1.37/5

Kissimmee, FL

Discover a great timeshare now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Calypso Cay Resorts Reviews

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We just purchased at Ascendant Holidays in Orlando... At first we were skeptical because it's at Calypso Cay and we did not want to buy a timeshare but this is actually a new program that is powered by Carnival Cruise Line and is not a timeshare. We were able to buy into RCI points and we got the same amount of points as my sister who bought at Marriott except we didn't have to pay a ton like she did. We just booked our first week in Key West and it was super easy and I used my points. I still have a ton of points left! No maintenance fees either! So far so good! Give them a chance if you want to try something different!

Original review: July 23, 2018

HORRIBLE!! I am sad to say I have to write this review as a owner of over 10 years. If there was a way to give negative stars I would! Customer service desk was beyond being poor. I have audio clips of being hung up on twice when I asked to speak to a manager and when I asked who I could ask for when I called back. One of the units was filthy...pics of the knees of my 10 month old grandson after spending a few minutes crawling on the floor. Lost/found/lost reservations. The biggest thing is the TOTAL DISREGARD for ANY customer service from all but 3 people I spoke to... Esther, took my complaint, but no one returned any calls. Nate and Jasmine both listened and assured me someone would contact me prior to check out but again nothing. I personally left 3 voicemails to no avail.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Went for New Years 2018 best purchase I could have made. I went to the villa to potentially look for a timeshare for my family. We were fully informed of all the fees, taxes and deposits before arrival. My family was treated like family and other than an early tour, we were given a private tour and rep no pressure just kept it to the numbers and facts. Our villa room was fine but not as nice as the phase 1 building we purchased in but we were informed of what we were getting ahead of time. We didn't get free tickets or perks that way but, that's not why we went. Our 2 bedroom was clean but a little noisy. Our timeshare room is much better. Great deeded property and 8 weeks biannual is ok with us. And having 5000+ other properties to choose from worldwide doesnt hurt.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We have always been told that any of our children and grandchildren could take advantage of our 3 bedroom lock-off unit at the resort even if we did not accompany them. We were told that anyone not a family member used the unit we would have to buy a guest certificate for them. We had our reservations for the 3 bedroom unit beginning June 16 through June 23rd. Due to the unexpected death of my brother and a memorial service on Sat. morning, My husband and I knew we could not get to the resort until late Sat.

My daughter had arrived at our home to visit a few days before our planned vacation (she lives in Colorado) and had to pick up her husband and daughter and son-in-law at the Orlando airport on Friday night. (Airline tickets were purchased months before). I called Calypso Cay and explained that we had a death in the family and that my daughter would be checking in one condo on Fri. We were told that we would have to pay for a guest certificate ($70) because she was not listed on the deed! We were quite taken by surprise! That was just the beginning of several scams to get more money.

When we went to the Calypso Cay Sales office (to hear updates about the "property" that we always seem to be requested to do), we mentioned this to the salesman and he said that should not have happened and that it would be rectified. When my daughter checked her credit card charges, it showed two guest certificate charges but only one had been taken off. I called Calypso again and was told that was charges for a guest certificate because she was not on the deed.

It turns out that our updates turned out to be just a high-pressured sales pitch for us to switch to an RCI membership. Which costs around 5,000 dollars to change to a points system of 123,000 points that was going to offer us 12 vacation weeks and SO MUCH MORE! It would pay for our yearly maintenance fee and we would have thousands of dollars coming in if we rented our condo out, even the one bedroom. When we asked How many points the one week maintenance used, it was 53,000 and 10 percent of the rental money went to the renting company.

The RCI salesman also told us this was a Matrix plan that was a step above the RCI plan. (I think it's just a way to get more money for the bigwigs in the RCI program). Our salesman presented this plan with so many smiles and so much enthusiasm that he couldn't believe that we were not swallowing hook, line, and sinker. The Matrix plan was a no-brainer (my words)! Thankfully we asked to have our daughter sit in and ask questions on the second day (yes, he made it sound good, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is).

Bottom line, we did not go with RCI or the Matrix system and the $100 dollar gift card that we got for attending the sales talk, had already been used when I tried to use it several days later. Luckily, I feel blessed that we asked many questions, even going back twice to talk to the salesman, the second time with our daughter, that we did not let smiles and high-pressure sales talk win in the end! I am thankful!

Original review: May 27, 2017

Called Inn at Calypso Cay Resort to add 1 extra night and be able to check in 5/23/17. Was told no problem and was emailed the updated itinerary and with the rates. Check out was to be 5/28/17 as we were excited to spend Memorial Weekend there. When we got there we were told that we had to go to the Welcome Center to pay and then come back to the resort to check in because now the Resort will become Holiday Inn Express when the renovations are completed. No one told us that the property was under construction with plaster dust everywhere, noise from 9 am - 6 pm during the week and on weekends till 5 pm. The hotel did not have a room available as confirmed on the email and wanted to give us a unacceptable dinky room which was not a king suite. Now it is 1 am and 2 hours have passed and the Welcome Center blamed the Hotel and visa versa.

My 4 years old granddaughter was crying, tired and finally by 2 am the Resort found a recently renovated King suite which was just painted. Sure enough after falling sleep at 3 am; 9 am the construction workers started banging and out in the hall, hoses and wires everywhere. Then on the 3rd floor you can smell the plaster and the elevator was full of footsteps with plaster. My granddaughter has asthma so we could not stay there anymore and check out today 5/26/17 at 2 pm. They would not give us a partial refund for today which I explained we just could not stay there anymore with all that construction going on; that is not the vacation we were expecting. The representatives at the Welcome Center at Inn at Calypso Cay are rude and not helpful at all. Will never again stay there. Ruined our vacation. I am still waiting for a refund for the horrible experience on 5/23 and for not staying till 5/28.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Calypso Cay Resorts?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

We own two timeshares at Calypso Cay. In late 2015 and early 2016, we and all other owners were obligated to change from Interval International (II) to RCI as the third party trading company. The transition was and continues to be a DISASTER due to NO flow of information. As part of this "upgrade" a deal was struck between Calypso and RCI to DISCONTINUE the practice of banking unused weeks, as was (and continues to be) the previous practice with II. The reason for this, is now clear. I can picture Stephen Bradley and his Board of Directors sitting around the conference table brainstorming how to wring more money out of the owners and realizing they can now UPSELL owners from a "weeks" arrangement to a "points" arrangement for the "privilege" of banking weeks, which was previously offered at no additional cast through II. Oh yeah, from weeks to points? Thousands of dollars.

Further, the RCI publication "Stay Vacationed" clearly indicates that RCI members can enjoy saving or banking unused timeshare weeks for 2 years (just like II) unless (of course) you belong to Calypso Cay where that option was negotiated out. Yes, RCI offers more resorts, but, if you don't use you annual or bi-annual weeks accumulation, in one year, you LOSE them. So, I have filed complaints with the Florida BBB and the Florida State Attorney General's office and I encourage all Calypso Cay owners to do the same.

Original review: June 7, 2016

The stay in this rundown, roach and bed bug infested property was so awful that my 9-year-old daughter and both of my 10-year-old nieces kept asking when was our last day!!! They kept getting picked on by some ghetto, hoodlums and a boy hit my daughter in the back so hard she lost her breath!! All because she told him to go to the back of the line because he was trying to "cut" in front of her!!! I booked a room from Friday, June 3-Monday, June 6 and this stay cost me over $700.00. I paid for a "vacation" through bestvacationsever.com for $299.00 plus I was supposed to receive 2 theme park tickets and I ended up staying in the HOE-TEL INSTEAD OF THE CONDOS!!!

If you have small kids, this is not the place to bring them. I had to keep taking them out of the room because we kept hearing the beds squeaking and hitting the walls day in and out! I was charged for a tour that I didn't want to do because I wouldn't DARE buy a timeshare with them to end up sharing all the amenities with any Tom, Dick, and Harry that wants to rent a hotel room to get freaky with who knows WHAT!!! CALYPSO CAY AND BESTVACATIONSEVER.COM ARE THE WORST COMPANIES EVER!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Brought my family here for Christmas vacation and booked through Orlando tourist info. We were told we had to do a 90 min tour and got a great discount at a really nice place. We may have bought timeshare because we do travel quite a bit. When we arrived to our room after checking in at 3am the nightmare began. The room was so dirty. 2 of the 4 Tv's didn't work. There was a leak in the laundry room. The deadbolt lock on the front door was missing it was broke off. We had 4 towels for a 3 bedroom villa. The phone didn't work, not enough hot water for everyone to shower. There were not enough blankets and sheets for the pull out couch.

I have never seen a place so dirty that they would be trying to sell me. As we complained to front desk we got nowhere, even after running out of toilet paper we were told we have a starter kit and I didn't read the paper that was given to me that I was responsible for buying toilet paper. At the presentation, we were told we got the leftover rooms because the beautiful villas we should have had were booked. This was bait and switch. Don't ever stay at this place if you want a nice resort it was nothing but. Vacation ruined and lesson learned.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

I was told that my maintenance fees weren't paid for 2015 so I had to send a copy of checks to prove it. Now I haven't been at this resort in 10 years and never missed a payment. Resort tells me that I have to pay another $491 for 2016, and won't be allowed back in room until fee are paid. Also refuse to give me my suitcase that was brought to the resort by Frontier (bag lost for 2 days). Gave the bag back after threatening me. (Finance man Mr. **). Calypso Cay know these fees weren't paid before I got there. This is not acceptable. I made these reservations 2 months in advance. While at the front desk, I told Brandi that I wasn't happy with my room because the air didn't work well, that was push to the side and never mentioned until fees are paid I'm guessing. My room air conditioner doesn't work properly. 77-79 are the only temperature that the screen displays.

Rooms get little cool then the entire place goes back warm. Hot at night hard to sleep. We have another timeshare and you best better believe it's nothing like this experience ever. Hey story gets even better, I give Resort $400 and a credit card for the remaining $91. Mr. ** then tells me I'm not allowed in the building, he has to take the monies and card in to run it. I specifically tell Mr. ** only run $91. Mr. ** comes outside and says "oop, Ms. ** we made a mistake." He ran $491, and says "do you want me to reverse the charge." YES I DO (I SPEND A TOTAL OF TWO HOURS, THIS THE WORST AT CALYPSO CAY). HOW DO I SALE.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Made use of a complimentary 3-day stay at their Inn (which is *not* the resort, but a run down hotel where they house potential timeshare buyers) in exchange for sitting through their high pressure sales pitch; if you don't sit through the pitch, they bill you $300 for the stay. The sales staff was actually very friendly and personable; they sold it well and I bought the smallest timeshare.

After paying the $1,000 deposit on the mortgage via a credit account they applied for on my behalf, I received a letter several weeks later saying that I had failed to make payments pursuant to terms in the Purchase Contract and was in default. No notices were received from them, only the default letter, which was sent via certified mail. The letter outlined that all monies were retained as damages and that my Purchase Contract was cancelled. Compared to other complaints, I got off lucky in that they only took $1,000 from me and I never had to experience the actual resort and maintenance fee hassles that other complaints mention. I will *never* own a timeshare again and I will happily join any class-action against these grifters.

Calypso Cay Resorts Company Information