1.08/5

formerly Prescription Solutions

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

View More View More

1587 OptumRx Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

To begin, every time I renew my medications it requires 4-8 telephone conversations and as many emails. Information given online, by telephone, and in their notifications are all different. No one I have spoken with in their many departments is aware of what others do. Among the worst 10 companies in the US, without a doubt. Errors of all types occur--one pharmacist told me that one drug was not recalled, only to be followed by an email informing me of a recall. On another occasion, one of my physicians was hounded for a refill over a month before the item was to be renewed. Like most large companies, the "executives" feel their time is far more valuable than the low-life customers they serve. I could go on and on. Almost every conversation reveals yet another problem.

The reps on the telephone are of marginal help, since much of the time, they are not aware of what others are doing and saying that differs. In my medical renewals in the past few days, there were 9 emails and 10 phone calls about it. I was disconnected once, and just now, a surly rep refused to turn his volume control up and when I said I couldn't hear him, he put me on hold for 17 minutes, until I called back on another line.

Original review: April 22, 2019

They don't even cover my meds, shame they get away with this. My company just made the switch. No warning, sign here. We are changing our prescription plan only. I guess I'll die sooner than later, we all go at some time? Good luck, all!

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Our Union changed everyone’s prescription plans to OptumRx on January 1st this year and it’s been a nightmare for us. They won’t cover several prescriptions I’ve had for years and are uncooperative and difficult to communicate with. It took me almost 3 months to get my ** inhalers refilled on a 90-day basis. 90 DAYS!! I had to beg and borrow from friends and family. I have asthma, it’s not an optional medication. I dread next month when I will have to try to get the next refill. Their customer service is like talking to a computer - or a brick wall. Same outcome. If you have a choice, do yourself a favor and please pick any other provider.

Original review: April 18, 2019

If you have other options I would use them. My mail order prescription hadn't come for 10 days. When I contacted them (customer service) very lengthy phone call..... They stated it was out for delivery by USPS and when I asked what address he stated he couldn't provide that info based on USPS. Also stated they couldn't overnight the medication. I asked to speak with a boss she stated they would resend but the initial mailing was a USPS issue. I provided the correct address. I called back 5 minutes later. Got another customer rep. He stated the replacement prescription was being sent to MN not IL. After 15 minutes he struggled with repeating my concerns but straightened out the correct address. I asked again for a manager. This person offered 2 day shipping and stated there would be follow up conversations with the previous reps.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I've had to make 7 phone calls, wasting upwards of 6 hours of my time, trying to get these people to do their JOB. I was prescribed for "Drug x" by my Primary Care Doc. What followed is beyond belief: 1) I was told "X" wasn't covered by my health plan and would cost $695 for 6 pills. 2) Next phone call they tell me it IS covered and all I need is Prior Auth from doctor. I obtained that Prior Auth later that day. 3) NOW I'm told that "Drug X" isn't on my plan's formulary at all, and it will cost me $6,800 for three month supply... BUT if I get a new prescription for generic version of "X" it's $187.50, so I got new prescription. 4) 4th phone call, and I'm informed the generic version of "X" will cost me $7,823. MORE than the brand name, also not covered by my plan. 5) This call I was thrown a different generic I'd never heard of, and I needed to get a prescription for THAT, now.

6) These morons then proceed to send me refill forms for BOTH Drug X and its generic version, asking to return the form for only the drug I want... So it turns out this whole time, I was lied to about it not being covered. I chose "Drug X" and mailed the form in. (But wait, there more!) 7) On THIS call, I'm told the dosage of "Drug X" THAT THEY SENT A REORDER FORM FOR is discontinued. I got their letter 4 days ago, and now I'm hearing that it's discontinued. 8) Supposedly, finally, an order was placed, and is showing up on the website. If I ACTUALLY get these meds it will be a miracle at this point.

This company is the worst I've ever experienced in my life. I cannot believe how I've been treated, and I hope to save other consumers from the nightmare that is OptumRX. They are much more interested in blocking you from what you were prescribed, rather than getting it delivered to you promptly, as they SHOULD BE DOING. I wish ZERO Stars was an option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: April 14, 2019

I decided to order my thyroid medication with them, originally brand was confirmed $14.80 and generic was $ 7.00. Then they make me run in circles for many days over small issues. Brand name price was confirmed over the week for several times but on the day of prescription refill price was changed to $88 dollars instead of $14.80. Upon confrontation they denied everything and insisted $14.80 was for generic only. I checked on their website under my profile, first brand name was showing $14.80 but after talking with them, within few minutes they changed all the pricing information instantly. I didn't knew I was dealing with bunch of crooked thugs. They are taking advantage of the vulnerable patients and charging them whatever amount they want. I wish I could them 0 star.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Updated on 04/15/2019: My review of a few days ago mentioned that Optum owed me $64 for nearly three weeks. They refunded to my card four days ago, but since then my account is frozen for owing $64. They assured me four days ago that the issue would be remedied in 24 hours. It just keeps getting better with this company.

Original review: I have way too many complaints from the past to detail here. However, there are currently two major issues.

1. Recently this organization decided that all new prescriptions for controlled substances would be limited to 30 days instead of 90. However, their insurance plan (UHC Medicare Part D premium plan) only covers 90-day prescriptions. Therefore you have to pay full price for controlled substances.

2. A recent prescription from my doctor failed to denote tabs or capsules. Optum wrote back for clarification, and he replied, "capsules if covered by insurance." They sent me capsules, which were *not* covered by insurance, and in fact, cost $65, unlike the tabs which were free. I intercepted this shipment in transit via the carrier's website, and it was returned to the sender. Meanwhile, the "professionals" at Optum showed on their website a package with the tabs being sent out, complete with a tracking number. I knew this was bogus, as it did not include a claim, and the package was never picked up. Yet I had to wait over two weeks to get my critical meds, most of the time without any left at home.

Finally, after maybe six calls, they generously sent me the tabs. However 17 days after they received the refused capsules, after only four calls from me, they still have not initiated a refund. Representatives assure me the issue contains a directive from a supervisor to refund my money, but no action has been taken.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Like others, I'd give zero stars if I could. United Health Care makes me use their in-house mail order medication service called OptumRX, or I can pay retail prices at a pharmacy, if I want. My choice, right? They constantly screw up my orders, are glacially slow with shipping, and always play dumb with me when I call them. They are currently refusing to fill my blood pressure medication because they figure I can finish my last prescription, that was different, before they'll send the new medication that my doctor prescribed a month ago.

Their web site never works and it is obtusely difficult to use. I believe this is intentional. I can't track orders, can't price check meds, nothing. Every month I have to call them for one screw up or other. I call them and get some drug-addled dunce on the phone whose job it is to say, "I dunno. I can't check that. My computer is down again." My current beef is that they raised the price of one medication from $3.16 per month to $10 per month with nobody able to explain why. "I dunno." I know it's not a huge amount of money, but if it was another, more expensive medication, that kind of unexplained price increase could hit a person hard. That's more than triple. All I got from them after the "I dunno" phone call was a form letter saying I should use their mail order service because it's cheaper. That's where this is all coming from!!

I'm so sick of them. I now have gotten to the point where I query them, and then the next day I can figure on complaining to the state insurance commissioner. It doesn't fix the problem, but at least I get my issues on record with the state and maybe, just maybe, someday the state will take some action against this shady company.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I would give them a zero if I could. They changed the address to send meds to, unknown to me, so I was billed for meds that I never received. Cannot get anyone on the phone. Cannot correct the address on the website even though it is my 'profile'. Avoid these people.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Once my employer was merged and I had to go on COBRA OptumRx has denied my coverage. I have formal evidence of paid coverage from the COBRA assist, Discovery Benefits. Last month after Optum said I had no coverage, I called Discovery Benefits and they had proof that they provided Optum with my coverage information. Discovery sent a second notification file to Optum the next day. This month, Optum again says I have no coverage and they never received Discovery's notice. Discovery just told me they sent notification to Optum twice. Now I am in urgent need because I only have 3 pills left. Discovery is sending ANOTHER notification, but tells me that Optum is known for not even looking at these notices for at least 2 days, then processing. But obviously they haven't processed ANY of my coverage notices. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Coverage is horrible. It says it's covered, then it's not. Optum Rx sucks. I feel stuck. I can't afford anything else, but coverage is bad. It's as if you are dealing with a used car salesman. Can't believe them, can't trust them.

Original review: April 2, 2019

OptumRx is horrible. I've been trying to get a prescription filled for over a week. I'll do anything to stop using this company. They run you around in circles, say the doctor "denied" prescription refill (totally false); then they say the prescription is in the mail; 4 hrs. later, they send an email saying the doctor the refill is denied, over and over and over again. I go to my account on the website to see the status, and it is totally different than what they told me on the phone. Even the rep on the phone said she does not have accurate information. My issue is STILL not resolved, because nobody at this company has a clue.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have no words how bad this insurance is. Any time I order medication there is a problem! Not competent customer service. It is terrible! Too bad I have it through my employer, otherwise I would NEVER renew it.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was taken medication for years prior to my work prescription plan changing to OptumRx, now this medication is no longer covered. They sent me medication made in China that has been recalled. I was told I would receive a refund (90+ days of medication) and did not. I sent a prescription via mail and a month later I received an email from OptumRx that the doctor has approved it and it would be sent. Five days later, I receive another email. There is a delay in the processing. Now I am out of the medication. I called and was told the delay was that my doctor did not sign the prescription and the pharmacist was waiting on the doctor.

After finding a photocopy of the signed prescription I mailed, I called again. This time I was told the pharmacist could read the prescription due to the way it was sent. I told her I physically mailed the prescription and the medication name was legible. Her response was tomorrow have a local pharmacy call their pharmacy to have the refill available transferred to be partially filled. Oh and today, the first lady asked me if I wanted to refill my prescription that is not covered by OptumRx.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have called these people 12 times and successfully gotten 2 prescriptions from them. They lie to you and are poorly trained. I never had to sign for prescriptions. They sent one this time by USPS. Signature required. They do nothing consistently at this place.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Worst customer service, ever. I have had many of the same problems as the other reviewers: orders mysteriously vanish, orders delayed, literally hours on the phone, being told outright lies by reps and managers. 30 minutes today to simply update a credit card number, (they called me, at work - else I would have updated online). The root of my issue is that my company's United Healthcare Plan mandates that I use Optum, I can not use any other pharmacy or they will not provide any benefit. With no possibility of competition, they need not provide ANY level of customer service. They are responsible only to United Healthcare and their shareholders, and therefore it is in their financial interest to substitute, delay, loose orders, and generally find excuses not to fill orders. Profit before patients. This industry needs to be regulated.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I feel like I am working with a state owned and run agency. They have canceled my subscriptions. Said they haven’t been sent prescriptions by doctors, delayed refills, refilled items I didn't approve or ask for. Tried to force me into accepting generic for an on label product only. Transferred me to hell and back. Half of the people on the phone will tell you if you ask, they are not in America, can’t give any information other than what is on their screen, extremely difficult to understand their accents. They are rude, cut me off, make decisions that they then don’t inform you of and don’t get meds to you sometimes in a timely manner.

Nothing is their fault and you as the “unskilled health worker” don’t know what you are talking about. They are dangerous and this business needs to be shut down completely. This is increasingly worsening as consumers and persons who need our prescription needs taken care of have no say so other than paying, full price and out of pocket. This is not freedom. This is a form of slavery. You pay for the coverage without any of the real benefits. Wish I could have given negative stars.

Original review: March 25, 2019

They have some of the lowest prices and offer quick delivery of prescriptions. Their app is very easy to navigate and they have excellent customer service to assure that you get your prescriptions on time.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Optum refused to cover my brand name medications that I’ve been stable on for 10+ years. Despite providing medical justification to verify reasons why I can’t take generic versions of the medications and my MD writing DAW-1 Rxs, they claim I’m ‘choosing’ the brand and thus am being charged the brand penalty of... the entire price of the medications which is over 2K per month. They’ve been a nightmare. Honestly if I could take generic I would but can’t. How dare you Optum!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Each 90 days I request my sleep medication and I am placed in the queue. In a few days I get a notice the order is being processed. Then it suddenly disappears. I call and endure the hour long wait and runaround. Then I am called and told to call OptumRX. Then they tell me there is a shortage. Then the process begins again with me being at the back of the line. This seems to happen every 90 days. I called my small local pharmacy and they said they had a plentiful supply.

I am done with OptumRx.

Original review: March 18, 2019

First time using United Healthcare and Optum RX. The experience has been horrible. I had to do two overrides just to get one prescription, paying out of pocket for it. This effort took at least 11 hours of my time. Now I need to fill another Rx for my Dad. It is already in their system. Optum has already mailed it in the past. Optum refused to re-fill, saying that the med is not due for refill until 3/25/2019. Well, Dad's will have consumed the last of the script by then! The service rep said there was nothing they could do; I would have to do an override to get an 'emergency' supply. Like I want to spend 11 more hours going through that horrid process again. Gee, is this how United Healthcare manages to keep people from getting their drugs covered? UHC and Optum are shameful operations. Write your state and national representatives to let them know how horrid they are.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This is a mail-order pharmacy associated with United Healthcare and it works quite well and in most cases my copay is zero dollars which is very nice. They even ship my product that needs to be kept cold in a chilled box.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I need a special eye drop. My previous mail order company always delivered with no problems. Then my company switched to OptumRx. EVERY time I need to order this I end up spending anywhere from 30-90 minutes on the phone at least 6 times over the course of 4-6 weeks in order to get it. I get every excuse there is and they always try to get me to get it at the local pharmacy (who never has problems with it being in stock) where it costs $40 opposed to mail order which is $5 or switch to a different drop (higher profit for them) which I can not use.

It's out of stock, it's in stock, they're so sorry, they'll ship it overnight (doesn't happen), send shipping info but it never actually ships, etc. etc. etc. They charge my credit card, return the charge, then charge the card again. Over and over and over it's the same thing every 3 months! I think I have talked to everyone that works for this company from the lowest to the highest. I eventually get it but I must go through this nightmare to do so! If I could change companies, I would in a second. If I could give negative stars for the review I would.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have been on the phone for two hours switched from person, to pharmacy, to care representative back to pharmacy and the process for pre-authorization for necessary medications for immunosuppression following a ten year old organ transplant is ridiculous. Each year, I (or my doctor) must spend time getting pre-authorization for a drug or drugs I have taken each year since 2009. Each year we "do the dance" of pre-authorization. We are first rejected, spend hours on the phone, explain why the drugs are Medicare Part D and not Part B, ultimately get approved and proceed through the year.

Then in January we start the process all over again, even though nothing has changed since it was approved the last time! This year it is something new. They tell me the medicine I need has a grandfathered approval, but the system keeps rejecting it. They don't know why. I have tried calling the Patient Care Advocate three times. She does not call me back. I just finished with a patient care rep. She is trying to get it approved. I am now waiting for her to call me back. Seriously?

Original review: March 11, 2019

Every single time I have ordered from them and I was basically forced to order from them thru their letters stating there would be penalties. Every order has been wrong, when I call, they state the Dr's office didn't send the script... B.S. When I call the Dr office they can tell me exactly when the scripts were sent. Now my Dr has transmittal receipts. They screw every single order up then lie to you. I hate them. Wish they had to deal with their own dummies like we do. I was happier getting med scripts from Walmart who by the way was cheaper.

Original review: March 11, 2019

After a nightmarish experience with Express Scripts, I refused to provide any credit card info to OptumRx when my new plan required we use them. My prescriptions have a $0 copay, so they don't need it, right? So when I recently logged on to renew a prescription, why did I find they have my cc#... and their system won't let me remove the information. Beyond pissed here.

Original review: March 7, 2019

This company has been a problem since they started with me in Nov. 2017. I am a retired NJ State employee who retired with Express Scripts and had no problems. Then NJ State decided to go with OptumRx and it has been nothing but a nightmare. First, OptumRx would not allow me to stay on a non-generic drug which I was on for years with Express Scripts. They would only pay for generic even after the doctor calling them and complaining that the generic did not work as well for me as the non-generic. Then, I got a prescription from my doctor on another occasion for allergy. OptumRx website (when you log in) stated that the cost would be 5.00 but when I took the script to the local pharmacy, they said that OptumRx does not cover that drug. I called OptumRx and they said their website was a mistake and they never offered to make any concessions.

Another problem is if you use their website to price out a medicine before you take the prescription to the pharmacy, I have noticed that the actual price you pay at the pharmacy very rarely comes out to the price indicated on their website. So it becomes difficult to make the best choice on whether to mail in the script or go to the pharmacy for the better price. I never had any of these problems with Express Scripts and hope the NJ State would get rid of OptumRX.

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I left my employer I paid ahead of time for Cobra, Aetna and VSP medical/vision activated my continued insurance with immediately however OptumRx are continuing to say they have not received notification from Cobra - which is a lie, and says it will take 15 days to process... Meanwhile I can't pick a prescription without paying the full amount. Their staff are useless and just read from a script - not solutions focused. This company does everything it can not to pay for your prescriptions - AVOID THEM PLEASE!

Original review: March 5, 2019

My doctor sent a prescription to OptumRx on 2/25/19. They did not receive it till the following day. Order # **. As of 3/2/19, my order had still not yet shipped & they promised it would ship 3/4. As of 3/5, it has still not yet shipped, but I'm now informed it will ship tonight, & it will take 4 more days to deliver. Pony express could deliver it faster. Unacceptable!!!

Original review: March 5, 2019

OptumRX has been allowed to control what my doctors can prescribe by denying specific medications and arguing that the medication doesn't treat my condition. Keep in mind my medication was prescribed by a Specialist who treats this specific disorder. When you are sick it is rather impossible to go thru the many, many levels of dispute that OptumRx requires. Often the information is first responded to by a Pharmacist. How would a Pharmacist know how to RX and treat a rare disorder? Next a nurse practitioner responds...then a MD who is not a specialist with the specific disorder that the medication was recommended to treat. Keep in mind all this is going on...patient is sick and, there is a TIMELINE to respond.

OptumRX is discriminatory towards elderly who need a specific medication that at one time they even reimbursed. To now...trying many new arguments as to reasons NOT to provide medication. They actually control what the doctor is allowed to give and will argue the diagnosis. My quality of life was getting better until OptumRX was hired by Michigan Public Employees (Teacher's Retirement) Plan. The amount of medication had decreased and I was able to become more independent. Now that my medication are controlled and doctor's ability to prescribe the medication they know will work for me I am progressively slipping. Everyone has a unique body chemistry. However OptumRX tells doctors and patients what type of medicine they HAVE to take In order to be covered...even if it has been proven that that specific medication doesn't work or work as well as another.

Under the OptumRx regime we have become 'Stepford patients." This is becoming a form of socialized medicine in which doctors will be keep in line and told what medications and even diagnosis are permitted and if the patient and/or doctors wants to deviate from OptumRx's required drug and brand they are refused reimbursement. The patient may not respond to the required drug or it is not the drug of choice that would improve the quality of a patient's life.

OptumRX needs a Class Action Lawsuit to stop this machine from ruining patients' quality of life as well as keeping doctors from doing what they know is best for a specific patient. Soon doctors will be punished for thinking outside the box and understanding how to use medication to treat unusual disorders or diseases. What happened to democracy in medicine?

I would like to be a part of a Class Action Suit against OptumRx for denial of medication and creating a process of appeal that no person who is sick can possibly fill out requirements... Contact doctors to repeated write and/or make phone calls on my behalf as well as all the other patients that are having trouble getting the medicine they need from OptumRx. No sick person can keep up with rigid timelines that have to be adhered to. No sick person can continually argue with a pharmacist, Nurse, and or doctor as to their diagnosis and need for specific medication that they had paid for for the last 8 years.

Now...I get a letter saying I have to live within a certain area or I will be disenrolled from the OptumRX Medicare Prescription Drug Plan. OptumRX just keeps getting worse. Now they can control where I live in order to fill my prescriptions. What is odd...I have only gone to Florida for the winter months. I return home to get my medications. I have had my medications send to me from my home based pharmacy on 4 occasions. Now OptumRx says they 'received information that my address has changed' and I am going to be disenrolled by a specified date if I don't report my new address. Is this 'big brother'?

This is the first time I have been away from home for winter months. I do NOT get my medications from the state where I am vacationing...and, I still get a letter from OptumRx threatening to disenroll me from the drug plan. Go figure... It is time to end this company's ability to control where I get my medication and where I live and what type, kind of medication my doctor can prescribe in order for me to receive my reimbursement. It is almost not worth having a drug plan that only allows drugs that they deem as appropriate for my diagnosis and treatment plan.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information