1.11/5

Looking for a travel site?

248 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The additional fees are a rip-off. In the end the total costs work out more expensive than staying at a good reliable hotel in more central location. Got charged $99 service fees and $60 cleaning fees on top of $600 accommodation fee for 4 nights stay in a small apartment in Shinjuku. When I found a good 3 star hotel with breakfast included at a more Tokyo central location, which is also part of Qantas travel program, I attempted cancelling the Airbnb reservation, only to find out that you could only do this on a computer not on your phone or iPad, and that the service fee is not refundable because it was already more than 48 hours when I made the booking. I felt extremely frustrated because it said nowhere when I made the booking that the service fee is non-refundable after 48 hours. Literally a ripoff and a scam. On a note bookings through Agoda or Booking.com are free, if hotels have free cancellation policies you get all your money back.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I rented with my wife a " luxury apartment " off 5th Avenue, pay USD 850 per night for 9 nights. We checked in at 3 pm, and first thing we noticed was that the rug in the living room was seriously disgusting, red wine was spilled all over it, and it had cigarette burns. But really the worst was when we went to bed. After some minutes we realized the smell, and then it dawned on us that we were sleeping in very used sheets/bed covers/pillow cases. The next day we reported it to the owner, by Whatsapp, and he came and removed the rug, and attempted to change the linen, but he is a young lawyer, and had never changed a bed in his lifetime, so my wife ended up doing it.

When we sat down on the couch in the living room, we became aware of a strange odor emanating from it, and we lifted the cushions, and basically all the ingredients and leftovers from that enormous party which had taken place in that apartment, could be found between the cushions. We took pictures of everything, and we have of course the Whatsapp exchanges with the owner, where he confessed that both his laundry and cleaning service "had let him down".

Upon our return, I claimed a refund of USD 3500, having paid 7500 for 9 days in a disgusting apartment. It was declined by Archie in Airbnb as "minor cleanliness issues", and they offered me as a commercial gesture, USD 150, which I declined, as this was a final insult, and I have deleted my account with Airbnb, and I suggest anyone who use them, to have the accommodation verified, and if it is not 100% as per the description you have seen online, immediately contact Airbnb, and request that they find alternative/suitable/correct accommodation, corresponding to what you paid for.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I seem to have the same problem as Carol of Marietta, GA in September 2018. I had a guest that booked for 45 days. My rate was $95 per night and he was given a discount of 30%. I have screen prints that prove the discount did not exist and contacted Airbnb and let them know. One of their caseworkers admitted that there was a bug in the system and he reported to be fixed. I have a print screen of that conversation as well. I stopped hearing from him and the next person told me there was no bug and he misspoke and has been reprimanded. Even Though I had screen prints they are telling me I agreed to a discount. I am taking them to court and am very sure I will win.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This company is the brand of highways robbers using and abusing people’s need in place to stay rung fully advertising about a place. The hosts are not that far behind with edited photos of their ** place called apartment, Airbnb is not a company but Rather bunch of drunken people with a junky’s appetite for people's money, these people simply should be out of Business not other way around, they don’t create anything but getting paid by hosts with the same distribution of junk than those who tuning the Airbnb.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Checked into an Airbnb in Lawndale, CA for 2 weeks. Immediately noticed the bathroom needed a thorough cleansing. No bowls in the cabinets, microwave filthy, etc. When I confronted the host I was told he had fired the maid and would be cleaning himself. No cleaning occurred despite the fact this was a shared bathroom and guests came and went. On a Sunday night, host had a party until 4 a.m. in which all the Airbnb guests stood in the hallway asking him to turn the music down. I moved out 1 week early and requested a full refund of unused days and supplied pictures of my issues. I was told by Airbnb that they would not be refunding me since I made the decision to leave on my own accord! I will never stay at an Airbnb again and am extremely disappointed with their customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Rented a Condo in Santa Rosa beach for 1 week. When we arrived there was a Red Tide condition that was present for a least 1 week without notification to us. Dead fish on the beach and unable to breathe on the beach. 2 days into the visit a mandatory evacuation was declared for our area. Airbnb and the owner refused any reimbursement. There are better companies out there to use - I would suggest doing so...

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Airbnb pro host - No refunds whatsoever - no dispute resolution!!! Where do I begin - If I could leave no stars I would. Let's start with, we made the reservation at around 5pm. We told the host we would not be arriving until around midnight. He said no problem, just call when we got there and he would provide us a code to get in the door. When we arrived in Jersey City at midnight, I called Jason (the host) and got no answer. The neighborhood seems very sketchy. I had to call 5 or 6 times before he answered and gave us a code. We got into the place and it was about 95 degrees maybe more. There was no A/c in the apartment as described in the ad. There was 2 towels for 2 guys who were staying for 4 nights. There were no bowls, no plates and all these were mentioned in the amenities along with a coffee pot which did not exist.

We called the host, complained he did honor a $100 refund. Later that morning, we had to sit outside because the unit was so damn hot we could not take it. When we came back in to go to sleep, there were cockroaches and silverfish on the walls. This was it for us! We packed up and left and did not go back. We complained to Airbnb and they claim the $100 was a fair settlement and we should not receive any additional funds. BE AWARE - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SITUATION IS!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

When things go wrong, don’t count on Airbnb customer service to help. They don’t flex on their policies and have no consideration for your safety. Our host canceled our reservation 1 hour prior to check-in to our NYC apartment rental. I was stranded in NYC with my 2 small children, on a Friday evening of a holiday weekend, with no place to stay, and no means of support other than my phone (with limited battery life). Airbnb said it would be “really expensive” to try to rebook through them so balancing safety, timing, and finances, I opted to book a hotel room to ensure we had a place to sleep.

Following the trip, I reach out to Airbnb to request a refund for the additional expenses incurred ($600). They declined my request stating that since I already received a refund they couldn’t process any additional refunds. Additionally, they told me that since the reservation was canceled I couldn’t leave a review. They also shared that this was not the first time the host canceled and assured me the host would be banned. Airbnb’s lack of transparency with its policies (customer service should have explained it) and flexibility is appalling. They weren’t helpful in the moment and weren’t open to considering that I was legitimately stranded and needed to make a quick decision to ensure the safety of my family.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Property not as described in listing. Ad mentioned street parking available, There was no parking to be found late night. Inadequate lighting at property entrance. Had to use a flashlight to insert the key. Ad mentioned shared bath but did not mention 4 bedrooms shared the bath! Just not available Friday and Saturday. Had to move to hotel. Location Hollywood CA.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We had a deceitful host, my rental advisor, advertise a private home on Airbnb. We booked and on the day of check in we found the place to be unsuitable to stay with a foul smell and mold all over the home. We then found out the home was fumigated with poisons for rats, cockroaches and termites. The host wouldn't get refund us so we went to Airbnb to resolve our issue. We wrote to Airbnb and asked for their help to resolve our issue. They reached out to the host who refused to refund us even though we did not and could not stay in the home with the poisons.

When the host refused to refund us they simply told us case was closed. Nothing they could do. As an intermediary party, they should have done something to help us with this deceitful host. Unfortunately they were hiding behind their policy of the host refused to refund us thus they can't do nothing. They clearly wanted no part in helping us or even trying to understand our difficulty. What is the point of paying a service fee to Airbnb if they can't even investigate and resolve an issue and protect the vulnerable party. Absolutely terrible company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

We reserved an Airbnb in Washington DC about 10 months before trip. While travelling, Airbnb cancelled our booking about 1 week prior to that visit... Reason? Because the house owner was not complying, with their rules... They were warned 3 times... Did not comply so were taken off the site. Instead of penalizing the apartment themselves they actually penalised us more as we are stuck with nowhere to stay. The American office then emailed us to give us other choices of accommodation then booked it for us. We are Canadian so unknowingly they booked it in US dollars without telling us. That was a natural mistake as the agent didn't even think of that. But for us it meant another 30% increase. Their office would not do anything, even was going to penalise us for cancelling. We will never use their service again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have to say I have never in my life been so offended. I have yet to even rent through Airbnb and I recently went on to search for something and my account was locked. I tried to get it to unlock and they asked for my ID photo. I sent it and then I got this horrible letter and now they won't respond back. How is it possible that they can block me when I have never even rented? I am not a criminal, nor have I ever been arrested or have even a parking ticket. I have a high powered career, am educated and have a family.

This is not only insulting but it leads me to believe they are discriminating somehow. I am trying to speak to someone and don't want to take this to an attorney but with them not responding and blocking me, I feel that I need to. Who writes something like this to anyone let alone someone who has never even used their service. Just trying to get someone on the customer service side to call me and explain this action. Going to post everywhere until someone calls me back. Completely unacceptable.

Letter from Airbnb. "Thanks for reaching out. We regret to inform you that we'll be unable to support your account moving forward, and have exercised our discretion under our Terms of Service to disable your account(s). This decision is irreversible and will affect any duplicated or future accounts. Please understand that we are not obligated to provide an explanation for the action taken against your account. Furthermore, we are not liable to you in any way with respect to disabling or canceling your account. Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with respect to such matters, and this decision will not be reversed. We'll contact you if anything changes in the future, but until then, we won't be able to assist you any further with your account issues. Please see our Help Center for further information."

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Terrible customer service. They say they'll call you back, but when they do, you'll still may wait on hold for 15+ minutes. Eventually, you'll get connected to a useless idiot in India who speaks in a fake American accent, has a fake American name, and doesn't listen to anything you say. They have a very poor interface with your local government, and when something goes wrong will not warn you in advance. Instead, they'll just cancel all your upcoming visitors. That'll BE your notice that something has gone wrong. You'll have to email your local government to find out what the actual problem is, because Airbnb's tech isn't good enough to determine the problem and convey it to you.

After you correct the issue with the local government, there once again is very poor communication between them and that government. I've been stuck at this stage for over a month now, and I can't get Airbnb and our government to talk, so Airbnb knows that I've met all their new requirements to host, and should reinstate my listing.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I cancelled my booking 5 days after making the reservation and 3 weeks ahead of the reservation. My host was pleasant and offered a full refund if she could rebook, which she could. Airbnb charged me a service fee (although no service was provided) and despite their stated policy which reads: "We may waive the cancellation fee, depending on how many times you’ve already canceled. After that, the following fee will be deducted from your first payout after a cancellation. The amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the reservation and how soon before check-in you canceled".

I have never cancelled before. Further, they listen on the phone and then decline via email. It sounds like they are listening and support their guests, but in reality don't and care only for their own fees. Most hotels would never have charged a fee and certainly not a "service fee" when no fee was received. Further, they should at least be transparent on the phone and say they will not honor their policies and consider a refund, so that you can speak with a manager or escalate the problem. I hope that a consumer advocate will look into their policies.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The room was fine... Until we got kicked out of it because AirBnB double booked us, even though we paid through Monday. We got kicked out of our room on Sunday to accommodate the incoming guests. We sat in our truck for 6 hours waiting on Airbnb to resolve this issue, so our last day on our short vacation was ruined completely. Then to top it all off, Airbnb didn't help us out AT ALL. On a good note, Vacasa is going to reimburse us for having to pay for a hotel. I will never use Airbnb again! And I suggest to anyone booking with them to think again. I will only book with Vacasa from now on!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

They are THIEVES! They blame the Host, but keep their portion of the fees. I am not unreasonable and understand the Cancellation Policy, but we had a Hurricane ruin wedding plans that involved an active Army Service member and they kept 50% (Thousands of Dollars) for nothing with months to go until the date. They are a website and nothing else. Many other Real Estate sites to choose from with the same properties that don't rob customers and then hide from their Customer Service responsibility. Absolute tragedy paying as much money as I did for literally nothing. Be careful with expensive booking... The fees are set on percentage and you could lose thousands for never even staying there after 48 hours even though the event was 4 months away. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

As an Airbnb host, Airbnb completely let me down!!! When I rented my home to a customer, I never expected to come back home to a deserted party house. It was very obvious that the woman who stayed there over the weekend threw a party that got out of hand. We submitted pictures and invoices to Airbnb letting them know the damages and proof of what we paid in repairs. Airbnb declined to hold the woman accountable and/or help us to cover any of the costs themselves, with no explanation why. Since then, I’ve decided that the risk of allowing strangers to stay in my home is too risky when the company who is supposed to protect your home doesn't do the right thing. I encourage everyone to steer clear of Airbnb and find another source to rent out your home.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I booked a reservation over a month ago. 2-days before check-in, my Airbnb hosts says that they can't accommodate the booking anymore because they themselves have nowhere else to go??? I then call Airbnb customer service who apologizes for the inconvenience and gives me a 10% credit for my next Airbnb booking as I will now have to pay more than double for alternate accommodations for my 80-year old parents who are arriving in just 2-days.

I then book another Airbnb so I can apply the 10% credit. That host confirms the booking and then sends me an alternate booking request saying that she can't host my parents at the place that I chose but that she has "alternate accommodations available". I ask to see pictures of the place to which I get no response. I now have 1-day and 1/2 before my parents arrive. I start looking online and find "alternate accommodations" she's talking about. It's in a different city 30 minutes away and has bunk beds. I ask her about this and she says "it's not really bunk beds". I told her the pictures that I found online clearly shows that you need to climb a ladder to get to the single bed that is on top of the other bed. That is a freaking bunk bed!!!

My 80-year old parents are not sleeping in bunk beds 30 minutes away from me. I then ask her to cancel my request so that I can AGAIN find suitable alternate accommodations. 12-hours later and 12-hours until my parents arrive, I still have no response. I call Airbnb directly and they say they will call the hostess but can't apply the credit to my account. What the hell is this fraudulent company and what kind of people do they deal with as their host/hostesses. NEVER BOOK WITH AIRBNB!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I've just finished up with more than 16 hours of customer support service and somehow we at no point were able to come to a resolution. I was fully made aware that your policy is to not help find listings for 3rd party bookings and was told several times that this was breaking protocol, but I did at this point let the staff know that I’d stay with my mom as well in order to void the seemingly insurmountable problem. Once we crossed this hurdle, I won't deny that your teams did try to assist us in finding listings we had already found on our own many times over (you have a very big staff, I may have spoken to more than half of them). I will admit that it would have been more helpful if the people helping us and looking at the maps happened to be familiar with the neighborhoods, the real life distances between them opposed to the perceived distances one sees on a map.

For example, many of the listings you provided us with were in Cypress Hill/East New York. Now, I can’t speak to the danger of these neighborhoods myself because I’ve always been warned to be careful if I found myself there and consequently, I never have. I can speak to the real life distance between where I am staying and where I was having my mother stay. While it may seem close on a map, one of the fundamental ways of getting around NYC is by public transit and the small number of these places were all nearing an hour away on methods of transit that all too often are unreliable. When it comes down to it, we chose the place we chose because of its safe location and relative proximity to me. My mom doesn’t travel very often and is unfamiliar with NYC let alone the outskirts of Queens/Brooklyn.

Also, I’m really curious about your policies in regards to protecting guests against such last minute cancellations as the one I experienced. I (My mother and guest, whom the host was very aware were the guests) was due to check in today, Wednesday October 3 at 3.00 pm ET. The host canceled my reservation yesterday, Tuesday October 2 at 5.00pm ET.

I’ve looked over your policies and all they state is that you can roll the funds from your canceled Airbnb into a new Airbnb or to have your reservation refunded, which according to your staff can take up to a whole 15 days! While the former solution may work on paper, it’s ludicrous to think that one could find a comparable place within less than 24 hours. Additionally, in places like NYC and I imagine other highly touristic metropolitan cities, places book fast, like extremely fast. If you’ve ever tried to book an Airbnb even a week out from a trip you’ll find the options are severely limited, so for your policies to not ensure some sort of back up for cancellations such as this really makes me lose confidence and even second guess all the trips I’ve taken with you in the past.

It’s also worth mentioning that the penalties you list for hosts do not equate to the losses the guests ultimately end up facing, potentially not having a place to stay/being out the reservation cost for up to 15 days. Your host cancellation policy states that cancellations more than 7 days out deduct $50 dollars from the hosts next payout. The policy goes on to state that cancellations made less than 7 days out deduct $100 less from the hosts following payout.

Neither the host nor the guest cancellation policies mention anything about cancellations less than 24 hours from a reservation, except for a mere review being placed on the host’s page or a potential ban from hosting. More notable though, is that you have no policy in place to protect your guests from such a situation. As I’ve mentioned above, it’s nearly impossible to find vacancies in hotels or Airbnb’s with little lead time and putting guests in situations like this in places where they are unfamiliar is not only negligent, but also dangerous.

Guys, I’ve sworn by Airbnb for a long time… Since my first experience using it. All of my friends use Airbnb. Collectively, myself and the people I know have traveled through Europe, India, South America, and Africa using Airbnb. I cannot imagine being in a foreign country where I’m unfamiliar with the language or the landscape and having this happen to me. Ultimately, after over 16 hours of worrying over this, we were ultimately unable to come to a resolution, the Airbnb’s we did net out on were being booked or taken off the site under our noses by the minute and if it weren’t for us having close relationships in New York, I really don’t know what we would have done.

I can’t say I feel confident ever really using Airbnb again after this and will have to make all my friends wary of the guest protection you’ve failed to provide and severely need to have in place. I hope you take this note sincerely, as I truly was a dear fan of the service and really believed this platform could disrupt and change what is the mundane hotel industry.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Booked the place over 6 months in advance. Received all the confirmations and even an email from the owner. Week before the trip, contacted the owner and he said it was never for rent (at all, which makes no sense). Airbnb promised to rebook and would call me back with options. They never did. I had to call back multiple times. "Someone will call you tomorrow" - never did. I called back again (x3), "I'll send you similar options in 15 minutes." They sent me 1 option, that was already booked?!? They couldn't find anything close. Will NEVER use Airbnb again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Inquired on AirBnB chat as to why customers are able to book at a lower rate than others for 1-2 day stay. My price is set at $34.00 per night but some guests are booking at $27.50 per night. Other guests during the same week are booking at $34.00 per night. I wrote this in my chat, AirBnB customer service response "customers booking weekly or monthly stays are given a discount". I again reiterated that these were 1-2 night stays. AirBnB responded that I had agreed to 10% discount for customers". I never agreed to this and the representative is obviously not educated because a 10% discount off of $34.00 would be $30.60.

When I asked her to explain further she wrote: "Carol, unfortunately I'm unable to resolve your case, so I am transferring your case to a team that can better assist you. The next available specialist will review our conversation and reply here. Thank you for your patience; please note that response times may vary." I waited for over an hour and no specialist picked up the chat. AirBnB needs to know that these customer service reps are poorly representing their brand with their total lack of basic math and just guessing at a resolution.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I gave Airbnb a new card number when I had to stop using the original one that had been cancelled. When I did that they didn't allow me to delete the old card. When I had to cancel they refunded my money on the old card. The credit card company will not refund my money to me as Airbnb said they would. Bank of America says Airbnb has to do a chargeback to retrieve the money and then refund to the correct card. Airbnb wrote that they DO NOT DO CHARGEBACKS. It is how their system is set up. They even put in writing that their system always uses the original card number no matter if it has been stolen, lost or cancelled. I am out my money.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I am both a guest and host. For the most part Airbnb has been a good experience. However I have found they did not protect their hosts. I'm guessing maybe due to who pays them. I clearly offered a strict nonsmoking condo. My guest stayed 2-3 weeks and smoked inside the condo the entire time, to the point the cleaning crew went twice after their stay to try and remove the strong odor of cigarette smoke. In addition I had to change all filters, and clean any fabric, curtains, sofa, chairs, rugs, etc. that absorbed smoke. After the fact I found a cushion turned over on a chair with a cigarette burn in it.

The airbnb representative said I did not have enough documentation for my very reasonable $300 claim. This cost me closer to $500, not including a full day of my own time to prepare for next guest or repairing or replacing the burnt chair cushion. I received nothing in spite of the written notice from a third party cleaning crew informing me of the strong odor of cigarette smoke. Don't expect them to support any legitimate claim.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been a host with Airbnb for over a month and they are refusing to answer my emails and pay my first payout. First they dropped a number in my bank account which I noticed when the account wasn't showing a deposit, then they locked me out of making any changes to the account and told me they couldn't send the amount until I made the changes. I told them the changes had been made before I was locked out and the account is now set up and working. I have had no reply from them. The help person was no help at all and was saying sales speak with no meaning or relevance. I have found if you speak out they hold you to ransom. Poor service and a pack of thieves. If anyone is having trouble verifying as a host and doesn't wish to download the app. you can become verified through being a guest.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I rented a cabin near Evergreen Colorado over Labor Day week. The host did not have an honest description of the property. The property did not have a driveway and you were forced to park on the side of a mountain, also the road that lead to the property was a freshly grated dirt road on a steep incline. When we contacted the site about this issue and how unsafe it was they did nothing about it. The host refused to refund any of the money even though we did not stay at cabin. I asked the site to look into this and they choose not to listen to me. The host called me a liar and said that any vehicle could make it to the location. I am out over $700 with no help from the site. It took them over 2 weeks to respond to my claim. The initial email that they sent me said that they would have it resolved in 72 hours. This was not the case. Do not use this site. Stick to reputable sites that care about their client's safety and money.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had a serious fall in an Airbnb bath which obviously did not have a non-slip surface nor was a mat provided. My insurance claim was denied with no mention of a process for an appeal. I wrote asking for an appeal and was told by the administrator that they were referring the request back to their "client" which was Airbnb, not an insurance company. Six weeks later after two requests from me for information I got another denial. I was not given a chance to make a case for my appeal. I have asked for an independent review. My plan for next steps is to make a complaint to the California Attorney General's office. This is something all complainants can do. Don't waste your time with customer service. The more complaints against them the greater the scrutiny they will come under.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have been a host with AIRBNB for 3 months and have used AIRBNB as a guest for several years. I am appalled at the way they treat the hosts. I am a single woman and am being penalized for not accepting guests who 1) have no identification; 2) no reviews, and 3) no information on them. MY GOD! Doesnʻt Airbnb care about women? I guess not! We are supposed to accept everyone into our home to get in the good graces of this company. SHAME ON THEM.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

On the 13th of September I have decided to cancel my Airbnb reservation (**). According to the policy on the website: "For full refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made within 48 hours of the reservation and at least 14 full days prior to the local check-in time (or 15:00, if not specified) of the notice day of check-in." Although that's not what the steps of cancellation showed me on the website. Instead of €946,71 (total paid) - €133,96 (fee) it showed €421,39. Therefore I called Airbnb and by the first conversation the attendant wasn't helpful at all, he didn't know what to answer then he put the call on hold for several minutes. In the end he said "you should be fine" & that he would set the system to refund me the full price I paid (€946,71) minus the fee (€133,96), which I agreed. He also confirmed that €812,75 was the amount refundable.

A couple minutes later I received an email confirming that the reservation had been cancelled but the amount refundable was €421,39 (which is already in my bank account). That is extremely disrespectful with the customer by "misunderstanding" the information and in the end I am the one who had a big deficit for something that wasn't my fault but Airbnb's fault! I have the whole conversation filmed and recorded. I was hoping that somebody from the Airbnb team would solve this ridiculous situation. It's been 5 days they call me, transfer the calls, say it's a misunderstanding but no solutions at all. I'm gonna travel in the next days plus I just lost money and I don't have any accommodation so far.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been hosting with them for almost 5 years, and have 2 very successful listings. I had a guest who they let cancel over the phone after the check in time (I had already paid a cleaning lady) and then allowed that person to give me a bad review. How will someone who cancelled and never even saw my place give me a 1 star review for cleaning? I keep asking them to take it down but no, the same robotic answer, "It doesn't violate our policies." They are impossible to get in touch with, you can't call them only they can call you. Terrible support and this guest was a first time Airbnb user, then today I get an email saying I won't be featured in searches because I got a bad review. Really not happy with the support after all the money I am making them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Airbnb sends email reminder to review your stay, which is good but misleading. My email reminder was "Sep 14 is the last day you can review your stay..." I went on to review the stay only to realize I couldn't. I called customer service & after speaking to 3 persons I then was told that it's at the time you checked out that your review was until then 14 days after. Yes I knew was 14 days after but had no clue was the time of checkout. Had I known this or if the email was clearly stated I could have review on time cause the homeowners were very great with us during our stay. The email reminder should had stated more clearly since that was the main purpose. As with any other company, the date I expected was at the end of the day. My intention was to give a 5 star review for the stay.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs