Goodwill Store

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've been shopping and donating to Goodwill for years. Lately I started seeking out other thrift stores that I can shop at with a decent selection that won't cost me a full week's paycheck. But this is not my reason for writing this review. It was 2 years ago during one of the coldest winters here in San Diego. I was close to closing time and standing in line at the Goodwill store located on Rosecrans in San Diego. While waiting in line a homeless vet came in and asked if they could kindly donate a blanket or a jacket he could use to try and keep warm. He was a sincere, well mannered elderly man. The employee stated that he needed to ask the manager. The employee continued to check people out without calling the manager. After about 5 min standing there he asked if she could please get the manager. With a sick and disgusted look and another 2 min she finally went to the back to get the manager.

When the manager arrived to the front the man excused himself for the interruption and asked if goodwill could donate a blanket to him and that he was vet and was homeless at the time. He pulled out his credentials to show the manager but the manager refused to offer any help and asked if he could leave and that he was disturbing the customers with his presence. I was so furious that I walked out of line went and got a blanket as fast as I could, handed it the kind hearted man and said I wish I could do more.

I then turned around and threw back the items I had in my hand, tossed a 20 to the cashier and said, "That is for the blanket and it will be last thing I will ever purchase from a goodwill ever!" The manager just stood at the door and right before I walked out I told the manager that the only thing disturbing was him! These are our donations! If you can't pay it forward even in the smallest way with something so minimal when really needed Goodwill deserves to get what they give!! NOTHING.

I went to the Goodwill at 20 Cypress Point in Palm Coast Fl. I bought a stereo. It was $26.74. When I went to pay I ask the cashier that if is not working if I could return it and get my money back. She said "yes, bring your receipt and we'll refund your money." Well I went home, turn it on, the volume was not working. So I went the next day, took it back with the receipt, and the manager comes out. I explain to her that it was not working, that I want my money back. And she saids "no you're not getting your money. You could pick something else." I said "no there's nothing else I want here." So she saids "well you're not getting your money because when you buy something for 20 or more we don't return your money."

So I said "that's not right. The policy in your door saids you have 24 hours to return any electronics." So she plainly saids "well then it's your loss." I think it's not right that the manager treat people so badly and don't care and she stood with the stereo too. The reason why I'm writing these is because people like her makes Goodwill look so bad. I will never go there or let any of my friends or family member go and I will get my money back even if I have to get my lawyer involved. People need to talk and let these companies know how they're treated. It's not right. We all pay our taxes and thanks to us these people have a job.

I was shopping at Goodwill on Main St in Mesa AZ today. They made several announcements that ALL pink, purple and green tags were $1. I looked for 3 hours. I found about 30 dresses that I was going to purchase. When I brought them to the register the cashier started ringing them up. They were all ringing up at $1. A manager came over and said that I could not purchase them for $1. He said he would only offer me 50% off the tag because bridal was not included. I asked if he would let me purchase at least a few since I had shopped for so long. He refused to sell them to me at the announced price. They should have said that bridal would not be included in the discounted prices when they made the announcements. Needless to say, I didn't purchase any of them. I just bought the additional items that I wanted.

Ridiculous prices. LOL. Greedy company! People, don't let greedy Managers fool you like **! There aren't worthy things anymore; you can find much better and NEW stuff at ROSS, Macy's, etc for $0.50-5.00 every day!! We used to go to Goodwill for years and always it was fair enough for company that gets things for free and sells for donation purposes. We enjoyed to donate some money and have some fun at store. Now it's frustrating and no fun; If I want to donate I'll find the ways to do so, but not at Goodwill. Goodwill, have a conscience and know the measure of your greed! Good luck with that. Lol.

I am writing because of the inexcusable behavior of a Goodwill Employee who works the Donation Center at the Woburn MA location. My Mother recently passed away and we had bagged up clothing and other household goods to donate. All clean and items were in great condition. Upon arrival at the Center -Whole Foods parking lot-The Attendant NEVER spoke a word when I said hello or during the entire exchange. He just had the most evil hateful look on his face. This individual should not be dealing with the public.

Due to this upsetting experience I will NEVER donate a single thing to Goodwill ever again. There are other charities that are helping people in need. Goodwill should do a better and more intense hiring procedure. I cannot believe Goodwill hired this person and how Evil his demeanor was. Especially to someone is donating items to help people have a better life. I have worked with the public my entire life and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. This individual should not be dealing with the public and Goodwill should review their hiring procedures and evaluate the people working for them. I will never donate to Goodwill again and I will spread the word to seek out other charities in need.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

I've been shopping at Goodwill for 30 years. The prices kept getting higher while the selection got worse. But at least once in a blue moon I'd find a deal or antique and it was a prize. Then they started marking up the special items so they cost more than new. Then I started noticing there wasn't one quality brand item in the store even though I have seen designer merchandise donated all the time. It was clear someone was getting to the good stuff before it went on the floor, and this is more than one store. But NOW they are auctioning things online, my local store is full of ten year old mass production garbage in xs size only, stained, and priced higher than retail, household items I wouldn't pay a quarter for at a flea market, and the junk red tag items from Target, broken, damaged and half off retail, is priced HIGHER than Target tried scaling it on clearance.

The MOST OUTRAGEOUS THING is they treat this garbage like rare treasure, underwear ripped out of the package and overpriced, if you dare peek under the layers of masking tape they use to repair the packaging to see if everything is still there (I've bought EMPTY boxes of red tag Target merchandise before and when I returned to complain they accused ME of trying to pull one over). They yell at you as if you damaged the original packaging or something. This happened again just this morning when I was debating on paying ten dollars for a red tag playdoh toy, it was closed up with a tiny piece of scotch tape, so I peeked inside, the employee came over screaming pulled it out of my hand and as she was rearranging the toys back in the box (they fell when she yanked it from me). It was clear a good deal of the toys were missing! So I was suppose to pay ten bucks for a useless incomplete toy???

The customer service is pathetic (so is the turnaround) and I never seen a disabled person working in this store EVER. (Rude old ladies and recovering drug addicts with bad manners are not my idea of disabled, especially when they treat me like that and want my donations and money.) So the red tag rip offs and the lack of quality merchandise and rude employees put me off, but now anything decent is online for auction, you won't see me in a goodwill again. (If I want abuse I will marry a football player!)

Everything in these complaints is true. Prices have gone through the roof in stores. All good items are now put online and good luck bidding. You can have the winning but then after online auction is over you lost??? Makes no sense, and bid increments suppose to be 1.00 or 2.00 you will see bids for .99, .09 like how is this possible. Sad, very sad.

All I can say what I've heard from a few people. I don't understand why the workers can't shop if they work there. That's ** if you ask me. I mean why I have a few friends that work there and they can't even go in to shop on their days off. You say you wanna make money so what's that about... And another thing put the store back to the same way you had it and why in hell mark prices up so high. It's not a damn mall. It's not like you went out and bought the stuff yourself. People gave it to you. I mean be for real I mean I was in there the other day a stupid crockpot 25.00. Hell I'll rather go to Walmart and pay the same price. You are gonna lose your customers if you don't lower prices. Get real.

I have been a long time shopper at Goodwill and am now completely dissatisfied with the selection and prices on all of their items. I saw an item that I wanted to but at the Crofton, MD location but the price was much higher than what it was selling for online and so I asked if they would make an adjustment based on the information I was able to provide. They said that is the price and that they can't change it and the person that makes the prices was not there so I could take it or leave it. Needless to say, I will not shop there again. I enjoyed reusing and strive to keep things from going to landfills but not at the price of retail.

This is the second time in less than three years that our local Goodwill did not honor the "Punch" Card and now the Super Saver Card. On both occasions, I accumulated over $60.00 only to abruptly be informed that they "don't honor these cards anymore." If Goodwill is going to discontinue a service at least give the consumer a chance to redeem their cards or "grandfather" those that have existing balances. This is not good customer service. I'm not only a customer but I donate throughout the year... every year. Goodwill needs to relook their practices and if they are going to cut these services, do it fairly and treat ALL their customers with dignity and respect and honor their cards. We earned it!

I have shopped at Goodwill for decades, but things have changed. They now sell the better items online. Won several auctions & in receiving the items, the items pictured were not there. Since I buy mainly jewelry and paid upwards of $100.00 each for several lots, I was upset. Called the stores from different parts of the country where I had purchased items to find out why & it took forever to find person to talk to. They explained there is no guarantee the items would be the same. Also found out that employees can bid on the auctions. Fox in charge of the hen house comes to mind. Shipping was outrageous when USPS flat rate priority shipping would have worked great. The shipping took forever.

Goodwill gets the items for free, but they are so greedy now they are sickening. They pay the employees little and the CEO gets $350.000+. I am complaining because someone needs to stop their practices or at the least advise other consumers about their practices. My purchases were a few years ago, but they have now started the online auction in my local area, so no more local shopping where I can see what I am buying and am sure to get what I buy.

The Barboursville, WV Goodwill Store seems to have a new way of running the Color of the Week program: They re-tag old merchandise which they couldn't sell for a high dollar amount on the day before their colored tags are marked down to $1. An overpriced used balance beam bathroom scale with a yellow tag had been sitting unsold for several weeks and remained unsold through last week, even though it was half of the price on the tag. As of Sunday 1/29/17, it would have sold for $1, except that the store re-tagged it with a purple tag. The new price was 50% higher than what it would have sold for last week for half of the yellow tag price.

I could not find any yellow tag items anywhere in the store, despite seeing several a couple of days ago. I assume the employees re-tagged every yellow tag item that sold for more than a few dollars. Why have a "Color of the Week" program if the organizers CHEAT on it??? You can guess what my answer will be when Goodwill asks if I'd like to round up to the next dollar on my purchase. I hope they don't expect to have anything I've bought from them donated to their store after I croak. Seems like lots of donations wind up in a dumpster, anyway. I didn't buy anything after discovering what they did.

There is no worse company than Goodwill. They are apathetic about issues that come up. They ship items broken or items break when shipped. There is no one to complain to if an issue does come up. There is no one steering the ship at the top. It is a for profit group of greedy people who take from the top and treat everyone else like garbage. Seems I am not the only one who has ever been screwed over badly by Good (hah) will. I just can't believe the government gives them 80 million in kickbacks for being a nonprofit organization... Another joke right? This company is a complete scam artist. And they have and will continue to get away with what they do... They give to their senators money, lobby congress, and congress in turn gives them buttloads of money for no real purpose...

I bought (auction listing) a 14 K Gold pendant and necklace - $301.00! To me, this was a fortune. The thing is, their camera is so good, that the necklace and pendant appeared to be huge and it turned out to be a tiny speck. The chain whose links were large and quite beautiful, is in reality, a tiny little invisible chain. What a waste of money. I am sick about it! Don't bid unless you are 100% positive. Don't go by the pictures. They deceive unsuspecting, trusting bidders.

Goodwill now puts most things online. The stores now buy Target items and resell them for high prices. The items online are misrepresented, you are taking a chance. Carts that used to come out during the day are no longer coming out. (so they can cut employees) Jars of junk jewelry are priced between 75-150 dollars!! What? Talk about greed. Donated items are free. Perfect business plan. Get for free and get the most you can get. Goodwill was supposed to be a place for low-income people to get clothes and necessities at a low price. Not anymore. Their greed has overtaken them. They open brand new stores and donation centers everywhere while honest businesses are going bankrupt. Goodwill is now Badwill.

Merchandise similar to dollar stores at department store prices, poor quality, no longer have Target items which were too high priced anyway. All stores have a notebook of brands that are screened for e-commerce = junk left in stores. Even clothing brands are screened out. Waste of time. Construction of stores always new, never remodeled or green. CEO salaries 1/2 million on items they get for free from you that you want those in need to benefit from, not CEOs. Disabled employees make as little as .22 (yes 22 cents) per hour. This company has some serious soul searching to do.

I'm a little checked out right now. I have been doing business with shopgoodwill.com for some time. I guess I either didn't run into this before or they just started. RESERVES! On donated stuff. It's all profit for them. Total free inventory and they are protecting profit on stuff that is being sold on their auction site. I know they are a for profit business contrary to the common misconception, but this is lame. They should auction it off to see who wins. They would make more in the long run and it's not like the FREE product stream is going to dry up. Why won't YOU CORPORATIONS LET the little guy win once in a while.

I shop at Goodwill pretty often, but due to family obligations I haven't had the time to shop on Sundays until this past Sunday. I noticed the employee pulling all the red tags. It was right at 9 just as the store was opening. I noticed her racing ahead of me in the children's clothes where I was looking to pull items before I could grab them. So I asked her why those items were being pulled and she told me it was their policy to pull the current color put them in the back and bring out new stuff and leave the outdated or undesirable items of that color on the rack so people will buy them. I can't believe that Goodwill is essentially scamming people. If what she told me is correct many items will never be half off.

The Goodwill in Frederick MD on 40/golden mile, has the oddest select of managers. For one they are not professional as they dress in jeans and casual clothes, they blend in with everyone else. I asked some questions regarding business and procedures and I get ignorant answers from managers on duty. The dock people are rude and I would not recommend this specific store to anyone, subject to: they replace the kids with real workers who have knowledge base of their job.

I recently donated a Mercedes Station Wagon to a Charity in Arizona. After Pledging this car I was advised that this donation would be administered by Goodwill, yes that Goodwill. I received a call from the 'Vehicle Specialist,' who answered my specific question of how much Goodwill would receive from this action. He stated "30%." He said the auth had to be toward, although I could have driven it in. Three weeks later I received an IRS Statement that showed this total donation at $500. I expressed my utter displeasure in confirming that my charity of choice would get $255! For a Mercedes in good shape. In a follow up he advised that Goodwill, above their #0%, charged an $45 Administration Fee, and $85 Towing Charge. The Charity of my choice said they 'look into this,' and Goodwill, had their Head of Operations forward documentation showing the above.

Frankly, I believe that there may be 'skimming,' call it would you will involved. Are there 'Referral Fees'? The truly sad part is that organizations like Goodwill, Red Cross, United Fund, et al are really conduits where a fraction of your contribution goes to a Cause, and many on their Staffs are paid outsized salaries, prerequisites, handsome expense accounts, etc. Lesson learned... next time I will sell my vehicle, or other material good, and give the cash to the charity, and will NEVER give to the well known, but often dicey charities.

I arrived at my local Goodwill to donate and drop off two items. When I arrived, the employee that accepts the donations yelled ** and yanked my two items out of my arms and said "is that it?" I said "yes," although I have additional items in great condition that I wanted to bring and donate. However, I am now reluctant to ever donate to the "Goodwill".

The store manager named "Jennifer" is very combative. She becomes enraged if you inquire as to the long wait to check-out. On Monday Nov. 21, 2016 I waited 22 minutes and inquired as to Jennifer the reason why she had no cashiers at the front. Jennifer became combative, unprofessional, and refused to provide me the name of her cashier who was smirking - the cashier joined-in on Jennifer's combative behavior. Jennifer is not professional in any sense of the word and seems inept at her ability to cater to patrons.

I just used Goodwill online once and honestly the shipping is just whack and outrageous on some items and on top of that the nerve they got to charge a handling fee as well. I was lucky to win a bid on a Super Nintendo game cartridge which weighs about 6 oz. A reasonable USPS priority mail shipping is about $4 and at most could of gone with a flat rate small box for $6.80. But somehow shipping was $9.12 priority mail not even overnight and on top of that $4 handling fee.

The Goodwill people are just greedy thieves robbing people blind with the shipping taking their $1-$3 cut from shipping going into their pockets like if they do not have their goldmine already with handling fees which they have in all items, in my case was $4. Like come on the USPS gives free boxes, tape and wrap. Any company should have that. Just do the math. For mostly all items on that site there's a handling fee of $2-$5 or even more. Just pocketing that money and all coming from donated things they get free like if it was not enough. Just with the stores it hit them they can go online and rip off people, overcharge shipping and rob them blind with handling fees. That is where their goldmine is at if you tell me.

I have been shopping at Goodwill for a long time. I frequent two shops. One the prices are always fair, product moves quickly, variety is great. The other in Greenville, Ohio, the prices have been steadily going up. In one case I bought a table cloth with two tags, one for $9.99 the other for $12.99. I thought it strange one employee would deem the value at 30% higher. Very frustrating. It is a second-hand store. Period.

I am a 68 year old senior who is unable to shop the local stores due to health issues. I recently tried to sign up to shop online and was suspended before I had the chance to win anything due to my daughter creating multiple accounts w/o paying. No fault of my own I am banned. Not sure how one can conduct business like this to support the disabled. I am disabled and this is how I am treated. These people are frauds. Do not waste your money.

I have shopped conservatively at Goodwill Stores for some time now... But in the last 6 months or more I see tons of "dirty" and/or "broken" JUNK in the stores anymore. Is what I see consistently being dropped off by donors just going now to Goodwill's on-line auctions with gouging prices and outrageous shipping fees??? As a retired person on a limited income I had hopes of some sense of survival in these thrift stores to repair and/or replace things I could not otherwise afford. Not to mention, if I do find something decent I could use, it is priced above what I would pay at a retail store NEW. I expanded my search of the Goodwill stores to within a 50-60 mile radius recently and find it mostly the same everywhere. Not to mention wasting time and gas! I am finding out now I am better off going to estate and yard sales!!!

Twice now they have given false information about an item. When I got the item I realized that it was worthless to me. They expect you to pay return shipping even if it's their mistake, and the shipping is usually more than the item so, it's a big gamble. These orders happened to be the type and size of plates and cups I ordered. A lot of their employees seem very uneducated. They can't use a tape measure and don't know the difference between a plate and a saucer. It's fun to browse, but be prepared to possibly be disappointed.

Yes, Goodwill's CEO makes a disgusting large salary. Since the Salvation Army is a religion, their CEO makes what? 12K? I shop on Goodwill Auction because they have an easy to navigate website, and a fairly simple buying procedure. They also have lots of interesting stuff. If I see an item in which I am interested, the first thing I do is to check the shipping charge. Sometimes the shipping costs as much as the item. But this site is a lot like eBay: There's always tomorrow and an identical or similar item. If the item is something you want, maybe it's worth the cost plus shipping charges. The people who fulfill the orders are paid by Goodwill. They have a job. Will I pay extra if I know it's worthwhile? You bet. The carrier, not Goodwill determines the cost of shipping. All of the bargains I have purchased are items about which the average person has no idea of their worth.

If I see something I know is much more valuable than the bidding amount (and I'm not interested) I email that Goodwill location and offer my opinion. For example, My three-year-old grandson is crazy for Hot Wheels. Goodwill sells them in bulk for appalling low amounts. After checking eBay and some other sites I learned Hot Wheels collectors are adult males, some Hot Wheels cars are more collectible than others. Two or three hundred dollars for an old toy car not in great shape? Peanuts. When I learned that Hot Wheels with a red band around the tires -- aka redlines -- are worth some serious jack, I contacted Goodwill Auctions. Instead of a few dollars for a bucket full of cars which may or may not include redlines they now sell individual cars for $50, $100, or more.

So here's the deal: Goodwill Auction does help people, and by sharing your expertise and funds it can help even more. Their CEO earns way too much money. That's a great big minus. I donate my stuff to the Salvation Army: They help those who have fallen through the cracks of the social network. I like to think that my time and expertise have a value to both.

Goodwill Millville NJ - Used to love going to my local Goodwill Store. Me and my husband couldn't get enough of it. Lately noticed prices are ridiculously high. This is supposed to be a second-hand store that everything is handed to them. Seems nothing good reaches the shelves anymore, everything is going up for bid online. Everything is priced at the low-end that eBay sells. Sad. Everything is overpriced, not somewhere's a like to shop anymore. Sad. Used to be a great shop for deals. They are higher than retail stores now. It's a second-hand store, not new retail.

I was high bidder for a framed in glass butterfly collection. When it arrived it sat almost two days before I opened it. (I had been sick) after opening it I saw that it was as described and sat it back in the box. Next morning, I awoke to these red welts on my legs and arms. I didn't know what to think of it. Following morning I was covered in these welts everywhere. I got worried and went to the doctor. First thing he said when he saw me, "Bedbug Bites." He asked me a bunch of questions, and then I remembered the box from Goodwill.

Sure enough, when I got back home and looked deeper into the box, there were bugs in it! They had been sitting in my house for 4 days, who knows how many escaped in that time. I bagged up as many as I could in a ziplock bag. I then contacted the seller store that sent the item and they gave me a full refund. $9.00 for item $10.00 shipping, I didn't ask for a refund and I don't see any mention of bedbugs on their disclaimer. Goodwill sent two emails with the same random message telling me I would be refunded. Not knowing what I was up against I started gathering information about bedbugs, and became increasingly more angry at Goodwill. I have spent over $650.00 so far to eradicate these bugs and it's not over yet. I think Goodwill has some responsibility to its unsuspecting customers when shipping their merchandise.

I thought bedbugs only were in bedding or clothing. Not true. I have washed and dried everything in my house that I could get into the washer. To date, over 60 loads of laundry, etc. And it's only been three weeks. I emailed a complaint letter and no one has replied. I can't believe this is happening and I would never want this to happen to anyone else. There ought to be a law! I've shopped thrift stores for 25 plus years and have never had any kind of issue with bugs. This has been a nightmare that I will not get over anytime soon. Just giving others a heads up. It happened to me, don't let it happen to you.

Goodwill Store Company Profile