3.8/5 (666 ratings)

About Choice Hotels

Choice Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: July 29, 2022

In check in to Comfort Inn on July 18th for an overnight stay celebrating my granddaughter birthday with trip to Sesame Place in Pennsylvania. I had 2 rooms which was horrible. The rooms were smelly. The chair had this big noticeable white stain and this is just 1 room. The other room was just as horrible. This chain of hotels, motels needs to be closed down until they can do better. Once upon a time this was a nice clean and decent chain of hotels, but now they are garbage. I want my money back for this stay.

Choice Hotels response

We regret knowing that your most recent experience didn't reach your expectations, Linda. My team and I would like to know more about your case. At your most convenient time, please send us a private message with more details of your experience, along with the hotel's address, confirmation number, and the name on the reservation. We'll be on the expectation of your message.

Clau

Customer Care

Original review: July 25, 2022

I booked at econolodge where I know is clean and I have stayed before. I got to the hotel late in evening after driving all day and expected my room since I booked in advance. Hotel tells me my room was mistakenly rented and they will get me a room at a hotel down the street at a sister hotel and I don't really have a choice this late in the evening so I go only to find bugs crawling around and the place is disgusting so I leave. Bad enough I lost $137 on a place I wouldn't let my worst enemy sleep in BUT, I book with Choice for the points and free nights and decent promotions.

The hotel went a step further and kept my money and refused refund and says I cancelled reservation costing me my points. So now I got screwed points, Screwed $137 AND.....when I call choice to fix this I get some 3rd world idiot who doesn't even speak english to tell me in broken english that everything is up to the hotel and choice won't do a thing for me. Choice hotels all privately owned and will rob you blind. Look into another hotel chain.

Choice Hotels response

It sounds like you have gone through an unpleasant experience, Joe. We'd love to get more details of the story. Could you please send us a private message with the reservation name, the hotel's location, arrival date, and confirmation number? Also, please include your Choice Privileges number, mailing address, and email address associated with your account. We hope to hear from you soon.

Fernando

Customer Care

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I have ASKED numerous times for a RESPONSE and REFUND of TWO $100 bills STOLEN from my WIFE's PURSE at the QUALITY INN in ATHENS, ALABAMA on 9-17-2021. We were "watched" by a housekeeper, and as SOON as we went to the continental breakfast the MORNING after our night stay, the Housekeeper ENTERED the room (using her MASTER KEY) and only did two things: (1) she placed fresh soap and towels in the bathroom and (2) she opened the PURSE my wife left on top of the bed... and STOLE $200.

We called the Athens, Alabama police. They came and took a report of the theft, I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, and another complaint with the Alabama Attorney General. When I try speaking with Choice Hotels customer service, and corporate officers at the Choice Hotels headquarters... they completely ignore me and tell me to ask the manager of the motel... Who says her name is Rita **!

Rita simply explained to me: "If you had come ask me before you called the police, I would have given you back your $200." "Now that you have notified the police, Rita says the police can now handle this... And I refuse to even discuss this with you!" Would you want to be a customer of Choice Hotels?? We are senior citizens... Over 67 years old. And were victims of a crime because we were targeted and stalked by the staff of the Choice Hotels we stayed at!! Choice Hotels ignores our complaint... So they evidently approve of thefts by hotel staff employees!! Avoid staying at any and all Choice Hotels!!! For your own good!!

Choice Hotels response

Hello, Terry. What you described is a serious matter, and we are ashamed of the frustrations you have gone through and the answer you received from the General Manager. It also saddens us that we have failed to provide you with a satisfactory outcome. My team would like to have all the necessary details to forward them to the appropriate parties. Could you please send us a private message with the full name on the reservation and the confirmation number? Hope to see your message. -Mei

Original review: July 7, 2022

One of the worst hotel chains I have ever tried. They have the low income housing at their hotels and the guests are super sketchy. I had 3 nights booked at the Rodeway Capri in New Jersey. I was approached by a "guest" who asked me for money. When I refused he followed me to the lobby and waited for me outside. The hotel refunded me for 2 nights but still charged me for the night I stayed. 2 months later I booked a one-night stay at Clarion in Miami. Again felt super unsafe, called customer service and they refused to refund my stay. These hotels are scary to stay at, especially if you are staying with kids, NEVER book a Choice Hotel. You will regret it just as I have TWICE.

Choice Hotels response

Hello, Janice. We are terribly sorry to hear of the poor experience you had on your most recent visit due to the problems you encountered while staying at our hotels. We would like to further look into this for you. Please send us a private message with the reservation's name, the hotel location, check-in date, confirmation number, and more details about what happened during your second stay. We hope to hear from you soon.

Fernando

Original review: July 7, 2022

There is no decision makers you can ever talk to with Choice Hotels. Just robotic people saying the same thing over and over again. I was led to believe buying points was a good deal since you can pay with points or renting directly. Bought the points and then found out I couldn’t even apply them to my hotel!!! It did not tell me that in the fine print. I will be disputing this with my credit card company. The points are completely useless and I was not allowed a refund despite calling in 5 minutes later after buying the points. Talking to customer service for over an hour and being hung up on. MISLEADING COMPANY AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. No refunds!

Choice Hotels response
    Hello, Ben. We are disappointed to hear about the inconvenience you had using your Choice Privileges points. We would like to further look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your Choice Privileges number, mailing address, and email address. We hope to hear from you soon. -Fernando

Customer Care

Original review: June 28, 2022

I stayed at the Quality Inn in Marshall, MI and did not have a good experience. My spouse and I got about 1.5 hours of sleep because the hotel (more like a motel) is in such poor condition that we were kept awake most of the night by all sorts of noises. The rooms don’t appear to be soundproofed at all, and we could clearly hear other people moving around the hallway, opening and closing doors downstairs, and people in the parking lot taking or starting and driving their cars. The refrigerator in the room would kick on and make insanely loud noises, as did the air conditioning unit. The room and hallways had stained carpets and a bad, stale smell. The bed was also pretty uncomfortable- you could feel springs popping through in portions of the mattress. I expected that for $130 a night, this would have been a more well-maintained hotel with a more pleasant and comfortable environment- but it was not.

I do not feel this is any fault of the staff- they were all very professional and nice. It just seems that this building has been neglected and not updated for decades. But Choice seems to have no problem charging updated rates for it. When I contacted Choice customer service with my concerns, they gave me 8000 Choice privilege points to use at any of their hotels. I assumed this would compensate me for the bad experience I paid for. It did not. To book a room at the same hotel that we had this experience in is 20,000 points- so I wasn’t even given points equal to the points value of my stay.

The hotel I was looking at for my next stay during my travel is 30,000 points. I figured I would use the points I was given and pay the difference at another hotel, but this isn’t really even a possibility because many of the hotel I needed don’t have a points + cash option. When I brought this up, I was advised how I can purchase more points. I am not interested in purchasing points to help make up the difference. At this point I want to be fully reimbursed for the stay in which we got barely any sleep. I am very disappointed and frustrated with this entire experience with Choice Hotels and could not recommend this chain to anyone.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for detailing such a frustrating experience, Jamie. What you have described is not the type of service that we expect our branded properties to deliver. It saddens us to learn that a valued guest like you had to suffer this unacceptable service. Rest assured, your feedback is what we are using to improve. Your comments have been forwarded to the hotel owners so they might take proper actions where needed. If anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to let us know. -Kathy

Original review: June 24, 2022

I have been a Choice Hotels loyal customer for more than 25 years. I need to say that I am a senior >70 years in age. Recently, over the past 30 days, my wife and I found ourselves traveling from Georgia to California (San Francisco) to enjoy a cruise to Alaska. Much needed time to enjoy each other's company. We enjoy driving vs air travel to the port to take a cruise ship. In doing so, we stayed at 5 different Choice Hotels locations.

Prior to starting our travels, we signed up for the STAY 2X GET 5000 TO 8000 BONUS POINTS PROMOTION. What a joke, we find that after staying at these 5 different facilities (Amarillo, TX; Flagstaff, AZ; Morgan Hill, CA; Albuquerque, NM; finally, Oklahoma City, OK) we should have been rewarded for our travels with additional bonus points provided to us...WHAT a joke, at one location, the hotel had a major water main break that flooded our room, clothing, luggage, etc...The management provided us a new room and even comped our visit.

In doing so, we later learned that this location would not be included as one of our stays...Why, you ask, because the management comped our room, therefore as Choice Hotels views our stay...we did not pay for the room, therefore, we did not stay....and be part of the STAY 2X PROMOTION. The promotion requires you as a customer to actually pay for the night's lodging. I should state that the hotel that we stayed at, gave us 10,000 points for our inconvenience...Again, Choice Hotels, indicates that the points given to us, negates us from the promotion, Why, because we received a generous gift of points for our wet clothing, luggage and ourselves...our inconvenience.

We still stayed at the facility, but did not pay for the room. To be part of the STAY 2X PROMOTION, you MUST pay money for your stay...Choice points awards are based on the $$$ amount you pay for the room...not for your actual stay...No money paid, no points award...This is how CHOICE HOTELS rewards its loyal customers. What a crock of **. Choice Hotels and their group of independent hotel franchises operating under the Choice Hotels umbrella sure have the nerve to run a program that you get rewarded only and when you pay for the night's lodging. Otherwise, they have NO loyalty program and do not reward its vast group of loyal customers for their stay at a Choice Hotels facility...What a lousy deal, in my opinion.

Choice Hotels response

James, your honest feedback is appreciated as this helps us to identify which improvements are necessary to provide more benefits to our valued members. My team would like to investigate further about your case and try to restore your trust in us. Please send us a private message including the mailing address, phone number, email address, and full name on the Choice Privileges account. We appreciate your cooperation. -Zaira

Original review: June 24, 2022

I was charged twice for a room (even though I only had 1 room reserved), that was uninhabitable in Fremont, Oh.. They checked me out 15 minutes after I arrived because the hotel was filthy and had what looked like feces on my bedding. Told me I wouldn't be charged, but proceeded to charge me for 2 rooms, adjusted the cost for 1 and charged me for the ghost room. I'm fighting for my money back still a month later! Help!!!

Choice Hotels response

We can imagine your disappointment regarding this experience, especially since there is money involved, Darryl. My team would like to take a look at your case. When your time allows, please send us a private message with the hotel's address, date of arrival, confirmation number, and the name on the reservation. Once we locate your stay, we'll continue assisting you. Thank you. -Kathy

Original review: May 17, 2022

I am in absolut disbelief of the hidden quality of air and living conditions my family and I were subjected to by Suburban Extended Stay at 1125 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901. My family and I have been forced to stay in hotels like many other families in America right now until we can find a new home to rent. With this said we are already in a very stressful situation and this 8 night stay made an already difficult time much worse!

First of all the room we were in had roaches that we did not notice till we were about to check out Ewwww. Secondly the carpets were so dirty and disgusting it made our feet black. We could not walk without shoes on! Third of all and most concerning was that AC unit and the air quality it produced! (I'll add photos if possible.) Let me paint you a picture. After about 3 days of staying in this hotel, my fiance, my 2 yr old and myself started to feel a bit under the weather as if we were catching a cold. We thought nothing of it as my children attended daycare and bring sickness home sometimes. But after a few more days we started to notice my 2yr old was starting to have labored breathing and had a severe fever that wasn't going away. So, we took our baby to the Dr. To which she did everything she could to keep him from being hospitalized.

She ran the Covid test RSV test and comon flu test and it came back negative for 2 days. My son was very close to being hospitalized but his DR. Was amazing and kept his symptoms from worsening. It wasn't until we checked out and moved to a much nicer hotel that his symptoms vanished! On top of that my 4 month old began having breathing issues and had conjunctivitis from these conditions to which she is still fighting off as she is too young to take most meds!

Now after several rude and dismissive conversations with the establishment I contacted Choice hotels to try and get full compensation for these horrifying conditions and the stress this put on my very young children and all they offered was apologies and $125 of the $900 I spent. I still have not received my deposit either and it's been about a week. The owner of this specific location has several bad reviews with what looks like little to no resolutions to the issues. It is blatantly obvious that the owner has no concern with the well-being of his patrons or the health of children and should have his franchise rights stripped by choice and the building needs to be condemned!

I hope no one has to be subjected to the unacceptable living conditions of this poor excuse of a hotel ever again. All I wanted was to be fully compensated for my stay but now I'm forced to contact all regulatory agencies to report these health violations and I'm sure other violations hidden in this disgusting place. If you're thinking about staying in a Choice hotel I would highly recommend reconsidering another option as it does not seem the owner of the location I stayed in or the Choice hotel company itself even care about their customers or the well-being of children! Edit. Still no refund 1 week later and I am being ignored by everyone. I’ve contacted news that decided to write a story about this hotel and I reported this hotel. And will continue to report this hotel. Disgusting that someone can get kids sick and not care at all for the health of their guests!

Gabriella,

These are comments we do not take lightly. While every claim is taken seriously, please know that our hotels undergo rigorous performance checks. To hear that this partner has come in far under expectation is not something we are proud to learn. My team and I would like a chance to connect with you further to ensure the relevant parties are contacted to handle this more appropriately. Please send us a private message with the arrival date and the full name on the reservation. -Helder

Original review: May 16, 2022

I am a Diamond member of Choice Hotels (which means I stay over 40 nights per year in a Choice hotel). Today I called Choice Hotels support to get credited for 8,000 points I recently received during a promotion that were not credited to my account. I hit the button for an automated callback this morning and they never called me back. You have to wait on hold to speak to a representative. If you select the option for them to call you back, they will not do so. This is where the deceit started, but not where it ended.

After 90 minutes on hold, I finally reached a representative who told me the points had been credited to my account and that's why I have a balance of 20,000 Choice Reward points. I have a balance of 20,000 points because I RECENTLY PURCHASED 20,000 points WITH MY MONEY. Choice is saying the 8,000 points have been credited to my account, that my folio reflects that (it does not -- I asked if I could share a copy of my folio with them and they said I could not), and they said the 20,000 points that I PURCHASED are evidence I received my 8,000 free promotional points (which, by the way, required a two-night stay, which I completed).

When I asked for the representative's name so I could file a complaint they hung up on me. After I finish typing this sentence I'm done with Choice Hotels. They'll never see another cent from me again. If they hang up on their Diamond members (the highest possible rewards level that can be earned with this brand) I can't even imagine how they would treat everyone else.

Choice Hotels response

Hello, Kristi. We understand and regret the situation that you went through with your points. We want to look into this situation for you and further review your account to check about your missing rewards. Could you please send us a private message with your email address, phone number, and complete mailing address? Talk to you soon. -Kathy

Choice Hotels Company Information