1.00/5

391 CarTrawler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

For my holiday on Sicily, I booked and paid for my car rental on days 19.0-22. June 2018. It was a booking on the website of Ryanair's airline reservation number ** (flight number FR 8237). I paid for the service 2.556, 48 CZK and the service should provide the company target rent. In about 20 minutes, the worker arrived and I submitted the above reservation and I was orally informed by the wish to arrange supplementary insurance. From the offered options I opted for insurance of EUR 18 per day. Dealing with this worker was a bit difficult, because he almost did not understand English or German. For example, the term insurance-"Versicherung" I had to translate into itaštiny.

The employee made a phone call to the supervisor and then filled out a green car rental form. No written record has been taken on the requirement to arrange insurance. Only later after the takeover of the vehicle I found that the contract for the lease of the vehicle is concluded in the name of another company-Essepirent.

This would suggest a possible my mistake or inattention to the effect of paying the rental price of Vozilad once again. Fortunately after my Urgenci erroneously debited amount of insurance, the company Essepirent says that my claim price insurance is not justified, that I was mistaken and that the correct amount of insurance is 40 Eur per day. I returned the car on the agreed day (June 22, 2018) with no damage and a full tank. No record was taken about the handover of the vehicle. The communication procedure provided by the vehicle was that the car parking at the designated location of the parking lot and the keys by putting it in the box under the Rental Counter window.

On 25.6.2018 I saw the company Essepirent, Trapani debited the amount of 3.173, 42 CZK which is 30 * 4 = 120 Euros. On 28.6.18 I claimed the amount of the debited amount by email and asked for an explanation. Since my report remained unanswered, I demanded a 3.8.2018 refund of overpaid 48 euros for my account [120-(4 * 18) = 48 EUR] to 20.8.2018. On this report, Essepirent responded on 3.8.2018, stating that the first email was not received, that I remember the thing erroneously and that the correct amount of insurance is €30 per day.

On 12.8. I once again asked repeatedly about sending a document demonstrating the legitimacy of the amount charged for insurance 30 euros per day – it remained unanswered! Due to the lack of a written insurance contract, I request a refund of the required amount of EUR 48, or the total remuneration of EUR 120. I recommend you to cooperate with the company Target rent, Essepirent and possibly others, which are served in the airport Hall of Trapani-Birgi from the last window in a number of other rental agencies at the entrance to the toilet. You can verify that on your Website. Carcrawler.com is there any contact email address? I didn't find it!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

On May 11 of 2018 I rented a car online from this company. They charged me $193.04. I was unable to pick up my car and when I called about getting a refund they told me that the case was closed. I cannot get a refund. I was not allowed to speak to a supervisor and the only way that I can get in touch with management will be through email. Shall do you like you can lose all my money or should I do something about it? If there’s anyone out there that’s been this and Gotten their money back I’m asking for help. Please help me **. I am on a fixed and I can't afford to lose $193.04 just like that.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I pre-paid for a car rental through Dollar Rental. They use CarTrawler. When I got to the rental location to get the car, they would not take my debit/credit card and said it was not valid. ALL LIES, THEY ARE CROOKS! My debit/credit card had plenty of money on it, I had all of the required documents. I pre-paid for a car and they had no intentions of renting a car to me. They changed the price once I arrive. DO NOT PRE-PAY to DOLLAR RENTAL or CARTRAWLER!!!

I requested a refund and they refused. I rent cars all the time due to my travel, so I thought I would try them because they were cheaper. DO NOT DO IT!!! I am filing a complaint with the BBB because a business like this should not be able to take a consumer's money and not give a refund when you did not receive the product. I recommend you rent from a legitimate company. PLEASE BEWARE OF CARTRAWLER - Dollar Rental uses them!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have booked rent a car for 8 days via CarTrawer.com for car rental service. They have a cancellation policy. Full refund can be made if we cancel the booking more than 24 hours of the booking date ahead. Since my travel schedule was changeable, I liked to cancel my booking. However the booking cancellation confirmation never comes even if I tried to get a cancellation through home computer and work computer many times. It is impossible to get it. Booking confirmation with credit card information comes right away. However, cancellation confirmation never comes.

Therefore I asked my credit company not to pay them. However, the third party - another suspicious company named "Carhire" attached booking confirmation paper. CartTrawler or Carhire insists on to pay whole money if I don't have cancellation confirmation. It's very ridiculous they never issue confirmation of cancellation. They are phishing company! Finally I had to pay whole money, because supervisor of my credit card dispute department cannot help me without cancellation confirmation even if I explained over 2 hours. Be aware this phishing company, CarTrawler or Carhire!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Use a serious company instead. We booked a rental car for one week in Italy and have never encountered a company that won't accept a debit card. This ** company charged us for the entire week for a car we were unable to hire and the excuse was that we should have read the full terms and conditions and that they cannot do anything to change the booking (i.e. they don't give a ** about you and just want their money). Goldcar were willing to resolve it if CarTrawler would have updated the booking.

To insult us further we were so kindly offered a discount for our next car hire - well ** you. ** company - from now on we're only using Sixt etc that can be relied on. Why use an agent at all? In the end we rented a car from Sixt ourselves and so we had to pay twice as much for the car hire due to CarTrawler... Use a serious rental company and cut out the middleman. In case there is an issue it can be resolved instead of ending up in a situation similar to ours. I hope this review has a significant economical impact to make up for the money we were cheated out of as they were fully unwilling to help us or have any compassion with regard to this situation. Stay away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I reserved a car rental online with CarTrawler. I arrived to Guadalajara, Mexico and the company told me they didn't have the vehicle I reserved, they don't even have the model of the vehicle I rented onsite. That wasn't the inconvenience. The inconvenience was that they didn't have a similar car size that my family and I needed. They only had smaller vehicles that weren't convenient for my family and I. I had to find somewhere else to get a rental. Put in a claim for my refund and after 2 months of waiting for their decision they decided to only give me a partial refund. That's not acceptable since I didn't use their service. I shouldn't have to pay for something I didn't use.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was searching for my AAA discount and benefits for renting a car through AAA. The website looked 100% legit. Told me to bring my AAA card and everything. I thought I rented a car from Thrifty. All the emails said Thrifty, the credit card details said Thrifty. Only when I went to pick up the car did I find out there was small print and it was CarTrawler. I did not get my AAA benefits of a free second driver. The car was rear-ended and know I have to deal with credit card company and who I actually rented my car from. CarTrawler is intentionally misleading in every way to deceive the consumer and include just enough details in the small print to avoid being sued for fraud. Legally they may not be liable, but their actions are totally deceptive.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I rented a car online to pick up on June 1st in Cleveland. I paid for the car in advance (Biggest Mistake) on May 14th. When I arrived to pick up the car Thrifty Rental Car wanted a deposit and even though I had paid for the car in full, wanted more money. I couldn't afford to pay any more money for the car so I was forced to switch to a different company and luckily my mom was with me and she rented the car.

When I returned home from my vacation I started corresponding with this CarTrawler Company. I submitted proof to them that I did not actually rent the car and yet here I am 3 months later and 3 phone calls to the company, STILL trying to get my money back. My message is DO NOT PAY FOR THE CAR ONLINE! These rental agencies are using outside companies and you would never know it unless it comes down to something like this. I'm currently disputing the charge and will continue to until they return my money. Be wary of paying online.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I hired a car in Croatia, prepaid to Cartrawler 2 months in advance. When I returned the car to the supplier (Sixt) I was told to pay again and Cartrawler would refund the original amount paid. I have tried to get my refund and answers and all I get is "they are investigating and it takes 20 working days." Joke. Don't use Cartrawler. I should have done proper research before paying them.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This place is horrible! I pre-paid to rent a car through Dollar Rental. It wasn't Dollar it was CarTrawler who processes the payments. I didn't know this until after the fact. Long story short, I didn't have a credit card. I prepaid with my Visa/Debit but when I got to the airport, I couldn't rent the car because I didn't have the credit card or an airline ticket because I am local. Long story short, they charged me for a car I didn't rent and wouldn't give my money back. They don't do refunds! What kind of mess is this? They are a rip off, so beware.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I ordered and paid for a rental of a Fiat 124 (Convertible) manual gearbox. I left after 30 minutes waiting at the Avis ticket office with a Fiat 500 automatic, a so-called new car, a public danger! No time to argue, a Friday, August 3 it’s rush vacation, there is a lot of people at the Avis desk... and by the way, the Fiat 124 is not available, I wonder if it was available once. The CarTrawler trap is well built, CarTrawler has plucked me. This provider (CarTrawler) is a ripoff, without regret, it is a beautiful scam. Deal direct with car rental company, never with CarTrawler. Now CarTrawler ask me to wait 20 days to get an answer...

Original review: July 30, 2018

This company does not like customers. I arranged for a hire car at Bordeaux Airport thinking that all would be fine. Not so. Getting the car was a nightmare and to add insult to injury was charged twice what I was quoted. Would not advise anybody to use this company but stay with the better well known and trusted ones. Hertz is an expensive option but they do look after you well and seem to be a lot more professional especially in France.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I did a reservation for car rental in Sevilla, and when I arrived at the desk they refused my credit card. The trick being to try extorting another 100€ upcharge for inconvenient credit card (a Gold Mastercard). I went to Budget/Avis and my credit card became magically good again. These guys are crooks --- run away from them.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Our flight from the States arrived late at Shannon so the car was rented out to somebody else. We rented another car and paid for the week's rental. Then CarTrawler charged us for a week for the first car. They are unavailable by phone, by chat, and the complaint form submitted through their partner car was never answered. Would never deal with these people or their partners.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We did a reservation to CarTrawler.com #** and at the moment for pick up the car, I noticed I forgot my driving license, but my wife has her DL. We changed the name at the website www.cartrawler.com and the answer was 48h for confirmation. We contacted with the chat and the answer was "chat busy, try later." No Tel shown on the confirmation mail. So, after an hour later, we could chat and we got the tel. Talking with an agent this is the conclusion: "We keep your money and you don't receive any service from us." We are very dissatisfied with the experience with Cartrawler.com.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I arranged for an airport pickup through Ryanair. (CarTrawler is a partner, not part of Ryan Air.) No one picked us up, and we waited for over thirty minutes before hiring a taxi. We were, however, charged for this non-service. I tried numerous times to contract CarTrawler customer service, and I continued to get this error message: "Oops, looks like something went wrong. We've logged the issue and will work on making sure this doesn't happen in the future!" This error message was not corrected for over two weeks, so I tried writing the company. Two months later, there has been no response. At this point, it's unlikely that we will get a refund or a response; however, I hope I can help others avoid this experience.

Original review: June 18, 2018

CarTrawler is an outfit you should stay well clear of. Its 'free car hire' guarantee is a scam. I booked a Europcar through CarTrawler for €205; five minutes later I found the same car on Europcar's own website for €130. I submitted the claim for free car hire. They rejected it on the basis that whilst it was indeed 35% cheaper to book directly with Europcar, CarTrawler's insurance excess was higher! Don't believe CarTrawler's free cancellation offer either, I recently had to cancel a Hertz rental I had booked through CarTrawler, to be told that whilst the cancellation was free, there was a €50 administration charge. They are bunch of crooks that you should avoid like the plague.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The definition of false advertising for the average consumer is displaying a price and then when you arrive to collect the car they jack the price through the ceiling AND prevent you from canceling. Worst car hire experience EVER and I rent cars around the world a dozen times a year. Stay away!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I booked and prepaid for a small car. Firstly on the email it stated clearly that a deposit to be held on a credit card is £400 which I had. I also had all the documents required. I could not get onto the voucher as it kept coming up invalid so as it stated on the email I printed and took the email. On arriving to pick up the car I was told I had to have a credit card with OVER £1,000 to hold (which I did not as the email stated £400). To reduce the amount to £400 I would have to pay another £190 on top of the €107 paid for the smallest car for 3 days. I could not take the car because I didn’t have £1,000 on my card and I couldn’t not afford £190 extra as I was on a budget for the weekend.

The girl was very rude stating that it was my fault, I have phoned customer service up who sent an email with a link for a ticket to request refund - THE LINK WAS NOT ON THE EMAIL! I have since read reviews that say they rip you off, they are a dishonest company and con you from the start! THIS IS TRUE!!! Whenever I book again in future no matter what company I will read reviews. DO NOT BOOK WITH THESE - hence I am not expecting a refund even though I did not take the car so add to the list - they are thieves!!! This company is a sham. Go to Avis!!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

While planning a trip to the US from Finland I decided to reserve a car from Avis Rental at Kennedy Airport. I went to the Avis site but, when I filled in my reservation information and gave my Visa credit charge number, I got a "Thank you!" from something called "Cartrawler", and my money was instantly gone. I was sent a contract by email with a pick-up number for the car.

When I arrived at Kennedy and went to Avis to pick up the car, they had never seen such a reservation number. The number, they said, did not pertain to Avis, and they said I was nowhere to be found in their reservation listings. They had no record of me and did not have my reservation money. I had to rent a car from scratch from them, but only after they declared that my credit card was at its limit and required my wife's card. Why was it at its limit? Because I had rented an expensive car for 3 weeks already from Avis! We were given a dirty and quite old car in bad condition. I called and emailed "Cartrawler" to no avail. They had no record of me and had never sent me a reservation number. I had to get Visa to stop payment on the charges. Stay away from CarTrawler!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I booked the car reservation less than 48 hrs prior to when I was going to need to pick the car up. I was traveling stand-by, attempting to get to a friend's funeral. I didn't get on the flight and as soon as I knew I wasn't going to get on the flight, I cancelled the car reservation. This organization charged me a $45 cancelation fee and then, when I received my credit card statement, there was an "international credit card usage fee"! This charge was because the booking was done out of Ireland! DO NOT USE THIS ORGANIZATION!!! THEY ARE BOGUS!

Original review: May 19, 2018

This is what happened to us, after renting a car over Ryanair that turned out to be Buchbinder RentACar/Berlin. First they did not have the car from the class we‘ve paid for 2 months ago. When I said, that I did not want a more expensive car, they told me that they did not accept my card (I‘ve rented all over Europe with this card without any problem). Then they told me, that they would accept my card only, when I take an insurance that brings my risk down to 0%. I already paid 2 months ago for an extra insurance over the Ryanair car-rent page to have the 0% risk. But they said, that would not count for them. Then they said, that taking the insurance with them, would cost me 35€ a day. So they wanted another 7x35€ = 245€.

We felt extorted, but we had no other choice and they said if we denied we would lose the about 190€ we already paid. So I paid it. Then they said, as a compensation, they would give us a better car, which they did. Then they offered us that we buy the gasoline with them, reduced and bringing it back with an empty tank. We paid 55 liters for a tank, they said would fit 60 liters. They would give us 5 liters for free... because of the gasoline that would remain in the tank.

We left with the car... After 585 km we only had gasoline left for 158 km. The usage for 100km was indicated at 6.4/100km. I made a photo of the indication on the dashboard. So I calculated that there have been only 42 liters in the tank. And having a quick look at the internet, I found out that the tank has only 52 liters (Ford Ecosport 1.0) So I know I had been cheated for 18 liters of gasoline). When I brought back the car, I‘ve told them, that they cheated me. And then they went very rough and sent me away, telling me that I had to complain to the Ford company. I did not rent a car from Ford but from them. Later I looked up in the internet the code on the bill for the insurance of 245€. And I found out, that that was over 3x the normal price from that insurance company. We travelled all over the world, renting cars, but we never have been treated this way, by any company...

Original review: May 18, 2018

We arrived at rental desk on 2nd May 2018 2.5 hrs after specified (10:00am) pick up time to be told our car was no longer available as we had exceeded the 2hrs grace period and we now had to make a fresh rental contract even though the car we rented WAS FULLY paid for on Jan 16th. "BUT wait a minute. We can save you some money if you take the Relax zero insurance option. For a mere 21 per day we can waive any additional charges." So a fully paid car rental for 197.48 pounds ended up costing an additional 273 pounds. This behavior is reprehensible and downright dishonest, we cannot put in a customer complaint on the Cartrawler website as it keeps coming up with the following error. "Oops, looks like something went wrong. We've logged the issue and will work on making sure this doesn't happen in the future!" OOOPS the issue has never been sorted.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I rented a car with Cartrawler in Sardinie 27 April to 4 May, 10 days upon returning I was suddenly charged by A&C broker, on behalf of Sicily cars with an additional cleaning charge of 143 Euro excluding VAT. Please note I agree, there was sand in the car, but it had been raining in Sardinia for 3 days and not to be avoided, also to be cleaned in minutes. I would like to bring up the following arguments to why, I dispute the charge and the amount charged.

The charge: First of all it was not brought to my attention that interior cleaning was mandatory before returning the vehicle when picking up the vehicle by the employee explaining the rental procedure to me. Secondly also the documentation that was handed over (I have attached the exhibits) in none of these documents it’s stated clearly that cleaning of the car interior is mandatory. Lastly I want to point out that we the employee complained upon returning the car about the sand in the car, I offered to vacuum the car and clean it inside. I had more than enough time to do so before my flight departure, but this was refused by the employee.

On the amount of the charge: When returning, and discussion on my right to clean the vehicle, the employee confirmed that the charge would be between 20 and 30 euro excluding VAT. This might be acceptable, to my surprise this charge is actually much higher. In the documents attached the cleaning fee (see attachments) is 30 Euro and not 88. Therefore I do not understand why this charge is suddenly much higher. I think Cartrawler works with dodgy partners that ensure that rental is low costs, but tricks like this make up for it. Do not rent via Cartrawler if you don't want surprises. The website of cartrawler works so bad that complaining is nearly impossible and calling is not possible.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I booked a car From CarTrawler at Malaga Airport. We paid on the internet 49,92€ for the rent fee for 10 days and 24€ for the insurance. The Agency there named > OK Rent a Car < ask us for our credit card to take the 1050€ deposit. We give him our VISA Business Card which has worked in hundreds countries for renting Cars! The guy there told us that our Bank Card was a Debit card not a Credit card?

I was very surprised because in every countries around the world (hotel, rent cars agency) they had no difficulties to take the deposit as million of french customers, He told us that it cannot give us the cars booked with CarTrawler, but give us the car from them directly with all insurance for 258,47€ which is not the same price we got form CAR TRAWLER... 73,92€. So we want CARTRAWLER TO refund us of 73,92€ that 's all! I'm sure they know this bad story that is describe as the same for French cus... on many sites. I wait for CarTrawler to refund me 73,92€. I will then modify the good end of the story!

Original review: April 24, 2018

Set up reservations with Thrifty rental in Jan for a March 2018 trip. I thought I was using the Thrifty website not a 3rd party Cartralwer.com. They charged us 427.00 to reserve our rental an 8 passenger van. When we arrived at Thrifty we were told that they no longer accept Debit cards, even though Cartrawler's policy for Thrifty states they do. The lady at the counter dismissed us like we meant nothing. I have repeatedly emailed CarTrawler, they offered us $250 refund in 20 days' time, stating we should have known this before we arrived to pick up the rental. When I emailed them back their agreement, my case was closed and I never got a refund at all. We are now out $427 due to a fraudulent company and no way to contact them since they closed our case.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Yet another case of why no one should ever use CarTrawler for any booking. I booked a car in Cape Town through CarTrawler for which they charged me a "Car Hire Deposit" equal to 18% of the total rental price. I thought this was no problem as it was a Deposit which can only mean that they would pass it on to the actual car rental company, Europcar and it would be eventually set off against the final rental cost. Not so, CarTrawler pockets this "Deposit" and never passes it onto Europcar who having never received it obviously then charges the me the full rental. After several email exchanges CarTrawler simply refused to refund the deposit in effect claiming that although it was stated to be "Car Hire Deposit", it was in fact a booking fee for their benefit.

Europcar, because it required me to pay the full amount upon completion of the rental, couldn't be bothered to tackle CarTrawler on its deceptive practice of labelling the payment a "Car Hire Deposit" since it was fully paid. CarTrawler is guilty of fraud and deceptive business practices by stating the charge is a deposit. Wish I knew of some authority that I could present this claim of deceptive business practices and fraud too.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I hired a 9 seater vehicle but upon arrival at the airport was told there was no car for me. I contacted CarTrawler who had taken my booking and confirmed with Global and they confirmed that they were at fault and they would compensate me for costs incurred and I could make other plans for booking suitable vehicles. Through no other choice we had to book 2 vehicles as no hirer had a 9 seater available but when trying to put in a claim was shocked to find out that CarTrawler had actually cancelled my original booking leaving me in the position of not being able to put in a case claim.

Original review: April 11, 2018

January 14 this year I paid ($159.50) for a car rental with Argus Car Hire. CarTrawler is the actual company based in Dublin, Ireland. Mid February there was an offer from Holiday Car offering a lower rate. Also a CarTrawler agent. I went to Argus Car Hire to cancel rental on their website in accord with the "complete refund" policy if cancelled before 24 hours before pickup. The website refused to accept my request for unexplained reasons. Of course I was charged anyway. Contacted bank to stop payment on credit card. Attempt was made, but CarTrawler reply was that it was my fault and I did not cancel booking but only amended reservation and rebooked. I believe this is a continuing policy to extract funds from international travelers.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Starting with Justfly.com, I made an online reservation through CarTrawler to pick up a vehicle in Costa Rica. The vehicle was to be provided by a car rental agency called Payless. I also bought an insurance policy and paid for both at that time. The vehicle rental fee was US$625.00, and the insurance was US$126.00. When we arrived to pick up the car, Payless would not accept the insurance policy purchased through CarTrawler. I then contacted the insurer (fortunately I had a phone number and even more fortunately, they answered.) and the insurance was canceled and a refund of the $126.00 was issued. Payless required insurance and other fees that added up to US$931.55, which was paid by another member of our party.

There were language issues, but we believed that the $931.00 we had to pay before they would give us the car included the cost of the car rental. After we returned from our trip, it was discovered that the $931.00 was charged on top of the $625.00 rental fee - the added fees, the added fees, which included a US$389.87 charge for insurance that we specifically rejected, were nearly one-and-a-half times the advertised rental fee making the total rental charge US$1556.00(!). When I contacted CarTrawler via the internet they responded with documentation listing the charges and disclaimed any responsibility for the insurance option we had rejected. CarTrawler's missive closed with a, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do." Oh well. Fool me once, their fault; fool me twice, my fault. Once was enough - CarTrawler will not get a second chance...

CarTrawler Company Information