3.4/5 (2055 ratings)

About Airbnb

Airbnb Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

@airbnb @AirbnbHelp @Airbnb I'm a host in Airbnb for more than 2 years now. This is one platform I loved the most, but of late Airbnb has been responding in such a way that they do not value their host's time or money. I have been following up one payout that had to be released, they now tell me that, I wouldn't be getting the money because they will be adjusting the same for a cancellation penalty (which the guest had cancelled due to lockdown). Can @Airbnb deal with such uncontrollable matter with ease and to help the hosting community as well? #airbnb has been deducting my payout since 2019 for some reservations which was cancelled by guests when the cancellation policy clearly said it's strict. They have been deducting 10000 rupees.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

This review is on the side of a renter. I have rented several times and I had one horrible experience at an AirBnB. Airbnb listened to me, elevated the discussion once they heard everything that happened, tried to help me find a new location confidentially for safety reasons, investigated after I left and they reimbursed me 100%. They treated me much better than the host did. They did everything right when the host did everything wrong. I applaud them for that. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2021

My experience comes from the hosting side of AirBnB, even though I have enjoyed using this site as a traveler. AirBnB has stepped in so many times to assist myself and my potential guests to coordinate the reservations should there be adjustments needed like pricing to fit budget requests. Their 24-7 response has provided me with answers that I have been able to relay to guests... when I can't quite figure it out myself. Their HUGE insurance policy gives both the traveler and me, the host, peace of mind and makes all of us comfortable in an un-expecting world. Their platform is easy to navigate both on my phone and my laptop. But I think the thing that I like the most about AirBnB...are the people I have met who have stayed in my Chicago rental apartment over the years. Travelers traveling.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I have used AirBnB several times, with my first being as I was driving a long distance with my family and we needed to adjust our route. I ended up being able to download the app, find a good spot, and book the place very quickly. Since then, I've used it a little more in advance. Most recently we used it to book a townhouse in Charleston, SC for a business trip. I've never had any issues with any of the places I've stayed - all were very clean and they've had more room+better amenities than most hotels.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Prices are great!! Offers the luxury of home while on vacation!! Cheaper than most hotels with more to offer! The more people you have to split costs with the cheaper it is, just make sure to check the maximum occupancy requirements! Many times you can get cheaper rates if you rent from home on the state lines! Many are pet friendly and all have way more room than you would find at any hotel for the same cost! Enjoy the feel of home while away from home!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I had made a reservation in Orlando (the host name is Claire). A week before our arrival date we had to take my father in law (who lives with us) to the hospital, he had Covid and he went into a diabetic coma and will pass away in the next day or so. I contacted the owner asap and let her know what was going on, she finally responded with, "Can you not give your reservation to someone else." I told her we couldn't (not to mention she didn't express once sympathy about what we were going through) and then said nothing else until I kept asking about if we could possibly get some kind of refund. 50% would of been fine but instead she said she had no control over that decision (which is a lie).

I spoke to someone at Aibnb and they said unless one of us (party that were to stay) had a positive Covid test then there could be no refund. So my wife's father being on his death bed isn't enough! Please if you are ever going to rent a home don't use this company, this was my 1st experience with them. I have used VRBO many times and have only had good experiences with them. I didn't expect all my money back but something would have been reasonable.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I stayed at an Airbnb. During my stay I fell down the driveway because the host did not make it safe for me. I requested a refund for my stay. I was told I would be reimbursed for my hotel stay due to cancelling the remainder of my stay. I have been given the run around. I have spoken with customer service and heard chickens in the back ground. I was told someone would contact me to resolve the issue. Still waiting. It seems there is actually no guarantee when using Airbnb. Horrible company to deal with when things go wrong. I would have been better off staying at a hotel.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I've just ended a stay in a bnb in Gatineau QC. I had booked for 33 nights (my mistake for taking so long a stay at a place I had never experienced). I contacted Airbnb about my issues...no response, then another email a few days later...and no response again. At the end of my ordeal, I decided to call them. Although the agent was compassionate (it is their job to be after all), nothing was done. They opened a file, "I filed". The verdict came in, I had no recourse, and that was that. I learn from my mistakes. Never again.

In short airbnb allows property owners to get away with malfunctioning amenities (in my case a washing machine broken for a week!), unsanitary bedding with hair in between the sheets (during times of covid!), false advertisement (which at first I didn t pay much mind to; a shower instead of bath isn't a huge deal). I ended up using the place half of the paid reservation. Airbnb has pocketed the last of my money! I wish I could recommend using other services for short term rentals, but I don't know any.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Airbnb is nothing but an advertising portal. They will not be responsible for any content on their website. We rented a house in Mexico for two weeks. Looked good in the pics. When we opened the door, the place smelled like sewage. Backed up from their cheap system. Then every night there were motorcycles coming next door until 2 in the morning. The dogs NEVER stopped barking all night long. The "road" in front of the place looked like it had been bombed out. It was a nightmare.

We tried many times to reach Airbnb. No help. We reached out to the owner. He said he was sorry but lived in another city. Couldn't come for a week. We told him that the ads were misleading, wrong. We spent a day of our vacation finding another spot to move to. But when we went back to the owner and Arbnb, they just said, "It's your decision to stay or leave" NO REFUND. NOTHING. They both just kept all of our money. Please just keep in mind that if you rent from Airbnb, you are totally on your own if the ads prove, as in our case, to be totally fraudulent.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

This was a horrific experience. The second we pulled in I knew it was going to be terrible. On Airbnb they never said it was a broken down motel, there is no front desk so checking in was confusing. I wasn’t sure if I needed to check in. I just walked into the room and oh boy what a surprise. It looked like they went to a garage sale and decorate. Everything wasn’t working properly. The iron, the toaster, the conventional oven, the windows couldn’t be open because the screen was broken. When I did open it to let some fresh air in the “manager” told me I needed to close it because lizards and bug will come… I was upset the room smelled and I can’t let fresh air in? I couldn’t even leave the front door open for the same reason.

Finally after I long day of traveling I take a shower and get into the bed. Oh my god I wish I was making this up. When I laid my head down on the pillow I died internally. It smelled dirty!!! I couldn’t believe it, I told the manager and she said “I washed them” and comes back with fabreeze and sprays down the bed. I was appalled. I did not sleep at all that night. I sat on a chair with my own blanket on top. I was mortified. I started looking for another Airbnb to stay because I couldn’t imagine staying there and just my luck I found nothing in my budget since these people took $1,500 from me. I ended up buying sheets, blankets, a comforter, everything and anything to try and make it a better experience.

It just kept getting worst, anytime I step out of that room I saw something or heard something crazy. At one point I went to my car and I was 2 women basically naked going into a room. I was constantly seeing different women in and out of the other side of the motel but it was weird because it seemed like we were the only people actually staying there. These people came out at night playing music and smoking. So much happened I feel like I could write a book. The day before my mother was getting surgery I knew we had to get out of there no matter what. That place wasn’t suitable for someone who just had surgery. I packed that night and left the next day at 8am and booked a hotel. I cannot believe everything I went through. I would have never imagine Airbnb doing something this ridiculous to their customers. I asked Airbnb for a refund for the days that I did not used, I got out the 4th days of my 16th days but they refused to to give me any refund. Stay away from Airbnb.

Airbnb author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

Airbnb Company Information