OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions)

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Sent in for prescription refill. After 6 days got email stating a delay. Called them & was told ins wouldn't cover. Not true, all they needed was my permission to use credit card on file. I informed advocate that I only had 2 tabs left & doctor was adamant I take them. She said, would send express & get it in 3 days. Didn't come. Called & they never sent out overnight. Would now take 7-10 days. Spoke to 3 reps 1 of which laughed at me when I expressed my disgust with their irresponsibility. My husband & I will never use them again.

Several months ago I had a problem with Optum regarding an opioid prescription. After that I began sending them certified mail so that there could be no denial that they received the script. This month, for the first time I send not only my opioid script, but two others. When I checked my account online it showed only the two non-opioid scripts. I called customer service and she assured me that all 3 scripts were in their possession and because the script hadn't been filled yet it wasn't showing on my account.

Today I got an email saying my order was on its way. The order had ONE script, the other two had disappeared. It turns out the Optum doesn't like my Dr. Even though I've been on the same medication for longer than I've had Optum because I winter in FL I have to have a local Dr. It's not the script they don't like, it's the DOCTOR.

Do you think that with all the information they require when you create an online account, email, phone numbers, addresses etc. that they could have advised me of this issue when they got the certified mail? Or when I called? Or when they emailed me that my "script" was ready. NOOO. I had to call to find out that they were mailing my scripts back, two days after my refill is due. If you are on pain meds, you know what that means. I despise these people, this network is a joke, there is NO customer service and I truly wish that all of these negative reviews would cause the states of KS, FL and CA to shut them down. Horrible people. Horrible company. Horrible service.

I have been treated like an ATM. Every medication that has any cost to it has been up for prior Auth more than once a year, although they say it's yearly. It's an attempt to get doctor and patient to stop using that drug. I'm disabled, and this is the second time in as many months that they've done me harm. I have been without my pain medication while waiting for a prior Auth to be approved. Same med I've been on for years, and this was done 6 months ago.

I signed up for automatic refills but they never mail the prescriptions on time and without further input from me. They email that prescriptions have been shipped and then email that there is a problem. But online there is not notice of a problem. Calling their support is frustrating. They ask for information (DOB, phone number) to be input before you speak to someone but then that person also asks for the same information. What is wrong with their phone system? Asking for a manager just gets you put back on hold for a different person but not a manager. I am returning to using my local pharmacy.

Not only do they not fill your prescription as prescribed by your doctor but they don't ship it on time. They don't notify you of any issues they run into. They also make it so painful to get your package (everything requires a signature and you can't do a signature authorization release). They are very intent on not giving out medications as a means to pad their margin. Optum is owned by United Health so they have a conflict of interest. It makes business sense for them not to fill scripts given they are the insurer and pharmacy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

** versions issue. There are 4-5 different packaging and/or potencies of this medication. In transferring from Walgreens ($24 for 90 days), I was expecting a fill for no charge, as was indicated on their come-be-with-us note to me. They instead chose the version of the drug that would cost me more than $200 for a 90-day fill. So I called. This is the problem: Absolutely no acknowledgement of the existence of the older, way cheaper version of **.

I demanded cancellation of the order, and that they cancel out the charge to my credit card. They agreed, and I will return to using Walgreens, where a pharmacist with a face, and subject knowledge will talk with me if/when there is an issue. So tomorrow, to Walgreens to reinstate the Rx, and file a contention for the charge with the credit card. AARP and United Healthcare are not well served by this partnership.

I've had this plan for a year and have had nothing but problems getting 2 of my rx's filled! I go thru a local pharmacy because I don't trust them! This last time it took 2 weeks in PA and then they denied it! Many phone calls, many hours spent for the dr office, pharmacy and myself wasted trying to get matters resolved! They don't pay attention to detail. You can never speak with anyone that has authority and quite frankly I think the people who do make the decisions are on some power trip! I spend a lot of $$$ for my insurance! I'm still old school I guess believing my health is between me and my dr and the insurance should just be responsible for getting my needs taken care of!

I see my dr every other month for my issues, and it has been long term. I have never had the problems with any other insurance company like I've had with this one! I read all of these reviews which are all so similar to my situation. It just makes my blood pressure skyrocket! Why does the patient or the dr all of the sudden have no control over this? I'm furious and feel helpless! If this is a sign of single payer healthcare and our government prying their way into our lives then I say no! It's time for some over state lines competition! OPTUMRX you stink and I will never recommend United Healthcare to anyone!!!

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT trust these guys to get your prescriptions filled when they're supposed to be. In the past several months I've had to get at least 6 prescriptions filled as interim prescriptions from local pharmacies because these jokers dropped the ball. Half the time when I actually do get stuff, it's what costs the most and what isn't needed. I've got bottles of stuff I no longer take - that they keep sending even though I've told them - called them - and asked them to stop... But try and get those which I do need is like whizzing into an oncoming hurricane. Somebody needs to audit these jacklegs and shut them down.

Their website is awful. It never provides a correct order status, never updates, and flat out loses patient info and refill requests. I called them today about a refill request online two weeks ago - no record of it. Should have known when I logged in today and found myself having to rebuild my profile - the same one I built over 6 months ago. Look, if you have these guys as part of your health plan, go talk with your HR person and find another option. If you have critical prescriptions, don't let these clowns be responsible for filling them. You CANNOT trust or rely on these people for your meds. It's the truth... Read the other reviews - see how many are saying the same thing over and over. These people will leave you swinging in the wind if you count on them. Don't do it.

We are forced to use this pharmacy through work. We tried their mail service. Never did we receive our scripts on time. We had to call and fight to get them. We started using Neighborhood Pharmacy. Now they want pre-authorization from their doctors before we can get them. My brother a type 1 diabetic has been trying to get tubing and needles since June from them. They keep saying they are not due. The doctor office has called. He's called and I've called. Since June 2016 to date nothing has been sent. This company needs to go out of business because they sure don't help the sick. Doctors send in your prescriptions. Guess what, they never receive them. It takes the doctors a minimum of 3 to 4 times if they are lucky. Please can someone help us? Please!

I was pushed to them by UnitedHealthcare. Once they get your credit card, they will mysteriously sign you up for autoship, and costs will go up without telling you. They signed me up for autopay and autoship, the prescription went up 65% and didn't know till I got my credit card statement. They had to get my return 'authorized' and even then I had to call 6 times. They don't take back medication, even though they will charge your credit card in a flash. I don't trust this company, and there are just too many 'mysterious' things going on. Reminds me of Comcast!

I never wanted to be switched to this type of Rx service... but who am I to decide right? I just PAY for the insurance so other people get to decide for me, to make themselves MORE MONEY. My Rx has been held up 10 days. I called to find out why, and was told my Dr forgot to put the frequency of dose. They had faxed my Dr 2x's with no response. (Maybe he is away? Maybe family emergency for him or his receptionist?) Anyway, why on earth didn't they tell me from the start? I could have gone to his office in person and inquired. We have had so much trouble with...

-Late Rx's (2 weeks!!)
-Something they were sending overnight--showed up 3 DAYS later!!
-They keep sending my husband meds that have been discontinued--7 bottles after his Dr informed them after the 1st time.
-I called to change the address for meds to be sent to my son at college... they still sent it to our house, so I had to send it to him.
-When you say yes to take the survey at the end of your call it hangs up, so you don't get to take it.

-Why are they policing themselves? They send surveys to us but it gets sent back to them. What good is that??

Does anyone know how to get this type of Rx service eradicated? Yeah, I know, too many big money companies to get passed, probably never happen. That's because our public servants and heads of these companies, aren't forced to use these suffocating services. Ugh... if only this country and its people, would put as much importance and money into healthcare as they do into making celebrities and athletes millionaires, maybe it wouldn't be such a struggle to get smooth, patient, friendly healthcare in the most advanced country in the world. Sorry, not sure how to add a receipt to be a verified buyer, especially since I haven't received my delivery yet...

I have been required to log in multiple times to get into the system. Then after filling out refill request and other questions had the site say "sorry, we are experiencing a problem". I have had refills held up because they wanted me to approve every single time my drug cost was over $300, even though every 90 days it was the exact same refills, same cost. Took multiple calls and complaints to get a note on record saying they could charge the card for the amount every single time without calling me. Why even have a website? People on phone have been nice. Just a waste of time to call over and over again.

My doctor wanted to increase my med, but since I was already having some side effect issues, he wanted to split it up into two doses. Strangely, OptumRx has a policy against this and requires the doctor to take time off from treating patients in order to man a fax machine and navigate a slow appeal system. My company needs to find a replacement for these ineffective fools. I'm working on that.

Tens of thousands of complaints about OptumRX amplify and restate my own as a United Health Care member: misinformation from the RX hotline, difficulty getting accurate coverage data, rejection of faxed authorizations for specialty drugs signed by in-network physicians, contracted pharmacies ready to fill the specialty order but informed the prescription is not covered, no method to reach OptumRX by email and never a supervisor within reach.

Upon paying out of pocket for my very expensive compounded drug (no other choice) I wonder about: There is no federal watchdog over managed care pharmaceutical companies and why is that? Irony of ironies, it was only Anthony Weiner years back who called this problem out in the House and charged that the "Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary for the insurance industry." He restated this three times and no one picked it up. Huge lobbying machine in Washington.

Until we have universal coverage there will be no be a federal watchdog. UHC members (us) had no choice but to sign away rights to class action suits, replaced by 'binding arbitration clauses' that protect the insurance industry. Fines paid out by the insurance companies are nominal - cost of doing business - like postage. 16,000 complaints on Consumer Affairs about OptumRX? A few million dollars, chump change to the CEO. Until the penalties are meaningful, the fines are pocket change for them. Option one for some affirmative action: write, call, email, text, twitter -- your senator, demand we work toward universal coverage. Option two for some affirmative action: we need a class action suit to eliminate the binding arbitration option. Who will be the plaintiff? Anyone here on this complaint board fed up enough to contact a lawyer?

What is a class action lawsuit (according to legal dictionary): A lawsuit brought on behalf of plaintiff and a group of persons the plaintiff represents. For a class action suit to exist, this group must: share common interest with the plaintiff, be too large to appear in court as a group, benefit in some way for a successful outcome of the plaintiff's suit.

Any lawyers out there as frustrated as the rest of us, paying out of pocket for drugs that should be covered by policy? Or boomers out there tired of $1,000 a month drug expenses? What will happen when - ten years from now - one in five adults will be 65 and older? Do you really think the insurance company worries over the complaints painstakingly posted here? Let's start making noise. Until that happens nothing will.

The absolute WORST pharmacy in the entire world. My insurance plan works with them and has done so for about three years. I have never received a new prescription or refill that does not have me make repeated calls to straighten out screwed up policies of theirs. The website will say 'processing', 'being shipped' or 'shipped'... meanwhile it has never been filled. Absolutely the worst managed and staffed company on the planet, without exception!!! If given the choice, avoid doing business with them at all cost.

My transition to OptumRX was smooth, however the first few pills **, I developed a constant heart pain. Day 2 of heart pain, I felt compelled to go to the emergency room. At the age of 73, I was right to be concerned. Luckily everything checked out Ok. A few days later my ankles began to swell, a condition I have never had before even during pregnancies. I called OptumRX. The pharmacist was not helpful or even polite. She ask, "Well how long have you been on **?" I let her know that I had been on ** for 30 years. I was getting nowhere.

To sum up my experience, I will never ever take meds from OptumRX again. I was warned by a friend of the poor quality of drugs they dispensed but never thought they would kill me. I switched to save money, but financially, the emergency room co-pay was $250.00 and I had to go on diuretics for a short time. How many senior citizens have died from taking unsafe OptumRX medications? I still have the offending medication in my possession and plan to have it analyzed for it content.

OptumRx is the worst pharmacy in the world. Meds are never delivered on time, they keep no notes in files, they never complete orders when dealing with them on the phone. They tell you your order is coming and it never arrives. Only to find out that they never completed the order.

OptumRx is just part of the big pharma ripoff. Sad! I ordered a prescription from OptumRx on October 15th. By October 26th, I hadn't heard anything, so went back on their website, checked the status, and then wrote a complaint when I saw that it just said it was "in process". They didn't respond to the complaint with anything but an automated response by email. Then they started the order process again today, October 27th! I called this time and got all of the automated runaround that we all experience. Finally, I talked to a person who put me on hold, then came back and said he really couldn't do anything! But, he said, they'd "try" to expedite my order.

I should mention that my prescription is one of those that will cost me $1,760! Yes, it's the end of the year and I'm no longer covered for this script by my United Healthcare supplement program. You would think that for a full retail sale, they could get it sent! My local Walgreens is even more expensive, but at least they have it on the shelf and I could go pick it up today! But, since I want to save some bucks, I have to put up with this insanity.

I changed primary care physicians the first part of October 2016, and have been fighting Optum Rx stating that. Today, 10/27/2016 I finally received an answer that easily could have been told to me at the beginning of the month. It appears that I still had a renewal from my previous physician. Couldn't this been addressed originally and not have the run-around??? I can only hope that when it comes refill time all will go smoothly. Irately.

I was sent a prescription I no longer use. When I called customer service, I was told I could not return this prescription and they suggested I might want to donate it to a local pharmacy. Right! I get charged $100 and now I give it away. I asked for a supervisor to contact me and I've been waiting for two days for a call. I would not recommend this firm to my worst enemies.

I went in to see the doctor in the middle of August. It is now Oct. 26th I have not received my medication, many times it was placed on hold. And many times they said they could not reach my doctor, if I needed any sort of serious medication I would be dead. The worst most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with. No matter how many times you "think" you fixed the issue there's always a hold, never to be delivered. I personally have no clue how this is a credible business, so please save yourselves the trouble and NEVER use this service. Especially if you require life-saving medication. Worst service I've ever experienced! I do not have a receipt for I have never received my medication and am canceling the order and going somewhere else. But as you can see I have an order number, I went through this process and it was hell.

What a huge disappointment! After several years of receiving mail from my insurance on how much money I would save with OPTUMRX, I finally decided to give it a try. 8 days later, they cannot contact my Dr. I was just informed that they DO NOT HAVE A PHONE to call his office. Back to trusty Walmart. Do not waste your time! It must be a scam.

Very long story short. My scripts were requested. They claimed they talked to Walmart to transfer scripts and they called my doctor for new scripts just in case. Both were lies since neither was ever contacted. Finally, my doctor and Walmart called OptumRx with the info. Every customer service rep I talked to had a different story. Many promises were made that were never kept. No explanations were provided for these errors. I still do not have my medications! Walmart helped by giving me a month's supply until OptumRx could "fix it." Yes, it is a blessing having free mail order scripts - BUT NOT a blessing if I can't get the medication! I would suggest you start trying to get your meds delivered months ahead, so you will get them on time. Also, to add to the frustration, my scripts never appeared online so I could follow up online.

I just started using OptumRx mail order, thinking it would be much easier than dealing with my local pharmacy. Was I ever wrong! They use a pharmaceutical company called Zydus. This company is located in India and has many complaints on their purity and their facility in which they make medications through the FDA. I was shocked to read the report on the supplier, Zydus, and the fact that OptumRx is using them at 0 benefit to their customers and possible cross contamination of medications. Not to mention the lack of confidence I have with OptumRx after my first try with them. I'm on a few medications that I cannot go 1 day without and they took it to the wire with me on the first time! Do yourself a favor and use your neighborhood pharmacy. I do not trust this mail order pharmacy. Good luck!

I had good service from Catamaran, until they became Optum. The answers I have had from the "Customer Service" reps have been laughable, but it's just not funny. Each time I called I got different answers to my "issue." Today a "Customer Service" rep disconnected me. Another one told me to call Catamaran and then gave me an Optum phone number. They had my card on file last week, but now they don't. They gave me medicare information without asking if I was actually on medicare. There were SO MANY different answers, so much switching around, so much repetition that my head is spinning. And my questions are still NOT answered.

Most recently I have waited since Aug 23, 2016 for my new prescription for high blood pressure. First time I called to inquire,"you will have in approximately 10 days." Second time, I called they said they never received prescription (but they had it the first time) but they would call the next morning and RUSH. Third time, your Dr. or her office never returned our many calls and never sent prescription. Told "supervisor" I would call since they were obviously NOT calling her and Dr. resent on Oct 11, (same day). Supervisor was to call if any problems... would be sent RUSH. I called again, fourth time, and same thing... "oh, your doctor never sent". When I losing my patience, the reason became they had called her several times but she never called. This has been the same bull I have heard from this company EVERY SINGLE TIME my husband and I have needed medicine since January 1.

The first time using them, they sat on the prescription for over a month because, we didn't call to tell them it was okay to send. Is that ridiculous or what? If our doctors ordered, doesn't that mean we are waiting for the meds. They had our credit card on file at the time and if there had been a problem, they had our phone numbers they could have called. How does the government allow these AWFUL mail order pharmacies to provide such HORRIBLE service to heart patients who need their meds or the doctors wouldn't have prescribed? Who do I contact to get report this company is the PITS and should not be in business letting patients go for weeks and months without the medicine they need and make NO attempt to contact the patient. Oh I failed to mention, the next to last time I called to checked on my meds, they suddenly came up with, "they left a message with me on Oct 5 to call them."

I have a voice mail on home phone and cell phone but no message or numbers from OptumRX. PLUS my husband and I NEVER left the house that day so I knew they lied... not the first time. One night after my husband had NOT received his heart medicine for over a month as promised, it got so bad when they were trying to get us an emergency amount from our local pharmacy, the supervisor forgot to "okay" their company to approve, so I couldn't pick up. I call shortly after 4 pm and was on the phone with them until 8:20 pm with all their "forgot to's" to one problem after another, that I reminded the supervisor the pharmacy closed at 9 am and it would take me at least 15 minutes to drive and she had 20 minutes to figure out what she needed to do to get it approved on her end to release the medicine so I could pickup.

Our pharmacy called me and said he would not close until I got there and he was trying as well on his end to get them to get in together. Finally, the supervisor called and said it was approved and I could pick up. IF our pharmacist had not waited, it would have been yet another day my husband would have had to wait for his meds. He had the "widow maker" heart attack exactly 2 years ago and since January this is at least 3 times he has had to go without meds for the same excuses I have had with my meds. This company should not be allow to be responsible for life saving meds they without because of lack of follow thru to just not making no effort to resolve problems. I wish I would have known how bad they were and I would have saved all my notes. It has been a complete total nightmare dealing with the lack of customer service. I regret I have to even be required to give this company 'one star" review.

OptumRx never mail your order on time. When you call, some of their staff sounded sleepy. They do not care about their patients, but just business. They never initiate communication. You have to call and call again to beg them to get your order.

A few years ago I signed up for their service. It took about 18 months to get my script delivered. I had to get it at a local Pharmacy but was continuously sent letters that I should use their pharmacy. I had called about 12 times - to UHC and to Optum. Even had both on the phone regarding it being months without getting the medication delivered even though each time being told it was shipped, or processed, and any other lie they could tell me. Even after having them both on the phone NO one called back or checked as months went by and still never received the meds.

This last August was charge 3 times for a script ($175). Twice on my Visa and again on my HSA Visa. After numerous calls and checking with Visa that they did get the money - Optum sent me a statement with only one release at $175 so had Visa credit me, only to have Optum charge it again. Now I went to order and they send an email that the money was process $350. But then the site locked up and no order was registered. So order again and again the site locked up. Called and they have no record of the order, but I do have the email that the money was charged. Called again and no one ever is able to answer a question. Called a few times about the $175 charges and even given an accounting number once and even they said they weren't able to access the accounts online. Never any resolution, never any call backs. Must be the Worst insurance ever had.

On October 14, 2016 I learned from my family doctor that ** had gone generic. This drug was ordered through OptumRx in July and should have been filled with the generic and was not. The $575 difference in cost put me into the coverage gap. When brought to their attention their response amounted to "too bad, too late to correct". They have effectively stolen from me and they do not care. Surely United Health Care can do better than this?!

I placed an order with fast delivery method since I was leaving country. When the order was not delivered, I called back and was assured it would be there following day. Wrong. I placed another call explaining I needed order because I was leaving country. They said not possible with no explanation as to why order was never sent. They did say they would mail it at no cost, but it would not be there on time. I went to my local pharmacist. When I did receive my medicine, it was not the correct prescription. 20mg vs. the 40mg I usually take. Doctor said she turned in correct dosage. Now, I can't get on web site. Talked to someone who was no help. Transferred to another who said Optum site was not for me. I went to old Catamaran site which came up as the Optum site since they took over. Can't get online at this site either. HORRIBLE service.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Profile