3.26/5

formerly Prescription Solutions

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

1620 OptumRx Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2019

They have some of the lowest prices and offer quick delivery of prescriptions. Their app is very easy to navigate and they have excellent customer service to assure that you get your prescriptions on time.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This is a mail-order pharmacy associated with United Healthcare and it works quite well and in most cases my copay is zero dollars which is very nice. They even ship my product that needs to be kept cold in a chilled box.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Have used OptumRx for years for med. prescriptions. A little rough in past but much better now. They are helpful, pleasant to work with, and caring. An occasional bump in the road, but rectified quickly. When receiving a prescription I receive numerous paper instructions. Ok, I get it but you should use both sides of paper. I don't read most of it. It's become redundant. I'm aware I can get that info online but frankly I don't want all that stuff sitting in my PC.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have been using OptumRx since 2013. I live in MI. I don't know if problems are regional or not. I have had very positive experiences with them, be it by phone, text or computer! They have called me if a fax for prescription refills sent to my dr office had not been responded to, and asked for my help. I have not been advised by the drs office that they had responded, just saying that they would put the prescription through. I have not had problems with orders being messed up in any way! In fact, I had to leave home for personal reasons several times. Each time when I asked for refills, using my tablet or laptop, I put a new address into the mailing address. I did receive my medications without problems at my temporary address. OptumRx has called me to see how things were going, and inform me of other benefits on their site that I might be interested in! I am really shocked all the complaints, I really don't understand it!

Original review: June 15, 2019

Disappointing and frustrating (1.0). I am caretaker of my husband who has several medical issues and takes a lot of medications. I also take many. The hassle of going to different local pharmacies one day and another on another day was wearing me out. Solution? OptumRx - NO. As hard as I tried to set up accounts for my husband and myself, could not. Signed up as caregiver but it didn't allow me to see my husband's account. So now I am caregiver to myself. Maybe it's an online issue but that's what I wanted, to manage online!

I registered for myself but then couldn't get his. I registered for him but then couldn't see mine. I called several people, several times and couldn't get them to understand the problem. Each kept telling me to change passwords then receive a text with a code. Did this several times! I have been dealing with this all day. I do not want to change anything again! Set up for caregiver isn't working. VERY frustrated. Don't I have enough to deal with?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: June 14, 2019

I am now a week past when I was supposed to have my medicine. I have been waiting on a PA, which has so far taken longer than their maximum estimate. No news. First call I made, go through the automated system, get the status, wait for a real person, finally get one. She calls me ma'am the whole time.. Not that I really care, but firstly; I have a deep voice, second; this is a health company isn't it?? Seems to me they should be able to double check their guess quite easily. Whatever though, not a big deal, just a red flag as to competence. She also didn't know what medication I was calling about, but there's only ONE. You looked up my account, twice. umm.. Literally the only thing she could do was repeat exactly what I can see online. 'Pending'. Could not tell me anything else. Told me I had zero course of action. I'd just have to go without meds that are time sensitive and scheduled. Cool. You do realize you're supposed to be a 'health' company, right?

Second call, same thing but at the end she said there was a different number to the PA department. Later when I called it was the same person. Couldn't tell me anything. She did say my doctor's office could waste some more of their time filing out an 'expedite' request (why didn't anyone say this before now?). Even though the time period they already quoted had lapsed. For some reason, the PA department couldn't just do that, and neither could I. My doctor and MA have to spend more of their very valuable time doing your job for you instead of helping people. What's messed up is that this company seems to be making people less healthy, which I guarantee eats into your profitability. Unless the only point is to do the minimum necessary to keep up the sham of a service, and screw the rest out of benefits. My employer just switched plans, I would never recommend.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Really bad customer service. Got the runaround when I needed a prior authorization for a medication my doctor prescribed. Medication was prescribed on May 31. Received notification that a prior authorization was required. Dr. sent required paperwork. Prior authorization was denied the same day, May 31. Dr. sent in more information on June 5. OptumRX appeals department says they didn't get the information until June 7, 2 days later. I called on June 10 and was told that it takes 48 hrs for appeals. Called back on June 12 and was told by John that there was nothing in my file for the medication. Called the appeals department and was told it takes up to 15 business days for the appeals review. What the heck is going on with this company? I can see information on the portal that your employees say they can't see. You need to properly train your employees. You are messing with someone's health and well being.

Original review: June 11, 2019

WORST mail-order pharmacy EVER! I had a three week supply of insulin when I placed order. I have NONE and not expecting to get the order for at least 2 days. They can't manage anything in a reasonable manner. Order was on hold but I was not notified it was on hold! How am I supposed to resolve a hold if I do not know there is one!

Original review: June 8, 2019

The customer service person did everything she could to keep me from getting my prescription from CVS. I insisted that I would pay the additional cost to use CVS several times. She finally said she would set it up so I could use CVS get my prescriptions but she was put off by having to do it and rude for the rest of the call. By the end of the day I was no closer to get my prescription. Being with CalPERS we have no choice but using OPTUMRX. They know that and so why should have put themselves out.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Saying they are inept, incompetent idiots does not adequately describe OptumRx. Most recently, I entered a refill order a month ago. When it didn't arrive, I went online and saw all five prescriptions were available for refill, so I assumed I had only imagined ordering. I placed the entire order again and saw the confirmation. After a week, checked and guess what. Yes, nothing had changed. All still available for reorder. The billing department is no better. A year ago they billed me nearly $600 twice. Called and got them and they agreed to refund the charge. The refund, for some reason, was $7.94 less than the charge. Called them three times and sent them copies of the credit card statement. Still no luck so I've given up.

Three months ago I got a letter stating there was a problem processing my order and I should call them. Called to find out there was no problem, the representative thanked me for being a customer for the last six months. I've been a customer for over three years. Then it dawned on me, my account was out of balance by $7.94 so they cancelled that account and started a new one. This place needs to be audited and investigated. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My company switched us to OptumRx in January 2019, and dealing with them has been a nightmare since day 1. The customer service reps are friendly, but they're clearly not trained in anything medical---they spell drug names to me because they can't pronounce them. Don't bother using their online form for someone to contact you---they don't bother to call you.

In addition to using OptumRx for mail order scripts, they have a contract with a large drug store chain so you can get 90 days meds at your local pharmacy, but they aren't allowed to dispense 90 days of meds. I use an eye drop for glaucoma and have always gotten 3 bottles each time I get a refill. OptumRx has counted the drops in each bottle and won't let the local drug store dispense 3 bottles because the amount of drops comes out to more than 90 days. But OptumRx is allowed to dispense the 3 bottles. I had to switch a maintenance drug because OptumRx does not cover my dose, but the replacement drug isn't on their maintenance list, so I can only get 30 days supply at my local drug store. But once again, OptumRx is allowed to dispense 90 days of this medication.

OptumRx FORCES you to use their mail order service but makes you fight for everything you need. This company is shady for forcing you to use their mail order service, and they really need to train their customer service reps---they should be able to pronounce the medications we call them about. OptumRx needs an overhaul, and maybe the Insurance Commission should pay them a visit.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have gone around and around with this company that it has been the standing joke with friends. Every time you call you get a different answer, it’s a complete circus act at this company. I spend so much time on the phone with this company and get nowhere. My doctor wrote a script for a 90 day supply, they won’t send it. They will send me a 30 day supply but a 90 day. They have given me an excuse that my plan doesn’t cover it. The latest drama. I took a medication 6 months ago, it was an extended release, I’m on the medication with the same strength but on a sustained release. The pharmacist won’t fill it because she wants “clarification” from the doctor. I have never heard a pharmacist feel she needs to intervene on a valid script. I am filing a complaint with my company. This company is absolutely horrible.

Original review: May 30, 2019

In the last 2 weeks I have spent no less than 6 hours on the phone trying to find out why we were not getting a medication refill that is supposed to have a valid script good through 12/31/2019. Each and every time the person I talk to tells me something different from the last person I spoke to. Yesterday evening when the call center rep (notice I didn't say customer service) came back to the line after putting me on hold for 54 minutes that I was done. She would come back on the line at least every minute to say 'I'm still working on this, thank you for your patience'. At the 54 minute mark I said NO MORE. This call put me over 3 hours with this company yesterday alone! And, as of today, still no resolution.

Original review: May 29, 2019

My employer uses OptumRx as a pharmacy benefits manager. I use one specialty medication, ** eye drops for a chronic dry eye condition. ** is supplied in two formats, a multi-dose bottle which has a month's supply and individual dropperlets which are one or two day's supply of medication. My eye doctor prescribed the multi-dose medication in February and I received a 3 month supply from OptumRx. Now that it is time to refill the prescription, the manufacturer is not able to supply ** in the multi-dose format. OptumRx instructed me my doctor would have to write a new prescription for the dropperlets method of delivery. My doctor's office sent the prescription to OptumRx electronically 6 days ago and OptumRx has no record of receiving it.

Today they sent a fax to my doctor's office requesting a prescription. I will have to call back into OptumRx to find out whether they've received the prescription, and then there's another step where I have to order it! It is annoying and embarrassing to have to keep calling my doctor's office to compensate for the broken processes on OptumRx's side. My doctor's office is a small business that is bearing the burden of a lot of work for a company whose parent is a multi-billion dollar health care company. I feel sorry for all the customer service reps I speak to on the phone who have to bear the brunt of all the frustrated customers. My next step is to complain to my company's benefits department about the poor service and bad experiences I've had with OptumRx. Oh, and worst of all they have chatbots to deal with questions! Automation is no substitute for broken processes.

Original review: May 28, 2019

A mail order company that is not saving me any money and requires me to buy three months of a prescription that I have problems paying for one month. Forced to go off my medication. Absolutely ridiculous. And one star is too much.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I am forced use OptumRx via contract through my retiree benefits. Every time my insulin order is suppose to ship it does not. I have to call every time and argue with someone. It states clear on packaging when the next can ship. When I call they always give some arbitrary date down the road 5-10 days later. I realize that insulin is expensive but to try and shave days every due date is just plain wrong. They save all those days over the course of a year it saves them thousands regardless of what risk it causes to already debilitating disease. They should be investigated.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Every time I need a prescription there is a delay and problem. My doctor authorized a new medication for me that required pre-authorization before it was covered. This went through 4 days ago and I ordered the medication. They have been "reaching out" to my doctor for approval for the last 4 days. My doctor's office contacted them again yesterday and were told all is complete, still no updates, no reply to messages. Wasting 20 mins on the phone to be told the same thing. It is now a holiday weekend and I am without medication. This was a process that began over a week ago. I cannot wait until my company changes back to another script service. OptumRx is frustrating and doesn't care about the patient.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My 82-year old mother is being forced to use OptumRX for one particular subscription -- it is a brand name sleeping pill. Every three months it is the same old song and dance... "We need a new script from your doctor," or "His signature looks wrong so we are calling to confirm (and of course, that takes days)," or "It is being sent out and you should receive it on XX day" and then XX day comes and you hear it has been cancelled. My mom has a heart condition and is an insomniac -- with this pill she gets 4 hours of sleep a night which helps to lower the strain on her heart. OptumRX does nothing but stress her out on a regular basis. This to save a few bucks?! Ridiculous. Their customer service absolutely sucks. If you have a choice to work with another pharmacy, ANY OTHER PHARMACY, take it -- nothing is worse than this company.

Original review: May 21, 2019

One window in my OptumRX account says that I have no email address on file. So I click on the add an email address and it goes to the window that shows my email address. It is very confusing. I am trying to go paperless but can't enter an email address. They say I don't have when it clearly shows it in the system, This company's website sucks.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I called at 12:45PM EST for help. I had ran out of ** insulin. My mistake, I thought I had a box left but it was **. After a couple transfers, I was assured that the 90 day supply was on its way and that an exemption for an emergency 30 day was on its way to CVS in my area. A full 6 hours later I went to CVS in my area and they had no idea what I was talking about. I called UHG back and they recognized that I had called earlier and asked if it was about the same thing. I said yes and was put on hold for 30 minutes (thanks for asking). Someone finally answered and he had no idea what I was talking about either (clearly I was transferred to the right place, and thanks again for asking). He transferred me to another guy who said CVS has to provide me with a prescription for a 30 day supply before OptumRx can cover it.

If I had not not been LIED TO earlier in the afternoon, I would have had time to request a prescription from MY DOCTOR! I mean I know that doctors have less and less authority these days but I think they still need to issue prescriptions (you know the paperwork). I pressed the OptumRx guy further and he insisted, "Yes, the Pharmacy must issue you a prescription". When I told him what he was saying he corrected himself and said, "Oh yeah, a doctor has to prescribe a 30 day supply." A lot of good that does me now, 6 hours later when all doctors have already gone home. I asked again, 'Is there nothing you can do'? He said 'No not without a 30 day prescription'. Why did I bother calling, I'd get better service in a morgue.

Original review: May 16, 2019

OptumRx is owned by United Health Care. I recently cancelled United Insurance and moved to BC/BS. I had couple of Rx refill with Optum. I called Optum to see how much they would charge without insurance as I could buy those medications from Costco or Walmart for 5 dollars or less. Publix provides them for free. Optum quoted me 145 dollars and I said no thank you. I told the operator not to send any Rx and I will be transferring them to Walmart. They also have my credit number but they are not Allowed to charge without my permission.

Three days later I get an email that they shipped my order. I called right back and explained that I neither ordered the Rx nor did I authorized to charge my credit card. I spoke with the supervisor who assured me that the order wasn’t shipped and my credit card will be promptly credited. I asked her to send me a confirmation email that she said will go out but later. The email never came at the end of the day so I called back. This time A gentleman answered my call and could find any record of the content of my earlier conversation. I told him I am not accepting the shipment. He told to accept the shipment and return them. They are going to send a return package to send it in. I never got the return envelope. They also never reversed the charges. I finally filed a dispute with the credit card. NEVER trust Optum with your credit card, debit card or bank account.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was forced to use OptumRx Specialty Pharmacy so I can be treated with severe migraines (I have them so bad I have a service dog who alerts me when I can't drive or leave my house) and they have been absolutely terrible to deal with. I have an outstanding bill from over a year ago when I started using a company that was actually in-network with my insurance (and Optum never notified me that I was paying for out of pocket services for 4 years!!!!).

I started using another company to ship to my doctor's office and without my consent or payment upfront they shipped my medication to my doctors anyway (so I had a double shipment) and they have been claiming that I still owe the amount of the medication since my doc's didn't send it back!!!! I also moved during that time and they updated my mailing address but they didn't update my billing address so I didn't receive the duplicate bill for over a year after I had already moved pharmacy companies. I can't believe their incompetence. One other time it actually took them a year to file a claim with my insurance and then expected me to pay for it!!! Unbelievable.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My doctor sent in a prescription which should've been sent out on 5/6/19. I called them on 5/10/19 to get an idea of when I would receive it, only to be told they haven't processed it yet. After being on the phone for over an hour, the lady finally told me they've processed it but to call this other number to find out when they'll send it out. I call the other number and they have no record of my order and don't fill for that particular prescription. Then I call back and have to explain everything to the second person, as they don't make notes. Second person hangs up on me or gets disconnected and doesn't bother to call back.

I call a third time, and the this guys seems helpful and says he's processed it and I should receive it no later than 5/13/19. I don't receive it. I call them again on 5/15 asking the status and the lady says she'll process it and have it expedited. I share my frustration and explain that the gentleman on 5/10 said that, and she puts me on a long hold for 43 minutes until I hung up. Worse experience ever! They don't care at all about their patients or their needs. They seem very unorganized, incompetent, unapologetic, and don't care to put you at risk with their delay.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Prescription received 2/15/2019 with a $125 co-poy. OPTUMRX by ACH transfer charged my checking account $375.00. On 2/21/2019 I was told it was a computer glitch and a request for a $250.00 would be made to the accounting dept. Today, May 10, 2019, after many emails back and forth regarding this refund, was advised the refund is pending.

Original review: May 9, 2019

They are an extreme headache to work with. They charge you for prescriptions that are covered by your insurance. Their customer service is HORRIBLE. I have endometriosis so I need a consistent birth control and they’re sending me a new brand every 3 months. I have now been on my period for 3 weeks and the cycle I had beforehand only ended 2 weeks before that. I have been non stop sick. They’re always trying to cut corners to save pennies here and there. Make sure you tell your doctor to put “prescribe as is” on all your prescriptions or they will be sending you something new every 90 days.

Original review: May 7, 2019

OptumRx is the worst. Avoid them at all costs. My PA came expired as it does annually. OptumRx failed to notify anyone about this until I was being denied at the pharmacy counter for a Rx they approved and filled without issue for the past 12 months. Now they stopped filling it stating manufacturers suggested dosage, which hasn’t changed since they previously approved it. Long story short, OptumRx does not care about improving patient outcomes and frankly, after hours of pointless waiting on hold to speak with customer service that can offer no assistance whatsoever, I’m not sure they even have patients' best interests in mind. Period. Still without meds... Thanks for looking out and improving my patient outcome.

Original review: May 6, 2019

This is May 6, 2019. For over 4 months I have reoccurring problem that ended two days ago with my calling emergency to obtain medicine. Doctor I have not seen in almost a year kept getting Rx reorder faxes from OptumRX. Caused many problems as I would neither receive my medications nor any notice until week later! Each time OptumRx would PROMISE to purge old Doctor and replace with current one. Every time they DID NOT DO SO! Then beta blocker/blood pressure ran out, did NOT receive Med at all. AGAIN had sent to old Doctor!!! I have screenshots of recent calls for 58 minutes, 1 hour 23 minutes, etc. Team came to house, saw my evidence, did exam and immediately sent to pharmacy and I got lucky as not having is probability for stroke, heart attack and death. THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

Original review: May 4, 2019

This mail order company is okay as long as your drug is generic. I need to take a Brand drug and my experience has been nothing but a MIGRAINE. I have only been using this company since January 2019. Initially it took me 9 calls to get my medicine delivered that included a prior authorization and a tier reduction. Now that I need a refill, I have made at least that many calls again to be told a variety of stories with each call. Today I am going to a local pharmacy to pick up a 30 day supply and will have to pay out-of-pocket $350 because OptumRx refuses to fill a prescription for a medicine that I have been taking for 15 years.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I am new to OptumRx. I have a hearing problem and am deeply disappointed that the customer service is now outsourced to a foreign country because I can’t understand their accent and get frustrated when I have to ask them to repeat information. HOW CHEESY. Then, I have 2 scripts that they are sitting on which went thru their PA system, peer review and now, 7 days later claim they don’t have the script. I don’t care that I am paying more, I don’t have time for insurance games! Shame on you UHC.

Original review: May 3, 2019

OptumRx has overfilled my prescription for ** so that I have 3 bottles of 90 day meds. I see that ORx has sent 3 bottles from 3 different manufacturers for the ** in less than 6 months. How can this possibly be the case? Who changes manufacturers for a major product class every few months? When I called in about the issue the rep stated there was nothing they could do about it. I felt as if she only patronized me so I asked to formally log a complaint.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information