2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

British Airways Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

BA cancelled my elderly parents’ flight to London during pilot strike now stonewalling and refusing to pay statutory compensation. Do not trust this company. They are legally bound to compensate but instead are just fog and broken record. Disgraceful.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

If I could give BA a zero stars I would. They have the worse customer service. I’ve flown many airlines around the world with my family, but surely we will never fly with them again. They gave our seats away on the return flight and would not address this after purchasing expensive business class tickets 4.5 months in advance to ensure that our family flew 12 hour flight together. The flight to London didn’t have the best service, most toilets were out of service. The beds in business class are the most uncomfortable of all business class I’ve flown. The check-in process at Heathrow was disastrous. The most inefficient process with no human assistances. The limited ones available were all slammed with line of customers. I would highly suggest you refrain from using this carrier. I wish I would have done a bit of research prior to.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I've flown on BA many times and have Silver status with them. I've never thought they were a great airline, just ok. I was contacted via email 3 days before my flight from SFO to LHR stating they could not accommodate our 3 business class tickets (which we paid for, not points, etc) because of "capacity issues." After a very tedious phone call, we now have a layover in Dallas and must leave 12 hours before we were scheduled to do so. At one point, the representative on the phone stated that "if you find your own way to LAX we can put you on that flight." Save yourself the time, money and patience and book with anyone else. There's no question why BA was rated worst for long haul flights. I'll never book with them again but I really don't think they care.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I missed the first leg of my flight from Spain to Tampa due to a late train arrival. I paid for another ticket immediately to get to my destination, believing that, of course, I had my return flights still available through BAirways. I confirmed with the website who booked the flights, got to the airport and BA told me they cancelled my ENTIRE TRIP because I missed one flight and they would sell me a new ticket one way for $2700!! They never informed me that the flights had been cancelled; just kept the money and said too bad. I am in the military and had to return at a certain time the following day. It was a nightmare with them. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

My husband and I used British Airways to fly from London to Paris this past August. When we arrived at airport needed to pay for bags, was charged 4 times for one bag after I was assured charges didn't go through. Have been trying to get a refund from BA since. They give you a phone number to call for these claims only to never EVER answer the phone! They have you do a claim online only to never respond to your emails. I sent them the bank statements and credit card statement showing that I had been charged 4 times for one bag.

Only 2 months later did they finally respond to the claim, claiming I had two bags and despite the fact that I sent documentation showing 4 charges and confirmed with bank and credit card that the charges had gone through, that they only saw two charges and since I had two bags they didn't owe me any money!!! THIS IS THEFT! I can't get ahold of anyone, they force you to communicate via email and then don't respond. They owe me $258 USD and refuse to give me my money at this point. I am now forced to have my bank and credit card company fight them since stealing from their customers is apparently how they do business! DO NOT USE THIS AIRLINE EVER!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

We flew economy from Las Vegas to London Heathrow and it was easily the worst transatlantic flight experience I have had in 10 years of regular flights. The plane was very old with uncomfortable seats and tiny entertainment screens. That wouldn't be an issue for me though as my screen didn't work at all during the flight. In return for raising the issue with cabin crew, we received contemptuous and at times outright rude treatment for the rest of the 10 hour flight. This is not the service that I believed I was paying for and so I complained to BA when I arrived home and in return I was given a useless amount of Avios points. I don't collect Avios and don't wish to give BA any more of my business so it's a tad insulting to be 'compensated' with what are effectively loyalty points. BA project an image of class and quality but they clearly aren't making the effort to actually live up to those values.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I want to start by saying that I have no problems with any of the flight crew or service while flying, everything on the plane was fine. After the flight landed, I rushed to the baggage claim because my wife and I had another flight out of London and only had an hour to make it on. Even though we could see the plane and watch the baggage crew drive the bags over, it took 45 minutes before my bag came through. The baggage claim “service” desk continually turned away the 30 other furious customers until a manager could arrive, by which time I was running to catch my next flight...which I missed.

Turns out the next flight home on our next airline wasn’t for another 6 days. Hoping that British Airways would help us out in some way, we went to their absolutely horrendous customer service desk where a joke of a customer service agent named Giles, basically told us to pound sand. It ended up costing my wife and I almost $3000 for food in the airport and tickets to get home, spent the next 20 hours in the airport and British Airways refused to offer us so much as a stupid $20 meal voucher!! If Giles is any representation of how this airline “supports” their customers, I advise everyone to steer clear of this airline! They clearly know absolutely nothing about taking care of the people that pay them for their service! We will never use this airline again and will advise our friends, family, and the entire internet to do the same!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

On August 23, I received a google notification that my BA flight returning to the US on August 24 was cancelled. I immediately called BA and spoke to a representative. She could not find a reasonable alternative flight with BA and stated that I can go ahead and book with a different airline and I would receive a full refund on my BA itinerary. Because the flight was cancelled the day before departure, all returns back to the United States were extremely expensive, but my full refund was going to compensate for about half the cost, and having no other alternatives I booked a United flight to return to the US. To receive the refund, BA told me that my travel agent had to inquire with BA to receive the refund. When my travel agent got in touch with BA, they were only approved for a partial refund.

BA argued that a full refund is not possible because only my inbound flight was cancelled. This contradicts what BA told me when I spoke with a representative on August 23. I called BA customer services. Either BA customer service lied to me on August 23, and I relied on a lie when I considered my available funds for an alternative flight, or BA is not keeping its promise. I spoke to BA and they would not keep their word and refused to give me the full refund. It was a horrible way to treat a customer. I felt insulted by BA, and I cannot believe how horrible they treated me on this matter. It was very deceptive of them to promise a full refund only to then approve a partial refund.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Recently flew British Airways from Tampa to London LGW. Considering the price of >$3000 round trip, food could have been better. They charge for advance seat selection. Cabin attendant minimal. Despite my status on American Airlines and the fact that I paid more than $3000 RT, I was not permitted to use the BA lounge at London Gatwick. The worst was of course the inability to book a seat free more than 7 days in advance. Did they want blood as well? The breakfast that was served was abysmal and there was not a person around me in Premium economy ate the garbage that was served. I hope that each and every employee of BA who takes one of their flights is subjected to the same poor service. Then perhaps the airline will change due to employee demands.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

British Airways is as bad as any other budget airlines. Extremely disappointing when you expect support and respect from a company with "good" reputation and they just don't care. British Airways overbooked my flight, they gave me a small compensation and sent me to a cheap hotel and they can just get a long with it. Huge disrespect! Despite the vouchers, hotel and transfers, the cash card compensation was kind but nothing in relation to the stress I encountered.

The original rescheduled flight didn’t give us any other options such as arriving a day earlier rather than later. Lost a day’s annual leave. Wasted a lot of time in the airport. The vouchers and hotel with dinner were appalling. Still had to pay for the Airbnb on the Friday night. The stress and discomfort of potentially missing the 3rd planned flight impacted my company (300mile) bike ride which left the following Monday. 3 day break was significantly cut short. I'm rather disappointed and I would expect more from a such company. Overbooking a flight is unacceptable and what BA offers seems to cover up this let down seems very unfair.

Not sure about British Airways?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

British Airways Company Information