3.73/5

672 Goodwill Store Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Goodwill of Arkansas is an excellent place to shop. I love that the employees are always happy and helpful. The stuff for sale is very neat and organized. The bathrooms are clean as well. I also like the fact that leaving donations is very easy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

In a nutshell, I'm a US vet, suffering from PTSD. Aubrey you went the extra mile, and have the magic touch for customers and keeping them happy. You were my best memory in a while... Thanks for making me feel special.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Well first off I want to say that I completely understand why Goodwill is raising their prices. From someone who runs an eBay business and makes thousands of dollars a month from reselling Goodwill's items I can honestly say I don't blame them. I have been in different Goodwills across the East coast almost every day multiple times a day. They are being competitive. 80 percent of Goodwill shoppers resell in some way shape or form. Whether a yard sale, online, or antique booth or swap meet.

I know this because I talk and see what's going on. The other 15 percent are people driving BMW's and Mercedes that are sick and get off saving big bucks at Goodwill. It's a greedy sickness and it's everywhere. The other 5 percent is actual people who need affordable thrifted items. 95 percent of people leaving reviews here are the reason the prices are going up. You know who you are and I am one of them. I don't complain... it's just a part of business. Simple supply and demand.

Original review: June 8, 2019

The absolute greed of this company blows my mind. I have shopped at and donated to the local stores for years today was my last trip. The markups on the name brand items are sickening, part of it used to be that you could find items that you couldn’t afford or didn’t want to spend big money on at retail stores, that’s no longer the case because of this company's greed. Thanks Goodwill. I will never darken your door again. I used to stop quite often. Now I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have an account that had some past due items due to a family emergency. I asked customer service to remove them. They said they did, but in fact they were still on my account. I then asked them to close my account if they could resolve it and I would just open a new one. Now they have disabled my account and I cannot open a new one. I have called and sent them multiple emails. I need them to open my account and fix this issue with the unpaid items ASAP. They can add them back with a pay button or remove them if relisted. Desired Resolution: Finish the Job. Desired Outcome: Fix my account, by reinstating it and remove the past due items (user name **). I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on Shopgoodwill.com, and have been treated horribly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: May 30, 2019

*Submitted as complaint on Goodwill's official website; posting here to share with others.* There has suddenly been a ridiculous new organization of the Lawrence, KS store where housewares are organized by COLOR (they used to be organized by use, which made way more sense...). The prices have suddenly skyrocketed. Worst of all, though, is this one employee (possibly the manager?) who seems to have a very skewed sense of what it means to work in customer service (or anywhere near other humans, apparently).

There is an older female employee (I believe her name is Catherine, or something similar; about 50+ years old, **, grey, curly hair; ~150 lbs?) who I have had numerous unpleasant experiences with. Today, I came through the donation drive-through line to donate one garbage bag and one small box of items. She was assisted by a younger male employee, named Chance (he had written his name on the tax form I requested; he was very polite and helpful).

The female employee was extremely curt and unfriendly, and before I could utter a greeting, ripped open my plastic bag while asking "What are these? Clothes or what?" and then berated me when I apologized and explained I didn't know that I needed to sort the items myself. She glared up at me and said, "That's why you call and ASK!" Feeling defensive and a little shocked, I explained that, frankly, the last few times I had come into the store, I felt very unwelcome by the way she had spoken to me when I tried to make a return or when I asked for assistance to open the dressing room.

While rummaging angrily through my plastic bag of donations, she made a series of insulting and judgmental remarks about the items I was donating. I've shopped at Goodwill for years, and I always make a point to NOT donate things that are broken, dirty, or useless because I know the toll it takes on shoppers and employees alike to have to sift through junk. I felt totally humiliated, and was frankly appalled that this employee would treat a customer who not only frequents the store, but has also brought in items for DONATION, with such disrespect. As I drove off, she bellowed at the car behind me to "KEEP THAT IN THE CAR!" (they were donating a large piece of furniture). Unbelievable.

I have seen and overheard her treat other customers in a similar way on numerous occasions, even in the donation drop-off line, where one would think patrons would be treated with not only respect, but perhaps gratitude. Such was not the case today. Details on the day I made the return: I came in around 6 or 7pm one weekday to make a return (with receipt) six days after a purchase. After standing at the register for several minutes while she lectured to a younger female employee, I finally was helped. The older female employee in question looked me up and down as I asked to make a return. She slowly and condescendingly counted on her fingers while examining my receipt, I assume to express that I was very close to the cutoff for returns.

I was aware of the number of days that had passed, and apologized, explaining, however, that I work every day of the week but Wednesday (the day I came in to make the return). She sighed and begrudgingly processed the return. When I purchased items later that night, I opted to round up to the nearest dollar and also use my return credit (which turned out to be almost $2 lower than what I'd paid in the first place!). I left, and decided to attribute the employee's insulting and unfriendly behavior to a simple miscommunication/misreading of her body language, or a bad day.

The events that transpired in the donation drive-through line today, 5/29/19, lead me to believe that this employee may very well be unpleasant all the time. I am confused how someone so clearly inept at providing even remotely good customer service is employed at a nationwide chain of Goodwill's caliber and reputation. While I was once a frequent shopper, and have often donated saleable goods to the organization, until changes are made I will no longer be visiting this Goodwill location (which is the only Goodwill store in my town).

Original review: May 20, 2019

They sell broken items, tape them up to hide it, then refuse to allow your to return it. Getting free stuff and still taking advantage. Managers are rude, their staff sucks, and they're all lazy. Will stop going here.

Original review: May 16, 2019

On Nov 23, 2018 I purchased an item from GOODWILL and I never opened or took item out of store. I asked for a refund but sales clerk denied refund, I spoke with manager and she denied as well. I am in military and I was activated on orders. I am not in Miami. Item stayed in store. I contacted my bank and filed a claim. Bank contacted GOODWILL and GOODWILL never responded. I was informed by the bank receptionist that GOODWILL was provided with a deadline of January 29 to respond but to this day has not responded. It is now May of 2019 and I have received no resolution. My funds have not been returned. I have attempted to call GOODWILL many times but no resolution has been provided. GOODWILL store in Miami 5254

Original review: May 11, 2019

Goodwill stores in E KY have a price guide they are required to follow. For example: Purses are suppose to be $3.59 however all the designer purses are put under lock and key with price tags of $25 or more. Why? I’m starting to think the employees are pricing these items and putting the extra money they make in their pockets????

Original review: May 9, 2019

It was REALLY BAD! Both a manager & cashier (Kassandra) continuously made fun of me! The **, possible manager even smelled the crotch of a pair of pants I returned, said, "Eew!" Really loud & both busted out laughing & kept talking about me right in front of my daughter & a line full of people! Multiple issues during visit. Doesn't deserve any more of my time & energy! Will NEVER shop in another Goodwill again!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Prices on everything seem to be higher each time we go in there. They have items that aren't brand new and there more experience in Goodwill the the original retail store it's from. I thought the Goodwill was supposed to be a store with low discounted prices to help people in the community purchase things they may otherwise not be able to afford! Someone really needs to go into this store and realize what's going on. I bought something the other day and the Goodwill price tag came off and below was the original price from where it came from, Goodwill had jacked up the price $2 more from the original retail price, that is not ok! I was completely taken advantage of! And they sell sets of speakers that should be sold together all separate. Way overpriced.

Original review: May 5, 2019

So now the Goodwill is taking certain items and auctioning them off or selling them online. I go to the auctions and see the same man buying everything and bragging about how he buys all the good stuff and sells it for a lot more. Every week he comes in bragging about it. Shows up late to the auctions and "attempts" to stand in front of people who arrived early. Not on my watch. This is just another example of a greedy company and a CEO who gets rich off of other people's throw-aways. $3 for a hardback book and $2 for a soft cover. Some things are priced at or above what you can get them brand new. Time for a new CEO Goodwill.

Original review: May 1, 2019

The online auction site locked me out and customer service of which there is none made me late paying on items. Then they locked my account!!! No response. No answer. No service. They get free stuff and get rich - they have gotten too greedy recently. Take your money to Salvation Army instead!!! I hate the Goodwill and now will not even go to their stores!!! Greedy company with no care for the free stuff. They are ripping people off selling!!! Go somewhere else. They are a business. They do not help anyone!!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Goodwill in Daleville, Virginia has increased prices to the extreme! Everything is donated and a book price is 3.00. I find I can go to Ollie's or any other retail store and find cheaper prices! How is their prices helping low income or people without any income!! Will not go back or donate to Goodwill!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I saw a box of 6 Multi Grain crackers that I like but their price was $8 and the box was broken and taped together and I had just purchased a box from Costco for $6.39. Also saw canned veggies for .89 & .75 ea but I buy them all the time at Aldis for .45. I picked up a pair of ladies shorts and other items and went to try them on and found that the shorts were all bloody.. I didn't even bother to try on the other items.. I really don't understand why this Industry isn't regulated by the government.. It's supposed to be a place for the poor to be able to help their families, but it isn't.. I agree with all the reviewers.. They rip people off.. Where's the humanity in that..

Original review: April 20, 2019

Goodwill in Flower Mound, TX. I asked to see a box of Legos that was being auctioned. I just wanted to verify there were actually Legos in the box. The employee behind the counter told me Goodwill does not allow silent auction items to be inspected before the auction ends. I asked if the set was complete and was told they didn’t know. They never opened the box. I asked if she was certain there were even Legos in the box. Again, she didn’t know. I’ve had the same (frustrating) conversation with a closed box of comic books. I wish this company would understand the difference between a silent auction and a mystery grab bag!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I scheduled a pickup at my deceased brother's house. Unfortunately the power was off (unknown to me) and they refused to take anything except a filing cabinet. They said they couldn't see the items so therefore they couldn't take them. Seriously!! We had all of the blinds up and I could see the condition of everything. Mind you, this wasn't junk, new clothes with tags on them, computer desk, etc. I discarded items that weren't any good. I will NEVER donate or buy from Goodwill.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Haven’t been to Goodwill for the past six months and decided to stop by. Kids needed some shoes. The last time I purchased shoes there, they were $5-$8. Now they are at $12-$15. Forget that, I went to Payless and took advantage of their store closing deals up to 60% off within budget.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Looks like garage sales might be all that's left for people with low or fixed income. For several years the only way to catch a deal at Goodwill was to shop strictly for the 50% discount colored tags. Now they're gone and so am I.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Prices are entirely too high. When I can buy the product new just for a couple of dollars more, or less, then your prices are too high. I am fortunate enough that I can buy new, but I witnessed several families there that are lower-income and unfortunately your prices are too high. Lower your prices you greedy humans. Stop trying to make a buck on the poor, you get your junk for free for goodness' sakes. Where's the humanity?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Goodwill has a policy that their employees can't shop at their own store so customers can get a chance to find a unique item and have a chance to get first chance to buy the items. So why is Goodwill now going through all the good items and selling them online? This is not fair to the customers and not fair to the people donating who think their items are going to help people in their own communities when in reality the items are being sold online and going to other states and or countries. All this is, is greed so they can put more money in their pocket instead of helping their employees and their communities like they were originally suppose to do.

Original review: March 23, 2019

My family and I used to shop at all the nearby Goodwill stores in the area quite often, however as of recent we visit Goodwill specifically, less and less due to their price jacking. Yesterday was the last straw. We observed a simple sundress marked at $100 and countless Target and Dollar Tree Branded items overpriced. A junk, Greenbrier Intl. cat toy marked for 2.99! You will not only often find countless quantities of these type of ripoffs, but also find that nearly all Goodwill stores no longer carry jewelry. Occasionally there are maybe two or three pieces of Target donations or costume pieces LOCKED in a case. All other jewelry is now being hawked on their online auction site for large profits. My mom once found a Halloween decoration priced for $100.

My mom called about this particular item and was told that they chose their pricing at $100 because they saw a similar item listed on Ebay for $200. Why would Goodwill (a charity thrift store) think that basing an overly enthusiastic eBay listing as a price model was appropriate? You will often find entire sets of items pieced and priced separately, dishes, electronics, accessories etc. Broken glassware being sold, delicate glassware being placed right-side-down on metal grated shelves, ripped paper, craft and party supplies being sold, half used toiletries, furniture being priced outrageously and countless other abominations. You can always count on Goodwill taking their Target store donations and pricing them for higher than Target's clearance prices! I hope Target takes note of this and donates elsewhere from now on.

I'm disgusted by the greedy ethics of Goodwill Industries. They receive their donations for free and try to turn them for the biggest possible profits with absolutely no care about charity whatsoever. Goodwill needs to be investigated. If they do not address and adjust their price ethics, then they need to be shut down. Everyone should boycott them until we see change.

Original review: March 11, 2019

For the past 8-9 months I've been going to the local Goodwill at night to feed stray cats. These people see and know I sit next door and do this without any problems. My presence has even kept their property from being vandalized as it used to in the past. Tonight I was handcuffed and detained by police! I was being accused of stealing truck batteries! The jack** manager claimed to have me on camera stealing them, but he only had me doing my normal nightly thing!

Had this reject actually been a man and confronted me, I would have told him exactly who steals, what employees return with box trucks and who was messing with their trucks! To all that donate, they say don't throw it out donate it, the reality is they destroy throw away so many donations that it's mind boggling! To those that buy, unless you're an insider, or know someone, you're wasting your time! You're not allowed to test electronics, and if you need to return you're only getting a credit. They keep your money and basically shrug off the fact they sell you junk.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I've just recently become homeless, sleeping outside. I went to Goodwill looking for a sleeping bag. They had one for seven dollars. I only had five dollars to my name. Went to the manager and asked for some goodwill and said I would come back with the two dollars in a few days. It’s been very cold at night and I have no blanket. She said there was no way she could help me. That's good will alright. I will never recommend or shop there again. Good riddance Goodwill.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am an older lady. I went to a Goodwill Store near me on North Main St In North Canton, Ohio 44720 at about 3:00 pm on Tuesday February 26, 2019. The man who came out to "retrieve" my donations brought out a cart and waited there beside it waiting for me to lift the heavy items out of my car and put them in the cart myself. Not once did he offer to help. He acted like he was just there to protect the cart and not to help at all! Another lady pulled up beside me and he did not help her either. We both had to ask for a donation receipt as he hurried back into the store. Never again will I take any of my donations to A Goodwill Store again. I will go to the Salvation Army Store where they help you and appreciate the fact that but for your donations they would not have a JOB!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Goodwill has gotten very expensive. They base their prices on ebay trends, which isn't going too well. The same items are as always there. 60.00 for a old scratched up non brand receiver. Pyrex for 40.00. I change the prices and I don't feel bad about it. I would be more upset paying the advertised price. You should all do the same if you plan to shop there.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Government (IRS), Attorney General's office and Consumer Affairs all need to thoroughly investigate and expose the escalating GREED of Goodwill Industries. Investigate the tax records, the grants, the salaries of employees, "programs" they falsely advertise, their ridiculous right to charge SALES TAX on ITEMS THEY RECEIVE FOR FREE, the Ebay auctions, the insidious disposal of items in our landfills, the violations they constantly get away with by selling food, make-up, used medical supplies, etc. INVESTIGATE the entire entity and how it is the most giant slap in the face to its founder and its original purpose.

This "charity" needs to be shut down--millions of dollars are funneled into management's pockets as they hide behind their tax status as a charitable organization, helps communities, etc., etc., it is a disgrace that they patronize ADA, U.S. Veterans, etc., etc. They are running their stores like retail stores and infringing on customer's privacy and rights. Please get on this now, many, many people have caught on to what goes on inside and outside this organization and it needs to be stopped. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I would like to add to the many many people that are disgusted with the pricing structure at Goodwill Stores. For years I have tried to save money by shopping at Goodwill. The prices have steadily gone up and clothes are somewhat organized by color. For what they charge they could afford to put them in some kind of size order who has all day to find jeans? Mostly the prices are outrageous for a thrift store which is most likely in response to the people that survive treasure hunting and reselling. I thought that was the point was to put people to work! Lots of people have little to no income for medicines and food for different reasons. This treasure hunting keeps them off welfare or worse from not getting meds they need.

GOODWILL I have seen what you throw out or send to recycle for pennies a pallet. There are so many other places like Savers or Park Avenue that truly just want to move their stuff and get money for their cause. Park Avenue puts whole store at .50 one day a week! Really need to figure out if you are a non profit or for profit seems like the latter. You have lost so many customers get a grip. Read these reviews. Success can go away with 600 complaints on one single site and most the same complaint.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

In the past two weeks I have found several items that cost more at Goodwill and they do brand new. The most recent was a modern large cast-iron pan price to 2999. This item new target is 1999. Donate to the Salvation Army. They have started to change their pricing and put new labels on items.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Every time I go to this Goodwill Store in Mt Pleasant on Ben Sawyer Blvd there is at least an item not priced and when you ask them to get you a price they have to send it back. I have seen people curse them out, walk out and say they lost a sale. I thought the point was to sell the stuff. This store is really junky and if you don't want to sell your stuff or get it more organized, just close the store and put something else there. Our other stores throughout the area are more together than this one, and employees are more friendly and helpful. Clean it up, get better employees, price every item or just close.

Goodwill Store Company Information