2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.76/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy has redefined the way residential and commercial buildings harness the power of the sun. Tesla solar panels are easy to install and can radically impact your monthly utility bills and energy consumption.

BOTTOM LINE

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

PROS

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

CONS

• High upfront costs

Top Tesla Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing came out much higher quality than I could have expected. ... I would do it again, wouldn't change a thing.

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a short period of time and the service was excellent!

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
        Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
        Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
        Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
        X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
        Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
        How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
        The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
        What solar panels does Tesla use?
        Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
        Where are Tesla solar panels made?
        Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I had Tesla's Solar + PowerWall battery system installed in my home and I couldn't be happier with the system as well as the entire installation process. Initially I had some questions regarding the size of the panels that would be used on the system, as the original plans called out 315W panels, but the system as sold would have required a 340W panel to meet the advertised production capacity. Ultimately I got through to a Tesla representative who was able to help and they indicated Tesla was in the process of transitioning to the 340W panels and that was what would be installed on my house. On installation day, the team showed up with 340W panels and had 48 panels + 4 powerwalls installed in 2 days. The only frustration I had was how long it took my energy company to finally give permission to turn the system on (which of course is no fault of Tesla's)! Delighted with the results thus far!

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I ordered my system online on 9/1/2020. It was installed on 10/26/2020. Permitted on 10/28/2020 and I'm waiting on PTO from PGE. Overall 2 months from my selection to permit being finaled was super quick. They installed it in 1 day. Everyone I dealt with at Tesla Energy was really helpful and super nice. I know Tesla saves tons of money by not having traditional salespeople or marketing and most everything is done online and I was a little concerned originally about how it would be to work with them. It was a great experience. Easy to call and connect if I needed to. Originally the date given to me was 11/20/2020 but I asked if I could have it sooner and the Friday before they called me and asked if they could install it Monday so I did that. I've only had it for a few days now so it's still early but overall great service. Thank you.

Tesla Energy response

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I signed up for Tesla to install solar panels and 2 Powerwalls in July 2020. The system was installed on September 22, 2020, which was faster than I has expected. I did run into problems while waiting. I questioned why they didn’t recommend an upgrade with my main electrical panel which was only 100 amps. This issue was an installing problem noted, not only Tesla reviews but other solar companies as well. After several discussions, Tesla agreed that it would be best to upgrade the main electrical panel to 200 amps. I was told later that if I had not insisted that the panel be upgraded, they wouldn’t have installed the system on the day of my installation. My install date would have been pushed back.

One issue that I encountered with Tesla, was the misinformation given to me by a few of the employees. Most of their employees are very good. I was told that I could use the WPS button on my modem, since my password was lost. At the time of installation, I was told their system will not work with the WPS button. After I was finally able to get a password set up for my modem, I waited weeks for someone to help me with this problem.

Once I received word from PG&E, I turned on the system. I then shut down the PG&E powers and I lost total power in my house, even though I had 2 Powerwalls. The power should have stayed on because of the Powerwalls. I called Tesla and I was told I had to wait 1 ½ weeks for someone to check it out. I called back in one week. The customer support set up a service call and the system is now up and running. Overall I would recommend Tesla to my friend and neighbors. I would suggest if anyone is thinking about having a solar power system installed, you should review not only Tesla’s reviews but other company’s reviews too. When I reviewed all of the negative reviews from all companies, (only negative reviews) it gave me an education as what to ask for and what I may expect before my installation. Again, I would definitely recommend Tesla, for your solar needs and you should consider Tesla Powerwalls in your system.

Tesla Energy response

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I went into my purchase with the understanding that Tesla's Solar program had lackluster customer service. I was fully prepared for a drawn our process and difficulty accessing real people for updates. I was actually surprised with the responsiveness overall and the timeline from initial order to completed install and Utility interconnect was about 3 months. Not bad given the number of horror stories out there. The price I was quoted was the price I'm paying and the process was fairly simple, but communication could still have been improved. I went weeks without knowing that a form I was having difficulty accessing was holding up the process when Tesla's site told me it was awaiting permit. There's room for improvement, but from what I can tell they are taking steps to improve the user experience. I would recommend them to others as long as their installation scenario was reasonably simple.

Tesla Energy response

Original review: June 14, 2020

Tesla has a compact and efficient battery. It fits inside a cabinet of your house, you attach it against a wall, it is flat and white. You have to plan to leave space around it, about 10 inches all over. Nothing can touch it, it needs breathing space. It is very esthetic, it is easy to hide. The Tesla battery is clean, it is not a toxic and dirty battery like the regular one. It comes with 20 year warranty I seems to remember. It is a long lasting battery, it is expensive to buy but since you don't have to replace it every 5 years, in a long term it works well. You can monitor all solar installation, your usage, your production via an app from your cell phone. It is very practical when you are not at home and even more when you are at home since you can monitor your daily consumption and organize your daily usage around it. I highly recommend it. I had 12 panels installed 4 years ago on my roof, I selected Tesla as a battery and cannot be happier.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

The installation staff has been on top of everything, super responsive (it takes less than a day to get someone to fix issues with installation) and they are on top of communications. Can't beat the beat the price as they come in way lower than every other solar company. The sales staff and design team take a bit of time which had me worried in the beginning but once that part was completed, everything has been smooth. The few issues that came up in the installation were addressed within hours of being detected. I have been incredibly happy with my experience with Tesla so far.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Inverter has been broken for two months. Still waiting for replacement. I have gotten no response from service agent Denis **. Prior to this I was considering adding more panels but now there is no way I would use solar city again. I'd appreciate recommendations on other companies that can add a second system that works with the power wall system I have. I wish I had used a different company. So many local companies to work with.

Tesla Energy response

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience. Please check your review inbox for more information so we can better assist you.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

The website has a lot of information but you can always talk to someone on the phone. I found that the same individual followed up with me multiple times via email and voicemails which was nice because they knew my exact needs and I didn't have to explain myself over and over again to different people. Once my order was placed everything felt like it was fast tracked and the Tesla account is your main hub for what to expect and to sign documents. I was assigned a Tesla rep who I could text or call at any time with questions. You can schedule all appointments via your Tesla account and they handled everything from beginning to end including permits and scheduling inspections. The local crew installed a medium-sized solar array and two power walls in half a day.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Beautiful install within one month of signing up for solar to completion. Tesla handled everything from permits to the local energy company. Other companies quoted 4-6 months, Tesla did it in one. The product uses solar optimizers and the panels look great installed. This is the 12 kw system, 36 panels.

Tesla Energy response

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Tesla’s (Incomplete) Solar Panels project: (9 June - 18 November, 2020; five plus months and still counting!) I am in the midst of a solar-panels installation project with Tesla. I have chosen Tesla, being the most reputed solar company and having vast experience in harnessing solar power with the latest technology. I enrolled with them on 9 June 2020 to install solar panels for about 4 kw power.

It took about five months, from June to October 2020, to complete all the paper work and getting the required permits from my electric company ComEd, local village authority, as well as the HOA. On November 6, 2020 Tesla agreed to install the solar panels. The Tesla crew team came in the morning at the prescribed time and started the project in earnest. After working for a couple of hours on the back-side roof of my home, the team leader reported that his team would not be completing the installation as they find the roof too steep. They contacted the Tesla project coordinator who agreed with them and stopped the project on the pretext of not endangering the staff. Accordingly, the work was stopped and they uprooted the installed inverter and main switch board and walked off the job.

In this context, I must state that the Tesla team was assigned to install solar panels on a roof having a standard architectural design and a pitch of 45 degree which is most prevalent in the Midwest and NE parts the United States. Moreover, the roof was a relatively new one and was installed in November 2014. I took up the issue with the Tesla company and asked them to re-consider their decision keeping in mind the standard roof design and this being a relatively new one. As of date, 18 Nov. 2020, Tesla has now agreed to re-schedule the incomplete project and install it, fully, this time. This all was made possible only after spending multiple hours on phone conversations as well as sending numerous emails to various sections of Tesla. Now, the new date given by Tesla for installation is December 14, 2020.

Problem with Tesla is that there is no single point of contact (SPOC) who I should be dealing with directly. In hindsight, it would have been much easier to deploy a local company having much better experience around your area and who you can contact directly with a single call. I’ll post my final report after getting the project completed by Tesla.

Till then!