1.74/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

398 Choice Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I booked rooms at two different Comfort Inns for two different stays (one after the other). Due to car problems, I had to cancel both and re-book at the second location for several days later. I cancelled well before the deadlines, and all of this was done directly through their corporate online reservations system. It turns out that while on my computer screen it said that I cancelled, neither cancellation was recorded in their system, and I was charged a no show fee by both hotels. Fortunately I printed both cancellations to PDF files.

First time I called their main number, but was told that I had to call customer service, which was closed. When I called customer service, the representative spoke poor English and didn't seem to understand my problem. His supervisor spoke English well and understood the problem, but she couldn't help. I had to send an email with my proof of cancellation, and was told it would take up to 10 business days to get an answer. I finally got an answer after 19 days (13 business days) and a second follow-up email. Their answer was that they couldn't do anything for me - despite me providing proof, and the fact that these transactions have to be available to IT even if they didn't fully process.

I contacted my credit card companies (each cancelled reservation was on a different card) and filed disputes. I was so mad that I emailed the Choice Hotels CEO, Patrick Pacious, directly. I received a reply from his executive assistant the next day. Her title is "Executive Assistant to Pat Pacious, Reputation Management". Interesting how their reputation must be so bad that they need a special person to help with that. It says a lot that his assistant's real job is managing their reputation as opposed to helping their customers.

They couldn't issue credit card refunds because the hotels are independent of corporate headquarters, but they offered to issue me a check for a full refund of the $173.01 billed in no show fees. I asked for 4 free nights as compensation for all of my trouble and aggravation, which was ignored. While I didn't necessarily expect to get what I asked for, you would think that in light of the situation they would want to make some gesture of goodwill, but they offered absolutely nothing other than refunding the money they tried to cheat me out of. I sent them my address for payment.

I didn't notice it at the time, but one line in the letter said "Please keep in mind, checks are issued from our corporate headquarters in Rockville, MD and can take 4-6 weeks for delivery." I realized this the next day upon receiving a follow up email from another representative that reiterated the 4-6 week time frame. This company appears to be incompetently managed from top to bottom, and it is no surprise that their CEO also previously ran their IT department. A reputable company would put a check in the mail within a day or two and I would get it in the mail within a week, especially when it was a total screw-up on their part.

While I notified the credit card companies of the situation, I also informed them that I want to keep my disputes open until I actually get the money. I don't trust this company one bit. I'm going to wait a week after depositing the check to make sure it clears. I'm going to further complain and demand cash payment for the value of the points I earned during my re-booked stay. The points are worthless to me because I will never stay at any of their hotels ever again, and I don't have nearly enough for a free room.

I was actually satisfied with my hotel stay. I don't want to mention the location because none of my problems are the fault of the hotel. It was further from the downtown area of the city than I was led to believe, but I got a good price for a decent room. Nothing fancy, but nothing to complain about either, and the staff were professional and courteous. Their properties are all 100% smoke-free, which was a big factor for me in choosing Choice Hotels, and I didn't smell smoke anywhere or find degenerate smokers huddled right outside the entrance door, which is common where I live in the NYC area. So I am really disappointed that Choice Hotels is no longer an option for me.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Last year on a business trip in Vegas I needed to stay at the client designated property, Tropicanna. Being an IHG Plat Elite, I wasn't familiar with the property's website or booking direct with them, so thanks to Google I was funneled to Choice Hotels - Huge Mistake! When I arrived I learned that my room was already booked by the client, so I contacted Choice, spoke with an uninterested CSR and explained the situation. TS, they would not cancel the room and the room was $20 more than what I could have received at the front desk. $179 pissed out the window for their crappy and expensive experience.

Having been with IHG for many years, staying at their properties all over the world, I've never been treated as poorly as I was by Choice Hotels. In fact, IHG makes changes near Effortless and Simple, too bad Choice Hotels, which lives through a continuous battery of catchy false advertising is such an industry slouch, badda book badda boom! You can't beat IHG or the free breakfast at HIE. :)

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We stayed at a Choice Hotel in Frederick, MD (Sleep Inn). The hotel charged us for damages to the room without notifying us. Yet they never stepped foot in the room during the stay. And we didn't do any damage. For over a week I tried contacting the hotel (phone calls, email, and visits) each time being told they couldn't help us and there wasn't a manager there or getting a voice mailbox that was full. We got no response to emails. I finally contacted Choice Hotels themselves. I was told to wait 72 hours to allow the hotel to respond and if it wasn't resolved to call them back and they would take care of it.

I gave them 4 full days before contacting them again. I was then told that they couldn't do anything! That the hotel is independently owned! When I argued that they were still a part of their hotel chain, I was told they still couldn't do anything. So, don't think you have them backing you. They are allowing these hotels to do what they want! Worse hotel experience I've ever had!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Choice Hotels for years and have even been a Diamond level member. I have stayed countless times (months and months) over the years with Choice Hotels. I recently started purchasing points at a discount (i.e. 30,000 points for 238.00 instead of 299.00). I wanted to use points on a stay this coming weekend at the Sleep Inn in Franklin, TN. When I checked the rates on the Choice Hotel site, the rate was 114.99/ night. Having over 29k in points, I went to use the points for a free nights stay. Choice wanted 30,000 points for a 114.99 room. That makes me paying 238.00 for the room in points.

I called customer service and complained. They were very nice and sympathized with me. I asked for a supervisor, and got the same polite response. Upon grilling her, she finally admitted that it was the individual inn that set the points. I will address the manager upon check in about this. Folks... you're getting screwed and not even kissed. So long Choice Hotels. I am keeping my reservation in London in July, but that's it. Screw your points.

Original review: April 13, 2018

A big runaround on using points on account. Wait so many days and then most of all points taken away over and over again. A big joke for a rewards. All other chain hotel rewards are way better. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: April 6, 2018

Worst customer service ever. The hotel went bankrupt and Choice Hotels does not answer their customer service phone, or respond accurately to emails. After 7 calls and being hung-up on instantly, I talked to a human and she hung up on me. I would give them NO STARS if possible.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Econo-Lodge in Beckley, WV was such a fabulous hotel. They make you feel like you are staying with a friend. Safe and you can bring your beloved pets. Nice grounds to walk the dog and conveniently located near great restaurants too. Top notch!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Slept in room 200 bar on 3/17/18. I rented the room for five people. My son & step-daughter & my two grandkids. The bed I had was the couch bed & it was awful. Someone should check this couch bed, it is sleeping on springs. Awful. I had to use couch cushions to try to sleep. I don't mind paying for good quality but this was far from good. Wish someone would get back to me, regarding this problem. Thanks.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I had a number of stays that involved me extending the visit beyond the date I originally booked. Each involved a weekend but since their system is apparently not set up to automatically credit me for this, I had to contact Customer Service. After multiple attempts, I finally spoke to someone in the correct "department", but they could not access my stays from their computer. I was asked to locate the confirmation numbers and call them back. Whose computer system doesn't permit access by customer service personnel to their own members' accounts? I was told when I contacted them about extending my stays and they indicated that their system would automatically credit me properly. That clearly did not happen. Customer service inadequate and not worth the time I have spent attempting to resolve this issue. Cancelled my account and will find another program to join.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Quality Inn and Suites Eau Claire WI NOT PET FRIENDLY - We have stayed here in the past and had no problems and always walked away happy. They have changed a lot since our last stay in January. The major reason we stay here is they are pet friendly ($15 fee) and have a nice pool and hot tub. They have changed their pet policy in the last month and your pet must go with you at all times and can not be left in the room alone. So, if you are going to a hockey game... your pet is left staying in the car. If you are going sightseeing, your pet must stay somewhere else. We were going to a very important awards ceremony the day we arrived and were told this. Lucky it was just a nice day... not too cold and not too hot so we let our Yorkie stay in our truck.

When questioned about why they changed the pet policy she said "we have had too many dogs left unattended for hours at a time and they bark and scratch at the door and do damage to the carpet." I explained that our dog is 12 years old and Kennel trained. She said it didn't matter. The dog had to go with us. Another problem we encountered was that the maids that clean the rooms bring their children to work with them. They feed them breakfast off of the guest breakfast buffet. We are talking plates of bacon!! No bacon was left on the buffet but their 2 kids were eating it in the hallway on a makeshift bed they had for the kids. We will not return. For 15 dollars more a night we can stay at the Stay bridge where our pets are welcome and also have a full kitchen.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I reserved a Suburban Hotel through Choice Hotels and canceled the reservations via website. I received a cancellation email, however, I was still charged $152 by the hotel as a no show. Everyone is giving me the runaround because there's no cancellation number in the cancellation email I forwarded everyone. I will not be using neither services again and I am filing a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I was an elite member of their loyalty program who had not stayed with them for a period of about one year. I had 20,000 points that I was planning to use for a free stay. I made my reservation many months ago and was told that their complicated "rewards booking windows" meant that I had to make a normal reservation but then switch it over to a rewards stay closer to my actual planned stay. I followed their instructions to the letter, but when I went to use my points I discovered that they had not told me that my points were set to expire before their suggested date to use them! I contacted their customer service, rewards program, and even the Company CEO (Patrick Pacious) and was treated indifferently. They refused to take responsibility for their mistake or offer to make amends. I will take my business elsewhere! This company obviously does not care about their clients!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I’ve been a customer of this group since 2008 and have accumulated a good amount of points over the years. Yesterday I made a call in order to book a room, but after 10min on the phone and multiple attempts of the employee to confirm the booking, I was told that there is a system error and that I’d be called back with the confirmation number. This never happened. I called back a few hours later and re-booked the room and was told they’d send me an email confirmation. This never happened.

I downloaded their app, in order to view my booking, but had forgotten my account password so I had to call to reinstate my account and create a new password. This was handled well, but now my account states that I have 0 points and no bookings. Frustrating! Not a fan of Choice Hotel’s booking service and online system! I think that I will avoid staying at their hotels in the future, I've had fantastic experiences with Hilton & Marriott group hotels before without any such drama and frustration. I still don’t have any confirmation that the room I booked for tonight is actually confirmed.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Room was 132 and was horrible. Everything was so disgusting. Bad customer service and poor management. Reported to BBB. And on top of all the disgusting amenities they took my driver license and never returned it. Called front desk and manager and they are saying they don't have. Had to make police report and report them to my bank... Stay far away. I took pics of room that will be posted and reported them to Choice Hotel. Front desk clerk Jhale was sneaky and very rude...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Thanksgiving weekend we stayed at Quality Inn on Palm Bay Rd, in Melbourne Florida. We paid approximately $130.00 a night, I tried to book there again for the weekend of March 2, 2018 and was told the price is with a senior discount $227.00. This is outrageous, how does a price increase $100.00 in less than 3 months. We are Choice Rewards member and we didn't have enough points to use for a free night. They told us it is now 30,000 points per night. Amazing, in November it was 10,000 points.

It amazes me that on one of the busiest weekend of the year the price was lower. When I called to make the reservation the agent who tried to help was no help. When we travel we always stay at Choice hotels, guess that won't be happening any longer, I can get better deals with hotels.com. We have several trips planned for this summer so I will stay wherever I get the best price. Your advertising is so out of context, the lowest price is a joke. Botta Bing Botta Boom, What a joke. We did book a hotel for that weekend in March for 2 nights at half the cost of yours. Thank you very much for nothing.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Recently stayed at Mainstay Suites 640 Federal Blvd. in Denver for three nights. Extremely helpful and friendly desk staff. One of most pleasant experiences at a hotel. I have been staying in hotels for over 50 years and very seldom rate or review. Francesca and Jess at front desk made stay wonderful. Very nice hotel, clean comfortable, and amenities were first rate. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I made a reservation for 3 rooms for work travel, and had to call to cancel them when our plans changed a couple hours later. I called the hotel and explained the situation, and was assured that all charges were cancelled. Later on I discovered only 1 room had been cancelled, and I was charged as a no show for the other 2 rooms. I called the hotel (Quality Inn Pleasant View, TN) multiple times over the next 4 months, and was never able to speak to the manager. I was told the manager was not in and would call me back each time, which never happened.

I also called Choice Hotels customer service multiple times, who refused to help, left numerous messages for the hotel manager as well, and would not give me an email or recorded transcript of our conversations, or any other way for me to document my numerous attempts to resolve the situation. This is completely unacceptable behavior, and my organization will never use any Choice Hotel chain again. I plan to file a claim with my credit card company and take every recourse possible to hold this company responsible for their erroneous charges.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I stayed for five nights at a Choice Hotel in December that I booked myself through their website. The points for these stays were not reported, and I submitted an online form for missing points. When I looked at my account the following month the points were still not reported. So I took great pains to find a phone number and was connected to a customer representative who not only was giving me the third degree but whose English was close to impossible to understand. It was a frustrating call that did not resolve the matter. I can only conclude that their rewards program is a bait and switch, designed to get people to stay at their substandard hotels but who promise they do not intend to deliver upon.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I travel a lot. I've stayed in at least 100 Choice Hotels a year. I've seen it all, been in all of them. I am a diamond member as well. Corporate needs to seriously look at their properties, they're terrible. Hotels falling apart. They don't fix anything. Their staff are overworked and underpaid. One lady told me that nobody in the hotel made over $9.00 an hour. The breakfast you get is unfit for a dog. They need to raise the standards of these places, nobody is held accountable. The showers I complain all the time, don't have any pressure. You don't feel clean. They recently changed their bars of soap to a new kind. Used to have the green one, was real good. Now they got a white one that makes you feel slick. Almost like you're trying to wash suntan lotion off, and without any decent pressure you can't get the crap off of you, (probably because it's cheaper), but it just sucks!!!

On top of all of that, last night the lady gave me my room, when I opened the door, somebody was already in there!!! We both had the same number on our door keys!!! That's never happened before until last night! All I can say is this place needs some love! Why doesn't anybody do anything about it! Their customer service is in crappy El Salvador for God sakes, and they'll keep you on hold forever!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I am appalled that I cant cancel a reservation with 24 hours notice. There is nothing on my confirmation notice that states 48 hour notice, you cant find it on the website (if it is there it isn't part of an FAQ or readily available). When I called the hotel, they won't cancel and when you call direct (which is where I placed my reservation) they won't cancel it either. It is the height of flu season and people get sick. 24 hours is more than enough notice. I will dispute the charge on my card bill.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

A total let down. It was a waste of time, and bigger waste of money! The jacuzzi had big pieces of black material floating in it. I myself drained the tub and cleaned it out. I refilled it and tried again. The same thing happened. I notified the front desk, and I was told he would have to call the manager. I waited about a hour and I didn't hear anything back. So, I walked to the front desk where I found the front desk clerk asleep. I never once heard from management.

So at checkout, after NO response from hotel mgmt, I told the agent about our situation. He blamed it on Jackson (ms) water in general. He apparently didn’t realize we lived in Jackson area. It’s NOT the reason. He offered nothing to compensate for what happened. I had to ask what they were going to do. He asked what WE expected him to do. He ended up discounting our rate 15%. That was IT. He showed no concern. This was a very special anniversary evening we had planned. The jacuzzi was the highlight, or was suppose to be. Will not recommend it to anyone, and it’s a shame because it’s a nice hotel otherwise.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Absolutely no customer service. The person I had to talk to about my bill was never available. Double charging, desk staff (usually there was nobody at the desk) couldn't answer any questions. Double charged.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I went to Portland, ME on Dec. 13th or 14th should I say as it was 12:30 am. My thoughts were that I was booking for the 14th due it being after midnight. I was in trouble at the airport with a no cancel or refund booking. Both the Clarion Hotel in Portland and Priceline agreed to change the reservation for me and I was so happy and relieved. THANK YOU!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have stayed at numerous hotels & Comfort Inn by Choice Hotels has always been a favorite. I stayed four days & checked out just to change from personal pay to my business paying. The next day I waited my reservation & was asked to leave the lobby & property because I didn't yet HAVE a room again. The next morning I parked at 8am to pickup my coworker who was staying there also, I was in my car on the phone in a parking space & the same woman came all the way down to the back & told me to leave AGAIN! I wasn't trespassing, I wasn't damaging anything, wasn't drunk or disorderly, not a thing I'd done wrong.

Then the next night I was told privately that I couldn't be on or near the property without having a room. But at this point I refused to reserve with them ever again. My coworker checked out and moved next door to best Western. It was a horrible and embarrassing experience. We called the manager who is never there, KEN, he's never called back. Choice hotels customer relations was called 7 times and nothing has or was done. Not a thing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Yes I got a cheap rate at the hotel I booked ($35 with taxes and fees), but the room is not fit for a dog, let alone a human being. There's a huge gap at the bottom of the front door and gaps around one side. As soon as I walked into the room I smelled a disgusting cinnamon smell used to try to hide the musty odor in the room. The carpeting is disgusting and you can't walk on it without shoes on. There are tiny sugar ants around the sink. The people at the front desk also lied to me about there not being a noisy boiler in the room next to mine that woke me up early the first morning I was here. They acted like they had no idea where the noise was coming from.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Choice Hotels Jacksonville, NC - It was great. The outside patio was absolutely amazing. The rooms were just like a little apartment and I would have loved to have lived there as it was equipped with all that you would need...

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Love the easy access and location in Grand Junction, Colorado. They are pet-friendly and the staff is so friendly, even laughed when our puppy escaped to the lobby by himself. Free breakfast is not the best, but it is filling.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The hotel was located in Savannah, Tennessee and like most of the Choice Hotels I use now instead of the Hilton brand - a decent bed, shower, and reasonable price (under $80.00). You never know what you are going to get and the areas are not in the best locations as far as safety and crime, but I just want a reasonable priced hotel that has a decent bed and shower because I will not usually be there but one night. I used to stay at Hampton Inn but they are just not competitive in price anymore - 30%-50% higher in cost.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

This hotel in Rhode Island (I can't remember the name but it was a Choice Hotel) was great for what we needed. The room was on the smaller side but other than that they had a very nice breakfast and very nice helpful people at the front desk. We had a great time and the hotel was nice!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I was advised one thing over the phone and after checking in it changed. I was not allowed to use the handicap parking even with the credentials. I was inconvenienced because of lack of communication among the staff and management. The staff did not try to make any accommodations for their mishap. No care or concern was shown.

Choice Hotels Company Information