2. Travel

Aer Lingus Reviews

Aer Lingus
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Aer Lingus Reviews

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I came to Chicago for a very important meeting for the Thanksgiving weekend and my luggage was delayed. The meeting took place in Gainesville, GA. I had to leave Chicago the next day, November 27th, 2019. Due to the fact that my luggage was delayed I had to buy new clothing and all the necessary items needed that were in my luggage. This was a big inconvenience for me since the meeting I attended was 4 days long. I had to buy 6 extra outfits on top of toiletries.

The luggage arrived at the airport 2 days later. At that time I was already in Gainesville, GA. The delivery company had called me while I was in the meeting. I got out of the meeting and I spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to find one of the host's neighbors to receive the luggage at 10PM. This, as well, was a big inconvenience. I asked for a different timing for the next day, but I was denied. When I called the claims department to make a complaint about this incident I was told I should have called earlier. I came from Spain to Chicago for a meeting that took place in GA. My schedule was very tight. I called the claims department as soon as I was available to call.

At this point I am very disappointed how everything was handled. A luggage has to be with the passenger at all times. I understand that the luggage arrived 2 days later, but it was too late for me. I was out of town already without clothes and other necessities. The meeting was the highlight of my trip. The host's neighbor wakes up early. They can't be staying up to receive my luggage because the delivery company didn't want to accommodate the delivery for the next day. The neighbor wasn’t obligated to do this for me and if he hadn’t done it, the luggage could have been waited outside for a while. The agent from the Central Baggage Services has told me that I should have called earlier. I haven't traveled to the US to spend all my time on the phone, and I had to use the host's phone being in a different country.

I travel every year and I used airplanes before, but this was one of the worst experiences I had! During the flight I didn’t receive food as promised. I wasn’t speaking English, so nobody stopped by to ask me if I was hungry or not. Nobody from the personnel was speaking Spanish. How shameful! I asked for a refund and they sent me to the agency that sold me the ticket. The agency did nothing wrong. I had told the agency about this experience and they assured me that they won't use this airline again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The flight attendants were so rude. They were making long sighs when giving announcements, smashing into people when walking by, yelling at people to wake up (overnight flight) and tossing food at the people by the windows (3 to a side seating). Not to mention the constant complaining to everyone that the people who had to use the bathroom needed to learn to hold their bladders better. Most definitely not 100,000 welcome on that Irish airline. Plus the landing was terrible. Touched down hard and did a serpentine down the runway. Couldn't wait to get off.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Traveled internationally from Minnesota to Dublin and Frankfurt. The seats were very uncomfortable and I ended up in pain for the last 2 hours of our 6 hour flight into Dublin. I'm a small person, so it doesn't bother me too much, but the seats are very close together and there isn't much legroom. This airline seems to be in line with Spirit and Sun Country. The flight attendants seemed to be harried and rather understaffed for a full fight. They were perfectly polite, just seemed rather rushed all the time and that made for a less pleasant atmosphere. I'll consider taking other discount airline before I travel with them again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Luggage was lost for three days. When I received the suitcase it was destroyed. Wheels were broken off, one side of luggage was broken with a piece missing. Customer service was rude. I was told to get verification that is was not repairable as well as supply an original receipt for the luggage. You would have to be a magician to repair this and not sure who keeps receipt for 6 month old luggage. They make a claim impossible. They are the absolute worst airline I have ever flown.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

The good part about my Aer Lingus flight is that I found an airline that flies from BHX to USA (JFK), of course through Shannon (Ireland). When I landed in Shannon (transit) with the limited time I was there, I found the people to be very welcoming including the entry verification (immigration) desk, which is very unusual in most other countries. I liked everyone who seemed very helpful out of their way.

Not so good part: Aircrafts seemed very old with faded seats, seat back pockets coming off, which is strange for an international flight (SNN to JFK). Secondly, I saw other reviews on this blog and agree that some of the airline attendants seemed like they didn't want to be in that job and seemed just obligated with no demonstrable customer service. Of course one of the 4 seemed to be nice so I don't want to generalize. Either they are too short handed or it's just a coincidence for my only trip on Aer Lingus. I'm not sure if I will choose this airline but would love to go visit beautiful Ireland for a vacation especially for the people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Aer Lingus (AL) sold me domestic and international flights to go from Nashville to Shannon, IR and back. The US domestic travel was to be with Jet Blue. AL did not give me a seat assignment for the Jet Blue flight and when I called Jet Blue they told me there were not more seats in the class of service I bought via AL and I would have to pay more. When I contacted AL they told me that was something I would have to work out with Jet Blue. When I tried to cancel my domestic travel with Aer Lingus they told me it would require a $150 change fee (each way!). When I canceled my outbound Jet Blue flight (and paid the $150), I then received an updated receipt and discovered they charged me $150 and didn't refund any of the cost of the flight I canceled. So, they got $150 more from me for even less service which I find offensive at least and possibly criminal.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Terrible! Absolutely terrible! Do not fly this airline. They're extremely rude, spoke down to both my wife and I, did nothing to fix the fact they were late upon arrival which made me miss my connection flight so I had to pay out of pocket crazy amount of money for a hotel and taxis. The manager at the Newark airport is an absolute ** and has no idea how to perform good guest experience. And all you get when you try to contact their customer is service is "we're very sorry." That does nothing for me and my scenario. Do yourself a favor and fly any other airline you can no matter how much more it costs, I promise you'll be better off. These guys are the absolute worst airline I've ever flown with.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

We flew back from LA to Dublin using Aer Lingus. All started well with nice staff and a better plane that what we flew out in. When we got to Dublin we had a connecting flight to Gatwick. My partner was asked to put her carry on bag in the hold due to lack of space in the overhead compartments. When we got to Gatwick and waited for our bags (approx 1 hour after my partners bag was put in the hold) they managed to lose this bag which had medication in it and they lost my suitcase.

My suitcase was checked in with my partners as LA airport. My suitcase had various presents in it and mementos we bought on holiday. The guy operating the luggage conveyor was helpful and got us in touch with a lost baggage operative who told us we would expect an email in the next 24 hours (which I have never received). The lost baggage operative also mentioned that this happens all of the time. (How hard can it be to put a bag in a plane hold and drop it off at the other end with the passengers?) My partners carry on bag was delivered the next day but my suitcase is still missing and Aer Lingus seem to give zero **.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Aer Lingus have lost my checked baggage and I can’t get an answer as to where it might be! I’m not hopeful I will have it returned. The website tracker doesn’t seem to have been updated at all and no one will answer me on Twitter or Facebook. How difficult can it be to find out where it was last scanned! I’m definitely not flying with them again!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

On a flight from Harford CT to Edinburgh, Scotland, with a short stopover in Dublin to change to a smaller plane, Aer Lingus removed several bags from the flight including own. At baggage claim in Edinburgh, four customers lost bags on this flight. At the claim office there, I was informed that this happens every day, has been home on for 3 years with Aer Lingus and is getting worse, furthermore that they don't scan their bags and can't locate them once in the Aer Lingus system. I called AL daily and was given false reassuring information aimed at stringing me along.

Eventually, 7 days later, my bags were delivered to my hotel in Edinburgh having been routed through London because every flight from Dublin to Edinburgh was overweight. Although AL has known about this problem for three years, their customer is never informed in advance that they run a fair chance of losing their bags for an extended time. As a final insult, AL delayed my connecting flight back to Dublin without explanation resulting in our missing our connection back to Harford and spending the night in the airport. I'll NEVER fly Aer Lingus again.

Not sure about Aer Lingus?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Aer Lingus Company Information