2. Travel

Aer Lingus Reviews

Aer Lingus
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

Aer Lingus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

Original review: July 31, 2020

If you can avoid using Aer Lingus at all possible, please do so! I understand that they are struggling to accommodate everyone after COVID-19, but it is no longer the beginning phase of this pandemic. I have been given the runaround so many times between this company and Travelocity, both of which blame each other for miscommunications (CONSTANT LIES). I was told that because Aer Lingus did not my original flight, even though there was an international travel ban, I was not eligible for a refund. Instead they gave me travel credits. Okay fine, right? Not really.

I had to rebook my flight for next year by August 1st of this year or I wouldn't get anything returned. I rebooked yesterday and my new flight costs less than my original flights. Can I have that remaining extra refunded? No they say. Can I apply those credits to anything else (meals, baggage, excursions)? NO they say. So I'm essentially just losing $150 dollars...Aer Lingus and Travelocity are scam artists. Never again will I book through either of them.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I had a long planned flight to Italy in Mar 2020. Despite US travel guidance, Aer Lingus did not allow changes before I left, and once I was in Italy, and things were shut down in Italy, they refused rerouting, and instead offered only the ability to apply partial fare to a new ticket purchase. There were only a few days after the Mar 10 shutdown of flights (to Italy) where a reroute would have been feasible, and I wasted so much time getting the runaround from Aer Lingus (over about 7x calls) that I blew the window of opportunity to leave.

At one point they even wanted me to cross the border into Switzerland or Spain, but providing my own transportation, despite other carriers still flying from Rome to Dublin at the time. So now it's mid May, and I'm still in Italy. This is the Aer Lingus experience. Aer Lingus eventually offered a refund, but in terms of contract and EU rights, expect them to lie across the board. Also note that the Aer Lingus website didn't even mention COVID until about Mar 25 2020.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2020

If you can avoid booking through Aer Lingus, do so. Customer service is horrible. I liked the ability to put a deposit down on a flight. So we were slated to fly from San Francisco to Dublin on June 2nd, 2020. We were looking forward to the trip, then the COVID pandemic hit. At this point, we realized that our trip wasn't going to happen. I went to cancel the trip and realized that I DID miss the deadline by a couple of days for the deposit in early April, 2020. So there was no longer any reservation or confirmation number for my flight.

I realized that Aer Lingus's policy for deposits and cancelations was well specified. But I had hoped that due to the fact that travel worldwide had been impacted by the Pandemic they would be more understanding. So I sent in a request to see what they could do. Their responses were very cryptic and had very scant information. But I was told that it could take a few months.

Well it only took 1 month. But it was basically an email saying, "Well we told you about our deposit policy, so we're not giving you back anything.". That's it. No refund, no partial refund, no credit...just "EFF YOU, COVID BE DAMNED". Even if we had decided to take the flight...most of the UK (dunno about IE) has a 14 day quarantine. Just ridiculous, we wouldn't be able to have a decent trip. Not doing the Aer Lingus thing again. I understand there's a policy. But I figure that the level of service shines through in the communications and how they handle things during a crisis.

They're dead to me.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Terrible customer service. Despite corona virus shutting down our country/borders and cancelling all events Aer Lingus would not refund our booking. Shocking and appalling. Shame on this airline for not helping people during a global crisis and national emergency. Will Never fly Aer Lingus ever again.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have learned a lot about how Aer Lingus operates in the last week or so. They are generally a scam. Let me explain why I say this first.... Take a look at their voucher operation, they take money and make it nearly impossible for patrols to use the vouchers (there are published articles on their shenanigans with this topic). Now take a look at their recent "offer to book with peace of mind" to waive flight change fees if booked AFTER 3/6/2020. I'm sorry, what? So people who now know about the pandemic get to change their flights but those who booked early are punished. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy for more business, it was not done to help their current customers and to me is a slap in the face.

Now let me discuss my personal experience. Their business ethics have definitely crossed over the line into criminal behavior at this point with the global pandemic being declared. Absolutely refusing to change flights or issue refunds in the wake of borders closing, all schools in Ireland shutting down, preventing indoor gatherings greater than 100 people, and many business locking up IS criminal. The government of Ireland is forbidding groups greater than 100 to gather in indoor locations, yet this Airline refuses to abide by this packing hundreds of people into an aircraft.

Earlier today I called Aer Lingus to try to work something out. Even a small partial refund or at the very least refunding my seat selection and extra baggage fees would have been enough of a gesture to keep me cool. Instead I was told "absolutely not" and when I requested to speak with a supervisor I was told "no", in an extremely rude tone might I add. The woman began to speak over me preventing me from getting a word in, then abruptly hung up. Mind you, I know customer service so I did not swear, yell, or take a rude tone. I waited on hold for 3 hours to get to this point. My blood was ----boiling----.

Message to Aer Lingus: You are representing the Irish people and you are making them look bad. I know from personal experience this is NOT the case. Ireland is one of the most welcoming countries I have ever been to. Your customer base will surely shrink after this incident where you've shown your true colors. People WILL remember this, they will remember that you gave them two choices... 1) To fly and risk illness or quarantine to a country that is basically shut down, or 2) stay home and forfeit your entire fare, which in my case is $1,923.

It is all about the bottom line I suppose, but you have taken a very short sighted approach here. Refusing to bend in even the slightest way while the world is going through something never seen before will absolutely cost more in the long run than it would have to do the right thing from the beginning. It could very well lead to the end of your organization. You have made life-long enemies from a great number of people. I hope it was worth it.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I booked a flight in late January, 2020, well aware of the growing concern about the Coronavirus. We bought useless travel insurance from Allianz, and Aer Lingus has refused to offer any relief or voucher for future travel with them. They are offering that now, based on their website. The only useful advice Aer Lingus offered was to defraud the insurance company that I believe was somehow linked to them. My purpose for travel was my youngest son was scheduled to present at a scientific conference, and his company subsequently canceled all travel. I would never recommend that anyone book or fly with Aer Lingus I am about to turn 70, in the target group for the virus, my home state just declared an emergency, and yet Aer Lingus still expects me to travel? Retired and on fixed income

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I was flying from Frankfurt to Boston via Dublin on 1/7/2020 with flights EI0651 and EI0139. At the counter in Frankfurt I and about 20 other passengers were told by Aer Lingus staff that they would not check us in because ALL Aer Lingus flights that day from Dublin into the US were cancelled. They did not give an explanation as to why although later I was told that it was 'operational problems'. We were sent to a separate desk with generic airport booking employees unrelated to Aer Lingus for rebooking.

These airport people had to call the regular Aer Lingus hotlines in order to be able to rebook anyone, but these hotlines were busy for more than an hour, and the Aer Lingus people in those call center were only allowed to process 3 rebookings in a single call, drawing this whole process out unnecessarily. During this time the flight to Dublin had departed and the original Aer Lingus front desk people had disappeared. It took 3 hours until my rebooking was looked into, at which time most alternative transatlantic flight options for that day were gone. So were ALL the options with any of their partner airlines with which they allow free rebookings (of which there are few in the first place). So I was told to take a hotel and wait for a flight the next day. Because I had business appointments, I instead had to book a flight for the same day via British Airways via London on my own and had to pay over 2000EUR for that.

Most of that money I now have as a loss, but at least according to EU regulation Aer Lingus owes me a compensation of 600EUR which would at least pay for a part of it. And this is where Aer Lingus turns from a disorganized cheapo airline into a fraudster airline. In phone calls and mail communication they have now started to claim that the flight had not been cancelled it had only been delayed and they don't owe me compensation. I checked the flight history on Flightaware and saw that EI0139 on 1/7 did indeed fly (if flightaware's history is accurate). The reason for this mess up I can't fathom, but I would not exclude the possibility that this was a giant screw up within their organization.

There were already indications that very morning in Frankfurt that things were amiss when during the rebooking a lady going to Florida that had been told that she also had to rebook, was then told by the airport rebooking people that her flight showed up as still active on their screens, so she could have just taken it instead of being delayed by a day. But when her case was processed the plane to Dublin was already gone. I also would not exclude the possibility that Aer Lingus used this whole thing as an excuse to deal with an overbooking situation without having to tell their passengers about it. In any way, since they barred me from the flight, they owe me 600EUR regardless if the flight in the end would have been possible or not.

While I'll eventually get the 600EUR, as I have witnesses for the check-in situation and can go the legal route, the time and money wasted so far both with the situation during the trip and dealing with them in the aftermath is enormous. And greatest is the disappointment with Aer Lingus. I have flown with them a couple of times and from those experiences had thought them to be a half way solid airline. But the level of disorganization that they have shown that morning in Frankfurt dwarfs anything I have ever seen before in the airline industry and now trying to dodge the compensation determined by law indicates fraudulent practices towards their customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I came to Chicago for a very important meeting for the Thanksgiving weekend and my luggage was delayed. The meeting took place in Gainesville, GA. I had to leave Chicago the next day, November 27th, 2019. Due to the fact that my luggage was delayed I had to buy new clothing and all the necessary items needed that were in my luggage. This was a big inconvenience for me since the meeting I attended was 4 days long. I had to buy 6 extra outfits on top of toiletries.

The luggage arrived at the airport 2 days later. At that time I was already in Gainesville, GA. The delivery company had called me while I was in the meeting. I got out of the meeting and I spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to find one of the host's neighbors to receive the luggage at 10PM. This, as well, was a big inconvenience. I asked for a different timing for the next day, but I was denied. When I called the claims department to make a complaint about this incident I was told I should have called earlier. I came from Spain to Chicago for a meeting that took place in GA. My schedule was very tight. I called the claims department as soon as I was available to call.

At this point I am very disappointed how everything was handled. A luggage has to be with the passenger at all times. I understand that the luggage arrived 2 days later, but it was too late for me. I was out of town already without clothes and other necessities. The meeting was the highlight of my trip. The host's neighbor wakes up early. They can't be staying up to receive my luggage because the delivery company didn't want to accommodate the delivery for the next day. The neighbor wasn’t obligated to do this for me and if he hadn’t done it, the luggage could have been waited outside for a while. The agent from the Central Baggage Services has told me that I should have called earlier. I haven't traveled to the US to spend all my time on the phone, and I had to use the host's phone being in a different country.

I travel every year and I used airplanes before, but this was one of the worst experiences I had! During the flight I didn’t receive food as promised. I wasn’t speaking English, so nobody stopped by to ask me if I was hungry or not. Nobody from the personnel was speaking Spanish. How shameful! I asked for a refund and they sent me to the agency that sold me the ticket. The agency did nothing wrong. I had told the agency about this experience and they assured me that they won't use this airline again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The flight attendants were so rude. They were making long sighs when giving announcements, smashing into people when walking by, yelling at people to wake up (overnight flight) and tossing food at the people by the windows (3 to a side seating). Not to mention the constant complaining to everyone that the people who had to use the bathroom needed to learn to hold their bladders better. Most definitely not 100,000 welcome on that Irish airline. Plus the landing was terrible. Touched down hard and did a serpentine down the runway. Couldn't wait to get off.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Traveled internationally from Minnesota to Dublin and Frankfurt. The seats were very uncomfortable and I ended up in pain for the last 2 hours of our 6 hour flight into Dublin. I'm a small person, so it doesn't bother me too much, but the seats are very close together and there isn't much legroom. This airline seems to be in line with Spirit and Sun Country. The flight attendants seemed to be harried and rather understaffed for a full fight. They were perfectly polite, just seemed rather rushed all the time and that made for a less pleasant atmosphere. I'll consider taking other discount airline before I travel with them again.

Aer Lingus Company Information