1.81/5
Based on 54 reviews that contain star ratings

58 Dressbarn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

Do NOT shop at the Dressbarn in Winter Gardens FL. The staff this Saturday were disrespectful and insulting. To top it off, I ordered 2 shirts online on a Sunday, I needed them for an event on the following Friday so thinking shipping would be fast, I had them sent to this store, which is the closest to where I live, about 30-40 minute drive. Loved one of the shirts so much that I decided to go the Wednesday before the arrival date to try them on. The staff that day were amazing, I explained my situation and they were very helpful. Found me tons of items to try and ended up buying like 10 items more. I was assured that when the online order arrived, I would be able to return the shirt I re-purchased.

To make the story short, the staff the following Saturday were HORRIBLE! Rude to say the least... At the end they would not return my money, only a store credit, because I paid with PayPal. Of course that the only place that states this ridiculous return policy is on the receipt inside the package so there's no way for you to know this specific fact until AFTER you spend the money and get the items! I have contacted their corporate office in regards to this incident and they have not responded yet. Terrible experience!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I can't believe all the crappy reviews I am reading. I have been shopping here for years both online and off. I have never once had a problem returning any item, I have never once had a problem with any customer service representative, everyone I have dealt with was polite and wanted to make the customer happy. The clothing fits true to size (which I can't say for many other places), the styles are fresh. I always find something when I shop with Dressbarn. They have great sales and monthly coupons sent out via mail, email and text. I would have given 5 stars but I do prefer to shop for clothing made in the USA these days.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I went into a Dressbarn store and 50% of the store is plus sizes... about 35% of store is regular sizes and a small 15% petite sizes... The same styles in the plus size cost $5 to $10 more. This is discrimination to plus size women. They sell more plus sizes than regular or petite so the argument that it is a specialty size is not that accurate, they are taking advantage of plus size women... This is appalling!

Original review: April 5, 2018

On 4/4/18 while traveling for a conference I used the hotel laundry facility to do a load of laundry. I was traveling light and had brought a black and tan pair of Dressbarn pants knowing that I could mix and match for the week. Both pairs of pants shrunk causing me to take a cab to a local store and spend money purchasing new pants to get through the remainder of the conference. On 4/5/18, I called customer service to return or replace the pants. I explained that there was no indication on the tag that shrinkage may occur and was very disappointing that the product had let me down. I was read a scripted response from a call center employee and she was unwilling to deviate from her script to offer me any assistance. The return policy states that returns can be made within 60 days (I purchased them on Feb 19th) so, I am well within the 60 days however, because they had been worn and the tags removed, I was not able to return them.

I asked for them to be replaced and again referring to her script, she was unable to help me. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The "supervisor" which come to find out was not, read the same script. I tried to have a reasonable conversation but it is hard when employees are scripted. After a very frustrating conversation, where I was told there were NO supervisors available "because they are all in a meeting", I was told that I was going to be put on hold "probably for a long time" while she waited for a supervisor, she was rude.

Finally a woman named McKaila came on the line. She was not able to assist and made it clear that the call center does not have any authority to truly assist the customer. This is shameful, Dressbarn must empower their employees to provide customer service. It was very clear to me that this call center was nothing but an automated center in which the standard is NO. I will not support a company that does not care for the customer and employs low paid, low impact personnel to read scripts to people vs. talking to the customer and standing behind their products and service. This whole experience has shown me what kind of company Dressbarn is and I will make sure I inform my friends and network what a poorly run company this is.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I purchased a gift card for my Daughter Birthday... Mar. 6. I called their customer service... And told them this is Mar. 8. that my daughter still has not received her e-gift card from me in her email. If I mailed her a gift card by postal service she would have received it by now. I won't be using Dressbarn for their gift cards anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dressbarn?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I wish I could give the zero stars, I ordered a dress in September 2017 and returned it BUT as of the end of the year 2017 I still have NOT gotten my refund from this establishment!! They are crooks and have kept my $46.01 and there is nothing I can do about it!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I have purchased a lot of nice things from Dressbarn but found that a pair of pants I had bought were not going to work for me. I took them back to the store and explained to the person helping me that I had tried them on twice and realized I was not happy with them and wouldn't wear them. She had a distrustful attitude toward me from the get-go. The first thing she asked, in not a very nice way, was if I had worn them. I told her I had not. She then said she could not take them back because the tags were off. I had a receipt and I did not see how I could not return them if I had the receipt.

She then informed me that it was on the back of the receipt that the tags must be on the item. I told her it never occurred to me to read the back of my receipt and she informed me that was my contract!! I need a contract to buy a pair of pants!!? She picked up the pants again and said, "you didn't wear these???" I am not sure how I kept my cool but I did and after a long time and a lot of stalling and treating me like I was trying to pull something I did get my refund. After reading some of the other reviews I see that this kind of treatment is not an uncommon occurrence.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I was in this store Saturday evening May 7, 2016. Me and my girlfriend was the only ** people in the store between 6:45-7:00 pm. The manager followed us around the whole time and when we didn't see a dress to buy my girlfriend's grandmother for Mother's Day the manager met us at the door and stood in front of it and said "May I help you." I told her the plus size really didn't have what we were looking for and as she opened the door for us she got close up on me and looked in my bag that I had bought at another store assuming with her actions we had stolen something and put it in my bag.

Me and my girlfriend was so embarrassed but being the peaceful people we are we didn't cause a scene but I did call the store back and talk to the manager and kindly told her I will be calling her district manager and corporate office on Monday morning. My girlfriend literally cried in the car on the way home because every holiday we get her grandmother and my mom which is now deceased a dress from Dressbarn. I've spent money in Dressbarn in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Charlotte, North Carolina since I was a kid because my mom loved that store so I always knew what to get her. I wish this story was untrue but if you guys have camera footage of the store at the time I stated above you would be so disappointed in the manager's actions towards us.

Original review: July 12, 2017

First let me say I don't shop anywhere else but Dressbarn, not anymore. I bought a pair of black crop pants. I wore them twice and I felt something weird and I noticed that the whole inside of the leg was shredding. I went back to the San Dimas store in CA. I picked up another pair just like it to do an exchange. The manager said (we don't take back damaged items). I said I only wore them twice and she repeated herself. I said "I heard you might be closing" and she said "yes probably" and then discarded me and walked away. I can tell you that I shopped there so much they knew my name. I am going to call corporate. What really made me angry was her disrespect for me. I spent $40.00 on these pants.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I am a crossdressing man who has had wonderful experiences trying on dresses and skirts at a local Dressbarn store. I call the store ahead of time and give the manager the SKU numbers and sizes of the dresses, skirts and tops I want to try on. She then sets up a dressing room with these items so that I don't have to be embarrassed in picking these items off the rack. I just look for the manager and she directs me to the dressing room which is ready for me. I can't explain just how much less stressful that makes it for me when I get to the store.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have been a loyal and active customer of Dressbarn for almost 10 years. What happened today was the only bad experience I have ever had at Dressbarn. I have never had any problems with the store I shop at in Laurel, MD, but today was so surprising and made me rethink the value they place on customer relations.

I bought a top for my mum with couple of other garments and tried to return the top, which was NEVER worn (obviously so) with tags and receipt intact, only to be told that the return cannot be processed as it "appears" to have been worn because it smells. Customers try on garments in stores and I'm sure some wear heavy perfumes or have body odor. We normally just pick a clothing off the rack that we like. I did not know when it became a requirement for DB that customers smell clothes before buying otherwise they will be unable to return due to the smell of the garment. I find this preposterous as I was at a loss.

Bear in mind that it was even confirmed by customer service after calling to make a complaint that my record shows that I am a very active customer with little or no returns. I sometimes do exchanges only for size changes. I have a Credit Card with DB that I pay on time on, and even take visiting family members to shop there. Just within these past 2 weeks, my sister and mum made purchases to the tune of almost $500. It is so unfair to be looked in the face and told you did something you didn't do especially when your record even speaks for itself.

I definitely will no longer be shopping here again. I will pay off my credit card with DB ($180 or so) and close the card. I honestly do not want to have anything to do with a store that treats its loyal customers like trash. My mother still loves the store. That is the only store she gets all her garments from when she is town with me, which is rather unfortunate. I waited for over 30 minutes this morning for the store to open up and quite frankly, the store manager, who I believe did not do her job well, really messed up my day. She readily and gleefully gave me her name to call customer service. I guess it is because she probably knows the company's customer service wouldn't do anything, which was exactly what happened.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I've shopped at Dressbarn on various occasions in the stores, but in April I decided to order two dresses online through their website. I thought I was getting a deal when the shipping charges were free; however, it took three weeks for me to get the items. I bought items from two other stores through their websites at the same time; their shipping fees were also free; but I received those items within 7 days of order. Gladly I wasn't in any hurry for the items; however, I didn't like the dresses and had to return them. Here's where the problem began.

With the shipping return label that is provided there is no way to track the package further than post office, because that package is passed onto another shipping company and that tracking number is not available to you. I mailed the package back on May 1 and still have not received my refund. In contacting customer service, I was told it takes at least 30 days to receive a refund. Next week will be the thirty-day mark and I hope I to receive my refund by then. Regardless, I won't be using Dressbarn's online ordering system again.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I'm shocked at the negative reviews for Dressbarn. I've been shopping at DressBarn since they opened a store at the Outlets in Jackson, NJ. I have no complaints. The employees at this store are wonderful and very helpful. I guess that NOT all stores have wonderful employees. If you go to one that has awful employees you should try another store. I have been happy with my purchases and when I have returns, it's never been a problem. Customers that do have problems should contact headquarters so that they can replace the bad employees.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Myself and my mother are always buying items from Dressbarn. All of our clothing plus shoes, sunglasses, jewelry, purses, and misc items. We are treated with respect by management and all staff. We have never had trouble with any returns including returns for online shopping. The clothes are extremely well made. No faulty hems, zippers, buttons, the fabrics stay the same colors and texture. We are long time buyers and very rarely shop elsewhere. The mall stores are over priced in comparison. My question to the shopper with the faulty zipper is "Why did you buy an item in the wrong size that you knew had a zipper issue? Use some common sense please and don't complain when you don't!"

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

The DressBarn in Countryside, Illinois appears to have nice styles and huge variety, bought a quilted fall coat. When I tried on my size, the zipper split. So I decided to buy the coat but picked out another one same style, thought it was just a fluke of that particular coat. Well I wore it, and the zipper split. I promptly return (store credit as no tags) and ooohhh did I get first degree. They looked it over & over, said I wore it. I never denied I wore it. I said zipper is cheap and it splits. They said they would have to give to thrift store. I said, "you are giving a cheap coat to thrift store?" Guess I'll have to go back and use store credit but after that no way will I shop there.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Sorry about caps, but I can type faster when my hands hurt. So my 1st encounter with Dressbarn was I had gotta a pair of capri pants as a gift wrong size. So this past July I had been refurbishing a bureau so when I went to Dressbarn I looked a little darby. So ok, I walk in, go to the counter & the lady calls a so called manager. What this woman said to me, made me feel like Julia Roberts in her shopping scene from pretty women. She made me feel dirty, cheap & not worthy of her time. So I turned to leave & I hear scumbag ** & laughter coming from where I just was. That was just my 1st encounter. I have several more, but I think I will contact corp office via registered mail & maybe a lawsuit. So I can give you many names for customer agents. Louise, Emily, Allison, 3 of them, Denise, Debbie, Esther, and more

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

Online ordering is impossible. I have been trying all day to place an order for 2 shrugs. Each time my order has not gone through. Waste of time. Will take my business, and my MONEY elsewhere. Bye-bye Dress Barn!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

This is my first time writing a review as to clothing. I thought I had finally found a store that had my style of clothing. This summer I purchased approximately 6-7 tops at DressBarn and I received many compliments on them. The problem is after a few washings the stitching around the neck, sleeves, hem, etc. started unraveling. Rather than pay extra money to a seamstress to repair the tops, I gave them to a thrift store and cut my losses. I had no receipts to return the tops to the store. My last purchase at DressBarn was skinny jeans, that I love, but I'm concerned the jeans may fall apart after a few washings. Sad to say, I doubt if I will buy any future clothing at DressBarn. It's too bad because I do love the styles but the quality is poor.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I walked into a meeting today and, as usual, someone commented on my outfit. They LOVED new black wide-leg trousers and the cream colored shirt with black bows on it. My response, Dress Barn! My colleague said, "Seriously, that is all you ever say. You should be a spokesperson!" While I may not be spokesperson-worthy, as someone who works in publicity, I know that it is uncommon for people to reach out with positive feedback about any given company. With this in mind, I thought you may want to hear from literally your number one fan.

Since discovering Dress Barn in 2013, I have quickly moved from a casual customer to someone that spends an average of $400 a month at your stores. The majority of my shopping is done in the White City store in Shrewsbury, Mass. But, I also shop from time to time online and in the Charlton, Mass. store. In the work place, I am know as someone who is very fashionable and constantly am asked where I shop. I can't tell you how many people I have sent your way, as some still don't realize how fashionable your clothes are. So, I wanted to Thank You and let you know all the reasons why I love Dress Barn.

1. The style. Your clothing has come a long way. DB has been on point for so many of the new trends. 2. The sizes. I attached photos of me that I have posted over the years rocking your clothes. One shows I went from a 24 to a 16 and I LOVE that you have sizes for everyone and don't discriminate. When I was a 24, I could still get very cute styles that didn't look like they were made by my grandmother. 3. The quality. The quality is amazing. I am a working mother that commutes three hours a day. I have three kids, a dog, two cats and a guinea pig. I don't have the money or time for dry cleaning. I wash your clothes over and over and they look the same. 4. The price. Back to my life. I have a job that requires me to dress nice, go to meetings across the country and sometimes formal events. You have amazingly priced clothes for everything.

I used to shop at other stores and have switched completely for reasons 1, 3 and 4. First, the clothes are way overpriced, most don't work for business women and if I wash them, they FALL apart. The last two items I bought outside of your company had the hems fall within 2 wears. (This happens at many stores. This summer, after I lost weight I was excited to try JCrew. I paid $125 for a skirt and after one wear the hem fell and the lining shredded.) 5. The service. The ladies that work in the stores are always very pleasant and helpful. And, they treat me like they care - always hanging my clothes neatly to be sent home. That is my ramble for today. Again, thank you so much. I really love your brand and thought you should know.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I went to the Dressbarn in Moreno Valley, CA and was treated rudely and discriminated against. There was only one other customer, yet Araceli, the Hispanic clerk said "I'll take your stuff up by the cash register". I've shopped there before and they kindly offer to "start a dressing room". I was in jeans and had a larger than average purse. I realize she thought I was going to steal!! When I waited for her to retrieve my items so that I could try them on, she was too busy having a conversation with another employee. She knew there were no customers using the fitting room. I probably make 4-5 x's her income and don't steal! I will never shop at a Dressbarn again. I felt uncomfortable.

Original review: April 27, 2016

After shopping about 10 days early, I returned to the store to pick up a special order of pants and to return a pair of pants that was a poor fit. Was IMMEDIATELY accused of having worn the pants -- with tags -- that I was attempting to return. Associate was rude and couldn't deal with my indignation so summoned her manager. The manager asked me, (and I quote), "Are you the one that is making my employee stressed?" She went on to insinuate that there was cat hair on the pants. There wasn't. What a pair (not the pants, the DressBarn employees). I can see from the other reviews that poor customer service is a hallmark of DressBarn. I shopped there for years BUT had never attempted to return anything. Like the other complaint reviews, it was the utter rudeness of the associates that was the kicker. Be advised, that is all I can say.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I purchased an item at Dressbarn that I decided not to keep and never even wore it. I went back the very next day to return the item. When I took the item out of the bag, I somehow lost the tags that were not attached any longer. I told the lady at the counter that they must have fallen out at home or in my car that I would look for them and bring them back. The lady said that they could not take them back because even if I found the tags, they were not still attached to the garment and it was policy not to take them back unless the tags were still attached. I explained to the lady that the tags had fallen off the item when I tried them on in the dressing room the day before and that the lady who cashed me out said it wasn't a problem and just scanned the price and threw the loose tags in the bag with the item.

This very rude lady then told me that all employees reattach the tags before a customer leaves so there is no problem with returns. I was so upset at this point! This rude person was basically calling me a liar! I again told her that the lady did NOT reattach the tags and that I walked out of the store with them like that. She pushed the item back at me and said she would not accept them without tags. I felt so disrespected as a customer. I drove all the way home and looked everywhere and of course I couldn't find them so I'm stuck with merchandise I will never use. At that point, however, I was more upset they treated me so badly. I was looking forward to purchasing some of the wonderfully colorful blouses they had there and now I will never step foot in that store again! Customer Service is outrageous!

Original review: April 9, 2016

I use to love going to Dressbarn getting outfits for work, but there's a young lady who's always very rude (Marquita). So I will not continue to shop where I constantly get attitude.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I use to buy from Dressbarn all the time. I have the credit card and I use to spend a lot of money there. I bought 2 suits for my new job. I started having trouble with the pants immediately. The hem came out on the one pair and the button came off the other pair. I bought 2 pairs of the same pants. The brand was Jones Company. This is a brand that they carry. The quality is awful. I called and spoke to the manager. She told me to bring them in, but couldn't promise anything. Well, I could tell by her attitude that I would be wasting my time. I took the pants and had them fixed $25 later. They lost me forever as a customer. I hope they are happy. I will never step into another dressbarn again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

While shopping at Dressbarn, my 9 year-old daughter needed to use the restroom. She asked the associate where the restroom was and was told if she had to use the restroom, she would have to leave the store to go to the Bed, Bath and Beyond that was located in the same strip mall. So, it's okay for me to spend hundreds of dollars at your store within the last year, but my daughter was not allowed to use your bathroom. Shame on you, Dressbarn!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

On December 5th 2015 I ordered a gift card for my daughter for Christmas. It travels by FedEx to the city I live in then FedEx takes to local post office for deliver. It showed it was to be delivered on the 16th. Never showed. Check status again and it said delivery was pending. Waited a couple of days and no gift card. Printed off FedEx info and took to post office. They showed that it had not been delivered to them from FedEx. Contacted FedEx, they were no help. Contacted dress barn for help. Just told me to contact post office which they don't read either because I told them I had already contact post office and FedEx. Smartpost will not stand behind this post so guess my daughter is out of a Christmas gift. Will never buy another thing from Dress Barn. They are a rip off. Got their money and don't care about customer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I purchased a faux leather jacket online and had it delivered to the store for pick up. When I checked out online I had an option to use a credit card or PayPal. I used PayPal and what a mistake. I tried to return the jacket back to the store because it does not lay right when you have it on and I was told that because I used PayPal that I could only get store credit. When I got back home I went on live chat and ask why it was that way and they said PayPal is third party. I stated that they should have that on the web page and I was told they did. They provided me with the web address and I went to that site and could not find anything explaining that if you use PayPal you can only get store credit! On top of that when I ask why on live chat they replied to me like it was all my fault. No apology at all! I will not shop there again!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

The WORST experience ever! They couldn't look my card up because it became deactivated after not being used for a while. The clerk treated me like a SUB-Human. I called the main number to rectify it and after 45 minutes on hold and switching to several different reps they still could not find my information to send me a new card! I am so done with this store. The other thing that irritates me is how unbelievably snotty and stuck up all of the help is in every location I have ever stepped foot in. It's pretty consistent. They have more than earned their bad reputation for poor customer service and "better than you" attitude that their minimum wage clerks give you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I went to the Temecula store on 08/08/2015, found an amazing dress, and placed it on hold. While I was there I tried on the dress and I was speaking with one of the associates about the item. Midst conversation she turned to a different customer acknowledged that the item they were trying on was beautiful, and then walked away from me. I placed the item on hold, returned to the store to retrieve the item on the same day, and there were two register associates helping customers, so I waited in line.

Once they were both completed, they both walked away as I stood at the counter. I began looking around to see where the associates had gone, and when one finally returned she stated "Sorry I had to put some clothes away". We then informed her that we were picking up an item that we had placed on hold, and we finally had the opportunity to check out. This is my first time to the Temecula store. I have shopped at the Lake Elsinore store, and their customer service is amazing. I will NEVER return to the Temecula store again, until they get an entirely new team of associates!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

THIS EVIL, TREACHEROUS PLACE HAS CAUSE MY BEST FRIEND TO PROFUSELY STREAM WATER FROM HER EYEBALLS!!! The devil himself is APPALLED by the behavior of the staff. This is a disgrace & not only makes the store look bad, but the entire human race. The human race is ashamed. The human race has been heavily degraded. The human race is looking for an apology.

Dressbarn Company Information