Land's End

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Yeah, so I paid extra money to get my son's uniforms delivered on time and when they didn't arrive in the mail, I called up Customer Service to find out where my order was. My paid printed order specifically states to please allow 1-2 business days from when order was processed (1-2 days), so ok I waited patiently. I called them the day it was due to arrive and when a customer rep answered and then suddenly transferred my call to her Manager without my knowledge. I was a bit taken aback but gave him my order # nonetheless, only to find out that my ordered items never left the warehouse as of yet and manager says I can expect to receive them in about 7-10 days. Told him it was not acceptable, given that I paid for expedited delivery so should be 4 days at most and were past that!

So now the manager has assured me to do a rush delivery of my order and that could arrive as early as in 2 days which, is still much later than the initial expedited delivery date I paid extra for and unfortunately, is way too late since my son's school has already started. Not good... Can you imagine if I hadn't inquired about my order... And what was the point of paying extra shipping costs to expedite when they didn't keep to their delivery time. From a 1st time buyer at Land's End.

Do not waste your time or money. How do you advertise being great at customer service just to be the opposite? Seems like this call center is full of bitter, old, mean hogs that have no real remorse for customers and no real ability to provide good customer service. They will get your order wrong and then act dry and nonchalant when you call in for resolution. If you want your card charge 3 times just to be running around returning merchandise or waiting forever to get it then good luck shopping with Land's End.

Land's End likes to claim that it is dedicated to customer service. Based on my latest interaction with them, I think that's just false advertising. I returned a box of clothing because I cannot wear Land's End items after the company's complete betrayal of women when it decided to bow to political and religious pressure and remove Gloria Steinem's interview from their website. I will not patronize a company that involves itself in discriminatory politics.

I sent the clothing back and asked for a refund. In return, I got a check for only 25% of the clothing's value, based on what they called an "Excessive Return." Yet Land's End's return policy states that returns are accepted without any indication that there's a punishment if you return "too much" (and no explanation of how much would be too much). I did not even receive a letter in response, acknowledging my concerns. That's appalling. When a customer has a legitimate concern about a company's public political behavior, there should at least be a letter acknowledging that. I will never purchase from Land's End again, after 30 years of being a customer. Their return policy is a sham and their actions are discriminatory against consumers who do not share the political agenda of the Religious Right.

I was a Land's End customer for more than 20 years, and have purchased numerous swim wear items over the years. I ordered and began wearing a new swimsuit in mid-Jan 2016, and was dismayed when the fabric across the backside began to disintegrate in late Feb. I ordered a replacement on March 3, only to have the same thing happen again after less than four weeks of use. This time the fabric began disintegrating not just across the backside, but along both side seams as well.

When I wrote to customer service I received the following: "Thank you for writing to Land's End. The Industry standards for swim items are for three times a week pool use for three months. That's even with rinsing after each use as the chlorine will break down the Spandex while using and it's almost impossible to get it completely removed with rinsing." So basically, LE is selling swimwear that cannot be used for swimming. Using their "industry standard" formula, one of their suits should be expected to last roughly 36 uses (3 days per week x 12 weeks), or one summer. Yet the second suit I ordered from them didn't even make it half as long. Once upon a time a swimsuit from LE was one of exceptional quality that could be used for years, not a few weeks. Sadly, Land's End now sells disposable clothing that cannot be expected to last even one season.

It used to be that when I needed new clothes, I'd just go into about 3 different local stores in malls and purchase what I needed. Then, from about 2010 to 2013, I began to notice that the quality in all 3 stores had significantly declined to a point where I just refused to pay good money for such low quality items anymore. I really didn't know what I was going to do because I just couldn't seem to find any place that sold good quality clothing anymore. I was looking for clothing online to purchase as gifts and I came across Land's End website. I bought some things and had them sent to the recipients. They liked the gifts, so I thought I would order from Land's End and see whether I'd like their clothing too. That was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back. I purchase all my clothing from Land's End now. I've never had to return anything for any reason.

Thank goodness for Land's End. Otherwise, I would have had to make all of my own clothing. I do think that the stores I used to frequent may have improved their quality of products since then, but for me, it's kind of late now because I purchase just about everything from Land's End now and I will continue to do so. I love Land's End.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Land's End?

I received a letter 3 days ago from Land's End after returning back from my vacation that they shipped a product to me and I did not pay. Order number **. I called them this morning and was told that the credit card holder whom it was used to make the purchase actually made a fraud claim against the company saying that he/she never ordered it and does not know the shipping address. They then charged the products against me and said that my name is already in collection. Prior to calling them, I had no ideas what Land's End is until the representative explained to me that it is an online fashion shopping website.

When I asked what the resolution would be for me since I did not order the goods, I pretty much was told to send the products back or send them the money for something I did not do, and they don't have a resolution for it. My name is now in collection and they do not care even though I absolutely had no ideas what this Company is about or if it exists prior to making the calls. This is an absolutely worse site ever. I am going to file a police report, report it to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the credit bureau, and the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).

I am willing to prosecute whoever did this and I really think that this company should not exist because of how inefficient they are when it comes to situation like this. They do not care if you are in collection for something you did not commit. They absolutely do not care about their customer service, or it is because I have never been their customer and didn't even know they exist??? This site absolutely deserve a negative millions star.

This is my first experience with Land's End and it has been by far the worst ever. I ordered my son's uniforms a week ago. Called today and they said it will take another 3 or 4 days before it even ships, keep in mind school started a week ago so my son has to spend another week without a uniform. Customer service is BUST and between what they give you and what the website says nothing is consistent. When I placed the order, the website says 3-5 business days, but when you call customer service, they say 3-10 business, totally false advertising on the time frame.

I will definitely be speaking with the prep school about opting for other vendors. These people are all over the place and seem to be behind even though they knew a new school year was approaching. I have spoken to numerous parents of other students at the school who all say the same thing. One parent said it's been almost 3 weeks and still nothing which is totally unacceptable.

Clothing material is very THIN, why is that? I have purchase your product for years and in the last 5 years, it seem like it is paper anymore. My question is WHY.

I grew up wearing Land's End clothes in the 1980s. I started shopping there again when my kid was born in 2006. Over the past 5 years, the quality and design of the clothes has plummeted, and their once very flexible return policy has become rigid. There was a time, around 2009, when they had gorgeous, sturdy mix-and-match girls' outfits (the "Knit Kit" -- plaid twirl skirts, matching long-sleeved tees with coordinating graphics, and patterned tights. So cute!) Now the stuff looks like a dorky version of Target and doesn't last. I don't know what Sears is doing, but I think they have ruined a company with a long-term, sterling reputation.

When buying online it is possible to find that item does not fit or it does not look as nice as it was on the screen. I tried to return two blouses and this proved impossible. As these items came from Borderfree I had to pay duty, so relatively reasonable price does not seem to be that reasonable after all. To return I had to post it back to USA address and after 10 days parcel returned.

Contacting Customer Services taught me that the address was not correct although I got it from piece of paper which came with the goods. They reimbursed cost of posting but I am still stuck with items I don't like and don't want to keep. I suggested that my items should be posted to address in UK and let them deal with the rest of the return. There was no answer to that suggestion. Apart from this latest problem, I too noticed that items are not as good quality as they used to be. Another point which irritated me was that the choice for plus sizes was rather poor. I'll stop being Land's End customer.

My favorite online clothing store! I have shopped online from Land's End for a decade, and I rarely have problems. If anything does not fit, I return the item to my local Sears and obtain a refund - no questions asked. At 6 ft tall, their women's clothing fits me, especially their tall size women's items and their shoes. 90 percent of my clothing and about half of my children's clothing comes from Land's End.

I recently purchased a winter coat online at Lands End, I have had many lovely Items from them but have never bought on line, and now will neither buy online or instore. They advertised the backorder date for the 14th of November, I purchased it on the 11th willing to wait until then to have it in the color I liked, then on the 14th it got back ordered to the 28th, so I contacted customer service and the rep assured me I would have it shortly after and that it could actually come earlier than the new expected date. I declined at that point to change to the next color choice because I was under the impression it wouldn't be long and I loved the color. I told them that the wrong back order date was still on the website on the item's description page so anyone purchasing would be under the same assumption that I was.

Then a day after the new backorder date, they notified me it was back ordered a second time now DEC 12. (They thought) the new customer service rep was doing her best to convince me that they were at the mercy of the warehouses, and suggested I changed colors, by now they didn't have it in any color other than fuchsia- yuck. Also didn't have my size. So here we are, almost six weeks later and I still have no coat, and no idea when it will come. They also have not updated the backorder date to the now third date they have given via email, so any customer ordering a fuchsia coat and expecting it soon is in for a rude awakening.

I told one of the moms in my neighborhood about it and she had actually bought the same coat, different color under the assumption that it would be in also on the 28th. So we called customer service together, they told us they had no control over when the coats get there, and when we pointed out they absolutely have control over updating the website and giving their customers accurate information to make the best choice for their needs. The rep had no comment. Didn't offer to do anything to make us happy about the situation, finally after I asked, it was upgraded to an over night shipping... whenever it fabricates itself I guess. So I may have my coat, sometime by spring. Maybe. I guess it depends on the warehouses.

I own several Land's End items and never had any issues with any of them. I got out my squall gloves and noticed a ripped seam on one of them. Land's End return policy states "if you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of it's purchase price." They would not exchange the gloves because this years squall gloves have different product number, they did offer a refund of 25% of what I paid (lowest price sold for). I do not believe they stand behind their products and I will never buy from them again. The return policy at best is very misleading and at worst a bold lie.

I am returning two sweaters and a pair of snow boots with a zipper on the side. I have noticed quality in fabric content slipping to the point that this return ends my very long term, happy relationship I had with land's end. Their catalog states imported (not the country it is from). This last order was China. Not my desire to wear something made in China. I will only shop from companies where Made in America means something. Goodbye, Land's End!

I love Land's End. I have been such a great customer for years. They have great clothing, high quality and carry plus sizes. I was shocked at the latest catalog.

Every item I would purchase was not carried in plus. I have come to rely on the fabulous consistency of having so many great choices in all colors and always equally in plus sizes. This catalog did not have any plus options for all of the choices I hoped for. I really hope this is not the direction Land's End is going. I have come to count on all the choice in my size, and colors! Please work on providing plus women with all of the great clothes and colors everyone else gets to choose, or frankly I will search out companies that do. Thank you for your consideration.

I placed an order with Lands' End and it happened to be free shipping, which I really did care about, but I figured why not. Well come to find out every time you get free shipping it comes through the US Post Office and we all know how reliable they are. SO BEWARE IF YOU DON'T PAY THE UPCHARGE OF $5.00. It will take well over a week to get your order! So it isn't really free shipping - it is JUST PAY $5.00.

This company doesn't even deserve one star. I feel like any five star reviews are either fake or paid for by the company. I'm a first time customer and I feel like I've been cheated. Their customer service is horrendous. I called them twice to try to exchange. One lady told me I have to pay for shipping on the exchange despite the fact that the website says reorders are free. She also gave me a very snooty attitude with no apologies. I called a second time a week later and this lady gave me an even bigger attitude, but she at least apologized when I pointed out how she was complaining about my aggravation. I'm sorry. I thought you were working for the customer - not the other way around. I have a recording of that conversation. I'm debating on posting it everywhere. They have definitely lost me forever as a customer. That's too bad because I expected more from them with my first order.

Poor customer service experience. Shipping is slower than expected even when paying extra. If the cust service team is any indication of how much this company cares for its product & customers, then it clearly won't mind losing this buyer.

Placed an order on 12/23 and paid extra money for two day shipping anticipating my order would be processed on 12/24 and arrive on 12/27. Found out my order was not processed until 12/26 since Lands End (I assume their warehouse) was closed on 12/24 for the holidays. Now my package will not arrive until Monday, when I will just turn around, return all items ordered because I needed it Friday for a ski trip. Items will be outgrown by next year and won't be used this year except for this trip. Extremely disappointed that the closure was not disclosed anywhere on the website or that the delay in processing my order was not noted prior to my final purchase on-line. In today's digital age, and during a major retail shopping period, I would have anticipated better notification.

I've given up on the turtle necks. The new ones have huge sagging necks. Fabric not the same and no more 40/60 cotton poly. I've just about given up on Lands' End but one of my daughters wanted a couple of fleece lightweight jackets. I went to Sear's Lands' End (so if they weren't the right size she could return them easily). I couldn't believe the price and the thin fabric. I went directly across the aisle in Sears and bought much better jackets and vests for a third of the price of the Lands' End. Go figure. I really am so disappointed with Lands' End, it is like the end of an era.

I ordered a shirt several years ago and it was excellent in every respect. I recently ordered a couple more on sale and the material was so thin that it would be pushing the English language to call it corduroy. Recent reviews mentioned the same thing but I ignored them. Methinks that Sears, as their holding company, is just squeezing them to take poorer and poorer suppliers while still trying to maintain their good time tested reputation, while taking them down the toilet in the meantime.

Men's Regular Plain Front Comfort Waist No Iron Chino Pants - These NO WRINKLE, NO IRON pants are a bad dream. If I were to wear these pants directly out of the dryer without them being ironed, I'd look like a hobo. The "no cuff" hemming job by Lands' End looks like Hellen Keller is their seamstress. Fabric is bunched up and crudely sewn. They apparently no longer have a quality control person or department. Their former quality and concern is long gone. Shame on you, you've taken a grand old name and dumped it in the toilet.

I found a swimsuit I wanted that Lands' End offered online. I ordered it at once. When I got the suit it was DEFECTIVE (One leg opening was much wider than the other)!!! When I went to return this item, I learned I either have to drive all the way to the mall/Sears to return it for free, or I have to pay for shipping MYSELF! For their DEFECTIVE product!!! (through USPS a reduction of $6.95 is made in my refund; through any other method of shipment I'd have to pay for shipping up front!) Think about it. I could return the item to them, they could repackage it, then they could send the product out to YOU! They get to take $6.95 from every customer who goes through this process!!! I WILL NEVER MAKE ANOTHER ONLINE PURCHASE FROM LANDS' END AGAIN. Anything you buy there "could" be defective. Think twice before making any purchases. I wish I had known this earlier. RIDICULOUS!!!

I was a long time Land's End customer. Recently I placed an order. When the package arrived, one of the items was not available. It was an item that was "on the counter." In the past I may have an item in my shopping bag but when I go to complete the purchase it is no longer available. In this instance, the item was in my shopping bag and was part of the completed order. However, I did not receive it. Additionally, I placed my order very early in the morning when items are first online in the "On the Counter" section.

I contacted Land's End customer service. I spoke with two reps; the final named Bonnie. Basically, it appears that their computers do not function correctly. I was told that since I ordered online and had not called directly, I was not informed that an item was low quantity. Their online computer system does not track in real time evidently. Something I find very difficult to believe as I feel certain the phone reps are using the same system. I was also told that someone who paid for faster shipping would have had their order processed before mine. So orders are not pulled by order date and time, but by who pays the most shipping. What a shame that they don't post this on their website: Land's End offers free shipping, however, buyer beware. If you use this service, you are not an important customer and we will pull from your order to accommodate someone with more money.

I could stock a store with the items I have ordered over the years at Land's End for my family of five - not that LE cares. Land's End's resolution was to tell me they were sorry, but they would not substitute any other item to replace the item they took from my order. In short, we don't care. Take your business elsewhere because we don't need you as a customer any longer. There are others to replace you.

Over the last two years, there has been a significant drop in the quality of their products. I purchased a long, power-down coat. The original retail price was $149. At that price, twill tape should not have been used as edging on sleeve cuffs. Poor construction methods and low quality fabrics are being used on all of their clothes, and we have gone from being regular buyers to maybe one item a year. I’m very disappointed. Better hang onto that guarantee.

I recently visited the Land's End store inside Sears at the Polaris Town Center in Columbus, Ohio. I was planning on buying quite a few winter clothes; a new coat, a long parka, and some dresses for work. However, I left without buying a single item.

First, not a single salesperson greeted me or asked if they could help me, though I passed several who were standing around talking. The awful teen pop music was so loud that the bass was distorted and quickly gave me a headache (and I love loud rock and pop). Most disappointing of all was the unbelievably poor quality of your clothing and coats! Everything was thin and cheap-feeling, exactly what I have seen at Walmart. The styles were plain. The coats seemed too thin and sparse to be warm, and the quality was terrible, with flimsy single seams ready to unravel. Everything looked like it had been made in sweatshops with the cheapest possible materials. I was shocked by all of this from a company with a long-standing reputation like Land's End. Land's End has lost my business and I doubt they will ever get it back unless they do a complete overhaul on the quality and craftsmanship of their products - very disappointing.

I purchased a squall jacket for my husband approximately 3 years ago. Unfortunately, he put it away after 2 wearings due to the zipper splitting. He didn't tell me about it until this year when I took it out and questioned why he wouldn't wear it. I called Lands' End, hoping they would honor a request for a new jacket based on their Guaranteed Period statement on their website as quoted below. I was told by customer service that without proof of purchase price, I would get the last known price, perhaps $5 or whatever it last sold for. They searched their computers and couldn't find a record of my purchase. I asked for an after holiday sale jacket which was similar and with the discount would be reasonable.

After 3 calls and speaking to a supervisor, they continued to state they could only give me the last known price ( a fraction of what I paid) and would not exchange for even a sale jacket. The best I could get was "possibly" a new zipper sent, if they have one, and $15 toward installing it. I don't live in an area where a seamstress is easy to find, and I don't sew. So this isn't very helpful. It's too bad they couldn't give better service and live up to their "guaranteed period" statement. It does not say you have to keep your proof of purchase receipt. The jacket is basically new, worn 2x and useless unless I can go to the trouble to find someone to repair it and find time to fax a repair statement, etc. How does this meet the guaranteed period statement?

It appears to me that it is false representation, and they clearly do not have the intent to make the customer happy. Their answer makes more work for me; it doesn't make me want to buy from them again.

I have done business with a competitor whose name also begins with L and had excellent service, no questions asked. Recently, I returned a backpack that fell apart after several years. I expected and would have accepted a "Sorry, nothing we can do..." However, they responded with the full purchase price gift card for the return. That is customer service, no questions asked. Lands' End needs to take note. In this economy, savvy customers do not expect quality items to fall apart and do not take risks with shady guarantees. When we pay for an item, we expect quality and guarantees of service; we have options and will seek to buy from those who stand behind their products and their words.

If my husband had even one season's use of this, I wouldn't complain. But 2 wearings? That's not reasonable. Also, if their guarantee stated a time period for returns, I would honor it; or if it stated proof of purchase needed, I would honor that fair and square. However, it doesn't make these statements: It clearly says exchange at any time,etc. Here is a cut/paste taken from the website:

"The Lands' End guarantee has always been an unconditional one. It reads: 'If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price.' We mean every word of it. Whatever. Whenever. Always. But to make sure this is perfectly clear, we've decided to simplify it further. Guaranteed. Period."

If Lands End really means "Guaranteed Period" they would send a fair exchange replacement jacket; otherwise, they need to rewrite their web page and state their limitations and that customers need to save receipts and perhaps pay attention to time limits too.

Personally, I will buy from others who take better care of customers. For the purchase price of a sale jacket less than $100, they have lost all of my future business, as well as many of my friends, co-workers and family members who want to know that a company stands behind their words, period.

Actually - experience below a one star. Placed order on 12/26 - didn't leave them until 12/28 where it sat at UPS for their 5-day holiday. Won't receive for 10 days. Customer service said it's my fault because I didn't select "over night mail" which would have taken 3 days (not exactly overnight!). Customer service could not have been less interested.

Land's End Website on 12/17 began running a sale stating in large type: "Buy before 12/20/11, Free Delivery before Christmas Guaranteed." Also, it stated everything 30% off. We ordered some clothing items but did not receive them by the 24th of December. I checked and found they were not shipped until December 22 and would not arrive until 12/29/11 via UPS. I contacted Land's End on 12/24 and spoke with customer service who informed me that shipment was delayed due to a pair of pants needing an inseam! Pants were standard 36x32 size. They offered a $30 gift card in compensation for the problem. I declined. Prior to 12/17/11, Land's End website stated (if you looked long enough!) that shipping took from 2-5 days to process and that no order was guaranteed by Christmas if placed after 12/15.

Then on 12/17 the information above appeared on their site! This was clearly a fraud by inducement perpetrated on the consumer in an effort to compete for pre-Christmas sales. Land's End knew they couldn’t fulfill their offer but made it anyway to induce people to buy when they knew full well they would not be able to deliver before Christmas! The consequence is that there’s no Christmas present for my son.

The site offered free shipping with minimum purchase. The site also stated shipping 2-5 business days though I'm not sure why there is such a spread.

My item was shipped on September 14. I tracked it on the UPS site. It was at my local UPS and on a truck at 7:31 AM. At 7pm, I still had no package. The next day, I went on the tracking site and it states "hand delivered to Post Office". Why in the world? I contacted so called customer service and was basically told "oh well, too bad". When I asked where that policy was stated on their site, I was told that it was not and was informed that "it's standard shipping". They claim that it's their way of "going green"! **! Thanks for absolutely nothing!

Land's End Company Profile