1.00/5
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 24, 2018

371 CarTrawler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I booked the car reservation less than 48 hrs prior to when I was going to need to pick the car up. I was traveling stand-by, attempting to get to a friend's funeral. I didn't get on the flight and as soon as I knew I wasn't going to get on the flight, I cancelled the car reservation. This organization charged me a $45 cancelation fee and then, when I received my credit card statement, there was an "international credit card usage fee"! This charge was because the booking was done out of Ireland! DO NOT USE THIS ORGANIZATION!!! THEY ARE BOGUS!

Original review: May 19, 2018

This is what happened to us, after renting a car over Ryanair that turned out to be Buchbinder RentACar/Berlin. First they did not have the car from the class we‘ve paid for 2 months ago. When I said, that I did not want a more expensive car, they told me that they did not accept my card (I‘ve rented all over Europe with this card without any problem). Then they told me, that they would accept my card only, when I take an insurance that brings my risk down to 0%. I already paid 2 months ago for an extra insurance over the Ryanair car-rent page to have the 0% risk. But they said, that would not count for them. Then they said, that taking the insurance with them, would cost me 35€ a day. So they wanted another 7x35€ = 245€.

We felt extorted, but we had no other choice and they said if we denied we would lose the about 190€ we already paid. So I paid it. Then they said, as a compensation, they would give us a better car, which they did. Then they offered us that we buy the gasoline with them, reduced and bringing it back with an empty tank. We paid 55 liters for a tank, they said would fit 60 liters. They would give us 5 liters for free... because of the gasoline that would remain in the tank.

We left with the car... After 585 km we only had gasoline left for 158 km. The usage for 100km was indicated at 6.4/100km. I made a photo of the indication on the dashboard. So I calculated that there have been only 42 liters in the tank. And having a quick look at the internet, I found out that the tank has only 52 liters (Ford Ecosport 1.0) So I know I had been cheated for 18 liters of gasoline). When I brought back the car, I‘ve told them, that they cheated me. And then they went very rough and sent me away, telling me that I had to complain to the Ford company. I did not rent a car from Ford but from them. Later I looked up in the internet the code on the bill for the insurance of 245€. And I found out, that that was over 3x the normal price from that insurance company. We travelled all over the world, renting cars, but we never have been treated this way, by any company...

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We arrived at rental desk on 2nd May 2018 2.5 hrs after specified (10:00am) pick up time to be told our car was no longer available as we had exceeded the 2hrs grace period and we now had to make a fresh rental contract even though the car we rented WAS FULLY paid for on Jan 16th. "BUT wait a minute. We can save you some money if you take the Relax zero insurance option. For a mere 21 per day we can waive any additional charges." So a fully paid car rental for 197.48 pounds ended up costing an additional 273 pounds. This behavior is reprehensible and downright dishonest, we cannot put in a customer complaint on the Cartrawler website as it keeps coming up with the following error. "Oops, looks like something went wrong. We've logged the issue and will work on making sure this doesn't happen in the future!" OOOPS the issue has never been sorted.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I rented a car with Cartrawler in Sardinie 27 April to 4 May, 10 days upon returning I was suddenly charged by A&C broker, on behalf of Sicily cars with an additional cleaning charge of 143 Euro excluding VAT. Please note I agree, there was sand in the car, but it had been raining in Sardinia for 3 days and not to be avoided, also to be cleaned in minutes. I would like to bring up the following arguments to why, I dispute the charge and the amount charged.

The charge: First of all it was not brought to my attention that interior cleaning was mandatory before returning the vehicle when picking up the vehicle by the employee explaining the rental procedure to me. Secondly also the documentation that was handed over (I have attached the exhibits) in none of these documents it’s stated clearly that cleaning of the car interior is mandatory. Lastly I want to point out that we the employee complained upon returning the car about the sand in the car, I offered to vacuum the car and clean it inside. I had more than enough time to do so before my flight departure, but this was refused by the employee.

On the amount of the charge: When returning, and discussion on my right to clean the vehicle, the employee confirmed that the charge would be between 20 and 30 euro excluding VAT. This might be acceptable, to my surprise this charge is actually much higher. In the documents attached the cleaning fee (see attachments) is 30 Euro and not 88. Therefore I do not understand why this charge is suddenly much higher. I think Cartrawler works with dodgy partners that ensure that rental is low costs, but tricks like this make up for it. Do not rent via Cartrawler if you don't want surprises. The website of cartrawler works so bad that complaining is nearly impossible and calling is not possible.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I booked a car From CarTrawler at Malaga Airport. We paid on the internet 49,92€ for the rent fee for 10 days and 24€ for the insurance. The Agency there named > OK Rent a Car < ask us for our credit card to take the 1050€ deposit. We give him our VISA Business Card which has worked in hundreds countries for renting Cars! The guy there told us that our Bank Card was a Debit card not a Credit card?

I was very surprised because in every countries around the world (hotel, rent cars agency) they had no difficulties to take the deposit as million of french customers, He told us that it cannot give us the cars booked with CarTrawler, but give us the car from them directly with all insurance for 258,47€ which is not the same price we got form CAR TRAWLER... 73,92€. So we want CARTRAWLER TO refund us of 73,92€ that 's all! I'm sure they know this bad story that is describe as the same for French cus... on many sites. I wait for CarTrawler to refund me 73,92€. I will then modify the good end of the story!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Set up reservations with Thrifty rental in Jan for a March 2018 trip. I thought I was using the Thrifty website not a 3rd party Cartralwer.com. They charged us 427.00 to reserve our rental an 8 passenger van. When we arrived at Thrifty we were told that they no longer accept Debit cards, even though Cartrawler's policy for Thrifty states they do. The lady at the counter dismissed us like we meant nothing. I have repeatedly emailed CarTrawler, they offered us $250 refund in 20 days' time, stating we should have known this before we arrived to pick up the rental. When I emailed them back their agreement, my case was closed and I never got a refund at all. We are now out $427 due to a fraudulent company and no way to contact them since they closed our case.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Yet another case of why no one should ever use CarTrawler for any booking. I booked a car in Cape Town through CarTrawler for which they charged me a "Car Hire Deposit" equal to 18% of the total rental price. I thought this was no problem as it was a Deposit which can only mean that they would pass it on to the actual car rental company, Europcar and it would be eventually set off against the final rental cost. Not so, CarTrawler pockets this "Deposit" and never passes it onto Europcar who having never received it obviously then charges the me the full rental. After several email exchanges CarTrawler simply refused to refund the deposit in effect claiming that although it was stated to be "Car Hire Deposit", it was in fact a booking fee for their benefit.

Europcar, because it required me to pay the full amount upon completion of the rental, couldn't be bothered to tackle CarTrawler on its deceptive practice of labelling the payment a "Car Hire Deposit" since it was fully paid. CarTrawler is guilty of fraud and deceptive business practices by stating the charge is a deposit. Wish I knew of some authority that I could present this claim of deceptive business practices and fraud too.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I hired a 9 seater vehicle but upon arrival at the airport was told there was no car for me. I contacted CarTrawler who had taken my booking and confirmed with Global and they confirmed that they were at fault and they would compensate me for costs incurred and I could make other plans for booking suitable vehicles. Through no other choice we had to book 2 vehicles as no hirer had a 9 seater available but when trying to put in a claim was shocked to find out that CarTrawler had actually cancelled my original booking leaving me in the position of not being able to put in a case claim.

Original review: April 11, 2018

January 14 this year I paid ($159.50) for a car rental with Argus Car Hire. CarTrawler is the actual company based in Dublin, Ireland. Mid February there was an offer from Holiday Car offering a lower rate. Also a CarTrawler agent. I went to Argus Car Hire to cancel rental on their website in accord with the "complete refund" policy if cancelled before 24 hours before pickup. The website refused to accept my request for unexplained reasons. Of course I was charged anyway. Contacted bank to stop payment on credit card. Attempt was made, but CarTrawler reply was that it was my fault and I did not cancel booking but only amended reservation and rebooked. I believe this is a continuing policy to extract funds from international travelers.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Starting with Justfly.com, I made an online reservation through CarTrawler to pick up a vehicle in Costa Rica. The vehicle was to be provided by a car rental agency called Payless. I also bought an insurance policy and paid for both at that time. The vehicle rental fee was US$625.00, and the insurance was US$126.00. When we arrived to pick up the car, Payless would not accept the insurance policy purchased through CarTrawler. I then contacted the insurer (fortunately I had a phone number and even more fortunately, they answered.) and the insurance was canceled and a refund of the $126.00 was issued. Payless required insurance and other fees that added up to US$931.55, which was paid by another member of our party.

There were language issues, but we believed that the $931.00 we had to pay before they would give us the car included the cost of the car rental. After we returned from our trip, it was discovered that the $931.00 was charged on top of the $625.00 rental fee - the added fees, the added fees, which included a US$389.87 charge for insurance that we specifically rejected, were nearly one-and-a-half times the advertised rental fee making the total rental charge US$1556.00(!). When I contacted CarTrawler via the internet they responded with documentation listing the charges and disclaimed any responsibility for the insurance option we had rejected. CarTrawler's missive closed with a, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do." Oh well. Fool me once, their fault; fool me twice, my fault. Once was enough - CarTrawler will not get a second chance...

Original review: April 4, 2018

When we landed at Auckland airport we went to pick up our car that we pre-paid for. The rental company was closed. There was no customer service person when we called and no response to our messages. We had to rent another car from a different company. We have been trying to get our refund for over a month. No response!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I tried renting a car from Dollar Car Rental (a division of Hertz). I was happy with the price and decided to use the "pre-pay" feature. I entered my details, I put in my credit card information, and reserved the car with no issues. What I didn't know is the 3rd party transaction company in the background that has completely unrealistic terms on their own site, that are not coordinated with the terms on the rental company's site. When it came time to pick up the rental car, I did not have enough credit on my reserved credit card. That would have been fine, except this is my only credit card (credit limit only $300) and I had no other ways of paying. I pay in cash ALWAYS, and this was not an options because of the unpublished $350 holding fee they put on your card. They would not allow to pay an additional amount in cash, only credit card.

Now, since I had to cancel my reservation, they have kept the $75 deposit on my credit card. In no way are they refunding my money. They say their policy is a 48 hour cancellation notice and since I "canceled" on site at time of pick-up, this was not in the windowed time frame. Again, I say this nowhere in the rental agreement at time of checkout. The only thing the rental agreement eludes to is having enough of a credit line for additional charges, which I took as the remainder of the balance, not a $350 hold on my card.

The amount of time I have been emailing them (the only option to address this), has well cost them over the $75 in man hours to do the research I have requested and replies they have had to type. I no way, shape or form, will I ever deal with any car rental company that uses CarTrawler for their back-end transactions. I will be filing a dispute of charges with my credit card company and recommending to everyone I talk to to never use any company affiliated with CarTrawler.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Thought I was renting a car with Thrifty, apparently their prepaid reservations go through Cartrawler. When I went to cancel my reservation 2 days ahead of rental, Cartrawler said I wasn't within the 48 hr window and would be charged $55. I said no, the policy is 24 hrs, as I was looking at the policy on the computer as we were talking. They requested a screenshot which I emailed, and then they told me a week later that they didn't receive the email! Obviously they did because I got an automated response when I sent it. So then they said they would open an investigation which would take another 3 weeks. At this point I had enough of their BS so I simply filed a dispute with my credit card company. This company is shady and disreputable and should be banned from doing business.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I booked online with Dollar. 10 days after car return, I was charged for excess mileage though my booking was for unlimited mileage. Dollar is ok for refund but asked my to contact CarTrawler which I did with no answer.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I didn't know I went through CarTrawler/ETrawler LDT. I booked from the Dollar Rent a Car website. The first I heard about ETrawler LTD was when I saw the charge on our credit card. Our credit card was charged more than the original paperwork stated. We were also charged for taxes, etc. at the Dollar counter when we picked up the car. Nobody was there at 5:00 PM to inspect the car when we picked it up. We returned the car with exactly the same amount of gas as when we picked it up but were charged over $17.00 for a gallon and a half of gas. There were also numerous other charges when we returned the car. One example is the license plate return fee. What the heck is that? Decided then never to use Dollar again. Since I never heard of ETrawler before, I know now NEVER to use (?) them again either.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I made a reservation for a car through a third party on this site. When I tried to pick up the car at the airport, the car agency stated that cartrawler.com made it for a different date. A date that was much earlier (roughly 6 weeks) and in no way lined up with when I even made the original agreement. It was a completely random date. When I attempted to contact CarTrawler to rectify this as quickly as possible, so I could leave the airport, there is only a corporate headquarters number provided.

The only customer service contact offered was through email, where you are notified of a 20 day waiting period for them to get back to you. When they finally did contact me, I was informed that because I didn't contact them 24 hours before I was to pick up the car, I wasn't entitled to a refund. Firstly, I didn't ask for a refund right off the bat. I asked that my dates of rental be corrected and the agreement honored so I could leave the airport. Avis was wonderful about getting me into another car, but it was an extra $350 that I should not have had to spend.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Argus Car Hire/CarTrawler failed to inform the carrier desk of my flight number. When my arrival was delayed until late (1:15am) all desks were closed and I was unable to pick up my vehicle. The next morning when I phoned in to attempt a resolution I was informed my FULLY PRE-PAID reservation had expired and they would NOT issue me another one due to company policy. I argued for a while asking to speak with a supervisor and they would not comply. In the end they hung up on me after repeatedly telling me that there was nothing they could do. I had paid them in full for a service and received absolutely nothing in return.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I booked the Dollar Rental on CarTrawler for personal use. Debit card transactions was honored on prepaid booking...but my husband was denied the car when he went to collect it at Lehigh Valley Airport for Dollar Rental do not do debit card transactions. I cancelled the reservation on Dollar Rental and was hung up for NO refund from the customer service also came to know that I had booked with a 3rd party agent Cartrawler.

I did called Cartrawler customer service and received an email that no refund be issued due to their scamster terms and conditions. The terms clearly stated that debit card transactions are not honored in prepaid bookings. In the 7th program it's clearly stated that debit card and dollar credit card are not valid form of payments. The worst customer service and transactions are null and void. Still I was charged and the case have been re-opened and awaiting on the response of refund. Not a honorable company to deal with both Cartrawler and Dollar Car Rental.

Original review: March 20, 2018

In June, 2017, I made flight & car rental reservations through JustFly for an October trip to Orlando. Car rental reservation came through CarTrawler, with whom JustFly has a partnership. When I arrived at airport, I contacted the 800 # and was told a shuttle would arrive in 5-10 min, I was to report to 'off airport rental shuttle' area. No shuttle arrived, called again in 30 minutes & given same response. Ninety minutes from the time this all began, I am told that Orlando office is likely closed, I'll need to go through another rental agency. Was fortunate to secure a car but at 10X the cost of CarTrawler quote.

Attempted communication with CarTrawler several times, submitted a letter stating my complaint & was told there was nothing more they could do, but refund the cost of their quote. Communicated with JustFly who told me that THEY would file a complaint with CarTrawler and I could expect communication back from CarTrawler, but there was nothing more that JustFly could do. I have since attempted to re-contact CarTrawler and get no response using their posted telephone numbers.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Worked on setting up business trip thru Hotels.com. Reserved room then moved to Car Rental link. Made selections went to "Book Now" but got error message: "We are sorry but a technical problem occurred while processing your booking. Your booking was not completed and your card has not been charged. Please try again or contact us so that we may assist you." Called Hotels.com for support. Reps DID NOT LISTEN, kept trying get me hotel reservation. Only support offered for CarTrawler was international call to Ireland. NO SUPPORT IN USA. Never got chance to make car reservation thru their website.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I rented a car last minute through what I assumed was Dollar Rental Car and I am a Dollar Express Member. By being a member I can usually skip the rental counter and head straight to my car but on this occasion I had to go to the counter. At the counter I advised the clerk that I would like to use another credit card other than that I used to reserve the car, no problem. Dropped the car off when I was done went back to the counter to ensure everything was OK because I just had a gut feeling that my original card would be charged but the clerk said I was good to go.

Later I observed that I was charged more money on original card from a CarTrawler company out of Dublin, Ireland so I called the number associated with the charge and it's a company associated with Dollar who advised me that the charge was for my reservation at which time I advised them that I had paid the rental in full at the counter with another card and they needed to refund my charge and they said they would investigate it and let me know in 4-6 months in advised them I had the receipts and that I would email them and they refused to accept them.

I then contacted the credit card company and they advised that they have had numerous complaints and fraudulent charges from this company and that they also had flagged my account for a bunch of charges in the UK for which I did not authorize. So my card was cancelled and I was sent another card. Now, I get a threatening email from CarTrawler asking why I disputed the charge and by me doing so it would result in additional charges to my account. This is absolutely ridiculous that I have to put up with this BS.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Rented car online. Pre paid with debit card. Went to pick up car the next day. Clerk stated I couldn't pick up the car unless I had a valid credit card. I didn't. Didn't get the car. Called Dollar Rental and was referred to Cartrawler. Called Cartrawler requesting a refund of payment to debit card. I was turned down, stating that I needed to reserve the car with a credit card in order to get a refund. Even though the online site accepted the debit card to reserve the car. Now I know how they stay in business. No refunds. Never again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I made a car rental transaction through CarTrawler online. I paid the deposit, however, nowhere did they disclose that they are a foreign, NON USA company, therefore I was also charged foreign transaction fees by my credit card company. If I had known I would have used a different credit card with no such fees. Also, they incorrectly underestimated the taxes and fees, therefore, I had to pay more at the rental counter then they had disclosed on my original, online rental receipt. This company is not up to my standards and I will NOT be using them again. Be leary of companies of such as CarTrawler, that are hiding and misrepresenting information online. I called CarTrawler and they did nothing to help me. Not a reputable company at all. They put themselves above the customer, that is for sure.

Original review: March 17, 2018

CHEAT-CHEAT-CHEAT. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. DONT USE THEM. BOOKING A CAR IS EASY, but, couldn't expect such a theft if I had rented the car and paid their ridiculous deposit, 1000 UK Pound. Rent of car including insurance. 95 UK. Pounds, not expensive, but a cheap car, a small car, ok. BUT 1000 UK Pounds as deposit, so I canceled my booking right away, and got a confirmation mail soon after that I would receive my money back 10 BANK DAYS after. This was the 1st of March 2018, now it is the 17th of March and nothing has happened yet.

I have been in contact with them on the phone in Norway. Several times... I have been in contact with my bank online support several times...but nothing happens. So I have therefore send the CARTRAWLER an email, in which I inform the Company of, that my price PR. hour waiting for my return transfer of my money is 200.00 Kroners-25%VAT. And I have also informed the Cartrawler Company, that as soon as I am back in Denmark then I will contact a lawyer and press charges against this company and bring them to Court of Justice. If we, as customers does any harm or violations to the agreed contract, or damage the rented vehicle in any ways, then we are being drawn all the way to the Gallow hill and are being hung at noon... Now I am going to kick their arses so hard they know they have been hit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I booked a flight and car through Ryanair website. Car Hire is operated by CarTrawler. I booked the car, payment was taken on my credit card and a voucher issued. On arrival at destination Airport being Paphos in Cyprus I proceeded to the Europcar desk. On arrival and handing in voucher they had no record of my booking. After investigation by the very helpful Europcar operative she found the car had been cancelled. I contacted the booking company and they say it was cancelled at 11.15 am on 21/02/18. As I was in midflight at this time it obviously was not me cancelled.

Original booking was £14.33. I hired a car through Europcar at a cost of €58.50. A vast difference for which I requested a refund from Cartrawler. They refused saying I cancelled hire. I am now being sent round in circles replying to emails just saying this booking was cancelled. Customer Services replied with the same reply, "Booking cancelled." The payment was refunded but I am still out of pocket. Whilst this is not a large amount it is the principle of what has happened that people need to be warned about.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018 CAUTION, CAUTION, CAUTION when renting a Thrifty car through CarTrawler. Nothing is as it is shown. At the end you will have to pay triple the value shown.

Thrifty and CarTrawler are stealing people's money. This happened to me and from what I later saw in the comments, with thousands of people. If I had researched better before, I would never give my credit card number to Thrifty and CarTrawler. Avoid being deceived by these two companies. Look for honest car rental companies.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I booked Toyota Rav4. We went to pick up car from Cancun Mexico. We waited there 2 hours to get the car. They said, "We don't have Rav4. We can give you 4 door sedan Kia car". We are 5 people and we had 3 luggage and 5 handbags. I paid for SUV not for car. They asked me on the counter. We have to pay third party insurance $350 more. When I booked the car was included third party insurance. On the web when I booked the SUV was showing Toyota RAV4 or slimmer. Why they want to give me small car. She said, "If you don't want car we give you money back". I paid in August 2017. I emailed them too many times. Now they said, "We are not refund you money". I lost $389.00 CAN. Please don't rent car from this company. I looked all the reviews. All is bad. Stealing money from people.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

BEWARE of this company that operates under various names like Car Trawler, Argus Car Hire, Etrawler etc and pays people to put good reviews on all forums! Just google the above names and see all the complaints that pop up. They are all the same company and we got SCAMMED by one of them before we realized they are all the same! DO NOT USE THEM. We booked a Mazda Demio or similar, AT, AC, class of car. We got an old junk Nissan Tiida that did not suit any of our needs and the AT was useless since the car wouldn't go up any inclination at all without manual gear change.

There were scratches, dents, and markings all over the car. The AC vents were shut off and broken so it did not work. They promised us monetary compensation because by their own admission we should not have been given this car. The service company agreed to refund but were waiting for Argus/Car Trawler to pay them and Argus said they won't do anything about it! It's been weeks and we haven't heard a word from anyone despite repeated mails and calls. I strongly suggest you get yourself a better a car rental company and don't book via Argus/Car Trawler/Etrawler. Do not get fooled like we were since it was our first time!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Stay away from this company. They will overcharge you and hold a deposit over 2000 euro. Stay away and book somewhere else. I have canceled my booking and I am having problem getting my money back. Time to call my Credit card company...

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I made a booking for a 7 seater Chevrolet Tahoe or similar under Booking Reference Number: ** Confirmation no. **. My pickup was scheduled for pickup at Dubai international airport T1 from Dollar Rent a Car. I went 15 mins before pickup and was informed that they have the booking but they don't have any 7 seater. I had paid in full in advance for a 7 seater four days ahead of pickup day, but despite this, no 7 seaters were reserved for me. When I called CarTrawler, to complain on this non-availability, I was asked a bunch of question like, did I go to the pickup before my pickup time, did I go the correct local rent a car company, after I had answered these questions, I asked the agent if she would like to speak to the local rent a car company, and they spoke.

Now CarTrawler is convinced that there are no 7 seaters, she asked if I can settle for a saloon car (4 seater). I disagreed and asked of either 7 seater or immediate refund. I was told refund will take more than 20 days after they investigate if the issue was due to my fault or rent a car faults. CarTrawler are unprofessional who are not fit to run a rent a car portal. Please avoid them. The only reason I choose them was due the fact I traveled in Emirates airline and CarTrawler was the rent a car option on their website.

CarTrawler Company Information