2.45/5

Looking for a travel site?

Airbnb

Looking for a travel site?

Airbnb Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

Airbnb always worked for me. Honoured all agreements. I have stayed in 2 diff. private Airbnb apartments in Barcelona, 1 in Vienna, and 1 in Bordeaux. I have stayed in someone's home (house or apartment) in seven different Airbnb's England (in one of them three times in three years) and in houses that were part or all rooming houses in 4 locations in England. In Canada, 7 times in someone's home (Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver) and four times in an apartment in Toronto or Victoria. They have all been as advertised. When I left early due to dissatisfaction, I was refunded the amount (the host agreed to my leaving). When I lost a key to a lock, the host wanted $700 to install a new lock. Airbnb paid him $350 and didn't expect me to pay anything.

Except in a couple of homes in England, my hosts have been great people, well-travelled, interesting, and flexible. Or least unobjectionable. Nowhere has ever been dirty in any way. I post this to balance the many complaints and accusations. I have never rented in the US, although I have stayed in some pretty sad cheap hotels in parts of California, N. Carolina, and Virginia.

My main concern is that I can't find my reviews or reviews of myself checking today (June, 2019). The level of customer service seems to have declined. The one agent I talked to seemed rather dim and to reading from a list of responses which were only tangentially related to my query. An attempt to communicate with "chat" was unhelpful, and again involved answers that didn't quite square with my questions. I suspect that the responder ("Adam") was a computer program. My problem was minimal and I worked it out myself.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Once I was able to get into the place with the code, it was fine. If I didn't have someone nearby though, I would have ended up sleeping in my car. I had asked for the code to get in and she told me that I would get it later. Once I was on the plane, I couldn't get in touch with anyone. Once I landed, I still had not heard from the "super host". The last time I tried was sitting in front of the place in the rain. The people next door were not happy, since I rang their doorbell and asked if they were able to let me in, which they were not. I was able to get in the next day.

After the trip, I did contact her and asked to be compensated for that night, that I was not able to stay there, because of her. She was willing to give me $50 credit that's all! I did not accept, and contacted Airbnb and they stood by their host. So nothing. Here I was all alone a grandma, going to visit my new grandson, in the rain. In an area I was not familiar with. I had used bnb before and had no issues. Beware of Airbnb.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I see all these bad reviews of Airbnb but my experiences traveling with my son & his wife have been great. Used Airbnb for a condo in Hollywood, FL February 2019 and it was exactly as described. Over the years, we also used them for an apartment in New York City, a condo in Chicago and a condo on the boardwalk in San Diego. All of these experiences were perfect. Whenever I have a question and call them, I actually get a friendly human being. The world isn't perfect, sometimes things can go wrong. Recently I made a reservation for next February 2020 (10 months away). A couple weeks later the host cancelled it. Airbnb gave me a $200.00 credit for my next trip!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have been a host for several months now with Airbnb. From what I have experienced so far, this company still has quite a ways to go for maturity and improvements. Although, a lot of their policies are flawed esp. the way how their review policy works between hosts and guests, they have a global supply chain management who's been quite dedicated on the front line to resolve reservation challenges & issues.

It's still a young company in the process of transformation to solidify its reliability and reputation. I hope they will update and fine tune their policies so that integrity and fairness is protected for hosts and guests. They should work on the inconsistencies of letting numerous case managers to work on the same case without consistent follow through. They really need to tighten up the loopholes in the policies so they are not being abused by some of its users, which can have a serious damaging impact.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Frankly, I only knew Airbnb from my bookings, and I never had any experience with Airbnb Resolution team until their online agent, Ronie's, recently helped me very quickly and to my satisfaction, and that impressed me, but today another agent, Alexandre, truly "knocked off my socks" with instant and tremendously caring quality customer care on a different issue. I can't overestimate that! Now I know that Airbnb is much more than just a place to stay but also a place filled with wonderful and caring people. First-rate service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Don't believe this app, they won't return money. You can't see the property, you can't see owner contact number. I wasted money because of this app. Please go with other app. Worst property worst policy, worst app.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I was given a gift card to use toward my expenses in visiting someone after I had already made the reservation. It turns out that Airbnb will only let you use a gift card at the time you make the reservation and it can't be used to pay any remaining balance. So, it is a gift card, but it isn't really a gift card. Not an honorable business practice.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I feel that Airbnb doesn’t care about its hosts only about the company's pocket book. I had a bad guest experience with a couple who I believe just got out of jail and had serious drug and weapon charges, including unsafe storage of weapons. We looked up their names on the criminal court system and they had page after page of criminal charges in various cities. Airbnb was no help to me, and in fact made our situation even more dangerous. It was incredibly dangerous and stressful. I requested a call back from a manager but it still hasn’t happened, they don't care about their hosts.

I have good reviews from all of my guests with the exception of 1 guest who was miserable, drunk and fighting with her boyfriend the entire time. Her poor review brought down my star rating and lost my super host status. She spilt red wine all over the loveseat, I dealt with it, didn't charge her or mention it on her review but her lies actually cost me business, ie. she even said the bed was a double bed which it is clearly a queen bed. I told airbnb that I could prove she was lying as I had several other guests who had stayed prior and since, but airbnb just didn't care about my efforts as a host and let this guest damage my business.

In fact when guests are looking at my reviews her nasty lying review shows first, even though it was a couple years ago and I have had several good reviews since. Another situation that airbnb just didn't care about when I brought it to their attention. Their insurance is also not what they advertise it to be, hosts be careful. I also find them to be bullies, pushing me to accept a booking that I am not comfortable with and really pushing the instant booking and other things on their agenda but not necessarily what is safest or best for the host property or family. Hosts be warned.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

A guest stole an expensive backpack from the apartment during their stay. Airbnb refused to cover it even though there's an insurance policy for theft. Tried multiple times to open a claim by phone and by email, the rep hung up on me because I wouldn't give up, and by email they don't answer. Won't host with them again since their insurance policy is a lie.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

BEWARE HOSTS!!! Airbnb does not have your back when ‘emotional support, house trained’ dogs destroy your home. Do not allow pets. Airbnb has made their decision & I will not be reimbursed even a part of the $10,000 I paid for damages despite the required security deposit when renting my home or their Host Guaranteed since it was a pet that destroyed my furniture & flooring. I’ve read from other hosts this was almost always their ruling (with the guest). I know I will NEVER again use Airbnb & I ask y’all to do the same. Use VRBO instead or another company. If you are a host, BEWARE!!! Airbnb has no consideration for your property!

Airbnb expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Airbnb is a marketplace for people to list or find accommodations around the world. People list their homes or apartment online, and people rent them for a listed rate and time. The company was founded in 2008 in San Francisco, California, and now Airbnb has users and listings in over 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries.

• Easy to use: To find a place to stay, simply type in your visit date in the Airbnb website or mobile app. Airbnb will show you all available options for that date, and you choose this selection.

• Airbnb experiences: Hosts can now list experiences on Airbnb. You can look for activities in the city where you’re staying and book hikes, cooking classes, tours and more through Airbnb.

• List your home: You can list your home or apartment on Airbnb and set your own rental price. Airbnb will protect you with liability insurance up to $1 million.

• Standards and trust: Airbnb works hard to make sure hosts and guests are treated with respect. Airbnb’s standards are based on five criteria: safety, security, fairness authenticity and reliability. Customer support is there to make sure you have a great experience.

• Airbnb for business: Airbnb will partner with your business to provide tools and solutions to streamline business travel.

• Best for: people looking for cheap or unique accommodations around the world for vacations or business travel.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs