1.19/5
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

146 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

We were deceived by an Airbnb host. We wanted to find a place to stay in Niagara Falls, New York and entered that location in the search field of your website for the 7 of us. We looked at the results returned by the search criteria and located one we liked. We took a look at the property photos and description details and that's what convinced us to choose the property as well as the description stating how close it was to the falls. We knew the property had a strict cancelation policy and thought that wouldn't be an issue since we were not planning to change anything about our planned trip.

We thought it seemed too good to be true but found out later that was the case. Ok, here's where the horror story came into play. We were so excited we make a request to book the property and checked our email the next day to find it was booked. We were so excited to see the title of our email showing success. When we read the email we found to our horror that the property was outside of the United States. It was in Canada! How can this be when the search criteria was supposed to return New York state properties. We don't have any travel documents to go outside of the country.

We contacted Airbnb and they made up a story that the host lost $900 for a long term stay. Sure, and I have bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell!!! They issued us a partial refund but we lost $161.50 in the scam being run by the host called "Anita". The attached screenshots show the search results and the fake ratings on this property. Beware of the host called "Anita" with a property title "Cozy townhouse near the falls". It's outside of the United States!

Original review: June 15, 2018

My husband and I just recently rented a unit on South Beach Florida. We had some real concerns about our accommodations when we arrived. Definitely not up to par for the money we were paying. After contacting the host, with no response, I called Airbnb customer service. I was lucky enough to have Macie answer the phone. Macie became my case manager and what a great one she is! She contacted the host on our behalf and within thirty minutes there was a call from the host. I will say the Host was quite responsive on fixing some of our concerns. However, in order to correct the problems, we had many people in our pad fixing the problems.

Out of my seven days of vacation I have spent six of them dealing with fixing problems and asking for some form of compensation for our troubles, I've been trying to work these issues out with the host and not getting Airbnb involved any further. I was in no way trying to get the host in hot water. Macie has contacted me every morning to see how my negotiations were going and has offered to help. Again I was hoping to work it out with the host and not bring a third party into it. Unfortunately I have not been able to work it out with Airbnb host and I have finally asked Macie to step in. The customer service at Airbnb has been nothing but incredible!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've used Airbnb at least 15 times but NEVER AGAIN. I've never been to New Orleans before and was so excited. Six of my girlfriends and I planned a fun weekend getaway. I booked us a house that listed as "3 miles from French Quarter" on Airbnb and paid over $1000 upfront (included $130 cleaning fee and $113 service fee and $45 tax fee).

I was boarding the plane to NOLA when I got a phone call from two of the girls saying they aren't staying at the house. Their Uber driver said it's a VERY dangerous part of town and is considered the projects. I googled it later and found out it's the 2nd largest housing project in the city. There were boarded up houses on the street (something I could not have known). When they arrived at the house, two men drinking from paper bags across the street started catcalling them and made them feel very uncomfortable. There was only one other review posted before me and the guy said that the neighborhood was "worn down". I didn't want to base my stay on one review, but looking back I should have.

I immediately contacted the owner and said we did not feel comfortable staying there and we would be staying somewhere else. I ended up paying a fortune for a hotel last minute. Usually a hotel would make you pay for that first night and give you the rest of the money back. Nope... not nasty Alia. She wouldn't even give me back the $130 cleaning fee. She blamed the boarded up houses on hurricane Katrina which happened 13 years ago! Alia also had Airbnb block me from leaving a review because I was never inside the house! My friends did not enter the house, just parked the car in the driveway and then left after being harassed. After 2 months of arguing with Airbnb's ** support, they blocked me from messaging them and closed the case. I lost over a grand and was blocked from leaving an honest review. SAVE YOUR TIME... DON'T STAY HERE OR USE AIRBNB.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I am a business professional. I have recently had the most horrible experience with an organization that calls themselves Airbnb. Their customer service representatives are rude and they tell the customers not to be rude to them. In that they will hang up on them if they even raise their voice. They have absolutely no respect for their customers none whatsoever. They cancel reservations on their own not their host but on their own and keep your money for up to three or four weeks before it is refunded. This company actions are criminal. In this organization needs to be investigated by the US government. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. I have never been so offended by an organization ever in my entire life and I hope that the owners of this organization pray to the good Lord for their souls for their criminal actions against their own customers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My husband and myself just had a horrible experience renting a place in Montreal Quebec through AirBNB. The pictures were lovely and the Host was a SuperHost meaning he had great reviews and verified by AirBNB. We found out from a person that works at an AirBNB office that someone could not have all those reviews since 2015. This was a scam artist that hacked into the system and is continuing to hack in as AirBNB keeps sending him or whoever money. We called the Host from the airport as arranged (as I had sent him arrival time previously through AirBNB) with the number AirBNB gave us and it went into some strange language. I tried texting the host who went by the name of Stephane but no response.

We arrived and the place was not as depicted. It was in an old rundown building. The host said he would meet us there. Just buzz 1905. He may operate this place remotely which is scary in itself. When we arrived and pushed the code we were not buzzed in. Someone else was going in the front door to the building and let us in. We went up to the 19th floor and when the elevator opened it was a dingy hallway. The door was open. We looked inside and it was filthy. Old bed linens and towels that were not clean. Dingy sheets on the windows. No balcony with a view. The balcony was a railing looking at the back buildings and next to nothing view of downtown Montreal. Plus you could not step on to the so called balcony as it was falling apart with all broken concrete. Construction lights for lights. No art on the wall as depicted in the pictures on AirBNB by an artist.

I’ve looked now after this incident and this host got quite a few images for his listing from Google Images. We were scared as this place did not look safe and there was no key or instructions at all. We actually feared for our lives. I called the host and again he never picked up just a voicemail in some strange language and it wasn’t French. Thank goodness the person that picked us up at the airport came up and was able to witness what we had walked into. We had paid AirBNB $1,733.05 for 5 days for this place. We immediately went back down into the lobby and called AirBNB to tell them of our problem as if there was a problem you had to call AirBNB within 24 hours. A woman who was a tenant (and saw how frantic we were) informed us that these apartments were not to be rented on AirBNB but someone was doing it and we were not the first ones to be scammed.

The person who was on the first call in Customer Support at AirBNB by the name of Joseph ** (not sure if that was his real name he was giving me as all other other Customer Support people went by first name and last initial) assured us that we would be refunded 100% of what we paid. He was going to call me right back. He never did. Then I got a series of communications from AirBNB Customer Support over the next few days saying my issue was being escalated but seeing I didn't get pictures, they probably could not get me the money back as the host had a 100% non refundable cancellation fee. Joseph also told me that the cancellation was in effect immediately as we were not staying at all in the place. My concern was our safety and calling AirBNB, not getting pictures.

Besides, even people that have sent pictures to AirBNB don't get their money back as the host has to agree to a refund. This host hides behind a non refundable cancellation fee as he knows this place is a dump but you cannot see it until you arrive. Plus he goes by the name on AirBNB as The Greatest. He does not put a profile picture up of himself.

Now in hindsight this should have been a warning sign but we thought with all his over 300 reviews and being verified by AirBNB as a SuperHost we were protected. I trusted AirBNB had done their homework on this fellow. Later after much investigation into the system of AirBNB, you as the Consumer are not protected at all. Plus they will not give you the money back. They want you to do your own fighting with the Host. Why do they put that they will not release the money to the Host until after 24 hours of your arrival in the event there is a problem. They knew we had a problem immediately with the misrepresentation by the host and they still released the money to him.

We were frantic as there were no accommodations in Montreal as it was Grand Prix weekend and everything was taken up. Our trip was ruined. We had booked this trip April 20 2018. The so called Stephane had left a few messages for me through AirBNB when he knew we had discovered how deplorable the place was that I should not expect the Fairmount and just look at his reviews (which I believe are fake) and he stated he also left water and soda on the table just like a hotel. We made a few contacts and they were calling family members and friends to see if they knew of a place we could stay. We had to basically live out of our suitcases for 5 days as different people put us up each day.

We are business people and never in all of our travels have we encountered such a devastating experience. We barely slept at all in those 5 days with worry and the knowledge we were frauded. Plus AirBNB Customer Support is a badly broken system as there really is no Customer Support that will work for the Customer/Guest. You get one Customer Support message that they are escalating your issue and another Customer Manager will respond shortly. Their shift ended so someone new comes on the next shift and the same message. They just waste your time until you discover that, and bring it to their attention that they are not doing anything for you but wasting your time.

I even had a Customer Support person tell me to go back to the original place. It was a roof over our head as our reservation was still open as I hadn't cancelled which shocked me as Joseph the original person I spoke with assured me it was cancelled right away. I had to go cancel it again on Friday, 2 days after our arrival. We could have been robbed or even worse, bodily harm but the Customer Support person tells me to go back to the original place and put ourselves in harm's way. There is no way we were going to do that. Then you get a message that this Customer Support Issue has now been closed and you cannot respond any further.

My last ditch effort was going to the link that Customer Support previously sent me, just before they closed my case, to request a refund from the host. They said the most I could ask for from him was $1,458.88 as AirBNB took the rest for their fees which I suppose they won't reimburse. I just tried that this morning and filled out the form for $1,458.88 and just before you go to send, the amount that comes up is you are requesting $1.45 back from your host. I kept trying to go back. I typed the right amount but AirBNB populated in only $1.45. This whole thing is a scam by the looks of it to me.

I looked online on AirBNB and the place we rented from The Greatest was called “The Magic” Dream Downtown Flat. I see “The Magic” is no longer on there or it could be listed in another location, but this person has a listing as “The Splendid”. Same place, same host, and the map shown is the same map we had for “The Magic” on AirBNB. Apparently these scammers just close down one listing and put up another with a different name as AirBNB does not monitor them. It is still the same listing. I see The Greatest goes by the name of Lyle as well as Stephane. He may have other listings under other names. These untrustworthy people have found a way to hack into the system. I wanted to take the time to write this in the hopes of helping others from being deceived by this person. We will never use AirBNB again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I booked and paid for a month stay in Colombia through Airbnb. The host contacted me 22 days before arriving and literally blackmailed me; if I did not paid her an extra $450 dollars, she would cancel my stay and leave me without a place to stay. I DID NOT paid her ransom and I asked AirB&B to cancel my reservation and return my funds so I could make new arrangements. They said they CANNOT cancel the reservation until the fraudulent host do it themselves, YES.

Also I request the opportunity to leave a review on the host portal so I could WARN other customer about this fraudulent host. The request was denied implying violation of AirB&B polices. The site will now post a note saying this host has canceled the stay, but wouldn't say the host intended to blackmail the customer for more money at the last minute before arrival. I have also requested AirB&B to block this fraudulent host from their site and the opportunity to discuss this issue with an AirB&B manager. THE REQUEST HAS BEEN IGNORED.

I'm a firm believer of AirB&B system, BUT THESE fraudulent and scam PROTECTIVE policies implemented by this site, make this a nontrustworthy site. I believe up to the extent allowed by law, AirB&B cover up for fraudulent activities, should be penalized and should be subject to dispute resolutions by law LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS. I also believe that being open and HONEST about fraudulent host, will maintain the site trust on check. Under current procedures AirB&B is a fraud and extortion protected haven for thefts. I don't understand how a business this size don't care about customers believing on what AirB&B has to offer. This is the first review I have write in my life and will post it on every site until AirB&B allow customers to expose fraudulent host and thefts that float in their site.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Had a horrible experience during our stay in Barcelona. We were victims of extortion and slander by our host who, out of nowhere, decided to accuse us of stealing from him and demanded compensation. We were completely shocked by his claims and reported him to Airbnb immediately. They were absolutely useless in mediating, especially given the seriousness of the situation. They even allowed him to give us a negative review. Needless to say, we will not be using Airbnb ever again! Once they have your money, they could care less about what happens.

Original review: June 3, 2018

So we’re from Canada and made Airbnb booking in Mission, BC. Contacted the host, she gave me a link where I can continue with my booking, paid for everything, our stay with them was great, very accommodating and nice people. But, the night before we’re going to check out I found out that we’re charged almost $1k for 8 nights. From the receipt that Airbnb sent me, it was only $600++, as I was speaking to their customer service agent they couldn’t figure out why I was charged $732 plus a pending transaction of $181.

It turned out that the amount I paid for was in USD!! So when it was converted, it was higher than we thought. You couldn’t see if it was in USD and the agent was insisting that before I finalize the booking, it will show an option if it was in USD or CAD. I didn’t see that option. So just a warning, if you’re from another country aside from the US, make sure you got the right currency before you finalize your booking. And this option is right on the very bottom of the page, after the reviews on the right hand side and it’s really tiny!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

We had a 4 hour delay checking in because the host never answered, and the management took over four hours. Pressed for a review, I was honest, not mean or unreasonable. They never published my review, so I am unable to trust their reviews. Nothing is all positive.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Recently I have had a very unexpected and disappointing experience using Airbnb. I made a booking to stay at a Airbnb in Seville, Spain, but my host cancelled the booking less than a week before our arrival. I did not receive any warning and only found out after logging in to check my Airbnb account. From their troubleshooting web page I was told I was to receive a credit voucher for my inconvenience but I never received any message or email as told on their website. When I went to book a new accommodation, all the prices had on average doubled in price compared to my original booking. But when I went to the check out page when making a new booking, I was happy to see they automatically deducted a credit voucher and charged the difference. But later when I went to check my credit card statement, I was shocked to see they had made another charge without my knowledge.

So they had charged the difference between the original credit voucher and the original price I paid, then a new charge that I was not aware of. I have tried to discuss this with their Airbnb support system, but after a few messages, they are no longer responding to me. Most likely due to me unable to produce any evidence that I was issued a credit voucher other than my credit card statement with the two charges. Unfortunately I had not thought to print screen when I was confirming the booking to show they had automatically deducted and stated the amount of the credit voucher. So just a warning to be very careful in the future, when you get cancelled on, there is no protection, be careful when rebooking and they offer a credit voucher, you must take photographic records because they will charge you for this voucher without your warning.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We showed up at dusk to the address. The host did not specify that there was an apartment A and B at the same address. And most of the pictures of the unit were of the outside of the upstairs apartment. We went to the upstairs unit, which was the only one you could see at that time of day. When we tried the door a dog barked at us. I thought we might have the wrong address and had the Uber driver take us what ended up being around the block, where we ended up at the same address. I finally noticed there was a downstairs. It was really dark down there (Sam does not leave the light on for you). I had to turn on my phone and all I could see was a key lock, not the key pad we needed to put in the code.

I tried to text Sam, but he uses a one way text, so he can only send me information, and not receive anything I send. I went to the Airbnb rental site, which took a while, because my service did not work well in the city. We called Sam. He did not answer. I saw no other obvious phone number on the rental site on my mobile app that I could call. It was getting later, so we had the Uber take us to a hotel. About an hour later Sam called. He told us to leave the hotel and head back to his place. By then we had checked in. There was no "sorry for your trouble", or "let me compensate you one night and we’ll fix this tomorrow". He just took our money, and refused to give any refund.

When I was finally able to contact Airbnb (their holds are similar to AT&T holds... very long), the first guy passed me through to the second person, who didn’t even try to negotiate a solution. She said we should have contacted Airbnb while standing on the darkening street with limited cellular, and they would have eventually found someone for us to talk to. As I said, I did not see the Airbnb number on the rental page. I did not find the number until I could get on wireless with my computer. Very frustrated, I told Airbnb I would file a small claims court case. They then accused me of extortion. Apparently, you are not entitled to legal recourse in the Oligarch land of Airbnb.

I will NEVER use Airbnb again. I have used VBRO many times, and have never had such a negative experience. What I will tell others who want to use Airbnb is that I highly recommend they do two things: the following 1) Read the Airbnb customer policy (you will find as a renter you have no rights, and little recourse). And 2) Call Airbnb customer support on a weekend night and see how long it takes for you to get through should you have an issue with your host. 3) Do not believe any of the Airbnb reviews (negative reviews typically aren't posted, or the owner renames his rental).

Original review: May 29, 2018

TWICE I have had reservations cancelled for no reason. The first was when I was relocating for a job. I had a Jeep full of belongings, and the guy who took my money for the week suddenly refunded it before my arrival and took his home off the Airbnb market. The next time, a week after starting my job, the reservation was cancelled again with no notice. I called and spent 30 minutes on the phone with the company only to be told that my account was "under investigation for privacy" and that my reservation was "pending" even though it had been confirmed (and now showed cancelled). The rep had an accent that made much of what he said unintelligible and when I asked for a supervisor, I got more minutes of hold with no one ever coming to the phone.

I called the owner of the home and she claimed to not know what was going on or if I had a reservation. Lastly, my brother got an Airbnb for my mom and daughter going to NYC. The guy emailed them to say that the rate they'd booked was in the "high" season and was misquoted, so he needed more money to keep their reservation. RIP. OFF. Do NOT plan your vacation around these people! Have a backup plan! Now I can't even get into a campsite and everything else costs 5x what it did when I made my reservation. So, I'll be sleeping in my car. THANKS AIRBNB!

Original review: May 28, 2018

In February 2018 I booked an entire home in Oceanside CA. for three nights July 12-15. Paid over $1,100.00! Need to put my home up for sale the end of April. No idea it would sell in five days. Purchased a new home. Move in date July 8th. Four days before Oceanside stay. Canceled my reservations the start of May. I only received a 50% refund. Cancellation policy confusing as reads - "FULL REFUND IF CANCELLATION IS WITHIN 48 HOURS OF BOOKING AND AT LEAST 14 FULL DAYS PRIOR TO LISTING'S LOCAL CHECK IN TIME."

I did show documentation regarding the move in date to my new home. The host and Airbnb were both in agreement I should only get 50% refund. The host was still able to rent her place after I canceled so she not only received my other 50% and was still able to rent it out during those dates. Good way to really bring in the money. Both parties had no regards to what would be a stressful move. I'm 61. My husband is 69. Moving overall is stressful. No regards at all.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I live near an Airbnb and they are cropping up all over the neighborhood. I feel like I live in a commercial district with prostitution and drugs coming into the neighborhood from all directions. Temporary renters are loud, smoke pot, have disruptive parties, bring in escorts in mini skirts and don't care about permanent homeowners. Unfamiliar cars are strewn through the streets and loud music blasts until late at night. My neighbor reported renters having sex in the backyard where her girl in Kindergarten was playing.

I live in a family neighborhood but now am looking at moving elsewhere due to the increase in car thefts, burglaries and sketchy people who are now being attracted to the Airbnb's. Airbnb employees are becoming billionaires and millionaires at the expense of homeowners who care deeply about their neighborhoods and my property values are falling due to fall out from Airbnb's renters who normally would never be in my neighborhood. Airbnb needs to be shut down. It is ruining my family's life and the lives of tens of thousands of other homeowners who want to live in a peaceful and stable environment.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND AIRBNB TO ANYONE!!! I had made a reservation with someone who was supposedly "quick at responding" which she wasn't. She was out of the country and it took Airbnb a couple days to hear back from her. Like way to communicate with your guests about your property and services and other questions we had. Her and the 3100 employees of Airbnb couldnt simply answer any questions or concerns I had. They will give the runaround for weeks about any issues that you may have.

They don't care that their hosts have hidden fees or break their rules. If you have a case manager for any reason, just forget it and call your credit card company dispute the charges because you will never see your money unless you actually do something. Airbnb is out for your money and doesn't give two ** about your concerns or issues that go on with the process. If you are going to book with someone please please, I beg you make sure you ask all the questions about grills, and the whole aspect of paying someone to use their home. They cannot charge you for a service dog which the first host tried to do. ** THIS **!!! ** AIRBNB!!! I hope everyone learns from my mistake, go somewhere else with your business or else you will have extra charges on your account and you won't have a good experience with them either.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Made a reservation on or around May 1st 2018, confirmed reservation with a reservation number (**) spoke with the apartment hostess, everything was in good standing, got a phone call from the host on May 22 asking me why I canceled reservation, I didn’t know my reservation was canceled, called Airbnb couldn’t get an answer on why they canceled my reservation, has a reservation for a flight I had to miss the flight cause there was no place to stay in Connecticut, could not get in contact with anybody from Airbnb finally spoke to someone today after flight was missed and was told I would receive an email from the TRUST AND SAFTEY Dept, no phone call no email nothing, they just cancelled my stay in Connecticut with out my knowledge, I was supposed to be in Connecticut for a wedding which I am apart of on June 2nd. Airplane ticket non refundable, I need to be reimbursed for my airline ticket at least.

Original review: May 22, 2018 Upon cancelling a booking due to unforeseen circumstances 25 days ago still no sight of a refund on credit card. They are quick to take payments fairly well instantly but where are our refunds, not good enough, let alone they take out the service fees, the booking was cancelled months in advance, absolute robbery,

will not use them again.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Basically, I found an acupuncture needle on my bed. I was disgusted with the situation and asking for a refund. Too bad I didnt take the photo. Apparently, Airbnb didn't even bother investigate the issue to verify what I said, which I wouldn't mind as I swear every single word I said is true. They just simply denied the refund as I couldn't provided so called "evidence"!!!

Perfect if that’s how you treat your customers. You guys don’t deal with fact but just with evidence? Did you even ask Krystal what I have mentioned is true or not? Isn’t that evidence? I believe even she couldn’t deny it! I reserve my right to take legal actions and will definitively post this incident on every single public websites I could think of. This is just doing whoever will choose Airbnb I favor. Just let them see your company’s true ugly face!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have several homes, and have hosted through Airbnb for several years. I have recruited other hosts, traveled using Airbnb, and have for many years spoken highly of Airbnb. BUT, now I have nothing good to say about the company. It started when I was out of town and a guest came carrying her bed bugs with her. Airbnb would have you believe that they have a policy on your property to help you if you have financial issues with a guest. This is a LIE.

It has cost me over $2500 in treatment, and Airbnb claims they will only give me $150 after a final inspection. This is completely stupid of them since a dog costs $400 to inspect your house, heat treatment is the only guaranteed way to remove bugs and they will not list your home again until you pay for all of this. I have had my house heat treated, which is a huge process, and guaranteed to kill off the bugs. Further they put Apprehend down to make sure they do not come back if someone brings them in again. But Airbnb is so stupid they have no idea that is the best known treatment and still wants more money spent and will only give me $150. Had it not been for Airbnb, I would never have this issue. The girl who brought the bugs was given $500/night to stay at a hotel for up to 3 nights! Lucky hotel owners! Worst customer service, will never host through them again, too much liability.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I tried Airbnb a few times now, I don't like the time wasting of making a booking and then a host declines for no good reason, I was hoping it would be a good alternative to hotels as travel all the time, but I just booked a hotel instead of the unreliability of Airbnb.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I first used Airbnb in April of 2017. I vacationed to Colorado and it went smooth and ideal. I left a positive review for the host and the host did the same for me. This was nice because after receiving a positive review, I was able to book instantly instead of waiting for owner to approve it. This came in handy for my next vacation, back to Colorado in April 2018 exactly one year later. I book a house for myself and 3 other guests (all of whom were also verified) in the middle of January 2018. I booked early in order to have a nice place to stay. Our flight left for Colorado on April 18th, 2018.

On April 17th, the day before we were due to get on a plane, Airbnb canceled my reservation. The reason was that I had been CHARGED with a felony in 2014. Although I was NEVER convicted and am NOT a felon, they canceled my reservation. They didn't ask any questions. After booking 4 months in advance, my reservation gets canceled the day before my trip and all support told me was that there was nothing they could do. I had already received a welcome message including the code to unlock the door from the owner. Regardless of the policy Airbnb has regarding their ability to choose which backgrounds to accept, they had 4 full months to inform me but did so the day before.

As mentioned this is a full year after my first stay in an Airbnb. I was later told that my account would be permanently deactivated so I could no longer dispute this matter. To say this was an inconvenience is a huge understatement. I was tasked with trying to find a place to stay for a week for 4 people with less than 24 hours notice across the country. Because of this I would never use Airbnb again even if I could and I also make sure all of my friends know of this horrible and unprofessional treatment.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Airbnb is forcing my hand by having us stay at a property that is said to have MOLD, no fire alarms, broken items = UNLIVABLE CONDITIONS. The host, whose name I don’t know, who doesn’t even have a business website, and who is not very responsive says everything is fixed and that the review was fraudulent? Now a new review comes out yesterday stating there are still missing fire alarms, a leaky ceiling, and the worst of them... BED BUGS?!?!

An Airbnb supervisor let me know that claims of bed bugs are grounds for IMMEDIATE cancellation of reservations for 1 month and a refund to all those customers. Now, the listing is STILL UP and they’re protecting that host like a guard dog. I will not force 14 of us to stay there so I will be out $2700 because Airbnb doesn’t want to do the right thing. Airbnb made $93 million in profits. Some of that profit probably from situations just like mine. Share this story!!! I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this EVER. Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky states that his company values “COMPASSION.” Is this compassionate towards their customers? I don’t think so.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have used Airbnb to rent out my rooms not realizing that they are thieves. Airbnb stole money several times. I would host guests for four nights, guest will pay all the money, then Airbnb takes it all. I canceled two reservations due to family bereavement. I explained to Airbnb why I had canceled as I could not host the guests due to two family funerals. Airbnb promised to waived the cancellation and pay me back my money which they never did. Two more bookings were made, I clearly told the guest, I can not check you in coz Airbnb is not paying me for my services. Once again that waived fee was grabbed. Guests stay well clear away from Airbnb, families ask for payment before guest check in like any other hotel does! Airbnb are blood thieves! BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

I rented a place in Napa Valley for my honeymoon and told the hosts exactly when I would be arriving and kept messaging them with updates. When I asked about a code to get in, they said I should just ring the doorbell. When we got to the rental, they were not there and had not sent over any instructions on how to get in. We called and called and waited and then eventually decided to leave and try to find a place to stay. Airbnb would not refund me for this, and when I disputed it with Bank of America, they refused the refund. I did not stay at the rental and did my part in showing up. I do not understand how I am not entitled to a refund. I will go with hotels from now on.

Original review: May 13, 2018

My host decided to cancel my reservations 9 days prior to my stay in order to extend another customer's stay. What is Airbnb doing to protect its users like me who are booking through them? Nothing. They offered me $15.00 extra on top of a full refund to help re-book another Airbnb place or just refund all my money back into my credit card. They left "host cancelled" on the host's page, charge them a cancellation fee of $50.00 that benefits them and drop the super host. The worst part was that I wasn't able to leave a review of the host that cancelled on me.

My host asked me to cancel twice so she can keep her super host status and not be charge with the cancellation fee. On top of it all, if I had agree, I wouldn't have got my refund. I feel like not being able to leave a honest review of the host's dishonesty and preference of customer stays puts the consumers at risk. Reviews are meant to be helpful in both ways, so Consumers can make a choice base on their opinions.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Airbnb is a joke!!! Not helpful at all. The "customer service" reps do not deserve to be paid for the poor service they provide. It's like a three-ring circus. The company advertises falsely. They advertise one price and then they do not honor that price. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! I hope someone shuts this Mickey Mouse outfit down soon!

Original review: May 10, 2018

My wife and I immigrated to Canada from South Africa and made one month reservation with Airbnb, at 722 Queen Street, Kitchener. The reviews and pics were great so we took it at face-value in good faith. When we arrived late at night after a 34 hour journey we found that the accommodation was an absolute dump. Unfortunately, we had to spend one night in filth before we could get out and never go back.

I took photos of the holes in the walls, the broken window, the grimy shower and sink, the mattresses in the "dining room", the well established cobwebs in the lounge, the empty curtain rail facing for the window facing the road, the filthy kitchen mat and the cement bag in the "dining room". Unfortunately, we dusted the bedside table after arriving so I couldn't take a pic of the thick layer of dust. The fact is that this house is incredibly old and run down and requires some serious attention. To make matters worse, the host, Jason, hadn't left the wifi code so we were unable to contact our friends who lived in Kitchener.

I was confident that submitting these photos to Airbnb would have meant a full refund but was sorely disappointed. They did not deem the problems to be serious and refused to give us a refund. They gave us a tiny compensation after many messages of complaint and refused to call me or allow me to speak to a manager. This is a disgrace and serious loss to us financially as newcomers in a country where we have no employment as yet. I hope nobody else experiences this by making a reservation through Airbnb and at Jason's "dump site" at 722 Queen Street, Kitchener.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We booked a two bedroom two bath apt in New York City back in December 2017 for an October 2018 visit. Payment of half was made with no problem. Suddenly, last week, I get an email that our reservation has been canceled and our deposit returned. No explanation given, and when I emailed the host, he did not respond. I called Airbnb to say how upset I was and was told someone would expedite the issue and call me back. Long story short, three days later still no call from them, with an explanation, apology or anything. Can't find any good places now as most are sold out for the area we needed. We are beyond furious! We will NEVER use Airbnb again!

Original review: May 6, 2018 Airbnb's customer service is terrible. My wife booked our first reservation for our 10th anniversary trip to London. We decided the best way to experience London was to stay with a local. Problems with our stay: (1) Address was 1/2 mile from the given address, which is relevant to train location and safety of walking at night.

(2) We were locked out by the roommate. (3) Roommate answered the door with nothing on top and only a g-string on the bottom. (4) The roommate did not have any idea we were staying there and essentially thought we were an intruder, but did not know that until the second day of what was supposed to be a five day stay.

Three strikes and you are out. That appears to be four, so we stayed too long. We told Airbnb we wanted our money back and we were leaving. They want us to try to resolve the situation with the host. I'm not sure what there is to resolve. We are not looking for something cleaner or a light bulb replaced. This is incredible unsafe. What if we were attacked by the roommate upon entry? She clearly was threatened by our presence as a young petite female. You could hear the shaking of her voice. We chose to leave and book a hotel for the next four nights. They plan to charge us full price including the days we are not staying.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We've had a about twenty guests so far on Airbnb. The only issues that have come up is how Airbnb posts guest verification information and their lack of understanding of how it is viewed. We require a government ID from the guest to be provided to Airbnb and look for that information on the person's picture. When we drill down, several items are listed but infrequently, the government ID verification is not there. As a result, I have contacted the guest and Airbnb to find out what the story is. Almost without fail, Airbnb insists they are verified although I can find no proof thereof.

The Customer Service people are not sufficiently qualified to comprehend what is going on and simply reiterate their claim that the guest is verified but have offered no explanation of how a host is supposed to figure that out. Sorry, but as a retired military person, one doesn't just take someone's word for thing. Trust but verify? Airbnb Customer Service lacks the ability or mental capacity to comprehend that though. At any rate, because of Airbnb's threatening and punitive actions, I am slowly delisting all our rooms. It's a shame, as without fail, all of our guest have been laudatory and enjoyed their stay, most simply stating that they were surprised by the quality of care shown by us as hosts. Whatever, life goes on without Airbnb.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs