1.58/5
  • 1 star
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 28, 2017

294 British Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

NEVER fly British Airways. I was traveling for business on a tight schedule and missed a flight (and important meeting) because of a malfunction with THEIR software and personnel staffing. The BA check-in app was not working for more than 24 hours so I had to manually check-in at the airport. I arrived with plenty of time but there was a huge line (because of the app malfunction) and ultimately they closed the gate before multiple passengers were able to board. Not only did I therefore miss my meeting, but they forced ME to pay an enormous change fee that was MORE than the original cost of the ticket!!! Shocking and something I've never experienced on any other airline.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I would not want to fly British Airways again. For one thing the seats are way too tight in economy and not enough leg room. The food is not good nor is there a good selection. I was on a nonstop from LAX to London and they gave us the main meal about an hour into the flight and junk halfway during the flight and a hot pocket type pizza an hour or so before landing. Yuck!! I saw people going up to the cabin steward's area wanting something to eat including me. All I can say is junk food! The snack included potato chips, they call crisps, stale popcorn and a candy bar. How about a sandwich for God's sake? Something healthier than junk??? And that hot pocket pizza gave me heartburn.

To be stuck on a flight that long with junk food, it's horrible. And there was no other choice. No food for purchase. I would have gladly paid for a good sandwich that other airlines offer for a price. Now, New Zealand I've flown and they have an awesome menu and they also have more leg room and more amenities in economy. I will try and book with them next overseas flight until British Airways improve their passenger comforts.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have flown BA many times to the UK to visit my daughter and her family. They have always shown exemplary customer service. I don't know if I would fly another airline across the Atlantic.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We bought 3 airplane tickets to Thailand from a company from Romania and the tickets were issued by BA. After a couple of weeks we got a message that one of our flights was canceled, BA6195. We had two options after that, either we rebook for other flights (those flights were with very long stops in between so we couldn't accept them) or to get a refund. We asked for a refund, so they said that we will get an answer from BA in 4 weeks. After 8 weeks we got the message that BA has denied the refund and we want to understand why? On the website it said clear that if a flight is canceled we do have the option to get a full refund. Also, for the booking reference: ** it said that we have rebooked our flight which we DID NOT.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I booked 2 seats Toronto to London in Aug for travel in Nov. One of my daughters has a severe cashew nut allergy. Another family member who arrived from London to Toronto 3 days after I made my reservation advised me that the in flight meal was a chicken curry of sorts with whole cashew nuts. Since my daughter has a very strong reaction to vapors from any meal containing cashews, I called BA and asked for a refund or a credit or a voucher for one of the 2 tickets. This was 3 months before the departure date. At first they carried on about peanut allergies. Which meant they did not read or understand my concern.

Then I was told full penalties and BA fees apply which total 650+CAD and that BA does not consider vapors from food a risk to people with allergies, and hot in flight meals with tree nuts will continue to be served. I have since sent them several emails and information about allergic reactions to steam and vapor from nut containing foods but they have simply responded over and over again telling me a full refund cannot be given, and the penalties cannot be reduced as it wouldn't be fair to other passengers.

I have booked a flight with AC and stand to lose more than 600 dollars on my BA flight. The most troubling thing is that BA does not seem to care that a child or anyone else could have a life threatening or fatal reaction 1000s of feet up in the air, saying the passenger should carry an **. That will not save a life on a 7+ hour flight, as the person needs to be taken to a hospital asap. I am unable to reach anyone other than the same customer service department which may be located in India.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

In June 2017 I flew British Airways on a long haul flight to South Africa, my purchased seat was in coach. However during check in I decided to purchase a better seat with more legroom, or at least that what was represented on the plane seat diagram from BA. When I got on the flight they had a different seat configuration and my seat was just like any other coach seat. I brought this to the attention of the flight attendant and they agreed that this happens all the time and not sure why BA has not changed the seat diagram for the flight. The attendant assured me that I would be refunded but when I got off the plane and when I wrote BA to make my claim to BA said that they would not refund me and that the seat I purchased is the one that I actually got. I tried to fight this with my credit card company to no success so I decided to write this review and warn other travelers. I basically spend $230 for the two of use for absolutely nothing.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

When arrived at Heathrow from Istanbul I left some gifts on the plane. I let the staff know and they told me to go and collect it from the collection desk once went through the passport control. On the collection desk I could see my bag behind the office and the guy after see what on the bag keep saying the bag did arrived. After lots of attempts from me to get my gifts back which were 2 small bottle of very expensive Turkish wine, collection desk guy said that my wine got lost and nothing he could do to come back the next day even if they were there behind him. I call and made complaints but no one actually did anything and the guy kept my wine for himself. They do know what they can get away with and they use it for their our advantage and keep customer's belonging if they want to. Not a nice experience and very disappointed that they can steal what they want with no consequences.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I bought British Airways ticket for my family to Texas. While purchasing the ticket the British Airways attendant who sold the ticket stated that my daughter's ticket will be changed to infant and on seat for the return trip. She gave us a number to call prior to our return so they can ensure it is done. My wife gave birth and we called the number severally, the customer care directed us to American Airline, we called American Airline, the representative said we should speak to British Airways. Then my wife called British Airway helpline again. When nothing was done she went to El Paso Airport but no British Airways customer care office. So she kept on calling British Airways helplines (US and UK). I went to the Lagos Airport office and they said they cannot get it done, that I should call a number. I wasted my airtime. When I got angry they fixed it and gave me another ticket for my daughter.

Unknown that this was just the beginning of poor customer service. My wife called the US office to book our newborn on her ticket so she can fly, after several delays they did and told her to call back in 48 hrs. She called back and they posted her to call back again, she called back the following day and same thing happened but she insisted that they must tell her the fare price for the newborn so she can pay before the travel date. After the struggle the customer representative gave her a fair price and said she has to go to Dallas airport to pay, that they do not accept payment online or via phone call. So British Airways expects my wife and newborn to travel 11 hrs on road from El Paso to Dallas just to pay?

I tried paying from Lagos, they did not accept. I called all British Airways helpline. I got but same story, until I argued on phone with one of their customer representative, who then went to the manager to find a solution and said that he will make another booking and give me a fair price but I will pay in Naira at any GTBank. He did it and I immediately went to a GTBank to pay. I got the ticket in 24 hrs and forwarded the mail to my wife. On getting to the airport, the attendant said she cannot find any of our flight details on their system and delayed my family till they missed their flight. Now British Airways say we should pay $2500. Who does this?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My mother checked in the bag in Hyd airport. Bagged tag number has different last name and different flight number. She did not receive the bag. When we contacted customer service they told they are tracing the bag and after 21 days they said that I can claim for the bag. After 21 days when I contacted again for the claim they denied my claim saying that we received the bag. It was totally mistake of a British Airways person who has given the bag tag number in hyd. Bad way of treating customer.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I paid an extra $100 for an upgrade to a seat with more legroom. However, my seat was not any different than other economy seats. When I complained in the plane, they acknowledged that I have paid extra but told me that the flight is completely booked and there is nothing they can do about it. And to contact BA. After holding in line for 30 min, an agent told me to fill out a form with BA online. I did. Nothing. A month later after waiting for 30 min, another agent tells me I have to call between 9-1 eastern time and talk to customer relations. Terrible service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I am an Indian citizen and I had booked a flight for two of us on British Airways.com for a return trip from Amsterdam to Bangalore via UK to Mumbai. Once I booked the ticket I had made a point that I called the British Airways customer care (+91-124-4120715) on Wednesday, August 2, 2017, around 12:25:12 PM and spoke to the personnel.

When we reached the Amsterdam Airport, we were denied boarding. I was very sure that the BA personnel at the airport might have some confusion regarding their regulations as I was very sure that I'd be allowed after the conversation what I had earlier with the BA helpline. There were lots of confirmations made within the team at the airport, I explained to them that I already had spoken with BA helpline and that should be clear. I requested them to call the immigration office and Immigration office personnel said we CANNOT board the flight as we have a Schengen C VISA and not D category VISA. (these terminologies were new for us).

We were really blank at that point of time, not knowing what to do. I requested BA if they can change our flight but NO. ALL the flights travel via UK and we cannot take any of them. They suggested us to take Emirates flight for the night, I asked if they can transfer the booking, but NO again. They cannot do it. The Emirates flight costed us 1.3 lac for two of us.

We were clueless there standing for an hour, they gave me the number to directly contact the BA but I cannot make a call as I did not have the SIM card nor I can book the next flight as I really had no money in my account since that was the last day of vacation. No hotel booking to stay overnight. It made no point standing at the airport and staring at the counters but also did not have money to travel back to the hotel (as that was the last day for OV Chipkaart). We somehow managed to call my brother and sister to arrange some money for us so that we can go back and think of what can be done.

We stayed near the train station for almost two hours and waiting for a message that money was deposited. But this experience made us forget all the good days we had. The last day ruined our vacation when we were really tired and wanted to go home. We finally took next day’s flight back to India. It took me a day to come back and loads of frustration to write this email. I REQUEST British Airways to refund our ticket prices and hotel stay prices ASAP as I have to pay back the credit I had taken for my new tickets.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

British Airways mislead me and it cost me over $3k just to get my family home from the UK after they cancelled my return flights due to THEIR error. Our new flight home (which cost me $3k) was cancelled due to Hurricane Harvey in Houston Texas (where I live) and they had NO flights to get us home for the foreseeable future. The man helping me said he could book us to Austin (3.5 hours away from Houston) and then BA would pay for our rental car cost to drive home. We did just that, and guess what? They denied reimbursement for our rental car. In total, I spent 8 hours on the phone with BA (during my vacation) and spent a total of $4,250, when it should have cost me $1200 (which was the cost of my original round trip tickets.) I am DISGUSTED with them and will never in my life fly BA again. I hope they go bankrupt for the way they treat their customers.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have flown many airlines - KLM (the best), Air France, American Airlines and others. I recently flew British Airways and I must say it was the worst experience of my life. My items were stolen - I mean stolen and I have taken more than 2 months asking BA to look into the matter but to no avail. Here is the last communication I got from them:

“Thanks for your recent email providing us with your credit card statement with your delayed baggage purchases. Once again I'd like to apologize your baggage was delayed when you flew with us. Unfortunately, the items you're claiming for are items which we would not reimburse our passengers for. It states in our General Conditions of Carriage we advise not to carry any jewelry in your checked in baggage. I've included a link to this below, it appears under section 8. **. Thanks again for contacting us about the experience you had. We value your feedback and we certainly value your insight. I hope we can welcome you back on board again soon. If you have any other issues please don't hesitate to contact me using the blue link below.”

Please do not fly this airline. Apparently they employ people who steal and would not negotiate or compensate you when their baggage handlers steal from you. I have been flying for almost 10 years and this June was the first time my items were vandalized and stolen! And BA would not acknowledge the theft. Please do not fly this airline, they are not responsible.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This time they were nice and courteous. But I wish they would allow us to bring soy milk on flight. Had no problems this time and most likely I will go with them again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I just bought a ticket from BA through Expedia. Of course to do that I answered all their questions. To take money - no problem. Then I decided to call BA to make the seat assignment. After I waited for 48 minutes on hold I was told that my booking was not updated with necessary information and a representative could not do the seat assignment. While I may appreciate their security concern I really do not understand why these concerns have not made it through their partnership with Expedia. If BA was OK to take our monies from Expedia, why they have not asked Expedia to record all necessary info? And if they haven't, why they were enforcing it over the phone?

The funny part - while I was on hold with BA for 48 minutes I tried to go and add some info to my booking, guess what - their site was crashing every time I tried.

Catch 22? I asked the rep to put his manager on the line, of course I was given the same 'we do not care, we have rules, it is not our problems' answers. Well, from my point of view they were your issues and they were your problems.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Flew business class Dublin to LHR return and first class LHR to Kuala Lumpur return last year. A truly miserable experience from the word go. Business class seats were only the same as economy but with middle seat blocked. Only ham on the way out so I had no lunch. Ordered kosher meal for return flight and was fed a slob of a vile fish dinner. First class experience was pathetic. I have had better service from cabin crew with Ryanair.

Actually on the way back my call to order breakfast was not even answered. Called again after over an hour to order breakfast only to be told by a stewardess that they served from the other side! Why do I need to know which side they serve from when it was supposed to be dining on demand??? British Airways first class on board the 787-9 Dreamliner was a nightmare. A complete and utter waste of money. Complaint was followed up by a phone call and nothing more. No compensation and no gestures. British Airways should not bother to advertise first class service as they certainly don't know what that means. I could go on and on but I think I will stop here. Truly awful.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Flew LA-London return. Seats were very cramped and very hard on lower back. Food was poor especially the breakfast which was inedible. Was very disappointed by the whole trip. Staff at Heathrow were rude as we didn't understand the self baggage system but the folks on the plane were great.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

British Air fails miserably when it comes to accountability. They sub-contract at their discretion with other airlines then FAIL to stand by their responsibility to ensure their contractors perform. My family including 4 young children got pawned off by BA to Iberia for a return flight. We were rerouted to Boston (from New York). We spent an (illegal) 5 hours on the tarmac with the roof of the plane leaking then another hour in the airport as Iberia staff tried to pretend they were invisible. They said that they had no vouchers, transportation, or places to stay. They lied (twice) about reimbursing ground transportation that we found ourselves. The first British Air rep. I spoke to also said that they would cover the $680 taxi fare after Iberia shirked responsibility, but their claims system later declined. Caveat emptor! This is not a trustworthy company!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Love British Airways, I trust them. They have one of the best records, the help is well trained and they have some of the best pilots in the world; altogether a very satisfying experience whenever I have flown with them. Highly recommended.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

The items on the menu, many were not available. The points system you have earned they take most or all of it away depending on the type and class of flight. This boils down to outright fault.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I was thrilled flying with British Airways. The seating areas were very clean and the service was exceptional. When I asked for something, or needed something I did not have to wait. Honestly, starting with the check in to landing at my destination, I have no complaints.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I had a very bad experience yesterday when I flew from Chennai to Toronto by BA36 and BA93 aircraft with my family on 29th August 2017. After, 90 minutes of waiting at the immigration for the formalities, then came to the check in baggage collection area, where I couldn't locate one of my baggages. After searching for an hour, I proceeded to the British Airways counter which was empty. No one was there to help me and some other passengers who flew with me with the same issue as well. We were told to wait for the staff by one of the airport staff, we again waited for an hour but no one showed up.

The other Airline counter staff (Iceland Air) felt sorry for us and tried to help us. They asked us to leave the arrival area and go to the departure area to find one of the British Airways counter Staff to help us. We reached the departure area British Airways Counter and asked for help from Ms. **, we were surprised by the attitude of her, who told us that it was not her responsibility and failed to accept the fact that there was no British Airways staff at their arrival area counter. At last she took the complaint after repeated requests. I failed to understand why the British Airlines Counter did not have any staff to help customers while every other airlines had some one to help their valued customers.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I was shocked today to find that although am flying in 24 hours with my wife back home to the UK. That British Airways for the first time ever, placed us on opposite sides of the plane plan. As in one in the back and other in the front of the plane etc. My experience of flying even with cheapest airlines that if passengers are flying together from the same party, let alone being couple, the airline do their best to place them next to each other or as close as possible. Otherwise where is the joy of flying together.

When I called British Airways, customer care (so they say), the unhelpful agent said if I didn't buy my seat, then they can place us anywhere they have available. So I said I have no problem being placed anywhere as long as together, he said if you don't buy the seat that is not possible. Am shocked. Is it a normal practice now, that on top of paying for the flight ticket on British Airways, that to fly in dignity I have to pay extra for the seat too? What else?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Thanks for a total disaster at check-in (LHR - through complete lack of immigration knowledge among BA employees ref; RSA transit). At London Heathrow, at one point, we were told we might not be able to fly as we were lacking paperwork that wasn't even needed. We were kept waiting around for all sorts of BA staff who had no idea about RSA airport 'in transit' rules, to make a decision. It was all totally unnecessary! Then there has been total flight delays chaos. This has then led to a lack of connecting flight (even though delay was BA's fault). Due to not having a visa for RSA, leaving the airport to stay at a hotel overnight and reentering the airport poses a risk and causing all kinds of problems.

BA have managed to lose a key piece of luggage too. Now expecting further 24-48hr delay to catch next flight as planes are apparently fully booked. British Airways employees had/have no idea what's happening at LHR or RSA airports and my 2 children are very tired and stressed as a result. Shambolic customer service at LHR and RSA airports. We will never use BA again! I don't think BA have done anything right so far.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Missed flight because of last-minute gate change. Printed our boarding cards at airport at 8:00 am. Waited at gate 6. At 9:37 am found nearest BA gate to be told flight closed, aircraft still there BTW. We never heard the announcement nor our names called, which is a bit strange. We were told repeatedly our fault. We did nothing wrong. "Must buy new tickets, go away, can't help you, you have cheap ticket..." Very hurtful to be treated so callously by a legacy carrier. Sad. "Well 120 people made it except you!" "Your fault, not our responsibility." Curious... If our tickets had been more expensive would we have been treated differently? Purchased our tickets on 12 NOV 2016 and were looking forward to our flight. Needless to say, totally miserable and expensive day: New tickets, new transfers at LGW and missed a London pre-paid evening. I request a full refund and I hold responsible for this horrible day which could have been avoided.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My daughter changed her flight Denver to Glasgow April to 3 days earlier. $157 the day before she went to check in and it says she wasn't on flight. She called and they said due to a system error the payment didn't go through. They sorted it. When statement came in she'd been charged $198. I have been trying to get this sorted since May. Last week their rep Baxter promised me he would call or email me. I'm still waiting. My daughter sent them an email and they're saying when she called and was told it was originally their fault and a system error. Seemingly she was told it was $198 and they're refusing to give a refund. My daughter doesn't recall this conversation at time. She was worried she wasn't getting on flight. She spends 3k a year. 24 year old student. Shame on you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My baggages are delayed and received those after 3 days but some of the contents are missing from one luggage in which I kept some costly items like Google Daydream VR, bluetooth headset, etc. Also they have taken chocolates which I was bringing for children. I have opened a case but not received any call or reply till now. Very worst experience I had with this airline.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Traveling with two kids, 2 bags missing, issue reported at the TLV airport on June 14th, 2017 under **, four customer relations cases opened **. One bag returned on June 15th, the second bag returned on July 17th, 33 days later. Missing content, broken luggage and there's no way to contact BA. Also, no intentions to pay compensation. When you call Customer Relations, they won't answer, there is a message that says that "they is a very high volume of calls" and redirect you to the website. Once you open a case in the website, you will never receive an answer from British Airways.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I was traveling last 4th July from Geneva to JFK New York, through London Heathrow. My trip from Geneva to London Heathrow was normal without any problem, except that I was not assigned a seat number for my flight from London to New York. And a lady from British Airways in Geneva, told me that she will call London and they will assign me a number at my arrival at London. When I arrived to London Airport, I had to change my terminal, and pass a quite long security checks, and then went to the British Customer Service in Terminal 5 I think, to request a seat number, after waiting a long time, because there was a lot of people waiting their turn.

I got a new boarding ticket with a seat number. The BA employee, looked at his watch, and told me to walk quickly to the terminal B42 for boarding. Which I did, but the distance was long and when I made it there, a lady refused to let me in, and said it is too late to board, and asked me to check that with the customer service. I went to the customer service again, and found there a very rude employee who didn't want to help or even to listen to me, and asked me to buy a one way ticket for tomorrow, which would have cost more than 1000 pounds, and when I refused because it exceed the price of my total original ticket, he told me this is all what he can do for me, and that I am responsible of myself in the airport.

A security guard tried to help me and intervened, but he got a same reply from this rude employee. I decided to return to the customer service where I got the seat number, and there at least I met a wonderful lady who tried to help me, but asked me to pay 270$ to change the date of my booking for tomorrow 5th July with American Airlines. I checked out my luggage and waited a long time to get it from the luggage service in London Heathrow. Beside that I had to pass the night in London, and had to pay the hotel, taxis, to and from the airport, and restaurants there. Apart from a lady working with British Airways in the Customer service, I got no help from this company at all.

I didn't do any mistake, I was on time in Geneva Airport, and walked quickly to reach my flight in Heathrow Airport, but the fact that I had to wait a long time to get a seat number in London and the long security checks and the change of terminals, were the cause of my last horrible journey. Now, I request BA to refund me all my expenses resulting from my horrible journey, because they didn't assign me a seat number in Geneva, and caused my delay, as I had to wait for a long time before getting my seat number, and then lost time and was unable to catch my flight to New York. For a people transiting with BA, through Heathrow airport, think twice... My flight reference is: **.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Today (Tuesday 4.7.17), I found I needed to change a travel date from Fri (7th) to Thurs (6th). I attempted to do this on BA's "Manage My Booking" for about 2 hours and, although I selected 4 different flight times, each time I thought my booking change was completed (at an extra cost of 156-199 + seat costs), I was told that my changed flights were fully booked, even though my booking included purchase of seats shown as available (quite a few). So. I contacted BA's Customer Services by phone and waited for about 20 minutes for an agent who, after saying hello and providing his name, promptly lost me. So, another 20 minutes later, I spoke to another (very caring and helpful) BA agent and she told me the only available flight changes would cost me almost +500 onto my 218 ticket!!! I could have booked a new return ticket for a lot less!!!

Is it surprising that I am HUGELY unimpressed by 3 things 1. the additional charge by BA when all the work is by me and on-line and BA can re-sell my Friday flight; 2. the time I spent going around in circles, online, to end up with nothing and having to phone Customer Services; and 3. the time it takes to get through to Customer Services who, clearly, are insufficiently staffed, over-worked and with limited capacity to really help. BA - you are in serious need of a makeover and self-examination to have customers, such as I, consider using you again and not tell everyone to avoid you and write reviews such as this.

British Airways Company Information