Aer Lingus

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I booked a flight to San Francisco from Bristol via Dublin. When I arrived at Bristol check-in I was told I needed an ESTA to travel to USA. I overlooked this detail just before I traveled due to a family bereavement and must admit my mind was all over the place, and thought I had already done this because I have been to the USA before. Anyway, I was told I can easily apply on the airport's coin-fed computer but, unfortunately, this computer was very slow. As time was running out the check-in girl came over to see how i was getting on and I said I'm struggling to complete so I suggested that there was a 3 hour wait in Dublin. I can finish it off there. She then told me that her supervisor (who was nowhere to be seen) is not letting us on the plane with no ESTA.

I offered to buy tickets to just Dublin but was told the flight was fully booked. Is it against the law to fly to Dublin without an ESTA? Would the airline get in trouble for 2 passengers to fly to Dublin without an ESTA? Anyway we got the ESTA and the next day flew to Dublin only to find out after the check-in girl told us that everything was arranged that we were not on the San Francisco flight. (She lied.) The flight was overbooked. After a lot of distress we decided to pay 100 euros each (as a goodwill gesture. Can you believe it?), fly to Los Angeles, then pay £200 pound each to fly to San Fran taking one and a half days off our holiday, and losing one night's prepaid hotel stay.

The whole episode started in Bristol when they wouldn't let us on the plane for not having a document that we did not need until we departed for the USA. I am still disgusted with Aer Lingus. After all the tickets were over £1000. I would think that they would be more helpful to their customers. I will never fly with them again and even the thought of flying with Aer LIngus again makes my wife feel sick. A lot of people must complain about them because the waiting time for replies to complaints on their web is about 60 days.

Aer Lingus lost our bags when we were traveling back from the US. It took a week for them to finally find our bags but we had to purchase an item costing us 173 euros while we waiting for them to find our bag. We have contacted them three times regarding our costs. Also we got a bill from our phone company today charging us 15 euros for calls to their baggage line no - 1-890-800-147. We have not yet heard a reply and it has been over one months since we submitted our case.

31/08/2016 - Flight LY 0343 "Tel-Aviv - Zurich" (ELAL) and flight EI 0349 "Zurich-Dublin" (Aer Lingus). Our luggage was sent to Dublin from Tel Aviv. We didn't receive it after arrival and reported to Aer Lingus "Lost & Found". We received it after 4 days delay (20:15 4/09/2016). 10/09/2016 - flight EI 0344 "Dublin-Zurich" (Aer Lingus) and flight LY0344 (ELAL) "Zurich-Tel-Aviv". This time we decided to send our luggage to Zurich, and after it receiving in Zurich to send it to Tel Aviv. NO CHANCE! We didn't receive it in Zurich after arrival (it was sent to Madrid). We received it in Tel Aviv after 3 days delay. Summary: the last company I trust is Aer Lingus.

Two sisters journey to Ireland to see where their grandparents and great grandparents were born and lived. Our first flight was E10138 Boston to Dublin, September 1st departing 21:00 arriving Dublin 8:05. As we waited in line to get our boarding passes, we were told the flight was overbooked so we voluntarily agreed to fly to Paris on Air France for compensation and continue via Aer Lingus to Dublin with only an hour layover in Paris. We only agreed to all this after asking the following questions and receiving the following answers from the floor manager at the boarding pass area.

"What time will we be getting into Dublin on our return trip instead of our original 8:00 am?" We were told 11:00 am. We were not given any Aer Lingus Boarding Passes for our flight back from Paris to Dublin but only a piece of paper that said Passenger Itinerary. When we questioned this, he said, "Don't worry, it's all in the computer." "How will be get our boarding passes?" "When you get off the plane, there will be a terminal right there. You'll go into the terminal and an Aer Lingus representative at the desk will get you your boarding passes." "How will our luggage get to Dublin if we are going to Paris?" "Don't worry we will send your luggage to Dublin before you get there."

This is what happened: the manager walked us speedily over to Air France. We took the flight from Dublin to Paris. When we got off the plane, the terminal was not our connecting terminal. We were bussed to two different terminals and sent through multiple security lines. No Aer Lingus desk and no representative anywhere. We were directed by airport personnel to two different gates to try to get an Aer Lingus flight to Dublin because they told us there was no Aer Lingus rep in the airport. Security would not let us through any gate without a boarding pass! Our time between flights was supposed to be 70 minutes. It was gone by now.

After asking everyone and running all over the airport, the only way to get to an Aer Lingus desk was to leave the arrival terminal which meant we had to go through immigration and then reenter the terminal which we did. After finding the Aer Lingus counter, we waited in line for 45 minutes to speak with someone. The counter help said he could not issue us a boarding pass from the piece of paper we had been given in Boston. After some time at the counter and many calls, he directed us to the GH (ground handling) Team in Hall 6. After waiting in line again, the staff there said we would have to pay for our flight from Paris to Dublin. We declined and stood our ground.

After some conversation and what seemed to be a supervisor, we were told to return to the counter in 20 minutes and they would give us documentation to get a boarding pass. We were given an 8 euro allowance for food which did not buy anything. One of the travelers returned early to the desk to wait, and was told, "Here is your documentation, run for the plane." That was 12:20; the flight was 13:05, 25 minutes. She rounded up her sister, and off they went with little time to spare back to the Aer Lingus counter to get their boarding passes. Luckily the clerk saw us and called us to the front of a very long line. We barely made the flight. That was EI 523 flight leaving Paris at13:05. It was exhausting and very stressful.

To top this off, when we got to Dublin, we had no luggage, so more running around searching and trips to customer service. We literally spent hours away from our vacation plans shopping for clothes and toiletries which we now have to jump through hoops in order to recoup these costs. We also spent much time calling and talking daily with the Baggage Tracers. We finally received our luggage in Galway, 5 days after our arrival. (We were told over and over again by the baggage tracers, it was in Dublin, but then it wasn't.) I feel our only fault was believing that an employee for Aer Lingus was speaking the truth to two women who thought it would be fun to be in Paris for 1 hour. This was a 60th birthday trip that was nearly overshadowed by lies told to us starting in Boston and seemingly continuing in Ireland. You can only imagine the stress on a 60 and 69 year old pair of sisters.

Booked a flight through a Travel Agent as thought it would be no stress. Aer Lingus when asked for assistance as we both have walking difficulties have spent the last 2 weeks asking for medications we're both on, and today want us to get our GP to fill in and sign a form re us. I consider their questions not just rude but an invasion of my privacy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

My husband and I traveled to Europe on July 29, 2016 to attend my son's wedding in Ireland, and vacation in France and Italy afterwards. We flew on KLM from San Francisco to Amsterdam, and to Ireland on Aer Lingus. July 30, 2016. Upon arriving in Dublin, we found out that our luggage did not arrive. We filed a Lost Luggage claim with Aer Lingus in the Baggage Claim Area, before leaving the airport. We indicated in the claim that we were in transit to Sligo, in the West of Ireland and would be leaving Dublin the next day. The Aer Lingus representative assured us that our bags would probably be on the next flight, and that they would deliver them to our hotel in Dublin.

July 31, 2016. Our baggage was not delivered to our hotel in Dublin. Contacted Aer Lingus. They told us that there had been a problem with the conveyor system at Schipol in Amsterdam, and that there was a big delay in receiving the baggage in Dublin. That's probably not true, but at that point I still believed in Aer Lingus. They indicated that only one bag had been found, and that they were looking for the other bag. They promised that as soon as our luggage arrived, they would send it to our Hotel in Sligo. I mentioned again my son's wedding, and how we were without formal attire, or any basic belongings, and we were running out of medication, which I need to take on a daily basis. I also let them know that we were leaving for Paris on August 2, and provided the address of our hotel.

August 2, 2016. At the Dublin Airport, on our way to Paris, we stopped at the Aer Lingus "Customer Service" Phone outside the Baggage Claim area. Tried for 30 minutes, no answer. We flagged down an Aer Lingus representative who was coming out of the baggage claim area and explained our problem. He gave us a pass to enter the baggage claim area and talk to a rep there. I talked with one of the reps at the counter who let me look for my bags in the sea of lost/misplaced luggage they had.

I found one of my bags, but at that point we were late to go through security for our flight to Paris so the Aer Lingus rep offered to put the bag on the same flight to Paris right away. I was stupid enough to believe that this was going to happen, and once more I trusted their customer service. That was the last time I saw one of the bags. We had to go out and buy clothes and other necessities, because at this point we had been wearing the same clothes for three days.

August 3 and 4, 2016. Called Aer Lingus in the morning, only to be told that they were tracing the missing bag, and that the bag they had was in-route to Paris at that very minute, and they would deliver it in the afternoon. Well, at the end of the day on August 4, still no bag, and we were going to be traveling to Rome the next day. I had to deal also with Aer Lingus rude customer service representatives hanging up on me. AER LINGUS DOES NOT CARE!!! And as soon as I called and gave them my claim number, they would hang up on me.

8/5/16. Went to the airport for our flight to Rome. We had a couple of hours to spare so we decided to pursue the Aer Lingus claim with their representatives at the CDG airport. They sent us from counter to counter, until my husband finally got a hold of a floor supervisor at the departures counter. She flagged down one of the Baggage Claim reps, and I was able to enter the baggage claim area to talk to an Aer Lingus representative in person. This lady looked at my claim online, and assured me that BOTH bags were at the airport in Dublin. She called the Aer Lingus Rep in Ireland to confirm that, and also to advise them of the changes in the delivery address. Since the Aer Lingus rep did not update the information, she entered the new information herself, and assured me that they would deliver my bags in Rome in the next couple of days.

8/6-8/8/16. NO BAGS. I called every day, and every day they kept changing the story. One day they would say the bags were in Dublin, the next day they would say they were arriving that same afternoon. Blah, blah, blah, blah. ALL LIES!!! Same problem I had before, I would call, they would hang up on me. Provided my addresses in Florence and Venice, just in case.

8/9-8/13/16. Called everyday from Florence and Venice, the story kept changing. In the meantime, no record updates online. But now they said that actually only ONE bag was found, and it was at the Dublin Airport. The other bag, they were still "tracing" it. They confirmed in Paris that BOTH bags had been found! At that point I asked the representative to send whatever bags were found to my permanent address in the US.

8/30/16. Still NO BAGS, NO ANSWERS. We submitted a claim for a refund of daily expenses, but at this point, I don't have much hope of even getting some compensation for the lost luggage. I still call them every couple of days, but as soon as I say my claim number, they HUNG UP! September 5, 2016. I have called everyday, and now Aer Lingus immediately hangs up on me. There are no other communication options. All the paperwork has been submitted. No acknowledgement. No further communication. It has been over a month.

Flew from Cardiff to Dublin (Stobart Air for Aer Lingus) and then Dublin to Pearson Int (Toronto). Stobart Air was absolutely fine, no complaint there. Our flight to Toronto however was far from good. The aircraft was too small for Transatlantic and was very cramped. Visited the toilet and found the lighting was very dim due to the fluorescent tube being defective and giving off a dim glow. Worse still, trod in feces which was on the floor and all down the side of the toilet bowl. Absolutely disgusting.

On arrival at Toronto, it was over an hour before baggage started to arrive. Whilst waiting for the second of two bags, a member of staff (not Aer Lingus) took us aside (with many others) and told us our bag had not arrived. So someone knew in advance that many bags had not been loaded. We filled out forms and were told the missing baggage was still in Dublin and would be sent on the following day's flight. Lots of very irate people in the same position. I would guess that the aircraft couldn't handle the weight of a full baggage load.

Our bag contained shirts and shorts for the very hot weather, toiletry items, and formal wear for the family wedding we were attending. Day 2 - no phone call so we rang to enquire about our bag. We were told it hadn't arrived but was being sent by freight the next day. Had to buy shirts shorts and toiletries. Day 3 - no phone call so we again rang to enquire. It is on its way we were told, so no need to buy replacement clothes. However, the bag didn't show up. Day 4 - Wedding day and no clothes. However, a local taxi turned up with the bag late morning. Alas, too late for the wedding we had especially flown over for.

No contact at all from Aer Lingus. Tried to complain to staff at IAD Washington before our return flight, to be told I could only complain online!! Return flight was also cramped and our meal was spilled over us when the occupants in the seats in front decided to recline, despite cabin crew instructing them otherwise. A complaint brought little action from the cabin crew who looked harassed and under pressure. Trying to complain online and the Aer Lingus site keeps crashing before I can complete. What a shambles from a third rate operator. WILL NEVER FLY AER LINGUS AGAIN... NEVER!!!

Will not be using this airline again. Rude staff. not good service. Was on my way back for Dublin going home to Scotland Glasgow airport had already paid for my tickets online before hand. Got to the airport on time and went to get boarding pass etc was told a morning flight had missed it even when I had printed it out and it clearly said it was a night flight on the booking.

After this I went to the information desk and the staff looked bored and not helpful, said what had happened and had to buy a new ticket 155.99 and went to get halfway there. I looked in my bag and my passport had fell out had to go to the Garda police to get it back. Went back to the desk explained what had happened. The staff said there would transfer my onto another flight by this time, was tired anger and feed up so had to hung about the airport for another four hours.

After this went to get the flight and was told that they had not transfer my on this said would have to pay a charge to do so after being told that this had be done as required at this had it with them just wanted to get home to Glasgow then back to Fife Dunfermline asap. So had to phone someone to get my flight with Ryan Air they did and was on the Ryan air plan got ticket go the gate and was on my way and back in Scotland. Would like a refund of them it is my money and will not be using them never again to go anywhere.

When I read Martha's post, I really couldn't believe that we had had almost the same experience: a) a 'demand' that we check our roll ons (we never check baggage), b) lost luggage going to IAD, c) no way to communicate with Aer Lingus as they gave us no case number to register our lost luggage even though we filled out all their required forms, d) complete inability to communicate with Aer Lingus as they simply do not answer the phones.

Surprisingly, a very nice lady in the Washington DC area (who also had HER luggage lost by Aer Liingus two days prior to ours) kindly called us to say that OUR luggage was on her door step when she arrived home from work! They put the wrong address for forwarding. Yet another foul up. Rather than trust Aer Lingus to follow up on this ridiculous scenario, I drove the 343 miles back to Washington DC to collect our long lost luggage seven days later. Had it not been for the kind lady in D.C taking the trouble to call us, our luggage would still be lost.

I wanted Aer Lingus to know about this and tried to notify them, but .... if you don't have a case number, (the number they "forgot" to supply when we told them our luggage did not arrive), they won't accept any response from the customer. I can see why this might improve their complaint statistics, since it is impossible to complain within their own system without that critical case number. We will NEVER (NEVER) use this airline again.

When we were boarding our Aer Lingus flight at London Heathrow, returning from our holiday in England, a very rude gate agent told us we had "Too many carry-ons". We had the legal amount and sizes based on the Aer Lingus website, but he refused to let us board the plane without checking our small roller bag. So they checked it to our final destination of Washington Dulles Airport and gave us a baggage ticket. They had no luggage tags to put on the bag and he said there would be no problem. Naturally, the bag never arrived in Washington. An airline rep at the baggage claim gave me, as well as several others, a form to fill out. What she didn't do was give us a claim number.

It has been 4 days so far and I have called leaving messages, emailed, and never yet been able to speak to an individual. There doesn't seem to be a way to find out if anyone has heard my messages, assigned a claim number, or received my emails. It is very frustrating. I did receive a 'Do Not Reply' email that said I would hear from someone but so far nothing. This is the first time I've had difficulty reaching an airline representative and it is more than exasperating! I don't think I'll fly Aer Lingus again. Although the flights were all on time and check-in was quick and easy, the feeling I got from the whole experience is that they are not very customer-focused. I will give an update if I ever hear from anyone with a satisfactory response, either getting my bag back, or adequate compensation.

I was stuck in Faro, Portugal for 4 days without money. I had previously changed my ticket, and paid the £35 fee. I could not get into my flight details online, and I tried many times to contact Aer Lingus in Portugal, their UK office, and their main office in Dublin. The phone either rang out, or the line was engaged. After being unable to gain access to my account, as I wanted to change my flight again to an earlier date, and which I was prepared to pay the £35 change fee again, I was denied access to my account details.

As I could not afford the next available flights I had to book a NEW ticket for four days later, which was the only one I had money in my account to book, so I had no other option. I then had to phone a friend to ask if she could send me some money, though she didn't have any herself. So I lived on bread, ham and bottled water for three days. I had been staying in a pension and the owner was aware of my problem, so he let me stay until I was able to get money through, the day before I left.

When I arrived at Faro airport for the flight home, the new ticket which I had bought at £65, I was told I was book on the flight but my luggage was not. I was also told that I had requested and paid for a particular seat, which I have never done in my life. I was told I could fly, but my luggage could not. I didn't have the money to pay again for my luggage. When I asked to speak to someone from Aer Lingus, I was told there were no Aer Lingus staff in the airport. I was then directed to the Customer Service desk of Portway in the airport.

I was very distressed, and I had just spent four days in a distressed condition due to the inability to contact Aer Lingus. When I explained my problem to them, they sorted it out within five minutes. They apologised for my distress, and for the actions, or inaction of Aer Lingus and suggested I contact them when they arrive home. I want Aer Lingus to refund the money for the new ticket I had to pay for, and I also want them to compensate me with the money I had to borrow from my friend to pay for the four extra days and night I had to spend in Faro. I will NEVER fly Aer Lingus again, and I am embarrassed that they are the national airline of Ireland. They should be very very ashamed.

My husband purchased a coach ticket and after the plane took off and people were allowed to move about the cabin, he immediately reclined his seat and went to sleep. He was abruptly woken up and told he was not allowed to recline his seat so he flew for 9 hours bolt upright. He and I will NEVER fly Aer Lingus again!! Never! I will tell everyone I know not to fly Aer Lingus! Hate them! He was so sore and his back hurt and he hadn't slept - he was a mess when he landed. Not a good way to start a holiday.

My daughter (and her roommate) were stuck in Dublin on March 20 when a French air traffic control strike forced Aer Lingus to cancel their return flight from Dublin to Barcelona. Aer Lingus told them they had to stay in Dublin for at least 3 more days before the airline would be able to get them back to Barcelona. As that was not acceptable (they are students and had to get back to classes in Barcelona), I booked them on an Aer Lingus flight next morning (March 21) from Dublin to London Gatwick airport at a cost of $400 (each), and then on a flight from London Heathrow (a $70 taxi fare from Gatwick) to Barcelona on Iberia, at a cost of another $278 (each).

Despite Aer Lingus's website saying under "Flight Disruption Info" that if your flights are affected by a disruption, you can change your dates of travel free of charge and free of any fare difference, I have been unable to get Aer Lingus to refund any money at all. They offered to refund the unused portion of the round trip fare from Barcelona to Dublin (about US$120), but have not done so (it's been 2 months), and they offer no explanation why they will not honor the statement on their own website about allowing change in date and fare when there is a trip disruption. I'm not even asking them to refund the Iberia fare from London Heathrow to Barcelona, just the $400 I paid (times 2 for the two girls) for the fare from Dublin to London. Getting nowhere at all. Should I have the opportunity to fly into/out of Ireland in the future, I will never use Aer Lingus.

Flew from Shannon Ireland to New York on 30 March 2016 with husband and 3 kids aged 4, 6 and 15 months. After drinks service asked for milk for the baby and was told "no". I was told milk was for passengers!! She said there was not enough milk on board the flight and I would have to wait until after dinner service. My baby was crying at this point and she knew this as my seat was next to galley. And the attendant asked me what more did I want as she had given me extra water and pretzels earlier which I didn't ask for and were useless to me as all I needed was milk for the baby... I had my own cookies etc. but due to airport security I only had so much liquids and mine were used up.

Reluctantly she gave me some milk and watered it down but the baby wouldn't drink it and was hysterical crying as I was trying to get her to drink water with some milk in it and it was cold... I was too afraid of the flight attendant to ask her to heat it up. Then a few min later she came up to me and handed me a full bottle of milk and told me to keep it in my handbag! I asked to empty the milky water and she gave me a look. I never felt so small or so angry. She was the rudest flight attendant I ever met. She obviously doesn't like people and should find another job as she made me cry. My baby was inconsolable and our trip was ruined due to this experience. I have always flown Aer Lingus and for 7 years flew with kids. I was never refused milk for a baby and I will never fly Aer Lingus again.

Aer Lingus used to be my favorite airline - my choice for flying to Europe. But that all changed today when they cancelled my booking on a flight from JFK to Madrid, last minute with no explanation except "Fraud" and denied me to board the plane. I was given no explanation for this except that my credit card company didn't pay for a flight from 2014. What? It is March 2016 and I've flown many times since 2014 on Aer Lingus. I checked every flight and every card and each was paid for. After spending the morning calling my credit company and calling Aer Lingus with them, they said they'd give it to a manager and he'd call me back. He never did. I went to the airport and was dealt with by a supervisor who was rude, mean and gave me no information as to what this "Fraud" was. He said repeatedly "You can not fly on this or any other Aer Lingus flight." What? Why? No explanation or help.

They treated me like a criminal - guilty with NO explanation or PROOF of anything I could do to understand how I was BLACKLISTED. I made every effort to sort this out - I called customer care 3 times and arrived to the airport to see if I could handle this in person. After being rudely denied boarding I was given a customer care number for an office only open from 9am-12pm. I called again this morning and they said they'd get back to me. A nicer Irish woman, who had to refer this to supervisor "Roy".

I have filed a complaint with the Commission for Aviation Regulation and that is all I can do. Aer Lingus will have to refund me for this and any other flights I've scheduled with them. I'm now stuck in New York City as any new booking will cost double the amount. I WILL NEVER FLY AER LINGUS AGAIN. Something very terrible is happening with that airline - it has turned into a bunch of bullies who arbitrarily penalize customers in the manner of Nazis.

We purchased airline tickets for a trip to Ireland several months in advance with a travel agent. A portion of our trip was cancelled, which caused a 6 hour delay coming back from a long flight. Aer Lingus was not able to get a better connection so we cancelled our flight. They did not even try. Aer Lingus was going to make us wait to get our refund on our credit card - up to 6 weeks. We got a refund from our Credit card by filing a dispute. I tried calling Aer Lingus and was on hold for over an hour and hung up. We are flying on Air Canada to Dublin Ireland and will avoid Aer Lingus at all costs!

I booked a flight to Dublin and because the Internet kept on throwing me out at the end of the process I phoned up their customer service's line to check whether the sale had gone through. I was told it had not and therefore I rebooked. Several days later I noticed that there were two pending charges. I again phoned the customer services and was told that they would refund the smaller amount. As I did not return receive the refund I phoned again and found that no refund had been made. I asked that they refund the amount and asked for a formal complaint to be out on the system. This was a week ago and I have not received a refund or any comment about my issue from Aer Lingus.

I booked a flight from Cork to Paris return... I put in July dates instead of June. I realised my mistake immediately but when I went in to make changes to itinerary... I had to pay €80. (Most of us have to earn €120 to €160 gross to pay this.) For making which is essentially a correction. (I got delayed making the actual change because website was acting up).

This is sickening and seems to be the worse form of customer service, with no mercy for an honest mistake. One would expect at least a few hours of a window, to make a change or correct an error. This is clearly a deliberate ploy to take advantage of squeeze money out of decent customers, it is unforgiving and mean. If it were possible to give No Stars for this, I would but alas it's not... A refund of my €80 Euro and a change of this policy (even granting a one or two hour window to make changes), would be a praiseworthy move, but alas again. I have a snow balls chance in hell of this happening.

Just a brief message in regards to x 4 flights we booked with "Aer Lingus" at the beginning of January 2016. We are attending a family function and deliberately booked the flights for a particular day and time. We booked early to ensure we got the flights we wanted only to find Aer Lingus changed the flight time twice making the flight arrival so late we would miss the function. We had to cancel all flights, re-book which took a lot of time and paid twice the original amount with the carrier "BA" which appears to use Aer Lingus planes. Is this a scam? To get more money out of you? In future I feel put off at booking with Aer Lingus in case they do not honor their advertised flight times. Be VERY careful booking especially if you definitely have to arrive at a specific time.

August 2015 my husband and 10-month old baby traveled from Heathrow - JFK. We sat on the runway for 2 hours without any explanation for the delay - until rumors began spreading about a fire in Dublin airport. We were eventually told to disembark the plane and board a shuttle bus back to terminal. We then waited on a stationary shuttle bus on the runway until there was an announcement that we could get back on the plane if we wanted and try our luck getting the connection at Dublin. The only information available was from google searches done by ourselves and other passengers. No staff were able to inform us what was going on.

We decided to get back on the plane and arrived in Dublin airport where there was understandably chaos as a result of the fire that had occurred that morning. An Aer Lingus staff member reassured us that we could definitely make our connecting flight and so we hurried through the customs line for both the UK and through the beginning of US Customs and then instead of helping us through to catch our flight we were told to sit in a taped off area. This was very stressful as we realized our flight was so close to taking off. Around 15 minutes later they escorted a group of us to an empty gate back in the departures level of the airport. We were told to wait but then nobody came back to let us know what was going on. Eventually we decided to find some Aer Lingus representatives ourselves to explain our situation to.

When we finally came to board our flight my husband was singled out for routine checks. As we had a a very tired baby by this point we wanted to board as priority. I was unable to carry our baby and carry my bag and sit myself alone so we asked a member of staff if my husband may be allowed to assist me or whether I should hold back. The member of staff explained to us apologetically that this would not be able to happen and just as she finished explaining, a really horrible member of staff started shouting that he was going to get the immigration police to 'sort out' my husband.

We felt pretty shocked and vulnerable. He went on to threaten to remove my husband from the flight and became extremely aggressive especially when we told him we wanted to take his name. He began to rally the staff against my husband and making all sorts of threats towards him. I was extremely upset and my husband was dumbfounded. We did board the plane, were then told that we would sit there a further 2.5 hours whilst we waited for another plane to turn up with some extra passengers. In total we had now experience 10 hours of delays and our baby was being a hero but understandably had had enough.

When we arrived in New York 5 of our 5 bags were missing and our stroller/car seat. We waited in lost baggage line at the airport for 2 hours and went home with nothing - there was also no information on the system that two of the items even existed. After extensive calls the next day 2 bags were found and delivered a day later rather than the same day. One by one they were found and 5 days later we thankfully had all of belongings back. We filled in their "customer relations" form and followed it up and have never heard anything back ever. Save yourselves from this experience. These people really do not care or even know what customer care is.

My daughter's flight from Dublin to London Heathrow on Nov 2 was cancelled "due to fog" THE DAY BEFORE! It wasn't foggy on Nov 2 and other airlines were flying. There were no Aer Lingus flights she could book to make her Air Canada connection, so she had to get a business class seat (the only possible seat out of Dublin that morning) on another flight. There had been ZERO response in 2.5 months from Aer Lingus to multiple attempts to get compensation, including electronic submission of a completed complaint form, emails and attempted phone calls (nobody ever picks up). This would never happen in Canada and is completely unacceptable! An embarrassment to Ireland. Why doesn't the government step in and penalize this company for their non-existent customer service? Warning: DON'T USE THIS AIRLINE!

Was due to travel to Cork (Ireland) on 12th December. Was sitting in the departure lounge (having gone through security etc.) when the announcement of the cancellation was made. No alternative flights could be offered that day. As I was traveling to watch an International Rugby Match that afternoon (along with most of the plane) we were all given an "Aer Lingus Flight Cancellation Notice" by the Ticket Desk (back landslide) - this states that a reimbursement within seven days will be made (Yeah right).

Today, some 3 weeks later I chased for said refund and was told it will now take up to 28 working days (not calendar days) from today making it anything up to 2 months to get my 200 back from when they cancelled the flight. Yes, the weather was bad that day and yes safety is a priority but other carriers from other airports managed fine! I can live with the flight being cancelled and I can take all the other wasted costs "on the chin" (parking, match day tickets, fuel etc.) but what I can't take is the apparent ineptitude of Aer Lingus and their total disregard for what is "reasonable" in terms of time to refund for a flight they cancelled. The "couldn't give a stuff" attitude of the staff who handled the call pretty much summed up the whole affair.

For record purposes, my reference number is **. During August 2015 my wife and I flew from Lyon, France to London Gatwick via Dublin. On our arrival at London Gatwick we waited for a considerable period for our luggage (2 items) and after 45 minutes contacted the Aer Lingus representative who took our contact details and assured me that an employee from Aer Lingus will contact me within 24 hours to provide us with the reference number. No contact was made and the following morning, I contacted Aer Lingus in Dublin but was informed that they could not help me because I could not provide them with the reference number. Only 4 telephone calls later could I obtain the precious reference number. I was assured that our luggage items were already at London Gatwick, and would be delivered at our address within a matter of hours.

Nothing was delivered that day, and on the second day, I once again contacted the offices in Dublin and was once again assured that the luggage was with the courier, and would be delivered shortly. Only after 46 hours we received our luggage. In the meantime we required clothing, shoes and cosmetics which were in our delayed baggage, but I was assured repeatedly that we could purchase whatever was necessary, and to keep the invoices which were to be forwarded to the Aer Lingus offices, whereafter we would be reimbursed.

We kept the invoices relating to items that we were obliged to purchase, sent them to Aer Lingus and, more than 3 months later, and having listened to several excuses, not even a portion of the amount owing has been paid. I am repeatedly referred to the website, which is of no use whatsoever. How can any right-minded person expect me to even consider flying Aer Lingus again???

I have just tried to book a flight from Dublin to Gatwick with Aer Lingus. It took an hour & kept hanging. I tried it on three different laptops - but it kept hanging or saying it's an insecure website. When I eventually got to the confirm the payment, it proceeded and then was hanging again. I contacted the website helpdesk. The operator said she would find out if the booking had gone through - then she needed to speak to someone else - then she couldn't find out and that I'd need to check with the Bank - Visa Payment and company credit card!

When I said I was unhappy about the service and wanted to speak to someone about it she said my only option was to go back to the website and fill out a form - I presume after I ring my finance manager to check with the bank and before I book with another airline. When I said I would like someone to ring me back she said they can't ring out from the office she was in. When I asked what office that was and what department she was in she initially said customer service and then said actually she don't know - 'I've been here three days', honestly? I am appalled at this service - I travel Aerlingus all the time by preference. I can't believe the service has deteriorated so much.

Booked and paid for flights - MAN-DUB, DUB-JFK at the end of Jan. 2015. Around Sept. advised MAN-DUB flight cancelled and we would be transferred to later flight, which arrived 10 mins. after DUB-MAN left. After long discussion and many emails to CEO Steven Kavanagh they gave us a voucher for £150 for future use. We sucked it up and altered our flight to the evening before and booked an airport hotel, in order to make our original DUB-JFK flight. At the beginning of Sept. I became quite unwell visiting doctor several times and made decision to cancel. That's when the fun started.

We cancelled quite easily, and were told we would get a refund of taxes paid, and a cancellation email (for insurance use) within 4 weeks, but 'it was all in the system'. After 4 weeks they then said 28 working days but 'it was all in the system'. After 30 working days still no refund so spoke to a supervisor, who assured us she would send an email that day - which she did - and our refund would be in the account in 3/4 days. It is now 5 days and I am still waiting. I emailed Steven Kavanagh yesterday, and resent my email today and I will do so every day until I get some kind of response. The Social Media side of things is a complete joke - no one replies and the Call Center staff all appear to be liars or are totally incompetent. We have flown this route with Aer Lingus on many occasions but all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!!

My family of 4 adults were aboard an Aer Lingus flight from Kerry Airport to Dublin when mechanical problems with the plane's landing gear caused us to return to Kerry. We were stranded there for 4 hours and could not get any help or information from the Aer Lingus ground staff. When I requested help from "Information" I was given the misinformation that a representative from Air Canada would assist us when we got to Dublin Airport (not true). When we eventually got to Dublin Airport it was only to see our return flight to Canada take off without us, we were still aboard the Aer Lingus flight 4 hours after the scheduled time of landing. There was nobody to help us at Dublin airport.

We missed our flight to Toronto, and subsequently our flights home to Victoria on the west coast of Canada. We were stranded and traumatized and eventually had to buy replacement tickets on Air Canada for the following day at a cost of almost $9000, as well as pay for hotel rooms at a cost of 500 Euros. The response of the AL staff at Dublin would have been funny if we weren't so devastated. They claimed they only contracted to get us to Dublin. They never said it would be on time!

This was in August and Aer Lingus Customer Service has finally replied to our complaint today, (Oct 15) saying that they "do not consider claims of a consequential nature". This means that their mechanical problems on a flight cost us $10 000, delayed us for 4 hours at Kerry then a further 24 at Dublin and ruined our memories of Ireland, yet they are in no way responsible, other than regretting that Aer Lingus "did not meet our expectations." We are horrified by this lack of concern and will not let the matter drop until we receive fair compensation. We refuse to become just more Aer Lingus victims.

Bookings for a return flight from Dublin to Lyon were made through Priceline.com. Priceline always includes a generic warning that some airlines charge baggage fees. We expected this. At check in we were informed (incorrectly) that if we had registered online, the fees would have been waived. A fee of E100 was charged for two bags. We were told (incorrectly that if we registered before the return flight our fees would be waived. This I attempted to do but soon found out that the fees are charged both ways (unlike other airlines) and there is no waiver and you can only access the pre-flight baggage information if you have a booking confirmation. Either way, it cost us an extra E200 in baggage fees on a E350 trip.

Complaint No1, service personal at Lyon laughed in our faces when we explained to difficulties encountered with the fees. No 2, Service personnel gave us incorrect information in Dublin. No 3. On board flight attendants offer no service other than to walk up and down the aisle asking if you want to buy tea, coffee, water or snacks. Please note, there was no complimentary service whatsoever this international flight. I urge anyone contemplating the use of this airline to compare services offered by other reputable airlines first.

My husband I traveled to Paris from IAD for my birthday on Aer Lingus flights. Upon arriving from Dublin to CDG on Sept 10th, my husband's bag arrived, but not mine. In over 20 years of flying, Aer Lingus is the first carrier to not deliver my bag the next day when it's been delayed. Even after following all of Aer Lingus' directions and reporting the bag as non-delivered at the terminal, I spent my entire vacation in Paris without my belongings. No amount of emailing Aer Lingus through WorldTracer or ccc@aerlingus.com, or via social media has resulted in anyone contacting me about the bag.

As of today, my bag has been missing for 10 days, and surprisingly this afternoon, the status on my WorldTracer claim changed to "Delivery initiated" with a "Delivered Date" in the future. No one has called, emailed, or sent smoke signals to tell me when to expect the bag to arrive. I'm afraid to even trust whether it will really arrive or not on the "Delivered Date" they have identified on the WorldTracer claim.

This carrier is a joke. All they want to do is move people like cattle - they appear as if they couldn't care less about what happens after you arrive at your destination. Spend your money on a carrier that will treat you with respect - this one doesn't seem to have the capacity to do so. No one from Aer Lingus has given me a voucher, much less a call or email. I almost had faith in the social media team, but alas like customer "service" (and I use that word in jest), they don't work on the weekends! I also reported Aer Lingus' main HQ in NY to the BBB, and also filled out a complaint on the US DOT site.

Have flown more than 40 years on trips to Ireland with Aer Lingus and have been satisfied until my most recent return trip home. It seems Aer Lingus has chartered aircraft and crew from a U.S. company and the service is not up to standards. Without prior notice, I arrived at Shannon to find my flight home was on a plane owned and crewed by Omni International. After a 45 minute delay for paperwork, we were informed the flight time would be an hour and a half longer due to a broken piece of equipment. Sitting in seats that would not recline as we were backed up to a bulkhead (not same as Aer Lingus plane), we discovered the entertainment system was not properly working so the entire long flight was horrible. I had to laugh when the pilot, who said we were going to "Boston International Airport, " (who has ever called that), said the best part of this trip was passing over scenic Greenland.

After being away from home for three weeks I wanted to be sure we'd be soon at Logan International. My sister-in-law, who flew to Boston the day before, found her dietary requests were not honored and she, on a low-sodium diet, was given a ham sandwich to fill her need. We paid for an Aer Lingus flight and feel quite honestly, the airline should make up the switch to the many passengers who had to suffer along with us. I learned the airline had chartered off the Shannon route to Omni at a great savings to the company. Flight attendants on Omni are paid much less than Aer Lingus attendants. I don't know the same about the other crew members. The decision by an airline to pull this on longtime customers certainly is doing nothing to boost tourism in Western Ireland and the use of Shannon Airport as anybody I know will switch to Dublin flights if this continues.

Initial complaint was in respect of duty free items purchased in US and transit through Dublin to UK being confiscated because Aer Lingus nowhere advises that passengers have to go through security again in Dublin and liquids are confiscated. Whilst this is security issue Aer Lingus should inform that this is the situation particularly as they make such appositive spin about transit in Dublin for North America connections. This issue however fades into insignificance with way they treat customer complaints, by far the worse I have come across. The complaint has to be on form on website not an email. The response is however by email to which you cannot reply! You have to repeat form process and start again.

I therefore contacted reservations by phone (only phone number available!), given email address to contact and then get another automated response to use "form on website" - i.e. back to beginning. The clear impression of their system is to process in a completely impersonal way a complaint and avoid any dialogue which would possibly lead to resolution. It is not that the staff are unhelpful or otherwise (you can't actually find out) it is the totally impersonal system which gives me the clearest message that they couldn't care less.

Aer Lingus Company Profile