Aer Lingus

Aer Lingus Reviews

3.1/5 (627 ratings)

About Aer Lingus Reviews

Aer Lingus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Online check-in offered only payable seats, with no hint that a non-payable seat is available at check-in at the airport at time of flight. My inexperienced son thought he had to reserve a seat online, and paid the $50 (out of his $1000 monthly income). An experienced person who questions this would have forgone the online check-in, knowing that he had already paid for a ticket, and standing rooms don't yet exist in a plane. At flight time at the airport, we asked at for reimbursement of the $50 in exchange for any seat of Aer Lingus' choice. Rejected.

Flight was cancelled due to technical problem of the plane (happens). Staff was not sized to cope with the workload for re-booking, hotel, and other information for all the flight's passengers. Over one hour in the queue. Fortunately, a motivated and professional employee of Aer Lingus helped book a new flight (for next day), during exchange via Whatsapp.

The next day, at baggage drop, the lady at the counter tried to force my son to check-in one of his two hand-carried bags, at additional costs (despite him being officially granted two bags). Her statement: "not valid today", but not giving evidence. The solution: went to another counter, with a man having no issues with two hand-carried bags.

After the whole, I submitted a cost reimbursement for my son's taxi back home and bus to airport next day. And request for the justified $600 compensation for the flight being cancelled. The first reply from customer service: not eligible because flight was DELAYED, and delay not long enough for compensation. Of course, the flight was CANCELLED, and he had to wait 24h for the next plane. Compensation applies according to European Law.

I replied to this initial rejection. Now waiting. Altogether, way too much hassle. Service essentially unprofessional, and depends apparently on the mood of individuals at Aer Lingus. The only positive experience was the person on the other end of the Whatsapp-based exchange who was very efficient in finding a new flight for my son.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Our flight to Dublin from Toronto arrived over an hour late. We missed our bus reservations to Belfast and could not book new tickets nor could we get a refund from the bus company. We had to wait until over two hours for seats to become available with a different bus company. Aer Lingus staff advised how to get a refund for the new tickets and gave us the e mail address of Customer Service and the information they needed to cover the compensation they advised we were entitled to. Our request was sent in September 2022. No reply to date....of any kind from Aer Lingus.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

Be very careful when dealing with Aer Lingus over baggage claims. My wife and I each filled out missing baggage forms after our flight from SFO via Dublin to Edinburgh landed. I finally heard back from them and was given a baggage locator number. Thus began a 4+ month (and ongoing) journey to be properly compensated for our lost luggage. We were asked for a list of contents, then we were asked for the prices of the contents, then we were asked for receipts for all of the contents(!), and finally we were asked for bank statements(?). Each step took approximately two weeks before the next one arrived. Each time they asked us to continue supporting them.

They finally sent a check for SOME of our incidental charges, but then came the kicker. They agreed they owed us for the lost luggage and said they would send approx. $1250 (this plus the incidentals payment totaled what they said was their obligation per the Montreal Convention). What they did not recognized was that the Convention set that amount PER PERSON. When I complained, Aer Lingus said since we only had one claim report. It was only considered as a one person event. They knew all along it was two people and they started the entire process by combining our two initial reports into one reference number event.

Six different employees responded to me from the beginning — I have their names — and all of them knew they were dealing with two people, but none of them informed us of the potential problem. They were all complicit in trying to defraud us but I will not give up. Even if they paid us what they really owed (per the Convention) we would still be out about $3000. Two full suitcases and my recently purchased full set of golf clubs. Aer Lingus is deliberately slow. They try to wear you out by continually pushing things down the road — asking for just a piece of what they wanted at a time. Don't be fooled. This airline does not care about their customers. They do not deserve your business.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Aer Lingus staff at Birmingham UK Airport put me on my delayed plane to Dublin knowing it was arriving late, thereby missing my connection to Seattle. Side note… passport control at Dublin airport closes at 1600. Birmingham staff knew I was flying to Seattle and therefore knew I’d be stranded overnight in Dublin.

I missed my connection, but that was really a moot point as even if I got there earlier, passport control shut and I could not make the connection anyway. there was not a single Aer Lingus personnel inside the airport willing to help. I had to go back out of the airport to the check-in desk to get ‘help’.

The helpdesk said I was to stop abusing them…. The abuse was me asking why they would put me on a plane knowing there would be no way I could get ANY connecting flight to ANYWHERE in America after 1600. I ended up further away 24 hours later than I had started 24 hours earlier.! I am allegedly booked on a plane that will get me in 24 hours later. We shall see.. AerLingus could not pay me to fly on their planes ever again. Absolutely hands down without any doubt the worst service I’ve ever received my life.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

I requested my meal over the over 3 weeks before departure - confirmation of my request was received through email. Steward told me during the flight that there they never receive a request for special meal. I flown twice with Aer Lingus and had the same issue both times. The first time wasn't a big deal since they had a spare meal which was given to me. I won't be flying with this airline again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

They sell a "get off the plane" first product, yet there is no priority boarding for this ticket. I spent an extra 25% to get these seats because I thought it would provide priority boarding in order to ensure I could get my carry-on bag on the plane. They board the planes first with business class, then with the rear 25 rows, and then its a free for all for the rest. No distinguishment between whether you paid for a premium seat or not! Very stressful.

The premium seat I had on the ride home had a metal box blocking half of the area under the seat in front, so I paid premium for a seat that I did not even have normal leg room under. Very upsetting. They are very inconsiderate after meals with picking up rubbish. I have flown other major airlines frequently to Europe who ensure there is plenty of attention to customers after meails, but on both flights to and from Europe they made us sit with our meal rubbish for an hour +, and did not even walk by to make sure they could help us be more comfortable and clear out the trash. It was awful.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

This airline is complete scam, the agents have no idea what they are talking about> Due to unforeseen family situation we had to change our flight to another destination. I have gotten so many different answers and finally the agent that made change my flight put last years date!! How could the system allow you to book a flight in the past, it has been 7 days that I'm waiting for supervisor to call me and nothing. They also charged us a lot more to make the new booking. What I see online is a lot cheaper but they said their prices in call center is high and of course I'm unable to make change online. The agents are so rude and I hate calling with them...I hope I never have to fly with them again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

We originally had flights booked for Nov 10th which we had booked well in advance and had made sure to select seats together due to it being a 9+ hour flight. The flight got cancelled and so we got moved to a different flight on Nov 12th. Aer Lingus is refusing to seat us together for the flight unless we pay for seat upgrades despite them A. Cancelling our original flight and B. The flight they moved us to being cheaper than our original flight. We have spoken to 5 separate support agents and nobody has helped us. We have been given a plethora of excuses with some of them actually contradicting each other.

The fact remains that the seating map clearly shows a lot of open seats and yet Aer Lingus flat out refuses to seat myself and my wife together for a 9+ hour flight after cancelling our original flight and moving us to another flight 48 hours later. We also have been offered no sort of compensation for the original flight being cancelled and our journey being delayed 48 hours.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

Aer Lingus Disaster started on the 14 Aug traveling Manchester to LA via Dublin. All started 1 check out person on desk for 2 Ireland bound flights not ideal start. 90 mins wait then the incoming flight which was delayed for 2 hours giving us very little time to connect our trans Atlantic flight from Dublin. The cabin crew informed us that the flight to LA was aware of incoming flight delay from Manchester and they were going to wait once arrived and rushed through immigration. We got to the desk and the flight had left. We was then took to ticket office where we were told that we would be looked after, not the case when we got to the desk the lady said where have we been the plane wasn't late.

After looking at her computer she changed her attitude and apologized and gave us option to fly New York the day after and then a connecting flight to LA or fly that evening to Paris and a direct flight to LA the next morning which we chose. We were told we would be put in the Holiday Inn in Paris. We would be fed dinner and breakfast and all transfers. We were met by lady on arrival at Paris Charles D Gaul at 10pm from an agency called Alyzia who represents Aer Lingus. She walked us to transfer pick up and told we were going to stay at the Marriott. Her words were it's a better hotel so we waited and waited. No transport came. It was midnight where we decided to get taxi, pay for it ourselves, got overcharged 29 euros for 5/6 mins drive. On arrival at hotel we were told there was no booking in our name and could not do anything for us so we got another taxi to Holiday Express. Again 5 mins drive, 28 euros, more bad news. No named booking there.

They must have felt sorry for us. Made a phone call and found our booking at the Holiday Inn so we got a taxi again 5 mins drive 25 euros. I was too tired to argue. We got there 1:30 AM too late for food. Again wasn't arguing. Really tired. Just needed to sleep. We had to get up at 5 am to be at airport 5:30 am. So disappointing there was no breakfast because it was too early and no transport again it was too early so I paid for transport to airport 25 euros. Once we got to check in and flying with Air France things got a little better except fo no extra leg room I paid Aer Lingus. What an absolute nightmare. I am trying to contact them regarding compensation for their delayed flight again having problems contacting them. They keep telling me to phone back in a few days. I've rang them 4 times. Still no correspond from them. They are a joke. Never would I use them ever again never.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I highly suggest paying more for a better airline. My bags were delayed and have been out for delivery for days even though I have medication on in them and I’m checking out today there’s no sense of urgency and I can’t really get anybody to do anything because the call centers are in Asia. Although they have all been kind they really have no power and can only submit forms.

Aer Lingus Company Information