Land's End

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a squall jacket for my husband approximately 3 years ago. Unfortunately, he put it away after 2 wearings due to the zipper splitting. He didn't tell me about it until this year when I took it out and questioned why he wouldn't wear it. I called Lands' End, hoping they would honor a request for a new jacket based on their Guaranteed Period statement on their website as quoted below. I was told by customer service that without proof of purchase price, I would get the last known price, perhaps $5 or whatever it last sold for. They searched their computers and couldn't find a record of my purchase. I asked for an after holiday sale jacket which was similar and with the discount would be reasonable.

After 3 calls and speaking to a supervisor, they continued to state they could only give me the last known price ( a fraction of what I paid) and would not exchange for even a sale jacket. The best I could get was "possibly" a new zipper sent, if they have one, and $15 toward installing it. I don't live in an area where a seamstress is easy to find, and I don't sew. So this isn't very helpful. It's too bad they couldn't give better service and live up to their "guaranteed period" statement. It does not say you have to keep your proof of purchase receipt. The jacket is basically new, worn 2x and useless unless I can go to the trouble to find someone to repair it and find time to fax a repair statement, etc. How does this meet the guaranteed period statement?

It appears to me that it is false representation, and they clearly do not have the intent to make the customer happy. Their answer makes more work for me; it doesn't make me want to buy from them again.

I have done business with a competitor whose name also begins with L and had excellent service, no questions asked. Recently, I returned a backpack that fell apart after several years. I expected and would have accepted a "Sorry, nothing we can do..." However, they responded with the full purchase price gift card for the return. That is customer service, no questions asked. Lands' End needs to take note. In this economy, savvy customers do not expect quality items to fall apart and do not take risks with shady guarantees. When we pay for an item, we expect quality and guarantees of service; we have options and will seek to buy from those who stand behind their products and their words.

If my husband had even one season's use of this, I wouldn't complain. But 2 wearings? That's not reasonable. Also, if their guarantee stated a time period for returns, I would honor it; or if it stated proof of purchase needed, I would honor that fair and square. However, it doesn't make these statements: It clearly says exchange at any time,etc. Here is a cut/paste taken from the website:

"The Lands' End guarantee has always been an unconditional one. It reads: 'If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price.' We mean every word of it. Whatever. Whenever. Always. But to make sure this is perfectly clear, we've decided to simplify it further. Guaranteed. Period."

If Lands End really means "Guaranteed Period" they would send a fair exchange replacement jacket; otherwise, they need to rewrite their web page and state their limitations and that customers need to save receipts and perhaps pay attention to time limits too.

Personally, I will buy from others who take better care of customers. For the purchase price of a sale jacket less than $100, they have lost all of my future business, as well as many of my friends, co-workers and family members who want to know that a company stands behind their words, period.

Actually - experience below a one star. Placed order on 12/26 - didn't leave them until 12/28 where it sat at UPS for their 5-day holiday. Won't receive for 10 days. Customer service said it's my fault because I didn't select "over night mail" which would have taken 3 days (not exactly overnight!). Customer service could not have been less interested.

Land's End Website on 12/17 began running a sale stating in large type: "Buy before 12/20/11, Free Delivery before Christmas Guaranteed." Also, it stated everything 30% off. We ordered some clothing items but did not receive them by the 24th of December. I checked and found they were not shipped until December 22 and would not arrive until 12/29/11 via UPS. I contacted Land's End on 12/24 and spoke with customer service who informed me that shipment was delayed due to a pair of pants needing an inseam! Pants were standard 36x32 size. They offered a $30 gift card in compensation for the problem. I declined. Prior to 12/17/11, Land's End website stated (if you looked long enough!) that shipping took from 2-5 days to process and that no order was guaranteed by Christmas if placed after 12/15.

Then on 12/17 the information above appeared on their site! This was clearly a fraud by inducement perpetrated on the consumer in an effort to compete for pre-Christmas sales. Land's End knew they couldn’t fulfill their offer but made it anyway to induce people to buy when they knew full well they would not be able to deliver before Christmas! The consequence is that there’s no Christmas present for my son.

The site offered free shipping with minimum purchase. The site also stated shipping 2-5 business days though I'm not sure why there is such a spread.

My item was shipped on September 14. I tracked it on the UPS site. It was at my local UPS and on a truck at 7:31 AM. At 7pm, I still had no package. The next day, I went on the tracking site and it states "hand delivered to Post Office". Why in the world? I contacted so called customer service and was basically told "oh well, too bad". When I asked where that policy was stated on their site, I was told that it was not and was informed that "it's standard shipping". They claim that it's their way of "going green"! **! Thanks for absolutely nothing!

Twice now, I've received a Land's End catalog, phoned them to place orders and have been told that they are out of the products. The catalogs have arrived in my mailbox within the specified period requested by Land's End. I emailed a complaint to Lands End customer service, and got a canned corporate response about needing to order conservatively. I find this very aggravating and disrespectful to a customer. I feel very much fooled here. If they don't want to account for people who call in once they receive the catalog, then they shouldn't send out the catalog. I sent another email to customer service and have yet to hear from them. So is what they send really a catalog or a ploy to get people to call and perhaps order something else? It's hard to say but if they won't stock items to fulfill orders, then they shouldn't solicit phone calls by sending out catalogs. Actually, I saved money by being royally aggravated by Land's End inventory management and customer service. They are telling me that my time selecting product is not valuable to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Land's End?

They treat their temporary part time employees like trash, even though most of these people have worked for them for years and years and years without benefits or a schedule.

Land's End Company Profile