3.7/5 (155 ratings)

About Salvation Army Thrift Stores

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

Original review: June 3, 2022

They scheduled us two weeks out and the guys who arrived were two ** overweight guys that appeared not to want to lift anything. They looked at our donation and said it was not good or new enough for them to take. A guy named "William" was arrogant and didn't care. When I was in college, I worked for the west coast location and they were a bunch of drug addicts forced to work. They would keep the good donations. I can tell they wanted something to keep not help the poor.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Every time I go to the Salvation Army in Torrance Plaza by Michaels and this one Hispanic female cashier is there, there’s drama. She’s always accusing people of stealing or changing prices. Everyone else is very kind but she is crass and downright nasty to customers. Today I went to pay and she accused me of changing prices! I DID NOT!!! And she would sell me the items. As I was leaving, she ran outside and grabbed another Hispanic women's arm and grabbed all her purchases, screaming at this customer! I don’t understand why she is still working for Salvation Army! She is the worst!

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2022

First of all I want start out by saying I have always appreciate and applauded organizations that dedicate their resources around helping others in time of need and those who are less fortunate. I have donated several times to the Salvation Army and shop there as well on occasion. I know the store they have here in our community has decent used furniture and I don’t blame their organization for being careful with donations.

However… I recently had a beautiful, black wood, twin, trundle bed (with the extra bed) get turned down for donation. I bought this bed at Rooms to Go for about $1,000 roughly 9 years ago. It was used for a guest bed and our needs simply changed. It did have a few dings and I didn’t bother to clean it, but I the joints and springs were perfect. I really don’t get it. These guys walked in and said, "Nope we can’t take it, nobody’s gonna buy it". The truth is I could sell it for myself if CL or Offerup for at least a hundred or so. I don’t think I’m gonna bother with Salvation Army anymore. I’d rather do a free curbside alert in CL.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I scheduled a pick-up from the Akron store. When the truck arrived with one person I was told he could not take the furniture because he didn't have anyone to help him load the truck and that they didn't want the brand new recliner that I was do

Original review: May 19, 2021

Immediate damp smell noticed upon entering, like a damp basement. Crumbling walls and around entry door, uneven floors, no mirrors, filthy bathroom. But the toilet was clean. Sink and room itself filthy and falling apart... The building is downright falling apart. Shameful. Will NEVER go back in there.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Since 2017, I have donated various items from clothing to books to furniture to the Tampa Florida Salvation Army. Scheduling pickups have been simple online, and everything always worked out as planned---someone would call me 30-minutes before pickup, and the drivers would not "overly" scrutinize my items. I understand some Salvation Army in various cities may have forgotten the meaning of charity, but in Tampa Florida, there seems to be practice of the original concept in every way. I'll always think of them first for donations.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Miami, Fl - The Salvation Army has become a greedy organization. They expect donated good to be perfect, though it's a thrift store! I showed up with a van full of furniture and household goods from my deceased parents' home and they rejected most of the furniture due to minor wear. Some of these were expensive pieces of furniture with a lot of usable life left. Any of those would have been perfect for anyone who needed a dining table, book shelf, side tables, tv stand, etc. They said they were unsellable, but that was absolutely not true. Who do they think they are? Nordstroms...?

If I had more time then I would have taken all of it to Goodwill who does appreciate such items. After years of donations to SA, I will never donate to Salvation Army again. The only ones being 'saved' there are their management with higher than deserved salaries gained from our donations. That's how they can now build those new million $ thrift stores. They have crossed the line! If I could rate less than 1 star I would.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I went to the Saugus location to drop off a glass front TV stand and was treated rudely from inception. From "you parked in the wrong place" to "we may not accept your stuff anyways", it was the last time I will be dealing with this company. After a quick glance at the furniture, they refused the donation saying it wasn't in sellable condition. Totally not true, but after the welcome I got, didn't bother to discuss any further and just left. It's a shame some family in need won't get this piece. It will be going in the trash this week. Maybe someone will grab it off the curb.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I was surprised to find banking, health and insurance information and other personal information left in the drawers of several items on the floor. Is anyone responsible for checking this? I took a picture.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I scheduled a donation to be picked up in front of my condo. I SPECIFICALLY left instructions to leave me a receipt for my taxes. Well, the 2 bags of clothes were picked up without leaving a receipt. I called Customer Service at the Salvation Army and was told they were on their way to pick up my donations. I told the rep that they already picked up my donation and I saw the truck drive away. She said that they hadn't made the pick up yet. I again told her they did, as I saw them drive away and put the donations in the truck. I was told that they would email me a receipt for my taxes. It has been 5 hours and still no receipt. Evidently, all the Salvation Army does is talk and does not pay attention to special instructions on their website! Will not donate to them again!!

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Information