2.1/5 (779 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I booked airline tickets and a car on Alaska Airlines website using a bank card that my bank insists works as either a credit or debit card. Car Trawler charged my account $373.49 for a car that they refused to loan me when I arrived at my destination airport. They said they couldn't release the car because my card is a debit card. I have only the one card so I had no other card to offer them. They have also refused to refund the $373.49 reservation payment. My bank says they can't help me because I authorized it and Alaska Airlines can't help me because it's a third party, and Car Trawler won't help me because it's written in the fine print of the contract that a 'credit' card is required at pick up. Disgusting that they accepted it for a deposit and now won't refund it even though I didn't get the use of a car.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I recently traveled to LA to take care of a medical issue and rented a car through this platform. Apparently, CarTrawler was a sub-app built into the LAX car rental website, because I never actually noticed this branding until the nightmare of getting a refund on this rental began. For starters, I rented this car over a month in advance to keep everything organized. Nowhere in the rental process did it say anything about needing any special kind of credit card, I double-checked because I had lost my credit card and only had my debit. I haven’t had any issues with that in the past, most rental agencies just ask for an extra deposit. Apparently, the rental agency I rented from (Nu- also terrible customer service) doesn’t accept debit, but this wasn’t communicated to me clearly until the day I arrived to pick up my car.

CarTrawler had already taken nearly $400 from my card yet hadn’t clearly communicated that I wouldn’t be provided a service despite having paid already. When I got to the desk at Nu they assured me that when this happens they always issue a refund. However, after a month of trying to get that refund from CarTrawler, they won’t release my funds. This is straight-up robbery- taking money and not delivering a service. Of course, I started my claim immediately upon arrival and they did nothing for 2 weeks to help. I would never trust this service again and recommend you always go directly to a rental agency. Never trust this company.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I agreed to the unorthodox policies on the CarTrawler website, but when I arrived at the rental car counter I was given different policies regarding insurance. Total Scam! I refused the car and CarTrawler still tried to charge me. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and that was the first time they reached out to me and complained that they wanted me to cancel the credit card dispute. What nerve!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

Total disaster. When we rent to the kiosk in Panama City, Dollar Rental wouldn’t accept the letter from our insurance company stating we had 2 million dollars of liability insurance in any country in the world and would only release the car if we paid another $45/day. We were renting for 2 months so another $2400 was out of our budget. We didn’t accept the car and wrote up a new contract for 1 week. We started the “complaint process” via WhatsApp chats immediately and submitted all backup documents to the address they told us to email to. We received an email today stating the car wasn’t released to us because my husband's credit card has his middle initial on it and he didn’t put the initial on the initial deal we made online.

When I replied that this was not even part of our complaint, the email I received back stated that address isn’t monitored. It’s the same address we had to send all backup docs to and they confirmed receipt of the documents so what’s up with that? I figure they all have a good laugh and go out for dinner with our money. Really watch when you’re renting online - we started with Dollar online and then it took us to Car for hire which then took us to Car Trawler.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

We rented a van in St Croix through Hopper who then went through Cartrawler who then went through Ace/Olympic rentals in St Croix. We were picked up at the airport by the rental company and taken to their offices. We were told we needed to give them a credit card for security. We gave it to them, they assured us we would not be charged if the car was properly returned. We returned it as instructed and when we get our credit card bill we were charged 301.40 and 300.00 the same time. We asked ace/olympic and cartrawler and was told we never picked up our car at the airport. We asked cartrawler and ace/olympic for our money back. We were denied. Still waiting on hopper to help us. We have a receipt where we paid hopper in full

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Avoid this company if you don’t want to lose your money. When they agree to give a refund when the service is not provided, they ended up by not doing it using ridiculous excuses. Don’t get scam by this company, don’t book online with them.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Do Not under Any Circumstances book your car rental through Alaska Airlines Car Rental!! It’s a scam from Dublin Ireland who asked me to pay $467 upfront to reserve my car! I haven’t traveled since 2019 and figured maybe this is how you have to do it now! I went to Dollar at the airport and they did not have a car for me for 2 hours so they offered me a Minivan at a reduced rate. I told them I already paid $467 and they said that my total fee would be $356. When I returned the car they charged my credit card for $356.

When I returned home I called Alaska Airlines car rental and told them they needed to refund the $467 I paid upfront because Dollar charged me the total reduced amount. The woman I spoke to told me they wouldn’t offer a Refund because I didn’t rent the actual car I requested! I was Livid!! I contact USAA and filed a fraudulent claim to get my money back since I was double charged. I usually travel Southwest and have always booked my rentals through them. Never did I ever have to pay upfront. Again I thought since COVID maybe they are requiring a deposit. I’m hoping my story will help someone. I know now to book my car rental directly with the rental agency.

Original review: July 17, 2022

We rented a Budget rental car through Hotels.com/CarTrawler for pickup at the Seattle train station after taking the Empire Builder scenic train from Chicago. We were renting the car for one night to drive to Mt. Rainier National Park, where we had booked a hotel. We confirmed the reservation with CarTrawler as requested a few days before the trip. When we arrived in Seattle, we found that the Budget location no longer existed! It was now a parking garage, and we could not get a car on such short notice from any rental company - we sat in the train station for an hour trying them all. We lost the amount paid for our hotel, $230, because it was too late to cancel and we had no way to get there, and ended up having to spend the night at an expensive Seattle hotel before our flight home the next day.

CarTrawler refuses to take responsibility for the money we lost due to their error in booking us a car at a non-existent Budget location, and their idea of customer assistance was to contact the hotel and ask them to refund our money. Of course the hotel refused; this was not their fault and they were a small local lodging, not a huge third party car rental agent like CarTrawler! I am not done pursuing this, and will never use CarTrawler again, meaning that I will never use Hotels.com for car rental, because they work with CarTrawler.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I rented a car with Thrifty through CarTrawler, which Alaska Airlines prompted me to do after I booked our flights. I never use third-party systems but I trusted Alaska and went for it. Prepaid over $600. Realized at the Thrifty rental desk my license had expired and contacted CarTrawler immediately to change the name on the rental to my husband’s name. This was done and I received an email confirmation on the spot. But Thrifty still wouldn’t give us the car because the name didn’t change in their system. We spent hours in the Chicago airport with two small children late at night trying to figure this out.

I contacted CarTrawler for a refund and they have refused. There is no way to contact a real human, I believe most of my interactions have been with a bot. This service is terrible and not only will I never use them again but this has tarnished my view of Alaska Airlines, a company I felt loyal to before. Still planning to contact them to share this experience and will continue to try to get my money back but I feel like it is futile. I feel scammed, honestly.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Booking Ref: **. Case Ref: **. Loss of 304,11 euros and 8 hours of my holiday due to this company. Rental DOLLAR could not read my credit card with sufficient funds (unreadable). Because evidence provided contained a different name of driver than credit card refund is denied. This is not reflecting what happened at all at the rental place and Cartrawler is hiding behind policy to not pay me back. Never with this company again.

CarTrawler Company Information