1.47/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

463 Choice Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This is the second time I have ran into issue with the Choice rewards point website and it has caused me and my fiancé so much grief that I am honestly fed up with how their points system is ran and continues to have technical issues. I tried to buy points on your system with it saying it didn’t go thru, I tried multiple times thinking it might have been human error with card numbers and such and then come to find 4 pending transactions on my account totaling $250 when no transaction actually went thru and now I am suppose to wait days until my funds for something that never went thru because of their website issues is unfair.

This is not ok, it has made my whole experience miserable and now I have holds on my card which there shouldn’t be anything pending if it never went thru. I am truly upset over this and when I called about all the charges was assured by a manager that it would be taken care of and still to no avail. I have the charges still pending.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been a loyal Choice Hotels member since 2006. Today this has been the worst experience I have ever dealt with. I booked a room online 2 months in advance. My bill for the room was $157. When I got to the hotel at Rodeway Inn they charged me $300. When I showed Rodeway Inn my reservation and how much I should be charged they told me it was not my problem it was Choice Hotels' problem. Call Choice Hotels. They figured out there was a problem. They even called Rodeway Inn and they said they are not going to give me my money back. It was Choice’s problem. We had no other place to go at that time so we had to stay and check in and when we got to our room it was nasty. Sheets not cleaned. We called the front desk. They sent in a maid and all they did is try to scrape it off with their hands. We had to ask the maid, “Can we please just get new sheets” and it was like a problem to give us new sheets.

Call Choice Hotels that day to find out regarding about getting my refund. Their member service called Rodeway Inn and they still did not vouch set amount of money for the refund. Choice Hotels member told me that they have to have to override it and it should be taking care of on The day we check out. Today is the day we check out and Rodeway Inn will not give us a price that we were given and Choice Hotels now is stating because I updated my credit card that was on file, due to its expiring that's considered a modification so I cannot get the rate that was given to me. I was very disappointed with Choice Hotels. I'm in the military. I also have AAA and not once did the hotel allow me to get that rate at all.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've been a loyal customer of Choice Hotels since 2008. I've probably stayed at hotels 14-20 nights per year with my family. Unfortunately, I make reservations months in advance and pay at that time. The hotel in which I made a reservation, was affected by a hurricane. Choice Hotels called leaving a message that I would have to cancel. Upon returning their phone call, I was given the runaround for almost 2 hours just for them to reassure me that by the time of my visit everything would be fine and they were unsure of who that contacted me. Well fast forward to the day of check-in. I was told that they have no record of or access to my reservation, so I would have to pay again. And I was instructed to call Choice Hotels for a refund.

I immediately called after getting to the room. On the phone over a hour, just for Choice Hotel to put blame on their hotel. They were to contact the General Manager to cancel my most recent stay and reimburse me within 3-5 business days. Which on my account, it does show the cancellation. I called a week later to confirm how much longer it would take for me to receive my money. I was then told there was no refund initiated and it would take 7-10 business days. Well it's now been almost a month since my stay at the hotel and still no refund. I'm really close to contacting an attorney and as well as they will lose my business for good. Because I refuse to pay twice for one reservation, totaling almost $800. Disappointed is an understatement at this point.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I saw a Choice brand hotel I wanted to stay in and called for a reservation. The price was 119$. Priceline had the same room and hotel for 71$. I spoke with a rep from Choice regarding this (Janet). She told me to make the Priceline reservation as they could not beat or match the price and I would be given a 50$ payment because they could not beat the price. I was transferred to Edwin in member services to facilitate the reimbursement. He said he can’t do it. Transferred me to his supervisor who just hung up after being on hold for 25 minutes. Avoid this as it is a total scam.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

There was a promotion to stay two night then earn a $50 dollar gift card. Choice Hotels didn't honor their promotion. After several month calls and emails they just give you some points which is useless. The customer service is bad. They just didn't reply your email sending to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Hotels?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My husband and I live in Conway, SC and our chime was flooded by Florence. We have been living in our motorhome beside the house while the house is being put back together. Our motorhome toilet has now broken and we are living with a horrible odor, the repairman won't be able to come until Tuesday to hopefully fix the problem. We called the Comfort Inn at the University to book a room for several nights as we need to be close to home to work with the contractor for replacement paint, flooring, etc and wanted to be close by. We were informed by this hotel that they do not accept reservations from people living in Conway, SC. We were stunned. Hurt upon hurt. No home, broken toilet in motorhome, and obviously living in Conway, SC is detrimental to your hotel. This is wrong and I would strongly suggest avoiding this hotel. Who knows, your state might be next.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Upon check-in, the hotel staff was very nice and professional. Even went through a great deal of effort to be accommodating when the amenities malfunctioned and we began to smell smoke at the "smoke free" hotel brand. We were moved to another room, but then the cable didn't work, the microwave went out and so did the refrigerator. We were given a free night stay for our troubles, and extended our stay. The breakfast was good and the person in charge was kind and professional.

All seemed well until a staff illegally obtained my credit card information to place a security hold on a future reservation. This action was completely unnecessary as I booked the hotel with my card through the member services account to secure my next stay. I also found out that he charged my card for the free night I was given. I would like to think that a professional business would want to handle this matter quickly and efficiently, but both the hotel and Choice rewards member services made more efforts to cover up and justify as well as lie about the actions taken. Everyone has been avoiding to handle the matter. It appears we will be moving on from this to something better.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I made a room reservation on November 8th 2018 for my husband to go spend the night when he got back in town. He went to check in but he couldn't because he doesn't have his bank card with him. So I called the Econo Lodge (715 W North Temple Salt Lake City, Utah) to pay it & the hotel couldn't do it too. They want me to show up with the card in person or call CHOICE HOTEL to *PRE-PAID" directly the room & because I'm a hour and a half away from Salt Lake. So I called the CHOICE HOTEL to prepay the rooms. An agent put me on hold for 20 minutes while doing it. Came back & said, "It's done." When I called the hotel back, they couldn't find any "prepayment" on the reservation. It was 4 hours & 10 Service Agents total spending on the phone with Choice them but NOBODY can do something to help us.

My husband was really sick & wanted to take some rest but these people could even do anything to put into a room. So, I end up telling the last Agent to "GO AHEAD & CANCEL the reservation because WE DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE." And guess what? Today is the is Nov 14th, we check our Bank Statement, and this ECONO LODGE HOTEL CHARGED us with $40.45. I called the Econo Lodge & they said, because I didn't showed up. I told them, "My husband was there on Nov 8th to check in & you guys told him, he can check in because he doesn't have the card with him. So the hotel manager transfer me to CHOICE HOTEL AGAIN. Choice Hotel agent came & I told them what happened." After putting me on hold for a while he came up & said, "Sorry but we don't have any record of you canceling your reservation."

I told him, I told the last Agent who I had talked to, to cancel the reservation but instead, "She completely ignored what I told her & now it cost me money." Another agent came & he said he's an active floor manager. Said, "Sorry we can't do anything because your reservation wasn't cancel." Now me starting to piss off because they kept saying the same thing & none of them take this matter into consideration & realized that the agent who help me last forgot to cancel the reservation upon request & did not do her job. I ask this so called manager, "Are you aware of what your agents are doing to the clock?" He said yes. I told him, "NO, YOU'RE NOT. BECAUSE THE HOTEL JUST CHARGE ME BECAUSE CHOICE HOTEL AGENT *FAILED* TO CANCEL MY RESERVATION."

What's worst is, we're a CHOICE HOTEL Gold member & we're one of their valuable customers and we had/have been doing business with them for a long time. Now deactivating our account with them. We rather go & do business with people who really care, listen & know what their customers wants. Lucky they have a star which is they don't deserve to have a star from me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Made a road trip to Las Vegas... Stayed exclusively at Choice brand hotels at El Paso, Phoenix, Gallup NM, Lubbock Tx. Out of all these hotels the one at Lubbock was the best. Seemed like a new property, clean and a good breakfast. The other three weren’t that good... It seems that some of the other names under the Choice Hotels are of course franchises that are not “inspected” by Choice. The hotel in Gallup for instance needs to be closed, old, stank, AC didn’t work properly, etc.

One would think that if the parent company allows a franchise to carry its name, that the parent company would occasionally inspect the property to ensure that the property is meeting Choice standards. Of course that if Choice has standards! As I said, with the exception of Lubbock the rest were disappointing. Note to Choice, please don’t try to give me “points” for this review! Actually, I would at this point not consider staying at one of your properties again... I do have “choices!”

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I booked a hotel room from a Choice Hotel for December today. I was afforded an opportunity to consider an offer for a 4 day 3 night or 8 day 7 night trip in 17 different locations after I made my booking. There was a gift Mastercard offer for $150.00 as well for the amount of the trip which means I would literally only be paying $1.00 for this special offer. I needed to pay $149.0 today. After listening to the promotion I was asked to give her a credit card number. When I asked why she needed a credit card number since I had not agreed to the promotion, the Representative became irritated and rude.

I stated that I was not a "frequent flyer with Choice Hotels." She smugly corrected me by saying "frequent flyer" is a term used for airlines not for hotels. Well she literally lost me for sure with that comment. I told her I like to use the term the way I used it and I do know the meaning. This offer was too good to be true and her demeanor made it evident that something about this offer would have me regretting pursuing it. Now I never will pursue it. My research after the fact shows me that some folk have gotten burned with this too good to be true offer!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchased a total of 6,000 + 1500 pts yesterday to book a room. Normally, when I purchase point the points are applied INSTANTLY! This time it did not happen so I was unable to book the room I needed. I called Customer Service. They gave me the runaround, told me my points would appear within 24 hours and I STILL haven't received my points. I called them back, they said they still could not do anything, and then told me it could take up to 48 hours! 48 hours is NOWHERE in the fine print of the contract. I have contacted my lawyer, recorded all conversations, and will file a suit. Choice is scamming loyal customers out of money and offering no refund. I am a Platinum Member and this is EXTREMELY unacceptable!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Points.com who processes points and payments through ChoiceHotels.com has in limbo 400.00 of my money. No points provided, it has been 2 weeks and no refunds, charges are in limbo pending and no one can return my money nor can anyone contact Points.com. Choice Hotels does not provide a resolution just a simple you must wait and see game. I see from others that this is a constant issue. Consumers purchase points to be advised their credit cards fail only to still have the money taken and no goods provided. And you cannot get the money back BECAUSE Points.com does not have a customer line just voice and no one calls you back. I'm out of 400.00 dollars and zero points. This company is a scam and is committing theft.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Updated on 10/25/2018: Although I have not finished resolving my previous complaint with Choice, I did want to return to give a separate general review that does not focus on the issue at hand. As a member with Choice, I can say it is my 1st preferred hotel chain, but in certain markets... Choice does not have properties in the immediate downtown/lively areas of a few large cities, which leaves me at times booking through a similar chain... which I can say at times does not always live up to the expectations, so I stick with Choice more often.

I can say Choice has been a very handy company with the rewards points Biggs and savings for fuel. There’s been times I’ve saved 60 cents per gallon because I’d accumulated Choice Fuel Rewards points. And as someone who puts in a lot of miles, it’s been very helpful. I also can say their hotels, whether Quality Inn or Comfort Inn and even some Rodeway Inns have been impressive and comfy. I used to book mainly thru a 3rd party website for my hotels, and get 2.5 to 3.5 star hotels with upscale brands, but Choice has affordable rates and their hotels can be on par with the H and M’s of the hotel industry... without the expensive prices and fluff of room service, restaurants and all that jazz. I now appreciate a quiet hotel that I can get in and get out, without the production. But I still want the space, cleanliness and big screen TVs. And Choice Hotels has that.

I know not everything is Choice’s “fault” as a company, but the reason why I’m docking a star off is because I do feel some of their policy and ways of handling customers at their hotels needs to improve. The hotels are fine, the member perks are fine, but their “roadblocks” can be irritating. Just like today, I need a shuttle to the airport. But my flight is at 4 pm and the hotel shuttle stops running at 12 pm, and again at 5 pm. I normally never need a hotel shuttle anyway... but when I do, I don’t want limitations. They also only go to and from the airport. Years ago I stayed at a hotel and the shuttle took me to Walmart and anywhere within a 3 mile radius. I needed to do the same yesterday, but the front desk said it could only do airport and back.

Also, more Choice Hotels are holding deposits when checking in, even when booking with points. I had waited nearly 3 weeks for 1 hotel to refund $50 in incidental fees... after making 2 trips to the hotel after I checked out. I feel if I’m a diamond member, there shouldn’t be a requirement for me to deposit for a room. I also get tired of the ridiculous, “because if you smoke or damage the room”. Ummm... I’m asthmatic and I’m sure damage to the room will cost more than $25-50.

Purchasing points can be a great buy and has actually been beneficial on several occasions. But I feel they need to look into ways it can post faster, or have some other system of doing so. Seems like it is a 3rd party adding the points. Until then, I may stick with my accumulated and bonus points for booking rooms, versus purchasing them. Also with pets: this chain is not most welcoming for them. At one point couple years ago, I traveled with a pet and I almost needed to give up Choice in order to avoid fees and penalties for having a pet in the room.

Prices: I usually come by good rates, and considering you’re likely to get something remodeled, renovated or new... I can understand it’s not always going to be “cheap”. But in some cities, their prices can get crazy. I was in Pittsburgh once, there was a hotel in the same parking lot that was $60. Comfort Inn wanted $100+. Other cities have been that way also, $150/200 for Quality and Comfort Inns.

Check out times: They say up to 2 pm for rewards members. This is rarely ever honored. Even after 12 pm is rarely honored. They need to allow later checkout times for members with status, and just in general. Most of the hotels have 11 am checkout. I prefer 12 or 1 pm. But overall, if you don’t have pets and can appreciate a comfortable room without needing the extras that the other hotels make you pay for, Choice is a great chain to be with. I just wish they change some things to make it better.

Original Review: I have been a diamond member and member with Choice for over 5 years. I recently purchased 5,000 points to add to existing points so that I could stay at an airport hotel after missing my flight for the day (it’s a 4.5 hour drive from where my parents live to the airport, and I didn’t have much time to coordinate the distance). In the past, I’ve purchased points with Choice before and it would credit immediately to my account. However, I did that today and nothing arrived to my account. I waited an hour, then 2 and longer. Nothing. I spent 1.5 hour talking with customer service and membership benefits trying to sort out why my points had not posted to my account. EACH TIME I WAS ON HOLD ANYWHERE FROM 30 MINUTES TO 45 MINUTES.

In the end, I got nothing accomplished. I had begged them to add the points to my account and reverse the “pending” ones later. They couldn’t do that. I told them I was stranded because I missed my flight and had no transportation. Nothing. I also told them it wasn’t fair. I had spent $55 on points with the expectation of having a place to sleep for the night, only to get told they are in limbo pending somewhere in outer space.

Meanwhile it’s cold, I’m having asthma problems because I’m outside, sleepy, late on returning my U-Haul truck (the plan was to stop at the hotel, return my U-Haul nearby, and catch the airport shuttle out the next afternoon). Yet I have NOWHERE TO GO TONIGHT and Choice Hotels DOESN’T GIVE A DAMN and does nothing to accommodate diamond members. I am highly appalled at how they’ve handled this, and I do intend to be seeking damages from this company as not being denied a room with the money I paid is causing me to have health issues and loss of sleep that I’ve already been deprived of for several days.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I called Choice Hotels customer service to modify our stay. We decided to travel further down the road that evening and was within time to cancel without penalty. Rebooking our stay at another hotel increased the price of our room to $172... Had I canceled and re-booked through the app, I would have been able to book the room for $127. They would not honor the price difference. I was then transferred to a sales rep for a special that was being promoted for Choice Ascend Hotels. After politely listening to the offer, I declined. I was harassed by the sales rep who put great pressure on me. I had to finally hang up on her.

The hotel we stayed that evening was Comfort Suites in Smyrna, TN. The room was very dirty. The tub bottom was black with dirt. The carpeting was dirty and there was debris all over. There was a lot of hair from previous guests in the bathroom. I also woke up with bug bites. I called Choice Hotels and was told they could do nothing. I spoke with the manager on-site and emailed the general manager and I was only offered a 1000 point compensation towards my next stay by the on-site manager. I was never contacted by the general manager of the hotel. I will never use Choice Hotels for my stays again. There are too many other nice hotels to choose from. I'm so disappointed!

Resolution response: Nov. 29, 2018

I did contact Executive Guest Services and was very pleased with their response. They listened, objectively reviewed the evidence, acknowledged the error and refunded the associated reservation that was wasted. I'm still a Choice customer, although Comfort Suites Golden West on Evergreen Parkway is definitely no longer on my list of options.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I've just returned home from my son's wedding after a very unpleasant experience with Choice/Comfort Suites Golden West on Evergreen Parkway. In short, part of the reservations we made were not in the hotel's system when we arrived. We showed the desk clerk our printed confirmation and eventually ended up with the General Manager, Kathy **. Kathy's mindset was essentially, "when we have a problem like this, we always find that it is the guest's fault, and I'm doing you a big favor trying to help you out with this."

But, after prolonged discussion, showing her the printed confirmation and additionally pulling up the reservations online, her Assistant General Manager, Jackie **, volunteered to step in and did work to do her best to accommodate us. That effort, although unsatisfactory re result, was appreciated. The unpleasant stress of not having a promised room for friends coming to the wedding was bad enough. I think the problem lay somewhere in the interface between Choice and the hotel and don't blame the hotel much for that.

However, it was particularly annoying that Ms. ** was absolutely obsessed with trying to prove that we guests messed up the reservation. Even after we showed her: 1) our printed reservation confirmation, 2) the online reservation under Choice's "manage reservations," she refused to admit that the error was in their system. She said we should have looked at the email confirmation of the reservation because that was the only thing that mattered. I told her that we did, we saved it and I would send it to her when we got home, which I did. Her response was, "You, as the guest, may interpret the situation as our fault, or as Choice's fault. Our team has put in too many hours, I'm sorry. We are unable to work with you anymore." I was flabbergasted with her "may interpret" after what I had shown her. Could it be interpreted any other way?

When we returned home from the wedding I also sent a complaint to Choice via their online customer service. The response I got from them was, "If you would like to contact Customer Relations directly, you may do so by calling (800) 300-8800." I haven't done so yet because I haven't built up the resolve to deal with what I expect to be further frustration. Needless to say we will never stay in a Choice hotel again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My wife and I booked a five night stay. On the second day, I reported a man that was drunk and in the hot tub. He had lined up his beer cans around the rim of the tub. He almost fell twice trying to get out. After I reported it, I was called rude by the front-desk clerk. After this, one of the drunken man's buddies taunted me to come see him in an aggressive manner. I spoke with three members of the management. The first two did NOTHING. The last one, watched the video recording, confirmed everything that I had said. He apologized for my inconvenience.

Because the people who were disorderly had a two-year reservation, they were allowed to stay and we were allowed to leave. No refund was give to us for the remaining three nights. I have made more than 12 calls to the 800-300-8800 number. For some reason, regardless of what phone I use, they cannot hear me or cannot help me. I have also sent out a dozen or more e-mails and have posted several times on your Facebook page.

I am now on hold with a woman name ANGELA. Angela has returned and has informed me that she will call me back either tomorrow or the next day. I asked her what time she would call me back so that I can be prepared for the call. She said, "I will call you back in 15 minutes to tell you when I can call you back." (I am not making this up.) Now, since no person from CHOICE has contacted me, I am assuming they will not. Unfortunately, this will involve criminal and negligent charges being filed. I was willing to let it go if someone would contact me. Now, in addition to the insult and injury, I have been billed for 5 nights instead of two.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

So I used Choice Hotels for first time. Cheapest rates. The day of the reservation, I get a call from the hotel and they wanted to confirm that I was coming and then asked the 3 digits on my credit card. I knew they couldn't do anything with that without the card number so I gave it. Same day... Bank calls me. Over 13 fraudulent charges. Over $1400 worth. Had to cancel card and will now have to dispute charges. Got to hotel and told the clerk what had happened and she said, "You used Choice Hotels" didn't you? ". Another customer had the same thing happen that very same day. Bottom line. Run.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I made a reservation for my family for the wrong date. Being a Choice Privileges member I called the customer support number and told them what was happening and the young lady told me she would cancel the reservation and find a hotel with dates needed and cancel original with no penalty. No problem cancelling both but now it is 3 weeks later and I was still charged for original reservation.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Their manager cussed me out. They promised they would compensate w/points. The agent said she could offer "1000" points. I asked her, what can I use it for? She said: "It is worth about $100." I said: "Oh so I can apply it for $100 towards a hotel?" & she said: "Yes." Come to find out 1000 points is NOTHING. Tried to escalate to a manager, "Dora", she said: "the agent was right, it is worth $100, you spend about $100 to get to 1000 pts." Told her, "This is not how the info was presented." She said because I accepted, the case was closed. DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING UNTIL YOU VERIFY. The agents will lie, verify everything before you accept anything. THEY ARE CROOKS!!! Asked to speak to manager's manager and she refused.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

They claim to price match lower cost websites but did not. I found lower price on Expedia and submitted a claim for the $50 they offer if a lower price is found but they said they could not find the lower price on Expedia. I paid $56.99 plus tax and Expedia is $54 plus tax. I know it is not much difference but they are the ones making the price match claim (if at least a dollar difference they will honor and provide a gift card). I sent their form in and supplied screenshots of the $54 rooms on Expedia. They said they could not find those rooms but they are available at that price and match the room I booked with them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I reserved a room using Points Plus Cash and cancelled after noting that the cancellation was "FREE". Instead of refunding the $75 I paid, Choice refunded my account with points. I ended up re-booking at a more expensive Choice hotel ($150/night) and did not use points because it did not provide any benefit. I have come to notice that the points do not get you very far, so I do not want more points. All I want is my $75 refunded. My husband and I travel frequently, and I will not stay at Choice Hotels anymore nor will I recommend their hotels.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Well... I've been in contact with the customer service at Choice Hotels, for about 2 weeks. One thing that haven't changed is "Every time I CALL" I get a different response. So on September 23, 2018, I called choice hotel's customer service, and filed an internal investigation on one of their agents, because I signed up with their fall promo "Stay 2 Nights, Earn a Free Night", and I received false info from their agent, and of course all of their phone calls are recorded.

So after speaking with a supervisor, I was told that the investigation would take 7-10 days, and I would receive a phone call/email, with the results of the investigation, and be compensated correctly if it's found that the agent provided false information. Well day seven arrived, and I called for an update, now this supervisor told me that the investigation would take 7-10 business days. Hmm you would think that the first supervisor would have known that. So now the 10th business day arrives, and it's around 3pm, and I've received no phone calls/emails, so I call their customer service, and was on hold for about 30mins, when an agent finally picked up the phone, then he tried to convince me that I didn't need to speak with a supervisor, and he could help.

Me knowing that's not the case, insisted on speaking to one anyways. So that was another 25-30mins of waiting on the phone when a supervisor picks up the phone, then puts me on hold saying that he needs to "dig a little more" into this. So that's another 15-20mins. Then he finally picks saying that "they need more time" on the investigation. We then go back and forth, him trying to tell me that they have until 11:59 pm (they are not even open at that time), to resolve the investigation, and me trying to explain that I was told I would have an answer on 10/05/2018. So about another 30mins goes by, and he says that he needs another supervisor on the phone, to make the resolve the case, and that he will call me back the following day 10/06/2018, at 4:00 pm Texas time.

He even says that if he doesn't have a result by the end of the day (10/05/2018) that he will make one the following day (10/06/2018). Well... At this point I knew that they had either found the recording, proving that I was told false info, and they were trying to bide time, or this company was truly living up the reviews on "ConsumerAffairs.com". Turns out it was both. Saturday comes, and it's 4:35pm, and I do not get any calls/emails about the result of this case. So I call, and that takes 30mins for an agent to pick up, then another 15mins to talk to a supervisor. When the supervisor picks up, she admits that they have closed the case, and did find that their agent provided false info. So at this point I'm thinking, final. All calls/waiting will pay off, and we can move on.

"LOL" nope, she then tells me that as a "favor" to me, she will add 5,000 point on my account. Now keep in mind that most hotels require at least 8,000 points to redeem a "free night", and those are the bad properties, btw, either way 5,000 points doesn't provide enough points for a free night. So I then break down, the number of stays on my account I qualify for (4 stays btw), then she tells me that even though Choice Hotel, lied to me, because 10 days has past, the system pulled my other stays together making me 1 stay short in order to earn a free night.

Now keep in mind I know that she is lying. So I explain that my 4 stays should 100% count on the promo, even though two of the stays was put into an investigation, so she finally sees my point and says, I have to "contact the backends" to see if I can resolve this, and I will give you a call back today (which was another lie, btw). She asks for my number, and clearly all of my info is right in front of her. I tell her my number then she hangs up. Well it's 8:22pm. And I've received no calls /emails. This is truly gutter trash behavior, and it's insane for a company to behavior as such. All of the reviews on this site seems spot on about this company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Stayed there for a week. Staff was great EXCEPT housekeeping! Poorly maintained rooms and stole items from luggage. I was there with a church group for 5 days. A few of us were missing items. My suggestion is to keep an Inventory of everything you packed and check your luggage on a daily basis. Management only says they will look into the matter. Doubt if they ever do. Take it upon yourself to make sure you are not violated as I was.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I’ve booked through Choice Privileges for 20 nights due to home renovations. I’ve purchased points through the website, the 1st 2 times I’ve purchased went through with no problem. Points automatically appeared on my account. The 2nd 2 times I never received my points which came to a total of $129.70. My funds have not been refunded. I purchased a total of 12000 points. They only gave me 1900 points as a 1 time courtesy which hasn’t helped me at all. Then also I tried using my points they awarded me along with the points I purchased was a total of 6000 plus $15. They have told me 2 different lies.

I have my bank statement stating that Choice Privileges charged me. I have 1 recent and they are telling the transaction failed. If that were so the funds should still be in my account. They don’t value their customers. They sent me an email regarding the transactions saying my account wasn’t charged but I have my receipt and bank statements. Do not purchase points through them. They don’t have a direct number you can call to see about your points purchased. It’s an automated system. The company is a complete scam.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had booked and paid for two rooms with Choice Hotels three months before my planned travel. The area I had planned on traveling to was struck by Hurricane Florence, and a few days later I received an email from Choice Hotels informing me that the hotel would not be operational by my expected visit date. They did not refund my payment. I contacted them on the phone and got the runaround from them as to how they could not answer about the refund as of yet, to give it a few days. It's a week later and I still have not been refunded and continue to get the runaround from this company. Their operations license should be revoked, they are nothing but crooks!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

0 rating if we could. We book hotel rooms 4 days a week. My husband and I have spent 2 days on the phone with Choice Hotels customer relations. We booked a hotel last month for a trip we are leaving for in 9 days. The hotel manager called us to cancel our reservation due to an overbooking glitch. I believe we have spoken to 7 employees, 4 hours reiterating the situation (even with a case #), still no resolution. Honestly, we should be getting paid for all the English lessons we've provided! Does anyone speak AMERICAN PLEASE! So disappointing.

Don't waste your time with this company. They don't have any qualms about not honoring their rewards program. They told us to go to the hotel because they have to honor our reservation. What a fiasco! We would spend the day driving around Boston trying to find a place to stay. There goes the tours we booked for that day. Does "sorry for the inconvenience" really cover that? They don't care if you actually have a room when you get to your destination. In fact, they just don't care. They also don't allow you to review them directly on their website. All reviews have to be submitted for review by them for approval before posting. It's more than apparent that this company leaves little to be desired. We have started a new hotel program and will not be looking back. Happy trails to you all. :)

Resolution response: Oct. 14, 2018

Our matter was resolved. Company got back to me quickly. We were given credit in choice points to use on our next booking with any choice hotel stay. We resolved our complaint also against Hotel Rates.com with whom we used online to book our room. Very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This was one of the worst experiences that I have ever had in a motel. Price gouging regarding paying up front on Hotelrates.com - knowing people were stressed about evacuating for hurricane Florence. We were overcharged and had to pay in full online in order to guarantee a room to stay in. Waited in lobby until check-in time. Coffee maker did not work. No DVD player in room. The telephone in room was not connected to service. Boasted about having HBO which was a lie. On the last night the remote was stuck on one channel...could not change channels on the TV itself. The freezer was frozen over. There was prostitution going on in the back of the motel...looked like regulars lived there on a permanent basis.

The pool was closed from the day we got there until the evening before we left. This was due to chemical problems. I realize that the office did all that they could regarding our bill. Our neighbors who also evacuated because of the hurricane were charged $ at 310.00 for 3 nights. Our bill for 4 nights was closer to $620. Now corporate offices will be getting a letter regarding this horrific experience. The BBB will be contacted and a complaint made to SC regarding price gouging. Bottom line, even though it is right off I-95 in Hardeeville, SC, you have better luck sleeping in your own car. This was from Sept. 12 thru Sept. 16, 2018...due also to a mandatory evacuation. Regarding the next hurricane, they will have to carry me out bodily.

Choice Hotels response

Dear Diane,

My name is Kari and I work with Kevin and Paula in the Executive Office for Choice Hotels.

I am sorry to hear of the experience you endured. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of Choice Hotels that we did not exceed your expectations.

I show Paula has sent you an email today regarding this matter. Please refer to that email for any further assistance on this case.

Best Regards,

Kari S.

Specialist II, Executive Guest Services

CC: 9220696

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I am having work done in my house, so I planned to stay at Quality Inn in East Haven Ct for 4 nights, I obtained a rate of $360 plus change for four nights. The people working on my house then said I might be able to go back to my house, so I only booked 2 nights. I am sitting in my Quality Inn room as I type this, I called the front desk to extend my stay, because as of now I can go back home Sunday AM, they want a higher rate now, so I called the 800 number and they also wanted a higher rate for the room I'm already in. I can't believe they would rather have me check out than give me the rate I already had. They said, "Sorry have a good night." I'm sorry too. I will never stay in a Choice Hotel again!!! I too was a long time user of Choice Hotels, not anymore! And that free night using points, never happened, what a farce.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

1st of all it started off on the wrong foot by being charged $4 more than my email confirmation stated. That should have been enough warning. Then within the 2 hours I was in the room I found someone else shorts behind the bathroom door and long hairs all on the shower walls. Which tells me the room wasn't cleaned properly, even if at all.

My 1st instinct was to ask for another room, but when in the lobby after hearing another guest asking for a room change due to unclean conditions I decided to check out since it appears that was common of their rooms. I was told I couldn't get a refund because now they couldn't rent the room to anyone else. The way I see it the room wasn't fit to be rented to me.

When telling this to the hotel GM he kept interrupting me without hearing my whole story, I said, "Dammit please just hear me out." (Yes I shouldn't have said that, but he wasn't listening, Then he said ** you and hung up. That was totally appalling.) When calling customer support franchise they weren't any help. So I would suggest staying away from Choice Hotels. Especially the one in Clinton SC... but with no remorse or help from corporate, I would suggest away from the whole brand.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I specifically stayed with Choice Hotels during business in the past year to take advantage of a rewards promotion that promised enough points for a $50 gift card with just a few nights. I accrued the points without problem, but never received a gift card. Initially I was told to wait 4-6 weeks. Then I was told it wasn't their problem. There's no tracking number, and I haven't received any mail from them. It's unclear if they actually dispatch rewards, and considering they doubled the point requirements for gift cards recently it seems likely they weren't happy with how many people sought redemptions and fudged the whole thing, knowing that they were technically not liable for things "lost in the mail". They won't restore the points or cancel the gift card and aren't particularly gracious about any of this. Stick with another hotel chain.

Choice Hotels Company Information