British Airways

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Totally gobsmacked with a response I received from British Airways about a change I requested. I am returning to the UK catching a flight from Brisbane to Sydney then Sydney to Heathrow. What I wanted to do is catch the flight from Sydney. I was only cancelling a flight from Brisbane to Sydney and joining the return flight at Sydney rather than Brisbane. I was not expecting a refund but was expecting an administration charge. Well I was told that this change would cost £180 as they had to recalculate the flight costs. That makes no sense to me at all as they are not incurring additional flight costs. I found their response insensitive, dismissive and inappropriate. Fly regular to Australia but after this experience will not use British Airways. Disgusted with their response.

I have been loyal to BA since 1993. Customer service has progressively deteriorated. On my last transatlantic flight I bought duty-free alcohol that was not sealed in its bag by the cabin crew and was confiscated, unopened, in LHR as a carry-on security risk. However, seating comfort has become the main problem, and it appears paying 50% extra for premium economy is the only solution, if you can find the seats. The entertainment system is quite decent, though. I think most airlines are (literally) squeezing anything they can from us, but until I can drive over the atlantic, I'll be choosing Swiss(Air).

British Airways cancelled our flight from Rome to London. They offered an alternative flight. However we would have miss our connecting flight back to the US. We had to book on another airline & it cost us an additional $2600 to get home. No compensation for our financial loss & their customer service in dealing with this was terrible.

I had a return flight scheduled from Stuttgart, Germany back to USA. There were 2 stop-overs on the way. First in Dublin, Ireland and the second in Chicago, IL before getting to my final destination SNA (California). At first, the flight in Stuttgart was delayed by 50 mins, then they boarded us and we stood in the gangway (about 100 people) for about 1 hour before they said we need to go back to the boarding area. Turns out that we had to sit back down for 20 mins more before they announced the flight was cancelled. They confirmed that there was no mechanical issue, and no weather issue. Finally, they did confirm that it was a crew issue. They did not have enough rested crew to leave. The staff suggested I go to the BA counter outside and get a new itinerary planned with them and they can also arrange a hotel for the night.

Ok, now what? There was no guidance from the ground staff. No plan of action, just a cancellation. I had already exited Germany as far as my password was concerned. I had to get the immigration officer to undo the exit stamp by signing and giving a reason why I did not leave Germany. Then I went to the BA check-in counter outside and they were closed. Went to ground services travel desk and all they could do was try to find a new flight and issue a new ticket and the only flight available was 2 days later at Euro 2,300. Not really an option for me. I called BA (International call for me, very expensive!) and they denied that the flight was cancelled and insisted that I was a no-show. After insisting that I was right and I have proof since I live in the real world and they are just looking at some computer screen, about 1 hour later they agreed that the flight was cancelled. Unbelievable!

The next course of action was to book me on the next possible flights. Which was next day 11:20 am. Everything was handled smoothly to generate a new itinerary and I was satisfied (for now). They said a new ticket # will be generated and everything will be emailed to me shortly. When I asked about the hotel for the night, since the flight was cancelled they made me hold for about 20 mins and agreed. Then transferred me to another department that would book the hotel. The lady on the next call said they can only make new hotel reservations that would cost me, rather than helping me in lieu of cancelled flight. Hmmm... they deceived me!! She insisted that they would not be able to provide a hotel for the night and apologized that the ground staff and the others I spoke to were wrong. Ah, did I fail to mention that she too did not believe me that the flight was cancelled.

I arranged a room using Hotels.com nearby for about $105, at a fairly nice and comfortable hotel. It was one station over on the S-Bahn which is conveniently at the airport. I lost my non-refundable one night hotel in Dublin $80. So, the total cost to me was about $185. I was really happy that everything was now working out and I had some rest. But my intuition told me to keep checking my email for the confirmed flight itinerary with the new ticket number. I had received nothing. I called them in the middle of the night, around 3 am now. Lot of holding time, but finally got somebody. They said the new ticket will not be issued because the flight was not cancelled, and since I was a no-show they could not help me. Oh no!

I have had it with these British people. I mean seriously, not just the company, but the people. It seems they are really stupid. I had to go through the whole process of describing my troubles and having proof of living in the real world, etc. Finally, about 5 am, they agreed. But still no email till about 8 am with the new ticket number. More phone calls (again International), they refused to admit the flight was cancelled. I could not bear it anymore. I checked out of the hotel and went to the airport.

People were already checking in for the 11:20 am flight. When my turn came, I had a nice German girl who saw my issue. I was in the system, but she could not generate a boarding pass since a new ticket number was not assigned. She made several calls to BA staff in UK and I could not tell exactly the conversations but it was clear she was getting upset at how rude they were to her. She tried her best on a her station but could not succeed. The checking line was long, but she did not let that bother her. She stuck with me to solve my problem. She said it happens a lot that there is a flight cancelled and British Airways denies their passengers, I guess hoping they are in a panic or urgency that they will just buy a new ticket.

She called the German ground staff who was expert with the computer software and he was able to get through lots of options and then enter me as a new ticket number. I think it took him a good 20-25 mins, but he was able to print out boarding passes for me and have me on my way. I could not even say thank you properly since I was emotional inside. You ever have the feeling of crying out of happiness. The feeling that there must be a God. This was proof. Everything from that point went smoothly. I don't know what I would have done if wasn't for these two Germans who helped me.

I think Germans know that British are liars and scheming to make more money. And that BA runs this way. I think in their industry it is common-place. None of this needed to happen to me. If BA wanted to take care of me, they would have instantly, right when they knew the flight was cancelled at the gate itself. But they don't care. Oh, did I mention that all the BA flights are old, not in good shape, entertainment screens are fuzzy and seats are old and beat up. But that was not as important as just making it back home to California.

Refusal to compensate - On Monday evening 5/8/2017, my daughter received an email that a leg of her BA flight booked through Explore Trip was canceled and she was placed on a later flight! This was not acceptable and would mess up all our plans. We started calling early on Tuesday to see what her other options were. I could sense from the first call that this was going to be a terrible battle. My daughter was trying to handle as much as she could on her own but this was her week of final exams. So I started calling, in the meantime, since she was making no headway, we incurred additional expenses to find an alternative way for her to get home.

The first call was at 12:35 pm, we spoke to Mason and were told the system was down, he took our number and said that he would call us back in 10 minutes. The call never came so we called back at 4:30 pm and spoke to Annabelle, explained the situation and told her that at this point we needed a refund on the Chicago to St. Louis portion of the trip because we have made alternate arrangements. After a long hold, she came back to the line and said that she could not do partial refunds, we would have to contact the airline directly. We got the number from her and called British Airways.

We spoke to Patrick at British Airways (5:30 pm), explained the situation to him and offered up a flight leaving Chicago at 10:19 am that would get my daughter home at 11:27 am (she was originally scheduled to be in St. Louis at 8 am). My daughter said she put Patrick on hold to call me to see if this would work, I told her no it would not. We had plans already made and could not change them. She told Patrick this would not work and that she just needed that leg of the flight canceled. He said in order to do this she would need to call back to the travel agency that we booked through. Here is where the run around begins.

She explained that she had talked to Explore Trip and they said they could not do the cancellation, she would have to go through British Airways. Now British Airways is telling her to call Explore Trip back. Patrick told her that they would need to call their travel support line if they needed help with the cancellation. I called Explore Trip back and spoke to George (6:16 pm), he wanted to tell me the same thing, I had to call British Airways. I told him I was not hanging up until we had a resolution and asked him to call British Airways with me on the line. Joyce from British Airways talked to us.

Long story short, George had already canceled the flight (hum) and claimed he could not give me our refund amount. I would have to get that from British Airways. Joyce stated that that was not true. He would get the refund amount from the travel trade line. At this point, I am beyond angry. We disconnected with Joyce and George told me I would have to call back in 3-4 business days for the refund amount.

I called today and there was more run around! We still don't have the amount of our refund. I have posted messages on Facebook and Twitter. None of this is happening from anything WE DID! This is on British Airways and Explore Trip, you all made the changes that cause us an inconvenience. We are only asking for what is fair and what is due to us. A refund for the leg of the flight that my daughter could not take due to YOUR LAST MINUTE CHANGES! For you to say you cannot help because we went through a travel agency is just a cop out! In the end, it is your airline that made the change and you profited in some manner from our purchase. You can definitely do something!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Best airline crew and ground staff. Very helpful rather than trouble! Food serve on international flights are good! I love this airline. If you have extra luggage, they allow you!! Very friendly staff!

My mother has a severe back problem that has left her with limited mobility. She was booked for a flight from ORTA to HRE-ZW and we explained and requested wheelchair assistance as she was in pain. We were told not to worry and that this would be arranged. She waiting in the holding area and a BA representative came through and said they would not provide this assistance as requested earlier on because there is no booking.

Surely such a big organization dealing with the public should have contingencies in place. Anyway to make matters worse she was made to carry her luggage and drag herself to the terminal in great pain without any assistance from British Airways representatives at all. As we speak my mom is bedridden and her situation has been worsened due to this mistreatment. #NOT_A _HAPPY_CUSTOMER.

My wife and I were flying from San Diego to London on BA272, April 17, 2017. Our assigned seats were 29A and B. Because of my 2 prior back surgeries and knee pain we asked for upgrade to premium seats, and charged 2x $380. We were given seats 22E and 22F, which was in the middle of the row. The 2 individuals on both sides of us slept throughout the flight and we could not even get up or use the facilities for the 11 hour travel time. It proved to be an extremely uncomfortable flight and worthless upgrade costing us an extra $760.

I contacted this company on 4/3 to make a reservation from Philadelphia (PHL) to Beirut (BEY). I was quoted a price of $1,958 flying American Airlines (AA) from Philadelphia (PHL) to London then British Airways (BA) from London to Beirut. In the past, I had bad experience with switching airlines as my luggage don't arrive to their final destination on time. I aired my concerned to the representative.

The representative told me that I can fly BA from PHL to London and BA from London to Beirut (different plane but same airlines all the way) but the price is almost $237 higher ($2,195). I decided to go with this option. BA all the way. Then I learned after I booked the flight that my waiting time will be 8 hours in the airport. I am traveling with an infant so I decided to select back the first option (AA) as the waiting is closer to 4 hours. I was told by the representative that AA option is NOW (10 minutes later) priced at the same option as BA option ($2,170).

This is happening during the same phone call. He said the prices went up since 10 minutes ago and he can no longer reserve the flight at $1,958. I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor told me that prices change and they can no longer book the flight at that price. Funny thing is as was waiting on hold for the supervisor, BA was boasting that the price you see is the price you pay as an advertisement. Which is not true! Even the price is quoted by a BA representative is not the price you pay. So I kept my reservation with BA $2,195.

After I hanged up, I called American Airlines (AA) and gave them my Booking reference with BA. AA stated the flight is available at $1,958. So I called back BA to cancel. BA canceled the flight. We are not done yet. I reviewed my credit card statement and I found out that I charged $70 fee because I made the reservation/cancellation over the phone. I was not told about this fee. I called BA and spent 25 minutes on the phone to get my fee waived. I am not surprised that they have one star rating. Where's the zero option? AVOID THIS COMPANY.

I was flying business class from the UK to Hong Kong and the journey commenced in Scotland, on arrival at the airport the check in desk happily informed me apparently I was booked on 2 separate tickets and as a result would not check my bag all the way to HK, thus I reluctantly checked in to London on the basis I had to collect my bags and then recheck in at London (a pain as I had BA flight to London and BA flight to HK ie same airline and Business Class). Then the flight was delayed by circa 2 hrs which meant I now did not have time to collect bags and check in in London, thus I asked to be moved to the later flight.

This they offered to do for GBP 4760 ie I had to fully buy another ticket to do the journey, never heard of anything so stupid in all my life, I then spent a long time debating this with them only to have to succumb to buying a premium economy flight GBP 1200 one way. Having been a loyal BA customer who frequently travels from HK to the UK and a gold card holder I can honestly say I will never travel with British Airways again.

This airline don't have any coordination with the alliances and delete flights. Happen to me in flight Barcelona to Paris. Delete flights and I lost all my connections. I arrive to my destination two days later. I almost lost my job because this company. If they delete the first flight, they has to have tolerance in each flight connections. I least 10 or 20 minutes, when I got the door for connect the plane closed the doors. They has to give me immediately the next flight, but it don't happen. I lost two days in my job and paid for these days, because the airlines, British Airways and alliances Vueling. Bad experience.

We flew our two Bernese Mountain Dogs from the UK to the USA last year using British Airways. We were nervous about the long flight but trusted BA with the care of our pets. How wrong could we be! We chose to fly them into Atlanta as we were assured that they had the facilities to handle our dogs. This meant an 8 hour round trip to collect them as we were told that our local airport, Charlotte, didn't have the same facilities. We made sure that we were there when the flight arrived as I didn't want them waiting at the airport too long.

When we arrived to collect the dogs they were being held in a noisy and extremely hot freight warehouse, not the air conditioned kennels that we expected and were led to believe. The dogs were very distressed and extremely hot. What concerned us more was that at some stage during their transit someone had removed their water. They were desperately dehydrated and at one stage my larger 100 lb Bernese collapsed. It was the most distressing thing I have ever witnessed. To cut a long story short we spoke with the BA representative who honestly couldn't care less. No one was at all interested that my dogs had been in transit for over 9 hours without water. We weren't offered any explanation and they didn't want to know. We paid a lot of money to fly our pets and expected BA to have some sort of duty of care.

I would never recommend using them for shipping your pets. If we hadn't turned up to collect our pets when we did it could have ended with the death of one or both of our beloved dogs. I would never recommend using them to fly pets, they really don't care! The company we used to arrange the transit of our pets have since discontinued using BA for future clients' pets. They are now using Virgin Atlantic.

Though very kind customer service representatives on phones, totally unprofessional responses. Bag was checked-in at Heathrow, other 4 members of our family received their bags in Boston, mine still missing. Or is it? Daily phone calls to BA for 2 weeks now: (5-20 minutes each) = bag not found, bag found, bag on the way to me, bag never found, bag made it to Boston, no bag with my name or tag number located, bag found and on the way to me, bag never left Heathrow, "52% certainty it's your bag" (?!?), bag at Heathrow, maybe. Two supervisors have 'filed expedited reports and will contact me via email tomorrow' (no emails yet). Checking daily, online, my lost bag file: no change, no info beyond my descriptions and "locating bag". I've described nearly all contents, much unique, 'can you describe contents?' remains as a request.

Is this a multi-million dollar established company or a joke? I have never encountered such dishonesty/ disorganized responses in over 35 years of business. By phone, online, at Boston, at Heathrow -- no accurate info and plenty of conflicting info/dishonest info/incomplete info. Shocking. Oh, and virtually impossible to write or speak with anyone beyond powerless telephone operators, website has no contact info for that, just more forms to fill in.

My 14 year old daughter and I recently flew to visit her brother in Salzburg. We flew through London Heathrow on a day there was too much fog on for our connecting flight to leave on time. We had to wait in line for over 6 HOURS. The customer service number for BA was not working (even though they had a message up on the screen for us to call that number) and none of the agents could tell us anything about next steps. There were people with small children, and elderly all just waiting and waiting for help without answers for that many hours.

We were finally rerouted through Vienna and arrived in Salzburg WITHOUT our bags. I received my bag within 2 day however my daughter's bag was missing the ENTIRE 10 day trip. We are back home in the States now and still no bag. We were lied to, insulted, and literally told that until the bag is missing for 21 days there is nothing we can do. I will never fly this airlines again. They are partners with one of my favorite airlines in the States, Alaska Air so I am sorry to learn that one the best airlines in the US is a partner with the absolute worst I have ever encountered. DO NOT TRUST THIS AIRLINE WITH YOUR BAGS!

My name is John **, on the 29/11/16 Me and my partner returned from what was supposed to be a dream holiday from Cape Town to London on a business class flight BA0042, It's not very often that I can afford to fly business so was quite excited about my flight home as we always have a good experience with British Airways, once in our seats we realised that there was something wrong with the entertainment system on both mine and my partners seats plus the couple in front of us, we told the steward who apologized and tried to fix the problem. He said that he tried to reset the system three times but I never saw the screen turn off and go back on once to indicate that it was being reset.

I don't sleep well on flights so we were very disappointed to not be able to watch any films on such a long and very expensive flight, we were told that another 48 systems in economy were down and that there was nothing he could do, I had finished my book the day before so didn't even have anything to read before I attempted sleep, when the lights were out and everyone was sleeping I put my seat into bed mode and tried to sleep, as soon as I moved and put any pressure on the bottom of the bed, the leg part of the seat collapsed to the floor.

I returned my seat back up and had to lift the bottom leg part all the way back up then bring it back down to get it back in the position for sleeping, I returned my seat back down and tried again, but again any small amount of pressure from my legs made it collapse, that part of the seat is attached to the seat in front so every time it fell it jolted the poor woman's seat and kept her awake, she wasn't happy and told me about this when we were all awake, as it was late and the lights were out.

I finally got the stewardesses attention and she got the guy who had tried to fix the tv problem and all he could do was apologize again saying this has happened before and again there was nothing he could do, I didn't get any sleep and it was the worst flight I have ever taken. I also had to go straight to work from this flight, to make things worse, my partner's glasses fell on the floor during the night and someone stepped on them and broke them in half. He cannot function without them, the female stewardess was quite sarcastic and unsympathetic saying falling asleep with your glasses on wasn't very wise, he didn't fall asleep with them on and he didn't appreciate her comments.

The steward gave us forms to fill out and said that we would be compensated for such a bad flight, after not hearing from BA, I contacted BA via the BA website link and made my complaints explaining everything and received a reply from a very unhelpful, unsympathetic customer relations person (Sophie **) apologizing about our bad experience and offered me 8000 avios points as a good will gesture, I was not happy with this. My flight alone cost £2,000 and I also had to pay £95 to reserve my seat so that I could be sure I would be sitting next to my partner.

8000 doesn't even cover the price for reserving the seat, I sent more emails to her saying how unhappy I was by her decision, and she replied saying she would not be changing her mind on the matter and there will be no compensation. I asked her for names of people above her that I could contact about this and she just gave me two web addresses that are nothing to do with BA, Nearly £2,100 is a huge amount of money for me to pay for one flight.

I few economy going out to Cape Town and cost just under £500 and was a great flight. I wish I booked economy for my return, the experience made a very miserable end to my great holiday. I cannot believe BA treat people like this, my partners flight was an open flight so his cost so much more than mine and he still hasn't heard from BA even after I filled both our complaints forms out on the plane and handed them back to the steward as we left the plane, he wants me to deal with his complaint but I have added his email address for him to be contacted. Please let me know how to get this resolved, I have been advised to go to the newspapers with this but I would rather BA did what was right without me going down that road. Sending to as many contacts that I think my help as possible and on social media.

Me and my wife were traveling to Austin, Texas USA to spend time with our sons. We traveled by your airlines earlier and again this time also Our tickets were booked by your airlines from Hyderabad to Dallas on 13.12.2016. We reached Hyderabad airport only to learn that the Hyderabad - London flight was delayed by an hour and the consequential effect was that we would miss the flight from London to Dallas.

We waited for our turn to obtain boarding passes, to be welcomed by a nice counter officer Mr. **, he explained to us nicely about the delay and the consequential effect of our missing the onward flight. He put forth before us 3 options and asked us to choose the best one, either to travel the next day or travel to Dallas on a bit longer route or alternatively (the best option he advised us) to stay in London that night. That sounded good and we heeded to the best advice given by Mr. **, He further said that the airlines would take care of our stay and food arrangements.

We traveled to London and true to his words the counter staff at Heathrow have made all the arrangements within minutes and made us comfortable. Next day we traveled to our destination without any hassle. This is a unique experience. The counter staff were exemplary in their service, their proactive-ness has made us determine that every time we travel to USA, we will travel by BRITISH AIRWAYS only.

Circumstances beyond my control force me to request a refund on two tickets amounting to $1107.82. These tickets were booked in 11/10/2016. Today is 12/7/2016 and the travel date was 2/21/2017. British Airways refuses to refund the ticket price and tells me they will refund the taxes. The taxes on each ticket are $403.91 for a total of $807.92. Then I'm told no they will NOT refund all taxes because I need to pay for FUEL to used on this flight. A flight my daughter and I will not taken. British Airways had over two months resell the tickets. They are SCAM ARTISTS, THIEVES, AND CHEATS. My daughter and myself have traveled on British Airways for work on many occasions. The future I'll avoid ALL British Airways flights and make sure our employers are aware of BA's ridiculous rules and activities.

We were returning to US by business class from Chennai to Miami by BA 0036. Flight was delayed due to issues with incoming flight. We got no intimation even though all our phone numbers and emails were registered with the airlines. Extremely callus response from BA agents, completely lacking customer service ethos. One wonders if the flights from India are treated differently or if it is a general pathetic ecosystem in BA. I tried BA after 8 years... not again for a long while. Passengers flying to and from India beware! Try a different carrier.

We have only this worst airways available from hyd(IN) - phx(AZ) with one stop in London. We unfortunately have to rely on this airways to make our elderly sick parents for their travel for less number of stops. This airways has always proved cheaters in their services. In spite of so many calls to reminder about the wheelchair service they have not provided the service. My mom is heart patient recently had her surgery. She walked all the way from terminal 3 to 5. In spite my parents requested for help at different information desk and person, no official has given any help. Later on I called to airport and special service for disability OMNI service I got to know request for wheelchair has not been sent to them from airways. This Airways has to be ashamed for service and inconvenience they are providing for passenger after taking high prices for tickets.

I booked flights with BA from London-Kuala Lumpur-Bandar-Kuala Lumpur-London. These were all booked at the same time and they also took the booking, therefore contract, with Royal Brunei Airlines (RBI) for the KL/Bandar/KL legs. For whatever reason RBI cancelled one of the flights, and it was only by accident that I found this out, by going on the BA website. I had to change a flight and waste a day in Brunei. BA have refused all responsibility, even on the lack of communicating the cancelled flight to me. I find this deplorable after booking everything through BA. I would certainly never book anything direct with BA again, as this lack of service by a major carrier to a customer is despicable.

This is the most horrendous, incompetent company on the planet who DOES NOT CARE about their passengers, even frequent fliers. They are nice when things go well but totally unhelpful and provide misleading information when things go wrong. Their terminal 5 is always having technical problems and guess what - it's your problem not theirs that check in desk is not working. And if you are late for your flight NOBODY is going to help you!! They made a mistake by saying that I cannot drop off my bag (I was checked in already) 1 hour before the flight - which is wrong and never admitted their mistake. Please avoid this company as a plague.

I checked in my bag (23 KG) at London airport First class counter on September 18, 2016 at ~8:40 AM (flight at 10:50 AM) since I am a EMERALD member. On receipt of my boarding pass I found that baggage tag was not attached, but the bag was already gone. She could not find baggage tag, but wrote ** at back of boarding pass. On arrival at Washington Dulles airport, my bag was missing, which I reported to BA representative. He had printed report for ** and told me that bag went to wrong belt. I was given claim no, **, and he told me that I would get text on my phone in 1-2 hours. NO TEXT WAS RECEIVED.

I looked up on BA website on September 19 stating that my bag was found and getting ready for delivery. I called BA at ~3:00 PM and was told the same. I called ~7:00 PM, and was told that my bag was missing and new number ** was assigned. I was now really puzzled, and contacted several BA representatives, and eventually was told that there was a bag at London airport without baggage tag. They had opened that bag and asked me to identify some of the items, which I did and it was my bag. I was told that it would be delivered next day. I got text on September 20 evening that my bag would be delivered and was told that they would call me before delivery. I specifically told the person not to call after 10:30 PM.

In the morning on September 21, while going to office, I found bag at front entrance of my house. I was surprised, and picked it up but it was much lighter, and weighed 13 KG, in other words 10 KG items were missing. Missing items were one of my Good Woolen Suit with a Tie, 6 packages of Special Tea, special packages of Indian snacks, several packages of Special Lentils and Cardamom, etc., etc. I called BA representative at Washington Dulles airport on September 21 three times and left messages. Eventually, BA representative called me in the evening and confirmed that no items were taken from my bag at Washington Dulles airport. It was therefore confirmed that BA staff who opened my bag at London airport took items from my bag. BA representative also told me that courier should had called before delivering my bag and she was to look into this matter.

Here are the issues: Bag was not tagged by BA representative, and sent on the belt. Conflicting information provided to me. Amount of time I spent without much help from BA representatives. WHY were items Stolen from my bag? I am a frequent flyer on BA and have Emerald status. BA compensated only 50% for the value of my woolen suit and tie, but did not provide any compensation for the items STOLEN from my bag. MISSING BAG APPEARS TO BE COMMON, AND NOW STEALING ITEMS FROM THE PASSENGER'S BAG... BEWARE BA TRAVELERS!

My daughter checked in for a flight online using her passport the day before her flight Venice to London. When she went to the British Airways (BA) customer service counter to get her seat, they would not give it to her because the ticket only had her first and last name, not her last. The agent tried to call BA and got no one. The agent told her the only option was to buy another ticket and get a refund from BA for the first. When she got home tried to get a refund for over three weeks for her $350.00 ticket, BA told her that there would be no refund. Thanks for nothing BA!

We booked the tickets unknowingly in BA and are trying to assign a paid seat for one of the leg of the journey for last 2 weeks. It throws error online. When the BA call center is called, they put on hold for 30 minutes and tell us to call after 12 hours. This is on going for last 2 weeks. Spoke to call center rep 2 hours ago, one Ms. **, who was so arrogant, was not willing to even transfer the call to supervisor and has no solution. Called twice with my travel agent, jointly had calls with BA. They make us wait for 45 minutes and say ''This is fishy error'' and not sure why it's not allowing to block the payment seat and refuse to support.

This is strange. Why is BA team not able to assign a paid seat to a passenger and not able to solve a technical issue for last 2 weeks? In my last 13 years, I have taken more than 1,000 flights and have ever faced issues like this with any airlines. Either BA is completely insane and arrogant, not willing to support passengers or their technology dept. is outdated, not able to clear the issues. However, never want to flight with BA going forward. The worst guys ever seen.

Booked in emergency a flight for my mom to visit us in Germany. 3 months of emails and mental torture. Spent around 1000 Dollars to BA and UK visa authorities. My mom at the end got sick and couldn't fly. BA staff is either ignorant or they literally ill informed customers. Last week called them to refund ticket, one Lady told me I can get around 150 Dollars back, customer Service told me that for that I have to pay 180 Dollar cancellation fees. Get nothing from 1000 Dollars which I payed back. Please don't fly with BA and never from London. UK Direct Airside Visa is the most horrible Thing which I have ever faced in my life.

While traveling back to United States from Accra, Ghana on Flight BA78, the pilot made an announcement that due to possible insects they must spray the inside of plane with an dissecticide that they claim is not "harmful " to humans. All the times I and husband have traveled, we have never encountered such an incident. The other passengers like us looked shocked.

As soon as the announcement was made, the section before the Economy section was closed off, 4 flight attendants with "Roach Bomb" like aerosol can was opened and this spray they held over their heads walking up and down the aisles smiling. Quickly my husband used his baseball cap to cover his nose and mouth. EVERYTHING WAS MOVING SO QUICKLY! I suffer from asthma and eczema. My husband suffers from Sarcoidosis and Heart Failure. I don't know if there were any pregnant women on board. I don't know if there were other people with any health concerns nor did British Airways.

Later our throats and chest started burning. I did not have my inhaler onboard. Thank GOD I didn't have an attack. Thank GOD my husband didn't have a more serious reaction with his heart. The following day I called our physician to document what occurred and they both said that they have never heard of such a thing. That it was weird and scary. As I write this I am still feeling some of the negative effects. NEVER AGAIN BRITISH AIRWAYS!!!

Let me give you the background first. I am just an ordinary person with no high expectations but I do expect to receive a service that I paid for. BA's first class from LHR to Kuala Lumpur in their much vaunted first class cabin. Poor service even before the flight started. 3 weeks before the flight I tried to book a massage in their exclusive lounge. The reply was "it was full". Really? I wrote again to say how unhappy I was and was told to get a walk-in slot on the day. On the day the only space they had was 40 minutes before departure and I was only offered a massage chair for 15 minutes. Then boarding came and their priority lane was crowded (certainly not an exclusive experience).

On board the seat was ok but nothing special. I'd say the seats are like what you get in business class with some other airlines. No Wifi offered. Toilet (only one for the first class cabin) was no different from what you get in a low cost airline. Cabin crew while ok were very very slow, off the mark and could not anticipate passengers' needs. Entertainment choice was very poor with very little selection. When I arrived in Kuala Lumpur I asked the chief stewardess about Fast track but she could not be bothered to help. She just said "we don't do Fast track". In fact I could go through the priority lane and I figured this out myself.

On the return flight the first class lounge in Kuala Lumpur was excellent, staff very attentive and food was very good but this is a Malaysia Airlines lounge and not BA! Return flight was also very average. Poor service. I slept for a few hours and when I got up I rang the bell. Nobody came. I watched a documentary and had to call again after more than one hour. When the stewardess came I asked if I could order breakfast. Her reply was "of course but we start serving from the other side". Am I supposed to know that when the whole concept of flying first class is dining on demand???

To summarise the best experience of this trip was in the lounge in Kuala Lumpur which is not even BA as it is a Malaysia Airlines lounge!!! BA should know that people pay for first class for the whole service and experience and not just to have a flat bed in a cabin with nice cutlery. BA's much publicised First Class in their 787-9 is a major disappointment and is light years behind the La Première service and experience with Air France. It is definitely not worth the money.

I am writing to you because you're a serial entrepreneur with very strong understanding of organizational culture and I believe an organizational culture is a top down process. By the way I am neither a BA employee nor a social activist. I am a small time entrepreneur in Boston, MA in Healthcare IT sector. I am writing to you not to complain, but hoping that this letter will help you in building a better organizational culture in British Airways.

I live in Boston, due to my business and family connection in India, I frequently travel to India. Past six years, except for couple of times, I have been using British Airways to fly to India. Honestly not because of service, but for the connectivity and time convenience. But after my return trip on August 8, 2016 on BA flight BA-256 from Delhi to London, I no more desire to travel by British Airways. Again, I do not want to talk about my experience on this flight as I have no intention of complaining. But want to make you aware of certain organizational culture and behavioral improvement needed by your staffs in London to India sector.

Every time I fly from Delhi to London, I find those grumpy faces, rude behavior which can be duly classified as racial discrimination from BA flight attendants. Few times I thought that might be because of the long travel and inadequate rests for the flight attendants. But that cannot be true every time. There is an Indian proverb which translated to English would be 'One can eat bitter food, but cannot swallow bitter words'. Both you and I are in service industry, you're in Aviation and I am in Healthcare, though I am a small startup and you're a billion dollar company, we both serve people. Every penny we earn because of people's willingness to spend that money on us, not because they do not have any other choice. Irrespective of their color, race, religion and food habit, they put their faith on us and give their business to us and it is important for us to respect that.

It is true that flights from London to US are always pleasant and the flight attendants are very helpful, always smiling. But on the contrary, BA flights from India to London always lacks quality food and service, grumpy and unapproachable attendants with 18th century British colonial mindset. For curiosity, I checked on Twitter and Facebook for British Airways + Racist and I could find thousands of post in social media for racist behavior of British Airways. So I am not alone.

Please note that India is growing faster than any other country, and India now have more millionaire than Great Britain. India now have more entrepreneurs and C level executives than Great Britain. India is a huge market and I am sure British Airways would not want to lose on that.

The new millennials from India wants respect and they know how utilize the powerful tool like social media to take their voices to public. So unless British Airways want to lose out to competition, this arrogance needs to change before it is too late. I could have sent this email to online customer suggestions in BA website, but that would not have changed anything. If anything needs to change, it needs to be a top down approach. Last summer, when I visited India with another family friend, he insisted that I travel in Emirates for once and I did. I could definitely see the difference in service and crew behavior on flight from Dubai to Delhi and Delhi to Dubai. So for me, after this flight experience on British Airways, I know my choice will be for my future flights to India.

Lastly, you being a busy executive, I am not expecting any response to this email. Moreover I do not know whether this email will reach you or your secretary will gracefully delete it. But if you read this, hope you'll try to bring some changes. Otherwise more Indian will stand up and unlike me, they will take the path of social media which will be damaging for British Airways.

BA managed to lose our bags on the journey out to Sicily and on the way back! Going out, 1 hour queue just to drop our bags off as we had checked in online (only 1 counter open for all BA flights), had to run to other end of airport through security just to get the flight, good thing we were there 2 hours beforehand. Got to Sicily, online tracker didn't work or wasn't updated, customer care just cut us off with 'we are busy, call back later', had to return to Catania airport every day for 5 days (driving & parking in Catania is a nightmare).

Twitter replies only set us to the online tracker and aforementioned customer service. Got back lost bag again! Reply from BA? "Sorry, but you agreed to our terms and conditions when you booked." I thought I was dealing with a reputable company, how wrong was I. Doesn't say in the terms and conditions that they reserve the right to lose your luggage for 5 days and give you no means of tracking it. If they lose your luggage, you are on your own, find it yourself!

And it causes a chaos. Everyone is used to flights being constantly delayed in Gatwick, however one flying business class (at least that's what they call the economy seats front row with a "better service") or with a Silver/Gold tier expects to wait in a BA lounge sipping a cocktail waiting for another belated boarding. Guess what- BA does not have a lounge now, instead they are using nr1 lounge subject to capacity. And when 5 flights are delayed, guess what happens- no capacity even for business class passengers. Does BA ground staff care about it? The "computer says no" attitude prevails together with the usual BA familiarities and sorry that means nothing. Try to be more professional and show some respect, time to grow up! Now the customer service is non existent and no one cares about anything. If I want no frills I fly EasyJet.

British Airways Company Profile