1.14/5
Based on 188 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

199 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Nothing but terrible experiences with Airbnb and their “services.” To say the least this company has poor customer service and does not take any responsibility for any mishaps that occur at their venues. They don’t care about their customers whatsoever or the fact that the places they post on their site could be a scam. They don’t check out any of the venues they post on their site to see if they are legit and meet their standards.

I recently stayed in an Airbnb that was evicted and then got thrown out of because I was told I was trespassing and staying there illegally after booking and paying for the place a month in advance. Customer service didn’t take any responsibility for the fact that this place was a bogus rental on their site and even went so far as to say that that wasn’t their fault or their problem. I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours and transferred to 5 different people trying to get my refund while also attempting to figure out another place to stay since I was now homeless for the night (which they also didn’t give a ** about). Makes me wonder how many other places they post up online that aren’t safe to stay at either or if they even care. Never staying at another Airbnb and I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a lawsuit coming their way soon.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had made a reservation at an Airbnb in Quincy, IL. When I got to the place it was filthy dirty. I took about 50 pictures of the place, then sent a note to the host that I would not be staying and also contacted Airbnb with the situation and sent them pictures. After 6 weeks of trying to get my money back nothing has happened except for me getting the run around from Airbnb. The bedroom garbage can was full, bed looked like it was slept in. The towel and wash rags they left in my room for use we’re all stained green and yellow.

Floors were not cleaned in a long time. Bathroom shower had mold and dirt all over, toilet had pubic hair and urine all over them, mirrors and sink filthy. Refrigerator full of old food and dirty, the 2 sinks were full of dirty dishes, mold in some of the dishes. Stovetop had fried egg all over it. Some of the place didn’t t even have any ceiling. And the list goes on and on. Even with the pictures I provide they have not helped me resolve this matter. My best advice is to avoid booking with Airbnb, they will not take care of things they should. I have called them over a different zen times, and I keep getting passed from person to person, then nobody is accountable.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have book a home to stay with my family of 5 in Canada but after 2 weeks we have found mice in home and inform Airbnb about it. They cancelled our staying home agreement without relocating us somewhere else. Actually recommended us a place 2000 mm always where we stayed. (Recommended from Ontario to Nova Scotia by a case manager, which I have proof in my email).

Our vacation from eastern Europe to Canada became horrible. We have found a place our own in Hotel 6 with 2 bed but 5 of us. No kitchen, no extra room, no staff to cook... we made our budget planes months ago according to initial place. After making 30 calls yesterday they have not solved anything, we all mentally and physically got I'll and sick of it. Packing and unpacking twice... Theirs today recommends was $1200 more than what we planned to spend for accommodation. We didn't accept and still waiting supervisor to call me but they won't call I know. I have to call them to follow up. We stopped enjoying our vacation but waiting to know where we are going to stay until August 24th.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We booked a home through Airbnb and paid the required amount. The next day payment was canceled by Airbnb and we were asked to contact customer service. We did so and the customer service staff we talked to was unfriendly and unprofessional. He did not give us enough details as to why the payment was canceled, especially after it had gone through flawlessly 24 house earlier with the same house. Clearly there was a glitch at their end, but once confronted, they did not give any satisfactory answer and instead canceled the account. As far as we are concerned, they don't have decent customer service skills. They need a lot of improvement and training on basic human service.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I rented a boat (a 1980 Chris Craft) at the Jersey Shore (Wildwood, NJ). When we first arrived the boat was not was we expected it to be. However, I was ready for the adventure and was willing to overlook the lack of basic necessities as a result. But as time when on, we discovered there were many problems with the boat, for example we had no running water for the first week we were there, the host did not empty the commode from the previous guest prior to our arrival as he told me he still needed to do that (we arrived a day late so he had plenty of time to do this). It was more than a week after we arrived that he finally tended to the toilet and only after we complained of the stench on the boat as a result.

All the windows leaked when it rained including an area around an electrical socket, which the host knew about and said he would have to get fixed. When we first noticed the window above the sleep area leaking the host said he would fix it and it wasn't until days later when we reported the leak around the electrical socket that the host put plastic around the windows. This made the boat more sweltering hot than it originally was. The top step entering the cabin of the boat was not carpeted and constantly wet due to the plastic mat on deck which retained water. Any time one stepped on the mat the bottom of their shoes would get wet causing the step to become slippery and wet.

I took a hard fall down the stairs injuring my butt, both legs and arms and when I told the host about it he laughed. The host helped himself to our soda, milk and seasoning. Most of the amenities listed were not provided such as wifi, TV, toiletries, pots, pans, utensils (I had to buy my own frying pans), gas grill with empty propane tank, etc. I was also charged for three people and only two stayed on the boat as the third could not make it. When I discovered this, I requested my money back (after getting a good review from the host) and was denied my request by both the host and Airbnb, both of whom got very nasty with me while the host resorted to name calling and Airbnb became downright insulting, and both denying my request for a refund.

I was told that the fee included up to four guests on the boat which is not what my itinerary says and was not listed that way when I first rented the boat. After reading reviews about this company I discovered that many vacationers had the same experience with Airbnb. It seems that Airbnb does not screen the people they represent as hosts and have no clue as to what it is these hosts have to offer. It's a hit or miss operation and if you get a good spot "great!" But if you get a dud "too bad." It seems that Airbnb always sides with their hosts regardless of the complaints against the host and never agrees to return money once they collected it from the consumer. I will never do business with this company again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Customer Service is unhelpful and degrading. Had an issue with a service they provided, which was a clear violation of their terms and policies, but the customer service agents failed to recognize it. And after several messages, just stopped responding. Seems like they will say anything to get out of actually providing real help.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We have used Airbnb for the first time. We booked an apartment in Prague in August 2018. We were happy with the apartment... nice and clean, well equipped and quite central. Metro station, supermarkets and various restaurants at walking distance. The hosts were very helpful before we arrived at the apartment. However, things changed drastically once we arrived there. The apartment was so hot! We were fully aware that there was no air conditioning in the apartment and it happened to be a heatwave. So, we asked for two extra big fans (or at least one more) as there was only one small fan since the apartment was simply unbearable to stay in.

The host replied that: (a) no provision of fans was listed in the apartment listing, and (b) that there was no one to pay for the fans since she was not the owner of the apartment. We didn't even find any help from Airbnb. We contacted Airbnb on the very first day of our stay and received an email about three days later saying that someone would contact us soon. But no one did till Thursday, two days before our departure! A representative of Airbnb called us to apologize for what had happened and offer to pay for the fan if we decide to buy one.

We had already looked for a shop from where to buy a fan but couldn't find. We didn't need Airbnb's money or go ahead to buy a fan. But Airbnb let us alone. They simply didn't care less. You don't call someone two days before his/her departure. Airbnb and the host should have done their best to accommodate us. After all we were just asking for an extra fan. Not a big deal in reality but it would have helped make our holiday merrier. We won't be using Airbnb anymore. This small incident has ruined our holiday. You should be ashamed of your attitude.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

On 24 July I requested a booking for 7 days with Airbnb. It was refused by the owner but AU $400 was still deducted from my PayPal account. Airbnb promised (by email) a refund within 7 days. Today is August 14 and still no refund. Any suggestions as to a course of action?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

First of all I’m sure there are amazing things about Airbnb, I was just unfortunate and didn’t have a great experience! We booked a stay through Airbnb for my dad's 50th birthday... the information included “sleeps 8 and has 3 bedrooms”. You could clearly see two rooms had queen beds, but then the 3rd looked like two twins beds. The host confirmed that it was twin beds, so I assumed (it sleeps 8) there must be a pull out couch. Thinking two couples could stay in the queen rooms, we could sleep on the pull out couch and my toddler (age 2) could sleep in the room with two twin beds.

Coming to find out after I had it booked that it has two double beds in one room, what two couples want to sleep in the same room on vacation, my son also enjoys his own room, he’s a light sleeper and everything wakes him... so now we have to suck it up and sleep in the same room as my toddler who will probably wake as soon as we open the bedroom door or give him his own room and sleep in the same room as another couple (perfect if we were camping but not on vacation trying to relax) OR lose $600. Obviously I pick to stick it out rather than losing all that money plus spending another $1200 for a more suitable chalet.

After the miscommunication and info I received, Airbnb could not seem to understand that we want to be comfortable and enjoy our vacation so they will not give us a full refund because I booked 10 days before our stay and not 14 (full refunds are only given 14 days before and before 48 hours of reservation being made). Booking.com do bend the rules. I know because I’ve gotten a full refund from them because they have the decency to bend the rules for miscommunication, I even got my money back from them because I had to work last minute, and it was 2 days before our reservation!! Good luck to anyone who book last minute and book through Airbnb, hopefully your experience is better than mine. (:

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Rude and unreliable. You might get lucky and have a good experience but you lose your hard earned money if you are not. Airbnb doesn’t take responsibility of an ill maintained home. Don’t go for it. I ended up in a listing where my father and I got sick within an hour of getting in because it smelled so bad, old and dusty. There was evidence of rodent infestation and the host sounded pretty unapologetic about it! I had to leave and go to a hotel. Upon contacting Airbnb they said since I didn’t give the host “a chance to fix the issues” I won’t be given any refund. Like, how can you fix the first impression of a guest who sees a book eaten at the corner by a rodent in a home you paid for?! Doesn’t it imply that you don’t maintain the house like you should have and now that you are caught, you want to try covering up? I didn’t get my money back - my hard earned money, but I am writing the review so that it can help at least one person!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

When I was looking to book a stay, Airbnb's website said I would not be charged at booking, which I wanted because I wanted to pay in cash. Well, I was charged. I canceled right away thinking I did something wrong, re-booked, and was charged a second time. I kept the second reservation. I also noticed I did not receive my $40 credit for being referred. My referring friend did not receive her $20 credit either. I tried contacting Airbnb which is a complete JOKE!!! If you're fluent in English, expect to not receive a fluent speaking associate if they even feel like returning your call at all. I was told my account has been activated for 2 years therefore, I was not eligible for a credit.

I explained this was not true for I just created this account and if it was 2 years old, the registered name is different. Airbnb still refused to give the credit. Therefore, I have canceled my whole stay with Airbnb and will not ever use this website again. Now, I'm only to receive a partial credit and Airbnb is keeping their fee and taxes. No service was rendered therefore no charge should apply and with no charge should come no tax. This website is only one word, SHADY! At the end, I wish I would've done research on the reviews way before I booked. Grrrrrr.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When booking rentals through Airbnb. There isn't any explanations about the "type" cancellation your HOST has on their property, until you cancel, then that is when you find out WHAT TYPE you have on your stay. The site doesn't say 50% of the TOTAL RENTAL FEE DUE (even though you may have only paid the 1/2 that is required to hold your reservation), it just says 50% refund. Airbnb site also says cleaning fees are ALWAYS refunded, but that hasn't been the case either. VERY DISAPPOINTED in this as to I had 2 separate reservations I just cancelled (1 was not my choice but the other was because of this situation), lost $981.70 (only refunded $12.77 of $875.40 reservation and $31.68 of $1088 reservation))!!! GUYS, this is so unfair!!! RIDICULOUS!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I booked an apartment in Toronto on July 6, for six days in August. My account was charged for half the amount of the rental. Without notification, my reservation was cancelled. I only learned of this when I checked the Airbnb website yesterday, a few days before check in. I contacted Airbnb Customer Service, and after several attempts, I spoke to a representative. The representative said the host had cancelled (the host said Airbnb had cancelled). There was no explanation as to why, or why I hadn't been contacted. The representative said she was sending the file to a case manager in her group and I would hear from them. I haven't heard anything, even though I have followed up with the representative twice. Because it is so close to check in, it cost me 40% more to book a comparable apartment. Airbnb doesn't take responsibility for anything---it should be regulated the way hotels are. They should be accountable.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am currently visiting England from the US. Today, I found out that due to a “glitch” in their system Airbnb has cancelled my accommodations for tomorrow. I am now in a foreign country with no place to stay. I spent ALL day on the phone with them and they do completely admit it’s their fault. The case managers and supervisor said they were going to call me back and then they never did. They insisted on corresponding only through messaging on their app and would just stop responding. This has been an awful experience and after 6 hours they just texted me a $100 coupon. As if that could possibly make up for what they’ve done. I will NEVER use Airbnb again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Wow! After $877.00 later, hours on the phone, lots of correspondence with the Airbnb Caseworker, who can’t even seem to figure out how many days we actually booked or what actually happened, I’m amazed at the incompetence. I took photos of everything to prove our case. The place looked nothing like the photos and had not been kept up or maintained at all. Airbnb is not even able to negotiate with the host on behalf of a 5 star rated guest with Vacasa, a real estate company who is listing on Airbnb as a “host” who is mismanaging 91 thousand properties as stated by the host when we contacted them immediately upon arrival to the nightmare location. In all our years of traveling the world, we’ve never experienced anything like it.

Keys missing from the lockbox upon arrival, propane smell inside location, exposed hot electrical wires outside in a “no burn” zone Mount Hood during forest fires, no/low drinking water with a note warning us not to use much water (what does that mean?), an axe by the front door, and signs of ritualistic worship in the woods behind the house, and a distinct feeling of being watched by all adults in our party. Airbnb has no concern about the integrity and reputation of their company or the safety of their guests-and neither does Vacasa. We’ve stayed many times, and have loved Airbnb until now. It’s great until you have a problem, then forget it. There’s no guarantees because the place we booked looked amazing online.

The title “Memorable Stay in Cottage”. Yes, memorable. It was a horror movie waiting to happen. I provided photos of every situation and yet no concern for what happened to us. We’re not afraid of anything, but we practically ran to the car to leave this place. If they were customer service driven, they would refund the entire stay plus the expense we incurred having to find somewhere else to go. I even reached out to the CEO @bchesky and Co-founder @joegebs on Instagram and still no help. Do not book with Airbnb or Vacasa “Anywhere“. Vacasa lists properties with the name of the location in front of the word Vacasa. We booked with “Oregon” Vacasa. Be warned, this has been a nightmare for my family.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have usually been satisfied by the accommodations from Airbnb. Not this time. We were located close to the California town of Visalia. After a long drive, we checked in (Airbnb near Sequoia National Park). To our horror, the air conditioning was not working, and it was 100 degrees outside. Fortunately, they fixed it partially the next day. But then a swarm of ants and many mice greeted us. We left the place early. Clearly the home was not maintained at all. If you can't find a park lodge to live in, don't go at all. The distances are long and the Airbnb homes are not habitable.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I tried to cancel a reservation I made for Sept 28-30 in Worcester, Ma. I could not find the reservation or easily find a phone number for Airbnb. After three phone call and half an hour I finally found a person who would send me an email confirming that there was no reservation.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

As their new update policy, they force us to accept it and upload our government issued ID for identity verification. But they do not mention how they can protect our ID from being stolen. I don't believe they have this ability. Besides, including Amazon and any other website, no one ever requires government ID, they should not have the right to do so. It's unfair policy for customers. Thus, I canceled my account, and I will tell all my family and friends to cancel theirs as well.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

July 2018, a group of ladies booked an Airbnb in Atlanta. The place was unclean and in a less than desirable location. Upon calling the host and getting nowhere we contacted airbnb and reported the condition of the unit and expressed our concerns. After many phone calls back and forth we ended up at the Marriott and Airbnb did absolutely nothing for us. I would NOT recommend this business to anyone as it seems they back the hosts but do nothing for the patrons.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Guest showed up late, locked herself out and refused to take a full refund and go someplace else. Guest trashed me and the place and claimed things completely false or lies with the exception except perhaps in brain, obviously with issues! Airbnb had photos and confirmation of issues and FAILED any conflict resolution! Airbnb allowed a FALSE review to stand and then decided to ban me from their program when "Safety and Security" decided they did not want to deal with my persistence and disappointment in delayed payments!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently booked a reservation for a September trip to my hometown in Michigan, a trip I take yearly with my mother and my sister, all of us flying in from different locations. I used the 48-hour-cancel-for-free filter, and upon receiving the street address to the reserved listing, my 83-year-old mother determined the location was unfortunately too far from downtown for her to be able to walk to & from. So I cancelled this reservation within the 48 hours of having booked it and booked a different (and much more expensive) listing closer to downtown. To my surprise, my 48-hour-cancel-for-free refund did not include the $160.95 service fee, which I took to be a clear error on Airbnb’s part, as nowhere on their 48-hour-cancel-for-free filter is it specified that the service fee is non-refundable.

So I called customer service to request that this error be corrected - and instead of responding by issuing both the full refund and an apology for my trouble, I was told by customer service rep “Pam” that this matter needed to be “escalated” in order to verify “the reason” I’d been charged the service fee. There of course was no “reason”, Pam herself had just verified that I had indeed canceled well within the 48-hour cancellation window, it was clearly simply a mistake on their end. But Pam explained that while she too couldn’t understand why I’d not been refunded the service fee, she needed to “escalate” my service-fee refund request to someone who would confirm that there wasn’t another reason for not refunding the service fee that she missed, and that anyway she had no authority to issue any refunds. What?

So in fact this person was just hoop #1 whose real job is to find a reason to NOT refund customer money. Since she could not find one, she had to send it to hoop #2 in the hope that THEY would be able to find a reason. Fine. No point speaking further with this “customer service” rep, she clearly was not there to resolve my issue if my issue involved refunding money, and that was my ONLY issue. So she gave me a ticket number for reference but sent no email or written documentation of any sort to confirm that this conversation had even taken place. Having no confidence I’d hear from anybody I called my credit card company and opened a complaint on this charge. That call took 2 minutes.

Three hours later to my surprise I received a call from an Airbnb “customer experience” rep named Charm, apparently the one who does have the authority to issue refunds. This conversation also did not go well. Charm began by “verifying” the reason I’d cancelled - which was of course irrelevant to this discussion - but I answered anyway, thinking I might as well be cooperative. That was a mistake because this led Charm to actually ask me if I’d be willing to offer “medical documentation” of my mother’s disability, to which I replied absolutely NOT, that the only thing that mattered was that I’d canceled well within the 48-hour window, which meant that THEY were the ones who needed to provide ME with my FULL refund.

Unbelievably, rather than responding to the 48-hour cancellation aspect, this rep continued on her own skewed line of reasoning about WHY I had cancelled, explaining that she “had to” ask me these questions because she saw I’d booked a different reservation in place of this one, basically insinuating that I was lying about my “real” reason for canceling. I repeated YET AGAIN that “why” I canceled was irrelevant to the 48-hour filter, and that if anyone needed to provide proof of anything, it was SHE who needed to provide ME with proof that stated ANYWHERE in Airbnb’s 48-hour cancel-for-free filter is disclosure of a non-refundable service fee even when canceled within 48 hours. And incredibly, she had the gall to then put me on hold so that she could try to find such documentation - which of course does not exist! Obviously I hung up.

A few hours later I received a message in my Airbnb inbox from Charm, making no mention of the 48-hour cancellation policy (of course) but telling me she’d be refunding the service fee “as a one-time courtesy” (as though she was doing me a favor) and stating that she’d be happy to answer any questions or concerns I might have. I wrote back immediately, reiterating that I did not understand this refund to be anything other than a given, again stating I’d cancelled within 48 hours.

The next morning Charm sent me a totally absurd self-contradicting, nonsensical reply, first “explaining” that for a full refund I was supposed to cancel at least 5 full days before the day of check in (Huh??? Day of check in was to be September 19, I canceled July 22)... and then “explaining further” that she saw I’d booked at 10:59 am July 20 and canceled at 8:29 am July 22 (uh, yes, exactly, so 2.5 hours within the 48-hour window) but that because my local time zone is PST vs EST (Michigan time zone) my cancellation was “beyond 48 hours on the host’s local time”. Absolutely absurd. Her very own notes stated the time stamps verifying I was absolutely not “beyond” my 48-hour cancellation window in any way, shape, or form, yet she concludes the opposite.

So, apparently this is the best that Airbnb “customer experience” reps can come up with: Just throw out one illogical, nonsensical reason after another in an attempt to gaslight their customers into “understanding” that Airbnb has a RIGHT to retain a mischarged service fee, when in fact they absolutely do NOT. Either this “admit no wrong” approach is their MO, or else they’re just totally incompetent, poorly trained, and frankly lacking in basic logical reasoning. Either way, this was the first time I’ve had cause to call Airbnb customer service in the 6 years I’ve been booking with them, and now that I know what I can expect from Airbnb’s “customer service”, I will NEVER book through them again. And I caution anybody who continues to book with this company to get themselves ready for this type of absurd exchange if ever the need to contact customer service arises.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

First time user of Airbnb. HORRIBLE experience. Cannot recommend and will never reuse. Completed online registration. Booked room. Owner writes back that, "I am not comfortable with you." Taken aback as I was listed as "verified" by Airbnb, and he didn't KNOW me so how could he be uncomfortable with me? Then, searched the city to which we were traveling again. Booked. Only AFTER booking do I see that it isn't in the city I was searching but about 30 miles outside the city. Troubled by the fact that the company allows listing outside the listed destination to come up, but learned my lesson. Canceled the reservation without incident.

Next, scheduled again. PAID. Shortly thereafter the host contacts me and says she isn't ready for company and asks me to cancel. It seemed weird, and it was problem 3, so instead of just cancelling as instructed - as a normally would - I did a little research. Turns out, had I cancelled IT LIKELY WOULD HAVE COST ME MONEY! So, again, very uncomfortable and questionable conduct. Finally, schedule another place. No apparent problems - until we arrived. Sheets did not appear clean. Beds were unusable - jailhouse issue. Ceiling fan had an inch of dust. Decor above bed was visibly dusty. Still brand-new to Airbnb.

Not certain what to do. Felt trapped. Sent text message to host. He apologized and said he would refund our money. HE DID - AIRBNB DID NOT. We stayed maybe 10 minutes, but Airbnb won't refund the service fee or TAXES. HOW DO YOU COLLECT TAXES ON A RETURNED/UNUSED SERVICE OR GOOD? UNETHICAL AND, I think, illegal conduct.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We booked a condo through Airbnb for Sept 2018. From Ryan ** Of Indiana. We have a medical situation where our toddler granddaughter needs surgery, it is a have to for her health, we have to travel to Columbus Ohio in September, so we asked to cancel, Mr ** said it was not a reason to qualify for a refund. We canceled 2 months early, he can easily rerent the condo in Gulf Shores, Al. We were told there won't be a refund. That's not right, we were told to expect a refund the 26th of July, now today they said no refund. Airbnb refund policy is very unfair, be careful using this company, if something comes up, you will lose your money. I will never use this company again, nor will I recommend them to anyone, I hope Karma comes around.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have to say, I am very disappointed with AIRBNB service as on 3 occasions, host has canceled my bookings which were made several weeks ago. It resulted in me having to book again at almost double the price. I will never use Airbnb in my life again as it is so unreliable.

Original review: July 29, 2018

As a new Airbnb user, I had some difficulty with two bookings. I had to cancel and rebook. I did rebook and followed thru with the booking. They counted those cancellations against me. My family had me book a family get together and when one of the grandsons was unable to come, they asked me to cancel the reservation. It was expensive. I talked to the homeowner, when I did the booking, explaining that I would cancel, if necessary, within a week, so that he would not lose the opening. When I cancelled, Airbnb charged me a significant amount of money.

Their reason was hidden in the extensive descriptions in their website. There is an appeal process, but it is impossible to access any place on their website for an appeal. Google research found that this is a major problem with them and that many others have had this problem, were unable to appeal, had no response to an appeal, were promised a refund which never arrived, etc. I will now travel and make regular hotel reservations rather than use their company.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Tried to book a property in Halifax with Monica. Never received booking confirmation so I moved on and booked a hotel. Four days later I see an Airbnb charge on my account for $1476. Note: cancellation policy is 48 hours and 50% refund. However, it is impossible to cancel a booking in 48 hours if you don't have it. Airbnb tells me I have 2 accounts and verified confirmation email was sent. Email they sent had invalid address ending in .ccom. They probably received unable to deliver notice.

Airbnb and host just kept point fingers at each other on handling cancellation and refund of deposit. I finally got booking cancelled and freed up her property to go ahead and replace my booking. This was over 30 days prior to the original booking dates. The host had the option to refund 100% but chose instead to keep $735 sticking strictly to policy with no compassion for what had happened to me. NEVER EVER use Airbnb again. Too many great options out there to get ** like this again.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We had a problem with our vacation rental in Carolina Beach... The ad for the beach house did not say anything about how noisy the location would be... Literally we could not get to sleep until 2:30 in the morning because of the noise... When we contacted both the host Dale, at "Life's A Beach" rental in Carolina Beach North Carolina as well as Airbnb, the service we used to book the property... They basically said, "You're out of your $1,400." Obviously this will be the last time we use Airbnb, they did not help the situation and instantly sided with the property owner...

Original review: July 29, 2018

Airbnb has no idea what a homeowner has to do in order to keep the home in perfect condition for the next client. And they do not care. As long as they advertise your property and take the money. My personal contract for our beach house clearly states that trashing the house or backyard is unacceptable and carries extra fees for cleaning. However, if you ever got your house or backyard dirty and trashed, to a point that it needs double time for the cleaning service to make it ready for the next client, you cannot get any extra payment - Airbnb claims that since there is no physical damage, they do not charge extra. On top of that, the communications from their agent are sharp, negative and totally inappropriate. My tenants had the backyard full of beer cans for 2 full days, and we had to clean it on Sunday. On my expense. I HAVE TAKEN MY PROPERTY OFF THEIR LIST. We have other agencies we work with who appreciate our business.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I had an account years ago that I used with no problem. I tried to log in today to find accommodations in Charleston, SC. The AirBNB site insisted I verify my account and suggested I do so through my cell phone. When I downloaded the phone app, the site wanted permission to access my contacts. REALLY!!?? For what possible legitimate purpose? No other booking site has ever asked me for that kind of access. The next step in the process would have been to send a copy of the front & back of my driver's license, passport or visa. I DON'T THINK SO!!! Can you spell: "Identification theft"??? Message to President, Chairman of the Board, and CFO of AirBNB: "I'll send you that information on myself right after you send me the same information on yourselves!" Sorry AirBNB hosts. No business from my household!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I hosted for Airbnb and had some great experiences until this happened. One guest booked 7 nights. Then she contacted and asked to extend to 9 nights and would pay cash. She then cancelled 2 weeks prior for "personal reasons" leaving us without a booking. We found out she booked somewhere else. Point - Airbnb does not guarantee you will get paid.

Not sure about Airbnb?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Travel Sites for you.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Airbnb Company Information

www.airbnb.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business