3.8/5 (712 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: July 12, 2018

Purchased a cooktop and range hood with free installation. Units were just delivered today only to be told by a third party delivery team these items don't get installed. Called JCPenney's sales that confirmed they do not do installs on cooktops. Sales said take it up with the local store for any kind or comp or rectification. JCPenney is not ready to sell appliances.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Please don't buy appliances from JCPenney! We ordered a fridge, it was delayed, so we bought a mini fridge to keep our food cold. When fridge got here, it had a dent, took forever on the phone for the process. And then the ice water machine didn't work, the fridge is so loud it's struggle to stay alive. Again took forever to tell JCPenney that. They wouldn't do anything. They said we could talk after compensation AFTER we pay and delivered. And again took hours to talk to them. Worst customer service. They lied all the time to get the item to your house, then ignore you.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Bought a refrigerator. Was not able to put it in place as I was doing a kitchen remodel. This unit was a countertop depth refrigerator and unfortunately I have a wall to the left side of the refrigerator. Well it will not work. Went to the store to do an exchange and was told no. Only have 48 hours from the time of delivery to do an exchange. Was never told this. I have had the refrigerator in place for 3 days. Would not let me do an exchange. Now I am stuck with this unit that cost me 3000.00 and does not work in my opening. Went to the store. Talked to customer service. Was told if I pay a 15 percent restock fee they would let me exchange. Said, "That's great. Let's do it." As we were getting ready to write the new order was told they changed their minds that I had to keep the one I have. What kind of ** is that. Do not buy your appliances there. Customers don't matter to them. Will never do business with them again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I bought a dryer from JCPenney, I went into the store to pick one out and take home. JCPenney has delivery only, my dryer was out and I only had to wait 5 days. The delivery men show up to hook up my dryer and shorted out my plugin which shut off the circuit breaker. The man rewired my electrical outlet. Turned on my dryer and it made this awful sound. They said it was defective and would have to bring me another one 8 days later. After the drivers left I immediately called JCPenney and canceled my order because I could not wait 8 more days.

I found out through my credit statement the account had not been canceled. I called again a week and a half later. Finally got my order canceled and they charged me 15% for restocking fee. In addition charged me for dryer vent (which they did leave here) and a dryer cord (which they took with them). So I was charged a $100.00 for nothing other than a $26.00 power cord. JCPenney should not be selling appliance or DO NOT BUY any appliance from them. It is a ripoff.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ordered an item online which was to have a rebate. I completed the online rebate form, but the rebate never arrived. Months later, I contacted them, and they said that I had not submitted a copy of my receipt. It was an ONLINE submission. And when were they going to tell me this? What a scam.

Original review: June 26, 2018

They sold us a bad stove. Called and reported. Even we had a warranty on it, they did not do anything about it beside been rude and put us on holds. Stay away from these business, do your shopping at somewhere who value you as a customer.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I don't normally leave reviews, but after years of steering clear of JCPenney, I decided to give them a second chance and take advantage of their Bonus Bucks promo this past weekend. On the Friday the 15th, I ordered $178 worth of merchandise, and when my 'use the same day reward' didn't show up in my rewards I called to find out why. I was told that they would not hit my account until the order shipped and to check again on Monday. I kept an eye on it all week, and when the order finally shipped on the 20th I was told that it would have had to ship by Sunday the 17th to be eligible. They refused to acknowledge the misleading information I received from their representative, or to accommodate me in any way.

So now I will return all of my items and take my business elsewhere. Not only did they take five days to ship, they took away the promo that gave me incentive to place the order that day. The ad said that unlike other companies who make you wait for your bonus rewards, they allow you to spend them the same day, but read the fine print... If you order online then you had better hope your order ships in time or you get nothing at all, even though they took payment on the 15th. Most companies don't take payment until the order ships. This is a failed attempt to compete with Kohl's who never do their customers this way. It's no wonder they have bad reviews, and are on the brink of failing as a business. They missed the mark, and lost me as a customer, again.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Order a full king bed online, and I never got my mattress after a month and 1/2. They tell me that the order was cancel, but they can't tell me who cancel the order, and now I have to reorder everything all over again, which I ended up paying deliveries fees, recycling fees, etc. Worst online experience with a retailer, and I would not recommend JCPenney at all, for online purchases.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Bad experience at JCPenney, Ross Mall, Pittsburgh, PA - It’s very unfortunate that I’m being policed around the store for shopping here. A strange human was just following me all through the store. What’s wrong with their CCTV, and internal security systems? I had a very horrible and uncomfortable shopping experience here. I don’t like to do JCPenney from now on.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I am writing this complaint for my mother. She always has a credit card with this company. She sold her home and moved in with me four years ago. She has a great income and savings, that would make anyone blush! She went to use her card and noticed it had expired (much like that thought she did, as there was no activity for a few years). So, I contacted JCPenney, explained that she was indeed alive and kicking. They told me to do an online application (which I did) and they would contact us.

A few weeks went by and we get a letter saying we needed to phone them. We did, they spoke with my mom, she answered their questions. Again they said we would be getting a letter in a few weeks. Well, we got that letter today and she was denied. I phone and asked why...they would not tell me. Excuse me? I just did a credit check on her and her credit score is great! So, what's the problem? If they checked her Bank Accounts they would be happy to see her spend in their store. I'm sorry but they left me no choice than to report this.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I purchased a livingroom set last June. In addition to the horrible experience with delivery, I also am experiencing living with a poorly made sofa. The seat sagged within months, and the padding on the arms flattened. We are a family of 4, and sit equally on all seats, but this particular side on the sofa dented. I called JCPenney a month ago, and was told someone would get back to me with a date to come and add more stuffing to the arms and seat. I hadnt heard from anyone, so I decided to call back before the 1 year passed. This time I was informed it's not under the manufacturers warranty. At one time, JCPenney sold decent quality furniture. I will NEVER purchase furniture from them again, I'd go to a second hand store first! Shame on you JCPenney for not standing by your furniture. This particular set has been unavailable for quite some time...now I know why!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Excellent sales, great customer service and clean store too. Happy with the merchandise. Good displays very colorful. Styles of clothing. Very good selection of goods. Excellent styling salon. Great jewelry. They also have nice makeup and perfume counter as well.

Original review: June 2, 2018

At a staggering 26.99 interest rate this is one of the worse possible cards you could own. Unfortunately, I had one and they had my credit limit at $7300. I paid the entire balance off and I guess I missed a little bit of change or something because the next "statement" said that my payment was past due $39.77. That one late payment in the years of having JCP card brought my credit limit down from $7300 to $500. A total of $6800 which will totally mess up my available credit and will mess up my credit score. Thank you JCP. I will be posting this on every single review website I can find.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Sephora in JC Penney are a joke and knockoffs of the real store in terms of product knowledge and recommendations. I was referred to a setting powder that was not a setting powder but a mix in with foundation (I had never heard of that). So I purchased and threw away the receipt because all Sephora have the best return policy ever. When I figured how it wasn't setting powder 1 week later and returned, they gave me an inhouse merchandise credit that they said could be used online because the product I wanted wasn't in store... Turns out it can't be. Wrong again!!!

The associate #** at store #2877 for transaction scoffed at me rudely that I didn't have my receipt and tried to me feel silly for purchasing the powder when one of her colleagues told me it was setting powder and pointed out that I should have read the box. Seriously?? You guys work there and should be experts... I have always had positive experiences at Sephora and this was just the worst... I will never step foot in JC Penney's for the rest of my life ever. The only time I pondered going in was the Sephora is closer. Done. You should seriously fire that employee, she's costing you business. No wonder you guys are going out of business.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My email stated that my order was ready for pickup at the Town Center J.C. Penney in Hampton, VA and when I went to the store after work the clerk said it was not there. She would not call the online number that I had, she said that I was mistaken and it was being shipped. Not ready for pickup. I called the online number and they confirmed that my order was ready for pickup. I was dismissed by the younger clerk because I was older and made to feel I could not read "ready for pickup". I was not happy with the way the clerk dismissed what I was saying to her. All Baby boomers are not ready for the nursing home!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Ordered some cargo shorts from JCP online. Realized immediately that I ordered the wrong size. You can’t cancel online, but rather call their number within 10 minutes. I immediately called and was put on hold for 20 minutes. I was informed that I waited too long to cancel even though they had me on hold. Now I will have to return items to store and I will be out shipping costs. No wonder they’re going out of business. I’ll stick with Amazon for now on.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I placed order for a pair of shoes online. I was supposed to get it between 7 to 10 days. Assured date by May 12th. Never received it. Called them. They said it is shipped to local store. Local store says they never got anything. Called them back to cancel. They say they cannot cancel and local store needs to do it. Local store says they don't have anything on the order to cancel. It is just a runaround. They just pocketed my money and refuse to give the item ordered. Now have to call my bank and place a dispute. Horrible experience. Never order anything online from JCPenney.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Ordered towels for a Mother's Day present, was shorted, called in and was promised they would be overnighted to me so I would have them before Mother's Day. Get a notice will be here on Monday, day after Mother's Day. Called and spoke to 4 different supervisors and did not get this resolved and was finally given a pitiful $5 credit. What a joke!!! Apparently you cannot trust this company to do what they say they will do, customer service is nonexistent with JCPenney. They should have refunded the whole amount of the 2 towels they shorted me and said keep them for your trouble. This would not be a big issue, most people would have just went to the store and got them there, but I am disabled as I told them and cannot get to the store. So this was and is a BIG stressor for me. What happened to keeping your customers happy and doing the right thing?

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have had a JCPenney card for many years. I use it and then pay off the balance on time and have never been delinquent at any point. Because I am in debt on something else, not even a credit card JCPenney took it upon themselves to close a perfectly good account for no reason and did not even attempt to inform me. Please beware even if you do the right thing and make payments and are trying to get credit re-established. Do not trust JCPenney Card Services. It's unfortunate they just lost such a good customer. The worst part is I am a senior and their clothes and those items fit well. A lot of us shop (or shopped) there. I am spreading this message to everyone I know to not trust them. Due to an illness I became delinquent on something, though no fault of my own and that balance is only 900.00. This is an unacceptable practice, not that I can't get another card somewhere else, this one was just inconvenient.

Original review: May 5, 2018

JCPenney in Green Acres Mall is by far the worst ever. I explain to a sale associate I just lost my mother and I just wanted to look for a dress, she told me "sorry for your lost, but the store is closed." Anyone that was on the line to pay for their purchases, she made everyone get off. Her response "these people think we don't have a life." Also I asked the associated at the jewelry counter could she ring me up. I had two pair of earrings in my hand. Her response "I'm the only one here and it's going to be a while."

There was one customer standing in front of her and she and the customer were taking turns talking on the phone. I believe she was trying to help with credit issues for the customer. She kept telling the customer to ask why about credit issues. They were on the phone about 20 minutes. I bought this to the manager's attention. His response "Oh yeah we only have one person working with the high end jewelry at a time." I also told him about the long lines. He said it should be three registers open but it was only one. However did make the other associates open up. I was on the store about 45 minutes and walked out without anything.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I got the JCPenney app. There's a feature there that's said save your gift card for life. So all you have to do is punch in the gift card info and it's saved there until you want to use it. Well I did that. The card disappeared somehow. I called JCPenney and they haven't even called me back. So be careful out. The app has glitches. I lost my Christmas gift to them.

Original review: May 3, 2018

If this company goes under I would not be surprised. I will never ever order anything from this store again. Every other business is encouraging consumers to order online and pick up in store. They will even give you discount for in store pickup. Not JCPenney. These guys will actually charge you for shipping to the store. Don't you know that getting people to the store should be your main marketing strategy to get people in the store since you are mainly a brick and mortar business? Most other businesses will bend backward to get your item to you as fast as possible. These guys will do everything to delay your order.

Now my story. Ordered a shoe online on April 24. Order was shipped and received by the store in North Attleboro, MA on April 30th. Today, May 3, and these guys in North Attleboro do not even know what I ordered. My shoe is probably sitting on a wet floor somewhere in the loading dock waiting for someone to trip over it before they send me a notification to come get my item. Last time I am ever ordering from JCPenney.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but many of the dress shirts JCP has marked down with special "clearance" pricing always say, "Few Left" are actually SOLD OUT when you try to make a purchase. I've lost track the number of times I've seen dress shirts that were on clearance sale with a special discounted price that were actually sold out and continued to advertise the special clearance discounted price for days before the shirt was removed from the website. They might as well advertise they have washers & dryers on sale for $19.95 each while supplies last.

When people try to buy those items for that price JCP will conveniently be "SOLD OUT". They do this type of advertising all the time with men's dress shirts that are on "clearance" sale and they will be the first to tell you there is NO such thing as a "rain check" for ANY item on "clearance" sale...price is ONLY good while supplies last. Effectively, JCP is conducting a bait & switch. When a clearance item becomes sold out (CONVENIENTLY happens a LOT with men's dress shirts) they are fast to tell you about similar items available at their everyday low pricing...such a deal...NOT! Bait & switch is just another form of a scam. Kohl's DOESN'T play these "clearance" pricing games.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Made purchase of a dryer on 4/21/18 delivered 4/28/18. Dryer was too large for space. Return dryer with delivery guys. Went back to store to process a return where not so easy. At time of purchased customer service at store advice me of saving purchasing with gift card. I agreed. So placed money on gift card. Made my purchase. Now to process my return call customer service call center to have funds return to gift cards which I have in my hands. I was told I need go back to store to complete process.

A bunch of BS on the day I was in the store for return. Was advised CS call center would complete my return and assist with new purchase order. Not. So they advised a check is being generated which could take 7/14 days once mailed. It had not been cut or sent out. I called their Corporate office to advise I definitely was not happy as customer. Their processes and procedures need some changes where everyone on same accord. I have been a lifetime customer. May have make some changes. Waiting for a call back from corporate.

Original review: April 30, 2018

We bought two of the same leather recliner made by a company called Bryce. The leather on one of the chairs is peeling in small strips and coming off. Looks horrible. Penney's customer service says we've had them too long (18 mos.) and they won't help us. One of the chairs is still in perfect shape. The other one is simply defective. Penney's should stand behind what they sell. Sorry to say our family has been a Penney's customer for years, since I was a little kid. Not any more.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Well I have finally had it with JCPenney. I have shopping at JCPenney for most of my life. As a child this is where my mom usually took me for clothing and I have continued there as an adult for most of my 75 years. The past maybe 10 years customer service has become almost none. You can never find anyone on the floor to assist you. There are few places in the store to actually pay for your items and often there is a long line and wait. So I'm done with JCPenney and will be shopping some place else.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I shopped around for a coastal bedding set and found one on JCP site for $230. With their 60% off coupon, the price dropped to $92. I thought I was getting a great deal. Shipping was $9, plus another $4 for 'oversized item', for a grand total of $105. Shortly after I placed the order, I came upon the exact same set, same brand new, same items included, at Bed Bath & Beyond for $80. Using my 20% off coupon brought the BB&B price down to $64 and they shipped it to my house for free. Not such a great JCP coupon after all.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I ordered Roman shades online. I attached the brackets to my window only to find out they do not fit with the shade. There is no way to hang them on the provided brackets. When I called customer service I was transferred around in mid-sentence and ended up being talked down to by a very nasty person. This is who they employ to help customers buying their crap. I'm trying to figure out how someone like this who is making minimum wage and speaks like she has a third grade education gets such an enormous attitude. How do these people act as if they are better than everyone? I'm never going at JCPenney again. I seriously can't understand how they're in business!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I waited over a month for shipping information only to be told it'd be another 6-8 weeks more because I had asked for a price adjustment only days after we purchased. We decided to cancel our order and it has now been over a month and still haven't received our refund. Their customer service doesn't even show a trace of our refund and is instead blaming my bank for holding my funds which I know it's not true. I will never consider dealing with them for any future furniture orders.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am a cardholder and receive mail coupons with offers and promotions. The most recent is an "in-store only" promotion that began today 4/20/2018 and is supposed to run through 05/13/2018. When I arrived in store to receive my free 10 piece sample pack from Sephora they were OUT. I think this is false advertising to get patrons in the store.

JCPenney Company Information