2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.9/5 (374 ratings)

About Goodwill Store

Goodwill Store Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: June 15, 2021

I just learned hard way don't buy any clothes without trying on. I tried to return 2 item. A skirt and pants. Their dressing room is closed so I had to guess if it fit or not. Well neither fit and I called because I have looked all over and no receipt. I called. They said I can return my item for 1.00. So I pay 10.00, I return for 1.00 (10%) of what I paid and you are going to sell again for 10.00? Yeah I know why I will never go to Goodwill ever again. They get free donations and sell them 1000% markup. And if you need to return without receipt they give you a whole 10% of what you paid so they can mark it up 1000% again. And they are non profit? But they make tons of profit? What a joke. They are the biggest scam in largest degree.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Goodwill in Greensburg and Batesville indiana and most all Goodwills are overpriced for stuff donated (free) given to them. Most of the stuff I can get new cheaper elsewhere. Not about helping the poor but making the owner rich. Also almost all Goodwills have their music so loud you can't think straight. Bring back half off Saturdays and open the dressing rooms already, covid doesn't know what day of the week it is.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I have had the manager, Chad, at the Tigard Goodwill repeatedly harass and embarrass me when I had an item to return. The first time he said I was lying and did not buy the item (a coat) at “his” store. And today he again said my items did not come from his store. Both times, after checking the camera footage, it was proven he was wrong and that my items WERE bought at that store. Both times I was returning within 14 days and the tags were attached. Neither time did he apologize for being wrong and for accusing me of being a thief.

In fact today he said he was giving me a warning and if I did again he would ban me from ALL GOODWILLS FOR LIFE! When I asked what the warning was for he raised his voice and said for fraudulently returning items and tampering with tags. He accused me of removing tags, even though the camera showed I bought the items at that store the day before and despite all his berating, he did approve the return so it made no sense to me. He was extremely rude and humiliated me for something I did not even do, multiple times.

Normally I would not have returns but since goodwill's dressing rooms have been closed because of the pandemic I have a had a couple items that did not fit (as I’m sure many people have). The management should not be punishing and embarrassing customers who are following company policy for returning merchandise. I’m scared to even shop there now.

I am a domestic violence survivor and having a man speak to me the way the man did is triggering and causes emotional turmoil for me. Something I did not expect to have happen while shipping at a reputable company that claims to be an advocate for domestic violence awareness. Goodwill should not be employing people who are disrespectful and not trained or capable of positive customer service. He was very unprofessional and acted superior and arrogant.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

This store is in Oak Hill West VA. All used products in store are dirty and with the pandemic going on. Also masks aren't enforced and the store is hot. The manager is extremely rude. I was in line for over 20 mins while the cashier took her time and talked with every customer like they were her best friend. Plus there wasn't social distancing going on in this store and the manager wasn't wearing a mask. I finally got disgusted and left store without buying anything. When I got back to my car I tried to call the store to voice my complaint and was told by the maskless manager that she was allowed to talk to customers and then he hung up on me. This store is in need of new management bad. Sincerely I'm not done with this.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Managers in Bayville, NJ do not enforce mask wearing or social distancing. They overprice items they get free. Good merchandise is sold online. Nothing is cleaned. Workers are overworked, so cranky.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

These stores received large donations during the pandemic. Where are those things, not in their stores. Prices are much higher too. Have a feeling those things are sold at higher prices online and leftovers in stores. They better change their ways. People are not going to dig through all the junk for that one thing worth the price. I would rather pay a dollar or two more and buy it at Wal-Mart. You're loss Goodwill. There are much better thrift stores than theirs. CHKD has much better prices and better hours.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I come to the store quite often and normally everything is great. I post good reviews too. However this time around, I was going to try on some clothes and all the doors said “in use”...Where as a few weeks before they were open so you could get in without a key. So I asked a young girl at the “service desk“ near the entrance if they had gone back to having them all closed again because of Covid. She simply said “they should be open” and when I explained they weren’t, she said “well there should be someone over there“...and continued to have her conversation with the other young girls at the desk.

I went over to the changing rooms again and no one was there, so I looked across the store at the girl and put my hands up like...nope, there is no one here. She didn’t help or call anyone to help....She was short and seem very uninterested in helping. I wish I would’ve got the name....but management should be aware of how they were acting. I walked out without buying the several items I had in my cart.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I was at the Goodwill in Louisville KY and have noticed that they have raised their prices like 4 times in the past months. Not only are we in a pandemic but this is items that they get for free. I seen a vase not very big full of costume jewelry that is usually 20 to 30 dollars now 99.99. WOW REALLY NO. That is highway robbery and is making goodwill seem ridiculously greedy. I shop there very regularly and now I'm starting to not over the price markup. Goodwill needs to go back to the simple pricing cause it's supposed to be non profit **. I'm sad over it really. I love the goodwill but not the new prices.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I was at Goodwill in Cleveland Tn & purchased a wicker rocking chair. I pd for the item & explained to the cashier that I would be back to pick up the chair because it would not fit in my car. She then explained that the pickup closed at 5:30 & it was already 5:25. She said it would be fine to come pick it up tomorrow. I show up the next day & spoke to the manager who was there & told her I would have to pick up the chair the following day. Would that be a problem. She looked at my ticket. Told me no. That would be perfectly fine since I came up to the store & communicated with her the reason why.

I get a truck the next day & go to the store to pick up my chair. Showed the employee my ticket & he went to find the chair. After 30 mins of waiting on him to return he tells me that the chair is gone. I asked, "Well where did it go" & he said, "I dont know." He tells me that I will have to get a store credit. I told him no. I wanted my money back. Not a store credit. I then went to the front & asked to speak to a manager & was told she was not there. I explained what happened. Showed her my ticket & wanted my money back. She went to look for the chair again because she couldn't believe the chair was gone. The ticket has to go in a book of who and when it was purchased & there was no record of it. Thank goodness I had my ticket still because the other was gone. They did end up giving me my money back but no sorry or reasoning why this happened. Very frustrating!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I am 67 years old, have been a loyal Goodwill shopper since I was in my 20's, I don't know what's happened to Goodwill but I have never seen practices like I have experienced lately. I usually go to find good prices on clothes, I look at the sale color code when I walk in the door and try to find that color. I did this last week just to find several employees taking that sale color off the floor! I asked one of the employees why they were taking all the sale priced items off the floor and informed her I was there to see the sale priced items. Now mind you this was in the middle of the sale week not at the end of it. She told me they were taking the items off the floor so they had room for more non sale items. I've seen them do this before this Covid 19 crises and let it go but then when I saw the same merchandise that was previously marked on sale back out on the floor at regular price I started to wonder about the practices of Goodwill.

Are they really taking merchandise that was on sale and repricing it regular price? Not only that but not even waiting for the sale to go away for the next week! I tried to look for the sale prices and there were hardly any on the floor! To top it all off the employees are sour faced and grumpy. I don't think they are treated very well anymore. Like I said I have gone to Goodwill all my life and up until very recently the employees were nice and smiled and were friendly. Now not so much!

Well I think I'm done with Goodwill, there are plenty of other Thrift stores I can go to that are reasonably priced, have nice employees and don't cheat their customers.

Goodwill Store Company Information