1.08/5

Looking for a travel site?

411 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

Country Chic Nashville Airbnb BAD customer experience. My first time using Airbnb. Loved the home - clean, perfect for our family of 6 in a home that accommodates 8. First morning, we had 1 hot shower, 1 lukewarm, and 4 cold. I contact the homeowner to let her know our experience. She sent service out when we were gone, and texted me to tell me there was nothing wrong. She texted me a copy of the bill which stated the 10 yr old heater was working, they found a hot water leak to the washer (not available to renters), and they suggested replacing the water heater. They shut off the hot water to the washer. We returned home and were requested to reimburse the homeowner for the $99 service to check the hot water.

We declined, and the homeowner posted a very nasty review on my Airbnb profile stating we lied about the water. Clearly the owner knows how Airbnb works. She waited for me to leave my review which was very positive and didn't mention the water issue (not a deal breaker for us), and then posted her scathing inaccurate review of us. Airbnb stated her review of me was her opinion - clearly not concerned about facts - and wouldn't remove it. I asked to be contacted and was not. We paid the fee for the "pleasure" of using Airbnb - approximately $128, and we received horrible customer service all the way around. I've never had a problem with VRBO... so, I'll cut out the middle man that charges $$ and provides no customer service. Clearly Airbnb is there for the homeowner and NOT the customer.

Original review: April 22, 2019

On February 23, 2019 I made a reservation for 3 nights in Chicago from Sunday, June 23, 2019 - Wed., June 26, 2019. 3380 N. Milwaukee Ave, Apt. 28, Chicago, IL (Hosts **). We were going to Chicago for the Rolling Stones concert on Tues., June 25, 2019 which was cancelled due to Mick Jagger's valve replacement surgery. Still not ETA on when the concert will be rescheduled.

On April 2, 2019, I cancelled our reservation (well over two months in advance). According to Airbnb's strict cancellation policy I should have received a full refund back. (Cancel within 48 hours of booking & 14 days before check-in to get a full refund. Cancel up to 7 days before check in and get a 50% refund (minus service fee). Cancel within 7 days of your trip & the reservation is non-refundable). I even received a receipt from them stating that "My Refund was on its way". Not only this, but I feel that my cancellation should also have been considered an extenuating circumstance. This was totally & completely out of my control. I am absolutely sickened by the runaround I have been given by the Host & Airbnb.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I made a reservation after specifically reading the cancellation policy as the risk of changing dates for my vacation was elevated. I thought I understood the refund policy. I cancelled a reservation 1 month after booking, 5 months ahead of the check in date, and received an email saying I would get a refund. When I called to inquire I was told that because I didn’t pay in full (only deposit), and because of the refund policy, I wouldn’t be getting any of my $940 deposit back. The policy states “Strict Cancel within 48 hours of booking and 14 days before check-in to get a full refund. Cancel up to 7 days before check in and get a 50% refund (minus service fees). Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non-refundable.” The Airbnb staff interpret this as “Meaning to say, the reservation should be canceled within 48 hrs upon booking and the reservation should be more than 14 days.”

These 2 statements do not mean the same thing in my opinion. I also got an email upon cancellation that stated “You will receive a partial refund of $750.37 CAD.” Clear and consistent instructions on cancellation and refunds are significantly lacking with the booking process. I find this unprofessional and unethical business practices. It has been almost 1 week since I initially complained and have still not received closure on my complaint.

Original review: April 16, 2019

First of all I booked a stay in Estes Park, the resort wasn't even open due to a million dollar renovation for the dates I was allowed to book. It clearly stated my card wouldn't be charged at the time and it was plus an additional 25 bucks with a complimentary email after charging me and for what I still don't know. I canceled reservation immediately after booking and confirming with resort of the days not open, which clearly stated a 48 hour cancellation with full refund.

After canceling reservation I get a follow up email from Airbnb about no refund for my immediate cancellation and locked me out of my account stating I will be contacted via email. I called, requested my money back and it's been a week and I get the same old it's in a department that cant be reached by phone. No supervisor can help me and no status on my refund. After reading every review on this thread (which hasn't gone above 1 star) I am wondering how a company like this is still even afloat, maybe from stealing money. At the point my attorney is going to get involved. RANT OVER.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The hosts are horribly paranoid about their apartment and I believe suffer from some type of anxiety disorder. The problem is SO BAD that they BREAK THE LAW by VIDEOTAPING their guests on LIVE STREAMING WIFI CAMERA tucked next to the curtain overlooking the HIDEAWAY BED!! We arrived late at night from a late flight, got undressed and went to bed. Hubby noticed a light in the corner of the room to find CREEPY HOSTS WATCHING US BY VIDEO! Notes everywhere on how to the most basic things, like emptying the garbage and how to dry a towel.

Run far and fast from this place! We spent our 10 day vacation dealing with the police and trying to get Airbnb to refund our money which they refuse to do so now I have to take them to court. Run run run far from this apartment #534 in Makaha Valley Towers in Oahu. Hosts also have a 2nd condo in the same building on the 2nd floor which is a studio. DON'T RENT FROM THESE CRAZY PEOPLE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: April 14, 2019

Reserved a room at MGM Signature Hotel in Las Vegas between 4/6/19-4/11/19 via a host named Nat **. The host represented the room to be "sparkling clean", "well kept" and able to accommodate "up to 6 guests." It was none of those things. It was dilapidated and appeared to have semen stains everywhere. I bailed out of the room the next morning and neither the host nor Airbnb followed through on refunding my money because the host has a "STRICT cancellation policy". Which means.... we collect all your money up front and the guest has no recourse whether the property does or does not represent what it claims to be in the listing. I also wasn't offered a comparable alternative and left to my own device.

I currently have three other Airbnbs booked in Europe for this summer. Obviously I can't trust Airbnb to come through if I encounter a similar situation and that could be catastrophic being in another country altogether. Another point worth noting is Airbnb allows you to file a complaint, but they do not get back to you within the 72 hour period they promise. Airbnb also makes it nearly impossible to get someone on the phone or on chat. It appears to be a scam designed to benefit property owners, not guests. STAY AWAY!!!! Use another service or book a hotel. At least you will have recourse and someone to speak with.

Original review: April 13, 2019

We stayed in a nice place in Nashville in 2018, and rebooked for the same two months this summer. I was leery of having to put down a $2000 deposit that far in advance, but we liked the hosts and the apt. so we had to follow Airbnb's rules. BIG MISTAKE!! We ended up having to cancel several months in advance, and although the hosts quickly rebooked the place, we have yet to see a dime in refund of our $2000. We have e-mailed and spoken with several "customer service reps" and "case managers" at Airbnb, and they are simply offshore people with no ability or desire to do anything that involves returning one's money.

I plan to file a local lawsuit simply to get a court decision on the books to try and get these scam artists banned at least from my state, and heartily encourage others to do so as well, so that other innocent folks don't lose hundreds of dollars dealing with these thieves. Please do yourselves a favor and just book a hotel, or stay with friends, or anything else but give your credit card to Airbnb. It might seem like an easy way to vacation, but if anything comes up and you have to deal with Airbnb, you will lose your money, your patience and any faith you may still have in simple human courtesy.

Original review: April 13, 2019

We booked a place for 4 nights with Airbnb, but when we entered we found it very grubby and totally unacceptable. We stayed one night because we only arrived after midnight, but left the following morning without even showering as the place was too dirty. The host has refused to refund us, and Airbnb won't entertain our complaint because it was made more than 24 hours after entering. How can we be made to pay for a product we couldn't use? How can Airbnb hide behind strict regulations they have made themselves? Why is no-one concerned with customer satisfaction? Basil **. PS. I submitted receipts and photos with my original complaint so will not send them again as Airbnb already have them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

On the evening that I showed up there was nobody to meet me at the property. I had to call the police because I thought that I had been scammed. Two hours after I arrived I was let in and rewarded with a a filthy room, a mattress on the floor, and no door to my room. I was completely unsafe. So, I got to vacuum the room, make my own mattress on the floor and spray for bugs. This allowed me to negotiate for a discounted extended stay once I got an actual room. Airbnb only offered to put me somewhere else for a fee. But of course all my money was given to this host.

The stay was a nightmare of cold water showers, spotty internet, and men bringing in women at all hours of the night. And when I offered a complaint or solution about the residence I was called a "Pest" by the host and rooming house manager. This experience was degrading and humiliating. I was a paying guest and after my stay I was told by Airbnb that they would not send me a link so that I could review the host. If you have nowhere else to stay or no one else to stay with you can use Airbnb. IF anything goes wrong it is the guest who will suffer and have to make things right. Awful customer service!

Original review: April 8, 2019

The required submittal of a picture does not work. We tried multiple times to take a picture that satisfied the machine without success. I'm using Vrbo from now on. No picture required. No drivers license to download.

Original review: April 8, 2019

THE WORST TRAVEL/CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE IMAGINABLE. On the evening of Monday, March 18 I made a reservation for a condo in Florida for 11 days (March 29 – April 8) as a birthday gift for my adult son. I explained the fact that I was making this booking as a gift for someone else in the notes section while making the reservation. I’ve used Airbnb before and making the reservation was seamless and easy. I got a confirmation back pretty quickly and my card was charged the $1479.33 required. At the host’s request, I also made an additional payment of $100 to cover daily parking. The host contacted me that same evening saying that since this was a gift and I wasn’t the person who would be on site, then I should upload my son’s ID, which I did immediately.

On March 21, I get my final confirmation from Airbnb via email that says, “Pack your bags…” Sadly, this is where the good news ends. On the same day I got an email from “Lance **” at “response@airbnb" that began with “It looks like you've uploaded someone else's identification!” – I responded saying that I did in fact upload another person’s ID at the host’s request because this was a gift, etc. No one responded back. I figured no harm could be done by also uploading my ID. I did so. The first time there seemed to be some sort of glitch and I wasn’t at all certain that the upload had been successful. I tried again. This time the upload was confirmed.

Later that day I attempted to log in into Airbnb only to find that my account was locked “temporarily”. I checked again later and found that I was still locked out. I became concerned. I called their 855 #. I spoke with “Jerson”. He said that he couldn’t help me and that a “specialist” would contact me within 24-48 hours. I thought that was too long to wait, so I pushed back. He said there was nothing that he could do, so he prioritized my “case”. At about 36 hours into the wait, I realized no one was going to contact me. I called the 855 # again and this time I got “Amanda” who gave me the same line but assured me that my case had been given “high priority” because the dates for the trip were coming up quickly.

I finally took to Google to research the best way to get results from Airbnb since I was clearly getting nowhere. I stumbled onto a long blog where literally hundreds of people had similar experiences, and many had gone unresolved. But one guy suggested DM’ing AirbnbHelp on Twitter. I did that. Someone did respond pretty quickly. They asked for further identifying info. I supplied it immediately. They suggested that I respond again to Lance’s email and re-explain the situation to him. I did that on Friday, the 22nd. Lance or some reasonable facsimile never responded. Twitter gets back to me again to say that I have been assigned a “Case Manager” who would email me “shortly”. Nothing.

With each day that has passed since that time, I sent additional DMs on Twitter and several emails to “Lance **” and I was promised time and time again that someone would get back to me ASAP. When I reached 120 hrs. since my original call to the 855 # with no one contacting me as to why I’m locked out of my account, I called again. I spoke with “Jessica” who tried more than the others to get a response. She put me on hold a few times to contact the “other specialists” to see if she could get some sort of answer or give me an exact time for a response. Nothing. Again. This is the absolute worst customer service I’ve ever experienced with any vendor of any kind. I’m a serial traveler and have booked many trips with VRBO, HomeAway, PlumGuide (overseas), Relais and Chateau and others. I’ve used Airbnb before too.

In the interim, my son began his drive to FL not knowing what he would find. We tried making alternate reservations through another service but all of them required a long lead time to cancel and we didn't want to get stuck with two reservations. It didn't appear that Airbnb cancelled my reservation, but I had no way of knowing of that for sure because they cut me off from the host. They had not reversed the charges to my bank -- nor did I want that to be the end result.

I wanted access to my account again and wanted to stop being ignored and treated like a criminal. I deserved an answer as to why this happened in the first place and never got one until I was sent an email message that arrived 240 hours after I was promised a response within 24-48 hours. That was when I was notified that Airbnb didn't allow 3rd party bookings. I could have been told that immediately because I put notes in my reservation request saying that I was booking this as a gift for someone else.

They took my money immediately and before I was locked out of my account, the host agreed to allow me to book this trip as a gift for my son. I was 100% upfront about that with Airbnb and the Host from the get-go. They took my money right away even though I “violated” a policy I was unaware of. Why couldn’t someone tell me that immediately and I would have rectified it by having my son book the trip for himself and put it on my card??? Why did I have to wait 10 days for an answer? The most abysmal customer service experience that I’ve ever had. STAY AWAY. VRBO OR HOMEAWAY MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER IN EVERY WAY.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Too expensive, Earth's least customer-centric company. First, before I made a booking on Airbnb, the price showed 1600/- including taxes, as soon as I pay with my credit card, it goes up to 2000/-. Even for the price of 1600/-, Airbnb is Grossly over-rated. All of this could have been fine, was it not for the pathetic customer service. They call themselves 'your friend' in customer service emails, what a paradox.

There is no dedicated number to reach during emergency, there's a toll free number that's very dysfunctionally managed. Communication and clarity is pathetic. The reservation said..."Flexible', but the host demanded charges when we arrived in town just 2 hours ahead of time, even when we requested if we can leave our baggage nearby and sit in a cafe.

Again, same issue of miscommunication during review time. I have email saying the last day to write a review is April 8th. But April 8th morning, I get an email saying my review time is up. When I complain to Airbnb and show them the email mentioning April 8th timeline, they say, "we understand you, but sorry there's nothing we can do". Rude answer in a polite way. Host was demanding my ID proofs inspite of me telling her I had already uploaded on Airbnb. Again, to no avail at Airbnb. Treat customers (your so-called friends) this way and see how far you last in the market. To the day, I hear the news of your bankruptcy.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It was a horrible experience booking an Airbnb lodging in Tokyo in March 2019. We checked into the apartment as instructed by the host, address and instruction was given by host, with codes for keylock which was hanging outside the apartment. Checked in at 3pm, but to our horror, a group of people came banging on the doors. We were very disturbed and irritated. Contacted the host, as it was obviously a double booking. A woman came about an hour later, who claimed to be the host, without any sort of courtesy or manners, she came shouting and tried barging into the apartment with her spare keys. Luckily we had the security chain on.

Obviously we were horrified and had the sheer fright of our life! She refused talking to us nicely and asked us to shift to another place. We had to called in the police and I had to call the Aibnb helpline in USA as there was no Japanese number to call. My phone bill with roaming charge was about USD50.00, which was never reimbursed by Airbnb. With the help of Tokyo police, we managed to ask Airbnb to give us a refund, and we moved to a safer place - hotel, transported there with the help of Tokyo police at midnight.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Rented a condo that had roaches. Host admitted to knowing about them prior but didn’t double check to make sure they were gone before renting. The host refused to reimburse partial amount of our stay. And only gave partial amount of the cleaning fee. Airbnb allowed her to do that. Airbnb reimbursed a small fraction of our stay. And informed me that if I decided to write a review that they would have to approve it and inform host first. After multiple conversations with Airbnb about this matter I decided to not write the review because I figured they wouldn’t let me tell my story. Then 2 weeks later she posts a bad review about me and uses my first and last name in the review. I was never informed prior to agree or not agree to her false statement. Don’t rent from Deanne in Sante Fe NM.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was so excited for my trip. It was not a pleasure trip, but one I was excited about and needed to follow strict timelines. Planned in advance so I knew the location and timing of everything in relation to the property. I booked plenty of time in advance because I knew the area would be heavily trafficked at the time I would be there.

Four months after I booked and 5 months prior to the trip the owner cancelled out of nowhere with NO reason. All I received was an email that went to my spam folder that said "Sorry for the inconvenience, but your trip has been cancelled, you will be refunded your full amount." THEN owner proceeded to re-post the property at a higher price for the same dates. Unethical in my opinion, but nothing I can do. However, the Airbnb policy gave me some ease that at least this owner would lose their super host status for cancelling a reservation. - Nope, they do nothing to make owners adhere to their policy standards. There are so many service offerings now, give your money to better company.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Airbnb sent me new updated rules. Although I booked this over one month ago, under some new rules, I was charged $85. These rules took effect on 03/27/19, which was way after I made the booking. This is robbery. The home in question was was not well-described, & I found numerous problems. Stay away from these people.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I canceled a reservation a week after I booked it and 4 months before the scheduled reservation and Airbnb says they are keeping the fees and taxes which is crap. They said I had to cancel within 48hrs of booking it. So now they are keeping my money for a service I'm not even using. $140 wasted cause of a crap company and crap policy. I'll never use that site again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

3 years ago we had made an agreement that we would continue using them for our travel needs if they could give us a more flexible cancelation procedure. Fortunately we never had to use it because we were able to adjust our program to meet the traveling schedule. The one time we knew adjustment was due to extenuating circumstances not only were they not able to help us but their call center which is not in the US anymore had assigned me to a French lady named Fanny that was extremely rude and constantly threatening to hang up the phone on me because I wouldn't simply acquiesce to what she was saying. They changed the rules completely and basically charged us $500 that we can never get back. We spend literally 15 to $20000 a year with them and that will end as of end of our next trip.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Horrible customer service. Our 5 month old reservation for Spring Break with kids in Hawaii was canceled the day we arrived with no explanation. We incurred substantial additional costs due to finding a new place and they have offered no compensation despite being told at the time that they would. Have called Airbnb every day for the past week and they keep promising a manager will call me back but no one does. Truly a disgrace. Won't ever use them again. Better off using a professional rental company, even if it costs a bit more.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I rented a 4 bedroom house through Airbnb to attend my son's graduation from basic training in SC. I called the host weeks before our trip because I had a few questions, which she never returned my phone call. She finally emailed me 2 or 3 days before our arrival date and gave me some excuse about her phone not working properly. On top of that Airbnb took out more than what I was told the initial down payment would be. We arrived to this rental property almost 9 pm that night. When we walked through the front door the house greeted us with a very strong, and smelly odor. It smelled like corn chips, funky ** and stinky dogs. I was sick to my stomach. There was dog hair all in the carpet upstairs and on the so called clean linen which got all over our clothes and luggage.

The kitchen had little baby roaches crawling all over the cabinets, the walls. The floor, the sink, and the garbage can. We sat our food on the table and a roach came crawling from under the table. The bathrooms had hair and old urine stains all over the toilets. The master bathroom actually had streaks of dirt and feces on the toilet seat. The tubs were filthy and dirty. There was dust and cobwebs throughout the house. The listing stated each room had a bed in it. One of the rooms is actually just a mattress sitting on top of boxes. The front door's deadbolt did not lock so we had no way to secure the door completely in this strange place we were totally unfamiliar with.

Airbnb never once contacted me when I sent a message to complain about these issues. This host never stated she had animals. I have an allergy to dogs which made my stay very unbearable. My child also has allergies and she was miserable. I originally booked this place for 3 whole days but we did NOT stay and it ruined my trip to see my son's graduation. Airbnb has not given me a full refund or even the amount they suggested. I am not ok with this and expect a full refund for the trouble, inconvenience and misleading of this home's ad on Airbnb. I will NEVER EVER rent through this company again. How can you charge a cleaning fee when the place was filthy to begin with.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I figure you should disregard the ratings you see on Airbnb.com. My son, my granddaughter and I stayed a couple of nights at a place called Moroccan Retreat or the like in Berkeley, CA. It was described as "1 bedroom, 1 sofa bed, sleeps 4". Our hostess helpfully provided an air mattress so each of us could sleep separately, and our stay was pleasant enough — but the "bedroom" walls didn't go up to the ceiling, so there was no sound privacy, there were only two seats at the kitchen counter, so if we wanted to eat together, we'd've had to sit outside in an open alley in 55F weather, and the cottage itself was in a depressing little corner with views only of walls and fences. Yet every review I saw was 5 stars: not one single complaint. Airbnb is obviously after every buck they can grab, and make no effort to give you an accurate impression of what you're renting. I strongly suspect they're one of the many sites that suppress negative feedback. If I use them again, it'll be because I'm desperate.

Original review: March 29, 2019

We rented an apartment in Tampa for 4 days. It was filthy. There wasn't enough hot water to take a bath. The only parking was 6 blocks away. The owner gave us the phone number of some guy to deal with instead of her. The hot water went out and they said it was our problem and we had to wait for a repair person. We notified Airbnb about the problems and requested a refund. We also left a day early. I also contacted the apartment complex management and found out that renting it out was illegal. I notified Airbnb about it and sent a copy of the rules to them that the complex management gave me.

After threatening the owner with exposure about the illegal rental I was given the last day fee back since we left early. After contacting Airbnb multiple times and sending them photos of the grossly stained mattress, filthy carpets and other dirt I was not given a response except from the person handling my complaint that he didn't really understand legal stuff and there wasn't anything they could do. We didn't even get back the $60 we paid as a cleaning fee.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I had an unsafe stay that left me scared and calling the police. Airbnb would only refund me the unused days. I was charged for the room and cleaning fees etc for 1 night that I did not sleep AT ALL. They do not support their customers and put people in potentially unsafe and serious conditions.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was just reading the sad reviews from the property owners and I hear you. Can I tell you that the same thing happens to renters? Will spare the details (trust me, you don't want to hear them), but suffice it to say we had 13 EXCELLENT stays on AirBnB before we met the first property owner extortion machine. We've always been model guests, and have always cleaned the premises before leaving - to the point my girlfriend makes fun of me about it. It turns out that in cleaning the kitchen, we "scratched" the stainless steel backsplash. The host demanded (not making this up) $900 for a full replacement of an item that was likely made out of too soft an alloy for the purpose. Go figure.

In true AirBnB fashion, they charged my credit card against my wishes ($500). Let me tell you - I had called my bank a few days before to block AirBnB from doing this because they are notorious for charging renters without consent. My bank (Chase) screwed up and did not block the charges as promised... Take my advice: If you anticipate a dispute with AirBnB and you don't want to go chasing your own money, CANCEL YOUR CARD AFTER YOUR STAY. We will not be returning to AirBnB as we do not feel like we were treated fairly on this one. Sad, because we had such a good run for a while. Wait, did I mention the undisclosed spy camera at the last place we rented? Apparently AirBnB doesn't really care about that. OMG. If you take your chances, good luck!

Original review: March 24, 2019

Airbnb and the host are thief. I didn't received the downpayment for my supposedly stay last March 19 to 22 but I need to cancel it. The host is not helpful about the refund. She immediately pass the responsibility to Airbnb. Shame!?

Original review: March 22, 2019

I want the world to know that Airbnb does not stand up for their customers. I would NOT recommend ever using them. I had an issue with an unsafe and dangerous rental and Airbnb would not support me and ask the owners to reimburse my 813 dollars for the 2 night I was supposed to be there. I ended up having to spend another 600 to rent a safe home to stay in. I think this is deplorable on the part of Airbnb. I don't think that anyone should be made to pay for services they were not able to use. I believe that a company like Airbnb should protect customers and adhere to their own policy of maintaining a safe environment for renters. This behavior is totally unacceptable. So please BEWARE of Airbnb.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had a very bad experience with the recent usage of Airbnb. The owner shared some serious trivial photos to claim 300 Euros and I gave all the proof that it is not by me and it is not worth of the cost they trying to charge me. They said they will consider all the communication and return back to me to discuss further on the next step. After 50 days, they directly charged my card without any notice and sent me a email that they charged the card already.

This is really not fair to charge the card without my consent. And the photos (I have the screenshots to prove that they are not valid) are really not making any sense. I would like to take it to next level to dispute this charge and get a fair response. Airbnb is just inclined with the owners and not considering the feedback given by the customers. I will please ask anyone reading this to help me on this.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I made a reservation with Airbnb for our vacation in Cape Town months before our departure date of 25/2/2019. On two occasions before our departure I sent a message to Airbnb requesting the details (Address and check-in details of the apartment I had booked). I also contacted the owner and he informed me that Airbnb will provide me with this information closer to the check-in time. Well 23 hours before our departure I still had not received any information regarding the address or check-in details.

In desperation I contacted the owner of the apartment who lives in Ireland and he supplied me with the details. Airbnb only sent me the information after our departure from Bangkok. The consequence of this is that I have no chance of arranging transfers from the airport in Cape Town to the apartment as I did not even have an address. This is a pathetic so-called service from these people. I have used many booking agents in the past but this is the worst.

Original review: March 18, 2019

A guest threw a 2000 guest party in my house. Airbnb policy covered part of the damage but not all - TERRIBLE!!! There was no negotiating with them. I spent hours gathering information, receipts, cleaning up, organizing repairs - WATCH OUT!!! HUGE RISK FOR OWNERS.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Recently stayed at a really bad home in Chattanooga, TN. The house had mold, and the hostess became defensive and acted inappropriately when I requested the heat stay on during my stay. Contacted Airbnb support about the matter. All they did was refund the nights I cancelled, didn't refund any of their fees. When I told them about the mold and hostess' behavior, the rep literally said "this does not violate our terms of service." Never using Airbnb again if this is what I can expect.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs