1.35/5
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

608 Goodwill Store Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

Recently paid 10.00 for a coffee pot that didn’t work. Spend a lot of money in Goodwill and have bought several items that were priced too high that didn’t work or were missing parts. If Goodwill is going to mark items to a premium price shouldn’t they have to make sure they work or all parts are there?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Approx. 1:00 drop off. I’ve got a 20’ trailer full of nice household items to donate. Man walks out says “what’s under the tarp,” I reply “household goods mainly. I’m moving into a RV to travel, out of a 4 bedroom house. Can’t take everything so I’m donating.” Man seems to be very upset that I show up & starts telling me items they won’t take. I reply, "Well if you see something you don’t want I’ll leave it on my trailer." He goes gets a box that stands about 4’ high, sits it by a door and tells us to put the stuff in there while they all stand there doing fist bumps and gabbing, & watching from a distance.

My sister stands about 5’4” trying to help me put heavy boxes of stuff in their box. If they would see something they didn’t want they would come tell us. One man comes out saying they won’t take brooms or mops because they're used. I said I used them 1 time each, didn’t like the way they worked and they look brand new. He reply “this is an upscale neighborhood that don’t like used mops or brooms even if it was one time.” I reply “this is Shawnee Kansas sir. This is far away from being upscale unless you come from a 3rd world country.”

The stuff I was dropping off was 100% better than the stuff people were dropping off and what was in their boxes. Employee comes out when I was unloading a very nice bookshelf, that has adjustable middle shelves asking where the pegs were for the shelving. I reply I’m not sure, but pegs don’t cost that much. It was obvious to me that they didn’t appreciate or care that I was making a huge donation of very nice stuff to help support their CEO’s 700,000.00 plus yearly income.

I had a box of different size screws including the big boxes of several sizes of deck screws and they didn’t want those either. Man told me to take them to Habitat for Humanity. I had enough and put the tarp back on and went to Savers thrift store that supports the Boys and Girls clubs in what I call an upscale area NOT Shawnee. Savers was more than happy to unload and take everything except for the paint. Habitat for Humanity didn’t want the screws either but Savers took them. Savers was very grateful and helpful. I have always donated to Goodwill but never again. Worst experience ever giving away nice stuff.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Why are men’s T-shirts priced at $2.99 while women's are $4.99? All categories in men’s clothing are half the price as women’s! Considering the items are acquired by Goodwill at no cost, gender discrimination is the only logical explanation for the difference in price.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Brand New Goodwill Clearance Center on Boutwell Rd, Lake Worth, FLORIDA has become in the last 2 weeks a place where shoppers have to buy a MINIMUM of 11 pounds items at $1.99/lb. So, in order to buy there you have to spend $22 MINIMUM. (11x $2=$22). Required minimum 11lbs on EVERYTHING that can be weighed, except for books. Books are 5 for $2. So, shoppers have to buy EVERYTHING other than books by the required minimum 11 lbs. Ah, and shoppers need a CARD to shop there too. I will be shocked if that whole new ways of doing business at that Goodwill aren't ILLEGAL practice. That Goodwill has become a shopping CLUB. MINIMUM PURCHASE is REQUIRED.

Original review: May 6, 2018

My son was hired at Goodwill and LOVED his job for several months. Then, manager, then assistance manager quit - no notice. No surprise now why that would have happened... New manager and new assistance manager proceeded to systematically, in an uncaring and frankly illegal way began to harass, nag, demand, complain and hound hard workers every day for NO BENEFIT whatsoever of NOTHING!

Not only my son but others with disabilities as well - pushing them until they quit or trumping up unsubstantiated reason to fire them. They treat employees like TRASH, are unable to communicate like adults, discuss disagreements, lie, play games, and used 'back-handed' tricks and childish, unprofessional behavior. It was unreal! Where do they find such idiots and what measures could GOODWILL possibly use to make individuals like these MANAGERS over others? I will never spend a single cent in a Goodwill store - ever - anywhere. And, I recommend that the Fletcher, NC store be shut down and these people get prosecuted for their actions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: May 5, 2018

I was at the Anderson store at 5:30 and was wanting to get a table there. The tag you take up front to pay was missing. I asked about the item and they said a person has till 9pm to buy it or it will be retagged. I came back at 8:45 (table was still there) and ask if I could buy it and was told no it would be retagged tomorrow for the half off day? I am willing to pay full price tonight but you would not take my money per management? Everything nice in the bigger items had tag missing? How do I know the manager does not take the tags and have his friends buy tomorrow at half off? I have been to the store before and had the cashier ask if anybody has the tag to whatever item over the speaker. Goodwill needs to look into the management they hire.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Manager’s Bad Attitude—Hilton Head SC. I was in Hilton Head with my father when we decided to go thrift shopping. We chose this Goodwill which was a mistake. My dad found an item that he wanted to purchase but it did not have a price so he asked a girl to price it for him and told him it would be coming out of the back shortly. When he saw it coming out he approached the lady “Mary Ann” as he was under the impression that she knew it was being priced for him.

Mary Ann starts to scream at my father so loud I hear her across the store. I go over to my father who was at that time speaking to the girl that sent the item back for pricing. She then walks up to Mary Ann to explain that she had sent the item back for pricing and Mary Ann starts screaming at her. At this point I did a little screaming of my own. Mary Ann is not only rude and disrespectful to customers but also to her coworkers. She obvious doesn’t understand that customers are what fuels her paycheck. My thoughts for Mary Ann is to find another job, get laid, and smoke her one. Aside from Mary Ann everyone there was very friendly.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Crazy prices for shipping and handling fees. Would be better if they offered retractions like eBay that don't jeopardize accounts closure. Buyer beware. Some items may not work from past experiences myself from buying on their old website years ago.

Original review: April 25, 2018

When you go to the Goodwill Store on South Cobb in Smyrna look for one of the assistants Cassie **. She's a delight, professional, a smile on her face and very helpful. Her manager Chris is aware of this, as I spoke with him yesterday. As well that is the very best of all the stores that I shop at... clean... great music... well priced merchandise. Great to have in our neighborhood. Please recognize Cass. Thank you.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I went to the Goodwill located at 4605 Dixie Hwy, Fairfield, OH 45014 tonight (4/19/18) at 8:40 pm. The minute we came in the door we were told they were closing in 15 minutes and we "better hurry." Then in the course of the next 20 minutes we were told 6 times they were closing. Including the whining complaints of an employee wishing they could "kick the customers the heck out of there." 6 announcements/reminders/complaints in 20 minutes. When we got to the front I told the staff and the lead that it had been a miserable shopping experience due to reminders averaging every 3.25 minutes. Plus complaints. I felt harassed. The lead was just as rude as the staff. Then I was stuck in line while two staff members made repeated rude comments to me and the lead argued with me about what I heard and barely anything to correct the staff.

I understand that one of the functions of Goodwill is to train special needs people. But shouldn't there be someone teaching them that has professional skills? I understand people are tired and want to go home. But rude, insulting, name-calling behavior by staff in any place of business is simply unacceptable. I spoke back because I wasn't going to stand there and be a punching bag for the staff. And I regret responding to their rude low-class behavior. However, I feel that things would not have escalated if they simply took my complaint reasonably. If this site is receiving funds as a training center, that money is being misused. No one should be treated the way we were treated tonight.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am semi disabled so work a small store out of my home to provide for my family. My source of sales is from Goodwill Online Auction. Seattle to South Carolina there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS items sold. Upon purchase you are charged a "handling fee" and a "shipping fee". It's fraud on the shipping. It will cost 16.20 for three small pieces of jewelry... Flat rate box is 5.90 because post offers discount to businesses. They SEATTLE have duped the buyer trying to survive an additional $10.00. I understand handling but this is illegal. They list weight at 2 lbs and below it shows actual weight at 6 ounces. I am reporting this. Not every store does it. Texas does not and many others. It is said to be NON PROFIT yet many of these stores are FOR PROFIT. Someone needs to look into a class action on this.

Original review: April 10, 2018

When browsing in the local Goodwill I couldn't help but notice the high prices marked on the name brand clothing. 12.98 for jeans and 10.00 for kids' hoodies! For those prices customers can go to the stores and shop the clearance racks! Outrageous!

Original review: March 25, 2018

Goodwill Englewood, Florida. Bought brand new mattress... horrible in less than a week. I used it and sunk in and my husband tried it and he sunk in and had bad back in the morning. Total waste of money... piece of crap... worthless. Worst mattress ever... just a bad lump. Can’t even use it for anything.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Went to get a pair of toddler shoes and they were trying to charge me $16.99 cause it was Jordan instead the Mike's were 7.99 and in better shape. Then a coat I was going to buy my son smelled like cat urine. I found a bag of cars for my son and out 10 cars (for $5.99) 2 worked and the others either fell apart or were missing parts. I didn't notice until after I left I bought my son a little bag for 2.49 and they charged me 5.99.

Original review: March 10, 2018 Shame on them for pricing items so high that were donated. $40 for used /worn, out of season/style jeans just because they have a brand name on them?

Someone donated them out of the kindness of their heart to help those less fortunate, not so that a greedy corporation could rip people off. I have donated so much to them over the years and spent too much there as well. They don't want to help others only to take advantage. This company is a monster. I'm all for recycling items but they need to be held accountable for how they're going about it. We're better off throwing our stuff onto the street so people who need it can get it.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Have been a good customer at this Goodwill store for several years. Since Goodwill has initiated its online auction site, most things that have the slightest value end up on the site, and you must pay shipping and handling, for things that were obtained gratis, by Goodwill. Our local stores, apparently all owned by one family here, have become disgusting. Have been told by former employee, that the better donations, the better merchandise, is picked by staff, and held for the owners, for their personal use.

Only the junkier things, all received free of charge, go into stock. Now they've begun to gouge their customers, and everyone see it. An item might have a TJ Maxx price tag still attached, $3.99, Management has priced it at $5.99! They are gouging the poor! It's rumored that the owners of these stores, in my area, live in mansions, and receive exorbitant salaries, cherry pick the donations, and pressure the management to gouge poor people who shop there. The employees are treated as slaves. The pressure is on the cashiers to encourage shoppers to "round up" their change from a purchase, for Goodwill's "mission".

That is laughable!! I've been into the "jobs" center - a few computers, a few pamphlets. It's a shill, a front for non-profit status, and cheating people. The cashiers are subject to disciplinary action, if they are unable to make a certain percentage of change "round up". They're asking POOR PEOPLE for their spare change, so the owner can live in a mansion!!! How can they get away with this? How do they have non-profit status?? It is clearly a "for profit" organization! Here, they pay $9.00 an hour, and pressure them to rake in money from the poor. It's absolutely disgusting. I believe it's time for some entity, IRS, and others, to get involved, to take a good hard look at Goodwill. They are not what they claim, but have become so wealthy, that it enables them to put one in every neighborhood. The convenience, in turn brings in huge donations, which is really hurting the TRUE charities, like Salvation Army, and others.

I've been told that management is mandated to have two vehicles, at their disposal, to ensure they will get to work. If they do not, they might have access to a company vehicle - not for their use, but just as a backup, but the employee must pay the taxes, insurance, and upkeep on said vehicle! How can they do that? Is that legal?? I know of one manager, a great employee, who recently walked off the job, due to this very situation. I would like to remain anonymous, but would very much like for someone to get involved. I'm happy to be contacted, and speak about my experiences at Goodwill.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Menomonee Falls Goodwill - I saw employees in this Goodwill change prices of items once customers got to the register. This cashier said, "oh wow that is not the right price" even though it was ticketed with a tag through the plastic at $2.99. So she makes the customer wait for 5 minutes while the manager goes to the back to correctly price it. She comes back with a price of $5.99. Awful customer service. All prices have been increasing 3 fold in last year. Prices are the same as at a regular store or more. Medela Single Breast Pump for $149.99 but at Target it's $149.99.

Goodwill used to be a place I donated to but I wanted to check out what they priced this jacket I donated to them. I couldn't believe that they priced it at $100. I didn't pay $100 for it new. Will be holding a rummage sale instead from now on because 90% of the employees in the stores are not disabled. Also, they now ask if you want to round up to even # say your total is 9.10, they ask would you like to round to 10. If you don't they give you a disgusted look and change the prices.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My wife received a $100.00 Gift Card for a Birthday Gift. Her father send it from Las Vegas. We live in Forest Grove Oregon. My wife and I went to the Forest Grove Goodwill and spent $80.00. She used her "Gift Card" or tried to use it. The employee stated that that "Gift Card" is no good at this store! They told her she needed to go to Las Vegas and use this "Gift Card". What kind of garbage is this! I've heard a lot of bad rumors about Goodwill. After checking into it they are true! The CEO should be ashamed of himself for doing the American people like this!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have been using the Goodwill Online Auction for several years and 2 things have recently become intolerable. First when I bid on an item early in its posting (5 days before end) I normally start biding with a relatively high bid that puts me as the current lead bidder by maybe $100, by the end of that day someone bids the item up to within one bid increment below my bid (usually $2 lower) which makes the next bidder the leader. My winning bid will stay winning for another 5 days until the last minute of the auction and then it's lost.

If they are not using shill bidders that can see my blind maximum bid then how do they 5 days early bid up to within a couple dollars of my max bid and then mysteriously stop bidding? This practice IF true would allow them to #1 get the max out of every blind maximum bid while #2 putting the item within one minimum bid from winning or #3 from a shill bidder not allowing the item to sell for my max bid price, allowing for the product to be relisted later. Reading many other reviews this practice if true seems to be systemic on this website.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Every Sunday Goodwill sales changes their color tags. Starting on Saturday afternoons the employees start removing that colored items and all during the week. I thought it was only a problem at the store by my house so I shopped all other locations within a 50 mile radius and witnessed the same deplorable action at all other stores. They pull the sale items and put them in the back, or change the color tags.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I’ve bought 3 different orders off of ShopGoodwill. First one was a great order. Second was a video game. The save battery was dead, which kind of an inconvenience. I bought a replacement battery, which was $3. No big deal. My most recent order was a Nintendo 64 with 3 games. The description said it was tested and guaranteed to Work. I received it, and the AV cable was destroyed. I bought another for $5, which wasn’t a problem. Only problem was the games did not work. When I requested a refund for the broken items, I was asked “Are they really worth returning?” I’m sorry, but spending $150 on games and not having them Work is worth a return. After this experience, I will not be shopping on ShopGoodwill.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

For the past month, I have noticed when I go to ALL the Katy, TX Goodwill stores, they are removing all clothes, etc. that have the colored coded 75% off for the week. They take the items to the back, and remove the plastic or stickers and replace with a color that is not on special for the week. I was under the impression that Goodwill is supposed to help the people that cannot afford to go to the store and pay full price. I was also under the impression that the items are donated and do not cost them anything. What is going on? I actually have pictures of items that were a certain color the prior week and was changed. You enter on a Sunday at noon when they open, and it's an ocean of stickers and plastic coloring that have been changed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

HOLY COW! This Grafton Wisconsin Goodwill store opened 3 years ago-prices were good, MANY brand name top-shelf items, such as Coach, Miss Me Jeans, Rock Revival Jeans, etc...I could get these jeans at $6.99; however, I started noticing prices inflate steadily and skyrocket. Odd how whenever I returned to this store, no more Miss Me Jeans, or any of the brand names that were once so readily available. When I did find a nice brand, it would be jacked up to $24.99! Give me a break!! I can't tell you how many times I purchased toys that never worked-I only received store credit. Why can't I get my cash back if the toy is broken??!! Why am I forced to purchase another item from the store??

On top of that, I have noticed well-dressed businessmen in the store in the morning, giving orders to employees on what to put out on the racks and what stays in the back. Goodwill has become ultra-greedy, and they are using the ruse of "helping others get jobs" to rake in millions for their CEOs. I am done shopping at Goodwill!!! I will not support an establishment who has found a sneaky way to take donated FREE items and turn them into profit for the "higher ups." Disgusted and waiting to see what will come of this situation within a year!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I visited the store in Iowa City and noticed that the book prices have risen again. First they changed most hardbound books to a higher price, but then on this visit they changed the prices again. A lot of books were marked up to as much as $3.88, even paperback books. While scanning the books it appeared that the pricing was random as some of the same titled books were priced differently, even books of the same quality.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

In the past I could be confident that things I purchased from Goodwill still had some life left in it. Lately however several electronic items I have purchased through shopgoodwill.com have been totally unusable. Please don't do that. Some had signs of attempted/botched repair. If it is no longer usable throw it away or recycle it. Don't "donate" it to charity. Not Cool!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

This is a complaint for shopgoodwill.com auction at Goodwill of Greater East Bay Oakland Fairfield, CA. I have a pleasant auction experiences in the past with some Goodwill auctions but this GW pulled a bait & switch trick on me recently. I placed a bid on an auction listing, a used Bang & Olufsen 4002 turntable & won the item & paid the amount due promptly. I received a FedEx tracking update right away that the item I won has shipped & should be arriving in a few days. The package arrived only to find out, I was sent an inexpensive Pioneer turntable, nowhere close in name or appearance to the item I bought. A lucky bidder who paid for an inexpensive Pioneer turntable ended up receiving the item that I bought & is not obligated to return the wrong item received due to Goodwill Fairfield mistake while I have to be inconvenienced for the return of the wrong item I received so I could get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

At my local Goodwill in Angola Indiana I left furious after the manager said I couldn't purchase a jacket that didn't have a price tag. I was willing to pay whatever they wanted for it. It was a Northface and I only called the manager up for a price when the cashier told her it didn't have a price tag. The manager said to the cashier quietly, "It's not supposed to be out here" but I heard her say it. Then she snatches it up and says to me, "It's damaged I can't sell it to you". I said, "No it's not". (I had totally checked it overlooking for the price.) She said, "Yes it's melted on the back". I said, "I didn't see that, show me". She refused and walked to the back with it saying, "It's damaged I can't sell it to you"... But it was a lie.

I know the employees and they know me and every other reseller in our area. I asked the other employees if they thought that was right. Of course they wouldn't really even respond because of the fear of getting in trouble. It was so obvious. Everyone knows that Goodwill Industry is now in competition with reselling in general with their online sales and auctions and it's an insult to consumer (especially a reseller consumer) to have to fight with a charitable foundation over name brand goods. Consumers can buy everyday unbranded and generic items cheaper than Goodwill at retail stores. You take all the High End items and exclude them from your retail stores and I'm out. Done with Goodwill. It's obvious you don't respect the consumer let alone your employees.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have purchased numerous items on shopgoodwill.com. I am becoming more and more discouraged with each purchase. Although some things I was satisfied with I would easily say 70% of purchases were not as described, either arriving broken (not from shipping) or missing parts. It is extremely frustrating at how obviously little time GW takes to describe their listed items. It appears they bulk list using a template for all listings. Simply stating a disclaimer that some items are not tested and/or sold for parts is unacceptable. If parts are broken or missing your listing should specifically say so.

I’ve had a couple auctions that posted a picture of a broken part, but did not mention it in the listing. Until I received the item I had no idea what I was looking at. Since the Buyer cannot physically inspect items They depend on the accuracy of the description to consider purchase. I would think GW as a reputable business would take the necessary steps to assure satisfaction. Some of the managers resolved the issue by refunding or offering a return, but overall I was still left disappointed. A little extra effort on GW behalf would go a long way.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have enjoyed both customer service and products received in the past. I have also spent at least a thousand dollars on their online store (because their really good stuff is online Hermes, Chanel, Gucci, etc). In 2017, their shipping prices were a little out of control. I would justify it by reminding myself how much I have saved. Yet, after paying $20 for shipping, it does get irritating that they wait almost a week to ship and still send it by cheap mail so that's another week of waiting.

I think the CEO and the gang got together and decided 2018 would be their year to really take shipping over the top. I noticed the uptick in shipping cost almost immediately following the strike of midnight on January 1, 2018. I really was interested in a beautiful smaller painting. $9.99 and ending soon. I almost clicked to bid and decided to double check shipping. HOLY COW $85.24??? And $10.00 handling?Almost $100.00 for shipping and handling. They bumped their heads.

Shipping shakedown is their new motto for the new year. It has to be because that just makes no sense otherwise.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Goodwill of the Olympics and Rainier Region is my local area and, holy cow, the online prices have increased three-fold, maybe four-fold in recent months. It's actually cheaper for me to buy something in the Midwest and have it FedEx-ed here than make a local pick up. My girlfriend and I are disgusted by GREEDwill as we call it. It's not just my friends but acquaintances too. We're fed up with these charities whose CEOs get compensated in the MILLIONS while the employees can't even afford to drive to work. I rarely shop GREEDwill anymore, I've been supporting independent thrift stores and local charities. (spit)

Goodwill Store Company Information