formerly Prescription Solutions

3.8/5 (742 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I agree with the last several reviews that I read. Nothing but aggravation dealing with OpRX. Just paid $38.67 for a 90 day supply. Walgreens is $16. GOODRX IS $7.85. Thought I was supposed to save money by using mail order, 90 days. 6 months and not one good thing to say. How do they have a 3.5 star rating?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I am a diabetic, with stage 2 CKD and one kidney. As of 1/1/23, Optum required a prior authorization for **, a medication I have been on for over a year with excellent results. When my doctor sent the prior authorization request to Optum, it was denied because they didn’t answer why I couldn’t take **. While my doctor has provided this info in the past, apparently Optum doesn’t “store” this information. Also, they needed to let Optum know that this medication was not for weight loss alone. Again, diabetic with 1 kidney and stage 2 CKD.

I was directed to file an appeal only to be told the doctor must do it. Was then told by Optum to contact the mail order pharmacy for an emergency supply while my appeal was in the process. Well, they can’t do that because they can’t “break up a pen package”. This is the worst prescription insurance I have ever dealt with! Why would they not keep this information in your file so these questions don’t need to be answered every time a prescription needs to be refilled? What a circus!!!

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Today I spoke with an incredibly kind, compassionate, and encouraging, representative in the Specialty Department at Optum Specialty Pharmacy. His name is Victor ** (**). I attempted on three different occasions to do the survey after the call and kept getting disconnected. I am so compelled to share my experience because this man is an absolute GEM! I haven't received customer support like what he gave me in YEARS.

Victor literally made me feel as though he cared for my needs and concerns as if he were my brother or best friend. He was so jolly, eager to help, and happy to help! Answered ALL my questions. He encouraged me. He was so patient with me as well. I couldn't be more grateful or sing enough praises over him. He was extremely acknowledgeable! He really just made my day! I really do hope his dedication to the patients is acknowledged and recognized by his superiors! When a patient is calling in, in Spain, maybe even just rude for whatever reason, I don't care what it is! He would be a superb mentor I believe! He naturally has a gift that that is impossible to go unnoticed!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

My wife and I decided to take a long winter vacation and try out snowbirding like tens of thousands of Americans! So was needed way to get out prescriptions delivered to us where ever we are. Unfortunately our main insurance company is tied to OptumRx. We have no choice unless we drive or fly thousands of miles back to our regular pharmacy in our home state. Each month OptumRx presents us with challenges that make taking a vacation impossible to enjoy. They change how they bill, how they approve and just about anything else that will slow down getting medication we need. If they are not intentionally delaying some they are overprescribing some. Then they try to renew these over-prescribed meds when we have a Year's supply already from 1-2 months ago. This month they are asking $100 for a script that's only supposed to cost a few $!!!!

Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place again having to spend hours on the phone with the offshore call center, contact with the company in the USA is impossible! No way to file a complaint that does anything against them! My wife's one medication keeps her alive. It's for her permanent disability, they messed that up this month causing another delay that could send her to the hospital. She could die without it. If you need life sustaining medicine this is the worst company to have your insurance company force on you! We only want to see the USA in our older years something all Americans should have the right to without a company like OptumRx putting your life at risk!

With inflation today we don't have the money to throw away at this company just to get what we are supposed to with the insurance we are paying for. OptumRx operates like a monopoly. They have completed control over your life if you depend on them. Because of the US laws we can't just use local pharmacies. They know this. And our home pharmacy is not allowed to mail out medicine. Basically you're playing Russian Roulette with your life if you want to travel while needing medicine. Make wonder if we just have it give up and go to a retirement home and wait? While we still have some life left to travel.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Worst pharmacy my insurance can go through. I'd rather pay more somewhere else to get my meds. This pharmacy has call centers in India who does not understand or know how to process orders. They make everything and I mean everything hard. I refuse to use them even if I have to pay $10 to $20 more at a local pharmacy. It's a matter of life and death for some people I just don't understand why our government is still even letting this company operate. Shut it down before lawsuits happen!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Would leave zero stars if I could. Terrible experience. Have this insurance through my workplace and it is impossible to get anyone on the phone, impossible to change doctors, impossible to do anything online and most importantly, impossible to get appointments. I am ready to cancel and risk having no insurance at all, which I'm sure will feel similar to this situation.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

It would appear that the company has intentionally done everything in their power to frustrate customer inquiries. All 800 phone numbers direct customers to the Philippines, where you get someone who can barely speak English. If you ask for a direct number to a U.S. advocate they won’t give it to you but offer instead to transfer you. They put you on hold, and after long period of time transfer you to a U.S. representative. All of the security information that you have entered into the system has to be re-entered a third time. No one will provide you with a last name or employee ID so when you get cut off, or the information they provide proves inaccurate, you have to start the whole process over again. If you request a call back from a supervisor, it never happens. I used to blame it on sheer incompetence but I am now convinced that it’s intentional.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

The worst part of being diabetic, is having to deal with OptumRx, and I don't have a choice since they handle my insurance mail order pharmacy, so I have to go through them. There isn't a single request, or task that they can do. Every month I have to jump through the same hurdles to get my prescriptions, and even when I managed to get it through a different pharmacy like CVS, they have to process the claims and of course they make things as complicated as possible. The worst part is; they don't care. I would be running out of diabetes supplies because of them not being able to process orders, and I have to keep calling every day to speak to a new agent who would tell me that they don't see an order/request although they see I called, and I keep going through that every day, with different agents and escalation teams until I get lucky to get an agent on the phone who knows what they're doing.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

I am a United Healthcare customer who recently began receiving calls from OptumRx, which turned out to be subsidiary of UHC. The business practices of Optum Rx verge on harassment. They do not identify they are with UHC. They claim they are working with my Dr. They called 7 times in 5 days from different unregistered phone numbers and would not stop. They ask for personal identity information without saying they are tied to UHC. As my number is both personal and for my business there was no way to ignore each call. Finally, I called my Dr. who informed me that OptumRx was part of UHC and there was nothing my Drs office could do. I called UHC and told them that if the calls did not cease and desist immediately, I would be changing providers. Whomever heads OptumRx should be ashamed of their spammy tactics. This is no way to run a business or build one. I would not do business with Optum if they were the last pharmacy on earth.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

I switched to OptumRX a few months ago because they said that it would be more convenient to have my prescriptions sent from them directly to me and I could also get a 3-month supply. It has not been convenient at all. Every item has been a fight to get filled. Auto refills cancelled for no reasons and I have had to call on each one multiple times just to get my diabetes meds. The last straw was my latest prescription was ordered 2 weeks ago and needed a prior authorization from my physician and was provided. 2 days later the order disappeared from my account. I called and they placed the order again. Once again it just disappeared after a couple of days. Called again to place the order a 3rd time.

I was told that it had been placed successfully and was even given an estimated delivery date. Received an email that it was on hold so I called again. Was told that insurance would not cover because they need a prior authorization. They were given the auth 2 weeks ago. Customer service person that I was talking to told me that I just don't know how things work. So I cancelled all of my prescriptions with them and will start using my local pharmacy again. This company is definitely not worth the aggravation of have to fight for every order.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information