Airbnb

Airbnb Reviews

3.2/5 (1484 ratings)

About Airbnb Reviews

Airbnb Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: May 4, 2022

In February 2022 I rented a 5 bedroom home for myself and 4 others for a specific dates in July. In May I received an email from AirBnB that the host had double booked and several days later, my reservation was canceled and my deposit returned. Apparently, the host suffered minor consequences, although she still had the week booked. Guests, however, have no recourse other than a return of a deposit. No similar properties were available, since the host waited so long to cancel. One member of our group canceled his plans to attend a jazz camp at Nazareth College. The rest of us scrambled to find accommodations, and were left with more expensive and less attractive options. At the very least, the host should be required to offer compensation but no such option exists. An AirBnB reservation is tenuous at best.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I am really upset at Airbnb policy and lack of protecting their users. I rented a place out and arrived to the location, the host was absent and I had no way of getting into the place. I did exactly what Airbnb advises, which is to request a refund from the host... Several days later I contacted Airbnb customer service... They said they won't help me because I did not contact them after 24 hours... which is ** because this was not in their policies.

Resolution response: May 3, 2022

It took 12 days to be a squeaky wheel and write through all their socials and chats, and to also make calls to people who have only the power to forward the issue. But eventually, someone named Steven in the escalation team forwarded my video evidence showing the listing was in fact, private, as I had described, and when he shared that with the others on his team they agreed to remove that "host canceled booking" (I did not) and reimburse me half of the nights of the stay. I am glad they resolved it, however, my confidence in their help and support has been damaged through the lengths I had to go to correct something that shouldn't ever have happened in the first place.

The guest should have never been able to get her money back for claims that were proven untrue. The truth is that the helpers on AirBnb come from a third-party company that Airbnb does a contract with. Someone in corporate should know that customer and host support and efficiency is the most important thing they could invest in to grow their company more. They're cutting corners with more automation and farming things out, but in the long run, the company will lose the heart it once had.

Original review: May 2, 2022

It seems every good platform starts off with idealist visionaries and ends up in automation hell. I am a successful "Superhost" which every Airbnb helper will answer a support call reading a script about: "thank you for being a dedicated super host...how can we help you?" It's a lie. They can't help. They can only forward a real problem to someone else. Someone most likely in a different country, clocking in for only so many hours before dropping any loose ends for the next person on a shift to pick up.

Airbnb broke a firm cancellation booking and gave the payout to a guest who made unsubstantiated claims a day after check-in that Airbnb gave me no opportunity to refute. I have provided ample evidence and every twenty-four hours I get a message saying "when are you available for a call?" Only by the time they respond to my message "Any time starting with right now" it's another agent who has to catch up on the ticket all over again.

It's by far the worst experience I've ever had, after hosting on the platform successfully for four years. There's no "there" there. It's a broken run-around system and I was shocked to see how low their customer review ratings were! I was a happy customer until they literally had to work really hard at being this terrible to convince me my high rating of them was based on fantasy.

I've been praying they restore my confidence in their help team and given them every opportunity to but they seem to not be able to face up to the fact that they went against a cancellation policy and wrongly refunded a guest in full a day after check-in, without contacting the Host to allow an opportunity to refute guest's false claims. That Airbnb would allow themselves to alienate Superhosts by not supporting them is more evidence that something is broken in their system that once worked beautifully.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I made a booking with a fraudulent host, I canceled and got a refund which was not was much as I paid. I provided evidence which they saw, and they said that it is my problem, despite the issue being their fraudulent host, who tried to charge extra outside of their app. They just did not care in the slightest and were smug even about ripping me off.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I've had good, and bad experiences with this company. Customer Service for Airbnb is no good. I strongly believe I was discriminated against. Their refund policy sucks. They cater to host, not the guest. Location pictures can be misleading at times. I've decided to book hotels from now on. Customer service also lied, and told me I could not leave a public review....

Original review: April 25, 2022

Airbnb is absolutely fraudulent and dishonest company. They canceled my reservation because they blocked host and didn't return my money. I wrote them 10 times, they ignore and don't return money 2 months already. They stole my money. Whey stole money from all thousands customers from Russia stating that they can not return money to Russian credit cards, but I am American citizen and paid by American credit card, but they do not return money without real explanation of reasons. Why government do not close so fraudulent company and do not prosecute this criminals?

Original review: April 22, 2022

Booked an AIRBNB on January 4, 2022, I then cancelled, January 8, 2022 and received confirmation that cancelled reservation was granted due to family emergency. I paid a total of $4,378.91. They never gave me full amount back. They gave me a total of $91.95. I cancelled my Airbnb and to make sure of it, I called Wells Fargo to go ahead and make sure they did not take the money off my card. The representative that reversed the charges told me specifically, "Do not worry about it, this happens all of the time. If you cancelled you will get all of your monies back," which I did. However, Airbnb went back in and took my money back out. This is not ethical and straight up FRAUD and someone has to be accountable for this. I am requesting at this time for you to please return my monies.

Please refer to the attachment of the letter. I am the victim and either way you look at it this is straight up fraud. I would like to get this resolved immediately. Please advise. Here is the response I received. "Hi Avery, A refund of $91.95 (USD) has been issued to your credit card (VISA **) for reservation ** at North Houston Home w/ King Bed | WiFi | Extended Stays | Near IAH | Pet Friendly (you originally paid $4,378.91 (USD)). While this refund is immediate on our part, it can take up to 15 business days for the funds to reach your account. Thanks, The Airbnb team"

Original review: April 21, 2022

Don’t book on this site. They have extreme discrimination issues. Controlling renters, and all kinds of problems with payment. ALL BAD. SAVE YOURSELF THE FRUSTRATION AND LOSS. Most of the listings are fake or misleading. ie. A house is listed as whole house. But it’s a bedroom only.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Booked a stay for a new colleague of ours to stay at a place for 6 weeks. They lied about the parking situation and the place was never cleaned prior to arrival. Contacted the host immediately and was advised they would contact me back. I locked up and left. The following morning we received a message asking about how the stay was. We told him to check with his co-worker as I did not stay. We have tried working with customer service multiple times to get a refund without any luck. They keep saying it has been escalated, but all I keep getting is passed around.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I have been renting from this site for years. I have watched as the prices for their fees have gone up but now, it’s just a flat out joke. We are paying over $1000 for service fees, taxes, cleaning! The house is only $930 a night and for three nights we are paying over 4,000!!!! This is just sad and absolutely taking advantage of the consumer. You can save tons going through a rental company, which is where I will be taking my business.

Original review: April 19, 2022

1st time Airbnb host. Spent days creating my listing. Nothing but headaches from the start! Airbnb chose a random price to list my rental for their cover page. $140 higher than my listed nightly price! Of course I've had no bookings. I have called 6 times to have them correct this. It's been 4 days...still not corrected. 1 agent telling me it's normal to be listed higher on cover page. Lol. Stay very far away from this incompetent company and service. And I'm supposed to pay for this horrific service? Don't think so.... Vrbo here I come!

Original review: April 19, 2022

Beware of renting from Airbnb. They are accommodating to the homeowners only when it comes to any dispute. If you rent from them be careful that it is not from An individual owner or you could be liable for whatever they say. We had an experience with a rental where there were maintenance issues with the refrigerator and the owner was controlling the thermostat with her phone and could watch you come and go with ring doorbell.

Then we we arrived home, we had an email from Airbnb requesting $250 for a broken rocking chair and pictures of an old chair we never saw because it was not in the main area. It was obvious it was old and had previously been broken. We offered to pay $100. Then the seller opened a claim and we ended up paying a total of $375.00 for a chair we never saw. Airbnb showed our review but did not use our rating in her average ratings so it still looks like she is a super host that you should rent from. She only has 5 reviews because most likely, we aren’t the only ones she has hustled. Beware that they do not count all negative ratings and do not protect the renter in any way.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I paid in advance for 6 nights 144 for the service which I have never seen, experienced to Airbnb. Ariving the place no one did not meet me, I was waiting for an hour. The receptionist was useless and rude. I wrote the complaint immediately and as a revenge the staff of the useless hostel refused me to stay. Aribnb didn't refund money 144.. they ignored all my request about this. The service who must case about people to avoid risks for the to be on street in the night grabbed my money instead.. By the way, the same hostel costed 105 only on Booking. Airbnb is greedy and irresponsible. Not going to have any deal with them anymore... Very bad experience.

Original review: April 15, 2022

The cancellation policy must be reviewed. There is no reason for the renter to retain half of the reservation fee when cancelling two months ahead of time due to travel cancellations related to the pandemic and staffing shortages. Hotels would not have required payment and no fees would have been charged for cancelling 60 days in advance. Travel has become incredibly volatile and unreliable. So many variables are out of travelers’ control. I strongly encourage everyone to use hotels whenever available. We have lost over $500. With rising costs, our family could have used that money in any other way, (food, shelter, entertainment) other than giving to someone who will only doubly benefit from our forfeited fees on top of an additional booking for the highly sought after and limited lodging. If at all possible, make your reservations through a hotel instead.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I used Airbnb for years, but since they decided to outsource their now wildly, prohibitively expensive “customer service” to employees for whom English is clearly not a first language, I must liken my experience to banging my head against a wall for hours at a time. Never again! I’m not fond of wasting precious time explaining and re-explaining what appears to be extremely easy problems to fix to people who don’t want to or can’t read what I write in extremely plain language. They expect you to just give up, and I guess I do. VRBO from now on! I’m horrified that millions are being “donated” to this service for (*gulp*) war refugees! Are we TRYING to make their lives even worse?!

Original review: April 13, 2022

My wife and I had a terrible experience with Airbnb in April 2022. Deceptive, inaccurate host description with no refund policy. Details weren't clear until after booking, and the host only revealed that we'd be expected to share the place with 6 other guests/strangers after payment was received. This was despite me communicating to host prior to booking that I want to clarify that this would be entirely private for my wife and I. Once payment was given, host stopped replying to me. Airbnb doesn't regulate their hosts but instead abide by their hosts' rules, which doesn't work to the benefit of the customer. Airbnb support was unable to give me any refund despite me paying over $400 for 2 nights and never stepping foot into the place and canceling immediately after finding out I'd be having 6 guests. Very deceptive communication, my wife and I felt unsafe and uncomfortable with those conditions. We will never book with airbnb again.

Original review: April 10, 2022

AirBNB are middlemen of the worst type. They allow "hosts" to provide consistently sub-par and sometimes downright disgusting accommodation for prices which are in many cases higher than 4-star hotels. I have had accommodations with bugs, with rotten food in the fridge, and with extremely poor levels of cleanliness, yet you are effectively stuck with what you get as they don't generally offer any sort of refund if you show up to a garbage heap marketed as a BnB. But let's be honest, the idea that you can leave individuals who were brought up with vastly different standards of cleanliness to maintain any minimum level of cleanliness is just a dumb proposition - Airbnb have proved that, and the many negative reviews here corroborate the company's failure. That regulation hasn't stepped in is what's perhaps the most surprising to me, given how regulated the competition (hotels) is.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Visited a house which had insects biting our legs. We thought it was possible mosquitos outside but it turned out to be spiders from inside. Several of us taken photos of the bites and went to the doctor to confirm it. AirBNB ambassador didn't want to refund our visit. AirBNB didn't have terms and condition about the insect bites on there for the refund. I don't appreciate what AirBNB has done in not refunding on what occurred. If I could post photos of our legs, I would post it as it was sent them.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Just had a terrible experience with Airbnb. They take no responsibility for their errors and now have caused an uncomfortable experience for my guest which will certainly appear in my review. You expect more hospitality from a hospitality company especially as a super host. They sure get their cut though. I’m delisting.

Original review: April 1, 2022

Airbnb was really good but we used them in March 2022 which was a disaster. Host gave us a broken bed and refused to fix it. It took 5 hours of my time to communicate with host and support team with no result. Go to their page in Instagram and see lots of complaints. It seems they are deleting negative reviews!

Original review: April 1, 2022

I recently rented an Airbnb from Sorian ** in Vega Baja Puerto Rico on Calle Bruell. When we arrived the toilet was not working, the coffee maker did not work, there were no blankets, no silverware. The host had to physically replace the TV because it did not work. We called the host instead of Airbnb. She promised to refund us one night. She kept texting me that the $ was on its way. Finally after 2 weeks I called Airbnb. They informed me that I had missed the deadline to write a poor review by one day. I sent them screenshots of all the texts & Airbnb ruled that there was not enough evidence for my case & that I was supposed to call them, not the host. Shortly afterwards the host called me & screamed at me & called me names. Airbnb was not helpful at all.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I really want to warn potential clients that Airbnb is allowing through their website to rent places that not only don´t comply at all the description in their website, but also even violate basic Airbnb rules and have serious unsanitary conditions that don´t meet the requirements to be a decent home (for instance, with this scam: https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/5520336...). After giving multiple and obvious evidences, the Airbnb customer support lies repeatedly and don´t protect the guest, violating their own policy. They don´t care at all, they just want the money from the guests. I don´t recommend at all to invest in this fraudulent and scam enterprise.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I had a reservation with Airbnb. 3 weeks before my trip I received an email saying that they canceled my reservation ...No reason was given and a 1% credit was issued that I had to use within 30 days. I contacted Airbnb and they did not give me a reason but offered me other properties that were not in the same neighborhood (which I had researched and did not want to change) and triple the price of the reservation that I had. I contacted the host of the property and rebooked my reservation on a different site. I am extremely disappointed with this company.

Original review: March 30, 2022

There have been two occasions where the airb&b host has cancelled on me within 2 weeks of a reservations placed months ago. The latest cancellation was 10 days before the date and it was for a group of 5 girls. We had this reservation since early January 2022 and it was for April 8 2022 I got an email March 29th that the host cancelled and all I was getting was 10% coupon on the price I paid. I tried to look for another place for the same group in the same area and the most they can do is give me 20%. They could not help me cover the rest when it was not my fault that I was cancelled.

I called and asked them to help and they said they couldn’t 20% is all they could do. So now on top of having to wait a possibility of 15 for a refund I have to also pay double of what I paid for without getting the refund first because airb&b couldn’t not give me credit to help pay for them. This is not how you run a business and fault people who are paying customers for something they have no control over. They should be ashamed.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Airbnb uses all foreign customer service people who read from a script and only know how to apologize. They are not empowered to help you. Occasionally you can achieve the result you want but it is always like pulling teeth. After a lot of emotional distress and time and effort. Maybe it will be escalated enough to resolve problems. After you become a super host their attitude is friendlier and you get a dedicated customer service line that picks up the phone a lot quicker but still it is a very painful process to get anything done. And as a host you always feel like they favor the guests. Turns out the money talks. I looked more into the fee structure and the guests pay about 14% and hosts only pay 3% so that explains a lot why they tend to side with the guests.

Original review: March 28, 2022

We had an absolutely rotten experience with our host. We have been treated like crap and robbed. We booked it fine, the host appeared to be communicative and all seemed to be well and ready ahead of our trip. When we got to the condo, however everything went bad. We could not get into the condo at all. After each of us carefully followed the instructions we were sent we messaged our host for help.

After a few unsuccessful attempts at contacting her via the app we tried the emergency #'s provided. She never answered. We alternated calling and messaging to no avail. I left a final message stating that we were unable to get in and to issue us a refund because we were going to have to find other accommodations. She never responded to any of it. Not even the day after. She is refusing to refund us. When I elevated the issue to Airbnb they won't help. The host LIED to them saying we stayed there and she was not aware of any issues. They are taking her word over my documentation. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AIRBNB.

Original review: March 28, 2022

As a host of three Airbnbs, their customer service for hosts sucks. They hire foreign Asian people who can hardly speak English and all they say after collecting 20 minutes of information is… “I’ll escalate this ticket to a different department… they will call you back” then day after day they don’t call back. You call back again and have to state your whole issue again to a new stranger just to get the same response. The process repeats over and over again. There is no direct phone numbers for their “departments.”

Original review: March 26, 2022

I've been trying to book a property for the first time and then got blocked. After a verification process, I've been told that my account has been deleted and I am not allowed to use the service in the future. I asked for the reason and received ZERO explanation. Avoid this service.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Me and my friends were discussing to reunite on 23rd of April 2022- so I was just exploring options on Airbnb-Mar 21 2022-late evening at 7-7:30 pm and I saw a place so I clicked request booking or reserve booking- not knowing this will actually book the place and it was nonrefundable booking. Within few minutes, I received message from Host saying thank you for booking and I kept wondering why she said thank you for booking- as I always get notification on phone when I use my visa or debit card but I didn't get any notification and I checked my email for any reservation email from Airbnb but there was no email.

Next day on Mar 22 2022 - I again wonder why the host said thank you for booking - and I checked my bank account and email- there was nothing. Then I went to Airbnb app to check- on App the place was reserved and then I went to check payment method and I realized I had wrong person visa information which I'm not supposed to use, I contacted host she said you contact Airbnb customer service for refund as it will charge her penalty if she cancels it. 1st- I didn’t meant to actually book the place without discussing with my friends, 2nd -I didn’t know I had other person’s visa info on my Airbnb account. So I called Airbnb Customer service for refund. They denied me by saying host wants to stick with the nonrefundable policy- I tried to reach Host but no response- she just ghosted me.

They charged $500 for cancellation- I strongly believe this is bad business practice- people who are new to Airbnb could make mistake by clicking on booking or reservation button not knowing it will be non-refundable booking- we use Airbnb for entertainment and pleasure purpose not to get trap into financial crisis. As per Airbnb customer service, they contact Host and she is denying the refund- I’m not sure if they actually contacted her or not, or I’m not sure if Airbnb is denying refund on Host name. The host just stopped responding to my messages- she just ghosted me.

What happen was genuine honest mistake, $500 is big amount for average person like me. This is just not right business practice- travel and entertainment should be more flexible with their customers- when planning for vacation we need to explore as many options we can- It’s our right to explore options. But nonrefundable terms and condition setup by platform like Airbnb will trap you in financial crises. Basically this is professional way to steal people’s money.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I own a villa and welcomed my first guests on the 3rd March 2022 who booked for a 28 night stay. Because my only payout method is with a bank that is partially owned by a Russian Bank that is under sanctions (I wasn't aware of it as the bank is based in Armenia not in Russia) the payment didn't go through. It is now a full four weeks and I still didn't get paid. Whenever I try to add a payout method a window pops out which says 'this payout method is not supported by app please try the website'. I went to 8 or 9 hotels so far in three different countries (Armenia, Greece and Georgia) and used the desktop in the lobbies and business lounge but it is even impossible to log on to my account via a desktop let alone add a payout method (!). Whenever I try punching my mobile number into the desktop website the digits don't even appear on the screen. The other options produce the same (non) results.

Customer Service called me and a sweet sounding lady from the Philippines was in touch with me on several days but she didn't solve the problem. It boggles the mind that something so elementary and vital as adding a payout method is not available on an app or a website of a company that claims tens of millions of properties.

There were a lot of snowstorms and blocked roads in our region in Armenia this March (heaviest snow in living memory) with sub freezing temperatures. What if I didn't have emergency funds to pay for the utility bills (luckily I do have sufficient funds)? My guests would have been literally stuck in a -7 degrees (Celsius) villa with no way to leave due to blocked roads. In conclusion the Airbnb system is neither a friend of hosts nor of guests and it is time in my humble opinion to find better alternatives to this sham.

Airbnb Company Information