2. Travel

Aer Lingus Reviews

4.1/5 (293 ratings)

About Aer Lingus Reviews

Aer Lingus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

Original review: April 17, 2021

In March of 2020 I purchased flight to Ireland through a third party website which was my first mistake. They cancelled my flight due to coronavirus which I totally understand and issued me a credit for future flight to use by December 2021 with travel use by March of ‘22. I get it. However there is no change in the virus and who knows how safe travel work be. In March of last year I could have gone. This year has offered more challenges due to covid and work and I am unable to go on this trip. All of this has been explained to them however even though they have had my money for over a year they refuse to refund. Policy they say. How could you possibly have a policy for a pandemic!!! I didn’t cause this, I didn’t want this but somehow I am being penalized for not being able to travel by a refusal of a refund. What is the matter with this company. I don’t recommend ever using this company. Absolutely ridiculous and quite stupid.

Original review: April 6, 2021

They will not refund tickets, for any reason, even due to the Pandemic or flight reschedules on their end. Fraudulent and unethical business practice. They stole $609.21 from me. DO NOT FLY WITH THEM!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2021

We found it to be a friendly airline with exceptional service and rates. On my return trip I had an infection in my back. They put me in a wheelchair and put me on the plane. They offered me warm blankets for my back. Upon arriving at SFO, they had wheelchair waiting and took me and our luggage to the Uber driver. I couldn't ask for more!

Original review: March 4, 2021

The lady on the phone was very disrespectful, unhelpful, and she has hung up on me. She shouted on top of her voice and didn't help me at all. Very very dissatisfied with the flight. Won't be ever booking it.

Original review: July 31, 2020

If you can avoid using Aer Lingus at all possible, please do so! I understand that they are struggling to accommodate everyone after COVID-19, but it is no longer the beginning phase of this pandemic. I have been given the runaround so many times between this company and Travelocity, both of which blame each other for miscommunications (CONSTANT LIES). I was told that because Aer Lingus did not my original flight, even though there was an international travel ban, I was not eligible for a refund. Instead they gave me travel credits. Okay fine, right? Not really.

I had to rebook my flight for next year by August 1st of this year or I wouldn't get anything returned. I rebooked yesterday and my new flight costs less than my original flights. Can I have that remaining extra refunded? No they say. Can I apply those credits to anything else (meals, baggage, excursions)? NO they say. So I'm essentially just losing $150 dollars...Aer Lingus and Travelocity are scam artists. Never again will I book through either of them.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I had a long planned flight to Italy in Mar 2020. Despite US travel guidance, Aer Lingus did not allow changes before I left, and once I was in Italy, and things were shut down in Italy, they refused rerouting, and instead offered only the ability to apply partial fare to a new ticket purchase. There were only a few days after the Mar 10 shutdown of flights (to Italy) where a reroute would have been feasible, and I wasted so much time getting the runaround from Aer Lingus (over about 7x calls) that I blew the window of opportunity to leave.

At one point they even wanted me to cross the border into Switzerland or Spain, but providing my own transportation, despite other carriers still flying from Rome to Dublin at the time. So now it's mid May, and I'm still in Italy. This is the Aer Lingus experience. Aer Lingus eventually offered a refund, but in terms of contract and EU rights, expect them to lie across the board. Also note that the Aer Lingus website didn't even mention COVID until about Mar 25 2020.

Original review: May 13, 2020

If you can avoid booking through Aer Lingus, do so. Customer service is horrible. I liked the ability to put a deposit down on a flight. So we were slated to fly from San Francisco to Dublin on June 2nd, 2020. We were looking forward to the trip, then the COVID pandemic hit. At this point, we realized that our trip wasn't going to happen. I went to cancel the trip and realized that I DID miss the deadline by a couple of days for the deposit in early April, 2020. So there was no longer any reservation or confirmation number for my flight.

I realized that Aer Lingus's policy for deposits and cancelations was well specified. But I had hoped that due to the fact that travel worldwide had been impacted by the Pandemic they would be more understanding. So I sent in a request to see what they could do. Their responses were very cryptic and had very scant information. But I was told that it could take a few months.

Well it only took 1 month. But it was basically an email saying, "Well we told you about our deposit policy, so we're not giving you back anything.". That's it. No refund, no partial refund, no credit...just "EFF YOU, COVID BE DAMNED". Even if we had decided to take the flight...most of the UK (dunno about IE) has a 14 day quarantine. Just ridiculous, we wouldn't be able to have a decent trip. Not doing the Aer Lingus thing again. I understand there's a policy. But I figure that the level of service shines through in the communications and how they handle things during a crisis.

They're dead to me.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Terrible customer service. Despite corona virus shutting down our country/borders and cancelling all events Aer Lingus would not refund our booking. Shocking and appalling. Shame on this airline for not helping people during a global crisis and national emergency. Will Never fly Aer Lingus ever again.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have learned a lot about how Aer Lingus operates in the last week or so. They are generally a scam. Let me explain why I say this first.... Take a look at their voucher operation, they take money and make it nearly impossible for patrols to use the vouchers (there are published articles on their shenanigans with this topic). Now take a look at their recent "offer to book with peace of mind" to waive flight change fees if booked AFTER 3/6/2020. I'm sorry, what? So people who now know about the pandemic get to change their flights but those who booked early are punished. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy for more business, it was not done to help their current customers and to me is a slap in the face.

Now let me discuss my personal experience. Their business ethics have definitely crossed over the line into criminal behavior at this point with the global pandemic being declared. Absolutely refusing to change flights or issue refunds in the wake of borders closing, all schools in Ireland shutting down, preventing indoor gatherings greater than 100 people, and many business locking up IS criminal. The government of Ireland is forbidding groups greater than 100 to gather in indoor locations, yet this Airline refuses to abide by this packing hundreds of people into an aircraft.

Earlier today I called Aer Lingus to try to work something out. Even a small partial refund or at the very least refunding my seat selection and extra baggage fees would have been enough of a gesture to keep me cool. Instead I was told "absolutely not" and when I requested to speak with a supervisor I was told "no", in an extremely rude tone might I add. The woman began to speak over me preventing me from getting a word in, then abruptly hung up. Mind you, I know customer service so I did not swear, yell, or take a rude tone. I waited on hold for 3 hours to get to this point. My blood was ----boiling----.

Message to Aer Lingus: You are representing the Irish people and you are making them look bad. I know from personal experience this is NOT the case. Ireland is one of the most welcoming countries I have ever been to. Your customer base will surely shrink after this incident where you've shown your true colors. People WILL remember this, they will remember that you gave them two choices... 1) To fly and risk illness or quarantine to a country that is basically shut down, or 2) stay home and forfeit your entire fare, which in my case is $1,923.

It is all about the bottom line I suppose, but you have taken a very short sighted approach here. Refusing to bend in even the slightest way while the world is going through something never seen before will absolutely cost more in the long run than it would have to do the right thing from the beginning. It could very well lead to the end of your organization. You have made life-long enemies from a great number of people. I hope it was worth it.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I booked a flight in late January, 2020, well aware of the growing concern about the Coronavirus. We bought useless travel insurance from Allianz, and Aer Lingus has refused to offer any relief or voucher for future travel with them. They are offering that now, based on their website. The only useful advice Aer Lingus offered was to defraud the insurance company that I believe was somehow linked to them. My purpose for travel was my youngest son was scheduled to present at a scientific conference, and his company subsequently canceled all travel. I would never recommend that anyone book or fly with Aer Lingus I am about to turn 70, in the target group for the virus, my home state just declared an emergency, and yet Aer Lingus still expects me to travel? Retired and on fixed income

Aer Lingus Company Information