formerly Prescription Solutions

1.1/5 (69 ratings)

About OptumRx

OptumRx specializes in the delivery, clinical management and affordability of prescription medications and consumer health products. Our high-quality, integrated services deliver optimal member outcomes, superior savings and outstanding customer service. We are an Optum company - the world's largest provider of integrated health services.

OptumRx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OptumRx?

Original review: July 17, 2022

I love my infusion nurse, that is the ONLY reason I stay with this infusion company. Their billing is chaotic and confusing, even they are confused by it when asked to explain it. I make monthly payments and had a remaining balance under $200. They began calling me before a month had transpired from my last payment to them and called me up to four times a day every day. It was incessant and ridiculous especially because this was my final bill with them and I had a solid payment history. Talking to anyone on the phone there will result in transfer after transfer and employees as confused or more confused than I was. Plan on AT LEAST 20 min of your timed sucked from your life anytime you call them for ANYTHING, even returning a call to a particular person with an extension will be a fiasco.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Optum Rx is hands down the WORST company I have ever dealt with. I suffer from chronic migraines and need my BOTOX injections.They will NOT release my meds because I have not paid yet. However; I have called them 43 times since April asking for my bill so I can pay. Every day they say it will be here tomorrow.. blah blah.. Still NO bill and my next injection is July 5th and they will not release my meds. They are horrible to deal with. They can't understand me and I sure can't understand them. It's a JOKE.

Original review: June 22, 2022

My husband's employer forces us to use this company for maintenance medications for the last four years. They have repeatedly canceled prescriptions on me even when my dr has said I need them. They decided that I just don't need them anymore and will no longer cover them. The latest is my thyroid meds. My dr called them in to be renewed with 3 refills. I go to fill them (I have 2 separate scripts) and they tell me my dr canceled them on me. My dr did not. She renewed them. They do not care at all.

Now I have to scramble to fix their mistake and hope I can get them renewed before I run out of the little I have left. My dr is no longer practicing as a primary care dr and trying to get a new one to take me because they all are backed up in my area still from the pandemic is extremely difficult. Hence the 3 refills. She knew I would need time. What am I supposed to do now? This company is the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Once again OptumRx has proved to be the worst on customer service. I got double billed $250.00 twice and the Company never contacted customers to tell them. This continues to happen. Don't allow them auto refills or keep a credit card on the system for them to bill at will. You will get screwed!!! This happened 3 times in one year.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I had to give them a star to write a review. That’s giving them too much credit. I’ve been trying to get a medication since December, 2021. I’m beat up, and worn down; an intentional tactic by Optumrx? Optumrx has lied to me, many many times, made excuses, given me absolute wrong information, and continues to cause a huge deal of frustration and stress. But be alert. They can provide prescriptions for very expensive drugs, which are NOT flagged as Auto Refill, and charge my credit card. Those surely are processed in a mighty quick fashion! They’ve even made notes on a prescription, faxed in by the dr., and claimed my dr wrote it. (I had a copy from my dr, luckily.) I have a lot of empathy for the elderly who have to deal with them. I’m sure they just pay the bill. This is wrong. This is cruel. I’m probably going to have file a complaint with our State Insurance Commissioner to help, and hopefully they will investigate.

Original review: May 17, 2022

My daughter has PTSD from when she was assaulted and tortured as an eight year old. Our insurance requires that we use the OptumRx mail in prescription for maintenance medicine. My daughter started the process as soon as she found out, over a month ago. She ran out of medication three weeks ago. As of this writing, we still do not have the medication. Every time my daughter calls OptumRx, they say they are waiting for her doctor to send them requested information or they just say they don't know??. We know for a fact that the doctor's office has been trying to communicate with OptumRx and providing everything requested; but the doctor gets a similar run-around or OptumRx claims they have not received requested information after the doctor's office has sent it.

My daughter had a trigger event at work today and I tried to call OptumRx to see if they would permit the prescription to be filled locally. They hung up on me the first time after a lengthy hold and the second time the person on the line told me that they could not talk to me because of HIPAA. Even though I am the primary my daughter is now over 18. I understand but I did not need them to give me sensitive information. I just needed them to get the prescription filled and sent. I needed them to understand it was becoming a critical matter. I lost my temper at the end of the second call. I'm not sorry. OptumRx is terrible! It should not take so long to fill a prescription. This is what happens when insurance is also the pharmacy.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I got stuck with this company due to an insurance change. My husband has been using a different mail order Prescription service for years without incident so I have been absolutely dumbfounded with the beyond ridiculously poor experience I have had so far dealing with this company. The phone reps have provided incorrect and misleading information and it has been a battle to get them to contact my retail pharmacy to get my prescriptions transferred. My experience has been so bad, I am already shopping for a different Medicare Insurer for next year.

Original review: May 2, 2022

We've been trying for 2 months to get a medication - required to life - from OptumRX. We've asked repeatedly for them to either ship it (never happens) or send it to CVS so we can pick it up. They claim they have repeatedly sent it to CVS, but this has not happened. CVS even checked all surrounding stores in case of a mistake. They have never received the medication. I would like someone to contact me if they know of legal solutions we can take to expedite the process.

Original review: April 26, 2022

They do not cover most diabetic supplies. Only one brand name is covered for each type (basal insulin, bolus insulin, CGM, etc). They prefer Lantus for basal, humalog for bolus, and dexcom G6 for CGM. All are very expensive. Much cheaper biosimilar drugs (insulin lispro or semglee) are not covered unless you get a prior authorization, and even if you do it is covered as a tier 3. They do not cover better insulins (like Tresiba). When I tried to get a prior authorization for Tresiba, it was denied. They do not cover the cheaper CGM (freestyle libre) and when I tried to get a prior authorization, it was also denied.

When confronted about these things, they always say they are not actually cheaper or are not as effective, but this is absolutely not true. For reference, prior to applying insurance, semglee is ~65% cheaper than lantus (its the same insulin), insulin lispro is ~70% cheaper than humalog (its the same insulin), and freestyle libre is ~80% cheaper than dexcom G6 (not the same product but similar in terms of accuracy).

Original review: April 25, 2022

The website is painfully slow and you cannot update it with correct information but when I called the reps were also not able to update the info with the changes that I needed. Plus, I had to make 3 calls to find that out because they kept disconnecting me so I couldn't take the survey at the end when they were not able to help me. Bottom line - my issue was unresolved, I can't order online, and I'll have to call everytime for a full dose of frustration!!!

Original review: April 24, 2022

Liars, inept, incompetent, never get a certain medication. It's been 3 weeks now. Worst company ever. Nothing but a pain in the butt. I don't know how they are allowed to stay in business!!! They do not care about their paying customers at all. So dissatisfied. Wish we could end this charade. Ford switched to them. Use to have Express Scripts and they were wonderful. Horrible, horrible company.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Just ordered (3) ** inhalers prescribed by my doctor. Went online and ordered 3 at $281 total. Prescription and online showed 60 puffs per inhaler (total 180) - received today and each inhaler only showed 30. I called and actually spoke with a pharmacist who explained that is how this prescription works and it is only 30 not 60. End of story. Beware and double check quantities before ordering. Very deceiving!

Original review: April 13, 2022

They failed to send my doctor a prescription renewal after I gave them all the information. Because I had to get a 10 day emergency refill they will not process the order for 7 days. Then they will ship. It will then take two to three days after that before it's mailed out. Then wait for it to arrive in the mail. Nothing but a bunch of worthless morons. They refused to move up the refill date even by two days. I am filing a formal complaint with my insurance company.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I’ve been waiting since February 2022 for my prescription and every time the ordered gets cancelled. I sent emails, contact them and still I haven’t received an answer. I just want to receive my medication how they say was going to be… “hassle free”.

Original review: April 3, 2022

Out of the blue I received a letter from Optum Rx that my daughter's needed medication for her autoimmune disease is now denied. She has been on this medication for 3 years. No reason given. Ford switched to Optum Rx this year. I never had problems with the previous company. Why is Optum Rx ok with denying a child a life saving medication?

Original review: March 30, 2022

First of all, the Optum Rx website is pretty much useless. It's impossible to determine what prescriptions they have received from my PCP, what has been shipped, and what will be shipped and when. This holds true not only for their website, but their iOS app as well. The only information you can count on is their text messaging service letting you know when a medication has been shipped.

Second, when my doctor sends prescriptions to Optum Rx, and the prescription is not eligible to be filled right away, Optum Rx often loses the delivery in never-never land and I run out of medications. When I call to find out where my medications are, they apologize and tell me to go to my local pharmacy and tell them Optum Rx authorizes them to give me a weeks worth to hold me over. Seriously?? For a controlled substance?? Ya think so?? My local pharmacy got a good laugh out of that. Then I have to go back to my doctor to get another prescription for a one week emergency supply, then pay full price out-of-pocket because the insurance will not cover cover it since there is already an outstanding prescription to another pharmacy.

Third, good luck understanding the person you are trying to talk to. When you have an issue that needs to be documented and/or an explanation for, you have to call back two or three times, each time asking for a supervisor until you actually get irate enough to get a supervisor.

Regardless of anything that they may do to try to do to correct a situation, it still boils down to the hard fact they they repeatedly run customers out of their medications, and it takes one week minimum to receive what should have been sent weeks prior.

My current situation is for a controlled substance pain reliever in which they received the prescription renewal on the 7th of March. I ran out on the 28th of March. They said they would expedite the shipment and I would receive it on the 29th. Now I have a tracking number from USPS telling me it should be here on the 2nd of April. I have been on the phone with them for the past five hours, having called three times, trying to come up with a solution. The first time she did nothing, even when I insisted on speaking to a supervisor. The second time I called and was transferred to a supervisor over mail order, and I was told the doctor did not send the prescription until the 28th of March. The third time I called, I told her I am going to continue to call until I get to speak to someone who will document this problem and do something about it.

I finally spoke to Erin, who was very understanding, wrote down everything, and has contacted my doctor for a weeks supply, and is currently planning on following up with my doctor to insure the prescription is sent to the local drug store, then will contact the local drug store to set up billing direct to Optum Rx so that there is no charge to me. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of poor service from a mail order pharmacy. I will have missed nine doses IF it arrives on Saturday, which I do not put that much faith in USPS, and 12 doses if it doesn't arrive until Monday. Simply inexcusable!

Original review: March 30, 2022

As a consumer, I’m not sure I have ever worked with a more inept company. Unfortunately, my insurance plan changed to United Health Care in January 2022 and their pharmacy services are provided through Optum RX. I have been trying since January to order one of my prescriptions through them. I have spent countless hours on the phone, been disconnected multiple times and have gotten varying responses which have been incorrect and have complicated getting the prescription filled. I have had my doctor send over many and varied requests to them in order to get the proper Prior Authorization and prescription - all to no avail. I am retired and have time to sit on hold for hours, but I can’t imagine having to deal with them if I were working or had no time.

This company should be ashamed of having employees who have not been properly trained to give consumers accurate information. They should also be ashamed of having processes in place so that a consumer never has the opportunity to talk to the same person more than once - thus creating multiple and varied answers that are not helpful in solving problems. If I had any other choice, I would never use this company again. They are completely incompetent.

Original review: March 26, 2022

Be very careful with these rapid tests required for cruises. I purchased 2 and neither test had the solution needed. The night before our cruise and dealing with this ripoff! The airport had testing on site luckily. I’ll never purchase again Binax from Optum store!

Original review: March 24, 2022

I missed 2 important physician appointment because the pharmacy never sent the medication to my doctor's office. Prior to this, the pharmacy assured me everything was in order, payment for my medication was received, and medication was to be shipped for next day delivery. YET it never was shipped. Instead, I get a call from the pharmacy again asking to verify all my information...again. Terrible pharmacy services where one hand does not know what the other is doing. If I had an option I would change pharmacy. Better yet, change insurance plans since they are part of United Healthcare, a subsidiary.

Original review: March 23, 2022

1: Their website is difficult to impossible to navigate. Company reps. You have poorly trained chimpanzees around the globe attempting to explain things they have no understanding of personally. Some speak English poorly. One insisted I had a heading on my screen because she had it on hers. 4 attempts to resolve a matter resulted in 4 different answers. 3: The "My Prescriptions" heading leads to a manual entry screen that has nothing to do with current scripts. 4: Your attempts to contact my providers are pitiful. I've never had the problem with any other company, and even when I'm able to enter a drug, I have no way of tracking it.

I received drugs 1, 2, and 3 after considerable effort, but drugs 5 and 6 were cancelled for being unable to contact the provider. Pardon me, masters of mail order, but that is the most blatant of **. One order was canceled because your dimwitted staff filled the wrong drug, and now can't seem to find the provider. Incidentally, I'm almost out of that drug, but surely that should make no difference. What's a week or two, more or less. If I had known the total buffoonery with which you run your business, rest assured you would not have mine.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Selling a travel COVID testing kit and claimed that customers should take the responsibility of the delay. I got the testing kit after my international travel, and they refused to refund. The delay was not just one or two days, but was a week. Don't know how a company can make the excuse like this.

Original review: March 22, 2022

We have been disappointed with OptumRX and do not recommend for the mail order Pharmacy. Our prescription of March 9 was not filled up until I called on March 21. They do not inform you reasons for delay! We will shop around and cancel OptumRX as our primary mail order pharmacy.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Optum RX: illegal???? I cannot afford to get 3 months' prescriptions at a time. I filed a Better Business Bureau claim against Optum RX. 2 weeks later they started charging an extra $85 penalty fee on top of my $45 prescription. They said I need to get 3 months at a time or they will charge me 10% of the TOTAL cost of the price of the medicine as a penalty fee. If everyone on this Plan in the State of Michigan pays penalty fees… that’s a heck of a lot of money!!!! WHO is pocketing all of this money???? OPTUM????? Sad to penalize seniors on Medicare on fixed incomes. Is this even legal?!!! We have had this insurance for 20 years and have never been charged a penalty fee before I filed the BBB complaint!

Original review: March 10, 2022

I tried the service for about a week and this has been a total nightmare. Crucial meds I was out for 1 week. Little over 1 week late. Then the medication that they sent wasn't the one that was suppose to be in the package. I'm going through again this week. They will process payment & send whenever. I can't get the medication from another pharmacy, because the payment from insurance was paid. You can't depend on their website totally inaccurate information. The representative don't notate their accounts. They are confused when you talk to them. I paid for quick delivery for crucial med & it didn't come on time. So they gave me a refund & the wrong prescription came so I had to wait 2 more days.

One time called the help desk # & she knew her job well. I'm really don't think it's the pharmacist. It's the representative lacking proper training. They don't know how to handle complicated calls...I like the benefits, but you must know how to be aggressive in getting them to do their job. Those representative represent the company. I've had an excellent experience outside of the mail order pharmacy. The medicine I'm currently looking for now isn't my needed med...Entirely different med.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I received a letter from OptumRx saying "Pay $0 when you fill a 3-month supply of the medication below," a statin. I called the 877 number and it took multiple questions and 20 minutes to find out the real deal - I would pay $0 for my prescriptions up to the "initial cost" of $4430, at which point I would pay 25% of the RETAIL cost, which are, generically -

statin, $519
Antidepressant, $348
Blood pressure, $155
Lung health, $453
Sleeping aid, 2 in total, $338
Hormone patch, $278

TOTAL per Month, $2091

So, I would reach my "initial cost" in 2.1 months at which point I would pay 25% of the RETAIL cost, or $522.75. I don't know what the new costs are this year, but last year I paid $881 for these exact same meds, 12 months worth. What a scam.

Original review: March 1, 2022

New part D prescription plan for AARP/UnitedHealth, fulfilled (not) by OptumRx. Requested tier reduction, doc sent drug and info. Denied for not providing name, dosage, and previous drugs. We sent all: This is only drug and dosage to keep me alive. What next?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have been trying to get a refill on my ** autoinjector for over three weeks following a change in insurance provider. At this point, I'm due to refill my March dose: as I'm only approved one per month, that is one entire month of migraine preventative that I have been denied. Such has definitely impacted my quality of life and the quality of work that I put into my career and schooling secondary to relapses in headache and migraine days. I have been on this medication since March of 2019 after failed escalating trials of other options overseen by my neurologist, finding this medication to be the most effective for managing my chronic migraine.

I do understand the purpose of step therapy in the grand scheme, and I jumped through those hoops for Cigna. ** ruined my ability to function for months and caused me to lose 21 lbs (that I honestly don't have to lose) just to ensure that I met their qualifiers for a "failed" trail. I understand that there was some apparent miscommunication between OptumRX and my provider, wherein my personal request for a PA was pushed off until they finally responded with confirmation that it had been submitted in September (yes: the PA for my old insurance). Once finally provided, I was promptly declined: I assume for lack of records submitted by my provider indicating that I have attempted other therapies, but who knows - I'm still awaiting the mailed letter.

Honestly: right now, *I* am the one suffering the consequences of the politics of the insurance industry as well as the repeat failings of communication between OptumRx and my provider. All I can do is call my provider to request their submission: I am at the mercy of the call center forwarding the message, waiting for the office staff to acknowledge the request, and hope that they forward all appropriate information. All I can do is regularly check in with OptumRX to see if records were received and wait for review. Each person along those steps is asked a short duration of their time before they move on and completely forget about the entire interaction.

Meanwhile: I have been without my medication for *three entire weeks.* While I'm somewhat thankful that this isn't something quite as dramatic as an antipsychotic, an anticonvulsant, or other medication where a missed dose could result in life-threatening consequences, this is still a medication that increases my number of functional days per month. I was being frequently sent home from work and bedridden prior to working with my neurologist, often locked in a dark room and quite familiar with the cleanliness of my toilet.

I just want to point out two of three promises clearly presented by OptumRX: "accessibility" ("Everything we do centers on getting you the medication you need, when you need it, your way.") and "advocacy" ("We'll be here to guide you any time you need us with compassionate care and a simple experience"). In three weeks, no one has worked with me to fill this lapse in my routine medication schedule. No one has provided me with alternatives for managing my chronic migraine. I work critical care in veterinary medicine: I don't have the luxury of taking an impromptu day off for an emergency neurologist eval to renegotiate a therapy plan that was working just fine. (And that's even if they can fit me in: I'm often scheduled months in advance.)

Honestly, I feel as if I am the most impotent entity in this entire situation yet have shouldered the bulk of the legwork in hounding each side to communicate with each other... neither side of which has made me feel as if a resolution to this situation is their priority. Even the denial for my PA was communicated via a prerecorded message with no additional information through my portal; the customer service agent I called told me that I would have to wait for the appeals letter through the mail. (Who knows when that may arrive.)

All in all, this entire situation is frustrating and disheartening. It's difficult to not feel thoroughly failed by the entities responsible for my healthcare, whose mercy I am entirely at in this. And the crux of the matter - whether one wants to admit it or not - is 100% the money. If I was intended to feel any other way, an approval for at least enough of my medication to shoulder me into a transition to a different therapy plan should have been granted. Instead: I'm left high and dry to see how my migraines emerge and balance how to respond. Who knows when this will be resolved.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

Tried several times to place orders, enter a new prescription, and communicate with a human being. Apparently they are only in the business of collecting money. Service is the worst we have seen or experienced. My prescriptions have now ran out and I am getting them locally 100% out of my pocket. Losing hundreds of dollars!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I have just spent 1/2 hour trying to obtain the correct mailing address for the great OptumRx. I spoke to two oriental sounding females, where English was clearly not their first language; upon reflection not sure if they understood it at all. My call was forwarded again, this time to the "Pharmacy" so they could give me the address that appeared to be a well kept secret. Surprise of all surprises, after waiting a further 4 minutes, I was hung up on. So much confidence instilled!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

They started to call me the day after the order was placed saying I had an amount due on my account. I told them I hadn't received the medication yet and if they would send me an invoice I would pay from that. They agreed. They never did send an invoice. They called me EVERY DAY telling me I had an amount due on my account. When I received the medication I went online to pay. You must register a card to pay, so they keep all the card details. Very nonstandard. Most reputable companies allow you to pay with a card and then store it for future use if you want. They now have my card details and if they are hacked, I'm screwed. I can't unregister my card.

The website has a feedback button, so I pushed it to directly give them this feedback. I entered all of these details then it said the response box was limited to 50 characters (not words, 50 characters). So, I shortened my response and still got the same error, even when I just put in "You suck", it still would not allow me to provide any written feedback, always saying the response was limited to 50 characters. Clearly they don't want to hear anything negative about their business.

OptumRx (formerly Prescription Solutions) Company Information