OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions)

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

Compare Pharmacies

Research top Pharmacies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been insured through a Medicare Part D supplement for the past two years that I obtained through AARP. The company is OPTUM RX, a subsidiary of United Healthcare. I have never experienced a more incompetent set of individuals in my lifetime. Medications are delivered late, medications are sent when not ordered, the employees are unable to offer solutions, and once, they stopped processing a delivery because they thought that I was uninsured (even though the premium payments are paid monthly by social security). When I asked to speak to a quality assurance officer, I was told that there was none. It's hard for me to believe that a company as incompetent as it is, can still be in business.

Furthermore, they raised my monthly premiums by almost 25% from 2016 to 2017. I not only received no notification of a premium increase, but when I called to complain, I certainly was not given a reasonable explanation. The bottom line is this: UNH (United Healthcare) is a huge company that makes a lot of money. The CEO has a salary of over $5,000,000 yearly. They are interested in one thing and one thing only....making money and they don't give a damn about individual complaints. I believe in AARP, but they made a huge error in recommending UNH for Medicare Part D supplements.

Absolutely the worst customer service, I don't think they know how to do their jobs! It takes multiple phone calls to fill prescriptions from patient and dr.'s office, they aren't even sure how fax the request for the refill! This is prescriptions that patients need to live their lives and take care of their diseases. It is horrible. Someone high on the food chain needs to be fired!! I hope that someone there figures this out or that there is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen!

United Healthcare forces me to use them for expensive medicines and they have the ability to screw up everything from not sending the medicine to claiming it's not paid for to double billing. Best of all if they screw up and you need the medicine asap they tell you "no problem there is an extra charge, pay now" even though it's their fault.

I was recently pushed to Briova for a specialty drug I was prescribed. The first time I called to fill my prescription, I was transferred 3 times and landed with a representative who had no idea what she was doing and was quite literally reading off of a script. She then put me on hold for 30 minutes so that I could talk to a pharmacist who had "questions" for me. Only, the pharmacist had no questions for me and rudely expressed that she didn't understand why I was calling. Shockingly enough, I received my medication the next day. However, I had no such luck with the refill. I placed the refill order online, and received a voicemail the next day from Briova. I called back and was thrown on hold for 45 minutes before speaking to a real person. The lady was nice and told me all they needed was my consent to have my meds sent to my doctor's office, and that they should be delivered by the following Tuesday. Great!

However, it has been a week, and no meds have been delivered to the doctor. I called Briova back today and spoke to someone right away. Told him the issue. He put me on hold, and then hung up on me. Called back. Spoke to another representative who informed me that I should have never received the first package to begin with because it was never pre-authorized by my insurance. What?! This place is a mess! And it utterly baffles me that a place like this is allowed to do business. Thankfully, my drug isn't a life or death situation, but I can't imagine how infuriating it must be for people who are taking drugs for serious illnesses. If I could leave 0 stars, I would.

Teaching customer service and satisfaction across the country leaves me floored at the lack of that concept at this organization. Hours on the phone, price loopholes that allow them to charge you for 90 days even if you only get 30 days, customer support that is generally rude and does not have the flexibility to uniquely respond to a customer's needs and the outright refusal to acknowledge any changes in your account via mail or email "check the web" is the canned response and they have the audacity to ask me to waste my time on a satisfaction survey after an hour long no resolution phone call! My drug costs have gone up over 22% since enrolling in the "cost saving auto ship program". Avoid this organization like the plague!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Two times now we have received drugs we DIDN'T order. One was a drug my husband no longer takes. Too bad, so sad they say. We get to pay (or our plan pays). Nope you can't send them back unopened package and all. I called them and placed our drugs on a special hold. ONLY ship drugs we order. No idea if they will follow through on the promise. I'm thinking they won't.

This company is terrible about communicating with patients. They just let the prescription sit in their pharmacy and don't even call when there is an issue. I never did get my prescription even after speaking to the pharmacist and confirming that my prescription would be here overnight. Didn't happen, called them and they gave me another lame excuse. So I ended up going to my local pharmacy after speaking with my dr's office to resend it to the drive to pharmacy, which they did happily and I went to pick it up when they called. It was within 24 hrs. Don't deal with Optum if you don't have to. I know there are no copays with them, but it isn't worth it. My prescription was only $2.87 at the local drug store. I wouldn't even give them one star if I didn't have to.

One of the worst prescription drug companies I have dealt with. 8 phone calls today trying to find out which drug is accepted and covered under my plan... Not one rep was able to tell me. I had to look up names on my own and submit to CVS and only to be turned down for coverage. No one was able to tell me what drug I should tell my doctor to prescribe that would be covered under my plan. Extremely frustrated and eventually had to pay out of pocket... Horrible service.

OptumRx received a new RX from my doctor on December 20, 2016. They failed to fill the RX. My insurance changed on January 1, 2017. When I called OptumRx on 1-6-2017 to ask where my RX was, I was told that they have it. It is in the system. They see it. They said "there was a mistake." I pointed out that the mistake was their mistake, and since they made the mistake I asked them to send my RX at no charge. They said there is nothing they can do. This is a terrible customer service policy. The company will not take responsibility for its mistakes.

Absolutely the worst pharmacy I have ever dealt with. There are too many reasons to list but do whatever you can do to avoid spending any time or money with them. I've also been sent prescriptions twice that I didn't even request and I was required to pay for them regardless of the mistake being theirs, not mine! I also take care of a family member who used this pharmacy, and experienced continual problems with his meds. If you are considering using this pharmacy, I encourage you to reconsider.

I am not one to write reviews but I have had it with OptumRx. This absolute disaster of a company is not worth the few bucks saved by using it and the "convenience"... don't get me started. Refills: I have 3 scripts refilled every 3 months, that's it. Not a very difficult account to handle in my opinion. Yet every time it comes to refill I receive at least 2 letters (that arrive the same day) in the mail and one e-mail per script (that totals 9 messages from them) saying there is an issue with the refill(s) and to call. So I call only to be told they don't know what went wrong, but they fixed it. This happens EVERY time.

Payment: When and which of my accounts the money comes out of is always a surprise. Sometimes it will come from my default card as it should. Other times it comes from a different card that is only still on there because the website logs me out every single time I try to delete it. And then there is the always surprising mailed statement saying I owe them for one of the three auto refilled scripts I received a month ago. Why it was not just put on the card with the others that were auto refilled at the exact same time is beyond me.

Website: The OptumRx site makes me want to throw my computer across the room. It can be so slow and constantly logs you out. I just logged in and clicked on "manage accounts" and it logged me out. I had been logged in maybe 15 seconds. Stay away from this awful company unless you want to end up constantly irritated.

My doctor prescribed me a monthly injectable shot, and I have to use this company with my insurance from work (United HealthCare). The prescription was issued in August. After both my doctor's office and I had to continuously jump through hoops for nearly THREE MONTHS, I finally got my first injection in December. My first shot was in December when it was supposed to have been my fourth shot that I should've started in September, October at the latest. One of the reasons for having to jump through hoops had to do with me having to "give them permission" to ship the medication to my doctor, them continuously not documenting that I gave them permission, having the exact same situation with my doctor's office, and then continuously having to "resubmit" everything after giving permission. I have dealt with insurance companies and pharmacies before, and I have NEVER had this problem.

I called BriovaRX on 12/15/2016 to make sure that my next medication would be sent to my doctor with no problems. I spoke with a male, and he stated that the hassle was a one-time problem, and that from then on, I did not have to call and give permission, and that my injection would be automatically shipped to my doctor within a certain time frame so that it will arrive in time for my next appointment. I made the mistake of believing him, so I did not get his name (I will say that the supervisor I spoke with today had a record of that phone call on that date. More on that later).

I called a second time last Tuesday 12/27/2016 just to verify again that the injection would be shipped with no problems. I spoke with another male, and he also confirmed what the first one told me on 12/15. When I went to make my appointment today for my injection, the office said that they never got it. When they called, the office said they had no record of me ever calling and that they would have to resubmit everything under my 2017 benefits.

When I called BriovaRX today (01/04/2017) to question them about it, I was transferred three different times. I was transferred to some sort of "Specialty Pharmacy" department, where I was then told that my prescription was handled by a specialty "department within the department." This made no sense, and I immediately questioned the legitimacy of this company. I was transferred to a third female, where she put me on hold for 15 minutes until I gave up and hung up the phone to try again. When I did call again, I was transferred at least twice before I spoke with a female whose name sounded like "Sammy." All she could say was that there was nothing she could do and they would be resubmitting it under my 2017 benefits. I kept questioning her, and she would repeatedly recite that there was unfortunately nothing she could do verbatim as if she were reading from a script.

I told her I was not going to pay for a prescription that was 100% covered in 2016, and that should've been mailed the last week of December 2016. She then transferred me to a supervisor named Lynyse **, and she was extremely rude to me. She flat out said - quote - that it wasn't their fault and there was nothing they could do. She acknowledged that she did see a record the phone call that I made on 12/15/2016, but there were no notes in the call from the agent, and she said that she wouldn't be able to pull up a recording of that call. I questioned in my mind how she would immediately know that the call wasn't recorded, as well as why, if she saw a record that I made a call and no notes from the agent, that agent's name wasn't documented on the call. I work in law enforcement, and I have worked in call centers. Call centers (ESPECIALLY call centers that deal with medical and personal information) record their calls.

I also know that any computerized transaction that is done (whether it is a sale, call center phone call, etc.) will show who handled that transaction, whether it is their name or employee number. She also somehow could not find the call on 12/27, even though I have it in my call record in my phone that I called on that date. She also informed me that since I couldn't provide the male's name that I spoke with on 12/15, that it's not their problem. Again, that should already appear on the call record. She said the only thing she would do was to give me a number for CoPay assistance so that they would try and offset some of the CoPay that I would now have to pay. I told her that I would not be forced to pay a CoPay for something that should've been sent out in December 2016, and that I shouldn't be forced to pay a CoPay for something that took three months for me to get in the first place, as those were three months worth of 2016 benefits.

I told her that the company is either incompetent, or they have been lying to me. She again said it wasn't her fault. I now run the risk of not being able to get my injection in time, facing the side effects of going off the medicine, and having to start all over again and going through the side effects of being on the medicine all over again. This doesn't take into consideration the havoc this could wreak on my body and my health. This company is incompetent, unethical, and downright dishonest. I am also submitting a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau, the Ohio Attorney General's Office (I live in Ohio), my insurance company, etc. If and when this company becomes involved in a class action lawsuit, I will be more than willing to participate.

I was forced to use OptumRx by my healthcare provider and have been using them for a couple of years now. I have tried to sign on to their website and order my prescriptions about 200 times now and their website always rejects my email which prevents me from registering. I have called them multiple times and they always tell me that it will be fixed when I make my next order... wrong! This makes no sense to me since everyone else I deal with on the internet has no problem with my email address. Luckily, every prescription I receive has a reorder form included which I am forced to use. I guess I will continue to use snail mail but after reading some of the other complaints about this company, I am losing confidence and wondering if I will get my drugs on time... Very frustrating.

Family member got changed from Caremark to OptumRx for 2017 home delivery meds and meds administrator. Told an online acct could be opened on Jan 1 2017. Also received a personal letter to her in late December that one of her meds would drop a tier and be cheaper. So far, results: Initially failed to get account open with all correct info. Finally able to get in once. Not much info in there so entered a contact person in appropriate field. Next day - unable to get into account. Repeatedly tried and Occasionally would get in but had to re-enter all the member ID and personal info to which the site replied the info was already there. Re-entered info and logged in again with prior info gone. Logging in is a MAJOR problem. I called and emailed for help and NEVER had anyone get back to me. The med that was supposed to drop a Tier per official letter is still at original Tier. NOBODY can explain why.

They assigned a case number and issue remains in limbo. Made numerous follow-up calls - all useless! Even the web account issue was of no help by their web people. Was told it is a common issue being worked on that many have and could take weeks if not months to fix. Decided I will use local CVS or Walgreens to fill both monthly and 90 day prescriptions! This outfit needs big time help! Caremark was better than excellent online and with service and one family member still has them. Fortunately all my Caremark prescriptions were transferred at MY request to local CVS in late December so that I am not a "hostage" to OPTUMRX for 90 day supplies (even though local pharmacy is a bit more money). A truly incompetent and terrible outfit and never reached anyone on phone that was competent or ever received replies by email to multiple requests! Incredibly bad service!

Yes, 2016 WAS a rotten year, but not as bad as... dealing with OptumRx as a newly minted old person with a United Healthcare MedicareRX card. Silly me, thinking I could have my pills delivered to my door, I tried to use their very frustrating website to register. FAIL. So I called "customer support" on the phone. Even SHE could not get it to the website. So, she gave me an account number and we tried again. FAIL. This group seems to have generated some really virulent enemies out there. They must make so much money from the weak and helpless, they just don't care. OK. BYE OptumRX. Don't shade my door ever again.

The state of Michigan chose to go with a new prescription insurance, OptumRX. This OptumRX is terrible. I have been trying for two weeks to register and get my RX authorized online. Any move I make I get the message: "We're sorry. The system cannot identify the member with given data." When I call Customer Service, I am transferred over and over again, hung up on, and the excuse they can't hear me. I call back and get put on hold for excessive amounts of time. The battery on my phone died. Called them back on another phone and started all over again. Geez Louise. I explained to rep that she was the eleventh (I document everything) person today I talked to. This time she assigned a ticket number and told me I should hear in a couple of days. We will see. I am VERY FRUSTRATED!!! Being a state employee, I can handle a lot of red tape, but this is ridiculous!

This firm needs to be closed down! I have ins through work and had no choice. I have a life necessary drug that I must take and everything they could do to cause an obstacle is almost a delight to these people. Do their operators even know that people can die without medication. It took them an entire month to do a prior authorization, this was after calling them every single day and my Dr's office calling them 3 times a week. The Dr's insurance coordinator was so upset that he was threatening to have the Dr call into their CEO about this. Heaven help you if you have to work with them. They should be investigated because they have probably had patients have to go into the hospital because they couldn't get their scripts filled! How many people could have died as a lack of good business practices and God given common sense. Thank goodness my company changed insurance firms and as of Jan 1st I don't have to deal with this poor excuse of a company!!!

I have read several of the previous complaints about Briova/Optum and absolutely agree! I have been taking my particular medication for over two years and have dealt with three other specialty pharmacies. There was never a problem until I was cursed by this so-called business. Seriously, what is so difficult about getting an invoice with each shipment? Every person I have talked to has told me, "We got it fixed, you'll get the invoice in three to five days and it will be included in all future shipments." Right! Don't hold your breath waiting! It isn't even possible to get in contact with a higher level of management (if there is one!) because you just sit listening to the horrible hold noise they call music. Come on Briova/Optum, come into the twenty-first century!

Everything about my experience with them has been horrible. Like other people have said, they sent my medication to the wrong address, it went out on Nov 29 and it is Dec 30th and I still do not have my medication and they won't resend it without my doctor's approval. Doesn't even make sense. They can see the tracking from USPS that I don't have the medication. If it requires doctor approval, I can call the doctor myself -- which I did and had the medication sent through the local pharmacy. I will NEVER EVER deal with these people again. United Healthcare should be more careful w/ who they choose to partner with.

I have tried to use OptumRx to save time and money says insurance company and OptumRx after 25 letters for my business. I am a disabled veteran with cancer and a missing limb from a brown recluse spider bite. I have been charged for expedited delivery of life threatening meds and never received. I have had pharmacist needing to speak to Dr and hold my meds without contacting me of a problem after calling 10 days in a row. You get a different answer or LIE each call. It now has cost me a hospital visit because the meds I have taken since 1993 causes seizures and I was out for 10 days. I think this place needs to be shut down, United Healthcare is my next contact since this was a promotion from them.

I could have gone to local pharmacy and received my meds same day if I weren't totally disabled in a wheelchair. My wife has to take off work to be here to sign for meds if they do come. My cousin is a Judge in Brunswick, Georgia and I will be consulting him about this after reading the reviews online. People can die from this company's lacks and nonconcerns for the patients. I ordered and was charged easy 22nd express delivery. It is now Dec 28th. I actually have a email with UPS tracking number and UPS says they have no package. UPS is concerned because it was due at latest to be delivered today. OptumRx says package was sent out yesterday. LIARS!!! UPS is always on time and can track to the truck your package. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. YOU COULD DIE WAITING ON YOUR MEDICATION. First month smooth, last month hell. This month they cut my meds. 35 tabs to fill and I still do not have it. THREE strikes and you are OUT!!!

I have been prescribed a medication that has to go through a "specialty pharmacy". This is the first joke. There is nothing special about them. My doctor/office staff has to jump through multiple hoops every time they screw up my order, not to mention I end up hospitalized every time they FAIL to get me my medication so instead of paying what should be a small copay I have thousands of dollars in medical debt for multiple hospitalizations.

The second joke is that communication between the departments of this "specialty pharmacy". One person tells you one thing and then the next time you call back (which you aren't supposed to have had to do) you get told something completely different. I do not understand how this can be so difficult. You are a pharmaceutical company, you should be able to make a system that gets the patient the medication they need without bending over backwards. I am a younger person who understands most of the ins and outs of the system, I can't imagine being elderly or disabled and trying to get this worked out. Thank you OptumRx for screwing up so many lives if this review board is any indication of how many of us there are out there.

I filled my prescription this morning and was surprised to find that the cost was twice the amount I was charged previously. My pharmacist looked at her records and saw that she ran the prescription the exact same way, and the previous fill was indeed half the amount I was charged today. I called OptumRX, and they were unable to help me. They informed me that I was given two grace fills at their mail order rate, and after that point, I needed to switch to either their mail order service or to CVS. I have seen no paperwork to indicate this was part of our plan. The customer service rep said she couldn’t provide any information about the plan, and I would need to speak to my company's benefits team.

Prior to filling at my usual pharmacy, I made sure that the pharmacy was in network and the estimated price from their online tool said the cost would be the lower amount because the prescription was a preferred brand. In response, the OptumRX customer service rep informed me that there are fluctuations in prescription prices. A 100% price difference is unacceptable. Furthermore, I am hesitant to opt into their mail order service due to the experiences of several of my colleagues, whose prescriptions did not arrive for months. OptumRX customer service explained that every prescription is different and I shouldn’t rely on the stories of my colleagues before making a decision.

My insurance changed me from a local pharmacy to Optum. When I contacted to set up an account the representative was very rude. She told me if I have insurance I already have an account with them, and that they already had all my information and prescription information. I was told it would be processed and I would receive my rxs in 8 days. I never received them. Then a letter came in the mail that they needed me to call because they did not have a phone number to contact me to set up delivery. I called back, again provided all my information. At that time I was told the prescription request was never sent to my provider on my initial phone call. Again I was told this would be sent and that I should receive my rxs shortly.

A week later I received an email to call. Again I had to verify my information. This time I was told that again the rxs were not sent to my provider, questioning if they had the wrong fax number for the pcp. I asked if they could call the provider to verify the fax number and was told they do not make outgoing phone calls. This was a month after my initial call, now almost out of my meds. I told the representative that I would do her job and contact my provider to get their fax number. I work in health care and find this company ridiculous!!! If one of my faxes does not go through I am responsible for finding out why and fixing it. Still waiting on my rxs...

This is the most incompetent group of people I've ever met. If anyone ever starts a class action suit against this company and now their new name BriovaRX I will gladly participate! If they haven't yet I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they kill someone. I've been trying to get medication now for two weeks which they don't seem to be capable to put in an envelope and mail out!

I renewed online. The medication went to the wrong address. I called and was told it would be corrected and the medication sent. I did not receive medication, but did receive 8 letters stating the medication could not be sent because I requested it too soon. I explained that I never received any medication. Nothing mattered. They stonewalled consistently and told me I would have to refill at a local pharmacy because I refilled online. This company should be out of business!

Seems to me like a long running scam based on my experience and opinion. These people send medication, sometimes the wrong medication and make it very difficult to get a refund. It took 3 weeks and multiple hours of follow-ups on the phone with these people to get my money back. They claim they can't email you or put anything in writing because they don't have email. LIARS! Only got my refund because I told them I would be leaving a negative review online, on top of filling complaints with the AG's office and BBB. STAY AWAY!!!

Signed up for OptumRx prescription services through United Healthcare. In 11/2016, signed up, place an order, my doctor sent the Rx and the Rx never showed up. Once I called, they said they never got my doctor's order. Once I called back, my doctor showed proof he did and resent the Rx to OptumRx anyway. OptumRx failed to tell me that they did not get the doctor order and I was unaware. I tried a second time in 12/2016 thinking it was a miscommunication and happened once again. Now I have been 1 week without medication waiting for it to arrive, to just find out that it is not coming.

I have many questions why/how Blue Cross/Blue Shield of AZ changed out a mail order service like Walgreens that worked flawlessly for years for this inefficient and mostly broken system. More than two months after the transition, the website refill form was not available. The first time I called, because the account I created was not even working, the woman on the phone, reading from the script, said I had to drop the last two numbers from my ID number for it to work. My next order online actually worked.

Last week, I returned to re-order 3 scripts. I went through every stage of the refill form, and each time I submitted, it returned a response to make sure my information was correct (no error indicated). I tried multiple times, with multiple web browsers, on 2 computers. Not once did my orders go through. I sent 2 messages through their web form, No response. I called the 1-800 number on their website, and was greeted with a survey, offers to sell my Time Warner Cable. It took a 40 minute wait to BCBS to find out the phone number on their website was wrong.

All in all it took well over an hour of my billable work time, a lot of cussing at inane phone menus, to submit a refill order, to do something that in the past took 5 minutes. I just got a response finally from OptumRX - their "secure" email made me create yet another account on cisco, to finally read a message of "Thanks for your response, we told our web team." I do web development for a living and can tell you this system is an archaic bad joke that I can tell here frustrates many people. BCBS is raising my premium rates 58% next year, with higher deductibles, less service, and grossly inefficient systems.

The state of Ohio went with Optum Rx to administer prescription meds for the employees of the state and their families. Through Optum Rx I have to use Briova Pharmacy for a prescription that has to be mail ordered from a specialty pharmacy. Every few months Optum refuses to fill my prescription and insists that I get prior authorization for the meds I have taken for several years now. The ONLY meds that help and don't make me sick when I take them. They NEVER send a reminder that I will need a new authorization soon, they just simply refuse to fill it.

Then I call and call and try to get my doctor's office to communicate with Optum, and vice versa. Usually I end up missing a week or more of medication because it is so difficult to get the two coordinated. And I end up getting excuses and rude customer service employees, when I get any response at all. I have to try to make these calls from work, where I have absolutely no place to make private phone calls unless I stand outside the office--ok in summer but not so ok in the winter. I am so sick of this hassle every single time.

This place should be shut down by the government. They should be sued. They really do not care about the patient. They compromise your health with unnecessary delays. Sending the wrong prescription. Sending other patient's prescriptions. It's all about the almighty dollar. These reps have no clue what is going on. They just held two of my heart medications for no reason. I was out of pills that protect my heart. They said I can go to the pharmacy to get a 30 day supply, but of course, when I get to the pharmacy OptumRx won't approve the order. It's been a week of calling every day, sometimes twice a day and still get nowhere.

I could go on and on about this place but would just repeat the other reviews. Somebody please file a class action lawsuit!!! I can't afford a lawyer!!

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Profile