OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions)
1.06/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions)

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

1273 OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My doctor wrote me a prescription to send into OptumRx because my local CVS pharmacy was having difficulty ordering it. So before sending it in I asked if they had the medication I was ordering. When I went to check my order status, I noticed that I'd been charged over $400 and looking closer realized that they had substituted the brand name of my prescription instead of the generic. When I called to question this I was told first that I needed pre-authorization which I had 3 of, and then said that my doctor had to fax it to them along with some other information which I told my doctor's office staff. Then when I called back I was told that they don't accept faxes from Dr.'s and all the faxes he had sent had been circularly filed.

So I called again and asked that the brand name be replaced with the generic, I was asked "Do you want this filled or not?" And I said that I wanted it filled as written. A week later I received my hard copy prescription with no medication. So I called again and was finally told that all my paperwork was in order but that they would not stock the generic! How am I supposed to get my medication if my health insurance's drug store refuses to carry the medication I need??!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have been waiting for 2+ week for a prescription to get filled and OptumRx says they are waiting for the doctor and the doctor say they gave the authorization, what do I do? Please contact me if there is a class action lawsuit! Minus 5 stars!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I am shocked and furious over what Optum RX has done to me, screwing up my bank account. I had called my Drs. office to let them know that I wanted a refill on 1 prescription and some others might need refill orders. I did not say I was out of any other prescriptions but I wanted to make sure the refill orders were there. What happened was insane as Optum RX went ahead and refilled 13 prescriptions I don't need or even have, and then took it upon themselves to charge my bank account for $347.35. Then they went ahead and somehow charged $50 on another bank account.

The 1st account debit caused my account to go under once a large rent check I had written was also debited. I have called Optum RX twice now and they told me they would research it, as they had to go ahead and abide by the Drs. orders of filling 13 prescriptions. After my 2nd call to Optum RX, I called my bank and told them what occurred so I could file fraud against my account. The $347.35 debit has been in pending status for a few days so the money has not been refunded to me. I had also told Optum RX to stop any orders since I had not requested 13 medications. I'm beyond furious as I want my money back and I can't trust them at this point to refill any orders.

Luckily I had private health insurance plus Medicare. I'm considering obtaining Part D for the prescription coverage to eliminate having to deal with Optum RX ever again. I'm willing to believe my prescription costs will go down as they have steadily increased under Optum RX. All I can say is DON'T EVER ALLOW OPTUM RX TO USE YOUR DEBIT OR CREDIT CARDS WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. Oh and I had told them before to bill me, assuming the charge would be under $100 at any one time. They never ever had my permission to go ahead and use my debit or charge cards.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Called OptumRx and inquired about a medication I was about to order. The price quoted to me was more than I was willing to pay. I told them I did not want to place the order. They sent me the medication anyway. I did not open the container. I then called OptumRx. They said they would send me a return kit. Waited a week, the return kit never arrived. Called OptumRx again. They then told me that their Appeals Board decided not to send me the return kit and that I will have to pay for the medication.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have no choice but to use OptumRX due to my company United Health Care insurance (also substandard) for the last 7 years. In the beginning both Optum and UHC were contributing to my stress and health issues. I am totally disappointed with both. OptumRX sends needles now in ziplock baggies instead of their original box nanoneedles. It makes me question why do they have different #'s on them as if they are rejected or damaged box leftovers. They are shipped from Las Vegas. Unfortunately I have no choice. For those who do, stay away from both.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I ordered ** from them and found out they needed a renewal from my doctor... Like all doctors this takes time to get despite the fact I made a request. I waited a week and still no prescription from my doctor was received from Optum. I called Optum and cancelled the order long before they would receive the renewal. A week or so later I get a delivery notice from my local post office. Before picking up the package from the post office I call Optum and the gal tells me to refuse the package and it will be sent back to them. I then checked my credit card bill and see I was charge $90.00 for this delivery. I immediately called Optum and demanded a credit. I am told a credit would be issued... I waited one week and no credit arrived.

I called again and am told by another gal no credit was issued and she would put in another credit request... I waited a few days and no credit showed up so I called again... I immediately called again and this time was told OptumRx does not issue credits till the drug is received back. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after waiting a few minutes supervisor came on the phone and was as fresh and nasty as she could be... I plan to wait a week to follow up on the return package and the credit... I truly think legal action is necessary if this isn't resolved... In the meantime I suggest people stay away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have placed 3 online orders and one telephone order for prescription refills in the past few months and each time I was charged a $12.50 expedited shipping charge that I did not authorize. I was told by them that it is a known glitch with their system. I can’t imagine how much money they have collected on this from unsuspecting customers especially elderly folks who haven’t caught this. I have even spoken to supervisors who keep telling me they will report this, but it is still happening!!! This is fraud in my book!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

In trying to obtain some Prior Authorizations for our patients I have been sent in circles. I was given a phone number to call for a peer review which led me to a rep, who told me both the reviewers AND supervisors were unavailable and "traveling". I recorded these conversations (as they have as well) in hopes of having someone in the corporate office listen to what is being said to people. One woman hung up on me. I would encourage consumers to avoid OptumRX and UnitedHealthcare at all costs. I am planning to submit these calls to our local news advocate.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have 2 issues with OptumRx currently and one past experience... All negative. First my daughter's doctor has sent an Rx over 4 times and each time they say they don't have it. Secondly, my son has been taking an Rx for over a year under my plan. It required prior authorization from the doctor which they received. In July, he went under his own plan with OptumRx under his new employer but also stayed on my plan as secondary coverage. OptumRX is aware of both policies as I had them put notes on both accounts.

We tried to get the Rx refilled under his plan and was told that he needed new authorization so he had the doctor send it in, which they did. Now OptumRx is denying the claim stating that he needs to try other drugs first or he can try to appeal. He attempted to call the numbers they gave him (one an urgent appeal number) and neither worked. Even if he did appeal, it would probably take 30-45 days at which time he's not taking his prescription. If the doctor says that he needs that drug, who is OptumRx to say that he should take something else?? Very frustrating.

The past issue I had was last year when my son and I both had the exact same drug filled for migraines. Same drug, same dosage, same amount. They charged my insurance over $500 for his prescription but only $19 for mine. When I questioned them, they said it doesn't really matter because I only pay the copay anyway. I even had my employer's advocacy group contact them and OptumRx couldn't even give them an answer other than to say they didn't know. Really??? It's disgusting that these companies can stay in business. My employer is changing medical and prescription coverage after the first of the year and I can only hope that I don't have to go through this with the new company.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I’ve been a customer with this pharmacy for 6 months. I have never encountered such a challenging and stressful experience as I have in doing business with OptumRx. I don’t know who this pharmacy is contracting and paying to design and develop their website, but they are getting scammed! Almost every feature I attempt to use online, doesn’t work. From trying to make a payment, using their online phone feature to connect with a phone call, managing my payment options, you name it, it fails.

For 9 days I have been trying to get one prescription filled that my plan doesn’t cover. After jumping through hoops with paperwork, forms, seeing the doctor for a formulary exception, I finally get the pre-Authorization! The Rx ships, but now there is something wrong with the tracking number! No status after 24 hours. I call customer service at OptumRx, and they won’t do anything to assist until next week, after the forecasted delivery date passes! In the meantime, no medicine for me. This pharmacy is a nightmare! Effective Nov 1st, I begin with another pharmacy. Hallelujah! But in the meantime, I am stuck. Save yourself some stress and headaches, don’t use this pharmacy!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Flat out deceit and fraud. When placing your order on the website you may select the free shipping option, but you will be charged $12.50 to $25.00 for shipping. Has happened on my last two orders and they have not responded to my attempts to have customer service contact me.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

They are consistently, asking the same information on a single phone call. Repeatedly asking for shipping info when it is the same. The same for credit card info. In this day and age I get suspicious when asked for that info over and over. Today I HAVE SPENT 4 HOURS! Just trying to get one Rx.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Every month, it's the same thing with OptumRx. Every. Single. Month. It's always something, order on hold because they can't find my credit card, the same card that I've been using for the past year. Once they said they need doctor authorization. My doctor fax them, yet OptumRx claims they didn't. I went to my doctor and sat with her while she faxed again, and when I checked on my order the next day, they said that they didn't get it. Orders take longer, nobody knows what's going on, they lie about my order status. If I call 5 times asking about my order status, I get 5 different answers, but still no order.

I pay for overnight shipping. When they finally get around to shipping my order, I get an email saying my order shipped. But in reality, they didn't complete my order until AFTER UPS picked up orders on Friday. So my order sits in their facility all weekend. This happens time after time after time. If you don't have to use them, do yourself a favor: DON'T! You will only be frustrated. And you still won't have your meds.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

There is an option at their website (when it works), to have them call you. So I do that. It calls back right away. Then when you indicate you need to talk to someone, it appears to put you on hold - then after a minute or two, it HANGS UP. WTH! You know I read all these negative reviews - how does this company survive? What is going on in this country that we have to put up with this? Why do we all not sue this sham of a company and their parent United Healthcare. I am beyond livid about this. Rise up people. Lets stop this!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Well it's six months again. What does that mean you ask? It means that my wife has to call OptumRx to get my scripts filled again even though I am supposed to be on automatic refill. If I wasn't a captured customer there would be no way in this world that I would be doing business with this terrible excuse for a customer service oriented company. I'm a captured customer because my medical insurance provider says it will not pay for my drugs. I just wish that the people making the laws about insurance and customer relations would read this but, they're probably sleeping with those same drug companies. I thought that monopolies were illegal in this country but apparently that isn't true for big pharma. Sorry OptumRx but your company shouldn't be allowed to do any business at all.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I also am having a very tough time getting my account straightened out. I've already transferred scripts to them and tried to check out but it was a total loss along with a phone that resulted in nothing but wanting to go back to CVS where they've done fine for years. I've used every mail order pharmacy there is and this a very bad sign that things will not work out. IMHO.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The website is terrible. For 7 months I could not log in. Made repeated calls and was told "doing an update," "some people take longer than others," "We're having a problem today", and other lame excuses. Now I can log in but first the prescriptions won't load; then I select the medication to order. When clicking on CHECKOUT, the system kicks me back to another screen where I am not able to do anything. I called to refill the prescription and went through all the verification prompts. After entering my prescription number, I am sent to an agent who asks all the same questions. Having been the Contact Center technology fiend for years, I know this info can be forwarded to the agent screen. FIX THE PROBLEMS! I would rate this as 0 stars if it was a choice.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Their website service has been down for over a week and per the customer service rep I just talked to, they have no estimate when it will be available. I had called their customer service last week and was told they were down and would be up within 48 hours. Today's call met with no emotion from the customer service rep, no offer of a solution, no offer to help, no explanation, just a very bland "we have no estimated time when it will be back up". The real bad news for me is my only option is to change insurance providers as the mail order prescription service is tied to your insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Sadly have to waste a single star on this sorry excuse for a provider in order to submit a comment. OptumRx isn't worth that. Honestly it doesn't speak well for my primary insurance provider that they're affiliated with these incompetent, insulting morons. Optum is the Rx partner for my insurance company; they recently declined a off-site for a new script for a more newly developed, expensive med to deal with chronic bad cholesterol. Am highly allergic to statins; years of diet, exercise and use of alternative meds have not been successful in lowering that count.

The decline letter I received was a poor copy of a form letter copied so many times that critical lines of information were dropping off the page bottom. These were lines that concerned their decision process, grievance process and request for external independent review. Difficult to file an appeal without a full set of facts, right? Not for Optum.

Called "customer service" asking for a legible copy of their form; a complete waste of my time. First level operator and "supervisor" ran through the same scripted answers "can't email," (and can't/won't explain why). "Can mail another copy," with absolutely no guarantee that copy would be any better quality after a 7-10 day wait. "Contact your physician's office, a copy to them." Again could not/would not guarantee that copy would be any more legible than the piece of I got in the mail. I hung up.

To be fair, these customer self-service agents are probably tired of getting beat up by unhappy clients; their lousy attitude shows. Also had a bad experience with their mail-order side years ago. Dangerously incompetent. My advice now is be very careful with Optum; they already display a poor or missing focus on patients and I have little hope it will get any better.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This is the worst mail order pharmacy on the market - and I have had 5 different health insurance plans. Why don't we have a choice with healthcare providers to choose a competent online delivery service? I have had this service exclusively now for 10 months and have no prescriptions on file for some reason, and am out of medicine... AGAIN. It requires WAY too much effort to get things to work via phone, email or paper. Not worth the minor discount on meds. It is too hard on my blood pressure.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

OptumRx overcharged for two prescriptions which I recently discovered I can get at my local pharmacy for $3.00 and $6.00 respectively. Optum charged from $39.30 to $60.65 for 90 day supply of a thyroid drug and $268.38 for a 90 day supply of **. I was using their mail order and am on Medicare part D. Their WEBsite is impossible and I cannot find a link to customer service on it. I have written and asked for a refund. I am unsure how many years they have been overcharging me and just recently talked to my doctor about the costs of these medications. Scandalous and shocking!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

The customer service for this company is non-existent. Their website is unreliable and does not have accurate information. I placed an order for medication and got an order number. I saved the page. When I contacted customer service several days later, the order was not listed in the robo-answered customer service. I had to actually speak to someone, who was minimally helpful. My husband has an expensive medication and they throw up roadblock after roadblock getting it filled. I am forced to use them as mail order because of my insurance. I have a medication that I get from a local pharmacy that I wanted to get from mail order. I will not. The inconvenience of going to the pharmacy every month (and forgoing the discount from getting it mail order) pales in comparison of dealing with them. I only hope that those who make decisions about which mail order pharmacy have the same bad experiences I have. Only then might they change their minds.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Had them for about 10 months and about half the time I visit the Webpage is not working correctly. Sometimes it retains my information, other times not. Sometimes it doesn't show me any of my prescriptions past or present. Setting up home delivery is touch and go. I have logged in numerous times only to find my script was not on auto refill or home delivery even though the month prior I had set it up for that. I so hope my company does not use them next year.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

OptumRx is the worst pharmacy I have ever dealt with. Customer service from hell, Phone system from Hell, website from hell. Send 30 day supply not 90 days. Charge for 90 days (FRAUD). This is the worst company I have had to deal with in my 71 years...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This is by far, the ABSOLUTE WORST! So called prescription mail order service I've ever dealt with. They have some of the most incompetent, or hand-tied, people that I've seen in an area that requires very important and precise abilities. I try and place my order online and 90% of the time I can't log on! I have multiple prescriptions that I need filled and they are always putting me either to the point of going into my doctors office, or going to the ER and getting my medication. This is something that United Healthcare can and should fix!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I wanted to get a price on a drug called **. Called and after some time trying to identify me I was told that this was a specialty drug and that I would be transferred to the BriovaRX pharmacy because they handled specialty drugs. No one picked up so I dialed their number (supplied by the first person). The person that answered was given the name of the drug and then spent 10 minutes trying to find me in their system. I had given my membership number, etc. After that failed she said that they did not handle that drug and would transfer me to Office Delivery (not sure I got that name right). The transferee did not pick up and I did not have their number. I had read the copious negative reviews about trying to do business with these people. I had to find out for myself. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

In May 2017, I registered with OptumRx online pharmacy based on information recommendation for prescription savings from United Healthcare. Asked for credit card information after giving doctor and medications, I was told they couldn't process card and was not given a reason. Supervisor gave agent permission to submit order without card and I was told to pay online when meds arrived. Two months went by and no meds delivered. I called them and was told the doctors' office did not respond to request, I asked why I was not notified and was told they sent me an email. After being given email date, I checked and no email was received from them. I contacted the doctors' office and a script was sent to OptumRx. I then spoke to OptumRx after a month and was told the meds would be shipped and I should received them by September 7, 2017.

On September 6, I received call from doctor that OptumRx had issue in providing brand name meds, which she required and would resubmit for brand only. On September 19, I called OptumRx because I'd received no meds and was told by agent that after doctor resubmitted order, I needed to have called them to approve the delivery. I said, "This process is not working and need to go back to picking up my meds from local pharmacy, how do I un-enroll from your program?" The agent said rudely, "Stop calling us." I WAS DONE! - DISRESPECTED AND HAD NO MEDS SINCE MAY!!!

I filed a complaint with United Healthcare and went through the process of having a mediator put me on a conference call with OptumRx. The process had no resolution because the OptumRx agent had a script on procedure about client needing to approve meds for delivery. When I told her that United Healthcare said the meds I take did not require approval, she had no response and switched conversation to sending a complaint about a "technical" issue regarding me not receiving the emails. Both the mediator and myself told the agent that United Healthcare acknowledge many clients having problems with their customer relations and "lucky" for me, I didn't have to take medications for far worse medical problems. However, my meds were preventative care for past strokes, which were a part of my daily healthcare routine.

I would recommend anyone dealing with this company to document the date and outcome of their interactions from talking to agent, having problems in getting their medications and pricing issues to contact the Insurance Commission to file a complaint. There needs to be a serious review of this company's practices and how they treat people, especially senior citizens because this becomes a senior abuse issue. The solution I have chosen is to file a complaint with the Insurance Commission and contact my State Senator because the population growth of seniors is huge and this is a nationwide issue that need to be addressed at the State and Federal level. I went online to file a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) but I got a message that OptumRx was not registered in their system.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017
The absolute worst experience in medical ever. Been without needed meds for a month. Talked with at least 6 different reps. No internal coordination. One person promises delivery day and time frame then it doesn't come and the next call is "oh no that order or prescription is not approved." Colossal and total incompetence.

If this was life threatening I'd be dead. As it is my quality of life has declined as the fiddler's fiddle. Only the last person I talked to seemed to be able to put two and two together. It remains to be seen if they follow through on Monday. This online prescription concept is 100% fail.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have been receiving ** patches for several years now. In order to have Actavis brand, I have them filled at a local drug store. Last week I attempted to have them refilled, the prescription is not expired. However, OptumRX would not approve for them to be filled. All this week I have called the drug store, OptumRX and my doctor in order to have a prior authorization done. It was denied. I cannot take narcotics such as ** or anything of that nature. That is why I am prescribed the patches. I have had four back surgeries, after the third I caught MRSA and was in ICU at MUSC. It appears that if I do not get some relief from the pain, I will be going for a fifth surgery. The pain at times is unbearable and the patches do help.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I ordered ** 300mg for heartburn, and they wanted to charge me $251 for a 90 day supply (60 tabs). I went to GoodRX.com, and found that I could get the same 90 tablets for $10. And I have been paying them for my Medicare Part D, which costs me $69 per month. What a rip-off! I will be changing my Medicare Part D next year, I now use United Healthcare, but I will definitely find another insurer in December!

OptumRx expert review by Jonathan Trout

OptumRx is a healthcare management company that offers pharmacy benefit management solutions to organizations across the healthcare industry. Their pharmacy solutions include home delivery services, member engagement, pharmacy management and specialty pharmacy management.

• Member engagement: OptumRx focuses on educating its members through personalized tools and 24/7 support. Their mobile application lets members refill or renew home delivery prescriptions, locate a pharmacy and find generic drug prices and discounted prices. OptumRx also gives its members the option to receive text messages to remind them when to take their medications.

• OptumRx home delivery: The OptumRx home delivery service includes free standard delivery to United States addresses and territories. New prescriptions will arrive within 10 business days, while refills will arrive within seven business days. Members can create accounts with OptumRx, select their medications and place orders. OptumRx will contact primary care doctors and licensed medical professionals for approval as needed.

• Pharmacy benefit management: OptumRx pharmacy benefit management solutions focus on optimizing its members’ health through monitoring and engagement. It teaches members about safe medication use and cost-effective treatment options.

• Specialty pharmacy management: OptumRx helps specialty pharmacies by identifying trends in specialty care and creating clinical programs to help alleviate costs. Their website includes resources on specialty conditions, one-on-one video consultations with pharmacists and information on how to increase adherence to specialty drugs.

• Accreditation: OptumRx holds multiple accreditations with URAC, including one for specialty pharmacy services, pharmacy benefit management and drug therapy management. They are also accredited by VIPPS and the NABP.

• Best for: organizations needing pharmacy benefit management solutions.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout