2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.15/5

Take a Solar Energy Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy has redefined the way residential and commercial buildings harness the power of the sun. Tesla solar panels are easy to install and can radically impact your monthly utility bills and energy consumption.

Take a Solar Energy Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Tesla Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla Energy?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
        Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

System installed on time, but took 3 days instead of 2 due to production shortages. Paid for system in full. After installation, Tesla sent PTO (permission to turn on) in about a week, but city meter wasn't even installed yet. After city installed meter, system was turned on but doesn't work. Tesla did not activate the inverter. Unable to get a hold of scheduling -- wait time more than 1 hour, and after 2 days nobody has called me back.

Tesla Energy response

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience. Please check your review inbox for more information so we can better assist you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Initial paperwork and customer service was easy and took minutes. Installation was high quality and they cleaned up the space nicely. They replaced a few tiles on my roof and installed 16.32 kWh array in two days. The install crew was great! Very friendly and hardworking. And Tesla solar cost half as much as other estimates! I challenged other companies to math their price and they were unable to get close. It was a perfect experience. The array looks great and works perfectly. I had another system installed in my other house last year and it cost twice as much and was a pain. Not with Tesla solar. Really glad I chose them!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Perses crew did an amazing job. Rank them an 11 out of 10. Clean & very professional in every way possible. Met the deadlines and did very clean job start to finish. Installed 36 solar panels in 2 days.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Tesla makes it very easy to order solar panel and backup. Just enter your address, provide electricity bills and specifications of key appliances such as central air conditioners, water pump, heating system etc. and the computer will design the system for you. In my case, it was 8.16 kwh solar panels with 2 Powerwalls. I personally liked it and proceeded with the purchase. The advisor assured me the designed system was sufficient for my needs. It will provide electricity and crucially for me, in case of power outage it will provide for "6 Days Backup Duration". This is a direct quote without any qualifying remarks taken directly from Tesla's website.

Now that I have had the system for several months, I find it to be wholly inadequate. Should there be an extended power outage, the two Powerwall batteries are not nearly enough to provide power for a day, much less for the stated 6 days. Yes, if we do not use the heating system, refrigerator, freezer and just limit ourselves to several lights, then it might make it to six days. But that is not why I went with this unit instead of opting for a whole house gas generator. Well, the sun will provide some electricity - not necessarily. We had a snow storm and the panels did not produce a single watt for four solid days.

My complaint is that I did not talk to the same advisor more than twice and none suggested that the computer designed system was a bare bone system that would not provide power for six days. A well trained salesperson would have explained the system to me and suggested that for peace of mind I should go with the next larger system - 12.24 kW solar panels and 3 or perhaps even 4 Powerwalls. Then it would have been my decision whether or not to order a larger system. So far, we have not had any power outage and the system is working as expected. But I shudder as to what might happen should we loose power for several days during a snow storm. How do I justify to my wife that I spent three times as much on the solar system as a whole house gas generator and, while the neighbors have power, we are sitting in the dark?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

These are the grade I gave in each step of process. I actually like the the process till the last one.

A The coordinator is responding fast.
        A The crew came to install is effective and polite.
        A The Tesla’s inspector shows up ahead of city inspector. And city approved.
        A Tesla collect the full payment from my bank.
        A The utility company approved interconnection.
        A Called the tesla support to turn on the inverter. The operation led blinks and no AC generated.

F Tesla admits there is problem and will send service on 1/27/2021.

I called the support to ask for an earlier appointment, they reply Tesla’s doesn’t guarantee the performance! Hmm, this is not about performance. It is not a good sign to practice business in the right way.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Recently had solar panel and power wall installation by Tesla. At first I had hesitation on utilizing them for my solar needs, but with the prices other competitors were offering, Tesla was the most cost effective. Once I sent off my $100 deposit, everything was pretty much straightforward, everything was handled electronically (which is very convenient) and the staff was very proficient in their job. I highly recommend them!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Added two power walls to solar panel installation. Techs were great communicators. Installation was clean and well done. Highly recommend Tesla Energy. Job was completed on time. Just waiting for inspection to turn on system.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

My Tesla solar implementation has been a nightmare. My panels were installed in early September of this year, and once I paid the large invoice, Tesla stopped updating me on the progress of the interconnection with my energy company. When I could actually get a response from my advisor, she provided vague and ever-increasing timelines for completing the grid interconnection. I ended up calling my energy company and discovered that my Tesla advisor had been deceiving me and the delays were caused by Tesla's errors in the application process. After this I had to send multiple emails to get Tesla to solve the issue. After all that, it still took over a month of me project managing and working directly with the energy company to get a two-way meter installed.

My Tesla project advisor has essentially abandoned me. The energy company finally installed my new meter last week so now, in theory, I can turn on my solar system, but again, my project advisor is ignoring my emails and my Tesla system is still showing as pending in the Tesla system when I try to manage it. Do not buy a solar system from Tesla.

Tesla Energy response

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

The installation staff has been on top of everything, super responsive (it takes less than a day to get someone to fix issues with installation) and they are on top of communications. Can't beat the beat the price as they come in way lower than every other solar company. The sales staff and design team take a bit of time which had me worried in the beginning but once that part was completed, everything has been smooth. The few issues that came up in the installation were addressed within hours of being detected. I have been incredibly happy with my experience with Tesla so far.

Tesla Energy response

We’re glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing and supporting the mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Inverter has been broken for two months. Still waiting for replacement. I have gotten no response from service agent Denis **. Prior to this I was considering adding more panels but now there is no way I would use solar city again. I'd appreciate recommendations on other companies that can add a second system that works with the power wall system I have. I wish I had used a different company. So many local companies to work with.

Tesla Energy Company Information