3.7/5 (450 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Tesla Energy

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design and manufacture solar generation, energy storage and software products to enable homeowners to power their daily lives with sustainable energy. With Solar Roof, solar panel and Powerwall installations growing across the US, our customers are reducing their reliance on the grid, lowering their carbon impact and producing clean energy from the greatest resource we share.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Good warranty
    • 24/7 access to backup power
    • Sleek design

Cons

• High upfront costs

Bottom Line

Tesla solar panel designs are modern and aesthetically pleasing. Tesla solar roof tiles are up to three times stronger than traditional roof tiles. Upfront costs are high, but the warranty exceeds industry standards.

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Original review: May 18, 2022

We are very thankful for our Tesla Power Walls and especially the efforts of Stacey **, Specialist, Las Vegas, NV who patiently answered my questions, guided me through detailed steps in a way I could fully understand, she's a true teacher - kind, thoughtful and very knowledgeable in her skill set. She is terrific at her job. You can tell she likes and is interested in her work so much that she made it fun for me to understand. Great technical and customer service. She is definitely management material if she isn't already. A++++++

Original review: May 12, 2022

Received an invoice from an address in Calif. Got a call three weeks later wanting me to stop payment, at my cost, and send payment to somewhere else. I love the product. I am appalled at the billing professionalism.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I got Tesla Solar panels installed, inspected and fully paid in Nov 2021. It is mid-May 2022 now and my system is still NOT powered on. Extreme delays at the Tesla department which processes applications with utility company and no point of escalation. "Project Advisors" are of no use in this situation. They have very little info and no points for escalation. Their supervisors have no control, voice and way to communicate with the team processing the utility applications. They cannot even tell where I stand in the queue of applicants.

Also, they cannot even compensate for the utility bills I am paying as a result of Tesla delays. I shouldn't be paying peak summer electric bills as I have a fully paid solar system sitting on my roof but it is not operational due to Tesla delays. After several weeks of chatting with their Project advisors, I was told today that it might take another 2+ months to get my system working. Which means I will be paying peak summer electric bills even with a fully paid solar system sitting on my roof. This is ridiculous! Anyone thinking of solar investment, please DO NOT consider Tesla or wait until Tesla figures out the situation with their backlog processing.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Besides the long wait time which I can understand (shortage of parts or whatever) everything was okay until they take the down payment. They install the system and then require payment and will not turn on the system until then. So naturally I paid them. That's when everything goes downhill. They literally will not answer any calls or messages. They complete ghosted me. READ THE REVIEWS PEOPLE. I didn't and that was my mistake. I have a Tesla vehicle and made the mistake thinking the service would be the same. IT'S NOT.

Avoid Tesla Energy Solar at all cost. Go with anyone else or you'll be in the position am in. Out the money with no functioning solar to show for it. I have started to paperwork with Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich. At this point I can only assume they will never turn it on and I've been scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars.

Original review: May 6, 2022

It's such a great experience to have Powerwall installed and activated with our Solar panels. It's the same Tesla app we can both manage Tesla cars and visualize our energy production and consumption. We were told by the installer that Tesla Powerwall and especially its software are the best in the industry of backup batteries. Now we have convinced! In terms of Powerwall as a battery, there're a few others with similar features. But Powerwall battery management software absolutely the best. It makes energy storage and energy consumption back and forth smoothly, with no downtime. Again Tesla app visualizes everything. It's fun! Thank you, Tesla, for acquiring Solar City years ago, and together making the world greener.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I had solar panels with two power walls installed. Crew was polite, left area clean both days of installation. Did everything online but, I had access to an assigned specialist. Highly recommend you get the backup battery system also. The "Goblin" crew is awesome.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Today I had the pleasure of having Tesla solar panels installed on my roof. Anthony and his crew were the absolute best. They turned up on time, clearly communicated what was involved, and set about diligently executing the tasks at hand, even finding solutions to some challenges that unexpectedly cropped up, delivering to my satisfaction. More than anything, it was a pleasure to work with a strong crew of guys who co-operate and collaborate to deliver a quality job. They have a great dynamic that brings a joy to the job and that makes all the difference. At the end of the day, the guys were able to test the panels, and we had success! We cheers'd with sparkling water (Bubly Coconut Pineapple) and they left with me, a very happy customer, thrilled to have solar installed. The whole process with Tesla has been very easy to manage, with lots of communication and options. I highly recommend choosing Tesla solar for your home.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Refuse to accept responsibility. So many problems with my system, they just keep ignoring me thinking I will just go away. Problem with Permission to operate (have 3 dates), app not working correctly, inverter went out. Took 7 months to repair. 7 appointments, 5 no shows with no contact to let me know.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Rich and his entire installation team arrived on time and were very personable, accommodating and professional. Even before they started the work, they took the time to listen to concerns and I couldn’t be happier with their impeccable customer service and attention to detail! Thanks Tesla!

Original review: April 20, 2022

It has been over a year since placing the order. Until the order was placed the salespeople were very persistent and punctual. Installation was done in next 3 months. Debugging of faulty installation was abandoned after a couple of attempts. Was told to continue with permission to turn on stage while they continued maintenance. They got paid fully. They kept telling me they're waiting for permission from utility company. IT WAS A LIE. They consistently lied to me for about 6 months when they hadn't even submitted the paperwork to the utility company. After I started contacting utility company and questioned Tesla about no application being pending for my address, Tesla admitted to have not submitted any application. They submitted the application 6 months later while I had paid them and was also liable for the utility bill caused by Tesla's blatant negligence and fraud of Tesla. It has been 9+ months since the installation and there is still no end in sight.

Tesla claims to have submitted the paperwork over 2 months ago and if that was the case I should have received the approval by now. The project coordinator from Tesla keeps changing and many of them don't even bother to check on the status and when asked they just provide boilerplate responses which are mostly lies. I have requested copies of all the communication between Tesla and my utility company on by behalf and yet to receive them. Recommendation: use a local contractor even if they cost a little more. At least you'll have a working system. Do not sign off on the full payment until you get permission to turn on.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I started the application process back in Nov 2021 and had a tech come out to verify the installation in early Jan 2022. We’re now in April 2022 and there’s no updates from Tesla on status except for the website. I have tried emailing and calling. No one responds to the emails. On the call, no one knows why there’s a delay except that they will follow up the project coordinator and then no follow up. It’s unbelievable how they can continue to operate a business with this type of customer service. I know I always have the option to consider another vendor hence detailing my experience with Tesla Energy for other potential customer to consider.

Original review: April 12, 2022

The Tesla Energy team is awesome!! They have always been responsive from the day I placed my order and were accurate in timing. The team that came out on install day saw some issues with the project but they were quick and decisive on what they needed to do to make it work. I was impressed on how they worked on the fly and the team behind the scenes informed me on how it changed timelines and what it could affect. Overall, I would recommend the Tesla to anyone looking for Solar!

Original review: April 8, 2022

Multiple leaks in roof due to solar panels being installed improperly resulting in rotting plywood and trusses. Tesla resealed solar panels in December (still leaking) but won't get back to me regarding other repairs. Waiting for my roof to collapse. Stay away from Tesla Energy. They only care about making money.

Original review: April 7, 2022

I cannot believe the level of professionalism and expertise from the Tesla installation team and behind the scenes staff. Additionally, they're hard-working, and very fast/efficient at what they do. Kudos to Shane and Mike - both held my hand through the entire process from installation to power on - and everything in between. I even texted Mike after hours and he responded with detailed information about my concern (which turned out not to be a concern after all!). All-in-all, the system is phenomenal, as is the staff and installation teams behind it. Good job to all.

Original review: April 6, 2022

The Tesla Solar experience has been incredibly positive. Kylo Ren and Dooku installed my panels and power walls respectively and they were all incredibly professional, helpful, timely and went out of their way to make the experience wonderful.

Original review: April 5, 2022

The head crew for installation and electrical were kind and knowledgeable. They explained what would happen and even completed the job before the deadline. There were multiple crew members and they worked so well with each other.

Original review: April 3, 2022

We were so pleased with the installation teams that came out to put the panels on and do the electrical work. So friendly and professional. They kept us in the loop the entire time via messages, emails and in person. The app is really great, seeing how the entire system is functioning and control. I am so glad we went with Tesla!

Original review: April 2, 2022

We had a straightforward solar panel installation for our home via Tesla that started in early 2021, and as of now in April 2022 it’s still not complete (despite having paid already). Every step of the way has been problematic because of poor customer service, and as a result we would never recommend Tesla to anyone for solar. Here are just a few examples:

Missed appointments with no explanations. On the other extreme, scheduling appointments with no notice and no way to change except “call this number."

Poor follow-up on permitting with the city (I ended up having to do much of the legwork with the city myself).

Scheduled permit inspections and didn’t show up, leaving the inspector angry and me missing work for nothing.

Absolutely horrific communication with project managers and service agents. I get random text messages every couple weeks, each time from seemingly a different number, informing me of certain updates, asking questions, scheduling appointments, etc. Replies are never returned. It’s like a black hole. Email communication is slightly better, but it’s rarely clear to whom to address questions. To this day, I’m still not sure how to get support but they do have a phone number that has worked.

Installers installed circuit breakers backwards, frying three of our home’s circuits. Tesla did pay to address this.

The design placed power walls in a way that was afoul of code for our city. They only informed me after installation, and then essentially suggested that I not mention it to the inspector and see if they wouldn’t notice.

We still don’t have approval from our utility to turn on the system, even though we submitted the forms many months ago. Every time we ask Tesla, they say “nothing we can do”. They also made mistakes on the forms, and we had to correct them.

There’s more but I’m too tired of writing. Long story short: horrific customer service, do not recommend.

Original review: April 1, 2022

The Tesla team showed up on schedule and began to work. My power was off for only just over an hour, so I didn’t need to crank my generator for my refrigerator. The crew was friendly and professional. Everything went without any issues. Their work looks great. They were finished before 1:00pm, and I was generating power.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Worst experience, system is not up since last 5 months. Tesla Energy is not able to resolve the issue, I have been following up multiple times. They just don't know how to fix the problem, and they have the worst customer service, which can only schedule the next appointment, without giving any relevant ans. Stay away from Tesla Energy.

Original review: March 21, 2022

How do I file a complaint against Tesla Energy? Our solar was never turn on for the past two year due to their poor customer service. Now, they refused to refund or credit our account. We have been paying for the service or energy that was neither performed nor produced. I called the CSM million times. They told me they can't escalate the issue and we have to just accept whatever they have decided. We paid over 2K. This is unfair and absurd.

Original review: March 18, 2022

The Tesla crew just completed installing my solar roof. The team was friendly and professional. The roof looks fantastic, and I’m already self powered as they complete cleanup. They walked me through how to control my power, and have already scheduled inspection.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I have a S model Tesla and have been a big fan. I was excited to go off the grid and get the solar panels in addition to my car. What a mistake. Telsa service was great when they were selling me the system. Once it is up, forget about getting any service. My solar system has been up 2 months. I have been making payments on it, but it is not working! I have tried to call Tesla multiple times, but it is hard to get anyone on the phone to help you. I informed them I was going to get a local company to get my system running and the Telsa employee said if I did that I would void my warranty. To summarize, I bought a 50k dollar system that doesn't work and I can't get anyone from Telsa to come get it running. Very unhappy.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I finally went with the Tesla Solar Roof (tiles not panels) and I couldn't be happier. I needed a new roof anyway so decided to get it with 2 PowerWall backup batteries. The product looks amazing and IMO is the best looking solar product on the market right now. You cannot tell you have solar tiles at all. From a distance it looks like slate. Very smart. The install crew were amazing! They battled bad weather including freezing temps, rain, wind and snow in NJ in Feb/March! It did not deter them, and they got it done on time and were communicative the whole time. Shout out to Martin ** & Jimmy ** and their whole crew! Their electricians are also very detail oriented and do a great job of hiding things as best they can. The Powerwalls work seamlessly and the app showing usage is mesmerizing. You cannot tell when you are on battery versus, solar versus grid. No flickering, stuttering or anything. Just seamless power delivery. Highly impressive!

Some things to keep in mind: I will say that Tesla's solar product line and what they do/do not support is changing by the minute, definitely get things clear with your project supervisor. For instance, I have 5 skylights and originally was told they would replace them for me. Then was told they don't do that service anymore. But eventually they honored it because of when I originally put in my inquiry.

Also their engineers will probably design the roof around protrusions without suggesting they be moved, as they don't want to handle the moving of them, such as vent pipes. So definitely suggest those things and get them taken care of by another roofing contractor before the install starts and it could mean more usable roof real estate. I also got upgraded to the latest tiles that are a higher wattage, so the size of my system went up. It's bleeding edge tech and so is changing all the time. So far, I have been very impressed with the people and the technology and would highly recommend Tesla Energy.

Original review: March 9, 2022

The "Falcon Heavy" team from Tesla Energy just finished my Solar Panel and Powerwall installs and they were from start to finish fantastic. I have had a lot of projects on my property lately; insulation, plumbing, electrical and landscaping. The Falcon Heavy team rolled in in good spirits and incredible professionalism. Every team member I interacted with was great and when it came time to talk to me about the project they went to great lengths to make sure I was comfortable with understanding everything. Great experience from start to finish.

Original review: March 7, 2022

The website was easy, the quotes beat all others, the paperwork all done online, the project managers were knowledgeable. The install team of Captain Hook and Grey Beard were efficient, and excellent craftsman.

Resolution response: May 22, 2022

After several more calls on the phone with Tesla I finally learned that the issue was that I had not had my backup switch installed. I am unsure why this took so long for them to figure out, and why they weren't able to tell me that sooner. Anyway, after I knew that was the issue it was still a couple months before they actually installed the backup switch.

At one point they told me that they were just waiting to hear from my utility company because they needed to be there for the installation--that Tesla was ready to go as soon as they heard from the utility. So I called my utility company and they told me that they were waiting for a permit from the city. I called Tesla back and tried explaining to them what the utility company told me and it was like talking to a brick wall. The representative I was speaking with didn't seem to think it was possible that it was somehow Tesla's fault that the switch hadn't already been installed. So it was several more phone calls and emails.

At one point, the utility company emailed Tesla and CC'ed me indicating that they were waiting for Tesla to take the necessary next steps and that I had been waiting a long time for the installation. Finally, about a week ago, the switch was installed and I could start generating power.

However, the electrician from Tesla who was there to perform the installation told me that there was an issue with something called an MCI (can't remember what that stands for) and because of that issue, only one half of my roof was generating power. He said that they'd need to send out the roofing crew to take a look at the power lines that were run along the roof. So the next day the roofing crew came out and took a look and told me that there was no issue with the roof and that it was an issue with one of the junction boxes and that the electrician would need to come back and inspect that.

Just yesterday they came back with a roofer and an electrician and discovered that it was actually a software issue. So now my roof is functioning properly.

I am happy that the matter was resolved, but I still believe that the customer service experience with Tesla is far too complicated and stressful and I do not recommend using Tesla products for the simple reason that their customer service is a nightmare. I would not wish on anyone the experience I have had working with them (which really feels more like fighting with them than cooperating with them).

They are quick to blame other people and not take responsibility for things that are their fault. Some of the representatives are rude instead of patient. There is horrible communication. I dislike being transferred multiple times because they think they know what department I need but then that ends up being the wrong department. Overall, it was just a huge headache. I like the roof, but I hate dealing with the company.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I was really excited to get a solar roof before I ever signed up. I had wanted one since I first heard about it and was just able to afford it now. The first issue was the gutters. Before I signed up, I chatted with a representative in the in-web chat and asked about gutters. I was told that the construction team would remove the gutters prior to installation and replace them afterwards. However, when the construction team finished they left my old gutters in my yard and did not install new gutters.

When I asked my project manager about it, I was told that Tesla does not install gutters. They gave me the name of a contractor and when I had someone come give me a quote I was told their gutter system was incompatible with the Tesla roof. I called Tesla customer service and told them about it. They gave me a different contractor to reach out to. I did and they said they’d be able to install gutters. Another thing I asked them about was that when Tesla installed the conduit that leads out of my roof to my Powerwall, they left a piece of soffit missing. I had asked Tesla about it multiple times and they said they would fix it but they never did, so the gutter company fixed it for me.

A month after installation I still had not received permission to operate, so I asked Tesla about it. They told me that my utility company had sent a document that I needed to sign. When I contacted my utility company about it, they told me that I had already signed the document but that they needed Tesla’s signature. So Tesla was blaming me for a problem that was really their fault. I let them know this and forwarded the email from my utility company to them indicating that. After a week or so I got an email from my utility company saying that the paperwork had been signed and they would send someone out to install a net meter, necessary for exporting power to the grid. After that installation I received an email from my utility company granting permission to operate. That was near the end of January.

I proceeded to turn on all the switches that my installation team told me to turn on and assumed my roof was producing power. I could not get my Tesla app to work and show me how much power my system was generating. I called customer service about it and they said that I didn’t have permission to operate. I forwarded the email I got from my utility company indicating the permission. Another day on the phone, being transferred multiple times to different departments, I spent two hours on the phone and it seemed like we were close to finding the solution to the problem.

After speaking with several representatives that clearly had no idea how to help, I finally spoke with one who did seem to be able to help. However, we encountered a problem that she was unable to solve. I was told that my system was registered incorrectly and the registration had to be removed and redone properly. She said that she would reach out to a guy she thought could help and then call me back later that day. She never called back.

Since I was tired of spending so much time on the phone with them, I decided to try email. I emailed them about it, giving the specific error message I was receiving. I received a reply indicating that they would be able to solve the matter within 7-10 business days. That was two weeks ago, so it has been more than 10 business days. I asked for a status update and was told that due to a large backlog of tickets I would need to wait longer. I expressed frustration at having to make loan payments when my system isn’t even working and received a snarky reply from the representative.

It has been nearly three months since my system was installed and still it is not generating power. I called them again yesterday and was told the same thing—that another team had to do something to fix my problem. I asked if I could talk to someone on that team over the phone and was told that it was not a customer-facing team so that would not be possible. I really wanted to like the system. I think it’s a great product. But the fact that their customer service is so terrible, unhelpful, and even rude, I cannot recommend using Tesla for home solar generation.

Original review: March 3, 2022

The solar panels were installed in August (NJ). The township inspected and approved in September. I promptly paid the invoice (> $10k) and they still haven’t sent the COA to the utilities (PSE&G). I call the project advisors every other week for updates only to get empty promises. Nobody cares to follow up the case. There’s no communication between the departments. It has been almost 6 months and the solar panels hasn’t been turned on! This is the worst home project experience of my life. DO NOT GO WITH TESLA SOLAR. You will be better off with local installers.

Original review: March 2, 2022

The Tesla team was so on point with their solar panel installation. They arrived on time at 7:30 am and proceeded to review with me what their plans were. If they had any updates, such as turning off the power, they immediately gave me a heads up. After installation, they reviewed with me what they did and how to read the meters. Overall the install only took 6 hours. I was extremely impressed with their knowledge and service for the San Fernando Valley team, led by Joey.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Tesla crew was great thru installation; Tesla planning missed some details (didn’t know we had sprinklers, but those are code required, and didn’t address sprinkler orientation (no available plans) almost derailed project - however, once key employee returned it worked out. But project could have been unnecessarily terminated without completion if I hadn’t continued to reach out about the project planning lapses. Since this is a new installation we do not yet have any experiences, but the App that allows controls and settings seems to work well, and is easy enough to use. We are excited about our energy saving options going forward, and on site support has been great so far.

Tesla Energy Company Information