3.81/5

133 Marshalls Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 7, 2019

I went to Marshalls at Montrose Crossing Rockville Pike, On 7/3/2019 around 3 pm. I was checked out at register 7. I forgot my LV checkered brown wallet/coin purse at register 7. I went to Party City on Rockville Pike to Purchased Birthday balloons. I realize when I went to the cash register that my wallet was nowhere to be found. Last place I were with my wallet was at Marshalls. I called the store and I placed on hold and then the manager on duty came on the phone. I explained to her that I was at the store ten minutes ago and I forget my wallet at the register where I were checked out.

I drove back to Marshalls and the manager told me no wallet was found, so I asked to review the store Surveillance. She told me that there were no lost prevention associate working on that day. I told the manager that I were going to notify the police to make a report about the incident. Meanwhile I was standing there talking to the manager when the same employee whom I suspected of taking my wallet shift ended. She came to the manager with a plastic bag and said to the manager, "Check my bag. I’m leaving," but her handbag was never checked by the manager. That didn’t sit well with me.

The police officer showed up. I explained what happened to the officer who then went into the store to see if lost prevention can review the cameras only for the manager on duty to tell the officer that the cameras have been down for three weeks. She should’ve just told me the truth, but I believe she told the officer that lie because she knew that old lady stole my wallet and it’s a bad look on the company if the police found out it’s one of Marshalls store associates. My Fourth of July was ruined by this incident.

Original review: July 4, 2019

The Marshalls in West Los Angeles at Olympic and Sawtelle is the best run in the company. The merchandise is always professionally displayed and I never fail to buy more than I expected. We live much closer to the Marshalls in Culver City, but make the drive to this one since it's the best one around. Kudos to the management. Keep up the great work!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I went to the Marshalls on Hall Road in Sterling Hts to see about getting some pillow shams. Well for one thing the store is over crowded with merchandise, which would be good if they had room to go down the isles with your cart. I couldnt find any shams so I found a shower curtain instead. Continued to shop in the pet isle so I left my cart at the end of the isle so I could just walk down and look at things. So I went back to get my cart and it was gone shower curtain and all. I've had this happen at this store several times. I was told by the clerk they go around taking carts when they see them alone. Well I wouldnt leave my cart if you could get down the isles. So I'm not going back to that Marshalls again.. I can see why internet shopping is taking over.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I went into Marshalls in the Fiesta Marketplace Shopping Center at 419 E. Mother's Day. I started at the Shoes, then Fragrances, Purses, Wallets (which I needed because the zipper on mine had broken). The whole time I was being followed by sales associates, then managers, then the security guard... who if I'm not mistaken, is supposed to be stationed at the front of the store to catch people that shoplift?? He ended up in the purse section, (which I found strange). Anyway, my cart was pretty full as I had found things for my husband, my daughter, my mom, and I was, like I said, actively looking for a really cute Mother's Day outfit!!

When I shop for something particular, I buy the top, the jeans, the shoes, and of course, the purse and appropriate fragrance. I'm a very picky/particular woman and when I am going to a family function, or ANYWHERE for that matter, I always look my best. Marshalls carries Michael Kors, which is one of my favorite brands/designers, as well as Betsey Johnson. The prices are really reasonable, and I only use Betsey Johnson wallets. I'm only pointing this out because I am reiterating the fact that I'm a very particular/picky woman and shopper. I don't go out much, because I suffer from Severe Anxiety Disorder as well as OCD. So, when I shop, I get exactly what I want, and I take my time picking everything out.

I was in the women's clothing section looking through all the various tops as I had found several pairs of jeans that I wanted which were in my cart and the last thing I needed to find was that perfect top. I felt really awkward trying to put the clothing up to my body because, one, they have no dressing rooms, and two, I was afraid to even ASK for assistance because these "sales associates" were extremely UNAPPROACHABLE. The security guard would not take his eyes off of me. I didn't know if he was being creepy or looking to see if I was going to steal something, but I could literally FEEL him staring at me, which doesn't agree with my severe anxiety.

I was sweating profusely, and my stomach was totally nauseated. I've never stolen anything in my life. I've never stolen from them, obviously, and I never would!! I had my purse in plain view in the front of the cart and I wasn't acting suspicious or anything. I was just very very aware of every single eye in the store on me. As uncomfortable as I was, I was going to finish my shopping. I took my compact out of my purse and began to put some powder on my nose and look at my makeup to see if maybe I looked bad, or my mascara was running..something to show me why they were all watching me so intently. I'm very obsessive about making sure that everything is perfect and matches, which is why I take so long in stores. I like to shop, I love looking at EVERYTHING. I start from the front and I make my way all the way through the store.. that's what I DO! I can spend up to four hours inside of Walmart.

I was aware that I had been in the store for about an hour and a half, there were certain customers in there when I came in and were there longer than I was, and we're still there but nobody was looking at them. Mind you, this is a 90% Hispanic area and me being **, I felt as though I was being profiled from the second I walked in, because this is not the first time I have been treated like absolute garbage in that store. They have treated my husband and I unfairly and disrespectfully. They've treated my friends like criminals/shoplifters as well.

I have worked in retail, loss prevention, customer service, human resources, and I've actually trained employees, so I know that this kind of behavior towards customers is completely unacceptable in this kind of retail environment. Something must be done about this IMMEDIATELY because this behavior is a representation of ALL TJX Companies!! I really believe that these people need a human resources 101 training class and they need to realize that they are in customer service and if they don't like dealing with people than they probably shouldn't. They act as though they haven't received ANY kind of training WHATSOEVER. I was mortified at what happened next.

The store manager approached me and said, "Ma'am you can't do that here." I looked at him in disbelief. "I can't do what here?" I asked. He said, "Whatever it is that you're doing, you just can't do it." The security guard was approaching us like there was going to be a situation. I weigh one hundred pounds, the store manager is a grown man...what situation could he possibly need to attend to?! So I asked him, "I'm not allowed to fix my makeup as I look for an outfit?" He answered me, "No, you can't." I said, "Excuse me? This is a free country and I can do whatever I want in this store. I'm a customer and I spend a lot of money in here. I've never stolen from here or stolen anything from anywhere." He then replied, "It's not about freedom. It's about perception, and you've been in the store for almost two hours and your cart is full, so it looks bad. I'm going to have to call the police if you don't leave."

I was shocked at this absurd accusation!!! I told him, "So your perception of me is that because I'm ** and have tattoos and because I've been in here for a whole two hours, that I'm stealing? Wow.." Needless to say, I was embarrassed, upset, angry and confused.. Who in their right mind, as a store manager, thinks it's okay to treat customers like that??? I'm going to complain through every avenue that I possibly can everyday until something happens. I'm going to make sure that I file complaints to everybody under this corporate umbrella, post reviews and tell anybody who will listen. Already emailed the OC Register, and I'm going to post on Yelp, Foursquare, etc. Jennifer **

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I was told by the sales clerk that because the sneakers I wanted to buy didn't have shoe strings that could get an additional discount on the sale. When I went to the cashier and asked about the additional discount because no strings...I was told that was not her problem and I couldn't get a discount. I asked to speak with a manager. I was told by the cashier that I could not. So I seen a gentleman behind the counter and asked him and he told yes and told the cashier to give me an additional 5% off. Which was ok with me. Then she told him no. "It's discounted enough already". He told her again to apply the discount then he was called by another employee. Then cashier said "I'm not doing it and walked away". The cashier next to her stated that she was sorry for what happened and complete the transaction. I called the store once I got home. The Marshalls in New York 125st store between Lenox Ave & 7 Ave.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marshalls?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

On 2/2/19, a little after 4 in the afternoon, I was at the Marshalls in Princeton, NJ looking at shoes. I found one pair of Unisa boots that I liked and went to try it on. The boots were in a box and I tried on the top shoe. When I lifted the paper to grab the other pair to try on, a dead mouse and some sort of dark colored brown residue was under the paper and on the shoe. I found someone in the shoe department and he took the box away with the dead mouse and one foot shoe, since I still had the top shoe on my foot. After being traumatized by the dead mouse, there was no way that I was buying a shoe that a mouse had crawled around, possibly defecated and died on. I went to customer service and explained the situation with the dead mouse and asked if she could call another store to see if they possibly had the boot in a size 10. I had no luck with that.

Anyway, I have spoken to many friends and family about this situation and they have all advised me to contact Marshalls. Or a consumer agency because of how the mouse situation was handled afterwards. I saw the guy that took away the box come back with the other foot. I spoke to him about being scared to try the size 9 shoe that was also in a box. In talking to him, I could see the boot he had taken away still had some of the brownish white residue on it still from the mouse. He put it back on the shelf and that is what bothers me. I would think they would damage it out or use some sort of cleaner to clean a boot. It didn't look like the boot was cleaned in any way and it was put out for someone else to buy as is. I think that is gross and unsanitary. Now, I will think twice before buying shoes from Marshalls and especially shoes in a box. I tried contacting Marshalls through their web page and I keep getting an error message and gave up.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I went to the Bishops Corner store in West Hartford Ct. I had a temporary credit card email in lieu of the new card on route 7-10 days. I had used the temp at the Newington Ct. Store. Mgr. Refused to accept my temporary card, canceled my transaction and lied and said the store does not have that capability and does not have that store policy. Until I called customer service on phone. Everything changed now. All of a sudden store has that capability. Tried to apologize and said she didn't know it was a new account. Lie. That's the first thing I said when she came to me. I totally feel I was treated this way because of my color.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I love this store because you can find unique, one of a kind gifts around the holidays and for a fairly cheaper price than other stores. Every time I go, I find something. Then if you go after Christmas, for their markdowns, you save even more. You can start next year's shopping now and be ahead of the game.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I purchased a perfume from Marshalls. I asked the store employee and cashier if I could return it if I didn’t like it they both said yes. Well two days later I called the store to let them know I would be returning it. The lady that answered the phone said she did not think so but she would check. Then she hung up on me. I called their corporate number and they said they do not accept returns on fragrances. The only was I could get a refund is if the manager for that district authorized it. They gave me his number. And I called, his secretary said he was busy. So more of the runaround. I tried to call the store back and the lady hangs up before I can even say hello. If it can’t be returned then say that so I know. I wanted an answer. What kind of store is this? I will never buy another fragrance from there.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I purchased 2 hair care products, thinking that I'd have a chance to try something new. I opened the products. The first one, the perfume odor made me sick. The 2nd one, I put little on my hair, but hated it. I brought them back to return. I was told that they were used and could not be returned. People stand in the store and try beauty products all the time! I was honest and for burned. Until now, I've shopped at Marshalls multiple times per month. I was just cured of my habit!

Marshalls Company Information