3.7/5 (542 ratings)

SunPower

SunPower

View Plan

About Tesla Energy

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design and manufacture solar generation, energy storage and software products to enable homeowners to power their daily lives with sustainable energy. With Solar Roof, solar panel and Powerwall installations growing across the US, our customers are reducing their reliance on the grid, lowering their carbon impact and producing clean energy from the greatest resource we share.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

Cons

• High upfront costs

Bottom Line

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

Top Tesla Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing cam...

Verified

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a ...

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
    Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
    Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
    Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
    X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?

Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.

How much is a Tesla Powerwall?

The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.

What solar panels does Tesla use?

Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.

Where are Tesla solar panels made?

Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

A number of years ago, we bought solar panels from Solar City just as they were being acquired by Tesla. We were satisfied and purchased again for our second home. This time around the experience was even more satisfying. Although there were delays due to supply chain and city permitting, Tesla was very communicative via email and text. Once things got started we were impressed with the staff who work for Tesla. We had over 20 panels installed that took only a day and the lead electrician, Robert, was in touch throughout the day.

A few days later someone came out to do a pre-inspection to make sure we were ready and would pass the city inspection, and on the day of the inspection Alexander arrived to do a final check and accompany the inspector when he arrived. Alexander and Robert were more than willing to respond to my follow-up texts. I am so appreciative of the staff, the easy process, and the attention to my particular needs. I'd recommend Tesla solar to all my friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Great experience all around. No high pressure sales tactics like other Solar companies. Offered better solar array size for the cost as compared to others. Was able to ask questions and get help when needed through the site or calling my project manager. They did all the proper permitting (city and county) and all that I needed to do was submit HOA paperwork.

I now have a whole house backup which is very nice as we had power go out often during storms. The Powerball now switches over almost instantly where one doesn't notice power loss. Obviously one's power bill will depend on many factors, but I've had 10-12$ bills for the past few hot summer months. My decision weighed heavily on battery backup and energy independence. I also talked to other homeowners who went solar and they were similarly telling me how happy they were that they invested in solar. Obviously, one always thinks about costs, however 6 months into solar, I am happy I invested in it as I have seen the benefits first hand. All while trying to do my part to help the planet. If you want to go solar with Tesla, use my referral link to get $300 dollars towards it: **.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2022

When I first contacted Tesla, it went crazy fast. Got the inspection and ready for the next steps. But when I tried to contact them (only way to do this is via the website, there's no phone number to call) it would take 1 to 2 weeks to get a response. Things went quiet then for months, but I attributed this to the parts shortage that I knew everyone was experiencing so I wasn't too concerned.

Then about a month ago Tesla came back and started communicating with me really well, answering my questions within an hour of asking via text message. I don't know Diana's last name but she was excellent. In fact, the communications leading up the install got almost TOO good. I was getting a text message and email almost daily!!

Day of Install came (of course, raining) and the Phoenix Team showed up (they told me to mention them, and I'm happy to) and they were really great. They did a good job and when they were done everything was gone you'd never know anyone was here. Because of the rain they had to put the panels up the next day, but if it had been nice I really think they would have gotten everything done that day. While my new system can't export electricity to the grid until after the utility company finishes the paper work they were able to turn the system on immediately and I've now been off grid for 2 days!

Original review: March 10, 2022

I finally went with the Tesla Solar Roof (tiles not panels) and I couldn't be happier. I needed a new roof anyway so decided to get it with 2 PowerWall backup batteries. The product looks amazing and IMO is the best looking solar product on the market right now. You cannot tell you have solar tiles at all. From a distance it looks like slate. Very smart. The install crew were amazing! They battled bad weather including freezing temps, rain, wind and snow in NJ in Feb/March! It did not deter them, and they got it done on time and were communicative the whole time. Shout out to Martin ** & Jimmy ** and their whole crew! Their electricians are also very detail oriented and do a great job of hiding things as best they can. The Powerwalls work seamlessly and the app showing usage is mesmerizing. You cannot tell when you are on battery versus, solar versus grid. No flickering, stuttering or anything. Just seamless power delivery. Highly impressive!

Some things to keep in mind: I will say that Tesla's solar product line and what they do/do not support is changing by the minute, definitely get things clear with your project supervisor. For instance, I have 5 skylights and originally was told they would replace them for me. Then was told they don't do that service anymore. But eventually they honored it because of when I originally put in my inquiry.

Also their engineers will probably design the roof around protrusions without suggesting they be moved, as they don't want to handle the moving of them, such as vent pipes. So definitely suggest those things and get them taken care of by another roofing contractor before the install starts and it could mean more usable roof real estate. I also got upgraded to the latest tiles that are a higher wattage, so the size of my system went up. It's bleeding edge tech and so is changing all the time. So far, I have been very impressed with the people and the technology and would highly recommend Tesla Energy.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

Our Tesla Solar system has been an adventure for us. I am very happy that we went with Tesla even though there are improvement areas they need to address, especially related to consumer experience. We absolutely love the look of the Tesla solar panels (nobody else comes close) and the features of the Powerwall+ equipment (best API in the industry which makes it expandable). In typical Tesla fashion, the design is stunning, next level technology and feels like quality. With our Tesla system, we are now powering our home with an ancient but reliable and self-regulating, thermonuclear fusion reactor… our sun. It is performing extremely well and we are looking forward to many years of green energy.

If you select Tesla Solar, my advice is to plan on being the project manager. Stay on top of all the details, be proactive to keep things just like you want them and moving along. Unfortunately, due to the great price and product, the Tesla project advisors are overloaded and seem to be too busy to help you at times. They rarely respond in a timely fashion. But when they do, they are friendly and helpful. The long spans and dropped balls along the way can be frustrating. Being hands on will help you stay on track and get even more out of the investment. Believe me, the outcome is worth the effort.

To be fair, I had the pleasure of meeting several Tesla employees and technicians that were incredibly helpful and experts in their trade. The installers and quality assurance engineering team members were top notch. Overall, I believe Tesla is ahead of the curve when it comes to making solar energy accessible, practical and even delightful! Highly recommended. Our full adventure is chronicled here: **.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

We just had the Tesla solar panels and a Powerwall installation this week after the Tesla employees visited the house twice, a design team planned the system, and the site survey team stating where everything would be mounted, what was needed, and how it would be done. Long story short, they made a mistake on the size of the system and after I voiced a concern, suddenly they "adjusted" the plans to be in the approximate output of what was needed. As we were also paying for a Powerwall, the site surveyor stated after taking pictures of Air Conditioning units, noting appliances, and that we had a pool, the design team recommended 1 Powerwall. They finished installation 3 days ago, and already by watching the Tesla App, I can see that 1 Powerwall is not enough.

I reached out to the design team via chat (the only option by the way and you can't call them) and was told by a rude employee, SETH, that it was not their problem with the Powerwall and even though the system was installed less than 36 hours ago, there was nothing I could do. Now mind you, no final approval from the building department or the power company has been granted yet, and the installation isn't complete because the poles that are mounted to the floor to protect the Powerwall in the garage from a car striking it accidentally was not installed during the installation and another appointment would have to be made (I had to reach out and ask about this missing pole).

I asked for a supervisor to call me and was told that no supervisor would call me back. I was told I have to wait a year and then apply for another Powerwall, but THEY DON'T INSTALL STANDALONE POWERWALL UNITS, and don't know when they will be doing this. So now I have a system which was just installed, cannot supply the needs of the house even overnight with minimal electrical usage, and they won't just come back to install another battery. What kind of a company is this where they say everything will work out fine and less than 36 hours later you find out that it won't? Be careful of using Tesla and if you're interested in solar, make sure you ask all these questions up front or you may get stuck with something that is inadequate.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

At the beginning of 2021, when we moved to our current home, we obtained an online quote from Tesla solar. They gave us a preliminary estimate. They collected our electric bills and when spoken to customer support, we were told that the setup we will get should cover all of our utility needs. At the time, our electric bill was averaging $330 a month and that is why we wanted to install solar. We had a different company (Sunpower) in our older home. So, this was not our first solar experience. But, we opted to go with Tesla because they expressed guarantees to giving us optimal setup with the technology they had to cover our energy usage.

Tesla then came for a couple of home inspections and told us the roof was in great condition. They did not say anything about the house orientation, roof slope, or trees around us. They just informed us that we will need 36 panels will give us more than enough energy. We proceeded with the installation and paid a little over $25,000 in full. We received our true up electric bill in August, we were shocked. Our bill was about $3100. Given that we were averaging $330/month and given that we were paying monthly percentage as directed by the energy bill, the bill means that we are pretty much not getting any benefits from solar at all.

Ever since we have been battling with Tesla to resolve this issue. We have spent numerous chats on the app with customer support and talked to them about 6 times, for over an hour each time with no progress on identifying the problem or Tesla initiating any type of solution to support the service we paid fully for. We asked a technician from the energy company to evaluate our system. After examining the meter and other givens, he told us that we have next to no output. He also noted that our usage was actually the bare minimal as well at the time. He speculated that the system Tesla set up is on strings and that there are few inverters, which means when there is shading, there is a system power shut down power. This was the first time we ever heard of a string inverter setup.

We spoke to tesla, who eventually sent out a technician and charged us $200. The technician concluded that the system is fine but confirmed that we have 4 inverters, and the shading will cause an issue. He also said that he felt there were setup issues and promised to talk to supervisor and get back to us. That never happened. We called multiple times and received no call back. We kept calling and when we finally received customer support, they said will not do anything about it because of the shading. The service rep was argumentative and extremely unhelpful.

We called again and got the issue escalated. The person who handled escalation sent a note saying that the shading is the problem and closed the case and would not communicate with us again. So, we hired another company engineer to do an assessment on the setup. The report finding are summarized as such:(1) We have a string setup, panel grouping, which needed micro inverters, because of the shading so as not to lose production. (2) The slope of the house does not provide enough sunlight because of rotation. Tesla should have angled the panels differently to capture more sun. (3) Tesla is used areas of low radiance to place the panels causing less production when there is other available space on the roof that would optimize output.

Tesla never told us about shading or micro inverters. There was no discussion of potential risks from shading. We shared the report with Tesla and did not receive a reply to our email in 3 weeks. We called 2 more times into Tesla support. One time we waited 45 min and then got disconnected/hung-up. We called again and finally got through to someone. They insisted that it is the shading. We said we needed an engineer to look at the setup and evaluate the situation. Tesla is not being helpful.

As obvious from the long and tedious description that Tesla overpromised, did not deliver and is refusing to take responsibility and offer solutions. We literally paid $25,000 for nothing. We are not getting any benefits. The trees around our house have been there for many years. They were there the two times Tesla came for a home inspection. We went with Tesla because we trusted that they have the right engineers and tools to forecast our needs based on the data provided and be able to place the panels and set them up in a way that maximized production. None of that took place. This is a complete disappointment.

In addition to the incompetent service they supplied, the customer service is horrible. We have spent endless hours on the phone and on chat with them. They show no concern or advocacy for their customers of any sort. I would not recommend Tesla solar to anyone. We had SunPower previously and they delivered on their promises, and we have not had a single issue with them for over 6 years.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

My Tesla app stopped reporting the usage for solar generation and consumption more than 4 months ago. I opened a ticket with them at that time. 4 months in and they have not done much to resolve my case. Every time they tell me that someone will call me next day, guess what? No call ever till I call them back. They sent a person to my home to fix it twice and both the times they gave a wireless extender saying that the signal is weak. It has not helped at all even with the solution they provided. They have been transferring me from one department to another for the past month and on calls for hours at a stretch. Customer service is so rude that they don't care about wasting customers' time and they are like you are talking to me now and I don't want to talk about why you were on the call for the past 2 hours and I can't help you with the problem as the order is in the system but don't know when it will be served.

Also we got solar along with the home we bought 3 yrs ago and had called to move the system under my name at that time. Guess what? It was still not moved 2 years ago. I called in. They said they moved it at that time. I talked to a representative today to address my current problem and they had not moved the entire system to my name yet!!! 3 years and they still can't fix it. I have no words to how they are conducting their business and deal with customers in a rude way. I had rude customer support from them at least 2 times in the past 4 months. Very disappointed with Tesla. Will not buy anything solar things from them again...

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

Tesla was great to work with. Always responsive to emails and texts and they were critical in navigating and resolving issues with our local utility. The technicians who came to our house were professional, knowledgeable, and super helpful. They did a great job! The system and the app were well together. I love it and would highly recommend them to anyone interested in getting residential solar!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

Installed solar with Solar City 10 years ago. Tesla picked up our service and we remit monthly payments to Tesla. We've been very happy with our decision to have solar on our house. We live in Colorado and get harsh hail storms from time to time. Recently we had to have the roof replaced, due to hail damage. Tesla service (or their subcontractor) scheduled and removed the panels pretty quickly, within 7-14 days. We had the shingles replaced and waited the 30-days they require before we contact them for the reinstallation.

Then contacted Tesla via email that the roof was done and the panels were ready to be reinstalled. Crickets! No email confirming, they received my email, no call...nothing. Email is the only way you can contact them. I dialed the phone number listed on their removal email and it states 'the number is not a working number at Tesla'.

I've sent a few emails regarding the need for reinstall, with no contact back. I've had my panels stacked on my deck since mid-July 2022, 4-months. I'm worried the harsh winds we can get in the front range will blow and damage some of the panels. BTW, I still make my payments and my higher electric bill. I understand there have been workman shortages, but please let me know what's going on! I don't know where to go from here. Tesla, please take care of your obligation.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Tesla Energy Company Information

www.tesla.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: