1.23/5
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Last updated: April 24, 2018

113 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 24, 2018

In what other business, are you allowed to charge half the fee within SECONDS of a person hitting the "request" button... and it's non-refundable. I believe that is a direct violation of New York State's "Buyers' Remorse" laws and I intent to file complaints with everyone I can. Airbnb is nothing more than a free-for-all platform that doesn't protect the consumers who use it.

Original review: April 23, 2018

We have used Airbnb for a couple of trips and have had a great experience. Both hosts commented about how quiet we were and how clean we left everything. So we were shocked to receive a refund for the property with no explanation as to why the reservation had been canceled. In December or January, I booked a townhouse in La Jolla for June, as we will be attending a wedding in the area. Now, with the wedding soon approaching, we have to scramble to find accommodations. Airbnb should have the courtesy to tell us why our reservation is canceled. I will not be booking with them, again, any time soon. There are plenty of companies that stand by the reservations they provide.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Jason ** & Ping ** are hosts of FIVE downtown Montreal, Canada condos listed on Airbnb. They are dishonest crooks! We stayed one night in one of their condos. After our check-out, they made false accusations to Airbnb that we had smoked pot and damaged their condo, and claimed $400 to cover costs they claimed they incurred to ‘sanitize’ the air of the condo. When we demanded to see the air sanitizing company’s invoice, it was clearly revealed they had ‘photoshopped’ a FAKE invoice to reflect their lie!

We were in shock & disbelief that a host with such stellar feedback & super host status would stoop so low to exploit a client for extra money! They should be ASHAMED of themselves to do this to their guests! Airbnb staff investigated and unveiled the truth that their invoice was INDEED FAKE! In the end Airbnb REFUNDED us for that horrible stay. BEWARE!!! Don't get trapped by staying in one of their Montreal properties!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Our family including 4 year olds was kicked out of our 2 week rental for being “too messy” in the middle of the night on our second week. We lost our home recently in wildfires and came here to give our friends we stay with some alone time away from us. We got refunded our remaining days. However, a week later the hostess in Santa Rosa, named Mara is requesting from us $360 in damages we did not do claiming her things were brand new and we did a bunch of damage, left a large mess, and stole things.

Luckily I had taken photos of the place the night we were leaving to help our case otherwise we may not have been so lucky in Airbnb to not give into the host. However again the next day after Airbnb had said we weren’t responsible; they charged our credit card for the same amount of $360 requested by the host so we had to notify credit card company we did not authorize this. Too scary to agree to their terms of service and not given a chance to do some sort of walkthrough checklist upon arrival and leaving.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Customer service extremely unhelpful. I made a reservation and chose the option to pay 50% now, 50% later. I paid for the initial 50% with my credit card. I received a gift card after I made the reservation and contacted customer service to see if I could apply the gift card toward the remaining balance. They put me on hold for 5-7 minutes and came back saying I could not, I had to pay the rest with credit card. I said that was ridiculous and unacceptable, let me speak with someone that could help me. They said no one could help me.

They put me on hold for a bit longer. They came back and said they would have to cancel the entire reservation and rebook it with the seller if I wanted to pay part of the balance with gift card. I had already signed contracts with the owner, etc. They didn't care. On top of that, they are making at least $100 of the $500 reservation in fees, based on the contract from the owner. $100 should buy some level of service, but not with Airbnb. First and last time using Airbnb.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: April 18, 2018

My experience similar to others below. Booked a room, but when checked in, place was filthy, it looked like someone else was living there unregistered, and generally had a really creepy feel. Couldn't stay there, but when attempting to get refund from Airbnb, they will always defer to the host. Because I didn't have enough documentation, they wouldn't give me a total refund. I actually had pictures of the dirty bathroom clearly showing dirty linens, but they claimed they couldn't see anything. So you take a big risk - if your host is a good one, you're lucky. If they're not and misrepresent their place, you're on your own - the host can just lie to Airbnb and they'll defer to them - they are host-friendly, not renter friendly. Not for lone travelers concerned about safety - residence mentioned above ("Parsa", in Northridge, CA) would have been unsafe, because host never showed up with a key, and there were unregistered guests.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Booked the entire first week at a cottage in Sarasota, Florida. Place was filthy but since it was Easter weekend AND spring break there was nowhere else to go. Host refuses to acknowledge her place was filthy and publicly called us nitpicky as well as flat-out lied to Airbnb about us. Airbnb has completely ignored our complaints to them even when we pointed out that the host received 2 more 5 star reviews from other people during the same time we were at the property! Since we had the whole property to ourselves, I am curious where these other guests were staying. It's a scam and I will never use Airbnb again and I will tell everyone who will listen about our experience. The name of the cottage is "Bayou Get-Away Cabin" in Sarasota, Florida.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This is for all the folks that has ever thought about using Airbnb.com. I just left a place that was too nasty to stay in. Because I didn't cancel before check in, I only got a sixth of what I paid refunded. Because I canceled I can't leave a review. Keep that in mind when you see awesome reviews. Perhaps current photos of the bathroom would be wise to ask for in advance. As a disclaimer, my first two experiences were great, the last two has been so awful. I will never use this again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

DON'T USE Airbnb! I requested to book a 3-bed apartment that by the description and pictures on Air BnB looked wonderful. The host asked me to confirm the ages of the people traveling with me before he confirmed the booking. I did just as he asked. He then confirmed the booking, charging my credit card. 5 minutes later he messages me and tells me I will have to share 2 beds and the place is under renovation, unsafe for teenagers. I told him immediately that would not work. Then he tried to backtrack and say it's not really under construction but the rooftop was unsecured and not safe for teenagers. He knew I was traveling with teenagers as he had asked me twice. I told him I booked the place for the view and the fact it had 3 beds. He told me too bad if I cancel. It's my choice and there is no cancelation so I still pay. I canceled immediately.

Airbnb has not helped at all despite me having a record of all of the messages between us. They said if he rebooks it then I can get a refund. No one in their right mind would travel all the way to Paris to stay in a place under renovation, unsafe for their kids and with fewer beds than advertised. Airbnb should be reversing the charges ASAP but have been no help at all. This is my first time ever using them and I will never use them again. DON'T BOOK THROUGH AIRBNB, THEY ARE A SCAM!

Original review: April 12, 2018

For the first time I wanted to book an apartment with Airbnb in San Diego downtown but ended with a bad experience. The apartment is given in my search results when I searched for the listings with 2 adults plus 2 children. Airbnb showed this apartment as 'Rare found' and also showed a beautiful view of the downtown as if it is from the apartment. When we actually checked in the apartment, it is not at all child-friendly apartment, no child lock, our 2 year old can easily open the main door and go out, also scary patio from where you can see the down floors from the rails which got the big spaces. There is no view at all from the apartment.

We checked in at 11 pm in the night and reported the next day morning around 7 am. Airbnb refunded only 1/2 of the night price of the unstayed nights. Although it is clear mistake from the Airbnb, they did not ready to pay the full refund. I had to cancel the booking anyway as it was not child safety apartment. We expected a pleasant stay in the San Diego downtown, we paid 3 star hotel price for this apartment, finally ended with the bad experience and lost $400/- simply to Airbnb. I won't consider Airbnb for my future bookings and also don't recommend to friends.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Upon gaining access to the rental site we discovered a leaking kitchen ceiling, dangling light fixtures in kitchen and bathroom and no working lights in any living areas. Within a half hour we notified the host that the premises were unsafe and unacceptable and we were canceling. We had to go to a hotel for the 7day trip; this cost a great deal more. Within 12 hours we notified Airbnb of the situation and they assigned a customer support "agent" to work on the case. We indicated we were not going to cancel on the Airbnb website because, per their policy statement, doing so within 24 hours of our rental would result in forfeiture of all fees. He assured us "we were doing the right thing". A day later Airbnb said they would only refund half the rental/cleaning fees with the other half going to the host! It was obvious that Airbnb kept their service fees and tried to serve two masters, satisfying none!

Original review: April 9, 2018

After the host of our reservation, I tried to work with a case manager to find a new host, but had a nightmare. Case managers as well as supervisors didn’t call me back for days, on multiple occasions. We ended up having to get a hotel and I was told by a case manager she could reimburse me up to $200 to help cover the difference in the cost of the hotel and my reservation. A supervisor then reneged on that and wouldn’t give me a dime. The supervisor also took several days off while we were trying to resolve this, without notifying me, which would be fine except Airbnb wouldn’t let another case manager or supervisor help. Be prepared to work around their schedules rather than them working around ours. Or just don’t do business with them, I never will again.

Updated on 04/15/2018: Multiple issues, main thing I’d like people to know about is their communication issue. While attempting to work out an issue with my reservation, I was told I would be called back by a supervisor when none were available during my conversation with a case manager. The call never came. I called back the next day and again was told a supervisor wasn’t available, but that one would call me back later in the evening. That call never came. I called back the next day, same thing. Each time I was apologized to and promised it wouldn’t happen again. Finally, three days late I received an email stating that a final decision on my case was made and they were terminating communication. Cowardly decision by the supervisor to resort to email to deliver the case verdict (which I vehemently disagree with and am considering legal action for).

Original review: April 9, 2018

My friends and I booked an apartment with Airbnb about 2 months in advance. When we arrived, it was a scam. The apartment had been rented out to another group. Airbnb support did nothing to help us and did not take our situation seriously. They stranded 3 young females in a foreign city and have refused to refund the $173 we spend on the rental. DO NOT USE this company!

Original review: April 7, 2018

My wife, two year old daughter and I stayed in Miami last year using one of Airbnb's listings. Upon arriving, the unit had an over flooded bathroom and disgusting sheets. The property manager kept moving us from one unit to the other to accommodate his other guests, and when we complained he threatened us - taking advantage of our situation with a child - and told us any complaints will make us end up on the streets. Airbnb made us leave the location for our safety, and the matter was considered resolved when we were offered a coupon to use and in return we would not file an official complaint with authorities. We now want to use this coupon (which is under my wife's name), but my wife is unable to travel. Airbnb refused to have me use the coupon which expires in 1 month, thus rendering the situation unresolved. We wasted our vacation and money, and it seems like legal action should have been the right solution.

Original review: April 7, 2018

As a host I have brought many concerns to the staff of Airbnb over the years only to be contradicted or told that "nothing can be done" about my issues. The latest of them concerned a very satisfied couple who had stayed with us for 3 nights prior to leaving on a cruise. When they returned, they were very disappointed to learn that their 5 star review was not accepted because it exceed the Airbnb's timeframe for reviews of 14 days from the close of their stay. THEY WERE ON A CRUISE! They were having fun and they figured they'd wait till they were back in the comfort of their own home to compose a nice review. No such luck...another one of Airbnb's ridiculous policies (of which there are many more).

We were looking forward to this review because Airbnb had not sent any business our way in over two years. While we are getting consistent 5 star reviews through VRBO (HomeAway) and TripAvisor (Flipkey), the staff at Airbnb continues to tell me that something is wrong with my listing. It's somehow not appealing to viewers! BS!

It is my personal belief that Airbnb had blacklisted me for complaining to a guest several years ago (via conversations on the website) about the website's unusual policies. After that conversation my reservation requests from Airbnb STOPPED...for 3 years! Nothing! This past month as if by magic I suddenly got 3 reservation requests within 2 weeks. I guess my punishment is over and I've been released for my misdeeds. This is not to mention the user-unfriendliness of the website itself. Trying to navigate that website, for an owner at least, is next to impossible. Bottom line is this...our vacation rental is booming through websites like VRBO and TripAdvisor among some others. If Airbnb decides my property is again worth the commission $$ that they get from their travelers then maybe they'll forgive my egregious behaviour!

Original review: April 7, 2018

Two days before my travel date, Airbnb canceled my reservation because of a past offense in the background check. I’ve been renting from different hosts for a year, given and received positive reviews, never had complaints from hosts, and never had issues with them. Even though I got a refund, I still have to scramble to find a place to stay at the last minute. I did not attempt to contact Airbnb because I’ve read that they give no help or response to people whose accounts they deactivated or banned. Airbnb say they don’t discriminate, but they judge people by their past. An offense 10 years ago will get you banned. It’s only a matter of time.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have been cancelled by Airbnb twice as an active guest in less than 30 days. I booked one In San Francisco then another to Jenner beach For the remainder of my stay in Cali to visit my sick mother. Less than 1 week of my travel dates I get an email cancelling my Jenner Beach reservation that has been charged to my account/cc already. Instead of telling the truth that someone made a mistake of posting such the wrong price instead they tried to claim that the host was contacting me outside the website. Which is a lie, because the host never responded to me but manage to approve only the reservation with no words of hey or how. “Deep breath house” hosted by Jacqui.

I was told by Airbnb that her account is on hold therefore I cannot contact her. Surprisingly I have the app on my phone. I have all the email and respondings from host and Airbnb. No one could help me find another for the same price and same location after I was grilled like I committed a murder. I thought people make mistakes and should be given chances. I reserved another place for the 4th of July week on another location which PCB Florida just simply for adults and couples, friends who just need to spend time together. Well what do you know I get another email stating that I have been canceled by the host. The host Judy was told to reach out to me and apologize and said why, ”the listing was being worked on and was not supposed to published”. So I called the customer service and demand this time that they own up to their mistake.

“Kyle” Airbnb support stated that we need to figure out what went wrong in my part and that Judy is a liar! Kinda strong accusation. I emailed Judy that accusation but for some reason this apologetic host or condo owner no longer exist. No picture, no condo, no nothing. I corresponded with Kyle who urge me to call my Credit card company to see if they paid the half of the amount required to reserved the condo, I argued the fact that Airbnb is refunding the money to my credit card according to my account but it will take a few days. How in the world would you refund a money that has not been received!

Kyle has attached other places that are still available but nowhere near the price and not even on the beach! It’s so ridiculous that I have to explain to friends that I don’t have a place for us to stay when the prices has been split and agreed upon. I am so embarrassed and Airbnb made a fool out of me once again. I offered to have a lawyer because Kyle is wasting my time. Consumer, guest and host shall file a lawsuits which I’m sure there plenty out there already or maybe we need to get the media to do investigative reports on Airbnb!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Booked a vacation on my debit card, instead of my credit card which overdrew my account. I got the notification within 2 seconds of clicking confirm on Airbnb and called them immediately (waited on hold for 15 minutes before talking to someone). I asked if they could stop the transaction and if I could just give a new credit card number. They said no, they could not. I asked if they could cancel the booking and just rebook over the phone with a different credit card, they told me I had to cancel online and rebook but pay all the cancellation fees. What a ** joke! So I had to spend an hour out of my workday to drive up to my boyfriend's work, get his card, withdraw money from his account, go to my bank, make the deposit to cover the overdraft. Such a hassle!

Second scenario (this was a different booking) - we decided to cancel a reservation if the host was willing to refund in full. Since it was 5 months out, host said no problem. We had also called Airbnb to see if we could get a refund of cancellation fees if the host said yes or just give us a credit on a new booking (called them prior to canceling just to make sure). They said yes, should not be a problem just call them if we do cancel. Well what do you think happened when we called back? They were refusing to give us the credit, had to call three times. Thank god I had the original persons name/ID who told us "shouldn't be a problem" and only after speaking to a manager 3rd attempt were we refunded. My final complaint is how long they make you wait on the phone to talk to someone or do anything. Average call with Airbnb takes 30 minutes, what a joke. I am using VRBO from now on.

Original review: April 6, 2018

They keep your money if you cancel a transaction. Instead of sending your money back to the credit card, they keep it as a COUPON. If you don't check and don't ask, the "coupon" aka your money expires after 1 year and you lose it!!! Also, if you see a room but are not sure and don't book it, when you get back, the price is much higher. The taxes they charge the host and the guest are not clear. I spoke to hosts who told me they were charged much more. WE NEED SOME AGENCY TO INVESTIGATE AIRBNB.

Original review: April 5, 2018

This past week I had a tenant stop their monthly payment to Airbnb and skip out in the middle of the night. This violates my cancellation policy. Airbnb told me they would take care of the money and that particular Airbnb staff member never documented anything. The second Airbnb staff member said after three attempts to collect they would send the case to collections. That was several days ago and of course Airbnb has no phone number that they can give me to talk to the collections department. I am receiving no support or assistance in spite of their claims that they do so. Homeowner beware. If the tenant skips out it does not appear that Airbnb provides any assistance with collecting the rent.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I purchased a week April 6-9 and then a month June 6- July 6 of rooms for my wife and I's honeymoon (out of country). That was a little over two months ago. I woke up this morning to an email saying that every one of my rooms had been refunded. I leave tomorrow so I did the natural thing and panicked. I tried to log into my account but could not. I then received an email stating that not only was my account deleted but that I'm also screwed out of all my reservations. Turns out that, my probation that I had completed on deferred judification made it where, I did meet their requirements to stay with any of the lodgings.

I wish that this had been stated more clearly in Airbnb's policy. I also want to know why in the hell it took two months, and a day before my flight leaves, for me to get all of these notifications. I'm not arguing with their policy just the fact that they were clearly unresponsive and irresponsible. How does your business function with a model like this? I would just get a hotel. We found a 4 star for the same price this morning.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I booked an apartment through Airbnb for an extended stay in Italy. The host could not meet for check-in because he stated he was going to be out of town. I had a friend that lived locally to pick up the keys for me. My stay was shortened due to credit card fraud. I left the key with the same person that picked them up since he was not available for checkout. The host called me at 2am demanding keys which I did not have. I was already out of the country but the host wanted me to call his relatives to make arrangements. A few hours after that call I received a bill for over $500.00 to have a lock replaced.

I contacted the host and Airbnb and specifically told them they needed to contact the person in Italy with the keys. Why would I even have them when the host stated he could not be there for checkout. A few hours went by and received another nasty message from the host. He claimed that the door was left opened and the place was trashed. How ironic he just billed me for $500.00 for a missing key and now the door is magically unlocked. I received so many different stories from the host I don't know what to believe. Lesson learned. I will just use Booking or just Google a reputable place to stay in the future. I was fortunate to take pictures before I left to counter any damage claims. I take pictures of everything. Rental cars, hotel rooms, etc. Just in case...

Original review: April 2, 2018

We stayed in "Ueno Sharehouse for Backpackers" last March 21, 2018. We checked out at 10 am the next day. At around 2:30 pm, host is accusing us of breaking the cup/glass in which we even did not use as we have our own bottled water. Host is asking us to pay additional JPY 800. We appealed to Airbnb and the only thing they said is: "We feel this is fair as your host reported the damage before the next guest checked in". Clearly, they just take the side of the host. They did not review the guests' appeal carefully. What if the host is just doing that for its random guests just to take extra money.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I have stayed at various Airbnb places over several years, and while most all of them have been ok or some very nice, others simply do not live up to what is advertised and end up being "disasters". And when there have been OBVIOUS issues with customer service and the places...i.e. filthy carpets, bathroom and zero amenities as you would expect from a bnb...oh wait, even the name is Airbnb, I am told that many places are just rooms in homes for rent with many other permanent renters already living there. Not really bnb's. Well, that is false advertising.

So when I have complained with a good attitude and gave gotten denial from a few owners, I then leave honest and constructive reviews for which I am retaliated against in unfactual ways. Then other owners read and believe the lies and I am denied stays unreasonably. Crazy. I will not use their service any longer and instead even pay a little more, and often not more!...at a hotel or motel.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I was headed to Columbia for a bachelor party. Booked the wrong place due to location and also a friend that visited the location and informed me the looks were nothing like the pictures. Also was in a unlicensed building. So I called claims and tried to cancel. Airbnb informed it was the host decision and of course the host declined due to very little bookings. The full payment was 9k. They took 50 percent. I cancelled 30 minutes after booking. Their claims manager took days to respond and took the side of the host. I live check to check and they wouldn’t even accommodate a common mistake. Their concern is for their hosts not their guests because that’s their money maker. They by far have the worst customer service information. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and recommend that no one use this company. Please spread the word.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I booked an apartment on Airbnb 3 months ago. Apartment was shown available on Airbnb. Just after booking and paying I got information from host, that it was a mistake and apartment was overbooked. Airbnb didn't help to refund my money. Above all they refused to refund service fee, even though they wrongly offered an already booked room. Fortunately I had a honest host who refunded me completely. Comment of Airbnb: "It's illegal!!" NEVER AGAIN. I deleted my account. Can't recommend Airbnb.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I feel that the main problem with Airbnb is that it allows a lot of bad hosts to get business that they would otherwise not get if not for the visibility that the Internet provide them. Many bad hosts are just very good at manipulating their image and reviews on the Internet so that they can take advantage of guests to make a quick profit. I am referring to the hosts which most guests would not decide to choose if they had been able to see the place in person, that is, in those cases where there are pretty obvious gaps between perception and reality. I also had hosts giving me false names, contact information, or pretending to be medical doctors or something else about them difficult to verify and I was surprised to find out that there is no Airbnb policy to discourage that. On the other hand though, Airbnb policies are tough on guests. Not fair. Airbnb policies are too biased in favor of hosts in my opinion.

Original review: March 26, 2018

When I booked my accommodation with Airbnb I saw the big print "Free Cancellation" (up to a week before arrival). Unfortunately, I didn't read the fine print that the cancellation does not apply to the service fee. Very disappointing that no watchdog is reviewing this type of deceptive practice. What would it take to have small print directly near the words Free Cancellation? Unfortunately, Airbnb has several ways to hide information that they don't want others to see.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Airbnb Hawaii. A "charming cottage" from hell at AirBnB. We sweated it (never used Airbnb before and won’t again) it as the owner would not release the address until the day before. As a group of three (one being my 18 year old son) we came to Oahu on business in Sept 2016 for 18 days. We felt getting a group lodging might be less expensive compared to getting 2-3 hotel rooms in Waikiki.

The actual address was not what we were registered for. 1969 -10th Ave was our booking. When we arrived there was no such address. We called the host that night who corrected us to 1449-B which was a scary revelation arriving at night. Coincidence? If it had not been for the profuse and unkempt double canopy vegetation this immediate area surrounding our shack (sorry charming cottage) site reminded one of a shanty town in Calcutta or Rio. Located at the end of a narrow steep alley the cottage was built over a double carport. Our assigned slot was already occupied. No biggie. We parked in the other one. It rained almost every day and night and was very humid and sweltering hot inside. No AC. In sweat every night. Then there were the loud parties at midnight. And the procession at night of what seemed to be young locals getting their drug pickups.

Then next and almost every day the host just would come in without warning - in violation of renter law - and bring things we had to store for him: vacuum cleaners, toaster oven, carpets, bassinets, and always leaving the house partially unlocked as if to let us know he was watching us. We were three males which perhaps may have been the attractant for him. He reprimanded us for a towel draped on a seat. Yet there were cockroaches. Everywhere. The Electrical was all NEC Code illegal and run through the baseboards. Only one three prong receptacle to recharge PC within the entire 2 bedroom shack. No stove hood, no microwave, no dishwasher. No view. Neighbors on the phone at midnight sounded as if inside our bedrooms. Afraid to leave valuables anywhere. It was a trip from hell.

After 3 days out of 18 we asked Airbnb for a refund so we could book somewhere else hopefully near the beach. Airbnb pushed it on the host. Host would not cooperate. There were bed bugs, hostile or aggressive young neighbours, one of them shot a B.B. gun pellet at my other adult worker etc. Based on this one experience with host refusing to give us an address until the day before our departure (a policy so renters wouldn’t Air google it to realise it was a dump and cancel). I would never recommend Airbnb. The pictures were misleading. “Charming cottage” really meant a dump! I had to receive a month long treatment from Kaiser for the bed bugs. Embarrassing and painful. Bathroom was dirty and dank. Hardly a vacation rental. Let alone to conduct business from and commute after a sweaty noisy night with bed bugs. Will never use Airbnb again. They didn’t help at all!

Original review: March 20, 2018

This is the original email I sent to Airbnb after I called them and they asked me to type up my complaint. "I will send pics to follow after this email. I wanted to first describe the experience with Joseph in Siesta Key. This was a two day reservation totaling $3650. It was a completely overrated stay. This is a 1.8 million dollar house that should have been in pristine condition. There were many red flags upon arriving. But upon arrival we overlooked some looking forward to a weekend for my best friend of 20 yrs getaway before she gets married. So rather than a bridal shower we decided to find a place to stay where we could all gather and hang out without going anywhere. This house was definitely not what we expected. There were Cheerios on the floor by the front door. Fingerprints on all the siding glass doors. It was clear the countertops of the kitchen were not wiped down before our stay dispute the $250 cleaning fee that is required.

The bath towels were old and had stains on them. I’m talking like the host’s 10 year old towels with stains on them (they were clean) that they used prior. You can’t go to Walmart and buy 10 new towels at Walmart for charging $1600 a night? (Hopefully after my review something will change) The grounds were not kept up with palm leaves on the driveway. The pool actually looked clean but the leaves/plants should have been pulled off dead ones if you are renting this place out. There was debris like a Florida thunderstorm came through and the grounds weren’t picked up. The sheets downstairs were musty and felt like sand was on them. The bathroom in the jack and Jill bathroom had some hair in the sink and the shower was a little dirty. The place itself was picked up but it was absolutely not cleaned before we arrived. One of my girlfriends Lysol wiped everything down. It was nothing short of embarrassing.

Also there was a black Mercedes in the driveway with Illinois license plates. The owner later told me that it was the plumbers. That would have been fine if the car was just there the whole time. However, here we are, 7 women staying in a home that is set back down a street on a canal, not on a beach where we can run down. When I arrived the car was there. When we decided this was not as nice of a house as we expected it to be, we all decided to Uber to a restaurant to eat (more out of pocket expense) when we were leaving to go out, the Mercedes was gone. That was weird. Where was the person that gone in the car to drive it away prior? So someone is coming in to the property and leaving in the car?

Then when we came back from dinner, the car was back! Even more creepy. Where is this person now? I honestly was afraid to message the owner again because they, he or someone could just enter through the garage with the code where all of us were and I was afraid to call attention to it. But we all felt very uncomfortable. 2 of my girlfriends flew in from NJ for this trip. What were suppose to do?

The next morning I awoke to learning 3 of my girlfriends left. My friend was disgusted by the hair in the bathroom and shower and the 2 that flew in from NJ decided they were staying at a hotel that was more clean. How embarrassing. I paid so much money to stay in this place for 2 nights I expected a spotless, just cleaned place! I don’t care as much as the furnishings and such but I don’t want to feel grossed out even if I spent $150 for the night!

I can go into more detail especially about the car being there but if you just audit the messages between Joseph and I you will see the communication. I messaged him that we were not staying the second day and wanted a refund for that day. His response was nothing more than threatening and defensive! Is that what I should expect when I am paying all of this money? The fact that the host started to threaten that he would report me to the sheriffs office in Sarasota is ridiculous since I already paid him upfront. He told me to call his housekeeper 5 different times and take it up with them. Why would I do that? I kept asking why I should call his housekeeper. I didn’t rent the house from the housekeeper I rented it from him. He also told me to call his plumber.

I expect Airbnb to investigate this horrible host. There were 7 of us and were are all 40 something’s with class and integrity. Not to be dealing with this. I’m asking for my second night refunded since we did not even occupy the property and left around 2pm. I can’t tell you I would have much rather this all have worked out and we stayed into Monday instead of people leaving because they were upset at the way this place looked. On top of that I was not given any instructions on getting into the house or house to get on to WiFi and the tv. Seems rather simple right? Well I configure networks and computers and there was something not working right. I should not have had to ask Joseph for the WiFi. Then he provided me like 5 different passwords! What the heck?

Also the sliding glass door in the master didn’t look and we had to put broomsticks to feel secure. He told me that I was ridiculous because you can even get to the second floor anyway. Wow. Well how do I know who is watching us with this setup? Weird Mercedes coming and going and no sliding glass doors locking?? My husband said if he knew this he would have sent us to a hotel. If you look at the messages between us I hope you will see how he asked me to call his housekeeper numerous times and then his plumber to check the story. I should not have to contact anyone other than the host. I wish I would have taken more pics but I only took a few not thinking I’d be dealing with this. But I have 6 other women that were there and we will all dispute such false advertising."

So the outcome of all of this?? Airbnb never called me after my case was open for a week with promises they would call me after they investigated. Instead all I received was a 3 sentence email (no greeting like hello or sorry for our inconvenience, just a 3 sentence message) siding with the host because there was not enough evidence. I could dispute this through my bank for the entire amount, but all I was asking for was a refund for the day/night we didn’t occupy the home.

How unprofessional of Airbnb. Shame on them. My guests and I didn’t feel safe here and this owner went as far as stalking my Facebook page to take screenshots of us taking pics at night after we came back from dinner and cocktails. What were we suppose to do? Not make the most of the situation? Airbnb is completely unprofessional for not even calling me to discuss this after I called 3 times and stayed on hold for 20 min each time. This has soured all of us from ever staying at any Airbnb ever again. As a professional business woman, I’m in complete shock as to how they handled this complaint.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs