1.18/5
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

109 Salvation Army Thrift Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I scheduled a pick up for a couch and to be honest I was nervous because of all the bad reviews I read re pick ups but they arrived within time frame given and were very professional. They were careful moving the couch and fast.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I made an appointment to have a few items of furniture picked up for donation. I made the appointment a month in advance, and when it got closer to the date I called for a pickup window. I was told the window was 8:30-3:30, but I could call the day of for a more exact time. The morning of my pickup, I tried several times to call but no one answered the phones. When I finally got through to someone, she told me there had been a discrepancy and they were working on getting a truck for the pickup and I should call back in an hour for a timeline. I asked if the pickup would still happen that day, and was told yes. When I called back an hour later, I was told the pickup would be between 2-3:30.

At 3:35 I received a call saying they couldn't do the pickup that day because they were running behind, but could come the next day. I told them I was moving the next day so they ended up coming the original day. However, when they arrived they were very rude. They told me I had to move a bunch of things around to get the couch out the door (which I was happy to do) while they brought the first donations down to the truck. When they came back up, they said they couldn't take the couch because they claimed it was too dirty, even though it's in great condition and I had vacuumed and cleaned it that morning.

I don't understand why they couldn't have told me that originally when they came in before I moved everything around for them, as obviously nothing about the condition of the couch had changed during the time they came back. I also thought it was unnecessary for them to be so rude to me, and couldn't offer any solutions of what I could do to get rid of the couch if they wouldn't take it. I was never even offered a tax deduction form for the stuff they had taken. I can tell you I won't be donating anything else to them, as this whole experience was incredibly frustrating. It shouldn't be hard to get someone on the phone to answer a simple question, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that people be somewhat polite when you're making a donation.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had a bad experience for furniture pickup. I spent quite a bit of time online filling out a detailed form. Then I got a call message with misinformation about the date of pickup and an unclear return phone number. When I finally got hold of them, they asked me the same questions I answered on form and told me they could only pick up desks that were solid real wood and would not take a platform bed. These were very good pieces of furniture that would be useful to someone. I am downsizing or would keep them myself. The reps were also quite unfriendly and rude. I used to support this organization and had good experiences in past but they have really changed. They no longer seem to be community oriented, more interested in making money and not serving people in need is my impression.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Visited a location near zip 10475 in Mt Vernon NY. The price of a cotton short jacket was $80.00 USD. I believe the short jacket was worth 8 to 10 USD but the price was on this item for $80.00. I could not believe my eyes or the salesperson words.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I recently shopped at Honesdale, PA Salvation Army Thrift Store. The employees are very rude, mean, disrespectful and the biggest thieves. I've seen employees taking donations immediately to their cars the minute a flat screen TV is donated or a computer. The employees there are on it not even making it into the stores. They never help with emergency housing or emergency utilities. They claim to not have funds. But at the stores there prices are crazy high. You can buy brand new for a few more dollars online or in store. I think they should be investigated and closed down. Salvation Army are the biggest thieves...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Scheduled a pick up to donate multiple items from my house. The staff were very rude, arrogant, and uncooperative. They left my furniture on footpath and drove off in threatening manner. I was shock and frightened. I asked them nicely, "Please if can't take my furniture could you please put back inside the house where you pick." They became aggressive and refused to do this after. Due to rain my furniture got damage. I have very bad experience with Salvation Army staff. I will never donate to them again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I called the Salvation Army beginning of 2018 season and told them that ringers are hanging tip bags for themselves next to the donation kettle. They said the ringers are not suppose to do this and will look into it. They are still asking for tips!! In all my adult life, this is the 1st time I've seen this! My husband and I usually give $100 each year but will not anymore.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I visited the Salvation Army located at 8715 Brentwood Street in Maryland. The manager, **, was again rude, threatening and intimidating. Today he told me, "I may not let you in this store again." I did nothing but speak to him about an item pricing. The item was marked $2. There were three stickers on the item. ** wanted to charge me $6.99. I said no. You can keep it. He at that point became belligerent. He said “you’re pushing it.” He, stood there, hovering about the front counter, watching my every movement and he frightened me. I asked him why he did that when shoppers were stuffing items into their personal bags.

Then, a shopper behind me gave him twenty dollars. She told him it was for his lunch. He pocketed the money. The shopper had items in a bag that they did not go through. I figured she was giving him the money so he wouldn’t check her things. This lady had, in her cart, approximately several hundred dollars worth of merchandise. Her cart was full. Yet, she was bagged, charged and out of the store in less than a minute. He continually said it was his store and he could do whatever he wanted. I don’t think he did this for any other reason but to show he could wield power. I have never been treated by any manager, anywhere, with such total disdain. I told him I would report his behavior and he spelled out his name to me. Very disrespectful, mean and childish. I would appreciate a response from you.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Scheduled a pickup and they cancelled it the day they were to arrive... "They overbooked". Re-scheduled only to find that they once again were a no show. Never again, Goodwill, though a for profit business, will get my donations.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

After being homeless for six month I got a apartment and Salvation Army helped me. I got vouchers for a sofa, two beds, drawers and kitchen table and chairs. I also got some plates and forks and things and a toaster. They helped me very much and were always very very nice even when my little girl was with me and crying.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I'm a Latin woman who felt discriminated by a ** women at the Salvation Army in Middle Village New York. I am a active supporter of this organization, because of my job, I spend a lot of time shopping for me and my family at that specific store. On Monday 10/29/2018 I was shopping like I always do, there was one my without any pricing for which I asked the manager on duty. She was very polite and priced the item for me and told me to tell the cashier. When I proceeded to pay, I try telling the cashier what the manager told me and she responded nasty, telling me that nobody will tell her how to do her job and to go away if I don't like it. I was so confused because there was no need for her to get like that. I felt she doesn't like Latin people, If so what is she doing there???

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Wanted to donate a couch, double bed and upholstered chair to the Salvation Army. The couch was a three piece sectional that had been in my living room virtually unused. The bed was a complete mattress and box spring that had been used once and the chair was perfect. The couch had no stains or tears but probably needed to be cleaned. After I spent the morning moving all the items out to the driveway to make it easier for them, they decided that none of those items were good enough for them. I had been using them in my house - the only reason I was donating them was because I was downsizing and didn't have room in my new place. I called Habitat for Humanity and they welcomed the donation and thanked me for helping them. The Salvation Army apparently doesn't want anything unless it's brand new. Will never donate to them again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

On Friday (10-21-18) approx. 4:00 pm est, I went over to the Jewelry counter (2nd time this has happened!) and I found an awesome necklace, only to find as I searched the glass case, the matching set of earrings were SEPARATE from necklace!! This also happened in the Spring 2018 with a bracelet & necklace. I confronted the manager (female), I said, "Why are y'all separating this Jewelry?" She indicated she was going home, but that they have their orders how to handle SA goods, said to talk with the assist. manager (male) taking over for her. She didn't leave!! However, DID partake in the belittlement of my integrity. I said, "SA gets this stuff for FREE and turn around only to separate items to make MORE $$... are you kidding me???" She then replied: "We are here for a good cause!" I said "What good cause... And just whose pockets are being fed good?!" Her eyebrows went up, as though to say eat it and then looked away.

I said, "It's a crying shame that SA is suppose to be here for indigent that can't afford to buy retail, only to find that y'all are making a killing off of FREE GOODS! This is CRIMINAL!" The foolish assist. Manager (young kid-guy) said "well if you don't like shopping here, you can always go somewhere else!" And when I had first approached him after she had told me he was now made an assistant manager I ACTUALLY CONGRATULATED THE IDIOT. I left them with the items as well as the top I was going to purchase and left. UNBELIEVABLY INDIGNANT CROOKS SA is. Sad day in America. God only knows what they're doing in other Countries to those folks!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have had to visit Salvation Army 3 times for assistance to be even listened to. I had issues being able to keep my car registered to complete my job seeking obligations. I was referred to Salvation Army by Salvation Army employment plus one week ago. I called to make an appointment but was told rudely that there was none available and I could not make one til they reopened at the end of the week, booking ahead is not permitted. I finally got an appointment on Friday. I was ignored on my arrival but after a long wait was interviewed.

The worker acted like she wanted to go home, she called there was no funds to help me with anything and suggested I see another agency 4 hours drive away or take out a loan (which I cannot pay). I called the other agency who sent me back to Salvation Army. Then again sent me away. On Monday I contacted my job agency and they sent me back to Salvation Army, it's now taken me a week to see anyone there. For 1 adult and 2 teens I was given some cereal and biscuits 2 onions, a few very small potatoes and that is supposed to be our meals for over a week.

I used to donated to Salvation Army but I refuse to now, when I see the price they charge in their thrift stores and yet they give next to nothing to the needy. I'm wondering where those funds are going and who exactly they are there to assist. The workers don't even pretend to care, they look like they don't even want to be there or talk to you. Sometimes, people just want to be listened to or have some advice but you won't receive it at Salvation Army.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I will NEVER donate to Salvation Army again! After waiting for weeks for their team to come pick up a beautiful, well maintained, 50 year old sideboard, SA refused to take the donation stating that the item didn't meet their standards! Everything was fine until I told the team that it was very heavy and to be careful. At that point, the man took out his phone and started taking pictures and called his supervisor. It was code for "I don't want to lift this item". The piece is so nice that I could easily sell it. And now I will. As my father always reminds me, "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED".

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've been going through some rough times. I'm out of work, can't get a good job and I need help financially. I have damage to my house (roof leaks) and broken water pipes. I contacted the Salvation Army and was turned down FLAT. I could use some help with utilities and they claimed that the nearest Salvation Army location was OUT of funds for that purpose! They told me to contact 211 for disaster relief. Been there, done that and didn't get help either. With the money they take in, you'd think they could offer SOME help??? I'll NEVER support the Salvation Army EVER!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The Salvation Army is the worst charity I have ever donated to. A friend had warned me. He said that him and his wife left expensive clothing in a donation. They realized it and went back within 15 minutes and were told "I'm sorry, they've been sold." 15 minutes. I was hardheaded and called them anyway. I had a beautiful dinette set and other items beautiful mirrors, clothing with tags still on, shoes never worn. They asked if I had a leaf for the dinette set so I asked them to leave. Find another charity to give your things to.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have a strong complaint about the staff at the Salvation Army. It was on 7/4/18 at 1:30 at 888 University Dr. Pembroke Pine FL. Cashier very rude. We had an item that had a different price and she accused me off changing the price which I did not. I told the manager to look at the camera and see that was the price that was on it. It was streamed embarrassing. I need someone to get to me an apology. Also, I was a regular customer which I will not be going to that store any longer. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My fault for not looking at the reviews before I arranged to donate all my furniture in my apartment in Wilmington. After I scheduled to donate all my furniture and kitchen items to the Salvation Army, I suffered a ruptured disc in my lower back that required me to be hospitalized. I contacted my apartment building manager to let the driver in and pick up everything in the apartment since my lease had expired and notified the Salvation Army dispatch to contact the manager to let them in. After lying to me the first time that he went by the apartment office and there was nobody there I rescheduled it only to find out from the apartment manager the following day that the driver said he couldn't pick up the furniture without me being there which they never mentioned before. At the end I was left scrambling to find a salvage company to get rid of my furniture because I had to continue paying for the apartment. THEY ARE USELESS!!!

Original review: May 29, 2018

Today I visited the Clovis California branch Salvation Army store as I often do and have always appreciated the kind customer service I received from them. However today I found in their "eyeglass basket" (where they put all the eyeglasses) a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses so I looked them over. Usually their eyeglasses are a dollar and their cases are a dollar so I thought nothing of it being priced at $3.49 because after all they were Ray Bans! They looked a bit cheap so thought maybe they could be a knockoff, just not sure but anyway after doing a brief research decided to take a chance and buy them anyway. I am experienced in eyeglasses but this one just had me stumped as to quality.

Got to the cash register and a young man whom I have never seen before says "Oh I have to double check this price, because these are RAY BANS! I looked at my relative puzzled as I wasn't aware that Salvation Army policy is as quoted by this employee "they could change that price on me if they want and don't have to sell them to me at that price." I told him I don't think you are right about that, you guys priced them and put them out on the floor and now think you can just charge more because you think they are more "valuable." He says, "Yep, we don't have to sell them as per policy." Okay I must admit I was a bit ticked off as he loudly exclaimed, "these are over $400 glasses" which I know they are definitely not! Anyway he handed them off to another employee who went ahead and sold them to me but said "that was SA policy" Which I thought later "Then why did you sell them to me?"

This Salvation Army store seemed to always have good integrity so I just could not believe these two "new employees" would actually think they could act that way and try to change up the prices on merchandise people bring to the checkout simply because they thought it was worth more. Oh and when I disagreed with the employee's $400 value and questioned if they were even real Ray Bans, he says "are you insulting my selling ability or knowledge?" Of which I appropriately answered "yes to both" needless to say this left a bitter taste with me for this experience there and too bad because I go there often and also donate to this store only. I guess I will be donating elsewhere from now on.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I scheduled a pick up for 5/23/18. They picked up a few boxes and left many appropriate items behind claiming they were not in good condition. They lied and stated that a Laura Ashley very expensive chair in very condition had a cigarette burn on it which was a total lie! It's just heavy! They left boxes of books and items that were brand new with price tags on them from the Pottery Barn! I was told that when they decide they aren't going to take some things they leave appropriate items left behind. What sense does that make? I have always donated to the Salvation Army but will never again!!!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had a pick scheduled today. I called this morning after 7 AM as they told me to do so so I can know the pickup window. They said it is between 12 - 3 pm. So I took today off and put all furniture in the living room. I waited till 3.50 and nobody called or showed up. I called the number in the email they sent me when I scheduled the pickup, and 20 mins waiting, the lady said: "Sorry, but the driver canceled the pickup, and they don't have space anymore." I asked her, "Why didn't they call me?" She said, "I don't know. Please call the dispatch." I called the rehab to put me through to the dispatch, nobody picked up. I called the rehab again and he said that there is nobody in the dispatch, but call again.

I left a voicemail and called the customer service again after 15 mins waiting, another lady told me that the drivers don't carry cell phones. I asked her: "Do they cancel their appointments without telling people?" She was so unprofessional and all over the place with her answers. She said more than 4 times: "I can schedule for next week," and I kept asking her: "How do I know if they are going to cancel?" She also said that the driver's decision to accept or not accept the furniture. And since I live on the 2nd floor, they won't take the donation, unless I leave them outside the building. I asked her again, "How do I know that they are going to come in to pick them up?" Her answers are mechanic with 0 empathy or understanding. I am super frustrated. This is the worst service.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I scheduled a pickup to donate multiple household furnishings which I thought could have been useful to your organization. I received a call from a rude SA worker during my business hours. He was rude, loud and left me on the phone for long periods of time with no explanation. During the week of my pickup which was supposed to occur on 5/18/18, I received several more calls, some telling me they could pick up my donation because I was donating too many items, others confirming that the truck would be here for the pick-up as scheduled. By late afternoon on 5/18/18, no SA pick-up. I checked the website and say a notation that the pick-up occurred at 9:545 AM. I called the customer service number and was told I should have called earlier as there was nothing they could do at this point and I would "have to wait" until 5/23/18 when it was convenient for SA to pick up my large order.

When I expressed my frustration and advised about the previous rude SA employee, I was told "no one has been rude to you". I have never encountered a more ungrateful non-profit organization. Can you survive without charitable donations? This my second written complaint. I sent the first one via the email on your website and never received a response. We routinely donate to the SA, but not anymore. I will tell everyone about this negative experience and tell them to donate elsewhere. You should train your employees to respect donors and educate them on how non-profit organizations function and survive or NOT. I have never been treated so dismissively when trying to do something to benefit others.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I first want to point out that I am a 70 yr old disabled female. It took me 3 weeks to clean out my shed and subsequently stack the 17 boxes in front of my house for pickup. There was also an armoire which was, admittedly, not in the best of shape, and I was doubtful that they would take it. On the day of pickup I sat at my desk as they placed paperwork on my door and left before I could even get to the door. The paper they left stated they were unable to pick up because of "condition or type of item."

Okay, so that accounts for the armoire, but what about everything else? I had 8 boxes of nearly new hardcover books, a bag of freshly laundered clothing, a box of handbags, 2 boxes of misc. wires, chargers, remotes, etc., a Guitar Hero game, a Band Hero game, 2 computer monitors, 3 printers, window screens, etc. I immediately emailed the SA, voicing my complaint, and have yet to receive a response. Have they become so 'successful' that they have no regard for anyone?

Does the "discretion of the driver" now mean that they have the right to be disrespectful and "lazy?" In lieu of their failure to pick up the items, I had to spend another day removing the items from my yard and putting them in my car to donate them to another charity. I was raised in the SA, but I will NEVER rely on them again, and will refer my donations elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I scheduled a donation pick up a month out due to their schedule online. I called and asked if my neighbor can let them in the garage. I was told yes. The day of my schedule pick up I was told by a rude dispatcher named Tracie my neighbor couldn’t let them in. She stated if I can get Home in 25 min. they will still pick up. I explain I’m 30-45 min away but my husband may can get there before I could. She asked his name. I told her let me call him first. When I called her back literally 3 min later she canceled my donation pick up. I don’t understand the logic when someone is donating to the organization that is to help others.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

This is a donation service who doesn’t seem to value sincere donation. I called to check a particular nearby drop off place, whether or not it’s open in the weekend. The staff gave another address, I said thank you, but there’s another place much nearer. Staff right away became impatient insisting she only had ONE record of drop off place and NOT WILLING to check or put forward (let alone showing gratitude) my feedback on the missing info of that other nearer place. I wonder if this is the culture there. Shame.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

To Whom it May Concern: I went to the location in Chicago, Illinois on Clybourne. The date was 11/30/2017. Within the last year I have frequent with locations with friends and gotten some valuable items that I’m quite pleased with. This particular day I went in the store in the latter part of the afternoon/early evening with no coat no bags just myself and my wallet. This particular day I was searching for an record player. No plans to purchase anything more. Well in reality I got in the store and lost focused and saw other things which included two of the items that I found on the regular racks (not from the boutique section). One item was not priced so an employee got the item priced for me and another item the tag was obviously damaged.

Needless to say at check out I discussed this with the (very kind cashier) Karen. She told me due to the one tag being damaged she could not sell to me and she questioned the other item because it was not priced correctly. (It was a boutique item not a regular store item.) No problem. As I was walking out I realized my receipt was incorrect. I was overcharged for two items and not charged for one item in my basket. My total was well over $100. One charge was for one of the items I couldn’t purchase. She actually rang it up ($14.99) however never removed off my purchase order and the other was for an item I decided I no longer wanted instead of the item I did want. (I knew it was a simple mistake because Karen and I were chit chatting about another item I was purchasing which distracted the both of us.

I voluntarily went to the (very kind) manager on duty (Daryl) whom was speaking to another female employee at the time. I told both parties the situation since they were standing right next to each other. He explained to me that he could not refund my money but could give me a credit and if I saw something I could use my credit... AGAIN. That was No problem!! With all of this being said I asked was there any way I could get the items that couldn’t be sold to me tagged correctly so I could purchase them that day those items I really wanted. The female that was speaking with the manager at the time (Takisha) went on to say that wasn’t possible. It had to go through a process and would not be able to be sold until the next day.

I asked Takisha then does she happen to know what time will the items be processed to be placed back on the floor the next day and is she sure it wasn’t any way they could be tagged at that time only because in the past something that wasn’t priced etc I have seen it done in that store for others. Moving forward after the conversation (again I had no bags no coat just myself and my wallet along with the items in my cart) Takisha asked me for my receipt. (I provided the receipt to her as she requested with no problem.)

Takisha decides to go through all my items in the cart. Compared them to the receipt, found the item that had not been rung up (mind you that is ONE of the reasons I brought it to the manager along with the overcharges in the first place). States to me "Well there is an item that you werent charged for which was half off of 19.99." (Now we all know half off of 19.99 is not 14.99 which I pointed out to her. Then Takisha said "Well she accidentally gave you 25% off and I said that couldn’t be either because normally when they give the discount of 50 or 25% it clearly states that on the receipt which was not on it. It was obvious I was charged for the item that an employee had tagged for me of $14.99. The charges I had on my receipt that was in question was 14.99 (the item I wanted that I couldn’t get) and another amount for the item that I didn’t want.

Takisha subtracted the item from my credit leaving me a credit of $10 that I had to sign for in the logbook for store credits. Now after all of this time I was in the store, bought all of this stuff, got to the car and realized what I went in there for which was the record player I didn’t even look to see if they had one. Lol. So I put my items in the car and went back in to look to see if they had a record player. Now this is what gets me. As I was walking out saw 2 more items that I liked and purchased those items as well. Now what gets insane is at this time I was totally unaware that this employee Takisha believed I tampered with the tags. I wasn’t aware of this as of yet. No one said anything to me regarding them thinking I tampered with the tags. How I was enlightened that she believed it was me I learned later in an extreme unfortunate way.

Next Day. Dec 1, 2017. Went back to the store around the time Takisha stated to find the items (around noon 1pm latest). Went to the proper section she stated they were going to be in (the boutique section). I asked the employee working the area at the time... had she seen these items (even described them to her). Mind you she was putting out clothes at this time. She told me NO & walked off. The employee watched me go through each and every rack in that section. I just happen to glance over and one of the very same items she claimed she had NEVER seen. Sure enough she had one of them. Now this annoyed me which led me to asking her what was her name (she stated Rakita). I go to ask her after that about the other article which was some pants that should have been tagged with this shirt.

I questioned her, "Have you seen those... Because you already told me you hadn’t seen this top and clearly that was a lie." While this is transpiring here comes Takisha the woman from the night before. Now I’m not going to say she came up there due to me now. I am assuming now she came up there because I have recently discovered her and Rakita are good friends. I asked Takisha about the other item. She claimed she doesn’t recall what the pants even looked like whatsoever. However when the boutique tagger came up to the front Takisha described the pants down to the color and the material. Second problem if you don’t recall, how did you just described them? Which made me ask Takisha what was her name.

Moving on... the boutique tagger asked me the brand of pants etc and he would go look to see in the back. Takisha walked back there with him. I waiting a good 10 min. Takisha comes from the back eventually and said to me verbatim if he finds them he won’t be able to give them to me until he fills up an entire rack and brings the rack out. A few more minutes passed he comes out I inquire did he see them. He states no. I told him then that I felt this was being done intentionally. It was quite obvious that the scenario wasn’t right. I already realized at this point in time I wasn’t being provided the item INTENTIONALLY. However I couldn’t pinpoint was it due to them wanting the item or what the true issue was.

I go to the register to purchase the shirt. I told the cashier I have a credit. She goes to the log book and there is no credit log sheet from the night before that could be located. Let them tell it. I asked them to contact a manager which the cashier did. The cashier asked whomever she was on the phone with was I provided a credit. Apparently she was told yes however whomever she spoke with told her I needed to have my identification and the actual credit receipt. I just so happen to have this credit receipt in my vehicle so I went outside (overly annoyed as I should be), went back to the car, got the receipt. Went back to the cashier which she took it for their records. I purchased the top but not the other item because it was nowhere to be found. Let the associates tell it.

So now we come to Dec 30th 2017. Went in there at approximately 358 pm... was not in there 10 min. A random associate walks up to me and states she was informed that I was told by a manager I was not able to purchase anything from the store anymore. Now I was totally thrown off. I asked for what reason and the employee states verbatim she doesn’t know why. After being told this, I proceed to say to her I will need for her to have a manager provide me of a reason why along with what manager and a date that this transpired because I was not aware of anything of this.

A few minutes later a manager by the name of Lorena (alongside with security) both totally clueless of this matter states, "Well the employee said you was told by another manager that you were banned from the store." I go on to ask, "What employee told you this and what manager did I speak with because I was just in here within this month and I know nothing of this." I also ask what date did this occur and is there a witness or paperwork but no one has informed me of anything.

The next thing you know here comes Rakita. (Now mind you this isn’t in a back office or off to the side. This conversation was brought to me in front of customers on the floor while I’m looking through a rack of clothes.) It is myself, manager, security and all these customers. Rakita goes on to say in customer view and hearing distance I was told by a Demetrius that I was banned from the store (I have never had a conversation with a Demetrius ever and don’t even know what Demetrius looks like by the way). Then Rakita goes on to say I was caught switching tags then I left out, came back in the store, switched tags again and purchased.

At this point I’m pissed. Because THE EMPLOYEE (no intervention from management might I add... Management allowed her to continue with this story in front of customers) accusing me of switching tags twice in 1 day. That made no sense which led me to ask, "If that is the case if I switched tags the first time how was I allowed to purchase over 100 dollars worth of stuff then you guys messed up my bill. I voluntarily bring it to you guys attention and I get a credit. Then go to my car, put my items up, come back and then purchase again?!" That alone made no sense... then she continues still in front of customers at the point TO WHERE NOW customers ARE RECORDING THIS ON THEIR CELLPHONES goes to say I knew I’ve been banned and that is why I had not been in the store for a while. ANOTHER BOLD FACE LIE.

So now I said, "Okay let’s cease all of this and let’s review the tapes." I asked this at least 3 times questioning, "There are tapes correct? Better yet you should have a log book. If I was banned how did I come in the next day and purchase again if I was banned for switching tags. How did all of this occur and there was no police called. I wasn’t escorted out. No anything? How did I come in the very next day and saw you and Takisha and purchase if I was told that I was banned."

Rakita admitted I was in the store and purchased the very next day as well but that apparently was not an indicator that her story didn’t quite add up then to the manager. Now at this point it has escalated. There is back & forth and security said to me I’m making a scene yet you allow your employee to over talk management and do this in public to a customer. Let alone it’s me thats making the scene yet you allow your employee to state verbatim yea she talked quote on quote ** about me and Takisha (employee used profanity mind you) regarding intentionally not giving her items.

I questioned Rakita at that point yet again, "What did I have to say have anything to do with the issue at hand unless the real issue is the reason why you are coming up with this is due to you being mad because I called you out that day and asked your names?!" Rakita goes to throw up her hand??? As **as she wants to be and said anyways and continue talking again with no intervention from management! The security said to me I won’t allow her to talk and no in my opinion why would I. She isn’t management. The employee should not be allowed to say anything to a customer or address a customer about anything nor should it have been allowed to even go that far let alone in public!

Furthermore who is Demetrius. I never spoke to him and where are the witness of this and on what day did he tell me this?! No one had any clue or could or was willing to produce what I had asked for! After this being said another girl comes out someone that was not even around the day I was there not to my knowledge by the name of Kearra vouches for this foolery of a story of Rakita’s stating everyone knows about this. I go on to say if everyone knows then how come this manager is unaware and I am unaware and there is no log or tapes so I proceed to say let’s go ahead and call Demetrius. They eventually call Demetrius.

Lorena speaks with him, asked him did he ban anyone, he apparently doesn’t recall so then Rakita goes "Let me speak to him" and the manager passes her the phone. Rakita proceeds to say "remember that girl" and goes to provide him a description of me (doesn’t know my name or anything), goes into the scenario (still people are recording). This is all done with management there and ends the conversation, "Yes. It’s the girl we were telling you about. Yea her." Moral of the story Demetrius supports the lie and states he told me he banned me after I never had a conversation with him whatsoever. I even requested the credit log to prove I had been in there the very same month.

I was told by Lorena the store doesn’t keep records of the credit logs. Another lie. I also requested corporate's number for Rakita to chime in and say to me verbatim, "Girl stop it!! You aren’t calling corporate," (yet again in public) leading me to say to her, "You don’t know me like that," for her to respond with, "You don’t know me like that!!!" This all occurred in front of management and yet again management had yet to cease her unprofessional behavior. So now my question posed is what kind of establishment are you really running? Is this how you are treating your customers that also makes donations?! (It appears this isn’t the first time for this kind of shenanigans.) It also appears the employees takes things personal when they are called out and takes things in the matter of their own hands.

Lorena nicely provided me corporate's number and names and I left as requested. The amount of HUMILIATION IS INDESCRIBABLE AND TO KNOW THAT ALL OF THIS WAS RECORDED BY CUSTOMERS IS UNACCEPTABLE. Leading me to consult legally for me to also find out not only is Takisha (the first girl) is a manager and it gets better is good friends with Rakita and the girl that vouched Kearra. Not to mention I have also learned how the lie was supported by this regional manager that I had never spoke to by the name of Demetrius. I couldn’t quite understand how did he support this lie of his employee. Well the answer is because they are all very good friends with him as well to where I have a proof of that.

How is this behavior condoned in the workplace and how many people is this done to is now the question? Do the employees have personal issues to the people that they label that acts like a snob because that is what Rakita insinuated when she stated in her argument in front of customers yet again with no intervention by management! VERBATIM per Rakita, "I walk around the store like I run the place since people flirt with me." I take that as personal vendetta by this one particular young lady and I say that for numerous reasonings.

Is it because I’m ** and she feels I think I’m better than by her smart aleck remarks that she was nervy enough to mention in my face. Esp when I know for a fact that there was a person stealing yet they were not banned but I’m falsely accused by a clique of friends (heck it was so bad I had to question do they know me outside of the establishment) more than once in a day of tag switching, no viable proof, allowed to purchase both times given a credit and came back another day purchased yet again but was lied on that I was banned.

Then to make matters worse your employee stated I was informed of being banned. Nothing of that occurred! IS THIS WHAT YOUR ORGANIZATION SUPPORTS?! I’m am outraged and utterly humiliated. Not only am I twice their senior in age and could care less about who they think thinks I’m attractive or flirts as the employee felt the need to bring to attention which is irrelevant and childish! I work in the political public eye thats starters and this was recorded by customers. I also own an successful business in the Chicago land area and something of this caliber can tarnish my name due to false accusations. THIS HAS TO CEASE!

I can just imagine whom else they have done this too. Some of your employees in that store not all need better customer service training and their attitudes is horrible and **. The last thing I need to do is switch a damn tag. That’s the last thing I need to do and my question I pose now is with what because I came in there with not a damn thing just myself and my wallet!!! The behavior from the employee was quite unprofessional and uncouth and is a disappointment for the organization representation. Unbelievable and a disgrace!!! It was embarrassing and this nonsense has to stop! I have attached the initial receipt I took a picture the day of and you can see behind it they gave me a 10 credit slip. I no longer have that. They took it for their records when I purchased the next day.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We recently moved and have a lot of big furniture, patio set, BBQ grill, etc. to donate. It’s great stuff, we just don’t have the room for it. So I scheduled a pick up nearly 6 weeks ago. It was the ONLY day available!!! I followed the directions and left my items outside in the driveway with a sign that said SA. At 5pm, I came home from work to find it had just started raining and my items still sitting outside. The truck pulled up a few minutes afterward and one guy got out and said it was wet, they couldn’t take it. He went back to the truck and they started leaving! I’m sure he just wanted to get home, it was 5:10 on a Friday night! Terrible service. My phone rang and it was the Salvation Army pickup office and the lady repeated that they won’t take wet items and, this is what really gets me, she said, “in addition, there was no one home and no sign left on your items marked for Salvation Army”.

I responded with, “Oh, really? It’s after 5pm, you should’ve been here earlier, before it rained and by the way, There is a sign on my items and I’m home, watching your truck leave right now.” Click, she hung up. I don’t see how wet patio furniture or a grill would be a problem. I am now so frustrated after I could’ve put it outside weeks ago for a free pick up but I tried to be nice and donate it to a good cause. I won’t do that again. How can you plan the weather or being home when they give you 1 day they can pick up? And they don’t tell you what time they’re coming! What a joke. I could have left it all in my garage as I was here when they finally came!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

You were supposed to pick up a big screen TV on 10/2/2017. You did not show so now I have taken it off the porch and will be taking it for trash pick up next week but I am sure someone will stop out road and pick this up before then. The tv does work and I am sick of waiting on you. If you did not want it you should have said so. Good thing heavy trash pickup is next week. Will never donate to you again. Your people do not show. You did the same thing when we had you picking up at my mom who passed 3 years ago. You did not show. Called you back. Donated a lot of stuff. I know they are volunteers but they are not dependable.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I lined up a donation pickup online on 9/11/17. It stated that the items were in a garage, they were the only items in the garage and we would leave the door open with a sign that said "SA" on it. 11 days later they called me to state that they need someone 18 or older there because they couldn't set foot in the garage. I told them with only 4 days notice I didn't' know if I could find someone. They stated they'd put my pickup "on hold" and to call back when I found someone.

I called back two days later, was on hold 27 minutes and finally hung up. Called back Monday morning and Alonzo told me that my order was still in the system and to hold and he'd call Dispatch to make sure we could get it back on the schedule for Tuesday. He came back and confirmed they could and someone would be there between 7:30 and 3:00. I gave him a new contact number for the person who was taking off of work to meet them. I later looked online and confirmed my pickup was not scheduled.

Tuesday morning SA calls the number that I give them and hangs up. We call back and they state our pickup had been canceled. I called them back to ask why and they were very rude and stated I had canceled it the week before, which I had not, I had put it on hold. Then I talked to the same person again after being on hold 20 minutes (Alonzo) and he said that there was a mistake no one could come until Thursday. I explained that wouldn't work. We had a demolition crew coming Wed to tear down the garage that this stuff was in and it had to go today. I had lined up the crew, the dumpster and the person to meet them there Tuesday AFTER I talked to him on Monday. He was very unsympathetic and said there was nothing he could do.

I asked to talk to his supervisor. They put me over to dispatch and this man was very short with me and wouldn't let me explain my story and how this was their mistake, not mine and that I was in a bind because I needed to get this done to get my mom's house on the market who had passed away. He told me to drag the stuff outside. I told him it was going to rain and it would be in the way of the demolition crew. He got short with me and said "Home Depot sells tarps, I am sure you can go buy some!" I got mad at that point and told him that this was their mistake and they should send a truck out today, like they had promised. He said my town wasn't even part of their area anymore.

I stated the website said it was and he said "Oh well... That's a national site... We're local, it's a recent change." Then he told me that I was the problem, not him because I wouldn't agree to Thursday's pickup. I hung up at that point. I then arranged to haul the 3 truckloads of stuff to my local thrift shop and I vowed to NEVER use Salvation Army again!

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Information