3.6/5 (594 ratings)

About Choice Hotels

Choice Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

In March 2022 I made a reservation at 17 West Hotel in Tulsa Oklahoma, part of the Ascend collection using the CHOICE privileges website. I am planning on attending the NCAA wrestling tournament. On December 26, 2022 I was emailed that my reservation was going to be canceled. I was told that the hotel was booked to a private party. I was offered absolutely no assistance in obtaining any other hotel not even another choice property.

At the time of my booking in March 2022 there were several hotels with availability in the area. December 2022 had nothing within 6 miles available. I even asked the hotel manager if as a sign of their "sympathy" I could have access to their parking garage over my 3 day stay since I would now be forced to stay outside the city and be forced to rent a car. The manager's response was a simple "no". In the last 30 years of travelling all over the country with sports teams, I have had something similar happen only 1 time. The previous occasion was with a different hotel chain. That hotel moved my hotel outside the city to a sister hotel and covered the entire cost of the stay.

After the complete lack of concern from the hotel manager, I emailed the CHOICE customer service department. The response I received said "As you may be aware, Choice Hotels properties are individually owned and operated, and their management and ownership teams establish policies that must be followed ". So, CHOICE allows me to book a hotel through their website but takes NO responsibility for the actions of a hotel using their name. I was not expecting that my reservation status would change, however I was expecting some sort of customer service. We had a contracted reservation. The hotel broke the reservation and essentially told me that I have no choice other than to accept it and move on. Complete disregard for me, my time, and my options.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand how frustrating it is to have your reservation canceled at the last minute. My team and I would like to hear more of the story and review this for you as soon as possible. We kindly ask you to send us a private message with the hotel address, name on the reservation, and date of arrival. Also, please include your email address, phone number, and mailing address. We hope to hear from you soon.

Vilma

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

November, 2022 when entering the Quality Inn 169-173 Parramatta Road, Haberfield, N.S.W. I hit a curb that was constructed to nearly half across the driveway. Damage to vehicle over $900.00. The management do not want to pay for the damages. This curb is a danger to all vehicles entering the property.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Stan. We understand the importance of having this matter solved soon since your car was damaged. My team and I would like to assist further and report the situation. We kindly ask you to send us a private message with more details of the story, along with the name on the reservation and the arrival date. Also, please include your email address, phone number, and mailing address. We will be waiting for your message.

Vilma

Customer Care

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I went to do a reservation thru app using my points. An error was fine noticed after the confirmation of my reservation called right after. List my points my money 2 hours in the phone to cancel and change my reservation, I was hung up on, put on hold till I hung up. Then too say expired, can't cancel, took my money and my points. Now I have no points and took my money and cannot help me. 2 hours 3 different numbers was treated so badly and just left in the phone for a manager till I hung up. Not fair, worst customer service I have ever experienced. And they don't care, told me they couldn't help me. Will never use this app. I use them all the time for the horrifying customer service.

Choice Hotels response

Thank you for bringing this experience to our attention, Julie. I understand the importance of your points and money, and we are also committed to providing an excellent customer experience. At your earliest convenience, please reply in a private message with your full name, date of arrival, hotel's name, along with email address and phone number associated with your Choice Privileges account. I look forward to hearing from you so I can assist you further.

Josh

Customer Care

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Choice hotels in Johnson Creek Wisconsin refuses to give a refund even with Covid diagnosis. I called 10 days prior, 1 day after reservation was made. GM didn’t call me back, then said no refund will be given. Very wrong to insist on keeping your money even when you can’t travel due to illness. I will not stay with this brand after 7 years as a member.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Rita. We understand the inconsistencies you have been encountering while attempting to address this concern, and it does not leave a favorable impression on our brands. We'd love to further look into this for you. Please send us a private message with the hotel's location, arrival date, name on the reservation, and confirmation #. Also, please include your account number, mailing address, and email address. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Talk to you soon. -Fernando

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

My daughter and her 2 sons (2 & 3) were needing a room for one night. I called the hotel in advance to make arrangements to pay in advance. After receiving detailed instructions, I was told to go ahead and pay for the room from a staff member directly at hotel, although she was informed I was booking at choicehotels.com. She emailed a CC authorization while my daughter was already there waiting to check in. After I paid the “non-refundable” rate for the room, I got an email request from a different staff at the hotel requesting a $250 deposit. I didn’t have it! I had no way of paying the $250. When asking for the person I spoke with regarding the reservation I was told she left for the day (a ten-minute exchange). The hotel informed me that it’s posted in the lobby, as well as on all third-party websites about the $250 deposit.

I’ve booked the same hotel at least 30 times within the past few years and was NEVER asked for a deposit. When I told her there was no way for me to come up with the $250 she apologized and said she can’t allow my daughter and grandkids to check-in. She further said they WOULD NOT cancel and refund the money paid for the night even though she was not allowing us occupancy of the room! Initially, I was told that they could not charge my card without the CC Authorization!

They LIED! My card was processed and I NEVER submitted a signed CC Authorization! I can see if I paid in advance and never showed up! But I called in advance while my daughter was there, paid online and then they wouldn’t allow her access but won’t refund the money KNOWING this all took place within 10 minutes! Me and my family will leave Choice Hotels for making me feel like my kids were left out in the street. I begged them for a refund knowing that even if they did I could not use the money for another room because the transaction would be pending.

Choice Hotels response

Melany, it is disheartening to learn your family did not have a great experience with us. Our team is more than willing to assist you with this matter. To ensure you receive appropriate assistance with your case, we kindly ask you to send us a private message with the hotel address, confirmation number, date of arrival, and the name on the reservation. Moreover, include your email, address, and phone number. Regards, Grettel

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

On December 30, 2022, I scheduled a pick up at Skinner’s Auction in Marlborough, Ma and since it was nearly a 5-hour drive each way I decided to find a room nearby and take my time and enjoy a 2-day getaway. I am a Gold Choice Privileges Reward member so decided to use my points for a stay, and found a nearby Quality Inn in Worcester that seemed to offer what I needed and a hot breakfast to boot. Since I trusted Choice Hotels from previous experience I had no concerns in booking, until I arrived in the late afternoon. Even from the parking area, I could see that this 3 story building housed a questionable clientele, with balconies with the belongings of the homeless stored in plain view.

Entering the lobby it seemed like a low-end Motel that should have had a number in the name, but because of the time checked in. In short time while bringing in my things started feeling uncomfortable with the clientele milling around and no one speaking English. We locked ourselves in to a very sad room (Room 125 if you need to see) that was at least 50 years out of date. The place was in poor repair, the molding was coming off the wall, the fixtures rusty; but the beds were clean and no sign of bugs (but the smell of bug spray could give you a headache.) On waking I went to the Hot Breakfast, what a joke. The hot breakfast was packets of Instant Oatmeal without hot water. We packed up early so we could find a diner for breakfast.

Now our fear of robbery came true, not from outside but from the Desk. I was told that even though I had paid in full with my reward points I was liable for a $44 “convenience fee”. Of course, I knew this was a scam and provided documentation showing I had paid in full with points, but this wasn’t enough. We were held against our will and in complete humiliation until they could locate a General Manager and weren’t allowed to leave. After time passed and no General Manager showing up I just left, I wasn’t paying their “convenience fee” and believe me there was no conveniences.

On arriving home later that day there was an email from the General Manager with an invoice showing $0 balance. You would think that this would be enough, but I made the decision of advising Choice Hotels and Barclay Bank of my experience. This was an even worse experience. After multiple calls to their Customer Services in India after a total of 5 hours (mostly on hold) I eventually was given a Supervisor named Heider who was the most useless human I have ever dealt with. He could care less about our treatment, being held against our will, and being charged $44 convenience fee.

So please avoid this hotel, sleep in your car instead. Don’t expect any care or satisfaction from Customer Service at either Choice Privilege or Barclay Bank. Not all Choice Hotels are like this, maybe it’s just a sign of the times. All I can say is that I don’t plan on using my Barclay card to accumulate rewards. If you want verification my case number is ** at Choice Privilege for this incident, check it out.

Choice Hotels response

Also, send the mailing address, phone number, and email associated with your account. Talk to you soon.

Ray

CID: 11115757

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

We had an awful experience at this location. The manager harassed us from the very beginning. First, I was berated by him for not picking up the phone and calling for service correctly. Then he was trying to make me pay cash for the pet fee instead of using a card, I had booked on Priceline. I didn't want to stay after that, but my husband suggested we go to dinner and it would be fine. We got back after dinner and my autistic son took our dog out before bed the manager asked him for the room number. He didn't know. He just remembered which door it was. The manager proceeded to chase him and pounded on our door at 9:45 P.M. My husband was woken up and answered the door to have the manager ask if we had a pet, which he knew and we paid the pet fee. He then insisted my husband show him, my son. It was a very disturbing experience and we left immediately after. We did not stay the night and it has been impossible to get rectification.

Choice Hotels response

Mandy, the manager's actions get us startled. Not the service our guests deserve. Allow us to look into this; please send us a private message with the full name on the reservation, the arrival date, and the hotel's exact address, along with your mailing address, email, and phone number. Thank you. -Mei

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Choice Hotels is refusing to award points for our most recent stay in July. They claim that the reservation was made in my wife's name (we were both listed on the reservation) even though the reservation confirmation and reminder were made by and sent to me. During the pandemic, they were the only loyalty program that cancelled my points due to inactivity. I will be using other loyalty programs in the future.

Choice Hotels response

I am disappointed you have that impact on our rewards program, Keith. We care about our customers' loyalty and reward your preference with us for every qualifying stay. We want to address your concerns as soon as possible and review your account. We kindly ask you to send us a private message with more details, along with your email address, phone number, and mailing address. We will be waiting for your response. –Vilma.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

My recommendation is "NOT/Never to apply for the Choice Hotel Visa Card". Someone like me never gets the bonus points as they promised. I have been kicked around for a total of like 8-9 hours on the phone and on the email trail without any solution of my missed 28,037 bonus points.The Barclays Bank's Choice Privileges Visa Signature Card group wants me to call the Choice Hotel's Customer Service. And vice versa. The Hotel's Email Resolution Desk was also involved. It is really frustrating and exhausting for no one to take responsibility to serve their company's reputation on customer service.

Finally, one lady of the Barclays Bank issued a Case ** to investigate it. And she indicates to me it may take 30 business days to get an answer (I certainly hope that is the very simple right answer). However, I believe that the Bank can easily call the Hotel to verify it and re-issue the missed points into my Choice Hotel account.

The Barclays Bank that handles the Choice Privileges Visa Signature Card has sent me the monthly statements notifying me the following bonus points have been sent to my Choice Privileges account at Choice Hotel.
    (1) 1,196 points in August 2022
    (2) 26,042 points in September 2022, and

(3) 144 points in October 2022.

The Choice Hotel has shown that I only received 144 points in October.There are 28,037 (1,195 + 26,042) points missed. The Hotel's Email Resolution Desk says "...your choice privileges account is not linked to your Choice Visa Card..." And, they want me to contact Barclays Bank. And, "They don't have access to the Barclays system information". Even though I have sent them the copy of Barclays' monthly statements with the transfer of the points. Or, they can just call the Bank to verify it. However, I believe that they have the authority to easily credit my missed points.

Choice Hotels response

We are extremely disappointed to hear about all the inconvenience caused, Ying. It is our goal to restore your confidence with Choice Hotels. My team and I would like to take a look at your account. Can you please send us a private message with your full name, address, email, and phone number? We'll be waiting for your reply. -Grettel

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Jesus the reviews are ridiculous! The hotel condition is not bad. It’s just that firstly, people have to be living on first floor here. We arrived. Nobody there but we’re given a second floor room. No elevator. Processed smell throughout hotel. About 3:00am were awoken by truck with loud exhaust. Guy was in truck for 30 minutes then left but returned around 4am. Someone living there making a drug run? Remember this is Rock Hill. Breakfast was all processed food. Waffle machine CLOGGED but front desk fixed and waffle was gross tasting. Took a prepackaged breakfast sandwich that was expired 2014. See photo. It smelled and tasted like body odor. Beds and rooms not bad but I would never stay here again.

Choice Hotels response

Hi, Michael. I’m saddened to learn of the problems you encountered with the staff, breakfast, smell, and overall room conditions. We'd like to look into this for you. When time allows, please send us a private message with the hotel's location, arrival date, name on the reservation, anda confirmation number. Also, if you are a member of Choice Privileges, please include your account number, mailing address, & email address. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Fernando