formerly Prescription Solutions

1.1/5 (71 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Optum is exactly the opposite in my experience. Home delivery is awesome. I will not go to junk stores or buy drugs on Amazon. I pay most of the $0. So people come on here to bash this company but the folks who I have dealt with have been very very nice. You have a choice. But do your homework. You get free delivery and get your drugs through a reputable, verified by Medicare. Amazon is not responsible if your drug is a fake btw folks.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

United Healthcare owns OptumRx. The drug coverage steers customers to mail-order drug delivery or... pay approximately 30% more from a local pharmacy. BUT -- expect it to take two to three days for the prescription to show up in your medication list and then another 7 to 10 days for the delivery. This is not a one-time occurence. It's standard operating procedure. I've used other online pharmacies before. OptumRx is by far the worst.

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

OptumRX is part of UnitedHealthCare. It is not an independent company. I see someone else has had the same experience. A refill on a medication has come back as "Out of Stock". What? This is a pharmacy! The medication does not require special handling, shipping or storage. A complaint to UnitedHealth Care resulted in a call to OptumRx and notice that it could be weeks or months. Checked into "Preferred Pharmacies" in the area and, on the first call, one said "no problem" just have the doctor send a prescription to them. Did that and had the medication 2 days later (that includes calling the doctor's office, getting his OK the prescription, sending it over and our time to pick it up). FLASH! They charged less than OptumRx!! One more nail in their coffin.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I strongly dislike dealing with Optum Rx. When my doctor issues a new rx they do nothing. I call them and ask where it is and it's never processed until I call and bug them. Why wouldn't you process it as soon as the doctor orders it? I have my payment information on file so they can process payment when the rx is filled yet the next time I go in to order something they want me to pay $75 for the previous rx.

Today I had to call (not the first time) to get this rectified and they have no idea why the balance is out there, everything has been paid for so what's the deal? Just trying to rip me off for more money? They referred it to accounting who can't figure it out either. I had to have them put in the order for my refill because the problem was preventing me from doing it. I'm so fed up. Most of the customer service people have horrible english speaking skills. In the past I have to ask to speak to someone else because I know they don't understand me and I can't understand them. The website is not user friendly. I tried to change my phone numbers and it wouldn't work. Sometimes it doesn't show all of my prescriptions. I always dread having to call them. They are impossible! Unfortunately I'm stuck with them at this point. I wish UHC would use a different service for prescriptions.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

Prescription prices through Optum are higher than out of pocket no insurance price through Costco and Amazon. Customer service is completely inept and misleading. Avoid this company. This is not a benefit, but a detriment to your health!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Been with United Health Care for years, along with OptumRx. Been having nothing but troubles with these folks at OptumRx. My doctor issued 4 new scripts with instructions to ship all at the same time, but optumRx cannot for some reason handle that simple request. United Health Care has even stepped in, but Optum just cannot seem to get this correct. Always some lame excuse. OptumRx is without doubt the worst company Ive ever dealt with. Simply shameful. The folks who run this company need to be fired/replaced/gotten rid of. Sure wish my employer would switch back to Kaiser Permanente....At least they can correctly respond to simple requests. OptumRx needs to be ran out of buisness. Simply terrible...

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I recently moved from MD to CO and changed insurance, and OptumRx is UnitedHealthcare’s preferred pharmacy. Since beginning to fill my prescriptions with them in June, they’ve been a total disaster. Each time my physician sends in a prescription — a physician I’ve seen at least once a year for 12 years — it is held up for several days because some assembly line pharmacist wants to know why a physician in Maryland is sending in scripts for a patient who lives in Colorado. It’s as if they think that people only see physicians in the same town or state in which they live, and if they don’t, there must be something amiss. Don’t they realize that people travel from all over the country to see specialists in other parts of the country, and those physicians prescribe medications? It’s as if they think that when a person relocates to the other side of the country, they have already seen a new physician.

I’ve no intention switching to a “local” physician. I will fly to Maryland every year to see the physician I prefer, so I guess every month we’ll do this song and dance. Then, after they chat with the physician’s office and ascertain an answer to their ponderous question about why a Maryland physician is prescribing to someone who lives in Colorado (Even after there’s a note in my profile explaining the situation, I’m told the pharmacist saw the note but still wants to talk to the physician), they put another hold on the order because they want clarification on the dose — THE SAME CLARIFICATION they’ve gotten on two previous occasions. I think it depends on which pharmacist gets ahold of the order. Some fill the order as written while others put on their stethoscope and play unsolicited second opinion physician. Every month, it seems like I get the latter.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I have never experienced such ineptness as OptumRx! I don't personally have to go into detail - just read the plethora of 1 star reviews for yourself. I am to the point of blowing off any savings this company may bless me with and start filling my prescriptions at my local pharmacy from now on. This company can't get ANYTHING right. They even send links to their own website that are bad paths. They're so horrible I wouldn't be surprised if this company was based in a third-world country. Unfortunately, United Healthcare, which is pitiful enough on its own, is in lock-step with OptumRx. People on Medicare don't have a lot of options. I feel especially sorry for seniors who can't maneuver within the confining shortfalls of these companies.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Recently retired and thought I had to use Optum RX because of my Medicare plan. Quickly realized that the generic drug I have been taking for 10 years was $131 for 90 day supply at Optum and that I can get the same exact 90 day supply at local grocery store using Good RX discount program. It is disgusting that Optum is overcharging poor sick people like this. Please note that It doesn’t matter if your insurance tells you to use Optum…download the GoodRX app to check their prices at Kroger, Albertsons, etc..or take your RX to your local pharmacy and instead of processing through your insurance ask them to process through Good RX program and I guarantee you it will be cheaper 90% of the time. They are a despicable company!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I have submitted 2 claims to this company on medical insurance medication coverage. Ironically, (My wife is an RN here in Massachusetts) I recently retired and changed health care providers to my wife's medical plan coverage.. OptumRx.. :-( Unless I am missing something, in today's electronic age, why you need to submit claims the old fashioned way via snail mail.. Yes US Postal.. Trying to find the reimbursement form on this company's website is a joke.. couldn't find the form and had to call customer service which sent me a PDF attachment of the form. It's now been 2 months and I have yet to be reimbursed..

I am re-sending in the form with original receipts (that may be the reason why I have yet to see any reimbursement $$ for the out of pocket medication. I sent in copies of the receipt as I don't trust this process.. so.. this time I took pictures of the receipts and am sending in the original receipts via US Postal to their P.O. Box in Arizona... Unless there is a HIPAA rule for not automating this process, this company needs to get out of the 60's. Very frustrating and I expect it's purposely designed to be difficult for consumers to be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information