2.98/5

659 Goodwill Store Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

I scheduled a pickup at my deceased brother's house. Unfortunately the power was off (unknown to me) and they refused to take anything except a filing cabinet. They said they couldn't see the items so therefore they couldn't take them. Seriously!! We had all of the blinds up and I could see the condition of everything. Mind you, this wasn't junk, new clothes with tags on them, computer desk, etc. I discarded items that weren't any good. I will NEVER donate or buy from Goodwill.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Haven’t been to Goodwill for the past six months and decided to stop by. Kids needed some shoes. The last time I purchased shoes there, they were $5-$8. Now they are at $12-$15. Forget that, I went to Payless and took advantage of their store closing deals up to 60% off within budget.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Looks like garage sales might be all that's left for people with low or fixed income. For several years the only way to catch a deal at Goodwill was to shop strictly for the 50% discount colored tags. Now they're gone and so am I.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Prices are entirely too high. When I can buy the product new just for a couple of dollars more, or less, then your prices are too high. I am fortunate enough that I can buy new, but I witnessed several families there that are lower-income and unfortunately your prices are too high. Lower your prices you greedy humans. Stop trying to make a buck on the poor, you get your junk for free for goodness' sakes. Where's the humanity?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Goodwill has a policy that their employees can't shop at their own store so customers can get a chance to find a unique item and have a chance to get first chance to buy the items. So why is Goodwill now going through all the good items and selling them online? This is not fair to the customers and not fair to the people donating who think their items are going to help people in their own communities when in reality the items are being sold online and going to other states and or countries. All this is, is greed so they can put more money in their pocket instead of helping their employees and their communities like they were originally suppose to do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: March 23, 2019

My family and I used to shop at all the nearby Goodwill stores in the area quite often, however as of recent we visit Goodwill specifically, less and less due to their price jacking. Yesterday was the last straw. We observed a simple sundress marked at $100 and countless Target and Dollar Tree Branded items overpriced. A junk, Greenbrier Intl. cat toy marked for 2.99! You will not only often find countless quantities of these type of ripoffs, but also find that nearly all Goodwill stores no longer carry jewelry. Occasionally there are maybe two or three pieces of Target donations or costume pieces LOCKED in a case. All other jewelry is now being hawked on their online auction site for large profits. My mom once found a Halloween decoration priced for $100.

My mom called about this particular item and was told that they chose their pricing at $100 because they saw a similar item listed on Ebay for $200. Why would Goodwill (a charity thrift store) think that basing an overly enthusiastic eBay listing as a price model was appropriate? You will often find entire sets of items pieced and priced separately, dishes, electronics, accessories etc. Broken glassware being sold, delicate glassware being placed right-side-down on metal grated shelves, ripped paper, craft and party supplies being sold, half used toiletries, furniture being priced outrageously and countless other abominations. You can always count on Goodwill taking their Target store donations and pricing them for higher than Target's clearance prices! I hope Target takes note of this and donates elsewhere from now on.

I'm disgusted by the greedy ethics of Goodwill Industries. They receive their donations for free and try to turn them for the biggest possible profits with absolutely no care about charity whatsoever. Goodwill needs to be investigated. If they do not address and adjust their price ethics, then they need to be shut down. Everyone should boycott them until we see change.

Original review: March 11, 2019

For the past 8-9 months I've been going to the local Goodwill at night to feed stray cats. These people see and know I sit next door and do this without any problems. My presence has even kept their property from being vandalized as it used to in the past. Tonight I was handcuffed and detained by police! I was being accused of stealing truck batteries! The jack** manager claimed to have me on camera stealing them, but he only had me doing my normal nightly thing!

Had this reject actually been a man and confronted me, I would have told him exactly who steals, what employees return with box trucks and who was messing with their trucks! To all that donate, they say don't throw it out donate it, the reality is they destroy throw away so many donations that it's mind boggling! To those that buy, unless you're an insider, or know someone, you're wasting your time! You're not allowed to test electronics, and if you need to return you're only getting a credit. They keep your money and basically shrug off the fact they sell you junk.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I've just recently become homeless, sleeping outside. I went to Goodwill looking for a sleeping bag. They had one for seven dollars. I only had five dollars to my name. Went to the manager and asked for some goodwill and said I would come back with the two dollars in a few days. It’s been very cold at night and I have no blanket. She said there was no way she could help me. That's good will alright. I will never recommend or shop there again. Good riddance Goodwill.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am an older lady. I went to a Goodwill Store near me on North Main St In North Canton, Ohio 44720 at about 3:00 pm on Tuesday February 26, 2019. The man who came out to "retrieve" my donations brought out a cart and waited there beside it waiting for me to lift the heavy items out of my car and put them in the cart myself. Not once did he offer to help. He acted like he was just there to protect the cart and not to help at all! Another lady pulled up beside me and he did not help her either. We both had to ask for a donation receipt as he hurried back into the store. Never again will I take any of my donations to A Goodwill Store again. I will go to the Salvation Army Store where they help you and appreciate the fact that but for your donations they would not have a JOB!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Goodwill has gotten very expensive. They base their prices on ebay trends, which isn't going too well. The same items are as always there. 60.00 for a old scratched up non brand receiver. Pyrex for 40.00. I change the prices and I don't feel bad about it. I would be more upset paying the advertised price. You should all do the same if you plan to shop there.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Government (IRS), Attorney General's office and Consumer Affairs all need to thoroughly investigate and expose the escalating GREED of Goodwill Industries. Investigate the tax records, the grants, the salaries of employees, "programs" they falsely advertise, their ridiculous right to charge SALES TAX on ITEMS THEY RECEIVE FOR FREE, the Ebay auctions, the insidious disposal of items in our landfills, the violations they constantly get away with by selling food, make-up, used medical supplies, etc. INVESTIGATE the entire entity and how it is the most giant slap in the face to its founder and its original purpose.

This "charity" needs to be shut down--millions of dollars are funneled into management's pockets as they hide behind their tax status as a charitable organization, helps communities, etc., etc., it is a disgrace that they patronize ADA, U.S. Veterans, etc., etc. They are running their stores like retail stores and infringing on customer's privacy and rights. Please get on this now, many, many people have caught on to what goes on inside and outside this organization and it needs to be stopped. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I would like to add to the many many people that are disgusted with the pricing structure at Goodwill Stores. For years I have tried to save money by shopping at Goodwill. The prices have steadily gone up and clothes are somewhat organized by color. For what they charge they could afford to put them in some kind of size order who has all day to find jeans? Mostly the prices are outrageous for a thrift store which is most likely in response to the people that survive treasure hunting and reselling. I thought that was the point was to put people to work! Lots of people have little to no income for medicines and food for different reasons. This treasure hunting keeps them off welfare or worse from not getting meds they need.

GOODWILL I have seen what you throw out or send to recycle for pennies a pallet. There are so many other places like Savers or Park Avenue that truly just want to move their stuff and get money for their cause. Park Avenue puts whole store at .50 one day a week! Really need to figure out if you are a non profit or for profit seems like the latter. You have lost so many customers get a grip. Read these reviews. Success can go away with 600 complaints on one single site and most the same complaint.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

In the past two weeks I have found several items that cost more at Goodwill and they do brand new. The most recent was a modern large cast-iron pan price to 2999. This item new target is 1999. Donate to the Salvation Army. They have started to change their pricing and put new labels on items.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Every time I go to this Goodwill Store in Mt Pleasant on Ben Sawyer Blvd there is at least an item not priced and when you ask them to get you a price they have to send it back. I have seen people curse them out, walk out and say they lost a sale. I thought the point was to sell the stuff. This store is really junky and if you don't want to sell your stuff or get it more organized, just close the store and put something else there. Our other stores throughout the area are more together than this one, and employees are more friendly and helpful. Clean it up, get better employees, price every item or just close.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Just went to the Oklahoma City Goodwill store to purchase something warm to wear. Picked up a sweatshirt and the woman at the register said it was $7.99! Walmart has brand new sweatshirts for $5. Also their leggings were $4.99. Walmart again has brand new ones for $3.78 regular price. I asked the employees there why the prices continue to rise. They said they had opened up new stores and now were looking to compete with Ross stores. Makes no sense for used item donated for free. I encourage everyone to donate to the Salvation Army. Their prices are much lower, at $3.99 for shirts & most pants.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Goodwill of Arkansas is an excellent place to shop. I love that the employees are always happy and helpful. The stuff for sale is very neat and organized. The bathrooms are clean as well. I also like the fact that leaving donations is very easy.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

At my store in Georgia, on Sunday a different colored tag of the week means 50% off items with that color of a tag. Problem is I go in Monday mornings and you find very little of anything with the color of the week. I asked the sales clerk why I couldnt find any of that color and she said they pull a lot of clothes and put them in the back 'cause they have new stuff coming in. Sounds to me like they want you to pay full price instead of 50% off.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My father cannot afford new furniture. He's 88 years old and on a fixed income. We cannot afford to buy him new furniture and so off to Goodwill I went. There wasn't a couch there under 399.00. I also noticed that they came into luck of a Widdocomb bench, of which they were selling for 999.00. This is ridiculous. If you're going to put something like in one of your stores, I suggest you put it on a showcase of some sort and in a neighborhood where those more fortunate CAN PURCHASE to help the cause. Otherwise I have no other choice but to think you put such a high price on it so that people WOULDN'T BE ABLE to purchase, perhaps saving it for someone who works there. Goodwill's prices are not second hand prices. Your beat up floral dept. is more expensive than Michael's Craft stores inventory - how dare you. Needless to say - no couch for Dad.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

In a nutshell, I'm a US vet, suffering from PTSD. Aubrey you went the extra mile, and have the magic touch for customers and keeping them happy. You were my best memory in a while... Thanks for making me feel special.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Goodwill Outlet is where clothes are sent that don't sell in the Goodwill stores. Triple time rejects are sold there. In the San Bernardino Outlet today the security guards chased down a couple and made a huge deal of them stealing a jacket and backpack. What kind of Goodwill is that? The couple looked homeless and poor. Security grabbed the items and were pretty mean and rough about it. Come on, Goodwill, you can afford to give away third time rejected clothes to the poor. That was such a sad scene to watch. I gave three stars because I did have fun rummaging through the bins. The jacket and backpack would have cost about a dollar together. I wish I'd been paying more attention to the ruckus, I'd gladly given the couple a $20 and let them get some things they need.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have a friend who works at store 044 and she has been very ill the past few days and she has no insurance because she is tight with money. She can’t afford to get meds or a check up so she’s trying to get better on her own. She was written up for missing one day for calling out. She has also been employed almost 3 years and has worked so hard towards promotion. She’s gotten all her training and certificates done and still nothing. They don’t recognize her hard work and have no sympathy towards her illness. They mistreat all staff horribly and it’s needs to be fixed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought the Keurig at the 77532 store and was very disappointed. I am a senior citizen and don't have extra money. The coffee pot had several parts missing and was not useable. It would be nice if info about missing parts be noted so you could make the decision if you wanted to buy it anyway. Electronics is as is and cannot be returned, at note some part are missing. This article could not be looked at inside as it was taped down. The parts missing was obvious if you knew anything about the coffee pot. Try to be a little more helpful to your customers so they can make an informed decision. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have shopped, and donated to Goodwill for years. I, too have noticed, especially recently, that prices are rising even more. Every time I would go in, I would hear at least one person say "Almost all this stuff is donated". When being upset over the prices on everything. What finally did it for me, was the last time I went, I bought a shirt that had tags on it from a JCPenny store for $6.99. Goodwill sold it for $8. I brought it to the cashiers' attention, and she called up a manager. Of course, to no surprise, the manager says "we have no control over that". Wow, load of bs there.

Also, I don't notice a lot of things till I get home and really look at the clothes. They sell clothes that are basically unusable. From broken zippers, holes, and etc. I also noticed they charge a lot more for designs/style than just brand. This is why I quit shopping at Goodwill, and go to other stores like Gabes, or Roses, where things are a whole lot better priced, and brand new. Now, I donate things to shelters, where I know people are not getting ripped off.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Just to get this out of the way, I sell on eBay. I am the guy who goes to Goodwill and buys the things that nobody else will buy so that I can offer them for sale on a larger worldwide platform where people are looking for these specific things. These are generally items that no local customer just visiting Goodwill would ever purchase, often they are obscure and very specific items that no customer is going to just happen to need. In other words, 1 in a million people might be interested in purchasing these things, and the odds of Goodwill being able to sell them are minuscule at best unless it's to someone like me who intends to sell it on eBay.

The Albany location used to be reasonable with their pricing up until about 6 months ago or so, and ever since then it has been a train wreck. Somehow, they have gotten the idea that their small potatoes local store can compete with a global platform like eBay and command the same or higher prices. Just to put this into context, Goodwill has a small trickle of people who wonder in and look for nothing other than what catches their eye, eBay has millions of buyers seeking out very specific things. What the Albany Goodwill store is doing is raising their prices to the point of being laughable and unreasonable by even eBay standards.

Allow me to walk you through a typical visit these days: I enter the store and decide to take a look in the front display case and 9/10 times it's the same stale merchandise week after week, 75% of it being product they got from Target that even Target couldn't sell on clearance...and it's priced higher than the retail price that target had on it before it even went on clearance. The other 25% is things like solar calculators that retail for under $10 brand new, and they have the case loaded up with them for upwards of $15 used since they can't grasp the fact that because some calculators are worth that, it does not mean they are ALL worth that. Add that same logic to pretty much anything and everything they sell, and you start to get the picture.

After looking at the display case, I head over to the electronics section and I am greeted with old obsolete computer speakers that look like they came with an old computer from 1999, not even in good condition, they are yellowed with age, scuffed up and nothing special whatsoever. What is the price? $15... okay, that's a weird price, but whatever, let's move on and see what else there is for sale.

I get to the house phones, routers, and power cords, it's the same story. Junky expansion handsets that shouldn't be more than a couple dollars are instead seemingly randomly priced from $5 to $20 depending on the day and time. No rhyme or reason, just random prices that make no sense. Again, weird, but whatever, onto the cords to see if there is anything worth buying, and apparently any and all laptop chargers regardless of knowing if they actually work, or what they go to… are all made out of gold and priced as such at a minimum of $5 each, but mostly $8 - $15. Never mind the fact that the odds of someone being there looking for that exact charger are slim to none, and that 95% of the cords there never even sell.

Guess it’s time to check out the sporting and hardware section. Surely, they have gotten the message that all the old baseball gloves I used to buy before they jacked the prices up are probably not going to sell for $8 each since I’ve made it a point to not buy them for the last 2 months. Surely the fact that they have been piling up on the shelves unsold until they are taking up so much room that they are pulled is a clear enough indication that they priced them too high…

Nope. Goodwill has doubled down and upped the prices to $15 and $25 instead on gloves that don’t even sell for half of that in better condition on eBay. Effectively all they have done is lost the sale on the things I would have bought and ensured that I will just wait it out and go to the Goodwill Outlet in Salem to buy them for 30 cents each when they do not sell in the Albany store. It’s the same story throughout the entire store. Do they miss things occasionally? Yes, I still find things here and there that they did not drop the ball on, however that is only because they screwed up.

They used to get sometimes $100+ a day from me, and 90% of the time it was for things that would have sat unsold for a month before being sent to the outlet to sell for pennies on the dollar. Now they are fortunate if I spend $20 a week in their store because of how poorly ran it is. As someone who used to be on the inside there, employee production goals have ruined it for customers. Every person who’s job it is to price donations has a set dollar value they must price each day, week, and month. When you have trouble making those goals, you face missing out on raises, being demoted, getting negative marks on your reviews, and even your very job.

These production goals are NOT sales goals, they exist only to measure up the employees and the sales are a secondary thought. It’s about looking good on paper, and that translates into customers being asked for obscene prices in order to make it look like the management is doing better than they are. The whole reason you see such laughable prices is because employees are expected to meet obscene production numbers regardless of the product’s value. Often when I worked for them, I would find myself with $500 worth of donations, yet a $1000+ production goal that I could not meet unless I fudged the numbers or overpriced things that I knew were not worth what I was pricing. Obviously, the choice is clear on what to do if you wish to keep your job.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Goodwill in Central Virginia Lynchburg region changes their policy all the time when it comes to pricing. Because of this there are constant problems with employees not knowing the policy. They make me feel like a criminal sometimes when I am at the checkout counter and something does not have the correct price as the employees say. It happens constantly at the Lynchburg Old Forest store with one employee named Michelle actually singling me out every time I shop there. I have complained to the manager about this and still it happens all the time. The central Virginia area needs a new regional manager so customers can see some change for the better. Items are over-priced for poor people like me and I thought this company would help people like me! They do quite the opposite. Don’t shop at Goodwill. They help only their own interest! Please donate to places that actually help the community. Please!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I arranged a pick up of over $10,000 brand new electronic items from closing my online stores. The main Guy that came out of Charleston had a negative attitude right off. Complained and huffed the entire time. It tore my nerves up as well as my mother and father who were thankfully helping to get this taken care of quickly. It amazes me you try to do good by donating and they give you a nasty attitude the whole time. I will never give money or items to Goodwill after this horrific experience!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Ok honestly GW, time to lower your prices back to thrift store range. It's getting a little out of hand. Stay in your lane. Oh, and hire people who have a harder time finding work. I thought that was your mission statement yet I rarely see it happen anymore. So why the laughably expensive free inventory? I could go to Forever 21 and spend the same or a bit more for decent, unworn clothing now. What happened? I finally had to post somewhere after stumbling on a forum that assured me I'm far from alone in thinking this.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I'm a frequent customer of the Goodwill in Capitola, CA. I usually go in every other week and spend at the very least 100$. I've never had a real problem before today. Despite The store being rather disorganized and a lot of stuff isn't priced. They employ a variety of shady looking people who are for the most part friendly if not particularly helpful. I spent almost two hours sifting through the mess that the store was in and was quite pleased with some of the stuff I found. When I went up to the front I had a number of things with no tags but most were priced. The cashier rang everything up and got prices for the unmarked items that seemed fair. However just as I was about to complete the transaction a supervisor came over and said something was mispriced. She then began to go through my cart and said that a number of items had multiple stickers.

I asked to see what she was talking about and she showed me that there was a $2.99 sticker under a $1.99 sticker on an item. I thought okay so maybe the price got lowered because the item had been there awhile. However she said that out of the 30+ items I was purchasing several had multiple stickers. Considering the amount of things with no stickers and all the random stickers stuck to the shelf's throughout the store I wasn't overly shocked. The discrepancies were very minor and frankly when I'm buying $120 worth of stuff a few dollars either way is very inconsequential to me. It's ridiculous to think I'd go through the risk and trouble of changing a bunch of stuff around for a 5% discount. I think the supervisor didn't approve of the way I look and dress and so treated me quite unfairly. I was tempted to make a scene about it but chose to just walk away. I won't be donating nor shopping at Goodwill again and will certainly be sharing my experience.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was shopping at the north Lamar location in Austin Texas. Their men’s shoes are quite overpriced, so I usually just check the women’s racks, as they’re more reasonably priced, usually around $7.99-9.99. Came across a pair Nike basketball shoes, checked the size, and thought “these will fit my buddy who loves sneakers”; price was $7.99! Went to pay (also purchasing 4-5 other shoes that day), and the cashier sees them, and it’s immediately clear she recognizes the shoes as “LeBron's” and states they’re underpriced. I said I too was surprised they were priced at $7.99, but they didn’t have laces, were kinda dirty and with the women’s shoes. Not my problem, I didn’t price them, and I assumed Goodwill would honor the sticker prices on both shoes.

She then calls for a price check, stating she bought a similar pair for $24.99 earlier that day at this location for her son (great, you still got a decent deal, also not my problem). Price checker guy says “Okay, they’re priced at $7.99. What do you want me to do?" Cashier, who clearly wants the shoes says, “make them $24.99”. Guy is like, "Why?" And I say, "I think that’s too high." He and I agree on $19.99, mostly to appease this woman.

At this point I just want to leave, as I now feel like some thief at a Goodwill... It’s a bad business practice to price items (even if it’s an employee mistake) and have someone at the register up the price to almost 3 times the original sticker price. I spend a lot of money at Goodwill (last two trips spent around $187 and $90). As a regular customer it’s pretty terrible to be made to feel like a thief. I also donate a ton of clothing, shoes and housewares to charity every month. I’ll be donating and spending my money at other thrift stores that actually treat their customers with respect in the future.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My Nephew just got back from the Goodwill in Kent Wash. And told me that they did not accept the Good condition American flag with pole I just sent them, as it was too Political to be accepted by their store. If they can not accept an American flag here in American I see no reason to send them anything else or my customers. As I'm in the antique business and I do have lots of Senior citizens that I help downsize.

Goodwill Store Company Information