1.36/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Airbnb

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

22 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We were looking forward to a trip to the TN Smoky Mountains and thought renting a cabin would be a great way to "get-away" from the crowds. Well the picture of the cabin we chose was really cute and it looked so nice that I booked it for 3 days. When we got to the cabin it was NOT what it seemed on the Airbnb site and not what it was described as being. The cabin was only about 100 feet off a country road with 2 other cabins right in front of it. The people in the both of the front cabins looked like they owned their cabins and the front cabin had parking right up to the front of our cabin. There was no "mountain views" and the people in the front cabin made noise up to 10 pm.

I was so worried about these people I could not enjoy myself and we left after the first evening. So we told our "host" and he was very belligerent and did not take it on himself to give us any of our money back! He could have at least given us the cleaning deposit as we left everything even the bed that was too small to sleep in as we found it! I left a very honest review and he berated me about it. I will never rent a cabin again that I do not double check on satellite view and read all the reviews carefully. I wish more people would be more honest in the reviews. Some talked about the view not being what they thought and the bed being very small for a double but nothing about the 2 cabins and the short driveway. Very disappointing experience!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was having a major issue verifying my payment option which lead to a delay in my reservation. I had no other options and hadn't heard back from the host. I spoke with James ** who remained on the line while navigated the system and waited for a response from the host. He then offered to contact host in a attempt to make sure I booked the location time and price I wanted. James ** went over and beyond and was literally a guardian angel and prevented me from being on the streets that night. After speaking with him I was immediately verified and booked at my chosen destination. Thank you James ** for understanding the importance and urgency of my booking.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Horrible communications and very difficult to deal with. Just takes too much time and just can't get answers. Sometimes they answer quickly, but often takes a long time, and they have changed their email on me twice in the past three months. Will go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We rented a Condo in Colorado for 3 nights. Katie is the host (probably the owner). We paid around $544 dollars and it was including some "extra fees" and a $100 cleaning fee. When we got there, it was a clean place, quiet, and nice. She had food (pretty much cans) and everything we needed. The only thing we used from her few food items was some pancake flour. THAT was it! According to the rules on the website there was NO charge for extra people, $100 cleaning fee, and check out time was Monday at 11:00 am. This woman sent me an email every day (which was extremely annoying) and on Sunday asked what time was I leaving so she could send her cleaning people.

I HAD UNTIL 11 TO LEAVE THAT PLACE!!! SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO ASK ME ABOUT IT. Finally, we left and cleaned the condo more than we had to. We took the trash out, organized, and put the unclean dishes on the sink because we paid $100 cleaning fee for them to do it. Who goes to a vacation expecting to clean a PLACE? Nobody!!! That's why we paid for it! Well, next day she writes an extremely unprofessional review about me and my guests! Claiming that I used every single towel she had, eat all her food and left all dirty dishes on the sink!!!

WHO DOES THAT? ON MY AIRBNB PUBLIC PROFILE??? What type of person is This? I paid her $100 to clean the Condo! She didn't have to write such horrible comments about me and my family. I am not able to delete the comment she made and now every time I try to make a reservation all the hosts will look at her crazy review. I have attach her information and message she sent me. I'll like to ask for a full refund of my money for making go through such an embarrassing situation.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I went to NYC this summer through a private room that I booked in Manhattan for a really good deal. I had been traveling from Penn station to the apartment since it was relatively close by foot so I walked. I had been contacting the host all day but I had no answer. And I even messaged her the days before and nothing. I arrive to the location and still I have not received any information from the host as to what apartment number. This was my first experience with Airbnb in NYC and I am 18 years old in this city. I contacted Airbnb after two hours of no contact with the hostess. She had read my texts but no answers. Airbnb then left me on hold for an hour and a half and when they contacted me the person who answered was not sure as to what to do.

They passed me to the manager who tried to help and he said that they were not able to get a hold of the host. In those moments I received an Airbnb notification that the host canceled the reservation. I was very stressed in that moment and confused. I had gotten there on time for the check-in and I still didn't have any contact with the host. Now that Airbnb was not helping to their best capacity, which all they could do was offer me other rooms in Airbnb for that price but what they did not notice and I don't even know how, is that all those private rooms were booked for that night when I checked to book them last minute. How do you send someone links for a place to stay that they say is available but they truly are not available?

I am very disappointed and I made sure that the Airbnb agent knew my discourage with them. He told me could do is give me a refund and when I told him that the links he sent me were all booked he didn't say anything. In that moment last minute in NYC I had to book a hotel very expensive for the quality of it which was a holiday inn express which the elevator didn't even work. I ended up paying $287.04 a night for two nights, a total of $665.76 with taxes and fees included. Airbnb only returned me $150 six days later after my stay in NYC.

I find it amazing how Airbnb will leave their clients stranded on the streets of NYC at almost midnight with no way of resolving this issue with the costumer except giving them a refund. They should have contacted the host before and made sure that she was prepared for her guest. They are extremely lenient with who hosts and this is ruining their reputation. This was an experience from hell with this company. I hope for them to be able to help me solve this issue now after I review them here. I used to love Airbnb when my family and I go to vacations but now after this horrible experience I am terrified of using this company's services. All I want is for them to have covered the hotel stay that I had to last minute alone in NYC reserve due to Airbnb's failed services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I rented a place in Las Vegas. It was everything described but when I went to check in it said my reservation had been cancelled and the clerk suggested I call the host. I called the host and co-host, phone #s have been disconnected, so had to get my tablet out and look at my email to call the host, explained what happened and by this time I was very stressed out. He took care of it and asked if this was the first time I rented from Airbnb, yes it was my first and certainly will be my last.

No one wants to go to a place that they have paid hundreds of dollars to find out that your reservation has been canceled. The host said that the clerk typed my name in wrong. I doubt that cos he had my driver's license and if he typed my name in wrong then it wouldn't come up, he even put in the room # so no I will never rent from Airbnb again, I don't trust them now after that experience.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I contacted the host to ensure I did not have a reservation within 24 hours of my inquiry. The reason why is the site said his place was inactive. He responded that he did not receive my request and noted he was booked in the same email exchange. Days before my trip, I received an inmail noting I was booked with him. I responded and reminded him of our previous conversation only to be told no, I was wrong. I have a long string of emails to prove I am right. Airbnb complaint did not resolve, they kept my money for the $1,800 booking. With proof of Suhail's emails noting I did not have a booking.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

First let me start by saying I have been a host and traveler on Airbnb for 2 years now. I have always had a good experience both hosting and traveling. That was until I actually had to reach out to Airbnb for assistance. My last reservations booked and stayed 5 nights within my home. Upon returning the day they checked out I found multiple damages in my home, one of which the guest told me about upfront. Both damages were very similar however the guest is only taking responsibility for minor damages and not all. I attempted to work it out through the resolution center as instructed by Airbnb however it was clear the guest and myself would not be agreeing.

I have since contacted Airbnb support a total of 6 times. On every call I have been told that I need a case manager and that my current case manager is in the wrong department and they will need to transfer my case to the correct department. They then follow that up with "someone will be in contact via phone shortly". This all started on 9/17 (day of checkout) and I have yet to be contacted by anyone via phone. I have received 2 different emails by 2 different people sending me help links that lead me back to the resolution center, none of which are helpful or explain how to get my security deposit.

Airbnb gives you the ability to request a security deposit on your home. This is similar to a hotel asking for a credit card to be on file in case after your departure there are damages. They do not email you and negotiate the fees of the damages. They simply charge them and move on with their day. This is what Airbnb hosts are lead to believe with the security deposit. After all, why would you add the additional security deposit on your home and make it available to your potential guests if it's not enforced.

I have now been on hold for the 7th time with a "supervisor" of one of the customer service teams for an hour and 26 minutes and counting. Majority of which has been spent listening to terrible music. During the actual conversation part the "supervisor" admitted that they are not actually a manager and that if I did not get a callback this time I could call BACK IN and they would escalate it to a manager. This was infuriating considering the last 3 calls I have made I have asked to speak to a manager and was lead to believe that was who I was speaking to. At that point I interrupted the rep and told them how upset and shocked I was that he just admitted that he was in fact not a manager and that I had just wasted an hour of my time for him to tell me exactly what the last 6 reps had said and then rat himself out about his lie of not being a manager. I have now been waiting 27 minutes on hold for an actual manager to pick up.

I am unbelievably shocked, disappointed, and infuriated with the lack of service I have been given. Yes, Airbnb offers a good product. A place for people to list their homes but they also make it seem that they will have your backs and act accordingly when things go wrong, like damages. It is VERY clear to me now that is not the case. I have no idea if I will ever get someone on the phone who can actually assist me but I do know I will be posting this review on every outlet possible.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

AirBnb Experience. On Monday August 7, 2017, I checked into Heidi's Granny Cottage, an Airbnb sponsored accommodation, in the Daytona Beach area. The next morning after I showered, I noticed several sizeable red spots on each of my front shoulders. I took my hand mirror and noticed that more of the same were on my back upper arms, and a trail of red discs led up my neck into my hairline.

My plan for the day was to meet with my friend for an early lunch and to do a bit of shopping. When I picked her up, I showed her my arms and also the picture I had taken of my back while still in the cottage. She said she hoped they were only flea bites but I should check for bedbugs. She explained how that should be done. I cut our shopping trip short, because it seemed as if more bites were appearing. I went back to the cottage and asked Dorothy, Heidi's mother and the person who showed me around and got me settled into the cottage the night before, if she could tell me what she thought the bite marks were. She said she had lived in Florida for only two years and didn't have a clue. I went to Urgent Care, and the doctor without examining my body said they were bug bites. Not specifying which bugs.

I returned to the cottage and wanted to satisfy my mind to stay another night, but decided to check the mattress and box springs as my friend had suggested. Well, at the outer corner of the head of the bed, I pulled the piping/cording around the box springs and a full-grown bedbug and a cluster of eggs and nymphs fell onto the top of my shoe. I went back around front and summoned Dorothy to show her she had an infestation. Since I had disturbed them earlier, she didn't see any. I didn't stay around for her to check other areas of the bed. I was almost running to get out of there. She said she would refund my money, her portion. I needed to contact Airbnb about their share.

I contacted Airbnb and the first Customer Care agent said he needed proof, so I spent the next four hours trying to send the picture back to the email address he had used. It kept bouncing back. I finally found a place to send the picture after going to Airbnb's Help Center. He did refund the total $175 I had paid for a three-night stay.

Before I returned home, I went to General Dollar Store and bought bedbug spray and let off bombs in my car. I did not bring my soft side bags with my clothes and medicines in immediately, but I did wear the shoes in that I had on when I examined the box springs at Heidi's. Since I've never experienced anything like this, I thought after the bombing, my belongings could be brought back into my house. I immediately started washing my clothes. But it was soon very evident I had some hitch hikers. I then went to Ace Hardware and bought the most powerful kit they had and started using it. I also turned the furnace on and a small electric heater, hoping to eradicate them with heat. After doing this from August 9-13 with still bites each morning, I called a professional company. I wanted them to come the next day, but it took extensive preparation, and since I had to do it all myself, I did not have them to come until a few days later.

By the time they arrived, I had thrown out nearly all my clothes, bedding, beds and any soft items that could easily provide a nesting place for the bugs or their eggs. The professional returned three times to do both the car and the house. Each morning I still woke up with pinpricks somewhere on my body. After the first time they were there, I returned from the car with bites on both sides of my back just below my arms. My sister sent me over $200 of Say Bye Bug, which I used to spray over all surfaces and I washed all linen each day, sometimes twice each day in the laundry solution. Still pinpricks. I have followed all suggestions. I went and bought a steamer and shop vac and steamed each inch of my bedroom floor and up the baseboards. I finally bought 10-lbs of diatomaceous powder and spread it throughout the house. It looks like it's a bombed-out shelter in a war zone.

To keep from impacting my health further by inhaling fumes and dust, I asked my sister to please come get me. She called me when she was about 30-minutes away from my house. At that time I took a shower, stood in the middle of the living room and waited for her to come to the door to hand me a change of clothes. She gave me the clothes, and I handed her a plastic bag with my medicine in it. I told her to wait for me in the car. I quickly put on the clothes and left with another bag containing the rest of the Say Bye Bug which I sprayed on myself before I got into her car and after I got in. I anticipate being many miles away from my home for at least four months because I read that a bedbug cannot live longer without a blood meal. Since I was their host, I hope they will starve.

As far Airbnb, they are full of hot air. They want the public to think they are concerned and responsive to a guest's problem, but they're not. They had the gall to send me pictures of someone's lovely vacation to comment on. I did. I told about my not so lovely one. The thread had over a hundred responses. Several were from Airbnb personnel who monitor the information. Each one continued to publicly post that they wanted me to contact a Case Manager. Each time I did, it was the same smoke-blowing. Their final compensation offer was to WASH the clothes I had in Heidi's Granny Cottage. At that point I said, What clothes?

Airbnb wants to wash my clothes. I have thrown away most of my possessions, can't use my car or stay in my home, interact with my friends, participate in my social activities or have a normal life and they offer that as a solution. Folks BEWARE. Yes, this could have happened at a hotel, but at least there are inspectors and regulatory agents for them. With Airbnb, you're on your own.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Hotels are expensive so the idea to rent a room with a local is a great option... However, I have tried it 3 times and each time, it was a pretty poor experience. Yes, the rent was low but so was the quality. My first experience in an "urban" location turned out to be a room in an very inconvenient location where I was kept awake most of the night by barking dogs and then awoken in the early morning by roosters! The bathroom was pretty dirty. Fortunately, I was only staying there one night so I held my tongue and coped. On the next two trips which were longer, I found dirty rooms full of mosquitoes, no hot water to shower and no air conditioning even though it was listed as an amenity. What do you do - you are basically stuck!

Do not count on Airbnb's reviews because if the guest writes a poor review, the host can also complain about the guest so many people (including myself) are reluctant to write the whole truth. Customer service? AirBnB told me I had to demonstrate to them that there was no air conditioning!!! (I wonder how I am suppose to photograph air temperature???) Meanwhile AirBnB just collects their money... Like many other people who have posted here, accommodations made through AirBnB can be a risky business and can completely ruin your travels!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I went to the area in advance hoping to at least drive by the property before committing thousands of dollars to the rental, Airbnb would not give me the address unless I paid up front with no option to cancel. Therefore I rented a property that was not as stated. Also, while there, a Hurricane came into my hometown. Airbnb was totally unhelpful in helping me resolve the issues of the home or in helping me if I needed to go home due to the storm. They totally leave every thing to the owner's discretion even though I rented through Airbnb.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Their customer service is wanting and so is the Airbnb.com site. It's not user-friendly at all and very confusing. They change it often so you never really become familiar with it. They must continue to get complaints about it if they have to change it so often. Also, because their policy is to never remove or edit a review or your response to a review, you can't dispute them even if you have documentation that the review/response is an error.

I think they must get many complaints about their review policy too, because after speaking with 4 different agents about the policy, it seemed they had heard these things before and were quick to get off the phone. They have no power to help you even if you go to a supervisor. They have become robotic in the way they operate their business sort of like the cheap airfare sites and other 3rd party sites that have bad reputations and for the most part are unable to assist. But, they will take their service fee out of the total. So, there's that.

Original review: July 16, 2017

On two occasions, in a matter of hours, I registered to rent a vacation home on dates listed as available. I sent my credit card info and received a confirmation code for the rental and a confirmation of the charge which had immediately been made to my credit card account. Hours later I was contacted by the owner/host of the property telling me that it was not available on the dates I had booked and therefore my reservation was null and void. He stressed that he had told Airbnb that his property was not available on those dates yet they booked it anyway. I was at this time told by Airbnb that they would apply a credit of my payment to my next booking and refund the difference.

I proceeded to book another property, only to be contacted the following day by the host that their property was also not available and that they had clearly communicated with Airbnb that those dates were not available. This host proceeded to contact Airbnb numerous times to straighten the matter out but I continued to receive confirmations and a guarantee that they had contacted the host and all was OK. If I had believed them I would have been stuck without housing when I arrived in Massachusetts from Texas! I called the host directly, as Airbnb had given me their number in the confirmation, to make sure this information was correct, only to find out that she was very upset with Airbnb and their lack of proper response to her communications. The property was unconditionally not available.

There have been innumerable communications between myself and Airbnb, yet no refund of my money. It has now been 4 days. 2 days ago I was told that they had escalated the situation to a case manager but I only received an anonymous email saying they had contacted the host for a refund after which they would refund me! I told them they were a business and they were responsible for refunding me after 2 false bookings but still no refund. I phoned the host again today to see if that would help and she told me that she had never received any funds for my booking, nor had she been contacted in that regard! I'm out $1,200 with no response from Airbnb!

Original review: July 5, 2017

I would never have used this service had I read reviews first about AIRBNB. I stumbled upon the site while looking for week long lodging in Atlanta, GA and one of the properties listed came up on one of the many websites online with hotel listings, like TripAdvisor, Priceline and from there, of course, I began scanning all of AIRBNB's listings. It seemed like a great idea but it is nothing more than a classified ad service, worse in many ways.

The website is nothing more than a classified ad service, or eBay in the early days when all it had going for it was a "review system." BUT Airbnb knows you're not likely to look into THEIR PERSONAL REVIEWS and nowhere on their site is a system to review them! You only get to review their hosts, BUT ONLY IF YOU STAY REGARDLESS OF THE CONDITIONS YOU FIND UPON ARRIVAL!

Let's say you arrive, turn on the lights, and OMG, there are literally 50 roaches running for the corners? Or, the bed is unmade with soiled sheets and there is unflushed urine sitting in the toilet? If you cancel your reservation, YOU CANNOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH ANYONE ON THEIR SITE and they do nothing to assist you. Or, imagine you rented a place for a week in an area where it is difficult to find lodging last minute, and your host cancels on you upon your arrival? NO REVIEW ALLOWED! Are you getting the picture? Dangerous and unsafe conditions upon your arrival? You are screwed! Airbnb gets a hefty sum in service fees and does nothing for them other than HOSTING THE ADVERTISEMENT ON THEIR SITE and using a review system they intentionally ensure will not reflect poorly on their hosts or their site!

If you get canceled on when you arrive, you are forced to pay outrageous fees for last minute lodging elsewhere, and more than likely much further away than you needed to be! AND they offer people huge incentives to encourage others to use their site -- I'd only do that if I were nasty and wanted to screw someone over. I'll stick to using places guaranteed safe and available and warn everyone I know to stay far, far away from AIRBNB! If you have a problem and contact AIRBNB, nothing, they are nothing more than a classified ad service!

Original review: June 30, 2017

Below is an excerpt of a letter to the host in Paris, where I arrived after a 24 travel experience, alone, to an inaccessible flat with no communication available from the host. This is one of many messages explaining the situation, most recently sent after trying to contact Airbnb repeatedly and being told only the host could refund the money, and she told me that only they could refund the money. Neither is replying at all anymore.

3. With regards to the contract/agreement, both parties must fulfill obligations. You and by extension Airbnb have failed in this matter on several counts prior to the cancellation: (a) substituting a different apartment after I reserved and paid for another one, without my consent in advance or details on the new place. (b) failing to honour the stated time of checkout as per your advertisement which is 12 noon... upon which I had made my plans to arrive in order to, not check in necessarily, but drop off bags as the previous tenants should have been gone. At the last minute you accepted their whim to leave at 2.00, leaving me stranded. With no communication.

(c) providing a key for some other flat entirely, left in a mailbox in another building as the host was unavailable, which did not work when I tried it. No communication after several attempts. Had to go to a hotel. Lost $500. Airbnb cancelled and refused a refund due to strict policy, and I quote, "while disregarding their own rules for the host to responsibly rent and supervise guest experience." Many Airbnb experiences go fine, but when they don't, the company will abandon you and you have no recourse.

Original review: April 5, 2017
    Go stay here. The owners are so friendly, nice and sweet. The house is beautiful, feels warm, clean and smells delicious!!! The bed is so great and comfortable.

Dublin centre is in walking distance. Really great place!!! I going to stay there every time I will go to Dublin!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

The property I rented was far from the one described in the listing on Airbnb.com. It was filthy and many of its appliances were broken. And even worse, the room shown in the listing's primary photo was not in the house at all.

When I reported this to Airbnb, they dismissed me out of hand. Ever since then, they have ignored my emails or sent curt, unproductive, and dismissive responses. They have even refused to deal with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: April 23, 2016

Airbnb will take a listing from anyone, not just vacation rentals. There are less than 100 legitimate vacation rentals in our area, but airbnb has over 300 listings because they are allowing Inns and B&B's to list their rooms individually. That's not the way a vacation rental website was meant to be and that's not what they advertise. Airbnb is trying to get business from priceline, groupon, travelociy and all the rest of the booking agencies that hotels and Inns use. Owners do not pay to list their property on airbnb, so why shouldn't they list as many rooms as they can..

Airbnb makes their money by charging a hefty service fee, so why shouldn't they take as many listings as they can. With vrbo now blowing up with their service fee debacle, the vacation rental business is a mess. Flipkey by traveladvisor is still legitimate where owners pay to list and guests do not pay a service fee. Hopefully they will not start gouging too.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Airbnb tried to cancel my reservation, stating that I could not assign the room I rented without their approval. Sorry, but, that's not the LAW and your unwritten policy does not trump my legal rights. This occurred after I tried to cancel with the host, giving a legitimate extenuating circumstance (their standard for cancellation without penalty), and an offer of some form of (25% of what I paid) cancellation feel; to rectify the hosts' inconvenience. The host told me "no, that he would lose his 'super host status' (lie) and that I had to keep my reservations."

I escalated to Airbnb, where they told me I was out of luck as well. I then utilized my law degree to inform these clowns that 1) No clickwrap agreement is going to bind me to anything; 2) I am legally entitled to try and make myself "whole" by way of assigning the room rented to another individual; 3) Tenancy Law > Terms & Conditions of a corporation.

The law allows for cancellations within a certain time period, regardless of some clickwrap agreement; meaning if you book a place 6 days in advance, when the website claims in its fine print that if you cancel within 7 days, you pay x fee -- it's not contractually binding, as you are not given any grace period to cancel without penalty. After educating a low-level employee who threatened me; a supervisor quickly offered me a full refund. However, days later, I have not seen that amount applied to my paypal balance as they said it "would soon." Soon, to me, means within a week.

Do not deal with Airbnb unless you feel like being strong-armed and ganged up upon by a host and Airbnb customer service. If you do, remember, when it becomes reasonably inferable that the host is an agent of Airbnb, they become vicariously liable for the actions of said agent and are prime targets for litigation. Cheers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

I have been a guest and host for Airbnb since 2007. I know how this business operates and how the website has been upgraded and changed, since I was one of the first to use it in 2007. I have over 40+, glowing reviews on my account, and have paid this business a LOT of money. I have been treated VERY unfairly recently, and the scenario follows:

I recently had a slip and fall accident in a filthy apartment where I rented a room through Airbnb. The pictures were completely deceiving, as MOST ARE. The photos are photoshopped to make the rentals look CLEAN/SPOTLESS, larger than they are, and brighter. The photos of this rental did not reveal the filthy bathroom and bathtub, kitchen, etc. I was desperate to find a room, since it is nearly impossible to find one in Chicago in the summer. And hotels are out of the question. I am a world traveler and have been renting rooms on and off for a month.

Regarding this apartment: I told the owner many times the guests (15+) were not cleaning the floors and that there was water on the bathroom floor and kitchen and hallway DAILY. Also, the trash was piling up, and I was not going to keep cleaning up after the short term guests. I did notice she had several bad reviews about the cleanliness of her apartment, particularly the bathroom, and $800 a month, for my porch room and literally wooden box spring 'bed' from a couch was the bed. The host did get an air mattress for me shortly after I arrived and saw the 'bed' was made of wood with sheets covering it. This was the first time the host rented this 'room' so no reviews on the space... I was the first.

I wound up slipping on the bathroom floor and hit my foot on a very dangerous tile step that is permanently cemented to the length of the bathtub. I fell into the porcelain (filthy) bathtub, smashing my wrist and arm and knees on the side of the tub, then fell very hard in the bathtub, breaking my fall with my hands and badly broke and fractured bones in my wrist and arm. I told the host (who was rarely there) again I had slipped on the floor AGAIN, this time breaking my wrist. I went to the emergency room the next morning, and the doctors concluded I had badly broken my wrist and fractured bones in my arm. A cast was put on and follow up visits to an orthopedic surgeon came later.

Immediately after this fall, Airbnb deleted my account without my knowledge and made me move out, but put me up in a hotel costing $3000 A WEEK, but they did not pay the deposit of $250. I almost could not move into the paid room and it took HOURS for me to reconcile this since they had not reimbursed me for the filthy room/apt I just left.

To make matters worse and worse, I had to pack and move with a broken wrist. Get my own transportation to the hotel (they paid for that), and unpack (I have been traveling for 3 years and have several large suitcases), etc. I forfeited 4 interviews since I could not interview with a cast on my arm (I work solely with my hands). After just breaking my wrist and informing Airbnb what happened, they manipulated me to sign the Host Protection Program (DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING FROM AIRBNB!!!), this 'program' protects the host only not the guest.

I wound up nearly homeless after the week at the hotel, since it is nearly impossible to book a room in Chicago during the summer, and my Airbnb closed my account due to MY INJURY that was NOT my fault. By chance, I found a retreat where the host gives priority to women in crisis. She knew I was in crisis (she hates Airbnb as well, and they have owed her money; she no longer uses Airbnb as a host). A sleazy insurance adjuster works with them, and he is dishonest and only protects Airbnb. I met with him unknowingly that he was completely against me; he recorded my conversation, and ALSO acted as if this accident was MY fault, even though when I met with him, I had a cast on my arm! I later wrote him an email stating to DROP everything and told him he is dishonest and I was manipulated into meeting with him, etc.

I am now seeking legal advice from a well known attorney. Airbnb should be sued for this as well as the host. It's about time Airbnb, the money hungry corporate, multi billion dollar company got sued for guests who have pain and suffering, lost wages, due to their false advertising of 'clean' rentals, etc. There are many more details, but you get the picture. WATCH OUT for Airbnb; they are NOT honest or helpful. They have so many employees now who put you on hold to get rid of you. This is a corporation being run by greedy 30 somethings who are just getting rich, no matter what.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

Dont believe in prices in site!!! You dont know the last price until the end of reservation. I booked a house for three nights and the price was 250 dollars per night but airbnb decided that I should pay 83 Dollars more!

The ask commission between 6 to 12 % from the customer and also ask it from the house owner, Be ready for any unusual commission at the end. Also I could not cancel the reservation because they ask you full amount of payment not only the first night.

So the prices are all fake on the site. Think twice before booking.

Original review: June 18, 2015

I was left completely stranded by Airbnb when my vacation rental fell through. I showed up to the unit with my 3 out-of-town family members and the vacation rental had not been cleaned since the previous occupants. The unit was also terribly maintained and did not look anything like the pictures displayed. While we were trying to contact the unit owner and discuss these issues with Airbnb, 3 of my friends showed up with $200 worth of groceries as they planned to BBQ with the family that day.

I spent the next 3-4 hours on the phone with Airbnb, the owner, and the property manager. Airbnb could not get us into another property as it was too late at night. The owner of the property was in Paris and the property manager was not listed on the account so she could not really help us. The property manager tried to amend the situation with unreasonable offers which we declined.

Every time I called Airbnb to discuss the matter I was placed on hold for 5-10 minutes while my representative was located. She would not give her direct number. It was requested I email pictures of the unit but a direct email could not be given. Every time I sent a picture to the original email I received an error message although the representative actually said she could receive them. She would not give her direct email.

I was finally told the reservation should be cancelled but I could not cancel it myself as I would be responsible for the entire balance. I had to wait for the unresponsive property owner in Paris to cancel the reservation.

In the meantime, while their food was spoiling in the car, my friends found a vacation rental company in the same area that was willing to get us in a unit- that exact moment- for cheaper than we had spent on this property. I requested this be paid by Airbnb but this request was declined. Apparently they can only work with their own properties.

Airbnb did nothing to correct this situation. The owner of the unit harassed me throughout the next day to cancel the property but Airbnb could not get ahold of him? I finally heard back via email that my reservation was cancelled. This was the worst customer service Ive ever received. We were truly stranded. My graduation weekend, my familys stay, and our groceries were ruined because they do not have the appropriate backup plan in an emergency situation and they will not accommodate a new plan found by the customer.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.
    • Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.
    • List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.
    • Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.
    • Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.
    • Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs