formerly Prescription Solutions

3.8/5 (1279 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: July 8, 2021

Updated on 08/25/2021: This company is a subsidiary of United Health Care and is their mail order/online pharmacy. At UHC's urging, I have used it as their co-pays for 90 day supplies are lower than local commercial pharmacies. However, I have had issues EVERY time I place an online order. Last month I became severely ill as a result of delays in getting one of my meds. While the pharmacy blamed the doctor, I'm positive the doctor responded appropriately as they had the fax evidence.

Today I placed an order for insulin and received a confirmation (if you can call it that) that said the order was successfully received and was being processed. Further down on the same document it says there was a problem and I should see the details below. There were no details below so I called the number given on this notice and they could not even find the order. Spent almost an hour on the phone AFTER I submitted the order online. This has happened over and over again. I am in the process of filing a complaint with the Texas Board of Pharmacy as the people are going to get someone killed with their incompetence!

Original Review: I have used OptumRx as part of my AARP United Healthcare benefits. I have found the website to be extremely unreliable. I will order 6 med refills and the order is processed with only 3 being shipped. Upon return to the website, reorder the ones that are missing and they still are not being shipped. I called the customer service dept and am told I never ordered them.

At this point, it's been a week since the original order was placed and I still have NO meds. I am out of some and using OTC on others. In addition, I was told that I still owed a co-pay for ** needles purchased in April as well as one for the new order a week ago. I advised the representative that I had authorized payment of both over a week ago. Once again, she had no record of the payment being authorized but I'm very hesitant to authorize it again in fear they will take multiple payments from my bank account. So I am still not sure if I will receive my ** needles or not. I am hopeful the meds will arrive but I am not holding my breath. This company is totally irresponsible and cannot be depended upon.

Original review: June 24, 2021

We use UnitedHealthcare for our insurance, and OptumRx approached us aggressively about home pharmacy. I have a prescription that can either be obtained once a month or every three months. At my local Medicap, this prescription costs me $20 for three months for the name brand. OptumRx said they could match that price and deliver it to my door for the name brand. Instead, I just received generic medication and a bill for $90 for the three months.

I called them to say I'm not spending 4.5x both what I normally pay and what they promised. The first gentleman hung up on me, so I called back and demanded an expedited return mailer and to make sure that this would not affect my ability to refill the prescription locally. "We'll void it from your insurance as soon as we receive it back, the mailer should get to you in ten days." I had to explain twice that I needed the prescription refilled in a more timely manner than that to two people until they finally agreed to expedite the return mailer. I would not recommend.

Original review: June 7, 2021

This is an incredibly frustrating company to work with. My ortho uses them for ** so I've been stuck in this nightmare. They make you authorize after Dr sends prescription - literally a verbal yes. This last time there were multiple rounds of finger-pointing on where the hold up was but it took a month. I can’t get online account set up. I have the ID but it says it can’t confirm it's me. They hound you with automated calls and make you call them - goes to call center in India and some of their accents are very heavy. Even though I gave credit card during my authorization call and told them to charge me, they now are doing automated calls for me to pay my balance. First time around I had to request paper copy of my bill. This time after a week of daily auto calls now they sent an email that says to log in and pay. except I can’t log in!!! Dealing with this company is so frustrating I may stop treatment or find another Dr that doesn’t use them to fill the prescription.

Original review: June 6, 2021

I receive only three medications every month and I signed up with Optum Rx about six weeks ago. My insurance had changed to United Health Care, and Walgreen's prices became too expensive. Optum's prices seemed to be the lowest I'd been quoted and I liked the idea that I could conveniently receive them by mail.

I've had so many problems in the short amount of time I've been with them I'm going to close my account and go to CVS, even if it means paying a little more. First, Optum didn't send out the medications for two weeks after I registered with them and when I called to ask about it they informed me I had to "authorize" them to do so! There was no mention of this when I called to set up the account and we went over my prescriptions, which should have clearly been an authorization that I wanted them sent to me! Despite finally " authorizing" them, I continued to receive texts for two days telling me they hadn't been. Then they sent me only 90 tabs of a medication when it was supposed to be 270 because they had gotten a prescription wrong. I had to talk to a supervisor because the rep I was speaking with kept informing me that even when the rx was corrected, they would be unable to fill the remaining part of the rx for 90 days.

I'm still waiting on the rest of this medication. I was informed 9 days ago that they had been sent out, and now today I received an email telling me they would be shipped soon! I have to agree with another posting here that the phone reps say whatever they think you want to hear when you call, and then the next person you speak with there tells you the exact opposite. The last straw was when I spoke with a rep whose English I could barely understand and she was holding her crying baby throughout our conversation! I had to keep asking her to repeat what she was saying because I couldn't hear her over the wailing! United Health Care seriously needs to investigate this terrible place! I've never dealt with a business quite this unprofessional.

Original review: May 29, 2021

OptumRx called me about their home delivery service. Total scam fake pricing just to get me to enroll. Now they are denying speaking to me. Never give these guys any information is a total scam. They just want your credit card to charge you 3-5 time what they quote you.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I take an expensive medication for a stomach disorder. My Medicare plan is United Health Care through Walmart. OptumRx (somehow affiliated with this Medicare plan) offered 3 of my very reasonably priced medications free which I took advantage of and appreciated very much. I only have a bill for them when I fall into the doughnut hole at the end of the year. Last year the bill was about $25.00. Optum Rx then called me to offer deals on my other prescriptions and I'm sick about the fact that I agreed to let them fill them. They offered my most expensive drug for about $40.00 for a month's supply which was about $5.00 less than the price at Walmart. I let them fill the prescription and paid around $120.00 for a 3 month supply which was fair.

A month-and-a-half later, they sent an email saying they were refilling the prescription. I didn't think anything about it because the medication is always around $40.00 per month until I fall into the doughnut hole when it can go as high as $100.00 per month. I then received the medicine and looked at my bank account and Optum Rx had deducted $425.82 for a 3 month supply. I am now out $305.82. If I had stayed with Walmart, I would have continued to pay $40.00 per bottle instead of what Optum Rx charged which was $141.94 per bottle. I am retired and on a fixed income and I can't begin to explain what the loss of $305.82 means to my livelihood. I wish I'd never heard of Optum Rx and I'm stopping all prescription service with them. I hope this review helps other people avoid Optum Rx. It is a terrible company.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Takes several days before they even mail your prescription, then another couple of days of mailing... quit using them over a year ago. Just recently my dr accidentally submitted two prescriptions to them. OH MY GOD!! I went thru HELL trying to get them cancelled! I never did get it resolved because they are totally clueless and incompetent.. you never can get someone in charge.... you just get put on hold and left there. As another reviewer stated, you have to talk to a new person every time about your situation... then you get hung up on... PLEASE PLEASE don’t use this service!!! For your own peace of mind!

Original review: May 20, 2021

I started using OptumRx because our insurance encouraged it and it provides a slight savings. I will no longer be using them and just switching back to Costco. I have had 2 situations where I needed to speak with a customer service rep to sort out an issue. Both times, the representatives gave me different information and didn't seem to understand how to solve my problem (once it was because they sent me the WRONG medication and the second time was because they didn't send me a replacement after my medication was recalled).

On top of the customer service representatives being almost completely unhelpful, this most recent gentleman was rude to me. He was condescending and terse and it was very uncomfortable. This is just unacceptable when your company has made a mistake... you need to have folks on the frontlines who can bridge the gap and fix the situation with professionalism. This company is the worst customer service experience I have had in a very long time. And that's just a deal breaker when it comes to something as important as medication.

Original review: May 18, 2021

In the past month I have had two different doctors send renewal prescriptions to Optum. They seemingly lost both. Needless to say this has turned into an exercise I really did not need. Not my first problem, but my last. I will not renew and will encourage others to find other options.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Optum RX recently purchased the Diplomat pharmacy I've been using for quite some time to perform my weekly infusions. So I was forced to change pharmacies since they handle my prescription needs. I have yet to receive a prescription shipment on time. They are late every month. These are life saving infusions and I have not been able to get anyone at Optum RX to return my calls or emails. These guys are terrible! Every month it's just like a re-occurring nightmare trying to get them to ship my supplies so I can infuse on time.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information