2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.15/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy has redefined the way residential and commercial buildings harness the power of the sun. Tesla solar panels are easy to install and can radically impact your monthly utility bills and energy consumption.

BOTTOM LINE

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

PROS

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

CONS

• High upfront costs

Top Tesla Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing came out much higher quality than I could have expected. ... I would do it again, wouldn't change a thing.

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a short period of time and the service was excellent!

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
        Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
        Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
        Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
        X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
        Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
        How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
        The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
        What solar panels does Tesla use?
        Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
        Where are Tesla solar panels made?
        Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Telsa Energy, was a very easy process from the website to the contacts. I did the quote online and they are able to do most of the work from pictures you send them of the electrical panels from pictures of your home from google earth. All the paper work was done online and easy to follow. I had looked at several solutions and Telsa's solution was the most affordable. The referral program is awesome and I wish I had someone send me the referral so I could have saved the $100. Since then I have sent the referral to several folks that are using it to get the estimates.

One of the great features is the app! Telsa gives you a gateway app with the battery install. At any time of day I can look at the app and see the power I am using. It helps me identify the key items using the most energy in the house, I can see as we use items how much energy they pull. I can also see the solar being produced and how the energy is being supplied. Whether Grid, Solar or Battery, and in the app you can set the time of use cost to help adjust for the best saving. Being able to use the power to charge battery when it is the cheapest and then using them when the power is the most expensive. Here is the link if interested: **.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I am writing this review for one major reason: To acknowledge an EXTRAORDINARY support agent at Tesla Home Energy that went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that my support issue was handled COMPLETELY in just one phone call with her! I had called Tesla on multiple occasions to get support on my High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) for my 2017 Tesla Model S 90D. I was getting an error (6 Red LED Flashes and wouldn’t charge my car) and after troubleshooting with another support agent a week prior, I got no resolution besides him saying he would notate my account for when I was taking my car into service the next week. When I got there, no one could help me with the charger, and they directed me to call Tesla Home Energy, wherein I THANKFULLY found LISSY.

Lissy was extraordinary. She was kind, friendly, didn’t make me feel like an idiot for bringing my physical charger to the service center hoping they could help, and most importantly, she was committed to getting my issue resolved on the first phone call with her. She was not ready to pass the buck, and it was incredibly clear that she meant business. - She was thorough, attentive, asked questions that were pertinent to solving my case, and made a point to listen to what was being said, so that I wouldn’t have to repeat any requests over and over again.

Within 25 minutes, I had exchanged pictures of the charger with Lissy, she was on top of getting the necessary info for me to send out my defective HPWC (which through testing and examination of the photos, she accurately diagnosed the issues at hand) and expeditiously handled the replacement with a new, updated version of the HPWC at no charge to me. If anyone at Tesla is reading this, you should know that Lissy is THE GOLD STANDARD for what Extraordinary Customer Service is really about. Have her train the entire staff! Seriously, I mean it, she is an absolutely asset to the company and I am extremely grateful for her, and Tesla’s service.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I had Tesla's Solar + PowerWall battery system installed in my home and I couldn't be happier with the system as well as the entire installation process. Initially I had some questions regarding the size of the panels that would be used on the system, as the original plans called out 315W panels, but the system as sold would have required a 340W panel to meet the advertised production capacity. Ultimately I got through to a Tesla representative who was able to help and they indicated Tesla was in the process of transitioning to the 340W panels and that was what would be installed on my house. On installation day, the team showed up with 340W panels and had 48 panels + 4 powerwalls installed in 2 days. The only frustration I had was how long it took my energy company to finally give permission to turn the system on (which of course is no fault of Tesla's)! Delighted with the results thus far!

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I signed up for Tesla to install solar panels and 2 Powerwalls in July 2020. The system was installed on September 22, 2020, which was faster than I has expected. I did run into problems while waiting. I questioned why they didn’t recommend an upgrade with my main electrical panel which was only 100 amps. This issue was an installing problem noted, not only Tesla reviews but other solar companies as well. After several discussions, Tesla agreed that it would be best to upgrade the main electrical panel to 200 amps. I was told later that if I had not insisted that the panel be upgraded, they wouldn’t have installed the system on the day of my installation. My install date would have been pushed back.

One issue that I encountered with Tesla, was the misinformation given to me by a few of the employees. Most of their employees are very good. I was told that I could use the WPS button on my modem, since my password was lost. At the time of installation, I was told their system will not work with the WPS button. After I was finally able to get a password set up for my modem, I waited weeks for someone to help me with this problem.

Once I received word from PG&E, I turned on the system. I then shut down the PG&E powers and I lost total power in my house, even though I had 2 Powerwalls. The power should have stayed on because of the Powerwalls. I called Tesla and I was told I had to wait 1 ½ weeks for someone to check it out. I called back in one week. The customer support set up a service call and the system is now up and running. Overall I would recommend Tesla to my friend and neighbors. I would suggest if anyone is thinking about having a solar power system installed, you should review not only Tesla’s reviews but other company’s reviews too. When I reviewed all of the negative reviews from all companies, (only negative reviews) it gave me an education as what to ask for and what I may expect before my installation. Again, I would definitely recommend Tesla, for your solar needs and you should consider Tesla Powerwalls in your system.

Tesla Energy response

Original review: June 14, 2020

Tesla has a compact and efficient battery. It fits inside a cabinet of your house, you attach it against a wall, it is flat and white. You have to plan to leave space around it, about 10 inches all over. Nothing can touch it, it needs breathing space. It is very esthetic, it is easy to hide. The Tesla battery is clean, it is not a toxic and dirty battery like the regular one. It comes with 20 year warranty I seems to remember. It is a long lasting battery, it is expensive to buy but since you don't have to replace it every 5 years, in a long term it works well. You can monitor all solar installation, your usage, your production via an app from your cell phone. It is very practical when you are not at home and even more when you are at home since you can monitor your daily consumption and organize your daily usage around it. I highly recommend it. I had 12 panels installed 4 years ago on my roof, I selected Tesla as a battery and cannot be happier.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Tesla never ceases to amaze. My solar experience from inception to installation was superb. The technology behind their entire process is superb. It really alleviated the need to ever talk to a person however the assigned Project Advisor was always only a text or call away. The installation team was prompt and professional which is exactly what you would expect from a brand such as Tesla. This experience has made me look at more of their product offerings and I can’t wait to embark on my next Tesla journey.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Team arrived on the day and time promised. Answered all my questions and did a very high quality installation which was above my expectations. My only disappointment was to learn on the day of installation that if I installed the battery and equipment inside my garage my local ordinances required concrete polls to also be installed to prevent a vehicle from running into it. This was not the fault of the installation team, I should have been told by my Tesla advisor. Other than that I am totally satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Tesla made the purchase and installation of solar/battery storage extremely simple. Their reps were in contact with me throughout the process and replied quickly to any questions that arose. Installers were very respectful and cleaned up after themselves. They also did a great, clean install and took the time walk me through the system and how everything works.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Just had my two new PowerWalls installed and they are working exceptionally well. Totally love them and really appreciated the install team. They arrived on time and were incredibly thoughtful and professional. The icing on the cake was a completely new circuit breaker panel. This was not expected and really makes me love the system even more.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Everything from the quoting, installation to customer service were great. All target dates were spot on and communication with my project manager was easy via text. I would recommend their service to anyone!

Tesla Energy Company Information