3.0/5 (935 ratings)

About British Airways

British Airways Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: May 15, 2022

WE sent this complaint to BA after my sick daughter’s devastating experience with BA yesterday on their flight from Johannesburg to London UK. It's a new thing that they want to kick a minor child off a flight because they are overbooked. Unfortunately it's not new their special assistance is very unreliable. I now have PEM today too after all the stress and spending hours on the phone trying to help my daughter.

"I was booked on a 7.20 flight and had with me my minor daughter, and on a separate ticket, my daughter's friend, also a child under 18. When I tried to book us all in, I was told that the child in my care was to go on a different flight. I could not accept that and was shunted into a waiting line for people. I asked for special assistance to be activated so I could wait while sitting in a wheelchair. I did not get special assistance support and had to wait in line for a supervisor. The waiting and stress that the child in my care was to be separated from me or that we all had to go on a different flight were immense.

I live in Somerset in the UK, and my lift could not fetch me at any other time as she took time out of work to bring us all 3. I called my mother, and she called customer care and was told by a customer care adviser that he did not believe her as she was not there. I could not phone by that time as my phone battery was flat. I was going into a physical crash with post-exertional malaise. When I am like that, I cannot express myself well.

After 2 hours of waiting to try to book in, I was at the end of the rope but was told we could all book in on the same existing flight. It was then almost time to board. I still have not received special assistance and only got helped 2.5 hours after I first asked, and then it was a rush to catch the flight. I am so disappointed in your service and the attitude of the people working for you towards your disabled passengers and minor children flying with you.”

Original review: May 7, 2022

This airline not only has the WORST (non-existent) customer service and lack of knowledge of their aircrafts. Terrible food and most uncomfortable and hard to endure long haul 11 + hr flight. The aircraft was very old - with no entertainment available (when it did work, the screens were smaller than a small iPad, and it only had 3 outdated movies available), wifi also not working. The seats had rips in them and were filthy. The seats were uncomfortable (and this was not economy seats - so I can't even imagine how bad those would have been). Food for premium had no difference than regular meals - even though you pay a premium.

The flight was also delayed by 4 hours - apparently the last 3 days the flights from BA were also delayed - a common occurrence with this airline. It took 2 months to finally get a reply from customer service, and still no solution has been relayed back for the return flight. The poor level of hygiene, overcrowding, delays, cancellations makes this the worst airline I have had to endure.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2022

BA has swirled down the drain. Truly. Trying to use your vouchers from that covid trip that didn't happen? You know the one you spent thousands of dollars on? They don't honor it. You can't book online using it. Ok, so you call them (like it says) right? Well, a recorded voice tells you they are not helping you and then hangs up. NO JOKE. We have been trying to book for days. WHAT A SCAM. BA must have made millions absolutely screwing people from their travel vouchers! The execs should be indicted, the airline scrapped, never to reappear again.

Original review: March 22, 2022

The outcome was great. I can only speak for myself, but appreciate the frustrations that many share in their reviews. I couldn't get through, my emails not answered, but I knew they had problems and like many companies are trying to recover from a global problem and still don't have the staff or people in the right places? What company does? So the bottom line is, when I did speak to someone - they were great, they did help and did solve my problems and were full of apologies. My advice, be patient, they will get to you and if your situation is like mine, they will help. Thank you to all the people involved at BA and thanks to Sean ** who is trying very hard to keep the big plane wheels turning in what is still difficult times for the airline industry.

Original review: March 9, 2022

This is absolutely unacceptable. BA had me wait on hold for 58 minutes only to tell me in an email that I can’t use the voucher I earned by spending $30,000 on your credit card. Next, BA gives me the run around about why you took 10,000 points from my Avios account on when none were redeemed, blaming it on Chase. I called Chase and they blamed BA. As I live in the US I cannot just use a overseas only voucher to travel when BA says. After all I booked a trip within the original timeframe that YOU (BA) canceled, not me. I will take my business elsewhere if you people do not make this situation right.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Terrible, disgusting food, very rude customer service, cancelled return flights with less than 24 hours notice, extra charges, wrong information given. Overpriced. This is a premium price for a extremely low budget service with all of the extras removed. BA should now be called Budget Airlines. If you like me haven’t seen for a while you need to be prepared that this is going to be a much worse version of easyJet. They have removed free checked baggage for very long haul flights. The food has got to be the worst food I’ve ever tasted in my life and I don’t know how they managed to find something quite so bad.

The seats are uncomfortable and the plane is dirty with only four toilets for hundreds of people with resulting in long queues. Furthermore there was no cleaning of the toilets. Airplanes are very old. More than 20 years old and the technology is very old especially compared to other airlines which have all the modern conveniences such as ports to charge your phone. I am one of the longtime BA members who will never fly with this airline again and if they went out of business it would do the whole world a service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Our horrifying travel experience with British Airways in Paris. The website was extremely confusing and we couldn't find the information anywhere stating that the covid test needed to be taken a day before. Here is what we found on the BA website before our travel on January 8th 2022.

Changes to rules for fully vaccinated travel to England - January 2022 From 4 am Friday 7 January. If you qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England, and you will arrive in England after 4 am, Friday 7 January, you do not need to:

- take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England

- quarantine when you arrive in England.

Below is the summary of what took place on January 8th: We got up at 2 am in the morning and was picked up by the car company arranged for us by our travel agent at 3 am, and arrived at the airport at 3:30 am. When we were trying to check in around 5 am, we were denied boarding by the customer service representative and she told us that we needed a negative covid test within 24 hours even though it was not stated on the website. So we had to wait till the pharmacy opened at 8 am to get our tests done and inevitably missed our flight at 7 am (BA 303).

While we were waiting for the pharmacy to open between 5 am to 8 am, we called numerous phone numbers listed on the BA website as well as the number provided by the customer service representative at check-in counter, but the lines just kept dropping, and we were not able to talk to anyone on the phone and the website also would not allow us to change the flight on our own.

As soon as we got our test results back around 8:40 am, we went back in line and hoped that the service representative at the check-in counter would put us on the flight to London at 11:55 am (BA 309). To our shocking surprise, they refused to help. We were practically begging them to help us as we were horrified being stranded in the foreign country without speaking the language. Their cold-hearted answer was that they could not help and we needed to call British Airways ourselves or our travel agent to sort it out. We even escalated the issues to two managers at the check-in counter and they gave us the same cold-hearted answer.

Since we couldn't get hold of anyone at the British Airways on the phone, and there was 7 hours difference between Paris and U.S. where our travel agent located in Houston, we had to wait for their office to open at 9 am on Saturday January 8th. When we described what we had experienced at the airport, our travel agent found it hard to believe. So she got on the phone with the British Airways, after spending 3.5 hours talking to three different representatives and none of them would help, she was dismayed and shocked by the terrible customer service experience as a travel professional. Out of desperation, we purchased a new ticket via United Airlines and got home the second day. If you could help it, don’t book your flight with the British Airways as no one will be there to help you when you are in a dire situation!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

First off, I would like to say that I have flown with British Airways for many many years in the past. Since Covid hit, they have gone downhill and past. They ruined our family trip for Christmas to Germany. According to the German Embassy, U.S. Citizens who are fully vaccinated were allowed into Germany for Christmas holiday. British Airways employees at their check in counters for First Class in San Francisco refused to give us our boarding passes to Germany stating that Germany closed their borders to all but German Nationals. This was entirely untrue.

British Airways not only stranded us but refused to refund our money and then told us to still fly to London and see if we can get our connecting flight still there once we arrived. After a 12 hour flight and trying to get through to British Airways flight connections counter in London, Heathrow, we were stranded. British Airways refused to listen to the actual German Embassy and took it upon themselves to cancel our flights to Germany. We were stranded in London which was NOT our holiday destination. We were traveling to visit our Family in Germany. We didn't know a soul in London and did NOT want to be there.

After standing in flight connections line for 5 hours, a line that never moved, we opted to sleep and try again in the morning. I was on hold with Customer service for 6 hours! Finally to obtain someone on the phone at British Airways we were told that a flight home now would cost us over 9,000 GBP each! They refused to refund our money and we were forced to try and find a flight home with another airline. Now we are fighting to receive a refund on the flights they cancelled. They try to offer flight vouchers. Do they honestly think we would ever want to fly with them again? They ruined our holiday and we had many things planned to do in Germany for our 14 day holiday. British Airways employees were not educated and just took it upon themselves to play God with everyone's holidays. Fully vaccinated U.S. Citizens that were flying from the U.S. were allowed into all the countries during the Christmas Holiday.

I would give this airline zero stars! I am writing this to save anyone else out there from the nightmare that we endured. We are out over $7,000 and still fighting our claim with them. If an airline could receive the worst customer service rating, British Airways would be top of that list. Their first class check in employees at the San Francisco, CA airport are rude and completely uncaring about anyone's lives or plans. We will NEVER fly this airline again. We are all suffering from PTSD over this experience as I am sure all of the thousand of others they cancelled flights on are feeling the same. Spending the night in an airport with no food, no water. They finally after 8 hours were handing out bottles of water.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I booked a return ticket from Toronto to Lagos through TravelStart and when I could not fly as a result of being deemed unfit to fly since it was health related, I called British Airways and spoke to not less than 4 agents to help cancel the flight but they insisted I should contact the agent which is TravelStart. I told them travel start were not promptly responding and the time difference was huge as they are located in Lagos, Nigeria. Eventually travel start was able to remove me from the flight before its take off but kept tossing me around about how to get a travel voucher or refund.

British airways agents about 6 of them were all dodgy pushing me around and saying my travel agent will advise. I bursted out crying and said Travelstart had been lying and frustrating me repeatedly and British airways even seeing glaringly that the agents were lying did absolutely nothing to help me yet claimed there was an agreement. Now tell me which agreement encourages lies and manipulation towards a customer??? I am highly devastated and distraught as I type and I have cried my eyes out too much regarding this because it's unfair that I am getting no help to get a refund or voucher back which I can use to book another flight once I get fit to fly.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I spent $300 yesterday for seats in business on British Airways. After I changed my flight today... they refused to refund my money. Still not sure why you pay for an assigned seat in business class.

British Airways Company Information