4.51/5

Looking for the best solar energy company?

Dividend Solar

At Dividend Solar, we believe that solar energy is the future of our country, which is why we are committed to offering a better way for our homeowners to go solar. With our $0-down financing, you can save money on your utility bill from day 1.

We continually strive to provide each of our customers and partners with the highest quality solar experience. With a simple, paperless application process, we can pre-qualify homeowners in just a few minutes -- all from the comfort of your home.

There has never been a better time to go solar. And now, with Dividend Solar, there has never been a better way.

View More View More

Looking for the best solar energy company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Dividend Solar Reviews

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I appreciated the ease and speed of getting financing approved for my solar system. The whole process was pretty painless and I would recommend Dividend to others to finance their solar systems. I have a small payment each month and look forward to the savings.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I found that getting financing from Dividend was quick and easy. I’m a new customer to solar power, and while I’m still waiting for Idaho Power to do its part to start my solar power, my experience with Horizon PWR, namely, Preston and Mat, and the folks at Big Dog Installers, has been very good. I highly recommend these folks. They are connected to Dividend Solar, which was quick to provide the green light with financing.

Dividend Solar response

Hi M, Thank you for your review and for posting a photo of your solar as well! We are happy to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 11, 2019

Easy to work with, hardly any problems. My only complaint is that it's tedious to make a non-scheduled extra payment, especially if you do it regularly, for you have to add your checking account information each time. Is it a deal breaker? No. Just the only thing I would like to see improved in the future.

Original review: March 9, 2019

From start to finish the process was outstanding. The salesperson explained the product and the procedure for getting financed. After inputting my information it didn't take more than 10 seconds to get approved. This was the best experience I have ever had getting something financed.

Original review: March 3, 2019

The application process was very easy. I have been interested in getting solar since I was in high school. They made my experience so nice. Now I will have solar on my home, supporting my house for many years to come, all thanks to Dividend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dividend Solar?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

They made the financing experience easy, and the installers were friendly and professional. I would recommend them for getting a solar system installed on the roof of your home. They make the experience pleasant.

Dividend Solar response

Hi Patrick, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for posting some photos as well. We are delighted to hear about your seamless financing experience with us!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

My advice to anyone looking to finance solar would be to avoid this company. I sold my home in June 2019, all fees were paid, including the investment incentive and assumption fee. Dividend continues to send me an invoice requesting payment although there is nothing owed and the new owners are now making the payments on the solar. I have sent communications (both phone and email) on multiple occasions and do not get a response.

I am receiving late payment notices for a payment that is not due. Dividend’s website claims to make things easy and that they offer “first class customer service”. This is simply not true. There is no customer service and dealing with them has been nothing but a massive frustration since June. Save yourself the hassle and work with a company that takes pride in taking care of their customers from the beginning to the end of the process. Dividend Finance is not a company to do business with.

Dividend Solar response

Hi Barry, Thank you for leaving a review and providing us with the opportunity to better serve you. We are sorry to hear about your experience and understand how this could be frustrating. Could you please send us a private message with your last name and the best phone number to call you at, so that someone from our Customer Success Team can reach out and resolve this issue? Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND!! We got solar a few months ago not expecting to sell our house. We have not been able to sell our home because Dividend Finance (who Nerd Power uses) has declined two of our buyers wanting to take the solar over (buyer has a 778 credit score). Whoever installed the solar also broke numerous tiles on our roof which we never would have caught if it wasn’t for an inspection. They did come fix that but talk about integrity. Would never get them again and if you’re planning on selling a home in the near future DO NOT DO IT. Now we’re unable to build our home since they have denied every buyer that is preapproved for a 300k home.

Dividend Solar response

Megan, Thank you for your taking the time to provide us feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience and understand how this situation could be frustrating. Loan assumptions can be tricky, as we require the same criteria to underwrite new customers as we did for you initially. There are a lot of factors we take into consideration during this process, as we have discussed previously. Our team would be happy to discuss this with you further, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Solar Energy is a joke and I learned it the hard way. Especially if you finance, these solar financing companies are nothing short of predatory lender, such as Dividend Solar. Provisions such as:

1. You must keep possession of the panels at all time.
      2. You may not remove the panels, even if you sell your house.
      3. You can't sell the panels to cut your losses.
      4. If you lost your job / home value dropped -- too bad, you must come up with cash to pay the solar company / lender or you can't close your home (because they won't work with you. They put a lien on your home EVEN EVEN THOUGH the panels aren't a part of your home).

5. YOU MAY LOSE YOUR HOME if you run into financial difficulty.

These people will make you believe your home value will go up, but what they don't tell you is that statistics show little value added to your home. In fact, only a handful of states / cities have pro-solar policies and the rest of them, in fact, makes it difficult for you to sell a solar-roofed home. You bought your dream house and firmly believes that you'll live there "forever", but soon you realize the company you work for isn't doing well and there will be cuts. What am I getting at? THE FACT THAT there's no such thing as "staying here forever". YOU ARE AT THE MERCY OF YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES.

Like you, I was an adamant believer of a sustainable world, but having gone through my own solar ordeal, I now firmly believe these people do not share the same passion. They care nothing about the world or its sustainability -- all they care is to get your money. So if you have some extra $40K cash to burn for the betterment of the world, definitely, by all means do it, but if aside from being "green", you want a little bit of financial benefit, DON'T DO IT. Despite what they lead you to believe, you aren't going to get even a shred of financial benefit!

Dividend Solar response

Hi Ryan, First off, we would like to say that we are sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, you cannot transfer your solar panels from one home to another for a number of reasons which we have previously discussed. This is why we offer our customers the opportunity to transfer their loan to the new buyer if they prefer not to pay the loan off in full before closing on the house. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at (844) 805-7100 if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

CONSUMER FRAUD!? If there is a worst company to do business with, it's probably in HELL. I have a Solar System financed thru Dividend Finance. I pay $63 per month, auto pay, for the first 16 months, the monthly payment will go up to $103 for the rest of the 20 year loan. My average Electric bill last year was $62 monthly. The salesman promise.."No More Electrical bills and Money in your pocket, rebates and credits to offset the $15000 Loan." GREAT DEAL, now I have 2 bills and a 20 Years Loan.

The Dividend Finance Loan and Installation Contract was signed on November 1 2018. The contract calls for the installation of 11 Trina Solar Panels, 11 Enphase Energy Inverter. The System was installed December 19-20. On December 21 received a new contract, unilaterally the installation now calls for 11 Japan Solar Panels, 1 SMA America Inverter. Quite a DIFFERENT SYSTEM!! On reflection, however, I decided I was not agreeable to the change of equipment. I therefore signed and submitted a Notice of Cancellation to United Solar on December 26, 2018, in accordance with my three-business-day right to cancel. Dividend also send a “Certificate of Completion” to be signed. The work is considered complete when the panels are on the roof, NOT a working System. I have been paying for a NON WORKING Solar System. Thanks DIVIDEND. I am paying for a NON WORKING Solar System. Thanks DIVIDEND, Thanks United Solar.

Dividend Solar response

Hi Angelo, we are so sorry to hear about your experience and want to let you know that we take claims of fraud very seriously here at Dividend Finance. Our team has been looking into this and we will be in touch with you shortly to discuss. Thank you.

Dividend Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

This solar financing company’s mission is to give investors a way to invest in solar and to provide homeowners another source of financing. Through crowd-sourced investments, a homeowner can get a competitive loan to cover the cost of a rooftop solar system.

• Low-cost financing: Dividend Solar reportedly offers one of the most competitive loans on the home solar market.

• Low-risk investment: On the flip side, it offers an investment option that has relatively low risk (compared to stocks, for example) but typically a good rate of return.

• Huge emphasis on customer service: Almost no business can get by these days without good customers service, but as Dividend Solar notes, it is “quality-obsessed” and aims to deliver “the highest quality experience to each of our customers and partners.” It’s sort of like your “mom and pop” solar financing and solar investment option.

• Innovative: This term is a bit overused these days, but Dividend Solar deserves it. It has brought to market a solar financing and solar investment solution that is unavailable from any other entity on the market.

• Focused on quality: Dividend Solar doesn’t seem to be tied to any particular solar brand when it comes to the solar panels or the installation service, but it is passionate about delivering the highest-quality products to its customers. The idea is that doing so will result in the happiest customers.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
      Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Dividend Solar questions and answers

What problem is Dividend Solar trying to solve?
      Dividend Solar was founded to provide homeowners a better, simpler way to own their solar energy system. With our $0-down EmpowerLoan™, homeowners can save money from day 1 with absolutely no out-of-pocket expense. Our online application process is simple, paperless and allows you to be pre-qualified instantly from the comfort of your home.

Not sure who is the best installer near you? We have already identified and partnered with the best quality-obsessed local installation partners in your neighborhood to ensure our customers get the best product and service.

Making the decision to go solar used to be difficult, with few financing options available and even less transparency on installation quality and cost. Now, with Dividend Solar, you can own your solar system with no money down, maximize your savings through solar ownership, get connected with a pre-vetted quality installer, receive the tax credits and other incentives, and save far more money than leasing your system.

What sets Dividend Solar apart from the competition?
      By financing your system with Dividend Solar’s $0-down EmpowerLoan, you lock in performance guarantees, warranty management and system production monitoring alongside the financial benefits of actually owning your system. With attractive rates, a simple and paperless application process and partnerships with the highest-quality installers in your neighborhood, Dividend Solar makes the process of going solar easier than ever before.

We pride ourselves on delivering nothing short of the best service for our customers. Give us a call – we would love to speak with you about all of the benefits of our EmpowerLoan.
      What needs does Dividend Solar fulfill, and how does Dividend Solar fulfill those needs better than the competition?
      The solar industry has exploded in the last few years due to sharply declining system costs and the introduction of solar leases/PPAs, which enabled homeowners to go solar without a large, upfront cash outlay for the first time. This model has been great for solar and enabled the industry to drive costs even lower.

However, the more recent introduction of the solar loan and other ownership options now allows homeowners to maximize the savings from going solar. If you are able to use the federal tax credit and other incentives that are often available, solar ownership is the best option. Dividend Solar’s $0-down EmpowerLoan offers the benefits of a solar lease/PPA, while shifting the economics of solar back to you – the homeowner.

Another great part about our loan: we have no pre-payment penalties, so you can pay it off as quickly as you’d like. Get a bonus at work or want to use the savings on your utility bill to pay off your loan sooner? Very easy to do with one click on your account.

Lastly, many other solar loan providers put a lien on your home, but that’s not something we require. We do maintain a security interest in the system itself while the loan is outstanding, but we never put a lien on your home.
      How does Dividend Solar measure success?
      Success for Dividend Solar is another happy homeowner who is saving money. Our goal is to help people switch to renewable energy and save money in the process. That’s a pretty cool gig if you ask us.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dividend Solar?
      The most common misconception about solar: “it must be really difficult and expensive to do this.” Previously, it actually was a painful process to go solar: trips to the bank, piles of paperwork, trying to find the right installer, permitting with the utility company, confusion if the system wasn’t working, etc.

As the solar industry has evolved, it has become extremely easy to go solar – particularly with the rise of $0-down financing options like the EmpowerLoan. Today, you can sign up on our site, be prequalified instantly with no paperwork required, get connected with the best local installer in your area, and set up a “site survey” of your home in a matter of days.
      How has the solar industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
      The solar industry has changed significantly in the past 5-10 years, as the cost of solar has dropped dramatically. Previously solely an environmental dream, solar is now an economic reality in many parts of the U.S.

The industry has also shifted towards direct ownership, as homeowners have become more aware of the benefits of owning vs. leasing their solar PV system. Previously, third-party ownership options such as a lease or Power Purchase Agreement helped the solar industry grow significantly, but as more loan financing options have become available, more and more homeowners are asking for loans so that they can maximize their savings.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dividend Solar?
      We absolutely love what we do. We have built our team full of people who strive to give an A+ customer experience, every day of the week. You can call us on any of the 7 days and speak with a real human who will be excited to talk with you.
      Has Dividend Solar received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
      Dividend Solar is a proud supporter of Women in Solar Energy, a member of the Solar Energy Industry Association and the American Sustainable Business Council, and an A Rated company by the Better Business Bureau.

Dividend Solar Company Information