2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.88/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy has redefined the way residential and commercial buildings harness the power of the sun. Tesla solar panels are easy to install and can radically impact your monthly utility bills and energy consumption.

BOTTOM LINE

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

PROS

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

CONS

• High upfront costs

Top Tesla Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

... that did bring my frustration level down and won't waste my time again with their customer service folks who may want to help you but won't or cannot review your contract and relay what kind of situation you actually signed up for...

Their proposal sounded good and I signed on the dotted line 5.5 years ago. The first few years were fine but after three years the panels are losing power and they will not come out to find out which ones are dead …

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $7,400 and $25,030.

• Small Tesla solar panels produce an average of 14 to 19 kilowatt-hours per day and are best suited for a 1,000 to 2,000 square foot home. The price for these, after incentives, is $7,400.
        • Medium-sized Tesla solar roofs produce an average of 29 to 39 kWh per day and are best suited for a 2,000 to 3,000 square foot home. The price for these, after incentives, is $13,320.
        • Large panels produce an average of 43 to 58 kWh per day and are recommended for homes ranging from 3000 to 4000 square feet. The price for these, after incentives, is $19,610.
        • The extra-large panels produce an average of 53 to 66 kWh per day and are best suited for homes over 4,000 square feet. The price for these, after incentives, is $25,530.

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
        Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
        How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
        The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $14,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
        What solar panels does Tesla use?
        Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
        Where are Tesla solar panels made?
        Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: June 24, 2020

Put system on about 5 years ago as a rental when it was Solar City. I don't think I'd do that again. As Solar City actual people were available for questions and assistance but since Tesla took over not so much. Still have a large "true up" amount due every year to PG&E, so the panels aren't producing enough energy for our needs. "True Up" is a yearly payment made directly to PG&E. We pay Tesla monthly for the energy we produce on our panels at a lower rate than PG&E. I wish we had investigated further.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Tesla has a compact and efficient battery. It fits inside a cabinet of your house, you attach it against a wall, it is flat and white. You have to plan to leave space around it, about 10 inches all over. Nothing can touch it, it needs breathing space. It is very esthetic, it is easy to hide. The Tesla battery is clean, it is not a toxic and dirty battery like the regular one. It comes with 20 year warranty I seems to remember. It is a long lasting battery, it is expensive to buy but since you don't have to replace it every 5 years, in a long term it works well. You can monitor all solar installation, your usage, your production via an app from your cell phone. It is very practical when you are not at home and even more when you are at home since you can monitor your daily consumption and organize your daily usage around it. I highly recommend it. I had 12 panels installed 4 years ago on my roof, I selected Tesla as a battery and cannot be happier.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

This company gave me hope for the future. I sincerely seen them start making electric cars, affordable transportation, bill free power for homes, I have been amazed. It is tech like this that will save the future. We will see poverty end, dreams be made, potential be nurtured, crime rate go down, dreams come true, we may even get an answer to that age old question "why are we here." The Tesla Solar Panels for the Roof are my current favorite. I've been looking into them. I know they could change the face of small struggling towns in America. Just imagine placing the cost of an energy bill back into the pockets of struggling families. They will be able to spend more on food, education, in their local economies, its wonderful. We own that to Tesla. We need to encourage America to follow their example.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. The entire process was totally taken care of for me. I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing came out much higher quality than I could have expected. The crew are professional and extremely respectful to my dog. I would do it again, wouldn't change a thing.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I had heard of Tesla Solar from others and they all had good reviews on them so I decided to go with them. The customer service was great. I always felt my questions were answered. As far as the service and products, I have no complaints. It was as expected. This has saved me tons of money. Guaranteed I had to put out money but in the long run I would be saving much more. I would suggest others to try them.

Original review: July 4, 2020

They are a nightmare to deal with after you sign a contract. They promise you the world and once they have your money it's downhill fast. Simply put the thing was broke more than it worked. I had bought the unit outright and have since learned how to repair and make the thing work myself better than how they did it and they won't honor their own warranties. It was cheaper for me to go this route over trying to sue them as two lawyers I talked with would not take the case without some upfront money which means they were figuring not getting much from them. Shop around. Go visit other installs and talk to the customers in person before choosing your solar company.

Original review: June 26, 2020

The system was installed fast and those guys were geared up to do it that way. Solar City was the installer and they did lie about a few important things verbally when selling the system to us. The two things were later taken care of at my expense after they were added to a second "modified lease" I signed. Whenever a modified lease happens make sure you read every page including warranty when dealing with solar. A lease is iron clad. Read it. A year or two into the lease Tesla bought Solar city out and Tesla isn't focused on Solar for homes. They focus on the cars. The web site is terrible. The hold times on the phone are longer than cable tv used to be. They try pushing you to the web site for every thing pushes you to call. A loop that leads nowhere.

They won't put enough panels up there to save you enough money on the power to make it worth getting the system on a lease. They don't tell you anything about battery storage for night. They want you to pay $8000.00 bucks for that set up later on. What I leased is a solar system that produces just enough energy to pay the monthly lease. The power company still bills me and less the almost exact amount of lease cost. We have plenty of roof space and yard space but they won't put more panels. If going Solar, buy the system. Replace your roof before they do the panels or replace roof, install panels together. Get the battery storage for night time and you might save a few bucks.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Purchased my home a year ago and was informed I could buy out the lease on the 5th year anniversary of the contract. Called and emailed prior to the date and was told I couldn't buy out the contract until July. Called again prior to July and was told "Oh you are too late. Needed to call before February" Which I pointed out that I had and after repeated calls finally was put in contact with a Manager. They Informed me after 8 months the buyout price would be $10,000 more than a new system. They have refused to explain how they calculated the system's value. Another matter with this company is the billing. NV Energy shows the received **** Kwh from the system and then Tesla bills you for a different amount of Kwh and tried to tell me solar Kwh are different than Kwh. Really this company is HORRIBLE. If I could rate them in the Negative I would.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I contracted with Solar City end of 2016 to install a residential solar energy system. They typically use historical electricity consumption data to determine the design: number of solar panels, placement etc. Since I had just installed a large exercise swim spa whose heating system is electrical, I insisted and they agreed to not use the retrospective data as it was invalid, but to take three more months worth of electricity readings prospectively to base their design and installation. However, they only took two months worth, and the system that was installed has never adequately met my electricity needs.

Six months after installation, I requested an audit that they refused to do, telling me that they needed a full year of data before they would conduct an audit. By 12 months Tesla had bought out Solar city and I received a bill from Southern California Edison electricity company for over $1000 for supplemental electricity over that year. I called Tesla immediately to inform them and embarked on a several month negotiation process with them as I was simply asking them to correct the design flaw. They resisted and delayed for many months but finally agreed to do it if it didn’t involve additional solar panels but could be done by moving some panels to the south facing side of the house which had to be approved by the city.

After I obtained city approval, I contacted them to move the panels and they told me they would need to charge me several thousand dollars! Obviously no longer acting in good faith, I retained an attorney who was unsuccessful in achieving a settlement and now I’m on a second attorney, also unsuccessful, so I’m pursuing a mediation and arbitration process as agreed to in the lease contract I signed. They are still an uncooperative refusing to post their part of the filing fee! I’m in a similar quandary because I’m under a 30 year lease and want to sell my house soon.

I stopped paying my Tesla monthly bill as it’s the only leverage I had with Tesla in protest since they had clearly acted in bad faith over those many months. That is where things stand. I am interested in seeing who is involved in a class action suit with Tesla Re: residential solar energy systems. it seems like there’s many homeowners who have been ripped off, and we have very little recourse especially if under a lease when we can’t sell her house unless a new owner agrees to take over the lease. I would seriously caution anyone against using Tesla in purchasing your solar energy system. They’ve been totally dishonest and unprofessional.

Original review: June 20, 2020

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a short period of time and the service was excellent!

Tesla Energy Company Information