1.85/5
  • 1 star
Based on 47 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 23, 2017

51 Dressbarn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 23, 2017

I was in this store Saturday evening May 7, 2016. Me and my girlfriend was the only ** people in the store between 6:45-7:00 pm. The manager followed us around the whole time and when we didn't see a dress to buy my girlfriend's grandmother for Mother's Day the manager met us at the door and stood in front of it and said "May I help you." I told her the plus size really didn't have what we were looking for and as she opened the door for us she got close up on me and looked in my bag that I had bought at another store assuming with her actions we had stolen something and put it in my bag.

Me and my girlfriend was so embarrassed but being the peaceful people we are we didn't cause a scene but I did call the store back and talk to the manager and kindly told her I will be calling her district manager and corporate office on Monday morning. My girlfriend literally cried in the car on the way home because every holiday we get her grandmother and my mom which is now deceased a dress from Dressbarn. I've spent money in Dressbarn in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Charlotte, North Carolina since I was a kid because my mom loved that store so I always knew what to get her. I wish this story was untrue but if you guys have camera footage of the store at the time I stated above you would be so disappointed in the manager's actions towards us.

Original review: July 12, 2017

First let me say I don't shop anywhere else but Dressbarn, not anymore. I bought a pair of black crop pants. I wore them twice and I felt something weird and I noticed that the whole inside of the leg was shredding. I went back to the San Dimas store in CA. I picked up another pair just like it to do an exchange. The manager said (we don't take back damaged items). I said I only wore them twice and she repeated herself. I said "I heard you might be closing" and she said "yes probably" and then discarded me and walked away. I can tell you that I shopped there so much they knew my name. I am going to call corporate. What really made me angry was her disrespect for me. I spent $40.00 on these pants.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 2, 2017

I am a crossdressing man who has had wonderful experiences trying on dresses and skirts at a local Dressbarn store. I call the store ahead of time and give the manager the SKU numbers and sizes of the dresses, skirts and tops I want to try on. She then sets up a dressing room with these items so that I don't have to be embarrassed in picking these items off the rack. I just look for the manager and she directs me to the dressing room which is ready for me. I can't explain just how much less stressful that makes it for me when I get to the store.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have been a loyal and active customer of Dressbarn for almost 10 years. What happened today was the only bad experience I have ever had at Dressbarn. I have never had any problems with the store I shop at in Laurel, MD, but today was so surprising and made me rethink the value they place on customer relations.

I bought a top for my mum with couple of other garments and tried to return the top, which was NEVER worn (obviously so) with tags and receipt intact, only to be told that the return cannot be processed as it "appears" to have been worn because it smells. Customers try on garments in stores and I'm sure some wear heavy perfumes or have body odor. We normally just pick a clothing off the rack that we like. I did not know when it became a requirement for DB that customers smell clothes before buying otherwise they will be unable to return due to the smell of the garment. I find this preposterous as I was at a loss.

Bear in mind that it was even confirmed by customer service after calling to make a complaint that my record shows that I am a very active customer with little or no returns. I sometimes do exchanges only for size changes. I have a Credit Card with DB that I pay on time on, and even take visiting family members to shop there. Just within these past 2 weeks, my sister and mum made purchases to the tune of almost $500. It is so unfair to be looked in the face and told you did something you didn't do especially when your record even speaks for itself.

I definitely will no longer be shopping here again. I will pay off my credit card with DB ($180 or so) and close the card. I honestly do not want to have anything to do with a store that treats its loyal customers like trash. My mother still loves the store. That is the only store she gets all her garments from when she is town with me, which is rather unfortunate. I waited for over 30 minutes this morning for the store to open up and quite frankly, the store manager, who I believe did not do her job well, really messed up my day. She readily and gleefully gave me her name to call customer service. I guess it is because she probably knows the company's customer service wouldn't do anything, which was exactly what happened.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I've shopped at Dressbarn on various occasions in the stores, but in April I decided to order two dresses online through their website. I thought I was getting a deal when the shipping charges were free; however, it took three weeks for me to get the items. I bought items from two other stores through their websites at the same time; their shipping fees were also free; but I received those items within 7 days of order. Gladly I wasn't in any hurry for the items; however, I didn't like the dresses and had to return them. Here's where the problem began.

With the shipping return label that is provided there is no way to track the package further than post office, because that package is passed onto another shipping company and that tracking number is not available to you. I mailed the package back on May 1 and still have not received my refund. In contacting customer service, I was told it takes at least 30 days to receive a refund. Next week will be the thirty-day mark and I hope I to receive my refund by then. Regardless, I won't be using Dressbarn's online ordering system again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dressbarn?

Original review: May 8, 2017

I'm shocked at the negative reviews for Dressbarn. I've been shopping at DressBarn since they opened a store at the Outlets in Jackson, NJ. I have no complaints. The employees at this store are wonderful and very helpful. I guess that NOT all stores have wonderful employees. If you go to one that has awful employees you should try another store. I have been happy with my purchases and when I have returns, it's never been a problem. Customers that do have problems should contact headquarters so that they can replace the bad employees.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Myself and my mother are always buying items from Dressbarn. All of our clothing plus shoes, sunglasses, jewelry, purses, and misc items. We are treated with respect by management and all staff. We have never had trouble with any returns including returns for online shopping. The clothes are extremely well made. No faulty hems, zippers, buttons, the fabrics stay the same colors and texture. We are long time buyers and very rarely shop elsewhere. The mall stores are over priced in comparison. My question to the shopper with the faulty zipper is "Why did you buy an item in the wrong size that you knew had a zipper issue? Use some common sense please and don't complain when you don't!"

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

The DressBarn in Countryside, Illinois appears to have nice styles and huge variety, bought a quilted fall coat. When I tried on my size, the zipper split. So I decided to buy the coat but picked out another one same style, thought it was just a fluke of that particular coat. Well I wore it, and the zipper split. I promptly return (store credit as no tags) and ooohhh did I get first degree. They looked it over & over, said I wore it. I never denied I wore it. I said zipper is cheap and it splits. They said they would have to give to thrift store. I said, "you are giving a cheap coat to thrift store?" Guess I'll have to go back and use store credit but after that no way will I shop there.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Sorry about caps, but I can type faster when my hands hurt. So my 1st encounter with Dressbarn was I had gotta a pair of capri pants as a gift wrong size. So this past July I had been refurbishing a bureau so when I went to Dressbarn I looked a little darby. So ok, I walk in, go to the counter & the lady calls a so called manager. What this woman said to me, made me feel like Julia Roberts in her shopping scene from pretty women. She made me feel dirty, cheap & not worthy of her time. So I turned to leave & I hear scumbag ** & laughter coming from where I just was. That was just my 1st encounter. I have several more, but I think I will contact corp office via registered mail & maybe a lawsuit. So I can give you many names for customer agents. Louise, Emily, Allison, 3 of them, Denise, Debbie, Esther, and more

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

Online ordering is impossible. I have been trying all day to place an order for 2 shrugs. Each time my order has not gone through. Waste of time. Will take my business, and my MONEY elsewhere. Bye-bye Dress Barn!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

This is my first time writing a review as to clothing. I thought I had finally found a store that had my style of clothing. This summer I purchased approximately 6-7 tops at DressBarn and I received many compliments on them. The problem is after a few washings the stitching around the neck, sleeves, hem, etc. started unraveling. Rather than pay extra money to a seamstress to repair the tops, I gave them to a thrift store and cut my losses. I had no receipts to return the tops to the store. My last purchase at DressBarn was skinny jeans, that I love, but I'm concerned the jeans may fall apart after a few washings. Sad to say, I doubt if I will buy any future clothing at DressBarn. It's too bad because I do love the styles but the quality is poor.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I walked into a meeting today and, as usual, someone commented on my outfit. They LOVED new black wide-leg trousers and the cream colored shirt with black bows on it. My response, Dress Barn! My colleague said, "Seriously, that is all you ever say. You should be a spokesperson!" While I may not be spokesperson-worthy, as someone who works in publicity, I know that it is uncommon for people to reach out with positive feedback about any given company. With this in mind, I thought you may want to hear from literally your number one fan.

Since discovering Dress Barn in 2013, I have quickly moved from a casual customer to someone that spends an average of $400 a month at your stores. The majority of my shopping is done in the White City store in Shrewsbury, Mass. But, I also shop from time to time online and in the Charlton, Mass. store. In the work place, I am know as someone who is very fashionable and constantly am asked where I shop. I can't tell you how many people I have sent your way, as some still don't realize how fashionable your clothes are. So, I wanted to Thank You and let you know all the reasons why I love Dress Barn.

1. The style. Your clothing has come a long way. DB has been on point for so many of the new trends. 2. The sizes. I attached photos of me that I have posted over the years rocking your clothes. One shows I went from a 24 to a 16 and I LOVE that you have sizes for everyone and don't discriminate. When I was a 24, I could still get very cute styles that didn't look like they were made by my grandmother. 3. The quality. The quality is amazing. I am a working mother that commutes three hours a day. I have three kids, a dog, two cats and a guinea pig. I don't have the money or time for dry cleaning. I wash your clothes over and over and they look the same. 4. The price. Back to my life. I have a job that requires me to dress nice, go to meetings across the country and sometimes formal events. You have amazingly priced clothes for everything.

I used to shop at other stores and have switched completely for reasons 1, 3 and 4. First, the clothes are way overpriced, most don't work for business women and if I wash them, they FALL apart. The last two items I bought outside of your company had the hems fall within 2 wears. (This happens at many stores. This summer, after I lost weight I was excited to try JCrew. I paid $125 for a skirt and after one wear the hem fell and the lining shredded.) 5. The service. The ladies that work in the stores are always very pleasant and helpful. And, they treat me like they care - always hanging my clothes neatly to be sent home. That is my ramble for today. Again, thank you so much. I really love your brand and thought you should know.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I went to the Dressbarn in Moreno Valley, CA and was treated rudely and discriminated against. There was only one other customer, yet Araceli, the Hispanic clerk said "I'll take your stuff up by the cash register". I've shopped there before and they kindly offer to "start a dressing room". I was in jeans and had a larger than average purse. I realize she thought I was going to steal!! When I waited for her to retrieve my items so that I could try them on, she was too busy having a conversation with another employee. She knew there were no customers using the fitting room. I probably make 4-5 x's her income and don't steal! I will never shop at a Dressbarn again. I felt uncomfortable.

Original review: April 27, 2016

After shopping about 10 days early, I returned to the store to pick up a special order of pants and to return a pair of pants that was a poor fit. Was IMMEDIATELY accused of having worn the pants -- with tags -- that I was attempting to return. Associate was rude and couldn't deal with my indignation so summoned her manager. The manager asked me, (and I quote), "Are you the one that is making my employee stressed?" She went on to insinuate that there was cat hair on the pants. There wasn't. What a pair (not the pants, the DressBarn employees). I can see from the other reviews that poor customer service is a hallmark of DressBarn. I shopped there for years BUT had never attempted to return anything. Like the other complaint reviews, it was the utter rudeness of the associates that was the kicker. Be advised, that is all I can say.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I purchased an item at Dressbarn that I decided not to keep and never even wore it. I went back the very next day to return the item. When I took the item out of the bag, I somehow lost the tags that were not attached any longer. I told the lady at the counter that they must have fallen out at home or in my car that I would look for them and bring them back. The lady said that they could not take them back because even if I found the tags, they were not still attached to the garment and it was policy not to take them back unless the tags were still attached. I explained to the lady that the tags had fallen off the item when I tried them on in the dressing room the day before and that the lady who cashed me out said it wasn't a problem and just scanned the price and threw the loose tags in the bag with the item.

This very rude lady then told me that all employees reattach the tags before a customer leaves so there is no problem with returns. I was so upset at this point! This rude person was basically calling me a liar! I again told her that the lady did NOT reattach the tags and that I walked out of the store with them like that. She pushed the item back at me and said she would not accept them without tags. I felt so disrespected as a customer. I drove all the way home and looked everywhere and of course I couldn't find them so I'm stuck with merchandise I will never use. At that point, however, I was more upset they treated me so badly. I was looking forward to purchasing some of the wonderfully colorful blouses they had there and now I will never step foot in that store again! Customer Service is outrageous!

Original review: April 9, 2016

I use to love going to Dressbarn getting outfits for work, but there's a young lady who's always very rude (Marquita). So I will not continue to shop where I constantly get attitude.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I use to buy from Dressbarn all the time. I have the credit card and I use to spend a lot of money there. I bought 2 suits for my new job. I started having trouble with the pants immediately. The hem came out on the one pair and the button came off the other pair. I bought 2 pairs of the same pants. The brand was Jones Company. This is a brand that they carry. The quality is awful. I called and spoke to the manager. She told me to bring them in, but couldn't promise anything. Well, I could tell by her attitude that I would be wasting my time. I took the pants and had them fixed $25 later. They lost me forever as a customer. I hope they are happy. I will never step into another dressbarn again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

While shopping at Dressbarn, my 9 year-old daughter needed to use the restroom. She asked the associate where the restroom was and was told if she had to use the restroom, she would have to leave the store to go to the Bed, Bath and Beyond that was located in the same strip mall. So, it's okay for me to spend hundreds of dollars at your store within the last year, but my daughter was not allowed to use your bathroom. Shame on you, Dressbarn!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

On December 5th 2015 I ordered a gift card for my daughter for Christmas. It travels by FedEx to the city I live in then FedEx takes to local post office for deliver. It showed it was to be delivered on the 16th. Never showed. Check status again and it said delivery was pending. Waited a couple of days and no gift card. Printed off FedEx info and took to post office. They showed that it had not been delivered to them from FedEx. Contacted FedEx, they were no help. Contacted dress barn for help. Just told me to contact post office which they don't read either because I told them I had already contact post office and FedEx. Smartpost will not stand behind this post so guess my daughter is out of a Christmas gift. Will never buy another thing from Dress Barn. They are a rip off. Got their money and don't care about customer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I purchased a faux leather jacket online and had it delivered to the store for pick up. When I checked out online I had an option to use a credit card or PayPal. I used PayPal and what a mistake. I tried to return the jacket back to the store because it does not lay right when you have it on and I was told that because I used PayPal that I could only get store credit. When I got back home I went on live chat and ask why it was that way and they said PayPal is third party. I stated that they should have that on the web page and I was told they did. They provided me with the web address and I went to that site and could not find anything explaining that if you use PayPal you can only get store credit! On top of that when I ask why on live chat they replied to me like it was all my fault. No apology at all! I will not shop there again!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

The WORST experience ever! They couldn't look my card up because it became deactivated after not being used for a while. The clerk treated me like a SUB-Human. I called the main number to rectify it and after 45 minutes on hold and switching to several different reps they still could not find my information to send me a new card! I am so done with this store. The other thing that irritates me is how unbelievably snotty and stuck up all of the help is in every location I have ever stepped foot in. It's pretty consistent. They have more than earned their bad reputation for poor customer service and "better than you" attitude that their minimum wage clerks give you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I went to the Temecula store on 08/08/2015, found an amazing dress, and placed it on hold. While I was there I tried on the dress and I was speaking with one of the associates about the item. Midst conversation she turned to a different customer acknowledged that the item they were trying on was beautiful, and then walked away from me. I placed the item on hold, returned to the store to retrieve the item on the same day, and there were two register associates helping customers, so I waited in line.

Once they were both completed, they both walked away as I stood at the counter. I began looking around to see where the associates had gone, and when one finally returned she stated "Sorry I had to put some clothes away". We then informed her that we were picking up an item that we had placed on hold, and we finally had the opportunity to check out. This is my first time to the Temecula store. I have shopped at the Lake Elsinore store, and their customer service is amazing. I will NEVER return to the Temecula store again, until they get an entirely new team of associates!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

THIS EVIL, TREACHEROUS PLACE HAS CAUSE MY BEST FRIEND TO PROFUSELY STREAM WATER FROM HER EYEBALLS!!! The devil himself is APPALLED by the behavior of the staff. This is a disgrace & not only makes the store look bad, but the entire human race. The human race is ashamed. The human race has been heavily degraded. The human race is looking for an apology.

Original review: July 10, 2015

My first time shopping at the Dressbarn location in White Marsh Mall, MD has caused me nothing but headaches. Once getting to the register with my items I noticed glue across a pair of shoes I was looking to buy. The sales associate offered to clean them and then said she could order them to another location. Upon swiping my card she stated that a debit card could not be used. After quite a bit of back and forth I stated I would purchase the items myself online and she angrily voided the transaction.

Several days later a charge showed up on my card from this store for a purchase I never made. I called the manager who rudely answered and would hardly let me speak, telling me that if I had any concerns with a charge I would need to show up there in person with my receipt. When I could finally explain what happened she said that I could not speak directly with the associate, Ms. **, but that she would talk to her give me a call back. When the manager called back she used a much sweeter tone and politely told me that yes, a transaction had been made, but that was as much as she was going to say and to call customer service if I had an issue.

After 3 days of speaking with different customer service representatives I finally received a call back from a supervisor who informed me that the charge made with my card was used to pay off another person's Dressbarn credit card. I am still waiting for the charge to be reversed.

In addition to this, I have received an email that the item I ordered online was incorrectly canceled due to technical difficulties with their fulfillment center, but if I wanted the item I could just re-order it online. I have received an apology email, but only offering 20% off coupons is nothing for all of the hassle and time that I've wasted, especially when the same discount is already offered for anyone to use online. It's such a shame to have so many negative experiences within the past week, when I've always enjoyed shopping at other Dressbarn locations in NY.

Original review: June 14, 2015

First I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to open try room. I came out with the clothes which I did not like and put outside on a bench places outside of try room. Store manager started speaking in rude language to me. I asked her that I placed the tried clothes on bench, because I did not see the rack hidden behind wall. She keeps on mumbling. I asked her if she is doing because I am woman of color. I tried to speak to her nicely and I even apologized if I made any mistake. She was white angry and rude lady. I have never seen such sales rep or store manager with rude language and behavior. I hope someone in management rectify her behavior.

Original review: June 14, 2015

Dressbarn on kings highway is a horrible store. Not only did I encounter identity theft, where they charge me money for items I never purchased. But mostly I have a problem with the employees at that store. They are very nasty, don't want to do their job and talk to you like a piece of **. They don't see a respectable customer cause they are too blind.

After I tried on a couple dresses and hanged them back up on the hanger, the Russian short haired, fat lady came up to me in front of other people screaming why I didn't take them out of the dressing room. After I took the time to hang them all up and leave the dressing room in a good shape. Then, the cashier started looking at me up and down and then told me to go stand over there; far away. I suggest the owner of this store, carefully watch the employees, how they are treating customers. No wonder when you walk in the store there are very few people shopping. I threw the clothes on the counter and left very upset and vowed to never ever step foot in a store like this.

Original review: June 2, 2015

Loving DressBarn. I can't say enough about this place. The staff was very helpful. They help me find shirts when I want them to. They know me by name and all around just a great place to go. I recommend them to everyone I see because they don't always know that they carry more than dresses there. Capris are wonderful along with their shirts. This location is in Great Northern Mall upstate New York.

Original review: May 18, 2015

I use to always shop at the Elmhurst store in IL. I shopped here for 4 years and every time I went in there people knew me by name. I went in the day before Mother's Day to purchase a dress and all I can say is they are horrible now. I asked where my sales girl was and mentioned her name and they said she was the manager and she's gone. So I decided to give my favorite Dressbarn a chance. No way, no how huge mistake. They are racist there you won't get help if you're black. They think you're doing something bad if you ask to do layaway. And the worst of the worst are a loud mouth woman named ** and a very incompetent southern woman I was told was new manager. Dressbarn you made a huge mistake. I will never shop at Elmhurst again. The sad thing is I heard others complaining bout the service too.

Thankfully I have ** from Bloomingdale still and I will shop with her. Elmhurst get it together and train your people and get rid of loud mouth **. No one cares all about hearing all her problems. So annoying. Horrible experience and you better believe I am going to tell all my friends how racist ** is and this ain't over.

Original review: April 13, 2015

My review is not just for the Dressbarn that I visited as I have visited others as well. I understand that employees do not make the decisions about the facilities as it relates to having a restroom available, therefore is not against any employee but against Dressbarn for not having one. This needs to be fixed as I had an emergency and having to leave to go to another place for the facility was where they received my money.

Original review: March 14, 2015

I shop the Grove City, Ohio and the Jeffersonville, Ohio Tanger Outlet Dressbarn. I find both extremely bright and clean, merchandise always in good order and nicely displayed. I am greeted when I come in the door at both places. Help is offered and they will check other stores if I cannot find my size in the item I like. They ask if I have a coupon to make sure I did not forget if I do. It is a delight to shop BOTH of these Dressbarns. I also shop the out Dressbarn at Lodi, Ohio a couple of times a year and find it the same way. I do not understand other complaints on other Dressbarns. Come shop the ones I do!!

Dressbarn Company Information