1.10/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

363 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Recently rented a place and the owner kept my deposit saying that we scratched his fridge door yet we are positive it was his cleaner. He charged us $300 for a scratch and AirBNB allowed him to do this even though he never repaired the scratch. He got a fake quote and they allowed it. I have only gotten great reviews and am always very careful. AirBNB refused to keep open communication with me and immediately charged my credit card.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I called in August regarding issues on my account not letting me book a place. I’ve called multiple times, and have not received a callback. Have been told there’s technical difficulties and that’s why they haven’t called back... So there’s been technical difficulties for 7 MONTHS?!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had booked a condo in the middle of June for a December vacation. My wife and I were already in Huatulco when the host cancelled on us two days prior to moving into the condo. Airbnb gave me a $92.00 credit to put towards another property. With only two days before we required a place to stay I booked another property which ended up being 6 times the original booking. I have read and re-read their policies on Host cancellations and have been going back and forth with Airbnb to get this resolved. I am going on three months now and they keep putting it to a different customer care department. I have copied all my correspondences with them and have shown them their own policies in regards to a Host cancellation. Just wish that they would come forward and say, "Sorry we were wrong and here is your refund." For a company that brags about its platform being built on trust they certainly don't follow through.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Beware of Airbnb. Airbnb does not physically review any existing Homestay in the Airbnb site. Hence, there are homestay which might not be there at all. Host of Homestay Beware. Airbnb confirmed and accepted a reservation for my homestay. That means that guest have paid and good for check in. Guest check in on 14 Feb 2019 and check out on 16 Feb 2019. I notice that the particular payout was not been process in my Airbnb Host Dashboard.

I ask Airbnb about it and they said that guest did not make payment and there were some payment issues on the guest side. Hence, Airbnb does not want to admit their mistake and said that they have contacted customer to pay. Therefore my payout will not be due to me, unless the customer pays up. But why did Airbnb inform me before guest check in. Now they want me to wait until the cows come home or unless the guest pays, I can kiss my money goodbye. BEWARE OF AIRBNB. CONFIRMED RESERVATION IS NOT PROOF OF PAYMENT FOR YOUR HOMESTAY RENTAL.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

You guys ** suck. Thanks to you all I’m in the middle of Miami sleeping in my car with 3 children and you guys don’t give a ** and I had a reservation since 10 days ago. Waited 10 hours and never had my issue solved. I ended up sleeping in my car without a restroom and in a lil but I will have to walk into McDonald's to wash my mouth like a bomb. Thanks for ruining my vacation/anniversary/Valentine’s weekend. I been taking videos of this incident and you all are going down. My lawyer will contact you all soon. ** YOU ALL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

January 31st 2019 I checked in to Airbnb rental and an hour after the host left I noticed my asthma was kicking in and I also noticed that there was black mold surrounding the bathtub. It was also starting to give me a slight headache. I left and was there 3 hours. Immediately notified The Host. He gave me no resolution so I contacted Airbnb to request my refund and I did it within their 24 hour time frame as stated on the refund policy. It took them 11 days and they have denied my refund request and now they have blocked my ability to contact the host or them. They have not responded to me as far as supplying housing an alternate or my money back and I am not able to contact them. I paid $2,421.46 for 30 days.

During that time if I was happy with the place I would sign a lease. Obviously I'm not going to be doing that. The only solution that I received from **, my host, was for him to go out to the room without me there and cleaned up the mold with bleach or something and then put bathtub caulking over and around the entire tub covering it up. Stachybotrys can cause severe health issues including Urological and even death. You are not supposed to mess with it because it can release severe mold spores causing extreme damage to the areas or person in contact with it now or later. I'm staying on the street right now. I just spent all of my money on hotels. I need my refund immediately. I stayed three hours and never returned. I need somebody to help me contact Airbnb. The address is 16220 Alum Rock Avenue San Jose California 95127. Do not stay in this home. It is toxic.

Next I would be contacting the department of real estate because I'm sure that these homeowners do not have a mortgage that is in the parameters for an investment property as they live in the house themselves and I'm sure that they are trying to lie and fraudulently say that it is a primary residence. They receive income from this property and I'm sure that they are not reporting it either. Welcome to America. Pay your taxes.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

After making a reservation for what appeared to be a beautiful property, I learned that I am only renting a room in the condo and not the entire condo. When I called customer service to complain and cancel, they initially agreed to refund me all of my money but when it came time for the refund they would only refund half the amount saying it was what was fair to both me and the host. They are refusing to honor their commitment on the refund. This was the first and definitely last time I will ever use Airbnb!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We rented a Sante Fe model home in Phoenix, Arizona for a family event. My 85 year old Mom wanted all her daughters and their families together in one house for the event, so we chose a larger model home that would sleep 8. When we entered the property, there were no directions for check-in or check-out, or how to use the Wifi or cable TV. There was old, opened food in the refrigerator and cabinets, beer bottles in the cushion of the sofa, exposed wires on the smoke detectors, missing batteries, and missing units, as well as closet doors that wouldn't open, AND cracked/raised tile in a bedroom that was a tripping hazard.

On our second night, we were all at a family event with cousins, except my 31 year old niece had been sick all day so she stayed back at the house. While in the shower, the fire alarm randomly went off, as well as all the electricity/lights went out. Naked, and scared my niece ran around trying to figure out how to turn off the blaring alarm. (Obviously, also scared there was a fire!) We had to leave our event, but still couldn't figure out how to turn off the alarm, although over 8 text messages were sent to the Host David, who did not answer.

Finally, the fire department was called, and they cited numerous code violations in the house. The Host David claimed we pulled the alarm! When I notified the Airbnb resolution center, they spoke to the Host but not us. We were given a very small refund (50% of the one night affected by the alarm, minus fees for cleaning and service fees built into the cost of renting). Even though we had submitted photos of the smoke and fire alarms, showing exposed wires, missing units and missing batteries, as well as the cracked tiles in the bedroom; Airbnb never called me, but said that it was our fault the fire alarm was activated. Buyer Beware: Don't take showers in an Airbnb house because you will be responsible if the fire alarm goes off! I will deactivate my account and never use Airbnb again. There is no quality control and they only service the Host. This is where the money is! It is Hit or Miss, and we got a "Miss!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

So I decided to try Airbnb for our vacation. It was not cheap, but we thought we would have a more comfortable stay than a hotel. MISTAKE! The place was not comfortable! The house was decorated in thrift store furniture. Living room was old wooden outdoor furniture. Not cozy to watch movies. The closets were packed with junk, like as hoarder. I had to rearrange for room for our clothes as there were no dressers.

A chair collapsed when my daughter sat on it; my bed sank, then fell to the floor. My back was hurting the whole time. There were limited dishes so we had to buy stuff. We had to buy toiletries, though we were told by host that they were provided like a hotel. The worst was that the toilet would not flush and backed up into the shower. I had to clean up crap on my vacation!! There were two bathrooms, but we all had to share one after paying for two!!

You may think that it's not Airbnb's fault right. Well, I got home and a few days later had an email from them. I was accused on breaking the furniture, ruining the plumbing etc. The host wanted to charge me another $700! I called Airbnb, told them what happened and they told me that I would not be charged. They said that someone would call me back if they had any more questions.

I later see another email threatening to charge my card. I called them again and they said they would call back. They didn't call me back, but I got my cc bill and saw they charged me. How do they charge me to buy new furniture to replace the junk that that made my vacation uncomfortable and inconvenient? They lied to me and told me one thing and charged me anyway! Beware!! Now I have to fight this with the bank. I can't believe this!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Updated on 02/09/2019: I just spoke to a James who told me he was supervisor who he claims is higher than case manager and pretended like he was going to help me with the fact that they keep playing with me and I am due to fly out in five hrs but instead of reimbursing me they think if they keep being polite while they steal from me it will be ok. I don't understand how they cancel my reservations hours before arrival then trick me into another reservation under false pretenses. Double cross me twice then expect me to trust them not to cancel on me again? Why? If I am too ** for your LA reservation I should be too ** for your Las Vegas reservation. I see some people still believe in slavery.

Original review: Racism and robbery - First I had a reservation I paid for and qualified for. I even gave them a photo was welcomed to the property via email then when I call for the information the host heard my voice, froze up and said someone would call me. Mind you I have a flight to LA in 6 hrs. They called me at 1030pm to cancel and also cancelled the other reservation I had and promised me if I allowed them to reinstate the second they would let me rebook but when I tried they told me I could not so when I asked for my money back case manager Carl told me I wasn't getting my money back. Too bad so what if we cancelled on you late in the night the night before arrival you just have to trust us and hope we don't double cross you for the third time you keeping this reservation and just pray that we don't cancel on you again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I will never use airbnb again for as long as i live. Absolutely disgraceful customer service. Literally the worst compnay I've ever dealt with in my life. So me and my partner are relocating from Melbourne to Sydney for work, we booked a lovely looking 1 bedroom apartmemt in Sydney's Olympic park for a week just to have time to look at apartments etc.

After leaving Melbourne 6.30 am driving all day we arrived at the apartment address. We followed the email instructions to retrieve the keys from the letterbox with the code etc, to find they weren't there? So we called the host who said there must have been a mix up with the cleaner taking them and she would call back straight away. So after 20 minutes of sitting outside on a wall waiting still no reply. So I called back, her reply was that she was just the co host and to call another guy.

So after a few attempts we got through to him to be told to our horror that the key wasn't there because somebody else already had it and apartment was double booked! So to cut a long story short we spent the next 4 hours sat in our car trying to resolve the issue, every time we spoke to someone from Airbnb they would promise to speak to the host and call us back with a resolution to our problem. We were also in contact with the host and he said he had already spoken to Airbnb and cancelled our booking. So they were not 'waiting for a reply' from the host at all! After 4 hours and 3 so called case managers we ended up with one extremely rude Airbnb employee basically say it wasn't their problem.

So we cancelled our booking completely rather than even rebook with them and booked a very nice apartment on Booking.com. So to anyone thinking about using Airbnb I would seriously think again. I have used Airbnb many times with no problems at all, but as soon as there is a problem they really do not want to know. And to top it all off apparently it's a 15 day wait to receive our refund, so we're well over $1000 out of pocket for absolutely no reason. Airbnb what an absolute disgrace of a company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I'm ** and did an 'instant booking' through Airbnb for a Chicago trip in December. 'Instant booking' means you can book instantly without host's approval. Host (**) sent me a notice saying he misunderstood what 'instant booking' meant and that the booking was too short notice so he couldn't do it. I'm only giving it an extra star because of the nice customer service handling the problem and refunding my money, otherwise I'd give it one star. I don't think I will use this service again. I found a great hostel in Chicago (Chicago Hostel) where I could stay at the last minute. Great service and I had no problems or issues.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I work for a trade show company in Southern California and we make frequent trips out to Las Vegas for various trade shows. There was a house that I saw that was available by a host named Andreas (From Los Angeles) that I wanted to book for my boss, myself, and my employees. So while I have this reserved, there were some things I had to change about the profile since it was a company profile under a former employee's name. While doing so our reservation was canceled and we were only offered a partial refund. I contacted the host about refunding the rest and he offered me a bogus special that was for $199 per night. Well, the original price was for about $150 per night. He also told me that he contacted Airbnb and they informed him that it was an error that caused the cancellation. So he was of no help to me.

I then proceeded to call Airbnb in which the first operator that I spoke to hung up in my face. Then the second individual tried to put the blame on me before it was handled by her manager who is named Diana. Diana contacted Andreas about offering a refund and he refused. Then she turned around and told me that it was me that canceled, and a full refund would not be provided. So Andreas gets a free $500 on top of the new guest who reserved his house. Good job with supporting scammers Airbnb. I will be reporting you to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Myself or our organisation will never use Airbnb again! We booked at Studio Villa Bali, located West of Denpasar, Bali and upon arrival the accommodation was nothing like how it was described. We also noted that the bedding was creased and upon further inspection, found foreign human hairs both under the covers and under the left side pillow. It was quite obvious the bedding was not freshly made and a serious hygiene issue. We checked out 4 days prior to the departure date because Airbnb help support failed to contact us to resolve the issue.

We filed for a refund and after 3 days, Airbnb sided with the host for flimsy reason, simply repeating their refund policy which we had already proved was in breach of several points listed. We strongly recommend not using this company as their claim that you can get refunds as long as you inform them within 24 hours of check-in are false. They will simply try to fob you off with a policy, regardless if your claims are valid reasons for a refund.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This was our first and likely our last time reserving accommodation through Airbnb. The Airbnb advertising was very misleading and we were very disappointed in the accommodation. We had booked 2 weeks in the sun of Mazatlán, but because the accommodation was so disappointing we changed our return flight reservations and came home a week early, even though we had paid for a two week stay at the Balboa Apartments.

On the Airbnb advertisement there were only two outside pictures, one of the attractive looking apartments next door (silly us, we thought it was what we were renting) and one of what we thought was a lap pool, but which was only a decorative pool in a courtyard that in its day would have been very attractive. Unfortunately, after what has probably been decades of neglect, that day has passed; visually it is unattractive, the tiles are eroded and stained and what was once a grassy area is now just a few sparse weeds.

Our complaints about the apartment itself are too many to list, but the highlights are: 1. The floors were very dirty when we arrived (they had probably been cleaned after the last rental, but construction dust had settled in the meantime). 2. The mattress in the master bedroom was filthy and stained. 3. The only cooking utensils were two rusted tin fry pans (there was not even a kettle to make tea). 4. There is no stove, only an old two element hot plate. 5. When we arrived our host a huge set of keys, but didn’t know which were for our apartment (after several tries he identified 3 and gave them to us), but the locks were in need of maintenance and very stiff and difficult to use (fortunately, I had some olive oil and used that to lubricate the locks).

6. The walls had numerous black marks. 7. There was no hot water except for small electric heaters in the shower heads (if we could have managed to cook something there was no hot water for the dishes). 8. The clothes washer leaked water all over the kitchen floor on our first use (the second time it didn’t leak, so I suspect some of the seals had dried up from lack of use).

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

The Airbnb suite we rented was falsely advertised. We complained to Airbnb who contacted the host. The host arrived very confrontational and forced his solution on us. We decided not to give any review but the host reviewed us. He made false accusations regarding our concerns saying we were demanding and refused to pay for extra services.

We weren’t asking for cleaning. We were questioning why there were only 2 towels and no access to laundry. There is no one here to address this with. Your ad lists many things that are not in the suite. This included beach towels, blanket, umbrella and snorkel equipment but none of that is here. There are safety features like smoke alarm and fire extinguisher listed but they aren’t here either. It says there is a hairdryer but there isn’t one here. It says shampoo and soap but only two single use packets of both. We had to go out and buy shampoo, soap, toilet paper and towels. Two towels for two people to use for 11 days is not adequate. Several days after we complained someone showed up with 2 beach towels. This is after we went out and bought some.

Your ad says laundry available in the building but it is not and so we had to take it to a laundry service. When we got here Isabella tried to give us a different room. It turns out the one we booked was already taken. We have enjoyed your suite despite the false advertising and that it is not hotel clean. The shower is very dirty as were the floors. It is quiet and the beds are comfortable and the location is great. We only wish we had known about needing to bring our items so we didn’t have to go out and buy them here. We wish that your advertisement was honest.

The following is the public review of us from the host: "Gord and his wife, have completely wrong the concepts of services we provide the anfrition is of Airbnb... they require cleanliness of room, change of towels, Sheets, Every day and do not want to pay an extra penny for the requested. They also want clothes laundry (Website hidden by Airbnb). I recommend them to anyone... We gave them cleaning service in an extra room and they did not give the woman that clean or thanks." The process of how to deal with the above has been too convoluted. I doubt I will ever use Airbnb again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Booked through Airbnb, Result... Stayed in Miami 48 hours. No hot water. Host didn’t give a damn. Contacted Airbnb. Result they don’t give a damn. All they want is money. This company is a shame and should be closed down.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have been dealing with them for a month now to resolve a refund issue. The account I used to purchase the stay has since been closed. I offered an alternative payment method at the start of refund process. They said no instead returned to the bank, who then returned it to them, as the account is closed. I have confirmed with letter from the bank that account is closed, and that there is no chargeback request for the charge, at which point I was directed to provide a new card for refund process. Two weeks later still waiting on refund. Managers are unwilling to reassign issue stating that only the person handling this matter can handle moving forward, but that person is continually out of office. What recourse does one have? I have never used this service before and I sure I never will in the future.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I rented a cabin at Broken Bow that said free refund within their guidelines. Due to personal reasons I had to cancel within a reasonable time frame. Then all I got was a run around by Airbnb from Christine and Rex. They just want their cut and if anything goes wrong they refuse to help. They told me if I did a bad review they would release my personal info. I consider that a threat.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I apparently did something wrong and got my access to the site revoked. To my knowledge, no complaints or bad reviews. I didn't ever leave negative reviews and had an overall good experience the 4 times I used the site. While requesting to book my honeymoon cabin, I was told my access was revoked and my account temporarily suspended. I called and I emailed to find out what I had done. A week later, I received an email saying my account was permanently closed and that they did not need to tell me why. Pretty ridiculous to not even explain how I had violated whatever policy lead to being deactivated. We booked an awesome place through VRBO. Airbnb is a dime a dozen. I'm happy to give my money to another company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

This site has hidden parameters that have limitations. One of which is the use of their gift cards. Paid down payment for rental in Puyallup WA with CC and then family members wanted to help with the trip and gifted us a gift card. Loaded it onto the site then find out you can't use it unless it was for the first payment. What kind of policy is this?! So not only is the $400 dollar gift card stuck (we can't sell it or get rid of it) we have to use on another trip using AIRBNB which will be the very last time we use them. Our mistake is we should have read reviews of this organization prior to using. VBRO is much better, used them a couple of time with great success. Will recommend the homeowner to do the same as this company is out to screw the renter...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Last summer 2018 I had an Airbnb guest for over two months at my apartment. Knowing it was going to be a long stay, I called Airbnb prior, to let them know I was concerned about the utilities being included in the price. Utilities are paid per use and it is hard to anticipate what the guest will be using, mainly in summer with AC units. Airbnb told me not to worry because I would be covered by their standard agreement. After the guest had left, I received the electrical bill and it was 3 times more than what I had anticipated. I brought it up to Airbnb and the only thing they had to say was they are sorry but the security deposit can not be applied to utilities. Utilities are always included in the price. How are we supposed to estimate the electrical use for extended stays? It does not feel fair to estimate a really high number and make some people overpay.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I've been booking apartments in Europe for this summer o Airbnb. It takes a lot of time to find the right place. After a couple of weeks, I receive a message, saying they just canceled my reservation, no explanation. It happened 3 times. It's frustrating. They shouldn't allow that to happen. No doubt I will book using Booking.com from now on, you can rely on that company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I host was manipulated with the photo posted to the profile to mislead customers. I shared my feedback with Airbnb Support. They compensated me at the checkout by 15% refund of the fees. One day later, the host raised a claim against the security deposit. Claiming that I had smoked in the apartment and the key was not in the lockbox. He photoed the apartment after my checkout time, he put leftover of cigarettes and tobacco everywhere in the apartment. He shared this photo with Airbnb.

I replied that I was with my family and 2 kids. and I never smoked in my life. and I didn't smoked in his apartment at all. Obviously, I don't have picture about how well I left the apartment, I took all the garbage to the trash outside and made sure to clean and organize everything but I didn't took any photo, first because I was not asked to, second I never thought that Airbnb Host will unethical false claim such things. What makes me very surprised, Airbnb decided to charge this against my deposit without letting me know, and then when I discussed they said it's final decision. I had to call my bank to block the card and investigate. I don't trust this platform anymore... Period.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

On January 1/24/19 I made a reservation using Airbnb, this was a late reservation at a place I was not familiar with (Bedfordview, Johannesburg, Nico Hotel). The reservation order was simple but it was what happened that left me disgruntled. My guest who I had an argument with stormed out the room and damaged tiles on the apartment front door. I then reached out to the host to get assistance and get the police involved, this instead was the beginning of the nightmare. Instead the residential security approached me, instead of asking what had happened or what is going on they were aggressive and instead choose to attack me, next thing I know I have been sucker punched the aggressor running away.

I filed a case with the police and have pursued charges. Now what left me speechless was that my account was shut down instead without cause and trying to reach Airbnb customer service has not been helpful. Am seeking damages and will be filing legal case against them as well. I would against them, my advice is not to use their service as they do not care to hear both sides and do not have proper due process. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I needed to spend 3 months in Albuquerque, NM in 2019. I booked my stay at The Whoozle House which was hosted by Mark ** through Airbnb for January 29 through April 28, 2019. The booking was made and paid for on September 2018. During the interim I continued to confirm my reservation with the host and he said it was on. When I arrived after a 13 hour flight from overseas I called the host to inform him of my arrival date and time in Albuquerque and get directions for picking up the key. He acted like he wasn't even aware of my reservation. After a bit of conversation he remembered and then he told me he was sorry it was already rented out. I reminded him that we had a confirmed paid reservation. He wasn't concerned and had no remorse about breaking the contract and failing to notify me.

To find something else in Albuquerque at that late date for that length of stay is impossible unless I pay almost double. I spent 8 hours on the computer looking and I couldn't find any similar accommodation in the price range I had booked The Whoozle House for that long of a stay. That is why I booked so far in advance. Airbnb was no help at all. I contacted them and they took 8-10 hours to get back to me. They said the reservation had been cancelled and they could apply the funds to a new Airbnb reservation or I could ask the Host for a refund (which would take up to 10 days or more). They didn't offer any compensation or help. If the Host had had an emergency that is understandable but he had booked the place to some traveling nurses and they wanted to extend and he failed to check his calendar and told them they could extend.

Airbnb totally protects the host and the "guest" is completely screwed. Now there is a struggle to get my funds returned. Suffice it to say that neither Airbnb nor Mr. ** are ethical or trustworthy. Think twice before you consider booking with Airbnb because apparently this happens often. Furthermore there is no recourse or compensation for the guest. In the future I will only book through ethical and reliable site - NOT AIRBNB. They are simply untrustworthy.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I'm a single female living alone and I Airbnb my guest room. I had my listing set to auto book so that guests can automatically book and got several STRANGE people with questionable pictures, profile pictures that were not of them, disturbing messages, and people with terrible reviews. Like literally a guy wanted to be a nudist in my home and when I asked him if he was serious he tried to start an argument with me, "Is this funny? Why do you think this is funny?" YEESH! SCARY! I don't want him in my house! No thank you! I was able to cancel these auto books, but only got 3 cancellations allowed per year!

So I set my listing to where the guest would have to request the dates and I would be able to screen them by looking at their reviews and if their picture was normal and appropriate... WELL Airbnb just changed their policy so that if we set it to where we can screen the guests, we will not be able to see their picture or their reviews until we confirm them. What's the point of screening them if we can't see their past reviews from other hosts or picture? This is putting me at HIGH RISK for my safety and well being. I called inquiring about this policy and the rep said they did it because "for example, people can deny guests because of their race." Well, okay, that does suck, but you know what? Who cares? The guest can find another room easily.

There are hundreds of listings in each city. The host is not a corporate business and not a hotel with security. Hosts should be able to run their home as they like to. This company is corrupt. What's it gonna take? Someone being ax murdered in their home because the person did not have their correct picture? I'm at high risk for sexual assault by these people coming into my home who I now am not able to screen. Get ready for a lawsuit from someone after a lot of people get hurt. Terrible policies from this company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I had two reservations cancelled at the last minute in Tokyo. As part of my refund, Airbnb issued me approximately $3,500 in credit which they told me I could use for future stays at Airbnb. I used up a little less than $800 for a stay in New York and another $300 for a stay in Boston. Today, when I went to make another reservation, I was told by Airbnb that the $3,500 in credits were actually two individual coupons, one for $1,500 and another for $2,000 -- and that each could only be applied once. This was the first mention of this and essentially they're telling me I blew the vast part of my credit by using it for short term stays. NEVER did they mention this. Buyer beware on any and all transactions with this company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

The matter first began when Airbnb froze payment on my account. I opened a simple ticket to inquire why. First Airbnb said I had to fill out a US tax account form. This was false as I am in Canada. I spent time and money trying to resolve the matter based on this false advice. Next Airbnb said I needed to become a business and provide my business details. Again I investigated. This was also false. Lastly it was a simple matter unrelated to what Airbnb support told me. I then asked to escalate this horrible matter when I was given blatantly false information and to be given a chance to provide feedback on the specific conversation.

After wasting my time telling me they’re working on it behind the scenes but can’t talk to me about my own ticket they had the audacity to tell me I was making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Because of how poorly this has been handled I feel very unsafe hosting on Airbnb. Moreover I have not received any confirmation from Airbnb on what they did wrong. They are sending me cookie cutter generic responses that don’t relate to my issue. I have an outstanding case with Airbnb that is currently being held by Alex. He refuses to give me a ticket number so I can reference our conversation. He has been most unprofessional and unhelpful and keeps trying to close the ticket without resolving anything.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We will never use this dishonest, greedy, immoral company again. Airbnb rented us an illicit rental apartment in an Atlanta apartment complex. As we found out once we were there, the complex does not allow Airbnb rentals. The host gave us and dozens of other Airbnb renters the security code to the front gate of the private complex and access to all the complex facilities. We were kicked out of the apartment. I notified Airbnb that the host is not allowed to rent out her apartment in this complex and that I want a refund. Airbnb refused to refund ANY of our payment. I gave them the number for the main office in the complex. Not only did Airbnb not bother calling the complex, they continued allowing the host to rent the apartment, knowing full well that the rental is illicit.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs