formerly Prescription Solutions

3.8/5 (1282 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

What a complete hassle this company is to deal with. I spoke to three different people and got three different answers. One lady told me my Rx was covered 100% under preventative, the next person told me it wasn’t covered at all, the next person told me he was going to get it switched to a generic version. The generic version through their pharmacy was 2x as much money as any pharmacy I could have gone to in my area and they shipped it and charged me without even making sure it was ok! I will never use them again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Very confusing and hard to find the drug your tracking plus shipping is very slow. Emails that are sent does not specify which medication is coming. More clarification is needed so items are easier to track especially with an inept USPS that does not care if you get your mail or deliveries.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I had to get prior approval on a script in2020, my husband's company updated Ins for 2021, kept Optumrx but changed member ID & they denied me on same script, said I had to do another PA because was a different ID. They said they couldn't transfer from my old member ID to the new one but yet they had the old one right there in front of them. They had told me that I didn't need a PA in the beginning but then said I did. They also raised my med coverage unless I went through their mail service...$35 for a 30 day supply thru local pharmacy or $50 for a 90 day supply for one script thru them, another script they raised $10! GoodRx charges half of what optum is charging me.

When I threw a fit with an operator, she was able to get me an "emergency" supply for 5 days...$25!...FOR 5 DAY SUPPLY!!!! In 2 days, I talked to 7 different operators, 3 of which said I didn't need a PA, 1 said I didn't have coverage and refused to let me speak to a supervisor, 1 that I scared (which I feel bad but I was angry) and 2 that said I had to have it!! So their training of operators is worse than their service. I really want my husband's company to find a different provider for they are horrible and are trying to push their pharmacy home delivery which if WRONG!! We pay for the insurance so I should have a choice of where I want to go to get my scripts and who are they to say what they approve especially when a Dr prescribes it!!! Ok rant over.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I have been using Optum RX for 4 years. I have never had any problems with getting my prescription refilled, they send me a notification when they are sending it. (I am on the automatic delivery.) I HAVE had problems with the doctor not responding to Optum's request, which has delayed my prescription, other than that, my medications have been taking a lot longer to get here because of the problems with the post office. All of our community is having problems with delivery (as is the rest of the country). I was sent Christmas Cards that took 3 weeks to get here! It is not Optum's fault that the post office is having problems.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

In the last week my doctor's nurse has called and I have called 7 times. Each call has resulted in a different "promise" of what my plan covers. Each time the doctor sends a new prescription to the pharmacy only to have it denied. The latest call is now well over an hour with 5 different people telling me they were transferring me to a manager only to pass me to someone who is not a manager. Multiple times my doctor has had to write multiple prescriptions after being falsely told by a member rep what was covered. Walmart definitely needs to find a different company to manage their plan.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I called them to find out the cost of **. They said they couldn't tell me until they ran a test request so I told them to go ahead. After finding out the cost, I started shopping around and found the same drug at a difference of $2,000 per month with another pharmacy. Since I'm on Medicare, went with the lower priced pharmacy. Optum did not cancel my order and kept telling my insurance company and doctor that they were filling the order, which was a lie. They have now told me 3 times they have cancelled my order but have been contacting the doctor's office and insurance AGAIN and trying to place the order. Insurance company and doctor's office are fed up and don't want to keep sending in the approvals. They have created a mess and left me to clean it up. 3 1/2 weeks since last dose with no resolution in sight. Stay away from these people, they will misrepresent themselves and cause unnecessary paperwork and frustration.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

UPS changed to this company for mail in prescriptions. Worst experience I’ve ever had. My first order was for a 3 month supply of my asthma inhaler and they sent 1 inhaler. I called and then they said they would this once send me the other 2 even though the prescription called for 3 and then they hit my credit card again! The last time I requested a refill be sent they emailed me and said they couldn’t fill it so I should ask my PCP to prescribe something else! Horrible company! I only gave it one star because I had to rate them to write the review.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I started using them about a month ago due to the fact that with COVID I’d rather not have to go out to local pharmacies. What a mistake! As others have said on here their customer service is horrible. Their turnaround time is ridiculously slow. My bp medication appears to be lost by the USPS and Optum is doing nothing to help. I spoke with a supervisor and he was condescending and rude and couldn’t have cared less. He essentially told me that I just had to deal with their crappy service. There isn’t even a customer service phone number on their website. The one that’s listed is for technical support for the website. I had to get the correct phone number after being transferred. I’m writing to my State Medical Board and Attorney General. They need to be held accountable or be put out of business.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

No matter who you call they are EXTREMELY difficult to work with. It appears that they have outsourced their customer service and call centers to India. Many speak English but they are very difficult to understand. All the rest are just plain many fries short of a Happy Meal. You explain then you explain again and again and again. You ask for a supervisor and you just start over with the same level of success. I am convinced that they just want you (the caller) to give up and this is why they make it so difficult. I truly am disgusted with OptumRx. Sadly they are who my insurance company has selected.... OptumRx sucks!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I needed to get a new RX filled and the doctor spent hours on the phone and hours by the fax machine to try to get the prescription filled for me. The pharmacist yelled at the person in my doctor's office while she was trying to give him information about my prescription. I spent hours on the phone with their customer support trying to get it filled as well. There was always something they were missing... the rx was incorrect, there wasn’t enough information on file, the prescription will be filled tomorrow, "You’re all set - we will reach out once it ships."

The next day I get a call saying that they can’t fill the prescription because they don’t refill it at their pharmacy and I would have to go somewhere else. Complete waste of time, horrible pharmacists who say demeaning things to your doctor. I would expect more from a drug dealer on the street. Steer far far away. This company is sketchy at best. I have no doubt there’s some shady business happening behind the scenes.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

For years I've been using Optumrx, and their customer service are so incompetent it's a crime. This review is a consumer warning. Do Not ever put your scripts on auto delivery or if you get a text that a medication is due and there's no cost showing don't reply. My last order for diabetic supplies ended up processing thru the billing dept incorrectly to the tune of $435 - it should've been $0. I noticed the charge in my bank acct & called to cancel because their website said it was still processing, rep I spoke with said no prob, order cancelled. Something told me to Check the website again 15 min later, well that script was now showing in shipping. Called again, told yes indeed it was in shipping and since there was a tracking number nothing could be done. Then the fun started - went on to correct the billing, after 2 days was told to call my insurance co because the error was their fault.

Onto a conference call between me, UH & optumrx - somehow my script was put thru prescription discount card instead of the insurance. Oh boy - I've never even used a discount card. Optumrx claimed they couldn't correct the billing but would refund the charge, send me a RMA kit to return the supplies and told me I would see the credit within 24hrs. This started on 12-31-20, as of today 1-8-21 there's still no credit on the acct, been on the phone for the 5th time and now being told the credit went thru on 1-7, requested to talk with accounting dept and was told that can't be done and the only way for contact is email - seriously? WTH. I won't be giving this joke of a co anymore of my business and will be emailing my insurance Co about their unbelievable incompetence and non English speaking reps.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I have been without my heart medicine for 6 days. Optum is suppose to automatically send out your prescriptions if you sign up for it. When I saw I was going to run out I called them and got the runaround. I finally agreed to pay extra for quicker service. I am still waiting for my prescription.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

The last time we order ** insulin the site said it costs so much a dose as a co-pay after our insurance payment. When our credit card arrived and we figured out the actual cost we were floored. The cost was 12.5 time that much when locally we could have gotten it for half that cost. When I called they explained the insurance companies payment process payments and co-pays, not why they suckered us in with a lowball price. Even after I complained the fake price is still on their site. We'll deal with local pharmacies from now on.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

My husband and I began using Optum Rx for prescriptions a couple years ago with our insurance plan. In December my husband ordered heart medications he needs for Afib. Well here it is January 6 and they still getting runaround. It has gone beyond stressful! They don't care that the meds are sitting in Florida!! What kind. Of place is this. Beware! If you take necessary meds rethink using optum!!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Online submitted a request to refill an RX on file on 1/3/2021 (that was the date Optum's website showed it could be refilled). Its website showed it would be processed immediately. Checked the website on 1/4/21 to see the processing status. Showed no action had been taken. Sent an e-mail message via a link on their website asking what was going on. Got answer they were looking into it.

Heard nothing further so on 1/5/21, I called. Spoke to their rep who said the issue was they were having an issue with my mailing address. This is strange (actually a lie) since I've been a customer for over 8 years, haven't moved in all that time and had received an order from them just a few days ago. I verified my address. Rep told me the order would be processed immediately and on an expedited basis. Checked on 1/6/21. Now the website shows that it won't be processed (it will not ship for at least a day) until more than 2 weeks from the date I called. Even expedited I'll be out for at least 5 and I'm not sure this order will actually be expedited. Nothing better than a local pharm except the price. If you sign up for Medicare part D do not sign up with them or United Healthcare which uses Optum for their mail order supplier. You'll regret it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

OptumRX will put you through an exhausting, unending battle to get your medication. They will ask you for the same paperwork over and over, you will fax it to 10 different people, over and over, and still Optum will say they have not received it. My doctor will no longer deal with them on any level. He finds their entire company completely incompetent and you will have speak to at least 20 different people for 15-45 minutes each and still have not gotten anywhere. I waited 4 months to get a prescription filled. When I finally got it done, it arrived 2 weeks late and unusable since it needed to be kept cold and the ice packs had melted. Optum refused to take it back and I had to go buy it at CVS.

I spoke directly to one of their pharmacists who stated that Optum will put you through hoops to get your medication especially if it is expensive. They will make your life extremely difficult hoping you will give up. This company has sooo many bad reviews I am not sure how they survive. The only thing I will say is that they are very good at making you sick by not filling your meds and wasting an inordinate amount of your time not to mention the added stress to

your life. OPTUM RX-you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

For some reason a number of years ago my insurance switched my mail order pharmacy from Medco to OptumRx, and IMO it has been the WORST choice, over the years I have actually been yelled at by their representatives, been charged for medications I didn't order or authorize, had financial information retained but been told it had been deleted, lost prescriptions, malfunctioning web sites, CSR's that can barely speak English and recently they tried to authorize a medication I am allergic to, even after I called and was told it was corrected, due to the current world conditions I needed an emergency refill to tide me over until my december 2020 refills showed up, (ordered 3 Dec 2020, 5 Jan 2021 still no prescriptions), was assured repeatedly I would not be charged for the short term refill, another lie, I ended up being charged when I went to pick up the prescription, over all if I could give negative stars it would be a -10 star review, you have my sympathy anyone that has the misfortune of dealing with this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

They did not do what they said they would- provide me with a hassle-free reduced rate 3-month at a time supply of my medications. They have made this very difficult and have not helped me to remedy this, they will not even communicate with the doctor office, and cost me more money- they simply sent one month at a time and the amount they charged was 1 1/2 times more than the pharmacy charges. I plan to make sure my review of the organization is well heard in the public forums, and I let them know this also.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

My doctor sent in a prescription on Dec 7th 2020 since I'm no longer allowed to use a pharmacy of my choice. Yesterday Dec 29th, I was on the phone for over 3 hours trying to find out where my medication is since I have been out of medication for over a week. After finally calling customer service on the back of my insurance card I spoke to someone that could help me. He said the order was ran under a different insurance that I don't even have, and that is why I was denied, but yet I was told when I used the app to have them call me, they never received a prescription. I then called my doctor had a new prescription sent in, and told OptumRx that I needed it overnight since I have been out of my medication.

Today December 30th I still have not received my medication so once again I called. The little girl that I spoke with said I would get it by January the 5th and they do not do overnight service. I told her I do not understand, I do not have my medication of no fault of mine or my provider it was there pharmacy that tried to run it under a different insurance, and was told yesterday I would get it today.. All she could do was continuously repeat "It should be there by January 5th". This is definitely the sorriest mail order I've ever used. Prior to this my employer was using CVS Caremark. And why they decided to change is beyond comprehension. So now I am preparing for and entire year of calling OptumRx to make sure I receive my medications on time due to lack of trust with this company. Being in the health care industry, my heart goes out to my aging patients who are on much more serious medications that are required to use this medication factory.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

This company should be banned from doing business, they do not care about their customers and prey on the elderly they are supposed to serve. Totally incompetent and nonexistent customer service. Find a different company if you need your medicines.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Customer service is awful. Wait times are awful. I have spoken with OptumRx on three occasions and they have had a difficult time answering typical pharmacy questions. I included a manufacturer discount card with my prescription which they failed to add on to the cost and charge me the entire amount of the medicine. After speaking to them I was advised it would take 5 business day for the (back office) to ensure the manufacturer discount card is accurate, up to date, and apply to my account is it is. Where as when I was using Walgreens they were able to apply the discount within seconds. After the 5 days of all is accurate it will take another 5 days to process a refund. Completely unbelievable. OptumRx lacks typical pharmacy knowledge & customer service skills. There is absolutely zero reason for any type of change to take 10 (business days) to correct. This company shouldn’t be allowed to operate.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I am writing this review on behalf of my mother. She contacted Optum Rx regarding the delivery of her BP medication to which she was informed it was shipped December 14, 2020. I understand there is a delay in deliveries and we are in the middle of a second wave pandemic so delays are expected. We are now 14 days out and she ran out of medication last week. She called customer service and is told again it's in transit. So today I step in the medication was NEVER shipped because I tracked the package and the representative confirmed it hasn't shipped.

You are now playing with a person's life my mom's life which is not his concern. I ask to speak to a supervisor this would be the 2nd time I'm assisting her with the same issue. This particular representative decided to leave me on hold and then transfer me to a personal voice-mail where I can do nothing but disconnect the call. Great job! My mom will now have to go to the hospital in the middle of a pandemic because the ball was dropped and no medication has not been shipped.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I can't even begin to count the number of times this company has "forgotten" to send a prescription that is on automatic refill. Customer service reps are always very nice and helpful, but why should I have to be repeatedly call them for something that they can't seem to correct. I have had prescriptions "disappear" from their data base, not get reordered on time, said they called doctor's office when they haven't--- the list goes on and on. This has been going on for years. I have never had this problem with any other prescription supplier. This is one horrible company!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I do not know how many times I have gone through this with them. They send a serious prescription medicine through the mail, it does not arrive, USPS shows it as "pending" and they appear to be unable to track it when it does not arrive. They just throw the ball back to the customer and tell you to get another prescription from your doctor called in to a local pharmacy if you need the medicine. I escalated to the second level and they told me they give themselves 10 days to get it to you and if it does not arrive, they will mail it to you again then. So DO NOT RELY ON THEM if you need a prescription to be covered regularly, or if you do not want to have to get another prescription from your doctor to a local pharmacy every time they use USPS and it does not arrive on time.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I was hoping that an online Rx company would know how to serve its customers. They don't. It took days for them to process my order, days for them to prepare it for shipping and then they used USPS for shipping. Really? Thousands of dollars charged to the insurance companies for prescriptions and you use the worst company in the world for shipping? USPS? Hahaha, that's another story, thieves. Where is the customer service there? Emailing them doesn't work. I just got a form letter. Calling them didn't work, I was just told they would do everything I asked for to get me off the phone and nothing was resolved. Today I try to send another email and wouldn't you know it my email mail won't go through. Just another example of corporate America taking advantage of society. This country is imploding. Thanks Optum, thanks for nothing.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My drug required prior authorization, but absolutely no one from OptumRx is able to assist myself, my doctor or my pharmacy. We are given different answers every time, and their customer service reps are telling a new story or reason every single time. If I could choose, I would select a different provider, but this useless company is required to clear all prior authorizations for United HealthCare. If you have an option, stay FAR AWAY from these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Was going along fine for 3 months, then, for some reason, they started claiming I owe them $1300. I disputed; they told me I didn’t owe and they were looking into it and they were investigating, but this would not affect my shipments. However, every month they put me on hold for 15 to 20 minutes so a manager could override my account b/c I had an unpaid balance. This continued and they told me 2 more times that they were sorry, and they would ship me my medicine, b/c I did not owe the money. They even told a CS agent for the drug company that I didn’t owe them money, and my account balance was Zero.

Today, 11/19/2020, got a call that I still owe $1300. I told them that I didn’t owe them money, and told them the entire story. They actually asked me if I would pay the bill, b/c my copay assistance wouldn’t pay for the month of April, which is the month they are claiming that I owe for, but they have told me and a drug rep numerous times that I do not owe the money, and my balance is zero. If you don’t have to use this pharmacy, then don’t.

I switched pharmacies, and my new pharmacy bills my copay assistance $100 less. They don’t know how to do their jobs, but they are very willing to lie to you to keep your business, but don’t worry, while they apologize for the mistake they’ll just sweep it under the rug till next month: that’s what they did to me, and then still claim you owe them money. Funny? January to October, but I only owe for the month of April? Every other month got paid. Sounds like a billing error, but instead of fixing the problem and getting paid, they told me and my rep that everything was fine and I didn’t owe. Now they’ve waited too late and can’t get paid, and that’s my problem How? Buyer Beware.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

A typical pharmacy order from Optum takes 8-15 phone calls to get it shipped and then it takes about a year to fix the incorrect billing on every order. My doctor's office cannot stand working with this pharmacy and I am always angry with their incompetence.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

OptumRx has filled most of my prescriptions promptly. The price is great, you can't beat $0.00. However, twice in less than 3 weeks I have run out of a critical cardiac drug, one that can do great harm if you suddenly stop using it, up to and including death. The first time, a representative told me that the prescription "had been canceled." No information beyond that. I certainly did not cancel, nor did my cardiologist.

After days without the drug, I managed to get an emergency refill for 14 days locally. Then it started again. I had to call OptumRx twice to make sure they received a new prescription, which they well over two weeks ago. Besides their being slow in filling the prescription, now mailing is delayed. My prescription has been between Florida and New Mexico for at least five days, with no prediction of when it will arrive. Back to calling the doctor's office, getting another emergency supply, and it is now five days without this drug. I cut a pill into minute pieces, but used the last yesterday. I'll give OptumRx one more chance, but after that I will pay a premium to use a local pharmacy where I am known to them, and they to me. Sometimes free isn't worth it. I should add that there is never a notification when there is a problem with filling a prescription, and no communication when a refill is delayed.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

For months I keep getting numerous customer service phone calls and automated calls from people who have incorrect information medical information that I have tried to correct numerous times. This company outsources their customer service to Philippines and these people don’t know how to make corrections in their system.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information