formerly Prescription Solutions

3.6/5 (1259 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: May 2, 2022

We've been trying for 2 months to get a medication - required to life - from OptumRX. We've asked repeatedly for them to either ship it (never happens) or send it to CVS so we can pick it up. They claim they have repeatedly sent it to CVS, but this has not happened. CVS even checked all surrounding stores in case of a mistake. They have never received the medication. I would like someone to contact me if they know of legal solutions we can take to expedite the process.

Original review: April 26, 2022

They do not cover most diabetic supplies. Only one brand name is covered for each type (basal insulin, bolus insulin, CGM, etc). They prefer Lantus for basal, humalog for bolus, and dexcom G6 for CGM. All are very expensive. Much cheaper biosimilar drugs (insulin lispro or semglee) are not covered unless you get a prior authorization, and even if you do it is covered as a tier 3. They do not cover better insulins (like Tresiba). When I tried to get a prior authorization for Tresiba, it was denied. They do not cover the cheaper CGM (freestyle libre) and when I tried to get a prior authorization, it was also denied.

When confronted about these things, they always say they are not actually cheaper or are not as effective, but this is absolutely not true. For reference, prior to applying insurance, semglee is ~65% cheaper than lantus (its the same insulin), insulin lispro is ~70% cheaper than humalog (its the same insulin), and freestyle libre is ~80% cheaper than dexcom G6 (not the same product but similar in terms of accuracy).

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2022

The website is painfully slow and you cannot update it with correct information but when I called the reps were also not able to update the info with the changes that I needed. Plus, I had to make 3 calls to find that out because they kept disconnecting me so I couldn't take the survey at the end when they were not able to help me. Bottom line - my issue was unresolved, I can't order online, and I'll have to call everytime for a full dose of frustration!!!

Original review: April 24, 2022

Liars, inept, incompetent, never get a certain medication. It's been 3 weeks now. Worst company ever. Nothing but a pain in the butt. I don't know how they are allowed to stay in business!!! They do not care about their paying customers at all. So dissatisfied. Wish we could end this charade. Ford switched to them. Use to have Express Scripts and they were wonderful. Horrible, horrible company.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Just ordered (3) ** inhalers prescribed by my doctor. Went online and ordered 3 at $281 total. Prescription and online showed 60 puffs per inhaler (total 180) - received today and each inhaler only showed 30. I called and actually spoke with a pharmacist who explained that is how this prescription works and it is only 30 not 60. End of story. Beware and double check quantities before ordering. Very deceiving!

Original review: April 13, 2022

They failed to send my doctor a prescription renewal after I gave them all the information. Because I had to get a 10 day emergency refill they will not process the order for 7 days. Then they will ship. It will then take two to three days after that before it's mailed out. Then wait for it to arrive in the mail. Nothing but a bunch of worthless morons. They refused to move up the refill date even by two days. I am filing a formal complaint with my insurance company.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I’ve been waiting since February 2022 for my prescription and every time the ordered gets cancelled. I sent emails, contact them and still I haven’t received an answer. I just want to receive my medication how they say was going to be… “hassle free”.

Original review: April 3, 2022

Out of the blue I received a letter from Optum Rx that my daughter's needed medication for her autoimmune disease is now denied. She has been on this medication for 3 years. No reason given. Ford switched to Optum Rx this year. I never had problems with the previous company. Why is Optum Rx ok with denying a child a life saving medication?

Original review: March 30, 2022

First of all, the Optum Rx website is pretty much useless. It's impossible to determine what prescriptions they have received from my PCP, what has been shipped, and what will be shipped and when. This holds true not only for their website, but their iOS app as well. The only information you can count on is their text messaging service letting you know when a medication has been shipped.

Second, when my doctor sends prescriptions to Optum Rx, and the prescription is not eligible to be filled right away, Optum Rx often loses the delivery in never-never land and I run out of medications. When I call to find out where my medications are, they apologize and tell me to go to my local pharmacy and tell them Optum Rx authorizes them to give me a weeks worth to hold me over. Seriously?? For a controlled substance?? Ya think so?? My local pharmacy got a good laugh out of that. Then I have to go back to my doctor to get another prescription for a one week emergency supply, then pay full price out-of-pocket because the insurance will not cover cover it since there is already an outstanding prescription to another pharmacy.

Third, good luck understanding the person you are trying to talk to. When you have an issue that needs to be documented and/or an explanation for, you have to call back two or three times, each time asking for a supervisor until you actually get irate enough to get a supervisor.

Regardless of anything that they may do to try to do to correct a situation, it still boils down to the hard fact they they repeatedly run customers out of their medications, and it takes one week minimum to receive what should have been sent weeks prior.

My current situation is for a controlled substance pain reliever in which they received the prescription renewal on the 7th of March. I ran out on the 28th of March. They said they would expedite the shipment and I would receive it on the 29th. Now I have a tracking number from USPS telling me it should be here on the 2nd of April. I have been on the phone with them for the past five hours, having called three times, trying to come up with a solution. The first time she did nothing, even when I insisted on speaking to a supervisor. The second time I called and was transferred to a supervisor over mail order, and I was told the doctor did not send the prescription until the 28th of March. The third time I called, I told her I am going to continue to call until I get to speak to someone who will document this problem and do something about it.

I finally spoke to Erin, who was very understanding, wrote down everything, and has contacted my doctor for a weeks supply, and is currently planning on following up with my doctor to insure the prescription is sent to the local drug store, then will contact the local drug store to set up billing direct to Optum Rx so that there is no charge to me. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of poor service from a mail order pharmacy. I will have missed nine doses IF it arrives on Saturday, which I do not put that much faith in USPS, and 12 doses if it doesn't arrive until Monday. Simply inexcusable!

Original review: March 30, 2022

As a consumer, I’m not sure I have ever worked with a more inept company. Unfortunately, my insurance plan changed to United Health Care in January 2022 and their pharmacy services are provided through Optum RX. I have been trying since January to order one of my prescriptions through them. I have spent countless hours on the phone, been disconnected multiple times and have gotten varying responses which have been incorrect and have complicated getting the prescription filled. I have had my doctor send over many and varied requests to them in order to get the proper Prior Authorization and prescription - all to no avail. I am retired and have time to sit on hold for hours, but I can’t imagine having to deal with them if I were working or had no time.

This company should be ashamed of having employees who have not been properly trained to give consumers accurate information. They should also be ashamed of having processes in place so that a consumer never has the opportunity to talk to the same person more than once - thus creating multiple and varied answers that are not helpful in solving problems. If I had any other choice, I would never use this company again. They are completely incompetent.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information