1.21/5
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Airbnb

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

58 Airbnb Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

When Airbnb changed their calendar format it cancelled all my blocked dates. I did not know about this until a guest made a booking on a blocked date. Of course I had to regret and apologize to the guest. Airbnb only arrogantly warned me that they would remove my listing if it happened again. I explained what had happened but no apology... US companies never apologize... must be their lawyers. Also I get guests that ask for contact information and I have to tell them that Airbnb does not allow it. Airbnb puts all the onus on the hosts. Their model is good but fading fast. I would love to have other business to work with.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Last year during the summer I rented an RV in Winter Haven in order to take the family to Legoland. We arrived at the RV and from outside it seemed nice next to a pond. We stepped inside the RV and the family got hit in the face with a poop stench. We couldn’t get ahold of the owner until a few hours later. Wife and kids couldn’t breathe because of the horrific ODOR emitting from the toilet which engulfed the entire RV. Finally, we jumped back into our car and drove to a nearby hotel.

Later, I got ahold of the owner via email AIRBNB website and she agreed to reimburse us 80%. WTH? I wrote a review on their website which they never posted and immediately deleted. Just the last part should be a red flag. Why won’t they let customers submit real reviews and not only nice ones? The AIRBNB folks are dishonest that’s why. This is my second time using AIRBNB and my last one. First time was pretty good, but if you don’t care to post my negative reviews about a property then I don’t want to use your service again. Good luck using AIRBNB. It’ll be a 50/50 chance.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

The biggest crooks and the worst business ever. They removing reviews of bad guests with no reasons because they know bad reviews gonna demolish people accounts and they not gonna use Airbnb and go to hotels, because hosts wouldn't host them. It happened at least 3 times with me when Airbnb always could find something in my negative review to guest that violates their policy. The last case was literally catching off guard when the guy who stayed in our hostel made a drama on his last night staying when police almost came over because the girl he hang out with accused him in putting illegal substances in the drink and this screwed up idiot lost his wallet under the bed accusing people in stealing it. We saved that idiot from police almost coming for him because we talked to the girl and calmed her down.

All case was described in the review and Airbnb of course removed it as defamatory content!! Together with his 5 star review to my place!! What a bunch of crooks. Stay away from this company. They never filter people. If you are host, believe me, those positive reviews don't mean anything. Airbnb is removing negative especially very bad negative reviews. Bunch of crooks, shame on you Airbnb.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I would give it a zero if I could. The room at the Fontainebleau that was reserved 6 mos in advance and paid in full with receipt and reservation number was not cancelled by the owner the day of arrival. We flew across the country for Valentine's weekend and now I am now fighting to get my money back for a room that didn't exist.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Found a great home on Whidbey Island "Anchors away" right on the beach. Will be there for a wedding later this summer. After inputting all my info, they then decide my ID is not a match with my picture. Hello. That's me. What can you do? They thought it was OK enough to take my $1000 payment for the rental! Then cancelled my reservation at 2 am the next morning, stating they couldn’t ID me! Never called, never gave me a chance to submit another picture.

I then took time off the next day to obtain a new state ID (paper copy people, they don’t hand you a hard copy the same day) then the owner tells me he misunderstand my message to him and accepted another person’s request to rent the property. He didn’t want them to write a bad review as they are attending a wedding close by that summer. Really? Chances are good it’s the same wedding! So my review won’t mean anything I guess! Now I’m out of $1000 to apply for another rental, could take 10-15 days for a refund. Very frustrating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Rented home in Cape Coral, Florida thru Airbnb. The host was Michelle of MHB Property Management. The house **. When we arrived we couldn't get in. The host had to be called, the host didn't return the call. Another person we had not dealt with did, after we go in there were no directions to operate the pool or hot tub. Again we called the host but no one returned our call, the stove was leaking gas so bad the women were scared to use it (very dangerous situation). The maid service left a note apologizing for not completing the cleaning of the house which we paid $325.00 for the cleaning service. Contacted Airbnb and the host company and they blew us off because THEY WERE ALREADY PAID! Sad state of affairs!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

We rented a house from Airbnb for 3 days. The description never said it was a trailer/modular home. First arrived and there was a garage right by the back patio. Man came out wearing a pair of jeans and no shirt. He was not the host. He worked most of the day. Customer service said that since I didn’t have a picture of the man it was out of their hands. Dining room light was missing 3 light bulbs and kitchen ceiling fluorescent light did not work. Call host and they brought us over light bulbs but kitchen light was never fixed. Pulled a baking pan out and it was full of rust. Stove burners did not work. There was food under the couch cushions. Description said House was walking distance to wineries. Not true. Contacted customer service when I got home to requests refund and sent them some of the pictures I took.

Was told that since a picture of the kitchen ceiling was never shown in the house pictures on their site it didn’t matter if the lights didn’t work. They said they contacted the host and he said the stove worked. I sent them pictures of a pan on the burner with the stove dial turned on but no flame. I was told that since I did not contact customer service within 12 hours after checking in and did not call the host every time there was something wrong we were not entitled to any refund. They gave us a credit for a future rental for the $60 we paid for the service fee. We paid $240 a night and definitely was not worth it. All of the reviews for the house gave him a 5 star rating. I really feel that the reviews are false. I wrote a negative review but it was not put on the listing.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I booked a place for my husband to stay for a month. What transpired was horrible. The place was cluttered. The bed had missing planks and you fell through sometimes. Fridge was filthy. The worst part was the bathtub screen was broken, so to get in and out of the bathtub/shower you had to sit on a ledge and squish your feet around. My husband hurt his back getting out and he finally checked out. The air conditioner doesn't work in the room he booked and in Australian heat this is unacceptable.

The host was rude and abusive and when issue were brought up you were dismissed like there was nothing wrong. Airbnb did nothing, they just said no case and closed it. They were unable to get the money back from the host. We have forked out extra money instead of having a cost effective option. We will never be booking a place on Airbnb again and we will be recommending this to other people we meet. It seems there are a lot more fraudulent people listing their homes on Airbnb and getting away with it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Last week I booked a place for my family to stay for a week through Airbnb. After a couple of hours I received my reservation confirmation. Within a few minutes I received a text from the owners stating that the amount was not right and that it would be several hundred more dollars per night if I wanted to stay there. I thought it was some kind of a scam! I had to leave my home for the evening within a few minutes of getting this text. I thought I would wait and see if anything more would come of it. When I got home I immediately went to bed. After I was asleep someone from Airbnb called me and woke me up. I heard them say something about an emergency. I said I was sleeping and they had woken me up. And I knew it was not an emergency!

She kindly apologized and said she would email me. The next morning I did have an email from her and another text from the owners. Now telling me to call and cancel my reservation. If I wanted to stay with them it was now even more than it was the day before in the text. What a joke! Needless to say, I did not cancel but I was cancelled by Airbnb. Not that I would ever want to book through them again. This was my first and last time for that. I have booked many times through VRBO and I will go back to them again. I have traveled a lot and have NEVER been told that I owed more money after I had booked my room, unit or house. Totally ridiculous. I have been told I will receive a full refund. Hopefully I do.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I was part of an adult and professional family who rented an expensive house through AIRBNB for four weeks so I speak from bitter and first hand experience. On both sides of the house we rented through AIRBNB there were major construction works being carried out. Let me be clear - these were not renovations or extensions or repairs - but brand new builds. THEY DID NOT COME ABOUT AFTER OUR BOOKING BUT WERE KNOWN TO THE HOST AT THE TIME OF BOOKING. They were major building sites - in what was described as a quiet residential area. At NO time whatsoever did the host point this issue out to us. The overriding comment I am making is this. Problems within a rented AIRBNB can crop up after the 24 hour period. They do not always happen within the first 24 hours.

We encountered some noise and disruption when we arrived. We were surprised but didn’t fully take in the far reaching consequences it would have. Having travelled 10,000 miles to be there we were however, exhausted and also extremely tied up with other family business which had drawn us to the host’s property in the first instance. The noise levels exacerbated to such a degree during our stay that it was categorically impossible to remain. There was massively loud machinery operating all day - and we were meant to be enjoying the warm weather outside on the decking area. Loud radios, workmen shouting, hammering, drilling, angle grinders, so on and so on. Absolutely impossible to live with. We were even asked by the next door neighbor if we would be going out at any point as he wanted to use some exceptionally loud equipment to bring down part of a wall.

No-one in their right mind would choose knowingly to spend almost £6,000 on a holiday rental plus all the other attendant travel costs with this imposition on either side of them. In addition there were parts of the property (equipment, lighting) which did not work - this only came to light as time went on and not within the first 24 hours. Requests to the host for information as to how to work various things were not answered. Such was the dirt within some of the kitchen drawers - again, coming to light after the first 24 hours, I had to strip them out, wash and disinfect them before I was prepared to use them and the utensils, equipment inside them. Live cockroaches I can deal with - dead ones should have been shifted before our arrival. The outdoor deck area was simply filthy. The garden described as lush was a bare lawn, some surrounding green shrubs and a shed/garage which was delegated and with a load of rubble and junk in it.

I can’t dress the deck up any other way - it was simply dirty, not bothered with and unprepared. This was meant to be our ‘special’ place. Coming from a relatively cold country, we wanted to be outdoors in the heat. I should add that not all the house was like this - parts were fine and as described, parts were okay, but come on - where are people supposed to hang their clothes for four weeks when they are not allowed to use the wardrobes? We have dated photographic and video graphic evidence supporting our findings which seemingly are of no consequence whatsoever to AIRBNB. It would seem to be just tough luck!

Moving onto subsequent dialogue with the host following our complaint to AIRBNB we found her responses to be beyond shocking. They were defamatory, uncouth and dishonest. I take strong exception to being described as a ‘lying whinging pom’ which if I remember correctly was the term the host used. The host leveled accusations at us which frankly rocked us to the floor and she absolutely and utterly lied. I don’t use the term lightly - she didn’t ‘embellish' some facts - she downright lied. We are all a professional, upstanding and decent family and would never abuse someone else’s home. Never! Indeed we left it in a better state than we found it.

We asked AIRBNB for a face to face meeting which was refused. We offered to show a member of her family who visited the day we were leaving around the property to check it and he refused. We asked for a reasonable financial recompense from AIRBNB for the ruination of our holiday which was refused. (We were given a refund for the 8 days we cancelled due to the unforgiving circumstances we found ourselves in but not for any of the other issues we encountered - some after the 24 hour period.) We have been continually fobbed off by AIRBNB with the 24 hour response comment which is simply ridiculous and I am surprised it is legal. I would also add that getting through to AIRBNB on the telephone is farcical and more than time consuming. I can honestly say we lost at least 3 days of our trip through phone calls, packing, moving to another place as it was impossible to complete our stay in the rental we had chosen.

We also lost money by having to take on a hotel booking due to the issues we encountered at our initial rental. AIRBNB have no interest in this whatsoever and seemingly no policies which actually work to protect the consumer. I would NEVER use AIRBNB again. Any assurances they offer are flimsy at best and non existent in reality at worst. If this property which we rented was a house swap for instance or let’s say a house sit, we might have put up with it and thought, “Well its bad luck on our part but so be it,” but this was a paid for expensive rental with a description on AIRBNB’s own website which bore scant resemblance to the reality when living there and from we can see so far - no safeguarding procedures for the renter.

There are always extenuating circumstances why things don’t work in a property which we understand fully or why external issues might appear unexpectedly but there is no excuse for purposely misleading people and there is certainly no excuse for dirt. This was a property which was described as beautiful, designer etc etc - and AIRBNB have left us high, dry and out of pocket even though we have explained in detail what the problems were. We shall continue to deal with this problem through further legitimate routes and with different support and social information mechanisms as AIRBNB have simply washed their hands of us and our situation and have no care for our problem whatsoever.

All they say is that their decision is final. Well, it may be final for them but we shall exhaust our options to achieve what we believe to be a more fair conclusion to this debacle. We note (as far as we can determine) that this property is currently de-listed from AIRBNB’s site although whilst we were there it was up for rental.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I recently went on our first trip to Europe, just my 10 year old and myself. One stop was in Denmark for 3 days in December. The apartment we rented from Jaroslav and Lina ** had no heat and wasn't as described. Upon entering, there was an unusual smell, but we just figured that different countries cook different foods and not every place smells like home.

We had to ask for blankets because it was about 20 degrees outside in an unheated appt. I didn't want to make waves and it was basically just a place for us to sleep at night since we were sightseeing during the day. We came home about a week before Christmas and about a week later, I tried logging into Airbnb unsuccessfully. Wouldnt let me log in. A week later, I went to my PC and was able to log in and found a scathing review of how the room smelled so bad they had to throw pillows away. I don't know what they are talking about, it's insane! We never even had pillows! We actually used our coats as pillows as we didn't have any.

The foul smell was there as evidenced by all the Air Wick fresheners they had going. We never ate in the room, we are clean people, literally only slept there since we didn't want to waste any time. The owners were in and out and never said a word about a foul smell. Airbnb would not allow me to respond since my 14 days had expired due to me being able to log in. I was not notified I had a negative review to respond to and now they are not allowing me to do anything. I'm stuck with this review saying we smelled up their room for a month! It's terrible and has made me feel awful and Airbnb will not do a thing about these lies. Awful company. Images I added show the cleanliness of the room when we left. All this and more was sent to Airbnb.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

We have had 2 cancellations with Airbnb. Last one they had $2000 of our money for almost 5 months and cancelled with no interest or bonus at all. Of course no other places or I would have picked them initially. We booked VRBO for years and never had an issue.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My daughter and I both tried to take pictures of our government issued IDs and our faces, in order that we might make a reservation. We are not stupid. We have both graduated from high school which should be all one would need in order to fill out a reservation. In addition, we have between us two Bachelor of Art degrees, two Master degrees, and one Ph. D. But could we make a reservation? Why no, we couldn't. It seems neither of us was capable of taking pictures that were up to Airbnb's standards.

Why can't you just take a credit card, or ask for cash on arrival, or do any of the things that businesses do? Actually, submitting a copy of our tax returns would be easier than jumping through the hoops you set up for your would-be users. I understand you want to protect your profits, and the fees the property holders get for usage of their rooms. But how about protecting me? My blood pressure is going through the roof right now.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Very troublesome and deceitful - I booked an accommodation with AirBnB. They sent a confirmation number confirming complete and paid reservation. The next morning they canceled my reservation, saying I needed a new photo and government ID. They should not have confirmed and charged me if they didn't have all the information they required. This happened once before as well.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was a host on Airbnb and the guest completely ruined my home. I wrote a negative review of the guest but Airbnb removed it. Airbnb does not what negative reviews to impact your profit margin. That means you don't see negative reviews of guests, Which means you are unprotected. That means that guest will destroy someone else's home. Airbnb is unethical and hypocritical. They talk about community but it's a lie.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Recently, the Trust and Security Dept. took my account offline because some unknown source may have hacked it. I was promised the situation would be resolved in one day and it's been more than a week that my account has been offline. I am a SuperHost and have had this status since the company started the program. As a SuperHost, we have tasked with making 5-star reviews in Communication, Accuracy, and Value. Obviously, Airbnb cannot produce the same.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Airbnb refused to accept a complaint regarding 726 7th St., Astoria, OR, a property advertised on Airbnb that the inside temperature was only 5 degrees warmer than sleeping in a car/outdoors in the winter in Oregon. Other guest were visually observed in their beds because the house is freezing. Guests have to sleep in a jacket, a hood, mittens, sweaters, fleece clothing, numerous pair of socks. The female hostess throws insults at guests who request a refund.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My family and I wanted to visit Montreal for 3 days and decided to book a place through Airbnb, instead of paying for hotel. The booking process was easy and simple as usual, so no problem there. The day we were supposed to arrive, our host told us that there is a leak in his condo and is unable to host us. He was extremely nice and offered us a free stay at another condo, however we wanted something different so we declined the offer. We went on Airbnb AGAIN, because we thought we just had a bad luck and it was nobody's fault.

We booked another unit, not too far away and we're excited to check-in and start our vacation. As soon as we opened the door, we realized that the place is filthy. Im talking urine on the bathroom floor, bottles and trash everywhere, dirty bed sheets... etc. The unit also smelled like cigarettes. Simply disgusting. Again, we emailed the host right away, but it took him 30 min to respond. We tried calling Airbnb to inform about the situation and to try to get our money back, but again, 30 min later, we were still on hold. Simply unacceptable!!!

Finally, got a hold of the host (it was 7 pm, so around 4 hours after arriving in Montreal) and after 30 min back and forth, we were finally promised full refund. Hungry and upset, we opted for a hotel, which cost us double than what we originally planned on spending. It is 3 days later, and we still haven't received any of the refunds. When talking to the host, he said the refund was issued 2 days ago. He also tried to contact Airbnb 4 times but was put on hold for hours at a time. Now, I have no idea where my money is and how long it will take to receive it.

Tried calling Airbnb and the same thing happened. Was put on hold for at least 30 mins. I dont understand why Airbnb charges in advance when accidents like this happen. I also don't understand why the refunds take that long, but the charge is instant. If we didn't have credit cards and savings our vacation would have been ruined before it even started. We also had to stay 1 day less because we were way over our budget. Extremely disappointing. Never using Airbnb again!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I am a homeowner listing on Airbnb. Their customer service is horrible. My listing is corrupted so that I can't respond to requests for bookings. I have spent hours on hold with a series of reps who haven't helped. One rep refused to believe my story and I had to send her screenshots of the problems on the site. After spending 20 minutes on hold each time I got cut off twice. Supervisor was supposed to call me back. He never did. They redact emails and phone numbers so you and potential guest can't contact each other directly. So far I have lost 2 bookings. And don't know what to do next.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Rented what was billed as a "very nice condo on a golf course". When I arrived it was actually a filthy trailer soaked in cigarette residue uninhabitable. The pictures used in the ad were not even the same property. The host persuades you to pay her directly on PayPal, then when you arrive offers a refund when you can't tolerate staying there. She never provides the refund & Airbnb won't help you because you've paid the host directly (at her urging of course). This is the listing, in Cathedral City CA: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4949043. Beware of this listing. Airbnb continues to provide listing for this fraud. In person she appears with her elderly mother & the 2 of them are extremely charming. The charm ends when you attempt the promised refund and the host begins hurling insults via text & email.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

No rating as so poor... Arrived at a property at 3.30pm for 2 nights, left following morning at 11am. Property filthy in places especially kitchen- oven and fridge, bed at point of collapse, prescription drugs for owner in drawer in the kitchen accessible to anyone (we had children with us). Owner refusing 1 night's refund as we left without giving them notice or chance to rectify?! Would have taken them longer than the 2 nights we had booked to rectify! Airbnb NO help! In favor of owner! Absolutely disgusted with their total lack of care! Ripoff company! No wonder on Ripoff Britain this morning!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I had what I thought was a confirmed reservation for Ken's condo in Bangkok. And, about one month out, I received an email that Ken had "canceled". I could not believe it. Host are able to cancel. And, while Airbnb claims the host is penalized... The renter receives NONE of that penalty (it goes to Airbnb). So, you are simply left out in the cold to find another condo. Well, I suppose I could just "search" for a different condo. But, what happens when that host cancels? And, Airbnb claims to put notification on the host's page that he/she has canceled. One week later there is still no notification for other potential renters on Ken's page. Simply, BEWARE.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Guys be careful when you book on Airbnb next time. I made a booking No. **. I purchased air tickets and packed my bags for next days travel - only to hear that the host has cancelled my booking. And Airbnb does not take any responsibility to provide me alternative booking. Since it is the last minute - now they are demanding me to shell out 300% MORE so that I can get similar property. It is such a huge disappointment that I never expected from Airbnb. They charge you 20% booking fee, but when things don't go right, they just wash off their hands blaming the host. Come on, do we book with Airbnb because we know the host prior to booking?

After 3 hours of haggling with their call center, they have agreed for only USD225 - discount while I need to pay additional USD1263. The original booking was for USD732 - (new booking USD2217). All my plans have gone upside down. And since I had already booked my flights I am in a big fix. But nothing has changed the mindset of their call center. So eventually I need to cancel my booking, losing lot of money for my flight tickets. :-(

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

SHAME ON AIRBNB. SHAME ON AIRBNB. I tried very hard to get help less than 24 hours after I had booked a room and wanted to change due to lack of trust of the host. Airbnb made no effort to make things right for me. You have NO advocate with Airbnb if things go bad... I had until now booked with them with a false sense of security that their customer service would handle things fairly if needed, however my experience with Maria at Airbnb was proof that they put ill educated and poorly trained people in charge of handling (if you call it that!) issues.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have been a host on Airbnb for over 3 years and submitted my first report because a guest booked with me for two nights and upon their departure it was discovered they set up a screen printing business in my home for the two days they stayed and damaged my sofa, linens, glass top of coffee table and bathtub. I followed Airbnb guidelines and contacted a representative at their Help number, which took all of my information and the specifics revolving around the incident and damages. The rep said she would email me a form that I needed to fill out to report such damages to my property. 24 hours later I called the Help number again because I had not received the form as promised and a new rep said there were no notes in their system of my incident report.

I explained the situation and damages for a 2nd time and the new rep said I would need to fill out the form she would email, but it needed to be completed along with pictures attached BEFORE my next guests arrived. (Mind you, they would arrive in 4 hours). I was on a business trip in Los Angeles and my rental property is in Dallas, Texas. Needless to say, I scrambled to complete their requirements despite the fact that the mistake was on their part in the first place. Once I submitted the form, explaining the damages and attaching links, estimates, etc it was sent to the guest. After 72 hours and no response from the guest, I followed up with Airbnb in which I was assigned 3 separate reps to deal with who once again wanted pictures, estimates, ages of damaged goods and invoices of any completed work for damages. I submitted over $800 worth of expenses for damages. Airbnb requested that I submit everything within 7 days.

I notified them that would be impossible because I travel for work and it was over the Thanksgiving holidays and I would need more time. One rep handled damages to the coffee table and linens, another the sofa and another the bathtub. In the end, I was awarded $77 for the damages by Airbnb, $50 for extra cleaning and $27 for damage to the glass coffee table top. The time it took me to gather all of the estimates and submit all of the information required over several weeks was worth more than $77. I declined their offer, mainly because I disagreed with it and it would also require me to click on a link they sent me and accept their terms and agree to their offer.

I replied and told them to not waste anymore of my time and not to bother sending me anymore emails about lowering my nightly rate because guests had viewed my listing but chose one nearby that was cheaper, then tell me when an incident occurs like this one with damages that I should increase my cleaning fee to cover such damages, that it is contradictory. I also let them know that my listing had been listed in the Business Insider as one of the top listings booked in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex and I was one of their best and most popular hosts in DFW and if this is the way they treat their best hosts, I'm sure Business Insider along with all of its readers would be interested in knowing that as well and that I would search every venue I could find to let it be known this is how they treated their best hosts.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We rented a room through Airbnb at 4603 Skyline Boulevard Unit 6, Cape Coral, FL from November 9 - November 15, 2017. Nice condo, however, we were eaten alive by bed bugs. So we rated our trips with one and two stars with a note about its infestation of unwanted bed bugs. First response from Airbnb next day was: "Reconsider your evaluation". We did not do it- nothing to reconsider. Second day response from Airbnb: "You are not in compliance with the rules therefore we cannot post your comments". When we tried to response and include a photo of our bites we found out that we were blocked out from the system. Basically they want to hide any bad experience due to their future profits that are above all for them. So we cannot warn the future guests for this situation.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My wife does not understand English very well and when I stepped in to question an unethical by an Airbnb "professional" he immediately said I was not on the account and he terminated the phone call. Please be VERY VERY careful if you so choose this company. Airbnb's relationship with its property owner is contentious. If something goes wrong they will each say it's the customer's fault. Just a terrible representation of a business.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Airbnb is getting extremely unreliable. A few months ago my husband booked a place in Paris. It was canceled. He rebooked a place again and that one was cancelled less than 2 weeks before he was leaving. A few months ago I thought I would give it a try again and booked a house in Barcelona for a very reasonable price. Dec 19th I get a notice that the booking was canceled. Another friend of mine told me something similar happened to her in Madrid.

Dana the women who I booked with in Barcelona didn’t answered he emails or sends messages in a timely manner. Then she sent me an email telling me her friend will meet me and I had to call him when my plane landed. When I got the cancellation notice I was stunned and upset. I sent AIRBNB a message. They told me she had a problem and all her bookings were cancelled. I find out later on she had 2 accounts and one was canceled by AIRBNB. Why didn’t they just rebook me in the house instead of canceling?

They kept my money for 2 months and they knew she had an issue. 1. If I canceled the trip I would have lost 50 percent of the booking fee. 2. Why is there no recourse for us when the host cancels? 3. It leads me to think < are some of these listings a hoax and what is AIRBNB doing with our money when they hold it and then the host’s cancels. 4. Why didn’t Airbnb know that she had account issues? And why wouldn’t they just rebook me internally instead of canceling? Airbnb is providing a service, however they need to do more on their part to ensure that hosts are more responsible and reliable.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My family and I booked an apartment in Catania, Sicily for two nights. After one night, we were forced to leave because the smell of natural gas and mildew permeated the apartment leaving us all feeling nauseous. We first addressed our concerns with the owner, who seemed to think we should just keep the main doors open (keep in mind, the doors faced a street with heavy traffic). We then addressed our concerns with Airbnb customer service and finally submitted a detailed review to notify other Airbnb users of our disturbing experience in hopes that the owner would rectify the situation for all future guests. This was one week ago.

We just received a notice today from Airbnb that our review would be removed from the Airbnb website because my husband inadvertently included details about an Airbnb investigation into the matter in the review. Furthermore, because the review had been published (and subsequently removed) we were no longer able to post a new or revised review that did not include these so-called details that violated Airbnb's review policies. Why? Because that is Airbnb's policy. To make matters even worse, the owner of the horribly smelling apartment was allowed to leave a review of us that said she could not recommend us to other owners because we left early. Go figure, she did not leave additional details on why we left early, but Airbnb did not seem to have a problem with that.

My husband and I have been traveling outside of the United States for 7 months; using Airbnb for the majority of our lodging. We have 12 other reviews outlining how we are "perfect" guests that take considerable care of the apartments / rooms / houses where we stay. This review from the owner in Catania is the only poor review we have received thus far.

The main reason we are so irritated by this situation is had we read a truthful review - like ours that has been removed - on the Airbnb website we would NOT have booked that place and we could have actually enjoyed the two days we had in Catania rather than searching for a new place and moving across town with my elderly in-laws. In conclusion, when we raised our concerns about the owner being able to submit a review of us and our review being removed without the possibility of submitting another, we were told by the Airbnb customer service rep that this matter was considered closed by Airbnb. End of story. How's that for customer service.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I made the following complaint to Airbnb about a fraudulent listing of a two bedroom apartment and they denied my complaint... there is no standard as to what someone can list a room as a bedroom: BEWARE!!! I have one simple question: What standard does AIRBNB use when allowing owners of properties to define a room as a BEDROOM? Is it the IBC (International Building Code) The ICC (International Construction Code) The IRC (International Residential Code)? OR Do you just take the owners word for it without any defined standard?

I used your service to rent an apartment in Tel Aviv that was listed on your site as a two-bedroom apartment. I actually canceled a Reservation at Raphael Hotel just down the street because I am a restless sleeper and sometimes snore very loud. It is common for me to move to a second bedroom in the middle of the night so my girlfriend can sleep. That was my major consideration for spending almost twice as much for the apartment I rented on your site rather than the hotel room just down the street. (Ironically I could see the hotel I canceled from the balcony of the apartment I rented from your site) Rubbing salt into the wound.

I called the owner of the apartment and asked to be released from the contract. I gave her a list of the problems. We were having problems getting the air conditioner to work so we had to leave the door to the patio open to get cool evening air to come in. Being at the intersection of two busy streets (noise from Buses, Trucks, scooters and the ever present honking of horns by impatient Israeli drivers made it almost impossible to sleep). The TV in the living room kept freezing making it impossible to watch any movies. The TV in the bedroom did not work at all. BUT my major complaint was the second listed bedroom WAS NOT A BEDROOM. There was no window and no ventilation of any type in the room.

The owner's response was the air conditioner did work and as for the noise I should take a pill or put earplugs in my ears (She told my girlfriend the same thing after I handed her the phone because I got too upset to continue the conversation after hearing that). She also said the Bomb Shelter was a bedroom and I should look at the previous reviews she received on your site. I told her my reviews would not look anything like her last reviews.

I called and spoke with your service representative Mika **. I complained that one of the listed bedrooms was not a bedroom; as it had no window and no ventilation of any type. The door to the room was a steel airtight blast door. The room was a Safe Room or bomb shelter (required in Israel in case of an attack). I sent her pictures and she denied my request to be released from the contract. Mika's response was to tell me the pictures were accurate and that I could leave the apartment forfeiting one day's rent and 50% of the remaining unused days. I couldn't afford to lose that money and pay for another place in Israel. I still owe money for this apartment and I'm not rich. I just couldn't afford that so I suffered with what I had.

A simple search on the Internet International Building Code requirements for a bedroom yielded many results. This is the simplest explanation. 1. ENTRANCE: FAILED A bedroom requires at least TWO METHODS OF EGRESS. The room In question has only ONE. 2. CEILING: PASSES THE TEST. 3. ESCAPE: FAILED only one steel air-tight door (No other window or door). 4. SIZE: FAILED the room should be at least 70 sq. ft. The dimensions of this room were 175 cm (5.74 ft.) by 318 cm (10.43 ft.), which works out to 59.87 sq. ft. That is less than the 70 sq. ft. requirement.

There also an additional requirement I discovered during my research. If the room is to be occupied by more than ONE person the code requires that 50 sq. ft. be allotted for each person. She placed a queen size bed in that room and her listing states that up to 5 people can be accommodated one on the couch two in the main bedroom (king bed) leaving 2 for the queen bed in the BOMB SHELTER making the size requirement for that room 100 sq. ft. DID YOU NOTICE THE DIMENSION 5.74 ft.??? The IRC STATES the room Cannot be less than 7 ft. in any horizontal direction? 5.74 ft. does not satisfy the 7 ft. requirement. I am 5 ft. 10 in. tall and I could reach my arms out and touch both walls at the same time (I have videos showing me measuring the room and touching both walls if you would care to see them).

This room was a concrete coffin. If a fire were to occur in the living area there would be no means of escape. A definite safety issue and one that you would most definitely assume some liability for that should be a concern for you. This fraudulent listing damaged me. I saved for and I am still paying for this vacation. Rather than having another bedroom I could retreat to I was forced to sleep on the couch. The BOMB SHELTER was HOT, CLAUSTROPHOBIC and UNINHABITABLE. It was basically a closet with a bed in it. It became a point of contention between my girlfriend and me as she thought I was basically stupid for not asking more questions to find out what we were actually getting. It turned what should have been peaceful, relaxing time in a new country for the first time into a tense unhappy visit.

I did visit many of the country's sites that were enjoyable, but having to return to that apartment threw a wet towel on the experience. I believe a refund is due not only for the fraudulent listing as to it being two-bedroom apartment but also for the aggravation it caused ruining my vacation. I would request that all prosperities listed by the owner of this property be suspended until this matter is resolved and then only reinstated when her listings descriptions conform to the IRC. You have travelers from many different countries using your service. Using a recognized international standard would be useful to all travelers. I suggest Airbnb adopt the IRC (International Residential Code) as a standard to protect future customers from the aggravation and disappointment I suffered from this fraudulent listing.

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Airbnb Company Information

www.airbnb.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use