3.8/5 (674 ratings)

About Choice Hotels

Choice Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: May 3, 2022

I reserved my room with Choice Hotels over the phone. My stay was May 1-2, 2022. We got to the hotel and checked in and walked into our room which felt like a sauna. The ac was set to 60 degrees, but it was blowing hot air. I walked back to the front desk, waited on someone to come to the desk and the man who checked me in (which was the ONLY employee I saw) came to the desk. I told him the ac in my room was set to 60 but blowing warm air and it was very hot in my room. His reply was "You will have to wait for it to cool down, there is nothing I can do about it." I stood there in shock. Most hotels would offer to move you or at LEAST come verify the ac IS in fact blowing hot. I decided to drive to walmart and buy a fan. Good thing I did because by 1 am the temperature in my room reached 80 degrees.

The bed I slept on acted like it was going to fall over and break (I think it had a broken leg or base was broken) and the other bed was the one my kids were trying to sleep in so I could not choose the other bed. (Their bed had a HUGE sink hole in the middle of it that was evident from just walking into the room.) We got up and walked to breakfast if you can call it that.... the griddle for the waffles looked iffy so we were scared to use it. There was only oatmeal packets not grits, no fruit, no muffins or anything like that. The only choices was stale bread for toast (that looked like the flies were really enjoying it) or gravy biscuits and yogurt. I chose the gravy biscuits, I have to say I have NEVER seen yellow tan colored sausage before.... and it tasted NASTY. I could not do more than two bites. The orange juice was extra watered down. Tasted like water with a hint of orange flavoring.

When we walked back to our room (thankfully I had hung the do not disturb sign up) the cleaning staff were standing with the lady from the front desk talking at my door and the lady was looking at a sheet of paper. When they saw me coming she said something to them and walked back to the front. We pushed the cart into our room and loaded up to leave. (It was 9:30 AM at this time....check out 12pm is what I was told) When I got to the desk the lady seemed friendly, I told her since the man the night before refused to do anything about it I wanted to report to her what happened in our room. She said "OH so the ac is broken" and I said obviously it was because it got up to 80 degrees in our room last night. She said sorry. That was all. What I expected was to be switched rooms the night before when I told the man it was hot in my room. What I got was Obviously Choice hotels does not care about its customers.

Choice Hotels response

Jacqueline, we can imagine how aggravating this situation was for you; certainly, it's not the impression we aim to deliver to any of our guests. Please know that the event you described does not fit the standards we have for our guests. When you get a moment, please send us a private message with more information such as the confirmation number, hotel address, and name on the reservation? We will be waiting for your reply. -Debbie.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: April 20, 2022

BEWARE. I felt unsafe and taken advantage of by hotel staff and management during my stay. I checked in on 4/13/22 and checked out 4/16/22. My stay was booked through Expedia with a note that I would have my dog with me. Upon check-in, even though guests with dogs are placed on the first and second floors, I was oddly placed in a room on the third floor. Weird. Room 322. A room in a small hallway with no other guest rooms. The only other rooms in that hall are two storage rooms - for employees. I thought it was super shady and it felt odd.

I go out the next night and come back. No big deal, until I get ready to leave the next day and notice my jewelry is not where I left it the night before. I filed a police report that night. No one had permission to enter my room. I did not request guest service. I was the only guest in the room, and I had no visitors and did not give a hotel key card to anyone else. It is pretty evident to me that an employee stole my jewelry from my room when I left on Thursday night due to the location of my room, which is NOT under camera surveillance. I have a video to show this.

I could not enjoy my stay. I could not leave my room without fear an employee would come into my room again. This is not okay. Or acceptable guest service. The hotel did not apologize, nor do they care at all. This was the absolute worst stay at a hotel I’ve ever experienced in my life. The hotel owner cares more about money than about the fact a guest had things stolen from their room by the actual people on staff at the hotel itself. So awful.

Choice Hotels response

Hello, Kristi. We regret to hear about your poor encounter with the service of one of our trusted hotel brands. To follow up accordingly and alert appropriate parties for review, please send us a private message with the hotel address and complete name on the reservation. Talk to you soon. -Helder

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I booked two hotel rooms using Veterans Advantage with Choice Hotels. The hotel is as follows: Rodeway Inn Tampa. 2307 East Busch Blvd. Tampa, FL 33612. 1-813-932-0073. The reservations were as follows: Reservation #**. 12/31/2021 - 01/02/2022. 2 bed, non smoking room. Cost: $180.41. Reseration #**. 01/01/2022 - 01/02/2022. 2 bed, non smoking room. Cost: $89.72.

My wife, two grandchildren and I arrived at the hotel on 12/31/2021. We witnessed numerous homeless individuals on the hotel grounds and balconies, panhandling. We also witnessed drug deals and use occurring. We immediately started searching for other hotels and found everything booked due to the holiday. I then went to check in because we were two hours away from home. During check in, the clerk double charged me and only voided the second charge after showing her I paid online. The room we were given reeked of cigarette smoke so bad, you couldn’t stand in it without getting a headache.

We were given another room that didn’t smell as bad. We did use a lot of air freshener though. The sheets were dirty and cigarette burns were in the sheets and comforters. We were given new sheets to put on the beds ourselves. The room was in poor condition. That evening while I was getting a item out of the car, I was propositioned by one of the prostitutes working the grounds at the hotel. Security was on the grounds, turning a blind eye to this.

On 01/01/2021, at 10:30 pm timeframe, I checked my daughter into the second room. She was given a room with a single bed. We corrected this with the staff. The second room she received was also dirty and infested with roaches. We reported this to staff and were told there was nothing they would do. Told staff that was unacceptable, we were leaving and asked for a refund. Staff told us they would not refund anything because we entered the rooms. The hotel manager would not give any paperwork showing I rented the room or canceled the room due to unsanitary conditions. We were able to find safe and clean lodging using a First Responder site. We contacted Choice Hotels and was told they were sorry about the experience, however the hotels are independently owned and they have no control over it.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for contacting us and providing detailed information about what happened during your stay, Mike. It saddens us to learn that a valued guest like you had to suffer this unacceptable service. Our main objective is to recover your trust back in us and continue having the pleasure to be part of your stays. Could you please send the name under the reservation? Once we have this information, we'll follow up. -Ray

Original review: March 17, 2022

Firstly, I am a Canadian and hold a Choice Hotels Membership and has so for many years. We have not been able to travel to the US in the last couple of years due to Covid. What I have been doing in the meantime is “buying points” from them for the purpose of cashing them in on future reservations. I have invested a lot in these points. Anyone who has purchased these points can attest to this. I called them today (on the US side - Guest Relations) on an issue regarding booking thru (these) points versus paying cash for the room. I spoke with Kate - no luck so transferred to Arron - no luck again. I asked to speak with a Supervisor in Guest Relations only to have them disconnect my phone call - after being on the phone for 58 minutes.

In short here is the issue. I wanted to book a particular motel in Gettysburg Pa. I have been going to this motel in excess of 25 years. Of course, I wanted to book using my points but as it turned out the difference was $60.00 US lost out of my pocket PER DAY. To book paying cash was $104.00 but to use points was 16,000 per day, which costs $164.80 all of which I have already paid..hence the $60.00 PER DAY loss. They claim that the Hotel are responsible for charging the points..but as I tried telling them THEY, not the Motels, set the cost of buying the points. All I was asking was for a fair resolution. I am a senior on a fixed income and (for 2 day stay) I would lose $120.00 US which converts to $150.00 Cdn.

I purchased enough points 300,000 which only means that I now stand to loose a Hugh amount of money when I cash them in. I currently have no resolutions with Choice but still looking for some kind of compromise. The public need to be made aware that buying points from Choice Hotels is a scam - they and they alone are profiting at the expense of their customers. It would be much appreciated if someone could assist and advise me accordingly.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Ron! We're sad to hear about your dissatisfaction with this experience. Certainly, it's not the impression we'd like you to have about our Rewards Program. Kindly know Choice Hotels doesn't have control over the price required to purchase points. When our members buy points, these points come from points.com. To forward your comments to the appropriate department for review, plz send us a private message with your member #, full name, address, phone #, and email to follow up privately. -Ray

Original review: March 10, 2022

My whole experience felt shady. I made a reservation less than 24 hours ago. I called to request a change to a room of equal price. Even though they had plenty of rooms available they refused. I also could not understand her accent very well. I had to ask her to repeat things several times. Very frustrating! I also have an issue with them falsely advertising their prices. The website first showed one price then it went up when I started booking it. This isn't the first time I have had an issue with this company but it will be the last. I will not use them again.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention, Tina. We sincerely regret knowing that your expectations were not reached. Please send us a private message with more details, so we can help turn things around. We'll need you to include the hotel address, date of arrival, and confirmation number along with the name on the reservation. We will be waiting for your response. -Debbie.

Original review: March 8, 2022

In May 2019 I had paid more than $400 to buy a 48,000 points for a planned trip abroad beginning of 2020. Then COVID-19 hit and totally changed our travel plans. In February 2022, with all travelling restrictions still in place, Choice Hotels decided to steal my points (and the real money behind them) and zeroed my points. After several calls to Choice Privileged customer support representatives, they only say points expired because I did not use them in time. What was offered to me is that they can only restore my points in the system If I buy more points or complete at least one stay in Choice Hotels by end of March 2022. I've asked for official email or escalation - no response at all

What their advice was in essence for me: To give them another $200 for a stay/points that I don't need or want just to restore something that I already paid for. And this is on top of continuously increasing cost of stays booked with Reward Points meaning that my original $400 invested with the promise to be enough to stay 4 nights in selected Choice Hotels back in 2020, now in 2022 can give me just two nights max. What a scam and unethical treatment of a loyal customer especially in the time of global pandemic and business struggles everywhere. Looks like corporate objective "… to make some memories with Choice Hotels!" can have very negative and disappointing outcomes for their customers.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Milen! Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback with us. We entirely understand how important it is for you to recover your points, and we'd like to have the chance to review your account. When time allows, please send us a private message with your member number, phone number, email, mailing address, and full name. We sincerely hope to hear more from you. -Jendy

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I booked a room through Choice Hotels. They sent the booking that I requested to my email for 2 queen beds. Then a completely different booking to the hotel. The hotel did not have the room I booked... So I had to book at another hotel. I've been on the phone trying to get a refund for the past 2 days. About a dozen phone calls. Everyone was from another country with dogs barking and baby's crying in the background. Each one told me I had to call back another number which just put me back on with another customer service rep. A few of them told me a wasn't getting a refund.

I went over to the hotel and spoke to the general manager. We compared bookings and I was told I had to retrieve my funds from choice hotels and that it was clear that they were at fault. I've wasted hours on the phone. And my energy. I see many others have gone through the same issue. I hope these reviews get out there to the people... This company is more of a nuisance than being any help.

Choice Hotels response

Charlie, I'd feel as frustrated as you if that happened to me! It is disappointing to learn about this poor encounter regarding your reservation. We know billing issues are a pressing matter, so we are eager to step in and help. Please send us a private message including the hotel address, name on the reservation, date of arrival, and confirmation numbers. After this information is received, we can start investigating further. Hope to hear from you soon. -Zaira

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

The worst customer service ever! I just spent 250.00 for points that the website said would get me 7 days. Call to confirm reservation that was for one night! At a Econo Lodge that isn't worth 20 bucks a night. Customer service keeps giving me run around finally got a "supervisor" on the phone, she laughed because I was upset that was all the money I had. She refused to send me a email with the refund info and muted the phone for 20 min until I hung up. Called back to see if the refund went through they kept me on the phone for two more hours still haven't talked to anyone. Christmas is in a week my husband and I have nowhere to go for the week now because that was all of our money. She really laughed!!!

Choice Hotels response

Oh no, Joel! That sounds terrible. I fully understand your disappointment at the lack of customer service you received from our agents; certainly, we strive for your experience to be superior at your first point of contact. We would be more than happy to assist you with this matter. Can you please send us more details about your situation and included your confirmation number, date of arrival and the name on the reservation? As soon as we receive it, we'll follow up accordingly! -Grettel

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

We have stayed here before and it was not as bad. But this time oh my god. First of all the heater in the room didn't work, it kept clicking and never came on so it was chilly in the room. In the bathroom there were clusters of mold on the ceiling all over. I booked a king room with a couch and got a 2 queen suite and there was a reason for the king bed. Another couple said the reserved 2 queens and got a king, and on top of that I was charged more for my room. The couch in the suite was horrible and stained to the point we had to pull out some bedding and put it over it just to sit, and then when you sat you literally sat on the pull out couch, there was no padding at all, also the toilet ran all night, we wiggled the handle and it just kept going. I went down to talk to the front desk lady but I stood there for a bit and she was nowhere to be found. I sent in my thoughts and all I got was an excuse about covid.

When I see a lot of other business took advantage of this time to renovate and make repairs. Then she decided to give my 2000 points....for what???? You can not use that for anything and for the condition of the room I would have rather had my money back. We got up super early and left and did not look back. I will look for other hotels next time and if I have to pay more for quality then so be it. Pay more for cleanliness and comfort or pay less and be cold and afraid you are going to catch something!!!!

Choice Hotels response

It sounds like you have gone through an unpleasant experience, Jessica. We'd love to get more details of the story. Could you please send us a private message with your confirmation number, date of arrival, name on the reservation, and hotel's location? We'll be waiting for your reply! -Grettel

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Every so often Choice does a good job, but heaven help anyone needing customer service, and that includes the corporate offices, whose main function is to transfer you back to the offshore people that can rarely help you with anything. We are diamond members but are treated more like pebble status members. We wanted to extend a reservation but the website was charging more for a Monday stay than the Tu/W rates. Calling was useless, as all we could get were people saying that weren't authorized or customer relations supervisors that put you on permanent hold rather than actually try to help. Even though I told the corporate office to please let me speak to someone there rather than the useless customer service line, the woman did exactly what I asked her to please not do. Choice has potential to do a great job, and they sometimes do, but the frustrations have mounted to the point that we are going elsewhere from now on.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Benjamin! Thank you for contacting us. We're glad to know you are one of our Diamond members. Feedback like yours is appreciated, as it helps us to continue growing & improving our services to provide the best accommodation to our guests while making a reservation. Nevertheless, Choice Hotel is intended to keep valuable members satisfied, & we would like to look at your reservation. Can you please send us a DM with your conf #, arrival date, name on the reservation, & hotel's location? -Ray

Choice Hotels Company Information