CarTrawler

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Booking voucher told me to go to Union Station, Washington to pick up the car. Went there and was told company had not operated there for several months! Had to trace across town to find the car, some 90 mins later. Loads of hassle, phone calls and rubbish customer service. Don't use this firm!

Do not book anything through Arguscarhire (CarTrawler). I booked a car online and had to make a payment before the booking would go through. The booking went through Easirent in Glasgow City. I went down to the location and no cars were available? I was not able to get a car that day and after two weeks of phone calls and emails I am still trying to get my money back. Both companies seem to just be giving the runaround now, so unfortunately the next step will have to be a Fraud report to my credit card company.

I was booking a flight through Webjet and decided to take up the option to book car rental at the same time. A few days later I took my flight and arrived at my destination. Looked through my emails and could not find any car rental agreement. Panicked a bit and then went around all the rental companies in the airport and asked them if I had made a booking with them. I had not. So we had to get driving and so had to rent a car with someone else. Later I saw a credit card debit from online cars. I disputed this with my credit card company. They followed it up and today I got an email from "Car Trawler" about my credit card dispute.

I have written an email to them explaining the lack of a confirmation and information as to who I was renting a car from. After reading your emails I am not confident as to regaining my $196.00. It would be nice as I thought WEBJET would be using a reputable company to be associated with. If I have no joy I will be emailing WEBJET and telling them about my dissatisfaction and disappointment that they are using this company. Let's hope Car Trawler are honest this time.

I prepaid CarTrawler for a one month Europcar Rental in Puerto Vallarta for the guarantee of no surprise extra charges at the pick up desk. Surprise! Europcar says I need letters from my bank and from a Mexican government Agency named CNSF validating my credit card car rental insurance coverage. (It took me 2 weeks to find this CNFS contact info: soporte_ma@cnfs.gob.mx... good luck getting a response.) This appears to be a scam whereby (since these letters are impossible to get in under several weeks if at all) you are now forced to pay the rental agency's exorbitant $20 US/day in spite of the fact that the credit card company you've paid with fully guarantees collision damage loss costs.

Six courteous emails to CarTrawler telling them that they need to update their on-line and contract information and that if they are ethical they will recognize that failure to inform me caused me to reduce my rental period by half, gave me a HORRIBLE start of vacation experience and that a fair settlement at the very least would be a refund of half their rental charge yielded nothing. "Customer Care" people hit stock response buttons that indicated they weren't reading or understanding the situation. All car rental customers in Mexico are now likely to discover the new scammy costly wrinkle too late, at the desk, because unethical brokers like CarTawler are unwilling to inform you ahead of time. Go to the Expedia site and you will find the appropriate warning.

I had asked Cartrawler to work with me on a solution for my one personally horrible experience but for the sake of future customers too. Nada. Do you think your nice-looking CEO and Chief Customer Officer want you to ignore this situation I asked "Sarah" and "Juliet"? Apparently they think their job is to make me go away. If Cartrawler is the kind of business their website claims it is, they will want to fix this problem now instead of taking people's money and leaving them to the horrible experience of being ripped off by not one agency but two.

If one broker and one car agency would emerge and provide car renters with a guaranteed seamless, scam-free, fairly priced service, they could capture the market. CEO Mike McGearty, Chief Customer Officer Brian Ingarfield are you attending to all of your stakeholders' best interests, including yours? Judging by how CarTrawler handled Booking # ** and all subsequent related communications, the answer is no.

I purchased from CarTrawler through Vayama two weeks of car rental with CDW and TW insurance in Israel for $160. The renting company was Enterprise/Eldan.

The CarTrawler contract explicitly stated that any additional insurance proposed would not be required and should be declined and that the company would put a credit card hold of no more than $450 for the Excess Damage.

But when arriving at the airport, the company would not release the car to me till I paid $240 of compulsory Liability Insurance, and it put a hold of $2,500 on my credit card for Excess Damage. I was lucky to have the funds to cover the unexpected Liability insurance expense and a card with that much line of credit. If I had not, I would not have been able to get the car I was counting on when booking with CarTrawler through Vayama. Additionally, the car was full of undocumented scratches - which caused me some concern considering that a hold of $2,500 had been placed on my card. CarTrawler has sent me no request to fill a customer satisfaction survey for this transaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

I purchased a voucher through CarTrawler as a broker (third party) for Dollar company to rent a car. I ended up not getting my rental car or my full refund back. I contacted Dollar in order to get my money back and they told me to contact CarTrawler to ask for my refund. I want my full refund back to my card.

My partner and I travelled to Cape Town in July and we rented separate cars for reasons of convenience as we both had different friends and family to visit. Rented through CarTrawler and the car would be picked up at Tempest Car Hire at Cape Town International – this was in July 2016. Upon arrival, I got my car through a company I always use (thank goodness – no hassles) and then found out that there was no car in my partner's name even though she had booked (with additional insurance). After numerous phone calls from Tempest staff and visiting all other car hire companies along the line still no luck. An hour and a half later she gave up and hired a car instead from Woolfords (great help they were!) Upon return to the UK and numerous emails and phone calls (almost 3 and a half months down the line) and chatting and repeating the 'story' to almost all of the ladies in the call centre - no luck!

The amount of times emails were requested and documentation – all sent soon after arriving back in the UK have been resent and resent. We have kept a record of the number of calls, emails to the CarTrawler Support Team (!) and private emails forwarded by staff... we are on the verge of suing for stalling, time-wasting, phone calls, stress... I shall never ever use them and will be writing a far firmer statement to their directors (nameless soles) shortly and to the Ombudsman. Angry? You bet! They (CarTrawler) even had the cheek to say that it was a 'no show' at Tempest. Ha! Arrived at the airport at 1.10pm and proceeded to Tempest at approximately 1.40pm. Car then hired at Woolfords at 3.10pm.

I rented through CarTrawler a car with Thrifty. The contract included protection for the car (CDW) and third party liability. I HAVE IT IN WRITING. Upon arrival at Thrifty, they said that protection was NOT included and that I had to speak to CarTrawler despite having everything printed out. CarTrawler are liars and do not honor their deals. I had to pay AGAIN to Thrifty and lost my money. Of course trying to contact CarTrawler (should be called CarLiar) is impossible, it's obvious from reading other comments that they have it set this way to fool and steal from the customer.

Arrived at the correct time at Reunion Airport Sixt Car Hire. With ID, credit card and English language license in Roman letters and CarTrawler voucher. Sixt Car Hire would not give vehicle as they wanted International Driving license. I could have provided but the CarTrawler voucher stated "if your driver's license is not in Roman alphabet" which it was. As a result I had to hire from an alternative company which accepted my license at my cost. To date after requesting politely several times on their website CarTrawler have not even had the grace to respond. The distress caused by this incident after a long flight was intense. You would think that this company, which comes off TripAdvisor platform, would be on top of the rules of the companies they subcontract the car hires to.

Avoid this site at any cost. I reserved a car from their website, was debited 200. At the appointment of the 3rd party company, the office were closed. Waited 2 hrs still close. So I got out, took a picture with the time of the day, and asked them to refund me. After 4 week, they told me they cannot refund me because I didn't have all my documents in the day I was supposed to get the car, when I never meet anyone as the company was closed!

The car rental Company (Thrifty) refused to give the car therefore requested money back from CarTrawler but it's not possible. Since CarTrawler is 3rd party for the car hirer they can refuse and there is nothing to do.

Just a heads up, don't get caught out on the price promise. Gave them 2 quotes there's £10 more. Was lead around the houses for 4 days, directed to Ryanair. Price promise links don't exist. Don't be fooled with their find it cheaper promise. It's none existence. Con merchants.

CarTrawler is a Doing Business As (DBA) in name only, per MA Atty. General's Office. Their official name in the USA is: ETrawler Inc. C/O_National Registered Agents Inc., 155 Federal Street, Suite 700, Boston MA 02110. I accidentally doubled booked a car rental as the initial booking via the Irish Airlines website went to Junk Email instead of my inbox. I was told by the rental company, Budget Car Rental, that my credit card payment of $255.01 (that I was unaware of) would be refunded. I have called them many times, emailed them, sent all supporting Docs. It is now fourteen months later and they have only refunded me $120.01. I am filing a Small Claim against them for the remaining amount, plus court costs. Note: File all claims against ETrawler at the above address.

CarTrawler would not offer a refund for 4 days of unused car rental. The car was rented for a week erroneously, and returned it after 3 days. They should offer a reimbursement for the unused days upon presentation of the car rental contract.

I was charged twice for a car hire booking that was never resolved which the company refused to reimburse. You will not save money with this company; they are very devious in their business practices. I am amazed they are allowed to remain as a legitimate business and practice with today's laws. The lure of a cheap car hire will turn out to be the opposite. Use at your peril!

I rented a car from CarTrawler from internet for 65 Euro at Milano Airport. Maggiaro Car Rental has invoiced for 120 Euro told me total payment. CarTrawler prices are not true. When you go to car rental they do not give the right information. It costed me double. Dont trust the site. Be careful for credit card provided numbers.

BEWARE... BEWARE. Myself and my husband hired a car with dollar in Florida last September (2015)... We paid a deposit of 200$ in cash as we do not own a credit card. We have done this with dollar for nearly a decade. Once home told we would get a cheque in my husband's name. Unfortunately my husband died this year and I sent them all the proof they asked for. Now nearly a year still no money... They keep asking for documents which I have sent them to no use. I WILL SEEK LEGAL ACTION AT THEIR EXPENSE... DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY... I thought we had booked through dollar but this rip-off group took my booking... BEWARE BEWARE.

As a regular international traveller I booked a business class flight from Canada to UK via KLM and used CarTrawler as a source for a rental car via KLM's website. I paid in advance for the use of a car for three weeks. Arrived at the airport in the UK to be told by the rental car company, Europcar that I had only paid half of the rental cost even though the documents I had from Cartrawler clearly indicated I had paid everything in full, including the taxes. Apparently airport pick up fees and airport drop off fees plus random taxes totalling £700 extra were not included.

I refused to pay the extra fees and got a taxi to my destination. I received all kinds of communications from CarTrawler indicating they were trying really hard to resolve these issues and I even received an e-mail indicating a full refund would be applied to my credit card within 10 working days after waiting over 30 days for any kind of resolution. No refund was forthcoming. I eventually resolved the issue through my credit card company in Canada, who went after the company in Ireland. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - IT IS A TOTAL SCAM.

I booked my car through CarTrawler. At the time of pickup car from Alamo, Customer service said we charge 250 euro for the deposit which I had that experience before and said sure. They charged my Credit card for 250 Euro. At the time of pickup from Alamo/Enterprise counter the person who gave us the car look at the receipt and said, "You don't have an insurance. It's better to get one." and he explained the price and how makes it easy for us to have one. Price 169 euro which we did agree to it and got it at the counter. Now after 2 months of my vacation, they are not returning my deposit and they are telling me the total of 250+169 was my insurance. This Scam and not even responding to my email.

This company (ARGUS CAR HIRE) committed fraud by subcontracting out my rental car agreement to another company without informing me. When I arrived at my destination, I discovered this problem and was forced to rent from another company because ARGUS CAR HIRE does not have an office. The company they hired was closed, leaving me without my reserved car. After contacting ARGUS demanding a refund, they refused to acknowledge their mistake and refused to refund my reservation fee. See their FACEBOOK account for multiple posts regarding their illegal actions. PUT ARGUS OUT OF BUSINESS & PROTECT THE public from fraud & theft!

We rented a car through CarTrawler. They booked us with Dollar Rental, which wouldn't take our debit card and we didn't have a credit card. CarTrawler would not refund our money. They stole almost $100 from us. Disgusting business practice!!! DO NOT USE!!!

I rented a car on their website through Vueling airlines offer. Unfortunately, I missed a flight and I arrived in Amsterdam instead of Brussels. The guys from CarTrawler ignored not only my request to change the pickup location, but they've been also ignoring my request for a refund but sent me one letter. Only they said that it could take around 20 working days to investigate the case. But even 20 days are already left and I still haven't received any answer!!! Absolutely disgusting!!!

I rent a car through Cartrawler from the airport of Munich. When I went to pick up the car the price was higher than the one displayed at time of booking (the difference was 10 Euro). I had not really other choice than pick up the car because I had already done a prepayment. When I complaint at the desk, they told me that I should contact Cartrawler upon my return. When I returned home I indeed complaint with Cartrawler, which explained me that the prices they display upon the booking are "subject to changes" and if I want to be sure of the price I have to contact the car company directly.

Somebody should explain me i) if this is legal (i.e. display a price subject to arbitrary changes) and ii) what is the added value to rent a car through Cartrawler vs. directly through the rental company. I advise you to check the cheapest price through the Cartrawler website and then book the car directly with the car company. If the price in Cartrawler is cheaper be aware that is "subject to changes" at time you pick it up at the desk!

I rented a car through the Ryanair website, following having bought flight tickets. I needed it to drive from the Rome airport home, and then to drop it at Perugia airport the following morning. The price on the website was 45 euros, plus 9 euros for insurance. The scam goes like this: someone from the car rental phones and offers a free upgrade, claiming they have no more cars in the class you ordered in. They then rebook your car hire at a higher price (in this case 117 euro), hoping that you will not notice. Indeed, on arrival at Rome airport at about 21:00, I signed the forms and left the airport. I only realized the scam when I checked my visa statement. Be warned, booking car hire through Ryanair is not as safe as it looks! I asked the companies concerned to give their account of what happened, but more than 2 weeks later they have not responded!

In mid June I booked a car with Thrifty Car Rentals online. When I went to pick it up at Logan Int. Arpt. in Boston in mid July, I was told I could not use a debit card for payment. Furthermore, I was told I had booked through Cartrawler, which I had never heard of and was nowhere on the Thrifty website when I booked on line. In short, I was unable to pick up said car with Thrifty, even though I had previously paid... with Cartrawler. Trying to sort this out is unnecessarily complicated and I am put off by Cartrawler at every turn. So Cartrawler has about 450 dollars of my money and I'm having to spend time and energy to try to recover it. Sounds like a scam to me.

I reserved a car with arguscarhire.com via Skyscanner online. During the process, I informed my flight number as it was recommended to make sure to receive the car even in case of flight delay. My flight arrived with a delay of 40 minutes and the local rental company was already closed (Sunday evening). Several international telephone calls later they apologized but could not offer a solution. Finally I had extra costs of EUR 250 for taxi and hotel, I missed the next day meeting... Asking them to refund the booking fee of ~70 US$, they informed me that it is not their problem if the flight has a delay. Don't buy from this company!

We pre booked and prepaid for a hire car to be picked up at Pisa airport. We arrived with the required documents and card as per instructions. The rip off petrol deal and the £1500 chargeback to the card which was not going to be returned until 28 days after the return of the car, we had accepted, not with good grace, but we reasoned that was extra we paid for cheaper car hire. We did not plan to take their insurance as we have our own. We were to be penalised for that too.

The credit card unbeknown to us was damaged and this is when things got nasty. They would not accept a card in my name (my husband was the named driver). They were so unhelpful and the clerk actually laughed at our predicament. We were stranded at Pisa airport without transport. (We were able to hire a car from Europcar which was more expensive but very easy and the clerk was very helpful). We were told to apply for a refund through argus hire website.

On our return we contacted argus hire who redirected us to Cartrawler to claim our refund and as a gesture of goodwill??? They deducted £100 from the prepayment of a car we never even saw. This company draws you in with the promise of cheap car hire then puts so many rip off admin charges. You might as well go to a company with a better reputation. It might be more expensive to start with but at least you get what a pay for with no hidden charges. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. ALSO KNOWN AS ARGUS CAR HIRE, AUTOEUROPE AND CARTRAWLER - HIRING FROM GOLDCAR. In future we will go directly to a company such as Avis or Hertz or Europcar. At least they are transparent in their dealings.

I booked two cars at Belfast airport but when arriving at Belfast city airport I found the cars were at Belfast int A/P. Hertz managed give us two cars but charge us £20 a day extra for the cars making £200. I had given details of our flight number/arrival time and when we would pick up the cars. As British Airways only flew into Belfast city airport I feel that Hertz should have realised my mistake and contacted me. As it is I have spent over two months on numerous phone calls and emails to Holiday Autos who then reply about a completely irrelevant subject... do not use Holiday Autos who are in fact CarTrawler.

I've rent a car with this company via Ryanair. Then when I arrived to the rent a car, they did not have the car I choose and they requested me a deposit amount. I requested to cancel the booking and the rent a car confirmed that I'd be cancel without any costs. Going to my bank account the value had been debited so I contacted the Customer Service. The Customer Service by phone is terrible! They mention they are not part of the Customer Service and requested to send an email!! Sending the email I received a confirmation that they will reply within 10 days. After 10 days I received an email mentioning that they will get back within 20 days! This is a ripoff! I did not hire the car and they don't want to refund the money!

I booked a car via Ryanair which I was supposed to pick up at the airport in Podgorica. When I arrived in Podgorica, Hertz informed that they don't have a car for me and they didn't accept the agency reservation and sent them cancellation (which I never got). To open a claim on CarTrawler website is almost impossible. You can enter all the data but at the end you don't receive confirmation that it has been submitted. Once I managed to submit the claim, I had to call their customer call center in order to confirm that they have received the claim. This is also not easy. First the phone number is available only on the Ryanair confirmation, you cannot switch to English. It is in French because I booked from Belgium.

I opened the claim when I was in Montenegro on 19th of June over the phone, then when I came back I opened it on their website on 27th of June. It has been already one month, I called them 10 times and everytime I receive the same feedback "we are working on your case, waiting for Hertz feedback". I must say that Hertz informed me that it was the agency mistake that they didn't inform me about the car unavailability. My advice don't book cars via Ryanair and agencies, do this directly from the supplier.

CarTrawler Company Profile