formerly Prescription Solutions

1.1/5 (65 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Delivery of medicine is very slow, causing customer to be without prescription for a week. When contacted, was informed there was nothing they could do once it leaves their office. She did say she would give me the number to the USPS. Optum RX manages all Medicare prescriptions and unions are utilized by them. They state fast, free delivery - not true.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I can't even get a prescription I need BADLY because Medicaid contracts with this pharmacy who discriminates against Medicaid patients! I was given a complete runaround & I give up, I would rather die than deal with the rude & abusive employees who work for this "specialty" pharmacy! They describe their company as providing "great customer service with optimal outcomes for patients?" If they want to get patients to give up on living, then yes, they are accomplishing their goal!

One of the employees I spoke with told me that they couldn't fill my prescription, then told me they could but they would have to charge me directly, when he knew that I was on a limited income. A lady who works for my insurance, & I, spent MANY HOURS calling around & I still never got my prescription set up! One employee told me I could call my pharmacy & have them call one of their pharmacists to expedite the prescription. My regular pharmacy told me Optum would have to initiate the request to have it transferred.

I spoke to one absolutely unprofessional person after another with Optum, some who LAUGHED & made fun of me! When calling Optum their automated service asks if you're willing to take a survey at the end of the call. I replied YES. As instructed, at the end of the call, I stayed on the phone to complete a survey but not ONE time out of the EIGHTEEN times I had to call did the system put me through to a survey! Optum doesn't care, or want to know how bad the customer service (or lack thereof) is that they're providing...because THEY DO NOT CARE!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I switched maintenance medication. Per Optum Rx, I have to change from monthly medication to 90 day supply. The copay will go from $25 to over $100 every time I pick up medication. I do not think it is right for them to make me switch. If I do not switch, the medication will cost a lot more.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I HATE dealing with this company! They dispense a med to my physician's office where I receive the injection every 3-4 weeks. I am inundated by multiple phone calls, texts, and emails for a week prior to EACH dose, despite the med, dose, and frequency being approved for months at a time. The 800 number phone tree NEVER works correctly--asks for data (zip code) but does not recognize when zip code is entered or spoken. Today a text instructed me to enter a unique PIN, but the phone tree gave no opportunity to do so.

Eventually, get connected to the wrong department, and have to wait to be rerouted, and have to provide same authentication data multiple times. Staff ask multiple questions EVERY TIME. (Today was asked same questions re allergies, med changes, etc. TWICE). I'm required to stay on hold while they contact the physician's office EVERY TIME. Every 3-4 weeks, the same nightmare. I'm also a physician, and this policy of verbally inquiring for changes in medical history prior to dispensing each dose is totally unnecessary. Today I requested to speak w/ a supervisor, and was placed on permanent hold, gave up after 25 minutes.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

OptumRX mail order appears to be a rip-off. For MONTHS I received requests from Optum/UHC to "save money" by switching home delivery for a 90-day supply. When I finally went online to do so I learned the cost would actually INCREASE from $9 to $25 every 90 days. They wanted to get me to pay almost 3X more!! When I spoke to an account rep he said that is just the pricing "for this particular drug." He tried to avoid admitting that Optum and UHC are part of the same company. Truly a misleading rip-off attempt.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I have never had such a bad experience with an online pharmacy. I go weeks without meds, they never refill Rx’s or let You know they are expired. They don’t send out refill requests to Your doctor without you calling every month. No one knows what they are talking about. I would not use this pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Been customer for years. Never had a problem until a few months ago. They keep running out of my meds and I am supposed to be on auto refill. I have to call doctor and have a script sent over to pharmacy and it cost me more. Not happy at all.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I have a medication that has to be filled by their specialty pharmacy, thanks to my lovely health insurance. Every time it is filled I have to go through several calls and it still ends up being overnighted to reach my Dr. on time. It's very stressful dealing with this company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I read the other reviews on here before writing this to see if others were having a similar experience. I was not in the least bit surprised to find out I was not alone. I do not generally take the time to write reviews, but these people have caused me so much stress and pain over the last 3 weeks that I need to air my grievances here. I have never in my life dealt with a more non-sensical and incompetent group than the people at OptumRx. Being on the phone with them is as jarring and devoid of logic as the tunnel of terror scene in Willy Wonka. I switched to OptumRx because I transferred to my employer's provided insurance. This review is after my very first experience trying to receive the medication that I’ve been taking every day for the last 14 years.

OptumRx requires a prior authorization to fill my 90 day supply prescription. Over the last three weeks I have spent hours on the phone with various incompetent and difficult to understand customer “service” agents attempting to get more information on why my prior authorization request was taking weeks to process. I started to panic, as there are significant health consequences if I stop taking my medication. I requested that optumrx bill me out of pocket for the full price of the medication as I had run out of my existing supply and it became a matter of emergency. The customer service representative took down my credit card information and promised me that my medication would arrive on November 8th. I relied on that information and continued to take the little medication I had left.

My credit card was billed and the charge was pending on my statement. About 3 days later, I received a pharmacy call that my medication had been canceled because they had not received a prior authorization. OptumRx would not even let me pay out of pocket to get the medication I need. Finally, after hours of being on the phone with multiple departments, I was able to facilitate a conversation between my provider and optumrx. My provider informed me that optumrx had acknowledged receipt of the prior authorization. Today I got a call from a robot at OptumRx saying the prior authorization had been denied. I am now out of meds and out of options. I cannot believe that this is allowed to happen, it makes me sick.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I have used OptumRx and Optum Specialty Pharmacy for more than 10 years, only to experience a constant and serious decline in services. I used to be able to place an order and have it processed and in my hands in 2-3 days. In my most recent experience, I placed an order for the same prescriptions I've used for these 10 years on October 27. It was supposed to be delivered November 2, today is November 3. After calling today to find out where my prescription is, they tell me they changed it and I won't receive it until November 8 or 9. I wasn't able to increase the urgency on the delivery, because it is already in processing. Then, they had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to have my blood pressure medications moved to their service. That will never happen. This is the last order I will ever place with OptumRx. I recommend you use anyone else but them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

These is a dangerous company. Playing Russian roulette with my serious heart meds. They run me out of ** and blood pressure meds. 4 calls over and over. The same problem. You get nothing but foreigners on the customer service line. They get sued eventually I'm sure.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

I was seeking drug-free ALTERNATIVES to my depression. I simply don't like taking medications. I researched TMS therapy (a magnetic, muscle-memory approach), and set up a consultation. According to them, Optum requires that I try at LEAST 4 different anti-depressants before I can get approved for TMS. I've tried one. So trying MORE drugs is the answer to getting approved for a safe, drug-free alternative?? Seems backwards to me. Just hearing that made my depression spike! It sure seems they are driven by big Pharma, seeing they don't make it easy for drugless alternatives. I thought we were trying to get people AWAY from pills??? Optum is taking the wrong approach.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have spent so many hours trying to get one particular thing done. I have encountered several people on the phone, who do not listen and speak over me. I basically needed an envelope sent to my home, which I was ensured I was going to receive in 5 to 7 days. After that time I called again. Every single time I have called OptumRx, I have engaged with a person who has no idea on customer service. Each person seems to work with a script like a robot. Each person cannot answer a question because they are following a script and absolutely not listening to anything that I’m saying. I wish I had an option to get out of this company, but my union sponsors it. It is the most dreadful customer service I have ever ever encountered. Wait time is awful. The answering robot call is horrible. If I could review this with no stars, I would.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I can’t believe we are forced to use a mail order pharmacy for medication and a company takes weeks to effectively fill a medication. I called and complained with NO RESPONSE or care. When there is a monopoly with pharmacies they don’t care to return calls because they know they OWN the business so happy customers don’t matter. Our government needs to change!!!! We should have a choice and be able to go to our own pharmacy and get the medication needed. Not deal with incompetence causing delays to medication and causing exacerbation of symptoms. Makes NO SENSE!!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

This was a frustrating experience with delays and the supervisor lady who answered my first called hanging up on me. However, I called back the second time and was transferred to Shakitha another supervisor and she turned this whole experience around for us. I was ready to put 1 star and this lady Shakitha took her time to listen and was very sincere with her apology. She was professional and took ownership/accountability for the inconvenience. She is a true rock star and should be teaching courses on how to handle complaints. She is just amazing and OptumRX should give her credit for positive brand representation and service! Excellent service from Shakitha.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

For years I been using OptumRX & Briova RX which both merged into one OptumRX for all my 90 days supply. There is one meds. I am having issues ordering it. This is been going on since last year for this particular meds. Someone will place my order. When I call OptumRX it will show up received order and processing. After few days that order disappeared and I have to call them again and it happened again. Last order I did took me almost one month before I finally I got my order after dealing with them so many times calling. Here we go again, I am trying to order refill same meds and guess what same it's been happening again. I get a lot of stress when ordering this meds.. If there is an issue with their system ordering this figure it out and fix it. I need them to survive and stay healthy. This is sad. I been ordering from them after the merged thing went down.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I purchase this product for travel outside of US for my return, product expired in one week unable to use because my travel was for 3 weeks. Called Optum store. They refused a refund or replacement. Why would you sell a product that was about to EXPIRED???

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have been using a mail order pharmacy for 13 years. I have been using OptumRX for 2 of those 13 years and I have never had such issues. When I had Cigna, they would call, they would text, they would send emails. If there wasn't enough money on the card, they would send the prescription out anyway and recover the funds later. OptumRX is the complete opposite. The stress and anxiety of running out of medications, saying they are going to do this and turn around and do that, Incorrect billing issues that they state are corrected and are not. Please, if you need your medications to live as I do, do not use OptumRX. They have no interest in your well being.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

If I could have given Optum a zero for the review I would have. I have tried for 3 days to figure out what is going on with my fertility medications. Every time I call I get connected to someone that cannot help me. They send me over to the fertility department and no one ever answers the phone. I was finally able to speak to a pharmacist who said my prescription needed to be sent again, in which my clinic sent over 3 times. In my opinion, the pharmacist should have been in contact with my clinic to better assist me but that didn’t happen either.

Yesterday was day 3 and I waited on hold for 3 hours, yes, 3 hours! My clinic nurse finally got ahold of someone and she even told me I needed to file a complaint against Optum. They were supposed to give me an urgent call back yesterday to get delivery set up and that never happened. I had to go through another pharmacy and pay out of pocket for my medications. When I called this morning to file a complaint I was sent to a resolution specialist who was kind but literally sounded like she just rolled out of bed. She did say they changed over to a new system and this department was struggling but again, it just felt like no one cared and it still doesn’t seemed resolved.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

They do not get orders approved in a timely manner - then charges you extra for delivery because you are out of medications - doctor's office came. They never contacted them. Cannot switch until next year when Medicare insurance changes.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I have been in an OptumRx nightmare for years. I canceled them but, recently, I have been forced by my insurance company to use their failed mail delivery system again. I take heart meds and cannot be without my medications. This company has offshore "customer service" who are not properly trained and provide misinformation. This has caused me great distress and could cause me life threatening issues. I was assured that a man Named Raymond O (some sort of Rep) would call me. I called three times and left him VM. Crickets!! He never called me back. I tried to no avail to reach ANYONE in charge who could assist

Me... I keep getting sent back to "offshore". I truly believe this company is working out of their mother’s basement and I’m stuck with incompetent and uncaring, money hungry, unprofessional individuals in charge of my life saving medications. HORRIBLE!! Stay away if you can.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Denied medications for 2 of patients, despite these patients doing well on these medications for months. Wrote a required "letter of medical necessity" on letterhead, signed by me, and dated. They denied the appeal due to the letter "not being on letterhead, signed, or dated." They are making physicians jump through hoops just so they do not have to pay for medications. It is despicable!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

My sister lives in a assisted living facility that manages her medications. When her Rheumatoid Arthritis prescription was transferred from her specialty pharmacy to OptumRX Specialty Pharmacy, her experience receiving her medication has been difficult if not impossible. Her physician sends the script but Optum's process is they will not deliver the meds until someone calls to ask for delivery. I've contacted them twice over the course of four months and each time I'd been told I am not authorized to ask for delivery, that the facility needs to ask which they do. However, this month, they've told the facility they can't request delivery that I have to ask.

A rep did call to confirm (after the facility was persistent about getting this medication) I would authorize delivery, I advised I'm not managing my sister's medication and can't be part of the delivery authorization process and asked why were they able to send in previous months. I was told they've never sent anything for my sister. As I tried to understand the situation better, the rep apparently got frustrated and hung up with a 'ok, thank you.' It's the worst customer service experience I've ever had with a pharmacy company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

It is my personal belief that the purpose of this company is not that of providing healthcare prescription coverage but rather its goal is to cause stress to the patient/subscriber for mysterious reasons that until they are investigated can only be extrapolated. This company changes its policy with every phone call I have made to them.

This company is labeled as a mail delivery prescription/pharmacy. This is absurd for many reasons; I live off-grid, remote in deep wilderness. There is no mail service at my home where I live. I have to drive to my PO box 32 miles (one way). Winter is severe here.. having snow covered one lane gravel roads that seldom get plowed, a trip to the post office box can take up to 2 hours one way. Medications in the PO BOX can be exposed to extreme temperature in winter. Also it has short hours and closed on weekends. I informed OptumRX of this problem and their solution was to approve pick up at a local pharmacy. However OptumRX will only supply 21 days of a 30 day prescription. OptumRX says the pharmacy is "OUT OF NETWORK" and therefore I am penalized with having to go 1 week with no medication every month. This is unacceptable.

One time I called and I was told I could pick up my prescription at a CVS pharmacy and the OptumRX rep. told me to go pick it up right away because it was ready. It was a 70 mile drive to CVS and when I got there I was NOT able to pick up the prescription because OptumRX instructed the pharmacist to hold the pills for 4 more days because I was there too early. You can plan on spending approximately 24 hours a month on the phone with OptumRX because they have set up a hoop-jumping process for every patient. My health has deteriorated since my employer hired this company to provide insurance benefits as of 1-1-2021.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

On Aug.4th I called to have a delivery made of one RX Dr. had ordered. Initial order last month was two, he cut back so only needed one. I was on phone for 55 minutes with four young ladies and pharmacist saying I only needed ONE RX. After 55 minutes we hung up. Aug. 5th BOTH prescriptions came!! I called again, talked to two young ladies and another pharmacist, no one knew why, no one cared, and no one offered to rectify situation. If I were dying of thirst I would not go to these people for water. They just don't care! I talked to six ladies and two men from pharmacy, all I could get was, "we don't know why this happened". Strongly suggest anyone looking to do business with them, beware!!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I used to get IVIG from Diplomat until they were bought by Optum. Every delivery (three of them) I've had since the acquisition has been a failure and I've had to miss at least one treatment all three times. The first one happened when my advocate resigned and my patient file was never re-assigned to a new advocate. When I called, I discovered they don't have any process in place to ensure that doesn't happen. So ALL of this person's patients were forgotten - not just me.

The second time was when my insurance policy went from being a group plan to a COBRA Plan for the month of June. NOTHING about my insurance changed. It was a continuation of my group plan - I paid my premium out of pocket to my former employer. My deductible didn't restart, my calendar date didn't change, my ID didn't change. Even my group number remained the same. But Optum insisted that I now needed REauthorization. They finally managed to get that authorization on Jun 27th and ship the medicine - four days before I would be getting new group insurance through a new employer.

Coincidentally, my new group plan was also the same exact plan - but with a different group. But all of the same benefits and coverages. You'd think by this point Optum would have the process down. I gave them my new insurance information just before July 1st for the next shipment. Thankfully, my nurse was able to do my infusion with the medication I had. But on July 14th, I got a call from Optum asking for all of my new insurance information. AGAIN. It turns out, they hadn't done anything with the information I already sent them. And it took them two weeks to realize they needed to rush an authorization because my infusion was due in a few days. So on the 14th, I gave them all of my insurance information again and was reassured they'd make sure everything was taken care of for my next shipment. I was scheduled to receive infusion on August 4th.

On August 3rd, I called the pharmacy to make sure it had been shipped and found out 1. it had not been shipped, 2. none of my new insurance information had been forwarded to their authorization team and 3. no one even seemed to be aware that it was due! In the last three days I have been shuffled from one advocate to another, each promising to make a note in their system or to "escalate" my order or to notify a supervisor. An urgent message was sent to my advocate's supervisor so that he could put a priority status on my order the next day when he got in. I called at 3pm the next day and found that he hadn't even opened my file! Today is Friday. I spent a painful amount of time on the phone trying to RESEND a copy of my insurance card to them.

First, they couldn't seem to open a pdf attachment. Then they couldn't seem to open a screenshot. Finally it went through around 4pm and my advocate promised to call me back to let me know the status. She tried to call me once, around 5:30 and I missed her call. I called back and spoke to another advocate who confirmed my order was STILL NOT APPROVED. I am so done with this company. And I advise anyone who can to steer clear of them if you can. If you have to choose between this company and ANY other option, do yourself a favor and go with the other option - even if you have to travel to a doctor's office.

An active case file should NEVER just sit in some queue. There are ticketing systems designed to prevent these kind of snafus. A ticket is opened for an order and assigned to a person with a date due. The person has to mark it as resolved OR reassign it to another team by that date. And the next team has to do the same, until the order is resolved/closed. Tickets can be prioritized as urgent. Reminders and alerts are automatically sent to the people assigned to the ticket. Alerts can be set for tickets that are not assigned. A backup person can be assigned to a ticket. This is 2021 people - get with the program. GitLab issue tracking is FREE! You don't even have to pay for it. If you don't care enough about your customers to invest some effort in using the right tools, you shouldn't even be in business.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

From day one it has been a headache. They spelled my name wrong, won't allow me to correct it, made it a hassle to correct my address, won't allow me to make changes unless it's through my employer-provided health insurance. They wouldn't provide authorization for antibiotics I needed until two weeks after I needed them (after I had already been hospitalized on IV antibiotics and had surgery for an internal infection instead). Oh, and after I called and asked pricing on Botox (for migraine treatment) and was told $240, I ordered it, and then they charged me over $1,100. I understand insurance is involved, but I called and asked the price for a reason! So then I asked them to please NOT refill the Botox as I would NOT be able to pay for it again. And they refilled it and sent it to my doctor and are harassing me for payment, even after I said not to send it.

I don't have another thousand dollars and I told them that after I got ripped off the first time. I even contacted Botox directly and got an insurance code from them to cover the cost so that I can get this resolved, but Optum refused to take Botox's payment and is demanding that I pay them personally with money that I don't have. I have asked several people and get a different explanation every time (I am keeping a record of each conversation so I do have proof of this). If I had any legal recourse to get them to stop harassing me, I would take it (their billing department called me 3 times today) but the resolutions department has yet to contact me, even though I've been asking to speak to them for months. Nobody will give me contact information for the resolutions team and just keeps promising to pass my information along to them. I can't imagine a worse series of experiences with a pharmacy.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

My mother has this Optum Rx Plan through her employer. She recently experienced a cardioembolic stroke on Memorial Day and after being hospitalized for 3 weeks it is vital that she has her anticoagulant medication along with her hypertension medication. Optum Rx delayed the shipping of her 90 supply of medications but she received a message that it was delivered on August 6th but it was August 2nd when the message came through. She experienced confusion after the stroke. It is difficult for her to read and fully understand. Her medicine is now expected to be delivered in 3 days but she hasn’t had her medication. A local CVS filled the medication but we had to pay out of pocket since it was an emergency. This was not helpful and extremely inconvenient.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Horrible, horrible, horrible. The depts. must not be on the same system or communicate with each other. If you think a prescription is filled and on its way, it's not! You have to call at least 3 times in 2 weeks, and be transferred depts. 10 times. They will just hang up on you, switch you to other people without telling you, and they don't listen to a word you say nor do they jot any notes. BE prepared to never get your medications on time. It's only for your health and life and well-being.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Insurance changed and Alto is no longer our designated specialty pharmacy. Since OptumRx is both the insurance company and specialty pharmacy we anticipated a smooth transition. Not. The. Case. After a month’s worth of phone calls and transfers to “someone else who could help us” we finally had the prescription processed and scheduled for delivery. That, however, was not the end of the run-around. They are also not accessible. Managers/supervisors apparently only work Monday-Thursday. Do not bother to ask for one. Also, they can’t deliver on the weekends even though every other industry (including pharmaceuticals) can. Makes no sense. Not coordinated. Not organized. Not a service. More of another hoop to jump through. If we had another option, we’d consider it. To the organizations negotiating health care options, there are others and they are better.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information