Choice Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Twice now I have tried to participate in their "Buy 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion. Both times, I did something wrong. I chalked the first time up to me not paying attention. This last time I paid closer attention when I booked my 3-night stay at a Quality Inn in Mission Valley, CA (San Diego). When I checked out I was told I had not earned the free night I expected. So today I called Choice Hotels' Customer Service, thinking they would make good on what I thought was a mistake. Nope. The Customer Service rep basically told me that I hadn't read the terms correctly. Honestly, I don't recall seeing clear terms that needed to be followed. They had a very large image touting the "Buy 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion. So I asked to speak with a manager. I was told I could, BUT the manager would say the same thing (so basically, don't bother).

Since I have had this issue not once, but twice, it really feels like bait-and-switch. And it worked with me. I took the bait and spent $300 at their hotel. I'm not sure who else I can report that bait-and-switch to, but I'll keep looking because some organization needs to hold Choice Hotels accountable for such misleading images on their own website (that promise one thing and then deliver nothing). The single only reason I would ever stay at another Choice hotel is if it is about the only decent option for me. I will do all I can to find other options for all future hotel stays, unless Choice Hotels can, somehow, make good on what I still consider a mistake on their part.

The Choice Hotels points reward program has a "bait and switch" provision. The hotel is fine and the personnel is courteous. But the points rewards program is a scam. I tried to book a two day stay using my reward points. I clicked on the "24,000" point price. To my surprise the program kicked me out of "24,000" points and charged me 12,000 points plus $90 dollars "to buy additional points for my stay" using the credit card information stored in the system. I asked to be reimbursed and was told I will get back the 12,000 points and the points I "purchased" but not the $90 (By the way the price posted on the hotel website was $82). I tried to explain that I did not need to purchase points because I had more than enough in my account, but to no avail. This is a scam and Choice Hotels should be ashamed of it.

I booked a room using the 'Best Available' rate. I have done this for 20 years. When going through the 'book now' process nowhere did it say, 'This is a NON REFUNDABLE rate'. The cancellation policy was in fine print on the lower right. Since I have booked hundreds of rooms I did not review this cancellation policy. I NEVER book NON REFUNDABLE rates. It's not worth the saving of a few dollars. I am shocked that they are allowed to continue this practice. I have tried calling customer service. They called the hotel and they have refused to refund the charge. I think this is so deceptive. Other hotel chains it clearly states, 'This is a NON REFUNDABLE rate'. I think Choice has done this on purpose in order to deceive their guests. I will NEVER stay at another Choice Hotel again. Keeping my $87 is going to cost them thousands of dollars. Bad business practice and bad website.

PROBLEMS WITH RESERVATIONS: My wife and I take trips to the US several times a year. I myself travel several times a year to see relatives in other parts of Canada. We have always been pleased with the experience at Choice Hotels. We have always been pleased until we encountered a problem last night. We were going to book our room online at https://www.choicehotels.com. After entering the details – 1 room, two adults and the travel dates, we clicked on the “FIND HOTELS” button.

On the next page, we picked the Econolodge in Watertown, NY, where we have stayed a number of times and clicked on the “BOOK NOW” icon. In the “SELECT SPECIAL RATE” pull down menu, we picked Best Available rate. We then clicked on the “BOOK ROOM” icon for our selection: 1 room w/ 2 dbl beds SMOKING. Then, my wife reminded me that we had a CAA card and said maybe we should check the CAA/AAA price. So, In the “SELECT SPECIAL RATE” pull down menu, we then picked AAA/CAA PROGRAM RATE and clicked on the UPDATE icon.

We thought the UPDATE icon, when pressed, would simply update/refresh the page with the room rate info and that we could then click on the BOOK ROOM icon and make the final reservation for the room at that rate, In fact, from what I NOW gather, when the BOOK ROOM icon is pressed, a reservation is created. Going back and then selecting a different price from the pull down menu, clicking on the UPDATE icon, then the on BOOK ROOM icon, actually creates ANOTHER reservation.

On many online sites, there is much more detail on their UPDATE Buttons, such as Update Qty. or Update info. On the Choice website, there is NOT ENOUGH DETAIL as to the function of the UPDATE button. Because of that, we have ended up with TWO rooms when we needed ONLY one! We both do a lot of online shopping. We have never had this problem before. In our view, this poor design on your website is going to leave us on the hook for an additional $65.90 USD, as the reservations we made are NON REFUNDABLE!! We are both seniors and we do not have a lot of extra money.

I would ask that you take steps ASAP to make the necessary changes to the website so that other customers do not end up in the same boat as us. Note: BTW: The above is a letter sent to the Choice Hotels Webmaster so that others won't get screwed like we did. As for getting our money back? Not bloody likely! I called their Customer Service (?) line and was told - in so many words - nonrefundable reservations are exactly that... tough titty, Smitty! Ha Ha!

I went to log into my account for choice rewards and it said not a valid member. I made a new profile and reserved my room. I then get a message from my "other account I don't have". I called to combine both accounts and they can't? Rude people, hotels are not clean, rugs smell moldy. Myself and kids all had stuffy noses while in the hotel when we left we were fine. Something's not right. We stayed at 2 different hotels in different cities. I am definitely sticking with Wyndham rewards. I just thought I would try a different chain of hotels.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

I made a reservation online. When the confirmation came back it had the wrong dates. I called the hotel and they said they couldn't change the dates and I had to call the call center. The call center said they couldn't change the dates and I should speak to their customer relations. After being on hold for an hour I hung up. Everyone told me how they couldn't fix my problem but no one told me how they could fix my problem. Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Briefly, two examples. 1- lady at front fest uses my loyalty number and tells me my stat counts toward points. Later, I call in to use them and they said since they gave the room at a discounted rate (?) they could not give points. 2- I stay at a hotel three weeks and earn enough for one free night. I could go on and on. I will intentionally never use Choice ever again, even though they call me Platinum.

I spent 2 nights with my son there. On night one, I complained to the front desk that it smelled like someone was cooking meth a few rooms down from me. The clerk laughed and said "Only in the hotel business, huh?" The carpet was dirty, there were stains in the bathroom, the pool looked like a dirty hot tub and was only about 15x15' in size. The breakfast was an hour late and the clerk wasn't at the front desk when we tried to leave at 8 am. The clerk called me a liar when I called back about items we left in the room and of course the belongings we accidentally left behind were nowhere to be found. I travel regularly for business (150 nights a year) and this was my worst experience ever. I was a Diamond member with them but this was the last straw.

I book the room for a day of fun at Carowinds. We checked late on October 29. When we stepped off the elevator you could smell a strong musky smell. Our room was at the very end of the hallway in the corner. I open the door and it hit you in the face a very strong mold smell. It was late so switching rooms was out of the question. So we went to bed and with son having two nose bleeds. I looked around and took pictures. There was two places above door with dark mold and the door has mold on it. The light next to the door has mold on it as well. The bathroom had mold around tub and dark hair everywhere. The toilet wouldn't flush either. The covers had stains on them. For me to pay 120 a night for my stay that was ridiculous. I am very unhappy with my night stay. Also my son having nose bleeds from the mold should not have happened!!

I made 3 day reservation for points +$$. Called Choice before finalizing and asked if I need to cancel a day can I do it? "They" said ok before 6pm. Now receptionist at hotel (helpful for 40 minutes on phone for me with corporate) couldn't do at hotel. Corporate 3 times told us to call 888-770-6800... The same # we called to end up with them. Even supervisor told hotel employee she was being transferred. Even though she pointed that she was the supervisor, and why couldn't she as supervisor handle the call!! So no one would answer. So I suggest if you are stuck with Choice points to use... do 1 night at a time, 3 or 4 times etc. in more nights are planned but you could have to check out early as I did. I likely will go to other hotel chain (member at Choice since 2004).

Seeking refuge from the hurricane we checked into the Comfort Inn and Suites on 10/7/16 located on Al Henderson Blvd, in Savannah, GA. We were greeted with an ominous sign walking into the hotel explaining amongst other things that housekeeping and breakfast would be disbanded for the duration. The sign did clarify that basic food items would be available to guests.

Checking in the gentlemen behind the counter told us the following: 1) The hotel had a generator. 2) If power was lost, to stay in our rooms and a staff member would visit room and check in (until power was up and running). He also asked us to sign a waiver that said the hotel was not participating in price gouging. No choice was given in this matter if we wanted to stay. As he was defending the asking price I pointed out that many businesses were offering discounted and even free rooms to accommodate the evacuees. He told us the asking price of 150/night was a special price for the Hurricane. Having 0 options, we put several hundred dollars on our card. We thought at least we will be in a sturdy building with power and have access to basic food items.

So the Hurricane hits. Power goes out. No one checks on us. At first I thought it was because of the hour. Slowly I realized we were fending for ourselves. Eventually I had to leave the room. I went to the dark stairwell and was startled by 2 men hanging out in there. I went to other stairwell and made my way to lobby. I went to front desk and inquired when generator would be up and running. It was at this point I learned that the hotel did not have one. I asked about food and was given the same answer.

Day 2 was spent in a dark, hot room on the third floor. No food and no welfare checks. No working elevators, and since I have a disability this was a huge problem trying to navigate stairs. Ironically I noticed 5 generator rental trucks in parking lot. It appears that Choice Hotels acted in a deceptive manner to secure our business. They forced us to sign documents in exchange for shelter (of which we never received a copy). This strong-arm approach seems illegal. They made promises at check-in they had not planned on keeping. We are seeking a refund. I wrote to Choice Hotels and received this reply:

"After looking into the concerns you raised, I reached out to the hotel to get further details surrounding your experience. I was advised by the General Manager that due to the mandatory evacuation being issued on Wednesday, October 5, 2016 all guests were required to sign a waiver authorizing to stay at their own risk. The hotel did state that basic food items would possibly be available but this was not guaranteed. As it turns out the United States President and local news stations prepared residences and business owners of the approach and severity of Hurricane Matthew. With this in mind the hotel was limited on staff as some employees chose to evacuate as instructed by authorities. We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and hope that you can look past this experience and consider staying with Choice Hotels in the future."

This response does not address the issues and by its own admission was not fully operational. If they are standing by this, they had no business taking in guests. By making false claims at check-in they took away options for this of us in extraordinary circumstances. Our total bill came to 358.04, which seems even higher than the 150 quoted.

The deception has cost the corporation and therefore the franchises. We have always thought we had great experiences with our stays. The "stay 2 nights, get one free" is total baloney. I feel bad for the people at the front desks who have to promote it. The 800 and 888 numbers can't "hear" you and cut you off. The fact that there is 72 hour wait before your stay is posted makes you not eligible for 3 days, so traveling across the country wouldn't make a free stay eligible. AND the whole thing is based on points. Also, all your stays don't get posted unless you correct them. Stayed 4 times, have something like 2500 points, eligible for nothing. So, they have lost my business. Tonight I went across the street to a Drury Hotel. Cheaper and much better service.

Choice Hotels however is a complete disgrace. Was promised my 3rd night would be free per their promotion and their agent who made the 3rd night reservation. He stated I had to call back 72 hours after my 2nd stay to change my reservation from my credit card to points. He assured me there would be no issues with this, so I went ahead and changed my flight to stay an extra day. When I called they informed me their agent was wrong and I would have to pay the full sum. After hours of back and forth they agreed to go back to their recording of the call and if they determined their agent had in fact misinformed me that they would credit my credit card. After not hearing back for 10 days I followed up, and despite the fact they agree their agent misinformed me, they still refused to credit my account. They finally agreed to provide me with half of what I paid. Total disgrace for a national chain who can't stand by their workers.

I was told if I stayed at 2 different Quality Inn's on 2 different visits I would receive another day free on my next visit (Choice reward). After checking into 2 different Quality Inns I tried to find out more about the free one night stay. I was told I could use my first stay and I asked why not and they only mentioned it wasn't done by Quality Inn. I disagreed with this response and explained that "I did stay at your hotel and that I was there 4 nights." He said "That didn't matter" and I asked "Even if I have been a long and loyal customer?" He said "None of that mattered."

I asked for a manager to talk to and he gave me the customer service number 800-300-8800 ext 3. I called it 3 different times and each time I got a response "I can't answer that question. I have to transfer you over to customer service." Every time I got the transfer I got cut off... I would call back and ask for help again the same message and transferred and then cut off.

If this is how you treat loyal customers how do you expect to receive favorable reviews? I have used your hotels for over 20 years and enjoyed the cleanliness and good service but this response to my questions (being hung up on) is it truly loyal to your customers? I would really like to talk to somebody so I could understand what is going on and why no one wantt to hear what I have to say.

I'm a self employed artist poor enough to qualify for Obamacare. I can't afford to do too many out of state shows right now but I have one that I've been doing in Portland for the last several years. Last year I ended up staying at the Comfort Inn in downtown Portland at the convention center for an event I vend at because I'd forgotten to make my usual reservation at the nearby Motel 6 in time. I had been pleased with my accommodations at the time and decided to stay there again this year.

Full Disclosure: I made a mistake and booked the room twice. They tell me that I booked it 3 times but I only find 2 confirmations (April and June). They claim I also booked in November. The event is in September. Most motels don't let you book more than 6 months in advance in my experience. At any rate, the reason I accidentally booked twice is that I had originally booked it through Hotels dot com and forgot I had done that. That account has an older email address for me.

When I was checking to ensure I had a room reserved I was checking my more current email account and couldn't find a room confirmation so I made a new reservation in June. Since they were the same exact reservation, I didn't realize I had more than one when I was getting room reminders close to the event (I got 2 reminders, not 3 - just to be clear). I thought there was either a system glitch or that they were being really proactive. My name was the only name on the reservation.

When I got to the Quality Inn (at 4:30 pm) and checked in, no one asked if I was checking into all my rooms. No one said or indicated in any way that I had more than one reservation. I have asked around to families and friends I know who have made multiple room reservations on a regular basis when they are on family vacations. Everyone said they have ALWAYS been checked into all their rooms when they check in. I will grant there may be exceptions to this rule but that is the norm. This is a sticking point for me because of what happened next.

Since I'm vending at an event I'm up early and gone most of the day and I check out early on the 2nd day. One of the reasons I chose this motel is that I could opt to pay $5 to leave my car there on Sunday and pick it up after I'm done at the event - which saves me time, money and aggravation. I'm a self employed artist and money is a factor. Another reason I chose this motel is that it has a refrigerator and microwave. I bring food with me to events to save on restaurant costs. All extra expenses cut into any profits I make and I have bills to pay. As I was having my morning coffee I checked my email and found 2 notices that I had been charged a room not for being a "no show".

I immediately called the front desk and told them I didn't understand why I got these notices since I was checked in and had stayed the night. The person working the front desk looked into it and said it looked like I had multiple reservations. I couldn't believe it! I have NEVER done this before! I said that there must have been a mistake and that I certainly didn't intend to book two rooms. I wondered if I'd accidentally clicked something twice while booking the room online or what. They said they would have to have the manager look into it when they got in. I said that I was going to be working at the show so had to leave but was fine with hearing back later so long as it's being worked on. This was around 8 AM.

At 4 PM I had not heard back nor were there any missed calls or messages indicated on my phone so I called up the motel. I was told that the manager said there were 3 reservations in my name so that's why I was charged the no show fee. I said I don't know how that happened and that I would have cancelled them if I knew. They indicated the manager said the charges were going to stand. I got upset at this point and raised my voice and said I didn't accept that. They told me I'd have to talk to the manager as they have no authorization to do anything.

When I got off the phone I sent a reply on one of the "no show" invoices I received that there had been a mistake, no one had said anything about me having multiple reservations when I checked in and I didn't think it was fair I got charged a "no show" fee when I hadn't been told so that I could have cancelled. At that point I had to let it go and get on with working the show and hope I could sort it out that evening.

When I got back to the motel that evening I stopped into the front desk and apologized to the staff person there for getting agitated at them on the phone. They went and got a sealed envelope and said it was from the manager who had tried to call me (I checked and there were no missed calls or voicemail indicated on my phone nor a message left on the room phone). I got up to my room and opened it. It was from the Assistant Manager who said (in short) that I'd made three reservations (in Nov, Apr & June) and that since they had a 24 hour cancellation notice I wouldn't have been able to cancel when I checked in anyway. At that point I started Tweeting about my experience and got a reply from Choice Hotels inviting me to send the details to: chsm@ChoiceHotels.com. I did and then Tweeted back that an email had been sent (which they later liked).

Then next morning I had a reply from the "General Manager" (no name given) in response to my previous email that was very unsympathetic and kind of rude where I was told I was solely responsible for checking into all my rooms and that it was not their job to tell me I had more than one reservation. How I was supposed to do this when I was unaware of multiple bookings is beyond me. I sent another reply which I cc to the email address I was given in the Tweet asking that and pointed out that since my name was the only one on the reservations that I was the only one who could check in so, logically, they should have checked me into all of them when I arrived and that I felt not doing so was a dishonest way of doing business and ensuring I would get charged.

I also think it was a dumb move because they probably could have re-booked the rooms if they'd let me release them. I pointed out that had they sent a simple email or called to verify that I meant to make multiple reservations this whole issue could have been avoided and I would have been a very vocal loyal customer. I pointed out that while they may gain in the short term by insisting on charging me that I would hardly ever utilize their services before and I would not have anything good to say about them to anyone I knew - including the many other artists and vendors I work with at these shows. Apparently that's not important to them.

Friends and family who I talked to about this wanted me to contact my credit card company and wanted to make angry calls on my behalf but I said I wanted to give the corporate office time to respond and that I likely couldn't talk to either until Monday anyway. I don't have a laptop for travel, only my phone. I wanted to do a bit more research when I got home because I could not believe I'd made three reservations. I have searched both email addresses and only found the two.

This morning (9/12/16) I received another unsympathetic and unfriendly email from the General Manager saying they would not remove any of the charges. The only recourse I have left is to contact my credit card company to dispute at least one of the charges and may have to engage a lawyer. I get that they have policies to protect themselves. I'm not happy about extra charges but I could accept a reduced charge for the ONE other reservation I found a confirmation for. From reading other reviews here it looks doubtful I would have been able to cancel and get a refund regardless. At best they completely FAIL at customer service.

I recently stayed at the Choice Hotel in Newport News,Va. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with suggestions for things to do in the area as well as supplying me with toilet paper and towels when needed. We were left with a small amount of toilet paper and tissues when the room was cleaned. The towel issue was my fault. I forgot to leave the used towels on the floor so they would know I wanted clean towels. Still frustrating. My biggest complaint is with the woman who was working the dining area for breakfast. This hotel does not have a bar or restaurant, they do offer a free breakfast until 9:30 on weekdays. I showed up at 9:15 and while I was making breakfast the woman was cleaning up the utensils and the food that was left over while working around me. Between the woman taking everything that was left and some of the other guests loading up plates to take on the go I was livid and decided to leave.

I didn't expect much with the type of breakfast that they offered. It was more about the way the woman was rude about cleaning up everything 15 minutes early and while I was there apparently in her way. This was my first experience with this type of hotel and I was not to impressed. The heated pool was not heated but in a room that was 87 degrees. Be prepared for the key cards to not work. I had to get 3 in my 5 day stay. The hotel was clean and nice and the noise level was ok.

I was looking for a quick getaway with my family and searched the website for two specific categories, a pool and free breakfast. We didn't really care where we stayed as long as they had those two things. Well, Clarion hotel came up as an option for this. I should have done more research, but was so happy to see something not too pricey and with everything we needed. I booked it. One small popup came up that whole time telling me that you couldn't cancel because of how cheap it was. I thought against that, but there weren't any other options for a double room. Nothing else was showing up. So I selected that not thinking anything of it. I'm so excited about my find and tell my kids. They look into the hotel more, something I didn't think of doing in my excitement. Little did I know, the hotel pool IS OUTSIDE AND CLOSED.

I called the hotel within minutes of ordering hoping to cancel and find something else. Was told to call Choice Hotels. Called them and was on hold for over 20 minutes each time, and every time I went into my problem, they would tell me a different number to call. Meanwhile, I WAS CALLING THAT EXACT NUMBER. They kept saying call this, and I was trying to explain that I had called that. One finally said he would put me on hold with a supervisor. I was on hold for that for almost an hour when I finally had to hang up. I also emailed them, and when I told them my problem, they never replied! I don't understand why this has to be such a difficult thing. I understand that it's non refundable. But what about if I don't want to cancel but would rather just be at a hotel that has a pool! Needless to say, I wish I read more into this website before I did anything. We travel all the time, and this is the worst I've ever been treated.

I have a very bad experience when I called to make a reservation for a room at a Choice Hotel in south Carolina. I have a reservation at the Road Way hotel. After hanging up, I went online and check the reviews on this hotel, they were terrible. Right away I called Choice Hotels and told them to cancel my reservation I didn't want to stay in this hotel. They told me that I couldn't cancel and since they have taken my credit card information the room was already paid for. I ended up staying in a horrible hotel with roaches and dirty toilet. I will never use Choice Hotels again.

I reserved a Hotel for the Labor Day weekend and I used some of the points my husband has on his account (for whatever reason they don't enroll husbands and wives) and paid the balance with my Credit Card. Unfortunately something came up and we had to cancel our reservation, which I did in plenty of time, thinking they would put my points back on my account and credit the money back to my Credit Card which they did not. When the money did not show up on my credit card I called member services and they sent me around and around. Finally one woman said I had to talk to a different department and they would be able to authorize the money being put back on my credit card.

Let me just say that the young man whom I spoke with laughed at me when I requested a supervisor and put me through another system where I was on hold for 20 more minutes with no answer. So I hung up and called back and was put through a series of different people whom which none seemed to know what they were doing. Finally I get a supervisor who says, "You bought points." I explained, "No I did not, I used some of my points and paid the balance on my Credit Card. I did not select I want to buy points option."

According to her it does not matter if I did not select I want to buy points option. When you cancel they automatically put the money on your membership as you bought points and do not credit the credit card back. So essentially I have paid for a vacation that I canceled and that I am not going on because they converted the money into points that I did not ask for. So be very aware when you are using your account with Choice Hotels because they do not care about their members. They are more than happy to take your money for a reservation. However when you cancel it they are not willing to give your money back. It's a win win for them. Either way they get to keep your hard earned money and you wind up with points that you were not asking for. I spent all morning trying to resolve this problem. Hours I will not get back.

On 19 Aug 2016, my wife and I stopped at the COMFORT INN (CI), 1155 Fairville Blvd, SAINT JOHN, NB for an overnight stay. We arrived after 1800 and were told rooms were available. We noticed that there were a lot of dogs around the motel, and asked the Desk Clerk if the dogs were staying in the motel. She told me there was a Dog Show in Saint John. We were assigned Room 237 and moved all our overnight things to the room.

As soon as we Sat down, we heard dogs barking on our floor. While drinking water, I noticed a couple of red spots on my ankle that were itching, and then a spot further up my leg. About that time, my wife said there are fleas as she was unable to hit the flea that was biting her calf. At that point, we decided we weren’t going to stay in this motel if there were fleas in the rooms. My wife called the Front Desk and told the Clerk we were not staying in a motel due to fleas in our room and were leaving immediately.

My wife went to the front desk and received only a Refund Slip (see Attached) given to my wife prior to departing. The CI receipt shows refund “VOID PRE-AUTH” for CD$200.00. We understood the CN$200.00 was for the original cost of the room PLUS extra money for the inconvenience of having fleas and to find another lodging. As we had not stayed overnight, we did not get a bill with the original price, but suspect it was about CN$150.00 which we paid to a Travel Lodge where we ended up spending the night. When we asked if Travel Lodge had dogs living in rooms, they said they did, but only on the First and Second Floor. We were told we would be assigned a room on the Third Floor; we told them if there were fleas in our room, we would not be staying – we weren’t bitten.

Today is 30 Aug and all our credit charges made in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia have been posted on our credit card account with USAA; however, the refund authorized by CI has not been posted on our credit account. We suspect that when a “higher authority” than who did the “VOID PRE-AUTH”, voided the PRE-AUTH, and VOIDED the “original charge”. In other words, we never stayed there. This is wrong and we are not happy; we want the original CN$200.00 refund.

Our advice to travelers staying in motels/hotels that allow pets in the rooms, should be informed when checking in. If they get flea bites as in our case, there should be an “inconvenience refund” for moving out. There is no guarantee that rooms could be flea free immediately without smelling some flea removal spray, for any other room that would be offered as a precaution.

My dear friends from England are coming on Sept 27th for my husband's 60th birthday. I got them two rooms at my friend's house here in Reno to save them some money on a hotel. Well before I could tell them, they booked two rooms at the Quality Inn & Suites at 2050 Market Street, Reno, NV. They gave their credit card to get the Reservation. When I told them about staying with friends they called Booking.com to cancel the reservations and the quality INN and were told by both they were a special rate and could not get a refund. Well that was news to them, no one had mentioned anything about paying in advance for the whole stay and no cancellation policy? This is terrible business practice. It's over 30 days in advance, you can't tell me they won't rebook those rooms. I find it completely unfair to do this to them. And after looking at the website for Booking.com and the hotels there are many complaints saying the same thing.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO BOOK A HOTEL. I booked a room for 2 nights at the Clarion Inn, Egg Harbour, NJ for September 30 through Oct. 2 - I called today more than a month away to cancel my reservation and I was told I would not be able to cancel my reservation because I chose a nonrefundable rate. Now, I have pulled my receipt and there is NOTHING about a nonrefundable rate on my receipt. So as advised by the hotel I called Choice Hotels. They informed me the same thing, so they send me to Customer Relations where I was hung up on, so I called again and finally after 27 mins of holding I spoke with someone in Customer Relations where she informs me that the only person that can approve the refund is the Hotel Manager.

So I call the hotel manager who informs me I was told wrong and that I shouldn't waste my time calling customer relations back because I would not be getting my money back. I informed her that I would take receipt with me to the bank and I will do a debit card dispute and she tells me that she bets me a million dollars that I if dispute this through my bank I would certainly not be getting my money back. Never in my life have I spoke with such rude rude rude people. Such a shame!!! DO NOT GO THROUGH THEM. THEY ARE NASTY NASTY NASTY NASTY PEOPLE!

We checked in at 4.30 pm and were told some rooms were cleaned. After checking 4 rooms we finally found one that was somewhat clean! The rooms had stains on the floor, dirty sink, green something growing in the refrigerator to the point it made us sick and had to leave room. Sheets had stains, pillows had stains, toilet seat broken and rocked, toilet ran all the time. Loose faucet in shower. Dirty towels. requested new towels and still dirty. The place was empty but it looked terrible. Said they had fired some in housekeeping. Second night came back in and still no clean towels! Coffee pot was growing mold! No condiments.

People should be warned about staying here. At the very least, an apology. We pre-paid by mistake, thought we had pushed Senior and got pre-paid and they wouldn't do anything about it at all. Even when I called within 3 minutes of doing it. No receipt when we checked out. Said they couldn't print one. Was there 3 nights of hell!!! Dirty pillow cases and sheets were not replaced but turned inside out and put back on the beds. The soap, shampoo and conditioners were never replenished after the day you checked in, you had to go to the front desk to get any.

When I went to use the website for booking, although I searched for a refundable rate, it gave me a non-refundable rate, and I'm out $220 because I can't use the reservation. I called customer services multiple times to resolve this issue, and it seems that they blacklisted my number because although I called from my personal phone 10 minutes before I called on a separate line, the separate line was served while my personal phone number remained on hold for a long while after. I received the same line that despite there being a booking error, that there was nothing that they could do. I'm very disappointed with the service I've received, and will no longer be booking with any of the hotels that are part of the choice hotels group.

Moreover, on the phone, I was sent around to different numbers, and pushed off as someone else's problem so they wouldn't have to deal with my grievance. I spoke to some lovely people during my 3 hour period on the phone, but no one could do anything because of the rules in place by the company. I'm horribly disappointed, and strongly suggest against using this hotel group and website.

Hotel needed a lot of maintenance and housekeeping. All the windows in lobby have not been cleaned in years. Read a review about hallways not being vacuumed and they still were not vacuumed. Ice machines did not work. Shower curtain almost falling down. Sink faucets were old and corroded. Will not recommend this hotel to anyone. Even the knives for breakfast were cheap where it was hard to cut your waffle and I was afraid to eat the bacon. We stayed there on August 16, 2016.

I traveled to the Sleep Inn a Choice hotel in Marshall, MN for my aunt's funeral. I booked my room through my Sam's Club Travel and my credit card was billed immediately as I expected. When I arrived at the hotel I was required to give them a copy of my card for incidentals. Again not unexpected. On day of checkout I received a bill under my door with a 0.00 charge and all was well or so I thought until I got my credit card statement and the hotel had charged my card an additional $114.00.

I tried to contact them. I couldn't get through so opted to use email. I also contacted Sam's and they also researched it immediately. They responded within days stating that they had been informed that Sleep Inn was unable to refund the incorrect payment and therefore because Sam's wanted me to be completely happy with my service with them refunded the charges that they created on my card. They did their job as I requested and they have to make the refund!

A month later I get a response from Sleep Inn stating they would refund the $1.50 for a safe rental fee which I didn't use either. When I questioned it yet again I received a response from the general manager of Sleep Inn being told that they knew that Sam's refunded their charges and it just made me even more angry. I was not trying to cheat anyone. I would have gladly repaid the higher amount to Sam's for their great customer service vs the lower amount for cheating and bad billing practices. Don't stay with Choice hotel chains. Their practices are cheating and unethical.

I booked a hotel room for Sleep Inn in Amarillo, TX on the Choice Hotels website. I checked that I wanted ONE room. I went through the reservation process. The website showed that I only had one room. When my husband looked at our credit card statement he noticed a second charge from the hotel. When we pulled up our reservation it showed that we had two rooms.

I tried to call the hotel, they said that I had to call customer service. My husband called Choice Hotels customer service. He was hung up on once, and transferred several times before he got a manager that advised him because we got a hotel room at a discounted rate that they would not refund our money for the 2nd room. He tried to explain to them that we only booked 1 room and that we didn't book the 2nd room. The manager didn't want to listen to this and said that there was nothing he could or would do for us. This is the worse experience I have ever had with a major hotel chain. You would think that they would want to help out instead of stealing money. I will NEVER use choice hotels again and I recommend that others be wary of using them as well.

Guest relations and Choice Executives feedback need not even exist. Do not make reservations with this hotel chain if there is any chance you will need to change or modify the reservation. Made reservations at Choice hotel in Coney Island Brooklyn NY on Emmons Ave for a date in August. Somehow the computer diverted the day of stay back to the date I booked. I know that the August date was input as I was making reservations for a week later and made 7 different reservations. I was extra careful to assure I got the right dates because it was for my daughter and grand-daughter and did not want to let them go by their selves to NYC without all reservations being in order.

Needless to say it took forever on the phone to get someone to help from the GR desk. When they did respond it was a result of me posting it on their site. The lady said she understood my situation and said "I will take care of it" and never called back. Then sent message to Choice executives and got a response that was quick and dirty. Told me that it was my issue, that when I hit confirm it was a done deal. No other explanations. The local people at the hotel were rude and could not even understand my issue, Choice will not go out of business because they lost me as a customer but I will make my efforts to assure those I care about avoid these hotels.

I have tried for three days but my now it is actually five. I gave up after 13 calls to Choice Rewards all departments to get my ip removed from a blocked listed for too many attempts to change password. They don't know how to do it but they do know how to take points and cash without refunding when you are simply booking a hotel for one price and the points go up and the price goes up while booking it. I have had no problems of them in years until the past two weeks. It's been a nightmare. Had to stay a different hotel chain for a funeral today due to Choice not fixing my lockout problem. I cannot get anyone to refund anything because they said I'm blocked and cannot handle it till the block is removed the next day, then the next day, then the next day... and on today still blocked. So frustrated.

Made a reservation on ChoiceHotels.com. I needed to cancel it 3 days in advance. Told it was impossible. I travel for a living. This has never ever in over 6 years happened to me. Every single other hotel can cancel. Every single one. Not Choice. Not to mention 2 of the agents were horrible. I will never stay at a Choice Hotel again. I will stay at a Motel 6 before giving them my money. I spent over 60 minutes on the phone. 38 of it was waiting. Shows how many issues they have with all the callers calling. DO NOT STAY AT CHOICE!

Choice Hotels Company Profile