2. Solar Energy

3.5/5 (258 ratings)

About Tesla Energy

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design and manufacture solar generation, energy storage and software products to enable homeowners to power their daily lives with sustainable energy. With Solar Roof, solar panel and Powerwall installations growing across the US, our customers are reducing their reliance on the grid, lowering their carbon impact and producing clean energy from the greatest resource we share.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

Cons

• High upfront costs

Bottom Line

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

Top Tesla Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing cam...

Verified

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a ...

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
    Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
    Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
    Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
    X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
    Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
    How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
    The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
    What solar panels does Tesla use?
    Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
    Where are Tesla solar panels made?
    Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: April 28, 2021

The Tesla Energy installation team that completed my 36 panel install was amazing. These guys really took pride in their work, and it showed. The team of Joe, William (Willy?), Angel, Tim, Ivan, and another tall gentleman from Melbourne, had great customer service, knowledge of the install, and were just a fun group to be with. For some reason, Tesla told them my install would be done in 1 day, so they were a bit stressed at first. I had been informed it was a 2 day install, and they took a full 2 days to complete the job. But the job was completed on time and accurately. Great work team!

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I couldn’t not be happier with the system and install. Josh and his team were absolute professionals. They treated my home as if it were theirs. It was a 2 day install because the size of the system. (36 panels, 2 Powerwalls, 2 inverters, Gateway, etc.) They ran 1 conduit with the trim of my house from basement to attic. You can’t even tell if it was there! The plan was to put 33 panels on the back roof because that’s where all the sun was and 3 in front. They were able to fit the other 3 panels in the back which looks so much cleaner and there’s no solar panels in the front of my roof! Tesla also has different brackets so the panels are super low to the roof with a picture like frame to it. Also these panels are black so if you had to put them in the front they look awesome! They built a wall in my basement for the inverters, gateway, Powerwalls, and 2 electric panels. Everything was aligned and no wires showing at all!

After install they explained how the system works and answered all my questions. The peace of mind is priceless knowing that I will have power no matter what! Yes, when the power is out in your neighborhood you will still have power! No loud noises, refueling, or having to switch breakers. The switch to back up power is seamless. The only way you would know is if you check the app. I highly recommend them, I had 3 quotes and they were the cheapest and I think they price match too. The project was $39,100 but after tax credit and incentives I would 11,300. I live in Massachusetts and have National Grid as my electric company. Just go on their website and check it out. You can’t lose!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I decided to use Tesla for my solar panels after reading several positive reviews on the web. The process with Tesla has been easy and moves along steadily. I first submitted a $100 deposit over the web for the Tesla medium sized solar system. I then took some pictures of my breaker box and electrical meter along with my roof and uploaded them to Tesla all within a Tesla account. Tesla got the project approved with the city and utility company and scheduled the installation about 4 weeks after my deposit.

The installation of the panels took 6 hours. The crew came back two days later to install Tesla's new inverter box. The system did fail the city inspection process twice, once the city wanting a separate breaker for the meter, the second time the city wanting the meter completely outside the breaker box. Each time the Tesla crew came out the next day to make the upgrades. I paid in cash, also fairly easily by linking my bank account to my Tesla account. Presently I am waiting on the inspection by the utility company after which I may turn my system on. The entire process so far has taken eight weeks.

During this whole process I have had three door to door solar salesman from local companies come to my house. All of them seem to be spreading negative falsehoods about tesla service. The last salesman came after my panels were up and seemed to be in disbelief that I would choose Tesla for my solar system. When the Tesla crews come out I usually chit chat with them for a while. Locally here in El Paso, TX, Tesla energy has a crew of about ten employees. The recent disastrous Texas power outages did not affect El Paso. El Paso is on an energy grid with New Mexico, not with the rest of Texas. So El Paso Tesla sent five of its crew into Austin to install systems there.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I am writing this review for one major reason: To acknowledge an EXTRAORDINARY support agent at Tesla Home Energy that went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that my support issue was handled COMPLETELY in just one phone call with her! I had called Tesla on multiple occasions to get support on my High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) for my 2017 Tesla Model S 90D. I was getting an error (6 Red LED Flashes and wouldn’t charge my car) and after troubleshooting with another support agent a week prior, I got no resolution besides him saying he would notate my account for when I was taking my car into service the next week. When I got there, no one could help me with the charger, and they directed me to call Tesla Home Energy, wherein I THANKFULLY found LISSY.

Lissy was extraordinary. She was kind, friendly, didn’t make me feel like an idiot for bringing my physical charger to the service center hoping they could help, and most importantly, she was committed to getting my issue resolved on the first phone call with her. She was not ready to pass the buck, and it was incredibly clear that she meant business. - She was thorough, attentive, asked questions that were pertinent to solving my case, and made a point to listen to what was being said, so that I wouldn’t have to repeat any requests over and over again.

Within 25 minutes, I had exchanged pictures of the charger with Lissy, she was on top of getting the necessary info for me to send out my defective HPWC (which through testing and examination of the photos, she accurately diagnosed the issues at hand) and expeditiously handled the replacement with a new, updated version of the HPWC at no charge to me. If anyone at Tesla is reading this, you should know that Lissy is THE GOLD STANDARD for what Extraordinary Customer Service is really about. Have her train the entire staff! Seriously, I mean it, she is an absolutely asset to the company and I am extremely grateful for her, and Tesla’s service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I signed up for Tesla to install solar panels and 2 Powerwalls in July 2020. The system was installed on September 22, 2020, which was faster than I has expected. I did run into problems while waiting. I questioned why they didn’t recommend an upgrade with my main electrical panel which was only 100 amps. This issue was an installing problem noted, not only Tesla reviews but other solar companies as well. After several discussions, Tesla agreed that it would be best to upgrade the main electrical panel to 200 amps. I was told later that if I had not insisted that the panel be upgraded, they wouldn’t have installed the system on the day of my installation. My install date would have been pushed back.

One issue that I encountered with Tesla, was the misinformation given to me by a few of the employees. Most of their employees are very good. I was told that I could use the WPS button on my modem, since my password was lost. At the time of installation, I was told their system will not work with the WPS button. After I was finally able to get a password set up for my modem, I waited weeks for someone to help me with this problem.

Once I received word from PG&E, I turned on the system. I then shut down the PG&E powers and I lost total power in my house, even though I had 2 Powerwalls. The power should have stayed on because of the Powerwalls. I called Tesla and I was told I had to wait 1 ½ weeks for someone to check it out. I called back in one week. The customer support set up a service call and the system is now up and running. Overall I would recommend Tesla to my friend and neighbors. I would suggest if anyone is thinking about having a solar power system installed, you should review not only Tesla’s reviews but other company’s reviews too. When I reviewed all of the negative reviews from all companies, (only negative reviews) it gave me an education as what to ask for and what I may expect before my installation. Again, I would definitely recommend Tesla, for your solar needs and you should consider Tesla Powerwalls in your system.

Tesla Energy response

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I contacted Tesla in the spring to upgrade my solar system. It is fall now half a year later and although they were fairly quick to get it installed and get my money, they have fallen silent after that. I contacted the utility and they had never gotten the paperwork for permission to operate. I got in touch with this "advisor" who seems to be powerless to do anything and was told that they were busy. Not an excuse. I continuously hounded them calling every other day to check status till they finally submitted the paperwork.

Now the utility tells me there are errors in the forms and they have contacted Tesla but have heard back, Of course, do I wait another 3 or 4 months and hope they do something. I am planning on taking them to small claims court in the next week or two in hopes of at least getting my money back. I highly recommend not using using Tesla for solar. I don't know if their car division is run any better but it certainly makes me suspicious. Tesla does not answer emails. Apparently not from the utilities either. Good luck calling, leaving messages is useless as well.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Tesla's customer service sucks, it is non existent! I mean when you can get a hold of someone. I bought a home with Tesla solar already on the house in 2020. I took me 6 months to get someone to come out and check my system. When the Tech went on the roof, he immediately came down and shut my system down and said there was a serious wiring/connector problem. It took 3 weeks for a crew to come out and fix the issues. I also was complaining about my Solar City gateway, it transmitted to Tesla but does not transmit to any device, like my phone app. I have been asking for a new one and Customer service refuses. It's been over a year now, and I still can't get my malfunctioning internet gateway replaced. Why is this such a big deal? All I want is a replacement gateway, They keep arguing with me and say they don't do that. They get me so frustrated and angry, This is Customer service????

I also called and spoke to a Customer service rep about the three week shut down of my system, looking for a Month credit, they said they do not do that. I have to wait until 2022 when they evaluate their performance guarantee. I might get a credit then and maybe not. This company really has a lot to learn about customer service. It's becoming a monopoly and they don't care about their customers. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! I will NEVER recommend them - EVER!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Buying and install were painless. I was impressed by the efficiency and professionalism of the survey and install crew. Production has always been a little bit low compared to promise but not overwhelmingly so. After 2.5 years of use I got an email the system was down. During a phone call to troubleshoot I was told they needed to replace a part and I would be contacted the next work day to schedule. Nobody ever called. After a few days I reached out and couldn't really get an answer about the status of the repair. After a few weeks of trying back to find out what was going on a rep told me this part would take four to six weeks to arrive. I waited until 2 months passed the breakdown and reached out. Messages go unanswered and still no fix in sight. Tesla is still installing solar panels in my area so the part must be available. Given the opaque warranty customer service and performance of my system I would strongly not recommend.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

We had our solar installed today and the install crew was quick and very professional at every step. They arrived early and finished early despite it being scheduled for 2 days. Awesome company and I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Installers: 5-stars, Project Managers: 1-star. Tesla's local office to me (New Windsor, NY) installed my Solar and Power Walls. They were beyond awesome. 5-star friendly service and professionalism the whole way and good follow-up. They went above and beyond to make sure I was satisfied. However, dealing w/ the project managers has been dreadfully painful, those folks get 1-star (out of Las Vegas?). They are hard to get a hold of, don't communicate well, barely respond to emails, and are just the worst. Had the installers not been so incredible, my entire experience would have been a disaster and I would never choose Tesla again. Thanks to Frank, Basil, Tom, Drew, and the rest of the New Windsor crew who did my Solar + Powerwall installs.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Tesla Energy Company Information