2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

2.2/5 (755 ratings)

About CarTrawler

CarTrawler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarTrawler?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

CarTrawler is the name of the car rental company. Too bad we can't give a "zero" to this company, remember the name, "CarTrawler". If you are looking for a car company that will DISAPPOINT, MAKE EXCUSES AND RIP YOU OFF, then this is the company you will want to deal with for car rentals. "READ THE HORRIBLE REVIEWS" before thinking about dealing with them. I wish I had been tipped off before my bad experience. How do they stay in business? I "CANNOT" make it more clear, you will have problems using CarTrawler and the lure of a better price is how they prey on unassuming consumers. You will not save money. Read the reviews and you will understand.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I booked a hotel and car package through Hotels.com. I booked a 7 passenger vehicle and paid a deposit on the vehicle. When I went to Fox Rentals to pick up the vehicle, they did not have one to seat the 6 people in our group. Fox got me in touch with another provider which had a vehicle available. The Fox rep was great. The replacement vehicle was $40 more. When I asked CarTrawler for a refund on my deposit, they declined. They stated that a car was offered and I declined, so no refund. Offering a smaller car that does not fit the size of our family is not in keeping with the contract. Beware!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Don't book with them if you go to Malaga. Visa code gives error (afterwards I've read that other people had this also) and then they force you to pay extra insurance of 220€ or no car. (We already paid for extra AXA insurance.)

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

On internet site KLM where I booked a airplane ticket for Toulouse I also booked a car at Cartrawler to be picked up at Toulouse airport. Everything seemed fine. Payments for car rental and insurance were done through my Visa card. All documents were mailed. Received some days before pick up my voucher and definite confirmation. After arrival at Toulouse airport at the right day and time I did not get a car. No reasons, no explanation for not giving me a car were ever given. Of course I complained in several ways but now three months later, I never got any answer, any explanation, any excuse or compensation. I had to hire at the airport a car from another company (Avis) and paid €280 more than I had already paid to Cartrawler. Cartrawler is not a honest and decent company, it is a scam gang. Avoid this company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

We booked a car online for a trip to Malta, we paid full amount. We were not able to pick up the car. No solution propose (after pick up time, you don t exist anymore, no possible change, you are no longer a customer, you even don't exist anymore in the database, you cannot access anymore your reservation status) no customer support, everything is done to steal your money without any provided service. A disaster, a joke. Can provide all emails on request.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I reserved a car through cartrawler.COM. No car was available at the rental company. I have not received a refund either. Car rental requested a credit card for "security" even so I have paid for complete insurance no deductible. I provided a valid credit card. They refuse to accept the credit card, so I offered cash deposit, still not good. The lot attendant told me they have no cars. I did research with other rental companies, it turns out that the rental companies on Crete play this trick when they do not have a car. This a fraudulent operation by CARTRAWLER.com s/b renamed CAR-FRAUD.com

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Updated on 01/12/2020: I paid for a rental car last April. I showed up, and no car. I was told to go to another agency and I would be repaid later. That never happened... I called customer service 10 times, I went to InterRent/ CarTrawler helpdesk and tried to get my money back. No one interested in helping me, or even standing by what I was promised. So CarTrawler owes me 200 euros plus 500 euros. I will never be repaid this, after 1 year of effort. So if I know I can scare away at least 10 customers from this utter crap company then I will be very satisfied. Please, stay away from CarTrawler and InterRent. Much more worthwhile going with a more expensive company but you will at least get a car you have prepaid for at least....

Original review: I booked a rental car with CarTrawler in April. Prepaid. I arrive to InterRent desk, there is no car. I call customer service, they tell me I can rent from AVIS and they would reimburse me. No problems. We are now in October. I still have not been reimbursed after 20 phone calls and 50 emails. In the end, I did get a reply that I will not be reimbursed because I "failed to present a valid credit card when picking up the car". WTF. I also wrote to Michael Nolan Chief Customer Officer, to tell him how my case has been managed. No reply yet. CarTrawler owes me €500 still, and I will continue to post this review everywhere until I get my money back. Until then, STAY AWAY. Europcar etc are more expensive but at least you don't need to be scared you will be shafted should anything happen.... Adam

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We have the same negative experience with CarTrawler (hired by Ryanair Car Hire) as many of you had. The scheme is very similar: the service customer paid for in advance is not provided, instead customer is forced by a rental company (yes, forced, as there is no other option) to prepay for already paid service and asked to address all complaints later to CarTrawler. However, as they cooperate with final rental companies, they 1. do never say "sorry, we made the mistake you paid for", 2. they will accuse you that the extra fees are your problem, 3. if this does not work, they will accuse you that the fee is for something completely different you even did not cause yourself (in summary they know at the moment the force you to pay in advance for their fault that two weeks later it will in fact be your fault... Nonsense), 4. you will never see your money back.

Our experience: Instead of having a 7-seat car (we paid for it almost 500 eur for a week) as we travelled 7 people including 4 children, they had for us only a 5-seat car (the officer at Avis company admitted it was the fault of CarTrawler, not theirs). We had to negotiate at Alghero, Sardinia, airport Avis company until finally after 2 hours of terrible experience and nervosity they found (smiling) a 7-seat car but we had to pay 140 Eur more if we wanted to have it. They told us to complain later to CarTrawler, and told us that the insurance we already had with the previously booked car is not sufficient and thus we had to pay 60Eur per day per insurance. Totally we paid 500 Eur more, comparing to 500 we paid in advance for the service we ordered.

We spent more than 2 months negotiating with CarTrawler, they answers are professionally trained, and arrogant, accusing us that the amount of 140 Eur we paid additionally is because we returned our car one hour later and that means one full day of rental more. But: we did return the car in time, but there was absolutely nobody at the Avis parking place, so we lost time before we came to the office and after a long dispute they gave a single paper. There was no mention from Avis officers that the car was returned later as should have been. Everything was OK.

However, CarTrawler had another document which we never received, which shows the time one hour later, or, 30 minutes later we definitely left the Avis office. So, we are sure they commit an organized crime together with some car-rental tail companies and in this way they steal money from people. One of the things is that you should contact the "European Consumer Centre" or some similar organization and make a complaint, so as we did. And more complaints there will be, the better chance to punish those who steal and defraud in such a way.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

10-6-19 I went through Alaska Airlines to rent a car with their partner, Cartrawler. My agreement CLEARLY stated that there was No penalty for cancellation right up until the date of the rental. But, when I received the email confirmation and rental voucher it stated that there was a penalty as soon as you made the reservation. I tried to cancel immediately to no avail..I called Alaska and B of A and am still resolving. Cartrawler is a Very Sketchy company. Alaska Airlines should not be doing business with this company...Shame on them (and me) for not researching and looking at all the negative reviews!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Our Flight booked with Ryanair to Thessaloniki went fairly smoothly and my wife and I were in a good mood looking forward to our week's vacation in Neos Marmaras. We went along with Ryanair to book a car hire as an offer of discount made sense. Our arrival time of 10.45 hrs only allowed fifteen minutes for us to collect our cases and pass through passport control before the car hire firm closed for the evening. We arrived two minutes late and were asked to pay extra 40 euros by a very rude female worker at Centauro car hire. We refused to pay and decided to get a taxi to our hotel instead. We returned the next day to be told the contract had now expired. In the end we hired a car at another company. Poor coordination with Ryanair flight and Centauro.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I prepaid for a rental back in January. I cancelled the same hour well within the refund window. I rebooked for a cheaper rate on Dollar's website not knowing I was dealing with a shady third party company based in Ireland with an office in New York City. I collected the car with no problems with Dollar however I still got billed for the cancelled booking. It took me several months to get a REFUND after many phone calls, letters, corporate executive office. Hertz needs to cut CarTrawler loose and hire a reputable company based in the USA where scamming is illegal. Their reputation and brand is at risk.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I used Car Trawler via TUI to book for a car for 1 week commencing 24/06/19 for a 1 week trip in Costa Rica (Liberia). The car hire fee was £171.50 and additional insurance for damage refund insurance was £52.48. On arrival in Costa Rica, the car rental agent (Sixt) did not accept this insurance policy and offered me their approved version for $160 USD. Sixt was insistent that they could not accept the policy offered by Car Trawler (AXA) as it was not approved. I contested the fact that Sixt was one of the many companies referred to by Car Trawler and I found it hard to believe that they offered insurances that was unacceptable to the very same car rental companies they quoted for on their website.

On returning to UK, I contacted Car Trawler to request a refund for £52.48 selling me an insurance policy that was not accepted/unsuitable to the very car rental company they quoted me. I was amazing was that I paid for the entire transaction, i.e. car rental and damage waiver insurance on the Car Trawler site. So it appeared as if all products sold for that particular chosen car package would be acceptable to Sixt or indeed any car packages offered on the Car Trawler system. Below is a copy of the email response from Car Trawler-

"Thank you very much for your correspondence in relation to the experience you had when renting with SIXT Franchise (CR) through CarTrawler. I can confirm that the insurance you paid for was an optional product purchased at the rental desk and signed for on your rental agreement. All the charges included in final rental price would have been specified on your rental agreement that must be read and agreed to in order to proceed with the rental of the vehicle. Therefore, we are not in a position to offer a refund. The insurance that you purchased provided you with complete cover for the duration of your rental as well as greatly reducing your excess deposit. I realise that this may not be the outcome you had hoped for, but I can assure you that it was reached in line with the Terms & Conditions of your rental agreement."

I understood their logic but what they should have been clearer on was the fact that the AXA insurance they (Car Trawler) sold was a product that might not be suitable to some or all of the car rental companies they quoted for on their site! Why on earth would someone want to purchase an insurance that might not be acceptable to the car rental company? More importantly, why did they offer a policy that was unacceptable for companies they quoted for?

I have not pursued this any further as the time it would take to recover the £52.48 would not be cost effective. I am writing this review so other consumers should consider double checking with the relevant car rental companies on terms before paying and booking via Car Trawler. This could well save one financial and mental stress at the very beginning of their holiday!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Hired a car on the website, via Easy Rental/Cartrawler and Avis. They cancelled the car because one partner hadn’t received payment, no idea why, they just emailed themselves, ever told us. We find out three months after booking and have to pay top latest prices 100% more as they are all blaming each other. Poor systems, poor communication and CarTrawler won't even put it right by reinstating rental. Poor quality service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

They provide 4 options to press when you contact them by phone. Pressing buttons 1 to 4. None of these go anywhere. The menu is just repeated ad nauseam. Impossible to contact by email. The “manage booking” icon on their voucher page or website goes nowhere. Just a blank screen. I’ve used them before and they’ve been fine.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Beware of CarTrawler. They charge you upfront and then do not issue you any refund if anything goes wrong, including a mistake of the rental company. The rental company did not have a car for me, and now here I am stuck paying for a $217 bill for no car because CarTrawler refuses to issue a refund. On top of that, customer service is absolutely terrible. Please stay away.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Run like the plague if you see their name in their email address. These guys charge you ahead of time, and if anything goes wrong refuses to refund you even if you never picked up the car. They booked me for a rental where the time of picking up the car, was AFTER the physical location has closed. How can you pick up the car after the place has closed? I was left stranded at the airport without a car, and had to rent from another company last-minute and pay 3X the price.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I booked a car with CarTrawler - Alamo for $11USD/day as advertised, and upon arrival to Punta Cana Airport PUJ, Dominican Republic, they gave me different excuses as to why they couldn't or wouldn't release me a car unless I gave them $150USD/day. The office was full of families and travelers who suffered the same fate. First the lady told me the website was wrong on the prices, and then the manager told me the car had mechanical problems, and finally some other employee from a next-door rental company (how sketchy is that) said that the car had been booked out to somebody else. Following these events is when they gave me the $150USD/day SUV offer which obviously I couldn't afford for 10 days. What kind of scam are they running at this airport? Rather what kind of scam is this company running globally? I'm sure the advertisements are still up there to this day.

I have a photo of the document containing the manager's signature and an explanation saying "could not release car due to availability issues". There is nowhere in that country where you can get a car for less than $40USD even if you bargain... Average is $50USD, so this is a matter of false advertisement and poor customer service. Lying to your customer's face and sending them off empty handed just like that? Shame on you! never book with CarTrawler or companies under its name like Alamo.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I booked a car through the KLM website when I booked my flight to Heathrow. The flight was delayed for 24 hours in Cape Town. I contacted CarTrawler immediately, who offered me two completely different types of cars that I did not want, or told me to contact the provider (Europcar) to see if I could retain the original. I emailed Europcar. I arrived in Heathrow to find that I had no car, had to hire a completely new car at much greater cost, and that CarTrawler said that they could do nothing, would not refund me, and I had to submit a complaint. Which I did.

CarTrawler told me that they would not refund me as they had emailed me alternatives. I would strongly warn against using them, and am profoundly surprised that a company such as KLM would risk their reputation by having direct links to such a bunch of shysters. The airlines with direct booking links to CarTrawler should think hard about the quality of their linked "service" providers. I booked through the KLM link thinking it would offer me some protection in case of delay, and it turned out to be exactly the opposite. CarTrawler - total ripoff merchants!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

After I had to return the rented car due to a breakdown, and the rental company was unable to deliver a new car, because all available cars were rented, the rent was not terminated. Cartrawler regards this as force majeure and I lost the rent already paid for the entire period. This is extremely poor service. I advise everyone not to use Cartrawler.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

If you need help, they do not exist!! No customer service number, you can not get a live person to help you. I booked with them, made changes to my reservation and when I get to their partner to get the car I was told I was a no show!! Deposit and insurance down the drain! Note I did change my reservation pick up time and received confirmation and still their partner told me I was a no show. Now I want to talk to a customer service and they don't exist. Advice: Pay a little more and you will not have this type of issue. SCAMMERS!!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

CarTrawler does not accept first name initial on the credit card (only full name), this is written in the small print and not flagged up as a major point in the welcome email. I had to pay double what the car rental cost, for the premium package, to avoid being flagged as no show. Seems like a policy made to fleece the customer, beware and avoid.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I booked a car through Dollar Rent A Car. A charge showed up on my credit card from CarTrawler. After I turned the rental in back to Dollar, Dollar then charged me again. Who is CarTrawler that they can charge my credit card?

Original review: July 12, 2019

I used this prepaid site to rent a vehicle. Their site gave no info about the distance or perimeters you must keep the car in. I found out once I got to counter, & the agent informed me. I tried to find a way to contact anyone at this company, to get my money back, because I had prepaid the majority of the cost. But, unsuccessful, until 6 days later! Once I finally got them on the phone. They gave me the runaround. I had to call them back the following day, after another hour of runaround again, I received an email telling me they were not going to give me my money back. I never rented the car, as I was needing to travel outside of their perimeters. They will steal your money! Do Not Use this company if you come across their website.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I booked a B&B in Ireland on Hotels.com. Was asked (online) if I wanted to book a car rental. This took me to CarTrawler. Booked a car and prepaid 246.91EUR with a balance of 28.38EUR to be paid at Europcar at Shannon airport. The total bill of the 10 day rental was 857.38EUR I was charged 656.35EUR, an overcharge of 45.88EUR. Impossible to get a response from CarTrawler and Europcar says the numbers are correct?? DO NOT RENT THROUGH CARTRAWLER.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I booked online a VW Golf car hire in Tenerife for 10 days and paid £97. The catch was they would take E1400 off my card at commencement of car hire and return it to me several weeks after return of the car. At the desk they offered me excess insurance cover for £280, which I refused as I have an annual policy - hence not minding loaning them E1400. However they then told me my VISA credit card had been refused twice. I called my bank, HSBC to ask why they refused it, only to be told that no transaction had been placed with them!! I told the operator at Tenerife, Goldstar, who said there was nothing they could do as the card was refused.

I then went to a different car hire and rented a car, using my credit card, which spookily worked fine. On return to the UK I requested a refund from CarTrawler, who refused stating that it was my fault the card was refused. I am now going through the process of claiming they were fraudulent in stating my card was refused, when my bank has evidence that they did not present the card. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I booked the car with Swiss.com, along with the flight. As I tried to modify the existing reservation, I found that it is not possible on CarTrawler website, and that their only customer service number is in...Switzerland. Bad choice for Swiss. Abysmal service from CarTrawler to US customers.

Original review: May 28, 2019

We have paid deposit through Ryanair car by a debit card. The local agent refused us to hire a car. Both CarTrawler and Ryanair refused to refund us money because we have debit card. They accepted only credit card, but when making an order no warning was written. We have paid hiring with debit card, but for paying a deposit at agent's office they do not accept debit cards anymore. We have been forced to rent another car at another car hiring company in the next office on the airport. We have paid both hiring fee and deposit at local agent of Greenmotion.com with DEBIT card.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Booked a car from CarTrawler in Sicily, it was fine so going over to Rome for Easter, used CarTrawler/Sixt. Upon arrival, we were refused the car as neither of us had an International licence, no stipulation was made, no licence numbers required when making the application. We have traveled Europe for years hiring cars as we go. We disputed their actions, very stressed at Sixt, who passed the blame to CarTrawler. We rang them immediately who said we signed a contract. Nothing they could do. There were queues of customers waiting, to hire a vehicle. I asked for a reversal of the charge to my credit card, in short the answer was no. They had scammed the total cost $304.70 plus rehired the car. We lodged a complaint, made many phone calls, to no avail. This was total extortion.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Used CarTrawler via a third party to hire a car. The supplier, Budget, rejected my identification documents so agreed to refund me the money, however, Cartrawler rejected the refund without explanation. Sounds like fraud to me.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I reserved a car a few days before my trip. I canceled it after a few hours through their website. I never received an email confirmation, but their website said that it was canceled. They still charged me and refuse to return the money to me. My credit card company attempted to dispute the charge, but they showed transaction details of the original purchase and refused to refund. I never rented the car from them. They do not have any customer service and point of contact besides their website that says that my dispute period has ended. They are thiefs that got money for no service and no customer support to fix it. Stay away from this company! you might save a few dollars by booking with them, but you will lose much more in the long run.

CarTrawler Company Information