2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.52/5

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Do not use this overpriced scam of a service. I booked a car hire service to take me from the airport from my return flight with Emirates. I did not realize how much more expensive this was from taking an UBER as they listed the price in euros. After they charged my card I went to cancel the booking after 9 minutes (which is how long it takes for you to figure out where to go on their badly designed website). Because my pick up was less than 24 hours (19 hours to be exact) they took my money, cancelled my booking, and rejected my request for refund. DO NOT USE. They took my money, I did not receive the service, and there was no resolution or refund from them. Please stay away from these scammers.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I made a booking in Mar 2020 and due to the current situation I cancelled by booking on April 15. As of today, July 22, 2020, the company is still playing Mickey Mouse games with me to refund my money. One excuse after another. You are talking about dishonesty at a systemic level. I have sent so many emails and communicated with so many of their customer service reps, but they are all the same. They appear very sympathetic. Do not be fooled. There will be no action. They simply play games with you. Think one million times before you book with these cheaters. I understand these are testing times for all companies, but this does not justify the deceit and the lies. I have received over 10 emails from them apologizing for the delay. It would have taken them a fraction of the time to actually refund my money, but as I said the intention is simply not there.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I cancelled my booking ** on 16/3/20 due to Covid 19 and received confirmation of this cancellation. In the cancellation confirmation it was mentioned that it will take 10 days to process the cancellation but Cartrawler still charged my credit card for the amount of 368.42 eur. I have been trying to contact them by phone and email, which seems to be impossible. I did find a chat system where a ´Hadeer´ informed me on 30/3/2020 that the refund can actually take up to 20 days which would mean that I should receive the refund latest 5/4/2020.

On the 8th of April I contacted Cartrawler again through the chat and a ´Stephanie´ informed me that a refund can take up to 25 days. So, suddenly there is a change again in your refund process which, by chance, means that I should have the money refunded into my account the latest 9/4/2020. Long story short, we are now many emails, phone calls and other contacts further. Today is the 12th of July 2020 and I am still waiting for my refund of 368.42 eur. Please, is there someone that can help me???

Original review: June 30, 2020

I booked a car rental with this company. They were linked to the Alaska airlines website. I paid 3/4 price upfront, but due to covid-19 restrictions, I had to cancel my trip. I went on the website to cancel over 3 weeks in advance. There was a place that it said I could click to cancel my reservation so I did. Apparently if you click that button (the only place offered to click to cancel your reservation) you agree to receive a voucher instead of an actual refund. When I called to ask when I would receive my refund, they said that I will only receive a voucher and there is nothing they can do about it.

They said I should have waited until closer to the date to cancel and then I would have had another option online to receive an actual refund. Wait until closer to the time of the reservation? Are you kidding me? Now I am stuck with a $300 voucher for a car rental that we will need to use in 2 years. We basically never rent cars, so that is $300 we won't get back, and $300 we can't put towards another trip. I am very disappointed in this business and I am disappointed alaska airlines even has connections with them.

Original review: June 9, 2020

While in Malaga Spain I did make a reservation and paid in full on March 22nd via the Renfe Viajes coaches that redirected me to Cartrawler for pick up the next day March 23 at the central station. Pick up was set at 10 am on March 23 for a BMW series 5 or similar and for drop off in Nantes/France on March 26. I did arrive at 09 AM on March 23 to pick up the car but during the night the Spanish government did prohibit all car rental in Spain. Slightly after noon I did received a call from a person saying that car rental was prohibited and that I will get a refund.

I waited and waited but no refund. I finally did ask my credit card company to block this transaction but the credit card company need a written confirmation that Cartrawler accept to refund the rental cost. The Cartrawler website allows via a ''robot'' to fill a claim and to investigate and I did. Three days later the claim has disappear... I finally manage to send an e-mail and got a message that the case will be review... The phone number in Ireland is always busy... Advise to other customer make sure a company send you in writing that you will be refunded otherwise your credit card company does nothing. Still awaiting my refund $$$. Robert **

Resolution response: June 9, 2020

Surprisingly, in less than twelve hours from submitting this report, my credit card received the credit. I do not know if it was the complaint to Emirates Airlines or to Consumers Affairs that induced the swift action by CarTrawler in association with Emirates/ Hospitality Group East Africa/ Online Transport Global Co. I am grateful to have received the credit as promised and apologize for overreacting. However, the COVID 19 experience consumed my patience waiting in isolation for a reply, response and credit. My recommendation to them; Please give us an update as you work on our behalf. That would have deluged the anger while I waited.

Original review: June 9, 2020

They advertise with Emirates Airline booking online. They offered easy cancellation within 24 hrs. before your pick up. However, that did not happen. Due to the COVID 19, I cancelled five months in advance. I got an e-mail from CarTrawler (**) that my reservation was cancelled and successful. Moreover, the e-mail indicated that I would receive my refund within ten business days and replied; kind regards, Cartrawler in association with Emirates team. Now, forty-four days later, no refund! They got me good. Stay away from Cartrawler in association with Emirates Airlines, Hospitality Group East Africa, and Online Transport Global Co. as they were listed in various responses. They got me big time. Join me by subscribing to their business and lose your money.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Booked a car with Dollar for two weeks in USA. Had to cancel trip due to Coronavirus so cancelled car hire direct with Dollar. As I had paid $700 upfront I requested a refund. I was told that as the booking was through CarTrawler I needed to contact them in an email address provided by Dollar. Up to that point I thought I'd been dealing direct with Dollar and still have no clue as to how I booked through the other company. I emailed Cartrawler 5 days before the rental was due and again a few days later and eventually received an email saying I needed to go to their portal. The only action available there was to use their chatbot which was useless. No email or telephone support is provided.

Eventually managed to contact them through ** and have been corresponding with them since trying to get a refund. They are sticking to the small print terms of rental in that cancellations must be through their portal. They have so far ignored the fact that I notified them by email and that had they responded telling me to try their portal in the 5 days before rental pick-up was due I could have fulfilled the terms of the contract and got my $700 back. I have asked for the matter to be escalated but so far no joy. They, unlike all the other companies we booked things through for our trip, are unwilling to help out during this pandemic. I would not recommend or trust this company under any circumstances.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Rented car with CarTrawler agency. What a mistake!! On 18th March 2020 I cancelled this rental due to covid-19. Couldn`t go for holiday if I wanted! Airports closed etc etc. Received email from them saying rental cancelled and that I will get my refund back in 10 working days, ha ha ha. By today 31st May after 74 days after I got nothing back, not a single penny. SHAME on cartrawler. Never again. We will go elsewhere. AVOID CARTRAWLER SCAMMERS.

Resolution response: May 18, 2020

Having placed a negative review on Car Trawler on the Pissed Consumer site they provided me with an email address for Car Trawler. I contacted Car Trawler using that email address and received an immediate response. Within twenty four hours the matter was resolved.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Beware - Easy to book - Impossible to cancel, modify or communicate with them. It was easy to make a booking on their web site where they were offering the best deals at the time - including a second driver at no additional cost. I made this booking in March 2020 to pick up a vehicle from Europcar at Heathrow on 2nd June 2020 and to return it there on 3rd July 2020. This was acknowledged and a confirmation email with a booking reference number was received immediately from them with their name stated as Car Hire Group. Later I noticed that Car Trawler had very many poor reviews, with failure to provide vehicles.

When I checked with Europcar they confirmed that the booking had been made with them. Had I booked directly with Europcar the same booking would have cost considerably more. Car Trawler took a non refundable deposit of AUD$41.00 from my credit card and advised that the balance would automatically be taken on 28th May 2020 (five days prior to taking delivery of the rental car).

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic my flights to UK were cancelled. I have been unable to cancel this booking on Car Trawler's web site. All my emails to them have not been able to be delivered. There is just no way to communicate with this company via their web site or by using the email address they gave. As matters stand they will therefore attempt to take the balance due for this booking from my credit card account. When I discussed this matter with my credit card provider they stated that they could not put a stop on this transaction. So I cancelled that credit card and had a replacement card with a new number issued. An inconvenience but one that should prevent further loss!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Thought was hiring a car through airline but certainly found out I wasn’t when the hire car company Alamo refused to hire is our pre-paid car. These guys then hid behind saying industry standards but no actual documentation as to why they would not refund. Complete rip off. Be careful when booking with airlines who you are truly booking with.

CarTrawler Company Information