with at these shows. Apparently that's not important to them.

Friends and family who I talked to about this wanted me to contact my credit card company and wanted to make angry calls on my behalf but I said I wanted to give the corporate office time to respond and that I likely couldn't talk to either until Monday anyway. I don't have a laptop for travel, only my phone. I wanted to do a bit more research when I got home because I could not believe I'd made three reservations. I have searched both email addresses and only found the two.

This morning (9/12/16) I received another unsympathetic and unfriendly email from the General Manager saying they would not remove any of the charges. The only recourse I have left is to contact my credit card company to dispute at least one of the charges and may have to engage a lawyer. I get that they have policies to protect themselves. I'm not happy about extra charges but I could accept a reduced charge for the ONE other reservation I found a confirmation for. From reading other reviews here it looks doubtful I would have been able to cancel and get a refund regardless. At best they completely FAIL at customer service.

I recently stayed at the Choice Hotel in Newport News,Va. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with suggestions for things to do in the area as well as supplying me with toilet paper and towels when needed. We were left with a small amount of toilet paper and tissues when the room was cleaned. The towel issue was my fault. I forgot to leave the used towels on the floor so they would know I wanted clean towels. Still frustrating. My biggest complaint is with the woman who was working the dining area for breakfast. This hotel does not have a bar or restaurant, they do offer a free breakfast until 9:30 on weekdays. I showed up at 9:15 and while I was making breakfast the woman was cleaning up the utensils and the food that was left over while working around me. Between the woman taking everything that was left and some of the other guests loading up plates to take on the go I was livid and decided to leave.

I didn't expect much with the type of breakfast that they offered. It was more about the way the woman was rude about cleaning up everything 15 minutes early and while I was there apparently in her way. This was my first experience with this type of hotel and I was not to impressed. The heated pool was not heated but in a room that was 87 degrees. Be prepared for the key cards to not work. I had to get 3 in my 5 day stay. The hotel was clean and nice and the noise level was ok.

I was looking for a quick getaway with my family and searched the website for two specific categories, a pool and free breakfast. We didn't really care where we stayed as long as they had those two things. Well, Clarion hotel came up as an option for this. I should have done more research, but was so happy to see something not too pricey and with everything we needed. I booked it. One small popup came up that whole time telling me that you couldn't cancel because of how cheap it was. I thought against that, but there weren't any other options for a double room. Nothing else was showing up. So I selected that not thinking anything of it. I'm so excited about my find and tell my kids. They look into the hotel more, something I didn't think of doing in my excitement. Little did I know, the hotel pool IS OUTSIDE AND CLOSED.

I called the hotel within minutes of ordering hoping to cancel and find something else. Was told to call Choice Hotels. Called them and was on hold for over 20 minutes each time, and every time I went into my problem, they would tell me a different number to call. Meanwhile, I WAS CALLING THAT EXACT NUMBER. They kept saying call this, and I was trying to explain that I had called that. One finally said he would put me on hold with a supervisor. I was on hold for that for almost an hour when I finally had to hang up. I also emailed them, and when I told them my problem, they never replied! I don't understand why this has to be such a difficult thing. I understand that it's non refundable. But what about if I don't want to cancel but would rather just be at a hotel that has a pool! Needless to say, I wish I read more into this website before I did anything. We travel all the time, and this is the worst I've ever been treated.

Choice Hotels Company Profile