Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy has redefined the way residential and commercial buildings harness the power of the sun. Tesla solar panels are easy to install and can radically impact your monthly utility bills and energy consumption.

BOTTOM LINE

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

PROS

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

CONS

• High upfront costs

Top Tesla Energy Reviews

... that did bring my frustration level down and won't waste my time again with their customer service folks who may want to help you but won't or cannot review your contract and relay what kind of situation you actually signed up for...

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $7,400 and $25,030.

• Small Tesla solar panels produce an average of 14 to 19 kilowatt-hours per day and are best suited for a 1,000 to 2,000 square foot home. The price for these, after incentives, is $7,400.
        • Medium-sized Tesla solar roofs produce an average of 29 to 39 kWh per day and are best suited for a 2,000 to 3,000 square foot home. The price for these, after incentives, is $13,320.
        • Large panels produce an average of 43 to 58 kWh per day and are recommended for homes ranging from 3000 to 4000 square feet. The price for these, after incentives, is $19,610.
        • The extra-large panels produce an average of 53 to 66 kWh per day and are best suited for homes over 4,000 square feet. The price for these, after incentives, is $25,530.

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
        Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
        How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
        The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $14,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
        What solar panels does Tesla use?
        Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
        Where are Tesla solar panels made?
        Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

Original review: March 3, 2020

My house is in escrow and I have been trying to get information on my Tesla solar system for the buyer. I created an account but couldn’t find anything about solar. All they talked about is their stupid freaking cars!! I will never buy a freaking tesla car just because of this. I called and the automated system kept referring me back to the stupid “enhanced” system at freaking tesla.com. If I could rip the stupid solar panels off the roof that came with the house when I bought the house I would. I wanted to give tesla a negative ⭐️ but there’s no button. Very disappointed!!!!

Original review: March 2, 2020

We installed a leased solar on our home in 2017 using their leased solar program. We had a leased solar unit on our former home & were able to transfer it to the new owners. That was in 2016. Since that time & particularly since the bailout of Solar City by Tesla owner Elon Musk there has been nothing but negative news on Tesla. We've had our current home on the market for over a year. It's a newer home in a 55+ community. We're retired real estate appraisers & know/understand the market well. The average marketing time in our community is 71 days with a 94.8% listing to sales price. We've had over 250 showings & walkthroughs & have not received even one offer! Tesla has migrated from the leased solar program to a Rental/Subscription program whereby solar panels can be installed by Tesla & if ever the owner wants them removed Tesla will do so for a cost of $1,500.

We have written numerous e-mails requesting Tesla to give us the same consideration as with their rental/subscription program & take the solar panels off in order to sell our home. We are retired on a fixed income & have health issues which necessitate selling & downsizing. We don't have the resources to pay the lease balance & now know no one wants to assume this lease. We also don't have the time & ability to get an attorney - real estate prices in Phoenix are increasing 8-10% a year & we'll soon be priced out of the market if we can't sell our home. Reading the many reviews we know we're not the only ones in this predicament - hoping someone comes up with a workable solution & can share it with us all.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My solar panels have not been producing so Tesla turned them off. During the interim they were still billing over $140/month while the panels were inoperable. In addition I also had to pay BGE $120/month which is less than I pay Tesla. In essence I was double billed. Tesla refused my early production guarantee and refused to rebate for the months the system was inoperable. Tesla's solar panels are definitely not worth the money!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Their proposal sounded good and I signed on the dotted line 5.5 years ago. The first few years were fine but after three years the panels are losing power and they will not come out to find out which ones are dead. They do an "even up" on the anniversary of the start up where I get money of they do not perform up to contract specs and I pay them if they over produce. The first two years I paid them but the last three they have paid me. And there is an escalation clause in the contract that raises my rates 2.9% every year.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They were very good at selling the system and telling me it would be a great system for my home. After the installation of the solar and batteries. It does not produce enough to charge the batteries which makes my 2 Tesla batteries practically useless. The solar will not charge them it completely. Now They say my system is underpowered for my batteries but I signed off for the system so it is my fault. Tesla believes I should use my power better. They would however sell me a second additional system that would power my home, well and charge the batteries after I have had this system 1 year. This is at an additional cost!!!

We have tried to get through all the customer service reps for months. They continue to say I bought the system, and it is performing as Tesla projected (solar only) and therefore there is nothing they will do. The batteries do not have a performance warranty as far of being a backup. I was told the size of system would be according to my power bill, and that would project my need. According to NV Energy they should have used 2 years of bills to figure out the need for my house. Tesla uses only 1 year. $ 30,000 later I am so screwed. I thought I was dealing with a reputable company that would support the customer and product, I was so wrong. DO NOT BUY TESLA PRODUCTS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: March 5, 2019

Where do I start? My current issue with this company involves my roof. I relocated a year ago and was forced to transfer the “contracted” panels to my new house. The panels were installed and now my roof is leaking. I have a home inspection report for the roof with no leaks prior to moving in. The same technician who cleared the roof for the install recently reinspected and now is telling me I need a new roof (the same man). Now they are trying to have me pay a fee to temporarily remove the panels so I can have the roof repaired (my cost). They’re stories change every time I talk to them if I get someone on the line. And this is only my current gripe with the company. I advise for everyone who has a problem with Tesla/SolarCity to shut the system of and gain their attention. They need the electricity from your roof more than you think to sell and pay their investors. Or just stay away from that kiosk at Home Depot.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

WE got our solar from Solar City, and never had a problem with them for 4 years. Since Tesla took over it's a mess. They lie and say they sent our true up check and have not. They even lied to the BBB! They are saying they sent a check and we have never received it. We have been waiting since March. We were behind payments but caught up and they said that's why they didn't pay us and even told the BBB that. Well we aren't behind now and still have not received a check. They even told the BBB in the beginning they were working on it. Oh and they also told us they laid off a lot of folks and had no one to sign a check. If anyone is interested in a class action suit against Tesla Energy, please email me **.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Originally has a remote Solar City rep do a plan for my house but I wanted somebody local. I found a rep through Home Depot to come out. I'll cut to it. He said I would produce 100% of my electricity based on my bills. The electric bills started coming in high. Worked with Solar City and got a lot of not helpful info like dust or shade issues. I gave 2 stars instead of 1 because after a year and writing a scathing survey, a manager from Tesla called and explained that my design is only configured to produce 59% of my electricity. That was sad news but prefer the honesty that I apparently did not read my contract and compare it to what I was told. Also that apparently when you have a loan in this case through Techcu, the electricity rate is charged higher like as if BMW charges me higher gas prices while I finance the car. Today I turned around and paid off the loan so will have to see if this is in fact true.

So for I am more than $22,000 into this experience and not saving anything so fingers crossed that the rate change after the loan has been paid off is a true scenario. I do believe that if this company wants to improve their rep, they need to have a way to have an honest non sales rep review the contract with the potential client so that the salesperson does not tell a not totally honest story. It started as an experience to be environmentally conscious into a very expensive mistake. I am still happy a manager did care enough about a poor survey to call. He did explain the real scenario vs what we were told. So believe it or not, that did bring my frustration level down and won't waste my time again with their customer service folks who may want to help you but won't or cannot review your contract and relay what kind of situation you actually signed up for. They also took the rebate.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Solar City installed solar panels in 2015. In July, 2017 a bad storm resulted in my having to put up a new roof. Solar City removed the panels and then reinstalled them on 12-27-17. My roofer did an inspection and informed me that Solar City had drilled through the new shingles thereby voiding both my roofer's warranty and the mfg warranty. I had my roofer replace the damaged shingles for $670. The proper way to install fall protection equipment is to lift the shingle, drill the substrate, attach the anchor and when finished, reattach the shingle intact. I have spent 3 months in phone calls and e-mails and Tesla (Solar City) has refused to reimburse me. My only recourse now is to go to Small Claims Court. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! THIS IS NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: March 20, 2018

We have a Tesla car and wanted to put in solar with the Power Wall for charging and back up. When we first contacted the local Tesla Solar team, we were originally told that the wait for the Power Wall was 12 months due to Tesla providing batteries to Puerto Rico. They then told us IF we bought the solar system from Tesla (we originally were going with a local vendor and just buying Power Wall from Tesla) they could get them in 4 months. So we signed an agreement (for $65K cash), paid the deposit and had the initial site visit. We were told to have our electrician meet with the installation team as we would need a separate sub-panel for the backup. All good. UNTIL we get a call 2 weeks later saying that there was a sudden "global demand" for the Power Wall and now it is 10 months to get them.

So let me get this straight, when we ORDERED the Power Wall it was 4 months and AFTER we ordered it suddenly had a surge in "global demand"? We dug a bit more and found out that the REAL REASON FOR THE 10 MONTH DELAY IS QUALITY ISSUES WITH THE BUILT-IN INVERTER OF THE POWER WALL 2. We are cancelling our order and requested that they cover the cost of our contractor. They would rather inflict a disastrous customer service experience (from someone who is a customer of the Model X) than do the right thing. If this is how they treat an existing customer, question how they would treat someone just buying solar. Disgusting.

Tesla Energy Company Information