2.1/5 (769 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: June 19, 2022

I booked rental car with Thrifty through intermediary CarTrawler. Upon arrival in Canada I realized I had forgotten my driver's license. My fault. But the problem was that I could not change the contract to my wife's name with Thrifty because I had booked through CarTrawler. CarTrawler could not be reached. I had to take out new contract for the same car in my wife's name and pay again. In the following days I engaged CarTrawler explaining that although my fault initially I was unable to change the contract upon arrival with the rental company. Car Trawler would not reimburse me, not even partially. Lesson Learned: contact car-rental company (Hertz, Alamo etc.) directly, do not use intermediary such as CarTrawler.

Original review: June 14, 2022

ATTENTION TENSIONERS AND THIEVES. The day before departure to Catani in Sicily at 9.30 am I booked a car for 6 days and purchased PREMIUM insurance. I made the payment with the Maestro Debit card. After making the reservation, I received an e-mail that I need a CREDIT CARD (which I do not have) to pick up the car, but if I do not have one, I should not worry because they will help me. That he can not help me because it is Saturday 2.30 pm .... I stayed with the reservation paid, without the right to a refund, with my wife and 5-year-old daughter in 37 degrees heat .... THIEVES.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I booked a car rental through the airline Westjet. They use the service of CarTrawler. I booked my reservation on Feb 18/2022 for a July 2022 booking in San Francisco. Charge came out to 305.00 Canadian dollars. I recently checked the reservation, found out my reservation "was abandoned." Yep. We called and spoke to various customer agents with CarTrawler. They explained that when I placed my reservation, the "rates were changing at the exact time I placed my reservation." THAT WAS THEIR FINAL EXPLANATION. After other feeble attempts staying, credit card etc.. As such they couldn't do anything for me, my NEW RATE 590.00 for three days. We also contacted Westjet, who uses them. OOPS, not their problem... sorry.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Booked an airport taxi transfer ride with them in Amsterdam. The taxi driver arrived 2.5 hrs earlier than the pickup time (He came at the flight arrival time instead of the pickup time on the confirmation). He then waited for an hour and reported me no-show. Didn't get a refund. Trying to get my bank to do a credit card chargeback now.

Original review: March 22, 2022

The worst ever!!!! I booked a car through Emirates and ended up having to deal with this broker, who then outsources to another car rental company in Dubai. On the booking date, I was denied the car as they requested an international driver’s license while the voucher clearly specified that my driver’s license category didn’t require that. I was charged the full amount without being given a car and despite many complaints, back and forths, they didn’t want to budge. They even recognized that the requirements were fulfilled but that they needed the final rental to agree to it. NEVER HAPPENED obviously. They do everything to keep the money. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE and Emirates should not use such a bad provider without being clear that it is on your own risk.

Original review: March 21, 2022

The confirmation number of the reservation is: **. I´ve booked a Pick-Up Truck to a trip in Panama with CarTrawler. When I arrive at the rental desk (Thrifty) the guy told me they have no Pick Up Truck and we tried to fit our 4 bikes in the car that they offered me in the place of the Pick up truck. As much as we tried the bikes didn´t enter the car, so I have to cancel it with Thrifty (and they confirmed to me that they cancelled and sent a message to CarTrawler explaining what happened). As I was in an Expedition and couldn´t reach CarTrawler by phone, I´ve sent 3 or 4 emails the following days but no answer. When I get back to Brazil I tried again and they finally answered me saying that they could do nothing for me. For me, it´s robbing. They get back the money from Thrifty but are not giving it back to me.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I am appalled at the lack of compassion and customer service by CarTrawler. I will never use them again. Our cruise came in late due to weather making it impractical to use the rental car. I called Dollar Rental and they said for trip interruptions like this it would be a full refund, but I would need to call CarTrawler.

I called CarTrawler and was told too bad that since I didn’t cancel 24 hours out I don’t get a refund even though they were receiving a full refund from Dollar. It’s pretty bad when dollar rental car will reimburse the full amount because of my trip delay. But they keep all the money and will not give any back. I explained this to the individual and all he said was yes that is correct. That is the worst customer experience I have ever received. They’re anything but customer oriented.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I made a car rental reservation with Alaska Airlines rewards program & they use Cartrawler 1.5 months in advance. I prepaid w/ Visa debit & was charged w/ promises of no added fees. When I arrived to Hertz they said I have to pay w/ credit card only & they refused to give me a refund or honor the rental charges I was given. They told me I had to call AK Airlines. I did. Then AK Air told me to call Cartrawler. Well the person at the other end told me that yes they only take credit cards & I should've read the fine print! It accepted my visa debit, when it should've declined! Cartrawler or Hertz should've emailed me & told me so. Or since they don't accept debit cards-why did it not decline when the charges were applied! I will get my bank to get that $ back cause as long as I have proof I was charged twice they will get my money back!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Rented my car from Alaska Airlines website, assuming this was a reputable company. At the time of purchase, there was nothing to indicate that the voucher did not include rental taxes and fees (like other 3rd party vendors such as Hotwire). What a surprise that my $649 rental became an $897 rental. Even when I asked CarTrawler to investigate, they didn't state that their voucher/price didn't include taxes and fees. It was only when I called Thrifty that they explained that to me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Booked through Alaska Airlines for a car in Detroit. Upon arrival the company they booked me with had discontinued operations in Detroit over 6 months prior. CarTrawler Rep said to just get alternative transportation and they would refund the cost. When I returned from the trip and filed for a reimbursement, they denied it saying I needed a transcript of my conversation with the car rental desk in Detroit; the one that did not exist. Very disappointed that Alaska Airlines brands this as "Alaska Airlines Cars" but it you call Alaska they say they can't help. BTW, the reps were also rude and insulting. Worst experience with any company ever.

CarTrawler Company Information