Complaints from Wal-Mart Employees

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I use to work at the Elverson, PA Walmart Store 3501. When I first started there things were great there. Everyone was working together and things got done. Slowly things started to change. Employees and managers started to change. Seems like Management and Corporate lost respect for us. Started getting the cold shoulder from them. No one cares. After Mr. Sam Walton died the company started trending away from the vision he had for this company. The company is no longer that family-oriented company. When you had a problem it got fixed, they listened, they supported. Now there is none of that. Now they're worried about the bottom line. They don't care for the employees. Things that go wrong even though it's a Management or Corporate decision fall down on the employee even though it doesn't work.

Every year we go through Black Friday and then we start getting large deliveries and or more deliveries than normal. For us in Dairy Department is not good because it overloads us. They expect us to clear our coolers. This can't be done, especially when they expect the fresh skids that are delivered are expected to be put out. But the bins stay full and we can't get to our bins. So things start to go out of date. Then they have 3rd shift put things out from the bins and we then get in trouble because the management finds stuff going out of date or the bins back being full again because of the overstock. Then the other problem is we use Telzons and MC40 devices to scan things and bin things. Well we are then told we are not allowed to use them, but we have to follow the process. So again if we follow what the Management says then we are in trouble again, but if we don't follow and do things the right way we are still in trouble.

Corporate and Management order too much stuff. The system says one our caps are wrong but on the floor and in the backroom they are correct. But it's our fault. My department managers knows what's going on and he is not even listened to. They think he does all the ordering but he does NOT. We have a Automatic Order System. Corporate and upper store management have control of it. But we get them blame no matter what. We can check every day for things out of date, and we pull things that are 5 to 7 days before their out of date. And we do that every day. And the next day we keep finding them out on the floor like they're trying to make us fail.

They blamed me for an item that went out of date that was found 2 weeks before and nothing was ever said about it till they asked me to come back to the manager's office and told me then I was terminated. Since there has been 26 employees that have been fired and new employees that were there only 2 or 3 days quit because of the way they are treated. Walmart really needs to wake up. It's a horrible place to work. They fired me the day after my 2nd year anniversary date. Dec 30th 2016.

I was employed by Walmart from July to August of 2016. When hired, I was strongly encouraged to get a MoneyCard so I could have my paychecks direct-deposited; the personnel manager told all new hires how easy this made managing paychecks. How could any of us say no? Now, months later, I am STILL fighting to get my last paycheck, which was direct-deposited to my MoneyCard September 8, 2016-- the same day MoneyCard froze my account. The day prior, I had received a letter stating that MoneyCard could not confirm my identity, and that in order to confirm it, I must fax copies of my social security card and ID or passport to a fax number in Georgia (which, by the way, is not associated with any of the Walmart or MoneyCard companies, according to their websites).

I called the number in the letter and was connected with a girl in the Philippines who informed me that I could either fax the info, or have my personnel manager call them to confirm my identity. However, she said, I should probably go and withdraw funds from the account before the card was frozen. The letter said this would occur on the 9th, so on the 8th, I went to Walmart to withdraw the funds that had just been deposited. The card was already frozen. What followed was a solid month of me calling the call center in the Philippines, driving back and forth to Walmart (usually spending 1-2 hours there each time, as a different manager tried but failed to resolve the issue), and trying desperately to reach ANYONE at Walmart headquarters who might resolve the issue. NOTHING worked.

I finally gave up, but I'm not done. I refuse to allow Walmart to steal my final paycheck from me; hell, it's bad enough they can justify paying employees such abysmal wages to begin with! The last interactions I had, however, left me so upset I had to stop for my own sanity. No one at the call center would give me any answers beyond saying I had to fax my info, and that "we have a team investigating you." I sat and listened as my former personnel manager spoke with central payroll services, who told her they WOULD not do anything to fix the situation (not could not, but would not), and her irate reaction. I even tried going through the ethics hotline; they said they had asked the district manager to contact me, but he never did.

The amount in question-- $342.51-- is a paltry amount for Walmart, but it meant, when this first occurred, that I ended up delinquent on bills, and would have had my electricity shut off if not for a compassionate relative. I am on the verge of locating an attorney to file a class action suit against Walmart, as I have found several accounts online much like mine, and there is an arbitration clause in the MoneyCard contract (convenient, right?). But really, I just want my money. How is it that Walmart is somehow above the law??

I've been working in Walmart store #174 going onto three years. The first year was pretty good but has the second year rolled in they decided to hire support managers. Ok so the support manager that comes in for evening is really terrible. He thinks that he can go over assistant management. Every time a assistant manager would give me a project that they want me to work on he always make me stop and do his demands. Which I don't understand since assistant managers is a higher position. I worked at this Walmart before him and when he started he was a cashier and then he became CSM and then support manager. I feel as though when a person is given a manager position that they need to be transfer to a different store. It seem as though he is consumed with power and all he does is walk around telling associates what to do and doesn't help with zoning or putting away returns.

One time he called me in the office just because me and another associate went to lunch at the same time even though it was unavoidable and either she would have went during someone else's lunch as well. Yesterday he yelled at me at customer service for the reason that he thought I was walking away from him while he was talking when I was just trying to get returns to take back to my department and he said that I could be fired for doing that. I feel as though I cannot tolerate him anymore and I now dread going to work because of him. I use to really like working for Walmart but now since they added "SUPPORT MANAGERS" it's been a unbearable place to work. I feel as though I need to change my schedule just to avoid working with him.

My fiancé worked at Walmart for 4 months and was being considered for a promotion. The week before the training for the promotion was supposed to begin, he receive his Christmas bonus. When we went to go pull the money from his account it was not available. The bank told us that Walmart had taken the money back. We went to Walmart, and he asked the HR manager what was going on. She said there was an accounting error, and that everyone's bonuses and paychecks from the end of the week had been taken back and that the money would be back in 24 hrs of the issue.

This was the 4th incident of this nature in the short time he worked there. As a result we were late on our house payment, as well as a few other big bills. He is now searching for employment elsewhere. In my personal opinion... A multi-billion dollar, international company should not have "accounting errors" and should never have to take money back from their employees. The employees have bills and families to take care of too. I will no longer shop at any Walmart, as I will not support a company that takes advantage of its employees, and treats them as if they are nothing. That is unacceptable for any company but especially one as large as Walmart.

I was fired over 1/2 day off too much which was never warned at all about my attendance. I thought so many days for 90 days, not 6 months and was never warned or talked to by management at all over anything. I am so upset over all this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart?

I have worked at Walmart for two years. I lost my job after 24 years and was desperate for work. This store is the poorest perform store in our region. I work in the parking lot as a cart pusher. The CSMs that oversee us do not care about anything as long as the job gets done. During Christmas season we would be overwhelmed and would constantly run out of carts. They wouldn't know it if they dropped out of the sky on on their heads. Forced to run GM and Grocery side by ourselves for 8 freaking hours running back and forth. This is not work, it is abuse.

Have been set up by CSMS and Night manager when I put a empty Pampers box in my car for my cat. The CSMS came to my cart pusher and looked at another small box I kept for trash. I got to thinking about it and took the empty box inside out of my car, knocked on the money room door, and the CSM and assistant manager were in there talking. I said "Oh in case you think I stole something it was just a EMPTY BOX!" The manager picked up the phone and told the co manager it was just a "empty box". So, If went home that night with the box I would have been accused of stealing.

I have been working here for almost a year now. It's totally not bad but there is an age factor here. We were told that all cashiers would be cross trained for the customer service department but the only ones being trained is the younger ones under 30 years old. One person who started with me got a position for customer service without even apply for it. She is under 30 years old. All the CSM's are under 25 years old... They look out for the younger cashiers. The doors at this Peterborough store were broken and it -32 with the wind and this CSM made sure the younger ones switched from time to time where she left myself there for the whole 7 hour shift. So if you are over 40 watch working here. As for any promotion forget it.

I worked at Wal-Mart for a month as a cashier, got all the points due to fault of management. I accidentally clocked myself out, spent thirty minutes trying to find a manager to fix it and he said he did yet he did not fix the point I got. I did not know until later. I asked personnel to fix it and she claimed I had more points to leaving work, three hours early on thanksgiving and I told her that was not right since that was my schedule time to leave yet she would not help me pull up the work sheet from them and claimed I came in three hours late and thirty minutes late one day. I told her I had mixed up the date on the thirty minute one and she laughed saying that that was not their problem and I demanded to know the three hour late one cause I have never been that late for a job in my life as a cashier in other stores.

She showed me the date but I told her the system was wrong yet she refused to look into it any further and told me to come back on my day off and take it up with the head lady when I will be already fired by then. That woman proceeded to ignore me and talk to me as if I was riff raff to where I cried on my lunch break later as it was their policy to help us and they treated me like a criminal with no help at all. They don't care about us. All they care about is money.

I have worked for this company for 8 months now. I have seen over 250 people be fired for the wrong reasons. Been passed up for management several times by people that have only been there for 1 to 2 months, been verbally abused by csms and assaulted by customers! Been forced to work in a hostile work place!

I'm new to working here at Walmart and I had always heard from friends or from previous workers that it's a horrible place to work and everyone working here told me not to apply because I would regret, and I absolutely do. I'm a cashier but when I began working I started as an unloader (hardest job to work for only 9 dollars an hour). So, I got transferred to cashier which I thought would be easier.

Firstly, the head manager of Walmart doesn't care about ANYONE of the workers, NONE! Example: Hurricane Matthew hit South Carolina like a bus and a lot of workers had to work DURING the hurricane. The manager was called and was asked, "If we can't show up today because of the hurricane will it still count against us?" He proceeded with an entitled "Yes, it will," and he was then asked, "So, you want us to risk our lives to come in to work?" And his answer is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard. He said, "Wal-Mart is more important than your lives." WHO ON EARTH SAYS SOMETHING LIKE THAT??? WHO? Is that not absolutely insane? I've been working here for barely 5 months and I really am trying to quit but I live in the middle of nowhere so jobs are hard to come by.

The CSMs, two of them in particular treat me like actual garbage. My lunch breaks are ALWAYS 1-2 hours late and it's not because they have no one to relieve it's because these two CSMs are EXTREMELY LAZY! I'm on my lunch break typing these and one of the aforementioned managers sent someone to me to give me my lunch break then immediately sent that person to a whole different register and I asked, "Wasn't that employee to come to me for my lunch?" She said, "Yes, but I sent her to another register." For what? It's my lunch. Plus, we get told "Don't take your lunches too late or you'll get a meal violation? How am I supposed to control when I go to lunch? It's the CSM's job, not mine and if they can't correctly do their job then they don't need one.

This same manager gave me one of my previously lunches TWO! TWO WHOLE HOURS LATE, because she "forgot about me". There is no way she forgot about me when the documents she uses to give out lunches are almost always with her and she sent others to their lunches instead of sending me to mine! There are so many other examples of these but it's only this CSM and another that treat me this way.

PLEASE DONT WORK AT WALMART. THEY MARK YOU AS A PART TIME WORKER AND WORK YOU FULL TIME! They don't even give me time to sleep! Last night I had to work until midnight and be back at 9 am this morning!!! It takes me 30 minutes to get home, then I have to wake up on time to leave to get there without being fired. I hate hate hate this job! Please don't work here. I'm going to call corporate now and hope that they will do something. WORST JOB EVER.

Slave Labor expected! I have worked many jobs but never one such as an overnight stocker at Walmart! They don't train you, put you out in the floor alone and expect you to do an enormous amount of work all for a whopping $9.50 hr. It is the hardest job I have ever worked for the least amount of money and absolutely -0- training. You can't ever find or get a straight answer about anything from any supervisor company related or otherwise. They require you to work holidays but you are not paid holiday pay. Benefits are not given to part-time employees and they hire you part time but work you full time. They are always telling the employees not to join a union which is totally unacceptable! If they were union we would make decent wages for the amount of work expected of "new employees."

I have a documented disability. I had an accident requiring medical attention. I knew I was REQUIRED to go into work FIRST so I didn't lose a point. I was not doing well nor performing well and chose to leave after working three hours - as suggested. I STILL am being written up and will lose a point. I immediately went to the doctor - got a note but it won't matter.

I have a BA. I took this "survival job" while job seeking and in hopes to progressing quickly to as promised. It is more than clear this greedy, unethical company is all about the dollar and NOT about "Sam's employee first" values. They don't care about you - you're just a cheap number. They're all talk - a facade. I will be boycotting them once I move on. It's a couple of bills for now. Side note: I didn't even get paid yet! They're very unorganized. Some people are cool. Others, most, are uneducated with power trips. Most associates are nice and work hard, really care about the customers - the bread and butter of Wal-Mart. They deserve so much better than this money greedy company takes.

I started working at Wal-mart in June of 2016, as a Part-Time Maintenance Associate. During my stay I was made to work full-time hours (over 32 hours a week) while being paid and listed as a part time employee. I received only the barest minimum of training and was refused training on anything necessary for me to help customers.

Anyway, after 5 months of working for this company, my supervisors started following me around and harassing me while I was working. I had two CSM's sprint after me while I was cleaning bathrooms in the liquor store, and they demanded that I dry the floor with paper towels after mopping it. On multiple occasions they followed me into bathrooms to make similar unreasonable demands. They also followed me around while I was roaming the floor, and got on to me whenever I tried to talk to someone.

The last straw came when I got coached because one of my coworkers said something offensive in my presence, and I "Didn't walk away from the situation". My supervisor and one of the assistant managers forced me to sign a paper saying that I wouldn't talk to anyone. Just, outright not talk to anyone. I handed them my vest & badge, then walked out the door. This company has NO RESPECT FOR THE INDIVIDUAL, while at the same time promising that it's one of their biggest standards.

I was a employee of Walmart 1269, Louisville. On Hurstbourne Pkwy. I was a produce dept employee. On Monday Nov 14th I came out to my car after my shift. My car had been broken into and the thief had stolen my purse out of my locked trunk. I have only lived in Louisville 6 weeks. I was parked three spots from front door. Thief got away with my purse, credit cards, ID, SS card, cash, medication, etc. I immediately went back in store and asked for security and for the customer service dept to ???? police. They did not call ???? police. Security came out after 10 min and told ME to call police and said they would run video. I then went back to parking lot to wait on police. An hour later Walmart security came back out and informed me that they had guy on video and police could see it if they wanted.

At no time did a member of mgmt come out to talk with me or give any employee support!!! My car keys were in my purse also. So I spent the next 5 hours waiting on locksmith to make new key so I could at least drive car home. At no time did a member of mgmt come out and check on me or offer ANY HELP. This process cost me over $200 plus loss of everything in purse that I mentioned. I have high blood pressure and became very ill while sitting there waiting. Finally got home that night and the next three days consisted of getting blood pressure to go down and replacing all personal items.

I cannot work there any longer and drive my car there because thief could return, get in my car and drive away!!! He has a set of keys. Walmart explained to me that there was nothing they could do about extra security because they don't own parking lot. I understand all of that but it bothers me to work for an international company that strives on customer's service and employee satisfaction that absolutely offered no kind of support for an employee in dire need of help. I worked hard there and never missed any time and I truly believe they could have offered me help of some kind?

I worked at Wal-Mart in the deli for over two years. The last straw was when management wouldn't properly get an outlet fixed that was literally hanging onto the bare floor. We had to get that same floor wet each night to clean it. They claimed there wasn't electricity running through it. They expected me to trust their word in that. Yeah right. I also operated a machine that had the ground prong broken off every day. So whenever I went up to this machine and touched it to do my job it would give me a nice little "poke". The manager knew but never tagged and locked it out. Just kept on letting us work like that.

One time the ground prong was broken off of one of the meat slicers as well... and we got busy so we had to use it and we'd get a poke when touching it and all our manager could tell us was "just make Sure you're not standing in any water when you're slicing the meat". Wow! You would think if any of us were smart enough and not worried about retaliation we would have called OSHA. Fortunately I quit before I got electrocuted. When working in Wal-Mart deli you're expected to work with raw chicken and ready to eat foods all at the same time because they are so understaffed.

This happened on Nov 7, 2016. Store: Long Beach Walmart Supercenter. 7250 Carson Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90808. (562) 425-5113. I came into the store at 9:40pm. I didn't leave the store until 11:25pm. This is what happened. I came to buy 2 money orders. I paid with 4 debit cards. The transaction went through and the first money order printed. The 2nd money order failed to print. The cashier called for assistance. Apparently they need a key to open up the money order machine to fix it. They called back for someone to find the key. No one can locate the key. This took approximately 20-30 minutes. By this time there were 4 Walmart employees/managers there. They huddled to figure out what to do. One manager came up to me with her decision. She said that they would be cancelling the transaction and the funds would go back to my debit cards. "I should go home now," she said. I didn't trust this decision.

I asked her if I can get a receipt. She said she can write it on a piece of paper for me. I said no, I'll just wait until she actually cancels the transaction. She said ok. Her plan was to shut down all the computers so the transaction would cancel. The cashier asked her what should she do with the printed money order? She said write on the back "Do Not Use". The cashier began to write "NOT US" on the back when the manager told her to wait. She started to look at the receipt and realized that the funds have already gone through. I had already paid for that money order. Now another manager comes over to investigate. I think his name was **. Somehow, they were able to find the key to the money order machine. They got the key and ** tried to fix the machine. By this time, it was 40 minutes in. He took about 20 minutes to try and fix it. What he got was a mutilated money order. They huddled again to see what they can do.

By this time it was approximately 1 hour in. ** went back to the back office to figure out what to do. Approximately 20 minutes later, he came back with another manager. I asked him what were my options at this point? He said well, for the mutilated money order, I was going to get my money back. I said ok. I said "and for this money order?" He said "well, since it printed and the funds are in there, I can take it and go cash it." I said, "but it's been written on. It says 'NOT US' on the back." He said, "well we can cash it for you right here." The other manager said they'll waive the fees. I was agreeable to this since it would be like voiding the transaction and I'd get my money back. So they go through the process of cashing the money order and getting my money back. They told me to sign the money order to my name, enter my SSN and they would process the money order.

In the middle of the process, ** gets a call on his headset. I'm guessing it was from the other manager (he left after I agreed to cash the money order). The person on the line told him to call Money Gram and instruct them to release the funds. The cashier asked him if Money Gram was still open at this time? ** said he is not sure but go ahead and call. So they began to call Money Gram. It seems that Money Gram won't release the funds. They have some sort of 24 hour rule which the cashier already told **. I asked ** what were my options at this point? He said "well, you can either go home with the money order and cash it somewhere else, or you can come back tomorrow and we'll cash it for you." I didn't want to leave with a money order that has writing on the back "NOT US".

I said "what about the writing on the back?" He said the funds are already in there, so it's a good money order. I said "but there's writing on the back." He asked me, "well, what do you want?" I said I paid for a blank money order. He said "but you already filled it out." I said "I filled it out following your directions to cash out the money order immediately." He said "we tried that, it didn't work." I said "but why would you give me an option that doesn't work? If I knew that option is not viable, I wouldn't have opted for it." He said "but they are closed now. Furthermore, there's a 24 hr rule," he said. Again, he told me that I can come back tomorrow to cash it. What he failed to mention that, if there is a 24 hr rule, I wouldn't be able to come back tomorrow. It was already past 11pm and the money center closes at 10pm. 24 hours would be 11pm the next day, so again, he was giving me another non-viable option.

I told him that it was his responsibility to make sure that the option was viable before he presented it to me. I asked him what were my other options? He said there are none. "You have to take the money order as is," he said. He said "it's just a matter of cashing it somewhere else or coming back to cash it here tomorrow." I asked him "what happens if another bank refuses to cash it?" He said "well then you can come back here and we'll cash it." So I was imagining all of the hassle of trying to cash this money order. I can try to cross out the writing on the back. That wouldn't look right. I can try and cash it the way it is.

I can imagine the banks would have a problem with the writing. I can come back to Walmart in a couple of days (24 hour rule) and try and cash it. I'll probably get another cashier who will look at the money order and ask why there is writing on the back. That cashier will probably call a manager and that manager might not be the same manager. I probably would have to explain what happened and it'll just all be one big hassle. This just didn't seem like a good option for me. But, I had no choice. ** forced me to take the money order. I just gave a big sigh of frustration and left. So, to recap, I was told to go home by one manager without a receipt. If I would have followed her advice I don't know what would have happened to my funds. It would have been a mess to try and track it down since the funds were already transferred to Walmart. That manager also instructed the cashier to write on that money order "NOT US".

A 2nd manager told me to sign it and cash it out immediately, only later to find out that option was not a viable option. He also forced me to take something that I didn't pay for. I paid for a blank money order. I was forced to take a money order that was written on with the words "NOT US" on the back. I was also charged a fee for this.

I spent almost 2 hrs at that store. I don't understand why it took so long? Why did it take almost 2 hrs? When the issue started, one money order printed and one did not. 2 hrs later, we were at the same spot: one money order printed and one did not. It unnecessarily took them 2 hrs to come to a conclusion that could have been decided immediately when it happened. They could have given me the blank money order and refunded me the money for the money order that did not print. Instead, 3-4 managers got together to solve the issue and the result was: Almost 2 hours of my time, a money order that was written on that I was forced to fill out, my money back for the money order that did not print, no apology from any manager.

My daughter began working for Walmart 2.5 years ago. Due to her disabilities the position available were limited. She was hired as a greeter, although they have her doing much more and I don't really know of one day that she has worked as a greeter. She has worked zoning, returns, maintenance and others. In the time she has been there she called off one time, due to having wisdom teeth removed and has never been late. She has been requesting full time and asking to be trained for different positions. She is told they do not have openings or additional hours, yet they are continually hiring new full time employees.

She recently was 'coached' due to a confrontation between her and one of her relatives. As anyone familiar with individuals with disabilities knows, they sometimes have difficulty being able to deal with conflict. I do understand and so does she that she should have handled the situation differently. Some things need to be experienced order to learn from the mistakes.

Since this instance they have scheduled her for four hours. So in the next three weeks she will work 4 hours. In 5 weeks they have scheduled her for 16 hours. They claim it is due to lack of available hours, but again they are hiring new employees. Yes she may be able to file for unemployment but that is not the way our children should be taught to live. In my opinion they are limiting her hours in an attempt to force her to quit.

I worked for Wal-Mart for 4 months. I was fired yesterday for being a 1/2 a point over. There was no warning, I wasn't even aware that I can look up my points on the wire until today when I went back in to talk with the store manager. It was then that I was told it's my responsibility to keep track of my points, that they aren't 'babysitters'! I was treated as if I was just a number from this manager who also was very defensive and didn't seem to care about what I had to say. I was hired as a cashier but took it upon myself to learn everything I could in customer service because I had intentions of becoming a csm.

In 4 months time I learned everything in Customer Service, had numbers and could get money from the money room also. No one else there has had that all down in that amount of time. I wouldn't ever just stand around either as some of the cashiers would. There was always something I could find to do besides just talking and ignoring the customers. I worked harder than most of the cashiers there, where in fact several of the cashiers had several coaches and complaints, I've had zero.

Wal-Mart claims to care, well they only seem to care about themselves. I've never been treated this way by any employer I've ever had, I just moved into my own place, I am a single mom who gets no help, they don't care about any of that though. To just let an employee go so easily over half a damn point is ridiculous! I came back in today to try to beg for my job back and all I got was comments by a rude manager who treated me like a number. I am livid! Yes I accumulated the absences (4) which is my fault, I'm not making excuses, only saying they should, as management, let us know when we're on the verge of going over our allowances.

I had a big misunderstanding also about the point system and was told wrong information, from an asst manager btw, about the points I would get if I went home early. Anyway, Sam would be appalled if he could see how we're all being treated across the board. As I can see from all the other posts on here, I am not alone. Shame on you Wal-Mart.

I worked for Walmart for about 9 month. In that time I assisted customers in ALL departments for one reason. The store was so understaffed and management was so inept that every decision made on the sales floor was by far and away the wrong one. Whatever you do, so long as "Roger" is president of Walmart, look elsewhere for a job and when you find it spend your money at any place but Walmart. Oh yes, in that nine months I passed the management exam twice... Nothing ever came of it.

I worked for Walmart and it is not a nice place at all. They don't train you. They make you watch videos of cleaning the floors when it isn't your job 'cause you have to do your job. What happened to Betty working in the 5 and dimes which Walmart is? Instead you've got bosses that have their head up their butts and live in "high" class neighborhoods who are retired. Walmart is for poor people who have no income, for elders who need something to do or housewives for a small income. It is not a nice place and it should be. People are not nice b/c the demands are so high.

I was hired in that Walmart after a long period of being jobless. Jobless they were such disorganized, had no cbl, no computer and no schedule. I see there is no choice. TALKED TO MANAGER AND ASSISTANT MANAGER. They told me “You cannot reapply.” Even after two weeks went there again. Was told that while she was lying to annoy me. She had reported four no show so that I be terminated. When was accepted by a new Walmart after doing all paperwork the new Walmart mentioned I could start on next week. I quitted another job I had, bought uniform. My kids happy. Suddenly new Walmart found last report on the computer and denied me. I want to say even that all happened was all legal, no retaliation happened. I ask you do I deserve such a fate? By God I was not deserved to be behaved like this. You could not see the joy in the eyes of the personnel.

Hi I have a friend who has been with Walmart since April 2014. She loves her job. She loves who she works with and the customers are amazing. However she feels some of the management is very unfair and treats me very badly. Like the other day a customer came in and said she had some maybe mistakes on her receipt. She overlooked them and asked her does she have everything on her receipt with her or anything already brought to her car. She asks everyone this question and the customer got very offensive. She did however apologize but she asks everyone this question. Later that night her assistant manager pulled her in the office and wanted her to write a statement what had happened. Was this a right way to go about bringing her in the office and asking for a written statement. Does it seem like my job is on the line now?

I am writing very angry over the way Wal-mart treats their employees. They say they are there for families, but they're definitely not there for their employees. They are continually changing policies on how often someone can be late or call off. Then they just fire them. A corporate decision NOT the local Wal-Mart you are working at. To corporate you are just a name and number and they do not care what reasons you may have from health issues, car problems, death in the family or any other unfortunate thing that may happen to you. We never know what is gonna happen in our every day lives beyond our control. Wal-mart needs to take a personal approach with their employees and let the actual Wal-mart you are working for handle your problems.

They are the ones to know how good of a worker you are and if you truly have reason to be late or absent. I have several family members and friends that work for Wal-Mart and have been treated unfair from a company that supposedly cares. My son was let go after three years for being late. They had changed the occurrences again for the 100th time of how many is allowed. They knew he did the work of three people while he was there and always stayed to work over whenever they needed help. Then they would have him come in late to offset his time and they would fix the schedule so time matched up. That is if they remembered.

The day he was let go he had called to let them know a half hour before his shift he was gonna be late by half an hour. There was a storm and electric was out and he had a 45-minute drive to work. Unfortunately just 2 weeks prior he was in a bad car wreck and then when he did get another car he was breaking down... So it didn't matter how much of a good worker he was or how much over time he did for the company... All that mattered to them was for their employees to NEVER have circumstances beyond their control...

On September the 10th I purchased a Samsung phone at the Walmart on Short St in Dallas, Tx. When I took it home I plugged the charger in. A few hours later I noticed that the phone was still dead. I then realized that the phone was a dud. I went back to the Walmart I purchased the phone and stood in the customer service line forever. I had brought back the box, the phone, the charger and the receipt. When I finally got a manager I politely explained my experience. She immediately craned her neck and in rude tone she accused me of breaking the phone and said she would not give me my money back. I will never shop at a Walmart as long as I live. I suggest other people take their trade to good places such as Costco and Target.

I was hired as of August 11, 2016 to work at the new Walmart location in the Empire Center in Burbank, CA. I started out as a 40 hour a week employee. I was then hired to work in the Cosmetics Department where Erica the manager starting cutting my hours. This was done regardless of how hard I worked. This was done regardless of my job performance. This was done regardless of how much money the department was now making due to my connections in the community which are huge. I am beginning to think that it maybe age related. My age is 58 but my work is not less productive due to my age at all.

My hours are now cut to only 8 hours for the first week of October 2016. This cutting of hours has been happening to most of the hourly employees. However only a few have been cut to just one day. This may have been done due to retaliation for a complaint of age discrimination that was filed with corporate by a fellow employee in this department. Erica, the manager of the Cosmetics Department is a very political person with a very negative attitude. I have made an attempt to transfer to another department that needs people with my qualifications but it has not happened yet. I am not sure what is going on with that.

Overall experience: It appears that Walmart hires new people constantly then Walmart cuts the hours of the ones that they hire to make them homeless. It appears that this is an attempt to waste the time of employees who need to make a real living by keeping them available for the company while controlling how much money they actually can make with the company. It also is a way that Walmart is discriminating against the older employees and the minorities that have less recourse in society. There is a so-called open door policy for employees to talk to the manager of the store when such problems arise. However all attempts to do so have been thwarted. I believe that this happens to all hourly employees who make the effort.

UPDATED ON 10/05/2016: There were 30 of us who were laid off on September 30, 2016 from this Walmart just before the holidays are about to start. We were told that we could not re-apply for employment for 30 days. We were told that this had nothing to do with our job performance(s). We were told that we all did excellent work but that the so-called temporary jobs that we were hired for were terminated. No, I will not trust Walmart again for anything. This has created very bad blood with the community here in Burbank. This is an additional review of this matter for Consumer Affairs to the original review that I wrote in re Walmart in Burbank. By the way: I am telling the truth in these matters. I am certain that Walmart is not a company that likes it when people tell the truth about them and they can't hide behind intimidation of their employees as a means of preventing the public from getting the facts.

This is in response to a number of posters, but especially to "Vela" of Tulsa, OK. You absolutely are a time thief - in what universe do you think it's appropriate to punch in and then get paid to walk 10 minutes to the back of the store, I'm sure spend another 10 minutes getting your coat off which for whatever reason probably takes you longer to do than normal people because of "fibromyalgia," or some other **, undiagnosable disease you have that causes you factitious pain, stop to chat to 15 of your friends who are probably already in the back room at 10 am on their first (or second) break already since that's basically all associates ever do, then start working after all that.

That used-to-be 15 minute, now 10 minute grace period built in is to accommodate people who might be running late. You're not supposed to use it every day to start working 10-15 minutes into your shift. Entitled! Why would you think you're supposed to clock in and then walk all the way to the back to hang up your coat and get your equipment only to actually start performing labor all that time after you began being paid for your labor?

There was another poster who tried saying the 9 hour shifts were "illegal," because even though you got the 1-hour lunch and 2 15-minute breaks they were somehow working over 8 hours and therefore that is illegal? Hun, maybe the reason you find yourself working at Walmart is you never passed math class. The whole "illegal" thing is trumpeted by a bunch of associates I have run into over the years as well. "Legally," (depending on the state), you aren't entitled to a break. That's common corporate practice but it's not a matter of legality. You don't just start accumulating OT for a shift going over 8 hours mary. You actually need to incur over 80 hours in a two week period AND then work a 40 hour third week... otherwise that third week they're technically able to staff you X # of hours under 40 to compensate for the two week pay period of being over 80 hours.

Walmart has some of the most generous break/lunch time policies of any place I've ever worked let alone heard of... except if you're an actual professional with an education such as the pharmacists or the store managers. Then you get like 30 minutes in a 12.5 hour shift if you're lucky. We used to have problem associates who would leave "to go to lunch," and I'd start writing the times down and verifying with personnel and I learned they weren't actually clocking out until like 10 minutes after they left to go on lunch, and then coming back at least 10 minutes after they clocked back in again, essentially giving them 80 minute lunches.

Of course their two 15-minute breaks were always extended to like 20 minutes or even more because inevitably every single day "they got stopped by a customer," because even if they take their smocks off and are in plainclothes apparently the residents of the town are psychically able to detect which ones the employees are. Or the 25 minute bathroom breaks "I couldn't use the front bathroom (that's 10 feet away) because some woman got sick in there and was puking and if I hear puking I puke and so I had to walk to the back bathroom but there was a line/someone was cleaning it/a manager stopped me to ask me questions so that's why it took me so long."

I love the fat slobs (oh wait, that's LITERALLY EVERYONE WHO WORKS THERE) who take like, m&m bags or snickers bars or god knows what out of their pockets and eat it while in view of customers too, often responding to questions in between mouthfuls of food. Super professional and definitely not disgusting. The last thing I want to touch upon - at least for now (I should save some material for tomorrow) - is the bizarre, entitled, I-think-this-behavior-is-normal mentalities we see from the majority of employees. You guys get ***9 times*** to call in, within 6 months, before termination. That's the same number of absences Ferris Bueller had which caused the principal to want to expel him! Dude, 9 times in 6 months is HUGE, I don't care if you have a doctor's note or not.

Normal people, like, from cities/regular places which are not the dying, rural, racist, bigoted redneck Rust/Bible Belts, often go years without needing to, or utilizing, a sick day/call-off. It's odd to me that rural America is romanticized as these hard working, honest people who wake up with the Sun and don't go to bed until 18 hours of chores are done a day. Whoever those people were died by the late 70s when the last of you gave up on an honest day's work and picked up the crack (meth) pipe and started referring to "swamp pits" as "swimming holes". We have those type at my store, too. Oh you had to call off 3 times in ONE WEEK because you got a rash, or your husband didn't feel like driving you to work even though you are 45 and should have a license by now, or I get scared driving in rain/snow so I couldn't make it.

Normal people, aka like 99.9999% of the people I know in the world who are not employed by Walmart, do not need 9 absences in a 6 month period because they successfully transitioned to adults by the time they hit 40. Then they all come to this site and bitch and moan about how unfair Walmart is because they had some B.S. reaction to some aspirin and had to go home, or they suffer from "migraines" which they cannot differentiate from a regular headache and like to be dramatic, or their adult child who still lives at home sprained his ankle and doesn't know how to get to a hospital by himself despite being 32. I love "intermittent LOA" too. I've never heard of a more BS, get out of jail free card in my life. We have some ** who claims she has "anxiety" and uses her intermittent LOA like once a week at least to not come in. Well ** if you have anxiety go work an overnight someplace not busy so you aren't too stimulated.

"I can't believe I got points for calling off when my fibromyalgia was acting up so bad I had to go home for 3 days and sit on my 325 pound ass and complain about my blood pressure, diabetes, and constant fatigue." Fibromyalgia has become the diagnosis of the poor white woman of the red states. I openly call people claiming it "fakers" to their faces. In any case, it's time to stop blaming everyone around you for why you don't succeed and realize you're ** lazy and entitled.

I have been with Wal-Mart just shy of three months. I reported a late to work due to my ride not being on time. I was only late by 5-6 mins. I miss 3 full days. 07/31/16 I went to the ER for my kidney problems which I've had all my life. I had a doctors saying I could return in two days (31st was a Sunday which I work a full shift). Next day was my day off 08/01/16. I returned to work on the 08/02/16. I ended up having a bad reaction to my antibiotic on this day. The CSM told me I should go back to the ER. So she let me clock out early on 08/03/16. I call out on the 08/04/16 because my reaction was still really bad and again on 8/05/16. 08/11/16 I called in because my mother had a toe amputated. I haven't missed a day since. So did the tardy and being sent home early count against me???

Horrible hours. I would routinely work 8-10 days in a row with 1 day off then another 8-10 days in a row. Employees were ridiculed constantly and I would get lectures on how to manipulate my employees. My shifts are scheduled for 10 hours but routinely went between 12 and 14 hours. Not worth my time. Worst job I ever had or will have.

It's not fair to cut hard working people hours just to give new employees their hours. The hour they cut from other hard working Walmart employees make it hard for them to put food on table are pay for their medicine and bills because they hours were cut... and some of the people they hire dont take their jobs seriously. I acknowledge the ones that been there for years are one years and 8 months. I dont like the way they speak to some of worker because they are over them. To me this is disrespectful and if they dont like it they can leave. Im a customer.

After recently relocating I was looking for a low stress job while continuing my educational pursuits. Just for some background my education is in social work. Currently I am awaiting approval of life credits for completion of my degree. Furthering my education is part of being in the field; my goals are specific to substance use, criminology, and mental health.

A local Walmart contacted me stating they had received my application and would like me to come in for an interview. While on vacation I received a call they would like me to come in to meet with an AM to interview for a customer service manager (CSM) position which I had already met with personnel for. I explained I would be back in a week and call to set up the appointment. On my return Sunday 7/24/16 I immediately went to walmart which is located in Hudson NY on 7/25/16. Mrs. ** was helpful and polite, explaining the process, walking myself and other new hires through the paperwork signing process.

Upon completion of all paperwork and watching videos, in which one was an active shooter video that shows employees what to do, the three things are "avoid, deny, defend" however the conversation is do not defend if you can escape or hide. The more prudent course of action would be to have an asset protection manager or upper management walk new employees through the store and show them where all exits are located and how to keep themselves safe while also helping to keep anyone around safe by getting out of the building.

Then following a video appears about unions and protecting your signature, this billion dollar corporation has made it a practice of hiring new employees and telling them that unions will ask for their signature and continue to use it, take their money and not help them, masking some of the realities of what unions do to protect employees of big corporations and employers who tend to have management issues such as the ones I am about to relate. Following these videos, I did approximately seven days of computer based learning (CBL) theoretical learning and some short quizzes following.

On Thursday August 4, 2016 was my first day being out of the back office and shadowing another CSM. This particular store is understaffed and I now know why. When watching the videos it shows rules and regulations however management and the corporation has found a way to skirt FLSA by using what they call meal exception and break exceptions, if an employee should have gone to lunch by 1 pm but has not been able to a member of management can push it back until 1:20 but if it goes beyond 1:29 it is considered an exception and they are breaking the rules so the CSM gets the "heat" even though they are poorly understaffed.

On the first day on the floor shadowing, the assistant manager (AM) Ms. ** and the CSM I was shadowing left me on the floor by myself, handed me the keys and there was no one around to help me. I was so flustered, due to the amount of customers and lack of staff that I left the keys in the cash drawer which had it been robbed I would have been responsible for, could have been arrested and had a record for the rest of my life which in turn would have ruined my career.

Upon return of the CSM I went and spoke with personnel (while heading back there the assistant manager and store manager were hanging out in the back laughing and joking while the rest of the employees were running around in circles) who called asset management into the office. Walmart states it has a safe open door policy. This is untrue! I explained to asset manager what the situation was and how this could affect my future. The next statement from the asset manager to myself and Mrs. ** was I should not have been given keys because I had not signed a release yet. He would speak with the assistant manager who was informed she was not supposed to go to the active shooter training. Further I would not be given keys until I was comfortable.

I also stated I did not have a walkie talkie to call someone for help in the front. Asset management stated he currently did not have any but he had ordered them. By the time I walked out of the personnel office the whole store knew what had just been discussed even though there were only 3 of us there. On my second day being August 5,2016 I shadowed a CSM that is amazing, walking me through step by step. I felt confident and comfortable.

Approximately 3:15 or so the CSM helped me to check my schedule for the upcoming week. I had just worked 5 straight days 9-5 and was under the assumption that my schedule would start for Monday. I was mistaken! I was further informed employees work 9 hour shifts not 8, so although you get a 1 hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks the employee is still working over 8 hours and not being paid overtime. The schedule showed I was working Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th 7 am-4 pm respectively as CSM alone. The CSM on duty instructed me to speak with personnel and take my last break at the same time.

Ms. ** was in personnel on this day. I went in to voice my concern regarding what I had just been informed of. The store manager "who I might add can always be found sitting in the office that is occupied by store manager, on Facebook and not speaking with any staff other than certain managers" walks into the personnel office and I again voice my concerns and repeat what I was informed of about signing a key release. Store manager who I will refer to as SM going forward states "I have never heard of that".

Further I state "I have just worked 5 days in a row". SM looks at Ms. ** and says "who's on the schedule for tomorrow?" Ms. ** looks and says CSM so and so who is actually a ZSM or such will be in at 8. SM turns on me and says "ZSM will be here at 8 am. Can you be here for 1 hour alone? (with an attitude)." I informed SM about the keys again and Ms. ** says "SM is the manager and SM is over asset manager and SM says you can." SM then said "I ASKED YOU A QUESTION. CAN YOU BE HERE FOR AN HOUR ALONE?"

At that point I turned and looked at SM and kind of gave her the excuse me look. Also previously I informed Ms. ** I am hard of hearing and I know some sign language. I never disclosed this information beyond that other than to CSM training me on the day of the incident and in some cases when I become upset I sign while speaking. Also I am from New York city. Sum and total I speak with my hands. The SM became visibly nervous seeing my hands so I conceded at that point, however Ms. ** was sitting there with a grin that reminded of the Cheshire cat. The SM walked out of the personnel office, walked into her office next door and slammed the door. At that point I had seen all I wanted to and some of the business practices, ethics and principles of this billion dollar organization while preaching these things never actually putting them into practice.

It was at this point I looked at Ms. **, took my badge, vest and gave them back their handheld device and stated "I don't need this. I can go work in a prison". Inmates have less entitlement issues than some of the upper management at walmart. I then went to my locker which oddly was more than a foot over my head and I had to reach and squint to see the numbers on the padlock to open it. I only took my belongings, left all paperwork I had printed to do the job and walked to the front to collect my pocketbook. By the time I reached the front of the store the whole store already knew what had happened.

The assistant manager asked me to come and speak with her and I did however the fact the whole store already knew incited my outrage even further and I did say some things I shouldn't have said, however they were true. The SM was standing by the door of personnel snapping her head back and forth, like she was some little kid. Needless to say suddenly the SM's voice comes over the walkie talkie and CSM "insert name" is not coming back EVER - "meaning me"! At that point the AM I was speaking with before the statement was made over the walkie said "are you sure you don't want to go home and think about it". Then in the next breath she insulted me. When I heard what the entire store heard I said "that's your SM. Have fun. I won't be back". She says "well we thought by hiring older people for the front end!" She was still going on. I was out the door.

Walmart abuses their staff and takes liberties with lunches and breaks. They do not want a union to step in because if they did none of what goes on in these stores could or would go on. There are many people unlike myself who have to stay at walmart to pay their bills and support their children, sick parents and even themselves. Their gross negligence of the business practices, ethics, and principles are now the reason I understand Staten Island, N.Y. would never tolerate a store being placed in the borough. The only take away is their corporation will hire individuals with development disabilities; caution needs to be taken in these matters because just like with regular employee's time, breaks, lunch, and days off will be abused.

Complaints from Wal-Mart Employees Company Profile