formerly Prescription Solutions

3.8/5 (1281 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I have been using Optum RX for 4 years. I have never had any problems with getting my prescription refilled, they send me a notification when they are sending it. (I am on the automatic delivery.) I HAVE had problems with the doctor not responding to Optum's request, which has delayed my prescription, other than that, my medications have been taking a lot longer to get here because of the problems with the post office. All of our community is having problems with delivery (as is the rest of the country). I was sent Christmas Cards that took 3 weeks to get here! It is not Optum's fault that the post office is having problems.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

For years I been using OptumRX & Briova RX which both merged into one OptumRX for all my 90 days supply. There is one meds. I am having issues ordering it. This is been going on since last year for this particular meds. Someone will place my order. When I call OptumRX it will show up received order and processing. After few days that order disappeared and I have to call them again and it happened again. Last order I did took me almost one month before I finally I got my order after dealing with them so many times calling. Here we go again, I am trying to order refill same meds and guess what same it's been happening again. I get a lot of stress when ordering this meds.. If there is an issue with their system ordering this figure it out and fix it. I need them to survive and stay healthy. This is sad. I been ordering from them after the merged thing went down.

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I purchase this product for travel outside of US for my return, product expired in one week unable to use because my travel was for 3 weeks. Called Optum store. They refused a refund or replacement. Why would you sell a product that was about to EXPIRED???

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have been using a mail order pharmacy for 13 years. I have been using OptumRX for 2 of those 13 years and I have never had such issues. When I had Cigna, they would call, they would text, they would send emails. If there wasn't enough money on the card, they would send the prescription out anyway and recover the funds later. OptumRX is the complete opposite. The stress and anxiety of running out of medications, saying they are going to do this and turn around and do that, Incorrect billing issues that they state are corrected and are not. Please, if you need your medications to live as I do, do not use OptumRX. They have no interest in your well being.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

If I could have given Optum a zero for the review I would have. I have tried for 3 days to figure out what is going on with my fertility medications. Every time I call I get connected to someone that cannot help me. They send me over to the fertility department and no one ever answers the phone. I was finally able to speak to a pharmacist who said my prescription needed to be sent again, in which my clinic sent over 3 times. In my opinion, the pharmacist should have been in contact with my clinic to better assist me but that didn’t happen either.

Yesterday was day 3 and I waited on hold for 3 hours, yes, 3 hours! My clinic nurse finally got ahold of someone and she even told me I needed to file a complaint against Optum. They were supposed to give me an urgent call back yesterday to get delivery set up and that never happened. I had to go through another pharmacy and pay out of pocket for my medications. When I called this morning to file a complaint I was sent to a resolution specialist who was kind but literally sounded like she just rolled out of bed. She did say they changed over to a new system and this department was struggling but again, it just felt like no one cared and it still doesn’t seemed resolved.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

They do not get orders approved in a timely manner - then charges you extra for delivery because you are out of medications - doctor's office came. They never contacted them. Cannot switch until next year when Medicare insurance changes.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I have been in an OptumRx nightmare for years. I canceled them but, recently, I have been forced by my insurance company to use their failed mail delivery system again. I take heart meds and cannot be without my medications. This company has offshore "customer service" who are not properly trained and provide misinformation. This has caused me great distress and could cause me life threatening issues. I was assured that a man Named Raymond O (some sort of Rep) would call me. I called three times and left him VM. Crickets!! He never called me back. I tried to no avail to reach ANYONE in charge who could assist

Me... I keep getting sent back to "offshore". I truly believe this company is working out of their mother’s basement and I’m stuck with incompetent and uncaring, money hungry, unprofessional individuals in charge of my life saving medications. HORRIBLE!! Stay away if you can.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Denied medications for 2 of patients, despite these patients doing well on these medications for months. Wrote a required "letter of medical necessity" on letterhead, signed by me, and dated. They denied the appeal due to the letter "not being on letterhead, signed, or dated." They are making physicians jump through hoops just so they do not have to pay for medications. It is despicable!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

My sister lives in a assisted living facility that manages her medications. When her Rheumatoid Arthritis prescription was transferred from her specialty pharmacy to OptumRX Specialty Pharmacy, her experience receiving her medication has been difficult if not impossible. Her physician sends the script but Optum's process is they will not deliver the meds until someone calls to ask for delivery. I've contacted them twice over the course of four months and each time I'd been told I am not authorized to ask for delivery, that the facility needs to ask which they do. However, this month, they've told the facility they can't request delivery that I have to ask.

A rep did call to confirm (after the facility was persistent about getting this medication) I would authorize delivery, I advised I'm not managing my sister's medication and can't be part of the delivery authorization process and asked why were they able to send in previous months. I was told they've never sent anything for my sister. As I tried to understand the situation better, the rep apparently got frustrated and hung up with a 'ok, thank you.' It's the worst customer service experience I've ever had with a pharmacy company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

It is my personal belief that the purpose of this company is not that of providing healthcare prescription coverage but rather its goal is to cause stress to the patient/subscriber for mysterious reasons that until they are investigated can only be extrapolated. This company changes its policy with every phone call I have made to them.

This company is labeled as a mail delivery prescription/pharmacy. This is absurd for many reasons; I live off-grid, remote in deep wilderness. There is no mail service at my home where I live. I have to drive to my PO box 32 miles (one way). Winter is severe here.. having snow covered one lane gravel roads that seldom get plowed, a trip to the post office box can take up to 2 hours one way. Medications in the PO BOX can be exposed to extreme temperature in winter. Also it has short hours and closed on weekends. I informed OptumRX of this problem and their solution was to approve pick up at a local pharmacy. However OptumRX will only supply 21 days of a 30 day prescription. OptumRX says the pharmacy is "OUT OF NETWORK" and therefore I am penalized with having to go 1 week with no medication every month. This is unacceptable.

One time I called and I was told I could pick up my prescription at a CVS pharmacy and the OptumRX rep. told me to go pick it up right away because it was ready. It was a 70 mile drive to CVS and when I got there I was NOT able to pick up the prescription because OptumRX instructed the pharmacist to hold the pills for 4 more days because I was there too early. You can plan on spending approximately 24 hours a month on the phone with OptumRX because they have set up a hoop-jumping process for every patient. My health has deteriorated since my employer hired this company to provide insurance benefits as of 1-1-2021.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information