1.12/5
Based on 129 reviews that contain star ratings

Aer Lingus Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

174 Aer Lingus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Missed a connection and was not given a reason. Grounded in Dublin for 24 hours with no one to help at airport. Was sent to a hotel and right away I tries calling about issues with lack to help with wheelchair request and missed connection... spent 1.5 hours on the phone and got no help... was told supervisor Mel would call me back. This never happened. Tried calling today, cannot get a live person on the phone. Submitted a request online and was told I would hear back within SIXTY days! Wow! Worst airline customer service I have ever received. Save your time and money and do not fly with Aer Lingus.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I was booked and confirmed on a flight from Edinburgh to Dublin at 11.45 am and they refused to allow me to board claiming I missed my flight and should have been on the 8.45 am flight. They had obviously overbooked all their flights (the steward even said that). I had the confirmed ticket and everything. As a result I missed my connecting flight back to Australia! No one assisted me at Aer Lingus or offered any support. I had to purchase another ticket back to Australia costing me 700 pounds! NEVER EVER GO ON THIS AIRLINE!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Aer Lingus canceled my flight (I am business class customer) and said there would be no compensation (eg no hotel coverage despite the fact they canceled the flight) and insultingly said they will accommodate me by changing the day of the flight! Of course you must do that! Appalling. I will start finding other carriers who are more respectful and responsible.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I booked my flight from the US into Scotland and out of England 8 months in advance. I recently received an email stating they changed my itinerary because they no longer serve the departing airport. The change has my flight into Dublin arriving at one time and my departing flight leaving exactly FIVE MINUTES later. They have practically guaranteed that I will miss my connecting flight and that my luggage will be sent to who knows where. They are completely refusing to change this without charging me $150 and even more so to issue me a full refund. How can they get away with making changes that make travel nearly impossible yet insist that I pay to fix what they have done?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We arrived in SFO on flight 147 on 09/29/18 and realized that same day we had left a wallet with passport, drivers license, credit cards and $400.00 in cash in it on the floor of seat 22e. As soon as we realized what we'd done we tried every avenue available; we called security at SFO, the SFPD, baggage department, the lost and found at SFO and Dublin, we also filed a report with SFPD. We eventually called their NY number and that was a complete dead end. This airline does not care, nor did they have the process available to file a report. I'm sure some cleaner at SFO stole the money and threw out the rest.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

After a smooth, on time boarding the captain tells us we are being delayed because the flight had to wait for a crew from another flight. I had seen the crew going to the plane long before boarding started. We sat in the plane on the tarmac for over an hour and did not make up any time during the flight. We had a connecting flight out of Chicago and knew we would be running out of time to make it from terminal 5 to terminal 1, get our boarding passes, go through security and get to our gate in time. When we explained to one of the crew, he told us they had over 80 passengers making connecting flights and when we disembarked there would be Aer Lingus associates with our boarding passes and to help us get to our flights on time.

That was a total lie, there was no one there to help. The staff at the gate looked at us with blank stares when we asked for help. They pointed toward the general direction to get to the tram and said it would take only 4 minutes to get to the other terminal. We were on our own in a huge airport that we did not know. We are 64 and 65 years old and had to run from one thing to the next and barely made our flight. NO customer service. NO help. BUT why the lies? WHY tell us they had to wait for a crew, lie number 1. WHY tell us there would be help when there was not. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Aer Lingus Vacation Store is operated by Global Consolidated Services USA Inc. Not Aer Lingus. We booked in May. We didn't hear anything until 14 days before our trip. They changed our hotels, booked us with another company. and and we ended up paying more than had we booked the tour and flights ourselves. Here's what I sent to the "support" email:

In May, we booked our second honeymoon with you. It was a bus tour in Scotland, with airfare. We didn't make this choice lightly, we looked at several other companies, but Aer Lingus had the combination of hotels and itinerary that we wanted. We paid in full. We didn't hear from you again, except when you asked us to give you more money for travel insurance.

After 4 months of no communication, it got close to our travel dates and we tried to put our personal data into the flight website. It failed, so I called once and hung up after waiting for a representative for more than 30 minutes. I called another time, and after 20 minutes was told we needed a ticket number instead of a booking number. Then my husband called three times stayed on hold for an average of 20 minutes each time, and was told we didn't have seats. Finally he paid a fee to get seats. That was three weeks before our vacation. Still nothing from you.

Two weeks before our vacation, on September 7th, you delivered our travel documents via a fuzzy PDF in email. At that time, we found out you didn't put us in the hotels that were advertised when we booked. In addition, we were not booked through Aer Lingus, but a lower priced tour company with lower priced hotels for the first three days of the tour.

Now that we are on the tour, I am very unhappy. Not only did we not get the hotels that were advertised when we paid up front, but we've been given rooms with twin beds. When I called the Aer Lingus support number, I got your third-party provider. After twenty minutes, she suggested that write this email. I've now been on hold for more than 60 minutes calling from a foreign country and she keeps trying to get me off the phone so I am someone else's problem, but you have NO customer service email and the only thing I can do is stay on the line until I get to speak to someone.

I don't know how to talk to an actual Aer Lingus employee who works in customer service. And apparently, neither does the third party provider you have staffing the phone lines or I wouldn't have had time to write this email while I've been on hold. She'd told me to talk to voice mail, to write an email, to do anything but make it her problem. That is your brand right now. The woman who keeps trying to get me off the phone. Assistance is not around the corner. I am not important to you. Someone from your staff will not be with me momentarily. This is not a one-time problem. This is a systemic problem and you are failing to meet my needs. Please respond to me ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Please do not even think about using this airline! I am a handicap person, with limited walking ability. After waiting in line for over an hour with no help in sight at check in, I was told that she refused to order me a wheelchair! Not only did I pay over $4,000 to Fly my family, but also an extra $135 to have my husband’s guitar on the plane. Never has this happened before to us! Rude agents!! No help at all!! And I am sitting in the last row, handicapped to have to walk 36 rows to the door.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I am writing you about a recent negative experience while traveling Aer Lingus. The misfortune was not caused by weather or mechanical difficulties. It was created solely by inefficiency, and exacerbated by further inefficiency and a pervasive, uncaring system. On September 7, 2018, 4 of us on Booking ID ** flew Aer Lingus 3672 direct non-stop from Shannon to Edinburgh. We checked in at 2 hours before departure.

Upon our arrival, 3 or our 6 bags, including our 2 golf bags, did not arrive. We notified Menzies, who handles your lost baggage, and gave him our address for the next 5 nights, in Dornoch, Scotland. The Menzies agent advised us there were no more flights from Shannon that day and gave us our Reference Number **. We immediately began monitoring the bag tracker website, and observed that at least 2 of the bags were in Dublin, and would arrive in Edinburgh that same night, September 7.

The next evening, September 8, we received our only call from Aer Lingus, advising us that our bags would (now) route from Dublin to London to Edinburgh, arriving at 2130. The bag tracker site verified this information for 2 of the bags, although one bag still showed it had arrived Shannon the previous night. The Aer Lingus representative informed us the bags would go out for delivery between 0700 and 0900 the next morning, September 9th. Hence, we now expected the bags that afternoon or evening.

A now 3rd Third Party, a “THS Couriers” informed, on their tracking site, that 2 of the bags had been received at the Edinburgh depot mid-day September 9th, and one bag had been received late morning. Later, when there had been no change in the baggage tracker site, I emailed THS Couriers. That evening I received a reply that since our location was over 80 miles from Edinburgh, our bags would go on an overnight service the following night, September 10, for delivery September 11th. This was totally unacceptable to us, as we had stated the Dornoch address upon arrival. We were being punished for someone else’s multiple mistakes, including not positioning the bags to a closer airport like Inverness. Incredibly there is no way to contact THS Couriers via voice. Their listed phone number is only a recording.

On September 10th, THS Couriers called us in response to our frantic email, and verified we would receive our bags the next day, sometime on September 11th. Later that day, when returning to cell phone range, I noticed a call had been missed. Attempting to return the call went to the same THS Couriers recording with no way to contact a representative. Within the hour I emailed THS enquiring why they had called. No one responded.

The next morning, I noticed the THS site still showed the same message from 3 days prior; ie, the bags were at the Edinburgh depot. I emailed again, and the response was that THS had tried to call us, but since we didn’t answer, the bags were not sent. I emailed back stating the exact time the previous day we had verified delivery via voice and the multiple emails sent. A THS agent called and told me that I had spoken to a different department at THS, and now the bags would not be sent till the next day, the day we were leaving from Inverness. Apparently THS doesn’t even communicate with themselves. In the end, we drove to the Inverness airport ourselves and picked up our three 6-day missing bags just before our flight. And the THS tracking site was never updated to show this in advance, causing further stress and confusion.

I do not want to be contacted. I am not asking for compensation, although there was monetary loss in the large rental van we never needed to use (no golf clubs or luggage); and loss of golf at the courses we had booked. We had one chance to play golf in Scotland, and this was it. I am too old to return. We spent a large part of our visit trying to contact, and contacting, Aer Lingus, Menzies, THS Couriers, Dalcross, and more.

The purpose of this is to inform you that I will use every social media site at my disposal to inform the general public of what an uncaring, inefficient, and possibly criminal airline Aer Lingus is. I add criminal, as I have reviewed several online complaints of people who have booked Aer Lingus flights, had the flight cancel, received no help from Aer Lingus, and incredibly, cannot get a refund, even months later. Thank you for your understanding as I feel I have an obligation to try to prevent others from something that should never have happened. This wasn’t weather. This wasn’t a mechanical malfunction. This is a company that fails to do the right thing.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

If you want to contact a "real" person in this airline, forget it!!! We have been trying to contact them since Sunday (1 Hr on hold). On Monday we called three times and each time we were on hold for over 30 mins. On Wednesday we are now up to 45 minutes. They won't allow seat selection on their website because the ticket was purchased through a travel agency. When contacted the travel agency, they report, the airline won't allow them to do that for us and we need to call the airline directly. Calling them to no avail and tired of their Irish tune while waiting!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Flew from Dublin to Newark and they lost one of my two bags. There was also 30 other people whose bags were missing. After 24 hrs still no idea where my bag is nor do they seem to care. This company is the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Do not book with this company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Aer Lingus agents in Dublin (those directing the queues and those at the check-in counter) totally ignored us and caused us to miss the check-in window by less than a minute, which cost me almost $1,000 (rebooking, hotels etc) - a nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Stuck at the counter of Aer Lingus. Their disregard did sting us. Said it was their right to overbook the flight. So why couldn’t they just ring us? 3 kids in a hotel room alone since Aer Lingus won’t pick up a phone to let us know our flight’s a no go. Ah - but the hotel is in the profit zone. Aer Lingus’ empathy is non-existent. Though we tried to remain persistent they don’t really care. Want us out of their hair but the lines and callousness are consistent. 3 kids are having a meltdown because we can’t get out of town. Aer Lingus rhymes with "They stink us" says 9 year old Devin with a frown.

Obviously had a lot of time standing in lines to write this. When we told them we were shocked by how callous they were about the inconvenience after buying 6 full fare tickets months in advance, the staff member told us truthfully that bumping people is so mundane for them that they often become complacent, not realizing the hardship this is for a family. Airlines in the past have asked for volunteers - what happened to that practice? When I woke up my kids early in the morning to start a second day of travel, I reminded them that it was Aer Lingus' fault so they’ve lost some current as well as future customers - not that they care.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was supposed to be refunded for a flight I purchase directly on Aer Lingus' website but was charged twice for the same booking. After spending over an hour and a half on hold between three calls made to Aer Lingus' customer service within a day, I was told conflicting things about how to receive refunds for the charges made on my account. A day and a half later and I'm still not fully refunded, plus I've wasted a good portion of my morning waiting on hold only to talk to impolite spokespeople from the airline.

Original review: July 18, 2018

June 20th I arrived in Paris and upon checking the carousel one of my bags was missing. I filed a claim to Aer Lingus, they called me on June 21st that my luggage arrived at the airport and that it would be delivered to my hotel. On the 24th I went to the airport and spoke with the lady at the counter and she told me my luggage was sent with Air-France and that they were waiting for it to be transferred. I returned to the U.S. on July 3rd and contacted them because my luggage still hadn't arrived. On July the 5th when nobody tried to contact me I called them and they told me that I needed to fill out another form and that they were not able to help me.

On Sunday July 15th after several calls they told me my luggage had arrived to Indianapolis airport and that they would deliver my luggage. The next day I called again after my luggage did not arrive. They told me it was at the airport, I went there and the lady at the desk told me that my luggage had not arrived. I called again on July 17th and they told me that my luggage was at the airport, told them it wasn't true because I went to the airport myself and the luggage was not there. 27 days have past and I still don't have my luggage. This airline has never taking me or my lost luggage seriously. I have always had to call them as they never tried to contact me. Every time I have called nobody is there to help me. I left a message and they never returned the call, worst experience with Aer Lingus.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Abandoned at Burgas airport on 26th June 2018 - Was due to travel back to Dublin on 26th at 9.25 p.m. Our flight was cancelled by Aer Lingus at 12 mid approx. We were told we would be given hotel accommodation but all we got was a sandwich. Since I got home on 27th June at 5p.m. I have been trying to contact Aer Lingus to claim compensation from my travel insurance but all I get is an acknowledgment that they will reply in 60 working days... When I query they say they will give an update very shortly. This has been going on for 19 days now. Is there any regulation in this country?

Original review: July 1, 2018

I booked a flight for my HONEYMOON back in December. When I went to go through my itinerary for my entire trip one last time my flight was CANCELED!!! I received no notice of this. I had already been charged and my fiancé and I spent over 10 HOURS on hold starting Friday afternoon and did not get in touch with someone until Sunday morning who said no one could help us over the phone it had to be done through email! At this point we were in a straight panic and had to rebook. So now we have paid TWICE for our honeymoon and frankly are too frustrated to even be excited about going anymore.

Still have not received any response from numerous emails sent and numerous claims submitted through their website. This is our first time to Europe and our first time flying with Aer Lingus so I booked directly with Aer Lingus thinking that would put in the most secure position for my honeymoon travel plans but now am starting all over and getting double charged!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I fly 3+ times a year internationally and this was my first time flying Aer Lingus. The transatlantic flight from Seattle to Dublin was delayed, awfully dirty and the seats wouldn't recline. The staff was impolite. The entertainment options were extremely limited and they did not have any working headphones. The domestic flight from Dublin to Birmingham was worse; it was delayed and the management was a mess. As I was getting through security, the airline updated the monitors that the flight had left, whereas they hadn't even started boarding. They also lost and damaged my luggage and were always inaccessible whenever I reached out. This flight was cheap and the food (on the transatlantic carrier only) was good but the pros are not worth the hassle. I would recommend finding a better airline. Their organization is a mess and they are unreliable. If you do decide to fly through them, get travel insurance and cover your bases.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have now made two attempts in writing to Aer Lingus to get a refund on a cancelled flight in early March 2018. The first one I completed their online complaints form never even received an acknowledgment. The second time I sent a letter by recorded delivery on 1 May still no acknowledgment. It's a disgrace the way they treat customers.

I am fully entitled to a refund as my flight was cancelled due to snow and the closure of Dublin airport on Fri 2 March 2018 and they have stated on their website passengers wishing to rebook can do so free of charge. However there was a glitch on their website and passengers were charged for rebooking. I am seeking my refund of 150.09 Euro. To date no one has come back to me, their customer experience is a lot to be desired. I wouldn't attempt to call them as I have always found the staff unhelpful and sometimes rude. WAKE UP AER LINGUS AND START LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!

Original review: May 13, 2018

If you find this before booking your trip, DO NOT BOOK ON AER LINGUS, they should be considered a SCAM. 7 attempts to call customer service to change a reservation all resulted in being hung up on! Since part of my flight was on United, I tried getting help through United. The United agent deserves a GOLD STAR for trying to help me. She called Aer Lingus and was HUNG UP ON EVEN BEFORE TALKING to an agent. If Aer Lingus reads this: YOU GUYS ARE AWFUL. Shut down and stop stealing consumers money!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Aer Lingus I found to be elusive, rude and without honor. Nearly impossible to find a telephone number that is capable of reaching a real person, excessive, in excess of 30 minute, time on hold and surly female agent trying to pass the buck to avoid saying they do not refund any cancellations. More to say but if you're on this site you've already experienced "Irish Hospitality" at its worst. Use 1 800 474-7424 or 1-800 223-6537 to reach what passes for life.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Thanks for denying us (and 7+ others) the boarding passes we paid for (kiosks don’t work for Aer Lingus), forcing us to buy new tickets which cost over double our original ticket price, and gifting us with 10 hours in queue lines over a 2 day period to get this “solution” accomplished. After I made a formal complaint I love the automated reply back. Top notch customer service. Logic for denying our passes was we were “late” even though we arrived to airport over 2 hours early. Apparently it’s our fault the kiosks don’t work and Aer Lingus ticketing operates understaffed rendering a check in line of an hour just to get boarding passes printed (or in our case to be told they wouldn’t print them and be redirected to a 3+ hour line to buy new tickets). Thanks!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I went from JFK to Shannon Ireland in 2017. Their plane was very dirty, not clean and had a sad look. Staff was rude. When we landing to Shannon they took a nose dive. It was like your elevator drop. Never had this happen before on a flight. I tried to tell the Aer Lingus at desk in airport. She just did not care. She looked like she was bored and was killing time. I will never fly Aer Lingus again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I booked a flight with Aer Lingus on Expedia, then had an important question that only Aer Lingus could answer. I called their customer service line four times and waited on hold for half an hour or more each time without ever getting through. I needed to get a response within 24 hours of booking, and could not reach them. I finally gave up, cancelled my flight, and booked with British Airways instead. (Expedia was great about this, by the way.) I found the Aer Lingus website to be poor as well. These are problems this airline really needs to solve.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Booked flights with Aer Lingus months ago. Aer Lingus cancelled flights without advising us leaving us an 11 hour layover and totally ruining our hotel and car rental bookings. They’ve given us no options but to cancel or drive 4 hours to another airport or fly in a day early and pay for our hotel while we wait for a flight.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Flight from Dublin Boston 5 November 2017 - The flight was cancelled and we were given no reason. The alternative offered was a flight to NYC then GROUND TRANSPORTATION to Boston. The staff seemed to know nothing. The result of all this is that we arrived at Boston Logan at 2:45am 6 Nov instead of 7:30pm 5 Nov. A lot of passengers had no luggage at NYC. Aer Lingus refused to pay for hotel. All transport from Logan had finished when we arrived. It was VERY costly to get to Rhode Island. It was truly awful. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

On July 26, 2017, I flew Aer Lingus from Munich, transferred in Dublin, and continued to LAX. My luggage never made it. There were about 20 people on my flight also missing their luggage. After an hour, a clerk filed reports for us and said our luggage would be delivered within 24 hours. It's been over 6 WEEKS and still no luggage. I understand that happens (although not sure why in these days of technology) but the worst part is that Aer Lingus IGNORES MY NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS AND EMAILS! HELP! When I call their corporate office, I'm on hold for 20 minutes, repeat my story each time, and am told someone will call me back in 48 hours. Never happens. Help! I don't know what else to do.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

HISTORY: PAYMENT 1: Purchase date 27.08.2016: Transaction date 30/31.08.2016 recorded on my master card statement 48: I originally reserved and booked two seats 3A and 3B for flight **. 07:10 Outbound 01/03/2017 to Malaga and seats 3A and 3B for the 12:20 pm inbound to Dublin. My record shows I paid 47.96 Euro's @ 87.949 = £42.18 including transaction charge of £1.12. PAYMENT 2: On the 13.01.2017, through Aer Lingus "Manage your Booking" I upgraded my reserve seats to "Premium Class" seats 4H and 4K. My MasterCard statement 52 recorded a further charge of £103.58 in addition to the previous £42.18 I had already paid.

On the 14/04/2017, Aer Lingus credited my Master Card, statement 55 with a risible £20.36 for the cancelled seats 4H AND 4K on the 29/03/2017. This sum is half the price paid for the original reservation of seats 3A and 3B. It does not take into consideration the upgrade price paid of an extra £103;58. It is this money that I am claiming a refund since 30/03/2017. Every enquiry is met with yet another CASE NUMBER, So far these are the references or case numbers I have been given. 30/03/2017 Ref: **. 30/03/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 08/06/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 22/06/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 22/06/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 26/07/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **.

The reason I have claimed a refund was because Premium seats 4H and 4K were not available as there had been a change in aircraft. I was allocated seats by the check-in-clerk without the priority boarding I had initially had with my reserved seats. My claim has become a saga. Please assist me in the matter of refunding the second payment of £103.58. electronic ref: ** and **. I would be truly sincerely grateful.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I flew back home from Dublin Airport. We checked one bag and when we got to O'hare the bag didn't show up. We filed a "delayed" baggage claim. We were told it was an airport software glitch and they were hiring more employees to deal with all the "delayed" baggage. That was on July 6th, 2017 and it's now Aug. 3rd, 2017! I've left over 20 emails to Aer Lingus and not ONE has been responded to. I spent 45 minutes on hold and spoke with a supervisor who said they were doing everything they could to tend to the backlog. That phone call cost me $75.00! Every link on their website takes you back to delayed baggage. I can't even find a claim form. I've left numerous messages on the USA phone lines provided and again haven't received one call back. I even emailed Dublin Airport and miraculously I received a response from them giving me Aer Lingus's contact information!

I'm at a loss of what to do. My entire wardrobe was in there. I'm not overstating that fact. All my work skirts, shirts, undies, shoes as well as several gifts purchased in Ireland. Sadly, my daughter's keepsake from her father was in there! It was something he gave her before he passed away when she was 2 1/2 yrs old! I don't know where to turn now and appreciate any suggestions.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Booked two tickets from D.C. to Dublin using their US partner JetBlue. Due to "servicing" the plane, our flight was over an hour late departing, so we missed our connecting flight, even though Aer Lingus knew there were three people connecting from our flight And we could see the plane sitting in a queue. Aer Lingus couldn't manage to get us on a flight until almost 24 hours later, causing us to miss one entire day of our vacation. There was no help getting a hotel, a refusal to offer any amount of compensation in the form of an Aer Lingus voucher for our lost vacation time and to add insult to injury, the manager of the airline at Boston refused to meet with us. I will never buy another Aer Lingus anything again.

Aer Lingus Company Information