3.79/5

357 British Airways Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

My partner and I booked our ideal trip through Expedia which was completely ruined due to British Airways and Expedia. Let me explain my nightmare, our flight were delayed twice in New York. We left New York around 10pm, when we were supposed to depart at 7:30 pm; all those hours sitting in a plane. Then we arrived to London to connect with our other flight which was suppose to land us on July 18th in Santorini...that flight was no longer available since we arrived late to London due to all the delays. British Airways was not able to accommodate us in any flight to land us in Santorini on the 18th. They were insensitive to our emotions and frustration when they were advised that we were supposed to meet our family in Santorini for a wedding and that our hotel was expensive and we lost a night in our hotel including transportation.

In addition, my anxiety kicked in and started crying and demanded to be treated fairly, was when British Airways decided to give me and my partner ten dollars voucher to eat at the airport. Imagine that, we spend hundreds to get to our ideal vacation and British Airways insult us with a 10 dollar voucher for food. Once I raised awareness on how disrespectful they were, it was when they made arrangements to pay for a local hotel (Holiday Inn) with transportation and food vouchers. They didn't care that I spend hundreds on my hotel in Santorini with all the amenities that I cared for. Please be advised that I was also in London which didn't have the proper funds because I converted all my money in euros and not pound. They wasted a whole day of my vacation, hotel stay and family time.

Inclusive, on July 19 we made the attempt to board our connected flight to Santorini and to no surprise there was another delay...I spend the early day of July 19 on an airport instead of Santorini with my family. Expedia was notified regarding all these incidents and they completely blamed British Airways!. My vacation was ruined and I am scarred.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I will never fly British Airways again, or try to since we didn't actually get to fly with them as they cancelled our tickets. Our flight from SLC to Heathrow was delayed and we informed them before we left the US that we would not make it to our connecting flight, despite the fact that we had almost 4 hours between flights. We were not put on a later flight at that point but when we arrived at Heathrow were told that we could get on the next flight to Copenhagen for another 3200 British Pounds (4 of us)!!! And they had CANCELLED our tickets for the flight we missed (that they knew we were going to miss) as well as our flight 4 DAYS LATER from Copenhagen to Edinburgh.

As a result, we had to fly to Amsterdam that same night, spend the night in a hotel (well, about 5 hours) and fly to Copenhagen the next day (losing a night in the Airbnb we had already paid for in Copenhagen plus paying for a hotel in Amsterdam). And then we had to buy new tickets on EasyJet (another $1220.84 USD) to get from Copenhagen to Edinburgh 4 days later.

So, long story short, I have been trying to get our just over 1000 British Pounds back (about $1600 USD) for flights that we never took because they cancelled our tickets. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. All they have offered so far is to refund the taxes which works out to 66 British pounds per person. All I want is our money back for services we did not get. I'm going to keep fighting and post as much as I can about this horrible experience.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Thank you to Captain & Staff of BA2645 - 8 July. Thank you to the Captain and Staff for their amazing help, attitude and efficiency. We are Australians and on 8 July we were travelling from Malta to UK. Our son took ill just as we were prepared to take-off from Malta airport. He, my husband and I needed to exit the plane to travel by ambulance to the hospital. It was a very stressful time but the help given by the Captain & cabin crew made the situation that bit easier. My son’s recovery is very positive. Please pass on our appreciation to the Captain & Cabin crew. They are great ambassadors for your company.

Original review: July 9, 2019

British Airways costed us hundred of extra dollars due to our flight delay. Our flight was delayed almost three hours and by the time we landed our car rental company was closed so we were stuck at the airport. We had to pay for our taxi to our hotel and back to the airport to schedule ANOTHER car rental which was an additional $250. When we put in a form for compensation they said it’s not their fault and there’s nothing they could do for us.

Original review: June 5, 2019

We took a flight from London to Lyon on British Airways. We had one backpack and one small luggage. There was no problem going. The luggage was only 10kg. Their max weight is 23kg. On our return flight 3 days later they decided that we could not take the luggage and so they charged us $75 each for the luggage. Since they let us take it going we had no way of knowing someone would arbitrarily pick us to charge us! It was a one hour flight. That was almost as much as the ticket!

When I spoke to the customer service manager, Teresa, she said it was the airport who charged us, not British Airways. I told her, "NO, they were wearing British Airways uniforms!" Come on. She refused to give us a refund. This airline steals money from people and there is no way to prepare for that. They are crooks. Where did $75 charge come from?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: May 27, 2019

I was traveling from London to Seattle March 27-28th & in the last 20 minutes I was asked to move into another seat as a woman was fainting. I was in the middle row behind the galley. I could tell by looking at her that it was very bad.. She was ashen, short of breath & in pain. The attendant asked me to hold the oxygen bottle as they tried to get the mask on her face.

Long story but she died on the landing. They never asked if there was any doctor on board in those 20 minutes. As she was dying & I yelled, "she’s coded she’s coded" the doctor & EMT who tried to revive her when we landed could possibly have helped in those 20 minutes & it might have had a different outcome. As I was leaving the plane at the front an attendant said "I hope you enjoyed your flight" & I replied "No, a woman just died in my arms". She replied.. "oh I heard". When I asked questions later.. wrote a letter I was just told the “ incident” was over. So badly handled. Staff not trained & they didn’t give a damn.

Original review: May 21, 2019

The short of it is that BA cancelled our return flight from Athens and offered no viable alternative that fit into our tour schedule. We agreed to take the ordinal flight from Athens to Chicago and find our way back to Pittsburgh on another airline as long as they would compensate us for that leg. They refuse to give us anything saying that they offered us other alternatives and we declined. This airline has the worst customer relations dept ever. I will never fly this airline again.

Original review: May 19, 2019

If I could award zero points I would! I paid to fly premium economy as flight was 12 hours and night flights. Hoped to get seats on newer carrier but no such luck! Seats were uncomfortable, leg room not much more than in economy, recline function no better than economy. Apart from the 2 main courses, the food was inedible with bizarre ingredients. I thought my breakfast contained halloumi only to find it was a rubberized poached egg! Pointless providing hot breakfasts that are so disgusting they are mostly thrown away. Roll, cheese, ham and a hard boiled egg would be more practical and enjoyable. Dry pastries are a disgrace as well as being unhealthy. So much for the promise by BA that there's more choice on the menu! Choice of new film releases was good but music choices terrible!! Staff were aloof and made no effort to engage with customers. I will NEVER fly with BA again!

Original review: April 30, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would! Not that my review would make a great impact, seeing how many negative reviews they have, but I would still want to share my story. I booked a flight from Bucharest to London and return and it was a total disaster. When we were at the airport, they informed us that the flight will be delayed for 5 hours (from 8 am to 1 pm), then another 1 hour and a half ( until 2:30 pm). We lost 3 buses and the money we paid for the bus tickets and now they would not refund. Returning to Bucharest our flight was delayed for 1 hour and a half and they did not even inform us about it. I understand that unforeseen situation can happen, but I have never seen such a poorly prepared company in my life. The flight delays are a standard of British Airways, as I can see. Stay away!

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have a boarding pass to Ataturk airport, printed out about an hour ago. Trying to arrange a transfer I am told it is shut. After 50 mins on the phone to BA, they do not seem to know which airport their planes are going to land in!!! The lady had to put me on hold many times and when I said I washed to speak to her supervisor, I was cut off!!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Family was booked to fly to Bordeaux on Dec 21, 2018. Severe flight disruption due to drone incident and Gatwick Airport was shut for a few days. On the evening of Dec 20, the airport was still closed and BA offered for refund. However accidentally clicked cancel instead of refund, wrote in only to receive a response saying refund was correctly calculated. I have to send a snail mail to the refund section to appeal and only to be told that the refund was correctly calculated. The response was however emailed to me but I was unable to reply on the email. BA makes it difficult for any complaint to get through.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I made an August summer holiday booking on BA's website on 30 May 2018. The confirmation was correct except for one word "June". I had booked dates for "August". A week later when I caught the error, the June flight had already flown so I could only get back some taxes. BA claimed this was my input error. The reason I am 100% sure this was not my error is that I had online records of the flight search for August dates at the time of my booking, the price of the flight did not change even though the dates changed from 69 days to 7 days forward (not possible) and I received no pre-flight communications before the June flight date. I was out of pocket £780.40!

After going through the BA claim process unsuccessfully, I referred the matter to the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) who reviewed the case thoroughly and judged that the problem was indeed a "system error and not human error" and that "the date input by the passenger was changed due to a system error". However, CEDR did not award me a refund because I did not notify BA within the 24 hours cooling off period stated in the confirmation which is provided for customer errors not system errors.

This has happened multiple times to customers reported on this website, so it is not an isolated instance. So beware, what you input to the BA reservation website is not necessarily what your confirmation will state. It may be a change of only 1 word or number. CHECK YOUR CONFIRMATION CAREFULLY! More importantly, YOU ARE LIABLE FOR BA'S SYSTEM ERRORS! I know, this is unjust and unconscionable but that is the ruling of CEDR and British Airways. CAVEAT EMPTOR! (Buyer beware!) Or possibly, fly with airline who doesn't have recurring system errors.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Booked first Class 3 return tickets from India to USA. Paid 13.5 lakh INR. Dad passed away mid travel in USA. Per their website and rules and their letter, they were supposed to refund one way passage money and charge no cancellation fee - for bereavement. They returned 56000INR. This is not even close to one way passage for one ticket.

They would not respond for the math to the travel agency. They would not respond to us directly for the algorithm they used. Just were super rude on the phone. They have nothing on their website towards any rule. Lastly they just sent a letter saying that their decision was final and there is no recourse except to file charges with some EU agency and such. WORST WORST airline, BAD service en route, RUDEST customer service people. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH this AIRLINE.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My recent flight home from Malaga to London Gatwick due to take off at 20.20 on 26/01. Due to severe fog the flight was eventually canceled after being given three separate departure times. Eventually notified on my BA app at 22.15 that said flight was cancelled. Told by ground crew to go to handling agents desk (Iberia) in main arrival hall, which was closed! Totally unable to contact BA in any way, shape or form. Now too late for any public transport, and not knowing when a return flight was available, no option but to hire a car to get back to my daughter's villa in Elviria.

My first opportunity to contact BA was the next morning at 0700 to then find no flights available till 28/01. So now I’ve incurred hire car charges, an overstay charge at BCP parking at Gatwick. On contacting BA customer relations I’m told to submit receipts for extra charges incurred, my bank details, etc. To then be told 3 weeks later, "Sorry on this occasion we’re not prepared to reimburse your costs, you need to claim thru your travel insurance. We can gladly supply any documents you may need to do this." However, they now seem to have lost stuff I sent them, and now they can’t supply proof of delayed flight! The country's favourite... You're having a laugh!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have a spinal fusion and so we decided to upgrade from premium economy to business class for comfort as my back had been sore during our 5 week vacation. We travelled on 10 different flights during our holiday, all business class. British Airways was en route to our final destination. I upgraded online, payment was taken apparently 3 times! I kept receiving confirmations that my booking had been changed, but when logging into manage bookings no changes had been made.

I contacted BA via a phone call and was told no upgrade had been made. I contacted my bank who told me that payment of £1,858.21 had been taken by BA. I contacted BA again and was on my mobile from Mauritius for 28 minutes, just for that one call then I ended up being cut off!! I received a call back from the same customer service agent for 58 minutes, during which time I missed a video call from my daughter showing me my granddaughters first steps!!! I did explain to the agent that I was going for dinner, in the time I was on hold with the agent while she checked with another department about my payments, I had already arrived, ordered and started eating my dinner.

Long and short is, I was told by the agent it was sorted and she was just issuing the tickets - then I cut got of again!!! I did receive an email to tell me we were upgraded, this time it showed Club World. Morning of departure we arrived at the desk, handed over our passports, to be told that we were expected and we had two seats together, a very short lived feeling of relief ran through my body. My husband was told to put the first case on the belt and then we were told we needed to go to another desk to receive the tickets as they hadn’t been issued yet???

My husband stayed with the luggage and the agent who had our passports. I went to the desk, which had two Mauritian airport customer advisors, not BA agents. They phoned BA (seemingly the 2nd call that morning to BA regarding my husband and I.) The Airport agent asked me for the credit card used for the booking, which was handed over. I could tell from her face that there seemed to be a problem, when I asked what was happening she replied that BA said they didn’t receive payment??? So off it went again, I waited literally the guts of over an hour standing at that desk, my husband was so angry as he knew my back was bad and said to two different BA agents at the airport. Not once did anyone say, "Do you need a seat?", apologize for the wait and sheer anguish caused by BA.

After another long wait, in which time I asked to speak to the BA agent on the phone but was told they wouldn’t speak to me. Finally they came back to say it was their mistake, and in fact, yes they had received payment, but it was in GBP and they needed me to pay again in Mauritian rupees instead?? Seemingly looking me to pay even more money!! They were looking £2000 instead of the £1,858.21 I had already paid. I explained my bank would place a hold on doing another transaction of that amount and wouldn’t let it go through as they are very thorough about transactions like that. I asked what the problem was as the payment had been made, surely the amount asked for in booking had been made so the currency shouldn’t matter - I paid online what was asked.

To get the ball rolling, I told them to take payment again - and surprise surprise, the card wasn’t accepted. I explained that I have already paid, showed them my Club World confirmation - but was told no!!! At that point I couldn’t take anymore, I asked what we could do. We were asked if we could pay any other way - I explained no. At that point I asked what they could do, even the Mauritian customer agents at the airport were visibly annoyed at what was happening with us.

So I said we would have to travel premium economy as I had no other way of paying AGAIN for the seats we already owned and paid for.

At that point it became too much for me and I broke down crying, I was very upset and other BA customers were looking, not once, did any BA staff ask if I was ok. It was deplorable the way we have been treated. I had to sit for 12 and a half hours on a narrow seat with metal rods and pins in my back. I now need to see my GP on Monday as my back is in agony. By the time we were mistreated by BA and went through security we had to board the flight straight off and didn’t even get time to eat, shop or use the toilets. Avoid using them - they are useless! !

Original review: March 5, 2019

We traveled to Mexico and back flights BA2203/2202 in February 2019. We were given forms to fill out to enter Mexico. When I asked for help with these forms the staff seemed like they really couldn’t be bothered. Like it was a real hassle. I understand they must get this all the time but it’s serious if you get things wrong in these countries. A lady had trouble as her daughter had been sick in a bag and no one wanted to help her. She was at the end of her tether. Poor thing. On the way home one of the staff was really abrupt with passengers including me who weren’t putting their luggage properly in the overhead lockers. There’s no excuse for bad manners especially from an airline you are expecting to be a higher class than some of the others.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Our daughter flew British Airways in October 2018 with a small carry on bag. She travelled without incident from NY to England. On her return trip, she was not allowed to check her bag even though the dimensions and weight were within parameters. The staff was rude and charged her the full bag charge. We have spent endless hours out of principle to resolve this matter to no avail. We also mailed a letter to the CEO who refused to respond. Buyer BEWARE! This airline entices the consumer with a reasonable fare and then overcharges the consumer without care or rationale. U.S. Consumer.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Overcharging customers with all kind of excuses for extra weight right at the airport. Delays. Lost of luggage And more... We had horrible experience by British Airways flying before from Vancouver Canada to Norway before. Our daughter lives in Oslo and we fly at least once a year to Oslo. Last year we decided to never fly British Airways again and never buy their horrible cars as we have owned all kind of them. Anyway, my wife was travelling to Oslo this year again and this time we bought a ticket from FinAir only realizing at the Vancouver Airport that we have been cheated as FinAir is operated by British Airways too.

Firstly my wife was charged $300 for extra weight at the airport with all kind of excuses. Secondly, she arrives on time at the worst European airport called Heathrow but due to the emptiness of the flight to Oslo they cancel her flight and postpone it by 3 hours. Realizing that her luggage are lost for the second time in a year by British Airways! Are you due to travel anywhere in the world, fly any other airlines but definitely avoid British Airways and their cars or perhaps anything British for peace of mind?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My husband and I flew on British Airways flight BA-228 from Baltimore to London Heathrow leaving on the 12th February 2019. Every aspect of the flight was poorer than what any of the low budget airlines have to offer. The plane itself was shabby and dated. The seat reclining facility did not operate properly, was not that comfortable, and we had less legroom than the equivalent with budget airlines. The touch screen TV monitor was not working properly. One earbud on the headphones did not work. The audio socket was too loose for the headphones so the plug kept falling out making it difficult to enjoy the in-flight entertainment (which in itself had a dated choice). The pillow was disgusting and kept falling out of the flimsy cover. The air conditioning lacked consistency alternating between very hot and very cold air. The restroom occupied sign always lit up as vacant even if it was occupied.

However what made the flight very unpleasant was the bad attitude of the cabin crew. They were abrupt, unfriendly and quite clearly did not want to be there. There was one exception, an extremely pleasant older crew member who greeted us on and off the flight. There did not appear to be any organisation or smooth coordination when distributing the meals. Our two trays of food were placed on top of each other and practically thrown at us by a sour faced crew member.

This flight was one hour late making us nervous about catching our connecting flight. There was no information or instructions given to us about connecting flight gate numbers before we landed. Unlike all the other airlines that I have traveled with there were no staff member greeting the connecting customers to point them in the right direction or reassure them. British Airways would be my last choice of an airline to travel with and I would only fly with them again if there was no other option.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I would request you all please avoid flying with British Airways. It's not like how it looks like, seats are not comfortable at all, cushions are ripped and moreover the crew is so arrogant and ill-mannered.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Of the last 50 long haul return air journeys I made in the past 52 years I regretted opting for the first time this World's Least Favourite Airline this time round. On my onward journey I lost £75 worth of five perfume gift bottles - all well known brands - because they were just over 100ml! I felt disgusted with this Budget Airline - not worth calling it British Airways - I warn other would be passengers never ever fly by this airline. The "cattle class" is worse than even for cattles to travel, the food was tasteless and passengers were supposed to eat it in dimmed light, where you don't see the food that was served. I took one bite and asked the overweight and middle aged lady cabin staff to take that away. I did not bother to eat breakfast thereafter.

On my return journey, I had to pay extra £65 because check-in staff thought my cattle class baggage was two inches long! So you can see I paid or incurred losses of £75+£65 = £140 although I was well under 23kg or whatever this Budget Airline had allowed me the baggage allowance [my baggage weighed 18kg]. I will never fly by this world's least favourite Budget Airline or was it British Airways? in the future. This airline deserves no star, but I was too generous to give it one star.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I wanted to do two things: Change my email address on my account. Book a flight for someone else with my Avios. Guess what, none of that was possible online. So I called them and after waiting more than TWO hours (not exaggerating) and being connected to THREE different persons (based in India or Pakistan I assume regarding their accent), they told me they can't change my email address, I have to submit a special form. Well, THREE hours altogether to make a booking which should be doable online in five minutes. And, they were complaining that they have too many phone calls. No way!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had my round trip tickets in BA business class. During my outbound journey, the entertainment system didn't work at all for a long haul flight of more than 13 hours. During my inbound journey, I was stranded in Mumbai for straight two days or 48 hours earlier this month. First, I missed a connection to London due to bad weather merely by 15 minutes. They had rebooked me on the next day flight, which was also canceled due to technical issue. The BA airport staff or customer service didn't even bother to offer a hotel stay during these two nights. Extremely terrible experience and frustrated throughout the journey. My family would never fly again with BA nor I'd recommend it to any of my friends and relatives.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Poor service, rude staff and just outright dishonest! British Airways is the worst airline that I have ever encountered. They canceled flights at the last minute, did not honor pre-paid seat upgrades and extremely rude. Not to mention, they would not refund any money! Travelers, do your research! There are far better options out there. We will never fly British Airways again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Don't even waste your time with this horrible airline! They lost my luggage while traveling to a 7 day cruise and they are incompetent! The luggage has still not been found and may never be found! I hope when choosing airlines, use someone else! Their customer service for lost luggage is located in India and they ARE VERY RUDE, and hung up on us several times. When asking for a supervisor, several of the call takes advised they have NO supervisor! Good luck if you try this airline, I will chose someone else when BA is an option!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I frequently rent cars around the world, and I recently booked a car through the British Airways website to be picked up and returned to Fiumicino Airport. When I collected the car at the airport, I also took on the additional protection to remove the excess. On finishing the rental, I had the unpleasant surprise of an extra charge of 84 Euros for "location services" and an extra 14 euros for "road taxes". This is although I was collecting and returning exactly where my voucher stated.

The Customer Relation from British Airways was incredibly unhelpful and stated that this extra charge was due to the fact that I took "optional extra" and that Avis charges these as a percentage. They refused to accept any responsibility on the fare they advertised on their website (stating it included location rental) and on the fact that these hidden charges were not mentioned anywhere in the contract.

When I asked to talk to one of the manager they did not send me any details and said I should contact the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) for an independent decision, but recognized that "the scope of the adjudication scheme is limited and it could be that your complaint falls outside of it." I am writing this review to really inform customers NOT to book cars via the BA website as the fares you will pay are not the final ones.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I rate THIS REVIEW -5*. Our flight Phoenix-London 6th November 2018. Premier Economy on a 747-400 pre 2005. Old seats, rubbish food, entertainment, AC, and light systems broken all night. Freezing cold. Dirty toilets. No sleep. Over 2 hour delay before flight, crew was very late. On arrival at Heathrow we had to stay on a slip road for 30 minutes waiting for a parking space. Group boarding at Phoenix was out of control, customers jumping the queue, no control by BA staff. Customers with mobility problems (please be assured that I have nothing against people with genuine mobility problems) but I did notice that at Phoenix departure lounge there was at least 12 wheelchair customers with friends/families and 1 young person with a walking stick and family/friends boarding first. I now at least know why when we board the overhead lockers are almost full.

I thought that customers with mobility problems have to show a certificate to receive the free mobility service, however BA tell me they do not need proof that a person is disabled, so anyone who says they are disabled can use the free service from departure lounge to the departure gate and then onto the aircraft with their friends/families. WOW!! Anyway, I had the right to complain to BA and they had the cheek to offer us 5000 Avios each, that's about 50£ each for 10 hours no sleep, freezing cold, tatty aircraft, no entertainment. It won`t make difference to BA if we use another airline in the future, its all about supply and demand. Our loyalty to BA for many years is not worth a light.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

8 times now e-mailing BA to try to resolve an issue with no response! For a company like this it's disgusting, that they are happy to take your money and then when things go wrong they want nothing to do with you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I booked Tickets from Sydney to Hong Kong and on to London and return for five adults. The first leg was on Cathay Pacific. I booked the seats straight away at no extra costs. When I tried to book seats on British Airways there was cost of approximately $AU100 per person per journey total cost of $AU1000, or you could take potluck 24 hours before the flight. Also the outward journey allowed 30 kg per person checked I luggage but the return journey only allowed 23 kg. Anybody thinking of booking flights from Australia on British Airways should take these costs and restrictions onto account most other airline have no seat allocation charges and allow 30 kgs of baggage. I will not be caught by British Airways again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Today I had a terrible experience with British Airways. My family (my wife and 8-year old son) was not allowed to check in to a British Airways flight scheduled from Brussels (Belgium) to Heathrow (UK) this morning. It’s the first leg of their journey, followed by a connecting British Airways flight from Heathrow to Bangalore, India (their final destination).

The issue was whether my family would need a transit visa for layover of 2 hours at the London Heathrow airport without changing the terminal (Terminal 5). The lady at the British Airways Check-In assistance desk at Brussels airport kept arguing that we must have a transit visa to pass through UK Border control. I tried to convince her that my family wouldn’t need to cross border control since they wouldn’t need to change terminal/airport. In addition, my family had valid US visas on their passports and valid resident permits from an EEA country (the plastic cards with chip issued by Belgium authority/commune). This means my family is exempted of a transit visa and wouldn’t need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) or a Visitor in Transit visa.

But the lady at the British Airways Check-in desk failed to understand this. Instead she was forcing us to buy another airlines ticket from an adjacent counter. After much persuasion, the lady at the British Airways Check-in desk agreed to check in my wife but denied check-in for my son. This was because my wife had a valid resident permit card (plastic card) with a chip while my son had his valid resident permit in paper format (issued by the Belgian commune and legally accepted everywhere) and not in plastic with a chip. For me, it was very strange.

I was very much aware of the visa guidelines as outlined by www.Gov.UK and therefore I tried to explain the same to the lady at the British Airways check-in assistance desk at Brussels airport. But it was in vain as she or her duty manager did not allow my family to check in at the end. British Airways is simply playing patriotic with an excuse from a country (UK) that does not know which side they belong to. It may be legally acceptable, but morally it isn’t for any international traveler. I don’t know how long British Airways would be able to sustain with this kind of unfriendly attitude. Today I went through a loss of around 1400 euros (worth of ticket), mental peace, and had to go through a lot of stress, agony and frustration. I wish no international traveler should go through this ever. I demand a compensation from British Airways in form of refund for the tickets.

British Airways Company Information