2.1/5 (761 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Rented my car from Alaska Airlines website, assuming this was a reputable company. At the time of purchase, there was nothing to indicate that the voucher did not include rental taxes and fees (like other 3rd party vendors such as Hotwire). What a surprise that my $649 rental became an $897 rental. Even when I asked CarTrawler to investigate, they didn't state that their voucher/price didn't include taxes and fees. It was only when I called Thrifty that they explained that to me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Booked through Alaska Airlines for a car in Detroit. Upon arrival the company they booked me with had discontinued operations in Detroit over 6 months prior. CarTrawler Rep said to just get alternative transportation and they would refund the cost. When I returned from the trip and filed for a reimbursement, they denied it saying I needed a transcript of my conversation with the car rental desk in Detroit; the one that did not exist. Very disappointed that Alaska Airlines brands this as "Alaska Airlines Cars" but it you call Alaska they say they can't help. BTW, the reps were also rude and insulting. Worst experience with any company ever.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I made a car rental reservation through Emirate's website while booking my trip. I was thinking, Emirate Airway booked my car from third party, but I receive a confirmation email from CarTrawler. Few days later, I received a WhatsApp Msg asking for my Passport, DL and other legal documents. My entire travel history, no one ever asked me for all these docs well before car pick up, it’s always over the counter. I though it is spam and ignored it. The booking was made including pick up from airport to location. In their, pick up policy, I must inform about my arrival, so they arrange pick.

During Covid-19 time all domestic and international flight’s schedule were uncertain, so we decided to contact once we land to destination. When I landed and call for a pickup they couldn’t find reservation, after lengthy discussion, they were able find reservation, and told us someone will be there shortly. We waited for 2+ hrs and no one show up for to pick up. I called again, they inform me to come to pick up location to get rental, I denied and ask them to cancel reservation. They didn’t cancel the reservation and charged me for 4 days rental. When I dispute the transaction with my CC company, CarTrawler issue no refund based on their "No Show" policy. If they have responsibility for pick up, how come it’s No Show? They are cheating people in name of “POLICY”.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I write this review, weeks after the actual experience. Mainly to inform others that CarTrawler is NOT a Rental Car service, nor do they have any Cars to rent. After a thorough review of their business history, it is clear that CarTrawler is not at ALL, a service but instead a Reservation Middle-man. I give them 1 star, because I can't give them any less. On Nov 15th 2021, my father in Washington was displaced by the flooding that happened in NE Washington. He lives in Sumas which is about 2hr drive from Seattle. On November 18th my father contacts me to tell me he isn't doing so well, which prompts me to book a flight and a rental car through Alaska Airline's website. In the process of booking my flight, I am offered a "convenience" service to book a rental car. Normally I would book directly through Enterprise Rent a Car service, but took the opportunity for a cheaper discounted "voucher" service through Alaska Airlines portal.

On Nov 20, I book everything, and given a Reservation Voucher number for a Thrifty Rental Car service. What I hoped would be a simple and straight forward process. On Nov 22nd, I land in Seattle, everything go fine so far. I prepaid for everything, food, seat, and car rental. However once I arrived at the Thrifty Rental kiosk, I am presented with "we are sorry, but your voucher did not come through". In which I was informed that I would need to pay the total amount of my reservation, and that the voucher wouldn't actually pay for the service until AFTER I've returned the vehicle. This to me was nearly an additional $800 on top of my prepayment of $350+ (fees, and such).

Since CarTrawler wasn't actually a service, Thrifty did not rent me a vehicle. Leaving me stranded in Seattle for the evening, having to book a hotel room on my dime. Nov 22, 10pm, Alaska Airlines customer service informs me, that I did not book a rental through them. But through a third party service provider. CarHire =/= CarTrawler. Nov 23rd, I contact CarTrawler customer service to be informed that what happened to me, is unique and that they will have to review my case over the next 20 days. Nov 23rd, I go ahead and contact the insurance provider that I paid $88.00 to cover my rental, only to be informed that my situation wasn't covered since I did not receive a rental car through CarTrawler. Essentially telling me that CarTrawler isn't a car rental service but a booking service and my insurance payment wasn't covering anything.

Nov 25th, I contact CarTrawler service again, to inquire about a refund or to cancel my booking due to the missed pickup date. CSR (customer service rep) tells me again, nothing they can do, but give me a reference number to my complaint. Dec 1st, After dealing with my fathers situation, I am without any refund. and I receive a email from CarTrawler asking me to describe the situation to them. I detail this story, in similar words only to be told I will have to wait their 20 days to review my complaint. Dec 15th, I receive a email from CarTrawler asking me to provide them bank statements, photocopy of my debit/credit cards used, and pretty much saying there will be another 20 day delay in reviewing my case. At this point, I have already returned my Enterprise Car Rental, and have helped my father in obtaining a new vehicle to drive with. So at this point I don't need any rental services.

Since the email on the 15th was essentially asking for a photocopy of my credit card/debit. this raised red flags. ALL STOP. At this point, just file a dispute or a chargeback with your financial institution. CarTrawler has absolutely no intention on refunding the voucher reservation costs. If you paid any additional costs to insure or protect your "voucher" purchase, you would have pretty much paid CarTrawler's $57 cancellation fee. At this point I sent CarTrawler multiple emails describing the situation, only to be told there is nothing they can do. CarTrawler is NOT a car rental service, they do NOT have cars, but they are ONLY a reservation/booking service, pretending to be part of the company you used to reserve through.

A brief history of CarTrawler shows the company has been sold multiple times in the past four years alone, as a business investors group. They make their money off of the fees, and forgotten refunds to help drive up their profitability. Again, I warn anyone NOT to ever book your services through any 3rd party company like CarHire or CarTrawler. I should have known it was a scam back in Nov 20th, because my financial institution locked my payment card when I initially reserved my rental. I had later on realize that CarTrawler is based in Dublin Ireland. It is NOT an American company. I am copying and pasting my review across various consumer reporting services. Considering since actual reviews from people are negative... any positive review is suspect.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I thought I rented a car through Budget, but apparently it was through Cartrawler as a third party. On the website it was not clear that you needed a credit card to rent a card, but this information was written in an email right after I had pre-paid. I did not have a credit card, so I called the company immediately to cancel. I was then told by the man on the phone that I would get a full refund since I cancelled within 24 hours, and that he would do the cancellation for me. I double checked that I would get the full refund, and he said all my money would be back on my bank account within 20 days. It has now been one and a half month, and I have still not received my money. I have tried to contact them via mail and on the booking website, but they do not answer. I am now 300euros short, something that have made it hard for me to pay my bills since this whole ordeal started. Do not trust this company with your money.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have never been cheated before with car rental; Do not - and do never - use CarTrawler!! We prepaid a one-week car rental in Sicily through CarTrawler with a visa card. When we arrived at Sicily, we were taken to this far-away rental shop ("OptimoRent"), where they blankly refused to give us the car on grounds that we did not present them with a Credit card (i.e. MasterCard) in the driver's name because they wanted to get a €1000 deposit additionally on that card. We did present them with such a card, and with multiple Visa cards (Debit), but they would not listen, and they basically threw us out of the shop (and they did the same with another traveller in the same situation) and took all our prepaid money. CarTrawler was just saying blah blah blah to our complaint. Searching the net, I can see that multiple people have been in the same situation with CarTrawler. This company is a scam and I will pursue to get this stopped.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I was not sufficiently informed when the car pick-up wanted to pick up later. Car rental was canceled. Entire booking amount was retained. Not acceptable. Missing information, missing car, so my vacation started badly. Still no refund.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I would give this 0 stars but wasn’t able!! I thought I was renting a car in Florence, Italy directly from SIXT rental but soon realized after being immediately charged over $1000 upfront that this was not the actual car rental agency but a third party. When we got to the rental agency the next day to pick up the car we found out I needed an international driver's license with SIXT so they said the voucher that Cartrawler submitted would not work.

So to remedy the problem my friend who was traveling with me had one but they needed Cartrawler to transfer the voucher to her name (especially since I had already paid for the voucher!)...The car rental agency got on the phone (very hard to get their number and their website was down for a day so I didn’t even have the voucher number!) and they refused to change the voucher and their excuse was that I was “late” picking up the car (that was already paid for and waiting for me!)….They have even disputed my dispute with AMEX about the charge saying I didn’t show up!! This is an absolute fraudulent site. Be aware of them when on sites like KAYAK. We had to recharge the rental with my friend and it was 25% cheaper direct with SIXT and they didn’t charge her card until after the trip was completed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I tried to book a car with a debit card which was only possible with credit card. So I got an email that the car was not booked with your debit card. And after two days the money was deducted from my debit card for the car which I wanted to book. I asked CarTrawler to pay me my money back but they refuse to pay back.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

CarTrawler is the worst. My flight was canceled after I had prepaid for a car rental for 2 days. I worked tirelessly with the airlines to book another flight the following day to attend my sister’s funeral. When I arrived to pick up my rental I explained I had prepaid for 2 days but I would only need it for one day. I was told I needed to contact CarTrawler for a refund and the rental car company charged me taxes and fees and placed a $500.00 hold on my card. When I contacted CarTrawler I was told they could not refund me the difference of what I had paid. This is illegal to charge for services not rendered. I spoke with a manager who basically said it’s too bad my flight was canceled and the company is not going to issue a refund. He sent me information about filing a complaint however it will take 20 business days to resolve the complaint with no guarantee for a refund. This company does not need to be in business. This is not how you treat customers.

CarTrawler Company Information