Choice Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I stayed at two Clarion Choice Hotels, Virginia Beach, VA in June and Charlotte, SC443 in July. Both had the same problems. Non-working telephones, the non-smoking rooms had a bad smell of smoke. Virginia Beach the floor was so dirty you didn't want to walk on it. We were given another room not much difference. Charlotte the walls had dead bugs on them. A child had color one wall red, blue and green. Bathroom the show soap dish was broken off and in the floor. the plaster on the balcony was hang off.

Choice Hotels terrible customer service is not service at all. It is all in another country. They never fix any problems, can't understand half of what they say, Wait time was over 25 minutes to speak to someone. Then she connected me to another 20 minute wait, I finally hung up and started again. Aaagghhh! I can't stand this chain anymore. Hotels are getting very high priced and crappier looking. I am in one now, it smells of mold, has a dirty office chair, floor is not clean, bathroom mirror looks like a dirty rag wiped over it. I have been staying at choice hotels almost 15 years now, I will be changing hotel chains to a different one starting my next stay. DO NOT STAY AT THESE CRAPPY PLACES.

The room (Room 106 at 1201 US Hwy 17N, Surfside Beach, SC 297575) was not clean and had a very bad smell in the room. Found out the room had a defect in the air con that put out moisture out in the room. Clothes and furniture were damp. We stay from Sunday to Wednesday morning. Went to office. Put complaint in Monday morning and they give us a dehumidifier for the room like that helped. The furniture to put the clothes in was wet and terrible smell. There was a woman that worked there. Heard the conversation and said that there has been complaints about this room prior to me arriving.

My grandson and I both got sick, had to go to the doctor for this problem. Needless to say the vacation was ruined and now we have doctor bill on top of that and I am still sick and have miss work for a week. This was very unacceptable and this room should not be used at all and we should have been giving a new room right away. I can not believe the way I was treated and the room. I have stay at lots of Comfort Inn and never had this problem. I would like a reply to my email and a full refund.

Stay away from using the app or Choice Hotels in general. I reserved a single room and canceled 2 weeks out. But was still charged. I was then told that I reserved 2 rooms. Both my confirmation and cancellation numbers indicate a single room. Now I'm forced to fight to get my money back. Their customer service is trouble. Have to wait in excess of 20 minutes on hold to even talk to somebody. Even then that person isn't empowered to help you. Told they will investigate and get back to you in days. Of course I never heard back. Had to dispute it with the credit card to get my money. Stay away!!!!

I booked a date and confirmed as different rate. "Within a minute" I called them to resolve the issue. They said, "It may be a software glitch, but we can't help." They did not help. THEY GAVE SEVERAL NUMBERS. NO ONE RESOLVED. I lost my money. Friends DON'T TRUST CHOICE HOTELS. They are unprofessionals and cheap. My confirmation is **. Booked date: June 19. Requested date for hotel June 16 but I confirmation as July 5.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

When I purchased points through Choice Hotels many times it's been cancelled. When I contacted them for getting the reason they told me to contact POINTS.com. In the meantime they have increased the hotel price. Again when I tried to contact them I have been put in queue for more than 10 minutes every time. But not connected.

Quality Inn Hemet, CA - I recently booked 11 rooms ($3,000) worth of rooms for our football team's tournament. I called 4 times to assure everything was okay and booked. I faxed my CC info, IDs and everything they asked over to them. Once again calling after to make sure everything was okay. I receive a call 1 week before our travel date to a woman saying, "I am sorry, but your reservation fell through the system." Well what does this mean for us? Apparently it means nothing because she said there was nothing she or anyone could do because the rooms were booked by other people. I kept explaining to her that I called numerous times to ensure everything was good to go and I kept getting the same answer, "Yes, everything is good to go." This is VERY frustrating and we now had to scramble around to find rooms for our football team.

My family and I stayed at the Quality Inn in Duluth Ga for 2 nights. I went up to the front desk to pay for another night. The lady swiped my card, proceeded to tell me that my card was declined, and told me we had to be out by 11. I checked my bank account, and the money for room had came out, even though she claimed my card was declined. I even showed the lady my account and where the money had came out, and she still claimed that it wasn't paid, and told us that if we weren't out by 11, she would call the police. I ended up having to call my bank and put a stop payment on the money, so I wouldn't get screwed. Also, we've stayed there twice this summer. No extra night, no gift card as they advertise. We will never stay there again. That hotel isn't even worth the price anyway. And the breakfast is disgusting. Not recommended!

I planned a trip with my son and my sister to our hometown in Manitoba, so in April I started to book our rooms. I knew there was a possibility that we may have to change the travel dates, so I made sure the rooms I booked would allow me to make changes without being charged. As predicted, I did have to make some changes, and did so at all 3 of the hotels I had booked, including the Comfort Inn and Suites (Choice Hotel) in Virden Manitoba. My travel dates had to change again, and this time I had to actually cancel the rooms, and it was no problem at all with the first 2 hotels, but when it came to Choice Hotels it was a big problem. I sent them an email explaining that my computer had a glitch and I had lost some of my emails, one being my confirmation # for the room I had booked with them.

At that time I told them I needed to cancel the room. They responded and told me it was a non refundable room, and that I couldn't cancel it, and there was nothing they could do about it. So I phoned and talked to several people, but they all refused to let me cancel. I told the last guy I talked to that I will never stay at a Choice Hotel again, and asked him to cancel the 2 nights I had booked at the Clarion in Brandon. He did so, but he didn't even care! So they lost a 2 night stay because they refused to cancel a 1 night stay. Doesn't make sense to me. So, I wonder what happens now, I won't be there to use the room, so does it just sit empty for the night? I bet they will book it again, and get double the money! It shocks me that a big hotel chain would be like this.

For the last week I stayed in one of your Choice hotels, in Alachua, FL. First, let me start by saying that I had 2 of my daughters with me (one of which has severe asthma, the other has an 8 month old infant, who was also with us and WOULD have been crawling on the floor had I not been so disgusted when I first walked into the room). We traveled almost 1600 miles from Missouri, so by the time we got to the hotel, we were extremely tired and were hoping (and expecting) a clean and ready to crawl into bed. We were given anything but clean. There were beer cans and food all over the floor in the main room, the floors had not been vacuumed, there were no curtains in the window, nor had the beds been cleaned in a while based on their condition.

I walked to the reception desk, where the situation only got worse. Management did not believe me concerning the state of the original room, but finally gave me a different room. I did not get an apology and was essentially called a liar because the manager said he would need to see that for himself before believing me about the state of the room.

The second room we were given was not much better than the first. The floors had not been vacuumed in that room either, the bathroom door was broken like it had been kicked in, the table was broken, the remote for the AC was taped together, the shower had dirt caked on the side as though it had not been cleaned in months, the shower head was broken and did not work properly, and the entire room smelled of mold and mildew from being moist for too long without being properly cleaned. At that point, I took it upon myself to clean the room as I could tell I was getting nowhere with management.

Outside was not much better than the inside. There were old rolled up nasty carpets in the hallway. If there is remodeling, as a courtesy, there should be signs informing the customers to watch themselves, and apologizing for the mess. There was none of that. The maid was evidently too lazy to walk downstairs with the laundry and proceeded to throw it on the ground downstairs. Towels, washcloths and bedding can contain various bodily fluids as well as potential bugs from prior disgusting guests, and throwing those on the ground below is blatant laziness. What would they have done if someone's bedbug infested sheets landed on one of your customers walking out the door??

I had plans on renting from your chain of hotels in Branson when I go there for a visit, but I have NO intention of EVER visiting a Choice Hotel in the future. I went to Florida to watch one of my daughter's graduate and your hotel chain turned what should have been happiness and relaxation into hell on earth, to the point of I feel like I should have gotten the maid wages, with as much cleaning I had to do in order to even trust my granddaughter on the floor. Get it together, for the sake of your company, your name as well as for your CUSTOMERS. Nobody should be exposed to the level of customer service and filth that I was exposed to.

I can only hope that this letter lands on listening ears and you take into consideration what I have said in order to better your company and GAIN customers rather than lose them. The rooms need to be updated DRASTICALLY, as they don't look like the pictures online, and guests should feel WELCOME not like they are a maid service coming in to do someone else's job that YOU are paying someone to do. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Recently I booked a hotel at Quality Inn through Choice privilege. It was the worst experience I ever had on vacation. The room smelled so bad and there was yelling and fighting right outside the hotel all night. The bathroom was not clean and had been used prior to our arrival. The toilet had urine all over it. There were multiple broken things in our room. I will never book with Choice Privilege again and I will make sure all of my friends, family and co-workers never stay with any Choice Hotels.

I tried making a reservation for a Thursday evening. I changed the date of arrival three times. When the confirmation came back it was for the day I made the reservation (Monday) with the nice little footnote that the reservation could not be cancelled, changed or refunded. This is a very "tricky" website that needs an update. To me it appears to be set up to trick an unsuspecting customer into paying for something they did not intend to reserve.

Choice Hotels Reservation and Privileges Membership is a SCAM... after nearly 2 years of wasting my time with these crooks, I give up. Their website is nearly impossible to use and they lie about the rates after you try to book, they mysteriously go up... and up. All the hotels are owned by independent and in most cases rude, impolite and foreign management who really hates Americans... IMO. And if you complain, both to the managers, and Choice Hotels... THEY SIMPLY BLACKBALL YOU FROM EVER STAYING AT THAT HOTEL AGAIN... PERIOD. IT IS A SCAM!!!

My roommate and myself stayed at the Rodeway Turf hotel this past Sunday and Monday. I must say I have been going there for the past 25 yrs and this is the worst stay we have had in all the times we stayed there. First thing was there was only one towel and wash cloth in the room, after calling and waiting at least 2 hrs, I had to go to the front desk and get them myself. Then there was a loud humming noise and the bathroom floor was vibrating, again I called and no one came. As we were leaving that night after waiting several hours the front desk person said that the maintenance man was probably asleep and it was probably the Jacuzzi from the floor below us.

To top everything off as I lifted the covers off the floor the next morning there where goldfish crackers on the floor next to the bed. Never in all the years I have stayed at the Turf {now the Rodeway Turf} have I ever been dissatisfied as I have been this week. Oh and did you know that the slot machines in the bar area when printing out the pay off tickets better be even money, I cash a 10.99 cent ticket, the bartender said the safe don't carry change so he could only give me the ten and he kept the 99 cents. These 2 days were just unbelievable.

I made a reservation at a Comfort Inn using the Choice Hotels website. Due to a glitch that I will never know, the website reserved two rooms instead of one. Even though it was their mistake, Choice Hotels customer service would not refund me the charge for the second room. They would only give me useless points. I will never give the Choice Hotels website access to my credit card again. They are not interested in goodwill toward the customer. It was small money but a very large principle called "trust". Reading all the reviews, it's clear that the website is set up to "fail" in favor of Choice Hotels. It's a scam. At some point, I hope someone starts a class action against them. I will join.

This hotel is THE COMFORT INN BARRIE ONT, CANADA. I am a Platinum Member for 7 yrs with Choice Hotels Rewards program. HORRIBLE! No bath essentials provided. When requested, they still did not provide. Got a Double bed instead of a Queen size and billed for the Queen. TV did not work. When front desk was informed, they said nothing could be done. After dining and dancing, returned to hotel around 1:20 am to hear the "Night Manager" arguing with a guest on our floor and when we passed them, she turned her attention to us and started to lecture on being loud and the other guest asked why she was picking on them now? "Night Manager" as she calls herself started to act psycho, literally. She phoned the police and told them we were chasing her and threatening to harm her and we would not leave the hotel when she asked us to. NEVER HAVE I SEEN OR BEEN IN THIS SITUATION IN MY LIFE.

When police came she said everything was on video and I asked her to show them, she denied them. We were told at 3 am to leave. (Where were going to go at that time?) Got escorted to our room to pack and I picked up the phone and called front desk. When she answered, I said, "Really, I have to leave?" She responded with, "Does that mean you are apologizing to me?" I answered, "Yes." She then said, "Ok, you can stay." Spoke with the Officer who was with us only to find out that this so-called Night Manager is very well known to them in regards to many situations like ours. "NO LIES" this is the honest to god's truth. Will never deal with any CHOICE HOTELS again. Use BEST WESTERN. I've never had any problems or been dissatisfied.

I have been a Choice rewards member for years. My husband has a medical condition that we use a hotel near the hospital when he has appointments. The hotel has a special rate for medical patients. I went online to find out the phone number for the hotel. When I clicked on the number that I thought was the hotel, I was transferred to the Choice Hotels main line. Not only was it out of the country but the operator talked too fast that you could not understand her. I tried to tell her about the hospital special rate but she did not have a clue. She continue to tell me that the hotel was almost sold out and the only rooms left were the Suites which cause more than the regular rooms (the rooms were more expensive that you could get on their website).

I went ahead and made a reservation so that we would not miss getting a room. I ask about canceling and she assured me that I could cancel up until 3:00 on the date of arrival. All I had to do was call back. After finishing the call, I did some more advanced research and finally found the direct number for the hotel. I called and found out that the hotel did have the special rate and lots of rooms available. So I made a reservation with the hotel. I called the Choice Hotel main reservations back within 10 minutes of the original reservation call. I was transferred to another operator that spoke just as fast. She assured me that it was fine to cancel the original reservation. It was not until she gave me the amount that they were putting back on my credit card that I realize that the amount was not the amount I was quoted in the original reservation. I told her it was not correct. She finally informed me that they charged $14.99 to cancel a reservation.

I told her about the conversation that I had with the other person and how I had been misled about the reservation. After a long conversation, she finally went away from the phone for 5 minutes to talk to her team (I am sure this is a strategy that they are taught!!). She did return and assured me that they would not charge me the $14.99. (but that was not all!!) THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RETURN MY MONEY TO MY CREDIT CARD FOR 7 TO 10 DAYS ACCORDING TO THE PERSON!!!

I have been a Choice Privileges member for years. I have been accumulating points and decided to use them on an upcoming trip. I went online to the Choice website and chose my hotels and booking dates on Monday the 24th of April for dates in May. Two days later, I received an email asking me to rate my stay at one of the hotels. I immediately logged onto my account to see that the system changed my booking date to the input date and not the future date that I was going to stay in that town. I thought a quick call to member services would take care of the issue. I was wrong. I ended up on the phone for hours being passed from department to department with each telling me it was not their area. Example I started with customer service who transferred me to Choice Privileges Member Services who then transferred me to the Internet Customer Service who then transferred me to the place it started.

This cycle continued and each time I had to explain the error I was trying to fix. Each area would pull my account up and tell me "You were a no show". Seriously? That is because I found out two days later the system changed my stay date. After a long time someone asked me to "call back tomorrow" because they had to get management involved and they were not there. I called the next day and they finally put notes in the system but said they had to call the manager at the hotel? The manager was unavailable so customer services asked me to call back later. Why is it customer service won't take care of the problem?

I decided to google problems with Choice Hotels and the results let me know that I am not the first person with this problem. It seems to be an ongoing problem not only with customer service not being helpful but the website changing the booking dates. I mentioned this on yet another call to customer service and they said they would transfer me once again to the internet department and I explained once more what happened. I was told they would do an investigation which would take 7 to 10 business days. I told them all I wanted was to have my room for the date I booked. I was told I would have to pay again. No way! I waited to hear back on the "investigation" and they said they do not have any problems with the website and the dates were set. Needless to say, there is a problem and something should be done.

I booked 2 consecutive nights at a Quality Inn and a Comfort Inn during their April promotion. I booked one online and one over the phone. Somehow I ended up with two different accounts and I can only guess that the person on the phone set up a new account for me (spelled my last name incorrectly as well). So, when I went to book my free night's stay, as per the promotion, my points were in two different accounts.

The customer service person said she was unable to merge the accounts (computer problems) and that she would not be able to fix the problem for 3-5 business days. This was on a Thursday and I needed to book the "free" night's stay for Monday. She said there was no way to merge them before that date, even though it was obvious that I had the points available. Simply unacceptable. I ended up booking with Hampton Inn and will avoid all Choice Hotels as much as possible. Not worth the hassle as there are many more options available with much better customer service.

We booked two rooms, two different dates... When I hit the book button, I received two different confirmation numbers for the same date. When I called to state the error, they told me that I cannot change the date on one of the rooms for the original date I put in the system. They told me that it is their policy! I told them it's not a cancellation but a change of date, which was their systems fault. Still nothing, they told me I would be charged for the room. WHAT A SCAM!!! DO NOT BOOK WITH CHOICE HOTELS!!!

My husband and I live in the Phoenix area and were attending a seminar in the North Valley. I decided it would be better if we got a room and stayed there instead of driving the 40+ miles back and forth so I went looking for a room. I booked 2 nights at $99 a night in a very basic hotel. I got an email right after and didn't review it. A week later I get an email about my stay and it says I booked 2 people, 2 nights, 2 rooms. WHAT?

I called the hotel first and she basically said I was dumb and should have seen it was nonrefundable. Then I called Choice Hotels direct. I had to go through everything 4x and then they called the hotel, and the girl there said they would talk to the manager to see what they could do and someone would call me.

I went back on the history of my computer to see what I did... I booked 1 room, 2 people, 2 nights.

This is totally a scam. Don't use them unless you want to pay for double what you order. I am very computer-savvy and I am pissed that they do this to people. I can see what I did and I did not book 2 rooms. They are intentionally ripping people off and then saying it is our fault that we didn't read where it says nonrefundable. I was okay with nonrefundable on what I ordered. Now I have 2 rooms? WTH? Do not use them. Ever. Don't risk it.

I have been a diamond member for 10 years. As of April 15th I have switched to the Marriott program and here is why: 1. You can never get thru on customer service line within 15 minutes; 2. Very bad broken English speaking phone contacts ALWAYS; 3. Rooms are very bad and hotels have been going down hill; 4. Your status does not mean a thing with hotel, treated like I'm of the street; 5. Each motel is independently owned and operated so nothing is the same with each place; 6. Website is the worst ever; 7. Breakfast is one of the worst. The best advise I can give anyone is stay away from any Choice Hotel.

Choice Hotels negligence and or possibly fraudulent activity on my credit card. On Sunday April 9, 2017 I booked a room on the phone with Choice Hotels. The agent took my Visa credit card number and reserved a room at Comfort Suites Hotel. I received an email confirmation with all my information but under a different party's name. I called Choice Hotels immediately and informed them the wrong name (Douglas **) and the wrong membership number (**) was used for my reservation but charged to my VISA card. The agent assured me that Douglas ** did not have full access to my VISA card. He canceled the reservation. But, on Monday April 10th I received an email "Thanks for Joining Douglas! Enjoy the benefits. Hi Douglas #**. Create Online Profile."

On Tuesday, April 11th I received two emails Fraud Alerts from Chase Bank, Due to Choice Hotel's negligence and or possibly fraudulent activity, my credit card appears to have been used by their Agent and or given to another party. Chase Bank declined my card when I tried to register at Comfort Suites Hotel. This Hotel would only accept cash or a Debit Card which left me and my wife nearly stranded with no way to secure a room for the night and little cash to buy gas and food to return home. Upon returning home, I remain inconvenienced as I am still waiting for a replacement Credit Card.

On Thursday April 13th, after sending three separate emails to Choice Hotels (grdesk@choicehotels.com) and receiving no response, I called Choice service line (602-954-4500) Reference #**. The agent, Angel, told me this is the Corp. Office of Choice Privileges but no Manager or Supervisor was available to talk with me. Angel committed to have a manager contact me at ** within the next 24 hours. To date, April 17 (four days later, 96 hours) I have not received a returned call or email from Choice Hotels.

Choice Hotels is nothing but a scam! We booked a room, the website changed the date. We ended up buying another room, because they would not change the date. If you want to throw your money away, go ahead and book with choice hotels!

I was told that if I stayed two nights before April 27th I would get a third free. Then when I called to access my third night they said it would take 72 hours to post the points. They did this so we were less likely to use the third night. Very inappropriate as I specifically asked if I was able to do this on the same vacation week with a definite yes as a response. I also had to change a second night reservation and was told I couldn't change it. And would be charged a noncancelation fee for the room. When I called "customer service" I was told they are all independently owned. UGH!!! Both of my experiences in Rodeway Inn and Quality Inn were awful. Being a member of this CHOICE meant nothing to them.

Do not book through this service. They booked me for the wrong weekend and I called within 15 minutes and they would not cancel or change the reservation to correct it. Customer service was non existent. Do not use!!

I have been staying at Clarion Hotel in Pueblo CO since the 23rd of March and paying weekly. Now all of the sudden the front desk tells me they will no longer rent weekly. This would be understandable if I had not already been double charged for last week (I'm disputing the charge with the bank) causing me great inconvenience, as well as a broken ac/heater, and housekeeping that only makes half the bed and leaves no towels or bags in the waste cans. There has been a new ac unit still in the box in the middle of the floor where it has been for two weeks. And to top it all off I had to get my own can of raid for the roach problem they have. I even complained to corporate customer service only to be told there is nothing they will do. Summary... This has been the worst hotel experience I have ever had from a national chain and will never stay with clarion or choice hotels ever again!

I had a Terrible experience at a Choice Hotel, and made 8 attempts over 2 weeks to get a resolution with Choice Hotel "customer service". Each time put on hold for average of 30 minutes. And each time I finally got to talk to a CS person I had to start over explaining the problem and was told to check back in 72 hours for resolution. I even tried emailing numerous times and NO reply. As a long time Choice Privileges Diamond Member I would have expected better Service. I will no longer stay with such a shabby company. And direct all my coworkers to do the same, As there are many other companies out there that truly appreciate our business.

Choice Hotels advertises on TV and on my phone calls with them that you receive a free night after two booked at regular priced stays. I have stayed 3 night during 2 separate stays, and this time am told I don't have enough points for any hotel stay. Points are never mentioned in their advertising. Their supervisor told me I couldn't get my free night because my stays were last year, and yet I just read under one of their websites that the stays (= points) are considered good and part of the promotion until Dec. 31, 2 years AFTER the year you earn the points. Today I had their employees telling me all sorts of creative lies as to why I could not collect on my free hotel night. I consider this fraud, and I wouldn't recommend Choice Hotels to anyone. There are plenty of other hotel chains that will not do such underhanded things.

This is the worst experience I have ever had when traveling. There was an error (double booked due to computer error). They will not refund my money and no cancellation! Apparently I'm not the only one. They put you on hold and never come back. Best thing to do is contact your bank and have them stop payment or refund the money to your acct. My bank did this. Don't use them.

Choice Hotels Company Profile