2.1/5 (773 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: March 17, 2022

I am appalled at the lack of compassion and customer service by CarTrawler. I will never use them again. Our cruise came in late due to weather making it impractical to use the rental car. I called Dollar Rental and they said for trip interruptions like this it would be a full refund, but I would need to call CarTrawler.

I called CarTrawler and was told too bad that since I didn’t cancel 24 hours out I don’t get a refund even though they were receiving a full refund from Dollar. It’s pretty bad when dollar rental car will reimburse the full amount because of my trip delay. But they keep all the money and will not give any back. I explained this to the individual and all he said was yes that is correct. That is the worst customer experience I have ever received. They’re anything but customer oriented.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I made a car rental reservation with Alaska Airlines rewards program & they use Cartrawler 1.5 months in advance. I prepaid w/ Visa debit & was charged w/ promises of no added fees. When I arrived to Hertz they said I have to pay w/ credit card only & they refused to give me a refund or honor the rental charges I was given. They told me I had to call AK Airlines. I did. Then AK Air told me to call Cartrawler. Well the person at the other end told me that yes they only take credit cards & I should've read the fine print! It accepted my visa debit, when it should've declined! Cartrawler or Hertz should've emailed me & told me so. Or since they don't accept debit cards-why did it not decline when the charges were applied! I will get my bank to get that $ back cause as long as I have proof I was charged twice they will get my money back!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Rented my car from Alaska Airlines website, assuming this was a reputable company. At the time of purchase, there was nothing to indicate that the voucher did not include rental taxes and fees (like other 3rd party vendors such as Hotwire). What a surprise that my $649 rental became an $897 rental. Even when I asked CarTrawler to investigate, they didn't state that their voucher/price didn't include taxes and fees. It was only when I called Thrifty that they explained that to me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Booked through Alaska Airlines for a car in Detroit. Upon arrival the company they booked me with had discontinued operations in Detroit over 6 months prior. CarTrawler Rep said to just get alternative transportation and they would refund the cost. When I returned from the trip and filed for a reimbursement, they denied it saying I needed a transcript of my conversation with the car rental desk in Detroit; the one that did not exist. Very disappointed that Alaska Airlines brands this as "Alaska Airlines Cars" but it you call Alaska they say they can't help. BTW, the reps were also rude and insulting. Worst experience with any company ever.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I made a car rental reservation through Emirate's website while booking my trip. I was thinking, Emirate Airway booked my car from third party, but I receive a confirmation email from CarTrawler. Few days later, I received a WhatsApp Msg asking for my Passport, DL and other legal documents. My entire travel history, no one ever asked me for all these docs well before car pick up, it’s always over the counter. I though it is spam and ignored it. The booking was made including pick up from airport to location. In their, pick up policy, I must inform about my arrival, so they arrange pick.

During Covid-19 time all domestic and international flight’s schedule were uncertain, so we decided to contact once we land to destination. When I landed and call for a pickup they couldn’t find reservation, after lengthy discussion, they were able find reservation, and told us someone will be there shortly. We waited for 2+ hrs and no one show up for to pick up. I called again, they inform me to come to pick up location to get rental, I denied and ask them to cancel reservation. They didn’t cancel the reservation and charged me for 4 days rental. When I dispute the transaction with my CC company, CarTrawler issue no refund based on their "No Show" policy. If they have responsibility for pick up, how come it’s No Show? They are cheating people in name of “POLICY”.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I write this review, weeks after the actual experience. Mainly to inform others that CarTrawler is NOT a Rental Car service, nor do they have any Cars to rent. After a thorough review of their business history, it is clear that CarTrawler is not at ALL, a service but instead a Reservation Middle-man. I give them 1 star, because I can't give them any less. On Nov 15th 2021, my father in Washington was displaced by the flooding that happened in NE Washington. He lives in Sumas which is about 2hr drive from Seattle. On November 18th my father contacts me to tell me he isn't doing so well, which prompts me to book a flight and a rental car through Alaska Airline's website. In the process of booking my flight, I am offered a "convenience" service to book a rental car. Normally I would book directly through Enterprise Rent a Car service, but took the opportunity for a cheaper discounted "voucher" service through Alaska Airlines portal.

On Nov 20, I book everything, and given a Reservation Voucher number for a Thrifty Rental Car service. What I hoped would be a simple and straight forward process. On Nov 22nd, I land in Seattle, everything go fine so far. I prepaid for everything, food, seat, and car rental. However once I arrived at the Thrifty Rental kiosk, I am presented with "we are sorry, but your voucher did not come through". In which I was informed that I would need to pay the total amount of my reservation, and that the voucher wouldn't actually pay for the service until AFTER I've returned the vehicle. This to me was nearly an additional $800 on top of my prepayment of $350+ (fees, and such).

Since CarTrawler wasn't actually a service, Thrifty did not rent me a vehicle. Leaving me stranded in Seattle for the evening, having to book a hotel room on my dime. Nov 22, 10pm, Alaska Airlines customer service informs me, that I did not book a rental through them. But through a third party service provider. CarHire =/= CarTrawler. Nov 23rd, I contact CarTrawler customer service to be informed that what happened to me, is unique and that they will have to review my case over the next 20 days. Nov 23rd, I go ahead and contact the insurance provider that I paid $88.00 to cover my rental, only to be informed that my situation wasn't covered since I did not receive a rental car through CarTrawler. Essentially telling me that CarTrawler isn't a car rental service but a booking service and my insurance payment wasn't covering anything.

Nov 25th, I contact CarTrawler service again, to inquire about a refund or to cancel my booking due to the missed pickup date. CSR (customer service rep) tells me again, nothing they can do, but give me a reference number to my complaint. Dec 1st, After dealing with my fathers situation, I am without any refund. and I receive a email from CarTrawler asking me to describe the situation to them. I detail this story, in similar words only to be told I will have to wait their 20 days to review my complaint. Dec 15th, I receive a email from CarTrawler asking me to provide them bank statements, photocopy of my debit/credit cards used, and pretty much saying there will be another 20 day delay in reviewing my case. At this point, I have already returned my Enterprise Car Rental, and have helped my father in obtaining a new vehicle to drive with. So at this point I don't need any rental services.

Since the email on the 15th was essentially asking for a photocopy of my credit card/debit. this raised red flags. ALL STOP. At this point, just file a dispute or a chargeback with your financial institution. CarTrawler has absolutely no intention on refunding the voucher reservation costs. If you paid any additional costs to insure or protect your "voucher" purchase, you would have pretty much paid CarTrawler's $57 cancellation fee. At this point I sent CarTrawler multiple emails describing the situation, only to be told there is nothing they can do. CarTrawler is NOT a car rental service, they do NOT have cars, but they are ONLY a reservation/booking service, pretending to be part of the company you used to reserve through.

A brief history of CarTrawler shows the company has been sold multiple times in the past four years alone, as a business investors group. They make their money off of the fees, and forgotten refunds to help drive up their profitability. Again, I warn anyone NOT to ever book your services through any 3rd party company like CarHire or CarTrawler. I should have known it was a scam back in Nov 20th, because my financial institution locked my payment card when I initially reserved my rental. I had later on realize that CarTrawler is based in Dublin Ireland. It is NOT an American company. I am copying and pasting my review across various consumer reporting services. Considering since actual reviews from people are negative... any positive review is suspect.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I thought I rented a car through Budget, but apparently it was through Cartrawler as a third party. On the website it was not clear that you needed a credit card to rent a card, but this information was written in an email right after I had pre-paid. I did not have a credit card, so I called the company immediately to cancel. I was then told by the man on the phone that I would get a full refund since I cancelled within 24 hours, and that he would do the cancellation for me. I double checked that I would get the full refund, and he said all my money would be back on my bank account within 20 days. It has now been one and a half month, and I have still not received my money. I have tried to contact them via mail and on the booking website, but they do not answer. I am now 300euros short, something that have made it hard for me to pay my bills since this whole ordeal started. Do not trust this company with your money.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have never been cheated before with car rental; Do not - and do never - use CarTrawler!! We prepaid a one-week car rental in Sicily through CarTrawler with a visa card. When we arrived at Sicily, we were taken to this far-away rental shop ("OptimoRent"), where they blankly refused to give us the car on grounds that we did not present them with a Credit card (i.e. MasterCard) in the driver's name because they wanted to get a €1000 deposit additionally on that card. We did present them with such a card, and with multiple Visa cards (Debit), but they would not listen, and they basically threw us out of the shop (and they did the same with another traveller in the same situation) and took all our prepaid money. CarTrawler was just saying blah blah blah to our complaint. Searching the net, I can see that multiple people have been in the same situation with CarTrawler. This company is a scam and I will pursue to get this stopped.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I was not sufficiently informed when the car pick-up wanted to pick up later. Car rental was canceled. Entire booking amount was retained. Not acceptable. Missing information, missing car, so my vacation started badly. Still no refund.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I would give this 0 stars but wasn’t able!! I thought I was renting a car in Florence, Italy directly from SIXT rental but soon realized after being immediately charged over $1000 upfront that this was not the actual car rental agency but a third party. When we got to the rental agency the next day to pick up the car we found out I needed an international driver's license with SIXT so they said the voucher that Cartrawler submitted would not work.

So to remedy the problem my friend who was traveling with me had one but they needed Cartrawler to transfer the voucher to her name (especially since I had already paid for the voucher!)...The car rental agency got on the phone (very hard to get their number and their website was down for a day so I didn’t even have the voucher number!) and they refused to change the voucher and their excuse was that I was “late” picking up the car (that was already paid for and waiting for me!)….They have even disputed my dispute with AMEX about the charge saying I didn’t show up!! This is an absolute fraudulent site. Be aware of them when on sites like KAYAK. We had to recharge the rental with my friend and it was 25% cheaper direct with SIXT and they didn’t charge her card until after the trip was completed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I tried to book a car with a debit card which was only possible with credit card. So I got an email that the car was not booked with your debit card. And after two days the money was deducted from my debit card for the car which I wanted to book. I asked CarTrawler to pay me my money back but they refuse to pay back.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

CarTrawler is the worst. My flight was canceled after I had prepaid for a car rental for 2 days. I worked tirelessly with the airlines to book another flight the following day to attend my sister’s funeral. When I arrived to pick up my rental I explained I had prepaid for 2 days but I would only need it for one day. I was told I needed to contact CarTrawler for a refund and the rental car company charged me taxes and fees and placed a $500.00 hold on my card. When I contacted CarTrawler I was told they could not refund me the difference of what I had paid. This is illegal to charge for services not rendered. I spoke with a manager who basically said it’s too bad my flight was canceled and the company is not going to issue a refund. He sent me information about filing a complaint however it will take 20 business days to resolve the complaint with no guarantee for a refund. This company does not need to be in business. This is not how you treat customers.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I thought I booked a rental car through Budget. I travel to Venice, Italy for vacation with my family and we all show up to the Budget office to pick up the car for a 1.5 week vacation across the country. To our surprise, this Budget office is CLOSED, with a hand written paper sign on the door. So I call the Budget office assigned and no answer. I walk next door to the Europcar office to see if they can help.

The Europcar attendant was absolutely fabulous, calling Budget at the Venice airport for me, where they confirm the office I was scheduled to pick up my car being closed. They said I could cancel by booking or go to the airport to pick up a Budget car there, so I ask the Europcar attendant if she has a car there, and she had exactly what I needed, so we ask the Budget attendant to cancel. He said I would have to do that directly with the company I booked with, as he could see I did not book directly with Budget. So, we take his e-mail and name, rent a Europcar and start to enjoy our trip through Europe. That first night, I contact the rental company that I booked (CarTrawler) via e-mail, as that was the only way to do so. It took them days to get back to me. When they did, they asked for information of what happened.

To make a very long story short, after at least 5 e-mail back and forths and multiple requests from me to TALK with a representative, they state that they will close my inquiry because they have determined that the Budget office is open and that I was a "no-show". I send them a Google search of the Budget office location which clearly states they are closed and send them a Budget website link and picture which shows that the office IS CLOSED, and they still say that they have deemed my refund request to not be valid because they are told by Budget that the office is open!! Seriously!! I ask THEM for proof now. And of course, no more responses or communication. I have all the documentation to prove it. There went my $1000+ to a SCAM COMPANY. How are these companies allowed to operate is beyond me. DO NOT USE THEM!! I will now look to work with Budget to see what they can do.....

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

They are in cahoots with car rental companies. The car rental company will require you to pay extra insurance. If you refuse, and a request a refund, CARTRAWLER will find non related justifications as to why you cannot get a refund. For instance, a flight delay. Complete scam. Do not do business with them. They appear to be the company behind flight reservations for VOLARIS, and possibly other airlines.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

On July 31, 2021 I submitted a claim over the telephone with CarTrawler and said to wait 20 days for the investigation. Received their answer not able to refund because American Auto Rental said I did not have enough on my credit card to cover the deposit of $707. Even after providing my credit card statements proof of express payments to have more credit available. Well how could this be if American Auto Rental never handled my credit card because I never presented it to the rep. What I did present to the rep was the reservation and payment confirmation for the rental and the auto insurance. The rep said my insurance was not valid and that I needed to buy their insurance that cost almost $1,200.00 which was ridiculous!!! And demanded my refund on the rental and said could not do that process where I needed to call Cartrawlers.

I suggest we all file a state lawsuit against this company which what I see continues to steal consumers money and advertise and verbally advise false information to get the rental paid and thereafter do not care about customer satisfaction and most of all refunding auto rentals that did not take place for one reason or another. Well I will be fighting for my refund and will not give up until it is returned. Anyone already started the research for the state lawsuit please update me. I appreciate it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I booked car rental through Emirates who advertised CarTrawler looking as if it was Emirates's own rental service. I booked the car and then due to Pandemic issues flight was cancelled. I could not reach cartrawler for cancellation so I directly cancelled with the car rental company who confirmed the cancellation. However cartrawler refused to refund the money. CARTRAWLER IS A FRAUD AND EMIRATES, ARE WORKING WITH THEM AS Partners in this fraudulent activity. STAY AWAY FROM BOTH.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Made a car reservation through CarTrawler. When trying to pick up the car, the rental agency could not use any of my two credit cards for the car's deposit. I called both banks right there, there was enough credit to cover the charge but both banks said the agency's terminal was not connecting properly since there was no record of the transaction even being attempted. I could not take the car and asked to cancel the reservation. Since it was prepaid through CarTrawler, I tried to contact them for a refund, but they do not have any customer service line and could not reach a representative directly.

After multiple emails, CarTrawler declined to give me a refund even after providing all the documentation they requested stating I did not have the proper "documentation to rent the car." I guess the CarTrawler is fine if everything works perfectly, because there won't be any genuine support otherwise. I would rather use a more stablished website like Kayak or Orbitz, or book directly with a known agency.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I rented a car through car trawler and cancelled a day later. It takes 20 days to get your refund, however it's been 23 days when contacted customer service I was told 20 Business days. Contacted them again by email and received from them please give 3- 5 days after the email. Still nothing. I emailed again and received the same email. Poor customer service, and still no refund. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

Original review: June 21, 2021

I am so angry. I didn’t do my research. DO NOT book with this company. Terrible customer service considering no way to contact them. I did not receive my refund. Could not go due to covid. Took the money and ran. I hope they prove me wrong but from what I am reading I doubt it. It’s a dang shame when people have no pride or ethics in their jobs.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I made my reservation with Cartrawler two and a half months before traveling. All was in order until I reached the office of the supplier that I chosen through Cartrawler to provide my rental. Not only did they have not record of my request, Cartrawler's booking number was invalid. I contacted Cartrawler through Alaska Airlines and was informed that I had changed my reservation nine times and then had canceled. I had done neither. I then asked the agent to find me another rental available in the Portland area. He informed me that there were no rentals available. Another person overhearing my conversation informed me that Enterprise had vehicles available at the Portland Airport. Ten minutes later, I had a rental. Cartrawler will not be used by me again!

Original review: May 26, 2021

Horrible!! Deserves 0 stars!! I was charged for insurance and The 6day rental!! Given the email that stated everything I needed as a checklist to retrieve my rental car!! Provided me with a number for the shuttle as well!! No customer service number only email. So when I showed my booking information, confirmation number, credit card everything The confirmation email stated!!

When I Made it to the counter I was told I needed to speak to whoever booked and charged me because they were not able to confirm anything! No I’ve spoke to chat help and they are telling me the outcome will not change meaning I WAS CHARGED over $400 with nothing to show. No car,! I will be taking this to small claims court as well!

(a)Criminal Violation.—

(1)In general.—Whoever engages in any conduct with intent to convey false or misleading information under circumstances where such information may reasonably be believed and where such information indicates that an activity has taken, is taking, or will take place that would constitute a violation

I was charged for a car I was not able to redeem based off the misleading confirmation and booking reference and checklist!!

Original review: May 20, 2021

Booked via Justfly; CarTrawler is horrible - Do Not Use. Gave them my family's flight info and called for the shuttle when we our flight arrived at the airport. They cancelled my rental and never refunded me, had to rent from another company at the airport. Do not use CarTrawler.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I rented a car from CarTrawler through Alaska Airlines not knowing it was a third party App. I showed up to the rental desk after flying from Seattle to Salt Lake City and when I got to the counter, the gal at the desk informed me my driver's license was expired. I had just received my new one in the mail and apparently put the old one back in my wallet and not the new one. My sister was with me and had a current driver's license and credit card and Thrifty/Dollar said we could not rent the car on that particular rental because it was in my name even though we were traveling together.

We tried to contact Alaska Airline Cars and there is no easy way to find the number on the website, so I went through the AA site and notified them with our booking number which directed me to Car Trawler. The actual chat with Car Trawler asked me if I picked up my car and when I said no, support asked if I needed more help and answered for me "No, Thank you" and then locked me out of the chat. I have been spending the last two days online and finally on the phone with 5 different associates and they all say the same thing we can not refund your money. The site actually answered for ME and marked the case as resolved, closed and then locked me out of the help and support portion.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Absolutely terrible company. Please do not book anything with them. Their refund policy is atrocious, see for yourself. Do not be fooled if they offer $10 less than Priceline/Expedia/Etc. Save yourself a lot of hassle and headache that comes with dealing with CarTrawler. Properly canceled reservations. Take over a month to give you a refund, why? I was refused a car for pick up because I had a temporary ID from a state that I recently moved to. Cartrawler would not issue a refund even though their terms say that a valid temporary ID is acceptable and they marked me as a "no-show" even though I was physically at the car rental place and denied a vehicle.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I rented a car through CarTrawler using Hopper. We were suppose to have rented a vehicle for Hawaii, however when we rented it, it said we had rented a car in LA. So we had to make completely different plans for a vehicle, last minute. On the same day I tried to cancel my original RSVP through Trawler and was denied any help in a refund or even a partial refund. No services were rendered, and I canceled immediately once we resolved our original situation. Never again. I will never use this company and will tell my network of thousands.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I rent cars frequently and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. I booked a hotel through Hotel.com and they had a link to a good deal (so I thought) on a rental car. The price was good so I booked and payed up front as required. When I arrived in Houston, we took the shuttle to the car rental company, Hertz, only to discover that my car had been booked in League City 16 miles away.

After 45 minutes of trying to get it straightened out with Cartrawler, to no avail, we had to take a 30 dollar Uber to pick up the car. When we got to Hertz in League City, there was no one at the office. We called and then waited another 30 minutes for the guy to arrive. During the pickup process, the Hertz rep, who was aggravated that he had to leave where ever he was and come to the office so I could pick up my car, gave me no paperwork on the car. Did not go out and inspect the car. Simply gave me the keys and told me to click the fob to see which car in the shopping mall parking lot was my rental. This was 3 hours after landing. The car we rented died on us at least 10 times while driving it. We were unable to get a hold of anyone to see what could be done and just crossed our fingers that it would start back up each time.

When I took the car back, of course no one was there. Left the keys in the drop box and took a 40 dollar Uber back to the airport. After returning home, I discovered that there was an extra 66 dollar charge on my credit card. I filled the car with gas and cleaned the inside before returning so I have no idea what the extra charge is for. I had already paid for the car when I booked the rental. I have no receipt from Cartrawler, or from Hertz. My great deal on my rental ended up costing me 166.00 over the original amount that I paid due to the Ubers I had to take to pick up the car and get back to the airport, and to the unknown charge. I will NEVER use this company again. It is deceptive, unable, or unwilling, to fix their mistakes at the cost of their customers, and far more expensive than just renting straight from the rental company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I purchased a car insurance and reserved a rental car with CarTrawler, MEX rental car refused to proved me with the rental car because what I was charged by CarTrawler was too low and the insurance was not accepted by the rental place. I called the insurance company to get a reimbursement and they did reimbursement without problem. CarTrawler until now refuse to reimburse what I paid for the rental car I never got. I don't recommended this scam website at all.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

DO NOT book with CarTrawler. I cancelled my booking on Sep 9th thru Hotel.com. It said it will take 20 business days to get the refund. But until today Oct 5th, I still cannot get that, and I have no way to contact Cartrawler. No customer service contact on their websites. No phone number can call even you willing to spend money on international call. And car rental prices are very expensive, they will charge you full insurance by not getting your consent. This is my first time to use this company and will be last time - no more.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Do not use this overpriced scam of a service. I booked a car hire service to take me from the airport from my return flight with Emirates. I did not realize how much more expensive this was from taking an UBER as they listed the price in euros. After they charged my card I went to cancel the booking after 9 minutes (which is how long it takes for you to figure out where to go on their badly designed website). Because my pick up was less than 24 hours (19 hours to be exact) they took my money, cancelled my booking, and rejected my request for refund. DO NOT USE. They took my money, I did not receive the service, and there was no resolution or refund from them. Please stay away from these scammers.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I made a booking in Mar 2020 and due to the current situation I cancelled by booking on April 15. As of today, July 22, 2020, the company is still playing Mickey Mouse games with me to refund my money. One excuse after another. You are talking about dishonesty at a systemic level. I have sent so many emails and communicated with so many of their customer service reps, but they are all the same. They appear very sympathetic. Do not be fooled. There will be no action. They simply play games with you. Think one million times before you book with these cheaters. I understand these are testing times for all companies, but this does not justify the deceit and the lies. I have received over 10 emails from them apologizing for the delay. It would have taken them a fraction of the time to actually refund my money, but as I said the intention is simply not there.

CarTrawler Company Information