2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.37/5
Based on 1,138 ratings

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Goodwill Store Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodwill Store?

Original review: May 24, 2020

Where do I start… clothes overpriced for used clothes. They don’t test to make sure product works and if it doesn’t you can’t even get your money. Have to get store credit. That would be fine but since you don’t check the stuff prior to selling it then we should be able to get refunded. That’s not treating your paying customer nice. That’s entrapment. Employees are rude. You stand there waiting to check out then when they come they have an attitude because they have to stop and come check you out. Not my fault you’re overworked. I never see a happy employee.

This stuff is donated to help people out but it’s so ridiculously overpriced. I use to go to all of them almost everyday but at the prices Now rather buy new for few more $. Some stuff be dirty or broken. They won’t even go down a dollar. One $1. Imagine that, I stop donating there. They won’t help people or compromise. What’s the use? I can go on and on. dDon’t have enough space. I’m just telling the truth. Goodwill has lost it original vision and I’m not the only one thinking that....

Original review: May 17, 2020

Today is May 17. They have just opened up from Covid19. I have waited 50 years to get the senior discount!!!! Today I find that they just raised it from 50-60 and you only get 10 Percent. In Cincinnati, Ohio It used to be 50 years or older on Sundays you get half off! and any other non sale days 50 and over get 10 percent off!!! After 50 years!!!! I GET NO DISCOUNT AGAIN!!!! I have to say this is real BS. I hope they realize they will be losing customers on this move!!!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I shop at the Goodwills in SLC UT located at State street and 9th East. Duha the manager of State is always very friendly and smiles to greet customers. The rest of the staff at both locations are nice too! I find great deals on new and used merchandise. Thanks for helping to recycle the universe!

Original review: May 3, 2020

I have won 3 auctions from a store in Texas. They were being shipped to Florida. The first shipment I received had broken pieces and not the correct amount stated in the description. The second shipment had 2 broken figurines that were clearly intact on the website pictures. My 3rd shipment has been shipped to an incorrect customer and is supposedly being retrieved. I have sent a communication to the customer service and have not heard anything. My next step will be to contact my credit card company to have the charges reversed if I don't hear from them soon. It's not an issue with the delivery company. The boxes are POORLY packed.

This has been an issue with more and more shipments lately. I received 3 other shipments from auctions I have won. One was completely shattered and a refund issued. Another had a broken piece that I let slide but did notify the location about breakage issue. Another came tonight broken that I need to simmer down some before contacting the seller through Goodwill. I have received many shipments that have been packaged well and everything was intact. The past week or so has not been good though especially from the Texas location.

Original review: April 25, 2020

Here we go again. This is about shipping again... I looked at a vintage radio record player combo...and the price was fair...UNTIL I looked at the shipping.. So I wrote them and asked why the shipping is $44.00 to ship this...because I looked at the same item..that was almost exactly the same size and weight...and they wanted $11 to ship theirs...

This is what I asked: "I don't understand... You're saying just the box weight's 50 lbs...to ship the radio in...? Actual weight 29.5 lbs...and shipping weight is 79.5 lbs??? I'm in a zip code of 11967." I got no answer so I added this: "Here is another radio, turntable similar to the one your selling... It is item number 90943103..."

Then they said this: "Thank you for your message. This item's shipping weight is higher than its actual weight because it was calculated based on the shipping carrier's dimensional weight shipping policy. Dimensional weight is calculated based on the amount of cubic space a package fills in a transportation vehicle. The larger or more fragile an item is, the higher its shipping price will be as a result of the dimensional weight calculation made from its larger packaging. Please let us know if you have any other questions."

Then I asked this: "I understand that..but the item number I showed you is the same size radio, and it ships for $11 and the shipping weight is 22lbs, and actual weight is 20.4lbs... That is why I showed you the number to look at the other auction and see what I mean. Why would your radio shipping weight be 79 lbs. where the one item, number of 90943103 ship for 22lbs?? That is what I'm asking."

This is there answer: "This item's shipping weight is calculated based on the previously noted dimensional weight calculations and the size of the shipping box available at our facility that can safely hold the item. Due to this item's weight and dimensions, it requires a larger box to allow for additional padding for its protection and to prevent it from potentially tearing through the outer shipping box during transit. The item you have referenced is being sold by a different Goodwill facility and is slightly smaller and weighs less than the item being sold through our facility, which affects the shipping box able to be used and the shipping weight of the item. We apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this has caused." I gave up... So I guess if they ship me...an empty box...that is larger than the one...that could do the job. I would have to pay for a shipping weight of 50 lbs more to get the item.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I've been shopping at my local Goodwill stores for a long time, sometimes I find that piece of gold but a lot of times it's just junk. I wanted to explore more and find good items all the time. I ended up finding their website shopgoodwill.com which is more of an auction site than a straight purchase site. I started looking on the site and found my first item which was a Nintendo Mario lamp, it was said to be brand new and it was only $9.99. I placed my bid and won! I didn't research my Shipping cost but it was about $20 to ship. Ok, not bad for this kind of lamp. So I submitted my payment and waited for the lamp to arrive.

The day it came, it was EXACTLY as it was described. It had the original tag on it, the factory plastic on the lamp shade (which is a question block) and not a mark of damage. I was very impressed. It was even shipped with a lot of care as it had a load of padding, the lamp shade was properly wrapped as well as the base. I tried the item (hoping it wouldn't set my house on fire being a used/new product) and it worked.

I went back on the site to see what else I could get and found for my mother 2 Erica Kane (All my children) barbie dolls. I won those as well and she said they arrived perfect, well padded and as described. So I started to order more and found that most of the good items end up on this site. This is why it's hard to find something in Goodwill stores. I can tell you that items like The Bates Motel (Psycho) model kit with polar lights, brand new and sealed was on this site for $24.99 where if it was in their store it would have been $4.99 at most.

The thing that gets me about this site is the Shipping. Shipping is said to use FedEx, but sometimes they change it to USPS or UPS which are cheaper services than Fedex most of the time. Then the pricing to ship something out is ridiculously expensive. For example I ordered 2 PlayStation 2 games with cases and manual, the works. Having to deal with Shipping a lot, I know 2 PS2 games weigh 8oz, 10oz at most. They charge for 1lbs which brings it up to $9.99 for shipping, $2 or $3 handling, then taxes and other fees and before long your up to almost $18 for Shipping. Then come to find out that the store used USPS anyway which cost them $4-$5 for first class. This actually happened to me with 3 Sony PSP games, my bid was $13 but shipping was $16 for Fedex, they used USPS.

When I questioned this, they stated "Sorry we can't refund for estimated shipping costs or difference in shipping prices". Which makes me question why? You created the listing, you posted the item, you weighed the item, you are responsible for your listing. If the games came in damage and I were to say I want a refund, they would immediately point to the listing and say "No refund" as stated. So why is it different, if you quote for Fedex, ship Fedex not USPS.

When it comes to customer service, it's a hit and miss. Some of the stores respond quick while others won't respond for days. Sometimes you can get satisfaction other times your stuck with that decision you made. I've only had 1 issue with an item but it was more my fault than the store for not reading the description.

Overall, I would say the site has some great things on it. My only word of caution is to look at the Shipping cost and watch how they ship. If they estimate for Fedex, make sure they are Shipping Fedex. Do not let them take you over and take extra money that does not belong to them. Also, always read "item info", it maybe exciting to bid or there may be limited time left, just cover your basis and read it!

Original review: March 22, 2020

Donations door & gates were still open but they wouldn’t take my 2 bags because I was 1/2 hour later than their “posted” hours!! Will NEVER donate again!! I feel that if doors/gates are open, you are open for business!!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I normally donate to Goodwill. Many customers are complaining that the items are overpriced. That's not my experience. However, an employee named Cierra at a store in Middletown, Ohio, was rude and unprofessional. She cut in front of me as I walked to the register without bothering to apologize. Unfortunately, she was the only employee one available to check me out. I paid her. She never said "hello", "thank you for your business", "have a nice day". In fact, she only spoke to give me the price. I work in customer service also. This employee obviously did not care about her customer. The manager of this facility, Susan, is excellent. The other staff is rude, as is Cierra. I think the Company should be careful to hire staff who actually enjoy assisting customers. I'll avoid this facility in the future.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

This happened recently at Goodwill at their Guelph, Ontario location. Last summer I donated seven car loads to multiple charities and this summer will complete my downsizing. In the past I donated but didn't shop in any of the thrift stores because I was downsizing and not looking to buy anything. But recently, I decided I wanted to give the rest of my donations to one charity and decided to visit Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village to decide which charity I would donate to. I had a great experience in all of them except one. Every store had a nice selection and good prices and Salvation Army and Value Village staff were friendly and helpful. My experience with Goodwill was bad. This is what happened and why I won't be donating to them.

After browsing for half an hour, I selected a few items for purchase and went to the cashier. The store was almost empty. No one was in the line other than me. I approached the cashier and began putting the items onto the counter. The cashier stopped me and said 'wait, wait. ... don't do that! Wait ... until I finish wrapping the items you put onto the counter!"

I stood there for several minutes waiting for her to pack the items. She took a very long time and seemed distracted. I got impatient and finished putting the rest of my purchases onto the now half empty counter. She complained and insisted I remove the items. She then told me to help her wrap the rest of the items. I stood there silently and was very annoyed. She stopped wrapping and began completing the payment when I said to her that I still had several items in my basket. She called for help. Another cashier came and she left. She'd seemed distracted, disinterested and rude. No sense of customer service and ordered me around like a bossy, insensitive supervisor would treat a new employee. The second cashier finished wrapping everything and I left wondering how such a rude person like the first cashier can hold a job.

As I said earlier, after Goodwill, I went to Value Village and Salvation Army. Their prices were as good; good selection of inventory; their stores as clean and their cashiers, cheerful and helpful. I'm writing this to the people working in the business of charities. You should fully understand that those that donate to you and those that buy the donations are your "customers". They are the backbone of your business; of why you even exist. Be pleasant to them and give them a great shopping experience. To the store owners, I encourage you to find out if you have toxic employees like this Goodwill cashier and get rid of them. They will destroy your business.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

We shop at Wintersville OH store and it is GREAT. The prices are fair and the store is clean. The staff is knowledgeable and extremely friendly and helpful. I have been shopping at this Goodwill for years and YES some prices are higher for items bought from Target but this is easily offset by MANY discounted items placed on the shelves and racks throughout the day. If you are looking for Good quality merchandise or something unique I am NEVER disappointed. I always buy SOMETHING.

I talk to other regular customers at the store all the time and even though a few might complain about a 'high' price at times I always remind them that it sure beats shopping at MACY'S or KOHL'S as a lot of the items are name brand and used it NOT it's a GREAT DEAL. I read many other reviews about Goodwills from around the country but my shopping experience has been nothing but pleasant. I could give 100s of examples of finds throughout the years I have shopped there. I could give lots of examples of Exemplary customer service from Marcy, Tammy, Alicia, Doug as well as many others.

Goodwill Store Company Information