Lands' End
  • 1 star
Based on 42 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Lands' End

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 27, 2017

44 Lands' End Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 26, 2013

Placed an order on 12/23 and paid extra money for two day shipping anticipating my order would be processed on 12/24 and arrive on 12/27. Found out my order was not processed until 12/26 since Lands End (I assume their warehouse) was closed on 12/24 for the holidays. Now my package will not arrive until Monday, when I will just turn around, return all items ordered because I needed it Friday for a ski trip. Items will be outgrown by next year and won't be used this year except for this trip. Extremely disappointed that the closure was not disclosed anywhere on the website or that the delay in processing my order was not noted prior to my final purchase on-line. In today's digital age, and during a major retail shopping period, I would have anticipated better notification.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2013

I've given up on the turtle necks. The new ones have huge sagging necks. Fabric not the same and no more 40/60 cotton poly. I've just about given up on Lands' End but one of my daughters wanted a couple of fleece lightweight jackets. I went to Sear's Lands' End (so if they weren't the right size she could return them easily). I couldn't believe the price and the thin fabric. I went directly across the aisle in Sears and bought much better jackets and vests for a third of the price of the Lands' End. Go figure. I really am so disappointed with Lands' End, it is like the end of an era.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2013

I ordered a shirt several years ago and it was excellent in every respect. I recently ordered a couple more on sale and the material was so thin that it would be pushing the English language to call it corduroy. Recent reviews mentioned the same thing but I ignored them. Methinks that Sears, as their holding company, is just squeezing them to take poorer and poorer suppliers while still trying to maintain their good time tested reputation, while taking them down the toilet in the meantime.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2013

Men's Regular Plain Front Comfort Waist No Iron Chino Pants - These NO WRINKLE, NO IRON pants are a bad dream. If I were to wear these pants directly out of the dryer without them being ironed, I'd look like a hobo. The "no cuff" hemming job by Lands' End looks like Hellen Keller is their seamstress. Fabric is bunched up and crudely sewn. They apparently no longer have a quality control person or department. Their former quality and concern is long gone. Shame on you, you've taken a grand old name and dumped it in the toilet.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2013

I found a swimsuit I wanted that Lands' End offered online. I ordered it at once. When I got the suit it was DEFECTIVE (One leg opening was much wider than the other)!!! When I went to return this item, I learned I either have to drive all the way to the mall/Sears to return it for free, or I have to pay for shipping MYSELF! For their DEFECTIVE product!!! (through USPS a reduction of $6.95 is made in my refund; through any other method of shipment I'd have to pay for shipping up front!) Think about it. I could return the item to them, they could repackage it, then they could send the product out to YOU! They get to take $6.95 from every customer who goes through this process!!! I WILL NEVER MAKE ANOTHER ONLINE PURCHASE FROM LANDS' END AGAIN. Anything you buy there "could" be defective. Think twice before making any purchases. I wish I had known this earlier. RIDICULOUS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Land's End?

Original review: April 4, 2013

I was a long time Land's End customer. Recently I placed an order. When the package arrived, one of the items was not available. It was an item that was "on the counter." In the past I may have an item in my shopping bag but when I go to complete the purchase it is no longer available. In this instance, the item was in my shopping bag and was part of the completed order. However, I did not receive it. Additionally, I placed my order very early in the morning when items are first online in the "On the Counter" section.

I contacted Land's End customer service. I spoke with two reps; the final named Bonnie. Basically, it appears that their computers do not function correctly. I was told that since I ordered online and had not called directly, I was not informed that an item was low quantity. Their online computer system does not track in real time evidently. Something I find very difficult to believe as I feel certain the phone reps are using the same system. I was also told that someone who paid for faster shipping would have had their order processed before mine. So orders are not pulled by order date and time, but by who pays the most shipping. What a shame that they don't post this on their website: Land's End offers free shipping, however, buyer beware. If you use this service, you are not an important customer and we will pull from your order to accommodate someone with more money.

I could stock a store with the items I have ordered over the years at Land's End for my family of five - not that LE cares. Land's End's resolution was to tell me they were sorry, but they would not substitute any other item to replace the item they took from my order. In short, we don't care. Take your business elsewhere because we don't need you as a customer any longer. There are others to replace you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2013

Over the last two years, there has been a significant drop in the quality of their products. I purchased a long, power-down coat. The original retail price was $149. At that price, twill tape should not have been used as edging on sleeve cuffs. Poor construction methods and low quality fabrics are being used on all of their clothes, and we have gone from being regular buyers to maybe one item a year. I’m very disappointed. Better hang onto that guarantee.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2013

I recently visited the Land's End store inside Sears at the Polaris Town Center in Columbus, Ohio. I was planning on buying quite a few winter clothes; a new coat, a long parka, and some dresses for work. However, I left without buying a single item.

First, not a single salesperson greeted me or asked if they could help me, though I passed several who were standing around talking. The awful teen pop music was so loud that the bass was distorted and quickly gave me a headache (and I love loud rock and pop). Most disappointing of all was the unbelievably poor quality of your clothing and coats! Everything was thin and cheap-feeling, exactly what I have seen at Walmart. The styles were plain. The coats seemed too thin and sparse to be warm, and the quality was terrible, with flimsy single seams ready to unravel. Everything looked like it had been made in sweatshops with the cheapest possible materials. I was shocked by all of this from a company with a long-standing reputation like Land's End. Land's End has lost my business and I doubt they will ever get it back unless they do a complete overhaul on the quality and craftsmanship of their products - very disappointing.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2012

I purchased a squall jacket for my husband approximately 3 years ago. Unfortunately, he put it away after 2 wearings due to the zipper splitting. He didn't tell me about it until this year when I took it out and questioned why he wouldn't wear it. I called Lands' End, hoping they would honor a request for a new jacket based on their Guaranteed Period statement on their website as quoted below. I was told by customer service that without proof of purchase price, I would get the last known price, perhaps $5 or whatever it last sold for. They searched their computers and couldn't find a record of my purchase. I asked for an after holiday sale jacket which was similar and with the discount would be reasonable.

After 3 calls and speaking to a supervisor, they continued to state they could only give me the last known price ( a fraction of what I paid) and would not exchange for even a sale jacket. The best I could get was "possibly" a new zipper sent, if they have one, and $15 toward installing it. I don't live in an area where a seamstress is easy to find, and I don't sew. So this isn't very helpful. It's too bad they couldn't give better service and live up to their "guaranteed period" statement. It does not say you have to keep your proof of purchase receipt. The jacket is basically new, worn 2x and useless unless I can go to the trouble to find someone to repair it and find time to fax a repair statement, etc. How does this meet the guaranteed period statement?

It appears to me that it is false representation, and they clearly do not have the intent to make the customer happy. Their answer makes more work for me; it doesn't make me want to buy from them again.

I have done business with a competitor whose name also begins with L and had excellent service, no questions asked. Recently, I returned a backpack that fell apart after several years. I expected and would have accepted a "Sorry, nothing we can do..." However, they responded with the full purchase price gift card for the return. That is customer service, no questions asked. Lands' End needs to take note. In this economy, savvy customers do not expect quality items to fall apart and do not take risks with shady guarantees. When we pay for an item, we expect quality and guarantees of service; we have options and will seek to buy from those who stand behind their products and their words.

If my husband had even one season's use of this, I wouldn't complain. But 2 wearings? That's not reasonable. Also, if their guarantee stated a time period for returns, I would honor it; or if it stated proof of purchase needed, I would honor that fair and square. However, it doesn't make these statements: It clearly says exchange at any time,etc. Here is a cut/paste taken from the website:

"The Lands' End guarantee has always been an unconditional one. It reads: 'If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price.' We mean every word of it. Whatever. Whenever. Always. But to make sure this is perfectly clear, we've decided to simplify it further. Guaranteed. Period."

If Lands End really means "Guaranteed Period" they would send a fair exchange replacement jacket; otherwise, they need to rewrite their web page and state their limitations and that customers need to save receipts and perhaps pay attention to time limits too.

Personally, I will buy from others who take better care of customers. For the purchase price of a sale jacket less than $100, they have lost all of my future business, as well as many of my friends, co-workers and family members who want to know that a company stands behind their words, period.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

Actually - experience below a one star. Placed order on 12/26 - didn't leave them until 12/28 where it sat at UPS for their 5-day holiday. Won't receive for 10 days. Customer service said it's my fault because I didn't select "over night mail" which would have taken 3 days (not exactly overnight!). Customer service could not have been less interested.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2011

Land's End Website on 12/17 began running a sale stating in large type: "Buy before 12/20/11, Free Delivery before Christmas Guaranteed." Also, it stated everything 30% off. We ordered some clothing items but did not receive them by the 24th of December. I checked and found they were not shipped until December 22 and would not arrive until 12/29/11 via UPS. I contacted Land's End on 12/24 and spoke with customer service who informed me that shipment was delayed due to a pair of pants needing an inseam! Pants were standard 36x32 size. They offered a $30 gift card in compensation for the problem. I declined. Prior to 12/17/11, Land's End website stated (if you looked long enough!) that shipping took from 2-5 days to process and that no order was guaranteed by Christmas if placed after 12/15.

Then on 12/17 the information above appeared on their site! This was clearly a fraud by inducement perpetrated on the consumer in an effort to compete for pre-Christmas sales. Land's End knew they couldn’t fulfill their offer but made it anyway to induce people to buy when they knew full well they would not be able to deliver before Christmas! The consequence is that there’s no Christmas present for my son.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

The site offered free shipping with minimum purchase. The site also stated shipping 2-5 business days though I'm not sure why there is such a spread.

My item was shipped on September 14. I tracked it on the UPS site. It was at my local UPS and on a truck at 7:31 AM. At 7pm, I still had no package. The next day, I went on the tracking site and it states "hand delivered to Post Office". Why in the world? I contacted so called customer service and was basically told "oh well, too bad". When I asked where that policy was stated on their site, I was told that it was not and was informed that "it's standard shipping". They claim that it's their way of "going green"! **! Thanks for absolutely nothing!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2009

Twice now, I've received a Land's End catalog, phoned them to place orders and have been told that they are out of the products. The catalogs have arrived in my mailbox within the specified period requested by Land's End. I emailed a complaint to Lands End customer service, and got a canned corporate response about needing to order conservatively. I find this very aggravating and disrespectful to a customer. I feel very much fooled here. If they don't want to account for people who call in once they receive the catalog, then they shouldn't send out the catalog. I sent another email to customer service and have yet to hear from them. So is what they send really a catalog or a ploy to get people to call and perhaps order something else? It's hard to say but if they won't stock items to fulfill orders, then they shouldn't solicit phone calls by sending out catalogs. Actually, I saved money by being royally aggravated by Land's End inventory management and customer service. They are telling me that my time selecting product is not valuable to them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2008

They treat their temporary part time employees like trash, even though most of these people have worked for them for years and years and years without benefits or a schedule.

Lands' End Company Information