1.49/5
Based on 99 reviews that contain star ratings

121 Marshalls Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I work about 4 miles away from the Midwest City, OK store location. I decided to grab some lunch in the area and run some errands. One of those errands was to return some dresses I had bought a few days prior. I decided to look around and eventually chose to purchase a few items. I went to the counter to return my things and purchase my new finds. Ivette was my cashier. She was unfriendly from the start. She immediately grabbed the verification scanner and scanned the first dress. A code popped up she didn't understand. She inspected the Marshalls tag and the dressmakers tag thoroughly. She proceeded to scan the next dress. Ivette examined both tags on the second dress and proceeds to call for the on duty manager, Shae. At this point, there are 10 people in line behind me and every single one of them is staring at me.

Shae informs me that she has no idea what the code is on the first dress. “The second dress doesn’t claim to be a Calvin Cline and is actually supposed to be black and white” she relays. I politely ask “Why is the fault placed on your customer, if the machine has an error and/or the wrong tag is on the merchandise?” Shae ignores my question, gathers up my returns and walks to the back with Ivette tagging along. I am left at the front desk feeling as though I have done something wrong by trying to return items which did not work for me.

Shae and Ivette return. Shae informs me the numbers do not match, there isn’t anything on the floor with those item numbers and I can try to take them to the store I purchased the items from if I like. Shae then walked away. I purchased over $100 of merchandise and asked for the store managers’ name. Ivette was obviously flustered; she could not understand what I was asking. I repeated myself two times and finally she gave me the name Hannah, but claims she did not know her last name.

Moral of the story… Marshalls treats their customers as if they are all thieves. The clothes were in perfect condition, obviously since I purchased them less than a week ago. I had my receipts. All maker and Marshall tags were attached. AND I was purchasing several more items. The staff had no problem embarrassing me and offered no solution other than to spend my gas and time going to another store. I WILL NOT shop at Marshalls again due to this ridiculous treatment. Homegoods and T.J. Maxx are very close to losing my business as well.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Well... just had my own "Shopping While **" situation at Marshall's yesterday that I found quite upsetting. I found a light fall jacket and brought it into the fitting room to try on. When I got there, I was told I could not try on the jacket in the fitting room and had to use the mirrors in the store to try it on. I thought that was kind of odd and said to the attendant incredulously, "Why not? It's CLOTHING! I want to try it on in private, not in the store, in front of everyone." She took the jacket from me and said she would hold it until I was done trying on my other things. A ** girl and her mother overheard our conversation, and asked the lady, "Why can't she try it on? You just let US try jackets on." Needless to say, I was PISSED and reported this to the store manager.

The manager apologized and confirmed that this was their policy. I told her, "That's fine, but then it needs to be consistent for all customers, not just me." She assured me she would handle it, but just in case she didn't, I shared my story on their FB page. Well... their Regional Manager just called me, and it turns out this is NOT their policy and never has been. The only items not allowed in the fitting room are jewelry or things from their houseware department. He apologized profusely, offered me a gift card for the jacket and said he would be at the store first thing tomorrow to speak to the managers and staff about their "made-up policy."

Retail racism is REAL. I have had so many experiences like this in my lifetime, (particularly in high end stores) and would usually just angrily walk out of the store without buying anything. Not anymore. I don't let ANYTHING go. These stores will continue to treat us this way if we don't stop them. Share your stories and report these clerks, cashiers, fitting room attendants and store managers. Thanks for reading.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Never again will I shop at Marshalls. I spend a lot of money on that store. I never return anything there, until I bought a pair of shoes, wore them for a couple hours and they broke to the point that they cannot be worn again. I took them back asking just for an exchange and they said no because unfortunately I threw away my receipt. (I never had an experience like that so I threw the receipt.) Their excuse is I had already worn the shoes. I asked for the manager and she was just as rude as the cashier and then I asked for the corporate phone number and they gave me a fake number. So I will spend my money somewhere else.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I thought when I departed that I should have looked at the receipt because the amount due sounded high. I was in a rush and when I got home (90 miles away) and compared the receipt to the price tags, I saw that the cashier had charged me twice for the same item. This experience occurred at the Marshalls in Richmond, Virginia off West Broad near Wistar Road.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I was at Vienna Marshalls today and a lady that works there, her name is Faatimi. She came to me and yelled, "Don't do that!" When I asked what are you talking about? She pointed at two blouses lying on the floor on the other end of the aisle. I hadn't even reach that part. I was shocked because she yelled on top of her voice and people looked at us... I was so embarrassed. I asked her how does she know that I did that and plus who gave her the right to talk to a customer like that! I complained to the manager but all this manager did is to tell me he was sorry that I was treated this way. I am so disappointed and upset.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marshalls?

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have shopped the Marshalls store in Manassas, VA a few times. None of the employees ever acknowledge you as a customer. When you ask questions the employees are rude & don’t want to be helpful. I have spoken to the store manager before, Connie, and she is just as rude as her employees if not worse it seems. How can you run a store and expect people to return unless the store manager is willing to correct problems and this store manager is not willing. I’m amazed this store even stays open with the way the store shelves are pure chaos. You have to be willing to hunt for a bargain to go into this store and then put up with horrible customer service. I think it is the worst I’ve ever experienced anywhere ever. This store manager needs to go through retraining along with her employees. I would never recommend this store to family or friends. It goes along with the saying... ”I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.”

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have been shopping in the stores and customers are bringing any size dogs into the store. I seen dogs in handbags or totes. I have seen dogs spread out in shopping carts. I have seen large dogs on leashes. Everyone is not pet friendly. I do not want to shop with noisy dogs, stinking dogs and dogs that have hair flying all around the store. I have an email from Marshalls stating that customers can bring any dog into the store as long as they are potty trained... They are not even concerned that some customers are allergic to dogs... On the window it says SERVICE ANIMALS WELCOME... does not say any type of dog.

Something really needs to be done about this. What will happen in the future when customers want to bring their cats, snakes, birds. and all different types of animals shopping with them. I have seen customers with their dogs in carts and you think they clean or wipe the carts when they are through? I once watched a women's dog urinate while in the cart, she kept shopping took her dog out when she was finished. Was it fair to the associate to have to clean up her dog's mess? Leave your dogs at home.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Marshalls on Rt 9 in Manalapan, NJ (store # 0595) the very rude service. All associates are angry. Never smile. Like today I went to return the Calvin Klein sports pants. I had a receipt, and tag was attached. But the cashier took my item and went to check was it stolen or not? On my question if something wrong? She started to lie. She was rude to me. Except to say sorry, she got more rude and smiled in sarcastic way. It happened not a first time in this store location. She knows the store policy. I felt like I am a thief. I'm going to talk all my family to do not going at this store anymore.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The shoe section has hardly any good selection. It used to have a nice shoe section but it looks horrible. Besides the selections it is set up horribly. It looks like the store employees don't maintain it. Now I'm only speaking of the location in Spectrum. The other Marshalls have a greater selection and is organized.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I was visiting Marshalls new where I live and look for some very specific shoes by Converse. The staff were very helpful and contacted the store in the north state just to find out the model for me. I was then brought with several options and sizes and was very pleased overall. They were on sale also and I gained a 40% discount! So it was a very good purchase.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Went to shop at Marshalls at Gateway Dr. Brooklyn NY. Mostly all employees were nice except for this nasty person with the nameplate of Shakira **. She was working at one of the registers there and I was at another register getting my items rung up. Needless to say, a lot of merchandise are missing price tags. I brought up 2 identical items and one was marked down and the other was not. So I asked my cashier to please do a price check on the items I have to purchase so that I know what amount I am paying for each item. So I also wanted to purchase an item the cashier had told me was also marked down and she went to get a new tag and this Shakira ** person told my cashier that I can not buy the item at the new current price because she accused me of returning the item. Which is totally untrue and false.

So I asked to speak to the manager on duty and I had her scan the item in question and she said the item is marked down and she placed a new sticker price on the box. So now my friendly cashier apologised for the way Shakira ** was making false accusations. So the cashier now continued to ring up my items and the MOD came back and said to me that I won't be able to purchase the item if I returned the item on the same day. So now I am fuming because this idiot Shakira ** is saying I returned the item and tried to purchase it again on the same day with the new price adjustment. So she is completely lying at this point because I did not return any item on this day. I went to this store to shop and make a purchase. Not a return.

There was no return of any item whatsoever processed on this day so she was being very rude and lying to the MOD because I ended up being able to purchase the item at its current sale price. So if anyone is to go to shop at this Marshall at Gateway Dr in Brooklyn. Be aware of this rude unprofessional lying employee that they have working for them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

This place had a horrible smell to it. I had made a purchase and the cashier had shorten me by $20. When I had informed them about this they told me they couldn't give me my money back due to the money drawer was only reading $5 over.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I just had the worst experience in customer service at Marshalls on 1585 Plymouth Rd, Minnetonka, MN. I went in to return a hat and cashier ** with bad attitude gave me a really hard time. After leaving the store, I called and explain the situation to store manager **. ** excuse was the cashiers were only being paid minimum wage and ** was sick.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I had a great manager named Kerry in the Patchogue, NY store assist me with returning quite a few items. Everything had tags on it, but I didn't have receipts. Kerry was pleasant & very helpful with my return. Kerry ** an asset to the Marshalls company name! Thanks again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

MARSHALLS FAMILY. I shopped at your store Rehoboth Beach De. On 9/20. I live in Princess Anne, MD. On 9/30 upon checking my acct. for the month I saw two sales - my one for 70.87 and one other for 58.95 I did not recognize. I thought your store made an error and was charged for a sale that I did not make. So I called the store back on 9/30. I spoke with Brenda **, told her my story and how thought Marshalls was in error. She listened patiently took all my information and said she would get back to me. She has awesome people skills! Not once did she make me feel small or give me that condescending attitude (I'm like yeah right. I will never hear from this chick again). In the meantime I call my bank and they are looking to it as well.

WELL FAST FORWARD TO 10/6 1pm... less than a week later. Miss ** calls me back. They have located and checked the receipts and I did indeed swipe my card twice for the two sales within one minute of each other. I'm like, "Brenda I have accounted for all the merchandise the 70.87 purchase. Do you have me on camera actually taking the merchandise with me. Could I have possibly left it on the Counter?" Miss ** let me get loss prevention to take a look at that. 530pm SAME day Miss ** was on top of it, not only did I swipe my card twice AND take my merchandise, she told me exactly what I purchased.

When she said a little junior purple fur jacket. I stopped her, I said, "Brenda say no more! I know exactly what happened and I DO indeed have my merchandise." I apologized profusely OMG! What a senior dang moment. I just want to say Thank you too for your employees for going above and beyond for me when I was the one in the wrong. I have 5 Grandpeeps. I shop early for them. When I came home I immediately took my Xmas purchases to the attic for their individual bags. I went to upstairs to double check. There it was hanging up in all its glory my Marshall's purchase for 58.95! Once again I Thank you for your gracious employees. I am and will continue to be a faithful Marshalls shopper BY THE BY I have as yet to hear from my bank.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I was looking for a particular shirt and Lillian was a floor associate. I asked her if she could tell me where a certain shirt was. She SHOOED ME!!! Told me to look for it myself. Then a ** women was near. She asked her if she could help her. Really??? I felt disrespected as an ** woman to disregard my ask for assistance.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We got the credit card after being heavily talked into doing so by the cashier. Marshall's never followed up with a receipt, email, phone call, or bill in the mail to pay off the credit card balance (which was small). Finally following up a few months later as a normal busy schedule would permit, we found that the balance ballooned four times the initial value which we had been planning on paying immediately. The individual spoken to did not address our claims, and judging by the reviews of the company I'm absolutely not surprised. Moral of the story, don't get the Marshall's credit card.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I always shop at Marshalls and spend an easily $200 or more a week. Well, I went shopping this one day and I purchased lots of clothes for my husband and I told him that to try it out to see if he wanted to return everything. So he did and I returned a couple of shirts and a cologne that I forgot to check the inside and the cap was missing. Well, I somehow lost my receipt and I had paid with my credit card. She did not want to take my returns. I will never shop at Marshalls again so karma is a **.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Just got a 50-60 ft junk popular taken down and debris removed. The guys had it down and completed in 3 hrs. Working in the rain. Left the place clean and were very professional. Definitely will use them for all our outdoor needs.

Original review: June 29, 2017

This seems to be a pretty common experience with Marshalls, no matter which store it is. I bought a Bluetooth speaker that had multiple alarm devices on it. One high tech one that took 4 different employees to get off of it, and one sticky tag that needed to be deactivated. Well it seems that one wasn't properly deactivated and the alarm went off when I left. So I handed over my bags for them to see if a tag was left on and they ran them over the pad that deactivates those tags. So she does that and swings my bags back through the door, and the alarm doesn't sound. Instead of giving me my bags and letting me go she says "It's not the bags, now you walk through".

Um, excuse me!?! Basically saying that I must have stolen something, even though she just ran my bags over the sensor that describes the security tags. Needless to say I'm pretty furious, and highly offended. I spend a lot of money at Marshalls sometimes, and they treat me like a thief when one of their employees forgets to describe the sensors?! Won't be going back to the Marshalls in Leominster, Mass anytime soon.

Original review: April 15, 2017

Never going back into the Marshalls on Federal Road! Very rude and unprofessional staff! This one Latina female did not know how to do an exchange. I asked, “why don't you just ask a manager to help you.” She rudely says, “I know what I am doing. I don't need one!” She ended up charging my credit card twice and practically throws the receipt to me. I should have reported her to her manager! Disgusting!

Original review: April 10, 2017

I had made a purchase at a TJ Maxx store in Sheboygan out two weeks prior. I realized that I bought the wrong size. I happened to be at a marshals store in Mequon and decided to return the item. The store clerk said that they do not take returns from TJ Maxx stores, which she said is their sister store, and that I needed to return it to a TJ Maxx store! I asked why, when I pay for a gift card, and it has both stores on the card, and I can use said cards at both stores. Why was I not able to return a purchase at either store? She just said that's the way it is! Even though I had said that I had returned at both stores in the past, she said that was not possible! I would like to know the stores policy on returns!

Original review: March 20, 2017

I bought my son a shirt from Marshalls to wear on picture day. I got the shirt home and even though the shirt said large the fit was too small for my son and he never wore it on picture day because I did not have time to exchange it before picture day which was the next day. So he ended up wearing a shirt that he already had and when I took the shirt back to Marshalls they said the shirt had been worn and she turned the shirt all inside and out and there were built in dirt spots all under the armpits of the shirt which I never saw when I bought the overpriced shirt. But needless to say the cashier told me that she could not refund me the $25 for the shirt because it had been worn.

And I was taken aback because I know my son only had the shirt on for 1 minute to try it on and it didn't fit. And he took it right off so there is no way that he could have caused the built in oiliness and dirt that was under the armpits on the inside of that shirt. So I know someone wore that shirt and returned it and they put that dirty shirt back on the rack for sale after some cashier overlooked that and let someone return it. And I ended up being the one that bought it unaware of the stains on the inside under the armpits and now I am stuck with a shirt that my son can't wear because it fits entirely too small. So $25 down the drain.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I went to the register to pay and I had a regular price item of clothing and another one was on clearance. The cashier looked at the clearance and since the price was too low she started to look to see if I had changed the price tag. She even asked another cashier if she thought it was changed. I don't think it's appropriate for them to look so much and make the client feel like they're stealing.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I went to Marshalls on Jamaica ave, Queens, NY, a few hours ago, around 7 pm. While waiting in line there was only one cashier, out of about ten, working and the rest were not. I went to a lady who was supposed to help me pay and go, but she rudely screamed at me to go back in line, even though I was the only one left. I told her I had to go quickly for my meter is expiring, she would not listen! I left leaving the stuff behind. I secured my car and then went back. I wasn't going back but I thought that the other employees were not the same. Wrong. I was to discover that they were all the same. I will never be back again. Affordability means nothing if you are to be rude!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I wanted to do a layaway, I waited for like 30 minutes. Nobody paid any attention to me even after I let three employees know that I needed to be attended. I decided to go to the front of the store to make a complaint and that is when things got worse. There's a clerk name Gabriel that was the most disrespectful man ever. This guy talk to me in a way that reminded me of the treatment you get when you are in a place run by the government. All pushy and defiance. Whatever happened to the phrase the customer is always right!! Course I let this dude know that he was being rude but he could care less. I did not buy anything and I'm not planning to visit or buy in this store again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

When I came to the Marshalls in the Polaris location today I heard people talking about us as soon as we walked in on their headsets to keep an eye on us. My boyfriend and I came to shop but felt uncomfortable because everyone kept watching us. I left spending $30 and went to TJ Maxx and spent $460. You guys shouldn't be so stereotypical, just because we're a young minority couple doesn't mean we are coming to steal.

Resolution response: Nov. 5, 2016

The district manager authorized a Marshall's gift card in the amount I paid for the purse.

I am happy. The district manager was VERY empathetic and seemed to want me, as a customer, to be PLEASED with Marshalls, NOT angry and frustrated as I was.

Marshalls is back, for me, in SPITE of the manager, who hopefully, will gain some customer service skills.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I purchased a GUESS purse for $49.99 at Marshalls on Saturday, 10/29/16. I went out to eat that night and then on Monday when I went to go to work and looked at my purse, it was all coming apart on the front. I got my price tag and receipt and along with the damaged purse, attempted to return it to the Rockville, MD Marshalls store. The clerk frowned and got the manager, Eric **, who told me I had the WRONG ticket that did not come off of that purse. I informed him that, yes it did. He insisted it did not, and blatantly all but called me a thief and a liar. This is absurd. The ticket matched the receipt, the cashier was on hand, yet I was not permitted to ask her and she tried FOUR times to get the plastic antitheft device off the purse, so I figured she would remember.

Eric, the manager, smugly smiled at me and said, smirkingly, that "NO it was NOT the ticket that came on the product," even though I informed him that it WAS on the purse that I purchased, wrong ticket or not, it was what was on it upon purchase. Needless to say I will NOT forget this RIPOFF management and will go to corporate or to court or BOTH. Management at Marshalls under Eric ** is HORRIBLE and someone PLEASE train HIM in customer service and management?!?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

Me and my wife come in for shoes and we meet very helpful and friendly staff. She help us out. Me and my wife, we want to thank you Barbara for help. Now my wife she told me we be back for this store if we have to do any purchase.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

A few months ago I made a purchase at Marshall's in Turnersville,NJ....as it turned out I had picked up 3 items that were very similar in style to things I already had... I never even tried these items on the tags were all on the garments, my only problem was I misplaced my receipt.... I didn't think I would have a problem since I had just purchased the items no more than 2 hours before...

I couldn't have been more wrong...after waiting online for 10 minutes this woman behind the counter motions me to come forward and I proceed to explain my situation to her explaining everything including that I had just been there 2 hours before.... She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't care that the tags were still on the garments, I needed a receipt to have the money refunded back to my card but, that she could give me a store gift card.... I kept 3 other items... I am a Marshalls card holder... I frequent this store at least once a week... (not anymore) don't understand what was so difficult but the most disturbing part of this encounter was when I had asked to speak to the Store Manager she informed me she was the store manager (which judging by her appearance and demeanor I didn't believe it) I will be paying off my card and never intend to visit this store again.

Marshalls Company Information