2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy has redefined the way residential and commercial buildings harness the power of the sun. Tesla solar panels are easy to install and can radically impact your monthly utility bills and energy consumption.

BOTTOM LINE

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

PROS

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

CONS

• High upfront costs

Top Tesla Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing came out much higher quality than I could have expected. ... I would do it again, wouldn't change a thing.

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a short period of time and the service was excellent!

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
        Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
        Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
        Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
        X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
        Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
        How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
        The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
        What solar panels does Tesla use?
        Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
        Where are Tesla solar panels made?
        Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: June 24, 2020

Put system on about 5 years ago as a rental when it was Solar City. I don't think I'd do that again. As Solar City actual people were available for questions and assistance but since Tesla took over not so much. Still have a large "true up" amount due every year to PG&E, so the panels aren't producing enough energy for our needs. "True Up" is a yearly payment made directly to PG&E. We pay Tesla monthly for the energy we produce on our panels at a lower rate than PG&E. I wish we had investigated further.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Tesla has a compact and efficient battery. It fits inside a cabinet of your house, you attach it against a wall, it is flat and white. You have to plan to leave space around it, about 10 inches all over. Nothing can touch it, it needs breathing space. It is very esthetic, it is easy to hide. The Tesla battery is clean, it is not a toxic and dirty battery like the regular one. It comes with 20 year warranty I seems to remember. It is a long lasting battery, it is expensive to buy but since you don't have to replace it every 5 years, in a long term it works well. You can monitor all solar installation, your usage, your production via an app from your cell phone. It is very practical when you are not at home and even more when you are at home since you can monitor your daily consumption and organize your daily usage around it. I highly recommend it. I had 12 panels installed 4 years ago on my roof, I selected Tesla as a battery and cannot be happier.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 2, 2020

This company gave me hope for the future. I sincerely seen them start making electric cars, affordable transportation, bill free power for homes, I have been amazed. It is tech like this that will save the future. We will see poverty end, dreams be made, potential be nurtured, crime rate go down, dreams come true, we may even get an answer to that age old question "why are we here." The Tesla Solar Panels for the Roof are my current favorite. I've been looking into them. I know they could change the face of small struggling towns in America. Just imagine placing the cost of an energy bill back into the pockets of struggling families. They will be able to spend more on food, education, in their local economies, its wonderful. We own that to Tesla. We need to encourage America to follow their example.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. The entire process was totally taken care of for me. I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing came out much higher quality than I could have expected. The crew are professional and extremely respectful to my dog. I would do it again, wouldn't change a thing.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I had heard of Tesla Solar from others and they all had good reviews on them so I decided to go with them. The customer service was great. I always felt my questions were answered. As far as the service and products, I have no complaints. It was as expected. This has saved me tons of money. Guaranteed I had to put out money but in the long run I would be saving much more. I would suggest others to try them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Over the weekend I ordered an 8.16kW Solar Panel setup for my home and paid the $100.00. After going through sending pictures I was sent my design plan for approval. To my dismay they designed a 6.12kW system with a big green button to click to move forward. Not one thing was said about any problem with sizing (I have over 524sqf available). Feeling they were trying to bait and switch, I cancelled the order.

Today I was notified by Matt V, that they needed to put a few panels in front of my roof but I didn't want that... Nobody ever asked as I would have been all for it. Whoever designs these systems should have picked up the phone and said "hey there isn't room, can we put 2, 3 5 panels over the front? or actually had someone come out and do some measurements when a customer is serious (I was paying cash for this system and was ready). By communicating they would have saved the sale.

Tesla Energy response

Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for any inconvenience. We have had an agent reach out to address these concerns and provide a better experience moving forward. Thank you supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I know you see the 1 star and the title but I want to start off this post by saying I love Tesla cars. I have had a Model S since 2015 and I love hearing about Tesla’s success. When the solar panel price dropped in July 2020 I jumped on the bandwagon happy to support Tesla again. I called family and friends to recommend them adding solar as well. I regret that now and will be telling everyone I can about the worst experience I have had will a company in over a decade…They need to work on their solar side.

1) The initial process was wonderful and even installation was a positive experience. Those installing the panels were great, courteous and knowledgeable…wait, isn’t that it. Shouldn’t I be happy…. 2) The first problem started on day 1 of 2 with the installation. See Tesla doesn’t mention this on their website or even call you beforehand, but pest abatement is extra. This is where they put mesh around your panels to ensure squirrels and birds don’t get in. The cost depends on your size but the original price was $1,500 for the large solar panels…a little much in my opinion and it did feel like a little bait and switch. Also, by going through Tesla it would cover you if any pests did get in. I was told that one chewed wire would cost $700 to fix. If this was the end of the matter I would have still been happy.

3) I confirmed that I wanted the pest abatement on the second day of the install and they said they would send out a new addendum to the contract. The installers added it. Wonderful, all good. My loan went through for the original price and I was just going to pay Tesla up front for the $1,500 extra when I got the bill. Then… Tesla got paid and everything went silent (they also sent a survey out which I regret giving 5 stars on now).

For THREE weeks Tesla did not send any paperwork to my utility company to complete the setup…no solar power, no savings, just paying the loan for something that is not working. Also, it takes the utility company ~4 weeks to turn on the system once they get the paperwork. Tesla has all the paperwork but did not send it. Their excuses:

1) I did not sign the updated contract with the pest abatement…Well, they admitted they forgot to send it. It took them another week to send it…Tick tock, no paperwork to the utility company…
          2) When they finally did send it the new price was $2,250…Yep, they increased the already absurd number. They said they would fix it….Another week later and still the wrong price…Tick tock, no paperwork sent to the utility company.
          3) Also, during this entire time no one would respond to my calls. You are given one contact (mine was Bever-leigh **) and she would not respond to any of my calls. I did receive one email after 5 days saying the problem would be fixed in a week or so. There is no one to escalate any issues to good luck.

4) When I finally got ahold of Bever-leigh, the excuse was they were really backed up, oh, and my calling was only slowing it down more. I am blown away that it is so difficult to send three electronic documents to a utility company.

Anyways, my installation was on July 28th, 2020 and it is now September 1st. Tesla is not going to send the paperwork because they are backed up and the pest abatement contract needs to be signed. They will get to fixing the contract in a while. Considering the slow progress, horrible customer service, lack of ability to escalate I do not expect to have the paperwork over to my utility company till mid Sept with a potential to have this system on by mid-Oct. My suggestion, go with a local company. They have more skin in the game, better customer service, and the ability to actually get a hold of someone even after you pay them. Oh, and all those recommendations to friends, family and neighbors are gone. My sister-in-law bought them but I am going to try my best to stop anyone else from dealing with this company.

Tesla Energy response

Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Please check your review inbox for more information so we can better assist you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

We originally had the solar panels installed by Solar City and never had a problem with them. Ever since Tesla took over it has been nothing but problems. The gateway where we are supposed to be able to check our solar production has not worked since Tesla took over. They have sent people out to try and fix it, but finally just said that it doesn't work and there's nothing they can do, so we can't check our production. We just received our 2-month electricity bill and noticed there was no solar production credit, so we called Tesla. They told us that our panels are not producing anything.

We scheduled a service appointment and were given a date 2 weeks away. When nobody ever showed up, we called back. It took several days of being on hold for hours at a time to finally speak to someone. We were told that there had never been a service call scheduled, even though my husband had the call on speaker phone and we both heard that we were scheduled for 8/27/20. We were given a new service date on January 4, 2021!! It is currently August 2020.

They said there is nothing they can do, that is their first available date. We asked to speak to a supervisor and were told that he could could give her a message and she would call us back when she was ready. I would NEVER choose to do business with this company and if I had any idea that they would be taking over Solar City I would have gone with a different company.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I never have that highly electronic bill before since I have solar panels my bill go up like unbelievable??? I know what to do in future when I don't have a job. Right now my job in bad situations. About to run out of job.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

A very professional and thorough process. Installation was very quick (under 5 hours for the large system) and flawless. System looks great compared to others. App always works, makes me money every quarter and zero electricity bills.

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Tesla Energy Company Information