2.76/5

Looking for a travel site?

Airbnb

Looking for a travel site?

473 Airbnb Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 16, 2019

We would of liked to watch the weather from local news or a TV after being away from home and no TV was provided. The rest of the home was nice and warm and welcoming. I totally recommend staying at a Airbnb but I would not stay there at that location again with a TV or WiFi.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Airbnb always worked for me. Honoured all agreements. I have stayed in 2 diff. private Airbnb apartments in Barcelona, 1 in Vienna, and 1 in Bordeaux. I have stayed in someone's home (house or apartment) in seven different Airbnb's England (in one of them three times in three years) and in houses that were part or all rooming houses in 4 locations in England. In Canada, 7 times in someone's home (Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver) and four times in an apartment in Toronto or Victoria. They have all been as advertised. When I left early due to dissatisfaction, I was refunded the amount (the host agreed to my leaving). When I lost a key to a lock, the host wanted $700 to install a new lock. Airbnb paid him $350 and didn't expect me to pay anything.

Except in a couple of homes in England, my hosts have been great people, well-travelled, interesting, and flexible. Or least unobjectionable. Nowhere has ever been dirty in any way. I post this to balance the many complaints and accusations. I have never rented in the US, although I have stayed in some pretty sad cheap hotels in parts of California, N. Carolina, and Virginia.

My main concern is that I can't find my reviews or reviews of myself checking today (June, 2019). The level of customer service seems to have declined. The one agent I talked to seemed rather dim and to reading from a list of responses which were only tangentially related to my query. An attempt to communicate with "chat" was unhelpful, and again involved answers that didn't quite square with my questions. I suspect that the responder ("Adam") was a computer program. My problem was minimal and I worked it out myself.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

The hosts were very welcoming, the home was exactly as pictured, the room was very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was superb (fresh cut fruit, made to order eggs or pancakes). Hosts communicated about everything from my booking through my arrival and until my departure. They were lovely people to get to know, as was the other guest.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I see all these bad reviews of Airbnb but my experiences traveling with my son & his wife have been great. Used Airbnb for a condo in Hollywood, FL February 2019 and it was exactly as described. Over the years, we also used them for an apartment in New York City, a condo in Chicago and a condo on the boardwalk in San Diego. All of these experiences were perfect. Whenever I have a question and call them, I actually get a friendly human being. The world isn't perfect, sometimes things can go wrong. Recently I made a reservation for next February 2020 (10 months away). A couple weeks later the host cancelled it. Airbnb gave me a $200.00 credit for my next trip!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Frankly, I only knew Airbnb from my bookings, and I never had any experience with Airbnb Resolution team until their online agent, Ronie's, recently helped me very quickly and to my satisfaction, and that impressed me, but today another agent, Alexandre, truly "knocked off my socks" with instant and tremendously caring quality customer care on a different issue. I can't overestimate that! Now I know that Airbnb is much more than just a place to stay but also a place filled with wonderful and caring people. First-rate service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I booked 2 rooms for 10 people in May with Seacoast in Miami Beach through Airbnb. First, the property looked nothing like the picture... The host made it look nice and didn't share info on how run-down the place is. I was looking and expecting an average place, this place Seacost was below average. Run-down building, smelly elevator and hallways, old run-down rooms. I expressed to Airbnb of this and they did nothing. Their customer service was not helpful at all and actually put the fault on me. The case agent I spoke to even lied to me on the phone. I am very disturbed with this whole experience. Book a hotel next time. Never Airbnb.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Ripoff. Airbnb cancelled 2 homes on me and then did not refund the payment on the second one until I threatened! NEVER do business with them. BEWARE!! You will be out money and scrambling at the last minute!

Original review: June 18, 2019

This rental was a very dirty offering, grease covered kitchenware, dishes, glasses, pans, mold in the bathroom, bugs in the bedding, cleaning was only cursory, a good cleaning would turn this unit into a very cost effective offering.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Hello, I booked a room for 3 weeks from Airbnb in Los Angeles, USA and I had an horrible trip because of host. First, when I was checking in the apartment she sent the cleaning lady to give me a keys and cleaning lady tried to duplicate keys by herself while I was out because they didn't have any other keys for me. And then I couldn't see host because she rented other rooms as well. She first came back to apartment 6-7 days later and she locked the additional lock of the apartment's door and I couldn't enter the apartment at that night and I contacted with Airbnb Support Team asap. They called her as well but she never replied our messages or calls and I stayed out of apartment that night. Then other day, I left from apartment because of host's attitude and I was keeping touch with airbnb support team every hour and after they cancelled my trip. To sum, I didn't stay in her apartment rest of 15-16 nights after she locked the door.

Guess what happened then, Airbnb only refunded $281 but I PAID $2400. Then I mailed them back and they told me that their refund policy is so strict and then they provided me $364 additional return!! So they told me that they needed to protect to host who locked the door and stayed me outside of street. Great policy Airbnb. If I'm not unjust or unfair and you wanted to protect your host, why did you provide me additional $361? I was so shocked with Airbnb's policies because I was desperate and always contacting with Airbnb Support Team respectfully but end of the day I see that they always follows their moneys. I hope it'll helpful for everyone and be careful when you book a room or apartment from Airbnb because even though host didn't let you in the apartment, Host is always right and you're the unjust one.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I tried to sign up for Airbnb and book a location. When asked to upload my ID, I followed steps to do so. I tried to finish reservation and could not complete it because the computer system said I had not completed ID verification. I called customer service x2. The second person I talked to, said my account was OK and I was just waiting for the host of accept my reservation. Then I got a message saying that my reservation was cancelled because I had not completed the ID verification.

I made a total of 7 calls to customer service on a Sunday asking for help. I was told repeatedly - that I needed to upload my ID and sent a link to do so. When I followed the link, I repeatedly got a message saying, "You're all set," and was not able to upload my ID. One customer service rep after another had me go through the same process. Three times I was promised a call from a supervisor, but no call came. While I doing all this, I got multiple texts and emails telling me I had not uploaded my ID and threatening to cancel my reservation.

On my 7th call to customer service, I finally got to talk to a supervisor, who told me that it takes up to 12 hrs for the computer to verify my ID. The supervisor was also insistent that I had only uploaded my ID 6 hrs earlier, even though it had been about 20 hours. She said they could not refer the problem to their technical people until after 12 hrs. During the night I continued to get texts telling me to submit ID or I would lose the reservation. I called the next morning and went through the same song and dance with customer service. Fifty seven minutes into the call, I still was getting the "You're all set" message, just like all the other times.

I called again on Monday morning and got the same explanation from the customer service rep and was still not able to finish making a reservation or upload my ID. I spent 1 hr and 55 min on the phone to get this resolved. I was finally able to talk to a supervisor with a lot of experience who tried multiple things not tried before and finally got my ID uploaded and approved. There was no one available on Sunday who knew how to troubleshoot this weird problem I was having.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I hosted two men through Airbnb and it was the worst experience ever. When I legitimately tried to claim for a negligent act that cost me over $1,200, as is my right, Airbnb simply chose to deactivated my account, saying that the decision was non negotiable and awarded me a lousy $25. I also hosted a women who had a full mental breakdown in my home and when I tried to contact Airbnb for support, Airbnb did not respond for 12 hours until the police was called and they escorted the young woman off my premises. Feeling threatened and fearful, I called numerous times leaving messages and sending emails to Airbnb and still they did not respond. This was a threatening and horrid experience and I got NO support from Airbnb.

So I am warning ALL Hosts to please be aware, you simply do not know who you are hosting in your home.!!! Also remember when there are problems, Airbnb shirks their responsibility and you are left completely on your own!!! BE CAREFUL, YOUR LIFE COULD ALSO BE AT RISK BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW WHO IS IN YOUR HOME. Airbnb have stopped showing you the picture of the guest before you confirm the booking and if you cancel after this booking your are penalized. This places you at immediate risk since you cannot even see who you are hosting before any bookings. I hope no one ever loses their life through Airbnb!!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

At first we arrived to this place that was advertised as a private apartment and it is a tiny small room in the middle of someone’s house. It was so bad we cut the whole vacation short. They were smoking in the house and it was horrible and AIRBNB did not wanna help us.

Original review: June 16, 2019

It was perfect for a one night stay as I had a meeting the next day about 30 miles away. The location was great so we could walk to town to sightsee and dine. The host was very thoughtful with items in the kitchen, fridge, bathroom.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I needed a place to stay for my internship. Booked a place for 10 weeks. I could not see the reviews beforehand and so some of the blame does fall on me. Their long term stay policy says I cannot receive a refund for the first 30 days pretty much no matter what. However, what they don't mention is that any refund request has to be accepted by the host. So even after I canceled everything after the first 30 days I still had to pay $187 and only got $650 back from what was a total of $1500ish. None of this is explicitly stated and it's really unfair to students who are on a budget.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Property situated with a view, as well as privacy. Had an elevator, fire safety, first aid, books, tour guides. Conveniently located, stores, restaurants.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Everything planned the way they offered. House was clean, the owner/s were communicative with the owner/s. Pictures were the way they showed. Closed to down town. Amenities were cleaned and plenty. Enough of any spices you can imagine. Pool and backyard quite and clean. Plenty towels.

Original review: June 14, 2019

The owner was helpful and accommodating. The house was clean, just as described. Full of appliances, towels, bedding. The Airbnb process was easy and safe. They protect the renter and the rentee. Highly recommended way to go.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I found a charge on my credit card for over $1000.00 to Airbnb. I have not used Airbnb for over 4 years and used an old credit card through my husband's Airbnb account at the time. I received nothing but platitudes from Airbnb stating that they investigated the matter and that myself or one of my family members have booked it. They will not release any information about the booking to me stating privacy issues. They will not investigate it unless I have a subpoena. However they keep responding with "rest assured we have done a thorough investigation". This company is not interested in customer service but only with making money! I will never book through them.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Easy site to navigate and helpful maps to show where the places were located in comparison to sites we wanted to visit. It also showed prices for each place on the map. Filters helped to narrow down the search criteria to the area and price and type of space we wanted.

Original review: June 13, 2019

The house we rented was clean and well kept. Master bed was comfortable but the sleep sofa mattress wasn’t firm. A nice cushion chair needs to be added in the main bedroom. The owners are great and the craftsmanship of the interior is very nicely done.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We recently used Airbnb for the first time when visiting the US. The property we had booked did not match the web site in many instances. Our biggest complaint was the bedroom we were given which was just not "fit for purpose", plus as part of Airbnb's fee, we were charged for cleaning of the room which just did not happen. We passed our complaint to Airbnb upon our return home and they confirmed it would receive attention. However despite e-mailing our complaint to them on two separate occasions, the only thing we got back was "THIS E-MAIL COULD NOT BE DELIVERED". We decided to involve an independent Consumer Help Line who contacted Airbnb on our behalf. They, like us, hit a brick wall as Airbnb refused to deal with them.

We posted a negative review of the property, "Sedona Sanctuary" Arizona, to which the host responded with BLATANT LIES in an attempt to discredit our review. We advised Airbnb that their host had accused US of lying and told them that we had evidence to substantiate the comments we had made in our review which proved that it was their HOST that was in fact lying. As normal, Airbnb have failed yet again to take action and have now closed our case. It is more than evident reading other reviews on your website that Airbnb only believe their hosts and choose to ignore customer complaints. We shall personally NEVER use them again and would advise anyone else to do the same.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Nothing like what they advertised. It's all about false advertising. Amenities advertised non-working such as hot tub. WiFi out. Who doesnt want to use WiFi these days? When you call in the problem they can't get items repaired during your stay and don't want to refund any of your money. Owners want to get an attitude when you call them. No more. I'll do better at a Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn.

Original review: June 12, 2019

The host was very welcoming and endearing. The area I was staying was clean and smelled really nice and had fresh linens. I would use this service again for price and convenience. I highly recommend this to anyone who is trying to get as much bang for their buck as possible.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Loved it. Would use it again and go again and would definitely recommend for anyone to use it...I was very satisfied with my experience..and look forward to using again in the future for all my vacation needs...

Original review: June 10, 2019

On May 31, I received an Airbnb email saying my reservation for a house in London was confirmed. I live in the U.S. and never made the reservation. Within minutes I called Airbnb to alert them that my account had been hacked and that this was a fraudulent reservation. The agent told me that "We take identity theft very seriously" and that someone from security would email me in 2 days. The person who hacked my account canceled the reservation, but I'm still stuck with a $350 bill because of a strict reservation policy. It's now June 10th, and Airbnb's security has not contacted me. I was even asked to review the host for the house where I never stayed. There is no acknowledgment when I check my Airbnb account that this was a fraudulent reservation from a hacker.

My credit card company is left to fight the battle for me. In the phone calls, they have told me twice that they take identity theft seriously, but there is nothing in their actions that suggest that is the case. I can only guess that the profits they receive from fraudulent reservations outweigh any revenue lost from people like me who will never use their service again. Final advice: do not have a default credit card on their site - if I hadn't had one, this would not have happened.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Airbnb favors the host more than the guests. I requested to cancel my Airbnb months in advance (3 months prior to check in) and the host was not responsive (1 week went by), which made me feel uncomfortable to work with her, so Airbnb customer support had to step in and communicate with me for the host. The host refuses to refund me anything, so I am currently fighting to get my money back ($546.00) to be exact for an Airbnb that I can’t even use anymore. The host is heartless and money hungry and Airbnb favored her over me. I will never use Airbnb again due to this.

If you are ever in Midtown area and decide to book, do not work with Meg. She is blonde and wearing sunglasses in her picture, not at all a superstar host. She’s holding $546 for a cancelled reservation I had made for August (1 night) and it is June. That is completely unacceptable to hold onto money for a customer that isn’t even staying at the Airbnb. How is she inconvenienced? None of my guests including me are staying there and she refuses to refund me. I will keep fighting.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Airbnb gives one feeling of being at home as one has everything like in his/her own home at their disposal. Especially if one is renting a unit to him/herself, it is homely feeling & enjoyable experience.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Scam! Someone hacked my account and spent over $2000. I told Airbnb and they did nothing to stop it. I had canceled my card, put those charges that were pending we not canceled on airbnb's end. Their customer service is horrible and all they say is someone will email me with the results. I will never use this company again. They are no even legal or accredited with the BBB. I also filed a police report. This should never happen to anyone and you would think the company would try to solve it and stop it.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Airbnb were great in Iceland. We were given a code to enter the box where the key was left and was able to get in the Airbnb at the time we arrived which was always unpredictable. Place was always to our expectations.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I loved it, each bedroom had its own bathroom, plenty of parking. It was close to the city of Charleston and all the historical sites. We are vegans, and we found a excellent restaurant that had all we could ever hope for! The food was excellent!!! Would I recommend this place to anyone, in a heartbeat!!

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs