3.2/5 (249 ratings)

About Tesla Energy

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design and manufacture solar generation, energy storage and software products to enable homeowners to power their daily lives with sustainable energy. With Solar Roof, solar panel and Powerwall installations growing across the US, our customers are reducing their reliance on the grid, lowering their carbon impact and producing clean energy from the greatest resource we share.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

Cons

• High upfront costs

Bottom Line

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

Top Tesla Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Choosing Tesla Energy was an easy and simple decision. ... I didn't have to tighten a single screw myself after the installation and I still haven't needed to. The whole thing cam...

Verified

While the price seems to be a bit higher, at least in my experience, the overall quality is absolutely worth it. I have no concerns about anything not working or breaking after a ...

What is Tesla Energy?

Tesla Energy has quickly become a leader in the solar industry with innovative products like solar panels, inverters, Tesla Powerwalls for solar storage and an app that lets you monitor your service from a mobile device. Tesla Solarglass roof tiles offer a sleek and durable way to convert sunlight into reusable energy seamlessly.

Tesla solar panels are low profile, have no visible grid and attach tightly to your roof and each other for a sleek and unassuming aesthetic. These innovative solar panels are durable and covered by a strong warranty, but they may not be the best option for homeowners who want a cost-effective solar system. Customers also have numerous complaints about the company's customer service.

Tesla solar costs

Depending on the size of your home and the amount of solar power production you need, Tesla solar systems cost anywhere between $6,068 and $24,272.

SizesPrice before incentivesPrice after incentives
    Small (12 panels — 4.08 kW)$8,200$6,068
    Medium (24 panels — 8.16 kW)$16,400$12,136
    Large (36 panels — 12.24 kW)$24,600$18,204
    X-large (48 panels — 16.32 kW)$32,800$24,272

Tesla solar installation

It typically only takes one day for Tesla to complete a residential installation, but it may take the company’s technicians two or more days to install large or extra-large panels. Your home's power is only out for one to three hours during installation. Someone 18 years old or older must be present when the technicians install equipment inside your home.

Tesla solar warranty

Tesla Energy offers an impressive warranty program for its solar panels. The panels are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and Tesla also includes a 12-year workmanship guarantee. The inverter comes with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and the installation is guaranteed to be free from defects for 20 years.

Tesla FAQ

How do Tesla solar panels work?
    Tesla solar panels capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity by running it through an inverter. By using the Tesla app, you can monitor your energy usage on any mobile device. If your panels produce more energy than your house needs, you can keep the excess energy in a Tesla Powerwall, which is a rechargeable home battery.
    How much is a Tesla Powerwall?
    The cost for two Powerwalls and the supporting hardware is around $11,000. This price doesn't include solar installation, taxes or permit fees. Tesla recommends buying two Powerwalls for homes smaller than 4,000 square feet. Your final design and price are based on your home energy usage and where you would like your Powerwall installed. The Powerwall is self-charging and can provide your home with seven days of energy during an outage.
    What solar panels does Tesla use?
    Tesla uses black panels with proprietary hardware that fastens the array on your roof without gaps or the need for large racks. Tesla partners with Panasonic to manufacture the panels in the Tesla Gigafactory 2. SolarCity merged with Tesla in 2016 and now offers energy storage services through Tesla.
    Where are Tesla solar panels made?
    Tesla manufactures its solar panels at the Tesla Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, New York.

Are Tesla solar panels worth it?

Tesla Energy produces high-quality solar panels covered by a generous warranty, but the company’s customer reviews state that it isn't very responsive to complaints and issues. Tesla Energy products may be worth it if you are already considering a roof replacement and can pay the relatively steep upfront costs.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I went through the process with a different installer and ended up backing out and going with Tesla. I love how the panels integrate with the car app and how you get a visualization of the power as it moves in and out of your home. The power graphs are awesome and I love needing out on seeing my daily rates. Installers and team were very professional and nice. The panels look very sleek and the inverter looks classy. They put the panels on the roof where they weren't visible from the front (per request). Where I can see them from the side, they look amazing. Honestly kinda regret not putting them in the front to show them off, but it's pretty awesome they provide that option.

Tesla had cheapest price per watt in my area. By far. Happy with the process, features and look. Long term I'll see how their support and panels hold up, so no feedback there as it's a new install. My one complaint is that they are no longer selling batteries as a standalone product. I opted out of the power wall (despite really wanting it) to keep the costs lower. I would like to get one after I pay off the system and when home battery technology has improved - but might have to go with a diff brand if they don't change their policy by then. Or I may just buy additional panels then with the batteries. Overall, very pleased. Only knock is the battery policy, so I hope they change that - would like to include that in the future even if it's not discounted or whatever. My wife is already annoyed at me for checking that power app every hour.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Updated on 08/09/2021: Everyone knows Tesla solar panel and power walls - I agreed that they are fine product but the issue is always with people who are handling them. I am glad that I ordered solar panel and power wall (2ea) and they are working great but panel installation crew did fine job over all with panel installation except one panel’s screw (securing panel to roof) was loose that I was able to lift it with my finger (wow) and not so good with clean up and found two damaged roof tiles - even though they replaced some damaged roof tiles - they still left some damaged tiles as they were and did even bother to let me know. It was verrry shocking experience.

I am sure Tesla will fix that but why can they do better job (installation) by fixing it before customer found the messy and so upset with it and affects customer’s future buying decisions on their products. But I liked the electricians (3 gentlemen ) who did great job - installed power wall and electrical boxes.

Original Review: I really recommend this company for your solar panel and power walls. You must have power walls with solar panel. Crew came on time and completed job within time frame. You cannot go wrong with Tesla.

Tesla Energy response

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience. We understand your concern and are actively working towards a solution for your issue.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2021

The Tesla Energy installation team that completed my 36 panel install was amazing. These guys really took pride in their work, and it showed. The team of Joe, William (Willy?), Angel, Tim, Ivan, and another tall gentleman from Melbourne, had great customer service, knowledge of the install, and were just a fun group to be with. For some reason, Tesla told them my install would be done in 1 day, so they were a bit stressed at first. I had been informed it was a 2 day install, and they took a full 2 days to complete the job. But the job was completed on time and accurately. Great work team!

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I couldn’t not be happier with the system and install. Josh and his team were absolute professionals. They treated my home as if it were theirs. It was a 2 day install because the size of the system. (36 panels, 2 Powerwalls, 2 inverters, Gateway, etc.) They ran 1 conduit with the trim of my house from basement to attic. You can’t even tell if it was there! The plan was to put 33 panels on the back roof because that’s where all the sun was and 3 in front. They were able to fit the other 3 panels in the back which looks so much cleaner and there’s no solar panels in the front of my roof! Tesla also has different brackets so the panels are super low to the roof with a picture like frame to it. Also these panels are black so if you had to put them in the front they look awesome! They built a wall in my basement for the inverters, gateway, Powerwalls, and 2 electric panels. Everything was aligned and no wires showing at all!

After install they explained how the system works and answered all my questions. The peace of mind is priceless knowing that I will have power no matter what! Yes, when the power is out in your neighborhood you will still have power! No loud noises, refueling, or having to switch breakers. The switch to back up power is seamless. The only way you would know is if you check the app. I highly recommend them, I had 3 quotes and they were the cheapest and I think they price match too. The project was $39,100 but after tax credit and incentives I would 11,300. I live in Massachusetts and have National Grid as my electric company. Just go on their website and check it out. You can’t lose!

Original review: March 2, 2021

I decided to use Tesla for my solar panels after reading several positive reviews on the web. The process with Tesla has been easy and moves along steadily. I first submitted a $100 deposit over the web for the Tesla medium sized solar system. I then took some pictures of my breaker box and electrical meter along with my roof and uploaded them to Tesla all within a Tesla account. Tesla got the project approved with the city and utility company and scheduled the installation about 4 weeks after my deposit.

The installation of the panels took 6 hours. The crew came back two days later to install Tesla's new inverter box. The system did fail the city inspection process twice, once the city wanting a separate breaker for the meter, the second time the city wanting the meter completely outside the breaker box. Each time the Tesla crew came out the next day to make the upgrades. I paid in cash, also fairly easily by linking my bank account to my Tesla account. Presently I am waiting on the inspection by the utility company after which I may turn my system on. The entire process so far has taken eight weeks.

During this whole process I have had three door to door solar salesman from local companies come to my house. All of them seem to be spreading negative falsehoods about tesla service. The last salesman came after my panels were up and seemed to be in disbelief that I would choose Tesla for my solar system. When the Tesla crews come out I usually chit chat with them for a while. Locally here in El Paso, TX, Tesla energy has a crew of about ten employees. The recent disastrous Texas power outages did not affect El Paso. El Paso is on an energy grid with New Mexico, not with the rest of Texas. So El Paso Tesla sent five of its crew into Austin to install systems there.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

1. It will take almost one year for the solar panel to.

2. It will take forever for customer service to get back to you.
      3. I don't know how Tesla covers roof warranty if they don't even get back to me on simple questions.

4. Don't pay in full. They will ignore you.

I initiated the process November 2020. End of August, solar panels were installed. November 2021 supposedly just got the utility approval but I reached out to utility in September, they claimed they had everything set up but Tesla delayed the process. Now January 2022, no single watt was produced. Reached out to Tesla multiple times, one rep get back to me say they are waiting for tier 2 dept to do some work. Then someone reached out ask why I need to remove power wall. I simply ask them to find out why my solar panel doesn't produce energy. I don't even have power wall. I don't know when this solar panel will actually act as one.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I purchased Power Wall one year ago. I had a very old electrical panel. Tesla worked with me for one year. I was very annoyed that they’re taking so much time but in spite of every difficulty they placed a new panel free of cost and established my PowerWall. I am so impressed. No company had to do anything what they did for me. I would recommend highly tesla power wall to anyone and the app is so cool. You can really save a lot of money on your electrical bill. Thank you

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I filled out the online form to get solar panels, one of the first questions is what type of roof do you have. I selected TPO from the drop down menu. Took over a month to get designs drawn up. I messaged the online chat through my account to find out what was happening, no one replied. 6 weeks later I got some designs and wanted to ask how the panels were attached to my TPO roof. Again no one replied to the chat through my account. I went in to a store and asked what was happening they said they'd try to send a request to the call center, I never had a reply.

I had received a text message from someone called Rina ** when I first signed up so I reached out to them via text to ask my questions. They didn't reply but someone called Carmine who was covering for Rina did and told me to send a message through my account. I explained I'd been doing that for months and no one was replying. Carmine didn't respond to my text. I sent an infuriated text message asking to speak to a Supervisor. Finally Rina responded and asked what my questions were, after a week and me following up again Rina said they don't install solar panels on TPO roofs.

I asked why I was able to get so far with the application if that was the case they said it was a mistake on the computer. I am so utterly disappointed with how useless this company is. I thought Tesla would be decent company and I can't quite believe it is Tesla because they are so awful and feel the solar team must be a company that they outsource to. How could someone selling solar for Tesla not know what roofs the panels can be attached to? How could I spend months going through an application process when my roof is disqualified, something that was established on day 1? Why did not a single person ever respond to the messages through the account chat? Do not use this company. They do not care and are beyond useless!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Had solar panels installed just before the end of the year. Great experience with the installation team as well as customer support team (Stacey in particular) who have done a great job helping me understand the app and its functionality. Very knowledgeable, helpful and patient.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

First of all the customer service to deal with any kind of problems with your panels takes months. I have been dealing with customer service for nine months. I was told by my insurance company I needed a new roof and they never should have installed. After having the panels up for a couple years in the year of 2021 during Covid my entire roof was leaking. When I contacted customer service of help and told him that my insurance company told me that this should’ve never been installed and now I have a leak several three I heard crickets from months even though I was going back-and-forth on an email never actually talking to a human being.

It is now December 30, 2021 and today they are putting up the panels and I was billed for the past few months that they were off because I had to get a new roof. I was billed for energy of $200 when the panels are not even hooked up. I have asked several times for Tesla to take down the panels and help me pay for a new roof or half the roof due to the negligence And taking advantage of a single mother by putting these up without seeing that I already needed a new roof. Therefore the panels I was told by the insurance company and my roofer we’re sinking my roof down and created the where in tear of life three huge leaks in my house. As of this date 12/30/2021 Since March 2021 I’ve only gotten four emails back-and-forth. They will not take responsibility. Even when they have to take down the panels they left it all on my floor in my backyard and I don’t want to be held responsible for the negligence again.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Tesla Energy Company Information