2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

3.1/5 (323 ratings)

About Choice Hotels

Choice Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The most horrendous and unpleasant experience ever in a cheap hotel in Louisville Kentucky. Do not... I repeat do not book at the Gaulbert location. The front desk dunce swiped a card in authorized and took all out money claiming it was a glitch in the system without any repair or ability to better the situation. We drove all 980 miles from New Orleans to be basically witness to someone utter stupidity and disregard for customer service. They was no way to refund the $400 taken and no way to fix the situation.

Watch out when booking there. They make lots of mistakes and have no idea how to take care of a customer. And best yet... he was more worried that we might smoke “**” on the room. Truly horrible and gross. The front desk attended John was the worst... talking over you any moment he gets and completely incompetent and basically stupid at his job. Do Not Trust this hotel!!! When we did go to the manager and higher channels you will get nothing from them.... they will take your money and ** over.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Eric! My team and I would like to have an opportunity to look more into this. Can you please send us a private message with your full name, the date of arrival of the stay, and the confirmation number?

We hope to hear from you soon!

Fernando

Customer Care

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Been a loyal customer for 10 years! We made a reservation through Choice almost a year ago for holiday trip to New York. We get an email a few weeks before trip canceling our reservation. Now this close to holiday everything is almost triple the cost. Spent 2 hours on phone with customer service - NO HELP! Not a good way to treat your customers. I truly feel like they canceled because they can make more money with another reservation. Not a good look for your company.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Because of hotel negligence, I was covered head to toe in hazardous waste. Worse, they made me pay for it. I was refused a refund even though payment was made for goods/services I didn't receive. Satan has better morals.

Choice Hotels response

Oh no, Toni! Unquestionably, what you've described are not the conditions that represent Choice Hotel's properties. Cleanliness and guest satisfaction is our top priority, and it seems this hotel has fallen short of that. My team would like to take a look at this for you. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your confirmation number, date of arrival, and the hotel's address, along with the name on the reservation so that we can make a proper follow-up. -Debbie.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I booked a room in Tucson and thought I would save some points by using the Points+Cash option. It said free cancellation. I canceled the reservation in plenty of time. I then made a rather large reservation in Paris for 4 nights. Again I used Points+Cash option. It said free Cancellation. I did not see the small print nor did I read that if I cancelled the reservation I got no cash back. The cash would be converted to points and then put back into my account so I could only use them at Choice Hotels. I talked to a supervisor about this and she said there was nothing I could do. This is an obvious Bait and Switch. If there was no money to be returned, it should say that where it says FREE CANCELLATION.

When people are in a hurry booking these things they aren't reading all of the small print. This should have been upfront and in huge print so that anyone can see it from the beginning. I will use the points for some hotel stays but I will never use Choice Hotels again. I have been a customer for many years and have gotten some of my friends to join them as well. No more. I am going to find out what government agency governs this business and file a complaint. This offer should be taken off of their website or made to Say, NO FREAKING MONEY BACK INSTEAD OF FREE CANCELLATION. BAIT AND SWITCH.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Howard! Thank you so much for contacting us. We completely understand your disappointment regarding this overall situation. My team would like to have an opportunity to look more into this; can you please send us a private message with your confirmation number, hotel address, arrival date, and name on the reservation? We'll be waiting for your reply! -Debbie.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

As a former Concierge and having spent 25 plus years booking hotel, flight and rental car reservations, I know a thing or two about making a reservation. This website and the bait and switch are horrendous. Had used them a little over 2 years ago as the location my Husband was doing a project only had Choice Hotels or Motel 6. Website was easy to use and never had an issue. Needed to book a single night stay, and clicked on the "pay at check in" tab. This apparently directed me to the PAY NOW tab, and I reserved a room. NO WAY did I expect to be rerouted to this selection. Discovered this when I went to modify the date of the stay.

Duplicated the issue a second time, just to make sure it was not my mistake. Did not book the room, but saw the site direct me to this tab. Called the Guest Service number only to be on hold for 20 minutes. Sent a note on social media- NO response. Sent a private message on social media. No response. Looks like this company has lost a customer. As a Lifetime Elite Titanium with Marriott, he will be staying with them. Glad Choice screwed up this badly. The next 6 plus months of hotel stays that would be over 15k will be going to Marriott. NEVER AGAIN. Hope the $100 you screwed me out of was worth it. Will also be glad to tell EVERYONE that I know who travels NOT to stay at your properties.

Choice Hotels response

That is upsetting to hear and certainly, something we do not condone. We sincerely care about our valued members and the feedback provided by them. How can we fix this perception? Tell us more about these incidents because we want to address them ASAP. Please send us a private message with all the details, along with the confirmation numbers, arrival dates, hotels' names and addresses, and the name on the reservations. We're here for you. -Ed

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I stayed the number of qualifying nights for the 50$ gift card this past summer but never received it and when I called they said the offer requires you to call them back and confirm an address within 60 days of their offer expiring. What a crock. I didn't move and have been a Choice Privilege member since 2012. They have my address-- just an excuse not to have fulfill their promotion. Done with them.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Beth! My team and I would like to have an opportunity to look more into this. Can you please send us a PM with your full name, Choice Privileges #, mailing address, phone #, and email address? We hope to hear from you soon! -Fernando

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I have been a loyal Diamond member with Choice Hotels since 2007. I booked a suite in Shepherdsville KY for October 8th 2021 using points. After checking in we tried to enter the room to find out the inner latch was activated/locked meaning someone was in the room. When we went back to the front desk the young man was very apologetic and informed us that he had mistakenly given our room to someone else. He called his manager, they did give us another room that only had two double beds. We had three in our party. All other hotels in the area had no vacancy. We had to make it work and my son slept on the floor. After speaking to the manager who was very gracious said she would return all the points and offered a free night if we were ever in the area again.

The following week I got on the Choice Website to see if the points had been credited back. When I accessed my account I was shocked to see that the 750,000 points I had accumulated were down to 50,000. I immediately called Choice Hotel Corporate Customer Service. After several calls that were at least 20-30 minutes each and being disconnected I was finally able to speak with someone. As I write this I am still furious, it has been over one week and NO response. Choice Hotels allowed a hacker to get into my account, steal over 750,000 points and charge almost $1,000 on my credit card. They had me change my email and user name four times. Within minutes the rest of my points were stolen.

I requested that they change my account number and username several times. It has been one week, they have still not done anything. They continue to inform me that it is under investigation. Is it Rocket Science to determine that either someone internal or a hacker has access to my account and is able to change my email and password? They also now have access to my home address and phone number but yet Choice Hotel chooses to leave my account open. Common sense would be to close my account, give me a new account number and user ID while they conduct their so called "Investigation" While they allow someone else to access my account, I CAN NOT!

I had to call and ask what hotels I had scheduled and where in order to cancel (as my access to MY account is shut down, but accessibility is allowed to the hacker or internal thieves). I was not able to book any.... and they were not able to tell me when I would be able to book any future reservations. This is customer service? Unacceptable and incompetent Corporate Customer Service. I did not have to choose to switch to another hotel, they forced me to. I am confident that the hotel chain I have switched to will have much better security, better hotels, better employees, and corporate customer service representatives who care and appreciate their guests.

Choice Hotels response

We can understand why you’d be upset, Andy! Could you provide us in a private message the name on the reservation, confirmation number, and hotel address to investigate this further? Also, please include your Elite Diamond ID, mailing address, email, phone number, and full name as it is on your account. We hope to be hearing more from you soon. ~ Jeremiah

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Booked thru Hopper but Hotel was substandard. Many problems I'll list later but the main thing is there was no COLD (yes cold) water so you could not take a shower for fear of getting burned. Even the toilet had hot water. We checked out the next morning and they said they would send the credit to Hopper. There was no way to contact Hopper. Their website, App, and phone number say you must request a refund on their APP but the button they direct you to on the app to file is not there. I posted a separate review for Hopper. The Hotel has been unhelpful in giving me a number to contact Hopper which they MUST HAVE to deal with billing issues. Multiple calls with the general manager and manager at the hotel. They couldn't even give me the dollar amount of the credit. It is now 21 days and no credit.

I contacted my Visa company who is getting my credit for me. I then contacted Choice to complain about the hotel. She told me that I was credited for 1 night, not two. The hotel charged me for a second night that we did not stay. She said it was because we did not tell them the day before we were checking out. I guess we needed ESP to know there would be no cold water. I called three days later and the engineer was still working on the water problem. They never gave us a statement when we checked out but we did get a survey request.

Smaller Problems: They told my wife the restaurant was open when she called but found out it was closed Sunday thru Thursday. They told her the subway was a block and a half away. It was 4 blocks, 2 down and 2 across. They said parking was $45 a day with in/out privileges or $53 for self-parking nearby. If you drove into the same lot underneath it was only $30 with an elevator up to the hotel. They wanted $15 a day to bill it thru the hotel. The AC had to be set to 68 just to get the room to 74 and it was cool outside. Now the small stuff. 1/2 roll of TP in the room, had to call the desk. Two tv's but no remote, had to call the desk. No water cups in the bathroom, one coffee cup, two pods, one creamer. I guess they wanted us to share. Bottom of fridge kept filling with condensation and needed to be dried up constantly. I would never recommend this hotel.

Choice Hotels response

Michael! We sincerely care about our comments and feedback. Our inbox remains open any time you need to.

Ray

Choice Hotels International

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I have be a Diamond Choice Hotel member for years. I booked a trip to California through the my choice ap and held the reservation like I had done numerous times. At the conclusion of our trip, I elected to pay with cash. My wife and I then traveled to Mexico for 2 months. When I came back, I noticed the charge had been processed on my credit card. I tried to dispute the charges, or have the days credited to my account in points. I was basically called a liar and offered 200 points for my inconvenience. The hotel we stayed at in San Diego did not provide house cleaning and I had to beg for towels. I will never stay in a Choice hotel again!

Choice Hotels response

We understand that money is a pressing matter, Timothy! We don't want to lose the chance to look into this for you. Could you be so kind and send us a private message with your confirmation number, arrival date, and name on the reservation? Once we have this information, we are going to follow up. Kind regards, Numas.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Horrible service. Scammed my credit card. Now saying I’ll be charged because they have a 30 day cancellation policy. What?!! Then they said, "We also cancelled your room (that I never got)" and still charged my card 460$!!! BUYER BEWARE.

Choice Hotels response

I wish you didn't have to go through that, Sandi! We know how important it is for you to have your money back. Feel free to send us a private message with more details about the charges, along with your date of arrival, name on the reservation, hotel address, and confirmation number. Once we have the information, we will follow up more on this matter.

Choice Hotels Company Information