2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

Airbnb Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

Airbnb always worked for me. Honoured all agreements. I have stayed in 2 diff. private Airbnb apartments in Barcelona, 1 in Vienna, and 1 in Bordeaux. I have stayed in someone's home (house or apartment) in seven different Airbnb's England (in one of them three times in three years) and in houses that were part or all rooming houses in 4 locations in England. In Canada, 7 times in someone's home (Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver) and four times in an apartment in Toronto or Victoria. They have all been as advertised. When I left early due to dissatisfaction, I was refunded the amount (the host agreed to my leaving). When I lost a key to a lock, the host wanted $700 to install a new lock. Airbnb paid him $350 and didn't expect me to pay anything.

Except in a couple of homes in England, my hosts have been great people, well-travelled, interesting, and flexible. Or least unobjectionable. Nowhere has ever been dirty in any way. I post this to balance the many complaints and accusations. I have never rented in the US, although I have stayed in some pretty sad cheap hotels in parts of California, N. Carolina, and Virginia.

My main concern is that I can't find my reviews or reviews of myself checking today (June, 2019). The level of customer service seems to have declined. The one agent I talked to seemed rather dim and to reading from a list of responses which were only tangentially related to my query. An attempt to communicate with "chat" was unhelpful, and again involved answers that didn't quite square with my questions. I suspect that the responder ("Adam") was a computer program. My problem was minimal and I worked it out myself.

Original review: June 9, 2019

The hosts were very welcoming, the home was exactly as pictured, the room was very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was superb (fresh cut fruit, made to order eggs or pancakes). Hosts communicated about everything from my booking through my arrival and until my departure. They were lovely people to get to know, as was the other guest.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

No complaints and only praise for Airbnb. Easy to use. Very responsive. Great choices. And if you are a good guest, the hosts love you. When I have used Airbnb and even when I stayed for a month, the hosts have told me that I could come back and stay anytime. You review the host and the host reviews you; this helps your choice.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Once I was able to get into the place with the code, it was fine. If I didn't have someone nearby though, I would have ended up sleeping in my car. I had asked for the code to get in and she told me that I would get it later. Once I was on the plane, I couldn't get in touch with anyone. Once I landed, I still had not heard from the "super host". The last time I tried was sitting in front of the place in the rain. The people next door were not happy, since I rang their doorbell and asked if they were able to let me in, which they were not. I was able to get in the next day.

After the trip, I did contact her and asked to be compensated for that night, that I was not able to stay there, because of her. She was willing to give me $50 credit that's all! I did not accept, and contacted Airbnb and they stood by their host. So nothing. Here I was all alone a grandma, going to visit my new grandson, in the rain. In an area I was not familiar with. I had used bnb before and had no issues. Beware of Airbnb.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I see all these bad reviews of Airbnb but my experiences traveling with my son & his wife have been great. Used Airbnb for a condo in Hollywood, FL February 2019 and it was exactly as described. Over the years, we also used them for an apartment in New York City, a condo in Chicago and a condo on the boardwalk in San Diego. All of these experiences were perfect. Whenever I have a question and call them, I actually get a friendly human being. The world isn't perfect, sometimes things can go wrong. Recently I made a reservation for next February 2020 (10 months away). A couple weeks later the host cancelled it. Airbnb gave me a $200.00 credit for my next trip!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I paid for an "experience." The location given on the website (both the map and the location pointed to in "get directions") was incorrect. I went to that incorrect location, obviously didn't find the "experience." I found out later that the host had messaged the corrected location 1/2 hour before the event. Well, I'm a foreigner without cell service in this country and didn't get the message until way too late. After almost three weeks and some hectoring, I have gotten about 2/3 of my money back. Airbnb keeps their cut even if you don't get the experience and it's not your fault. I won't use Airbnb "experiences" again until they change this unethical refund policy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I had a crazy person come and rent my place. She started off with insane and unusual demands which I accommodated. When she got here and decided to stay for a few hours and then change her mind. She called Airbnb and basically lied through her teeth and told them that it was a horrible place and she didn't feel safe. Airbnb, without consulting me, gave her all her money back and charged me $75. Unbelievable! The hosts are what make them their money and they treat us like crap. Screw these people. If I could give them a negative score I would.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I rented a condo on Airbnb and the A/c was out and the WiFi didn’t work. When I contacted Airbnb they were extremely helpful and issued me a refund and gave me $200 dollar coupon that they told me never expired. Fast forward to me trying to use the coupon they say it’s expired and there is nothing they can do about it. WTF. How is a coupon that doesn’t expire expired? Then the rude representative offers me $25 from $200 to $25. Are you kidding me. I ask to speak to a manager and she says that managers are not allowed to speak to customer. How does that make sense... I ask her to speak to another supervisor. She says that’s not allowed either. So basically I can only speak with her.... Airbnb if you read this I think this is a ridiculous policy. I have never in my life been told that I can’t speak to a manager or supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

If I could give negative stars I would. Booked a long term (8 months) stay with AirBNB with the clearly stated cancellation terms "Free Cancellation for 48 hours. After that, cancel before March 1 for a full refund minus the first 30 days and the service fee." I had paid the 'first 30 days and service fee' when I booked it, so it should have net zero - no refund and no charge, as today is January 16, over a month before the deadline to cancel. Well, just looked at the card I had on file and AirBNB charged me $2,480. I immediately was on the phone with AirBNB customer support, where I received the worst sales associate I have EVER spoken to, who was condescending, and also would not read the terms that AirBNB themselves has for their long term stays, and then also would not listen to anything I was trying to read to him from the terms.

Then, rightfully livid, I asked for his boss, where I was told that "I am a senior team member, and it's not my boss, it's my 'team lead'." Just one example of the poorest customer service I've ever received. Then, finally a manager gets on the phone, who is *marginally* better, and says she can neither confirm nor deny that the charge was inaccurate, and she will get back to me in 24 hours after investigating it. Literally, it is a madhouse of a soap opera over at the AirBNB customer support line. If they do not refund the fraudulent charge per their own terms, I will dispute it with my card company. If they can't refund it, AirBNB will definitely be seeing a lawsuit from me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I've rented with Airbnb in the past with no problem. My eMail changed, so I had to reregister to rent again. First thing in the process: you give them your phone number (get ready for more SPAM). Next, they want pictures of your driver's license (back and front) or your passport ID pages. Wow! You now have given them your name, birth date, address, license or passport number, and your signature. They make no guarantee about protecting your information. No site is immune from hackers, so you've just opened yourself up to identity theft. Forget it, I've been renting around the world for 40 years, before Airbnb was created. Many other rental sites are available and don't ask for this info. Airbnb obviously doesn't trust you and thinks every customer is out to screw them in some way. Great philosophy.

Not sure about Airbnb?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team