2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.7/5 (2562 ratings)

About Airbnb

Airbnb Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Airbnb support is awful. They do not care about their customers. I have had problems with using any of my credit cards with Airbnb from time to time. The credit card companies says it's not them and they can see a successful temp charge from airbnb. I submitted a ticket to Airbnb support and they just send me articles on how to enter credit card info on their site. Yes, I know how to do that, and I have successfully charged these same credit cards before with Airbnb. They then ignored further correspondence from me. Awful support team. They just don't care. Take that into consideration the next time you want to use Airbnb. If you have any issues, they will not help you and you are on your own.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I am host for 3 years now, I am giving business to Airbnb even pandemic. I would like to tell you how harsh Airbnb to their host and maybe to their guests. 1. I was booked 18 days guests but they had an early checked out on the 15th day. The guest send me an alteration to get refunded on the two days not staying. I executed the refund of two days cuz it's fair for the guest to get their money back for not using my house. So when they checked out, Airbnb kicked in my calendar as available. I am on instant booking. So another guest suddenly booked my house around 1PM and my check in time is 3PM. The guest wanted to check in early. I coordinated with the guest that my cleaner have a covid symptoms and not able to clean the house.

That being said, I let the guest to choose A). to refund the cleaning fee if they OK to stay in my house without cleaning (Cuz guest was frustrated of booking Airbnb cuz it was its second charged of his credit card by Airbnb cuz the first was cancelled due to the first host double booking with Booking.com - per my guest statement. So eventually I communicated with my guest of choice B). to cancel the booking as I cannot find cleaners and let Airbnb to find another place for him. The guest didn't want another charges on his credit card cuz he was told me it take 7 days for his money to kicked back into his account. So the guest opted to stay at the hotel.

When I spoke to airbnb escalation team they told me that I am executing cancelation even I tried to help my guest and even my reason is valid that my cleaner have a covid symptoms that won't be able to clean the hours on an instant booking. The Airbnb rep was rude and told me that I should have blocked my dates that my previous guests checked out early time. as an instant booking as a host, airbnb doesn't care about you as a host any other circumstance especially now its pandemic. They don't care of the circumstances. I feel that it's inhumane. While I was talking to the escalation team, I told him I want to speak to his supervisor. He told me that I have to wait 24-48 hours before I can reach out to them which it was very strange that he said that he just spoke to his supervisor about the policy and told me that the supervisor will tell me exactly the same thing.

I think the customer service right there was ZERO! Not like VRBO. They are courteous, easy reachable, and not ripping off people. So I was charged by Airbnb $100 for cancelling my guest reservation due to covid related circumstances. I totally understand if that $100 will be given to my guest cuz they were wanting to look for a house to stay but got frustrated but no. Airbnb will sucked up this money from little guy like me and you. So my advice to you, GUESTS AND HOST PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM AIRBNB UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE RIPOFF. I LIKE VRBO SERVICES BETTER.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Hosts/landlords beware! Airbnb lately is a total disaster and it is dangerous to do any business with them! You can face huge damages to your property or even lose it. AND YOU ARE NOT COVERED BY THEIR HOST GUARANTEE. This summer I had a guest who rented the place for 10 days. The size of the group was pretty large - 7 guests and they needed to cook a lot. I have nothing against it. My kitchen is fully equipped with everything needed to accommodate any group size.

One day they started cooking something in the oven and left to the beach. The fat started boiling and spilled over. This started the fire and as a result, the stove and the cook top were completely damaged. Guests concealed it. We keep few personal bags for my family in the unit but they are locked with a small locks. Our guest broke into our bags and started using our personal bedding and other items to clean up the damages done by the fire. Our big pot completely melted and was thrown away along with our personal towels and bedding. Our personal hygiene items were probably used as they were missing.

In addition they broke our washer (some of the buttons on the front of the washer were knocked out and were missing). The washer door was physically broken. They did not show up for the checkout procedure, they simply sent their tanager to return the keys. My property is in Europe and I live in USA. Our checkout time is 11:00 am which is 5:00 am in US. You can only imagine what was going with my phone on that Saturday morning. Luckily on that Saturday we were traveling to different state so we got up early. Since my next guest was checking in same day after 3:00 you can imagine the amount of the stress we have been through.

Needless to say, I called Airbnb same morning and asked them what to do. There were only two options 1 - cancel next guest and 2- try to fix the damages and replace the equipment. Airbnb asked me to fix the problem and stated that I can download pictures and all receipts (that I did not even had at that point in time, I did not even had a clue where to find contractors to replace all damaged equipment). Luckily, I have very good local property manager and she quickly found the team that agreed to work on Saturday afternoon.

Once pictures and receipts were made available to me I immediately uploaded them. Receipts uploaded fine but since the pictures were taken by android phone not all of them due to some reason were correct format. I called Airbnb again and asked what to do. First they were happy ($$$) that I managed to keep the next guest, so they assured me that I can take collecting all pictures and receipts. To address the issue of wrong format they promised to send me a link to download them directly. I have been waiting for that link for almost a week. It never came in. I called them again and asked what was the hold off. They advised that the best thing to do is to resubmit the claim. So I used somebody's help to convert the pictures to format required by Airbnb.

I have been waiting for another 10-12 days receiving in the meantime multiple emails/messages that the claim is being reviewed. In about 3 weeks into my claim I received the offer to settle the claim for 50%. I refused. Two days later I received email stating that I am not eligible for reimbursement because according to them I was supposed to submit the claim BEFORE NEXT GUEST MOVES IN!! This what different from what they were sending that terrible Saturday morning.

I complained and they reinstated the claim. I have to tell that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO FEEDBACK FROM THEIR CLAIMS DEPARTMENT! They simply send nonreply email stating that your claim is closed. Two days ago I received email from their claims stating that my claim is denied because it was not filed within 14 days from the accident. I am contacting my attorney. HOSTS - RUN!!! Stay away from Airbnb if you value your property, your time and your money. Their Host Guarantee is a complete lie! YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED! I put one star above because I can not give less then that.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I had real issues with the listing and the status of the place I rented. I posted a review talking about my issues. Airbnb decided to remove it. Saying that "We understand that this might not be what you’d hoped for" but that they would still be removing my review. 1) The plumbing was not finished in the main bath. 2) The shower curtain was still in a box. 3) Almost all of the towels were still in plastic packaging (not washed). 4) 2 rooms did not have light bulbs. 5) 1 room did not have a fire detector - just wires hanging from the ceiling. There were several other inconsistencies in the listing. Still, Airbnb decided that did not warrant a bad review! I am no longer Airbnb fan. They do not care about the customer just the people that provide them a product to rent - no matter how bad.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

We were in the process of building a home and it wasn't ready after our lease ended. We resorted to staying in an Airbnb for over 2 months since we couldn't extend our lease. We stayed at 5 different Airbnbs. The last one we had an huge and had to call Airbnb and they were no help. We checked out on a Saturday and left a gun/rifle in the closet and forgot it. The host emailed us an hour later and asked if we left it. Then again the next day and a final time. So he messaged us a total of 3 times but didn't call us. We didn't see any of the messages since we were busy moving in to our new home. On Monday I saw the messages and responded right away and called the host. He wasn't available and I sent another message letting him know to give me a call with my contact information. He never called.

He responded and asked me to confirm what type of gun it was and if I was able to pick it up at 2pm the next day. After confirming he then says he would only meet me and return the gun if I paid him $250 for damages. He stated I had 2 dogs and his house rules was only 1 dog and it was $75 per dog. He goes on to say now the house smells like urine and needs to get it professionally cleaned. I called him out and said, "You contacted me 3 times concerning a gun I left there and no mention of anything else. Now that you know it's mine and I want it back you want $250 in exchange for the gun." He denied it. I was furious and wrote a review. Both our reviews were published and he got so upset (his said I was a perfect guest and mine said the home was fine but host was not) and told me all communication now had to go through Airbnb.

I called Airbnb and was assigned to a case manager. She was no help, worthless! She told me, "Well why don't you just pay him the $250 and he return your property." She said, "Well if he gives you the gun and you don't pay him then he's out $250." I said, "If I pay him $250 then I'm saying I'm admitting to the damages and might not get my gun back too." I told her I'm calling the police. She said oh the police would just make things more difficult so I shouldn't and that she will work things out with him.

Long story short I agreed to pay him $150 and then he agreed he would meet me and return the gun. After paying him he refused to meet and wanted to leave the gun outside of the Airbnb for me to pickup. I told him hell no you can't leave a gun unattended like that. I called the police and told them what happen and they told me I didn't need to pay him at all. They said this is 2 different issues and each needed to be handle differently. He has my property and he needs to return it. Then if he feels I damaged his property he needs to make a request through Airbnb for that request. A host can't hold any personal property hostage because they want some sort of payment. The police were able to get me my gun back. I will be filing a complaint against Airbnb regarding this matter.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My friend and I used Airbnb for the first time this year. We got a flat in Mykonos with no wifi and no washing machine (even though description said they were included); and we got an abusive and aggressive host on our second stay. The situation with the second host got so out of hand that they first recommended us to leave the hotel because “safety comes first” and then proceeded to follow up with an investigation where we had to call them every week (otherwise we would not hear back from them), provide them with all the information they kept requesting, recounting our harrowing experience over and over, to just not get any type of refund a month later.

We called to ask the basis of their decision and they never explained it. We kept saying no rational women would leave a hotel at midnight, without staying one night, and pay another two hotels out of pocket if there weren’t an issue. By doing so, they promote and reward aggressive and abusive behaviour as well as making it blatantly clear that they do not care about the security of their guests nor do they guarantee it. Considering my first experience, I think it is a lot safer (and a lot less expensive), to book hotels or using websites like Expedia or Booking.com where at least your safety is guaranteed. I have never been more scared in my entire life and I really could not regret dealing with Airbnb more.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

We stayed with two different hosts on our trip to Canada in August 2019. Our experience with the first host was great but the second one is memorable (not in a good way). The pictures did not represent how run down the place was.

Issues:
The furniture was old and dusty.
There were pets that had stayed in the house (which wasn't disclosed) and our 7 year old at the time was severely allergic to both cat/dogs and to dust so her allergies bothered her through the night.
The place reeked of alcohol (found an empty beer bottle in the bedroom) and wasn't cleaned properly.

Our 7 year old found a straw that was shaped in the form of male genitals when looking for a spoon.

Our stay with the second host was for two days - after noticing our daughter did not get much sleep, we ended up staying at a hotel and left the property. We requested a refund (for only the second night) and sent pictures and an explanation of what occurred. After playing phone tag, while still vacationing, for about two weeks, we never received a refund for the second night.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Be careful. I had 2 Airbnb accounts and when I made a reservation it was linked to an old account...one that I no longer could access. I immediately (that day) asked Airbnb for support to cancel my old account. They sent me a link to change the account but unfortunately they sent the link to my OLD email associated with my OLD account. Host confirmation with cancellation terms was sent to the OLD account. Then when I tried to cancel the old account and the reservation I was told that I would get no refund based on the host's strict cancellation policy. I told support to cancel not just my current reservation but ALL my Airbnb accounts. Imagine my surprise when I found that Airbnb had billed the 2nd half of the reservation against my express wishes to cancel the reservation AND all my accounts. I'm now disputing $2800 in Airbnb charges and believe this is a terrible SCAM and will never consider doing business with Airbnb again...EVER.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

We rented at Lake of the Ozarks with our family to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. As soon as we arrived at the property, we had 2 major safety issues with the property. The property also advertised accommodating 12 people, but it was not equipped to support our 9 guests. We contacted the host/owner/realtor, Mike ** (the property’s host/owner/realtor), on August 8th, within an hour of arriving on the property and discussed many of the issues with him. He said if we were not happy, we could cancel and get our money refunded. We had three families, each traveling 6 hours to get here, so that was not an option!

We then called Evolve Property Management within 30 minutes of talking to the contact host. They did not answer and said to leave a message. Which we did. They (Airbnb) sent an email the next day (August 9th) at 12:50 pm, stating “This is the Resolutions Team at Evolve. What issues are you having?” We then sent them a list and pictures of the major issues with the property that had been discussed with Mike **. No one from Evolve Property Management ever responded to these issues; no email, no call, no visit, nothing!

We submitted a claim for 50% reduction in our bill (total bill was $6,729.12). After almost 2 months of emailing Airbnb they came back with a $500 refund. Which was a joke, for a property that went for $1,500 night. The Evolve Property Management and Airbnb are major rip-off companies. They are more concerned with taking customer's money, and don’t care if they provide the property that they advertise!!!! Evolve never responded to any issues!!! Airbnb only responded with we requested a 50% refund. We never saw Mike ** responses to our original letter to Evolve and Airbnb. We had been in contact with an Airbnb representative on multiple occasions, and her comments were the same, “waiting to hear back from the owner.” I assumed Airbnb would have sent us the owners original response. But never did.

We saw it for the first time on September 20th. The hosts response, he stated, “your concern was primarily around the lower martini deck patio furniture being old and that there was no designated swimming area, which is not what any lake home offers at Lake of the Ozarks.” This was NOT true, I talked to him on the phone and said the lower deck furniture was moldy and not usable. He said he could send someone to Menards to get replacement furniture, but it was late in the season, and they probably would not have any furniture left. So, I did not decline the offer. He said it would NOT do any good because Menards was probably out of deck furniture.

The designated swim area was NOT one of my concerns, my concern was getting to the dock WITHOUT injury!! I also stressed the two safety issues: 1) steps to the dock had a section missing, it was very easy to slip and fall due to the sharp incline. 2) the deck around the upper level of the cabin had a section broken and a person could fall through the deck. We see he did not include the second issue in his write up. There were other issues as well, the projector in the basement did not work. He worked with my grandson, but it still did not work. I also told him about the two TVs upstairs that did not work. He said they did not belong there. There was not enough bedding to support 9 people, dining room was sitting for 6 people and 2 high top chairs to sit at the kitchen counter.

He said he “offered a prompt full refund and help to find another place and you declined”. This is NOT true. He said we could get a full refund. He NEVER offered to find another place!!! We rejected to refund because we had 3 families travel 6 hours to get there. If he had something to offer as a replacement, we would have looked at it. He stated “The sleeping arrangements count the number of people based on the occupancy for each bed. With that in mind, each bed and each futon all have a full bed set complete with pillows, blankets, and comforters.” Once again, this is NOT true. The bunk beds in the loft JUST had sheets, there were NO blankets or comforters. The futons in the basement and in the loft had NO sheets, blankets, or comforters. And the futon in the basement was BROKEN with nails stick out!!

He also stated that “there is a long step to the dock, it has always been that way.” I don’t think that is true either. You could see by the pictures that we attached to the original document, that at one time there was a section steps there. One of his last comments was “We have sent out maintenance to inspect and address the other items you mentioned and everything is up to par.” In other words, they corrected everything after we left is what I understand by that comment. He never addresses the other items about handling 12 people in the cabin: bedding, silverware, dining seating, no toaster. The property did not handle our group of 9! Evolve NEVER responded to our concerns. The host/owner also said “we strive to make sure the home is in excellent condition and rarely have complaints.’ Of the 8 reviews posted, and there were 2 complaints. That means there is a 25% unsatisfactory rate.

It is very disappointing that we are going back and forth to get this resolved for almost 2 months and neither Evolve or Airbnb were any help. They were more concern with making sure they got their money, which we paid upfront. A $500 return was a slap in the face. I would NOT recommend doing business with either Evolve and Airbnb. They support a lying host/owner over a customer with legitimate concerns with documented complaints. It is obvious, they do NOT care about the customer!!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Airbnb has very poor service unlike with Booking.com and other site for booking. It was my first time to book at Airbnb and the destination is in Belfast, Northern Ireland. We booked in one of Lesley Lemont properties and we were hopeful to get a quick response confirmation about our booking as we want to finalize our travel booking and flights. She hang us and our booking got expired without a yes or no. Ridiculed and mocked me about my status and profession. Airbnb was biased with their judgement and didn't offer help and solution. Definitely not going to recommend.

Airbnb Company Information