2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.51/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Goodwill Store Reviews

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Goodwill disgusts me anymore. I used to donate items regularly until I found out how useless and greedy this organization really is. Between markups close to 300% of the original cost of some items, underpaying the employees so they can line their own pockets, and selling defective items which are purported to work and cannot be returned when proven to be defective, it's a shady business practice that only endures because of the facade of being a charitable organization. The only people they're helping are themselves. When I struggle to afford their offerings due to my low income, it's a problem.

Some of the clothes they sell have foul odors and stains and belong in the dumpster, not on the rack. Pants are one of the worst examples of overpriced items. I can get new pants from Ross or other similar retailers for less than they charge for items they were given. Some of the clothes have clearance tags from Walmart, and the store is charging more than the item was new on Walmart clearance; as if Walmart was some prestigious clothing brand worth a lot of money. It was discounted at Walmart for a reason!

Bottom line: this organization is greedy and unworthy of your donations! Donate to a thrift store that actually helps people! Goodwill is helping NOBODY by pocketing most of the profits, not paying employees fair wages and making their prices so high that the people who can't afford better can't even afford the secondhand items at Goodwill stores.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I went to Goodwill further down from where I lived at, and I love to sew, collect sewing patterns, typewriters and any vintage stuff at Goodwill. About weekend ago I came across a sewing machine that worked but the outside looked pretty dingy and dirty with a little bit of plastic warping in some areas. The price they wanted was $65.00 which is pretty high for something that's about 30 years old. I've 3 sewing machines in my life and I've always wanted an older one because how long they can last and I've seen how durable they can be. So, I went up to the cashier and asked "Excuse me, is their any way we can negotiate on the price since it not worth 65 dollars in my opinion because of now damaged it looks". So she then says "Well since it's a Singer and Singers are good sewing machines, the best I can do 50".

I'm like, "Well that still high for something that 30 years or older and I understand that some sewing machines can hold value but from my experience they were never worth hardly any because that's not something everyone today wants and it depends on the model. Also the condition is not very good. However, if it was than I most likely being willing to pay it since it seems to be a special model."

So she sees the manager and asks him to come over. So, I ask him "Is there any way you guys can go lower? I mean you guys are getting these used and sewing machines down here and I always see get thrown out because no one down here wants because you continue to price them high." He tells me "Well, sewing machines are worth a lot and I can't see any lower than 50. These are on Ebay for about 70 or more dollars because it's a special model. Plus it's getting sold on our auction website as well".

So being a bit frustrated I said "Look I understand that you think its has value and is worth something but it's completely damaged on the outside and you still want me to pay 50 dollars because it's worth value to you and base your opinion on Ebay which it's not always a reliable website. And those models on there are in actually good condition I'm sure but this is not. I've been sewing since I was 14 and there's lots of sewing machines people say is worth something but they are not on the internet which Ebay tends to do this a lot but when you actually look into and do extensive research it's not worth hardly any at all. And I figured since you're charitable you would sell things in here at a reasonable price but instead I see these sewing machines being way overpriced for something that's old and doesnt even look like they even run".

So he's like "Well I'm sorry and that's all I can do." And proceeds to walk away from me. So I ended up putting the sewing machine back and being frustrated in a store that says it's supposed to help the needy and community but always overprices their goods. Last time it was this bad is when I found a typewriter that was $25 and had problems and they refused to go lower even though it there was clearly something wrong with it but it could be fixed. Like aren't you guys trying to get rid of stuff that's given to you at affordable prices? I honestly think it's funny you guys get used items only to sell them for DOUBLE the amount it's worth.

I've NEVER EVER had ANY problems with Goodwill in years until I noticed their items go up in price on the last year or so. Since then I've Refused to go back to a Goodwill for anything which makes me sad because I believe in giving items a second chance. Now I have to go somewhere else to find a sewing machine that actually looks like its hasn't been dropped for a decent price. For anyone who's looking for old sewing machines at a decent price here, I would go elsewhere because they dont even look into the model fully and say well it's worthwhile. It obviously looks damaged and doesnt run. Also I went on their auction website and wanted DOUBLE the amount for it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

It's sad how the Goodwill's prices are sky high. The majority is donated and yet the organization has gotten greedy. I will not shop there anymore or donate to this store. Greed will get you nowhere. Very Sad.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

A mistake was made by their employees. The smart ** manager compounded the problem. Was no help whatsoever. I wonder why they call the store Goodwill when I received anything but. They treat their customers poorly. I'm surprised they don't sell shoes and socks separately to make a buck because their current trend is a rip-off.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Tried to purchase a shirt off the rack. Priced at 4 dollars. It had a bad case of ring around the collar as all the white shirts there had. I didn't mind so much as it was a shirt for my daughter to wear on stage for a performance. When I went to check out I mentioned it and asked if I could get a small discount. The clerk asked the manager and then he came out and refused to sell me the shirt. Said they would not sell it and would throw it away but I could not have or buy it. This just seems to me everything against what I thought Goodwill stood for. I will never again donate or buy from goodwill ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I was a true advocate for Goodwill in the beginning. However now after talking to their employees and their troubles with working there along with the ridiculous price increase on used Walmart and other inexpensive lines. I feel like they are doing the less fortunate an injustice by increasing their prices for items they are clearly used, stained, torn. I know they are thrifters however this is no longer a place to thrift at. Goodwill needs to get back to their roots and adjust the ridiculous pricing they have adopted in their store. Pure greed has kicked in.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I will start this out by saying I love Goodwill and shop there regularly. However the last purchase I made became more of an issue for me than I would have ever thought. I recently purchased a brown love seat for a friend in need. After measuring it sadly it wouldn't fit into their home. I come back to ask for some kind of refund or store credit seeing how the love seat had never left the goodwill store and I was abruptly meet with a rude, angry little lady telling me there was nothing she could do for me. So me being 6 months pregnant, driving a hatchback car had absolutely no way or room to take the couch they had threatened taking back from me with no refund. Either take it or leave with no money or store credit! So I asked to speak with someone above her. She said I was wasting her time and her manager would tell me the same thing that I had just lost my money. She calls her superior and that person tells her to give me store credit for my purchase!

Then the woman I was dealing with hangs up and tells me I have to spend that money that day. The store was to close in less than an hour! So after I try to look around I couldn't seem to find anything I wanted. I tried to explain to the same woman that I felt rushed and didn't like anything that day she tried to tell me again that if I didn't purchase something worth the value of the love seat right then that I would lose my money! This is twice in the same hour that this woman has tried to just take my money with no compensation. Of course no one would let that happen! I ask her to call her manager again and she quickly resolves it.

This lady the entire time was rudely talking over me, trying to bully me into taking my money, mean while smiling politely at the other customers. I don't know if maybe she just didn't like me a as a person but I hope she doesn't treat anyone else like that. I really feel for her employees. This was the worst rudest interactions I have EVER had in any store.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Browsing as always at Goodwill (Winnetka/ Roscoe). Found stuff I could use. A store manager (?) is arranging shelf stock. I say manager because she's well dresses, not the uniform blue on black. I observe her pick up a collectible, look at the price and muttering to herself, relocates the item and walks away. I go to check it out, go online, and decide I have to get it. At check-out, clerk says he needs to ask about price sticker, that it may have been changed. I tell him the lady on the floor already checked it, but he has to check for himself. Ok.

He calls for assistance, the SAME lady comes up, says yeah, that's what was on it (although she WAS hesitant). Now she decides she's going to go check it out again. She leaves, calls the clerk, now the price is 5 TIMES what the sticker said. ??!?! Do I want it? I said no, that's the stickered price which she had already admitted to double checking. Goodwill has been getting more and more greedy to these past few years. These items are DONATED! Bait and Switch! Not Cool!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

11/1/2019 Today at app 9:30 am I visited the location on Reynolds Road. And was force out unfairly by a manager who was on the phone lying to her boss. 11/1/2019 Today at app 9:30 am I was doing some light shopping at Goodwill at their Reynolds Rd. location. As I was shopping I happened across a old recliner from the '60s. Discolored, faded crispy, but it had a price of ten bucks stuck to the arm of the chair. I went on, did some more shopping and thought about it and said to my father I can throw a sheet over it. It was sturdy. My father agreed and I called a employee over and told her I wanted to buy it but could not pick it up until tomorrow.

I had called a buddy and he agreed to haul it but could not do until tomorrow. As I was now done shopping and the lady pulled off the sticker and we walked towards the counter. Midway there the lady ran into the manager who was also the only person who could check out. And she gave her the sticker and said I wanted it. Right away the manager blows up. "That's the wrong sticker. It's white, it should be yellow." Well their yellow tag was not there. It was stuck to the bottom of the chair hidden behind a mirror. So she starts a scene as soon as I start talking to her. As I disturbed her from something in the back room she starts making nasty or hurry sounds that Whatever she was doing was interfere with the back room where everyone was except a lady sweeping floors and the two faced new employee were present.

After getting the number I called and that ticked her off even more. She stomped off to the back room then came out stomping over to check me out. I got no answer to the voicemail where the operator sent me. I left a voice message. I never got a call back. Talking to the lady behind me we were talking how rude she was. And remember it's not my fault they mismarked it. Expecting her to help come to a place we could meet in the middle she didn't like my attitude and picked up her phone. Called 911 and walked in the back room. Now remember. I'm in line with my debit card out trying to just pay and leave.

At this point I told her to forget the chair. She comes out blares out, "I called 911" as she had her manager on the phone. The guy who I called and left a message and never called back. So I talked to him. Tried to explain my side and told him all I was doing was waiting to pay my bill. The lady behind me had now left to the other side as some mystery lady appears from the back room. Skipped me and was serving the people now lined up behind me. The police arrived, she put her boss on the phone with the officer officer asked him what he wanted to do and he instructed the officer to show me the door. I politely said ok, walked away and left. I went down the road to another store. Found the same things cheaper and better and much cleaner.

My point is this manager handled this entire matter out of line and angry because of something with the attitude she had. It could of been handled with the Boss on the phone. Instead of thinking of the customer I was publicly humiliated and forced out by a Toledo Police officer. I never once raised my voice. She just didn't like what I was saying to the other customer. Since when is a crime to talk in a store to other customers about how bad of services I was getting along with an attitude because this lady was mad about something.

Goodwill, you will never see a dollar from me again. Now the two-faced new employe. The entire time the manager was in the back room a good 10 min maybe 15 minutes she talked this manager down the whole time on how nasty she is and she doesn't like her. Then as soon as the manager hangs up the phone she slitters slimy behind the manager and whispers, "I got your back." Lol. When I called her out she now changes her tune. 1 Amendment Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

My family and I have shopped at Goodwill stores for many years. I used to like shopping at the one in Zeeland but lately it has gotten really bad. The team leaders stand around talking and not helping and some of them are really rude and grumpy when you ask for help. I know that we all have bad days sometimes but this store has people working there that never have good days! And if you're the manager or team leader isn't your job supposed to be to take care of customers? Not only that but there is soooo much waste in this store!

One employee doesn't like to take care of baby clothes (textiles) so she dumps them all in the compactor, another one hates doing linens so she throws them all away, one of the guys hates doing books so they get dumped also! What the actual heck is going on??? If this place depends on our donations, why do they throw so many away? I'm sure their corporate headquarters wouldn't be too thrilled to see their bottom line being tossed because people are lazy! Please get your act together! Until you do I won't be shopping there or donating my saleable items to line your pockets!

Goodwill Store Company Information