3.6/5 (75 ratings)

About Salvation Army Thrift Stores

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salvation Army Thrift Stores?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I schedule a pick up with the Salvation Army to pick up my sister's mattress ($399) I bought from Firm Mattress company. The mattress hasn't got much use because she was uncomfortable laying on it. All it had is a little stain caused by sweating. I have already washed it and is not unsanitary. I put the mattress on the porch and put the SA sign out on the railing. Well, I noticed that they didn't take the mattress so we made a call to find out why. They told us that it has stain in it. I couldn't believe it and am furious. What about all the homeless people who were out in the streets and they come in get clean and so on but they wouldn't take the mattress? Things wasn't they used to be years ago. That really stink.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

None of the instructions I gave in the online donation form were followed. There was no notice before their arrival in the morning even though I was called days before and told that they are supposed to call before they arrive. The couch I was donating is in excellent condition but needed a vacuuming prior to pick up. Because they did not follow any of the instructions that I put in the request or their own instructions I did not have time to do this quick vacuum and then they did not pick up the product. They also knocked on the front door of home which I specifically had asked them not to do in the instructions by stating "knock on back door." I would not recommend this service to anyone. It is a waste of time. Anything you ask will be ignored. And they do not do what they say.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Awful! We are moving and I scheduled a donation pickup one month before the scheduled pickup date. The day of pickup they called and cancelled. Made arrangements to pickup next day. On that day, they called and cancelled again. Awful Awful Awful. Not donating to this organization ever again! Awful unempathetic people! I had to give them a star so I pushed one BUT if the option could have been ZERO, that’s what I would have pushed!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

So I had SA come to pick up a number of pieces of furniture and they deemed some of them to be too "used" to accept. I understand that as they are planning to resell the items and it may not be successful if the items are too worn. However, I had an armoire that was in pristine condition and they would not take it. They thought the distressed design of the item (which is designed to be an antique reproduction) indicated that it was in bad shape. I tried to explain to them that the item was suppose to look that way and was in fact identical looking to the day I bought it and they said I was incorrect (I guess lying) and they refused to take it.

I needed to have everything out of the house that day and with their refusal, had no plan for how to deal with the armoire. I tried calling the driver's supervisor but he was just as stubborn and kept suggesting that the piece was "worn out" and not suitable for the store. It was incredibly frustrating. You may not like the distressed style but I had no idea the SA would refuse a style. Won't be dealing with the SA in the future. Just not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

This was the worst experience I have ever had dealing with a company. I had scheduled a pick up for Thursday between the hours of 9 to 12. They did not come. Called the company, first they said they could not find my appointment. Then after waiting, they finally found my appointment. They finally showed up at 2. Walked in, looked at my furniture and said they would not accept my furniture. It was not in excellent condition and they just walked out. Prior to scheduling the pickup, as request sent them a picture of the furniture which clearly shows the sofa started to peel as bonded leather will do. I would never advise anyone to do any type of business with this company. The workers were extremely rude.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Salvation Army was scheduled to be here today and my wife told me they will call 30mins before pickup. I got a call from my wife while I was still sleeping at home that Salvation Army was at the door...! I was surprised because what they told us was that, they would call before 30mins before they showed up. I manage to wake up and went downstairs to open the door. I came out in the cold and the driver was still sitting in his truck looking at me through his side mirrors. I walked back to my door hoping he has seen me and would walk to the door which is did. I opened the door and said hello..., he responded and asked if he could see the two fridges I wanted to donate. I said ok and that, he will need to take off his factory/warehouse boots or use something to cover his boots or come in with his socks which is not unusual for people coming into my house and the very light type of rugs in my house which we maintain very expensively.

The Driver holding the papers in his hand actually said a NO and requested I move the rug aside. I had no problem doing that for the hallway rug which I said to him, But the second fridge is in the basement rugged wall to wall and there's no way we will move that rug NOR will I let his factory boots and his fellow driver boots walk on my clean rugs with their factory boots and if there's a way he can cover the boots with some nylon? He responded with…"THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO GET YOUR STUFF THEN..."

It's a very SAD Experience! These drivers call the shot! They did exactly the same last year. We donated a new Queen size bed. The first driver that came said there was a minor scratch on the side of the headboard which wasn't visible and he couldn't pick it up which I think was pure laziness! My wife called Salvation Army and Another driver showed up 3days later and said there was nothing wrong with the bed. He picked it up with great appreciation. I just cannot soil or mess up my well maintained rugs because I'm trying to give out items that will be of great help to someone out there. Every drivers sent out there to pickup an item for Salvation Army should learn how to exemplify the Salvation Army Mission of trying to help someone out there. These drivers should show character bigger/greater than themselves.

My perception today reflects individuals trying to tell me 'they are doing me a favor' picking up my donated items. I decided NOT to donate it to them because, it's the other way around. People has to feel they're doing a noble thing donating to people in need. I'm just disappointed because, this is not the first time I have had to deal with these kinds of drivers from Salvation Army. This is just the first time I've chosen to express this. I hope drivers like this don't end up destroying the great reputation of Salvation Army.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

After posting some items on Craigslist for sale, I decided I would just donate the furniture to the Salvation Army. I donated a couch, an entertainment center, and several decorative cabinets. I purchased the furniture from Ikea and it was all in perfect condition except for the coffee table. I am aware that most moving companies have a disclaimer about Ikea furniture. However, all of the furniture was put together by Ikea experts and I myself moved this furniture once with no issues.

On the day they picked up my items I thought all was fine. Then as they were wrapping up one of the drivers thought it was important to tell me they usually don't take Ikea furniture and that all my items would probably wind up in the trash. Again, they had finished loading my items at this point so it was not as if I was given the opportunity to change my mind about donating. And personally, I felt the statement was not Christianly. It was in fact very mean to tell me after they had loaded all of my perfect furniture that they were going to dispose of it.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

They do no help people as much as they claim. A while ago 15yrs I lost my job and home I had a 6 month old baby and wife I turned to them for a little help and lo and behold they would not help my family because we are **, yet another ** family got all kinds of help. Sad thing is to this day when I see them collecting money in kettles at Christmas I give money hoping it is going to help someone in need. After all it's only Christian like. This happened at the Williamsport Salvation Army. I personally feel that they show favoritism to certain groups not races. It is likely it may have just been the colonel was just an **, I sure hope he has never been that heartless to any other being. I hope this year at Christmas time people have humanity in their hearts and help someone who may need it, I know I will. Even though I suspect that there is a lot of pocketing money in that organization. God knows who's honest and who is not. I hope this helps someone.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I scheduled a pick up of a desk and hutch a few weeks ago. The pick up was scheduled for November 4. Today is November 9 and they still have not shown up. The desk has been outside covered with a tarp all week long. How long do I wait before giving up?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I left two plastic bags with the receipt for pick up taped to them. On the other side of my porch, I had a bright yellow dry cleaning back for pick up service. Salvation Army took that with the other bags. Now, we are out 20 of my husband's dress shirts and a few pants because they were careless. I will not call them again as they cannot be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Contacted Salvation Army to donate a Love Seat, Sofa Sleeper and dresser. All are in good condition. When the 2 men came out to pick up said they could not take because the love seat and couch were faded from the sun and the dresser had a little wood chipped at the bottom side. Dresser was beautiful and couch was in excellent condition. Someone in real need could have put a couch cover on it and have a perfectly good piece of furniture. It’s like they only accept new things. This is a thrift store for Pete sake. I would have killed for this type of furniture for my first apartment. I will never contact, donate or recommend the Salvation Army again. They are definitely not working for the people in need. What a shame.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

This company sells your donated product for top dollar! I called to donate my like new dresser that has a small scratch on it. They tell me that they cannot take it. Seriously, it's a thrift store for God sake not a new furniture store. The furniture was hardly used. It's bad enough that I don't shop there because it's too expensive but then I try to donate and you want the furniture to be perfect. I really hope this store goes out of business soon!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have scheduled pickups in the past but today I was so disappointed. I had a solid oak desk and shelving unit and a few odds and ends to donate. The desk was a very nice piece of furniture. I arranged my schedule twice around a pickup because of the desk and when they showed up for delivery (which I waited all day for) they told me they didn't take furniture. I had waited all day for a delivery truck to pick up a few boxes that I could have easily taken myself. The fact that they didn't inform me when I set up delivery has caused me a day wasted waiting and I missed other events because I was not available because I need this desk removed to clear space. I don't know if I will donate again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

In Bellingham WA, the Salvation Army Thrift Store USED to be the best Thrift store in the county. 2 yrs ago, they put an older woman in charge. She changed everything in the store. Nancy decides on prices that cost more than if you were to buy brand new. Rumor has it that the store is closing in 3 months. The actual manager asks customers what she should do to turn around business, but then does the opposite. It's as though Salvation Army WANTS this store to close because the 2 older women running the place are literally running the store into the ground. I've watched employees just walk off the job mid shift because of the insanity.

The really sad thing is that the revenue from this store actually goes into a fund for very low income families for help. They dont help a lot, but they have kept many off of the street, clothed many in need and been a really neat store to find fair bargains at, UNTIL 2 YRS AGO. They have spent the last 2 yrs repricing literal garbage. They spend more money on dump runs from moldy destroyed donations than they make in a whole month! The older gals, Nancy and Sara, are terrible at their jobs. The hostile work environment is all gossip and laziness. All of the volunteers quit, even paid employees quit after they cant take it anymore.

Shame on the 2 women who have taken a really great place and turned it into a failure. I'm happy to shop elsewhere and I will NEVER SET FOOT IN THAT STORE AGAIN, unless Nancy and Sara are no longer there. I've been shopping there for 10 yrs now, and quite frequently!! It's disappointing to overhear old bitty banter about employees, volunteers, gossip about the church and upper management. I'm not a soap opera fan, so I don't find their casual, unprofessional ways amusing.

The absolute worst part is that without that store, there will be no funding for those most in need in our community. These 2 could care less. They knowingly overprice broken, moldy, torn, stained garbage. Kinda seems like these 2 are TRYING to get this store shutdown. Wish Salvation Army would fire the problems, and hire people who dont give special pricing to their personal friends and family, while overcharging thru the roof for the counties dumpster items. It really used to be such a wonderful store!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I was so glad to have Salvation Army come and pick up my donations. They were very courteous and helpful. It really blessed me to know my mom's things were going to a good charity. I would definitely schedule again for large donations.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Helpful sales people and lots of products. All kinds of products. You can return items if necessary. Good prices on most all items. Large selection of household goods. A lot of locations in various cities.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We scheduled a pick up for several larger items and boxes of household goods. The pick up guy was argumentative and didn't really want to take anything. He left a like new love seat, 3 shelves, and boxes of dishes that were easily salable. He was upset that everything was not itemized on his order from dispatch. He stated all they really wanted was clothes, and that he would be penalized by Elk River sorting center if he brought in anything else. We packed up the car and dropped everything off at Goodwill where they were thrilled. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

6432 Rising Sun Ave. I was shopping at the Salvation Army on Rising Sun Ave yesterday in Philadelphia, Pa. I LOVE thrift stores shopping. My 5 yr old daughter left her cellphone in the store. So I go back and tell the cashier, my daughter left her phone. I can clearly see it from where I am. The MANAGER tells me I have to wait. SHE COUNTING CASH. Patiently, after 20 mins w/ my child having to go to the bathroom the lady walks off. I bangs on the glass and ask can she just pass me her phone. She screamings, "WE CLOSE." I AM HEATED NOW. I CALLED THE COPS. I staked out the front and told my husband to come and stake the BACK!!

She wasn't leaving WITHOUT giving me my daughter's phone. SHE LIES and said there was no phone there. SHE turns the lights OFF so you couldn't see. She didn't know I took a photo of my phone sitting there prior. I SHOWED IT TO THE COPS.. I told the officer, "She lying. My daughter phone is right there." She was heated because the cops told her to give the phone. The officer took his flashlight and could clearly see the PHONE. I waited for 45 mins with my child in the heat and this is how people do people!!! The Salvation Army will hear a word or TWO from me tomorrow!! AND I will never patronize one again!! The manager told the cops to tell me not to come back again. The nerves. I was the victim and ban me? I have contacted management and no one has returned my call. Next will be the media.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a gift certificate for a friend who thrifts regularly from the Eugene Store. It closed. The manager told us to go to a corporate store. Coos Bay, they refused to honor the gift certificate. I guess they can't afford to honor $25 worth of crap they got for free in the first place. I sure as hell won't be ringing the bell next xmas, or donating.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I scheduled a pick up online for 5 items to be picked up in mid June. When I contacted the Salvation Army directly I was told they don’t take mattresses yet it is included on their website. I completed the form and thought my items would be picked up on the scheduled date. The furniture to be picked up was at a home no one currently lives in and is 25 miles from my home. My husband and I called on the pick up date to see if all items were picked up and the lady informed us that the driver got lost and would be still picking up our furniture on that day. No one texted us to let us know that our furniture had not been picked up. We found out 4 days later from a family member who drove by the house that the furniture was still on the driveway. We contacted Salvation Army to find out what happened and not one of the four people could explain why the furniture had not been picked up.

The driver took a picture of door knob and no one could explain why that picture was taken. After talking with these people one person informed us that the driver would not take the furniture because there were stains and they could not be sold. After a few minutes on the phone with these people we were so frustrated that no one apologized or appeared to care that the furniture had not picked up. We decided to drive the 25 miles to take it to the Goodwill store near the home. The young man was happy to receive our furniture and even mentioned that they would sell easily. There were no stains on this furniture and there was no reason why they weren’t picked up. We have always thought of this organization as being one that we’d want to donate our items to, but after this experience I will never use them again.

Original review: July 18, 2019

After all the bad reviews I was hesitant to schedule a pickup. I filled out the online form and for my mattress/box spring and bed frame. The day before my scheduled pickup, I was able to call and was given a time window of 11am-2pm (I never had an issue getting through to a person to ask, in fact it was easier than I thought to get to the right person). The truck showed up at 11:45, and I showed them the bed frame and mattress. I should mention that this was up on the second floor. They happily took my mattress and box spring -- I had a mattress protector on it, and it was barely used so it looked brand new. Then I gave them a screwdriver and they broke the frame down, and hauled it all out. One of them gave me a receipt and they were done within 15 minutes!! I'm glad that someone will get use out of my barely used full size bed, and after this experience I wouldn't hesitate to schedule another donation with them in the future.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I shop all second hand stores wherever I am, and also donate. I have recently noticed an attitude change in management and also in some help. They often act like they are NOT in the selling and service industry, and are doing a huge service to LET YOU purchase their items, which, as we all know, are donated to help others. Yesterday I went up to purchase a gauze jumpsuit and a couple of other things. There was a $3.99 price tag but it must have fallen off, and I couldn't find it when I was at the register, but despite every person including management knowing me BY NAME and knowing I shop there first and regularly and probably spend more than almost any other customer they have, they refused to sell the jumpsuit (for ANY price).

I talked to acting management and was told it had to be sent back to a town an hour away for pricing, but might be able to be held until the real manager came in this morning, since she has some pricing discretion, as she has often told me. I left it behind the counter with them and returned at opening this morning. It was nowhere to be found, and had been sent back, they said. Thinking about it later, I realized the truck hadn't been there, so it couldn't have gone anywhere, so I returned and pointed that out NICELY, at which time they said it had been "ragged out" in a bin in the back and would be trashed. I offered $20 for them to go get it out but they refused. I also offered to go get it myself, but of course that was impossible. The attitude has been very much AGAINST the customer lately, and I have watched theft (reported it and management was changed), unnecessary meanness, and even racism from management toward paying customers.

I don't know why they think the customers are not important, or undeserving of respect, as well as the people who donate, but that is definitely the attitude of late. I have already stopped donating there, and now have to decide whether I should continue to shop and spend money there. Plus, if something is valuable, in many stores, it will never make it to the floor and goes home with employees or out the back door with their friends. And they are very suspicious of people who they feel are finding "great" deals. They don't like it. Absolutely not the way the stores should be operated.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I have been turned away with thousands of dollars in items- leather jacket, wool overcoat, silver serving set, silk kimonos, and Samsonite luggage set (2 full sets). Things have to be boxed they say, then, "Oh we don't take that..." The website doesn't list any of these stipulations. I have never been treated like that ever and especially at a Salvation Army location. I will never donate to them again. Barre Vermont Salvation Army you blew for all the others and that is a shame the items I have to give are worth a lot of money and could have helped many but not anymore.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Scheduled I pick up 2 months ago under armoire/wardrobe. It's in great condition. The crew showed up - tried to say they don't take them anymore then when I called them on it saying it's on the website they said they can't sell it in the store because it's "too big". They just left after waiting 2 ** months! Not the first time I've been let down by the "Salvation" Army. Never having anything to do with them again and definitely telling any and everyone to do the same!!! "Salvation" Army more like selective help for those they deem fit and quick to make a quick buck but not wanting to do the work. DO NOT RECOMMEND! Better to go out and help people yourself or to a shelter.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Sometimes people have to forgive themselves for a lifetime of deceit a single person caused another pain and changed the life of someone else's. So thank Alonzo clothes and furniture and the items for my new apartment and the life I was entitled to since birth. Bridget

Original review: June 26, 2019

We purchased new furniture and wanted to donate the older items that were in very good condition. After calling and verifying, as well as going online, we were told the items could be accepted. Granted, they were not in new condition, but as I stated before, they were in good condition, and we didn't want to just dump them in the alley for trash pickup when someone could use them. When they arrived, the drivers immediately said "Oh, we can't take that." They said there were scratches on the front. There are no scratches on the items at all. This was a total waste of time and I guarantee that I will not do business with them again. I now either have to find another place to donate or toss them. Sad!

Original review: June 17, 2019

Well over a month ago I schedule, online, a pick-up of 12 items. All of the 12 items were in great shape and on their drop down list of items they wanted. After dragging the items out onto my driveway, when the pick-up truck arrived I was told they would take only 1 item. The rest were not needed even though there were similar item already on the truck. I called the Newark NJ office to discuss my frustration and was told the list is an "international" list and that not all pick-up centers have to accept or need everything on the drop down list. They said they tried to call me to tell me they could not take everything, but could not reach me. Which is false because I got a call the day before confirming the pick up. I was left having to drag everything back into my garage. Bottom line they don't want to do their job!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I explained what I had available and when the drivers came they found reasons to not take either my mattress or refrigerator. The mattress was completely clean and had only been used for guests. The refrigerator was clean and working. They refused both items when they got here. Salvation Army gets their donated items for free and yet they insist they must be perfect to be picked up. Find a different charity to use.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Scheduled with Salvation Army for a pick up of most of the contents of our deceased mother’s apartment, flat screen tv, blu ray player, boxes and boxes of books, convection oven, misc. household goods. They gave us a date and that morning, a three hour window. So we took off work, went to the apartment and waited. When no one came, I called and was told the driver had run out of room on the truck and wouldn’t be picking our items up. They would reschedule. Frustrating, but we rescheduled. Again called the morning of, got a window, took off work, went to the apartment and waited. This time the driver came, to tell us AGAIN he’d run out of room on the truck and wouldn’t be taking any of our items. What??? How can they do this to people? Especially people who are grieving, and are only trying to possibly help the SA help others.

Original review: May 31, 2019

While shopping at the thrift store, I found a sleeping bag I wanted to purchase. The price tag apparently fell off on my way to the register. I explained to the lady that there were 3 more sleeping bags for sale and they are all the same price. She said " I can't sell it to you without the tag." I said "ok, well let me go back and see if I can find it on the floor somewhere." She said, "No! Hand me the sleeping bag, I can't sell it to you. We have to send it to the downtown office and have a price tag put back on it." REALLY?? They would rather spend more money in gas driving it back downtown to have a price tag placed on it than they would have made off me purchasing it! It was only 14.99! And to think I was just trying to help them out by shopping there... I will never go back.

Salvation Army Thrift Stores Company Information