3.8/5 (713 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: July 23, 2019

I placed an order online, the item was listed as being able to pick-up yet there was no stores within 100 miles that stocked the item, so unlike other sites they lied about the item being available in store. Immediately upon receiving the confirmation email, I noticed the delivery address was incorrect. Online there was no way to edit the order so I contacted JCPenney directly to be told they could not change the delivery address for me, they offered to cancel the order so I could place a new order, but having explained that the funds were currently on hold with their company so I was unable to take that option. I was then told I would be able to change it with UPS.

The following day I contacted them again because the order was still "in progress" and was told I had to wait for the tracking order number. On the second day I noticed the order stated it had been shipped, no tracking order online so I contact company again. Was informed that the tracking number would come from UPS - really! I asked to speak to manager and explained that according to UPS site that JCPenney could have corrected the item for me, only to be told it was my mistake and once the order is placed they cannot change it. I was told I could have cancelled the order, but explained again that the funds were on hold and that would take longer to be released so cancelling an order for a little mistake is not really an option. Both customer service rep and manager were rude and rude. I have used many online stores and always been able to change addresses or order within an hour or so of placing the order.

The attitude was the order was placed, we have your money so tough luck. I was forced to have the items delivered, even though it did not clearly state the item was not available in store. In this day and age of online shopping I would have expected a better service from a big company - small online stores offer better customer service. Extremely disappointed with the don't care attitude.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I ordered 10 items worth a 100 buck from JCPenney online website. My shipment was split into two orders. One shipment arrived with just 2 items. And the second shipment never reached me. It has been more than 40 days now. I tried contacting the JCPenney agent and they are like, "Please wait, we don't know where your shipment is." I have never seen such careless regarding online orders. If this was Amazon, they would have tried everything to get the customer issue resolved. I highly recommend to think twice before ordering anything online from JCPenney.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I ordered a mattress and box springs on 6/24/2019. I received an email stating it had been shipped on 7/2/2019 and I've yet to receive a delivery date. I could have bought these products anywhere I chose and if I would have known I was going to receive slow sorry service from JCPenney I would have shopped somewhere else. Needless to say I will never shop at JCPenney again.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I spent a long time putting together an online order. Two days later they cancelled it for no reason. It was not out of stock. I have great credit. No one could help. They told me to 'go to the store for help' but there is no store nearby. My daughter has placed several orders with them and agrees. Their online experience is a very poor one. Perhaps the stores are better. I will never, ever shop with them again and they really don't seem to care.

Original review: June 21, 2019

On 5/23/19 I ordered a men’s ring from JCPenney’s online store for my boyfriend’s birthday present. I immediately got an email saying that my item had shipped but every time I looked up the UPS tracking number all it said was “label created”. This item was a “limited quantity” item and it seemed like I ordered the last one because when I tried to view the item on the website after placing my order it was no longer available. On 6/6/19 I called JCPenney customer service and was told that they can issue me a refund or I can continue to wait. They also saw on their end that the only progress on this order was that a “label was created”. I really wanted the ring so I waited another week.

On 6/14/19 I called customer service again and was told that that item is no longer in stock and that a “case” would be opened as to why I haven’t received the ring and that they “usually” call people back. I honed in on the word “usually” and decided to just ask for the refund. The customer service agent said no problem that she would issue the refund but that she was still going to open a case. Today is 6/20/19 and I have not received my refund, have not received a call back for a “case”, and the ring shipment details have not changed. I want my money back JCPenney. If you’re going to make an expensive, meaningful purchase do not use JCPenney online.

Original review: May 26, 2019

JCPenney online purchase and customer service was incredibly poor. I purchased a suit and opted to ship it to the store. Almost a week later I see the pants on the suit were cancelled. They never called or emailed with an explanation. When I called they stated it wasn’t available even though it was a few days ago. They did not offer me another size or help of any kind. They also stated they could not check inventory from other stores (it’s 2019!) and offered me nothing. Now I am back to square one with finding a suit for my husband to wear at an upcoming event. Unacceptable at every turn. They also could not even give me an estimate on when the jacket would be delivered to the store. Are you kidding me?

Original review: May 22, 2019

I ordered a two piece sectional and a mattress from the JCPenney website on May 19th. On May 20th I received an email regarding the order. The email stated that they couldn't process the order and to give them a call. Since it was 9 pm when I received the email, I had to call the next day. On May 21st, I called them, and I was helped by a wonderful associate. She was patient and tried very hard to do what she could to fix the issue. We replaced the order and fixed the billing address (which was what seemed to be the issue).

Today, May 22nd, I receive the same email regarding the new order about being unable to process the order. I give them a call once again, and the associate who answers is cold and brash. She doesn't attempt to even help. She's unapologetic and gives me zero details. My experience with JCPenney has been overall tiring and stressful. I placed a new order myself due to the price of the item that my family needs, and hopefully there will not be an issue with this one.

Original review: May 17, 2019

To whom it may concern: I am and have been a JCPenney customer for as long as I can remember. I have never had a issue with making my payment. I’m always on time. So when I get a notice from Credit Karma that I had a balance of $16 dollars I called right away to make my payment. To my surprise the gentleman on the phone is very rude and almost spiteful. I asked if there was anyway I could have the late fee removed for my credit purposes, he was happy to decline and referred me to complain to the credit bureau. Since my voice and patronage is so minuscule to JCPenney, I will use it to spread the word of neglect anywhere I can speak. If you are looking for a respectable reputable creditor JCPenney is not the one. In their eyes you are just a number printed on a card not a person.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I ordered 3 items, only one arrived. I called them to complain about the issue and I got told that I was lying. That the package was delivered, therefore I had received all 3 items. I was told to return all 3 items if I wanted a refund. I also found out that JCPenney doesn't sell NFL items directly, they order from the NFL fan shop. I contacted the fan shop and explained the situation. They looked the order up by my address, and JCPenney had only ordered one of the items. The fan shop can't send me items they weren't paid for and I can't even do a chargeback with JCP because I paid with a gift card I received.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I ordered towels online, got half my order. After refunding me half, I reordered. Wrong thing came. CS supervisor told me go to store to get refund. I ordered online because I didn't want to go to a store!

Original review: May 3, 2019

JCPenney will rip you off!! Do not order anything online. They will charge your card and then refuse to cancel the order! I keep asking to cancel my order and all they say is they can't. JCPenney has no customer service at all!! BOYCOTTING JCPenney from now on! Do not shop at JCPenney if you want to get good products and good customer service.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I ordered a shirt and pants from jcpenney.com for pickup at a local store. Both items were listed as in stock for pickup at the store. 5 hours later I get a message that the order is ready for pickup but the shirt portion of the order was cancelled. I called the toll free number at jcpenney.com to cancel the pants too because this was a matched set, but the customer service person told me that she could not cancel the order.

First, she suggested that I travel to the store, pick up the pants and then immediately return them. When I said that that was a ridiculous waste of time, she gave me the direct number to the local store. When I called them to connect to the operator, no human ever answered--only recorded prompts. My advice to anyone reading this message is to never used jcpenney.com. They cannot be trusted to have items in stock even when their site says they're in stock, then they will cancel the items that they don't have in stock and force you to pay for the rest.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I live 60 miles away from the nearest store and have to drive all the way down there to pay my bill because "every" time I try to use the online banking I'm locked out even though I write down the new password every time. And every time I spent an hour on the phone with their computer labyrinth of questions only to end up with these people from a eastern country telling me that I'm not me again and again and again. I too will not be using my JCPenney card ever again. Their discounts for using are costing me more than what I saved. So for the last three days I have tried to pay my bill online Unsuccessfully and this goes on every time. And now I'm going to have this lousy 17 dollar balance reflect on my outstanding credit report as a late payment. 17 dollars. **.

Original review: April 25, 2019

My fiance and I fell in love with a $5900 ring at JCPENNEY. It originally cost about $9000 so I figured we were getting a good deal. Keep in mind that when it comes to DIAMONDS, unless you keep your eye on it 24/7- there is no true way of knowing if it has been tampered with. They DO NOT do repairs in-house. Your ring is received by the counter associate-shipped out via a carrier to a third party repair shop, returned to you via another carrier 4-6 weeks and later, and all jewelry department employees have unrestricted access to your jewelry until pick up. I read online that it takes longer to do a cleaning than it does to swap a diamond. NEEDLESS to say, when my ring came back, the center 2 ct stone was completely different.

It was not as shiny as it was when I first purchased the ring. The brilliance was lacking -- noticeably duller. I made a big fuss about it and it was clear that the counter associate was trained in a back room for 3 hours prior to her start date, and the manager was also clueless about jewelry related matters. They offered me a refund and I took it, because once you walk out of the store... You have no rights. It was a beautiful ring, but their practices are shady. BE careful. Never leave your ring unattended anywhere! Even for a cleaning, stand by and watch. A diamond can be swapped in a matter of minutes and you won't realize it until it is too late.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I gave them my order number and I know what I ordered and they continued to say I only ordered four of a buy one get one free, when I actually ordered six of buy three get three free... I looked at my screenshot of what I ordered and it was buy three get three free and they continued to say it was buy one get one free. I paid for three and should have received my three free. Instead I paid for three and got one free. How do they justify this? This is the second time they have done this... I also had a buy one pair of shoes get two free and never received the free shoes at all... Never got refunded or helped on this either. Will never shop JCPenney again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Purchased 4 piece bedroom set. The set arrived and delivery drivers brought all items in and begun to assemble all items. The 3 dressers were put together and the bed was the final item to be assembled. As the the pieces of the bed were removed from the box, the driver noticed that the side rails for the bed were dark brown instead of black like the entire rest of the set. I called JCPenney immediately to report that the wrong colored side rails were sent and wanted to request that the correct color side rails be sent instead. I was happy with the set, with the exception of the colors not matching. JCPenney stated that the side rails cannot be exchanged, but that the entire set needed to be returned. How frustrating already.

It's been 3 weeks, yesterday since the set was delivered and contact was made with JCPenney. At this time, the bedroom set remains in my home, half set up. We obviously can't use the items because everything needs to go back. I've spoken to JCPenney 7 times in the last 3 weeks and every time there's a different excuse for why the items have not been picked up. A few times, I was informed that my ticket was closed for an unknown reason. The ticket would then need to be reopened. I was informed another time that my request was closed and items weren't being picked up because I failed to pay the restocking and pick up fee.... I was never informed of such a fee and why would I pay this fee considering I didn't mess up the order or initiate the return. The return was initiated by JCPenney.

My last call to JCPenney occurred today. I have no idea when the items will finally be picked up so that I can be reimbursed and move on. I'm hopeful that something positive will happen over the next 2 days so that I don't have to place future calls.JCPenney says that once the pickup occurs, I can call them back and request a refund and then I can reorder. It's sad for JCPenney to believe that it's right to ask someone to call and request a refund for something that's being returned. Isn't that the natural next step and not something someone should have to call as ask for. I can't believe one would actually reorder items after going through a 3+ week nightmare to simply have some items we're unable to use be picked up.

My child's clothing is in garbage bags and his mattress is on the floor considering we can't use the furniture in his room. I missed work and pay on the day the items were delivered so I could be available and I've spent hours and hours on the phone since the delivery date trying to get the items picked up. This is beyond ridiculous at this point. I strongly discourage anyone from ordering from them. I know that after this issue is resolved, I'll never purchase from them again. Please carefully consider any other option than Penny's if looking to purchase furniture, etc.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My furniture was scheduled for delivery on 4/16/2019 between the hours of 4-6 PM by Ryder Company. I took time from work and got home at 1:50 Pm only to receive a voice message from JCP that the delivery person was at my home at 1:30 PM and any no one is there. I called them back immediately and told them that I was at home for my schedule delivery, and the delivery person should not have showed up before the appointed time at 2:00 PM, and then left stating I am not home.

JCP put me on hold for more than half an hour only to told me to reschedule because the furniture went back to warehouse. I told the woman that I did not do business with Ryder trucking but with them so I need my furniture delivered. She promised to give me a credit of $25.00, and brushed it off like it is not a big deal. At this point I am very upset because I have to take time off again from my job because I have to reschedule again for 4/23/19. This was not my fault, yet, I have to suffer the inconvenience. I will not order anything again from JCP. I will go to Amazon.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have had a credit card with JC Penney for 10 years. I have never missed or been late with a payment! My credit limit was lowered from $1800 to $100 for no reason! Their reason was because I went through a rough patch this winter that caused my credit score to drop. I have several other credit cards, none of which took this step! I paid my balance off & cancelled my card. I won't do business with a company that penalizes me for no reason!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I ordered a dining table set with 4 chairs, three of the four chairs were damaged. The people who delivered the furniture told me to contact JCPenney to resolve the problem. JCPenney gave me the option to either return the item for a refund or they can send someone to fix them. I decided on the repairman option, he came out and could not fix them and stated we have to order new legs for the chairs. I called JCPenney to make sure they placed the order, they stated the order has been placed and said they would contact me when the legs are in and the repairman will come back out.

1 month later I still haven't heard from them. I contact them and they state they are still waiting on the legs. I keep checking weekly until another month passes and I get fed up and ask for a specific delivery date. The rep that I spoke to checks and then states they never placed in the order for the legs. So all this time they are just lying, hoping you forget about what they promised.

I ask to speak with a manager and the rep said that there are no managers and everyone is on the same level in her department. She gave me the option to put in the order now for the legs or to be compensated $90 (my purchase was over $2000), but I can't get both even though they provided such an inconvenience. I chose to have the legs ordered. But the rep was so awful I call JCPenney corporate to report her and they check the status of the issue and said that the rep issued the refund of $90.

I told them that I had recorded my conversation with the rep and it clearly states that I want my furniture fixed. They said that once a compensation is order there is nothing they can do to fix it. I told them this unfair and that if they are going to sell me damaged good that I would be refunded an amount to reflect the price of the damaged furniture. They agreed to return 30% of the payment (I wasn't allowed to return the furniture at this point because it has been 3 months at this point).

I check 1.5 weeks later and they still haven't refunded me my money. I called and another rep said that they will fix my chairs now. I am beyond confused and livid at this point but agree to give her the serial number for the chairs as she requested. I call a week later to see if they are being delivered and a new rep said that they can't repair my furniture because I was refunded $90 already. I keep calling every other day trying to sort this out but each time it's a new rep and even when each new rep promise they will personally help this issue none of them pick up their extension or call me back.

It's been four months now, I still have the damaged furniture with no repair schedule, no option to return the damaged set, or a refund. The customer service employees for this company are the absolute laziest people, who I am sure are just wasting time away to get paid without having to do any work. Order from Wayfair or some other online company, anywhere is better than here.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We ordered cellular shades from them a month and half ago. When the shades were delivered to our house, I called the store to schedule the installation. I was told the installation was going to be done by another company belongs to JCPenney based in Texas and they could only put in my request through the system because they were not allowed to call that company directly. And once the request is received, someone will call me to schedule the installation. I waited 2 weeks but nobody contacted me. I called the store several times and all they could tell me was "I will send them another email". Finally someone from the Texas company called me and scheduled the installation. I was given a 4 hour window. When the day came, I waited 4 hours but nobody showed up. I called the store but got the same response - they were not responsible for the installation and they weren't allowed to call the installation company.

After demanding to speak to the supervisor, they finally gave me an 800 number to call. The customer service representative casually said "oh looks like the installer quit. If you want to re-schedule, the next availability is next Friday". Seriously??? Nobody thought of calling the customers and reschedule when they knew that person couldn't make it? What kind of company does that? And when I told her I wouldn't be needing their service anymore and asked for a refund (yes they already charged my credit card weeks ago), she immediately became very nasty. I will never purchase any product or use any service from JCPenney ever again. And I suggest you do the same if you don't want to deal with this bs.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We ordered a 2nd set of curtains like the ones we ordered from them previously. When we received them we realized we did not need that size and took them back. They would only refund the amount of the curtains and not the whole purchase which included almost 10.00 in shipping. When asked why they said they provided a service to us and basically not their fault we couldn't use them. Nowhere did it say beforehand they would not refund all the charge. Will never order from there or shop there again if that is the way they treat their customers.

Original review: March 27, 2019

This company is terrible. Do not do any buisness with them... They will ship you defective items and refuse to send a replacement without charging you for it... Customer service is the absoulute worst and hung up 3 times on me when I was simply inquiring about the damaged necklace..... They have forced me to issue a chargeback on my card as they would not provide a replacement and me and my wife will no longer be ordering from them ever again... I can't believe how deceiving this company is. No wonder they will be going out of business in the next few years they have 0 respect for their customers.

Original review: March 27, 2019

They run too high with cost of everything extra, I mean charge glass and point of the what need is charge then add on stuff you probably don't need little thing like bright light should come with glasses. Frames are cheap and usually break, that a neglected, it just too much charge for people with low income, I think trying to get rich off seeing.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Customer Service transfer me to 'Corporate Relations'. Spoke with VETTA. She was Rude and Condescending, didn't make any attempt to clarify why I only got 50% of the amount charged when I returned the items purchased online to the Northridge store within 3 week from arrival. All she said is that she's in Ohio and I needed to go back to the store where I did the return because she wasn't there at the time of the return???

When I mentioned that she has been rude and that expected more from Corporate Relations, that even the person who transfer me to her was much courteous, she responded that she's in the Corporate offices and SUPERIOR to the person who transferred me! Really? She decided to transfer me to another lady who 2 minutes in the conversation hang up on me. Third person I spoke with was a male named Lency, said that the return was done the night before and that I needed to call back after 3 days when the charges show on my credit card. Don't they have records of transactions? Seems like no one is willing make any effort to help. Too bad, I used to like JCPenney.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased a clearance item online and by the time I picked it up the price had gone down. When I asked the clerk if I could get the difference she called a manager who denied stating they don't do price differences on clearance merchandise. So I called the customer sec # and was told the same thing. I went to their policies and in writing it says nothing to that effect and called back and after a conversation she gave me the corporate number. They didn't even hesitate and assured I would get the difference back in my account. Just to think how many people they have done that too. I cut up my charge and I will no longer shop there.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

The last 2 times I've ordered online from JCPenney, I never get my order, or notifications regarding my order. This is twice now that I order and get an email saying is has shipped, but don't come to the store yet for pickup as the full order is not in yet. Then that's it. You never hear again. You finally call the 800 customer service number and they say that some are shipped but not others and to contact the store directly. You then contact the store and they say that most of the order was shorted and that they will have to return it all and try to reorder with no guarantee you will get your stuff.

Okay, so why haven't I been notified for over 2 weeks about it, yet they charged my card immediately. They also had me give them my card number over the phone if I want to try to reorder. I should have known after the first time this happened, but really want to support other stores, but won't make this mistake again. They just take and use your money and never provide the products. Just sad that they are their own undoing in this world of Amazon etc.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I see why this company is struggling. Their service is HORRIBLE! I won't go into a long story but in the day of online shopping, Amazon and all, these people have fallen so far behind they are not even considerable anymore. I ordered several items from them, one showed up in the store. I spend the next 40 MINUTES!!! trying to resolve the issue. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ordered again. One month later, no items AND THEY CHARGE YOUR CARD!!! I made several phone calls to resolve the issue. They promised a refund and here we are 9 days later - no refund. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased a mattress from JCPenney 12/11/18. Delivered 12/28. I contacted the co. about the faulty sagging mattress 1/30/19. They wanted to charge $85 plus 15% restocking fee and they would return the purchase price. We don't have this money for a faulty mattress.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought a watch from JCPenney and was hard sold a jewelry care plan. Associate who sold me the watch told me her husband had the same exact one and that if the band ever got worn out they would replace it. That’s exactly what happened, and when I brought it in for replacements they told me that because it was cosmetic there was nothing they could do. Because of this experience I will never purchase another item from this company again. They lost me because they wouldn’t replace a $20 watch band. JCPenney is not a customer-focused business and they deserve to go bankrupt.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My fiance went into JC Penney about a month ago and paid 1500.00 for a engagement ring. He left the ring there to be sized which took 3 weeks. When he went to pick the ring up the ring was lost and management had to come help locate it. He purposed 2 days later. The first day I wore it two diamonds fell out. I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR A RING YOU SHOULDN'T LOSE TWO DIAMONDS THE FIRST DAY YOU PUT IT ON. He called and spoke with management and was told since he didn't buy the extended warranty there was nothing they could do. IF YOU NEED TO BUY JEWELRY PLEASE DON'T GO TO JC PENNEY. THEY ARE A RIP OFF! Go to an actual jewelry store and get your money's worth.

JCPenney Company Information