2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.49/5

British Airways Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

My flights were cancelled in April due to COVID which is completely understandable. I asked BA to refund my new bank account as the one I paid with was closed as I had since changed banks. They said they had to refund the closed account but it would bounce back to them. Once this happened I was assured I would get a call to provide new account details. I thought this was a poor process but having been assured this was normal I accepted.

Forward wind to August and still no refund. After numerous calls, emails and escalations BA tell me the refund didn’t bounce so it’s no longer their issue as the bank must have it. BA have provided the end of the card number refunded which has never been one of my cards, and a payment reference for the bank. The bank doesn’t recognise the reference after many hours of investigation.

Back to BA and just get the same excuse on repeat that despite them assuring me they would resolve this it’s now my problem and they are sorry I’m not out of pocket but from their side it’s case closed. I’ve spent over 8 hours on calls to banks and BA and still don’t have the refund they say was issued. That’s longer than the return flight that was cancelled! They refuse to acknowledge that the card number they have refunded to isn’t mine, nor will they accept that they assured me this wouldn’t happen and they would resolve. I’m beyond disappointed that a multi billion pound company would treat their customers like this. I chose BA thinking I was dealing with a professional airline, I was very wrong! So now because I opted to fly BA I have to write off hundreds of pounds and they couldn’t care less.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I realize that the COVID 19 Pandemic requires adjusting our expectations of what overwhelmed businesses can accomplish. However, I’ve been patiently waiting five months for nine airfare refunds requested due to British Airways cancellation of a family trip to Europe. A quick breakdown to give you some context: March 15 - flights were cancelled by BA with request to wait a few weeks to submit a request form.

End of March - I waited the requested time and then filled out the request forms for each of the tickets. Late April - I called the phone number to check on the status of the refund. Apologies were made and I was informed that they had only just started to work on refunds as many centers were initially shut down. I should see a refund in two weeks. Mid-May - no refund. Followed with another polite call, similar response: only just started to work on refunds as many centers were initially shut down. “I should see a refund in up to weeks.” One of the nine refunds processed. None of the others.

End of May - no refund and BA removed seven of the eight remaining refund requests “by accident” which were then added back into the system. Otherwise, a similar response with the addition of “we have escalated your refund so you should see it soon”. Sound like a stalling tactic? End of June - no refund and same response including escalation verbiage. So far I’ve been very nice and understanding on the phone. I sent a complaint via the website - not as friendly as I questioned the integrity of the refund department. Expected a response in a few days.

End of July - response to online complaint received from a VP who has “escalated the issue to refunds” with still no refund. The response to the online complaint was nearly word for word on what has been stated during the phone calls. Obviously, PR/Marketing team has been busy ensuring all faux concerns from BA staff take the right tone with frustrated customers. Beginning of August - No refund as of August 7. Perhaps the refunds department for British Airways is not concerned about escalated requests for refunds.

I hope that no-one else has the problems I’ve had with refunds at BA in the future. I’m beginning to wonder if they even have a refunds department. Five months is an excessive wait time. Norwegian Cruise Lines provided me with a refund in less than 90 days (for the same trip). NCL - I would book with again. BA - based on this experience - probably not. If anyone knows of an institution who could help with this issue, please let me know. If anyone else is having the same issues, perhaps we need to band together and hire legal representation.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Single handedly the worst experience I’ve ever had with a flight company, and EasyJet held me captive on the tarmac for 8 hours. We’ve been misled, lied to and been tricked out of over £1,000. They won’t acknowledge any wrongdoing and were hands down the most disgusting company I’ve had to deal with on the phone. Their customer service team were rude and insulting. I urge anyone thinking of booking with this company goes elsewhere, even if it’s slightly more money because this company deserves nothing.

Original review: June 4, 2020

B.A is a company where A refund's exceedingly rare. They seem not to care. "Got your money, so there!" They will just leave you up in the air. We have jumped backwards through hoops and still had no response. Stressful and time-consuming. I will seek publicity if this is not rectified as our refund is badly needed now. Contact Stefan & Bethan **. ** to sort it out asap.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Traveling Int’l First Class Miami, New Delhi early to mid March as Virus concerns increased. Recording for BA directed you to Website stating “high call volume“. Website directed you to not call and go to “Manage My Booking“ that site stated change of destination, date, or both are Free. Yet we were charged $962.80. Anna ** in Customer Service said, repeatedly it's too late and we accepted it, even though we have it in print Free. Never have I dealt with a Company with so little Integrity, and character which I assume is where why Anna ** Is so despicable. The worst Corporate Culture I’ve ever observed. No sense of “Do the Right Thing“. The Airline Industry would if this Company didn’t exist.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have an international reservation. We all know we will not cure coronavirus by December 2020. My reservation is 9 December from Johannesburg to Europe. I don’t feel safe. BA arrogant to say I don’t qualify for refund. Europe has no control over the virus. BA show your arrogance again.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I had booked a flight from the US to the UK, but it was cancelled due to COVID-19. I received an email stating the cancellation, and a link to request a voucher or rebook onto another flight. Stupidly thinking that a voucher/rebooking were my only options, I followed the instructions and received a voucher code for use within the next 12 months.

As I was unsure that the voucher covered both flights there and back, I wrote an email; received a very uninformative standard reply, twice. Since my question had not in fact been answered, I called the UK office, and waited on hold for 25 minutes to be informed by a polite, yet unhelpful, gentleman that my voucher indeed covered both flights, but it had to be used within 12 months. As I wanted to travel again next May, I asked if I could extend that to 13 months - the answer was a flat no. I asked if there was the option of a refund at this point - and was informed that had I called the office at the point my flight had been cancelled, I would have been entitled to a refund. Nowhere did I see this information previously, but I was told verbatim that I "should have read the fine print" on the cancellation steps.

I left the call, very unhappy, and did about 5 minutes of web searching, and discovered that yes, according to the DOT laws, you are entitled to a full refund if the airline cancels a flight. Realizing BA had pulled one over on me, I immediately called back, and waited on hold another 25 minutes. This time, armed with the facts, I informed the customer service representative that BA had used deceptive and misdirecting tactics to get around the DOT laws, I was unhappy, and I wanted a full refund in lieu of the previously-issued voucher. The only reason BA is receiving two stars here instead of one is that they did in fact give me a full refund (within 3 business days, even), and ONLY because of this will I ever consider booking with them again. Deception and misdirection are not qualities I seek when choosing companies with which to do business.

Original review: March 10, 2020

My wife and I flew an 11-hour flight from London. It wasn’t a great start to our BA experience as this flight was delayed 3 hours from the scheduled department time. The experience got worse as the staff were rude and abrupt to fellow passengers; it is certainly an aspect I noticed at multiple points throughout the flight by numerous staff to us and many other passengers.

The staff extended this poor & rude behaviour by denying some people basic amenities – ice and certain soft drinks by staff stating items weren’t available. This was evident as my wife asked for ice; she was told there was none available. I then asked on the other side of the aisle within moments of this and was shown a full casket. This continued later with the same scenario for a soft drink, as we overheard another passenger being denied. We were provided the same drink that our fellow passenger had asked. The mentality from the BA staff in this scenario still has me perplexed.

Suffice to say, the service was beyond poor. The plane itself is dated and lacking adequate elements for a long-haul flight. The lack of cleanliness can be seen via the attached images and the entertainment screen provided is no bigger than an average wallet (again, please note the attached image). This was also reset multiple times due to service issues.

Further, with two meals provided on this flight, there was no communication regarding the availability of snacks – when asked, this was very basic in the form of chocolates and crisps. This abysmal experience got worse as the pilot stated he would “take shortcuts” to “make up time”. We landed 2 hours and 45 minutes after; this denies all passengers compensation under the EU regulation for 3-hour or more delays. This rubbed salt in the wound for an already poor experience in terms of service and quality.

My wife and I had to reschedule our connecting flight at a cost to our own when we landed; I have made a claim to BA directly over 2 weeks ago; however, I have heard nothing – compounding the severely poor experience with this provider. We dreaded the return flight. The flight staff were better in this instance, however the elements concerning the plane, food & journey quality were still apparent. I would not recommend this airline for any long-haul journeys – pay the additional £100 and go with a better provider, more equipped for this type of journey. My complaint and claim are still outstanding, and if the current service levels are anything to go by, I don’t expect a response anytime soon.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

A sad story of consistently cancelling advertised flights and bookings. Last year for my wife's 60th Birthday we booked flights to Vienna and back. Flight cancelled. Change to an earlier flight as there was not enough passengers cutting short the holiday and causing terrible upset. Move on 12 mths later going to see a friend terminally ill for a surprise weekend party and guess what. British Airways do it again! Cancelled flight. Booked onto another earlier flight completely destroying the holiday the same date and guess what. Flight cancelled. No apology. No offer of upgrade, just not interested.

Forget Ryan Air, Easy-jet, etc British Airways is the worst Airline there is and we fly a lot. Never again and never book a holiday using BA flights as they will destroy your holiday every year as you can see from this case. Customer Service was too busy and finally when we got through they said as usual sorry cannot help or changing it into simple words we don't care about you or holiday. We are only interested in cancelling flight and taking your money. NEVER USE BRITISH AIRWAYS!!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

British-Airways refuses to Accept Responsibility! Was to fly to Melbourne on 21 JULY 19 from Manchester via Heathrow and Singapore. Arriving late to board my Heathrow Flight, the Check-In-Staff was kind enough to discuss my dilemma with her supervisor. Only option being to find my way to Heathrow. Taking the British Airways' advice, in the heat of summer, somehow managed to get to Heathrow in good time where only Singapore-Melbourne Boarding-Pass was issued. In total disbelief was told by British Airways Ticketing Staff, because Manchester-Heathrow flight was missed, my Heathrow-Singapore was cancelled and subsequently my seat was sold to another passenger and that Manchester ground staff being only contractors advised me wrongly. Surely not passenger’s fault! Numerous approaches to BA Customer’s-Relations as well as the CEO Mr. Alex Cruz were in total vain!

British Airways Company Information