1.05/5

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions)

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1543 OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I would give this company and their parent United HealthCare a negative 5 rating. Only use if you are healthy. They do NOT COVER WHAT you need to maintain health or if you have any health issues. The executive officers for both companies should be ashamed of themselves and I hope they have very healthy families. Probably their families get coverage but not everyone else. They are what is wrong with our healthcare system in the US.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Our prescription coverage changed Jan 1, 2019 from Caremark to OptumRX. We have seen an increase in prescription drugs and now a denial for a med my family has taken for 2 years after being tried on everything. OptumRX customer service is TERRIBLE and so far we are disappointed and very upset. Instead of a safer pain med OptumRX chooses to pay for a cheaper highly addictive drug with more side effects. The opioid crisis is a crisis for drug addicts not normal Joes in pain. Absolutely horrible.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

If I can find another way to obtain my meds, this is probably the last you will ever hear from me. I have tried repeatedly to work with your call center, but over and over they have been unhelpful and/or lied to me about the actions they would take to get my medications to me. I frequently get emails informing me that Optum has 'reached out' to my physicians' office for prescription renewals, etc. I suspect that 'reached out' does not necessarily mean that Optum has actually talked to a human being in my physicians' office... Until you have actually spoken to my physician or a staff member authorized to act to fill your request, you have not 'reached out'!

I ought to be able to request emergency medications when circumstances beyond my control force me to extend my travel plans beyond the supply of meds I have with me. Say 5 to 10 days, without requiring 'available refills'. These are psych meds that I don't do well, when I run out! This is especially frustrating when you tell me that you will 'reach out' to my physician for refill authorization before you can send me EMERGENCY meds.

On Sunday, Feb 3, I received an email informing me that my ** 300mg were being shipped. I noticed that the address was that of my sister in Mena AR, where I had been when I was requesting emergency meds. Considering the disorganization of your call center in earlier calls, this was not surprising. So I called the Call Center and asked them to correct the mistake and have these meds rerouted to my home address in Washington DC. The Call Center rep put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back, she assured me that the Optim routing department had contacted the carrier and the carrier and your routers had arranged for my meds to be routed to my home and not delivered to my sister in Mena AR.

These are the same psych meds that I had then been without for 2 weeks (As of today, I still don't have this medication...). The next day, Monday Feb 4, my sister called me and told me she received my **. I asked her to write 'refused' on the package and put it unopened, out for the postal worker to pick-up. Now, it is Friday, Feb 8, 2019, and I still don't have my **. I went to your patient portal, logged into my account and pulled up my order history. Bizarrely, none of these ** orders appear! Either past or current, completed or in process.

So what's going on??? Did your call center rep lie to me when she told me that my grossly delayed, EMERGENCY ** order would not be delivered to my sister, but instead would come to my home address? What happened to my order in your patient portal? Why have I still not received my **? Why do I have these types of problems with you call center, over and over, year after year?? I'm not going to play this game any longer. It's not worth the modest co-pay savings associated with your service. And I don't want you calling me to apologize or ask how you can make this right. I intend to copy and post this letter on as many review sites, like Yelp, as I can find.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Under any circumstances do not use this company! They will give you a price for a drug and make it seem like you’re getting a deal, saving money, the reality is they lie, jack up the price, and your pills will not arrive on time! Case in point I got a price for two drugs ** and **, the price for each refill was $100 US dollars for a 90 days supply. Three days later after they contacted my Dr. for the renewal of pharmacy scripts I went online to order, only to find out the price for the **was ok but the price for the ** was 15 times higher than what the previous lady had quoted me. Astonished, I proceeded to order only the ** from the OptumRx website however, would not let me place my order so I called OptumRx. Talked to a lady from Florida. She looked up the prices said ** was $1503. I laughed. Said I will only order the ** for $100. Said the pills will be in a week.

A week later I check to see the order status, to find out was not shipped and they had included the ** in the order price $423, I called. Talk to "off shore customer service" rep then she pulled up the notes from the previous conversation with the lady from OptumRx and revealed that I indeed I told her that I did not want the **. That I could get It locally. I did get it filled locally. She couldn't understand why they added the ** to my order! I told this third person to cancel the order and I would never do business again with OptumRx. She apologized, we'll wait and see if the order gets cancelled in the meantime will call my credit card company to have them blocked them from using my card.

To summarize: First person from CA either didn't give the correct quote on the **. $100 vs $1503 or the system is broke. Online ordering not working. Second person did exactly opposite of my wishes and proceeded to charge my credit card. Sent me drugs I did not want. Which I never received anyway! Talking to someone would not give me their location only that offshore. Read back the notes from the previous lady that I originally called to place the order to tell me that I was right that I did tell her I was unhappy about the price of the **. I would get it myself locally.

The lady from OptumRx felt she was doing be a favor by added $323 more to my $100 order to make it $423. State of Michigan Retirement program put me in this drug program only to find out that this is the absolute bottom of the barrel as a pharmacy go. What the heck is going on with this company, prices all over the place. They will not send you an email to notify you on anything because I asked for an email confirming that the order will be cancelled and my credit card will be reimbursed. Lady indicated that they don't do that! REALLY!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

They NEVER respond to emails, and their website has errors. My latest email, which has yet to be answered, follows: "Please be advised your website is misleading, and your customer service leaves much to be desired. The following copies of emails and the attachments explain the issue, but I mainly want to state my opinion regarding your organization. First, I never received any acknowledgment or reply regarding either email I sent via your website contact page. Second, I received nothing but a runaround from your customer service department. I was transferred four times and had to hold in excess of five minutes each time."

"When I finally was able to speak to a supervisor, all she did was argue that I was wrong even though the website clearly showed I was correct. When she said they processed my order correctly and suggested I talk to your I.T. department about the issue, I hung up." At this point, I do not want any resolution to this issue. I just want to make you aware of the problems you have, and I want to assure you I will never recommend OptumRx to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This company has no customer service expertise. The agents are rude. No one knows what to do. They always make mistakes with orders and never deliver on time. I wish the State of NJ would go back to Express Scripts.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

On January 21, 2019, I tried transferring six prescriptions to mail order, and as of February 2, 2019, I still do not have all of my prescriptions. It has been a horrendous nightmare! I have been on the phone nearly every day for 11 days trying to get things straightened out. It always seems to be my fault or my doctor's fault that they can’t get it right. I guarantee that I will never again use this service even though they offered no co-pay on my medication. I do not recommend you even trying to deal with these idiots. It is a colossal waste of time! I only gave them one star because it is as Low as they go!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Well my mother has gotten refills from OptumRX for years. We needed a refill and I was transferred at least 3 times being told that they did not take care of USA orders. I finally got a nice American and she said they were waiting on Dr approval. I got an email on 1/24/2019 saying they got approval and order in process. I called OptumRX and was told she would receive meds by 2/1/2019. On 2/1/2019, I called to check on tracking number and where it was since Mother was about out of her meds. Now I am told order was not shipped, out of stock and could not ship multiple orders. I'm like "Why couldn't you let me know before now???" And of course, when I tried to leave a review on phone. I was cut off. Go figure. I'll get meds elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Just have to add to everyone’s wonderful experiences with this crooked company. Not only have they denied refills of two medically necessary items for me (coincidentally not available generically) but they did the same for a senior citizen in my family who’s been taking this med for years (also only available via trade name). I am in the process of writing letters and op-ed pieces to the newspapers about this, including The NY Times. My goal is simple: expose this fraudulent corrupt company and its incompetent help staff. Post if you’re interested in starting a class action suit. What’s next? Denying insulin because it’s not medically necessary? The sooner the frauds who run this scam operation are in Leavenworth the better.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My cancer meds were supposed to be delivered a week ago. I have no meds and all they have are "I'm sorry's". If you are not using this company, DON'T START! You've been warned! This is the worst! I thought it would be easy and convenient however I was sooo Wrong!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is the worst company to deal with. I've been on the phone for the entire day because they rejected CVS from refilling my blood pressure medicine because they want me to get it thru the mail. My prescription is only for 1 month so they refuse to help me and won't let CVS fill it. Therefore I have to pay for it out of my own pocket. You can only imagine since I have no pills left-how high my blood pressure is right now. They wouldn't even approve a 7 day emergency supply. Horrible horrible company and I pay for my health insurance.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I've tried for more than 2 weeks to get a pre-approval for a medicine I need for a few serious issues including breathing. The doctor filled their form and faxed to their number with getting a confirmation that they received it 7 times in the last 2 weeks. They insist they never received it. They will not give me a mailing address for me to overnight the forms to them. They called my doctor office liars and refused to give me a mailing address. I spoke to many people there over the past 2 weeks and hardly got the same explanation twice except that they didn't get it. They questioned my name, my ID, my doctor abilities to send a fax, etc. The only advise they actually gave me was to go to the ER. (HA?). I believe the major level of incompetence they show is the Standard Operating Mode of every employee at that company. So it starts from the top.

I am going to file official complaint with Medicare. I'm trying to keep this message with clean language but any bad word you can think about in any language you choose will probably describe them accurately. If you want to avoid anxiety and a potential heart attack choose a different company for your prescriptions. Thank you for reading my comments.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have an elderly relative that I assist with several medications, many important heart medications. She recently changed her Medicare plan to the OptumRX Walgreens plan. Although she was assured all of her medications would be transferred smoothly from her prior pharmacy and doctors, that's not been the case at all.

Month 1 is off to a bad start. She's had to go to pharmacy to pick up meds cause they wouldn't be delivered on time. They only have 3 medications listed on her account that are being delivered automatically even though she is on about 15. When she calls for a refill she is informed it could take 10 days to receive it. I set up her online account and the website is prehistoric. I tried to pay her balance with a checking acct. and was warned several times that the routing number was invalid. Odd how it is valid for car payment, insurance, credits cards, electric bill.

Sadly I had to use her debit card finally. I entered the card info and that was accepted. I entered "pay" for one time payment. The screen froze and when I went back into payment methods, the debit card info was gone. The balance remained. So, I went into payment methods again and chose the debit card as default payment and selected pay. Screen froze. No confirmation. Nothing. She may be billed twice! Who knows if there is no confirmation of a payment? Today I checked the account thinking a payment went through and it had not... thankfully. I removed her bank info from website and suggested she block her account.

I read several reviews about how awful experiences are with this company. Unauthorized charges, late medications, customer service that is unhelpful. I am really surprised that AARP supports this service. It's really a disgrace to suggest a service that is so unreliable. In closing, if you have this service, you may be able to get the medications at Walgreens if you have that plan. If not, there are some discount drugs plans that you can print coupons for or pick up at most physician offices until this is resolved. I wish you luck.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My wife needs a very important prescription and has been taking it until OptumRX moved it from Tier 2 to Tier 3. We applied to OptumRX through our doctor to cover it under Tier 2, but it was denied. There is no alternative that is in Tier 2.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have received quarterly benefits from Front Line Medical (OptumRx) before with no problems. This time I opened the undamaged box and a bottle of ** had spilled out into the box. The top was off the bottle and the seal was peeled back about 3/4 of the way. I couldn't believe my eyes. All the other medical products were ok and packed securely. I called the number given at the bottom of my order page. I told the "shocked" representative and he said that he was writing it down and this situation would be sent to the appropriate department.

He assured me that someone would be in touch with me about this matter in no more than 2 to 3 business days. I have yet to hear from anyone. I used to work in quality control at a military contractor and I learned about traceability somewhat. I am going to ask details as to who exactly packed this box and did they have something against me. I wonder if the pills are tainted also. It reminds me of the ** scare of the 1970s...

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is the third time that OptumRx has billed us despite the fact that our prescription coverage covers the entire amount of the drug that they sent. They are literally charging us full price for the drug and then billing our insurance company as well which is UnitedHealthcare. I'm still waiting to get to the bottom of this as once again their system is down and they can do nothing to help us. At this point I am going to file a complaint with our local police department for elder abuse and I would suggest that anyone else that has this problem does the same. This is completely illegal or what they're doing it's literally stealing.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Twice they kept giving me the wrong updates on when my prescriptions would be delivered, & I wound up having to go without much meds. The last time, not only were they late, but had the wrong amounts of the prescriptions. Terrible way to handle things that can be life threatening.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

The mail order pharmacy for United Health Care Advantage Plan is unfortunately OptumRx. Because of habitual inept service, I usually bite the bullet and have my prescriptions filled at my local pharmacies. If I were to take advantage of the mail order I would owe zero co-pay, but only rarely has OptumRx gotten it right. I do not understand how this company manages to stay in business.

Their site almost never works and if you think you have ordered a prescription online, you will discover after you are out of medication that there was a glitch in the system and your order was never processed. Most recently, I called and spoke to a representative who seemed to actually know what she was doing (I was hopeful) only to receive exactly what I told her I did not want and could not use. I now have a 90 day supply of a drug I can't use and have to dispose of. I was shocked to see so many other who share my opinion of this company. It poses the question...why are they still the 'go to' mail order company for insurance companies?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My husband needed a new drug ASAP; his doctor's office sent a prescription to our local Walmart for a 30 day supply and a prescription to OptumRx for the remaining 60 days. OptumRx instead filled a prescription for the full 90 days so that when I got to Walmart, insurance would not pay for the 30 days supply since OptumRx beat them out by ordering a 90 day supply. The pharmacist at our doctor's office tried to help us out by requesting OptumRx overnight the pills, which they agreed to do; this was on a Wednesday. On Thursday afternoon I get an email saying the shipment was held up because they needed a credit card number. I immediately called to give them that information and reminded them that we needed this shipment over-nighted. That was Thursday, early afternoon.

In the meantime, the hospital where my husband was gave us a 3 day supply to cover Thursday afternoon, Friday, and Saturday morning. At 11:06 pm on Friday night we get an email that the prescription was shipped and we would have it on Monday before 8 pm. That meant that we were short a minimum of 4 pills, which I did obtain from Walmart at a cost of $36.00. I called OptumRx and they blamed FedEx for the problem. According to them, I guess, FedEx was supposed to come to them on Thursday to beg them to send out the promised prescription. OptumRx absolutely did not care if we had the pills we needed or not. All they wanted was to be able to fill the full 90 days of this very expensive drug. That benefited them, to hell with us.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

This company makes it so difficult to submit legitimate medical expenses. When you call, the representatives put you at ease and explain what is required to get a claim processed successfully. The reality is they continue to close submissions with lame reasons for not paying. Often, claims will just disappear with no explanation whatsoever. There is nothing flexible about these spending accounts. Optum is a company whose sole function is to obstruct your ability to use the funds in your savings account.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My United Healthcare plan uses OptumRx, so I didn't have any other option. My doctor called in two prescriptions, but failed to sign one. When I had not received either one, I called them and was told I should have been notified by email concerning this issue. Then after the doctor had signed both, there was another delay because they second guessed my doctor's opinion and wanted to make sure that she wanted me on both prescriptions.

Since my current job is a contract position I am not currently residing at my permanent address. I gave them my current shipping address at an apartment complex, but they sent it to my permanent address anyway. They sent the prescription out a second time, but this time they sent it to the wrong address in the apartment complex and the person living at that address said they never received it. When they sent it out a third time they told me I would have it in a couple of days. I told them I was heading out of town for a week, so I needed it before then. It did not arrive in a few days, so then a representative, Kanisha, said it would be sent it out again to where I was headed. The representative lied and never sent out another shipment. I am still without my medication.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

The employees of Optum Rx are trying to do their best to help clients. But their company has made this virtually impossible. The process for getting approval to reimbursement for drugs is so complex and incomprehensible, even to those tasked to explain it, that they simply spend their long days apologizing to customers for not being able to help.

I am now on my 8th call to try to get cluster headache medication approved for my son, Zach. Cluster headaches are nicknamed 'suicide headaches' because they are so unbearably painful. When my son is in a cluster (they happen seasonally), the base medication usually works for a few weeks. When it stops, he needs to take shots of ** for each headache and this often exceeds the number of shots reimbursed by Optum RX, thus requiring a prior authorization by his doctor.

I have now spent over 10 hours on the phone trying to get clarity on how the approvals and reimbursements work. Each membership services to explain their process, reasons for refusal. I have gotten multiple and conflicting answers - blaming doctors, pharmacists rather than acknowledging that their own prescriptions desk was doing the refusing (apparently service agents are not properly trained to see this). When after 4 hours and 5 conference calls getting dr and pharmacist on the phone to address contractions, I managed to elevate within Optum RX to someone who could confirm they were refusing the claim.

- I have had my son on the phone with me twice to authorize me speaking for him and have been told that has been entered into the system. Yet only today was told that process is no longer accepted and that forms must be filled in. - I have been told that the higher dosage of generic ** is 1/3 the price of the lower dosage despite the fact that my son's neurologist, head of St Luke's headache clinic, warns that too many high dosage shots will lead to overdose. No explanation as to why he can't take LESS medicine more cheaply.

I have been proposed mail order service of a generic form of the drug my son needs and been advised that this option is 50% cheaper than in pharmacy, only to be discover, after waiting anxiously for 2 weeks for delivery, that Optum RX is out of stock of the drug we need and never bothered to reach out to communicate that information. I was then informed that it would cost me $2365 to buy 12 boxes of shots (my son needs up to 3 a day when his headaches are at their worst) at the local pharmacy without any ability to explain why this figure is twice my son's deductible. Every effort is made by Optum RX to make their processes opaque and to discourage all but the most persistent. A disgraceful lack of training, systems management, transparency and efficacy. To be avoided at all cost.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

If it were possible to give this company any MINUS rating I would do so. A -20 to the 10th power! Their level of incompetence is staggering. So, let's start: Trying to type in the member ID is useless as their system doesn't recognize what you type in. Speaking the numbers rarely is helpful. So you get transferred to an agent which is all you wanted in the first place. This company is outsourced to another country. It's been my experience, almost without fail, that a company who has reps 6000 miles from where YOU are located really isn't invested in truly being helpful. These people in customer service for OptumRX have an amazing capacity to either not listen or not understand what you're telling them. Perhaps both. Either way, it will frustrate you to insanity to try to get them to listen and actually HELP.

They either do not have agents in the United States or they just refuse to transfer to an agent in the US. Nothing personal per se...I just feel there are any number of agents in this country who could use those jobs and/or would be trained to achieve a higher level of competence. If you don't need many medications I would STRONGLY urge you to avoid this company!!! Go to your local pharmacy or Walmart and get your prescriptions there or find another 90 day "by mail" supplier. I'll be doing just that. They will make you crazy trying to sort your medication out or make any update to your profile. THEY DO NOT LISTEN!!! AVOID them or use them at your own peril!

Their website isn't overly user friendly either and does not allow you to make certain changes yourself in the hopes of making your life easier. As an example, changing the name or any info about your Primary Care doctor is impossible. You HAVE to call and since they don't listen, you'd do just as well to not bother to call and just bang your heads against a wall for 30 minutes. DO NOT USE THIS MAIL ORDER PHARMACY!!! SAVE YOURSELVES!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Being a AARP prescription drug customer, I was told to use OptumRX as a provider. I have had nothing but terrible service from them. Their website is concisely down, when ordering the initial price is full price, you have to call them to have the AARP plan assigned to get the correct price. Last time I had to waiting 30+ minutes to get this resolved. My account site includes some of my medications, no auto alter to refill. Overall, my experience has been way below par, and, I no longer use them. They should look and try to model after ExpressScripts, who has it right. Stay away, not a great company, terrible service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have a prescription on automatic refill with these folks. Every 90 days I run out of medication because they cannot get their stuff together. Either the order was dropped off from the automatic refill God-know-why, or the associate who was supposed to set this up did not do it, etc. I have tried everything--the website is worse than not having a site at all, it gives you the idea that the problem was solved when it was not. Or hope that anyone actually reads it regularly. Customer service by phone is awful--they blame you for whatever they did wrong this time. Rude and uncooperative. They just leave you without your prescriptions and could not care less. 100% irresponsible. No management.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

No communications between what the OptumRX customer service department says they are going to do to resolve an issue and the people at OptumRX that are supposed to follow through on promises, ex: refunds, prescription errors, billing credit card when you've asked numerous times not to have your credit card on file. This is one of the poorest managed companies I've ever seen and dealt with. In particular, Vicky, an Escalation Manager, was one of the worst. She totally lied to me and would not remove an unauthorized charge from my credit card (someone else's medication billed to my card). She should be fired. If you have choice of OptumRX or not, DO NOT PICK OPTUMRX, you'll be sorry.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Pay your premiums for years, and one time needing help they refuse to cover a prescription. They rather you take a medication that has 1058 side effects instead of the new prescription that only has 550 interactions. I work at a large repeatable company, pay high premiums for PPO and they told what you can take or can't take based on their reasoning. They are ridiculous, they rather you die or take a medication that can kill you faster than the one you need. Thanks for Not caring about the patient. Can wait to do the questionnaire to remove you from our insurance group.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Never had problems with my Rx benefits with Medco. At start of year Prudential tied to OptumRx. Can’t get approval for ** but they say I could get it on Jan 18 when it’s no longer beneficial to me. This is only the start. I never used my pharmacy benefits that much but I can feel it will be a looonnng year with OptumRx.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My insurance dictated that I use this service. Webpage is counter-intuitive and the service reps are worse if that's possible. Every time I go to the site it has changed my medication requests from auto-fill and auto-renew or whatever it's now called, so that I have to miss several days of meds, and even on a good day, it takes almost two weeks to get something from them. I've transferred most all of my prescriptions to a local pharmacy and glad I did. If you haven't used this service, I'd advise against it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My wife signed us up for a provider that uses a third party, OptumRx, to handle mail order/web prescriptions. First off, I could not create an account because the person entering my data in the system used my wife's birth date and not mine. It took 5 calls for them to figure this out. Once this was corrected, I still could not log in, the system kept asking me to register a new account -- BUT, after entering all the correct information, got booted out due to the account being 'already registered'. After several hours on the phone with customer dis-service and IT, and after several 'It will be fixed in 24 hours' blow offs with no resolution... I finally gave up. These people are totally incompetent, I don't think any of them graduated from high school let alone grade school. A total disaster. I give them an F-.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information