Goodwill Store

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I use to LOVE shopping at Goodwill. I'm a firm believer in recycling and love to give back however, I have decided to give (along with my friends and family I can convince) to Salvation Army instead. You would think because the items are donated, Goodwill wouldn't try to make a fortune off others free goods. I have also notice ALL the overpriced stuff! Not moving? I'm wondering: Are others thinking the same way I do? I pick up something I like only to discover I can get it at Walmart for less the price. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. I don't normally write reviews but I find this to be an important one! Shouldn't you encourage people to want to shop at Goodwill? Goodwill - Good-riddance.

Has anyone noticed lately that the stores (as in bricks and mortar) now are just filled with junk the people cannot sell at their garage sales? There is a very good reason for this. Goodwill has launched their own eBay site and now anything that is worth anything is now on there. This isn't right, people are donating these items for the poor to be able to afford something that still has a use and Goodwill now is making tens of millions off this money making scheme. Go look for yourself. http://shopgoodwill.com That is NOT RIGHT! This is supposed to be a charity, not another Walmart.

I asked an associate at the Orland Park, IL store on 5/31/17 which used to have shelves of very high quality shoes, "Where are all the shoes?" as the shelves were just about empty and the only stuff left on there was just junk that really belonged in the garbage that they wanted about 10 bucks a pair or higher for. I was told by the associate, "Oh those are all online now." That is BS! So now, a pair of decent shoes for the poor require a poor person to first have a computer which many don't, then they need a credit card or PayPal account, then they get to bid against people with high paying jobs that would typically not step foot in one of those stores because they found the item through Google which brought them to their site? That is not right! Greed at its best.

My grandmother has a service dog with her for pain. The employees told her she could not have her dog in the store even if she is a service dog (which is against the law) so my grandmother left the store to wait outside. I remained in the store since I was not done shopping. The employees, three women, continued to speak rudely about my grandmother even after she had taken her (SERVICE) dog out of the store as they had asked her to. Terrible experience. We are never going back to that location and I'm filing complaints with as many of their web pages as I can.

My experience was horrible as it was the first time that I had come into the Sanford store. The store had just opened up and a big heavy set blonde girl comes in and apparently the GM/Manager, yelling at two other employees that this is not how she wanted her store done. I felt terrible for the one she was yelling at as this one was just continuously telling her she was sorry and began crying.

Then skinny cashier that was helping me first of all made me wait for her to get back around the counter as she had to get involved with this general manager and her attitude. When she finally did go to take care of me she went to hand me the money but then turned AGAIN, away for me to then carry-on about how this manager has really bad anxiety but that she's going to be OK. In the meantime I'm reaching my hand out waiting for my money still, but this skinny older lady with really short hair could not get it together. And apparently neither can the store's general manager. It's was ridiculous the way they all carried on!

Goodwill is taking away the MGB plan that helped many with the five dollar coupon, saying the new card system they have is not working right. Now they are saying, "We will give you double credits on your card when you buy something." Their prices are so high on items that they get for free and are not worth the price they place on them. In April I had used my Goodwill card and the five dollar coupon was right there. Now in May I was told, "We are changing the system, and have sent out letters to you about that."

We always hear the commercials they claim they help people and are asking us to donated gently used clothing and in good shape items. They make it sound like a consignment shop when it is mainly them that get the benefit. The CEO there is a millionaire. If the card is not working out for the MGB plan then they should just easily go back to the blue coupons. Goodwill is taking advantage of our donations, we need to speak up and get the customer benefit back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

I am a disabled Senior, and this has happened to me 2 times now in Springfield, Oregon Goodwill. I promise as of today 5/9/2017, I will not go back to Goodwill and shop. The item (halogen lights) I bought was 6.69, and then the register lady takes off the price sticker and tells me it is the wrong sticker, calls the manager and they say I can't have the item for that price after already paid for. Then the manager said, "A child must of changed the ticket price on this item." Me & my husband said, "No a kid didn't do that," so they didn't give me the item for the price I paid for it. I said, "This is the second time this has been done to me at this store. I am very embarrassed, and now you're gonna take the item back." I said, "I am never shopping here again."

I told them that their store is too ridiculous on their prices. They wanted to charge me $19.99 for the same item I just had bought for $6.99. I said, "No I want my refund back into my account, and I am never shopping here again." I told them my pastor told us that he went into this same store and for a pair of used boots, warn a lot they wanted $79.99 for them. Twice I have had this happen to where they take the tags off and say it's not the right price, and change the price right in front of me. That is just wrong. Good Bye Goodwill, never again will you get a penny from me again. Then when you pay for the item, they always want to round up for the workshop program. I can see why they need rounding up. Because if they keep changing prices at the checkout, no one wants to go back.

I am so disappointed in Goodwill and their prices. What I enjoyed about shopping in Goodwill was searching for bargains! They have put all bargains online and prices have gotten ridiculous. I have many times seen NWT items priced LESS at the store than Goodwill is asking! They should be ashamed these items are FREE to them and "rounding up" that is greed who asks customers to pay for their help! Greed!

I can't believe the prices at Goodwill. The prices on clothing cost more than new clothes from Walmart. Additionally, they always ask if you want to "round-up" from the purchase price as yet ANOTHER donation to them. I purchased a sweater from them for $7.99. After tax came to about $8.80. I told the cashier, "yes, go ahead and round it up to $10.00." Imagine my surprise when I got home and realized she had "rounded-up" the price to $20.00. So I basically gave them an $11.00 donation on an $8.00 purchase. When I went back to the store, they refused to refund my money. Also, if you buy anything electronic, take it out of the box or packaging and make sure they plug it in for you to see if it works. I bought a handheld carpet shampooer; when I got home and opened the box it was cracked and useless, and should have been tossed by the store. It should have never ended up on a shelf.

I won 2 items for my son from Santa Ana Goodwill Auction and promptly paid for them. Usually I wait until I purchase at least a couple of items before I schedule a pickup so it saves time and gas. Well fast forward a couple of weeks and I finally bid and win some more items and schedule a pickup date and time. When I arrive for my scheduled pickup appointment I am informed that the 2 items I won for my son have been disposed of and there would not be a refund due to the fact that I didn't pickup within 30 days of winning the item. The money I paid was now considered a "donation". The women working informed me that it states in fine print that I only have 30 days to pick up the item and it's my loss. Very disappointed and upset but felt the need to warn others.

Goodwill in Kapolei Hawaii bears the name Harry and Jeanette Weinberg. Big names on Oahu HELPING the community. This Goodwill Store designates certain days during the week for discounts like senior, military, student etc. People on fixed incomes will shop accordingly. However the store is selective to which items those discounts apply! Extremely deceitful don't you think. It gets better. When you check up, the cashier is trained to ask you to round up to the nearest dollar. So they have a whole warehouse of donations, overcharge for their items, falsely advertise their discounts and still beg for more money. I have been interested in items that they mark up $2-$10 above another store tag they forgot to remove. Let me rephrase that last comment... Uneducated enough to cover their deceitful actions. I guess the name speaks for itself. Next time I will include pics.

I'm writing this reluctance & shocked letter. This letter is regarding a formal complaint against one of your Castle Rock, CO employees named Audrey a cashier. Her customer service skills are very disrespectful and I felt as if race also played a part as well. Let me say I have always like shopping in this Goodwill and have never by any other employees been treat in such a manner. Each week it's always have a color that allow the product to be sold for less as checking out. Audrey the cashier start snatching items and stated "I can't sell this for this price" and stated that she had to send these items back to pricing person.

So I ask if I could speak with a manager because I knew all these items has the pink tags some with white clear stems, some with black stems and some with pink stems but carried a pink ticket. So in asking the manager Angel "what process is used to send your merchandise back to the warehouse for pricing." "These are donations." And how she would snatch these items back not to be sold or brought by me because neither one could explain how Audrey could snatch items from me and make a decision not allowing me to purchase those items for the color of the week and making a statement that she can do that if she feels as if these items were tamper with.

I ask her "Are you accusing me?" Then got real quiet and stated "That's what you was saying." And told the young lady Audrey "Are you saying that because I'm woman of color?" She refused to clear it up. I never been treated in that manner. Such incidents make the company prone to racism profiling lawsuits. I suggest that Goodwill response quickly to this matter by letter or phone and apology.

We are a family of seven, with five growing children. So, since the children grow quickly, we often find several of their outdoor play clothing at Goodwill to help with the overall cost. The prices with Goodwill have not only continued to grow, it has gotten to a point that I would rather go across the street to Walmart to pay for a brand new shirt rather than save a dollar and have a used one with some stains.

The BIG kicker has been on three occasions the past couple months where my wife or I have found clothing with the original price tag on them. Guess what?? The price of Goodwill was more expensive than the price on the tag. (Now in transparency, two of them were sale prices - but the cost at Goodwill was still more expensive.) We even took pictures to show others... very sad!! Goodwill should be ashamed of the prices they have. Not only this but now their "better quality" is at a price I quit buying and go to Walmart! Although we can pay these prices, there are families out there that can't... Isn't that what you are supposed to do - help other families?? Disappointed in Goodwill!!!

This is something that has been going on for over a year. The manager Damien and his associates are holding merchandise for a black family that resells at the flea market. They exchange money for the favor. The family that is involved is very rude to other customers. This manager Damien has been spoken to by many customers but tails them. If you don't like it go to another store. He is very rude to customers. Any town he works on Saturday or Sunday you can smell alcohol all over him. Something needs to be done with this location.

Goodwill Store, Wooster, OH - If I could rate with NO STARS, I would! Shopping with friends last week. I have only shopped at Goodwill twice before. My one friend is an AVID shopper at thrift stores, 2 days a week, every week. We split up to different depts. I went to housewares to browse. I found ceramic measuring cups with the Hallmark logo stamped on the bottom... no price! There was an employee down the same aisle with me, stocking shelves. I politely asked if she could get me a price. She said she would need to go in back to check with her supervisor. As she was walking away, she was looking the cups over and noticed a tiny chip on the bottom of one of the cups, maybe the size of the head of a Q-tip! She showed me and mentioned it to me, as if to ask if I still wanted a price. I said it was okay.

While she was gone, I continued to browse and noticed several drinking glasses and other items with HUGE cracks and chips in them. When the employee returned, she was walking away, not looking at me, continuing to walk as she abruptly told me, "I checked with my supervisor and because there was a chip on the bottom, the cups had to be destroyed so SHE THREW THEM AWAY!"

I was in SHOCK! Speechless, which is saying a lot for me! When I told my friend, the avid thrift store shopper, what had happened, she couldn't believe it. My friend suggested I probably should have gone to checkout and asked the cashier to get me a price! We both agreed, either the employee OR the "supervisor" decided to keep those cups for themselves!!! I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't SPEAK UP and tell this employee that I'M NOT THAT STUPID, but I didn't want to cause a scene in GOODWILL over measuring cups! I was dumbfounded that she returned with such a story!!!

I have complained to Goodwill directly, describing the incident AND the employee in detail! Not that it will do any good, as I see from all the complaints, Goodwill is not an HONORABLE resale shop. Have decided not to EVER go into another Goodwill store OR to donate ONE ITEM to them, which is exactly what I expressed in my complaint to them. Sooner or LATER, everyone's "rope runs out". Hoping Goodwill's rope is SHORT!!!

We went to Goodwill in 6051 White Lane Bakersfield, CA 93309 and it was terrible experience. We tried to buy some DVD's and games. First we ask an employee how much the games were and he said $2.99 but when we went to pay it was $5.99. Different prices in different cashiers. I think many of the cashier are making their own prices on these stuff. I had a past experience also where there was a price tag for an iPad external keyboard for $5.99 and when I went to pay the cashier said this can't be the prices because this is expensive. So she change the price to $19.99 and said, "Are you going to get this?" I left disappointed.

I think some employees in Goodwill are corrupt. These are donated items from people with good heart and want to help but many employees has corrupted it. They should get fired or disciplinary action. Goodwill management should check on this. Some Goodwill even sell their donated stuff at the price like big retail stores like Wal-Mart or much more expensive.

Since I stopped working due to cancer and other medical problems I shopped at Goodwill a lot. It was only fun I had, always returned some stuff for the store credit. I bought Nike boys sneakers for 12.99 dirty but in good shape They did not fit my grandson but I cleaned them anyway and 2 days later went to the store of Hall Blvd and they called to the manager and escorted me out of store and told me it is not from this store. I did not argued and left but I hate that they treated me like a criminal. I did not steal never anything but I do look for the bargains. Next day called corporate office with my real name and info. He said will take care in 3 days and called me back. In 3-4 days went back to shop at another location and in 20 min they called police and escorted me out and told me that I am not permitted to be on their premises.

The problem that I have nothing wrong doing to admit and was treated like an criminal. I wish this people be better. I saw so much how employee take stuff on hold like a mafia but when I asked to hold for me to get more money it was not available. Bad experience. My friend had worst problems. I wish to get a lawyer with other people having problems with Goodwill to get them a lesson. I do know some people who felt offended there just because they are Russian or from Europe. The corporate office staff not pleasant at all. I wish to forget all this crappy experience.

I've been shopping and donating to Goodwill for years. Lately I started seeking out other thrift stores that I can shop at with a decent selection that won't cost me a full week's paycheck. But this is not my reason for writing this review. It was 2 years ago during one of the coldest winters here in San Diego. I was close to closing time and standing in line at the Goodwill store located on Rosecrans in San Diego. While waiting in line a homeless vet came in and asked if they could kindly donate a blanket or a jacket he could use to try and keep warm. He was a sincere, well mannered elderly man. The employee stated that he needed to ask the manager. The employee continued to check people out without calling the manager. After about 5 min standing there he asked if she could please get the manager. With a sick and disgusted look and another 2 min she finally went to the back to get the manager.

When the manager arrived to the front the man excused himself for the interruption and asked if goodwill could donate a blanket to him and that he was vet and was homeless at the time. He pulled out his credentials to show the manager but the manager refused to offer any help and asked if he could leave and that he was disturbing the customers with his presence. I was so furious that I walked out of line went and got a blanket as fast as I could, handed it the kind hearted man and said I wish I could do more.

I then turned around and threw back the items I had in my hand, tossed a 20 to the cashier and said, "That is for the blanket and it will be last thing I will ever purchase from a goodwill ever!" The manager just stood at the door and right before I walked out I told the manager that the only thing disturbing was him! These are our donations! If you can't pay it forward even in the smallest way with something so minimal when really needed Goodwill deserves to get what they give!! NOTHING.

I went to the Goodwill at 20 Cypress Point in Palm Coast Fl. I bought a stereo. It was $26.74. When I went to pay I ask the cashier that if is not working if I could return it and get my money back. She said "yes, bring your receipt and we'll refund your money." Well I went home, turn it on, the volume was not working. So I went the next day, took it back with the receipt, and the manager comes out. I explain to her that it was not working, that I want my money back. And she saids "no you're not getting your money. You could pick something else." I said "no there's nothing else I want here." So she saids "well you're not getting your money because when you buy something for 20 or more we don't return your money."

So I said "that's not right. The policy in your door saids you have 24 hours to return any electronics." So she plainly saids "well then it's your loss." I think it's not right that the manager treat people so badly and don't care and she stood with the stereo too. The reason why I'm writing these is because people like her makes Goodwill look so bad. I will never go there or let any of my friends or family member go and I will get my money back even if I have to get my lawyer involved. People need to talk and let these companies know how they're treated. It's not right. We all pay our taxes and thanks to us these people have a job.

I was shopping at Goodwill on Main St in Mesa AZ today. They made several announcements that ALL pink, purple and green tags were $1. I looked for 3 hours. I found about 30 dresses that I was going to purchase. When I brought them to the register the cashier started ringing them up. They were all ringing up at $1. A manager came over and said that I could not purchase them for $1. He said he would only offer me 50% off the tag because bridal was not included. I asked if he would let me purchase at least a few since I had shopped for so long. He refused to sell them to me at the announced price. They should have said that bridal would not be included in the discounted prices when they made the announcements. Needless to say, I didn't purchase any of them. I just bought the additional items that I wanted.

Ridiculous prices. LOL. Greedy company! People, don't let greedy Managers fool you like **! There aren't worthy things anymore; you can find much better and NEW stuff at ROSS, Macy's, etc for $0.50-5.00 every day!! We used to go to Goodwill for years and always it was fair enough for company that gets things for free and sells for donation purposes. We enjoyed to donate some money and have some fun at store. Now it's frustrating and no fun; If I want to donate I'll find the ways to do so, but not at Goodwill. Goodwill, have a conscience and know the measure of your greed! Good luck with that. Lol.

I am writing because of the inexcusable behavior of a Goodwill Employee who works the Donation Center at the Woburn MA location. My Mother recently passed away and we had bagged up clothing and other household goods to donate. All clean and items were in great condition. Upon arrival at the Center -Whole Foods parking lot-The Attendant NEVER spoke a word when I said hello or during the entire exchange. He just had the most evil hateful look on his face. This individual should not be dealing with the public.

Due to this upsetting experience I will NEVER donate a single thing to Goodwill ever again. There are other charities that are helping people in need. Goodwill should do a better and more intense hiring procedure. I cannot believe Goodwill hired this person and how Evil his demeanor was. Especially to someone is donating items to help people have a better life. I have worked with the public my entire life and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. This individual should not be dealing with the public and Goodwill should review their hiring procedures and evaluate the people working for them. I will never donate to Goodwill again and I will spread the word to seek out other charities in need.

I've been shopping at Goodwill for 30 years. The prices kept getting higher while the selection got worse. But at least once in a blue moon I'd find a deal or antique and it was a prize. Then they started marking up the special items so they cost more than new. Then I started noticing there wasn't one quality brand item in the store even though I have seen designer merchandise donated all the time. It was clear someone was getting to the good stuff before it went on the floor, and this is more than one store. But NOW they are auctioning things online, my local store is full of ten year old mass production garbage in xs size only, stained, and priced higher than retail, household items I wouldn't pay a quarter for at a flea market, and the junk red tag items from Target, broken, damaged and half off retail, is priced HIGHER than Target tried scaling it on clearance.

The MOST OUTRAGEOUS THING is they treat this garbage like rare treasure, underwear ripped out of the package and overpriced, if you dare peek under the layers of masking tape they use to repair the packaging to see if everything is still there (I've bought EMPTY boxes of red tag Target merchandise before and when I returned to complain they accused ME of trying to pull one over). They yell at you as if you damaged the original packaging or something. This happened again just this morning when I was debating on paying ten dollars for a red tag playdoh toy, it was closed up with a tiny piece of scotch tape, so I peeked inside, the employee came over screaming pulled it out of my hand and as she was rearranging the toys back in the box (they fell when she yanked it from me). It was clear a good deal of the toys were missing! So I was suppose to pay ten bucks for a useless incomplete toy???

The customer service is pathetic (so is the turnaround) and I never seen a disabled person working in this store EVER. (Rude old ladies and recovering drug addicts with bad manners are not my idea of disabled, especially when they treat me like that and want my donations and money.) So the red tag rip offs and the lack of quality merchandise and rude employees put me off, but now anything decent is online for auction, you won't see me in a goodwill again. (If I want abuse I will marry a football player!)

Everything in these complaints is true. Prices have gone through the roof in stores. All good items are now put online and good luck bidding. You can have the winning but then after online auction is over you lost??? Makes no sense, and bid increments suppose to be 1.00 or 2.00 you will see bids for .99, .09 like how is this possible. Sad, very sad.

All I can say what I've heard from a few people. I don't understand why the workers can't shop if they work there. That's ** if you ask me. I mean why I have a few friends that work there and they can't even go in to shop on their days off. You say you wanna make money so what's that about... And another thing put the store back to the same way you had it and why in hell mark prices up so high. It's not a damn mall. It's not like you went out and bought the stuff yourself. People gave it to you. I mean be for real I mean I was in there the other day a stupid crockpot 25.00. Hell I'll rather go to Walmart and pay the same price. You are gonna lose your customers if you don't lower prices. Get real.

I have been a long time shopper at Goodwill and am now completely dissatisfied with the selection and prices on all of their items. I saw an item that I wanted to but at the Crofton, MD location but the price was much higher than what it was selling for online and so I asked if they would make an adjustment based on the information I was able to provide. They said that is the price and that they can't change it and the person that makes the prices was not there so I could take it or leave it. Needless to say, I will not shop there again. I enjoyed reusing and strive to keep things from going to landfills but not at the price of retail.

This is the second time in less than three years that our local Goodwill did not honor the "Punch" Card and now the Super Saver Card. On both occasions, I accumulated over $60.00 only to abruptly be informed that they "don't honor these cards anymore." If Goodwill is going to discontinue a service at least give the consumer a chance to redeem their cards or "grandfather" those that have existing balances. This is not good customer service. I'm not only a customer but I donate throughout the year... every year. Goodwill needs to relook their practices and if they are going to cut these services, do it fairly and treat ALL their customers with dignity and respect and honor their cards. We earned it!

I have shopped at Goodwill for decades, but things have changed. They now sell the better items online. Won several auctions & in receiving the items, the items pictured were not there. Since I buy mainly jewelry and paid upwards of $100.00 each for several lots, I was upset. Called the stores from different parts of the country where I had purchased items to find out why & it took forever to find person to talk to. They explained there is no guarantee the items would be the same. Also found out that employees can bid on the auctions. Fox in charge of the hen house comes to mind. Shipping was outrageous when USPS flat rate priority shipping would have worked great. The shipping took forever.

Goodwill gets the items for free, but they are so greedy now they are sickening. They pay the employees little and the CEO gets $350.000+. I am complaining because someone needs to stop their practices or at the least advise other consumers about their practices. My purchases were a few years ago, but they have now started the online auction in my local area, so no more local shopping where I can see what I am buying and am sure to get what I buy.

The Barboursville, WV Goodwill Store seems to have a new way of running the Color of the Week program: They re-tag old merchandise which they couldn't sell for a high dollar amount on the day before their colored tags are marked down to $1. An overpriced used balance beam bathroom scale with a yellow tag had been sitting unsold for several weeks and remained unsold through last week, even though it was half of the price on the tag. As of Sunday 1/29/17, it would have sold for $1, except that the store re-tagged it with a purple tag. The new price was 50% higher than what it would have sold for last week for half of the yellow tag price.

I could not find any yellow tag items anywhere in the store, despite seeing several a couple of days ago. I assume the employees re-tagged every yellow tag item that sold for more than a few dollars. Why have a "Color of the Week" program if the organizers CHEAT on it??? You can guess what my answer will be when Goodwill asks if I'd like to round up to the next dollar on my purchase. I hope they don't expect to have anything I've bought from them donated to their store after I croak. Seems like lots of donations wind up in a dumpster, anyway. I didn't buy anything after discovering what they did.

There is no worse company than Goodwill. They are apathetic about issues that come up. They ship items broken or items break when shipped. There is no one to complain to if an issue does come up. There is no one steering the ship at the top. It is a for profit group of greedy people who take from the top and treat everyone else like garbage. Seems I am not the only one who has ever been screwed over badly by Good (hah) will. I just can't believe the government gives them 80 million in kickbacks for being a nonprofit organization... Another joke right? This company is a complete scam artist. And they have and will continue to get away with what they do... They give to their senators money, lobby congress, and congress in turn gives them buttloads of money for no real purpose...

I bought (auction listing) a 14 K Gold pendant and necklace - $301.00! To me, this was a fortune. The thing is, their camera is so good, that the necklace and pendant appeared to be huge and it turned out to be a tiny speck. The chain whose links were large and quite beautiful, is in reality, a tiny little invisible chain. What a waste of money. I am sick about it! Don't bid unless you are 100% positive. Don't go by the pictures. They deceive unsuspecting, trusting bidders.

Goodwill Store Company Profile