1.58/5

121 Salvation Army Thrift Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Horrible. Was told pick up was completed no so no phone call to reschedule. I was given the pass the buck routine and given wrong phone numbers to dispatch supervisors. Had to cancel out my new furniture delivery till I can locate someone to take out my un-needed items which were in good condition. They act is if they are doing you a favor. You are who are donating usable items are doing good to help someone less fortunate. Terrible organization. Will never deal in any way with them again. Now my wanted to donate items are on the street. DO NOT USE SALVATION ARMY FOR ANYTHING.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have donated THOUSANDS to the Salvation Army. Additionally, I have spent countless money per year in the Manassas Virginia Thrift Store. Recently I had a dispute with the cashier who lied about an exchange that did not happen... The manager (Gigi) of whom they have had numerous complaints set me up to appear that I made threats, cursed, and demeaned an employee. Unfortunately when they are filming you in their store they do not have audio as I asked them to play the audio to reveal the truth. As a background, I'm an interior designer professionally, a law-abiding citizen, and my husband is a director for the CIA. I let them know I would contact corporate and when that happened that's when the lies were revealed.

Several months later I returned to the store quietly and with a witness and proceeded to shop and as I checked out Gigi came up to me and brought security demanding that I leave. She also made sure to keep her face hidden from any cameras so they could not see her Exchange as the verbiage was inappropriate. Fortunately, I was able to have my phone camera on unbeknownst to her as I set that in motion prior to walking into the store. I know this sounds very crazy and it is! I plan to make this situation go public as I feel certain this has happened to many.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

What happened? We have been donating at this center on Adamo Dr in Brandon for years...actually decades and the last time, we were insulted and even yelled at. We came and parked at the ramp to drop 2 bags and we did not go up the ramp because we have a long hitch on our minivan and it would scrape. There was no one in back of us and it would have taken 30 seconds. OH NO! The attendant yelled at us calling us an expletive and the client before us also yelled about us "blocking the driveway". Again, NO ONE IN BACK OF US...HELLO!

So, to Goodwill we went and will continue to go there. So what was it? My hair length or style, the color of our van? I wear glasses?. I'm shorter than the attendant? Maybe a sign should be posted "Rude Treatment May Be Administered At Any Time". Hmmm maybe this employee can only work at Salvation Army because of his attitude. So, thank you so much for allowing us to donate our seemingly worthless items and even money for all these years until now. Unfortunately I realize that I am not worthy to drop off my items at the Salvation Army Brandon...

Original review: April 11, 2019

I explained exactly what I had to donate in detail to the lady on the phone. She also ask for my phone number 3 times. The guys came and told me my phone number was wrong. Then they stated half the stuff they could not take. Geez, the lady on the phone needs more education for her job. This was a horrible mess. I'll start donating elsewhere!

Original review: April 1, 2019

I decided to drop off some books to the Salvation Army in Bend Oregon. I found the place alright, no problems there. When I got there and tried to drop off the books, only had contact with one person (The boss), there were no signs to tell you where to drop off the stuff, no people around. I tried banging on doors, got nothing. Buildings looked deserted. In the end I gave up on the Salvation Army and gave the books to Goodwill, they have a FAR superior system for dealing with donations. Even La Pine St. Vincent De Paul is better than the Salvation Army donation area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

Original review: March 30, 2019

Scheduled a pick up online. Website says they take mattresses. Received a call two weeks later saying they don't take mattresses. Okay, disappointing, but I had plenty of other furniture items to donate. Received confirmation call the day before. I hired someone to help me move all of the furniture to the curb the night before. Day of scheduled pick up, received a call that they had to cancel. I implored them to reconsider and, thanks to the kind gentleman on the phone, they said they would come by. Truck pulls up and leaves 30 seconds later, leaving all the furniture. Called Salvation Army and was told furniture condition was too poor for their thrift stores!! Ridiculous! The furniture is in very good condition. No tears, no stains. They just didn't want to do their job.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We submitted an online request for pick up of a couch, TV stand and 3 boxes of clothes. It was a simple process to fill the form. And on the day of pick up we received an email confirmation that they would come between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm to pick up the stuff. They arrived by 10.30 am, two men came and did the job. They were very professional and helpful. And they also gave the receipt for donation. I appreciate their service and would recommend them to my other friends too. We live in an apartment in the second floor and had mentioned the same while submitting the online form. So they had no issues in picking up from the doorstep. Overall my experience was great.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I scheduled a pickup of a leather recliner and sofa. I left a note, as instructed by the SA website labeling them "SA". I wasn't home for the pickup but left the items, as instructed, on my front porch. Nothing got picked up. I called to find out why? Nobody could give me a reason. I rescheduled another pickup. This time I dragged the recliner out to the curb, left another note stating: "please pick up couch on front porch". Again, nothing was picked up, no explanation. I called 800 number both times, nobody can tell me why nothing was picked up. Chair is a little rickety, but a nice leather recliner. Couch is in perfect condition, most comfortable couch I've ever owned, just trying to give to charity, but apparently they don't want it.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had some really nice couches that I wanted to give away and I was excited because I thought I would be benefiting someone in need but they came and looked at the couches and said they couldn’t take them due to a small scratch. I mean it was a very small scratch and not even that but the Millie’s covered it. They literally came by for 1 minute took a picture and walked out. I thought it was the rudest thing. This was my first time trying to donate to the Salvation Army and I do not recommend them to anyone. I don’t know if they expected something super extravagant but the couches weren’t bad at all and I am sure there is a family in real need. My feelings were hurt!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I had purchased a few pairs of jeans not even a hour prior. Now mind you I haven't shopped here much due to Goodwill is priced better but I do donate often to the Cross Lanes WV location. Well I went straight back to see where a pair of Jeans that I had bought was too small. If I could just exchange for a pair of Jeans that would fit, didn't want a refund at all. And seeing that I had just purchased them and tags was still on the along with the receipt it would be a problem. All they would of had to do was hang them up. No difference.

Well when I asked, the lady yelled for the one in charge to check and she yells "no refunds, no exchanges!" Didn't even come in view to explain to me. Now I have a $5 pair of Jeans that I have no use for. I haven't heard very good thing about here is why I haven't been a big shopper but now I know why. Yes I wasn't a steady shopper, but I was a one that donated frequently but you just lost that. My donations will now go to Goodwill. Everything in that store is a donation so to be greedy when I donate and spend money, well that doesn't say much for your organization!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I scheduled a donation pickup for a piece of furniture last month (2/12). I got a phone call from the office saying that they don’t accept that kind of furniture. Thinking there was a mistake I tried again only to be rescheduled approximately a month later. This time I received some sort of confirmation that my schedule pick up would occur (3/5). I didn’t even get a timeframe as to when they would come by. (My previous scheduling pickup was there but it was cancelled. I assure you, it was not by my hand.) When I checked the status of my ticket, it had been changed from “Scheduled” to “Completed.” No one even came by. Yes, I made a mistake, alright, thinking this company was going to be helpful. But at least I didn’t pay for their pickup services.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I didn't used to be big supporter of thrift stores, but...as I learned about fact that SA does truly help people (employment, shelter, help to get back on track to people who battle addictions, single mothers and so), I once wandered in their store out of curiosity. Not just employees are hardworking, helpful, professional, polite, but even managers are just extraordinary. Seen people arguing, or trying to weasel around, and employees politely and assertively handling situations, once some stranger asked me to translate for her while talking to the store manager, and that lady the stranger was little out of reality (the request she made). The manager handled the situation extremely well. I was surprised. It just become my regular to browse through stuff, and shop for things even I give them away, just because it's nice place filled with hope and nice idea.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I scheduled a pick up for a couch and to be honest I was nervous because of all the bad reviews I read re pick ups but they arrived within time frame given and were very professional. They were careful moving the couch and fast.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I made an appointment to have a few items of furniture picked up for donation. I made the appointment a month in advance, and when it got closer to the date I called for a pickup window. I was told the window was 8:30-3:30, but I could call the day of for a more exact time. The morning of my pickup, I tried several times to call but no one answered the phones. When I finally got through to someone, she told me there had been a discrepancy and they were working on getting a truck for the pickup and I should call back in an hour for a timeline. I asked if the pickup would still happen that day, and was told yes. When I called back an hour later, I was told the pickup would be between 2-3:30.

At 3:35 I received a call saying they couldn't do the pickup that day because they were running behind, but could come the next day. I told them I was moving the next day so they ended up coming the original day. However, when they arrived they were very rude. They told me I had to move a bunch of things around to get the couch out the door (which I was happy to do) while they brought the first donations down to the truck. When they came back up, they said they couldn't take the couch because they claimed it was too dirty, even though it's in great condition and I had vacuumed and cleaned it that morning.

I don't understand why they couldn't have told me that originally when they came in before I moved everything around for them, as obviously nothing about the condition of the couch had changed during the time they came back. I also thought it was unnecessary for them to be so rude to me, and couldn't offer any solutions of what I could do to get rid of the couch if they wouldn't take it. I was never even offered a tax deduction form for the stuff they had taken. I can tell you I won't be donating anything else to them, as this whole experience was incredibly frustrating. It shouldn't be hard to get someone on the phone to answer a simple question, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that people be somewhat polite when you're making a donation.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a bad experience for furniture pickup. I spent quite a bit of time online filling out a detailed form. Then I got a call message with misinformation about the date of pickup and an unclear return phone number. When I finally got hold of them, they asked me the same questions I answered on form and told me they could only pick up desks that were solid real wood and would not take a platform bed. These were very good pieces of furniture that would be useful to someone. I am downsizing or would keep them myself. The reps were also quite unfriendly and rude. I used to support this organization and had good experiences in past but they have really changed. They no longer seem to be community oriented, more interested in making money and not serving people in need is my impression.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Visited a location near zip 10475 in Mt Vernon NY. The price of a cotton short jacket was $80.00 USD. I believe the short jacket was worth 8 to 10 USD but the price was on this item for $80.00. I could not believe my eyes or the salesperson words.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I recently shopped at Honesdale, PA Salvation Army Thrift Store. The employees are very rude, mean, disrespectful and the biggest thieves. I've seen employees taking donations immediately to their cars the minute a flat screen TV is donated or a computer. The employees there are on it not even making it into the stores. They never help with emergency housing or emergency utilities. They claim to not have funds. But at the stores there prices are crazy high. You can buy brand new for a few more dollars online or in store. I think they should be investigated and closed down. Salvation Army are the biggest thieves...

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Scheduled a pick up to donate multiple items from my house. The staff were very rude, arrogant, and uncooperative. They left my furniture on footpath and drove off in threatening manner. I was shock and frightened. I asked them nicely, "Please if can't take my furniture could you please put back inside the house where you pick." They became aggressive and refused to do this after. Due to rain my furniture got damage. I have very bad experience with Salvation Army staff. I will never donate to them again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I called the Salvation Army beginning of 2018 season and told them that ringers are hanging tip bags for themselves next to the donation kettle. They said the ringers are not suppose to do this and will look into it. They are still asking for tips!! In all my adult life, this is the 1st time I've seen this! My husband and I usually give $100 each year but will not anymore.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I visited the Salvation Army located at 8715 Brentwood Street in Maryland. The manager, **, was again rude, threatening and intimidating. Today he told me, "I may not let you in this store again." I did nothing but speak to him about an item pricing. The item was marked $2. There were three stickers on the item. ** wanted to charge me $6.99. I said no. You can keep it. He at that point became belligerent. He said “you’re pushing it.” He, stood there, hovering about the front counter, watching my every movement and he frightened me. I asked him why he did that when shoppers were stuffing items into their personal bags.

Then, a shopper behind me gave him twenty dollars. She told him it was for his lunch. He pocketed the money. The shopper had items in a bag that they did not go through. I figured she was giving him the money so he wouldn’t check her things. This lady had, in her cart, approximately several hundred dollars worth of merchandise. Her cart was full. Yet, she was bagged, charged and out of the store in less than a minute. He continually said it was his store and he could do whatever he wanted. I don’t think he did this for any other reason but to show he could wield power. I have never been treated by any manager, anywhere, with such total disdain. I told him I would report his behavior and he spelled out his name to me. Very disrespectful, mean and childish. I would appreciate a response from you.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Scheduled a pickup and they cancelled it the day they were to arrive... "They overbooked". Re-scheduled only to find that they once again were a no show. Never again, Goodwill, though a for profit business, will get my donations.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

After being homeless for six month I got a apartment and Salvation Army helped me. I got vouchers for a sofa, two beds, drawers and kitchen table and chairs. I also got some plates and forks and things and a toaster. They helped me very much and were always very very nice even when my little girl was with me and crying.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I'm a Latin woman who felt discriminated by a ** women at the Salvation Army in Middle Village New York. I am a active supporter of this organization, because of my job, I spend a lot of time shopping for me and my family at that specific store. On Monday 10/29/2018 I was shopping like I always do, there was one my without any pricing for which I asked the manager on duty. She was very polite and priced the item for me and told me to tell the cashier. When I proceeded to pay, I try telling the cashier what the manager told me and she responded nasty, telling me that nobody will tell her how to do her job and to go away if I don't like it. I was so confused because there was no need for her to get like that. I felt she doesn't like Latin people, If so what is she doing there???

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Wanted to donate a couch, double bed and upholstered chair to the Salvation Army. The couch was a three piece sectional that had been in my living room virtually unused. The bed was a complete mattress and box spring that had been used once and the chair was perfect. The couch had no stains or tears but probably needed to be cleaned. After I spent the morning moving all the items out to the driveway to make it easier for them, they decided that none of those items were good enough for them. I had been using them in my house - the only reason I was donating them was because I was downsizing and didn't have room in my new place. I called Habitat for Humanity and they welcomed the donation and thanked me for helping them. The Salvation Army apparently doesn't want anything unless it's brand new. Will never donate to them again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

On Friday (10-21-18) approx. 4:00 pm est, I went over to the Jewelry counter (2nd time this has happened!) and I found an awesome necklace, only to find as I searched the glass case, the matching set of earrings were SEPARATE from necklace!! This also happened in the Spring 2018 with a bracelet & necklace. I confronted the manager (female), I said, "Why are y'all separating this Jewelry?" She indicated she was going home, but that they have their orders how to handle SA goods, said to talk with the assist. manager (male) taking over for her. She didn't leave!! However, DID partake in the belittlement of my integrity. I said, "SA gets this stuff for FREE and turn around only to separate items to make MORE $$... are you kidding me???" She then replied: "We are here for a good cause!" I said "What good cause... And just whose pockets are being fed good?!" Her eyebrows went up, as though to say eat it and then looked away.

I said, "It's a crying shame that SA is suppose to be here for indigent that can't afford to buy retail, only to find that y'all are making a killing off of FREE GOODS! This is CRIMINAL!" The foolish assist. Manager (young kid-guy) said "well if you don't like shopping here, you can always go somewhere else!" And when I had first approached him after she had told me he was now made an assistant manager I ACTUALLY CONGRATULATED THE IDIOT. I left them with the items as well as the top I was going to purchase and left. UNBELIEVABLY INDIGNANT CROOKS SA is. Sad day in America. God only knows what they're doing in other Countries to those folks!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have had to visit Salvation Army 3 times for assistance to be even listened to. I had issues being able to keep my car registered to complete my job seeking obligations. I was referred to Salvation Army by Salvation Army employment plus one week ago. I called to make an appointment but was told rudely that there was none available and I could not make one til they reopened at the end of the week, booking ahead is not permitted. I finally got an appointment on Friday. I was ignored on my arrival but after a long wait was interviewed.

The worker acted like she wanted to go home, she called there was no funds to help me with anything and suggested I see another agency 4 hours drive away or take out a loan (which I cannot pay). I called the other agency who sent me back to Salvation Army. Then again sent me away. On Monday I contacted my job agency and they sent me back to Salvation Army, it's now taken me a week to see anyone there. For 1 adult and 2 teens I was given some cereal and biscuits 2 onions, a few very small potatoes and that is supposed to be our meals for over a week.

I used to donated to Salvation Army but I refuse to now, when I see the price they charge in their thrift stores and yet they give next to nothing to the needy. I'm wondering where those funds are going and who exactly they are there to assist. The workers don't even pretend to care, they look like they don't even want to be there or talk to you. Sometimes, people just want to be listened to or have some advice but you won't receive it at Salvation Army.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I will NEVER donate to Salvation Army again! After waiting for weeks for their team to come pick up a beautiful, well maintained, 50 year old sideboard, SA refused to take the donation stating that the item didn't meet their standards! Everything was fine until I told the team that it was very heavy and to be careful. At that point, the man took out his phone and started taking pictures and called his supervisor. It was code for "I don't want to lift this item". The piece is so nice that I could easily sell it. And now I will. As my father always reminds me, "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED".

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've been going through some rough times. I'm out of work, can't get a good job and I need help financially. I have damage to my house (roof leaks) and broken water pipes. I contacted the Salvation Army and was turned down FLAT. I could use some help with utilities and they claimed that the nearest Salvation Army location was OUT of funds for that purpose! They told me to contact 211 for disaster relief. Been there, done that and didn't get help either. With the money they take in, you'd think they could offer SOME help??? I'll NEVER support the Salvation Army EVER!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The Salvation Army is the worst charity I have ever donated to. A friend had warned me. He said that him and his wife left expensive clothing in a donation. They realized it and went back within 15 minutes and were told "I'm sorry, they've been sold." 15 minutes. I was hardheaded and called them anyway. I had a beautiful dinette set and other items beautiful mirrors, clothing with tags still on, shoes never worn. They asked if I had a leaf for the dinette set so I asked them to leave. Find another charity to give your things to.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have a strong complaint about the staff at the Salvation Army. It was on 7/4/18 at 1:30 at 888 University Dr. Pembroke Pine FL. Cashier very rude. We had an item that had a different price and she accused me off changing the price which I did not. I told the manager to look at the camera and see that was the price that was on it. It was streamed embarrassing. I need someone to get to me an apology. Also, I was a regular customer which I will not be going to that store any longer. I'm very disappointed.

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Information