1.74/5
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Choice Hotels

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

384 Choice Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Thanksgiving weekend we stayed at Quality Inn on Palm Bay Rd, in Melbourne Florida. We paid approximately $130.00 a night, I tried to book there again for the weekend of March 2, 2018 and was told the price is with a senior discount $227.00. This is outrageous, how does a price increase $100.00 in less than 3 months. We are Choice Rewards member and we didn't have enough points to use for a free night. They told us it is now 30,000 points per night. Amazing, in November it was 10,000 points.

It amazes me that on one of the busiest weekend of the year the price was lower. When I called to make the reservation the agent who tried to help was no help. When we travel we always stay at Choice hotels, guess that won't be happening any longer, I can get better deals with hotels.com. We have several trips planned for this summer so I will stay wherever I get the best price. Your advertising is so out of context, the lowest price is a joke. Botta Bing Botta Boom, What a joke. We did book a hotel for that weekend in March for 2 nights at half the cost of yours. Thank you very much for nothing.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Recently stayed at Mainstay Suites 640 Federal Blvd. in Denver for three nights. Extremely helpful and friendly desk staff. One of most pleasant experiences at a hotel. I have been staying in hotels for over 50 years and very seldom rate or review. Francesca and Jess at front desk made stay wonderful. Very nice hotel, clean comfortable, and amenities were first rate. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I made a reservation for 3 rooms for work travel, and had to call to cancel them when our plans changed a couple hours later. I called the hotel and explained the situation, and was assured that all charges were cancelled. Later on I discovered only 1 room had been cancelled, and I was charged as a no show for the other 2 rooms. I called the hotel (Quality Inn Pleasant View, TN) multiple times over the next 4 months, and was never able to speak to the manager. I was told the manager was not in and would call me back each time, which never happened.

I also called Choice Hotels customer service multiple times, who refused to help, left numerous messages for the hotel manager as well, and would not give me an email or recorded transcript of our conversations, or any other way for me to document my numerous attempts to resolve the situation. This is completely unacceptable behavior, and my organization will never use any Choice Hotel chain again. I plan to file a claim with my credit card company and take every recourse possible to hold this company responsible for their erroneous charges.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I stayed for five nights at a Choice Hotel in December that I booked myself through their website. The points for these stays were not reported, and I submitted an online form for missing points. When I looked at my account the following month the points were still not reported. So I took great pains to find a phone number and was connected to a customer representative who not only was giving me the third degree but whose English was close to impossible to understand. It was a frustrating call that did not resolve the matter. I can only conclude that their rewards program is a bait and switch, designed to get people to stay at their substandard hotels but who promise they do not intend to deliver upon.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I travel a lot. I've stayed in at least 100 Choice Hotels a year. I've seen it all, been in all of them. I am a diamond member as well. Corporate needs to seriously look at their properties, they're terrible. Hotels falling apart. They don't fix anything. Their staff are overworked and underpaid. One lady told me that nobody in the hotel made over $9.00 an hour. The breakfast you get is unfit for a dog. They need to raise the standards of these places, nobody is held accountable. The showers I complain all the time, don't have any pressure. You don't feel clean. They recently changed their bars of soap to a new kind. Used to have the green one, was real good. Now they got a white one that makes you feel slick. Almost like you're trying to wash suntan lotion off, and without any decent pressure you can't get the crap off of you, (probably because it's cheaper), but it just sucks!!!

On top of all of that, last night the lady gave me my room, when I opened the door, somebody was already in there!!! We both had the same number on our door keys!!! That's never happened before until last night! All I can say is this place needs some love! Why doesn't anybody do anything about it! Their customer service is in crappy El Salvador for God sakes, and they'll keep you on hold forever!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I am appalled that I cant cancel a reservation with 24 hours notice. There is nothing on my confirmation notice that states 48 hour notice, you cant find it on the website (if it is there it isn't part of an FAQ or readily available). When I called the hotel, they won't cancel and when you call direct (which is where I placed my reservation) they won't cancel it either. It is the height of flu season and people get sick. 24 hours is more than enough notice. I will dispute the charge on my card bill.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

A total let down. It was a waste of time, and bigger waste of money! The jacuzzi had big pieces of black material floating in it. I myself drained the tub and cleaned it out. I refilled it and tried again. The same thing happened. I notified the front desk, and I was told he would have to call the manager. I waited about a hour and I didn't hear anything back. So, I walked to the front desk where I found the front desk clerk asleep. I never once heard from management.

So at checkout, after NO response from hotel mgmt, I told the agent about our situation. He blamed it on Jackson (ms) water in general. He apparently didn’t realize we lived in Jackson area. It’s NOT the reason. He offered nothing to compensate for what happened. I had to ask what they were going to do. He asked what WE expected him to do. He ended up discounting our rate 15%. That was IT. He showed no concern. This was a very special anniversary evening we had planned. The jacuzzi was the highlight, or was suppose to be. Will not recommend it to anyone, and it’s a shame because it’s a nice hotel otherwise.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Absolutely no customer service. The person I had to talk to about my bill was never available. Double charging, desk staff (usually there was nobody at the desk) couldn't answer any questions. Double charged.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I went to Portland, ME on Dec. 13th or 14th should I say as it was 12:30 am. My thoughts were that I was booking for the 14th due it being after midnight. I was in trouble at the airport with a no cancel or refund booking. Both the Clarion Hotel in Portland and Priceline agreed to change the reservation for me and I was so happy and relieved. THANK YOU!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have stayed at numerous hotels & Comfort Inn by Choice Hotels has always been a favorite. I stayed four days & checked out just to change from personal pay to my business paying. The next day I waited my reservation & was asked to leave the lobby & property because I didn't yet HAVE a room again. The next morning I parked at 8am to pickup my coworker who was staying there also, I was in my car on the phone in a parking space & the same woman came all the way down to the back & told me to leave AGAIN! I wasn't trespassing, I wasn't damaging anything, wasn't drunk or disorderly, not a thing I'd done wrong.

Then the next night I was told privately that I couldn't be on or near the property without having a room. But at this point I refused to reserve with them ever again. My coworker checked out and moved next door to best Western. It was a horrible and embarrassing experience. We called the manager who is never there, KEN, he's never called back. Choice hotels customer relations was called 7 times and nothing has or was done. Not a thing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Yes I got a cheap rate at the hotel I booked ($35 with taxes and fees), but the room is not fit for a dog, let alone a human being. There's a huge gap at the bottom of the front door and gaps around one side. As soon as I walked into the room I smelled a disgusting cinnamon smell used to try to hide the musty odor in the room. The carpeting is disgusting and you can't walk on it without shoes on. There are tiny sugar ants around the sink. The people at the front desk also lied to me about there not being a noisy boiler in the room next to mine that woke me up early the first morning I was here. They acted like they had no idea where the noise was coming from.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Choice Hotels Jacksonville, NC - It was great. The outside patio was absolutely amazing. The rooms were just like a little apartment and I would have loved to have lived there as it was equipped with all that you would need...

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Love the easy access and location in Grand Junction, Colorado. They are pet-friendly and the staff is so friendly, even laughed when our puppy escaped to the lobby by himself. Free breakfast is not the best, but it is filling.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The hotel was located in Savannah, Tennessee and like most of the Choice Hotels I use now instead of the Hilton brand - a decent bed, shower, and reasonable price (under $80.00). You never know what you are going to get and the areas are not in the best locations as far as safety and crime, but I just want a reasonable priced hotel that has a decent bed and shower because I will not usually be there but one night. I used to stay at Hampton Inn but they are just not competitive in price anymore - 30%-50% higher in cost.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

This hotel in Rhode Island (I can't remember the name but it was a Choice Hotel) was great for what we needed. The room was on the smaller side but other than that they had a very nice breakfast and very nice helpful people at the front desk. We had a great time and the hotel was nice!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I was advised one thing over the phone and after checking in it changed. I was not allowed to use the handicap parking even with the credentials. I was inconvenienced because of lack of communication among the staff and management. The staff did not try to make any accommodations for their mishap. No care or concern was shown.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Clerks are very helpful, cordial, friendly, and courteous. The facility was updated in 2016 and its food service area was enlarged. There still needs to be upgrades, fixes on floors. The basic breakfast is heavy on carbs, lacks sugar-free for diabetics, and fruit is too small and overripe.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Very Friendly Management and Staff at the Kissimmee, FL location. They are very accommodating and a pleasure to work with. They go out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable, yearly reunion held here. Have honored reunion pricing, for years, great value for clean & comfortable rooms, excellent management, and attentive and dedicated staff. Always ready to be of service.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Choice Hotels are located nationwide and the check-in always is efficient and friendly. The rooms have always been, while not luxurious, certainly conducive to a good night's sleep. Sound insulation is generally good, and there's plenty of hot water for a long shower. I have stayed in many Choice Hotels properties over the past 50 years, and when I'm making reservations, they are always my First Choice.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

The Choice Hotel in New York City, Wall Street, USA has good value. In general I find Crown and Choice Hotels packages and discounts can help reduce rates, and that is an advantage, especially with "family" rate... But often location not first rate, but ok.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

The Quality Inn in Vernon, Indiana, PA was VERY comfortable and friendly. Will stay again at this location, else no due to Choice not fulfilling their stay benefit offers.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Wow.. Where do I start. I was blown away by my experience. I should have got my money back, but I was far from home and wasn't familiar with the area. The room was a smoker room. I requested nonsmoking. The carpet was dirty and the room had an horrible smell. The room was old and outdated. Then to top things off I saw a couple of roaches. I paid to stay two nights. I complaint to front desk. There was a shortage of rooms.

The next day I tried to shower, The room ran out of hot water, I was flabbergasted. I called front desk again, the gentleman said he had to reset hot water, which took a few hours to reset. I was very disappointed. The room didn't look like the picture posted on website. Then the so called breakfast they give you is terrible. This is the worst hotel (EconoLodge) I ever stayed in. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I was so uncomfortable. I just left the next day. I couldn't bear the site or continue to sleep in this dump. The health department needs to go and shut this place down.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I visited Denver on 11/01/2017 thru the 11/05/2017. I reserved rooms at the Quality Inn near Denver airport. I had issues with my card, but was able to receive money out of the ATM. I paid cash for the room. On November 4th I received an email that a charge was placed on my card for the stay that I didn't authorize and it was a card that was previously on file from my last stay. I realized the receptionist didn't charge me for one of the nights in which, I had employees discount rate. Therefore, it was okay.

Later that night, I checked my bank account and noticed that I was charged on another charge for a 109.54 in which I previously paid cash for the room. The receptionist I was charged that rate for November 4th because I hadn't checked out. I showed her my previous reservation which stated I booked the rooms for those dates. She said, "I believe you but the manager is not here to authorize your money back." Mind you, my flight leaves on the 5th and she said the general manager won't return until Monday. So I asked to speak to a manager, she stated the manager won't be in until 11:30 pm. I never knew an organization did not provide a manager on duty at all times. This experience has led me to not to stay in another Choice Hotel. I guess it's call Choice because they have a choice to charge any card you have ever used with them.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We have gotten to our room and to my dismay it was not even cleaned and the toilets were dirty and not done. Also, the biggest problem was to find small blonde hairs in between the sheets. We have never really had issues to this magnitude here before and my wife and I are a little upset at this point. We have always stayed for our church convention and have always had a dirty room issue. Also, there is no housekeeping in the hotel at this time. This is totally not the service that I envisioned when we booked again. I would like to be compensated for this room and the price taken off of my bill. Our room was never cleaned upon our arrival and I was told by the GM Sharonda **, that housekeeping MISSED our room totally so you all charge me off the BAT $800 for an UNCLEAN room!!! This was Day One!!!

This is Day Two - At this point, I and my wife are past irate. We have come back to the room from a long all day church trip to find our room NOT CLEAN at all! The bathrooms were not cleaned, the trash from last night is not emptied and the towels are all over the bathroom floor. Room service knocked on the door this morning and we were still here and they never came back to clean this room nor my Pastor’s room. This is past ridiculous at this point and I need for this stay to be compensated and points for my continued inconvenience as well! Your urgent response is well appreciated. This is NOT the standard at which I have known Choice Hotels to be or the standard at which service is metered. I need some immediate attention to this matter because I refuse to continue to have or even think about paying for less than subpar service!!!

Ok now I have tried to give your hotel another chance and book a room this past weekend for 2 nights, October 26 & 27, 2017. I got to your hotel at 3:30 am to go to a funeral and to be there for the family of the before mentioned funeral ceremony. I again got to a room in YOUR HOTEL, and to my utmost surprise, I pulled the covers back to find hairs and stains in my bed for the second time in a stay at YOUR HOTEL within the past 2 WEEKS. This is totally unacceptable and to this, the HOUSEKEEPING should be reassigned, realigned or just bluntly putting it DISMISSED.

I have never in my 50 years of living, have I encountered the issues of cleanliness at an establishment such as yours {Florence, SC} and the continued dismissal attitude of not really taking care of this continued issue. I have and will take my displeasure and comments and concerns to the highest levels of your organization. I will continue to sound off on this issues until I see changes, upgrades and a moral commitment to getting things done better with such a once great hotel brand and organization. I do need someone to immediately respond with some attention to this matter whether with a spoken call, email or something!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

As an airline pilot I can quickly see why this company has hundreds of bad experiences with an overall rating of 1 star. They are terrible to work with. I booked a hunting trip and pushed button, not realizing since it was so for tomorrow and site had rolled me to next month tomorrow. Called them immediately and asked them to change it or credit me amount for new reservation. No luck... they are not willing to work with you at all. Stay away from this outfit.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My husband and I traveled to Hazard Kentucky to see our daughter, a traveling nurse living temporarily in the area. We looked at several hotels in the area and chose this one through Travelocity. We have a truck, and brought an ATV with us. There was NO outside lighting. There were large dusk to dawn lights in the parking lot but none ever came on. I asked at the front desk and was told the lights are on timers and would turn on soon, this was 930 pm. After three days there were no lights. The lamps inside the room were unplugged and we were unable to use them, since receptacle was behind the bed. The hotel lobby had no lights on. Only a small light behind the desk area. I appreciate saving energy but not at the risk of my safety. Don’t stay here.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

They require a 24 hour notice, only certain website prices are valid for this program. They have long hold times and foreign agents that are hard to understand. The other program, stay 2 nights get one free, also requires a 72 hour wait after the second stay to use. Lots of small print with this company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Well let's see here. I never check in. I called and canceled my reservation for 10/13/17. They said ok with the cancel anytime. Well we got charged for it anyway. Called them up on my wedding day and they told us we had to call customer care so we said ok. Well just so everyone knows they are not open on weekends so we said we'll just call Monday. No biggy. Well Sunday came around and they charged us for Saturday. Well I double checked my confirmation email to make sure it was a one day stay. Yes it was so called them up asking for a manager. This time got one at 45 min.

He then said it was a prepaid room. I said, "What?" I had no knowledge of this so I said well fine but it was a one day stay. He said, "No, 2 days." I said my email says one. He told me all I can do is call customer care. I told him, "you give me a refund or I will sue for fraud cause I had not consent to the second day." Well here it is the 10/16/17 called up care number they gave me and they said no refund. Ok so I did inform them I will be contacting a lawyer just so I can get my money back and then some and the expense of the lawyer cause it's not right being charged for something I never received and even cancelled it so as of right now I will never ever recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I stayed at a Choice Hotel - Quality Inn in Deep Creek. I wanted to call Customer relations about how that hotel needs desperate help in general upkeep. The hotel was in total disrepair. If I were Corporate, I would be embarrassed by the reviews and the way the place is being run. I called Choice Relations and was on hold for over 45 minutes. What we were charged for this hotel was what we should have paid for a decent looking Choice Hotel, not what we stayed in.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been a member for 2 years. In the beginning it wasn't bad. Good prices and not bad stays. The more you spend and stay the more you see their hotels have mold and breakfast that has mold on it. Smoking in no Smoking rooms is at every hotel and nasty when telling them of the mold and how your kids have bad asthma and there are guest smoking in non smoking rooms that are coming into your room. The staff no matter what Choice hotel does not care. They have a Choice rewards that is a joke. The more you stay the more get screwed. The most nasty worst hotel company! How they pass an inspection is beyond me cause more than one hotel had mold.

When calling Choice to inform them of the issues they in so many words say sorry nothing they can do. Insane how in America now you spend money and have people from other countries treat you like crap and scam you. I will only stay at Marriott. They maybe a little more for the stay but it is clean and they treat their customers with respect. Marriott doesn't have mold and smoke coming in their hotels where it's putting customers health in danger. Why have customer complaints websites and phone lines for all ways of informing companies of the issue if they do nothing about the problems and these companies taking customers money having a unsafe hotel and getting away with the nasty disturbing unhealthy surroundings. This would be why people just America and think it is a joke!

Choice Hotels Company Information

www.choicehotels.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use