3.5/5 (158 ratings)

About Goodwill Store

Goodwill Store Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: March 16, 2022

You simply scam people, it's 110% profit off people that donate. Then you have the balls to charge more for stuff than Ross or TJ Maxx. YOUR Stuff IS USED! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A DAMN THRIFT STORE. SCAM!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I have ordered thousands of dollars in auctions over the past year however there are Stores Arizona, California (includes Orange County, LA, and more) Washington, will show how much item weighs such as purse weighs 1.7 pounds and they estimate my shipping charge and handling, Well handling is $4 and then they charge for a 9 pound package for shipping??? What? I ship items every day and a purse weighing less than 2 pounds will NOT TAKE 7 PLUS pounds of shipping materials causing it to weigh 9 pounds to ship.??? So why are these Goodwill stores cheating us??? I avoid buying anything from them for this reason. Washington DC, Paloma, TN, KY are several who have extremely reasonable shipping and only charge between $2-2.99 in handling per item. I don't understand why they think this is OK, Not only is it immoral, it is stealing.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I've bought from ShopGoodwill.com before and had good experiences but this time I purchased a bundle of items and when I received them it turned out all of them are counterfeit which is technically illegal for them to sell. They need to know what they are selling before someone sues them or they end up with a huge fine.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I purchased an item online from Goodwill in Seattle. The weight was listed as 2.8 pounds then the shipping weight was changed to 29 pounds and $38 for shipping for an item that cost $9. They were contacted and gave some weird explanation about why the price of shipping was so high. If they put the correct shipping weight the calculator sends out the correct shipping price from Fedex but they refused to even acknowledge the weight they put in the calculator.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Hi my name is Debbie, I have been a customer for years at your establishment. I have also donated many, many times and is my pleasure to do so. I am also a senior citizen on a fixed income, hence why I find it necessary to shop at your many stores. What is really upsetting me is I feel your stores are price gouging the public, the prices have increased double than what they used to be. I have been finding things that I know for a fact that come from the Dollar Tree, and your stores are doubling that price! Your clothes have gone up so much I can’t afford to buy them! If I wanted to buy clothing and household items at this price I might as well buy them new for the same price, I know you realize that these are used items and are being sold as if they were new, I don’t understand what is going on?

You get these items for free, you are not paying for any merchandise. I understand you need to pay your employees and utilities. But come on…. Other businesses do too but they pay for their merchandise. I realize there has been a pandemic, and as a senior citizen I need it more now. If I can’t even shop at a Good Will it’s pretty bad. I’m pretty sure you are making millions on donated things. I have been to many Goodwills in NJ as well as PA and the price gouging is in all your stores, why would your establishment take advantage of poor people. It’s very, very sad and disheartening to know I can’t depend on Good Will for clothing and household items anymore. And trust me I’m not the only one that feels this way. I have talked to many people in many Good Wills that feel the same way. Your company should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of the same people that support you.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I bought a coffee maker... brought it home. I notice was missing parts and it does not work.. This was last night Nov 6. I went immediately the next day to exchange it and they said they don't do exchanges and no money back. If you are buying in Goodwill make sure product is in good condition. I think they are a scheme company. They are a fraudulent company store is in Orange City Florida.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Some shopping. I was going normal. Put some things in the cart and then my girlfriend shows up. Needs the key to lock her bike up. So I leave the shopping cart at the door with my backpack in it. Look through my backpack for face mask. Go outside to hand it to my girlfriend. Come back in managers going through the shopping cart then she called security and she says I'm I've been trespassed because of a different store. How you going to trespass somebody if they have a mask on. How do you know who that person is. The things I had in my backpack already had my initials carved into them and I let the manager go through it all. There was nothing stolen but she said Goodwill security said to trespass me.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Prices are high for a donated items, NO more color tag discounted weekly and on top of that they sort out and put good brand/ good condition on their boutique area and priced it even more high. Even the RIPPED items aren't give discount. I wonder if they are really doing their mission to the community to give jobs to the disabbled people. For me, it is just WRONG to price high the goods that has only been donated. No investement involved, No mission/vision to the community. It is total SCAM.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Goodwill’s Bold New Pricing in 2021 Has Greed Written All Over It. During the Pandemic that started in early 2020 there was a huge shift in the buying habits of consumers since most people had to stay at home for a lockdown with nothing to do. It’s like everybody had the same idea - “Hey let’s do some home renovations”, and all across the nation people shopped for building supplies for their home projects. Of course store suppliers couldn’t keep up with the demand and stores raised their prices.

The housing market saw huge increases in homes for sale as inventory levels sank when people moving from the big cities to smaller towns offering to pay 40, 70, and up to 100 thousand over market value for available homes. Many department stores across the country raised their prices because supply couldn’t meet demand. Thrift stores that serve the poor, and middle class saw an increase in shoppers at their stores, however supply didn’t noticeably change, some thrift stores raised their prices some but some remained the same.

What did the Goodwill thrift stores do in response to this surge in sales? ... You guessed it, they raised their prices! They saw an opportunity and they took it. And not by a little bit either, items that only a year ago were priced at 99 cents are now 2.99. A coffee table that you could buy a year ago at $6 or $7 now is selling for 34.95! A kitchen jar for sugar that sold for $1.50 a year ago now sells for $4.99. A dresser, or chest of drawers that sold for $15 a year ago now sells for $40.

This increase in prices at Goodwill Industries are not isolated incidents. The ones we checked here in central Indiana and north-central Indiana were evident in the 6 stores we visited over the past year. There’s no way to “sugar-coat” what is happening here, it’s just plain old-fashioned Price gouging. We all understand the purpose of Goodwill is to help jobless people by employing them and giving them a fair wage. The other way Goodwill helps people is to provide them with economical goods for the home so their struggle with the cost of living isn’t so great. The worst thing about this is it hurts the poor families that need and count on deeply discounted goods to survive. So why is Goodwill engaging in price gouging? Because they can!

One Goodwill manager I spoke to about this told me they assess prices based on a master sheet of base prices that all stores in their group follow, then the individual managers still look at items and further assess them into 3 categories of good, better, or best. An example: a wooden kitchen chair in good condition will be priced at $10, and if they think it rates a “better” condition that chair will be priced at $20, and if they think that chair is in “best” condition they will price it at $30, or even $40. As you can imagine any items that are nice enough to bring home and use they will price them in the “best” category.

At Goodwill the manager told me they are just pricing items at what they think the market will bear... but what “market” are they looking at? Many of the poor will not be able to shop there and get the things they need but Goodwill knows the middle class will shop there and pay the prices they want. So there you have it... GREED rears its ugly head. It’s just a shame Goodwill turned on and abandoned the people they intended to serve from their inception... but as my wife stated to me: “Goodwill will continue to overprice their items as long as people continue to pay those prices”.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I shop in Indy, they have a practice of writing on everything with a black permanent marker on the actual item! This is really annoying and ruining the item, and don't let me get started on their new price hike, blankets at 29 bucks! Um heck no way, brand name clothing now 10 bucks, they do know this stuff was given to them right?!!

Goodwill Store Company Information