1.35/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

636 Goodwill Store Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Just to get this out of the way, I sell on eBay. I am the guy who goes to Goodwill and buys the things that nobody else will buy so that I can offer them for sale on a larger worldwide platform where people are looking for these specific things. These are generally items that no local customer just visiting Goodwill would ever purchase, often they are obscure and very specific items that no customer is going to just happen to need. In other words, 1 in a million people might be interested in purchasing these things, and the odds of Goodwill being able to sell them are minuscule at best unless it's to someone like me who intends to sell it on eBay.

The Albany location used to be reasonable with their pricing up until about 6 months ago or so, and ever since then it has been a train wreck. Somehow, they have gotten the idea that their small potatoes local store can compete with a global platform like eBay and command the same or higher prices. Just to put this into context, Goodwill has a small trickle of people who wonder in and look for nothing other than what catches their eye, eBay has millions of buyers seeking out very specific things. What the Albany Goodwill store is doing is raising their prices to the point of being laughable and unreasonable by even eBay standards.

Allow me to walk you through a typical visit these days: I enter the store and decide to take a look in the front display case and 9/10 times it's the same stale merchandise week after week, 75% of it being product they got from Target that even Target couldn't sell on clearance...and it's priced higher than the retail price that target had on it before it even went on clearance. The other 25% is things like solar calculators that retail for under $10 brand new, and they have the case loaded up with them for upwards of $15 used since they can't grasp the fact that because some calculators are worth that, it does not mean they are ALL worth that. Add that same logic to pretty much anything and everything they sell, and you start to get the picture.

After looking at the display case, I head over to the electronics section and I am greeted with old obsolete computer speakers that look like they came with an old computer from 1999, not even in good condition, they are yellowed with age, scuffed up and nothing special whatsoever. What is the price? $15... okay, that's a weird price, but whatever, let's move on and see what else there is for sale.

I get to the house phones, routers, and power cords, it's the same story. Junky expansion handsets that shouldn't be more than a couple dollars are instead seemingly randomly priced from $5 to $20 depending on the day and time. No rhyme or reason, just random prices that make no sense. Again, weird, but whatever, onto the cords to see if there is anything worth buying, and apparently any and all laptop chargers regardless of knowing if they actually work, or what they go to… are all made out of gold and priced as such at a minimum of $5 each, but mostly $8 - $15. Never mind the fact that the odds of someone being there looking for that exact charger are slim to none, and that 95% of the cords there never even sell.

Guess it’s time to check out the sporting and hardware section. Surely, they have gotten the message that all the old baseball gloves I used to buy before they jacked the prices up are probably not going to sell for $8 each since I’ve made it a point to not buy them for the last 2 months. Surely the fact that they have been piling up on the shelves unsold until they are taking up so much room that they are pulled is a clear enough indication that they priced them too high…

Nope. Goodwill has doubled down and upped the prices to $15 and $25 instead on gloves that don’t even sell for half of that in better condition on eBay. Effectively all they have done is lost the sale on the things I would have bought and ensured that I will just wait it out and go to the Goodwill Outlet in Salem to buy them for 30 cents each when they do not sell in the Albany store. It’s the same story throughout the entire store. Do they miss things occasionally? Yes, I still find things here and there that they did not drop the ball on, however that is only because they screwed up.

They used to get sometimes $100+ a day from me, and 90% of the time it was for things that would have sat unsold for a month before being sent to the outlet to sell for pennies on the dollar. Now they are fortunate if I spend $20 a week in their store because of how poorly ran it is. As someone who used to be on the inside there, employee production goals have ruined it for customers. Every person who’s job it is to price donations has a set dollar value they must price each day, week, and month. When you have trouble making those goals, you face missing out on raises, being demoted, getting negative marks on your reviews, and even your very job.

These production goals are NOT sales goals, they exist only to measure up the employees and the sales are a secondary thought. It’s about looking good on paper, and that translates into customers being asked for obscene prices in order to make it look like the management is doing better than they are. The whole reason you see such laughable prices is because employees are expected to meet obscene production numbers regardless of the product’s value. Often when I worked for them, I would find myself with $500 worth of donations, yet a $1000+ production goal that I could not meet unless I fudged the numbers or overpriced things that I knew were not worth what I was pricing. Obviously, the choice is clear on what to do if you wish to keep your job.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Goodwill in Central Virginia Lynchburg region changes their policy all the time when it comes to pricing. Because of this there are constant problems with employees not knowing the policy. They make me feel like a criminal sometimes when I am at the checkout counter and something does not have the correct price as the employees say. It happens constantly at the Lynchburg Old Forest store with one employee named Michelle actually singling me out every time I shop there. I have complained to the manager about this and still it happens all the time. The central Virginia area needs a new regional manager so customers can see some change for the better. Items are over-priced for poor people like me and I thought this company would help people like me! They do quite the opposite. Don’t shop at Goodwill. They help only their own interest! Please donate to places that actually help the community. Please!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I arranged a pick up of over $10,000 brand new electronic items from closing my online stores. The main Guy that came out of Charleston had a negative attitude right off. Complained and huffed the entire time. It tore my nerves up as well as my mother and father who were thankfully helping to get this taken care of quickly. It amazes me you try to do good by donating and they give you a nasty attitude the whole time. I will never give money or items to Goodwill after this horrific experience!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Ok honestly GW, time to lower your prices back to thrift store range. It's getting a little out of hand. Stay in your lane. Oh, and hire people who have a harder time finding work. I thought that was your mission statement yet I rarely see it happen anymore. So why the laughably expensive free inventory? I could go to Forever 21 and spend the same or a bit more for decent, unworn clothing now. What happened? I finally had to post somewhere after stumbling on a forum that assured me I'm far from alone in thinking this.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I'm a frequent customer of the Goodwill in Capitola, CA. I usually go in every other week and spend at the very least 100$. I've never had a real problem before today. Despite The store being rather disorganized and a lot of stuff isn't priced. They employ a variety of shady looking people who are for the most part friendly if not particularly helpful. I spent almost two hours sifting through the mess that the store was in and was quite pleased with some of the stuff I found. When I went up to the front I had a number of things with no tags but most were priced. The cashier rang everything up and got prices for the unmarked items that seemed fair. However just as I was about to complete the transaction a supervisor came over and said something was mispriced. She then began to go through my cart and said that a number of items had multiple stickers.

I asked to see what she was talking about and she showed me that there was a $2.99 sticker under a $1.99 sticker on an item. I thought okay so maybe the price got lowered because the item had been there awhile. However she said that out of the 30+ items I was purchasing several had multiple stickers. Considering the amount of things with no stickers and all the random stickers stuck to the shelf's throughout the store I wasn't overly shocked. The discrepancies were very minor and frankly when I'm buying $120 worth of stuff a few dollars either way is very inconsequential to me. It's ridiculous to think I'd go through the risk and trouble of changing a bunch of stuff around for a 5% discount. I think the supervisor didn't approve of the way I look and dress and so treated me quite unfairly. I was tempted to make a scene about it but chose to just walk away. I won't be donating nor shopping at Goodwill again and will certainly be sharing my experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was shopping at the north Lamar location in Austin Texas. Their men’s shoes are quite overpriced, so I usually just check the women’s racks, as they’re more reasonably priced, usually around $7.99-9.99. Came across a pair Nike basketball shoes, checked the size, and thought “these will fit my buddy who loves sneakers”; price was $7.99! Went to pay (also purchasing 4-5 other shoes that day), and the cashier sees them, and it’s immediately clear she recognizes the shoes as “LeBron's” and states they’re underpriced. I said I too was surprised they were priced at $7.99, but they didn’t have laces, were kinda dirty and with the women’s shoes. Not my problem, I didn’t price them, and I assumed Goodwill would honor the sticker prices on both shoes.

She then calls for a price check, stating she bought a similar pair for $24.99 earlier that day at this location for her son (great, you still got a decent deal, also not my problem). Price checker guy says “Okay, they’re priced at $7.99. What do you want me to do?" Cashier, who clearly wants the shoes says, “make them $24.99”. Guy is like, "Why?" And I say, "I think that’s too high." He and I agree on $19.99, mostly to appease this woman.

At this point I just want to leave, as I now feel like some thief at a Goodwill... It’s a bad business practice to price items (even if it’s an employee mistake) and have someone at the register up the price to almost 3 times the original sticker price. I spend a lot of money at Goodwill (last two trips spent around $187 and $90). As a regular customer it’s pretty terrible to be made to feel like a thief. I also donate a ton of clothing, shoes and housewares to charity every month. I’ll be donating and spending my money at other thrift stores that actually treat their customers with respect in the future.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My Nephew just got back from the Goodwill in Kent Wash. And told me that they did not accept the Good condition American flag with pole I just sent them, as it was too Political to be accepted by their store. If they can not accept an American flag here in American I see no reason to send them anything else or my customers. As I'm in the antique business and I do have lots of Senior citizens that I help downsize.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Well first off I want to say that I completely understand why Goodwill is raising their prices. From someone who runs an eBay business and makes thousands of dollars a month from reselling Goodwill's items I can honestly say I don't blame them. I have been in different Goodwills across the East coast almost every day multiple times a day. They are being competitive. 80 percent of Goodwill shoppers resell in some way shape or form. Whether a yard sale, online, or antique booth or swap meet.

I know this because I talk and see what's going on. The other 15 percent are people driving BMW's and Mercedes that are sick and get off saving big bucks at Goodwill. It's a greedy sickness and it's everywhere. The other 5 percent is actual people who need affordable thrifted items. 95 percent of people leaving reviews here are the reason the prices are going up. You know who you are and I am one of them. I don't complain... it's just a part of business. Simple supply and demand.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I have gone to Goodwill my entire life. It was the place to go for cheap clothes, books, household stuff, etc. It was affordable to go; you could go school shopping or get some books without spending and arm and a leg. However, over the years, I've noticed an upward trend in prices on EVERYTHING at every Goodwill in the state of MI (I've visited most at one point or another).

Recently I wanted two books. Two books that were educational and were donated to Goodwill. Price Each? 3.99!?!? For a used, donated educational books!? How is that ethical? Add to that the average price tag on any clothing or household items is well above what a donated item should be ticketed at. Whereas Goodwill used to be a reprieve from ticket shock at department stores, yall have just joined the club. Pushing your original customer base away. Books, clothing and everyday items are not accessible anymore, which is disgusting considering the company claim they use donations in helping the poor and disabled. Goodwill should be ashamed of its price gouging.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I am writing you regarding my unpleasant experience shopping at the Goodwill Store Albany California. July 9/2018 I found the small plastic magnifier lens on the shelf with no box priced $4.99, I took it to the female cashier and asked her to hold this item for me so I like to continue look for other things. Later I purchased 4 items and go to pay the bill, the cashier told me she found the box for me that belong to the magnifier lens and no extra charge with it, she try to make me happy of her service. After I paid the bill I feel like the charged seems much more than I thought, so I double checked the price of all items I bought there before I leave the store.

I aware that the cashier she secretly changed the priced from $4.99 to $24.99 of the plastic magnifier lens on the box without telling me. Therefore I asked to refund of that item but she deny, I talk to her manager. The female manager said this Goodwill Store unable to make refund or buy somethings else instead. I disagreed because their dishonesty then I negotiated with their director name Chris on the phone and he promised me he will make the refund by send a check to me and asked my name and address... He said it will take two weeks to process.

Now it has been almost three months since I have not received the check Chris had promised. I have repeatedly asked Chris the director of Goodwill Store of Albany California why he deliberately delayed and did not return the money that was cheated to the customer by his worker, but no respond from him. In these untrustworthy and without professional ethical people work in this Goodwill Store, I feel sorry for this Goodwill Store.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I’ll never tire of this story but a while ago I was in the Goodwill in Hudson NY. This was over a year ago. Records were 1.99 and they never have a sticker of any kind. Anyway, there were some records in a cart up front. Usually the stuff in carts is the “new arrivals”. Anyway my brother looked through them and was going to buy a bunch of them. When we went to checkout the guy was counting how many records we had and then looked at each album and then suddenly stopped. He must have realized the albums we were buying was Elvis Presley-S/T Mono, The Beatles-Something New and Bob Dylan-John Wesley Harding. I think he is the manager. He told him he couldn’t sell us the records. He said he had to take them in the back to be “processed”. He said they would be out in a few days. He then went on to brag how he got a Led Zeppelin Untitled that was sealed that was donated.

A few days later we went back and that whole box of records was never brought out to the floor. To this day those records never made it to the customers. This guy clearly took them home to flip on eBay. Now I realize why I have never found anything decent in this Goodwill. When will Goodwill stop their employees from taking stuff home to flip?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Had charges brought against me for something that I never did wrong. I had paid for an item with my debit card and Goodwill turned against me and said that I stole the item and never paid for it but I have a receipt saying I paid for the item.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018
The first thing I would ask you to do is actually do some research and take a look at how many thousands of associated Goodwill Industries stores there are in this country now. I'm sure this started as a good idea. I know I remember donating things to Goodwill 30, 40 years ago, and it was really appreciated. And they took everything. And they gave it away if they couldn't sell it. That's not what they're doing now. They're picking and choosing when you go there. They're telling you, "We don't have the room" or "We can't sell this." They don't even have the courtesy to make the donor feel good like they've done something good for the people. They just send them away. They take what they want, pick and choose, and send them away. They're paying the supervisors, regional managers and who knows who else quarter of a million dollars a year to actually administer these stores, and take care of the regions and areas. Something is wrong here. So, what I suggest is, find a single local charity like I started and used to work for - still in existence after 50 years, not related to donations, but related to something else - and give them directly whatever it is you have to offer. I'm sure they'll take it. They'll take it with a good heart. And they won't just sell it. They'll give it to someone if they can't sell it. Unfortunately, it appears that Goodwill Industries has become nothing more than another business under the guise of a nonprofit trying to help people. So, that's all I'd like to say about that. So, bless you all and good luck. Bye-bye.
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

While at the Carrollton, Ohio Goodwill I was looking at shoes. There was an off brand of a shoe that was $30!!! I looked the shoes up online and for retail, brand new, the price was just under $20! I then was looking at a gaming headset that was priced at $49.00 that you can buy online for anywhere from $15 to $25!! I just don't understand this since people donate to Goodwill for free and then others shop there for their families because of low income. I have been in quite a few Goodwills and I have never seen the prices jacked up so high as in Carrollton.

As a consumer, I myself and some friends have decided we will no longer shop at this Goodwill - they are taking advantage of the people in this small community and it is unfair. They are taking donations then selling it back at a ridiculous price. If I can look up a price of an item in just a few minutes then why don't the workers do the same? I am very sad for this store to be taking advantage of the area residents - it's not right!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

GOODWILL CLEARANCE CENTER ON HAYWOOD ROAD in Greenville, SC needs to close!!! The evening manager continues to allow hazardous items such as mold, broken glass, sharp wood, wet clothing and items that contain needles, etc inside the facility for customers to dig through. The manager allows children to run around without shoes!!! Afterwards, she goes to prepare food at the Subway connected to the center. Popping, chewing gum and talking while trying to explain policies does not make good for business. This place has the poorest customer service. It is the management's fault for my review. Please close this place!!! GET EDUCATED MANAGERS and reopen!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have a friend who is an avid Goodwill Store shopper. I purchased a gift card for her in Georgia and sent it to her in Fla. She has been unable to use it at any Goodwill Store. She sent the card back to me to see if I could use where I bought it. I used a magnifying glass to read the writing on the back of the card that says I need to activate it. I have tried in vain to do so. I found a place where you can check your balance but it says my card has too many numbers on the back and won't take it. Could not find anything that said activation. Goodwill owes me $30 for a useless card.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I am a frequent shopper at the Goodwill in Forest Lake MN. I stopped there and spent approximately 2 hours picking out pants, shirts and blouses. I had just finished trying on the items which was probably around $100.00 or more and came out to find that the items I had just tried on and the shopping basket they were in were gone. Apparently taken away by the store employee to keep the floor clean. The shopping basket was at the end of the dressing room just outside the wall and wasn't in anyone's way. I took 5-6 items in at a time and then would put them back in the basket and then would take 5 more to try on. I have done this numerous times and never had this happen.

I was very angry and asked to speak to the manager. The manager apologized and said, "I don't know what I can do. We were just trying to keep the floor area clear and all the items that were in your basket have probably been put back." I informed the manager that I would never shop at this store again and will inform everyone I can to not shop here!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Bought several items and Goodwill did sent or give me back money. I have been a shopper several years with Goodwill, but lately they have gotten very bad on sent items (jewelry) out and reselling it. It's pretty bad when you want to help a company like them. Then they pull this. Just need help getting across a message to them.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I purchased an item that was described as "wearable/Resaleable" and the item is defective. I contacted them to return the item and they refused to take it back. The amber pendant is full of cracks and covered in scratches on the outside. If you buy from them think of your spent money as a donation because you will never get your money back.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I’m a frequent Goodwill shopper. I live in Central Ohio, meaning I mostly shop stores near Columbus. I live East, so I am close to the Pickerington store. It’s small, but well stocked and I always find a few bargains. Recently, a friend told me about the Buckeye Lake store, which is large. I found things there, of course, but when I checked out, my bill was very high. I asked for my senior discount, but was told they only give it one day a week. That’s nonsense. I’m old every day of the week. I looked at my receipt and discovered that their pricing is totally different from the stores I’ve been shopping. Buckeye Lake is not a very affluent neighborhood, by and large. I can see no justification for the higher prices. I would be interested in knowing why this is...

Original review: June 26, 2018

I am a frequent shopper of the Goodwill in Portsmouth Virginia and, over time, I’ve been noticing that the prices are not “thrifty” considering this is a thrift store. There was a plastic planter marked $2.25 that I’ve seen at the dollar store for $1.00. Another time, I saw a vacuum cleaner marked $35. When someone confronted them about their prices and that an item could be found in another store for less, the employee said they have a pricing guide of what an item costs in another store and that’s how they price items. This is clearly not true because if it was, a planter from the dollar tree that’s $1.00 would not costs $2.25 in Goodwill.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I took a carload of goods into the Lexington SC, Sunset Blvd. store Sun. 6/24/18. The lady that assisted me did not lift a hand to help me take the items out of my car, never said thank you. Goodwill employee needs to think about why they have a job. She acted as if she was doing me a flavor. I will be giving to other organizations, I don't have to take that kind of attitude. ''Never again'' ungrateful.

Original review: June 23, 2018

For the past few months that I have been shopping at the Goodwill, the prices are getting more and more steep. Today, I saw a painting for $35. A random person drew two giraffes and framed it, it cost $19.99, a beat up stereo $35 and the speakers each costing $15.00 a piece- not even sold as a set so the whole thing cost $60. This is the Goodwill in Jamaica Plain Massachusetts. I find that the Goodwill on, Melnea Cass Blvd Ma. has hiked up the prices as well. Jeans cost 7.49 for the regular and the name brand jeans are much more (I'm not sure how much more). I think this is ridiculous. I'm wondering if the store was told to do this by headquarters or the separate stores deciding on their own to do this.

I've always spent my money in these stores and have donated some stuff as well. I like that the money helps low income families while making a profit for other programs they run but it seems they are now trying to make a profit off of the low income people to make a profit and this just isn't right. (I wish I took pictures but please check it out yourself. I'm so disappointed.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We bought several things from Goodwill W. Wendover Ave. Greensboro, clothes, summer clothes, pictures, books... and this paper... 2 packs of expensive 3 ring binder graphed paper. Neither pack made it into my bag. I went back to see where it was put because not in my bag. Instead of looking I was offered a refund. CLEARLY stolen from the young woman cashier who must not have realized it was out on the sales floor and decided she wanted it. WOW.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’ve shopped at many Goodwills for years, I’ve never ran into more issues than the one located at MacDade in Delaware County. Managers and employees pass with the wind. What happened today is what made me finally have enough of the embarrassment, and rudeness from them. I shopped for literally hours talking to friendly employees and waiting on more items to come out in the big bins they push out, I go to check out and one of the items I have is a pressed glass punch bowl, I found laying on the ground behind a bin and not even on a shelf, it had four punch cups that matched and broken glass in it, that almost cut me.

I put it in my basket and inspect it, it had fifteen dollar tag marked “set” on the bowl and each cup was marked “set” too, I continue shopping to find three more punch cups matching it, they all had one dollar tags “each”, one cup had clearly been chipped badly underneath, and few seem to have internal cracks in the handles, so I was now left with an odd number of cups, seven. Later on shopping I just happened to find the base to the punch bowl behind some electronic equipment, it may have had a tag too for a “set” that was ten or fifteen dollars.

I then find pressed plates that appear to have similar star pattern base all marked as a ten dollar “set”. I go to check out and I already have two items purchased which I offered to wrap, I said “I have a set of glass”. She goes “OH, You going to be forever”. She turns to the lady behind me and says “come on”. I said “wait”. The cashier says “she only got this”, pointing to two paperback novels, the lady holding them says “oh that’s fine really, I can wait...” I said “na, that’s alright. You can go”. I was so taken back that in the middle of me ringing up my stuff, she volunteers someone to go ahead of me, I was literally moving something outta the way and she already assumed I was going to take so long that she has the right to take another customer, It was truly the principle, she should’ve asked me first before tell the lady to go ahead.

Beside this cashier rolls her eyes at you if you ask her to price check the smallest things that may got broke since they’ve been out, so I back getting rung up and the cashier says “you gotta box?” I said “out in the car. Want me to go get it?” She says “no”. She leaves then comes back, so it comes time to put the punch bowl and all pieces that appear to go with it, up on counter for the cashier who I thought I had made a good relationship with from frequently shopping all of a sudden sees the plates that said ten dollars a “set” and says “OH NO, NO, NO there’s no way they marked ten dollars, No, No, No, I don’t think so, I marked these myself, and they were twenty five dollars for this punch bowl set”. She is yelling angrily at me, and refusing to allow me to even speak, so I go, “take a look for yourself, I go look at each thing there is marked individually”. She turns her back on me and storms away without even acknowledging a word.

Meanwhile there’s a massive line forming, and not one person would even look me in the face, they were all embarrassed for me, you could see the disgust in their faces, as if I was some criminal changing price tags. So a man from the back comes up and asks the cashier to calm down, it going to be alright, you would think a horrific crime was just committed. He says to me “I’m sorry, but this set will have to be reprocessed and repriced”, and I said “what? That’s the price that’s on them, that’s what they're priced, there’s not one tag that says twenty five dollars anywhere on this set, I had to re-piece this thing together”.

That’s when cashier was calling me a liar, and said “I put all that out together, it was all one”, and I reiterated the same sentiments, the man then took the box containing everything into the back. I now told the cashier I don’t want the rest of the stuff in my cart, and proceeded to check out. After leaving the register in embarrassment I bagged up my things myself for I didn’t want this cashier touching my things as she complains and does a horrible job wrapping my glass items, and didn’t even offer to bag my stuff, so I just did it myself to allow the line to move on. I proceed to the back and spoke with a manager who I was told came back temporarily because the normal manager has vanished for going on two weeks without a word.

I told him the situation, he was polite and said that it’s unfortunate but someone must’ve switched the tags, I said to him “you're telling me that someone switched the tags on a punch bowl, base, seven each individually marked cups, and set of plates and then decide to scatter it about and not even buy it? That’s so absurd, why would that happen? There wasn’t one item marked twenty five dollars in that whole lot, there were a few punch cups with a dollar on them", I said. So manager shrugs his shoulders and says, "We’re trying to crack down on this and we’ve hired in store security," I said “good, so I want you to review your tapes, and see what happened, go review them”, he said “ok, I will do that”, I said “so what’s going to happen to my the stuff I wanted? You going to put it out here repriced for someone else to purchase when I leave?” He goes “No, I will have the guy do it right now”.

He then pushed door open to back room and told guy to reprice for me, right now. He told me it should be out shortly, I left store, to put my purchases in car, and waited. When I re-entered the manager was at the front, he said, "It over there in the box on counter," I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was now not even what the cashier who says she priced it at twenty five dollars, but now at an outrageous price of forty-five dollars! I shook my head and said “how did it become forty five dollars?" He said “that’s just the price they came up with in the back”. I said “you know what? That’s ridiculous, did you explain to her (the cashier) there wasn’t one tag for twenty five dollars on any of the pieces, and that they were all marked?”

I was hoping perhaps for an apology but he didn’t even say anything to her, but I’m sure she heard me, I told that manager “I may been willing to pay a little more than ten dollars because there were different prices, but I’m not paying forty-five dollars”. He then said “you know, I maybe able to take ten dollars off but that’s about it”. I said “nope, you need to review your footage, because you can clearly see it was not all together and marked twenty five dollars”. I then left, and I completely am sick of them trying to treat customers as criminals because they go through four different employees a month, most of whom are convicted criminals who are there out on community service to lighten the sentence, and these are the people who are going to appraise the free items donated in good condition, that end up being neglected, kicked, shoved, thrown in bins.

It’s a shame that so much of this stuff is broken out of pure ignorance, and carelessness. I had an issue before when the manager openly admitted that items marked as “sets” maybe not “sets” by incompetent employees, just because they can’t find the rest of the set, they say it must be a mistake with the price gun, and I told them that so many of these items I pick up all have “set” on them so you need to honor that and get me the other one or adjust the price at least since someone broke, bought, or lost the other one(s). But they go “no we aren’t going to do that, I’m sorry it’s our new trainees. They don’t know how to use the price guns, I wish we’d get rid of those guns altogether”, and I said I “understand some things may have been mistaken as sets but not one bookend, or one candle stick, it’s very likely there were probably two”.

Then the manager goes “no we wouldn’t have marked them as sets, my customers buy them as single items”. That’s when I said “your customers want only one of a pair of matching candlesticks or bookends, and you wouldn’t mark those types of things as sets?” She goes “yep, I can tell by its price whether it should be a set, if it's under five dollars it's not ever going to be marked set, so these things that are three dollars are mismarked”. I then just looked at her in disbelief and said “do you realize as a customer, how complicated all this is, and how no one would assume any of this, and that this is a lot to take in”. She goes “I just explained it to you, and I can’t do anything about it." She goes, "I can’t take anything off the price”. I said “you're assuming some things were mismarked, but it's very likely what I said about someone buy, breaking, losing the item is likely too”.

She refused to do anything because of their own employees' mistakes and instead think it's fair for me to understand their warped dysfunctional pricing issue which she keeps up in her head (the manager). These people think they're antique dealers and they take anything they choose and determine to be valuable and send it back to their main corporation to be sold online for maximum profits. The customer is left with items that can’t be shipped, such as a broken piano that they asked one thousand dollars for or a telescope that’s six hundred dollars, furniture that’s always being sold for absurd prices, broken glass and porcelain that’s being compared to rare items on eBay which are “asking” not being “sold for” things that in the vaguest ways perhaps resembled an item that the goodwill possessed, so therefore they label the items to be competitive with eBay.

You really can’t say you're a thrift store and place a one thousand dollar price tag on a used, beat up, treadmill with who knows how many hours on it and what kinda repairs it needs, and think your customer base which consists of undereducated, underfinanced, and many times just about homeless veterans and citizens have the ability or means to purchase an item anywhere the fraction of that. It’s very sad that things you wish your community to have get boxed up and shipped out for goodwill to profit off of. And yet no professionals are used, and yet three different people could come up with three different prices, and not one employee or manager said we need to honor any the tags on the items at the very least. Thank you, for your time. I hope my frustrations were understandable, and everything was caught on camera so please tell me how we can obtain if we are to continue, I do have photo on phone of item and prices.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have found many Target items at Goodwill and they still have the Target clearance price tag and Goodwill prices them higher than the clearance prices. Goodwill production employees have to hit a target number each month and that is determined by how they price items that they get for free. Goodwill also only has one community benefit and that is teaching English to people who speak Spanish. They do not help the community in which they are located. People and companies need to start donating to Salvation Army, which helps the communities that they are in. Salvation Army is a true nonprofit organization, not Goodwill. Please stop shopping and donating to Goodwill, help make a change and share this information with your local politicians and corporations.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Rising costs in 2018. I live in OK. A state that's lowest in pay and economic flourish compared to other states. Also on disability. Went into Goodwill today and paid over 45.00 for 5 items that weren't even name brand or in perfect shape. Not even close. Something has to be done about the scandals with the rising TO NEW AND BRAND NAME CLOTHING COSTS CURRENTLY. LET'S SHUT THEM DOWN AND STOP SHOPPING HERE. I'M DONE!

Original review: May 27, 2018

I went on Sunday (which here is the day a new color goes to 50% off) a few times and noticed very few items with the color of the week which seemed strange to me. In our stores, the colors are in alphabetical order beginning with blue and ending with red -- the current color was blue so I knew the new color would be green.

So, last Saturday at 7pm I went to my local store and literally counted the number of green tagged items in the dress section. All sizes from XS-3X. There were 39 total. I went to the store at 10am on Sunday -- I was first in line -- and made a beeline to the same racks. Total number of green tags -- 6 in all. Where were all the sales items? Got me, but I think it's safe to assume they were pulled from the floor and in their place were many more full-price red tagged dresses. I think it is bait and switch to lure shoppers with a 50% sale come-on and then pull those sale items from the floor, leaving only more $$ items which shoppers, already there, might buy.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Recently paid 10.00 for a coffee pot that didn’t work. Spend a lot of money in Goodwill and have bought several items that were priced too high that didn’t work or were missing parts. If Goodwill is going to mark items to a premium price shouldn’t they have to make sure they work or all parts are there?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Approx. 1:00 drop off. I’ve got a 20’ trailer full of nice household items to donate. Man walks out says “what’s under the tarp,” I reply “household goods mainly. I’m moving into a RV to travel, out of a 4 bedroom house. Can’t take everything so I’m donating.” Man seems to be very upset that I show up & starts telling me items they won’t take. I reply, "Well if you see something you don’t want I’ll leave it on my trailer." He goes gets a box that stands about 4’ high, sits it by a door and tells us to put the stuff in there while they all stand there doing fist bumps and gabbing, & watching from a distance.

My sister stands about 5’4” trying to help me put heavy boxes of stuff in their box. If they would see something they didn’t want they would come tell us. One man comes out saying they won’t take brooms or mops because they're used. I said I used them 1 time each, didn’t like the way they worked and they look brand new. He reply “this is an upscale neighborhood that don’t like used mops or brooms even if it was one time.” I reply “this is Shawnee Kansas sir. This is far away from being upscale unless you come from a 3rd world country.”

The stuff I was dropping off was 100% better than the stuff people were dropping off and what was in their boxes. Employee comes out when I was unloading a very nice bookshelf, that has adjustable middle shelves asking where the pegs were for the shelving. I reply I’m not sure, but pegs don’t cost that much. It was obvious to me that they didn’t appreciate or care that I was making a huge donation of very nice stuff to help support their CEO’s 700,000.00 plus yearly income.

I had a box of different size screws including the big boxes of several sizes of deck screws and they didn’t want those either. Man told me to take them to Habitat for Humanity. I had enough and put the tarp back on and went to Savers thrift store that supports the Boys and Girls clubs in what I call an upscale area NOT Shawnee. Savers was more than happy to unload and take everything except for the paint. Habitat for Humanity didn’t want the screws either but Savers took them. Savers was very grateful and helpful. I have always donated to Goodwill but never again. Worst experience ever giving away nice stuff.

Goodwill Store Company Information