2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

2.2/5 (749 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

On July 31, 2021 I submitted a claim over the telephone with CarTrawler and said to wait 20 days for the investigation. Received their answer not able to refund because American Auto Rental said I did not have enough on my credit card to cover the deposit of $707. Even after providing my credit card statements proof of express payments to have more credit available. Well how could this be if American Auto Rental never handled my credit card because I never presented it to the rep. What I did present to the rep was the reservation and payment confirmation for the rental and the auto insurance. The rep said my insurance was not valid and that I needed to buy their insurance that cost almost $1,200.00 which was ridiculous!!! And demanded my refund on the rental and said could not do that process where I needed to call Cartrawlers.

I suggest we all file a state lawsuit against this company which what I see continues to steal consumers money and advertise and verbally advise false information to get the rental paid and thereafter do not care about customer satisfaction and most of all refunding auto rentals that did not take place for one reason or another. Well I will be fighting for my refund and will not give up until it is returned. Anyone already started the research for the state lawsuit please update me. I appreciate it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I booked car rental through Emirates who advertised CarTrawler looking as if it was Emirates's own rental service. I booked the car and then due to Pandemic issues flight was cancelled. I could not reach cartrawler for cancellation so I directly cancelled with the car rental company who confirmed the cancellation. However cartrawler refused to refund the money. CARTRAWLER IS A FRAUD AND EMIRATES, ARE WORKING WITH THEM AS Partners in this fraudulent activity. STAY AWAY FROM BOTH.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Made a car reservation through CarTrawler. When trying to pick up the car, the rental agency could not use any of my two credit cards for the car's deposit. I called both banks right there, there was enough credit to cover the charge but both banks said the agency's terminal was not connecting properly since there was no record of the transaction even being attempted. I could not take the car and asked to cancel the reservation. Since it was prepaid through CarTrawler, I tried to contact them for a refund, but they do not have any customer service line and could not reach a representative directly.

After multiple emails, CarTrawler declined to give me a refund even after providing all the documentation they requested stating I did not have the proper "documentation to rent the car." I guess the CarTrawler is fine if everything works perfectly, because there won't be any genuine support otherwise. I would rather use a more stablished website like Kayak or Orbitz, or book directly with a known agency.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I rented a car through car trawler and cancelled a day later. It takes 20 days to get your refund, however it's been 23 days when contacted customer service I was told 20 Business days. Contacted them again by email and received from them please give 3- 5 days after the email. Still nothing. I emailed again and received the same email. Poor customer service, and still no refund. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

Original review: June 21, 2021

I am so angry. I didn’t do my research. DO NOT book with this company. Terrible customer service considering no way to contact them. I did not receive my refund. Could not go due to covid. Took the money and ran. I hope they prove me wrong but from what I am reading I doubt it. It’s a dang shame when people have no pride or ethics in their jobs.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I made my reservation with Cartrawler two and a half months before traveling. All was in order until I reached the office of the supplier that I chosen through Cartrawler to provide my rental. Not only did they have not record of my request, Cartrawler's booking number was invalid. I contacted Cartrawler through Alaska Airlines and was informed that I had changed my reservation nine times and then had canceled. I had done neither. I then asked the agent to find me another rental available in the Portland area. He informed me that there were no rentals available. Another person overhearing my conversation informed me that Enterprise had vehicles available at the Portland Airport. Ten minutes later, I had a rental. Cartrawler will not be used by me again!

Original review: May 26, 2021

Horrible!! Deserves 0 stars!! I was charged for insurance and The 6day rental!! Given the email that stated everything I needed as a checklist to retrieve my rental car!! Provided me with a number for the shuttle as well!! No customer service number only email. So when I showed my booking information, confirmation number, credit card everything The confirmation email stated!!

When I Made it to the counter I was told I needed to speak to whoever booked and charged me because they were not able to confirm anything! No I’ve spoke to chat help and they are telling me the outcome will not change meaning I WAS CHARGED over $400 with nothing to show. No car,! I will be taking this to small claims court as well!

(a)Criminal Violation.—

(1)In general.—Whoever engages in any conduct with intent to convey false or misleading information under circumstances where such information may reasonably be believed and where such information indicates that an activity has taken, is taking, or will take place that would constitute a violation

I was charged for a car I was not able to redeem based off the misleading confirmation and booking reference and checklist!!

Original review: May 20, 2021

Booked via Justfly; CarTrawler is horrible - Do Not Use. Gave them my family's flight info and called for the shuttle when we our flight arrived at the airport. They cancelled my rental and never refunded me, had to rent from another company at the airport. Do not use CarTrawler.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I rented a car from CarTrawler through Alaska Airlines not knowing it was a third party App. I showed up to the rental desk after flying from Seattle to Salt Lake City and when I got to the counter, the gal at the desk informed me my driver's license was expired. I had just received my new one in the mail and apparently put the old one back in my wallet and not the new one. My sister was with me and had a current driver's license and credit card and Thrifty/Dollar said we could not rent the car on that particular rental because it was in my name even though we were traveling together.

We tried to contact Alaska Airline Cars and there is no easy way to find the number on the website, so I went through the AA site and notified them with our booking number which directed me to Car Trawler. The actual chat with Car Trawler asked me if I picked up my car and when I said no, support asked if I needed more help and answered for me "No, Thank you" and then locked me out of the chat. I have been spending the last two days online and finally on the phone with 5 different associates and they all say the same thing we can not refund your money. The site actually answered for ME and marked the case as resolved, closed and then locked me out of the help and support portion.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Absolutely terrible company. Please do not book anything with them. Their refund policy is atrocious, see for yourself. Do not be fooled if they offer $10 less than Priceline/Expedia/Etc. Save yourself a lot of hassle and headache that comes with dealing with CarTrawler. Properly canceled reservations. Take over a month to give you a refund, why? I was refused a car for pick up because I had a temporary ID from a state that I recently moved to. Cartrawler would not issue a refund even though their terms say that a valid temporary ID is acceptable and they marked me as a "no-show" even though I was physically at the car rental place and denied a vehicle.

CarTrawler Company Information