1.61/5

143 Salvation Army Thrift Stores Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

After all the bad reviews I was hesitant to schedule a pickup. I filled out the online form and for my mattress/box spring and bed frame. The day before my scheduled pickup, I was able to call and was given a time window of 11am-2pm (I never had an issue getting through to a person to ask, in fact it was easier than I thought to get to the right person). The truck showed up at 11:45, and I showed them the bed frame and mattress. I should mention that this was up on the second floor. They happily took my mattress and box spring -- I had a mattress protector on it, and it was barely used so it looked brand new. Then I gave them a screwdriver and they broke the frame down, and hauled it all out. One of them gave me a receipt and they were done within 15 minutes!! I'm glad that someone will get use out of my barely used full size bed, and after this experience I wouldn't hesitate to schedule another donation with them in the future.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Sometimes people have to forgive themselves for a lifetime of deceit a single person caused another pain and changed the life of someone else's. So thank Alonzo clothes and furniture and the items for my new apartment and the life I was entitled to since birth. Bridget

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We submitted an online request for pick up of a couch, TV stand and 3 boxes of clothes. It was a simple process to fill the form. And on the day of pick up we received an email confirmation that they would come between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm to pick up the stuff. They arrived by 10.30 am, two men came and did the job. They were very professional and helpful. And they also gave the receipt for donation. I appreciate their service and would recommend them to my other friends too. We live in an apartment in the second floor and had mentioned the same while submitting the online form. So they had no issues in picking up from the doorstep. Overall my experience was great.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I didn't used to be big supporter of thrift stores, but...as I learned about fact that SA does truly help people (employment, shelter, help to get back on track to people who battle addictions, single mothers and so), I once wandered in their store out of curiosity. Not just employees are hardworking, helpful, professional, polite, but even managers are just extraordinary. Seen people arguing, or trying to weasel around, and employees politely and assertively handling situations, once some stranger asked me to translate for her while talking to the store manager, and that lady the stranger was little out of reality (the request she made). The manager handled the situation extremely well. I was surprised. It just become my regular to browse through stuff, and shop for things even I give them away, just because it's nice place filled with hope and nice idea.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

After being homeless for six month I got a apartment and Salvation Army helped me. I got vouchers for a sofa, two beds, drawers and kitchen table and chairs. I also got some plates and forks and things and a toaster. They helped me very much and were always very very nice even when my little girl was with me and crying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Helpful sales people and lots of products. All kinds of products. You can return items if necessary. Good prices on most all items. Large selection of household goods. A lot of locations in various cities.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We scheduled a pick up for several larger items and boxes of household goods. The pick up guy was argumentative and didn't really want to take anything. He left a like new love seat, 3 shelves, and boxes of dishes that were easily salable. He was upset that everything was not itemized on his order from dispatch. He stated all they really wanted was clothes, and that he would be penalized by Elk River sorting center if he brought in anything else. We packed up the car and dropped everything off at Goodwill where they were thrilled. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

6432 Rising Sun Ave. I was shopping at the Salvation Army on Rising Sun Ave yesterday in Philadelphia, Pa. I LOVE thrift stores shopping. My 5 yr old daughter left her cellphone in the store. So I go back and tell the cashier, my daughter left her phone. I can clearly see it from where I am. The MANAGER tells me I have to wait. SHE COUNTING CASH. Patiently, after 20 mins w/ my child having to go to the bathroom the lady walks off. I bangs on the glass and ask can she just pass me her phone. She screamings, "WE CLOSE." I AM HEATED NOW. I CALLED THE COPS. I staked out the front and told my husband to come and stake the BACK!!

She wasn't leaving WITHOUT giving me my daughter's phone. SHE LIES and said there was no phone there. SHE turns the lights OFF so you couldn't see. She didn't know I took a photo of my phone sitting there prior. I SHOWED IT TO THE COPS.. I told the officer, "She lying. My daughter phone is right there." She was heated because the cops told her to give the phone. The officer took his flashlight and could clearly see the PHONE. I waited for 45 mins with my child in the heat and this is how people do people!!! The Salvation Army will hear a word or TWO from me tomorrow!! AND I will never patronize one again!! The manager told the cops to tell me not to come back again. The nerves. I was the victim and ban me? I have contacted management and no one has returned my call. Next will be the media.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a gift certificate for a friend who thrifts regularly from the Eugene Store. It closed. The manager told us to go to a corporate store. Coos Bay, they refused to honor the gift certificate. I guess they can't afford to honor $25 worth of crap they got for free in the first place. I sure as hell won't be ringing the bell next xmas, or donating.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I scheduled a pick up online for 5 items to be picked up in mid June. When I contacted the Salvation Army directly I was told they don’t take mattresses yet it is included on their website. I completed the form and thought my items would be picked up on the scheduled date. The furniture to be picked up was at a home no one currently lives in and is 25 miles from my home. My husband and I called on the pick up date to see if all items were picked up and the lady informed us that the driver got lost and would be still picking up our furniture on that day. No one texted us to let us know that our furniture had not been picked up. We found out 4 days later from a family member who drove by the house that the furniture was still on the driveway. We contacted Salvation Army to find out what happened and not one of the four people could explain why the furniture had not been picked up.

The driver took a picture of door knob and no one could explain why that picture was taken. After talking with these people one person informed us that the driver would not take the furniture because there were stains and they could not be sold. After a few minutes on the phone with these people we were so frustrated that no one apologized or appeared to care that the furniture had not picked up. We decided to drive the 25 miles to take it to the Goodwill store near the home. The young man was happy to receive our furniture and even mentioned that they would sell easily. There were no stains on this furniture and there was no reason why they weren’t picked up. We have always thought of this organization as being one that we’d want to donate our items to, but after this experience I will never use them again.

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Information