2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

4.0/5 (85 ratings)

About Salvation Army Thrift Stores

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

Original review: May 19, 2021

Immediate damp smell noticed upon entering, like a damp basement. Crumbling walls and around entry door, uneven floors, no mirrors, filthy bathroom. But the toilet was clean. Sink and room itself filthy and falling apart... The building is downright falling apart. Shameful. Will NEVER go back in there.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Since 2017, I have donated various items from clothing to books to furniture to the Tampa Florida Salvation Army. Scheduling pickups have been simple online, and everything always worked out as planned---someone would call me 30-minutes before pickup, and the drivers would not "overly" scrutinize my items. I understand some Salvation Army in various cities may have forgotten the meaning of charity, but in Tampa Florida, there seems to be practice of the original concept in every way. I'll always think of them first for donations.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Miami, Fl - The Salvation Army has become a greedy organization. They expect donated good to be perfect, though it's a thrift store! I showed up with a van full of furniture and household goods from my deceased parents' home and they rejected most of the furniture due to minor wear. Some of these were expensive pieces of furniture with a lot of usable life left. Any of those would have been perfect for anyone who needed a dining table, book shelf, side tables, tv stand, etc. They said they were unsellable, but that was absolutely not true. Who do they think they are? Nordstroms...?

If I had more time then I would have taken all of it to Goodwill who does appreciate such items. After years of donations to SA, I will never donate to Salvation Army again. The only ones being 'saved' there are their management with higher than deserved salaries gained from our donations. That's how they can now build those new million $ thrift stores. They have crossed the line! If I could rate less than 1 star I would.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I went to the Saugus location to drop off a glass front TV stand and was treated rudely from inception. From "you parked in the wrong place" to "we may not accept your stuff anyways", it was the last time I will be dealing with this company. After a quick glance at the furniture, they refused the donation saying it wasn't in sellable condition. Totally not true, but after the welcome I got, didn't bother to discuss any further and just left. It's a shame some family in need won't get this piece. It will be going in the trash this week. Maybe someone will grab it off the curb.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I was surprised to find banking, health and insurance information and other personal information left in the drawers of several items on the floor. Is anyone responsible for checking this? I took a picture.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I scheduled a donation to be picked up in front of my condo. I SPECIFICALLY left instructions to leave me a receipt for my taxes. Well, the 2 bags of clothes were picked up without leaving a receipt. I called Customer Service at the Salvation Army and was told they were on their way to pick up my donations. I told the rep that they already picked up my donation and I saw the truck drive away. She said that they hadn't made the pick up yet. I again told her they did, as I saw them drive away and put the donations in the truck. I was told that they would email me a receipt for my taxes. It has been 5 hours and still no receipt. Evidently, all the Salvation Army does is talk and does not pay attention to special instructions on their website! Will not donate to them again!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I schedule a pick up with the Salvation Army to pick up my sister's mattress ($399) I bought from Firm Mattress company. The mattress hasn't got much use because she was uncomfortable laying on it. All it had is a little stain caused by sweating. I have already washed it and is not unsanitary. I put the mattress on the porch and put the SA sign out on the railing. Well, I noticed that they didn't take the mattress so we made a call to find out why. They told us that it has stain in it. I couldn't believe it and am furious. What about all the homeless people who were out in the streets and they come in get clean and so on but they wouldn't take the mattress? Things wasn't they used to be years ago. That really stink.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

None of the instructions I gave in the online donation form were followed. There was no notice before their arrival in the morning even though I was called days before and told that they are supposed to call before they arrive. The couch I was donating is in excellent condition but needed a vacuuming prior to pick up. Because they did not follow any of the instructions that I put in the request or their own instructions I did not have time to do this quick vacuum and then they did not pick up the product. They also knocked on the front door of home which I specifically had asked them not to do in the instructions by stating "knock on back door." I would not recommend this service to anyone. It is a waste of time. Anything you ask will be ignored. And they do not do what they say.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Awful! We are moving and I scheduled a donation pickup one month before the scheduled pickup date. The day of pickup they called and cancelled. Made arrangements to pickup next day. On that day, they called and cancelled again. Awful Awful Awful. Not donating to this organization ever again! Awful unempathetic people! I had to give them a star so I pushed one BUT if the option could have been ZERO, that’s what I would have pushed!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

So I had SA come to pick up a number of pieces of furniture and they deemed some of them to be too "used" to accept. I understand that as they are planning to resell the items and it may not be successful if the items are too worn. However, I had an armoire that was in pristine condition and they would not take it. They thought the distressed design of the item (which is designed to be an antique reproduction) indicated that it was in bad shape. I tried to explain to them that the item was suppose to look that way and was in fact identical looking to the day I bought it and they said I was incorrect (I guess lying) and they refused to take it.

I needed to have everything out of the house that day and with their refusal, had no plan for how to deal with the armoire. I tried calling the driver's supervisor but he was just as stubborn and kept suggesting that the piece was "worn out" and not suitable for the store. It was incredibly frustrating. You may not like the distressed style but I had no idea the SA would refuse a style. Won't be dealing with the SA in the future. Just not worth it.

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Information