1.32/5

528 Choice Hotels Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 14, 2019

Choice Hotels are great. Their customer service department is HORRIBLE. I was having difficulty getting their website to recognize my rewards account number. This has been an ongoing issue for about 1 1/2 years. Each time I call I am placed on hold, they're unable to find my account in their system, or I'm disconnected. When I call today, it took four tries to actually speak with someone who acknowledged my account and gave any remote indication they might help. The first two individuals that I spoke with could not find my account. The third person found my account and argued with me stating that it was something that I was doing incorrectly as I attempted to log in. When I asked for a supervisor she yelled at me, said yes and hung up on me. The fourth time I called back and asked for a supervisor I held for 35 minutes, a supervisor came on the line, there were absolutely no apologies given.

In an effort to solve the problem she created a new profile, sent me a confirmation email and transferred no points over to my account, even though I was told they would all be transferred. Even worse when I asked her to assist me with purchasing a gift card which is what I was logging in in order to do, she basically told me that I could either call back and talk to customer service or once I was able to access my account I could go online and purchase one. Translation, she was unwilling to help me. She basically accepted no responsibility and did the minimal to get me off the phone. What's the point of staying at nice properties if the customer service is going to be so ridiculously horrible when events happen, and things do go wrong because we're all human. It's not worth their crappy service. I will stay elsewhere.

Choice Hotels response

Oh my, Anastasia! I recognize that as a valued Choice Privileges member, you anticipate reliable service from our Member Services Team. It saddens us to hear we let you down in more ways than one. This feedback is instrumental to our success. If you have not yet still found a solution to the issue with your membership account, please send us a message to get started. Thank you for your loyalty and patronage. We hope you will consider us again in the future. *Julio

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2019

Checked in 6-10-2019. Reservation said 96.73. When I checked in they charged 108.34. I explained to them what the reservation said. I asked them if they wanted me to bring computer in, to show the reservation and dollar amount. They said no to that. Manager rushed me into okaying the debit card charge, but there would be a 96.73 charge on card. Got to room, looked at bank balance online. It was the 108.34. Went to front desk again. Manager told me that was just a hold on account, that actual charge of 96.73 would be taken out of account. Got home and Weds the 12th there was 108.34 taken out of account. Called motel.

Again manager tried to lie his way out of this situation, saying reservation said queen bed and when I checked in I asked for a king bed. I told him I did not request an upgrade, that I requested a floor level room ONLINE. Not in person. He, with an attitude, said there would be a credit to my account in 4 to 5 days? Why do I have to wait 4 to 5 days, after being lied to and cheated out of my money. I'm a long standing customer of Choice motels, but this gives me second thoughts. If this manager does not rectify the $11.61 in a timely manner, I will have second thoughts on where to stay. If choice allows this kind of behavior from their franchisees then shame on them. At least other chains have been willing and able to rectify problems as soon as they arise, not try to lie and cheat their way out of a problem.

Choice Hotels response

Greg, billing issues can be a real pain. We regret that you experienced some inconsistency during check in. Don't worry, we are here to help. At Choice Hotels, we aim for a flawless check in process and superior experience during your stay. Send us a private message with a screenshot of your original email confirmation page, along with your contact information. We'll research and reach back out to you. We promise. Enjoy your day, Cathy

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 11, 2019

I checked into Qualify Inn and Suites - 320 Dual Hwy - Hagerstown Md around 2 am after traveling all day from California on business. The room smelled mildew and smoke, I asked to move but the night manager had only 1 other room and couldn’t make a key for. I was tired, I went to bed. When I checked out, I received my bill. As I arrived in California, I was doing my expense report 2 days later when I noticed $150 extra charges for smoking in the room (I don’t smoke) and have been traveling for over 20 years and never had this problem.

I contacted the hotel, the Indian owner and manager said they don’t refund money. I called Choice Hotels and complained (I couldn’t understand anything the customer service was saying) but after 3 hours of them contacting the hotel, I was told by customer service there’s nothing they can do. I searched for 40 minutes until I finally found some email in the USA for Choice, I wrote to them, I got avresoback that the case was transferred to another department and they will contact me within 3 days. It’s been 2 weeks and one has and been sending them emails and calls and no one is solving my case. Now at any Choice hotel if I have to stay (I call the hotel before I make reservations, if the one who answers is Indian, I don’t make reservations, if not Indian, I ask who owns the hotel). That’s sad that Choice Hotels became all Indians owned and their customer service is all in Thailand or Malaysia and no one has any authority to fix a problem.

Choice Hotels response

We're disappointed to learn of the experience you had during your visit. Choice Hotels aims to provide all our guests with exceptional service. We would like the opportunity to share your concerns with the hotel for review. To provide the proper follow-up, can you please send us a private message with your stay information? Please include the name on the reservation, confirmation number, date of arrival, and hotel address. Hope to hear from you soon! -Taylor

Original review: June 10, 2019

So I have been associated with Choice Hotels since 2017. Currently, I am a diamond member. Today I contacted customer service because I have been redeeming points for gift cards since a month now and I have not received a single gift card. On contacting representative, I was informed that out of 5 gift card options available on my account, they have refused my request for 10 best buy gift card because of the lack of inventory. Is this a joke. If you don't have inventory, is it your client's problem or that your problem. Either don't offer the deals online or if you offer to fulfill them. I will be posting reviews on as many sites as possible to make sure everyone is aware of this crap.

Choice Hotels response

Hey Himanshu! Thank you for taking the time to reach out. It is disappointing to hear about the difficulties you've experienced with the gift cards. If I were in your position, I'd feel the same way. Rest assured, my team will ensure your experience is documented and passed along to the appropriate parties for review. We value your membership and hope you'll forgive us for this hiccup. Have a wonderful afternoon. ~Mikael

Original review: June 10, 2019

So many complaints about losing precious Choice points it is not funny. We have been saving Choice points (32,391) for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Japan back in Feb. Reservations were made, however, due to health issues we had to cancel the trip. My family has been Loyalty Choice Hotels Members since 2016. Today, I was trying to book a hotel up in NYC for a family reunion, I was in shock finding out that all 32K points were gone; I emailed and inquired why, the customer service replied immediately & told me that my points were forfeited last 03/01/19 due to inactivity. I have received NO warning, advise, or just plain notification from CHOICE about the expiration. I DID NOT FORFEIT my points, they were taken away from me without notice. My calculation of the expiration is Aug 2019. you guys should not just arbitrarily steal hard-earn points from your loyal customers. So not happy with CHOICE Hotels points management team.

Choice Hotels response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us, Eo. That many Choice Privileges points do take some time to accumulate, so we can totally understand your frustration at them being forfeited as a long time member. We'd be happy to look into this more for you. Please send us a private message with your Choice Privileges account information, as well as verification of your mailing address, email, and phone number associated with your account. We hope to hear from you soon. - Kayla

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: June 7, 2019

I canceled a reservation with one of the hotels online a week before the stay due to very unfavorable reviews about the location. While doing so the website crashed on me multiple times but the cancellation confirmation page appeared before crashing again. With that I figured that my room was taken care of. Apparently, the day of the projected stay I noticed I was charged for the hotel stay. I contacted customer service and was told there is no cancellation and that I cannot get my money back and my reservation cannot be canceled at this time. As a frequent traveler I am extremely disappointed with the lack of consideration from the hotel location and the customer service professionals. I was made to feel that I was lying. While I had been using the Choice family since well before 2000, I will stick to the Marriott, InterContinental and Hilton Brands in the future.

Choice Hotels response

Hi there, Shakema! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about the trouble you had recently. We can understand why this is important to you and would like to look into this more. Please feel free to send us a private message with your confirmation number, as well as your mailing address, email, and phone number, and we'll get started. We hope to hear from you again soon! - Kayla P.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I decided to visit South Carolina and spend my birthday in the beautiful town my best friend decided to buy a home at. Upon the home getting prepared and renovations being wrapped up I stayed at what I THOUGHT would be a better choice from the Motel down the street. So the first night at 12685 HWY 56 N. in Clinton South Carolina was fine. I was sure I would be home away from home at Comfort Suites. I would find out the next day I was VERY WRONG. I asked front desk to make sure housekeeping cleaned my room, took out my trash and vacuumed. See my birthday is June 8th and my friend surprised me with balloons and a lot of gifts so the trash was filled with wrapping paper. I left that morning after breakfast June 6th and went to see this beautiful city. I came back to my room around 1:40 pm.

When I open the door to my room I immediately noticed that my bed was half made. The floor was not vacuumed, so I looked around the room and found that my trashcan was not emptied in the bathroom, my cups were not restocked, the coffee pot had not been cleaned. Although it had been taken apart it was not clean. My bag in my closet was turned around so I went down to the end of the hall where my housekeeper was and asked her if she could vacuum my floor, only for her to tell me very rudely that there was no room for her to vacuum. So I walked her back to my room to show her that there was room for her to vacuum and that my trash had not been emptied. She vacuumed in a straight line and left my alarm, never came back to fill my trashcan or finish cleaning the rest of my room and restocking my items.

I went to the front desk and let them know that my housekeeper was very rude and I need it soak in some more towels. The front desk person whose name is Kurt said he would have a talk with the housekeeper because he had gotten several complaints before. I seen a housekeeper on the first floor cleaning and I asked her if she had any soap on her cart. She said yes, asked me what she could do. I let her know I was on the fourth floor and the situation. She followed me upstairs to my room, looked around, apologized and said she would clean my room and re-stock everything. Her name was Belinda. As she was cleaning my room she asked the original housekeeper if she had a trash bag for my trash can. The housekeeper started yelling and talking loudly! As she came to my door the housekeeper began to wave her arms by my face.

The young lady Belinda that came up from the first floor said, "We do not talk to our guests this way" and asked the other housekeeper to please not touch the guest (who is me). I as well said. "Do not touch me or yell at me! Please move away from my door." I went down stairs to let the front desk know what happened and to look at the cameras. Kurt who was at the front desk said I should tell the General Manager what happened, so I did. As I was coming up the elevator with the General Manager whose name is Al **, I was told by Al ** that I should not be worried about it since I was checking out the next day. I could not believe what I heard. The housekeeper was still in my room while I was explaining NOW to the General Manager what happened. Al asked the young lady Belinda if she had to clean the room.

She informed him that she had to empty the trash, put a trash bag in the trashcan, get the towels, restock my coffee and vacuum, as well as wipe down the bathroom sink. Also told the manager how the original housekeeper was rude and came slamming my cups down on my counter and thought she was going to hit me, as I asked her to leave my room. I was not satisfied with the answer I received from the general manager so I went downstairs once again to ask for a number for customer service. That is where I met the general manager standing next to the front desk personnel, and Al ** wouldn’t give me his name or a number. Also told the front desk NOT to extend my stay if I wanted to stay until the 11th. Even if I paid.

Kurt was in fear I’ve seen anything in front of the general manager for what I did was to speak so he wrote down the number for me to call for customer service, slid it to me and told me to call the number and let them know what happened. I did just that. I was given a case number and was told to call back after I check out. Now I am looking for a different hotel to stay in.

I took this time to write this after praying, because NO ONE should have to deal with this type of customer service at all. Some people abuse their position and the power they have to instead of making a person feel welcome, belittle them. When I asked Al why I was not allowed to stay he said because I came back down to get a customer service number. No matter what take the time to write not just the bad but the good. Although I had a very bad and terrible experience I did have a good experience with the housekeeper and the front desk guy Kurt who gave me the information to call and courage to write this.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you, Kelly, for taking the time to share your experience with us. While it is wonderful that Kurt and Belinda were so helpful during your stay, it's upsetting that the service provided by the other housekeeper and management fell short. This is something we would like to review more closely. When you have a chance, please send us a private message with your reservation details, as well as your mailing address, email, and phone number. We hope to hear more from you soon. - Kayla P.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 3, 2019

I contacted Choice Hotels reservation service for a room for June 9-June 16, 2019. This reservation was made on April 25, 2019. I chose to pay for the entire trip in advance to get the lower rate which is non-refundable. On June 3, 2019. I received a call from the hotel at Morehead City, NC telling me that my reservation was cancelled since the hotel had been damaged by a hurricane in October, 2018. She said my money would be refunded.

My question is: what kind of a company will accept a reservation, confirm it, and accept money from my credit card if the business is not open??? I contacted consumer unrelations at Choice. They gave me another reservation to a EconoLodge just up the street from the Quality Hotel but with a $138 higher price, When I told her that I felt that Choice should pay the difference, she said that Choice did not pay for storm damage. Well. the Choice reservation system was not damaged by the storm. The motel did not accept the reservation, CHOICE reservations accepted the reservation, provided a confirmation and pulled the money off my credit card. I will never do business with Choice Hotels and have requested that all reservations be cancelled and that my Choice membership be cancelled.

Choice Hotels response

We're disappointed to learn of the experience you had with your reservation. Choice Hotels aims to provide all our guests with exceptional service. We would like to take a deeper look into this matter. When you have a moment, can you please send us a private message with your stay information? Please include the name on the reservation, confirmation number, date of arrival, and hotel address. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We will be on the lookout for your message. -Taylor

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2019

Upon arrival, the lady at the front desk was already not welcoming. I always make a habit of checking out the beds and bedding to make sure that there are no bed bugs. As soon as I went to lift the comforter up, I noticed that the comforter was dirty. The edges were black as if it has not been washed. I can tell the difference with set in stain and dirt. I pulled the comforter back and there was still hair from the previous guests. I got the room with two queens, and both beds were dirty. It doesn't stop there. The bedding both had blood stains on them! You'd think that if they did change the sheets, they'd see the blood and replace it. I went downstairs and told the front desk clerk of my findings. She told me that she will give me another room. I accepted.

I did the same check with the second room and still the same. Except this room had a blood cluster on the bed. I have pictures to prove all of this and videos were also taken. I went downstairs again and told the clerk and she said she can give me new sheets. We had already driven 3 hours to get there and my kids were tired. A refund would not be granted because we were past the cancellation time. Also, it was included with the group rate because my son's basketball team was also staying there. I had to take the new sheets and make the beds myself.

I called customer service to complain and they told me that they will send an email to the management. No one contacted the 4 days, 3 nights I was there. When I checked out, it was with the owner. I told him of my experience and he just brushed me off and said, "oh, well you already contacted corporate. They will handle it". I will never stay nor recommend Comfort Inn to anyone. Check your bedding if you decide to stay here.

Choice Hotels response

Janelle,poor room conditions are very frustrating to hear about. Especially when you are traveling with your family. We truly regret that the room change did not improve your stay. We are happy to get this addressed with our franchisee right away. Please send us a private message with your stay details, including the exact name and location of the hotel, full name on the reservation and the date of arrival. Rest assured, we will have this looked into. Thank you for choosing Choice Hotels, Cathy

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 27, 2019

We planned a special vacation to Arizona and made a reservation at the Econo-lodge in Williams, AZ based on the on-line photos of the motel. Upon arrival, we found the motel to be nothing like the photos and it was a true dump. We walked into the lobby and were struck by the stench of old cooking smells and a disarray of the surroundings. We told the woman at the desk we did not wish to stay there and she cancelled our second night lodging but refused to cancel the first night. She said we could pay for the first night by card or cash. CASH!!?? I suppose we could have rented the room by the hour too. We took a look at what was to be our room and found it to be dingy, reeking of old cooking, cracked sink, filthy and the type of room where you wouldn't touch anything for fear of bugs. We immediately made a reservation at another hotel and left. The woman still refused to return our money.

Upon our return home I made three calls to Choice Hotels customer service which is located in the Philippines. First, it's extremely difficult to discern what the representative is saying and, second, they do not follow through on their promises of a return call. The first call was taken by someone calling herself "Ingrid". She said she called the motel and the manager was not in but he would return in the afternoon and she would call me back after the weekend. No return call ever received. The second call was taken by "Joe" and, again, he said the manager was not in but he would call me back in two hours. No call was ever received. It should be noted the motel appears to be a mom and pop operation and if they did call the motel they probably spoke to the owner's wife.

On the third call I requested to be connected to a representative in the USA. The young lady basically refused to connect me and when I said I wanted to speak to a supervisor I was on hold for more than 10 minutes and never was able to speak to a supervisor. The representative told me she tried to call the motel but couldn't get a connection. I then tracked down a number for Choice Hotels in the USA, 301-592-5000. A "Dolly" answered the phone and I told her of the problem I was having. She refused to connect me with anyone unless I had their extension. She told me to once again call customer service as that was all I could do. The entire affair just reeks that Choices Hotels is a scam operation and does not care for anyone but the bottom line. Trust me, I will never even consider staying at one of their hotels and will do all I can to spread the word about the experience we had.

Choice Hotels response

We're disappointed to learn of the experience you had during your visit, Randall. Choice Hotels aims to provide all our guests with an exceptional stay, and we're sorry to hear that the hotel failed to meet those standards of quality conditions and service. We would like to look deeper into this matter. Please send us a private message with the name on the reservation, confirmation number, date of arrival, and hotel address. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Talk more soon! -Taylor

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 25, 2019

I made reservation to stay at a Choice Hotel in San Ysidro California on 5/24/19 for a Memorial Day event. On our way to the hotel, we got into an accident and was taken to the Emergency Room hospital. I was admitted overnight. I called Choice to inform them of my situation and to see if I can get refunded or at least receive credit towards another stay since I could not make my hotel stay due to my accident and hospital admission. I was told that there was nothing they can do because the general manager at the local hotel, Rodeway Inn in San Ysidro would not authorize a refund past cancellation deadline regardless of my circumstance.

I have stayed at Choice Hotels for 12 years because I travel a lot on business and never had an issue until now. If they couldn’t make an exception for a loyal 12 year customer due to an emergency hospital stay, what is the point of being a loyal customer? I could have been offered extra reward points, a complimentary stay but I received nothing except a “no, the manager refused”. Thanks Choice Hotels. I can no longer be a loyal customer with this kind of response.

Choice Hotels response

Hi Kender, we appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope you are doing alright after your accident. My team would like the opportunity to take a second look into this matter. When you have a moment, please send a private message with your stay information. Please include the name on the reservation, confirmation number, date of arrival, and hotel address. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Hope to hear from you soon! -Taylor

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

Stayed at the Quality Inn on Brice Road in Reynolds Ohio this past Saturday night. It was the absolute dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. In addition to being dirty half of the amenities were missing from the rooms and half of the things in the rooms didn’t work properly. We also did not feel safe in our rooms because of some of the activities happening outside our rooms. Owner offered a insulting refund amount and the Choice Hotels Corporate Complaints Department refused to do anything. Will never stay at ANY Choice Hotels again and recommend to all our friends and family to do the same.

Choice Hotels response

Hi Cara, we strive to provide our loyal guests with great accommodations and service. From the sound of things, it seems like something went wrong, and I'm sorry to hear that. My team would like the opportunity to address any specific experiences you had. We want to help! Please send us a private message with all the details of what occurred and include the hotel address, confirmation number, date of arrival, and name on the reservation. Hope to hear from you soon. -Taylor

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2019

We are Loyalty Members of Choice Hotels since 2012. ** Loyalty Choice Hotels member. I was trying to book a hotel down in San Antonio, TX and Spring, TX for our family trip few days stay at the hotel to add more points. I found out today that our 19,510 points gone; now it's 0. I called customer service and asked why. The agent told me, "Oh because your points expired," in a rude way. He told me that he can't do anything about it. Hang up the phone. It has something to do with the policy that changed he says.

I then called customer relations and he said, "Well we send out random emails about your points that it's about to expire." I did not receive no email reminder. I don't even know it expires. We have been using Choice Hotels since 2012 and always choosing you guys even if we have been receiving free nights for different hotels to try them out: to win our business. Called Complaints Department and talked to Claudia. She told me to, "Try stay with us," and after a complete stay give them a call. They'll see if they can reimbursed the points or set it off or free stay. I don't know if I want to do that no more because of this. This is more frustrating than ever. It's sad that from the points that we saved for the past 7 years went all to drain. Maybe I need to take my business to somewhere else. Noemi **

Choice Hotels response

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, Noemi. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. It is upsetting to hear that you were not provided better assistance over the phone. We'd certainly like to look into this more for you. I have sent a private message requesting additional details from you. Please reply there when you have a chance, and we will get started. We look forward to hearing from you soon! - Kayla P.

Original review: May 12, 2019

This is absolutely the worst experience I have ever had making a reservation in my 40 years and all of my travel. I made a reservation this afternoon. I was told that since it was for someone else that I would have to reply to an e-mail that I would be sent that is an authorization form for the credit card. I went ahead and made the reservation for 2 nights. The man then told me that all I would need to do is reply to the authorization form in my e-mail. He said it would take 10-15 minutes to receive this form in my e-mail. I waited for 4 hours. It is now 8:00pm. I call the hotel desk and they proceed to tell me that the only way I can do this is to fax them the form. I tell her I do not have a fax and so she gives me her personal email so I can send it. I then again state that I haven't received any form to send. She says it is on the website and I will need to call Choice Hotels.

I call Choice Hotels and Lee tells me that everything the first guy told me is wrong and doesn't understand why anyone would tell me that. Then tells me that they can't even send the authorization forms and it has to be from the hotel destination. She then calls that hotel and comes back on the line saying that I need to go to the authorization form on the website, download it and e-mail it to the front desk lady. So I ask Lee, where is the authorization form on the website and her response..."I don't know, I'll have to transfer you to the tech department."

What kind of a joke of an operation is this? I'm lied to and nobody knows how to find the authorization form? Should you train all of your employees on this information? Shouldn't I have been given the correct information to begin with? Never, have I had an experience like this and I travel and my company travels. I have wasted the entire afternoon on a hotel reservation. Time I don't get back and am now going to have to take my niece to dinner and pay for that to instead of eating the bar-b-que I was supposed to be making instead of stuck on the phone for 4 hours.

Choice Hotels response

Hi Christie! We appreciate you providing your feedback regarding the check-in policy with an authorization form. It's disappointing to learn this process didn't go smoothly. We would like to investigate this further and alert the hotel owners for review. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your stay information. Please include the name on the reservations, date of arrival, confirmation numbers, and hotel address. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. -Taylor

Original review: May 9, 2019

Today I made an attempt to contact a Choice Hotel to make a reservation at a location in Alexandria Va. After 32 min 45 seconds on the phone we were disconnected while I was on HOLD! I have given all of my info including my call back number, and was waiting I thought for a confirmation number and a total cost for the reservation. Called back 3 times and got no answer. It just rang. I waited a few minutes and called the hotel direct and was transferred back to the reservation desk. That call lasted 50 minutes and 51 seconds per my call log on my phone. I had to give all the info a 2nd time as if I had never called before. Then they only had the room available for the first 4 night and I had to make a second reservation for the 2nd 4 nights.

Reason I wanted this location is that they offered a shuttle to the Metro public transportation line, and an outdoor pool. Lesson learned, be sure that IF you want to reserve a room with Choice hotels, better leave yourself over an hour to make the reservation. Now they need me to call back tomorrow to speak with a supervisor. I called corp line of 800-300-8800 to discuss my experience and asked to speak with a supervior, that call was 22 min 32 Seconds before I was disconnected and did not get a call back. After reading a few other reviews about the "cannot find your reservation" etc, This is the LAST TIME I will book a room with any Choice Hotels, And no I should NOT have to book on line to be able to get a room.

Choice Hotels response

Hi William! We appreciate you providing your feedback regarding the poor service you received during the reservation process. Choice Hotels strives to provide a seamless booking experience. If you still need assistance, my team would be happy to help. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with any stay information you possess. Please include the name on the reservation, date of arrival, confirmation number, and hotel address. We will be on the lookout for your message. -Taylor

Original review: May 9, 2019

I attempted to check into one of their hotels at which time my card was charged but did not "show up" on the computer. Even after I provided the transaction number and receipt to the manager, he refused to correct the situation and told me to leave. I attempted to call corporate to get my money back at which time they told me they can't really help me beyond asking the hotel manager to contact my financial institution for a refund. Not a single offer to compensate me for having to purchase an additional hotel room because of the incident or having to cut my trip short because of the added expense of having to purchase another hotel room. I had to contact my institution on my own and file a dispute to get my money credited back. Worst experience I have ever had with a hotel branch. It was blatantly obvious the corporation does NOT stand behind their name. Do not deal with them if you like your money. BEWARE!!!!

Choice Hotels response

Cathy, we are saddened to hear of this experience. Especially for your first trip home in 13 years. We'd be disappointed too. If we can do anything to help, please send us a private message with the reservation details to include your full name, email and mailing address. You also mentioned that you spoke with corporate, if they provided a reference number to you during that call, please provide that to us as well. Thanks for reaching out to us, and choosing Choice Hotels. Cathy W

Resolution response: May 14, 2019

This is an updated review. Choice Hotels heard my concerns and issues I had with their reward program and helped me out. I am grateful and my faith in the brand is restored. I will be booking with them in the near future and look forward to staying at their hotels this summer. A big thank you to Taylor and Cathy.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Had a similar experience to another customer losing their reward points with zero communication. I did a lot of travel staying loyal to Choice Hotels brand and accumulated enough reward points to get a free night at one of their hotels. A few days ago just went to book a few Choice Hotels for a week long road trip only to find all my points completely gone. I received no notifications either by mail or email that the points were expiring, otherwise I would have booked something. I called to state my case and say how much I love the brand and that I was looking forward to staying in their hotels this summer, but customer service was completely inflexible saying there was nothing they could do and that the points expired 2 days before the phone call. They could care less how much money I spent or that I was loyal to the brand.

I'm not happy and this is no way to treat a good customer. As a photographer and who has traveled quite a bit, I'm incredibly disappointed in how I was treated by their customer service and rewards program who are outsourced and could care less about those of us booking Choice Hotels in the U.S. I have a large social media following and am about to spill the beans there. I am so upset.

Choice Hotels response

Heather, we are listening and definitely want to step in and help. We truly regret that you missed the notification on your statements of your points expiring. We want you to be able to start your summer off right. We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your Member ID, full mailing and email address. We will look into this and reach back out to you. We are grateful for the opportunity to have you back as our guest. Cathy W

Original review: May 7, 2019

I do not travel a lot, but had almost a free night's stay. My husband and I were going to take another trip and went to go check our points only to find out it said we had zero. Wrote customer service on May 2nd and they wrote back saying that our points expired May 1st. If I would have booked my room one day before I would have still had my points? They would not reinstate my points. They never sent a notice saying they were changing their policy and I’d lose my points if I didn’t stay with them before the time was up. They never informed me that as of this date I would no longer have points. Called customer service and still the same story. If you are an average person like myself, but yet want to stay loyal to one hotel chain, do yourself the favor of booking with Holiday Inns or any other chain of hotel that has a loyalty program where your dollars spent/points earned will not expire.

Choice Hotels response

Oh no, that is not the level of service we strive to provide any of our valued guests, Denise. We'd like the opportunity to take another look into this matter. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your Choice Privileges account information. For account security, please include the name, account number, mailing address, email, and phone number associated with your account. We will be on the lookout for your response. -Taylor

Original review: May 6, 2019

I requested a non smoking room. When entered the room it reeked of cigarettes, I asked the manager and his response was "that's all we have". As I went back I noticed cigarette burns on bed covering and went back to him and his response was "well, that's what you get when you get a smoking room" with absolutely no help and extremely rude. Upon going back to the disgusting room I saw molds on walls, dead and alive bugs on walls and floor, disgusting amount of dust in the air unit, paint patches and we decided with these condition there probably will be bed bugs and we slept sitting up on the floor. THE MOST DISGUSTING experience I have ever had. CHOICE HOTEL SHAME ON YOU for allowing your guests to stay at such a revolting and health hazard room.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for reaching out. We strive to provide our loyal guests with great accommodations and service. From the sound of things, it seems like something went wrong, and I'm sorry to hear that. My team would like the opportunity to address this with the hotel. We want to help! Please send us a private message with your stay information. Please include the hotel address, confirmation number, date of arrival, and name on the reservation. Hope to hear from you soon. -Taylor

Original review: May 6, 2019

Called Choice - we are Privilege members. Hard to understand w/ her accent. Poor reception. So hard to communicate. She booked our non-refundable w/out us being able to request a 'quiet' room. VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience with our Guest Service team. Choice Hotels strives to provide exceptional service to all our valued guest. We appreciate you letting us know where we need to make improvements to ensure a fantastic experience for each guest. If you still need assistance with your reservation, please feel free to send us a private message with all the details. Thank you for your time and for sharing your thoughts. -Taylor

Original review: May 2, 2019

Tried for a week to get a hold of the Hotel. Was charged for a night no show. Customer Service didn't have any power to make me happy. They could not get a hold of the hotel either. They were so mean and kept hanging up on me. I tried to contact my credit card with is also Choice and they said I needed to work it out with the hotel, that doesn't answer their phone. Their resolution was for me to go directly to the Hotel iN MY ANGERED STate. That is not a good plan!

Choice Hotels response

Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention, Judith. It's understandable where we failed to meet your expectations of us. I agree that there has to be a better way to resolve this, and hope that we can restore your faith in us. Please send us a private message with your confirmation number, location of the hotel, date of arrival, as well as the full name on the reservation including contact information. I hope we can touch base soon! *Julio

Original review: April 30, 2019

One year ago we had reservations for the Rodeway Inn in Kingsland, GA. It had a 3 star rating on reviews and was a Choice Hotel, so I figured it would be safe, and booked it. When we got there we found out how wrong we were. Transients hanging out in the parking lot and hallways and obviously living there, roof blown off and not repaired, rooms horrible, old furniture, dirty bedding. Cans full of cigarette butts on the walkway outside our room, another can with the word "thanks" on it used for begging. We felt totally unsafe, and figured our car wouldn't be safe either, and asked immediately for a refund. We didn't get it but still left and stayed somewhere else, it was that bad.

I went back and forth with Choice Hotels for weeks about a refund, and finally got one after I posted on their Facebook page what was going on. I told them then that they needed to send someone in management out to this motel to see what it was really like. The reviews are mostly terrible reviews, with a few 4 and 5 stars intermingled. I'm assuming that the transients that live there are given a discount if they post a good review, or else the management posts fake reviews, because there is no way on earth that this should rate more than a 0 or a 1. We drove by this month, and it's still open under the Rodeway Inn brand, and there are still terrible reviews going up. This tells me that Choice Hotels have no quality control, and just any hotel can use the brand name if they pay. I haven't used Choice Hotels since, and I won't use them in the future. Where is your pride, Choice Hotels?

Choice Hotels response

We're disappointed to learn of the poor level of quality you experienced during your visit. Choice Hotels aims to provide all our guests with an exceptional stay. We'd like to investigate this matter and review with the hotel owner. Can you please send us a DM with your stay info? Please include the name on the reservation, conf#, date, and hotel address. We understand this happened last year, but whatever info will help immensely. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Talk more soon!

Original review: April 29, 2019

On 04/27 I booked online a stay at one of your properties in Lafayette, LA for checking in that day and leaving out on the next day. As I was in route to the property I received a phone call from a Sheranda informing me that she needed to cancel my reservation because she had a walk-in customer there and needed to give the room I had booked to the walk in customer because they were actually on the property and I wasn’t. She offered to find me a hotel elsewhere, but I declined because I was told this particular hotel was the one I needed to stay at. Then the one she offered to send me too was already sold out as well. So I didn’t understand how she was going to get me a room there when they were sold out already. While I appreciated the effort for the accommodation that should have been offered to the walk-in customer to find a room vs me since I already had guaranteed my stay by booking online.

This was bad customer service and I was not treated fairly at all. I literally had to drive around to every hotel that was nice to find if a room was available. I do not like staying at just any hotel establishment so this time was wasted because for me I already had a room and it was abruptly taken from me with no regard like I wasn’t a customer. No customer should be treated like this. I was coming due to a family member being admitted into the hospital with no room to stay at relative’s houses. For me I feel like I was just abandoned and no customer should feel that way. This was very poor customer service Choice Hotels and from the looks of things something needs to change and quickly.

Choice Hotels response

Hello Arni! Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We can understand the frustration with your reservation getting canceled and would like to address it with hotel management. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to chat with you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: April 24, 2019

BEWARE...especially is you have ADA accommodations. I checked in for my reservation and as I have already had an issue with a manager and my ADA dog, I brought it to the desk clerks attention. I was asked a number of illegal and specifically banned questions. I informed the desk clerk what he was doing was illegal, and instead offered the correct questions (with answers) as well as the ADA service dog website.

I was checked in, but was told I was required to return to the front desk to "register" the dog and have her "inspected." I was told that I MUST have a service dog vest on my animal at ALL TIMES. As this is specifically outlined by ADA, I informed the GM doing the "inspection" that I am not required to do so, I have NEVER had to, nor do I own such a vest.

Upon doing so, GM Mike ** (owner???/franchisee???) was INCREDIBLY rude and determined that the service animal was actually a pet.... Keep in mind, the ONLY reason the ADA service dog was even in the lobby or public area was because MIKE ** required an inspection!!! Otherwise, the animal would have been in a private area, undetected by ANY guest!

At several opportunities throughout the encounter, I cited the correct statute and offered the ADA website/documents I was referring to and quoting. MIKE ** simply reminded me that HE KNOWS THE ADA. It is "hotel policy and that takes priority over FEDERAL LAW. In order to avoid the $249 pet cleaning fee, I checked out of the room and went further up the street and checked into a different property, who acted lawfully and professionally! Only after I demanded a ZERO'd receipt was I given one, but the "deposit" remained on my card...

I reached out to CHOICE HOTELS and have yet to receive an email, call, or even a notice of receipt of my complaint. I followed up with the same 800#, and I was assured that I am important, and my opinion matters. After reviewing the YELP and Google reviews for the property and MIKE **, it is obvious that this is a known issue, but CHOICE Hotels prefers not to deal with it. I look forward to ANY contact from Choice Hotels, ironically 3 ADA compliance attorneys have already made contact but not ANYTHING from CHOICE!!

Choice Hotels response

We'd love the opportunity to get this very important matter addressed, Cal. This is so disappointing to read, and rest assured, Choice Hotels provides very detailed ADA training to our franchisees. We regret that you had to go through this unnecessarily, and we were not able to have you as our guest. Please send us a private message here with your full name and the exact name and location of the hotel. We'll reach back out to you, we promise. Enjoy your day, Cathy

Original review: April 19, 2019

I stayed at this hotel on April 10th for 1 night. They checked me into an upgraded room. After settling in, I went to take a shower and noticed the water didn't get hot. I immediately brought it to front desk attention and ask for a credit to my bill. The hotel refused and offered me reward points. So I called guest services and filed a complaint. Guest services said that I was in fact eligible for a discount and informed to reach out to then if the hotel refuses to offer me a discount. At this time I was still not offered the discount and a supervisor hung the phone up on me just because I asked her her name and agent ID.

Choice Hotels response

Oh gosh, Latney.We definitely strive to provide our guests with much better service than you've had. We sincerely regret that this situation was not turned around for you. We would absolutely like the opportunity to look into this for you. You mentioned that you had a call into Customer Relations, send us a reference number by private message if you have one. Or, please provide us with your confirmation number and all of your stay details. We'll reach back out to you. We promise. Chat soon,Cathy

Original review: April 19, 2019

Very bad customer service. Didn't notify me about expiring points, and just forfeited all my points. I received email showing I have over 20k points, but saw 0 point when I accessed my account. Customer service refused to put back points even they knew it was their fault.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I can understand where your frustrations lie, as it's unsettling to learn that we couldn't meet your expectations with our Choice Privileges program.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I made 2 reservations on Choice Hotels website using their Miles+Cash option. I was not certain at the time of booking if the locations I chose would be close enough to the event or if the event would even be confirmed. So I was extremely cautious about booking a refundable and flexible option. I am a 10+ year Elite member and have booked many paid nights and redeemed plenty of reward nights over my years.

When booking, the only disclaimer was that it needed to be cancelled more than 24hrs prior to the stay. I cancelled one of these two rooms I had about 6 weeks prior to the stay. Choice redeposited the points immediately however they kept the $150. They said that the money portion was not refundable. When I reserved the room there was no disclaimer that I agreed to or clicked agreeing to this. As stated, I reserved 2 separate hotels and was already on high alert to not make any expensive errors. I feel extremely ripped off by Choice. At least let your customer have a credit to use for a future stay. Taking this money when no goods or services were given is disgusting, especially since it was cancelled 6+ weeks prior.

Additionally, I was given horrible customer service when I called their "Elite" phone line and the problems just kept compounding from there. I emphatically feel that Choice website did not have me click an agreement or release that I knew I was not eligible for a refund. This was not on the booking page when I made my reservation, I am absolutely certain. They argue it was there. I am really bummed that Choice has gone to such efforts to ruin relations with their most loyal customers.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Brodie. Please know we care to know what our guests, and members alike, are sharing about us. From the sound of it, something went awry, which makes us curious to learn more so we can prevent this from happening again. I appreciate you for sticking with us over the years, so we hope that we can restore your faith in Choice Hotels. Send us a message with your membership number, and contact information associated with the account for verification purposes. Hope to connect soon! *Julio

Original review: April 15, 2019

I stayed at a Quality Inn for 2 nights while traveling for work just to receive the points but I did not get any points because I booked it through my works Concur site. I had done this before and got points. I would not have a problem with them not giving me points if they would have just let me know in advance the stay would not count. Also, I got their credit card to receive 15 points for each dollar spent which I did not receive instead I got double points. When I called they said at least I got some points. Zero customer service! Back to being a loyal Bonvoy customer. I never should have tried Choice.

Choice Hotels response

Hi Jason! We appreciate you contacting us. It is disappointing to learn about the troubles you encountered with our Choice Privileges Reward Program. In order to earn Choice Privileges points for qualifying stays, you must book directly with Choice Hotels. However, my team is happy to review your account. Please send us a private message with your Choice Privileges member ID along with the full name, mailing, address, email, and telephone number. Hope to chat with you soon.~Mikael

Original review: April 15, 2019

Updated on 5/10/2019: Booked a reservation for January, which couldn't be found when I contacted them to confirm details. As such I booked a different property for the same night. I was billed for both nights. Took me 6 weeks finally get Choice to investigate and confirm I am eligible for a refund based on the agent not finding my original reservation. Followed up 4 weeks later and found out the refund was not processed as they claim that I refused the refund. Why would I refuse a refund of my money. I did however, decline the 1000 points compensation offer. They once again said they would investigate my conversation with their supervisor to better understand why my refund was not processed originally. This would take 7-10 business days and they would be in touch. We are now 17 days since our last communication. Still no reply to confirm why my refund was not processed. And they have become unresponsive to my emails.

For 4 months now, I have been fighting to get my refund (which they confirmed I am entitled to.). Yet nothing is happening and they are not responding. As added frustration, they keep eluding to my forthcoming refund as a "goodwill" offering. Somehow giving me back my money is doing me a favor which I should feel grateful for. As a warning to all customers. Do not prepay any hotel rooms with Choice hotels as they will apparently keep your money even when they make a mistake!!

Original Review: Made a reservation through Choice website but didn't receive the reservation confirmation. 2 days before my stay, I called to confirm the reservation details, but the agent couldn't find my reservation. So we booked another room at a different hotel. The morning after the stay I was billed for both rooms. 1) Hotel wouldn't refund me. 2) Called Choice Hotels guest relations. They tried to get the hotel to refund. Hotel still wouldn't refund. 3) Choice Hotels guest relations investigated my claim and confirm the agent couldn't find my reservation.

4) Choice offered a cheque to replace the night's stay but said it would take 6-8 weeks. 5) Followed up today and Choice has not issued the cheque claiming that I denied the compensation. (Who would ever decline the money they are entitled to). 6) I have been hung up on, disconnected and rudely dealt with. Using the B.S. Line "I am sorry sir, we seem to be having connection issues. Please call us back @ ..."

7) They have all of the evidence in hand with recorded conversations, and yet, they are not willing to share the facts with the customer. 8) Confirmed today the cheque is still going to take 6-8 weeks. This is hardly a guest relations department. Guest relations should strive to ensure customer satisfaction and loyalty. They make zero effort to do so. I can honestly say this is the worst experience I have ever had. Over 12 weeks into trying to get a refund and being told I have to wait another 6-8 weeks!!!

Choice Hotels response

Hi Michael. Thank you for taking the time to contact us again. We regret to hear about the reservation and billing issues you've encountered. My team would like to take a second look at this matter. Please send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Original review: April 12, 2019

Choice Hotels yes??? You only have one choice NO NO NO. If you care about service all the way from booking to service, this is not the company to use. I made the big mistake to book a hotel thru this company, and the fact that I had to paid in advance should have give me a clue. Never before I was ask to pay for my stay before I actually did. And in my case I was unable to proceed with my plans due to medical circumstances. I contacted the company and explain to them my predicament, hoping I was able to do a cancelation or at the very least, be able to change my reservation for another time. To my surprise they did not care at all. They did not even tried to be helpful about it, so OK I lost my money for one night but they lost a recurrent customer and I hope they will lost a lot more customer after they read my post. In other words CHOICE HOTELS is not the real CHOICE.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, there! Thank you for taking the time to reach out. We're disheartened to learn about the problems you experienced with your reservation and understand your disappointment with the customer service you received. My team would like a second chance to contact the hotel on your behalf. Please send us a private message with additional details. Also, be sure to include the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation number. Hope to hear from you soon. ~Mikael

Choice Hotels Company Information