Goodwill Store

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've been shopping at Goodwill for 30 years. The prices kept getting higher while the selection got worse. But at least once in a blue moon I'd find a deal or antique and it was a prize. Then they started marking up the special items so they cost more than new. Then I started noticing there wasn't one quality brand item in the store even though I have seen designer merchandise donated all the time. It was clear someone was getting to the good stuff before it went on the floor, and this is more than one store. But NOW they are auctioning things online, my local store is full of ten year old mass production garbage in xs size only, stained, and priced higher than retail, household items I wouldn't pay a quarter for at a flea market, and the junk red tag items from Target, broken, damaged and half off retail, is priced HIGHER than Target tried scaling it on clearance.

The MOST OUTRAGEOUS THING is they treat this garbage like rare treasure, underwear ripped out of the package and overpriced, if you dare peek under the layers of masking tape they use to repair the packaging to see if everything is still there (I've bought EMPTY boxes of red tag Target merchandise before and when I returned to complain they accused ME of trying to pull one over). They yell at you as if you damaged the original packaging or something. This happened again just this morning when I was debating on paying ten dollars for a red tag playdoh toy, it was closed up with a tiny piece of scotch tape, so I peeked inside, the employee came over screaming pulled it out of my hand and as she was rearranging the toys back in the box (they fell when she yanked it from me). It was clear a good deal of the toys were missing! So I was suppose to pay ten bucks for a useless incomplete toy???

The customer service is pathetic (so is the turnaround) and I never seen a disabled person working in this store EVER. (Rude old ladies and recovering drug addicts with bad manners are not my idea of disabled, especially when they treat me like that and want my donations and money.) So the red tag rip offs and the lack of quality merchandise and rude employees put me off, but now anything decent is online for auction, you won't see me in a goodwill again. (If I want abuse I will marry a football player!)

Everything in these complaints is true. Prices have gone through the roof in stores. All good items are now put online and good luck bidding. You can have the winning but then after online auction is over you lost??? Makes no sense, and bid increments suppose to be 1.00 or 2.00 you will see bids for .99, .09 like how is this possible. Sad, very sad.

All I can say what I've heard from a few people. I don't understand why the workers can't shop if they work there. That's ** if you ask me. I mean why I have a few friends that work there and they can't even go in to shop on their days off. You say you wanna make money so what's that about... And another thing put the store back to the same way you had it and why in hell mark prices up so high. It's not a damn mall. It's not like you went out and bought the stuff yourself. People gave it to you. I mean be for real I mean I was in there the other day a stupid crockpot 25.00. Hell I'll rather go to Walmart and pay the same price. You are gonna lose your customers if you don't lower prices. Get real.

I have been a long time shopper at Goodwill and am now completely dissatisfied with the selection and prices on all of their items. I saw an item that I wanted to but at the Crofton, MD location but the price was much higher than what it was selling for online and so I asked if they would make an adjustment based on the information I was able to provide. They said that is the price and that they can't change it and the person that makes the prices was not there so I could take it or leave it. Needless to say, I will not shop there again. I enjoyed reusing and strive to keep things from going to landfills but not at the price of retail.

This is the second time in less than three years that our local Goodwill did not honor the "Punch" Card and now the Super Saver Card. On both occasions, I accumulated over $60.00 only to abruptly be informed that they "don't honor these cards anymore." If Goodwill is going to discontinue a service at least give the consumer a chance to redeem their cards or "grandfather" those that have existing balances. This is not good customer service. I'm not only a customer but I donate throughout the year... every year. Goodwill needs to relook their practices and if they are going to cut these services, do it fairly and treat ALL their customers with dignity and respect and honor their cards. We earned it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

I have shopped at Goodwill for decades, but things have changed. They now sell the better items online. Won several auctions & in receiving the items, the items pictured were not there. Since I buy mainly jewelry and paid upwards of $100.00 each for several lots, I was upset. Called the stores from different parts of the country where I had purchased items to find out why & it took forever to find person to talk to. They explained there is no guarantee the items would be the same. Also found out that employees can bid on the auctions. Fox in charge of the hen house comes to mind. Shipping was outrageous when USPS flat rate priority shipping would have worked great. The shipping took forever.

Goodwill gets the items for free, but they are so greedy now they are sickening. They pay the employees little and the CEO gets $350.000+. I am complaining because someone needs to stop their practices or at the least advise other consumers about their practices. My purchases were a few years ago, but they have now started the online auction in my local area, so no more local shopping where I can see what I am buying and am sure to get what I buy.

The Barboursville, WV Goodwill Store seems to have a new way of running the Color of the Week program: They re-tag old merchandise which they couldn't sell for a high dollar amount on the day before their colored tags are marked down to $1. An overpriced used balance beam bathroom scale with a yellow tag had been sitting unsold for several weeks and remained unsold through last week, even though it was half of the price on the tag. As of Sunday 1/29/17, it would have sold for $1, except that the store re-tagged it with a purple tag. The new price was 50% higher than what it would have sold for last week for half of the yellow tag price.

I could not find any yellow tag items anywhere in the store, despite seeing several a couple of days ago. I assume the employees re-tagged every yellow tag item that sold for more than a few dollars. Why have a "Color of the Week" program if the organizers CHEAT on it??? You can guess what my answer will be when Goodwill asks if I'd like to round up to the next dollar on my purchase. I hope they don't expect to have anything I've bought from them donated to their store after I croak. Seems like lots of donations wind up in a dumpster, anyway. I didn't buy anything after discovering what they did.

There is no worse company than Goodwill. They are apathetic about issues that come up. They ship items broken or items break when shipped. There is no one to complain to if an issue does come up. There is no one steering the ship at the top. It is a for profit group of greedy people who take from the top and treat everyone else like garbage. Seems I am not the only one who has ever been screwed over badly by Good (hah) will. I just can't believe the government gives them 80 million in kickbacks for being a nonprofit organization... Another joke right? This company is a complete scam artist. And they have and will continue to get away with what they do... They give to their senators money, lobby congress, and congress in turn gives them buttloads of money for no real purpose...

I bought (auction listing) a 14 K Gold pendant and necklace - $301.00! To me, this was a fortune. The thing is, their camera is so good, that the necklace and pendant appeared to be huge and it turned out to be a tiny speck. The chain whose links were large and quite beautiful, is in reality, a tiny little invisible chain. What a waste of money. I am sick about it! Don't bid unless you are 100% positive. Don't go by the pictures. They deceive unsuspecting, trusting bidders.

Goodwill now puts most things online. The stores now buy Target items and resell them for high prices. The items online are misrepresented, you are taking a chance. Carts that used to come out during the day are no longer coming out. (so they can cut employees) Jars of junk jewelry are priced between 75-150 dollars!! What? Talk about greed. Donated items are free. Perfect business plan. Get for free and get the most you can get. Goodwill was supposed to be a place for low-income people to get clothes and necessities at a low price. Not anymore. Their greed has overtaken them. They open brand new stores and donation centers everywhere while honest businesses are going bankrupt. Goodwill is now Badwill.

Merchandise similar to dollar stores at department store prices, poor quality, no longer have Target items which were too high priced anyway. All stores have a notebook of brands that are screened for e-commerce = junk left in stores. Even clothing brands are screened out. Waste of time. Construction of stores always new, never remodeled or green. CEO salaries 1/2 million on items they get for free from you that you want those in need to benefit from, not CEOs. Disabled employees make as little as .22 (yes 22 cents) per hour. This company has some serious soul searching to do.

I'm a little checked out right now. I have been doing business with shopgoodwill.com for some time. I guess I either didn't run into this before or they just started. RESERVES! On donated stuff. It's all profit for them. Total free inventory and they are protecting profit on stuff that is being sold on their auction site. I know they are a for profit business contrary to the common misconception, but this is lame. They should auction it off to see who wins. They would make more in the long run and it's not like the FREE product stream is going to dry up. Why won't YOU CORPORATIONS LET the little guy win once in a while.

I shop at Goodwill pretty often, but due to family obligations I haven't had the time to shop on Sundays until this past Sunday. I noticed the employee pulling all the red tags. It was right at 9 just as the store was opening. I noticed her racing ahead of me in the children's clothes where I was looking to pull items before I could grab them. So I asked her why those items were being pulled and she told me it was their policy to pull the current color put them in the back and bring out new stuff and leave the outdated or undesirable items of that color on the rack so people will buy them. I can't believe that Goodwill is essentially scamming people. If what she told me is correct many items will never be half off.

The Goodwill in Frederick MD on 40/golden mile, has the oddest select of managers. For one they are not professional as they dress in jeans and casual clothes, they blend in with everyone else. I asked some questions regarding business and procedures and I get ignorant answers from managers on duty. The dock people are rude and I would not recommend this specific store to anyone, subject to: they replace the kids with real workers who have knowledge base of their job.

I recently donated a Mercedes Station Wagon to a Charity in Arizona. After Pledging this car I was advised that this donation would be administered by Goodwill, yes that Goodwill. I received a call from the 'Vehicle Specialist,' who answered my specific question of how much Goodwill would receive from this action. He stated "30%." He said the auth had to be toward, although I could have driven it in. Three weeks later I received an IRS Statement that showed this total donation at $500. I expressed my utter displeasure in confirming that my charity of choice would get $255! For a Mercedes in good shape. In a follow up he advised that Goodwill, above their #0%, charged an $45 Administration Fee, and $85 Towing Charge. The Charity of my choice said they 'look into this,' and Goodwill, had their Head of Operations forward documentation showing the above.

Frankly, I believe that there may be 'skimming,' call it would you will involved. Are there 'Referral Fees'? The truly sad part is that organizations like Goodwill, Red Cross, United Fund, et al are really conduits where a fraction of your contribution goes to a Cause, and many on their Staffs are paid outsized salaries, prerequisites, handsome expense accounts, etc. Lesson learned... next time I will sell my vehicle, or other material good, and give the cash to the charity, and will NEVER give to the well known, but often dicey charities.

I arrived at my local Goodwill to donate and drop off two items. When I arrived, the employee that accepts the donations yelled ** and yanked my two items out of my arms and said "is that it?" I said "yes," although I have additional items in great condition that I wanted to bring and donate. However, I am now reluctant to ever donate to the "Goodwill".

The store manager named "Jennifer" is very combative. She becomes enraged if you inquire as to the long wait to check-out. On Monday Nov. 21, 2016 I waited 22 minutes and inquired as to Jennifer the reason why she had no cashiers at the front. Jennifer became combative, unprofessional, and refused to provide me the name of her cashier who was smirking - the cashier joined-in on Jennifer's combative behavior. Jennifer is not professional in any sense of the word and seems inept at her ability to cater to patrons.

I just used Goodwill online once and honestly the shipping is just whack and outrageous on some items and on top of that the nerve they got to charge a handling fee as well. I was lucky to win a bid on a Super Nintendo game cartridge which weighs about 6 oz. A reasonable USPS priority mail shipping is about $4 and at most could of gone with a flat rate small box for $6.80. But somehow shipping was $9.12 priority mail not even overnight and on top of that $4 handling fee.

The Goodwill people are just greedy thieves robbing people blind with the shipping taking their $1-$3 cut from shipping going into their pockets like if they do not have their goldmine already with handling fees which they have in all items, in my case was $4. Like come on the USPS gives free boxes, tape and wrap. Any company should have that. Just do the math. For mostly all items on that site there's a handling fee of $2-$5 or even more. Just pocketing that money and all coming from donated things they get free like if it was not enough. Just with the stores it hit them they can go online and rip off people, overcharge shipping and rob them blind with handling fees. That is where their goldmine is at if you tell me.

I have been shopping at Goodwill for a long time. I frequent two shops. One the prices are always fair, product moves quickly, variety is great. The other in Greenville, Ohio, the prices have been steadily going up. In one case I bought a table cloth with two tags, one for $9.99 the other for $12.99. I thought it strange one employee would deem the value at 30% higher. Very frustrating. It is a second-hand store. Period.

I am a 68 year old senior who is unable to shop the local stores due to health issues. I recently tried to sign up to shop online and was suspended before I had the chance to win anything due to my daughter creating multiple accounts w/o paying. No fault of my own I am banned. Not sure how one can conduct business like this to support the disabled. I am disabled and this is how I am treated. These people are frauds. Do not waste your money.

I have shopped conservatively at Goodwill Stores for some time now... But in the last 6 months or more I see tons of "dirty" and/or "broken" JUNK in the stores anymore. Is what I see consistently being dropped off by donors just going now to Goodwill's on-line auctions with gouging prices and outrageous shipping fees??? As a retired person on a limited income I had hopes of some sense of survival in these thrift stores to repair and/or replace things I could not otherwise afford. Not to mention, if I do find something decent I could use, it is priced above what I would pay at a retail store NEW. I expanded my search of the Goodwill stores to within a 50-60 mile radius recently and find it mostly the same everywhere. Not to mention wasting time and gas! I am finding out now I am better off going to estate and yard sales!!!

Twice now they have given false information about an item. When I got the item I realized that it was worthless to me. They expect you to pay return shipping even if it's their mistake, and the shipping is usually more than the item so, it's a big gamble. These orders happened to be the type and size of plates and cups I ordered. A lot of their employees seem very uneducated. They can't use a tape measure and don't know the difference between a plate and a saucer. It's fun to browse, but be prepared to possibly be disappointed.

Yes, Goodwill's CEO makes a disgusting large salary. Since the Salvation Army is a religion, their CEO makes what? 12K? I shop on Goodwill Auction because they have an easy to navigate website, and a fairly simple buying procedure. They also have lots of interesting stuff. If I see an item in which I am interested, the first thing I do is to check the shipping charge. Sometimes the shipping costs as much as the item. But this site is a lot like eBay: There's always tomorrow and an identical or similar item. If the item is something you want, maybe it's worth the cost plus shipping charges. The people who fulfill the orders are paid by Goodwill. They have a job. Will I pay extra if I know it's worthwhile? You bet. The carrier, not Goodwill determines the cost of shipping. All of the bargains I have purchased are items about which the average person has no idea of their worth.

If I see something I know is much more valuable than the bidding amount (and I'm not interested) I email that Goodwill location and offer my opinion. For example, My three-year-old grandson is crazy for Hot Wheels. Goodwill sells them in bulk for appalling low amounts. After checking eBay and some other sites I learned Hot Wheels collectors are adult males, some Hot Wheels cars are more collectible than others. Two or three hundred dollars for an old toy car not in great shape? Peanuts. When I learned that Hot Wheels with a red band around the tires -- aka redlines -- are worth some serious jack, I contacted Goodwill Auctions. Instead of a few dollars for a bucket full of cars which may or may not include redlines they now sell individual cars for $50, $100, or more.

So here's the deal: Goodwill Auction does help people, and by sharing your expertise and funds it can help even more. Their CEO earns way too much money. That's a great big minus. I donate my stuff to the Salvation Army: They help those who have fallen through the cracks of the social network. I like to think that my time and expertise have a value to both.

Goodwill Millville NJ - Used to love going to my local Goodwill Store. Me and my husband couldn't get enough of it. Lately noticed prices are ridiculously high. This is supposed to be a second-hand store that everything is handed to them. Seems nothing good reaches the shelves anymore, everything is going up for bid online. Everything is priced at the low-end that eBay sells. Sad. Everything is overpriced, not somewhere's a like to shop anymore. Sad. Used to be a great shop for deals. They are higher than retail stores now. It's a second-hand store, not new retail.

I was high bidder for a framed in glass butterfly collection. When it arrived it sat almost two days before I opened it. (I had been sick) after opening it I saw that it was as described and sat it back in the box. Next morning, I awoke to these red welts on my legs and arms. I didn't know what to think of it. Following morning I was covered in these welts everywhere. I got worried and went to the doctor. First thing he said when he saw me, "Bedbug Bites." He asked me a bunch of questions, and then I remembered the box from Goodwill.

Sure enough, when I got back home and looked deeper into the box, there were bugs in it! They had been sitting in my house for 4 days, who knows how many escaped in that time. I bagged up as many as I could in a ziplock bag. I then contacted the seller store that sent the item and they gave me a full refund. $9.00 for item $10.00 shipping, I didn't ask for a refund and I don't see any mention of bedbugs on their disclaimer. Goodwill sent two emails with the same random message telling me I would be refunded. Not knowing what I was up against I started gathering information about bedbugs, and became increasingly more angry at Goodwill. I have spent over $650.00 so far to eradicate these bugs and it's not over yet. I think Goodwill has some responsibility to its unsuspecting customers when shipping their merchandise.

I thought bedbugs only were in bedding or clothing. Not true. I have washed and dried everything in my house that I could get into the washer. To date, over 60 loads of laundry, etc. And it's only been three weeks. I emailed a complaint letter and no one has replied. I can't believe this is happening and I would never want this to happen to anyone else. There ought to be a law! I've shopped thrift stores for 25 plus years and have never had any kind of issue with bugs. This has been a nightmare that I will not get over anytime soon. Just giving others a heads up. It happened to me, don't let it happen to you.

If Goodwill is taking it to the poor and impoverished (and they are, all the way to the bank) where is all the money going. Like the Clinton Foundation it's not going where it's suppose to be going. Just because I'm poor doesn't mean I do not know the price of things or when I'm getting scammed. They get free goods and sell for retail or just under. Not the clothes of course but I was just at the Imlay City, MI store and the cost for a used rug was 89.99. New rugs same length and quality at Big Lots are 19.99. A used plastic greenhouse was 69.99! I'm just venting here because no one at Goodwill is going to lower their prices to help out someone in my income bracket. I'll have to stick with the churches and yard sales.

To date I spent 12,000 dollars at Goodwill auctions. They booted me because I become ill and did not pay for a few auctions I won, circumstances beyond my control. Even when I showed what I spent and what happened they still said I cannot bid anymore. Well their loss. I will never ever recommend them for anything, spend a dime ever again, and the thousands and thousands of dollars' worth of donations I get from my estate sales business will now go elsewhere. Good riddance to Goodwill.

I was on shop.goodwill.com today (have been for over a year) and decided to write something on this site. While the bigwigs are making hundreds of thousands of dollars, they are paying their workers who have disabilities about 3/4 of scale according to newspapers. Goodwill seems to be profiting on the backs of minorities, and disabled employees. What else? shop.goodwill.com, is certainly making millions from people who are not knowledgeable enough to avoid the site. Today, Vintage Liberty Nickel 1908 (34213008) is being sold for $13.99 AND it has 2 bids. WHY? Is one of these a shill bidder or do these people NOT realize this coin is only worth .50c on a good day on almost any other auction site like the world's largest eBay?

Do people just like spending money and getting very little in return? Do we really have this much money that we don't care how to spend it? Why don't you give it to me? I have $100,000 in student loans that if I was selling on Goodwill, I could pay off my loans and retire after one year, never have to work again! Other people are paying $10 for a single buffalo nickel, again it's only .50c on other site but wait there's more...

I STUPIDLY bought a set of coins in a plastic paged folder for $96 (supposedly they were foreign coins, different countries). I got them and they were all Chinese made and magnetic. Worthless. Not worth the high postage I was forced to pay. I complained to Goodwill, they admitted they knew they were counterfeit as they stated to me in their letter, they are ACKEY coins and there was an article on PCGS.com website concerning these a few years ago. So they KNEW they were fake but they chose not to reveal this information in their auction. The Goodwill is in Astoria, NY. I complained to the Secret Service and they simply said, "We don't investigate counterfeit coins anymore, it's a buyer beware issue" and Goodwill knows it. They do not offer money back. What you see is what you get.

If you are unknowledgeable about coins, clothing, painting, misc items and you spend your hard earned money through their stores/auction sites, they will just say, "We can't verify the authenticity of our products as these are all donated items". Bigwigs are laughing all the way to the bank and yet people keep lining up to them and say "Here please take this evil money for your wonderful product".

Another thing, how about the shipping...Elizabeth II DG Reg FD (34170171) to my address in Spokane from the Goodwill in Virginia. One small coin will cost me $11 to get here. Are they crazy? I can mail it in a padded envelope with tracking for $2.62. I have bought comics from Texas Goodwill for $50 shipping. I found out really quick to verify shipping before I bid on such a small lot. Another lot, you can guarantee that it will be a $20 item for $5 coins/bills 34260483 - Assorted Foreign Currency (Canada & More). It will cost me $10 (actually $9.96) to get this item from Indiana, of course there is a $2 handling fee. But again, they are still double the price of what it really costs them. If I charged my customers that high of postage on my items. I would be out of business in a hurry. So why does Goodwill continue to flaunt excessively high postage costs and sell coins and many more items at 10 to 20 times what they are worth?

People just don't have a clue as to what they are buying. When they get burned by Goodwill, they say nothing, do nothing, not even warn others. Shill bidding can happen if the Goodwill employee wants to drive up the price, then he enters a bid and since you cannot see the bidders' identities, this is very possible, therefore you are now paying more for the item. People want to support a company who seemingly is taking advantage of its employees according to Forbes.com and they like giving away their money and they don't want to be told how to spend their money so they will continuously and recklessly pass it to Goodwill. Again, the bigwigs at Goodwill thank you for your support and not thinking about the possibly counterfeit coin or high priced postage. After all, they need to pay for their $500,000 to million dollar homes and their gold plated golf clubs. If I was you, I would reconsider Goodwill as a good place to shop.

They hire people who are supposed to help us find work but their employees don't care about doing their job. I am having ongoing issues with my employment support worker Miranda ** who is employed by your company. I wrote an email to your CEO Laura Hills but she refuses to address the issue!! I am on ODSP but I have been actively seeking employment that I am able to do.

Miranda is supposed to help with this!! However I end up doing 90% of the job searching and applying for job myself (which is somewhat OK) but then when I need a ride to a job interview, Miranda is busy or unavailable around 90% of the time. I have been busting my rear end to find work. I have a possible job interview at the Burlington mall tomorrow with a cleaning company called Magic maintenance and once again Miranda can't take me. It begs the question, what is the ODSP paying Goodwill's employment support for exactly?? I mean, I do the job search mostly alone and all I ask is for a ride to the interview... Is this really too much to ask??? I don't think it is!!!

I have been shopping at Goodwill since I was a teenager. I love finding deals which I then pass on to friends and family. One of my favorite things to look for at Goodwill is the Target merchandise. It used to be priced really fairly and I would purchase things quite often. Over the last few months they have raised the pricing on the Target overstock/return items to outrageous levels. To the point that where the stuff is now more expensive than it was at Target. A great example, a pillow with a tag attached saying "set of 2" that had a Target price tag on it for $14.99. They only had 1 of the 2 pillows and it was tagged $9.99! They have a ton of basic large totes and my local store which sold originally at Target for between 15-20 dollars. Then they were on clearance forever for less than 10. I saw them at the store. Goodwill has loads of them and they are priced at 14.00. How is that a deal?

My local store has about 6 bins of notebooks... The basic ones that sell for 10 cents during back to school time. They are priced at 50 cents a piece. They have tons of linens; curtains, sheets, pillow cases, etc priced between $15 and $39 each. And that's for ONE sheet, ONE curtain... That's higher than Target. My favorite is seeing the Target stuff that they sell for $1; it's tagged that way from Target... My Goodwill has it for 1.99. Why?? Target woman's tank tops that you can get at Target for $6 they have for $5. Why bother when I can go to Target when they are on sale (all the time) and get them cheaper? It's a joke.

Goodwill Store Company Profile