3.0/5 (1029 ratings)

About Airbnb

Airbnb Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

So I have a guest coming all the way from India. The guest only needed 13 days, due to no one in the occuping the place currently, I offered to give my guest more days due to their situation. So the guest accepted and was in great communication with me. The next day I wake up with my account being locked due to security reasons? Didn't get no email or notification to warn me, just instantly locked my account telling me a specialist will contact me. So I called Airbnb to see why my account was locked, they could not help and told me to wait for someone to contact me. Airbnb is a complete scam that hire people whom are not in the United States to take their calls. To be honest the whole platform should be cancelled. Wish I can give zero stars. Piece of trash company.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

I booked an Airbnb in Philadelphia PA for a one night stay. When I arrived on the street, the neighborhood was awful and the “free street parking” was over a block and a half away. Since I felt uncomfortable walking through the neighborhood with my possessions to get to the Airbnb, I cancelled and booked another for the night. Today, I received a notice that my review was removed because it did not follow the reviews policy. I guess I am not allowed to provide accurate feedback on the status of the neighborhood, condition of the outside of the house or parking availability. I truly believe these are relevant factors when booking, especially for a no refund property. I would have loved to have this information available before committing $200 to a place I could not stay.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

As a customer for several years I can tell you that they are horrible... The Host is always right. They don't care what you get at the house (if it's clean, decent or as advertised). This company is a scam. Don't book through them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Airbnb is just a SCAM!!! Avoid. I have hosted a guest since August 2022 and the payment till today didn’t reflect to my account. I have been in touch with Airbnb support since then and asked them to share the SWIFT confirmation number they have been for whole 3 months trying to get this number from what they call “payment processors” at the end they shared with me a cropped document that shows a different account number than mine and with a different currency and doesn’t show either the bank that sent the transaction or the bank that received the transaction. Complete SCAM – AVOID Airbnb.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

After creating an account, passing the account review, making and confirming my reservation, and receiving confirmation emails three weeks ago, the day before my flight and 8 day stay I received an email that part of my money had been refunded and my entire booking had been canceled. No reasons, just that my money would be returned to me in 10 days.

When called and asked why a month after my account had been suspended for review, AirBnB customer support said they weren’t allowed to tell me why any of it happened, just that it had and there was nothing they could do, and that a special security team would call me promptly to resolve the issue. Customer service confirmed that I had all the up-to-date information and paperwork, and I had correctly submitted all forms. Still waiting on that call. Here we are with non-refundable plane tickets and nowhere to stay for a week in the middle of a heavy snowstorm. Shame on us for trying something new while visiting family.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Book a vacation rentals for January. Paid half. A family emergency occurred so we can't go. Even got the extra insurance. Thoroughly read their cancellation policy. Nowhere did it say they would keep all of our money but they did. NEVER BOOK WITH AIRBNB. It's a scam and they allowed to keep your all your money. Customer service is worthless and no help.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

In June my wife and I had a reservation for a Bend, Or. AirBnB. However, the host was medically impaired, could not answer the door, and had long covid. She agreed to a refund and we received this refund. However, Air B and B told us they would pay for one night in a hotel, non Airbnb because it was too late in the day to arrange another Airbnb.

The company agreed to reimburse us for $219, the cost of the one night hotel. I wrote six letters requesting that the company pay us what was promised. Most calls were answered out of country, extremely poor language skills. I have given up, this company is not ethical, and I rate the company a zero for customer service.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

When the rental is filthy with pubic hair and other hair and dirt all over, it means nothing to the company. They will not cancel rental or give a refund. Frankly they have your money and don’t care after that. Ignore anything they say or imply. The bottom line is they provide no guarantees of cleanliness, smell, internet, heat or a else. You are renting from a stranger with no guarantees from company. They do not police the rental owners.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

Our host has cancelled the afternoon our stay was supposed to begin. We were driving the whole day and the signal was not the best, so we relied on Airbnb agents to find us a proper alternative. We started resolving the issue at 3:30 pm and by 10:00 we have no place to go. The cheapest place we can find now is three times the place we originally paid for. The customer service is extremely incompetent, promising us to call and completely ditching our case. We have been talking with more than 5 agents already, but nobody was able and willing to help us. I have never experienced something similar. BIG, BIG JOKE. Invest your money elsewhere, it is not worth it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I am writing this review because I wish I had known this prior to booking with Airbnb. I’m sure this isn’t the first time this has happened. I submitted a negative review on the company’s site regarding a host and it was taken down despite the negative review that the host wrote about me being allowed to remain. Long story short. The host falsely accused us of breaking the handle on her stove. We were there 48 hours and literally never went in the kitchen. There were other damaged appliances in the home. This was my first Airbnb experience and I didn’t realize I needed to take pictures of everything, to protect myself from lies.

The day after we checked out the host made the claim. I message her and told her that we had not damaged her stove and asked for before and after pictures as proof. Never receive them. She then told me that I didn’t have to worry about it because “this is what (she) has to do in order to file a claim with Airbnb.” She then submitted a negative review stating this lie and saying that despite this, we left the place clean. So we left your home clean but damaged your stove handle, which was obviously broken, and instead of trying to fix or hide that we had broken the handle we just left it like that and lied about it. I think not. That doesn’t even make sense. I felt other guest should be aware of this before booking with this host.

I told no lies in my review. I simply stated that the host lied about damages. I did this immediately. Even Airbnb has it documented that my review was submitted within 48 hours. That was 1 year ago. I get notice a few days ago that Airbnb took my review down because it was retaliatory. I thought this was absolutely ridiculous. I subsequently received several messages from Airbnb as well as a phone call trying to convince that it was ok for them to do this. It’s not even the fact that the host lied about us damaging the stove, because we never had to pay a penny extra. The fact that guest reviews are removed is outrageous, to me. That’s the purpose of reviews, so that people will know about the experiences of others so that they can make an informed decision. Had I told a lie about the host, then I could understand them removing the review.

I stated the positives of the stay but also related the fact that the host lied and submitted a bogus insurance claim and then left me a negative review about me that contained a lie. This may lead to other host not wanting to book with me. I stated that was the reason for my 1 star review. How exactly am I suppose to rate a host that lies?? Also it’s not fair that other guest aren’t warned. Unless they contain lies, reviews should not be taken down. Beware when you are booking through Airbnb, you don’t know what all guest have actually experienced since the host can request that reviews be taken down and Airbnb will actually comply. Also don’t trust a platform who favors the host. I think both guest and host should be protected and respected equally.

I asked the Airbnb rep outright, did the host submit before and after pictures to prove the damage? The answer was “ I can’t verify that” then my review should have been left up. As the Airbnb rep told me “(they) are a third-party who were not there” exactly, so how dare you silence my voice in this situation. The lie the rep told is that they are neutral. Not when you take down one review because it doesn’t shed the other party in a good light but leave up the other review, that contains a lie about the other party. Like I told them they are only hurting the Airbnb platform as well as future guest. I will never use Airbnb again because it places the guest at the mercy of the host. I don’t need that potential stress when I’m trying to take a vacation. Much easier to stay at a nice hotel or resort.

Airbnb author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

Airbnb Company Information