formerly Prescription Solutions

3.8/5 (1265 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My drug required prior authorization, but absolutely no one from OptumRx is able to assist myself, my doctor or my pharmacy. We are given different answers every time, and their customer service reps are telling a new story or reason every single time. If I could choose, I would select a different provider, but this useless company is required to clear all prior authorizations for United HealthCare. If you have an option, stay FAR AWAY from these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Was going along fine for 3 months, then, for some reason, they started claiming I owe them $1300. I disputed; they told me I didn’t owe and they were looking into it and they were investigating, but this would not affect my shipments. However, every month they put me on hold for 15 to 20 minutes so a manager could override my account b/c I had an unpaid balance. This continued and they told me 2 more times that they were sorry, and they would ship me my medicine, b/c I did not owe the money. They even told a CS agent for the drug company that I didn’t owe them money, and my account balance was Zero.

Today, 11/19/2020, got a call that I still owe $1300. I told them that I didn’t owe them money, and told them the entire story. They actually asked me if I would pay the bill, b/c my copay assistance wouldn’t pay for the month of April, which is the month they are claiming that I owe for, but they have told me and a drug rep numerous times that I do not owe the money, and my balance is zero. If you don’t have to use this pharmacy, then don’t.

I switched pharmacies, and my new pharmacy bills my copay assistance $100 less. They don’t know how to do their jobs, but they are very willing to lie to you to keep your business, but don’t worry, while they apologize for the mistake they’ll just sweep it under the rug till next month: that’s what they did to me, and then still claim you owe them money. Funny? January to October, but I only owe for the month of April? Every other month got paid. Sounds like a billing error, but instead of fixing the problem and getting paid, they told me and my rep that everything was fine and I didn’t owe. Now they’ve waited too late and can’t get paid, and that’s my problem How? Buyer Beware.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

A typical pharmacy order from Optum takes 8-15 phone calls to get it shipped and then it takes about a year to fix the incorrect billing on every order. My doctor's office cannot stand working with this pharmacy and I am always angry with their incompetence.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

OptumRx has filled most of my prescriptions promptly. The price is great, you can't beat $0.00. However, twice in less than 3 weeks I have run out of a critical cardiac drug, one that can do great harm if you suddenly stop using it, up to and including death. The first time, a representative told me that the prescription "had been canceled." No information beyond that. I certainly did not cancel, nor did my cardiologist.

After days without the drug, I managed to get an emergency refill for 14 days locally. Then it started again. I had to call OptumRx twice to make sure they received a new prescription, which they well over two weeks ago. Besides their being slow in filling the prescription, now mailing is delayed. My prescription has been between Florida and New Mexico for at least five days, with no prediction of when it will arrive. Back to calling the doctor's office, getting another emergency supply, and it is now five days without this drug. I cut a pill into minute pieces, but used the last yesterday. I'll give OptumRx one more chance, but after that I will pay a premium to use a local pharmacy where I am known to them, and they to me. Sometimes free isn't worth it. I should add that there is never a notification when there is a problem with filling a prescription, and no communication when a refill is delayed.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

For months I keep getting numerous customer service phone calls and automated calls from people who have incorrect information medical information that I have tried to correct numerous times. This company outsources their customer service to Philippines and these people don’t know how to make corrections in their system.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Website portal = Sucks. Customer Service = Sucks. Be aware they also keep your medical records FOREVER! You would have to go to the supreme court, get a jury trial, and legal services before they got rid of your records. Not even Edward Snowden can help you! Scary world.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Facts brought out about the OptumRx Drug Program and reported to OptumRX.

1. OptumRX uses fax machines to confer questions before filling prescriptions.
Issue: There is no communication other than the fax to ensure the fax was received.
- If there is no reply from the fax then the prescription goes unfilled.
- There is no timer on when a call back is required due to a non-response.

- OptumRX uses an Internet phone system to send faxes so there is no caller ID and many offices block the calls so the fax is never received.

2. OptumRx does not communicate at all with the subscriber if there is an issue with the insurance it is the subscriber that is required to find out.

3. Orders are not being processed and are causing in some cases the customers to seek return medical visits or to check into emergency rooms in order to receive medication delayed or rejected. This drives up Insurance costs and can overwhelm health care operations.

4. Opioids only allow a one week supply unless there is a Prior Authorization (PA). That is what the Pharmacy understood and that is what the Doctor's office understood. As a post-surgical drug for pain was needed everyone learned the uncommunicated rejection, only two prescriptions are allowed in a 54 day period without a different Prior Authorization (PA). The PA was put in but not processed and this is several days later. Total Hip replacement surgery was required from March of 2020 and the Operation performed at the end of October 2020 the insurance claims that 14 days of pain medicine for surgery should last the 54 days leaving 40 day for the claimant to seek Urgent Care at a local hospital for pain resolve and the question is will insurance pay for the hospital stay?

5. The computer system used by OptumRx has major issues. A doctor ordering blood pressure medications such as ** where a 180MG and a 240MG dosage is required once a day the computer will rejected it because the drug has the same name. The requirement is for 420MG once a day. The workaround was to order the supplies at different times.

The only way I have found to work with this insurance is to talk to them directly and create a complaint. The complaint department is very nice and did work with me to straighten out a few issues. I still have a pending issue not resolved but I did call again. I am currently searching for how to make a complaint for this with the State of Michigan hopefully things will get better if fines or compliance issues are found and resolved.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I am the caretaker of my 95 year old mother. It is difficult to impossible to log on to their internet site and each time I have to change my password to do so. The website is inefficient to clear up problems so I have to follow with a phone call that is beyond frustrating. The automated voice cannot understand my input and finally transfers me to agent which is what I want anyway. After being on hold a long time I get a rep who verifies they've shipped the wrong product and twice they've told me to call when I receive pkg to return it when they know they can't accept returns. I end up spending three times as much on their product. They continually call to refill the expensive drugs that I have found at a different source for a lot cheaper. I hate doing business with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I received my order ** without **. Today I got an email from OptumRx about a problem with the order **. The representative said there is no more ** and suggested to go to the local pharmacy. After that I have a problem with transferring a prescription from OptumRx to CVS. Is OptumRx a nationwide company with millions of customers or it is a local pharmacy with numbered customers? Who is in charge of supply? I cannot imagine situation like this at the Ford or Toyota assembly line. No more wheels! Thousands of people are waiting for wheels! What gonna be with such company and where the supply managers gonna be?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I have no choice but to use OptumRx. My employer won't let us opt out. First of all im on anxiety and depression medication that I cannot go with out. If I do I will have to start the process all over again to get it to work again (6 weeks) during that time I feel like I don't want to live anymore. Optumrx doesn't care, every month is a battle trying to get them to send me my medication. Here I am again.. dwindling on my meds, even though my dr gave me a 90 day prescription on 2 medications - OptumRx sent 30 day supply on one of them and 0 of the most important one. I've been waiting a month to receive them. I will have to call again, probably several times before they will give me an over ride to pick up at walgreens because they didn't send my meds. If you can choose to opt out I would. Unless you like being on the phone begging people for prescriptions. Dangerous if you depend on medications for your life.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

As a senior on various medications, I was reluctant to give home delivery a try, but I did, and I am very very sorry I have. What a fiasco mess of inaccuracy and horrible intelligent customer service people who say they are taking care of the problem but it never resolves after three hours on the phone with different representatives. There is no management email to contact for a real resolution or ability to chat online. I do not trust their customer service to continue to maintain my medications where they failed to properly mail a very important blood pressure medication at the end of September and I have since been out after dealing all month long with them trying to explain how their set up was an error they caused.

None the less, even so, the three separate hour long phone calls to customer service should have resolved the problem asap and rushed me delivery... but not so. It is now the end of October and they just emailed me that they have shipped an order to me.... which is two medications that are not even ready to be renewed till the end of November. All I can say is the competence and customer service is dangerously inferior at OptumRX and can't be trusted for anything you depend on.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I ran out of medication while waiting over 2 weeks for delivery. I ask for an overnight re-ship since I was out of med's but they refused and said it could take another 2 weeks. Suggest anyone using this "service" request a refill 30 days before running out of med's.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Cannot say anything good about OPTUM-RX. After 5 years, I am dumping United Health Care Medicare Part D. I got robocall yesterday saying that my medication had been recalled due to carcinogen contamination. After that robo-statement, the robocall immediately went to a busy signal and cut off. So I called customer service. Spent the next 25 min. on hold trying to confirm or deny the recall. Hung up. Sent message to OPTUM. The message reply next day did nothing other than promise to open a case file and to confirm that I agreed to deal with my issue via email. [WHAT???]

So, today had phone call with customer service rep (not a pharmacist) who immediately told me to stop taking the medication (which, by the way, was delivered to me AFTER the recall notice had already been issued by the Food and Drug Administration). I asked the customer service rep for details. He put me on hold and five minutes later got back on line and corrected his statement. Told me OK to take the medication, that the lot issued to me had not really been recalled.

I searched around on internet and found an OPTUM phone number to call to demand to speak with a pharmacist (NOTE: the OPTUM website does NOT notify you of your right to speak to a pharmacist; nor does it give you a phone number to connect to a pharmacist). I finally got a pharmacist, who confirmed that my medication had in fact been recalled and promising to send me a replacement. This is dangerous and puts my health at risk. Note: This is only one of about 10 complaints I have logged with OPTUM-RX over the past five years. This is one of the most expensive Part D plans on the market. My annual Part D charge is almost $1,000. The service is the worst.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

When everything goes well, the maintenance medicines come on time with no hassles. I love that all of my maintenance meds come free through Optum. But if anything gets crossed up, it takes several days, a couple of visits to the website, several phone calls to both Optum and my doctor's office to get it straightened out. I got notice a couple of weeks ago that I needed to contact Optum because they needed more information to process my next order. So I called, and it turned out that THEY needed to inform ME that they were out of stock and did I want to contact their procurement division to be put on the wait list. I was hoping for an estimate of how long it might be before they would have more, so I could decide what to do. The person I spoke with transferred me and I hung up after 20 minutes on hold.

I called my doctor's office and they had my prescription filled at my local pharmacy. My insurance charges a copay for using the local pharmacy. Oh, well, thank God it was a common, inexpensive medication. But a couple of days later, I get email from Optum, saying my doctor canceled the original order. I called the doctor's office again, and no, they hadn't. They had confirmation from Optum that the order was placed and were surprised. So now they have to call Optum and waste their time. Who knows if I'll ever get my 90 day supply?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I inject ** 1x per month and every time I order this stuff from OptumRx something happens on their end to screw it up. Today I am frantically trying to get my UPS driver to come back because the extremely rude and inappropriate agent put "signature required" after I refused signature verification and double checked before hanging up! He sounded like he was about 18 and went on and on with personal information and telling me what he thought of the president. All I wanted was to put in my order but he wouldn't shut up, like he was talking to someone he knew not a customer trying to put in an order.

I just knew something was going to be royally screwed up and here I am on a Saturday, UPS knocked quick and split before I could get downstairs and now I can't get my meds until Tuesday when the ice will be melted and it will be ruined thanks to this stupid kid. That stuff is $1782 a vial!!! I want to cry right now. I can't believe how horrible this company is but I can't get this medicine any other way.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I am very satisfied with my mail-in pharmacy, they are always so helpful and courteous in answering my questions and concerns. I am always treated as a valued customer. I never have to wait long.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

They have gone out of their way to research and save me money. Always easy to talk to and very understanding and courteous to talk to.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Very professional and down to earth. Explains things in laymen's terms for non-pharmacist like myself???? Well I used to be but that's decades ago??? I love this place. ❤

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I would avoid getting involved with OptumRx due their to the unsatisfactory service I received in 2020. If they messed up a prescription they would delete the order number and start with a new number. If you voice any concerns they would bully you and try to make your refill a nightmare and painful. One request was submitted on 8-21-2020, I did not receive the medication until 9-15-2020; optumrx intentionally delayed and failed to make any reasonable adjustments. When I used CVS for the same prescription refill, it took two days to complete. On 9-4-2020, Scott & White Health Plan & I requested optumrx eight times to transfer all my prescriptions to CVS whereas nothing was ever done.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

This company constantly pushes you to refill your prescriptions even when they're not due. I got so tired of them calling me that I switched to another pharmacy that has local locations, better prices.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

The worst. Period. Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia forces you to use Future Scripts for mail order pharmacy which forces you to use Optum RX which forces you to put up with total incompetence. I enjoy getting emails telling me my drug is out of stock, you must call immediately, and not being able to speak to a human being .... and when you do wait 60 minutes and get a human, they put you back on hold to avoid the problem with your drug. It's criminal. I don't know what to do, except go back to a traditional 30 day, pickup pharmacy which costs my insurance company more money, me more time.... all because of this awful company call OptumRx.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

\hey were difficult to deal with when I was first required to use them. Refills have been easy and delivered on time. Customer service is mediocre when needing an explanation of cost changes.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

This online pharmacy is good at sending out reminders, and getting the scripts correct, but they're not good with customer service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Every time my Dr sends in a prescription or I call to get refills at my pharmacy they are told they need a PA. Even though I've been on the medicine for years.

They are now denying my breathing meds because they don't feel that I need what is prescribed & that the Dr should try other medicine. Which by the way we've already tried. I have severe COPD & I need my medicine just like I need all of my maintenance medicines but they continue to deny me. Makes me wonder if they just don't care. What's going to happen is I'm going to end up in the er with withdrawals from pain meds that I've been on for over 15 years for degenerative disc disease from 6 back surgeries. Plus my body will start shutting down because they won't refill my thyroid medicine. If they are going to play God with people's lives they best be prepared to be sued by family members.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I have ordered from Optum RX a few times now through my insurance. I had an issue and reached out to their customer service. The agent was helpful, but provided me with incorrect information.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

Great customer service. The representatives are professional, knowledgeable and kind. Timeliness for processing and receiving medication is great.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

OptumRX is my pharmacy for my United Health Care a division of Optimum and they should be ashamed and disgraced regarding their support of their clients on Medicare!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Optum ensured that I had all prescribed medications in a timely manner. They communicated effectively with my PCP when necessary. I felt cared for. The care team at Optum was very professional.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Nine out of ten times I call, they give me some ridiculous reason why my medication can’t be filled. Today the reason was that I hadn’t opted out of Home Delivery. When I told her I don’t think that’s the case, she rambled on about Home Delivery. They always create more confusion than is necessary. I’ve called with the same issue multiple times, and each person will give me a different ridiculous reason. ONE time I was able to talk to someone who actually helped me and was logical. He was flabbergasted by his coworkers giving me the run around for something really simple. Optum should seriously pay us for the hours we spend untangling their mess.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I love the fact that I get a 3 month supply of my prescriptions and I do not have to contact my doctor every time I need a refill, they do all of that for me, then lo and behold, my script arrives.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information