2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design and manufacture solar generation, energy storage and software products to enable homeowners to power their daily lives with sustainable energy. With Solar Roof, solar panel and Powerwall installations growing across the US, our customers are reducing their reliance on the grid, lowering their carbon impact and producing clean energy from the greatest resource we share.

BOTTOM LINE

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

PROS
    • Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design
    CONS
    • High upfront costs

Top Tesla Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing came out much higher quality than I could have expected. ... I would do it again, wouldn't change a thing.

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a short period of time and the service was excellent!

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
        Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
        Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
        Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
        X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
        Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
        How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
        The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
        What solar panels does Tesla use?
        Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
        Where are Tesla solar panels made?
        Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: March 17, 2021

I couldn’t not be happier with the system and install. Josh and his team were absolute professionals. They treated my home as if it were theirs. It was a 2 day install because the size of the system. (36 panels, 2 Powerwalls, 2 inverters, Gateway, etc.) They ran 1 conduit with the trim of my house from basement to attic. You can’t even tell if it was there! The plan was to put 33 panels on the back roof because that’s where all the sun was and 3 in front. They were able to fit the other 3 panels in the back which looks so much cleaner and there’s no solar panels in the front of my roof! Tesla also has different brackets so the panels are super low to the roof with a picture like frame to it. Also these panels are black so if you had to put them in the front they look awesome! They built a wall in my basement for the inverters, gateway, Powerwalls, and 2 electric panels. Everything was aligned and no wires showing at all!

After install they explained how the system works and answered all my questions. The peace of mind is priceless knowing that I will have power no matter what! Yes, when the power is out in your neighborhood you will still have power! No loud noises, refueling, or having to switch breakers. The switch to back up power is seamless. The only way you would know is if you check the app. I highly recommend them, I had 3 quotes and they were the cheapest and I think they price match too. The project was $39,100 but after tax credit and incentives I would 11,300. I live in Massachusetts and have National Grid as my electric company. Just go on their website and check it out. You can’t lose!

Original review: March 2, 2021

I decided to use Tesla for my solar panels after reading several positive reviews on the web. The process with Tesla has been easy and moves along steadily. I first submitted a $100 deposit over the web for the Tesla medium sized solar system. I then took some pictures of my breaker box and electrical meter along with my roof and uploaded them to Tesla all within a Tesla account. Tesla got the project approved with the city and utility company and scheduled the installation about 4 weeks after my deposit.

The installation of the panels took 6 hours. The crew came back two days later to install Tesla's new inverter box. The system did fail the city inspection process twice, once the city wanting a separate breaker for the meter, the second time the city wanting the meter completely outside the breaker box. Each time the Tesla crew came out the next day to make the upgrades. I paid in cash, also fairly easily by linking my bank account to my Tesla account. Presently I am waiting on the inspection by the utility company after which I may turn my system on. The entire process so far has taken eight weeks.

During this whole process I have had three door to door solar salesman from local companies come to my house. All of them seem to be spreading negative falsehoods about tesla service. The last salesman came after my panels were up and seemed to be in disbelief that I would choose Tesla for my solar system. When the Tesla crews come out I usually chit chat with them for a while. Locally here in El Paso, TX, Tesla energy has a crew of about ten employees. The recent disastrous Texas power outages did not affect El Paso. El Paso is on an energy grid with New Mexico, not with the rest of Texas. So El Paso Tesla sent five of its crew into Austin to install systems there.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Telsa Energy, was a very easy process from the website to the contacts. I did the quote online and they are able to do most of the work from pictures you send them of the electrical panels from pictures of your home from google earth. All the paper work was done online and easy to follow. I had looked at several solutions and Telsa's solution was the most affordable. The referral program is awesome and I wish I had someone send me the referral so I could have saved the $100. Since then I have sent the referral to several folks that are using it to get the estimates.

One of the great features is the app! Telsa gives you a gateway app with the battery install. At any time of day I can look at the app and see the power I am using. It helps me identify the key items using the most energy in the house, I can see as we use items how much energy they pull. I can also see the solar being produced and how the energy is being supplied. Whether Grid, Solar or Battery, and in the app you can set the time of use cost to help adjust for the best saving. Being able to use the power to charge battery when it is the cheapest and then using them when the power is the most expensive. Here is the link if interested: **.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I am writing this review for one major reason: To acknowledge an EXTRAORDINARY support agent at Tesla Home Energy that went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that my support issue was handled COMPLETELY in just one phone call with her! I had called Tesla on multiple occasions to get support on my High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) for my 2017 Tesla Model S 90D. I was getting an error (6 Red LED Flashes and wouldn’t charge my car) and after troubleshooting with another support agent a week prior, I got no resolution besides him saying he would notate my account for when I was taking my car into service the next week. When I got there, no one could help me with the charger, and they directed me to call Tesla Home Energy, wherein I THANKFULLY found LISSY.

Lissy was extraordinary. She was kind, friendly, didn’t make me feel like an idiot for bringing my physical charger to the service center hoping they could help, and most importantly, she was committed to getting my issue resolved on the first phone call with her. She was not ready to pass the buck, and it was incredibly clear that she meant business. - She was thorough, attentive, asked questions that were pertinent to solving my case, and made a point to listen to what was being said, so that I wouldn’t have to repeat any requests over and over again.

Within 25 minutes, I had exchanged pictures of the charger with Lissy, she was on top of getting the necessary info for me to send out my defective HPWC (which through testing and examination of the photos, she accurately diagnosed the issues at hand) and expeditiously handled the replacement with a new, updated version of the HPWC at no charge to me. If anyone at Tesla is reading this, you should know that Lissy is THE GOLD STANDARD for what Extraordinary Customer Service is really about. Have her train the entire staff! Seriously, I mean it, she is an absolutely asset to the company and I am extremely grateful for her, and Tesla’s service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I signed up for Tesla to install solar panels and 2 Powerwalls in July 2020. The system was installed on September 22, 2020, which was faster than I has expected. I did run into problems while waiting. I questioned why they didn’t recommend an upgrade with my main electrical panel which was only 100 amps. This issue was an installing problem noted, not only Tesla reviews but other solar companies as well. After several discussions, Tesla agreed that it would be best to upgrade the main electrical panel to 200 amps. I was told later that if I had not insisted that the panel be upgraded, they wouldn’t have installed the system on the day of my installation. My install date would have been pushed back.

One issue that I encountered with Tesla, was the misinformation given to me by a few of the employees. Most of their employees are very good. I was told that I could use the WPS button on my modem, since my password was lost. At the time of installation, I was told their system will not work with the WPS button. After I was finally able to get a password set up for my modem, I waited weeks for someone to help me with this problem.

Once I received word from PG&E, I turned on the system. I then shut down the PG&E powers and I lost total power in my house, even though I had 2 Powerwalls. The power should have stayed on because of the Powerwalls. I called Tesla and I was told I had to wait 1 ½ weeks for someone to check it out. I called back in one week. The customer support set up a service call and the system is now up and running. Overall I would recommend Tesla to my friend and neighbors. I would suggest if anyone is thinking about having a solar power system installed, you should review not only Tesla’s reviews but other company’s reviews too. When I reviewed all of the negative reviews from all companies, (only negative reviews) it gave me an education as what to ask for and what I may expect before my installation. Again, I would definitely recommend Tesla, for your solar needs and you should consider Tesla Powerwalls in your system.

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Original review: April 15, 2021

The Tesla service installer showed up exactly when they said they would. They were courteous and kind. Help me out with a one or two issues of my own and completed the job on time. I really appreciate the job that these guys did.

Original review: April 15, 2021

The team was great!!! From top to bottom. :) From Alex to Kayon and his 2 man team. Their work was excellent!!!! I still have some questions about my (SGIP program) Self-Generation Incentive Program. Like, I should have gotten it!!!!

Original review: April 13, 2021

The experience with Tesla Energy and especially their agent Corey ** was extremely pleasant. My wall charger was not responding properly and he handled the situation with professionalism and was very pleasant in doing so. He is a credit to the organization.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Arrived on time. Very efficient and communicative. Accommodated my request to move the inverter to leave room in the garage. Painted conduit to match the house. Cleaned up beautifully and the installation looks great.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Everything that could go smoothly did. The city and power company did not make it easy but Tesla did a great job working with them and made it a great experience. I would do it again and again but I only own the one home. Next I'll be getting my Model 3 and charging station and I'm set to go.

Tesla Energy Company Information