1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

340 British Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Overcharging customers with all kind of excuses for extra weight right at the airport. Delays. Lost of luggage And more... We had horrible experience by British Airways flying before from Vancouver Canada to Norway before. Our daughter lives in Oslo and we fly at least once a year to Oslo. Last year we decided to never fly British Airways again and never buy their horrible cars as we have owned all kind of them. Anyway, my wife was travelling to Oslo this year again and this time we bought a ticket from FinAir only realizing at the Vancouver Airport that we have been cheated as FinAir is operated by British Airways too.

Firstly my wife was charged $300 for extra weight at the airport with all kind of excuses. Secondly, she arrives on time at the worst European airport called Heathrow but due to the emptiness of the flight to Oslo they cancel her flight and postpone it by 3 hours. Realizing that her luggage are lost for the second time in a year by British Airways! Are you due to travel anywhere in the world, fly any other airlines but definitely avoid British Airways and their cars or perhaps anything British for peace of mind?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My husband and I flew on British Airways flight BA-228 from Baltimore to London Heathrow leaving on the 12th February 2019. Every aspect of the flight was poorer than what any of the low budget airlines have to offer. The plane itself was shabby and dated. The seat reclining facility did not operate properly, was not that comfortable, and we had less legroom than the equivalent with budget airlines. The touch screen TV monitor was not working properly. One earbud on the headphones did not work. The audio socket was too loose for the headphones so the plug kept falling out making it difficult to enjoy the in-flight entertainment (which in itself had a dated choice). The pillow was disgusting and kept falling out of the flimsy cover. The air conditioning lacked consistency alternating between very hot and very cold air. The restroom occupied sign always lit up as vacant even if it was occupied.

However what made the flight very unpleasant was the bad attitude of the cabin crew. They were abrupt, unfriendly and quite clearly did not want to be there. There was one exception, an extremely pleasant older crew member who greeted us on and off the flight. There did not appear to be any organisation or smooth coordination when distributing the meals. Our two trays of food were placed on top of each other and practically thrown at us by a sour faced crew member.

This flight was one hour late making us nervous about catching our connecting flight. There was no information or instructions given to us about connecting flight gate numbers before we landed. Unlike all the other airlines that I have traveled with there were no staff member greeting the connecting customers to point them in the right direction or reassure them. British Airways would be my last choice of an airline to travel with and I would only fly with them again if there was no other option.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I would request you all please avoid flying with British Airways. It's not like how it looks like, seats are not comfortable at all, cushions are ripped and moreover the crew is so arrogant and ill-mannered.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Of the last 50 long haul return air journeys I made in the past 52 years I regretted opting for the first time this World's Least Favourite Airline this time round. On my onward journey I lost £75 worth of five perfume gift bottles - all well known brands - because they were just over 100ml! I felt disgusted with this Budget Airline - not worth calling it British Airways - I warn other would be passengers never ever fly by this airline. The "cattle class" is worse than even for cattles to travel, the food was tasteless and passengers were supposed to eat it in dimmed light, where you don't see the food that was served. I took one bite and asked the overweight and middle aged lady cabin staff to take that away. I did not bother to eat breakfast thereafter.

On my return journey, I had to pay extra £65 because check-in staff thought my cattle class baggage was two inches long! So you can see I paid or incurred losses of £75+£65 = £140 although I was well under 23kg or whatever this Budget Airline had allowed me the baggage allowance [my baggage weighed 18kg]. I will never fly by this world's least favourite Budget Airline or was it British Airways? in the future. This airline deserves no star, but I was too generous to give it one star.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I wanted to do two things: Change my email address on my account. Book a flight for someone else with my Avios. Guess what, none of that was possible online. So I called them and after waiting more than TWO hours (not exaggerating) and being connected to THREE different persons (based in India or Pakistan I assume regarding their accent), they told me they can't change my email address, I have to submit a special form. Well, THREE hours altogether to make a booking which should be doable online in five minutes. And, they were complaining that they have too many phone calls. No way!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Airways?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had my round trip tickets in BA business class. During my outbound journey, the entertainment system didn't work at all for a long haul flight of more than 13 hours. During my inbound journey, I was stranded in Mumbai for straight two days or 48 hours earlier this month. First, I missed a connection to London due to bad weather merely by 15 minutes. They had rebooked me on the next day flight, which was also canceled due to technical issue. The BA airport staff or customer service didn't even bother to offer a hotel stay during these two nights. Extremely terrible experience and frustrated throughout the journey. My family would never fly again with BA nor I'd recommend it to any of my friends and relatives.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Poor service, rude staff and just outright dishonest! British Airways is the worst airline that I have ever encountered. They canceled flights at the last minute, did not honor pre-paid seat upgrades and extremely rude. Not to mention, they would not refund any money! Travelers, do your research! There are far better options out there. We will never fly British Airways again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Don't even waste your time with this horrible airline! They lost my luggage while traveling to a 7 day cruise and they are incompetent! The luggage has still not been found and may never be found! I hope when choosing airlines, use someone else! Their customer service for lost luggage is located in India and they ARE VERY RUDE, and hung up on us several times. When asking for a supervisor, several of the call takes advised they have NO supervisor! Good luck if you try this airline, I will chose someone else when BA is an option!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I frequently rent cars around the world, and I recently booked a car through the British Airways website to be picked up and returned to Fiumicino Airport. When I collected the car at the airport, I also took on the additional protection to remove the excess. On finishing the rental, I had the unpleasant surprise of an extra charge of 84 Euros for "location services" and an extra 14 euros for "road taxes". This is although I was collecting and returning exactly where my voucher stated.

The Customer Relation from British Airways was incredibly unhelpful and stated that this extra charge was due to the fact that I took "optional extra" and that Avis charges these as a percentage. They refused to accept any responsibility on the fare they advertised on their website (stating it included location rental) and on the fact that these hidden charges were not mentioned anywhere in the contract.

When I asked to talk to one of the manager they did not send me any details and said I should contact the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) for an independent decision, but recognized that "the scope of the adjudication scheme is limited and it could be that your complaint falls outside of it." I am writing this review to really inform customers NOT to book cars via the BA website as the fares you will pay are not the final ones.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I rate THIS REVIEW -5*. Our flight Phoenix-London 6th November 2018. Premier Economy on a 747-400 pre 2005. Old seats, rubbish food, entertainment, AC, and light systems broken all night. Freezing cold. Dirty toilets. No sleep. Over 2 hour delay before flight, crew was very late. On arrival at Heathrow we had to stay on a slip road for 30 minutes waiting for a parking space. Group boarding at Phoenix was out of control, customers jumping the queue, no control by BA staff. Customers with mobility problems (please be assured that I have nothing against people with genuine mobility problems) but I did notice that at Phoenix departure lounge there was at least 12 wheelchair customers with friends/families and 1 young person with a walking stick and family/friends boarding first. I now at least know why when we board the overhead lockers are almost full.

I thought that customers with mobility problems have to show a certificate to receive the free mobility service, however BA tell me they do not need proof that a person is disabled, so anyone who says they are disabled can use the free service from departure lounge to the departure gate and then onto the aircraft with their friends/families. WOW!! Anyway, I had the right to complain to BA and they had the cheek to offer us 5000 Avios each, that's about 50£ each for 10 hours no sleep, freezing cold, tatty aircraft, no entertainment. It won`t make difference to BA if we use another airline in the future, its all about supply and demand. Our loyalty to BA for many years is not worth a light.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

8 times now e-mailing BA to try to resolve an issue with no response! For a company like this it's disgusting, that they are happy to take your money and then when things go wrong they want nothing to do with you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I booked Tickets from Sydney to Hong Kong and on to London and return for five adults. The first leg was on Cathay Pacific. I booked the seats straight away at no extra costs. When I tried to book seats on British Airways there was cost of approximately $AU100 per person per journey total cost of $AU1000, or you could take potluck 24 hours before the flight. Also the outward journey allowed 30 kg per person checked I luggage but the return journey only allowed 23 kg. Anybody thinking of booking flights from Australia on British Airways should take these costs and restrictions onto account most other airline have no seat allocation charges and allow 30 kgs of baggage. I will not be caught by British Airways again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Today I had a terrible experience with British Airways. My family (my wife and 8-year old son) was not allowed to check in to a British Airways flight scheduled from Brussels (Belgium) to Heathrow (UK) this morning. It’s the first leg of their journey, followed by a connecting British Airways flight from Heathrow to Bangalore, India (their final destination).

The issue was whether my family would need a transit visa for layover of 2 hours at the London Heathrow airport without changing the terminal (Terminal 5). The lady at the British Airways Check-In assistance desk at Brussels airport kept arguing that we must have a transit visa to pass through UK Border control. I tried to convince her that my family wouldn’t need to cross border control since they wouldn’t need to change terminal/airport. In addition, my family had valid US visas on their passports and valid resident permits from an EEA country (the plastic cards with chip issued by Belgium authority/commune). This means my family is exempted of a transit visa and wouldn’t need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) or a Visitor in Transit visa.

But the lady at the British Airways Check-in desk failed to understand this. Instead she was forcing us to buy another airlines ticket from an adjacent counter. After much persuasion, the lady at the British Airways Check-in desk agreed to check in my wife but denied check-in for my son. This was because my wife had a valid resident permit card (plastic card) with a chip while my son had his valid resident permit in paper format (issued by the Belgian commune and legally accepted everywhere) and not in plastic with a chip. For me, it was very strange.

I was very much aware of the visa guidelines as outlined by www.Gov.UK and therefore I tried to explain the same to the lady at the British Airways check-in assistance desk at Brussels airport. But it was in vain as she or her duty manager did not allow my family to check in at the end. British Airways is simply playing patriotic with an excuse from a country (UK) that does not know which side they belong to. It may be legally acceptable, but morally it isn’t for any international traveler. I don’t know how long British Airways would be able to sustain with this kind of unfriendly attitude. Today I went through a loss of around 1400 euros (worth of ticket), mental peace, and had to go through a lot of stress, agony and frustration. I wish no international traveler should go through this ever. I demand a compensation from British Airways in form of refund for the tickets.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

On Nov. 25, 2018, I tried to check in the return flight online. Somehow, it would not allow me. When I arrived LHR and try to check in. It was 12pm. The computer told me the check in was closed. I was directed to another counter. The lady told me that they have sold my ticket to someone else because I was 10 minutes late to check in. I was very frustrated since I had plenty time to go thru the security to check in. I tried to talk with her. She was cold and frankly told me that she could not help me because the flight was oversold. And they have sold my ticket to someone else. When I asked her name, she told me her name was "Holly" and she did not have a last name. She was quite rude. Then when I tried to change to another flight, they charged me $2462 Plus $250 change fee to take same day flight to San Francisco. I think it was very unfair to charge so much.

First they sold my SJC ticket to someone else just because I was 10 minutes late to check in. Then they charged me $2896.90 to change to another flight. In addition, the customer service lady was rude and unprofessional in my opinion. If same thing happened in America, the airline usually change the customer to another flight with a small fee. American Airlines will not charge three times as much as my original ticket price. My original round way ticket only cost me $943.01. I think it is very unreasonable to British Airways to charge so much for a flight change. If I don't get this issue resolved, I plan to post this to my Facebook and contact my local TV station to warn people not taking British Airways.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Flight 6219, Nov.2, Heathrow to Vancouver: We left the gate, then as our old 747 taxied, it came to a stop. We thought it was in a line-up to get on the runway. After a while the pilot announced that there was a mechanical problem. The cabin became filled with the smell of jet fumes, there was no air conditioning and we were uncomfortably warm. The pilot announced that the auxiliary power unit died and they could not restart the engines. They sent two fire trucks over to try to give us some ventilation. There was another announcement they will try to get a starter cart from Gatwick. We were left locked in the plane still smelling the fumes in the hot cabin. After a while, another announcement that Gatwick won't lend the starter cart.We waited more, lucky for B.A. the passengers were very patient.

After more waiting another announcement - they "found" a starter cart in their own airport and towed the plane,with us still in it to an area where they could start. The captain announced everything is o.k., except the dead A.P.U.,but it's o.k. to fly without. It was about one hour and forty minutes we waited in a hot, fumey dead plane heading into our nine and a half hour flight to Vancouver. The 747 was old with pieces of trim hanging down, broken parts in the cabin, dull paint and plastic - it must have been very old. B.A. was a great airline before, I would stay away from it now.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

For May 2018 I booked a return flight to Mahon, Menorca. Found and reserved accommodation and hire car. BA rescheduled the flight out meaning the loss of 1 days holiday. I rebooked and moved the return flight one day later. Villa owner was understanding enough to moved the booked accommodation to suit. Car hire company charged extra for the reschedule. So far so pretty bad. BA then altered the outbound flight time THREE TIMES! and the inbound flight time twice. I tolerated this and otherwise travel and holiday was OK. Then I did a really stupid thing. I booked BA again for May 2019 with accommodation and hire car again. BA cancelled the flight.

The call centre in sunny India apologized every six seconds of the conversation and suggested an alternative airport nearby. Palma Mallorca. It was not possible to explain to the handler that Palma is on a different Island. I cancelled the booking but was told that my refund would take 7-10 days. I'm not in the business of lending money to BA. I was able to rebook with EASYJET, seemingly the only UK airline that flies regularly to Menorca, getting reserved seats in an exit aisle for half of what BA charge for ** all leg room. I paid for luggage and found that I had saved £370 smackers on the deal. Result!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I paid for Premium Economy on flight from London to Seattle. When I got on the plane the footrest was broken and would not go under the seat, creating a safety issue. The attendant could not get it to work either and if there had been an emergency, it would have been impossible to get out. I complained to BA when I got home and it took them a long time to even respond, which was just an apology. After complaining again, they gave me some miles, which I will probably never use as I would not fly them again. Since this was a safety issue, I feel they should have upgraded me to Business class or First Class, which they did not do. I will never fly BA again. Bad service and bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I flew on British Airways to and from Rome at the beginning of October. A British Airways agent told me upon check-in that I could not have any carry on since the flight was full and overbooked. I told her I had medications and other necessities in my carry on I needed to keep with me. She replied that if I did not check my carry on with her, my luggage would not be given "priority" status and that I would have to take my chances at the gate. She convinced me I would have to surrender my carry on before boarding the flight. I had never flown with BA before, so I took her at her word. When I arrived at the gate, no one was checking carry on items and I found out the flight was not overbook and had empty seats. I complained to the gate agent but nothing was done.

It was raining in Rome and we remained on the tarmac for over 2 hours. Then we reached London Heathrow and remained parked for over an hour because there was another aircraft parked at our gate. BA did not even offer a bottle of water, rather you had to buy it. When I asked the flight attendant she said she could offer me "tap water". This is SO unacceptable. I missed my connection back to the US because of all this trouble and had to spend the night in London. However, I did not have my carry on because the agent told me I had to check it. So I did not have my medications or other essentials I needed to stay the extra day. When I picked up my luggage at LAX, BA had damaged my suitcase which they have yet to take responsibility for. The zipper pull fell off and it is $30 to repair. They won't even cover this. When I fly I have many choices. British Air will not be one of my choices any longer. THEY DON'T DESERVE MY BUSINESS.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Unclear baggage policies and terrible customer service: BRITISH Airways now rates as a scheming dishonest budget airline to me. Booked a direct flight on the BA website for over £1000 to Cape Town from London. Checked via Skyscanner which said 1 checked luggage included and 2 cabin pieces. I have a screenshot of this. When I booked and got confirmation, it looked like return flight didn't include checked luggage so tried to call but because of data breaches an automated message said to log non-urgent complaints on the website. I got a response that didn't help so tried calling a few times to no avail and even logged another online query.

Every time I got an agent in got redirected to the automated message asking for online complaints. Eventually today got a hold of an agent who said I should have called within 24 hrs so they're not going to adjust anything and didn't want to give me much details to escalate the complaint except to BA support again and didn't want to provide ombudsman info. I'm held hostage now as I'm forced to pay an extra £40 for bags. Having already paid over £1000, it's not the money but the principle that I was upset over. Feel cheated.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

This is the 2nd time that I've booked (and paid for) a Premium Economy window seat, which is prime real estate property on a flight. Again, they changed the carrier and put me automatically in an aisle seat. This is the 21st century! They could use an algorithm whereby those that have windows seats reserved are put on a window seat on the new carrier. Or they could send an email to us saying that they have changed carriers and have reassigned seats, so we have an opportunity to rebook a window seat. Otherwise, you need to check your seat every couple of days to make sure BA hasn't changed it. I swore I wouldn't fly BA anymore after the first incident. But somehow I forget and now face the same situation again. This time I won't forget. Nevermore!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Having decided to only compete with poor American based Airlines my old favourite airline (from many years back) is just cramming seats in and offering the minimum service, rather like those main American based airlines. This may be OK on the transatlantic routes but isn't any good on almost anywhere East or South of the UK where the competitors offer so much more at no real premium on BA. The competitor's Economy is so close to Premium Economy on BA - OK, I do know they choose to call it something else. My most recent flights were on a 787 in Business class and it just doesn't get anywhere near any of the middle east airlines and Qantas, Air New Zealand, Singapore or any of that very competitive group. To top it all off I have just been told that they have kindly shared my credit card details on more than one occasion with some hackers on their website.

Come on British Airways, you need to improve not cut the service back, try to compete with the airlines that will otherwise continue to hurt your pockets as passengers vote with their feet. Just look at the market you've lost in the last twenty years. I used to be proud to say I fly with BA, but nowadays I only do it if you are the only airline flying to my destination and even then I no longer enjoy it. Added to the review of the 787 business flight, come on Boeing sort those windows out, my 12-hour flight was all daylight and I had the sun shining through the fully darkened window, the solution was simple I suppose. Just shove a cushion in the window. But that design flaw has been around a while now. I know some airlines have requested normal blinds and would fully encourage you to do that. Not an issue on nighttime flights I know but there are plenty of flights that are daytime all the way and so long you need sleep.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My husband & I missed our flight to Moscow because the plane left one hour late from Chicago, did not land at the terminal so had to wait for buses. No one from the airline around to help guide us in Terminal 2. Our flight number was not on the departure board. A person at information told us to go to Terminal C. The correct answer was Terminal B but there is no quick way to backtrack since the Terminals are for departing passengers only. BA escalator not working. Once we got to gate, the door had closed & they refused to let us on but they held the plane to look for our luggage.

Original agent said it was our fault for missing the plane & our itinerary would be cancelled & we would need to buy a new ticket. Agent's manager did not cancel our ticket but required us to pay $250.00 U.S. dollars each for missing the flight & rebooking. Airline said we should be grateful they didn't cancel our ticket and no apology. Wrote customer service at least three to four times with same answer.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Worst airline I've ever flown with. Never again... outward flight I became ill after eating their food and had to be given something to take on the plane but at least the staff was friendly and helpful on that flight. The flight home however was the worst flight I have ever been on. The hostesses on the plane were absolutely vile. Dishonest, abusive, patronising & passive aggressive to the point I got my phone out to film them for my own safety to which the leader tried to tell me it was illegal for me to record. Never will use this airline again. I've flown a lot of different airlines as I have travelled a lot. This was a absolute disgrace.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My wife and I booked our 10th anniversary trip from Calgary to Rome return, with British Airways, Sept 17-27. This was my first trip in Europe, and we spent almost $8500 CAD on first class tickets. The flight Calgary to London (stopover) was ok. I got a bottle of water, and then nobody came to the pod I was in for the next 8 hours. One would have expected more from first class, maybe another bottle of water? They asked me to fill out what I would like for breakfast on a card. I filled it out but no breakfast or even coffee came.

The vacation itself was great. On the day of the return flight, our Trenitalia train broke down in Naples, and we were 80 mins late. My wife tried dozens of times to phone British Airways but none of their phone numbers posted on the website were working; most of the calls were just dropped and some were out of service. We tried the numbers from our tickets, their website, their help desk, Facebook page, Google etc. We tried at least 5 different phone numbers a half dozen times each over the 90 mins, and could not get through. My wife managed to check herself in online, but could not check me in. There was a glitch on the computer saying they needed my passport to check in, once my wife pressed my name, the passport information was already on the form and said form is complete. It was a computer glitch we couldn't get around.

There were also other train delays, road construction, etc. Ultimately we arrived at the Rome airport 5 mins too late for me to check in. My wife was ok and could go through but I could not. We asked the 3 ladies at the British Airways desk for help, and they simply shrugged and said they couldn't help us. Apparently, they said it would have been different if we called before, and we showed them her phone with all the calls we made. They then told us it was a ticket kiosk only and they couldn't reschedule us. They gave us another number to call.

My wife at this point was near tears. I am visually impaired and had eye surgery just 2 weeks prior, so I was not allowed to carry over 5 lbs. She was managing all the luggage, the ticketing etc and after 10 hours of delays she was very stressed. The attitude of these ladies certainly did not help in any way. The new secret customer service phone number we were given did work, and my wife was on the phone with Customer Service for over an hour. After reviewing the details with several teams of specialists, we were told basically that they didn't believe us that we tried to call, they were not interested in us sending screenshots of us trying to call.

Nothing could be done for us, and they could only rebook us for $8800. No apologies whatsoever were given, nor the slightest help or accommodation for us being stranded in Rome. We eventually made it home on different airlines but I have lost all respect and trust for British Airways. Like any corporation they are only interested in taking your money while making minimal effort to customer support.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We submitted 2 complaints to BA regarding this incident and waited 7 weeks to hear back from BA customer service before posting this. Up until this date, no follow up from BA except acknowledge that complaint was received and someone will follow up shortly. BA had 1 hour connection, poor management to get people on connecting flight. Upon arrival, we had to wait for 20-25 minutes for a bus. Pilots announced 2 or 3 times about status of only bus provided by the airport to unload passengers. We were on the last run. From my past experience, crew would announce passengers with the short connection first to make sure people are able to make to their next flight.

Upon disembarkation, airport associate at the terminal gave to some including our group of 5 people bright orange labels for express connection and sent us through security check who could care less about those labels sending us back to the end of the line to wait for our turn. To make matter worse, 3 people from the group made through security check, while the other 2 had to wait while security associate got in altercation with Spanish speaking passenger and the entire queue of people had to wait. At the end, 2 people out 5 in the group were late to the boarding terminal. Escorting people and getting them checked in the priority line would be more helpful.

To make matter worse, Harved (or Hardev) **, Customer Operational Manager at C54 gate, instead of putting both parents on the same flight with the kid (who was boarded 10-15 min earlier as were) told us that gate is closed and it is impossible to board us and after realizing that there is a kid on the plane, decided to take the kid off the plane (to keep family together) and held plane for over an hour while looking for luggage for all three people. We failed to see logic behind it and tried to address it.

To add misery to our experience, he made a note (we realized it later when booked next flight) to charge us for a ticket blaming us for holding a plane when he decided to take passenger and bags off the flight instead of letting us on the plane. Instead of diffusing situation, while making financially sound decision for the company, OM cost longer delay and 3 stranded passengers had to be on the standby for the next available flight. We wanted to address this issue to next level management but were told by Mr. ** that "I am the top manager and there is no one above me".

BA associates, who were told to book us on the next flight, after OM left, told us to go to customer service desk and book it there. Then, they just left us at the gate and walked away mentioning that "their job is over and they are done for the shift". I guess, what should we expect from them if their superior just gave an example how to treat customers. All in all, very unfortunate situation for us and irreversible impression of BA imprinted in our hearts for many years to come. We used BA service years ago and had nothing but good memories of our past flight and this current flight was chosen based on the past experience.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Traveled on business class. Airline misplaced baggage. American Air confirmed baggage delivered to BA but BA misplaced the bag on 8/31. BA informed me that the bag was found on 9/7 and will be shipped and delivered within 48 hours but that never happened. 12 days have passed and the crappy airlines cannot commit to delivering the bag. They are just a bunch of incompetent people that are retaliating and harassing me since I escalated the matter. Their customer relations team lies as well. Unreliable and lying bunch because they tell you one thing and do the totally opposite. Ruined my mother’s birthday since her gift is in the misplaced baggage. No one cares and that includes their CEO + exec team.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My daughters and I booked a direct flight on British Airways from San Francisco to Heathrow as we were going on a 14 day tour. Upon arrival at Heathrow my daughters' bags were on the carousel but mine was not. The BA luggage agent assured me that based on "scanning" history of my bag, it must be somewhere in the airport but was not placed on the carousel and I should expect it to be delivered to me within 24 to 48 hours. Since I was on a tour moving daily or every other day, I provided 3 days of lodging information as well as my contact phone number.

I had to initiate a call to them every day as they did not respond to me and they continually promised to deliver it but never did. Every time I called I started at the beginning of my story (they obviously do not keep any records in their system even though I was provided with a claim number) and provided daily updates of where I would be. MY LUGGAGE WAS NEVER DELIVERED, BUT THEY DID FIND IT 2 DAYS LATER AND SENT IT BACK TO MY AIRPORT OF ORIGIN AFTER 8 DAYS. Now I am trying to submit receipts for a few items I purchased for reimbursement at their direction and am having to jump through hoops without any satisfaction. Of course, they will not consider reimbursement for the $70.00 in cell phone charges I incurred by having to call them daily and be on hold for several minutes.

It has now been nearly 2 months and I am still being asked to complete forms online to submit repeatedly. I think their strategy is to annoy and procrastinate to the point where I will give up. BEWARE OF THIS INCOMPETENT AND UNCOOPERATIVE AIRLINE - I WILL NEVER FLY WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS AGAIN regardless of their more affordable fares!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My husband and I recently returned to the US on two connecting flights on British Airways through Heathrow. Before we left for the trip, we were told by BA that we would need to purchase seats if we wanted to sit together. I had never heard of this before, but we paid 128 euros and chose our seats online. I did some research to make sure the seats would be comfortable, as we are both tall and I had recently had a hip replacement. First leg: we were told we could not have the seats we paid for and were given random seats.

The usual obscure excuse from BA. For a 3.5 hour flight we figured we could deal with it. Second leg: after rushing through hurdles, busses, trains and security AGAIN in Heathrow after deplaning within the terminal, we were bounced again. My seat had a metal box where my left leg would normally go in front of me. Not ideal for a left hip replacement. A full flight so. No hope there. 6 and 1/2 hours later we limped off and we're happy to leave BA behind. I attempted to contact customer service to ask for a refund, as I did not get the seats I had paid for. Nobody does excuses better than the British. They apologized that I did not have a good flight and hoped I would have a better experience the next time I flew British Airways. That will not happen.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We are a family of four. We missed our flight today from London to New York, our fault. When we informed BA they said there was nothing they could do, that is not the problem. They cancelled our return flight which is in two weeks. After speaking with a representative and being placed on hold for over half an hour, in total, we were told this was their policy. We paid for the flight. It is in two weeks time, however, we can't use this ticket. How is this legal? How they keep our money and not let us use the tickets. BA are thieves. Just adding insult to injury, BA wanted $5,000 extra to change our flights and issue new tickets. That doesn't include the $ 3,000 we paid initially. They were recharging us for the flight in two weeks that we already paid for but BA won't let us take. This can't be legal. They have no loss for the returning flight. How can they stop us from using it, we paid for it.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My family was flying to Italy for a wedding traveling from JFK to Heathrow to Rome. Our flight was delayed arriving to JFK causing us to not be able to make the connection in London. After being at the ticket counter for 90 minutes (mostly waiting for return phone calls regarding inquiries made by the reps), they asked if we would be willing to travel Air France through Paris. We agreed, trying to be flexible, to run over to Air France to pick up our boarding passes. We arrived at the ticket desk at Air France's terminal only to find out that there were no boarding passes for us.

Unfortunately, and unknown to us, we were placed on standby (there were 12 of us with 5 children, so there is no way we would have agreed to fly standby!). We ended up scattered across two flights and Air France was able to offer incentives to other passengers to allow my kids to sit with my wife. I have tried for three weeks to contact BA regarding this issue via their website, various phone numbers, and direct emails with no response. There were also issues on the return flight (rebooked and delayed again) and one of our bags were lost in each direction (neither have been located).

British Airways Company Information