3.9/5 (588 ratings)

About British Airways

British Airways Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

Our flight from San Francisco to London on 28th March was cancelled with 3 hours' notice. We found out on the shuttle bus to the airport. We had to stay overnight for the next day flight. We still have not been recompensed for our expenses (filled in on line) and have received no replies on follow-ups. It is the usual 30 min or longer time to wait on customer service picking up.

During this trip, we had to re-schedule a return flight (my wife was ill). This should not have been a problem as the flights were re-bookable. We were given a voucher. This voucher was only bookable by phone. When I phoned to rebook, we got the automated voice saying BA were not taking flight bookings by phone. You can see the problem - how do I use a voucher where I must phone and they are not taking phone bookings? All I have been offered is another voucher. The time to use has passed. It must be great to be a business that can print endless A4 vouchers and not return money paid for services not rendered. We returned home with Aer Lingus with no drama.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I purchased two business class British Airways tickets for our flights from US to Mumbai via London for a full price of over $10,595 through American Express travel on line. Then I went on British Airways site to select our seats for all the four segments; SAN-LHR, LHR-BOM, BOM-LHR, LHR-SAN. At that point BA wanted to charge me $146 to $178 for each seat for each segment! That would cost me as much as $1,424 additional. There were no seats available for zero price. So what did I pay $10,595 for? Don't ever fly British Airways.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

In July, I had a confirmed business class ticket to fly from Phoenix AZ to Johannesburg, South Africa. When I checked in, I was told that I was a standby passenger with no seat at all, although I had confirmed tickets for a business class seat paid in full 8 months prior to trip. The agent at the airport placed me in an economy seat/coach. I paid $3600 for a business class seat and had to take the flight in coach. The complaint with the airline resulted in an offer of ~$200 cash or $300 voucher. This is not acceptable and is fraudulent. I would have never bought the ticket for this extremely long duration of a flight if coach was the only option. There was no request for people to voluntarily give up their seats at all. I was bumped involuntarily, initially with no seat at all. This is wrong. This is fraudulent to accept a large sum of money and not provide what was paid for. I want a refund for this ticket but am not getting a response.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I had an account with British Airways for many years. This spring BA offer 100,000 Avios with a credit card with a dollar amount in purchases in a 3 month period. I fulfilled this. Apparently they created another account with Chase credit card instead of using my all ready set up account. I have been on the phone for 3 weeks for them to merge the 2 accounts so I can see and use my points. As I cannot sign into the new account, everything is tied to my email. I keep getting promises this will be fixed in 3-4 days. It has been 3 weeks now and several phones. NOTHING RESOLVED.

Original review: July 24, 2022

I flew with my 6 year old son from Hyderabad, India to Denver, Colorado via Heathrow, London on July 21 2022. My flight from Hyderabad to London was delayed (Not sure what was the reason for delay) for 2 hours. Because of the delay, I missed my connecting flight from London to Denver. There was no help or guidance at Heathrow airport on what to next. Waited in line for almost 6 hours to talk to someone and they rebooked me for 23 July. My son has lot of food allergies and he really can't find many options to eat outside, so requested them to give me a flight for 22 at least and I told them that I would pay extra if needed. Customer service representative said that your are lucky to get the tickets for 23.

I was looking BA website and I see that the tickets are available and when I mentioned about it to customer service representative, she said that is how BA makes money by overselling the tickets and will put the customer on standby when there are no tickets. At the end, I was forced to fly on 23. I have a Indian passport, for me to stay two days in London, I need to have a transit Visa and I don't have it. When I mentioned that to customer service representative, she said that I am fine and boarder security will let me go out as I am flying back on 23 and asked me to show the travel itinerary. I followed her recommendation and saw the security officer and he said that he can on allow me to go out for one day as per the procedure.

I explained everything to the office and asked him for the options that are available for me. He was so helpful, he went and talked to his chain of command and let me go out for 2 days. BA representative gave the voucher for only for a day and asked me to pay for the second day and apply for repayment. It was British Airways mistake and not sure why they can't give the hotel for the entire stay, Imagine the people who did not have credit cards or enough money to pay for hotel and food. My Cousin lives in Hounslow and I was so lucky to him there as my son's food allergies we really can't eat outside. So, I called my cousin and stayed with him for 2 nights and came back to Denver, Colorado on 23 July.

I have seen many other people missing their flights to Atlanta and some of them were flying with their elderly parents. One of the passenger got her ticket for 25th. I understand that the customer service representative were helping so many people, but they are mean and taking lot of time to help single customer. Overall it was the worst experience that I ever had and I would never use and recommend not to fly using British Airways.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Our EasyJet flight was cancelled on Sunday so we booked 2 tickets for a British Airways Vueling flight on the BA website. They charged us for the tickets and gave us a booking reference, but no confirmation email/boarding details were sent. We went to the BA/Vueling desk where we were bluntly informed that we were not on the flight list and the booking reference was invalid.

We have been charged €439 for absolutely nothing. We were advised to call the BA customer service number, which we did multiple times, the number tells you they are very busy and then hangs up on you. We also emailed and texted the duty number, we received a copy and paste response saying they would get back to us with 24 hours…spoiler alert: they did not.

We have filed a complaint on the website and also tweeted them with no response. Absolutely disgusting behaviour that they think it’s acceptable to take money from hard working people and not provide a ticket or an explanation. I honestly can’t believe they are allowed to get away with this, if any of us stole €439 from someone else with would be called theft.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Baggage lost, was advise by I erica staff that the baggage was found in London and would be on next flight to Madrid. Was provided follow up number but when calling staff they said I had to wait. Shown no concern and said not our problem blamed airport. I have provided details in Spain a week has past and still no luggage. Getting reimbursed for buying a tooth brush and some clothes was next to impossible… This airline e is the worst experience I have ever had. Would not recommend even as a last resort. Lost all my medicines, scripts, and show not concern. All they say is you have to wait. A split nightmare.

Original review: May 15, 2022

WE sent this complaint to BA after my sick daughter’s devastating experience with BA yesterday on their flight from Johannesburg to London UK. It's a new thing that they want to kick a minor child off a flight because they are overbooked. Unfortunately it's not new their special assistance is very unreliable. I now have PEM today too after all the stress and spending hours on the phone trying to help my daughter.

"I was booked on a 7.20 flight and had with me my minor daughter, and on a separate ticket, my daughter's friend, also a child under 18. When I tried to book us all in, I was told that the child in my care was to go on a different flight. I could not accept that and was shunted into a waiting line for people. I asked for special assistance to be activated so I could wait while sitting in a wheelchair. I did not get special assistance support and had to wait in line for a supervisor. The waiting and stress that the child in my care was to be separated from me or that we all had to go on a different flight were immense.

I live in Somerset in the UK, and my lift could not fetch me at any other time as she took time out of work to bring us all 3. I called my mother, and she called customer care and was told by a customer care adviser that he did not believe her as she was not there. I could not phone by that time as my phone battery was flat. I was going into a physical crash with post-exertional malaise. When I am like that, I cannot express myself well.

After 2 hours of waiting to try to book in, I was at the end of the rope but was told we could all book in on the same existing flight. It was then almost time to board. I still have not received special assistance and only got helped 2.5 hours after I first asked, and then it was a rush to catch the flight. I am so disappointed in your service and the attitude of the people working for you towards your disabled passengers and minor children flying with you.”

Original review: May 7, 2022

This airline not only has the WORST (non-existent) customer service and lack of knowledge of their aircrafts. Terrible food and most uncomfortable and hard to endure long haul 11 + hr flight. The aircraft was very old - with no entertainment available (when it did work, the screens were smaller than a small iPad, and it only had 3 outdated movies available), wifi also not working. The seats had rips in them and were filthy. The seats were uncomfortable (and this was not economy seats - so I can't even imagine how bad those would have been). Food for premium had no difference than regular meals - even though you pay a premium.

The flight was also delayed by 4 hours - apparently the last 3 days the flights from BA were also delayed - a common occurrence with this airline. It took 2 months to finally get a reply from customer service, and still no solution has been relayed back for the return flight. The poor level of hygiene, overcrowding, delays, cancellations makes this the worst airline I have had to endure.

Original review: April 22, 2022

BA has swirled down the drain. Truly. Trying to use your vouchers from that covid trip that didn't happen? You know the one you spent thousands of dollars on? They don't honor it. You can't book online using it. Ok, so you call them (like it says) right? Well, a recorded voice tells you they are not helping you and then hangs up. NO JOKE. We have been trying to book for days. WHAT A SCAM. BA must have made millions absolutely screwing people from their travel vouchers! The execs should be indicted, the airline scrapped, never to reappear again.

British Airways Company Information