2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Choice Hotels Reviews

Original review: April 18, 2020

I booked my reservation through Booking.com. I had to cancel because of COVID-19. Booking.com did nothing to resolve the matter. Choice Hotels reached out to me and took care of everything. They issued a full refund. Great customer service.

Choice Hotels response

Archie, we are glad to know that one of our franchising partners could assist you in this matter. Travel flexibility is something we know each valued guest appreciates. Our teams want to pass on your kind words if you let us. Please send a message with the confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, full name on the reservation, and email. Thank you for your consideration in advance. *Julio

Original review: July 23, 2019

Had some difficulty getting to a customer service rep but once I did the service was outstanding. They were very compassionate and it was greatly appreciated. I would recommend that you separate the customer service number from reservations to avoid confusion. I was given a different number but it looped back to reservations.

Choice Hotels response

Hey Terry! It's great to hear from you. We're disappointed to hear about the difficulties you've had reaching an agent. However, it is wonderful to hear that you were able to be provided with the outstanding service all of our valued guests deserve. We appreciate your feedback and will pass it along to appropriate parties. Thank you for the 5 stars! Have a wonderful afternoon. ~Mikael

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

The front desk friendly. Housekeeping willing to help us. Food was good and no problem with the breakfast. We’re disable. Helped us with our luggage. The public bathroom very clean. The hotel rooms were spotless. Would stay there again.

Choice Hotels response

Wow, Paul! This is amazing to hear, and we are incredibly thankful you decided to share this with us. I know you have plenty of booking options, so we thank you kindly for considering us. My team and I would like to pass along the kudos to the hotel staff. I am sure they'll appreciate it. Send us a message with the confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, and the name on the reservation when time allows. This helps us get your feedback to the right people. Chat soon! *Julio

Original review: April 30, 2020

Had to shelve LA trip on Mar 24, due to pandemic. Called Euro service office on Mar 23, spoke with a very helpful Portuguese woman who looked up my booking and assured me that refund would happen in “14 to 21 days”. It’s now 38 days later, but still no refund. Disappointed and concerned for my money.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have used the website many, many times over the years. I decided to use their current policy CLEARLY advertised to book at prepay rate but cancel for free. It was started during pandemic. I realized not long after booking that I was not comfortable having a large amount of money on the slim chance I’d be able to travel this summer. I cancelled the two lengthy stays on March 30. I immediately received the cancellation email.

By April 8, the money was still not back on my credit card. I called and was told sure they’d return the money. The stays had been cancelled, but the only way to get money back is to then call customer service. That is stated absolutely nowhere. The customer service representative acknowledged that was true. That is extremely deceptive and I question how legal it is. To cancel something refundable, send a cancellation email but not refund money without a phone call?! I guess they’ll make money by some people not noticing the money is never put back on their credit card. The stress I’ve encountered over wondering if I’m getting the money back is not worth it. I’ll never use the company/website again.

Choice Hotels response

We can understand your disappointment and appreciate your patience while we work to improve the service we provide. Due to the pandemic, we've adopted a flexible cancelation policy for prepaid reservations, allowing them to be canceled and refunded. We'd like to have the opportunity to review this further. To get started, please send us a private message including your confirmation numbers, dates of arrival, name on the reservation, and hotels' addresses. We hope to hear more from you. -Diana

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Resolution response: April 6, 2020

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Original review: April 1, 2020

They overbook for a room and overcharge your debit card stay away from their quality inn in Sidney Nebraska or you'll be sorry. Customer service doesn't care either. We had to get the fraud department involved from our bank to straighten the situation out. Poor service and unprofessional employees of both quality inn and Choice Hotels. Had to change debit card because they were continue to charge our card.

Choice Hotels response

Lottie, please know we take these concerns seriously when it comes to ensuring billing has been accurately handled. If you still require assistance on this matter, our teams are standing by to assist how we may. Include your confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, and full name on the reservation. Thank you for expressing your feedback here. We will be looking to follow up accordingly. *Julio

Original review: March 28, 2020

This is the second time that I have purchased points and my card is overcharged and no points available for me to book my room. I purchased points today using my boyfriend’s debit card as I have done before in order to use for a reservation, I received my confirmation email for the purchase but no points! I spoke with customer service only to find out they double charged his card and will not be issuing my points because my name was not on the card! If this is the reason I don’t have the points, then why take the money from the card? I was told that all the money would be back on the card within 7 to 10 business days and they couldn’t do anything to help me! So now I have no points, no reservation and have to wait for my money! I have been a very loyal customer and have spent thousands with your hotels, this is unacceptable and downright wrong. This needs to be fixed because it seems to be a reoccurring problem!

Choice Hotels response
    Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us, Patricia. We apologize for the trouble that you had in booking a Points Plus Cash reservation. In order for the purchase to go through, the billing information must match the information on the Choice Privileges account. You or your boyfriend can purchase points here: https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-privileges/buy-points

The funds are a pre-authorization and will be released by your bank. Send us a private message if you have more questions.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I booked at Comfort Inn & Suites, Hawthorn NY for September 25 for 2 nights. My event was unfortunately canceled due to Covid19. It became impossible for organizers to coordinate. I responded to email from Choice Hotels concerning their Coronavirus policy, was informed the reservation is inflexible in their noncancellation policy. Really shameful in this unprecedented epidemic.

Choice Hotels response

Hi there! Thank you for reaching out. With our current exceptions for cancellations, my team would like to take another look at your reservation. When you have a moment, please private message us with your stay details including the name, date of arrival, confirmation number, and phone number associated with your reservation. We will be on the lookout for your message. Talk more soon!

Original review: March 18, 2020

I am quite literally shocked after staying at the Choice Hotels Sleep Inn at Arlington near Six Flags location. This hotel was the absolute worst place I have stayed in my life. I have never written a bad review on a company, not ever, but this hotel deserves one. My husband and I stayed in the hotel in March 2020. My room DID NOT HAVE A SMOKE DETECTOR! The day we were leaving from our stay, I noticed that the smoke detector cover was disgustingly dirty. Upon looking up at it, I saw that the small hole of the cover showed nothing inside. I pulled down the cover to find NO SMOKE DETECTOR AT ALL, just a plug-in wire where someone obviously removed the detector, and put the cover back up.

Someone obviously knew about this. The cover was dirty enough, I am certain it was like that for a considerable time. I sincerely doubt that they check their detectors ever. They are obviously not in compliance with the LAW that requires smoke detectors in every single room. If it happened in my room, I guarantee it exists in many others.

Overall, the hotel was old, in poor shape, and my bathroom fan also did not work. All of that I do not love, but can understand at least. But not having smoke detectors?? I am just glad my husband and I made it out of there alive. We have a 2 year old daughter who was not with us. Imagine if we left her without parents due to the utter and total lack of care by Choice Hotels and this Sleep Inn hotel. They have a total disregard for customer safety that is disgusting to me. Upon reaching out to the corporate owner Choice Hotels, I received a complete generic cop out of a response from them that does not make me believe they are concerned or will be making sure that customer safety is being addressed. If you are thinking about staying at this hotel, I would not do it!!

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us, Lori. We can understand your disappointment in the room's condition as this is not the standard we strive to deliver. We would like to make sure that this is addressed appropriately as safety of our guests is our top priority. Please send us a private message with your confirmation number, mailing address, email, and phone number, and we'll get started. We hope to hear more from you soon! - KP

Original review: March 16, 2020

I have been a member of Choice Hotels Rewards program for over 15 years. I just went to Choice Hotels website to make a reservation two days ago. I wanted to use my points with cash option. Every time I made the selection, I received an error message without anything going through. After two days, I finally called the 1-800 number and was advised that the option I was selecting was probably not available at that hotel, and I needed to either pay cash or use full points for the stay. I used full points and made the reservation on the phone. A day later I received a call from the fraud section of my credit card company advising me that Choice Hotels had charged my credit card 35 times to the total of $2,800. I called Choice Hotels, & was given the run around, and was transferred to the hotel.

The hotel, said they couldn't help me and transferred me back to Choice Hotels. Choice Hotels, then gave me a number to customer relations, which simply said, "it will drop off in 7-10 days because you didn't get a reservation" really - my account is held up with $2,800 in charges until it falls off! Now I have to check with my bank daily to make sure this has happened or call again to complain. This is NOT customer service. This is an electronic system that doesn't work properly and NO ONE will take responsibility. Beware if you use Choice Hotels website... remember they have your credit card number and the ability to charge your account.

Choice Hotels response

Hi Sandy! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It is disappointing to learn about this poor encounter. We know billing issues are a pressing matter. If this has not been resolved, we'd like to step in and assist. Whenever you have a moment, please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. ~Mikael

Choice Hotels Company Information