1.57/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

410 Choice Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

The corporate Choice Hotel staff is very well versed in how not to grant you the "free" night you've earned! In my opinion their promotions are an absolute joke. There's really no need to go into ALL the details because I could go on and on and it wouldn't change a thing. Just trust me from experience. If you ever get to actually use one of their promos, go the same day and buy a lottery ticket because you are on a one in a million streak!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I've stayed at Choice Hotels for years. Overall, the Comfort Inn hotels have been clean and the service at the hotels adequate. But the corporate service... that's another story. Good luck on ever getting a 'free' night. They are sloppy at best of keeping up with your points and stays. But you'd better hope that you don't have an issue that you can handle while you are at the hotel. I changed hotels upon arrival due to the location and the sketchy front desk people (Cheyenne, WY). I changed from Quality Inn to Comfort Inn in the same town and asked Quality Inn to cancel my reservation.

3 weeks later I get a charge on my card. It took 6 phone calls and a customer service supervisor to finally get someone to respond and credit my account even though they could see and confirmed that I stayed in another one of THEIR hotels. The customer service group is a joke. They just make promises, they don't care about your loyalty or your time. They don't try to make anything easy for the customer. The Comfort Inns are overall ok and up to now I've been satisfied but watch out if you are really wanting a frequent stay plan or there is a mistake somewhere. You have to be a pitbull and I don't have time for that and there are too many other options.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had probably ten loyal years that I stayed in Choice Hotels using the Choice Privileges Card. Gathering Points. Stayed a loyal customer and without warning they deleted years of points I had compiled. I called the Corporate Office and all they offered to do was give me half. And this was only 2 weeks after they deleted them. TERRIBLE COMPANY!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Their website says something in contradiction to their actual policy regarding making any changes to a booking. Other motel chains I have dealt with realize that we can have unwanted disruptions in our travel plains, so they allow changes, such as arrival date. Choice Hotels does not give you any such options. Furthermore, their customer service people don't speak or understand English. I guess they don't want to hire Americans for that job? Can they honestly expect repeat business? They treat their customers like DOGGY POOP.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Never ever book this hotels. I booked a hotel in Hersheypark (Quality Inn) and I got a confirmation for them and I was set to have fun but when I reached there they said they didn't got my confirmation and they charged me full price of the hotel saying that, "The manager will come tomorrow and look into your problem and refund whatever is charged other than your booking." Since it was 11 in the night and I was tired after going to Hersheypark I agreed to them. The next day I went to front desk and asked for refund. He said, "I can't give you refund. You need to prove me," and I can't do anything since he is just employee.

Part B the hotel stinks like **, the floors were not vacuumed, there were hair in the bathtub, the dryer was not working properly, the shower head was rusted and also I saw a mouse running in the corridor and moreover breakfast was ** old. I paid $160 for all this and I am regretting it now. I don't know what to do but I have asked my bank to dispute for this charges that what I can do since no one is helping. But that old freaking guy will pay someday to the people like him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: May 15, 2018

On May 8, 2018, I made a reservation for May 25-27, 2018 for a room at QUALITY INN & SUITES AT DOLLYWOOD LANE (3756 Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN, 37863). The confirmation number is **. I made the reservation online at Choicehotels.com. I paid $150 using my VISA credit card in addition to 12,000 points. I received confirmation of the reservation by email. The reservation clearly stated: "Cancellation Policy: You can cancel this reservation free of charge until May 23, 2018 before 4:00:00 PM local hotel time."

On May 13, 2018, I cancelled the above reservation by logging into my online account at Choicehotels.com (Cancellation Number: **). I received confirmation of the cancellation by email. However, the $150 was not refunded to my credit card. I have proof through my credit card transactions that the $150 was charged to my account on May 9, 2018 but was never refunded.

On May 15, 2018, I called Choice Hotels at 800-424-6423 at least four times and every time was transferred to the number 888-770-6800 from where I was returned back to the same people. The last person I talked to was Aldo (Employee id **) whom I requested to transfer me to a supervisor and he responded: "I cannot transfer you to my supervisor at this moment". So it seems, Choice Hotels is in the business of stealing people's money.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Stayed in a suite in Ankeny Iowa for 1 night and the room was nasty. Called front desk as soon as we got to the room asking for a clean bed spread and then had to ask for towels, coffee, cups and things because the room was NOT stocked with anything. We will NEVER stay again.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I received an email from Choice Hotels asking if I had recently changed my profile on their site. I couldn't remember having accessed the account for months so I called the number provided. I asked if they had been hacked and was told by the service person that the reason they had emailed me was because someone had changed information on my page. After looking at my information the only change had been the email address (changed to **). I again asked if Choice Hotels had been hacked and the service person said that they were receiving many calls from customers on this issue but refused to say they had been hacked.

My personal page had only limited information, as that is how I approach the internet, but the hacker had access to my home address and my cell phone number which was of concern enough. I asked the service person if choice hotels would send me an email stating that they had been hacked or that my information had been compromised that request was denied. I asked to speak with a supervisor who started to tell me that the access to my account may have been through my email or some such thing which made no sense and denied they had been hacked. She was less than forthcoming with information or apologies of any kind. Those of you who are Choice Hotels members may want to check on the status of your accounts but don't expect much from the service personnel. Change your password at least.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Be very careful when booking at the Econo Lodge in Paw Paw MI. A relative booked a room - after reading on Booking.com that there was free cancellation and her card wouldn’t be charged. Well, that was wrong. They charged her card immediately and then we’re going to charge her another 400+$ to cancel. When I physically went to the hotel and confronted the desk person he stated they had nothing to do with that and it was Booking.com’s fault. They also didn’t seem to care that Booking.com’s booking site said free cancellation etc and he said there was “fine print” that stated booking was final. My relative did manage to contact Booking.com who told her that the hotel was indeed in charge of everything. Luckily her money will be reimbursed - but not for a week. This “Choice Hotel” will never be MY choice again!

Original review: April 30, 2018

As I am writing this review, I've been on hold for 50 minutes for customer service. I recently stayed at a Comfort Suites in Manheim PA and was told by a very friendly and eager first desk personnel that I should sign up for their rewards program, that it is super easy to get a free night stay and that my two nights stay would count towards the points. She even told me about the number of points I would get, roughly 1360 points. I told her that I have a couple of trips coming up and that I would then book through the program. Well, in booking for my future trips, I had to overlook cheaper and far more convenient hotels thinking that I was building points toward a future free stay.

I came to find out that my 2 night stay in Manheim would not qualify for points since I booked through a group rate even though I paid for close to $400 for two night stay. NO ONE ever advise me of this. Choice Hotel should educate your front desk personnel and not have them falsely represent the program and entice the customers to take actions they would not otherwise have taken. I was basically lied to. When I tried to address this issue with customer service, I was placed on hold, now coming on one hour! POOR POOR customer service. I would never use these hotels again.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I booked a hotel for Corpus Christi, checking in Saturday, and checking out Sunday. We came to town for an event at A&M for my daughter. When originally making the reservation, the online site confirmed a hotel in Lubbock Texas, not Corpus Christi. I had to immediately go in and cancel. Upon arriving at the hotel, Sleep Inn and Suites, I was told my reservation was for the prior date - checking in Friday, and out Saturday. This is impossible as I double and triple checked all the information seeing the first go around I had been confirmed for the wrong city. Not only was I charged as a no show, there are no vacancies. The customer service support center is closed and I have no one to speak to. This is awful. The absolute worst service and site for reservations. Never again.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Choice Hotels for years and am a Diamond level member. We book rooms 4 nights of every week. My daughter qualified for Regionals Track Championships in Stuart, Florida. I went on Choice Hotels to locate a hotel near the track and Choice Hotels came up with Suburban Extended Stay (there were only 3 hotels in the entire area - not a big bustling place) so I booked the room.

We arrived at 10:30 at night, the check in clerk was excited to see us as she just worked a double and told us we were the last people for the night. Gave us the room key and as my daughter and I walked up to our room, we noticed a lot people hanging around in the parking lot drinking making a big ruckus and people just hanging around hallways. Well, when we opened the room door, we were blasted with mildew, pee smell and smoke smells. The beds looked like bananas. They were so warped. Mold all over the place and tons of patched holes in the walls.

Needless to say, I didn't even let my daughter sit on the bed. I immediately started calling Choice Hotels (over 7 times trying to get someone and when I finally did, they transferred me and I got a recording that they were closed for the night) and decided there was no way I was going to stay there with my daughter, we couldn't even breath because the smell was so bad. As we pulled out of the parking lot, the office light was off and closed up. I drove to a Best Western down the street and booked a room. I called Choice again and spoke with the reservations department and basically, nothing I can do, you need to call customer relations tomorrow.

I called Choice again and after a 30 minute phone call, basically, they said the hotel will give you 1/2 a refund and you can leave a review of the hotel. Spoke with a supervisor who said, "Well, how about I offer you 4000 points to offset that." I told him that doesn't even cover one night (min. night is 8000 points). I wasn't agreeing to paying 1/2 for a room I couldn't even stand in for 20 minutes and then pay for another room the same night. Well, nothing we can do. Well, looking at other reviews, Choice Hotels needs to stop the Badda book Badda room ads and work on their customer relations. The rooms are facilitated on Choice Hotels, they get a portion of every room reservation from the hotels, they are just as responsible for horrible experiences at locations they provide through their site.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I booked rooms at two different Comfort Inns for two different stays (one after the other). Due to car problems, I had to cancel both and re-book at the second location for several days later. I cancelled well before the deadlines, and all of this was done directly through their corporate online reservations system. It turns out that while on my computer screen it said that I cancelled, neither cancellation was recorded in their system, and I was charged a no show fee by both hotels. Fortunately I printed both cancellations to PDF files.

First time I called their main number, but was told that I had to call customer service, which was closed. When I called customer service, the representative spoke poor English and didn't seem to understand my problem. His supervisor spoke English well and understood the problem, but she couldn't help. I had to send an email with my proof of cancellation, and was told it would take up to 10 business days to get an answer. I finally got an answer after 19 days (13 business days) and a second follow-up email. Their answer was that they couldn't do anything for me - despite me providing proof, and the fact that these transactions have to be available to IT even if they didn't fully process.

I contacted my credit card companies (each cancelled reservation was on a different card) and filed disputes. I was so mad that I emailed the Choice Hotels CEO, Patrick Pacious, directly. I received a reply from his executive assistant the next day. Her title is "Executive Assistant to Pat Pacious, Reputation Management". Interesting how their reputation must be so bad that they need a special person to help with that. It says a lot that his assistant's real job is managing their reputation as opposed to helping their customers.

They couldn't issue credit card refunds because the hotels are independent of corporate headquarters, but they offered to issue me a check for a full refund of the $173.01 billed in no show fees. I asked for 4 free nights as compensation for all of my trouble and aggravation, which was ignored. While I didn't necessarily expect to get what I asked for, you would think that in light of the situation they would want to make some gesture of goodwill, but they offered absolutely nothing other than refunding the money they tried to cheat me out of. I sent them my address for payment.

I didn't notice it at the time, but one line in the letter said "Please keep in mind, checks are issued from our corporate headquarters in Rockville, MD and can take 4-6 weeks for delivery." I realized this the next day upon receiving a follow up email from another representative that reiterated the 4-6 week time frame. This company appears to be incompetently managed from top to bottom, and it is no surprise that their CEO also previously ran their IT department. A reputable company would put a check in the mail within a day or two and I would get it in the mail within a week, especially when it was a total screw-up on their part.

While I notified the credit card companies of the situation, I also informed them that I want to keep my disputes open until I actually get the money. I don't trust this company one bit. I'm going to wait a week after depositing the check to make sure it clears. I'm going to further complain and demand cash payment for the value of the points I earned during my re-booked stay. The points are worthless to me because I will never stay at any of their hotels ever again, and I don't have nearly enough for a free room.

I was actually satisfied with my hotel stay. I don't want to mention the location because none of my problems are the fault of the hotel. It was further from the downtown area of the city than I was led to believe, but I got a good price for a decent room. Nothing fancy, but nothing to complain about either, and the staff were professional and courteous. Their properties are all 100% smoke-free, which was a big factor for me in choosing Choice Hotels, and I didn't smell smoke anywhere or find degenerate smokers huddled right outside the entrance door, which is common where I live in the NYC area. So I am really disappointed that Choice Hotels is no longer an option for me.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Last year on a business trip in Vegas I needed to stay at the client designated property, Tropicanna. Being an IHG Plat Elite, I wasn't familiar with the property's website or booking direct with them, so thanks to Google I was funneled to Choice Hotels - Huge Mistake! When I arrived I learned that my room was already booked by the client, so I contacted Choice, spoke with an uninterested CSR and explained the situation. TS, they would not cancel the room and the room was $20 more than what I could have received at the front desk. $179 pissed out the window for their crappy and expensive experience.

Having been with IHG for many years, staying at their properties all over the world, I've never been treated as poorly as I was by Choice Hotels. In fact, IHG makes changes near Effortless and Simple, too bad Choice Hotels, which lives through a continuous battery of catchy false advertising is such an industry slouch, badda book badda boom! You can't beat IHG or the free breakfast at HIE. :)

Original review: April 17, 2018

We stayed at a Choice Hotel in Frederick, MD (Sleep Inn). The hotel charged us for damages to the room without notifying us. Yet they never stepped foot in the room during the stay. And we didn't do any damage. For over a week I tried contacting the hotel (phone calls, email, and visits) each time being told they couldn't help us and there wasn't a manager there or getting a voice mailbox that was full. We got no response to emails. I finally contacted Choice Hotels themselves. I was told to wait 72 hours to allow the hotel to respond and if it wasn't resolved to call them back and they would take care of it.

I gave them 4 full days before contacting them again. I was then told that they couldn't do anything! That the hotel is independently owned! When I argued that they were still a part of their hotel chain, I was told they still couldn't do anything. So, don't think you have them backing you. They are allowing these hotels to do what they want! Worse hotel experience I've ever had!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Choice Hotels for years and have even been a Diamond level member. I have stayed countless times (months and months) over the years with Choice Hotels. I recently started purchasing points at a discount (i.e. 30,000 points for 238.00 instead of 299.00). I wanted to use points on a stay this coming weekend at the Sleep Inn in Franklin, TN. When I checked the rates on the Choice Hotel site, the rate was 114.99/ night. Having over 29k in points, I went to use the points for a free nights stay. Choice wanted 30,000 points for a 114.99 room. That makes me paying 238.00 for the room in points.

I called customer service and complained. They were very nice and sympathized with me. I asked for a supervisor, and got the same polite response. Upon grilling her, she finally admitted that it was the individual inn that set the points. I will address the manager upon check in about this. Folks... you're getting screwed and not even kissed. So long Choice Hotels. I am keeping my reservation in London in July, but that's it. Screw your points.

Original review: April 13, 2018

A big runaround on using points on account. Wait so many days and then most of all points taken away over and over again. A big joke for a rewards. All other chain hotel rewards are way better. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Worst customer service ever. The hotel went bankrupt and Choice Hotels does not answer their customer service phone, or respond accurately to emails. After 7 calls and being hung-up on instantly, I talked to a human and she hung up on me. I would give them NO STARS if possible.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Econo-Lodge in Beckley, WV was such a fabulous hotel. They make you feel like you are staying with a friend. Safe and you can bring your beloved pets. Nice grounds to walk the dog and conveniently located near great restaurants too. Top notch!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Slept in room 200 bar on 3/17/18. I rented the room for five people. My son & step-daughter & my two grandkids. The bed I had was the couch bed & it was awful. Someone should check this couch bed, it is sleeping on springs. Awful. I had to use couch cushions to try to sleep. I don't mind paying for good quality but this was far from good. Wish someone would get back to me, regarding this problem. Thanks.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I had a number of stays that involved me extending the visit beyond the date I originally booked. Each involved a weekend but since their system is apparently not set up to automatically credit me for this, I had to contact Customer Service. After multiple attempts, I finally spoke to someone in the correct "department", but they could not access my stays from their computer. I was asked to locate the confirmation numbers and call them back. Whose computer system doesn't permit access by customer service personnel to their own members' accounts? I was told when I contacted them about extending my stays and they indicated that their system would automatically credit me properly. That clearly did not happen. Customer service inadequate and not worth the time I have spent attempting to resolve this issue. Cancelled my account and will find another program to join.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Quality Inn and Suites Eau Claire WI NOT PET FRIENDLY - We have stayed here in the past and had no problems and always walked away happy. They have changed a lot since our last stay in January. The major reason we stay here is they are pet friendly ($15 fee) and have a nice pool and hot tub. They have changed their pet policy in the last month and your pet must go with you at all times and can not be left in the room alone. So, if you are going to a hockey game... your pet is left staying in the car. If you are going sightseeing, your pet must stay somewhere else. We were going to a very important awards ceremony the day we arrived and were told this. Lucky it was just a nice day... not too cold and not too hot so we let our Yorkie stay in our truck.

When questioned about why they changed the pet policy she said "we have had too many dogs left unattended for hours at a time and they bark and scratch at the door and do damage to the carpet." I explained that our dog is 12 years old and Kennel trained. She said it didn't matter. The dog had to go with us. Another problem we encountered was that the maids that clean the rooms bring their children to work with them. They feed them breakfast off of the guest breakfast buffet. We are talking plates of bacon!! No bacon was left on the buffet but their 2 kids were eating it in the hallway on a makeshift bed they had for the kids. We will not return. For 15 dollars more a night we can stay at the Stay bridge where our pets are welcome and also have a full kitchen.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I reserved a Suburban Hotel through Choice Hotels and canceled the reservations via website. I received a cancellation email, however, I was still charged $152 by the hotel as a no show. Everyone is giving me the runaround because there's no cancellation number in the cancellation email I forwarded everyone. I will not be using neither services again and I am filing a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I was an elite member of their loyalty program who had not stayed with them for a period of about one year. I had 20,000 points that I was planning to use for a free stay. I made my reservation many months ago and was told that their complicated "rewards booking windows" meant that I had to make a normal reservation but then switch it over to a rewards stay closer to my actual planned stay. I followed their instructions to the letter, but when I went to use my points I discovered that they had not told me that my points were set to expire before their suggested date to use them! I contacted their customer service, rewards program, and even the Company CEO (Patrick Pacious) and was treated indifferently. They refused to take responsibility for their mistake or offer to make amends. I will take my business elsewhere! This company obviously does not care about their clients!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I’ve been a customer of this group since 2008 and have accumulated a good amount of points over the years. Yesterday I made a call in order to book a room, but after 10min on the phone and multiple attempts of the employee to confirm the booking, I was told that there is a system error and that I’d be called back with the confirmation number. This never happened. I called back a few hours later and re-booked the room and was told they’d send me an email confirmation. This never happened.

I downloaded their app, in order to view my booking, but had forgotten my account password so I had to call to reinstate my account and create a new password. This was handled well, but now my account states that I have 0 points and no bookings. Frustrating! Not a fan of Choice Hotel’s booking service and online system! I think that I will avoid staying at their hotels in the future, I've had fantastic experiences with Hilton & Marriott group hotels before without any such drama and frustration. I still don’t have any confirmation that the room I booked for tonight is actually confirmed.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Room was 132 and was horrible. Everything was so disgusting. Bad customer service and poor management. Reported to BBB. And on top of all the disgusting amenities they took my driver license and never returned it. Called front desk and manager and they are saying they don't have. Had to make police report and report them to my bank... Stay far away. I took pics of room that will be posted and reported them to Choice Hotel. Front desk clerk Jhale was sneaky and very rude...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Thanksgiving weekend we stayed at Quality Inn on Palm Bay Rd, in Melbourne Florida. We paid approximately $130.00 a night, I tried to book there again for the weekend of March 2, 2018 and was told the price is with a senior discount $227.00. This is outrageous, how does a price increase $100.00 in less than 3 months. We are Choice Rewards member and we didn't have enough points to use for a free night. They told us it is now 30,000 points per night. Amazing, in November it was 10,000 points.

It amazes me that on one of the busiest weekend of the year the price was lower. When I called to make the reservation the agent who tried to help was no help. When we travel we always stay at Choice hotels, guess that won't be happening any longer, I can get better deals with hotels.com. We have several trips planned for this summer so I will stay wherever I get the best price. Your advertising is so out of context, the lowest price is a joke. Botta Bing Botta Boom, What a joke. We did book a hotel for that weekend in March for 2 nights at half the cost of yours. Thank you very much for nothing.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Recently stayed at Mainstay Suites 640 Federal Blvd. in Denver for three nights. Extremely helpful and friendly desk staff. One of most pleasant experiences at a hotel. I have been staying in hotels for over 50 years and very seldom rate or review. Francesca and Jess at front desk made stay wonderful. Very nice hotel, clean comfortable, and amenities were first rate. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I made a reservation for 3 rooms for work travel, and had to call to cancel them when our plans changed a couple hours later. I called the hotel and explained the situation, and was assured that all charges were cancelled. Later on I discovered only 1 room had been cancelled, and I was charged as a no show for the other 2 rooms. I called the hotel (Quality Inn Pleasant View, TN) multiple times over the next 4 months, and was never able to speak to the manager. I was told the manager was not in and would call me back each time, which never happened.

I also called Choice Hotels customer service multiple times, who refused to help, left numerous messages for the hotel manager as well, and would not give me an email or recorded transcript of our conversations, or any other way for me to document my numerous attempts to resolve the situation. This is completely unacceptable behavior, and my organization will never use any Choice Hotel chain again. I plan to file a claim with my credit card company and take every recourse possible to hold this company responsible for their erroneous charges.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I stayed for five nights at a Choice Hotel in December that I booked myself through their website. The points for these stays were not reported, and I submitted an online form for missing points. When I looked at my account the following month the points were still not reported. So I took great pains to find a phone number and was connected to a customer representative who not only was giving me the third degree but whose English was close to impossible to understand. It was a frustrating call that did not resolve the matter. I can only conclude that their rewards program is a bait and switch, designed to get people to stay at their substandard hotels but who promise they do not intend to deliver upon.

Choice Hotels Company Information