CarTrawler

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I booked a reservation through Dollar that used this third party CarTrawler. On my documents I was told I would have to pay a balance of $42.20 for taxes and fees upon picking up the car. Well upon arrival we were actually charged $89.01. I was told like others to contact CarTrawler who failed to resolve the final payment amount difference. Dollar and CarTrawler are dishonest, low life scamming businesses that should have a class action suit filed against them. I can only imagine how much money they have scammed out of people.

As many others have stated below, I thought I was simply making a reservation for a rental car with Thrifty. I used my debit card, this "third party" (apparently) that Thrifty said they are not affiliated with (what?) charged me what was supposed to be a portion of the full rental price when reserving it early. Guess what? Nope. Thrifty said I needed to call CarTrawler (??), which I didn't even know I was dealing with and get a refund. Based on all the other complaints from people who've had their money stolen, I think my chances are slim.

Flight delayed, rental place closed, no car but still charged! I rented a car for 15 days for my Spain vacation through Norwegian Airlines, had no idea the rental company they were using was "CarTrawler", it said Goldcar in the website. The flight was delayed, by the time we walked out with our luggage the Goldcar rental place was closed.

I came back the next morning to the airport and Goldcar told me the reservation had been cancelled that I needed to talk to CarTrawler since they had collected the money. I called them and they basically told me there was nothing they would do and they were keeping my money. I ended up renting from another company on the go and much more expensive and still have not been reimbursed for any of it! Their argument is that I did not pick up the car within 6 hours of the estimated time, but how could I? The place was closed!!! I feel like I was robbed of more than 600 Euros and seems like they won't even return an email.

I went home for a memorial service on 6-19-2017 and when I arrived @ the Dollar counter they told me since I didn't have a credit card they would not give me a car. They took my $243.98 as a deposit but did not return it to me. My reference booking number was **. I got the run around from Dollar and the other company they told me to contact. I definitely have forewarned others not to use Dollar car rental because of all the hassle I received. I can't afford to not have my deposit returned to my account.

Even though Thrifty's website clearly states they accept debit cards, they do not! I even called the corporate office to ensure they would accept a debit card from my traveler and was assured they would, so I prepaid the rental and the invoice showed there would be a small amount of taxes due at the time of rental, which he would use his debit card to cover. However when my traveler got to the rental office, Thrifty refused to give him the car, and CarTrawler, who handles the prepaid booking charges for Thrifty and Dollar, took the money and refused to give a refund citing it as the traveler's fault. This is absolutely criminal. I book between 50-150 rental car reservations per year, so congratulations, Thrifty and Dollar, because of this third party you use, I will take my corporate travelers elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

I booked a car through who I thought was Thrifty Rental, upon making reservation I made sure I could use a debit card and no major credit card was needed as I don't use them. NOWHERE did it state "major card needed,” it also stated “if using debit card a return flight verification was needed” and only that. Made Reservations, CarTrawler immediately took out payment for car. Upon arrival at destination I was told that Thrifty Car Rental would NOT rent me a car due to no major credit card/credit check (which I was never told about either). After talking to a very RUDE manager from Thrifty I was informed that it was not his problem and if I wanted refund I needed to go through CarTrawler to get it. I then said a few choice words to him and rented from Enterprise Rental which counters were next to one another and agent overheard what had happened and was very nice and accommodating.

After getting home called Thrifty and they were just as rude and I was told “too bad not their problem,” again to go through CarTrawler, so after 3 attempts to email and speak to someone at CarTrawler I have yet to get anyone to answer. So next move call bank and have them investigate and see if there are any legal recourse against CarTrawler and Thrifty. I say Thrifty as well because they are allowing CarTrawler to represent them and they are not being honest in their dealings as I thought I was booking through Thrifty only to find out it was CarTrawler. DO NOT RENT ONLINE FROM THIS SHAM SCAM OF A PLACE!!!

I was basically told by Michael the Lead at Dollar Car Rental that this company is fraudulent but yet they are associated with them. They are double billing me. This has been a nightmare. I made an online reservation with ETRAWLER. They billed me but when I went in to pick up the car from Dollar they billed me again. I specifically asked the rep both times why I was being billed for the amount when I basically made my reservation online. They brushed it off that the extra amount was due to "taxes & fees." Now my credit card is being billed from both of them. When contacted they both told me to contact the other.

Asked to speak with Michael at Dollar. He told me the company was a fraud but yet they are associated with Dollar. When asked to speak with his manager he basically said he was the boss then told me to speak with customer service but yet they don't take calls. My blood is boiling and I'm not finished with neither one of these companies. I also plan on going to the Better Business Bureau. Have never dealt with Dollar in the past and never will deal with either again. My whole reason to book online was because it stated it would be cheaper if you provided your credit card. STAY AWAY FROM ETRAWLER and DOLLAR CAR RENTAL.

Worst experience ever renting a car. I prepaid for a thrifty rental car through CarTrawler. When the car was picked up, there had to be a credit card on record in case of any issues. They charged me an extra $733 and will not provide any documentation as to why. I contacted customer service twice and have had no luck. Cannot find a telephone number to call. I reported this to the BBB. This is right out fraud. I am hoping that my credit card company will be able to help with this issue.

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR CARTRAWLER!!! If I could give a minus score I would, I booked at taxi transfers from Naples to my hotel in Scala and return for a family holiday through these guys and now realise that was a complete mistake. On arrival at Naples my taxi "123Transfer" (or later to be know as "123NOTransfer") didn't turn up because of an "accident". I was told to get a taxi from outside the airport and I would be refunded. This taxi cost €160. When I told him he refused to pay, I contacted CARTRAWLER (being the agent) who said they would refund but only for half the money. I had paid them for one half of the journey, citing "the small print!!!" CarTrawler eventually refunded me half of my booking after numerous phone calls to them (using my own phone which created extra costs for me and extra anxiety whilst on holiday) but that still left €30 out of pocket.

I continually made phone calls to CarTrawler during my holiday. I ask for and got guarantees from them saying my taxi would be there for our return. But, you guessed it, "123NOTransfer" didn't turn up, I tried calling the taxi company and I could tell my calls were being refused. I also tried calling CarTrawler but could not get through. I then text "123NOTransfer" asking what was going on and all I got was was a reply saying "He was in Milan and that I should get another taxi", well with me being in Naples. Milan wasn't much used to me. By more luck than judgment we managed to find a local taxi and by the skin of our teeth we made the flight.

I advised CarTawler of the return problems by phone and email and was advised they would refund again. After numerous phone calls to them still no payment. It was always me chasing their Customer Services, which they don't understand the meaning of the word. The agents I spoke to were robotic and didn't care. I was lied to about the refund being told it had been processed only for me to find out (AFTER ANOTHER PHONE CALL TO THEM) that it hadn't. Even their manager was worst than useless and also didn't care, I was getting very cross with their attitude and was accused of using "bad Language" but when I challenged that comment they had no answer. I was demanding compensation for all the phone call I made to them but yet again I hit the "Brick Wall".

They don't have a customer services bone in their body. All the staff I spoke to were worst than useless and full of lies!!! I am still awaiting an official response to my emails!!! So Vadim, Roger, Lisa, Niall, Rowena thank you for all the lies you gave me, they can't be paying you much as all of you haven't got a clue about customer service. But I guess that is the way your company want you to operate. DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR CARTRAWLER!!!

This company has to be a scam. It is very stealth in their business dealings online. They do business with multiple car rental companies but you are not aware when you book with Dollar or others that you are actually dealing with CarTrawler. I had my online $55.00 deposit stolen by the company as I tried to cancel an hour late due to a delayed flight at LAX. So no car and my money taken. My credit card was unable to reverse the charge due to the company's stealth policies. BEWARE of booking online with DOLLAR and others.

I had to cancel my booking (**) because I did not have my driver's license with me. Avis, (through which CarTrawler made the booking) cancelled the booking but said I should contact Cartrawler for a refund (the entire amount was deducted before by Cartrawler). My message was registered by Cartrawler but they refuse to contact me. I sent three messages but they simply do not answer!

In June, I prepaid for a rental car on a website not knowing it was through a third party called, CarTrawler. When I arrived to my destination to pick up my rental car, I was told that the car rental place was not providing rentals that day due to a bad storm in the area, and the electricity had gone out at the car rental place. They told me to call CarTrawler to be reimbursed for the rental car I did not receive. I called CarTrawler, and they told me I would have to provide proof of receipts and documentation that I did not receive rental car, plus, I had to provide proof that I rented a car from another company. When I got my receipts together to email, the email would not go through! I called them again and the customer service rep told me that they could not handle it and I would have to call Dublin, Ireland the main head quarters to handle this. Why didn't they tell me this in the first place!!!

So, I call Dublin and they tell me they have to review my case and it could take up to 20 days but I have to provide proof. I tried to email them again with documentation and it states "This account is not managed." I've been trying for a month to get my money back that I have worked hard for without much success. Please stay away from this company! They give you the run around because they want to keep your money. I never ever write reviews, but for me to take the time to sign on to this Consumer Affairs website speaks volumes of my absolute disgust for this company!

I rented a car from CarTrawler as part of an Aer Lingus flight. The experience was awful. On arriving at the airport, there was no specific CarTrawler agent. I used one from Avis who did have a record of the booking but told me that their terms and conditions would not allow me to rent a car. I asked to cancel it and was told they could not do this and there was no Aer Lingus CarTrawler desk. I would therefore be charged for the full rental as a no show. I asked for another rental company with different terms. They were no help. Totally useless. Do not use these people.

We were renting a car through Thrifty and we decided to prepay. It sent us to a place to pay and never said it was with a different company that they work with. They sent us a confirmation so we printed it out. About 5 minutes later CapOne sent me a possible fraud alert. I called them and they said the charge was from Cartrawler in Ireland. I said that I didn't know anything about that, but it was the same amount as my rental with Thrifty.

When I read the reviews of this company my husband called Thrifty and we gave them the confirmation number and they acted like they don't give numbers like that. It started out with US and then the number. We had just rented another vehicle from Thrifty and noticed that the numbers were very different. Thrifty said they couldn't even see our registration. Finally, after my husband getting frustrated with them he asked to speak to a manager. After speaking to him for a few minutes, he finally gave us the number to call Cartrawler and we called and canceled. There are other companies that use them so be careful. We were lucky. People have arrived at the airport with no car and no reservation. Thank you CapOne for the fraud alert, because it really is fraudulent.

My booking was auto cancelled by CarTrawler although their auto-response payment portal showed "system's error" and their payment doer refused to take credit card payment over the phone. CarTrawler even cancelled the booking after I went to Europcar counter to pay! Spoke to "customer service" 5 times and every time they provide no help. So car was cancelled 1 day before pick up on a 21 day family vacation in Spain. Now having to locate another hire and will pay over double. This company has appalling service standards and substandard processes.

Paid my location of my car before the arrival on Venice. They refused to give the car because I did not have international driver's license. It was not written when I reserved my car. Lost 600$. Rented car to the airport with no problem but higher price.

In all my years using the web I have never written a review. Unfortunately I have had such a bad experience with this company that I felt compelled to write this review. A few days ago I prepaid for a car rental. We arrived 9.30 pm to the airport and went to the pickup area to be taken to the agency ADDCAR. After waiting one hour a shuttle never showed up to pick us up. We then decided to just take a cab to the car rental place. We arrived at the car rental place at 1030 pm (which was just an ugly shack outside of the airport). When we arrived the place was closed even though they claim to be open 24 hours on the website and open until 12 am on their answering service. Needless to say we are all very upset and had to take a taxi back to the hotel. I had to end up paying for the two taxis. It took more money than what I paid for the car!

I called in the morning directly to the agency and they told me that there was someone in the office till 10.35 pm and that I was lying about the time I arrived. To make matters worst I told them I would come and pick up the car now. They told me that my reservation is cancelled and the money I paid is lost because they only hold the car for one hour after agreed time to pick up the car!! Basically do yourself a favor and never deal with this little hole in the wall company called ADDCAR. It is a pathetic excuse for company that looks to scam customers instead of accommodating them.

A month ago, I booked a car through a Dutch website cheapcars.nl., rental company was Dollar. The pickup location which was mentioned in the booking is Schiphol Airport. I was searching at the airport for Dollar car rental between other car rentals, but they were not there. I called Dollar and they informed me that they are located outside the airport, which was very surprising for me, and the gentleman on the phone he didn't mentioned that they have a shuttle bus service, either they are closing at 10:30 Pm. Once I arrived there by taxi it was 10:34 PM and they were closed. I called to the customer service which should be in the Netherlands, but I got a gentleman from Car Trawler, he said he feels very sorry for what happened and he will report a complaint with this matter. A proper reply from their end will be within five working days. No One from their end have even called nor replying to emails.

I called them after 14 days, and I spoke to one of their supervisors, this lady was very rude and unprofessional. She was only talking and not even listening to my complaint. The paid amount was debited from my credit card, and they are not willing to reimburse paid amount for the service which I haven't received! So if you want to be ripped off, rent a car with these gangs. Be aware of #cheapcars.nl #cartrawler.com.

This company lures you in to get your payment online. Even if there is less than 24 hours to cancel you will still pay a $55 fee for calculation. Then you will have to fight to get the money due to you. No one there has answers. They hang up on you and try to get you off the phone without resolution. I can't believe a multi million dollar company like Thrifty/Dollar rental car allows their customers to be treated this way. I will never use these companies again you just get ripped off for your cash. Never again and I will be sure to spread the word. Beware!

I booked a rental car for my 20-day visit to the UK last month. Wish I had read these terrible reviews prior to booking. I paid in full with my credit card online. When I received my authorization I learned that it was booked through CarTrawler a third party broker using Budget. No problem. During the wait period I had to upgrade to a larger vehicle. No problem. Paid an extra $90 for the upgrade. When I printed the voucher I received I noticed it was a co. called Green Motion not Budget. I thought it was probably a spin off from Budget. Once I got to Manchester Airport I called for the shuttle. Again no problem only waited 15 min.

Now the problems begin. Although I had booked unlimited mileage Green Motion explained that the voucher clearly said I was only allowed 95 km. per day. I told them it was a mistake because I would never book without unlimited. In the end we agreed on 6£ per day extra. Then they wanted a 2500£ deposit for any damages. I laughed and explained I had no cards with that much room. In the end Green Motion charged me 100£ deposit and insurance. It came to another 378£. So my car rental went from the $700 I originally paid to another $750. Have contacted CarTrawler for a review. Still waiting.

I am writing this review to deter anyone else from using this service... I have given them one star because I had to - they shouldn't receive any!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF. I booked the car at 11.46 am not noticing that the pick up time had defaulted to 12 pm. By the time I go to the showroom and cancelled the hire - as not needed - and told by the person there it was cancelled it was past 12pm - I AM NOW NOT ENTITLED TO A REFUND!!!! The car hire was for 7 days at £105.00. No wonder they are cheap if they rip everyone off. Avoid at all costs - could you imagine if you had an accident?? This is just a cancellation!!

Horrible experience in Southampton Airport. Had to wait 40 minutes for a shuttle to arrive and take us to the pick up location. Easirent office at Southampton Airport said that there is no car available for us to rent. After 1 hr and 30 mins calls and complaints to the Customer services office they provided us with another vehicle and charged extra 48 for insurance coverage in addition to AXA full coverage paid when we booked. Dodgy car rental company and agent ruined our bank holiday weekend. After 2 hours of arrangement for the rent, we missed our ferry. The official complaint has been issued. Now we are waiting for the compensation.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. First, I'm shocked that Thrifty allows this company to use their website to deceive people into thinking they are booking directly with them. This is a total scam. They accepted my Visa debit to prepay, then when at the airport counter, Thrifty would not accept any form of payment I had. Never rented a car, and they would not refund the amt prepaid. Shame on CarTrawler and shame on Thrifty!!

CarTrawler is an AWFUL company. Just read the reviews. My spouse traveling abroad booked a car thru Hotels.com & was directed to an AVIS rental agency, however the third party booking agency was thru CarTrawler. She was denied her car & fully charged for services not rendered, which made her trip more difficult. They required a $2500 security deposit, she tried to cancel but since she was 48 minutes past the pickup time they fully charged for the car.

Booked a car from AirAsia site, in Thailand. Didn't know CarTrawler were the middle agent used with AirAsia. Took a day before I got a reply. Two days later my credit card number had been compromised and USD items began to appear. I hadn't used the card for a while before the booking and didn't use it after. I assumed it was either AirAsia or Avis that had ripped my card off. Only when a customer survey arrived in my inbox from CarTrawler, later on did I realise CarTrawler was used as the agent to find the hire care. I had no idea since when you select a car on AirAsia it goes straight to Avis or some other company I assume. I've booked flights with AirAsia many times and no problem.

After having to cancel my card, sort out with the bank all the USD transactions, order and collect a new card, I used this clean, unused card, to leave the THB 8000 (you can't leave cash!) deposit with Avis when I collected the card (It took more than 2 weeks for that to be refunded - Avis did reply today - over 2 weeks later to say I would get it back), however they didn't seem to be the company to rip off my card. That only leaves CarTrawler. Given the nightmare accounts posted on this site, I think they are the prime suspects.

My advice 1. Don't hire a car through AirAsia, 2) Don't use CarTrawler 3) Try to find a local car hire company who will take a cash deposit. I normally always use local (not the big guys) to rent cars, less hassle, less paperwork and either no deposit or you can get it back quicker. BTW, my system for booking is clean, so I know it is not my computer. This is compromised.

Myself and my son were traveling to a little town near Figeac. Staying with friends. We had to take a taxi for some unknown reason to Brive town to collect our car. We booked through Ryanair who have refunded me the cost of the car hire. To them I am very thankful. However - Cartrawler have done nothing. We were literally stranded in a little French village by the train station. My son was 9 years old at the time. We always drive to our holiday location - it's roughly a two hour drive from Brive airport.

We ended up begging for help - one taxi driver was available but had clocked off and was due home for his family. A lovely lady and her granddaughter who were in his cab felt sorry for us and we went 20k out of our way to drop them first - just to keep ourselves in a taxi. We paid over 200€ to the taxi driver who was an angel on earth and obviously charged us that because we had no choice. He took the Michael and I tipped him because he literally was our only help? Mum and son of 9 years old. Stranded. Cartrawler. Take this as a warning. Next time it could be a horrific outcome.

CarTrawler the worst company in the world! This Company will take your money and leave you empty-handed. They won't even refund you your money, after you explain to them that the car that you've paid for wasn't delivered. After filing a complaint, they even tell you that they hardly ever pay a refund, let alone any compensation for the costs that you had to make. All in all a bunch of crooks!

I booked a vehicle for the usage on the above dates. Strictly for the Jazz weekend. When we arrived at the airport at 20h45pm we were not given a vehicle since I forgot my driving license and I had my credit card. My partner had his license but not credit card. We were told a credit card and a drivers license should belong to one person. We were not given the car. We had to use taxis. I asked for our Refund and I was told to go back online. I did send the email the very same night but NO RESPONSE HAS BEEN GIVEN UP TILL TODAY? Kindly Refund the R434.00 that was paid in advance for the vehicle. I sent emails to Woodford and they are not assisting with my refund. Bad service. Booking was under: ** Nathaniel. Pick up 31March Cape Town Airport. Drop off 02 April 2017. We did not use the vehicle. Please refund my credit card.

This is the worst refund and complaint issue I have ever had to deal with, If I could I would not give any stars. After numerous complaints, calls and being subjected to rude and unprofessional manner. I am sending this to a law firm to review and hopefully get my money back. After I write this review I will appoint the massive complaint tally to the CarTrawler Main US Office and hopefully they will hire individuals that know how to address and speak clearly when dealing with consumers happy or not.

This was an awful experience for my children whom had to be ejected out of the terminal, where the Paid in FULL rent a car was to be given to us. No one allowed to loiter, stand, sit or use facility if you are not a Rental Customer. This was after 1 hour of back and forth between manager and CarTrawler. I had to pay out more funds to get a ride back home. Never again! I have chosen to use Amtrak, Cabs and Bus services. CarTrawler needs to realize that more and more people are being swindled out of funds that do not state anywhere in the agreements of non-refundable. Just all of you beware. CarTrawler will take your money and leave you stranded while laughing to the bank at you and whoever else is with you.

I booked a prepaid reservation through CarTrawler for a car rental through Thrifty. This was for vacation purposes with my kids. The day I went to pick up the car, the agent declined me due to having a visa debit card. I let the agent know that had prepaid the car. They extended the apologies but it was their policy that they could only accept major credit cards.

I left and immediately emailed to CarTrawler and in hopes to get an immediate response I ended up waiting 2 days. They let me know that they would not be refunding me $280 for my rental because I didn't present a valid card for the deposit. In responded to Luke who was in charge of my case that I did in fact have a valid debit card with the deposit needed to cover the rental ($300) for the duration of my rental time. I let him know that what information was given to me in my confirmation email was covered but again according to the agent was incorrect in regards to Thrifty's policies. I got a response immediately letting me know that even with new information that it may not be in my favor of a refund. I would have to wait 5 business days to hear of a new verdict.

I finally got that verdict and it is still no on the refund but now I have to provide a returning flight number which I don't have because I was renting from the city I lived in for a vacation in which I was driving to and would return back to my home city to return the car. So all in all because CarTrawler's policies don't mirror those of the rental companies I am out my prepaid amount of $280! Please don't rent from here! Just go straight to the business itself and avoid any surprises. I finally got a car directly from another car rental place nearby but doesn't help that I was out that money I spent.

CarTrawler Company Profile