1.14/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Aer Lingus Reviews

163 Aer Lingus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Aer Lingus agents in Dublin (those directing the queues and those at the check-in counter) totally ignored us and caused us to miss the check-in window by less than a minute, which cost me almost $1,000 (rebooking, hotels etc) - a nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Stuck at the counter of Aer Lingus. Their disregard did sting us. Said it was their right to overbook the flight. So why couldn’t they just ring us? 3 kids in a hotel room alone since Aer Lingus won’t pick up a phone to let us know our flight’s a no go. Ah - but the hotel is in the profit zone. Aer Lingus’ empathy is non-existent. Though we tried to remain persistent they don’t really care. Want us out of their hair but the lines and callousness are consistent. 3 kids are having a meltdown because we can’t get out of town. Aer Lingus rhymes with "They stink us" says 9 year old Devin with a frown.

Obviously had a lot of time standing in lines to write this. When we told them we were shocked by how callous they were about the inconvenience after buying 6 full fare tickets months in advance, the staff member told us truthfully that bumping people is so mundane for them that they often become complacent, not realizing the hardship this is for a family. Airlines in the past have asked for volunteers - what happened to that practice? When I woke up my kids early in the morning to start a second day of travel, I reminded them that it was Aer Lingus' fault so they’ve lost some current as well as future customers - not that they care.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was supposed to be refunded for a flight I purchase directly on Aer Lingus' website but was charged twice for the same booking. After spending over an hour and a half on hold between three calls made to Aer Lingus' customer service within a day, I was told conflicting things about how to receive refunds for the charges made on my account. A day and a half later and I'm still not fully refunded, plus I've wasted a good portion of my morning waiting on hold only to talk to impolite spokespeople from the airline.

Original review: July 18, 2018

June 20th I arrived in Paris and upon checking the carousel one of my bags was missing. I filed a claim to Aer Lingus, they called me on June 21st that my luggage arrived at the airport and that it would be delivered to my hotel. On the 24th I went to the airport and spoke with the lady at the counter and she told me my luggage was sent with Air-France and that they were waiting for it to be transferred. I returned to the U.S. on July 3rd and contacted them because my luggage still hadn't arrived. On July the 5th when nobody tried to contact me I called them and they told me that I needed to fill out another form and that they were not able to help me.

On Sunday July 15th after several calls they told me my luggage had arrived to Indianapolis airport and that they would deliver my luggage. The next day I called again after my luggage did not arrive. They told me it was at the airport, I went there and the lady at the desk told me that my luggage had not arrived. I called again on July 17th and they told me that my luggage was at the airport, told them it wasn't true because I went to the airport myself and the luggage was not there. 27 days have past and I still don't have my luggage. This airline has never taking me or my lost luggage seriously. I have always had to call them as they never tried to contact me. Every time I have called nobody is there to help me. I left a message and they never returned the call, worst experience with Aer Lingus.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Abandoned at Burgas airport on 26th June 2018 - Was due to travel back to Dublin on 26th at 9.25 p.m. Our flight was cancelled by Aer Lingus at 12 mid approx. We were told we would be given hotel accommodation but all we got was a sandwich. Since I got home on 27th June at 5p.m. I have been trying to contact Aer Lingus to claim compensation from my travel insurance but all I get is an acknowledgment that they will reply in 60 working days... When I query they say they will give an update very shortly. This has been going on for 19 days now. Is there any regulation in this country?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aer Lingus?

Original review: July 1, 2018

I booked a flight for my HONEYMOON back in December. When I went to go through my itinerary for my entire trip one last time my flight was CANCELED!!! I received no notice of this. I had already been charged and my fiancé and I spent over 10 HOURS on hold starting Friday afternoon and did not get in touch with someone until Sunday morning who said no one could help us over the phone it had to be done through email! At this point we were in a straight panic and had to rebook. So now we have paid TWICE for our honeymoon and frankly are too frustrated to even be excited about going anymore.

Still have not received any response from numerous emails sent and numerous claims submitted through their website. This is our first time to Europe and our first time flying with Aer Lingus so I booked directly with Aer Lingus thinking that would put in the most secure position for my honeymoon travel plans but now am starting all over and getting double charged!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I fly 3+ times a year internationally and this was my first time flying Aer Lingus. The transatlantic flight from Seattle to Dublin was delayed, awfully dirty and the seats wouldn't recline. The staff was impolite. The entertainment options were extremely limited and they did not have any working headphones. The domestic flight from Dublin to Birmingham was worse; it was delayed and the management was a mess. As I was getting through security, the airline updated the monitors that the flight had left, whereas they hadn't even started boarding. They also lost and damaged my luggage and were always inaccessible whenever I reached out. This flight was cheap and the food (on the transatlantic carrier only) was good but the pros are not worth the hassle. I would recommend finding a better airline. Their organization is a mess and they are unreliable. If you do decide to fly through them, get travel insurance and cover your bases.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have now made two attempts in writing to Aer Lingus to get a refund on a cancelled flight in early March 2018. The first one I completed their online complaints form never even received an acknowledgment. The second time I sent a letter by recorded delivery on 1 May still no acknowledgment. It's a disgrace the way they treat customers.

I am fully entitled to a refund as my flight was cancelled due to snow and the closure of Dublin airport on Fri 2 March 2018 and they have stated on their website passengers wishing to rebook can do so free of charge. However there was a glitch on their website and passengers were charged for rebooking. I am seeking my refund of 150.09 Euro. To date no one has come back to me, their customer experience is a lot to be desired. I wouldn't attempt to call them as I have always found the staff unhelpful and sometimes rude. WAKE UP AER LINGUS AND START LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!

Original review: May 13, 2018

If you find this before booking your trip, DO NOT BOOK ON AER LINGUS, they should be considered a SCAM. 7 attempts to call customer service to change a reservation all resulted in being hung up on! Since part of my flight was on United, I tried getting help through United. The United agent deserves a GOLD STAR for trying to help me. She called Aer Lingus and was HUNG UP ON EVEN BEFORE TALKING to an agent. If Aer Lingus reads this: YOU GUYS ARE AWFUL. Shut down and stop stealing consumers money!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Aer Lingus I found to be elusive, rude and without honor. Nearly impossible to find a telephone number that is capable of reaching a real person, excessive, in excess of 30 minute, time on hold and surly female agent trying to pass the buck to avoid saying they do not refund any cancellations. More to say but if you're on this site you've already experienced "Irish Hospitality" at its worst. Use 1 800 474-7424 or 1-800 223-6537 to reach what passes for life.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Thanks for denying us (and 7+ others) the boarding passes we paid for (kiosks don’t work for Aer Lingus), forcing us to buy new tickets which cost over double our original ticket price, and gifting us with 10 hours in queue lines over a 2 day period to get this “solution” accomplished. After I made a formal complaint I love the automated reply back. Top notch customer service. Logic for denying our passes was we were “late” even though we arrived to airport over 2 hours early. Apparently it’s our fault the kiosks don’t work and Aer Lingus ticketing operates understaffed rendering a check in line of an hour just to get boarding passes printed (or in our case to be told they wouldn’t print them and be redirected to a 3+ hour line to buy new tickets). Thanks!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I went from JFK to Shannon Ireland in 2017. Their plane was very dirty, not clean and had a sad look. Staff was rude. When we landing to Shannon they took a nose dive. It was like your elevator drop. Never had this happen before on a flight. I tried to tell the Aer Lingus at desk in airport. She just did not care. She looked like she was bored and was killing time. I will never fly Aer Lingus again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I booked a flight with Aer Lingus on Expedia, then had an important question that only Aer Lingus could answer. I called their customer service line four times and waited on hold for half an hour or more each time without ever getting through. I needed to get a response within 24 hours of booking, and could not reach them. I finally gave up, cancelled my flight, and booked with British Airways instead. (Expedia was great about this, by the way.) I found the Aer Lingus website to be poor as well. These are problems this airline really needs to solve.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Booked flights with Aer Lingus months ago. Aer Lingus cancelled flights without advising us leaving us an 11 hour layover and totally ruining our hotel and car rental bookings. They’ve given us no options but to cancel or drive 4 hours to another airport or fly in a day early and pay for our hotel while we wait for a flight.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Flight from Dublin Boston 5 November 2017 - The flight was cancelled and we were given no reason. The alternative offered was a flight to NYC then GROUND TRANSPORTATION to Boston. The staff seemed to know nothing. The result of all this is that we arrived at Boston Logan at 2:45am 6 Nov instead of 7:30pm 5 Nov. A lot of passengers had no luggage at NYC. Aer Lingus refused to pay for hotel. All transport from Logan had finished when we arrived. It was VERY costly to get to Rhode Island. It was truly awful. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

On July 26, 2017, I flew Aer Lingus from Munich, transferred in Dublin, and continued to LAX. My luggage never made it. There were about 20 people on my flight also missing their luggage. After an hour, a clerk filed reports for us and said our luggage would be delivered within 24 hours. It's been over 6 WEEKS and still no luggage. I understand that happens (although not sure why in these days of technology) but the worst part is that Aer Lingus IGNORES MY NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS AND EMAILS! HELP! When I call their corporate office, I'm on hold for 20 minutes, repeat my story each time, and am told someone will call me back in 48 hours. Never happens. Help! I don't know what else to do.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

HISTORY: PAYMENT 1: Purchase date 27.08.2016: Transaction date 30/31.08.2016 recorded on my master card statement 48: I originally reserved and booked two seats 3A and 3B for flight **. 07:10 Outbound 01/03/2017 to Malaga and seats 3A and 3B for the 12:20 pm inbound to Dublin. My record shows I paid 47.96 Euro's @ 87.949 = £42.18 including transaction charge of £1.12. PAYMENT 2: On the 13.01.2017, through Aer Lingus "Manage your Booking" I upgraded my reserve seats to "Premium Class" seats 4H and 4K. My MasterCard statement 52 recorded a further charge of £103.58 in addition to the previous £42.18 I had already paid.

On the 14/04/2017, Aer Lingus credited my Master Card, statement 55 with a risible £20.36 for the cancelled seats 4H AND 4K on the 29/03/2017. This sum is half the price paid for the original reservation of seats 3A and 3B. It does not take into consideration the upgrade price paid of an extra £103;58. It is this money that I am claiming a refund since 30/03/2017. Every enquiry is met with yet another CASE NUMBER, So far these are the references or case numbers I have been given. 30/03/2017 Ref: **. 30/03/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 08/06/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 22/06/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 22/06/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **. 26/07/2017 Aer Lingus Case No **.

The reason I have claimed a refund was because Premium seats 4H and 4K were not available as there had been a change in aircraft. I was allocated seats by the check-in-clerk without the priority boarding I had initially had with my reserved seats. My claim has become a saga. Please assist me in the matter of refunding the second payment of £103.58. electronic ref: ** and **. I would be truly sincerely grateful.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I flew back home from Dublin Airport. We checked one bag and when we got to O'hare the bag didn't show up. We filed a "delayed" baggage claim. We were told it was an airport software glitch and they were hiring more employees to deal with all the "delayed" baggage. That was on July 6th, 2017 and it's now Aug. 3rd, 2017! I've left over 20 emails to Aer Lingus and not ONE has been responded to. I spent 45 minutes on hold and spoke with a supervisor who said they were doing everything they could to tend to the backlog. That phone call cost me $75.00! Every link on their website takes you back to delayed baggage. I can't even find a claim form. I've left numerous messages on the USA phone lines provided and again haven't received one call back. I even emailed Dublin Airport and miraculously I received a response from them giving me Aer Lingus's contact information!

I'm at a loss of what to do. My entire wardrobe was in there. I'm not overstating that fact. All my work skirts, shirts, undies, shoes as well as several gifts purchased in Ireland. Sadly, my daughter's keepsake from her father was in there! It was something he gave her before he passed away when she was 2 1/2 yrs old! I don't know where to turn now and appreciate any suggestions.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Booked two tickets from D.C. to Dublin using their US partner JetBlue. Due to "servicing" the plane, our flight was over an hour late departing, so we missed our connecting flight, even though Aer Lingus knew there were three people connecting from our flight And we could see the plane sitting in a queue. Aer Lingus couldn't manage to get us on a flight until almost 24 hours later, causing us to miss one entire day of our vacation. There was no help getting a hotel, a refusal to offer any amount of compensation in the form of an Aer Lingus voucher for our lost vacation time and to add insult to injury, the manager of the airline at Boston refused to meet with us. I will never buy another Aer Lingus anything again.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I flew with Aer Lingus recently for an eight day holiday to Bulgaria. My luggage arrived four days after I did. I had paid 110€ in baggage charges. I had to go to the airport to collect my bag as I was told that Aer Lingus don't deliver. I forgot to get a receipt. I only spent 161€ on essentials and that was all Aer Lingus would pay in full and final settlement. They had suggested I claim from my insurance. Why should my insurance pay? It was Aer Lingus' incompetence so they should pay. I requested a refund of my baggage charge as they had not fulfilled the contract to transport my luggage with me. I was informed that they do not refund baggage charges and referred me to the or terms and conditions. They refused to refund taxi fares without receipt. They refused to pay compensation for spoiling my holiday. I was very fair buying only essentials. I don't think their attitude has been very fair in return.

Original review: July 9, 2017

When I flew to Chicago my luggage went missing. I do understand that this happens from time to time and that airlines do their best to retrieve it. And retrieve it they did, but they sent it to another passenger who had also lost luggage, 3 hours from Chicago in Milwaukee. To add insult to injury, having promised to get it to me by FedEx overnight fast service, they sent it FedEx standard service. I only received my luggage (after much to-ing and fro-ing) the day I departed back to the UK.

But added to this is the fact Aer Lingus have appalling customer service procedures. There were errors on the website and in documents e.g. the missing baggage claim form should be submitted when you have not received your luggage after 72 hours, yet on the form it says it must be submitted "within" 72 hours. Another form on the website is described in one place as "customer relations form" and in another it is described as "guest relations form".

Getting hold of anyone by phone in the US was nearly impossible and they do not update the missing luggage website. To this day it states that my luggage is still missing. Back to the flight - we had paid for seats with extra room, but the video and music player did not work so we had to move seats. A refund for the extra amount, as they don't reply to e-mails I may give up. But not giving up with regard to compensation for their cock-ups getting the luggage to me.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Rented a car for a period of 14 days during my stay in Ireland over the website. When I arrived to collect the staff member insisted I upgrade and made an effort to advise me how much more economical a Diesel engine is over a petrol engine. The actual cost was double the cost of the original petrol vehicle. Anyway I accepted and happily went on my trip.

The issue I have now is that Europcar made an unauthorised debit amount of AUD $383 stating that I damaged a lock box where keys were kept in storage. Here is my statement: I arrive at the Europcar depot 2:00am in the morning to return the car in order to comfortably make my 5:55am international flight. Upon arrival the Europcar depot is closed and signs on the locked gate stated opening hours were from 5:00am.

I now continue to drive around the compound in the early morning hours hoping to gain access and hopefully find a safe place to leave the car. After a few minutes I am approached by a person in a car who seems to be on patrol and I advised him of my concerns. He politely guided me to a terminal drop off zone within the airport and after following his advice I found myself gaining access to the Europcar terminal drop off zone. It's now 2:30am and the area is unmanned and I leave the car in a parking bay. I now remove my personal items and ready to lock the car but with nowhere to leave the keys.

There is no drop off box for key returns but instead a lock box with a 3 digit numerical lock. This is not a safe as it's very fragile. All I could think of is to leave the keys inside but had no way of opening the box. After examining the box I discovered that the door was flexible and could easily pull it back slightly allowing just enough room to slide the keys in. My intentions were honest and genuine and all I had was the security of the vehicle in mind.

The attempt to slide the keys in failed because the lock box that was used to store keys was very fragile and in my attempt the small plastic clip broke and this disengaged the lock and the door opened. This clip that broke was so small and fragile that Europcar felt that AUD $383 was sufficient to cover the cost. This amount equates to 250 euros and I am not a happy customer who wanted nothing more than to return a car with the keys.

Original review: June 15, 2017

They cancelled a flight from Chicago to Dublin due to weather, and diverted the plane to Detroit, a city right in the path of the storm. This was a stupid move, but by the end of this review you will see this was actually the least of their mistakes. So upon cancellation, we are instructed to collect our luggage and stand in an incredibly long line. Eventually, you learn from others that the line is only to receive a hotel voucher, and that they are providing NO HELP in re-booking flights, with some lame excuse that it's not their expertise (apparently too unintelligent to use Google Flights). By the time you learn this (HOURS INTO THE LINE) their customer service call center has closed for the night. Of course they run out of hotel vouchers by the time you get to the front of the line, but that's irrelevant - you won't be sleeping, because now you have to wait until so, so late into the night before you can get them on the phone.

As soon as you do get them on the phone, (it's 2:30 AM now) you are promptly told they cannot help you because you booked using credit card points, and that you must call your credit card, which you learn when you call them that THIS WAS A LIE. They were supposed to help you; they cancelled the flight, it's their responsibility to re-book. But this won't even be their only lie. They later refuse to book you on another flight because they say you lack a transit visa for Canada, THEIR SECOND LIE. Going on the Canadian government website and pointing out that US citizens do not need such a visa doesn't help, however, because their goal is to avoid helping.

These lies delayed our re-booking by hours, and we watched as flight after flight filled, pushing our departure back day after day. Their lies, a blatant effort to avoid having to pay another airline to re-book us (since they have so few flights) has cost me the opportunity to be in Dublin for Bloomsday, a dream I've had for years and one I prepared for by powering through Ulysses in the past week. There is no language strong enough or crude enough to express just how AWFUL AER LINGUS IS. Their culture of taking no responsibility, and of deceit toward their customers have truly earned them this, my first APOCALYPTICALLY BAD REVIEW.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I have contacted Customer Services numerous times about flights that I have taken but that were not added to my AerClub account. All the missing flights appear on the "My past trips" list. Every time I contact AerClub about this issue, they imply that I had made a mistake by not having these flights associated with my AerClub account at the time of booking. This cannot be correct because the flights are obviously in their system under my account (they appear in the "my past trips" list and I was logged in when I booked). Furthermore, I am a premium customer (platinum) and I do not see why I should do the admin work to make up for system glitches. Overall, the apathy and unhelpfulness of customer services are unworthy of a quality airline.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Flew Izmir to Dublin 23.5.17. We were herded in loading tunnel for 20 mins. Very hot and sweaty finally boarded plane which was then delayed for 30 mins. Flight was ok but legroom is very cramped. No inflight entertainment at all. Landed in Dublin and had to leave plane down metal steps. Walk across tarmac to main building and then TREK 1/3 MILE TO PASSPORT CONTROL. This trek was a disgrace. We are fairly fit and found it stressful so god help older folk or the infirm. We don't book half luggage as Aer Lingus costs are extortionate in my opinion, BUT they let us put our luggage on hold FREE OF CHARGE??? WE ONLY FLY AER LINGUS CAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE.

Original review: May 5, 2017

This airline is a hazard to health. Many seats are crammed and there is no room to move in the cabin to prevent DVT which I have been living with the consequences.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I've been on hold for 27 minutes now to speak with a representative about a simple issue - checking in online (website had an auto message stating "Oops this is not available now, contact a representative if it persists"!!) and getting my seat assigned.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Traveling from Dublin to London: Aer Lingus charged me 1,000% to check a bag full of clothes and toys for my Ethiopian foster kids (I live in Ethiopia). €198 to check a bag on an hour and a half flight. Customer support told me they're sorry for my disappointment. My family and I created this website (Aerlinguscheatedme.com) to draw attention to how Aer Lingus screws over its customers and explain the impact it has on my foster kids, who have nothing. Please never fly Aer Lingus.

Original review: March 11, 2017 I had a heart attack two weeks ago. Reached out to get a refund on the ticket. Can not get one. Can rebook for another flight with a surcharge, must do so within two weeks of the original flight. I am not sure if/when I would be healthy enough or would have friends and family that will be going again if I am healthy and not sure when. (if I were to rebook to try to save my $, pay the surcharge and had to change it again, if even possible, would probably have to pay another surcharge).

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY WOULD NOT REFUND THIS DUE TO A MEDICAL CONDITION. Here is what I sent to Aer Lingus: "I have a reservation for March 14 to Dublin, returning March 21. Unfortunately, and certainly not in my plans was a heart attack I suffered on February 17th. I will be unable to fly during this period. What do I have to do in order to get a refund on my ticket?"

This is their reply... "Thank you for contacting Aer Lingus. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The fare you purchased is a Low economy fare. The ticket is non-refundable. In the event of cancellation, you may claim your unused government taxes within one month of travel date, less a refund administration fee (if applicable). In order to preserve the value of your ticket, you must change your flight at least two hours in advance of departure. Tickets cannot be held without flights for future use. Fare difference, if any, and a change fee of €100/$150 assessed per person per direction and will be collected at the time of change.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Travelled from Chicago, Illinois to Dublin, Ireland to Malaga, Spain round trip beginning February 16, 2017. Signs of trouble with the airline and adherence to their policy was when it was demanded we give up 2 standard size backpacks instead of allowing us to stow them under our seats when flying from Dublin, Ireland to Malaga, Spain. I essentially travelled without my passport, cell phone was in the bag live, and thousands of dollars out of my possession. We had to give up the bags just before entering the plane and we expected once we got off the plane they would be handed back to us. No, they were found on the baggage carousel!

Trying to catch the flight home from Dublin, Ireland to Chicago we were denied access to the flight. We arrived at the airport around 10:50 am and the flight left at 12:50 pm. We tried using the Kiosk and couldn't get it to work. Went through the check in line, got to the counter, and was told the flight was closed. Here's the kicker... The flight wasn't supposed to be closed until 75 minutes before the flight. That means the flight should not have been closed until 11:35 am. I was denied access around 11:15 am. I was directed to a different desk and complaining by 11:20 am and thinking to myself if they would just let me go, we can make it. I got excuses after excuses and timetable differences after timetable difference.

Long story short around $700 USD extorted from me in change fees, etc and have to catch a different flight tomorrow. No more Aer Lingus for me. Always wanted to visit Ireland, but after this experience and reading other reviews, I will have to figure out how to do it without going through Aer Lingus and will advise people to avoid this carrier.

Aer Lingus Company Information

www.aerlingus.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business