Salvation Army Thrift Stores

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called to donate items and they came and would not take my items. Told me the beautiful Ethan allen end tables were outdated and not real wood. What they were wood. A new not used bicycle had a flat tire. Also a kitchen table was not wood. This was also real wood. They would not even take a glass table. They told me they don't take glass. I wanted home all day to be told this. They are horrible. The driver told me they want new items... Who donates new items these days. I will never call them again. Never...

I was checking out a jewelry bag which was $45.00 and the tall blonde lady behind the counter asked if she could see the bag for a minute. Of course I gave it to her and even though there was staples already in it she had to put in more like I was going to open it and take things out. Then she takes it and puts it back on the counter instead of giving it back to me. I am 58 years old and have never been treated so rude!!! I shop lots of Salvation Army Stores and also donate but I will not spend another dime at this store as long as they don't know how to treat people. I also called and the manager Brad was very condescending to me and all I have to say is look at the camera on 11/4/2016 at 9:30 am!! I have never been so disrespected by a rude employee that dresses as if she is an escort!!! I will NEVER shop there again and I have actually been going there for ten plus years!!! This happened at 9:30 am and has consumed and ruined my day!!!

(Originally the inheritance amount said was, $60 Billion) The US continues to dominate in every category, from the most Health Problems, to producing the most Poorest Quality of Food, to giving away the most Poorest Quality of Food, to throwing out the most food, to the most prison inmates, to the most Mental Health Patients, to most domestic violence cases, to most homicides & crimes in general, to the most greed of any country based on the highest rate of disposable anything, to building the most weapons.

To even killing the most people in other countries, and yes moderation team US also leads in Homelessness & what has salvation army done with $1.8 Billion in aiding the homeless? It sure isn't been keeping our homeless off the streets &/or eating healthier food by reducing the health risks. Keep on cutting out the voice of the American people and any room for improvement, quality, and freedom, from such domination. Boo hoo on Consumer Affairs! You're helping hand is -0- to worst.

I used to love the store but not now. The Asian assistant manager is a long time employee with Salvation Army and plays all kind of games for her own interests. The bottom line is she should not force me to play the game with her. When I did not go along with her, she turned around gave me hard time, even harassed me and humiliated me. Salvation Army management did not discuss the problem with me, the meeting to discuss the problem never becomes true. I received a letter that management asked employees to give client senior discount after regular discount and ignored the fact that she violated rule and regulation in employee hand book.

Mission Values of The Salvation Army Our Vision - The Salvation Army - a growing, loving community of people dynamically living God's mission in a broken world. Please see Salvation claimed: Our Mission - The Salvation Army raised up by God for the work of: Transforming Lives; Caring for People; Making Disciples; Reforming Society; Our Values - Recognizing that God is always at work in the world we value: Human Dignity; Justice; Hope.

Please see what Salvation Army did. May 29, 2015: On May 26, 2015 the Asian Assistant Manager repeated that no senior discount after 50% off of blue tag according to store policy. She did not bother to check the policy, she did not bother to ask other employees about the policy, and she did not bother to show me the policy at all when I asked her to show me many times. Why all other employees know store policy except her??? What kind of assistant manager she is???

I did not fight with her after she refused to give me senior discount. I left the counter and did not purchase the item. It was her came to me while I was talking with my friend in other side of store.

She did not show me the policy and she did not let me talk to higher position person. She had nothing else to do but harassing me for a long time. I finally told her to leave me alone to stop her. Is this a correct way for an assistant manager to treat a customer like this??? She then complained about me to other customers to humiliate me. This is a serious harassment. Other customers may think I am a crazy woman according to her words. Is this a professional way to treat a customer like this???

Friday, May 29, 2015 2:20 PM. She said "hi" only to certain customers that she liked. She treated customers differently. For example if there was no tag she would tell me or my friend that she would charge full price. One day a customer in front of me was checking out. Some stuff did not have tags. She let him pay half price of similar items that he got. One time she charged me the yarn double price because it was a little bigger. Few days later I saw same size yarn marked half of the price I paid. I did not argue with her. Another time she told a customer in front of me that she could not sell him the book like before. She did not explain why, but asked the customer to the other side and whispered to him. Why she could not talk to him in front of everybody so we all understand the rule?

She did not allow me to use refund. She said next time. Then next time she still did not allow me to use. So I asked her when I could use. She finally let me use. Why she gave me hard time??? She always told me to deliver massages for her to other employees, or told me to close the door. I did what she said, yet she was still mean to me. No other employees told me to do this or that like her. One day she was arranging clothes and I was passing by. She refused to move her skinny body a little bit so I could go through. Instead she told me to walk around from other side. I did what she said and did not argue with her. She was not friendly to other employees. She always told them "you have to" without "the reason why".

She had nothing better to do till I told her to leave me alone. The price of the item sometime was according to what she said. She could lower it or double it. It was according to her relationship with customer. She was not doing the right job and she was not a qualified worker. CC. I went to the store on Oct. 13, 2015. I was sexually harassed by an old widow. I was hiding on second floor and some customers went to Linda for help and she did not care at all. She said that same thing happened a week ago and even worse. Georgia was not in at that time. Finally the guy David went to talk to the widow and told him do not come back. He also offered me to walk to my car. What kind of assistant manager Linda was besides harass me?

November 10, 2015 11:41 AM. She violates Salvation Army Employee Rules and Regulations. #5. Threatening, intimidating, coercing, or interfering with fellow staff, customers, clients or other visitors on The Salvation Army's premises. #13. Using offensive language or indulging in malicious gossip. #15. Collection of funds or solicitation for any purpose whatsoever on work time unless expressly authorized by management or mishandling of any donation to The Army. #19. Discourtesy to one's fellow staff, clients or to the public in any manner. #21. Participation in, or silence regarding any illegal activities connected with the work place. Knowledge of any such activities should be reported to one's supervisor or the next command level for confidential investigation.

#22. Sexual harassment and other forms of harassment/retaliation tied to such employee characteristics as age, religion, gender, marital status, race, and nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, status as a veteran, or status in any group protected by state or local law. All employees have a responsibility to report harassment/retaliation of any type to their supervisors. Should an incident involve a supervisor, immediate contact should be made with the next level of command? Strict confidentiality will be maintained regarding any such report and its subsequent investigation. Our anti-harassment policy applies not only to staff of The Army but to its clients, customers and vendors, etc. (see section on Anti-Harassment Policy in this Handbook.) #23. Immoral Conduct of any kind.

#24. Indulging in any behavior either on or off the job that has a negative impact on The Salvation Army's public image, religious goals, or programs. #26. Any actual or potential conflict of interest may preclude employment eligibility or result in termination if it occurs after hire. Any possible conflict of interest must be discussed immediately with Administration who will decide whether corrective action must be taken. When a conflict of interest is found to exist, an employee will be given the opportunity to remove the conflict before termination or reassignment is considered.

Please see attached letter from Salvation Army. Management has no intention to solve the problem. Management did not read my complaint. Management did not even know what the problems are. The problem is Asian assistant manager not the store or other staff. The problem is she violated rules and regulations not all staff do not know store policy and procedure. In fact all other staff knew after 50% off senior gets another 30% off on Tuesday. Christina ** also has problem herself to understand and solve this problem. Somebody should do something right to solve the problem.

November 24, 2015 9:12 PM. I am so surprised to read your letter dated Nov. 16, 2015 from management. I believed you never read my email dated Nov. 10, 2015. I complained about Asian assistant manager. Your response was about Alhambra store. I did not complain about any other people or any other things of the store. I brought up Asian assistant manager violated rules and regulations. Your response was making all staff understand stores policy and procedures. Looks like your staff do not have training before working in the store; especially Asian assistant manager, she is working there over ten years. You have no respect on customer. Asian assistant manager could violate rules and regulations and do not take any responsibility with your protection. I said that I did not agree, now you said again. No wonder she told me recently that give up fighting for justice against her.

Oct. 13, 2015. I was sexually harassed by an old guy in your store. Customer reported to Asian assistant manager. She did nothing. December 02, 2015. There is a new complaint against Asian assistant manager. When I bought furniture, she told me that staff cannot help client to move. She wanted to call her friend to help me move and I have to pay her friend. December 10, 2015. What is your policy when your employee Linda violated rules and regulations again and again??? December 17, 2015. Asian assistant manager was selling spring rolls in Salvation Army for her friends on Chinese New Year. Is it allowable? She also called her friend to move furniture for clients. If you did not use her friend, buy her stuff you got the treatment like me. Is it allowable? She always persuaded clients to buy certain items. If you did not buy, you are in trouble. Looking forward to hearing from you.

April 13, 2016 12:56 PM. Area manager told me to have a meeting with assistant manager, however later on there was no meeting and all my phone calls and email was totally ignored. April 12, 2016. I met area manager in Alhambra store while he was training the staff. Later on I asked him about my complaint. He said it was happened last year. Just because he ignored me over a year my complaint was over? July 06, 2016 1:05 PM. I went to Alhambra Store yesterday. July 5, 2016. I could not find other staff and I could not wait, I have to check out with LINDA. She said to me that she did not treat me bad and she wanted me to forget what she did.

I asked her that: Why she did not give me senior discount after the regular discount but other staff did and why she complained about me to other clients. She said other staff did not understand rules; she did not respond about why she complained about me to other clients. Why she did not sell me an item without price tag but sold to other clients. She said that items without price tag is final sale. However to me she just told me that she could not sell the item without price tag and kept the item. Why she told me that store staff could not move furniture for me and wanted me to call and pay the guy she referred me, but she asked store staff to move furniture for other clients. She could not respond. Why I did everything she asked such as closed store door, find staff for her many times, but she could not move her body a little bit and let me pass. I understand this is second hand store, I am second hand client, and management is second hand too.

I have found the Salvation Army stores here in Ma. are very high priced for their used items. I have picked up items seeking to purchase to have my mouth drop open in shock at the asking price. To then turn it over, and discover the actual store tag still adhered to item and its original price was lower!? The prices for these donated used items are outrageous and is consistent throughout all their stores in Ma. which tells me that the employees are being truthful when they say they do not make these prices and they are coming from higher up. This goes on to tell me that the upper management and owners are only trying to make enough profit to justify their big bonuses!? They have little regard for people and families financially struggling these days and it is reflective in their pricing.

Their stores are dusty and dirty and I understand, to an extent, that it would be hard to keep very clean with all the used and donated items, however, they do not consider this when pricing. It is like they have the best of both worlds charging high end prices, yet, not worrying about their consumers and providing them with clean friendly inviting stores. I will not shop at this store anymore or donate. It repulses me think about how the owners are making money from people's generosity and caring. Though, they will say they make no money and fund community-based programs I've yet to see a program that benefits from them!?

I will, also, state that they treat their employees with no honor or respect and pay only what the law requires them to. They work them long and hard and they are subjected to personal belongings searches and they do not even give them any discount on purchases they might make!? So, if the employees are irritable and unfriendly it is probably because they are being overworked and getting no recognition of all their hard work being done within this company. These workers are just trying to make ends meet and have a job in this struggling economy. I have nothing good to say about this company and I wish they would hear our concerns!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

I bought a section couch for $150.00 from the Lancaster PA SA. The person who was going to pick it up for me was a no show and I had no one else to help me. The store extended my time for p/u but still I had no way to move it. When I went back to the store the manager told me no refunds and I had 2 extra days to move it. I am not able to rent a truck or hire a mover because I'm on disability and so is my son. So now I have no couch and the SA just stole 150.00 from me and my children for merchandise we never received. Is this practice even legal? The sofa is still in their store and they said they'll put it back out on the floor if I don't come pick it up.

Quite frankly, they can keep their couch. Just give me my money back. I think I'll call a lawyer. Nowhere on my receipt or paperwork does it state "no refunds/returns/exchanges". This is the only business I have EVER been to that has had the audacity to claim to seek out the needy and help them and they spit in their face with contempt. I will never donate or shop at the SA again. I will tell my family and friends and we will donate our time, money, goods, and services to operations that truly do give to the poor and needy... of which I am one. God bless those who truly care about their fellow man in need and rise to meet the challenge.

I frequented my salvation army for the past 15 years and it's downgraded over the years. They pretty much kept the "faithful" workers there all of this time and only hire people who's doing community service every now and then. It consists of women workers who have the worse attitudes ever! They don't speak unless you got out of your way to speak to them and they’re constantly stealing for themselves and friends and family members or giving them super low discounts. The prices are extremely high and when you try to negotiate with them even for a dollar less than the price given, they will fight you on it. This is donated stuff geesh!

I will never donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army again. They never help the community or individuals. They may as well be retail stores now which they basically are. They literally mock the poor and give them little to no help. I would suggest everyone to stop going into these greedy selfish stores and see how much they will change and fall shortly after. It's the community fault for keeping these places alive.

This is the 6th or 10th time in the last 2 years that I have heard this woman belittle her staff and customers. This woman is also racist and I have heard it more than once. I cannot believe she is still in this position. She is an embarrassment to Canada, when she does not have any patience with the refugees or new immigrants. This is the Forest Lawn store. Also the items for sale have been higher price than the same items purchased new at Sirens, Dollar Store, Jysk and more.

Why are we charging the people that need help and don't know that the prices on some items are more or the same as new items because they think going USED is cheaper!! We need to put a stop on this!! A used Towel for 6.99 when Army & Navy had the same for 5.99!!! A flat sheet 7.99 a fitted for 7.99 and pillow case for 4.99 SO THIS SET IS 21.00 including tax. You can find a good deal for 29.99 New!! These items should be sold at a reasonable amount. A blanket for 24.09!!! Let's get reasonable here!!

(0-star) The Salvation Army will never receive another donation in kind or monetary from me again. For the second time in 6 years, they've refused to accept donations from me because: 1) some 6 years ago, a the barely used 3 year old kitchen gas stove was dirty. The stove had been stored in the basement of another property I owned. The stove, used for a year, cost almost $900 and NO damage or issues. Dust from storage was its only fault. 2) Today, they refused to take a bedroom set of dresser & chest because it had minor discoloration on top... Well, it's has become quite obvious that this organization is ungrateful and "cherry picks" their donations. For this reason I will find a local organization to give my items to. The Salvation Army has gotten too big and fat off its free slave laborers and the generosity of the American public. We hardly give notice to how this "charity" is ran or operated.

However, the more you look behind the public veil, the more I realized that I would rather donate to a local organization with community ties and responsibilities. Sometimes we must accept the ugly truth and move on. Yes the Salvation Army help many people thru their organizations. That help comes with a price, the mandate any outside income of those they house, be donated to SA; workers receive pennies for their hourly wage; that, senior "officers" in the SA receive generous salaries and benefits; the bottom line is, should we ignore the major shortcomings and faults of the SA based on their charity work; I why does the SA only offer for sale the quality items in non-minority communities. It's well known that high end items and clothing never see lower and middle class communities.

Frankly, there are too many other organizations that can and should benefit from most of the items the SA feel is "not good enough." So, rather that offering these items to the SA, I will give them, as well as my money, to community based charities that demonstrate a greater & more direct benefit to my community and the people who live here. It may cause me some inconvenience, but I will feel better knowing that my gift went to a better place.

Most people that shop thrift stores have limited income anyway or get ssi or whatever so why is it The Salvation is charging so much for Irene that were donated to them to start with? I mean like a used comforter, 45 bucks? Wow!! A dirty coat, stains around sleeves, 22.00? Who is getting rich from the poor here people? The answer is the Slaton army and I can tell you that are not doing the midst good!! With these high prices, I will not donate to them. I donate to the haven of mercy because you can see and know they feed homeless people b shelter longer than 3 days!

Did you know The Salvation Army only lets people stay at their shelter for 3 days? And they don't give furniture to the needy!! Only if you're a burnout victim not if you're poor and your kids need a bed to sleep in because they have to sleep in the floor!! So who's getting rich selling their donated items to low income or middle class workers? Figure it out. They were the same when I was growing up. My mom complained about them years ago. We were poor and she went there to buy our clothes. They make it hard on the poor. I could go on but I'm done and I will shop at Goodwill or Haven of Mercy where I know my money will also help another person!! Thanks.

The prices are becoming OUTRAGEOUS!!! I rarely shopped there before because I thought the prices were getting ridiculous but I recently went in there to get a "used" winter coat and didn't see anything under $20. Some were in poor condition and smelled. They sell worn out looking items such as sneakers for $10 that have horrible odors. Worn out boots with scuff marks they want $30. Used fans full of dust and covered in scratches they wanted $30 when that is what they cost brand new in a department store. Used furniture is ridiculous and so expensive you're better off finding something on Kijiji! They even try to sell empty boxes on the shelves that used to have soaps or makeup in them for $5! They just don't care!

When the employees are confronted about their prices and where do they get off trying to dupe the public they say they don't make the prices - it comes from head office. Either way whoever is making these prices they are ridiculous! They will sell broken, beat up, scratched, scuffed, smelly, dirty things for crazy unaffordable prices! They are supposed to be non-profit but I think that is a big load of crap!!! They are not helping the community. All these things are donated from people. I say stop going there and stop donating to Salvation Army. They are awful! People are complaining and boycotting their store and going to other more affordable thrift stores.

Never again will the Salvation Army get a donation from me. They are the worst and most unprofessional people around. I should have remembered and looked up their history as I called them before and decided not to donate because of the attitude. These are donations. If you want new items go buy them or tell people you really don't want donations you want 1000 dollar item for free that you can sell or take home for your own use.

I explained to them these were antiques, not new off the showroom floor. No wonder they are hurting and have so many complaints. I spent hours getting items ready, cleaning them, making sure they worked, polishing to have some rude, holier than thou driver show up and tell me "Nope." One item was repainted, one which was 160 years old I took a front piece off to keep it from getting damaged, and a table from 1940 that was in good condition no stains zip and solid oak. They refused them. And they did not pick up the other items just left them.

This one staff member Dave I told him there are antiques, what did he expect. And what's with something repainted? I did call back and these are their rules. The store won't sell anything even slightly scratched or used. Dave explained it is the store who sets the rules. Fine so who trains your employees? Bottom line this driver will never come in my home again ever and yes the Chairman of the Board will get a letter. So my recommendation is find somewhere else to donate or take a picture. Send it in but don't expect your item to be accepted or to be treated with any appreciation.

This is crazy. Went to the Salvation Army in Clarkston, MI and could not believe what I was seeing. Checked 5 pair of tennis shoes. They were 25.00 to 30.00 each. What? Are you kidding? I have always supported Salvation Army. I will not in the future. 0 donations and 0 thrift store shopping! Same shoes a month ago were 7.50-10.00. Come on people. Management should be fired.

I had a horrible experience with their pick up service. I had a couch and loveseat that are only a year old and I spent over $1000 dollars on them. The couch has a little tear in the back about an inch long but the rest of it is in great condition. I live on the second floor so I believe the pick up guys did not want to carry it down the stairs so they said they could not take it. I put the couch and Iove seat on Craigslist and 2 days later I sold them for $500. For a company who is suppose to be helping people they sure do like turning down good money because they don't want to carry a couch down 1 flight of stairs. I will definitely stay away from them and Goodwill from now on.

I just had a horrible experience with the Salvation Army workers. I scheduled a pick up for a kitchen set and a dining room set. When the workers arrived, I explained that they could take both sets, however the workers only picked up the kitchen set and began to leave. I called the workers back and told them that they forget the dining room set and the one African American worker rudely replied, "I don't want that stuff". I told him that the set was new and he replied "It looks old to me", then he just walked off. I told the worker that he could have at least told me that he wasn't going to take the dining room set instead of just leaving without saying anything.

I explained to the rude gentleman that I was giving out of the kindness of my heart and that he should tone down his attitude and be more pleasant to people who are trying to do something good. The rude gentleman just replied, "Whatever, you just upset cause I don't want your stuff." I told the gentleman that I can take a 'no' but there is a more proper, respectful and tactful way to say 'no'. I told the gentleman that if he thought the set was garbage then would he just take the table and toss it the dumpster that was right next to his van and he told me, "You need to find someone to do that cause I don't do that".

Now I have experienced horrible treatment before but as someone who was trying to do a good deed, I was expecting better treatment. It reminds me of the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished". I was so upset and hurt that I was in tears. If anyone wants to give, I implore them to give to an organization that is more appreciative and respectful unless abuse is a desired treatment when attempting to do a good deed.

Do not donate to Salvation Army. My 88 yr old mom scheduled pickup of her no longer necessary furniture to donate a MONTH in ADVANCE. The day of pickup they tell her to be at the house between 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM. No show. At 1:30 I call them and they said she's pickup #24 and they are currently at #12. Ok, figure a couple more hours. THREE HOURS later they tell her they can't make it and to reschedule! THEY HAVE to be KIDDING! I will never work with Salvation Army again!

Salvation Army used to have very reasonable prices. However I've noticed the last few times that the price increase on items are far above Goodwill pricing or any of their other competitors. Used dresses for $12.99? Why would anyone consider shopping Salvation Army at this point when you can shop dresses from $4.99-$7.99 at Goodwill? I've spoken with the cashiers at my local Salvation Army, they all agree that business is much slower now and the 30%-50% increase on USED clothing items is a complete mystery.

I was forced to do community service for the Salvation Army. One evening I was scheduled to work from 4-9, which I did, however my doctor has me on Elavil which makes you constantly thirsty and therefore you constantly have to urinate. So I was gone from my post one to two times an hour. The "Army's" narcs said no one was ever there. That was a lie. I was there but I had to pee a lot because I drank a lot of water due to my medicine. Anyway, I was work my next 4-9 shift, I had been working for 3 hours and had to pee. I held it in as long as I could because obviously I know how those liars are. As soon as I got back from the bathroom "colonel Sander's" or whatever his name is (he works at the greenwood Indiana Salvation Army branch) said that I was done and needed to find another place to do my community service.

I was appalled I hadn't even taken one of my fifteen-minute breaks nor a lunch or a bathroom break for three hours, all of which are supposed to be permitted.

So he made me leave, however, he refused to sign off on my paperwork stating that I had worked three hours. When I followed him and tried to get to him to sign the paper he go into a Salvation Army van and another individual drove off with me trying to open the doors. They dragged me down the parking lot and left me laying in the middle of the road, to the astonishment of all onlookers. It's clear the Salvation Army doesn't care about anyone! In addition, they were angry with me when the bucket wasn't as full as they thought it should be. They don't care about charity. They care about money and that's when it became clear to me they were affiliated with church which has been confirmed by this website.

I'm an atheist and want nothing to do with religion and "colonel sander's" boldly lied to my face about the fact that they are associated with religion. In addition, when I signed up with "colonel Sander's" I asked if the Salvation Army was affiliated with any church. He said "no" but according to your website that was clearly a lie. I will never support the Salvation Army in any way, shape, or form again. I absolutely hate them. And you (plural) should too, never support unless you like supporting liars. They are nothing but liars, cheats, and scoundrels! I wanted to throw up when I discovered they were affiliated with a religion and this "colonel Sander's" boldly lied to my face!

An associate ran out of the store as I was loading my bags into the car yelling "You did not pay for those boots." I showed him the receipt and items in the two bags I had purchased and asked him to show me the discrepancy. He kept yelling about people coming into the store running across the street with stolen items. He also stated that I had stolen several items from the store previously. I asked for a manager since he was not listening to anything I was saying.

Another gentleman came out, took my personal shoes back to the person working in shoes and asked if they belonged to the store. She said they did not. I asked them to look back at video footage to prove I came in the store with the shoes on. The second gentleman said it was not necessary and apologized for the misunderstanding.

I think it was inappropriate for the first guy to come behind me yelling in front of customers that I had not paid for an item. I also think it was wrong for him to yell at me about what other people had done and accuse me of stealing in the past. I have never stolen anything and gave donated numerous times over the years. If there is something I cannot afford I ask the sales associate to return the item. I am very upset and am thinking of contacting a lawyer regarding the way I was treated.

I have a small vintage clothing shop, and I would frequent the 2 Albuquerque stores frequently. The prices were great, at the end of 2014, the prices on everything doubled. They created a "boutique" section in which the clothing was marked at high retail pricing. I don't shop there anymore. I found out that Citadel owns them. It's a big corporation. I really don't know if they are still a nonprofit. Everything is donated! People that can't afford new products cannot afford to shop at the Albuquerque Salvation Army anymore. It's a sad situation.

I've been donating goods for years to the Salvation Army thrift store on PCH and Anza in Torrance. As I broke my umbrella at the beach this past weekend and saw that they had a used one just like it, I inquired about pricing and was told that it was $75. Since Costco sells the newer version of this same Tommy Bahama umbrella for $29.99, I was surprised but I should not have been. They also had clearly used Tommy Bahama beach chairs "on Sale" tagged for $45 when they are only $24.99 BRAND NEW at Costco. Then I spotted a very used Wavestorm Foam Surfboard tagged at $149.99. This product is also available at Costco BRAND NEW for only $99. It looks like Goodwill will be getting my stuff from now on. Buyers beware at Salvation Army. They will rip you off!

The store at 4001 Inglewood Ave Redondo Beach, CA. The store used to be wonderful. Clothes were clean and reasonably priced. For the last two weeks all clothing priced in Santa Monica warehouse and delivered here to put out. The clothes are smelly, holes and dirty. Double the price now. The mgrs and cashiers say it's out of their control. I communicated to Santa Monica and they could care less.

I was an employee of a Salvation Army store in Florida for seven and a half years. The store was doing well until Corp. Majors were brought out of retirement to "make improvements". We were told that they wanted the store to look like Wal-Mart. You have got to be kidding me! This store had spent years adapting sales to the local community. We were told to get rid of the bins of good clothing we sold for $3 a bag because it looks bad. All their other "improvements" caused us to lose customers. We struggled to make money for the store. We didn't have a truck and drivers to pick up donations so we had to rely on the other stores to pick up for us. That didn't work well.

They closed the store before the holidays and we were out of work. No unemployment compensation because they don't pay into it. One of my coworkers also lost their home and became homeless. My husband became seriously ill and needed constant care so I was unable to work. We went thru all our savings. It has been a tremendous struggle.

I frequent a Salvation Army Thrift Store in Middle Village Queens, NY. I really like the prices and merchandise, but half the time I go in there which is at least twice a week, there are no workers to be seen. I wanted to pay for something and I think they are out in the backyard somewhere (who knows). The same experience happened to a friend of mine who went to the same store. When you do eventually get someone they are so busy socializing it's hard to even ask a question. I'M sorry I have to write this because the Salvation Army does such good work for so many. I really like having a store like this in the neighborhood, but if you can't find the workers or they are too busy, what's the point?

I visited the Salvation Army Family Clothing store in Chula Vista on July 28 to look for a shirt for a job interview. 15 minutes prior to the store closing I was refused the ability to try one shirt due to the store closing in 15 minutes. I asked very kindly to the Manager working to please let me try on the shirt. She refused. It upset me a great deal since this was a shirt I needed for an interview. I left very upset.

But as I made my way around the store I couldn't help but seeing the volunteers at the store doing their job of picking up and arranging the clothes. A woman who was an employee there approached a volunteer and told her "Go picking up all the clothes that you see in the floor." The volunteer then looks at the employee and told her using Spanish words "No hablo ingles..." The worker leaving the presence of the volunteer continued to talk but this time using foul language to express how the volunteer was ignorant for not knowing English. I left very upset from this store.

As an organization that provides services to those in need in our community, you guys are doing a poor job hiring people who are not passionate about representing what you guys stand for. Plus if I may add, I find it ridiculous going into a store and seeing second-hand clothing priced at 15 dollars with no discount at times. I also saw a jacket that was in poor condition priced at 50$! Thrift stores are not here for people who have money. Thrift stores are put to serve our community as a whole. The people in need of jobs, find jobs. The people in need of clothes, find affordable clothes. The money that is needed to help run the various programs the Salvation Army offers are able to get some by the clothing and accessories they sell.

As a customer I demand to be contacted back with a formal apology from the supervisor that was present that day as well as the staff. I was able to get the name of the volunteer that day. She looked so unhappy being mistreated. I believe you guys owe it to her to give her a competition of her hours for the verbal abuse she went through. The look in her face was upsetting.

So... waiting 2 months for the truck from Salvation Army to come pick up my garage full of things left over from my house I just purchased... I got a call from the dispatcher telling me they were at my house. At the time of the call I was at the hospital with my mom 15 minutes away. It took me exactly 14 minutes to get home. When I got home no one was there. After calling back the dispatcher wondering where they are he told me they left after 10 minutes. Even though I told him I was coming home. Absolutely ridiculous and not to mention I had to take the day off of work to be there as it was all in my garage. He was speechless and then he told me I would have to wait another 2 months for them to pick up my stuff again. Screw that I'm not dealing with this again. I'm going to sell the stuff. Where does the money for all these things go anyways?

As a employee of salvation army for over a year I had just recently requested some vacation time and prior to a management turn over I had never had a problem requesting any time off. After checking the schedule for the up and coming week I found that management had put me on for the time I had requested for vacation. I approached the new management about it and she said that that was the first she had heard of my request. I explained that I gave the request form to the assistant manager and she responded that she would speak to her assistant within the next few minutes. Thereafter I was called back to the office and was told that I did not get my request form in on time and proceeded to tell me I could only take off however many hours I had banked which added up to 3 days and I asked for 6. I was told I could not request any more than the 3 days I had banked.

In the past I had never had a problem requesting time off. Shouldn't that choice be up to me since I know I don't get paid for requested time above and beyond my vacation time I have built up? So I asked the manager if I was to take the time for my vacation I had already booked would I be fired? She replied yes! I responded "then you'll be sorry because you're losing a valuable employee." So I quit and they asked me for my name badge, I punched out and left with my head held high.

Most management with salvation army don't care to know the employees, their strong points or how valuable they are. All they care about is their numbers and how much of a bonus they can receive at the end each month. This is only one of my negative experiences while working there and I could actually go on, but I won't. There are many more employees with just as many negative experiences. Just to name a few management has told dock workers they are not allowed to have water on the dock. That should be against the law! I have witnessed managers screaming into the face of employees and also using vulgar language in some circumstances. That's wrong!!! Management at salvation army treats their employees disrespectfully!

My sister a paid employee of Salvation Army closing a Chicago site she has run for 7 years. Has been told she cannot collect unemployment because her check comes out of Indiana Salvation Church... How can they do this? Ever been to or seen a Salvation Army Church? Doubt it. Paid employees make it a 501C3 company and they did not take out withholding as should have. I see a class action suit in the offing. Do not donate to them or Goodwill. Same animals honestly...

I have many complaints about the Salvation Army. I went in one day to buy some porcelain dolls and there was one that was broken. The lady wanted to charge me $ eight dollars for that one. I told her "no it was broken and there was no way to repair the doll." I only wanted to purchase it for the eyes out of it as I am a doll maker myself. She would not go down anymore so I left. I went back about five months later just the other day. This time when I went back every doll was broken I ask about them again and she told me $10 a doll again said "no these are broken I only want them for parts eyes and hair." She would not sell them to me unless I pay $10 apiece for broken dolls.

Another time I went in and I heard the manager screaming at another employee by the name of ** saying out loud in front of all the customers "I've done told her to come up here and check the boy out. How many times do I?" Another time I went in and I heard the manager screaming at another employee by the name of ** saying out loud in front of all the customers "I've done called her seven times," and talking to the cashier in front of us being very degrading of whoever this lady named ** was.

Biggest complaint I have right now is the ladies auxiliary. They do not sell the dolls that were donated to them. They keep them for themselves, clean them up, and resell them. I know this for fact as I went to a lady's garage sale and she told me that her mother got all of the dolls because she worked with the ladies auxiliary. She told me that her mother passed away. She was selling all of her dolls. She had all kinds of old dolls that were donated to the Salvation.

I don't see how this could be right when people donate to the Salvation Army it should not be where people that work for the Salvation Army can pick all of the good stuff out and leave the trash for everybody else. If you go to any of the goodwills at Salvation Army's you will not find any good Dolls as they are taken out before they hit the shelves. I know this to be true and factual.

People are very unfriendly & dismissive. Called yesterday 6/29/2015 @ 3:28 pm (as told to previously) to see when they would pick up. The man told tomorrow between 9am & noon. Called today 9:38am. Was told between noon & 3pm. I told the man I came from Hickory NC an hour away and was sitting in an empty apartment waiting for them. He said "have a good day" then hung up on me.

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Profile