2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

2.2/5 (752 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: May 20, 2021

Booked via Justfly; CarTrawler is horrible - Do Not Use. Gave them my family's flight info and called for the shuttle when we our flight arrived at the airport. They cancelled my rental and never refunded me, had to rent from another company at the airport. Do not use CarTrawler.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I rented a car from CarTrawler through Alaska Airlines not knowing it was a third party App. I showed up to the rental desk after flying from Seattle to Salt Lake City and when I got to the counter, the gal at the desk informed me my driver's license was expired. I had just received my new one in the mail and apparently put the old one back in my wallet and not the new one. My sister was with me and had a current driver's license and credit card and Thrifty/Dollar said we could not rent the car on that particular rental because it was in my name even though we were traveling together.

We tried to contact Alaska Airline Cars and there is no easy way to find the number on the website, so I went through the AA site and notified them with our booking number which directed me to Car Trawler. The actual chat with Car Trawler asked me if I picked up my car and when I said no, support asked if I needed more help and answered for me "No, Thank you" and then locked me out of the chat. I have been spending the last two days online and finally on the phone with 5 different associates and they all say the same thing we can not refund your money. The site actually answered for ME and marked the case as resolved, closed and then locked me out of the help and support portion.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Absolutely terrible company. Please do not book anything with them. Their refund policy is atrocious, see for yourself. Do not be fooled if they offer $10 less than Priceline/Expedia/Etc. Save yourself a lot of hassle and headache that comes with dealing with CarTrawler. Properly canceled reservations. Take over a month to give you a refund, why? I was refused a car for pick up because I had a temporary ID from a state that I recently moved to. Cartrawler would not issue a refund even though their terms say that a valid temporary ID is acceptable and they marked me as a "no-show" even though I was physically at the car rental place and denied a vehicle.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I rented a car through CarTrawler using Hopper. We were suppose to have rented a vehicle for Hawaii, however when we rented it, it said we had rented a car in LA. So we had to make completely different plans for a vehicle, last minute. On the same day I tried to cancel my original RSVP through Trawler and was denied any help in a refund or even a partial refund. No services were rendered, and I canceled immediately once we resolved our original situation. Never again. I will never use this company and will tell my network of thousands.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I rent cars frequently and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. I booked a hotel through Hotel.com and they had a link to a good deal (so I thought) on a rental car. The price was good so I booked and payed up front as required. When I arrived in Houston, we took the shuttle to the car rental company, Hertz, only to discover that my car had been booked in League City 16 miles away.

After 45 minutes of trying to get it straightened out with Cartrawler, to no avail, we had to take a 30 dollar Uber to pick up the car. When we got to Hertz in League City, there was no one at the office. We called and then waited another 30 minutes for the guy to arrive. During the pickup process, the Hertz rep, who was aggravated that he had to leave where ever he was and come to the office so I could pick up my car, gave me no paperwork on the car. Did not go out and inspect the car. Simply gave me the keys and told me to click the fob to see which car in the shopping mall parking lot was my rental. This was 3 hours after landing. The car we rented died on us at least 10 times while driving it. We were unable to get a hold of anyone to see what could be done and just crossed our fingers that it would start back up each time.

When I took the car back, of course no one was there. Left the keys in the drop box and took a 40 dollar Uber back to the airport. After returning home, I discovered that there was an extra 66 dollar charge on my credit card. I filled the car with gas and cleaned the inside before returning so I have no idea what the extra charge is for. I had already paid for the car when I booked the rental. I have no receipt from Cartrawler, or from Hertz. My great deal on my rental ended up costing me 166.00 over the original amount that I paid due to the Ubers I had to take to pick up the car and get back to the airport, and to the unknown charge. I will NEVER use this company again. It is deceptive, unable, or unwilling, to fix their mistakes at the cost of their customers, and far more expensive than just renting straight from the rental company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I purchased a car insurance and reserved a rental car with CarTrawler, MEX rental car refused to proved me with the rental car because what I was charged by CarTrawler was too low and the insurance was not accepted by the rental place. I called the insurance company to get a reimbursement and they did reimbursement without problem. CarTrawler until now refuse to reimburse what I paid for the rental car I never got. I don't recommended this scam website at all.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

DO NOT book with CarTrawler. I cancelled my booking on Sep 9th thru Hotel.com. It said it will take 20 business days to get the refund. But until today Oct 5th, I still cannot get that, and I have no way to contact Cartrawler. No customer service contact on their websites. No phone number can call even you willing to spend money on international call. And car rental prices are very expensive, they will charge you full insurance by not getting your consent. This is my first time to use this company and will be last time - no more.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Do not use this overpriced scam of a service. I booked a car hire service to take me from the airport from my return flight with Emirates. I did not realize how much more expensive this was from taking an UBER as they listed the price in euros. After they charged my card I went to cancel the booking after 9 minutes (which is how long it takes for you to figure out where to go on their badly designed website). Because my pick up was less than 24 hours (19 hours to be exact) they took my money, cancelled my booking, and rejected my request for refund. DO NOT USE. They took my money, I did not receive the service, and there was no resolution or refund from them. Please stay away from these scammers.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I made a booking in Mar 2020 and due to the current situation I cancelled by booking on April 15. As of today, July 22, 2020, the company is still playing Mickey Mouse games with me to refund my money. One excuse after another. You are talking about dishonesty at a systemic level. I have sent so many emails and communicated with so many of their customer service reps, but they are all the same. They appear very sympathetic. Do not be fooled. There will be no action. They simply play games with you. Think one million times before you book with these cheaters. I understand these are testing times for all companies, but this does not justify the deceit and the lies. I have received over 10 emails from them apologizing for the delay. It would have taken them a fraction of the time to actually refund my money, but as I said the intention is simply not there.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I cancelled my booking ** on 16/3/20 due to Covid 19 and received confirmation of this cancellation. In the cancellation confirmation it was mentioned that it will take 10 days to process the cancellation but Cartrawler still charged my credit card for the amount of 368.42 eur. I have been trying to contact them by phone and email, which seems to be impossible. I did find a chat system where a ´Hadeer´ informed me on 30/3/2020 that the refund can actually take up to 20 days which would mean that I should receive the refund latest 5/4/2020.

On the 8th of April I contacted Cartrawler again through the chat and a ´Stephanie´ informed me that a refund can take up to 25 days. So, suddenly there is a change again in your refund process which, by chance, means that I should have the money refunded into my account the latest 9/4/2020. Long story short, we are now many emails, phone calls and other contacts further. Today is the 12th of July 2020 and I am still waiting for my refund of 368.42 eur. Please, is there someone that can help me???

CarTrawler Company Information