1.13/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

417 CarTrawler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Worst experience ever. I was 90 mins late to pick up the car due to the delay in flight. I called them and they had no cars available and they refused to give me a reimbursement because I didn’t show up at the exact time. What type of nonsense is this. DO NOT EVER RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE SCAMMERS.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I hired a car thru Ryanair which ultimately was CarTrawler because they use other websites to put cars for hire on. CarTrawler have an offer that if within an hour of making the car rental booking with them you submit proof that exactly the same car hire is available cheaper then they will refund the full amount. I did this within 7 minutes but they refuse to pay claiming I submitted it the next day! It's a blatant lie because the email is time stamped but they will not even discuss it.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

For the first time in 15 years I experienced that the rental company at Schiphol Amsterdam would not accept a VISA debit card. In that case, Cartrawler does not refund anything of the prepaid amount. They are completely happy with the fact that you have paid for a rental car, do not get the car, have to rent another car at another company for a much higher price. They keep your money and are happy with that. Beware.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!! I WAS ROBBED!! This company refused to let me speak to a supervisor or a manager giving me the runaround for 30 min when canceling my rental car. They charged me for 4 days rental with without ever taking the car!!! I booked the car at 12 pm for a 3 pm pick up. At 2:45 I was given the runaround through the original 3rd party website “JustFly” trying to cancel while I was at the rental car company physically. By the time they transferred me to 3 different people and finally getting me over to “Cartrawler”, the rep said it was too late for me to cancel and no refund is available! I asked to speak to someone who can help me she insisted I call back in an hour or to wait an hour.

No one from management returned my call. This is ridiculous!! I will continue to speak out on this on any review website I can until I am properly addressed! “JustFly” and “Cartrawler” will not get away with this!!! Let’s see if getting over on one customer is worth the loss of a good business practice reputation... Very disappointed in my experience... Plus the rental car company was supposed to be at the airport in Miami, however, it was in some back alley in a sketchy trailer. The whole experience was very bad... Ok to Google, Yelp, and any other review site I can find. I gave “Cartrawler a whole week to get back to me." They did not. Do better!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Rented a car through CarTrawler. Live in Italy and hired a car in through CarTrawler by Avis at Schiphol Amsterdam. We arrived at a time Avis was closed. The next day I couldn't get the reserved car. CarTrawler wouldn't refund anything. So fully paid, no car. To me that seems theft and having a clause stating 'if the vehicle is not released due to a late arrival no funds will be reimbursed' is illegal. Claims are rejected and complaints impossible if you don't live in the UK and rent in the UK. As late arrival is a risk. I advise new customers to consider the risk renting through CarTrawler.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I arrived to the desk at 12:45 and they would not give me a car because the voucher stated 13:15. They charged me extra 19.04€, even though in the voucher it is clearly stated that I would pay only 0.14€ in the counter. When I asked the lady about that, she told me it is "airport taxes", which is not true because as I figured out today, the charge in the attached contract states "C. Extra V. Diesel". As found out in the rental terms of GOLDCAR, represents "ExtraDiesel surcharge" which "could be applied if the customer voluntarily requests a vehicle running on diesel fuel, for 2.5 euros per rental day. If there are only diesel cars in the Group chosen by the customer, at the pick-up time, this charge will not apply." Note that I was never given the option to chose a diesel or gasoline car!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

When picking up my reserved car at car rental office GOLDCAR, and wanting to pay the insurance security deposit, they informed that they don’t accept credit cards without embossed numbers on the top of the card surface. But only had absolutely valid credit cards of the new generation without this embossed numbers on the surface of the card. So they didn’t accept my completely flat credit card with only printed numbers on the back. Also I couldn’t cancel the reservation because all this discussion consumed time and the pick-up time was exceeded. I hire more than 40 cars per year due to my job. No other agency had any problems with my credit cards. Unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

The worst possible experience! While making a car rental booking online they had issues in their system, which meant that the car rental did not go through. Yet, they still managed to charge us for the add-on insurance for a car that they did not even rent to us. Customer services have been extremely rude and have said that they will not refund the insurance money to us (for a car that they did not even rent out to us!!!) Never-never-never use this company!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Just got back from Australia to find a £440 charge on my Amex card from this company who - to the best of my knowledge - I'd had no dealings with. Googling them found this and other sites that were highly critical of them. Naturally I feared the worst. I raised a dispute with Amex then set about tracking down CarTrawler who (apparently) don't respond. I couldn't have been more wrong. I tweeted their account @cartrawler, got an almost immediate response (on a Sunday) and a couple of DMs later I'd resolved the issue.

It transpired they were the hidden name in the process of a car I'd hired via EasyCar (one of several I'd hired in Oz) and they were simply taking the balance that was due. So this review is simply to balance the general negativity on here. I'm not questioning the poor experiences of others, simply pointing out that a) they are easy to instigate a discussion with via Twitter and b) clearly not all dealings with them are negative. 4* rather than 5* simply because I don't want anyone thinking I'm CarTrawler in disguise. :)

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was unable to receive my rental car as it was filthy inside and out. The exterior of the car had not been washed and was covered in dirt. The interior was not even vacuumed as it had leaves and debris all over the carpets, as well as food spills in it. After expressing my dissatisfaction with the vehicle, I was told the contract would be voided and I would be given a full refund. They did not offer me another car, and I agreed to the refund. I was told to call CarTrawler and they would promptly process my refund... NOT!

CarTrawler repeatedly asked me for irrelevant information claiming it was necessary or they could not process my refund. They asked for a copy of my contract first... Not sure why they didn't have it already. After I sent that, they claimed they still could not give me a refund because I did not provide my flight number. I explained I did not arrive by airplane. After that they asked me for a copy of the credit card I used, along with a bank statement showing I had sufficient funds available to cover the ($40) rental. This was beyond ridiculous as I reiterated to them that the rental was pre-paid and they already had my money.

Overly burden the customer with ridiculous request after request until they stop calling. That seems to be their business plan when it comes to returns. There is a reason literally 62 out of 63 reviewers gave the lowest rating possible, only 1 star. 98.4% of customers that reviewed describe doing business with CarTrawler as a negative experience or outright scammers. Stay away!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I rented a car in Japan via Cartrawler. The rental company in Japan did not accept my international driver's license from Switzerland and required a Japanese translation letter. After lengthy discussion they did not want to provide me the rental car without the official Japanese accepted document and translation.

The rental car company refunded all money however the rental fee had been pre-collected by Cartrawler. Cartrawler claimed that they do not need to refund my money, even though they are only a third party provider, and even though that the actual rental car company did not take any payments and refunded the payment to Cartrawler. Careful it's Not recommended to rent via Cartrawler.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I rented a car online with my flight from JustFly. The car rental place was Fox rental in Orlando, Florida. Never again! I booked the car online with my credit card. They ran it through as one. Never telling me that I wouldn’t be able to use this card to get my car unless I put down a $400 deposit. I was willing to pay the $150 deposit but they refused to put it through as a credit card. So needless to say I didn’t get the car. All this after waiting 45 minutes for a shuttle that drive past me twice and never stopped. Walking half a mile down to the next shuttle and then standing in a line for another hour. I wanted to get my deposit back of $38.44 and the woman (Lexi) refused. Arguing with me that they took my card as a “payment” not a credit card. Really!!?? By the way she was in the Philippines! Refused to give me her manager. Telling me she’s as high as I can go. Next email/call is to corporate.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I tried to rent a car through this so called company. I got to the place and they required more than what was on my credit card. I cancelled my rental and thought that was it. My 93$ would be returned to my card. Days later, I still didn’t get my funds returned so I disputed the claim. Please don’t use this so called company. It’s just a new scam people are using to leech off of society.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

ZERO STARS IF I COULD! I went to Florida as an insurance adjuster to help with Hurricane Michael. I booked my rental online through Thrifty - it gave me an option to pay in full online for a cheaper price. I'd have to pay the taxes at the rental counter. I opted for this as it was about $40 cheaper. I reserved the vehicle for 14 days. I had to leave early after 7 days. I returned the vehicle at Thrifty and they said that the keys would be all they needed. I've rented cars before and returned it early and always got a refund. I reached out to Thrifty after not seeing a refund in my credit card statement. They said I had to reach out to CarTrawler as the payment was made to them.

I reached out to CarTrawler and they said: "However, having reviewed your reservation, according to the terms and conditions, we are unable to issue any refunds in relation to unused days: '...Neither do CarTrawler provide refunds for vehicles returned early.' Nevertheless, considering the circumstances we will contact the rental location in order to verify whether they will issue such a refund."

They apparently do not process refunds for unused days and will contact Thrifty to ascertain whether it is possible to provide a refund. I've spoken to Thrifty and they said that it was CarTrawler's responsibility. This is convoluted and me, as the consumer, was not aware that I was paying the funds to CarTrawler when I paid the rental. THIS IS AWFUL and extremely UNFAIR to the consumer!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Booked a car rental on EXPEDIA for a car hire in Nottingham for 25th Sep. The car rental company confirmed was SIXT. When we went to collect the car, Sixt refused stating that the driving licence was issued in TAMIL NADU India and as per the list licences issued in India across all states except TAMIL NADU were accepted. Meanwhile the full payment for rental was collected by CARTRAWLER, a third party. We have claimed a refund as the rental was refused even though documentation was correct. (Hired a car from Avis with the same license) till date there is no response from CARTRAWLER. Have lodged a complaint both with CarTrawler and Expedia and from over a month both companies dodging regarding refund. Anyone using Expedia for car booking please be aware that your information and credit card details get compromised to a third party CARTRAWLER.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The company took our money and never sent a driver to pick up from airport. We stayed at the street and they are not willing to help or offering any refund. Simply they charge your credit card then they tell you wait for the driver at airport and no driver will come to you then you left in the street waiting and waiting and when you call them they tell you you must contact the driver. This is a total scam. Avoid in all cases else you will lose your money. Avoid avoid avoid. They are scam 100%.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I rented a car and paid in advance for a start at SF airport. As my credit card wasn't accepted I couldn't take the car. Calling CarTrawler wasn't easy and when I got through, the lady on the other end said she couldn't cancel my booking as I was 1h late. Back home I tried to get a refund but as you will guess they were not willing to do anything. Customer service is not existent!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Dear fellow traveler, do not repeat our group's mistake to choose CarTrawler: Their partners do not recognize the CarTrawler Insurance. They asked to charge 1500€ as a backup from the credit card. We took the car from Hertz in the end which great experience after CarTrawler. CarTrawler states on the website 100% money back, which is a LIE! Their customer service sends copy+paste replies denying all responsibility. Our group lost +200€ (luckily we were only renting for a shorter time). DO NOT USE THEM, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Do not reserve a rental car online from Dollar. Booked a reservation from the Dollar website for a mid size car at $21 a day for 4 days. What should have been a $84 bill turned into $263. CarTrawler is a third party that books all reservations for Dollar. Tried to contact them by phone but all you get is a recording. Went to the online chat and asked for a detail receipt of how they came up with the $263. All they would send is a invoice that has the total amount. Apparently you are paying them three times the amount of what the car is advertised for on the Dollar website.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Don’t let their cheap rates fool you. If you have found this car rental site, stay away! They are a 3rd party rental service and horrible. I should have read the reviews online before booking my car, but I was so thrilled about the WOW flight price, I jumped on it - BIG MISTAKE! This rental service literally sends automated responses when you need help. I have not even been able to even locate a phone number to customer service, so I’m left just emailing- which usually takes 48 hours for an automated response. They are an unethical company, and don’t work with customers who run into issues. It’s not about the money to me at this point, but about their blatant disregard for the customer and doing what is right. I’m am still baffled at how they responded to my issues at the airport.

Please, do yourself a favor and just book directly through a major rental car company. Don’t use this 3rd party. I wish I would have used Hertz directly like I usually do. Lesson learned. Don’t let 3rd parties cheap rates pull you unless you are 100% sure you will not have any changes to your travel schedule. I will always rent through a direct company moving forward. There is always the exception where you get it a little cheaper, but issues with no name rental car services can put a huge damper on your trip. It did for me. It’s better to have the peace of mind knowing actual rental car companies will assist and protect your reservation. If the price is too good to be true - it probably means crappy customer service. I’ll always pay extra for good customer service.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was renting a car for a one day trip and needed a big car. I saw that they have a suburban for kinds of cheap. I was standing there for almost two hours now then they tell me they don't rent suburban to local customers. I was going to take a minivan instead but the price was more than what I was originally charge. I still don't have my refund and they closed my case. I am about to take legal action!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I booked a transfer for my wife and myself from Amsterdam airport to our hotel through the Emirates website - booking no: **. After claiming our luggage and passing through Customs, we went straight to the airport's meeting place, however there we no driver there to meet us. After waiting a further ½ hour we had to get a taxi to our hotel. Despite 5 different endeavours to obtain a refund, and maybe get an apology, we still have not received any correspondence from CarTrawler. The last contact I did at least receive a case number - **.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

They refused to do a refund of $63 just because the car agency refused my driving license! They admit that by sending me an email saying; "Yes we know you didn't take the car but we are going to take the full amount against a term and condition...of providing a valid driving license!!" So now the car agency has the GOD right to refuse whatever it refuses and CarTrawler will obey them without having any kind of evidence! And yes I have a valid driving license!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I rented a car from/through CarTrawler in June 2018, as a result of a link on the Norwegian Air Shuttle website (we were flying to California from London on Norwegian). My plans changed and I had to cancel all of my reservations for the trip, including the rental car. I did this through the Norwegian site on 20 July 2018, and I was told that a full refund would be forthcoming within 10 days.

Based on reading the reviews I've just read here (and elsewhere), I actually went back and checked my August Amex statement to confirm that the money had been refunded. Indeed, it was, and this was done on the same day I had cancelled (20 July 2018). So, not all bad for CarTrawler... But I've decided NOT to use them again, based mainly on the numerous absolute horror stories I've read about people who have been thoroughly messed around by this company and its car rental company partners. CarTrawler seems to work with the bottom feeders of the industry (with whom I would never even consider doing business directly), so adding another layer of bureaucracy seems unwise, at best.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

This company might be fine if you don't cancel and request a refund. I cancelled a reservation a month prior to travel and still haven't received a refund 2 months later. First I was told 10 days. I submitted a request at the 10 day mark. Then I was told 37 hours. At the 37 hour mark, I was told my refund would be processed within 10 days. At that 10 day mark, I was sent an email asking for my bank account routing number and account so they could refund me.

This company is shady. If I reserved a car with a credit card, the refund should be processed on said credit card. I explained that I don't want to give them my banking information. They told me to speak to my bank as that's the only option. I provided the banking info as requested and got a reply that I didn't include the IBAN. US Banks don't have IBANs. This company is the worst! They are causing so much grief over a simple refund for a car that was never used. I've asked them to use the CC on file. They said they can't. I've asked them to send me a check, use PayPal, anything. I get nowhere. They keep closing my case and reopening it with every reply. What kind of people am I dealing with?! Steer clear.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I booked a transfer to and from my destination in Poland through Ryanair (who use third-party provider CarTrawler) and paid a premium rate for a car from Elite Taxis, thinking this would attract a better customer service experience, as I needed to be at my destination for a meeting at a set time. The confirmation email stated I should expect to be greeted by the driver in the arrivals hall holding a sign with my name. After claiming my baggage, I entered the arrivals area but there was no driver in sight. I waited 10 mins and then decided to give the telephone number quoted on the confirmation email a call. The number did not connect with the automated telecoms message informing me that the "number I called wasn't a valid number". I asked the airport information desk if they could try for me. They received the same message. They even searched for the taxi firm online for me but that only turned up the same number we'd both tried.

After 45 mins later, I called my colleagues stating I'd been left stranded at the airport - who eventually arranged for a local taxi to pick me up some 30 mins thereafter. Needless to say, I was late for my meeting which did not go down too well. I've logged a complaint on CarTrawler's customer service portal. It still states "issue created" after 6 days which means no one has actually looked at it yet. Reading other reviews here, I don't have high hopes of a speedy response. So, if you want my advice, avoid Ryanair's recommendation of CarTrawler and arrange your own transfer. That way, you'll stand a better chance of actually getting picked up!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

For my holiday on Sicily, I booked and paid for my car rental on days 19.0-22. June 2018. It was a booking on the website of Ryanair's airline reservation number ** (flight number FR 8237). I paid for the service 2.556, 48 CZK and the service should provide the company target rent. In about 20 minutes, the worker arrived and I submitted the above reservation and I was orally informed by the wish to arrange supplementary insurance. From the offered options I opted for insurance of EUR 18 per day. Dealing with this worker was a bit difficult, because he almost did not understand English or German. For example, the term insurance-"Versicherung" I had to translate into itaštiny.

The employee made a phone call to the supervisor and then filled out a green car rental form. No written record has been taken on the requirement to arrange insurance. Only later after the takeover of the vehicle I found that the contract for the lease of the vehicle is concluded in the name of another company-Essepirent.

This would suggest a possible my mistake or inattention to the effect of paying the rental price of Vozilad once again. Fortunately after my Urgenci erroneously debited amount of insurance, the company Essepirent says that my claim price insurance is not justified, that I was mistaken and that the correct amount of insurance is 40 Eur per day. I returned the car on the agreed day (June 22, 2018) with no damage and a full tank. No record was taken about the handover of the vehicle. The communication procedure provided by the vehicle was that the car parking at the designated location of the parking lot and the keys by putting it in the box under the Rental Counter window.

On 25.6.2018 I saw the company Essepirent, Trapani debited the amount of 3.173, 42 CZK which is 30 * 4 = 120 Euros. On 28.6.18 I claimed the amount of the debited amount by email and asked for an explanation. Since my report remained unanswered, I demanded a 3.8.2018 refund of overpaid 48 euros for my account [120-(4 * 18) = 48 EUR] to 20.8.2018. On this report, Essepirent responded on 3.8.2018, stating that the first email was not received, that I remember the thing erroneously and that the correct amount of insurance is €30 per day.

On 12.8. I once again asked repeatedly about sending a document demonstrating the legitimacy of the amount charged for insurance 30 euros per day – it remained unanswered! Due to the lack of a written insurance contract, I request a refund of the required amount of EUR 48, or the total remuneration of EUR 120. I recommend you to cooperate with the company Target rent, Essepirent and possibly others, which are served in the airport Hall of Trapani-Birgi from the last window in a number of other rental agencies at the entrance to the toilet. You can verify that on your Website. Carcrawler.com is there any contact email address? I didn't find it!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

On May 11 of 2018 I rented a car online from this company. They charged me $193.04. I was unable to pick up my car and when I called about getting a refund they told me that the case was closed. I cannot get a refund. I was not allowed to speak to a supervisor and the only way that I can get in touch with management will be through email. Shall do you like you can lose all my money or should I do something about it? If there’s anyone out there that’s been this and Gotten their money back I’m asking for help. Please help me **. I am on a fixed and I can't afford to lose $193.04 just like that.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I pre-paid for a car rental through Dollar Rental. They use CarTrawler. When I got to the rental location to get the car, they would not take my debit/credit card and said it was not valid. ALL LIES, THEY ARE CROOKS! My debit/credit card had plenty of money on it, I had all of the required documents. I pre-paid for a car and they had no intentions of renting a car to me. They changed the price once I arrive. DO NOT PRE-PAY to DOLLAR RENTAL or CARTRAWLER!!!

I requested a refund and they refused. I rent cars all the time due to my travel, so I thought I would try them because they were cheaper. DO NOT DO IT!!! I am filing a complaint with the BBB because a business like this should not be able to take a consumer's money and not give a refund when you did not receive the product. I recommend you rent from a legitimate company. PLEASE BEWARE OF CARTRAWLER - Dollar Rental uses them!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have booked rent a car for 8 days via CarTrawer.com for car rental service. They have a cancellation policy. Full refund can be made if we cancel the booking more than 24 hours of the booking date ahead. Since my travel schedule was changeable, I liked to cancel my booking. However the booking cancellation confirmation never comes even if I tried to get a cancellation through home computer and work computer many times. It is impossible to get it. Booking confirmation with credit card information comes right away. However, cancellation confirmation never comes.

Therefore I asked my credit company not to pay them. However, the third party - another suspicious company named "Carhire" attached booking confirmation paper. CartTrawler or Carhire insists on to pay whole money if I don't have cancellation confirmation. It's very ridiculous they never issue confirmation of cancellation. They are phishing company! Finally I had to pay whole money, because supervisor of my credit card dispute department cannot help me without cancellation confirmation even if I explained over 2 hours. Be aware this phishing company, CarTrawler or Carhire!!!

CarTrawler Company Information