1.41/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

810 Sam's Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Racist policy against Mexican Members - Several times now I have been in Sam's Club and picked up an item on sale. Each time when checking out, I was told that the sale prices only apply to U.S. members. If the company does not offer sale prices to all members, regardless of nationality or where their membership is, then it should be stated on every placard noting the price reduction and/or in the store entrance. One time when a sales price was not given to me, a member behind me allowed me to pay for my purchase using their card so I could take advantage of sale price. Sam's policy is racist and against members from the South. I asked about sale prices at COSTCO and was told the prices were for all members without regard to where their membership was registered.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I recently applied for a job with Sam's Club. I filled out their online application and then, following prompts from them, began calling them. I called them every other day for the better part of a month and was transferred from person to person who either didn't know how to help me or didn't care enough to help me. Lots of one word answers to questions or requests. All the phone calls would end by telling me that the person who I should talk to was not there that day. Finally, after a month, I call and the magic person that I've been looking for is there! She offers me an interview that day! All things are looking great, but then she calls me back an hour later and informs me that something on my application didn't meet their requirements.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, I guess I just wasn't set for the job. However, there is something very wrong with the fact that they could have told me this the very first time I called, not a whole month later. As well, they wouldn't tell me what was wrong with my application, just repeatedly tell me that it didn't fit what they were looking for. Once again, lots of one word responses and obvious impatience with my call. I came out of this experience feeling disrespected, hurt, and with a disgusted feeling towards a company that would act in such an unprofessional manner.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Terrible. Order it for Valentine’s Day delivery and also asked for it to deliver in the morning but no flowers yet by FedEx at 4:35 pm as I’m writing this. Called Sam's Club about it and the lady had the nerve to tell me delivery driver has till 11pm to deliver. Now who in the right mind need flowers at 11pm where I ordered this 2 weeks ahead. Called FedEx to asked if the truck was equipped to deliver flowers this late because tracking showed out for delivery at 8:23am and now it’s 4:40pm and no flowers. I will never order and will advise others not to even take chance. Go to Target and pick up some decent flowers for your valentine.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I made an online purchase for a Queen Mattress and Boxspring and the day of the delivery I had the delivery driver call me asking for directions as he could not find my house. I gave him the directions and we ended the call. A few minutes later he called again. Could not find it so started to cuss and swear at me, I simply said, "Hey, I am not your dispatcher. Call them and don't cuss or swear at me." He finally found the house and came to the door to tell me that he couldn't get close enough to the door so he wasn't going to carry in my ordered product. I 6 months PREGNANT carried in the box spring by myself and helped him with the mattress. I was never dissatisfied with services in my life. He had a "I don't care" attitude and even gave me a dirty look as he had to help me carry in my mattress. WORST SERVICE EVER. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM SAM'S CLUB AGAIN, JUST SAD I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER SINCE 2000.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Just when I thought "Customer Service" had become a catchphrase in the service industry. I found out how wrong I was to be so cynical. My problem began online. I was trying to send some diapers to a single mom in Florida. I live in Indiana. I navigated Sam's Club website and found the product I was looking for. While checking out I could not complete the process because our Zip code didn't match (my credit card) that of the receiver.

Frustrated I drove to the local store in Carmel Indiana for help. I went to customer service and asked if they could ship the diapers for me. An older lady explained they could not do that there. I explained my dilemma and why I needed the help. Up popped Krys, an attractive young lady with a big smile. She explained that she was "Customer Service" and would try and help me. Help she did. Turning her computer screen for me to sign into my account, she helped me get the job done. Always with a big smile and pleasant demeanor. Never once made me feel as I was interrupting her day. Whomever hired this young superstar should "Rear back and Strut". You made a great hire for this unit and Sam's as a corporation. I commend you and Krys. Well done Krys.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sam's Club?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchase a product online that was being shipped directly to my house. I noticed right away that my phone number was incorrect on my order. I tried to cancel the order and was told it was too late to cancel the order. I told them that I was going to reorder and correct the phone number. I called Sam's online 3 times to try to fix this. All I got was a bunch of promises and lies. The order has been in town for a week after finding the freight company. They said, "We’ve tried to contact you 3 times and haven’t been able to schedule delivery." I told them that Sam's promised me this matter was resolved. I’ll never deal with these people ever again!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We used to frequently purchase several 4# bags of Member's Mark Mountain Trek Mix. A few months ago, they discontinued the product, at least it was not available in stores or by mail order. Just recently, they reintroduced the product with the same name and same general packaging, same size, etc. The new product is not remotely like the old. It is now largely a big bag of peanuts with a small amount of other stuff thrown in. I now buy all my trail mix at Costco which is offers high quality trail mix.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Someone hacked my Sam’s Club account and charged $286.20 in January. The order shipped to ** Morristown, NJ - I don’t know anyone in the state of NJ. I called my bank when the charges showed and told them of the fraud and they canceled my card. I then called Sam’s Club and told them what happened. They transferred me to a supervisor and she said she would turn the fraud in. Two days later Sam’s sent me an email and said since the order had shipped they couldn’t do anything about the charges. I called back a few days later and after a very concerned cust svc rep assured me that this was not acceptable she transferred me to a supervisor and then came back telling me the supervisor had refused my call but she would send them a message and they would call me back. That was last Tuesday - 7 days ago and I still haven’t heard from them. When I signed into my Sam’s Club account the order showed up.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

From Feb. 2017 to Feb of 2018, I was a member of Sam's Club and, as well, had a Sam's Club credit card through Synchrony Bank. Because our nearest Sam's Club is 40 miles away, I did not renew my Sam's Club membership in Feb. of 2018. At that time, I called Synchrony Bank to cancel my card but, surprisingly, was told that I could continue to accrue benefits from the card's rewards program and spend my earned rewards once a year at a Sam's Club as a non-Sam's Club member. I continued to use the card and accrue benefits thereafter. I relied on information given to me by an agent of the rewards program.

In January of 2019, I received a postcard from Sam's Club informing me that, in Feb. 2019, I would receive no rewards for my prior year's use of the card unless I was a member of Sam's Club. I protested this change, made so close to the end of annual reward accrual period. I contacted the Chairman of Sam's Club, John Furner. Mr. Furner did not respond to my emails personally, but a customer service person from Synchrony Bank called me in his stead. This service lady, Carla, was most polite but was insistent that I would receive nothing.

She understood that I had relied on good information the prior February, but the program had changed in December of 2018 and now required all recipients of rewards to be current Sam's Club members. Carla understood the seeming unfairness of changing the rules so late in the program's year, but the company was entitled to do so. I admitted the company could do whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. But fairness and equity had been violated for those effect in the 2018-19 year with such a harsh rule change. The change should have been made effective for years going forward from February of 2019. Because of the change, I lost $175 of accumulated rewards for 2018-19 and have become a very harsh critic of Sam's Club policy.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Due to cold weather in Michigan, I needed to replace two car batteries in two vehicles. I searched the internet for something cheap and found Sam's Club had the best price so I ordered two batteries on 2/1 (Fri). It saved me $100 compared to other stores. The online order indicated I could pick up the batteries on 2/3 (Sun). While I was not happy waiting two days, I decided we could go two days without our vehicles to save $100. It was the weekend so the impact was not as bad as it would be on a weekday. Late on 2/2 (Sat), I received an email that my order had been canceled due to items not being in stock. Other stores were closed so there was nothing I could do until Sunday. I suspect the batteries were in stock when I ordered on Friday, but by the time the employee at the Canton store went to pull my items off the shelf somebody else had come into the store and purchased.

In my humble opinion Sam's Club should not sell something they do not have in stock and waste two days before letting the customer know it is no longer in stock. In most cases like clothing it is probably a minor inconvenience, but in my case we went two days without a vehicle. I love shopping at the store, but will absolutely never order anything online from the Canton store again. I think Sam's Club needs to fix this broken online order system. I did complain, but got a standard Dear John email from April ** explaining how popular my items are making it difficult to keep in stock. While I accept her apology, it does not change the fact that Sam's Club should not sell something online that they cannot deliver. I advise other customers to consider other retailers who have more reputable online ordering system. I ended up going to another retailer. I paid more, but my items were ready to be picked up in 30 minutes. In hindsight, I wish I had just done this on Friday!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I am not a Sam’s Club member. BUT. My mother in law bought some things for my kids that I had no use for so she advised that I return the items to Sam’s for a store credit. I went to Sam’s Club store 6217 in Miami Florida. I walked into the store and over to Member services to wait for assistance. I was helped by Carmen who I explained my situation to and Carmen told me I needed the physical membership card in order to complete the return. Which I didn’t have. I went to leave, but was met by Gloria at the exit asking for my receipt. I told her I just left the Member services counter to speak with Carmen. Gloria goes over to Carmen. Communicates to her in a language foreign to me. Gloria tells me to wait. I asked for a manager. And was met by Leo. Who has no customer services skills at all.

Leo tells me that because my items were not marked upon entry he would need to review the security footage to ensure I was not stealing these items. I waited over 10 minutes for Leo. He came back, said it was ok for me to go but after spending an hour in his store I asked if he could return the items since I was inconvenience by his store employees. See. Angela should have been standing at the entrance to greet when I first entered the store so she could mark the items in cart with a green sticker for return. Angela was not standing in the entrance to greet me when I first entered the store. In fact no one was standing at the entrance when I came into the store. So basically I was treated like a criminal and was not give the store's return policy because I am not a member and it is included in the memberships packet. I will be contacting my attorney and local news stations.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Sam's Club in O'Fallon IL is usually a great place to go - my parents have been members there for many years & I occasionally go with them. However, around a month before Xmas my mother purchased 2 $25 gift cards for Smokey Bones. Her receipt showed the cards were loaded. Her card was charged. In reality the cards were never loaded. We went to use the cards at the designated restaurant & they were completely empty. Talk about disappointing. The blow that they were empty was made worse when my mother went to Sam's to rectify the situation & the associate helping her did not even apologize. While it may not have been their fault directly for the lack of money being placed on the card, every associate represents Sam's. So to not even get a simple "I'm sorry" was mind blowing. Very disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We are a business that secured a membership last year, and are very disappointed with Sam's Club online ordering system! Shockingly, over 75% of our orders are not delivered on time or are wrong! Shockingly, Sam's Club never follows up! Shockingly, we have to chase them down to find out what happened to our order, or initiate a change/Cancellation. We order every month, so can you imagine how many orders are wrong! If you are a business, or need reliable subscription service, do not order from Sam's Club. If I could give negative stars, I would. Sam's Club needs to hire Amazon's executives and learn from them!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This is "hands downs" without a doubt the VERY worst experience I have ever had shopping with anyone. The first issue began when there was little to no communication from Sam's Club once I purchased the hot tub. I purchased this hot tub on November 24th of 2018 and to this day, I still do not have my hot tub. Then Sam's Club did a funds verification against my checking account in the amount of $6,403.93 after 5 days still had not withdrawn the funds and the bank returned the pending charge back into the account. After many attempts to speak with Sam's on this matter, on Jan. 4th, 2019 they placed a charge of $12,807.86 against my checking account and withdrew the funds.

This caused all sorts of issues with my account, including... A checking line of credit loan being automatically advanced to me to cover the charges, my bank taking the remaining funds from my savings account to try and help offset the deficit, and last but certainly not least, all this still left my account in an "overdrawn" status. I made numerous phone calls to Sam's to try to get them to credit back my account the additional $6,403.93 that they took from me in error. All I got was a "run around", complete with several customer service reps telling me they never removed that money from my account. I sent a copy of my checking account statement into Sam's Club, it clearly showed the $12,807.86 withdrawal and that it was Sam's Club who entered the charge.

I had to go back to my bank, Navy Federal Credit Union and file a dispute against the charge, which in turn freezes my checking account for 10 days while they complete their investigation because of the negative balance. Sam's Club offered NO assistance at all. I also sent my bank a copy of the original receipt of the hot tub purchase along with the documented chat and phone conversations that I have had with Sam's Club on this matter. As I stated in the opening lines here, I still do NOT have my hot tub, it has been sitting at the freight companies warehouse in Knightdale, NC since Jan 2nd with no communication from them as to when it might be delivered.

I have to say, I shop and work online everyday, as I work for Google, but this experience is and has been nothing but ridiculous. Considering the amount of business that Sam's Club does with consumers they should absolutely have a better process in place for dealing with 3rd party suppliers such as hot tub vendors and their means of shipping them, Sam's Club has left me, the consumer, "holding the bag". Sam's Club has made no effort what-so-ever to make this right on their part? I am going to make every effort to make sure that everyone online is aware of what to expect from Sam's Club when they make such a purchase from them, using all the resources available to me to make it as public as possible.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This is the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! And I use the term "customer service" VERY lightly because they do NOT know how to service their customers! I ordered $1,200 worth of items. They send me a shipping email for part of the order, fine and great. They send me another shipping email for the remaining items, fine and great. I go to track it and it reads that it's been received by FedEx AND that the order was cancelled by the sender. What? I got on and chatted. They had no answers.

They said they'd send an email. I got an email saying they couldn't read the chat and to call. I called, they didn't answer my question about what IF ANYTHING had been cancelled. 45 minutes later and three calls later AND after being HUNG UP ON because she didn't want to deal with me. Called back and talked to nothing but utterly and 100% INCOMPETENT PEOPLE! They are wanting to call FEDEX to find out why the store cancelled? WTH? Why would FedEx know the reason that Sam's Club canceled my order? Seriously? NEVER EVER. NEVER. NO. NOT EVER DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN EVER!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I just want to let everyone know how Sam's Club treats its customers. On Dec 7 my wife and I was walking in the Beaver Creek store when she slipped on black ice in the parking lot. Went to the hospital for treatment because she had a huge knot on her forehead and a gash. Both eyes were black and blue and she looked like she was beaten. Me and another lady went out and took pictures on the ice while they were waiting for the bus to come and get her.

I was shaking so much that I let another lady that worked there write down what happened. Instead of writing down what I told her she added her own words that ended up being water instead of ice. Now Sam's Club called the other day and said that they are not liable for what happened and will not pay the medical bills. These SOB don't care about anything but the money we spend there. So watch what you do and if anything happens like this just make sure you document everything that happens. Instead of doing the right thing these money hungry people lie and do anything to get out of doing the right thing! Our lawyer will fight them now and we no longer shop at Sam's Club!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered two swivel chairs, and they arrived with a bent swivel piece. This caused the chair to rock back and forth in a pretty dangerous fashion. Sam's Club agreed to return them by having FedEx come pick them up from my house. I scheduled this using their online chat service. I was told that the delivery truck would arrive the next day during a specified time window. The driver never arrived. Fast forward a week later, this has happened four more times. Every time I get a customer service representative who gives me stock responses like "we can really help you with that" but no one provides any helpful information. The whole experience has been time consuming and frustrating. I will keep shopping at Costco.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I should have listened to the bad reviews, but I figured that I am savvy enough to activate a Sam's Club gift card without having a stroke. I was wrong! I ordered a "gift of membership" card for my mother. It's essentially a $45 gift card to Sam's Club. Before you can use the card, it has to be activated through samsclub.com. They cannot do it at the club.

After many, many attempts online, I finally did a live chat with a CSR. In broken English, they said they would sent the complaint to the appropriate team and they'd get back to me in 48 hours. I was in the store, so this was frustrating. I received the follow-up email within the 48 hours and was told the card was good to go. I went back to the store the next day and, of course, the card still didn't work. I chatted with someone online and they, again, said they'd forward the complaint to the appropriate department and that I should expect to hear back within 72 hours. I called customer service and held for 42 minutes. A young man took my call and was zero help. He just said, "I think you should just wait, but I can't guarantee it will work". So I asked if he'd just cancel my order altogether. He said he can't cancel it because the CARD IS ACTIVE. But it's not. Super frustrating. Avoid Sam's Club at all costs. It's not worth your time.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We purchased some frozen lobsters at Sam's as we have done for years. Defrosted and cut through the shell and lifted up and slit for marinading... INTENSE smell of ammonia=rotten lobster. I believe they had already started to decompose before they were frozen to be sold at Sam's. I’ve also read similar experiences from other people who’ve bought them. It’s an unreliable source sounds like. Reflecting very badly on Sam's Club. Also saw a worm in a piece of Salmon there. We lost $37.59 on 2 lobsters... both rotten. I’m glad my nose picked it up. We are seriously considering canceling our membership. Disappointing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Synchrony Bank, which Sam's Club unfortunately has selected for all their credit cards. I previously had a Sam's Discover card, but it suddenly became a Sam's Club Mastercard, all without any credit check. The problems started when my wife died, and our Sam's Club membership had somehow been changed into her name. I had a credit card on that account for years prior to her passing, and always paid in full on time each month. Synchrony immediately closed the account, which I understand, but refused to issue me a card without applying for a new account, which I also understand.

Unfortunately this required thawing my frozen credit (to reduce risk of credit theft) so they could do a credit check, which I also understand. I have done this with other banks and credit card companies including Chase, Discover, Capital One, First National Bank of Omaha, and other institutions by thawing the credit (for a fee of course) for the credit bureau they use and supplying them with an access code so they could check my credit. Synchrony insisted that I thaw my credit with all three credit bureaus with access to anyone for a month since they did not know how to use the access code I provided them. I finally re-applied when I had it thawed for another purpose, and was accepted since I have excellent credit.

Next they entered the wrong birth-date for me in their system and would not allow me to change it without mailing them a photo ID. They now refuse to allow me to edit my online information since my phone number is a VOIP phone, which it has been for the past 11 years, and they do not recognize my computer which I have been using for the past 7 years to log onto their website. They refuse to send their access code to either my cell phone or home phone (VOIP) and insist that I cannot update my user profile until they mail me a letter in 10 working days. They also switched me from e-mail statements to regular mail statements a few months ago without my request, and will not allow me to restore that.

Today I noticed my credit card was cracked and called to get a new one issued. It took over 15 minutes to get a real person on the phone since their voice mail system does not include requesting a new card or talking to a real person, and they could not verify my account due to the wrong birth-date they had entered. I was eventually able to get a new card sent, and they claimed they had sent one 2 months ago, which I never received. Their customer service is horrible, and they don't seem to care. I suggest you avoid Synchrony Bank if possible, and like me, request Sam's Club to change banks.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

For the one day only sale on 12/15 which started at 12:01A, I was online well before 12:00 and had the sale item I wanted in my shopping cart. I attempted to pay at 12:01 and was told item was out of stock. Customer service was no help - just kept telling me they "understood" but could do nothing.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I applied for a Sam's Club Membership in 2015. I paid them the $150 fee for a plus membership. As the primary account holder, they said I could put someone else on my account as an authorized shopper, so I put one of my daughters down. Fast forward to 12/22/18. My daughter was in Sam's shopping, so they offered her to apply for a Sam's Credit Card and she would get half off of the Prime Rib which was $90, so she agreed. She was approved and they issued her the card and half off as promised.

But what they did next was OUTRAGEOUS. They made her the primary person on my account, disabled my card and told her, I would have to come into the store to get another shopper's card under her name. It was only when I went to log onto my Sam's account to order something on 12/23/18 did I realize I was locked out of my own account. Who does that? Her applying for a credit card should not have affected my account in any way. I opened that account, signed the agreement and paid them my money. They removed me as the primary person and made my authorized shopper the primary person without my knowledge or consent. Seriously??? I am in the process of seeking legal action for damages.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Please save yourself the heartache of ordering from Sam's Club online! I ordered furniture and paid extra for “delivery". It wasn’t explained that they literally meant they were dropping it in my garage. Next get boxes and guess what? Wrong furniture! I call and explain. Get an email! (Paper proof) that my refund would be in account within 48 hours! That’s still yet to happen...a week later and all I hear when I call is...”give it another 48 hours." They clearly don’t understand - they left me with no furniture for the holidays so I had to go out and buy ASAP so that money that I thought was going be back in 48 hours is much needed! Also! I am yet to get an Email stating when they are picking this furniture back up out of my garage! (Excuses is all I get on that one). "Oh no one ever sent the Email to them for pick up.” So week later here I am, no refund, no furniture, and no way to park in garage due to boxes and yet no answers!!! Worst experience in my life!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Love the whole store. Always clean and the staff is always helpful. Not crazy about the lack of vegan foods but I can always hope for new choices in the new year. I have never had a bad item from them.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I love shopping at Sam's. The clothing is named brand and very reasonable. The meat selection is great. Paper products, wonderful, beer, wine and alcohol selections always meet my needs. I could just go on and on about why I love shopping at Sam's!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Sam's Club offered a promotion in Oct that if you purchased 50 online you would get a 10 a certificate on Dec 15. That came and went. Contacted customer service Dec 15 and followed up every day...never he heard back on the 3 tickets that they entered. Terrible customer service. No update on when I will get it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

The quality and assortment of products is excellent. We buy all our bulk items and paper products from Sam's and utilize their free shipping for Plus members frequently. Love the convenience. We also find the quality of their meat and produce to be excellent.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I used the website for the one day November sale. Never again! It took until 2AM to get 2 packs of iTunes gift cards. THEN, the order was delivered via FedEx in an unsealed envelope, with no cards. Even if you dispute the transaction, SAM's provides a printout showing the order was "delivered". I have filed a police report, spent hours providing documentation, and still don't have final resolution. Word of advice: Don't order anything online. Get it in store where you have hands on or not at all!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

You need more customer service help...cashier helper... Moves the check out faster. The food court line is a joke. Cashier takes order then get product (too few cashier). Why not have runners for product, this would create faster turnover and more REVENUE. During their off period they could clean up. Nothing looks more unappetizing then dirty food areas.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Sam's is using bad shipper that has lied over and over in order to cover their inability to make a delivery, I mean not a late delivery but a delivery period. Unbelievable as it sounds Sam's Club customer help could do anything to fix the situation and $2,500 TV could not be delivered in any of the three previous delivery dates and as of now no one knows when it will be delivered. Now I see why all my friends are using AMAZON and not Sam's. From now on, I will recommend the same to everybody else, and tell them to stay away from Sam's.

Sam's Club Company Information