Choice Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have been a member of the Choice Hotels' points system for 15 years, and the reservation system continues to get worse. It takes a full ten minutes to get in contact with a person to arrange a reservation, because there is an automated question system which ask for information that you will have to give to the live person when you finally get someone to answer. This is a very annoying and unnecessary routine. I also have a beef with this company, because they cheated me out of points that I was promised for a stay in a Quality Inn in Henderson, Nevada. I am looking to explore another method and Hospitality company to do business with.

I booked two rooms in Lethbridge Alberta for our vacation. Three days after booking I contacted them to discuss some sort of reduction. Because my mother was diagnosed with cancer and I would be using my vacation to spend with her. I was on hold for 45 min. and then forward to another number with a recording. The reservation was weeks away but I received no response for 2 months.

Booked rooms July 18. Called to cancel July 21 for rooms booked on August 5th. Never got a response until Sept. 4th. The same day my mother passed away on. Apparently they do not care about people, because their customer service is so backed up according to their e-mail on the 4th. This disorganized company is just in it for your money. I will never use them unless it's to give them a bad review.

I tried to book a hotel room. I selected the dates. I searched around and made my choice. When I got my email it was not the dates I selected. I called them right away. I sat on hold for over 2 hours getting transferred from person to person. Finally someone told me there was nothing they could do. I told them I still needed to book a room. I just needed to cancel that date (6 weeks into the future) and book a room for that weekend. I told them I would dispute the charges with my bank and they said "Go right ahead." They could have simply canceled this one and set me up with a new reservation and had a customer. Look at their reviews. It's obvious that I am not alone. Never use this website.

So this hotel might look nice and the rooms are comfortable but if you are looking for somewhere that the desk clerks are friendly, the breakfast is eatable and they will not make fraudulent charges on your account then this is not the place to stay. When me and my fiance checked into the hotel they were rude to him as they had been the two other times we stayed there, glutton for punishment I guess. We had decided to over look this as the rooms are nice and our kids live close. On this last stay though they reached new levels of rudeness. After checking into the room we decided that maybe we would like to stay a second night and called to see if the room that we were staying in would be available for a second night. We were told no and that if we wanted to stay another night we would have to check out and then recheck into another room.

Because I am disabled and moving rooms is just as hard as just driving some and stopping on down the road we decided that we did not want to do this and told him not to book the room. The next morning when we left the desk clerk said that we were checking out early because we had booked the room for two nights which was not right. The original booking was only for one night. Then when we left I looked at the paperwork and saw we were not getting our points so we called and got told the general manager was a lady and she was not in. When they transferred us back to the voicemail it hung up on us.

At this point we called Choice who did at this point try to call to and got told the same thing and held up on. Then later on down on the road we found out that they had booked us for a second night in the other room which we never asked them to do and we did not have the night to stay anyplace. Because of wild fires burning between Portland and Eastern Oregon where we live. It took us 9 hours to drive what usually is a four to five hour drive.

When we called the next morning we were informed by another employee that the general manager was actually a guy and he would be back in thirty minutes. In thirty five minutes I called back to be told he was in a meeting. I then proceeded to talk to the lady desk clerk who answered this time because she said maybe she could help come to find out. She was the lady that said the manager was a lady the day before. I asked her why she had said this to both us and Choice and she said she never said this. So we call back to see when the manager might get out of the meeting to find out from another employee he was not in a meeting and had just gotten back. Not sure why the lady kept thinking she needed to lie.

At this point my fiance talked to the manager who seemed not to care about what happened and when we asked who his boss was he said "Nobody." Then he told my fiance that Choice owns Clarion, which Choice says is not true. I will never stay at Clarion again. I would suggest to other travelers that they do not either.

I have contacted Choice Corporate six or seven times and each time the phone goes dead, this after having waiting at least one-half hour to get someone in Customer Relations. I cannot even state my case because the line goes dead. (Are they instructed to hang up on people to make it more difficult to voice a problem?) I have been trying to talk to them for two months now. There were numerous problems with the room (damp floor - next to pool) and the lock (didn't work - had to get new card twice a day, every day) but my main concern is to get them to issue a refund for the overage the clerk charged me for. He was incorrect and now I cannot get them on the line to research this. I am so frustrated.

Here are the exact details: I reserved under the "Friends and Family" plan, which has a link and gives you a low price. When I called the hotel, the clerk said I didn't need to go through the link - that the AARP price was the same and he would use that. He did. However, it was TWICE what the Friends and Family cost would have been. Since that time, I have tried many, many times to contact Choice about this error. Their final terse letter to me told me that basically that I was out of luck. This is a difference of hundreds of dollars for a seven-day stay. I would like to keep fighting this, but I keep getting disconnected. They do not respond to my emails, which are sent to the correct email address grdesk@choicehotels.com. What is most upsetting is that I cannot even discuss the situation with someone. I keep getting a clerk in a foreign country who says he or she will pass it on.

Dear Eileen,

I'm writing on behalf of Executive office of Choice Hotels International.

Your willingness to share your concerns and observations is genuinely appreciated.

We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally. If you would be so kind as to call our office at 1-800-435-8595 at your convenience, we will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Kari S.

Executive Guest Services

tel 1.800.435.8595
fax 1.602.953.4953

crexecutive@choicehotels.com

CC: 8852601

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

I made a reservation at a Choice hotel online. I intended to reserve one room for two adults, but after I entered my reservation, the info the website gave me said one adult. So I went back to correct it and accidentally entered that I wanted two rooms for one adult rather than one room for two adults. The reservation was a special rate - non-cancellable and non-refundable. So I called the assistance number their website gave me. After several minutes on hold, I was connected with someone who asked me a lot of personal data, then asked what I wanted. When I told him, he said that he couldn't help me with that, but would connect me with someone else. I now waited another 20 minutes or so on hold listening to a very annoying repetitious message and at that point was given a message saying that they were very busy, could I please call back later. I didn't and hung on.

After about 5 minutes a live person came on the phone. After asking me the same data all over, he told me he couldn't help with the problem and I needed to contact the hotel directly. I strongly objected so he said he would call the hotel himself. After about 15 more minutes on hold, I called the hotel directly using another phone. They told me they had received the call from the Choice Hotels rep and had resolved the problem 10 minutes earlier. At this point I hung up on Choice Hotels. Their rep called me about 5 minutes later and told me what I had already heard from the hotel. Incredibly poor customer service, I think.

We have been traveling the US for business for three months renting three rooms in a different city/hotel every night. I've had too much time and money invested with Choice Hotels and they have pushed me to start using Hilton, Wyndham and Marriott. When I request late check out for one of the rooms the Hotel Managers/Owners get irritated and want you to know they're doing you a favor. Some of them will only allow one hour after their regular checkout time. I even had an owner chase me down catching me at my room door to say "Since I'm letting you checkout at 1pm please leave us a good review".

As a Diamond member I have spent too much money to be paying for favors that I've already earned. Choice Privileges is not the easiest partner to do business with. Whether you book online or reserve at the front desk you should automatically receive your points. That's not the case. I have to watch my Choice account like my bank account or I am shorted thousands of points. My account is pushing upwards of 200,000 points with Choice Hotels. Do you think they care?! No, their hotels are going downhill fast. They are buying up all the old junkie/stinky hotels that are going out of business or bankrupt. I'd rather sleep in my car.

Drove from Pennsylvania to South Carolina only to find the Comfort Inn I was sold rooms to was still under construction. It was to see the eclipse in North Charleston. You heard it right, sold rooms to an incomplete hotel. After a 12 hour ride this was not what I expected. I called Choice Hotel customer relations. WHAT A JOKE. They said, "We can try to find another hotel if there's in the area." RIGHT, they’re all booked for the eclipse. By some miracle the Best Western next door had just got a cancellation, the last room in the hotel. I took it, but charged me double the rate.

Choice would not refund me the difference, after many calls. Thought that was the least they could do. Best they would do is put 12000 points on my rewards card. What a joke, that amount will barely get you a low end room for 1 night. The question remains, in this age of computers how do you sell rooms in a hotel under construction??? WE WILL NEVER STAY AT A CHOICE HOTEL AGAIN!!! So much for making your customers happy.

I had a prepaid reservation with a confirmation number in their Lubbock hotel at 3201 Loop 289 South for two rooms, one with a king bed, one with two double beds. When I checked in, I was told my reservation had been changed without any contact with me to two rooms each with two double beds. When I asked to have my original reservation honored, they said their corporate office had made then changes and there was nothing they could do even though there were several rooms with king beds available at that time.

While I was talking with the front desk about this, another couple checked in also with a prepaid reservation and confirmation number and were told they did not have a room at the hotel that night because it was sold out. After demanding they get their room, they were told to call the main number for Choice Hotels and work with them on the phone. The front desk personnel only apologized for the inconvenience. Unless I have no other options, I will never stay with Choice Hotels again.

The Choice Hotels are not my problem. Though I was at one Hotel this past week, which I consider to be dirty. But it’s the call centre. My God and the other part to this is the corporate office when I call both in Maryland and Phoenix in the USA., they don't want to hear complaints, they pass you on to those who had the grievance with.

I don't care what country the call takers or those who reserve the hotels for choice, but where is the customer service. I blame the people at the top down, it’s always like that. It represent the company, if the top don't care, your lower staff, don't care as well, my opinion. Then when asked to transfer me to someone who can help you are put on hold forever. I spent at least 35 mins, long distance trying to book a room, had one in a different state but needed another. Who is going to pay my long distances charges, roaming charges. Why can they say we are busy and tell me to call later. I am so still pissed.

My experience this past weekend, trying to book a hotel, telling me to hold and then the system is down, then I booked, but can't give you a booking reference. I have been in hospitality and Customer Service for the last 25 yrs, worked in Canada’s biggest venues, not was would I run a business like that, no way. Get your house in order, if money is your only objective and I know you are accountable to investors, but your investors would lose money, because of the lack of those wanting to stay at Choice Hotels, will affect the investors and comments like this. Read your post. People don't make up stuff like this. I don't.

I made a reservation for one night on the Choice hotel website in Lake Charles for July 19th. Email for the confirmation came back stating that the stay was for 5 nights the last week in Sept. and my credit card was charged with the non-refundable rate! Calls to the non-customer service line somewhere overseas were a total waste of time. I even called the hotel directly and the manager told me that the owner would not cancel. Just got off the phone with my credit card company and they said there was nothing they could do so I'm out $560. But I travel 80 nights a year on business and will never stay at a Choice property again!

I booked a room at the Rodeway Inn South in Sandusky, Ohio. The first room we were given didn't lock, had a bathroom window that was duct taped together, smelt disgusting and had a giant spider web on the wall. We asked for a new room and were "upgraded"... This time we had a locking door but the room still smelt like someone died in it and there bugs all over the wall. DISGUSTING. Long story short... We were promised a refund and left. Days after our stay they charged my card AGAIN for an amount over our original price. After 3+ hours trying to get my money back and being told countless times the manager would return my call, no one ever called me back. I finally got my money back but this was the WORST hotel stay of my life and their corporate headquarters condones this behavior and was zero helping resolving my issues or making me feel valued. I will never stay at another Choice Hotel.

Choice Hotels have been talking about if you stay two different trips you can get a gift card. I took a trip in May for three nights with my name on the reservation, because I was the one traveling. Our choice privileges account is under my husband's name with my name on the credit card information. Choice Hotels will not give me credit for that stay because the reservation was not under my husband's name. This is ridiculous! And fraudulent if you ask me!!! Now I have to travel again because of a death in my family and I needed the card for gas money!!

I booked a hotel through Choice Hotels for a lower rate but when they sent my confirmation email, THE RATE WAS $30 MORE! When I called, they told me it may have been a computer error but they couldn't help or change it, NO HELP AT ALL, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. Luckily, the hotel manager changed my dates so that I could keep that rate. I hated to push my trip back two weeks but she was so nice and helpful! Do not book through Choice Hotels. You come out better going to the hotel directly or using another booking agency!!!

I stayed at two Clarion Choice Hotels, Virginia Beach, VA in June and Charlotte, SC443 in July. Both had the same problems. Non-working telephones, the non-smoking rooms had a bad smell of smoke. Virginia Beach the floor was so dirty you didn't want to walk on it. We were given another room not much difference. Charlotte the walls had dead bugs on them. A child had color one wall red, blue and green. Bathroom the show soap dish was broken off and in the floor. the plaster on the balcony was hang off.

Choice Hotels terrible customer service is not service at all. It is all in another country. They never fix any problems, can't understand half of what they say, Wait time was over 25 minutes to speak to someone. Then she connected me to another 20 minute wait, I finally hung up and started again. Aaagghhh! I can't stand this chain anymore. Hotels are getting very high priced and crappier looking. I am in one now, it smells of mold, has a dirty office chair, floor is not clean, bathroom mirror looks like a dirty rag wiped over it. I have been staying at choice hotels almost 15 years now, I will be changing hotel chains to a different one starting my next stay. DO NOT STAY AT THESE CRAPPY PLACES.

The room (Room 106 at 1201 US Hwy 17N, Surfside Beach, SC 297575) was not clean and had a very bad smell in the room. Found out the room had a defect in the air con that put out moisture out in the room. Clothes and furniture were damp. We stay from Sunday to Wednesday morning. Went to office. Put complaint in Monday morning and they give us a dehumidifier for the room like that helped. The furniture to put the clothes in was wet and terrible smell. There was a woman that worked there. Heard the conversation and said that there has been complaints about this room prior to me arriving.

My grandson and I both got sick, had to go to the doctor for this problem. Needless to say the vacation was ruined and now we have doctor bill on top of that and I am still sick and have miss work for a week. This was very unacceptable and this room should not be used at all and we should have been giving a new room right away. I can not believe the way I was treated and the room. I have stay at lots of Comfort Inn and never had this problem. I would like a reply to my email and a full refund.

Stay away from using the app or Choice Hotels in general. I reserved a single room and canceled 2 weeks out. But was still charged. I was then told that I reserved 2 rooms. Both my confirmation and cancellation numbers indicate a single room. Now I'm forced to fight to get my money back. Their customer service is trouble. Have to wait in excess of 20 minutes on hold to even talk to somebody. Even then that person isn't empowered to help you. Told they will investigate and get back to you in days. Of course I never heard back. Had to dispute it with the credit card to get my money. Stay away!!!!

I booked a date and confirmed as different rate. "Within a minute" I called them to resolve the issue. They said, "It may be a software glitch, but we can't help." They did not help. THEY GAVE SEVERAL NUMBERS. NO ONE RESOLVED. I lost my money. Friends DON'T TRUST CHOICE HOTELS. They are unprofessionals and cheap. My confirmation is **. Booked date: June 19. Requested date for hotel June 16 but I confirmation as July 5.

When I purchased points through Choice Hotels many times it's been cancelled. When I contacted them for getting the reason they told me to contact POINTS.com. In the meantime they have increased the hotel price. Again when I tried to contact them I have been put in queue for more than 10 minutes every time. But not connected.

Quality Inn Hemet, CA - I recently booked 11 rooms ($3,000) worth of rooms for our football team's tournament. I called 4 times to assure everything was okay and booked. I faxed my CC info, IDs and everything they asked over to them. Once again calling after to make sure everything was okay. I receive a call 1 week before our travel date to a woman saying, "I am sorry, but your reservation fell through the system." Well what does this mean for us? Apparently it means nothing because she said there was nothing she or anyone could do because the rooms were booked by other people. I kept explaining to her that I called numerous times to ensure everything was good to go and I kept getting the same answer, "Yes, everything is good to go." This is VERY frustrating and we now had to scramble around to find rooms for our football team.

My family and I stayed at the Quality Inn in Duluth Ga for 2 nights. I went up to the front desk to pay for another night. The lady swiped my card, proceeded to tell me that my card was declined, and told me we had to be out by 11. I checked my bank account, and the money for room had came out, even though she claimed my card was declined. I even showed the lady my account and where the money had came out, and she still claimed that it wasn't paid, and told us that if we weren't out by 11, she would call the police. I ended up having to call my bank and put a stop payment on the money, so I wouldn't get screwed. Also, we've stayed there twice this summer. No extra night, no gift card as they advertise. We will never stay there again. That hotel isn't even worth the price anyway. And the breakfast is disgusting. Not recommended!

I planned a trip with my son and my sister to our hometown in Manitoba, so in April I started to book our rooms. I knew there was a possibility that we may have to change the travel dates, so I made sure the rooms I booked would allow me to make changes without being charged. As predicted, I did have to make some changes, and did so at all 3 of the hotels I had booked, including the Comfort Inn and Suites (Choice Hotel) in Virden Manitoba. My travel dates had to change again, and this time I had to actually cancel the rooms, and it was no problem at all with the first 2 hotels, but when it came to Choice Hotels it was a big problem. I sent them an email explaining that my computer had a glitch and I had lost some of my emails, one being my confirmation # for the room I had booked with them.

At that time I told them I needed to cancel the room. They responded and told me it was a non refundable room, and that I couldn't cancel it, and there was nothing they could do about it. So I phoned and talked to several people, but they all refused to let me cancel. I told the last guy I talked to that I will never stay at a Choice Hotel again, and asked him to cancel the 2 nights I had booked at the Clarion in Brandon. He did so, but he didn't even care! So they lost a 2 night stay because they refused to cancel a 1 night stay. Doesn't make sense to me. So, I wonder what happens now, I won't be there to use the room, so does it just sit empty for the night? I bet they will book it again, and get double the money! It shocks me that a big hotel chain would be like this.

For the last week I stayed in one of your Choice hotels, in Alachua, FL. First, let me start by saying that I had 2 of my daughters with me (one of which has severe asthma, the other has an 8 month old infant, who was also with us and WOULD have been crawling on the floor had I not been so disgusted when I first walked into the room). We traveled almost 1600 miles from Missouri, so by the time we got to the hotel, we were extremely tired and were hoping (and expecting) a clean and ready to crawl into bed. We were given anything but clean. There were beer cans and food all over the floor in the main room, the floors had not been vacuumed, there were no curtains in the window, nor had the beds been cleaned in a while based on their condition.

I walked to the reception desk, where the situation only got worse. Management did not believe me concerning the state of the original room, but finally gave me a different room. I did not get an apology and was essentially called a liar because the manager said he would need to see that for himself before believing me about the state of the room.

The second room we were given was not much better than the first. The floors had not been vacuumed in that room either, the bathroom door was broken like it had been kicked in, the table was broken, the remote for the AC was taped together, the shower had dirt caked on the side as though it had not been cleaned in months, the shower head was broken and did not work properly, and the entire room smelled of mold and mildew from being moist for too long without being properly cleaned. At that point, I took it upon myself to clean the room as I could tell I was getting nowhere with management.

Outside was not much better than the inside. There were old rolled up nasty carpets in the hallway. If there is remodeling, as a courtesy, there should be signs informing the customers to watch themselves, and apologizing for the mess. There was none of that. The maid was evidently too lazy to walk downstairs with the laundry and proceeded to throw it on the ground downstairs. Towels, washcloths and bedding can contain various bodily fluids as well as potential bugs from prior disgusting guests, and throwing those on the ground below is blatant laziness. What would they have done if someone's bedbug infested sheets landed on one of your customers walking out the door??

I had plans on renting from your chain of hotels in Branson when I go there for a visit, but I have NO intention of EVER visiting a Choice Hotel in the future. I went to Florida to watch one of my daughter's graduate and your hotel chain turned what should have been happiness and relaxation into hell on earth, to the point of I feel like I should have gotten the maid wages, with as much cleaning I had to do in order to even trust my granddaughter on the floor. Get it together, for the sake of your company, your name as well as for your CUSTOMERS. Nobody should be exposed to the level of customer service and filth that I was exposed to.

I can only hope that this letter lands on listening ears and you take into consideration what I have said in order to better your company and GAIN customers rather than lose them. The rooms need to be updated DRASTICALLY, as they don't look like the pictures online, and guests should feel WELCOME not like they are a maid service coming in to do someone else's job that YOU are paying someone to do. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Recently I booked a hotel at Quality Inn through Choice privilege. It was the worst experience I ever had on vacation. The room smelled so bad and there was yelling and fighting right outside the hotel all night. The bathroom was not clean and had been used prior to our arrival. The toilet had urine all over it. There were multiple broken things in our room. I will never book with Choice Privilege again and I will make sure all of my friends, family and co-workers never stay with any Choice Hotels.

I tried making a reservation for a Thursday evening. I changed the date of arrival three times. When the confirmation came back it was for the day I made the reservation (Monday) with the nice little footnote that the reservation could not be cancelled, changed or refunded. This is a very "tricky" website that needs an update. To me it appears to be set up to trick an unsuspecting customer into paying for something they did not intend to reserve.

Choice Hotels Reservation and Privileges Membership is a SCAM... after nearly 2 years of wasting my time with these crooks, I give up. Their website is nearly impossible to use and they lie about the rates after you try to book, they mysteriously go up... and up. All the hotels are owned by independent and in most cases rude, impolite and foreign management who really hates Americans... IMO. And if you complain, both to the managers, and Choice Hotels... THEY SIMPLY BLACKBALL YOU FROM EVER STAYING AT THAT HOTEL AGAIN... PERIOD. IT IS A SCAM!!!

My roommate and myself stayed at the Rodeway Turf hotel this past Sunday and Monday. I must say I have been going there for the past 25 yrs and this is the worst stay we have had in all the times we stayed there. First thing was there was only one towel and wash cloth in the room, after calling and waiting at least 2 hrs, I had to go to the front desk and get them myself. Then there was a loud humming noise and the bathroom floor was vibrating, again I called and no one came. As we were leaving that night after waiting several hours the front desk person said that the maintenance man was probably asleep and it was probably the Jacuzzi from the floor below us.

To top everything off as I lifted the covers off the floor the next morning there where goldfish crackers on the floor next to the bed. Never in all the years I have stayed at the Turf {now the Rodeway Turf} have I ever been dissatisfied as I have been this week. Oh and did you know that the slot machines in the bar area when printing out the pay off tickets better be even money, I cash a 10.99 cent ticket, the bartender said the safe don't carry change so he could only give me the ten and he kept the 99 cents. These 2 days were just unbelievable.

I made a reservation at a Comfort Inn using the Choice Hotels website. Due to a glitch that I will never know, the website reserved two rooms instead of one. Even though it was their mistake, Choice Hotels customer service would not refund me the charge for the second room. They would only give me useless points. I will never give the Choice Hotels website access to my credit card again. They are not interested in goodwill toward the customer. It was small money but a very large principle called "trust". Reading all the reviews, it's clear that the website is set up to "fail" in favor of Choice Hotels. It's a scam. At some point, I hope someone starts a class action against them. I will join.

This hotel is THE COMFORT INN BARRIE ONT, CANADA. I am a Platinum Member for 7 yrs with Choice Hotels Rewards program. HORRIBLE! No bath essentials provided. When requested, they still did not provide. Got a Double bed instead of a Queen size and billed for the Queen. TV did not work. When front desk was informed, they said nothing could be done. After dining and dancing, returned to hotel around 1:20 am to hear the "Night Manager" arguing with a guest on our floor and when we passed them, she turned her attention to us and started to lecture on being loud and the other guest asked why she was picking on them now? "Night Manager" as she calls herself started to act psycho, literally. She phoned the police and told them we were chasing her and threatening to harm her and we would not leave the hotel when she asked us to. NEVER HAVE I SEEN OR BEEN IN THIS SITUATION IN MY LIFE.

When police came she said everything was on video and I asked her to show them, she denied them. We were told at 3 am to leave. (Where were going to go at that time?) Got escorted to our room to pack and I picked up the phone and called front desk. When she answered, I said, "Really, I have to leave?" She responded with, "Does that mean you are apologizing to me?" I answered, "Yes." She then said, "Ok, you can stay." Spoke with the Officer who was with us only to find out that this so-called Night Manager is very well known to them in regards to many situations like ours. "NO LIES" this is the honest to god's truth. Will never deal with any CHOICE HOTELS again. Use BEST WESTERN. I've never had any problems or been dissatisfied.

Choice Hotels Company Profile