1.07/5

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions)

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1495 OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Once again I have spent part of my afternoon on the phone with an OptumRX customer service rep. About a two weeks ago I noticed that I was running low on one of the medications I take on a regular basis. I've been taking this medication for several years now and have been getting it from OptumRx for the last year or so. I needed a renewal so I tried ordering it thru the website. No go. I gave up after a half dozen tries. The website kept giving me various error messages saying that my order was unsuccessful. I called my doctors office and they called in a new prescription for me. I received a confirmation email from OptumRX later that day, complete with a prescription number. It gave the date of when I would receive my medication and that there was NO FURTHER ACTION required from me.

Several days passed before I received another email saying that my order had been delayed but would arrive within the next seven business days. After waiting for several more days I logged onto their website to check on the status of my order only to find that now there was no trace of my order at all. I called customer service only to be told that they would not fill my prescription until my doctor had called the pharmacist. They didn't know why my order was delayed or why the doctor needed to call or what information my doctor needed to supply! This is not the first time that I've had trouble with these people. This is truly the worst pharmacy on the planet.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

OptumRx is absolutely terrible. You fail to send my medicine on time. Then you couldn't provide pre-authorization to pick up emergency medicine from local pharmacy (they tried to charge me full price). After 2 hours phone call and conversation with three representatives it was taking care of. And then similar situation accrued another four times. Every time I need to get my medicine it can not be processed correctly. And I need to spent hours on a phone trying to get arrangements for emergency pre-authorization and rush shipping. OptumRx provides the worst customer service ever. I am going to leave bad reviews in social media and go to local newspaper and a lawyer. I am extremely upset with your company.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Called 5 times over one week to get my son's ADHD meds delivered before he ran out but was lied to each time. Excuses after excuses, one person blaming the other, never getting the real story, just made up tales to get me off the phone. Bottom line is my son is now off meds for two days and I am currently on hold with the next moron trying to somehow convince them that I need his meds now! If I had an option I would never deal with this company again. If possible avoid these idiots at all costs!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Inefficient customer service. They keep sending you texts or leave auto voicemail messages to call them. Then when you try to call them back, good luck in the holding time and finding a customer service person who isn’t programmed worse than a machine. Waste your time, then they don’t know what you are talking about. Even though it is very simple. I have and I am paying the insurance premiums, doctor prescribed the RX for cholesterol, stroke, blood pressure medicine. (Critical medications). Then you will never receive them because of OptumRx inefficiency and disorganized system of communication.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I overnight mailed to OptumRx 2 controlled narcotic prescriptions because I can’t seem to get consistent medication locally. OptumRx received these last Tuesday, I’ve called 3 times, latest being last night and I get I really don’t care attitude. I wouldn’t be concerned if it typically took this long to open and at least enter overnight mail prescriptions. Last night was told that I need to give them 7 to 10 business days. You would think that since they are controlled narcotic prescriptions they would have a little concern and attempt to locate these prescriptions. And just forget trying to talk to a supervisor, won’t happen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

This is the WORST pharmacy and company I've ever dealt with. I was notified that my pharmacy could no longer fill my prescriptions last Thursday, and have called no less than 4 times since then trying to get my 2 transplant drugs switched over. They told me that in 2 days (Thurs. and Fri.) they tried calling my doctor and pharmacy twice (TWICE!), then again on Saturday and all day today (Mon.) and couldn't get them through. I've been out of life-saving medicine (anti-rejection meds) since Friday, and no action - just constant run-around. If you have options other than this ridiculous excuse for a pharmacy, USE THEM!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I use a local pharmacy and OptumRX. OptumRX said my new medication wasn't covered. They sent a letter both to me and my physician that said we were to use 3 other medications 1st. My physician chose one and they filled it. They charged my credit card 390.00 for the prescription! I have the prescription that wasn't covered according to OptumRX at my local pharmacy and it was 20.99. A good company would have called with the cost of the medication BEFORE filling it! It's been one problem after another with them. I'm moving my prescriptions to a local pharmacy. I chose OptumRX because my tier 1 & 2 medications were to be free. That only happened on my 1st order. Bait and Switch seems to be how they operate. I'm done and disappointed I even tried them the first time. Warning to all, stay away from OptumRX in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been trying to have my husband's prescription refilled. It is a refill of an existing prescription from the same doctor that has been in place for years. The doctor has sent a fax THREE times in ten days, and OptumRx can't seem to process it. It is a blood pressure medication, and I can't imagine there is any value to withholding a generic BP medication. I have spoken to a representative and sent two message on their system and still no action. What is wrong with this company?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had OptumRx through my employer for two years now and it has been nothing but a stressful experience! Every time I get a prescription to pick up for some reason my insurance doesn't want to cover it! I've heard, "prenatal vitamins are not covered", "The medication your Dr. requested doesn't seem medically necessary based on your symptoms" and mind you it was medicine to treat IBS because I was having issues using the restroom.

All the money I pay into this and for what? For them to get richer! Worse customer experience over and over again. Countless claims, countless prior authorizations... all to go nowhere! The recent customer service experience was with a manager named Vick **. in Oklahoma City. Her associates gave me the "I don't know why either" excuse and when I told them I wanted to speak to a manager Vicky had zero inclination as well. How are customer service representatives paid to help assist customers when they aren't trained properly or have the necessary resources required??! 57 minutes of wasted time! I'd rather pay a million dollars more to be on my husbands plan than deal with this BS Thank goodness open enrollment is coming up so I can opt out.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Very poor customer service. They never respond to email inquiries, or they do by telling you to call the number on your card. The young lady I spoke with today didn’t speak proper English and kept laughing on the phone. I know I was frustrated but if you pick up a prescription and are told it’s going to cost you $1200 I bet you would be too! I pay a pretty penny for insurance and to be laughed at by the so-called “customer advocate” is simply unacceptable. I hope she never finds herself in a situation where you are given a medical diagnosis and are told you need a specific medication and it’s out of your price range. OptumRx I strongly suggest you train and monitor your “customer advocates” as well as revisit your policies. The worst prescription company I have ever come across.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have to use mail order by OptumRx. They called it maintenance program. I have two health conditions. One of my medications they charged me $500.00 for on two separate occasions on my husband's credit card. My husband called them and they said I hadn't met my deductible. I want out of this mail order. These people are con artists. I can get this medicine cheaper without using my insurance. I will avoid these crooks even if I pay out of pocket. They should be looked into and prosecuted for ripping people off.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If you are able to successfully navigate through Optum's website, you have experienced a major accomplishment. If you have done it without wanting to scream, you've accomplished an even greater task! When calling to straighten out a problem, you never get the same person or the same answer twice. All orders come from different pharmacies and the right hand never knows what the left is doing. After apologies and promises to ship overnight at their expense, my prescription doesn't arrive! Now I'm out of my medication! My physician calls Optum and they keep her on the phone for 30 minutes trying to solve the problem! My medication still does not ship. After speaking to a rep at Optum, she transfers me to a pharmacist that says my medication is no longer manufactured. It only took one more call to my physician, a short trip to CVS, and I have a 90 day supply in my hand!! Finally... After many years as a customer, I am done with OptumRx!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I ordered my prescription through them because my health insurance would only cover mail order through this company. So I placed a order. Not only was I being charged more now than going to pick up my prescription but way more complicated. I thought this was a easier way and less expensive. How wrong I was! I never got confirmation or a tracking number when the package was sent, plus paid extra for second day shipping which never got. Then trying to talk with a representative there is like getting my teeth pulled. Needless to say I never got my prescription and they wouldn’t give me a refund or replace what they said they shipped. So now I’m off my blood thinners and hope I get a blood clot and die! What a crappy world we live in...

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

The last three times I saw my doctor and he electronically filled my Rx with Optum. They said they did not get. It took several phone calls to resolve. My last visit, I watched my Doc put the meds in the system, send them off, he got a "received" response and guess what... When I called they claimed they didn't get.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We are not customers of theirs. They somehow got our phone number and they call us every day, sometimes twice a day with a recorded message about our "account". Which we don't have. We've never done business with them. I've spent hours on the phone with them trying to get them to stop calling us and they say they will but the calls continue.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My doctor sent prescriptions for 4 medicines to OptumRx which I received an email confirmation saying that they would arrive on Oct 6, 2018. It is now Oct. 10th and they have not been filled yet. I have sent them to a new pharmacy since I was to start the medicines immediately. While they stall and say they are "reviewing" and not telling me where the drugs are, I am getting sicker. What is wrong with this company? I am writing to AARP MedicareRX Plans, UnitedHealthCare, to let them know that OptumRx has a problem.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

15 minutes ago details. I can never win with you guys... I don't need that much of strips but you still send me 60 days supply when I just got 30 day supply from Walgreens... I'm giving birth next month. I only use this strips 'cause of gestational diabetes... what will I do to those strips? I have to pay 60 USD per week for doctor's appointment then pay insulin. We still have bills to pay to live and I have to pay 87 USD to strips that I won't even use. Your representative just suggest I can donate them then... so I will pay for the strips just to donate them?!! When I can use that 87 USD for diapers and formulas... you never made it easy for me. You are stressing me over and over again...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have been trying to get this Rx filled for my husband all this week and now he is finally without this medication. He first had an Rx for this medication for 15 mg but he's taking two per night, so I called the Dr. ** office (his primary dr.) and they confirmed that they had sent an Rx to Optum for this medication and the increased strength of 30 mg. I have to this date not received any medication and I did talk to someone in the Rx department and they had said they were rushing this medication to us and that was about 3 or 4 days ago. Something needs to be done with how medications are filled. I get several calls for myself and I also have OptumRx and they keep wanting to know if I'm taking my medication. If there is so much concern then why is there so much of a delay in getting this medication sent to my husband.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Began with OptumRX at the recommendation of insurance company to reduce cost to me. Initial cost of medications listed looked great, when processed cost was ten times that initial listed cost. Called, or had them call me back since that is the only way to contact them, and requested all relationship with OptumRX be ended. Was assured that had happened, then a month later another order processed at twenty times what I pay at CVS; “called” again, was assured all ties were broken, all orders removed, all prescriptions canceled. No confirmation provided, no way of knowing if I am finally done with OptumRX; time will tell. At this time I have not yet received a prescription nor have I paid them anything, I cannot recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Like most Briova patients, I am seriously ill and my insurance company dictates this pharmacy. Customer service people barely speak English. Obviously, we are all being forced to use this pharmacy. It is dangerous to not be able to communicate with the people that are handling the medications that our lives depends on. Not to mention, the frustration and stress that we go through. There needs to be action against the insurance company that makes us use them and the indifference and lack of patient service we receive from Briova.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This company always overpromises and underdelivers. It takes multiple days for them to process and send critical meds such as insulin. When you speak with customer service they will tell you a different story with each phone call. They don't follow up with phone calls when your meds are going to be delayed, when they have issues with your medications, can't reach your doctor, etc. My insurance requires that we use this company and all of my co-workers have experienced or are experiencing the same issues. We have complained to our insurance company and to OptumRx directly to no avail.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

After repeatedly paying for expedited shipping and receiving meds a week later, I finally gave up on them. Additionally, even though I had meds coming to my address, often they would ship them to my mom (who has severe Alzheimers), and I would find out about them sometimes a month later. Terrible company and service!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Their systems are terrible and their personnel are not much better. They can only stay in business because they have a captive customer base. If they were operating in a free market environment they would be out of business in 6 months. IF YOU CAN POSSIBLY USE A DIFFERENT VENDOR, DO SO.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Refused to process my $571.00 request for reimbursement. I was w/o Insurance for 5 weeks due to my employer’s inept associate’s failing to make my COBRA payment. I needed meds so paid out-of-pocket & submit reimbursement later. Request denied as using toward my deductible. Now I have no recourse and Optum knows that. Why did they lead me to believe my claim would be processed in the first place. Never had an issue taking my payments.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with this mail-order service for several reasons. First of all, their website and phone system are constantly breaking down and requiring me to delay calling in a prescription. Secondly, this last experience was a final nail in the coffin. I ordered my pills that I take for asthma, but was told that they were in a 30-day supply instead of a 90-day supply, as the doctor requested it. I ordered the tablets, but I changed my mind and called them back to cancel the order. A couple of hours later, I received an e-mail saying the order had been processed! I called them and told them that I cancelled the order, but they said it had already shipped. Now I have to eat the extra $3 for a 30-day supply, instead of paying nothing for a 90-day supply. They deliberately went against my wishes to cancel the order, and now I have to eat the cost.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I am a Crohn’s Disease patient. In order to live life similar to those who are healthy, I have a team of doctors, medications and pharmacies I depend on. I write this complaint about the pharmacy, BriovaRx. Briova is one of many pharmacies I use, generally I go to Walgreens and Duane Reade. I am forced to use Briova as the medication I take for Crohn’s is considered a specialty drug by my insurance company Oxford (United Healthcare). Briova has major issues with their system. They do not notify a patient of issues with a prescription or refill until it is time to schedule a refill. This is counterintuitive as it notifies the patient too late for the next refill. I was notified last Friday that Briova required action from me and my doctor’s office, my prescription was expired.

I informed Briova that I am due for my next dose the following Wednesday. I was assured this was not a big problem and that they would turn the new prescription around as soon as it is received. I was not informed about their 72-hour turnaround time. This was brought to my attention today, Wednesday, September 19th, 2018.

I called Briova on Tuesday, September 18th, 2018 to inform them that my doctor sent in a new prescription and to check whether there were any issues that I can help resolve by coordinating with my doctor. I was told there were no issues with the prescription but that it could not be passed onto the pharmacist until the next day. No proper reason was provided for this even after I explained my situation. I was told my prescription would be flagged urgent and I can expect it to be processed the following day with a delivery date of Thursday, September 20th.

Without a choice for anything else I hung up the phone with the knowledge that my dose would be a day late. I am currently going through a Crohn’s flare which is worsened by stress and can have me hospitalized for weeks. I called Briova today (Wednesday, September 19, 2018) to check on my prescription. I was informed that nothing was done with my prescription and it was never sent to their pharmacist. I was given the same script about flagging my prescription urgent and how this is not their fault as the pharmacy required 72 hours to turn around a prescription.

The issue here is clear. Briova should have notified me weeks ago when my last prescription was filled. It is standard for a pharmacy to notify a patient that the medication they are receiving does not have any more refills. This allows a patient to contact their doctor to receive a new prescription while giving the pharmacy enough time to process it without causing stress or missed doses for the patient. Why does Briova not follow the same guidelines? Why was I notified 3 business days before my next dose if the pharmacy has a policy of 3 business days to process new prescriptions? Additionally, why is no one at Briova taking responsibility for not processing my prescription after I was told it would be processed? If I did not call to check on the prescription today, Briova would not have known they did not process a life-saving prescription.

I called Oxford United Healthcare to notify them that the specialty pharmacy they do sole business with is doing this to their patients. I doubt United Healthcare will take any action. It’s unfortunate because I have read multiple accounts of this occurring to other patients of United Healthcare and Briova. Multiple things need to happen to help all the sick people who depend on these drugs to keep them alive and healthy.

United Healthcare needs to take responsibility for the business relationships they have, especially if they will only use one company to fill their specialty drugs. Briova needs to update their system to one similar to every other pharmacy. Walgreens for example will text, call or email a patient within minutes if there is an issue with a prescription. It is unreal that a pharmacy can notify a patients days before their required dose that action is required from the patient or doctor, knowing that an earlier notification is possible during the previous refill processing.

I have spoken to both Briova and United Healthcare, but neither seem to care about this recurring issue or the patients they are forcing into this stressful and life-threatening issue. Even if United Healthcare chooses to overlook what is being done to their members, they should care about their bottom line. I can’t imagine it is better to force people into hospitalizations and ER visits due to this negligence. The costs alone should get the health insurance’s attention. I’m hoping this complaint will get to the decision makers of these businesses and initiate change.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I talked to a customer service rep three different times. Everyone seemed helpful on the phone but they have some serious issues following through. No one could give me a clear answer on why my prescription wasn't going through and I never received a call back like the rep said. They finally said my insurance no longer allowed my medication to be shipped through the mail because it's a controlled substance. This left me with questions because a month prior the same medication was shipped with Express Scripts. Recently while talking to a rep she said she would send over my prescription to a local pharmacy. It's now five days after the fact and the pharmacy said they never received a request. This all took 3 weeks. It's a terrible business model especially when they're messing with people's health.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

When I call my prescription company I expect knowledgeable people to be handling my call. I certainly wouldn’t think this was too much to ask. I called to reorder a prescription for **, 20mg. today. Because my medications are unbelievably expensive I had already reached the limit where I am now in the donut hole for medications. My cost for this med was to be $432.00, which I could not afford to pay. I asked a simple question, “Is there a generic brand for **?” I waited while the representative checked with the pharmacy. He came back and told me the medication was **. I told him I would call back and order this after checking with my doctor.

A few minutes later I thought I would call back to see if there was a 10mg. tablet of **? The representative said there was and the cost for 90 days would be $67.00. I was very surprised at the difference in price between the 20mg. ($432) and the 10mg.($67). I asked him to tell me why the price was so different and he said he didn’t know but would transfer me to the pharmacy department. Once connected to the pharmacy, I asked the same question again and she said the cost for the 10mg. was $413. I asked how he could make such a mistake and she said it was a miscommunication. I then asked her about the generic that I was told of, **, and she said, “That’s a blood pressure medicines not a blood thinner.” At that point I was very upset that not only was I suggested an incorrect medication for my illness, I was given wrong pricing for the cost of the drug.

Again, she said this was a miscommunication and apologized. This was a potentially very serious communication error on OptumRx part! I asked to speak to a supervisor to relay what had happened. After being held on hold for a short period, a person named, tom, (he refused to give me his last name), told me that I asked for an alternative drug for ** and the representative did nothing wrong! HE DIDN’T HAVE ANY ANSWER FOR THE PRICING ERRORS. I’m taking this time to write this note as a warning to any person ordering drugs from OptumRx, the representatives answering the phones either are not well trained or the information available to them is very lacking. Since this company is owned by United Healthcare I would have expected better service.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

It seems like most people in my office are experiencing their prescriptions being denied. Thank goodness we're not a prescription needing family. Two of my prescriptions were denied by this horrible company. It's now going on 1 month and my doctor said my levels are dropping, but gave me samples to hold me over. Only to find out that the samples are good but what if I need them for a period of time. She can't give me samples until the levels get to where they need to be. I never had this problem under my old plan but my company went with this crappy prescription company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

For the employees that work at OptumRx who dislike getting yelled at, I have a fun story to tell. You changed my meds to be a controlled substance without an email, phone call, or letter in the mail. Not knowing about this change I had to then rush order my meds (which means I had to pay an extra fee on already expensive meds). Nobody could explain to me why the meds changed. It took me TWO years to finally have a rep to tell me why I was no longer able to get my meds at my local pharmacy. Talk about stress. Stress causes seizures and those meds are suppose to control them. No meds means more seizures. Thanks Optum for "caring" about my health. The fun part of this story is that the post office lost it (and do so about every time) and when I called for help, nobody could do anything. I do get an email after they are delivered. Well, sort of. Meds got delivered on a Monday, Tuesday at 3am I get an email saying they were delivered.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information