1.48/5
  • 1 star
Based on 86 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

108 Marshalls Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I had a great manager named Kerry in the Patchogue, NY store assist me with returning quite a few items. Everything had tags on it, but I didn't have receipts. Kerry was pleasant & very helpful with my return. Kerry ** an asset to the Marshalls company name! Thanks again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

MARSHALLS FAMILY. I shopped at your store Rehoboth Beach De. On 9/20. I live in Princess Anne, MD. On 9/30 upon checking my acct. for the month I saw two sales - my one for 70.87 and one other for 58.95 I did not recognize. I thought your store made an error and was charged for a sale that I did not make. So I called the store back on 9/30. I spoke with Brenda **, told her my story and how thought Marshalls was in error. She listened patiently took all my information and said she would get back to me. She has awesome people skills! Not once did she make me feel small or give me that condescending attitude (I'm like yeah right. I will never hear from this chick again). In the meantime I call my bank and they are looking to it as well.

WELL FAST FORWARD TO 10/6 1pm... less than a week later. Miss ** calls me back. They have located and checked the receipts and I did indeed swipe my card twice for the two sales within one minute of each other. I'm like, "Brenda I have accounted for all the merchandise the 70.87 purchase. Do you have me on camera actually taking the merchandise with me. Could I have possibly left it on the Counter?" Miss ** let me get loss prevention to take a look at that. 530pm SAME day Miss ** was on top of it, not only did I swipe my card twice AND take my merchandise, she told me exactly what I purchased.

When she said a little junior purple fur jacket. I stopped her, I said, "Brenda say no more! I know exactly what happened and I DO indeed have my merchandise." I apologized profusely OMG! What a senior dang moment. I just want to say Thank you too for your employees for going above and beyond for me when I was the one in the wrong. I have 5 Grandpeeps. I shop early for them. When I came home I immediately took my Xmas purchases to the attic for their individual bags. I went to upstairs to double check. There it was hanging up in all its glory my Marshall's purchase for 58.95! Once again I Thank you for your gracious employees. I am and will continue to be a faithful Marshalls shopper BY THE BY I have as yet to hear from my bank.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I was looking for a particular shirt and Lillian was a floor associate. I asked her if she could tell me where a certain shirt was. She SHOOED ME!!! Told me to look for it myself. Then a ** women was near. She asked her if she could help her. Really??? I felt disrespected as an ** woman to disregard my ask for assistance.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We got the credit card after being heavily talked into doing so by the cashier. Marshall's never followed up with a receipt, email, phone call, or bill in the mail to pay off the credit card balance (which was small). Finally following up a few months later as a normal busy schedule would permit, we found that the balance ballooned four times the initial value which we had been planning on paying immediately. The individual spoken to did not address our claims, and judging by the reviews of the company I'm absolutely not surprised. Moral of the story, don't get the Marshall's credit card.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I always shop at Marshalls and spend an easily $200 or more a week. Well, I went shopping this one day and I purchased lots of clothes for my husband and I told him that to try it out to see if he wanted to return everything. So he did and I returned a couple of shirts and a cologne that I forgot to check the inside and the cap was missing. Well, I somehow lost my receipt and I had paid with my credit card. She did not want to take my returns. I will never shop at Marshalls again so karma is a bitch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marshalls?

Original review: July 13, 2017

Just got a 50-60 ft junk popular taken down and debris removed. The guys had it down and completed in 3 hrs. Working in the rain. Left the place clean and were very professional. Definitely will use them for all our outdoor needs.

Original review: June 29, 2017

This seems to be a pretty common experience with Marshalls, no matter which store it is. I bought a Bluetooth speaker that had multiple alarm devices on it. One high tech one that took 4 different employees to get off of it, and one sticky tag that needed to be deactivated. Well it seems that one wasn't properly deactivated and the alarm went off when I left. So I handed over my bags for them to see if a tag was left on and they ran them over the pad that deactivates those tags. So she does that and swings my bags back through the door, and the alarm doesn't sound. Instead of giving me my bags and letting me go she says "It's not the bags, now you walk through".

Um, excuse me!?! Basically saying that I must have stolen something, even though she just ran my bags over the sensor that describes the security tags. Needless to say I'm pretty furious, and highly offended. I spend a lot of money at Marshalls sometimes, and they treat me like a thief when one of their employees forgets to describe the sensors?! Won't be going back to the Marshalls in Leominster, Mass anytime soon.

Original review: April 15, 2017

Never going back into the Marshalls on Federal Road! Very rude and unprofessional staff! This one Latina female did not know how to do an exchange. I asked, “why don't you just ask a manager to help you.” She rudely says, “I know what I am doing. I don't need one!” She ended up charging my credit card twice and practically throws the receipt to me. I should have reported her to her manager! Disgusting!

Original review: April 10, 2017

I had made a purchase at a TJ Maxx store in Sheboygan out two weeks prior. I realized that I bought the wrong size. I happened to be at a marshals store in Mequon and decided to return the item. The store clerk said that they do not take returns from TJ Maxx stores, which she said is their sister store, and that I needed to return it to a TJ Maxx store! I asked why, when I pay for a gift card, and it has both stores on the card, and I can use said cards at both stores. Why was I not able to return a purchase at either store? She just said that's the way it is! Even though I had said that I had returned at both stores in the past, she said that was not possible! I would like to know the stores policy on returns!

Original review: March 20, 2017

I bought my son a shirt from Marshalls to wear on picture day. I got the shirt home and even though the shirt said large the fit was too small for my son and he never wore it on picture day because I did not have time to exchange it before picture day which was the next day. So he ended up wearing a shirt that he already had and when I took the shirt back to Marshalls they said the shirt had been worn and she turned the shirt all inside and out and there were built in dirt spots all under the armpits of the shirt which I never saw when I bought the overpriced shirt. But needless to say the cashier told me that she could not refund me the $25 for the shirt because it had been worn.

And I was taken aback because I know my son only had the shirt on for 1 minute to try it on and it didn't fit. And he took it right off so there is no way that he could have caused the built in oiliness and dirt that was under the armpits on the inside of that shirt. So I know someone wore that shirt and returned it and they put that dirty shirt back on the rack for sale after some cashier overlooked that and let someone return it. And I ended up being the one that bought it unaware of the stains on the inside under the armpits and now I am stuck with a shirt that my son can't wear because it fits entirely too small. So $25 down the drain.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I went to the register to pay and I had a regular price item of clothing and another one was on clearance. The cashier looked at the clearance and since the price was too low she started to look to see if I had changed the price tag. She even asked another cashier if she thought it was changed. I don't think it's appropriate for them to look so much and make the client feel like they're stealing.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I went to Marshalls on Jamaica ave, Queens, NY, a few hours ago, around 7 pm. While waiting in line there was only one cashier, out of about ten, working and the rest were not. I went to a lady who was supposed to help me pay and go, but she rudely screamed at me to go back in line, even though I was the only one left. I told her I had to go quickly for my meter is expiring, she would not listen! I left leaving the stuff behind. I secured my car and then went back. I wasn't going back but I thought that the other employees were not the same. Wrong. I was to discover that they were all the same. I will never be back again. Affordability means nothing if you are to be rude!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I wanted to do a layaway, I waited for like 30 minutes. Nobody paid any attention to me even after I let three employees know that I needed to be attended. I decided to go to the front of the store to make a complaint and that is when things got worse. There's a clerk name Gabriel that was the most disrespectful man ever. This guy talk to me in a way that reminded me of the treatment you get when you are in a place run by the government. All pushy and defiance. Whatever happened to the phrase the customer is always right!! Course I let this dude know that he was being rude but he could care less. I did not buy anything and I'm not planning to visit or buy in this store again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

When I came to the Marshalls in the Polaris location today I heard people talking about us as soon as we walked in on their headsets to keep an eye on us. My boyfriend and I came to shop but felt uncomfortable because everyone kept watching us. I left spending $30 and went to TJ Maxx and spent $460. You guys shouldn't be so stereotypical, just because we're a young minority couple doesn't mean we are coming to steal.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I purchased a GUESS purse for $49.99 at Marshalls on Saturday, 10/29/16. I went out to eat that night and then on Monday when I went to go to work and looked at my purse, it was all coming apart on the front. I got my price tag and receipt and along with the damaged purse, attempted to return it to the Rockville, MD Marshalls store. The clerk frowned and got the manager, Eric **, who told me I had the WRONG ticket that did not come off of that purse. I informed him that, yes it did. He insisted it did not, and blatantly all but called me a thief and a liar. This is absurd. The ticket matched the receipt, the cashier was on hand, yet I was not permitted to ask her and she tried FOUR times to get the plastic antitheft device off the purse, so I figured she would remember.

Eric, the manager, smugly smiled at me and said, smirkingly, that "NO it was NOT the ticket that came on the product," even though I informed him that it WAS on the purse that I purchased, wrong ticket or not, it was what was on it upon purchase. Needless to say I will NOT forget this RIPOFF management and will go to corporate or to court or BOTH. Management at Marshalls under Eric ** is HORRIBLE and someone PLEASE train HIM in customer service and management?!?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

Me and my wife come in for shoes and we meet very helpful and friendly staff. She help us out. Me and my wife, we want to thank you Barbara for help. Now my wife she told me we be back for this store if we have to do any purchase.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

A few months ago I made a purchase at Marshall's in Turnersville,NJ....as it turned out I had picked up 3 items that were very similar in style to things I already had... I never even tried these items on the tags were all on the garments, my only problem was I misplaced my receipt.... I didn't think I would have a problem since I had just purchased the items no more than 2 hours before...

I couldn't have been more wrong...after waiting online for 10 minutes this woman behind the counter motions me to come forward and I proceed to explain my situation to her explaining everything including that I had just been there 2 hours before.... She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't care that the tags were still on the garments, I needed a receipt to have the money refunded back to my card but, that she could give me a store gift card.... I kept 3 other items... I am a Marshalls card holder... I frequent this store at least once a week... (not anymore) don't understand what was so difficult but the most disturbing part of this encounter was when I had asked to speak to the Store Manager she informed me she was the store manager (which judging by her appearance and demeanor I didn't believe it) I will be paying off my card and never intend to visit this store again.

Original review: July 20, 2016

Purchased a comforter, on Clearance, FULL of BED BUGS!!! Bed Bugs then INFESTED my entire home. Returned comforter. Managers didn't care. According to Corporate office, they did EVERYTHING WRONG. Never filed insurance claim. When they were told to, I received call from Zurich Insurance Adjuster, who basically called me a LIAR, BERATED & HARASSED me to tears. Spoke to a different adjuster, who said 1st Adjuster was SO OUT OF LINE. All he said was PROVE IT, PROVE IT, over and over. It CAN be proven, on store video, just watching me when returning comforter.

I am a 55 yr old 100% disabled women now sleeping on hardwood flooring, barely sleep, full of white scars from bites etc. Feel like I'm losing my mind. Had to throw out bed, couch, zero $$ for exterminator. BEWARE. NEVER PURCHASE BEDDING OF ANY KIND FROM MARSHALLS, ESPECIALLY IF ON CLEARANCE! I STILL haven't received ANY empathy, nor compensation for the thousands of $$ I've lost!!! Marshalls, YOU'RE PATHETIC!

Original review: July 8, 2016

In the Austell, GA store I found a pair of shoes on clearance. When I went to checkout, they told me that they needed an additional tag, and could not honor the price on them. They found a second pair and insisted I pay that higher price. I told them their ticketing error was not my fault. This is dishonest, misrepresenting pricing. I won't shop here anymore.

Original review: July 3, 2016

We stopped into Marshalls HomeGoods to purchase a list of items, knowing your excellent quality and selection. Upon arrival I inquired if a wheelchair was available as my mother has trouble walking long-distance without a walker and somewhere to sit. Mind you on the doors are the large blue handicap accessible stickers. I was told "No we don't have the motorized carts." No problem. Just a wheelchair would be fine. "No we don't have one of those either!" Come on guys. You're missing a huge part of the population! For about $79 and a 8" by 3' spot? Are you kidding? We left spending our $400 between Kohl's, who has a wheelchair and Target who has the motorized carts! It is not just little old ladies. With the men coming back from war, you're also doing them a disservice. Please look into getting a couple of wheelchairs at least for your customers, the ones who are a "top priority". It would be a win win!

Updated on 07/09/2016: Here is the response to a complaint of no wheelchairs the handicapped. WOW!! "Thank you for contacting Marshalls Customer Service regarding motorized shopping carts and wheelchairs in our stores. We apologize for the delay in responding to you. We are very sensitive to the needs of people with disabilities. We have carefully considered providing wheelchairs and motorized carts for our customers and have decided not to offer these in our stores at this time. That said, we will continue to evaluate the matter in the future."

"However, our Store Management teams will make every effort to do whatever is necessary to assist you or any of our customers at any time. As you may have seen in our stores, we have signage for people with disabilities indicating that if a customer requires assistance, he/she should ask one of our associates, they are always glad to help. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to contact us and for sharing your concerns. You are a valued customer, and we look forward to seeing you in the stores again soon."

Original review: June 19, 2016

I didn't know so much Marshalls store before but Some my friends are big Marshalls fan. They used to West 125th St and Broadway store so I join to go with them sometimes. Good quality and nice brand of the item there and all items are happy price!!! So many people go shopping Marshalls is popularity store. Please do not say complaints!!! Such as fancy shops of arrangement or wish to same like a high class store. This store seem like a discount store. When I go to Marshalls, always find something good item was to come at a happy price. We also went to the shop of it since TJ, but there are more shopping at Marshalls.

But Recently we experienced the unpleasant situation in the Mistake of a person's recently cash register of employees Broadway Marshalls store!!! It was purchased a few items for my family's gift and I gave them already but... When I back to home once again see the receipt I noticed that cashier double charge the same product. So We explained the contents on the phone to the store. They ask me to bring receipt and back to store because to refund the wrong amount of money. For the cash register of the mistake, we must go back to the store. OMG.

Also it takes transportation costs and time up there. But will have to correct the amount of money. It was again explained to show the receipt to the person of the cash register to go to the store. But women of the cash register, did not immediately suspected refund because it does not have the items bought. The register lady ask Store Manager then The Manager Lady told to her Okay let refund. To the number of the same items, such should be understood that it is immediately mistake from are twice cashier beating. And surprisingly, what is more unpleasant is that They never apologize to customers by embarrassed annoying mistake of employee. I want you to hire a professional employee who received more shop of education. It was not happy day!!!

Original review: June 11, 2016

On June 6, 2016 at approximately 6 p.m. I visited the Marshalls store located at 310 E. H Street in the Terra Nova Shopping Center. The reason for my visit was to purchase conditioner and essential oils. I found the essential oil I was in search of, a rejuvenation mix, however, to my dismay the seal was broken on the bottle and it was the only one in stock. When I arrived at the register I informed the cashier, **, that the particular bottle I was intending to purchase had already been opened and some of the oil appeared to be missing and I wished to receive their standard damage discount because of this. ** examined the bottle and confirmed that it was opened but stated that in her opinion none of the oil inside was missing and she did not feel it warranted a discount.

I stated that I had in fact purchased numerous bottles of that particular oil brand and they are generally fuller, but in any case the seal was broken thus warranting a damage discount. ** then told my husband and I to wait a moment and she left her station. She returned after quite a few minutes with four separate essential oil bottles (none of which were the same brand or mix as the one I was wanting to purchase) and held them up for my husband and me to see and said "see, this bottle is no lower than these, so we can't give you a discount just because the seal is broken". I told her I no longer wanted the bottle in that case, to which she responded rudely and placed the bottle to the side and completed my transaction.

Just after leaving the store, I called and requested a manager to be put on the line. ** then answered the phone and I explained my situation to her. In response, ** put me on hold to speak with ** regarding the situation. When ** returned she stated ** had done what she was supposed to and shown me, the customer, that the product I wanted to purchase with a damage discount didn't warrant a discount. We spoke for a few minutes longer, during which ** continued to justify **'s actions. I requested **'s name as well as **'s name and told her I felt very disparaged after both the treatment I was given in store as well as the treatment I was being given from **. Only then did she say that maybe ** handled the situation incorrectly but did not apologize for her own ill-mannered behavior during our phone call.

I feel that the quality of customer service being given in the particular store is in direct response to the management team after conversing with **. Both ** and ** felt that the 50 cent discount requested by a customer for an item that was in fact opened and slightly used was too unreasonable. The level of customer service at this store is terrible. The managers are clearly untrained and care only about making their own associates happy.

Original review: June 5, 2016

I purchased a discounted skin care product that had a security box outside the box before purchasing! The plastic wrap was perfectly intact. Looked like never opened before that gave you the sense that just a brand new product. A week later, I opened the plastic wrap... I was in total shock!!! There was an empty eyeglass case instead of the skin care product that I expected.

When I returned to the store and talked to the store manager in Dedham MA. She just refunded the money but claimed that she never saw this happened before. I said "how could the customers shop here to trust what they bought inside the package was what it said outside the box." Was it a scam? I feel like I was being set up. I have a professional job, but felt like being set up as a "theft" and couldn't believe this company was selling this "product" to the customer. It's true that customers expect discounted price products here but the products inside the package were exactly what it said outside the package! I will never go back again as I just lost trust in this company. Shop at your own risk if you can't see what's inside the package!

Original review: May 24, 2016

I have a TJM credit card... when I want to return something I bought at Marshalls, I have to go back to Marshalls to return it. I have a card for all 3 stores. Why can't I return it at either store. It makes me very angry not to return it to either store. All stores are affiliated... Please change your policy...

Original review: May 5, 2016

I went to Marshalls in Greenville, TX and this lady watched and followed me and my son around the store. We went there to find a yellow and black shirt for my boys, which I found. Even after she saw us in line to pay for the shirts she still continued to watch us, until we left the store. I will never go back to that store again!!! Every ** person that comes in a store is not a thief!!! She never once followed any of the ** ppl in the store. Those other ppl in the store could have taken whatever they wanted, because she was so busy watching ** ppl who don't steal and not the ** ppl who could have been stealing. ** are not the only race that steal!!

Original review: April 13, 2016

I know Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, and HomeGoods are all separate companies under one name. I have always found similar items at the same price, between Marshalls and T.J. Maxx. New Marshalls in E. Naples FL, opened 4/1/16. I found luggage that I wanted, but no price. Not another like it in the store. Clerk says "I will price it." I thought the price seems high (and new employee) and she bluntly said "Well, do you want it?" She made up a price. I bought it for $49.99, telling her 1) it did not seem like a Marshalls price, 2) I was going to keep my receipt, and 3) check other stores and the Internet.

Later, I found the exact same merchandise at T.J. Maxx, Naples FL, same color, but $10 less. I wanted both pieces, but a credit on the Marshalls receipt when I paid $10 too much. While in Port Charlotte FL, I had both pieces and receipts with me, and proceeded to explain to Diego, why I felt I was owed a credit. Diego turned to manager Bruce, and I explained. Bruce said Marshalls and T.J. Maxx were separate stores with separate pricing, and he would not give me a $10 credit. I felt this was inconsistent among sister companies where I could use the same TJX charge card for Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, and HomeGoods companies.

The associate in the original transaction just randomly made up the price. It was later explained to me that in Marshalls' merchandising protocol, that there was no way to look up a price on a piece of merchandise, when there was no other in the store exactly like it. Manager Bruce, could have credited me $10 for a fair transaction and customer service.

Original review: March 31, 2016

12/24/15 I purchased 16 items, for $217.00 of merchandise at store #273 the Metro Colma Mall. On 3/22/16 I returned Five items. I had the receipt and all merchandise had store tags attached. There was a pair of athletic pants which was on the receipt with tags attached $15.00 I wanted to return. The cashier Catherine started looking at me and the merchandise strange. The manager was approving the returns and Catherine, cashier started to claim the merchandise did not match the tags. Well I could not believe THIS. The manager Mike then decided to decline the return of the $15.00 athletic pants... Claiming the same reason. I could not believe this. A clerk overriding a management decision!

I explained I did not know what happen but the merchandise and tags were exactly how I purchased them, and the purchase was on the receipt. Well the cashier Catherine started looking at me as if I was scum, and a thief. I asked to speak to the manager and Mike responded he is the manager. I asked for the district manager. He said that would be him. So I asked for the number to the Regional Manager and he gave me the number **. The number was always busy.

I have been a Marshalls Customer for over 15 years but if customer service consist of lies and bad management decisions I can spend the approximately $400-600 per month at Ross, Nordstroms Rack, or Loehmans and be treated with respect and consideration. You can thank Mike and Catherine for my quick exit of Marshalls. This is a difficult decision. I have always had very good service at all the Marshalls stores. This incident occurred over a week ago and I am still disturbed. I will be returning the items I purchased that day soon.

Original review: March 15, 2016

The cashier was horrendous. Couldn't even put my ** in the ** bags correctly. Then this ** tried asking me if I want a damn credit card. Like no ** I don't want a card. Then she kept asking me over and over and over and over. Like seriously? Then I went in the bathroom and there was green ** all over the floor. Truly made me want to puke. They have cheap ** here that breaks within a week. You're actually lucky if it doesn't break on ya way home! Lmfao so funny yet, so disappointed. NOBODY wants a ** card! Hate this place seriously.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

I live near Ossining, NY and sometimes go to Marshalls for perfume. 2 times I bought perfume where the wrapping stated women but it turned to be for a man. These items were rewrapped. I was told by the cashiers and a manager that they never rewrap anything which is a lie. I was able to return because I had the receipt and box. I again went to this store because I needed to buy a gift and bought a few bottles of perfume 2 for me and one for my niece as a gift. They were all wrapped and in boxes and the wrapping had the name, price and stated it was for WOMEN - I gave the gift to my niece and when she wore the perfume a couple of weeks later she was told by her friends it smells like a man's perfume. The wrapping said women not man - I did not have the receipt and she threw away the box.

When I called Marshalls woman answered and I asked to speak with a manager. She transfers me to a man. I asked for his name. He refused to give his name so I continued to explain that I bought a perfume that was wrapped stating it was a women's perfume but it was not it was for a man - he said if I did not have the receipt or the box he can't help me. I stated this happens all the time in this store. "I would like your name and the phone to your corporate office." He refused again to give me his name. VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I called the corporate phone #. Spoke with a woman who was professional and took my name and number and my complaint. She stated she would have the manager of the Marshalls store in Ossining, NY call me back. At this point I don't care about the perfume or getting my money back or store credit. The Marshalls in Ossining, NY customer service people as well as the man that stated he was a manager which I don't think he was they should be trained properly and the store and products if rewrapped should be wrapped correctly. This is the worst Marshalls that I have ever been to. It's messy and nothing is where it should be. Signs are incorrect - I SAY SHUT IT DOWN. Thank you. From an IRATE Customer.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

Store 1238. My friend and I went into Marshalls for her to return a jacket. The jacket still had the original tags attached and she did not have her receipt. I know for a fact she has not worn the item and it was sitting in a plastic bag for exactly 3 weeks. The cashier was new so he had to call the manager up to assist him the return which was fine, we didn't mind waiting. Once the manager approached the front of the store she was very rude as to saying my friend wore the item. Then she let the young gentleman step aside and create the marked down price with the handheld scanner while she assisted another customer.

My friend looked at me frustrated saying she never wore the item and that her attitude was uncalled for. The manager overheard her and left the customer she was assisting to come to my friends face and tell her that my friend had purchased a label gun and placed the tag back on the jacket after wearing it. My friend at this point did not care about getting her money back she just wanted them to know that she did not in fact wear the jacket and that she was providing horrible customer service.

I'm sorry but I worked at this exact Marshalls for a year and not once did any of our previous managers treat any customer with such disrespect no matter what the situation was. Not to mention that half the employees are always talking about partying amongst each other. I would rather shop at Wal-Mart than ever go back I'm here again.

Marshalls Company Information