3.8/5 (482 ratings)

About Dressbarn

Dressbarn Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dressbarn?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dressbarn?

Original review: July 14, 2022

I bought a dress for a wedding, I bought it on July 4th because they offered a sale, turns out they were over pricing it because now the dress is half the price. I tried canceling it and got no response and they shipped it out. I figured I would just try it and stop trying to contact. That was a mistake, they not only sent me the wrong dress, it was wrinkled beyond fixing and was thinner than paper. My underwear was visible upon wearing it and in no way worth 140 dollars!!

I tried contacting them multiple times and they ignored 5 of my tickets, the man on the phone told me I would get a gift card and I almost freaked but politely told him I tried to cancel the order within hours of completing the purchase PLUS its the wrong freaking dress!! He promised to credit my bank back. I sent it back promptly and it got to them within two days. They let this sit for at least 7 business days, he promised a credit within 5 to 6 days at least. I contacted them immediately and the support person gave me a credit of 120 bucks. Less than what I paid. NEVER BUY FROM DRESSBARN UNLESS IN A STORE, THE ONLINE STORE IS A SCAM!!! DRESSES ARE NOT AS PICTURED. BE WARNED! I will be disputing with my bank and made a complaint with BBB. Do better

Original review: July 9, 2022

Don't buy clothes from Dressbarn, the quality is horrible. I bought a dress for $153 and it looks like my Grandmother kitchen curtains. I try to return it. They said they only give me store credit. I'm calling the customer affairs.

Original review: July 8, 2022

The online store is a joke, do not shop with them. I have had decent luck at the physical stores so thought it would be a good option for an online purchase. I bought a dress, a skirt, and two shirts. None of them were of good quality, all workmanship was shoddy and the fabrics were thin and cheap. I knew they had a strict return policy so I immediately reached out to customer service to begin the return process. I got an immediate response saying they were working on the return but have not heard another word from them. I have responded to the email over 8 times asking for more information and have not received a response. Now I am over the 30 days they give for returns. I reached out again through the website and still no response. I am very dissatisfied with my experience and would not recommend shopping online with Dressbarn to anyone.

Original review: June 14, 2022

If you have a physical store to shop at, I recommend that over shopping online. If you make a return, they only give you store credit. I understood this from the beginning which was fine until I received my order. Their clothes are cheap and sizing is all over the place. I returned EVERYTHING 2x and the third time, I found 1 thing I liked out of over 200.00 spent. They allow 30 days to return. I was so burned out dealing with them, decided to just donate it to Charity. I'm sure that's what they love to hear. They got your money either way. Never again. May the force be with you if you decide to give it a try!!

Original review: May 27, 2022

Returns are not refunded. You are given a gift card. What a joke! This is the only company I ever dealt with that does this! Do not order from this company!!! They will NOT refund your hard earned money!

Original review: May 10, 2022

I will never buy anything from this store again. I purchased a dress 2 months ago, never got an email saying it was shipped. I had to send an email asking and they said they did not have my size anymore and issued me store credit for the $60.00 I spent. I ordered another dress and they did the same thing. I had to reach out again and this time they issued me store credit for $40.00....(less than what I actually spent). How is that even correct!!!. I told them to keep their credit. Never again!!

Original review: March 29, 2022

I ordered a dress and upon receiving it, it was too small. I called to start a return. I was not aware their return policy is so very antiquated and is for store credit only. I repeatedly asked if I could receive my money back, as I had to buy another dress for my daughter's wedding, and had no more money. I was very polite, but firm. After finally agreeing for the return shipping label to be sent to me, I hung up. A week later I receive a notice that my "Subscription" was being shipped! I clicked the link to cancel whatever this is that I did NOT order, and couldn't log in because I had never created an account in the first place. I then find $9.99 debited from my bank account for what, I do not know. I have reached out to them in an email, and have yet to receive any answer. STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: March 18, 2022

Buyer Beware! I’ve had nothing but headaches with Dressbarn. I initially purchased a kimono top. It came damaged (had snag) so sent it back. Many days wasted to finally get the shipping label. They don’t refund your money even if their fault. I had to chase down my credit. I finally decided to order a pair of pants and use my credit. They sent me the wrong size! Again had to waste so much time to return due to a dressbarn mistake. I still haven’t gotten the new credit or correct size pants. I would never buy anything again from them. The worst experience. I can’t imagine they will be around for long.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Dressbarn return policy is antiquated. Considering they are competing with a huge number of online outlets, the option to only be refunded via a gift certificate is unbelievable. Also the $9.99/month rewards club is a joke. The rewards club only covers return postage of items for which they will only give you a gift card. I have had to cancel it twice because every time you visit the site it is automatically applied.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I purchased several items from Dressbarn for my wife as Christmas presents. I ordered early due to the possibility of shipping/product delays. By the time Christmas arrived and she opened the presents, some of the items did not fit her. We contacted this hack of a company, only for them to tell us about their 30 day return policy. Actually, all she wanted to do was exchange them for the right size. Never have we experience a problem with exchanging or returning Christmas presents with any company we've ordered from. We have ordered from this company for many years. Needless to say, I will never use or recommend this business again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I bought two pairs of pants. They sent me one pair of pants and a dress. Before I could return the dress, they made me take a picture of the dress and send it to them to prove to them I wasn't lying. They treated me like I was a liar! Then I just wanted to return the whole order because I wanted nothing to do with them at that point. They wouldn't refund my money. I just got store credit. I'll never do business with them again. And you wonder why Amazon is doing so well?! This business sucks. Stay away from them!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I find it completely ridiculous that an online clothing company has a no refund policy. Are you serious with this crap? You can only get store credit, and they make you pay to send things back, but totally bury these facts when purchasing. If you try to contact them prepare to be ghosted as if they never existed in the first place.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I purchased the items thinking I could return them as per the Dressbarn return policies, since I drive past a Dressbarn store. When I arrived there to find it was empty when I attempted to return some items. I discovered on that Dressbarn.com is no longer the original Dressbarn. Per CEO Dressbarn shoppers receive a QR code to enable box-, label-, and contact-free returns for an immediate refund or exchange.... "Happy Returns is a natural fit for our e-commerce-first strategy," Dressbarn CEO Shayan Zadeh said in the release. Sept 17, 2020. That is a lie!!

The product is NOT Dressbarn quality. I received merchandise I did not order. The return procedure is deceptive as well. One must wait until they send (after several requests) a return label. Then the consumer is responsible for any shipping costs above what is on the return label. Each separate order must be packaged and mailed separately increasing the shipping costs. To date I have received no response from Dressbarn.com if they received the items or if my account will be credited or if I have $542.60 worth gift cards or credit which I would never use on this deceptive website. (I know through tracking they did receive all my returns). I cannot imagine that in today's ecommerce world that many consumers will tolerate the deception of using Dressbarn as their name and offering such terrible customer service and policies.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I bought a couple of dresses from Dress Barn and I returned two dresses them completely unworn, with tags, in original packaging. They will not refund my money instead they gave me a store credit. I called and they refuse to refund me, and all this time I am waiting for a credit to my credit card. I think this is a horrible business practice!! Don't waste your time or your money. Customer service was unapologetically curt and they don't care if you are satisfied or not. Shop at Macy's!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I had to return the dress I got from DressBarn They refused my refund back to my original payment instead they give me store credit. In addition I was also was charged for monthly membership fee $9.99. They are cheating customers. Don't buy anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I will never purchase here again! I shopped here often when their brick and mortar stores were open, but the company running their online business is a scam. I purchased a dress which did not fit, they did not have the correct size in stock and will not give me my money back only a useless "store credit". Trying to reach anyone in customer service by e-mail is a joke, all they do is respond with form letters offering you a 150% credit. Since I would never consider purchasing there again that is useless to me. To top it all off I found the same dress online at Target for much cheaper.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Beware of their "membership" that automatically goes in your cart and will reappear without you selecting it. It is a monthly subscription. It appears to purchase a free return policy - but it only purchases a "free" shipping label for returns (that you pay $10 a month for if you spend enough money). You cannot get your money back. EVER. You can ONLY get in-store credit, and since they have no storefront, you may be exchanging things forever to get something that fits. The wording of the Rewards Member Benefits appears to offer a return rather than only an exchange...but that only refers to the shipping. So unless you shop at Dress Barn like every week, this is NOT worth much and the manner in which they aggressively shove it in your shopping cart is annoying (I removed it more than once).

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I ordered a few items for my mom, and four days later I was informed one item was out of stock. Since they already charged my credit card for this out of stock item, I requested a refund. Unfortunately, I did not know in advance that Dressbarn does not like to give refunds, even when it’s their fault. Instead, they give you store credit or a gift card.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission states: If the seller doesn’t ship your order, it has to give you a full refund - not just a gift card or store credit. I see from the many reviews I’ve read, that it’s common practice for Dressbarn to accept a customer’s order and money, then notify the customer the item is no longer available, and not refund the customer’s money. Store credit is not a refund. It’s a very shady way to generate revenue and it feels like a scam.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Back in May I ordered a petite small dress and received a petite extra large in the wrong color. I used the store credit to order again and got another extra large in the same wrong color. So they made the same exact mistake twice in a row and would not give a refund even though they were the ones who made a mistake. Twice. A reasonable return policy would make an exception for an obvious store mistake. I ended up buying workout pants instead and luckily got the size and color I ordered. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Warning all of you not to make the same mistake. I have shopped at this store for years. Their Policy has always been that if you order online you can return to the store and you get your money back. Since they closed their brick and mortar stores now all of the sudden they are saying their policy is only to give store credit. SO you give them your money, if it doesn't fit, they keep your money. They lost me as a customer, never again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I live in NJ - sales tax is not collected on apparel. I ordered just a shirt, which is tax exempt and was charged sales tax. I emailed Customer Service, asking for a refund of the tax with a screenshot from the NJ government website explaining which items are/are not taxable. I got a reply from Dress Barn stating that the discount code in effect had already been applied when the order was placed, and the additional charges were tax and shipping. So, since email did not produce a satisfactory answer, I called Customer Support which appears to be an offshore call center staffed by people with a poor command of English.

The “agent” kept repeating that the company doesn’t keep the tax money, but sends it to the government. So, it would appear Dress Barn is collecting sales tax from NJ residents on non-taxable items. I’m sure many people overlook it, since it’s often a small amount, which is how they get away with it. I highly doubt that money is paid to the state. I’ve never had this happen before when ordering clothing online. I’ll not order from them again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

You have to call them to get a return label. Call center; hard to understand people. Spend time on the phone to get a label only to find out that I will only get a "credit" and I will not get my money back. I will not buy from them again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I purchased a dress for a wedding that ended up not happening. The dress has been returned to the company for more than a month now and I am still waiting on my refund. I requested my money back to my card due to poor customer service and the fact that I will never shop with this company again. They offered me 150% refund as store credit. No. Please refund my money- I have been waiting since June!! After multiple emails, the issue is still not resolved. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with in a company

Original review: July 31, 2021

I ordered 2 masks and a dress in March. First I got only the masks and entire order marked delivered. Contacted company. Dress arrived a week or so later - but was not the dress I ordered. I contacted support. They asked me to send a photo of what I received. Didn't hear anything back after I sent photo until May. I was told it was deemed an "incident" and would get back to me. A little over a week later he writes back saying I passed the 30 day return period. I told him it was because I didn't hear back for over 30 days when I first contacted them. I wrote a bad review on a Facebook ad and got a quick email from the company saying they would get back to me. That was in early June. I got an email today saying they are sorry my order didn't ship yet.. Do I still want it? Ugh.

The dress I got was not the old Dressbarn quality. It was thin material, no style or shape. Horrible. I believe that when Dressbarn stores went out of business this company bought the name but is nothing like the stores were. Horrible quality and worse customer support. I'm out $99 and don't want that to happen to anyone else. (P.S. After my comments on FB, they deleted my comments.. then they stopped allowing comments on ads.)

Original review: July 26, 2021

Buyer beware!!!! Scam site!!!! Do not order from this company. I ordered three pair of pants in different colors in a specific size. I received 3 pair of black pants in different sizes. One size was correct so I did keep those. I contacted customer service online with no response so I called in. I was told I would need to mail back the incorrect items with a prepaid label which I did not receive so I had to call in again the next day. The pants were sent via UPS but the label was for USPS so I needed to go to the post office, purchase an envelope and send them back.

I then tried again and ordered the pants in an olive green. A week later a black pair in the wrong size were received. Back on the phone and was told the same thing, send them back, prepaid label etc. At this point, I was done and wanted a refund. This company does not issue refunds and I was issued a gift card which is absolutely ridiculous for an e commerce clothing site. In the interim I requested to speak to someone in management and did receive a call back that day from Mo in Texas, who seemed understanding and asked me to give them another shot and he would personally guarantee that the correct color and size would be sent out. I agreed and after two weeks of waiting received the pants today. I received another pair in black and they are the wrong size again.

I called in for a fourth time and was told to take a picture of the merchandise (what?) and I would receive a label and to please return the pants. Are you freaking serious? (support@dressbarn) does not respond to emails for weeks, if at all. I am now out seventy dollars I am not going to the post office for a third time for the incompetence of a company that does not know the difference between colors and sizes. I have given this company numerous chances to make this right and they have failed miserably. Never in my life have I had an experience like this and will now be hitting social media (where they can't remove this because I know this will be taken down immediately).

I will also be contacting the BBB although I doubt this company is accredited. Save your money and your sanity, when all was said and done I contacted them via email at least 3 times (no response), spoke to 4 different CSR's, spoke to a manager twice on the phone and I still do not have the correct merchandise or any type of compensation. I do not want their gift card as I will never do business with this company again. They need to be shut down. The icing on the cake was Jason, the last CSR telling me I was not being logical. What a joke. I just hope I can save someone else from being scammed.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I would not recommend purchasing from this company. I ordered a dress and after a month of no update and no delivery I called. They told me it is out of stock and offered me a store credit. I looked and could not find anything else that I wanted so I requested a refund. They will not refund and reiterated that I would be receiving a store credit. This is completely unacceptable business practice.

Original review: July 13, 2021

If you need to return or exchange an item, they will NOT credit back to your credit card - they will only offer a store credit, minus shipping charges. This might be OK if you continue to shop with them, but not favorable when you need to go elsewhere to find the item you need. In my situation, a top (which according to their sizing chart should have fit) ran small, and I wanted to exchange it. The site said there was little inventory, to order soon. To use their store credit, I would have had to wait for them to receive my return before I could order the size I needed.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have had a very bad experience with Dressbarn Faux Three-Piece Pant Set with Sparkle Top and Sheer Cardigan. I tried the outfit on. It fit well and looked great. I chose to wear it when I attended a religious ceremony for the graduation of my granddaughter. The problem became evident on the way to the event, as the glitter that embellished the outfit began to fall from the material at an alarming rate. The glitter covered the car seat and the floor where I sat. I hoped that would be just preliminary shedding of the glitter. It was not. Glitter covered the seat I had at the ceremony.

Glitter fell from the outfit in a stream as I made my way to the reception after the ceremony. My hands were covered with glitter, which then travelled to my face as well as the glass I drank from and the hors d’oeuvres I ate. This was a true embarrassment, as my family and several strangers made note of the situation. We had to have the car detailed to keep the glitter from getting on the children’s hands as they ride in the car, knowing glitter has the potential to enter and damage sensitive parts of eyes.

I wrote to Dressbarn using the above description and the reply was that their rule states we can only return clothing unused and with tags on. No matter that the defect was not known until the material was worn. I called customer service and got the same statement. No refund, no matter how horrible my experience was when wearing the outfit. I told customer service I have never written such a negative review. The answer was they want customers to express their opinion, positive or negative. Just don’t expect a refund.

Original review: July 3, 2021

TERRIBLE experience! If I could give a negative number I would. Description and picture of dress was SO off. Customer service was awful and returns are ONLY in store credit. They don’t like to tell you that bit of information until you are ready to return. I will never order from this company again and want to spread the word. Buy elsewhere!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

I agree with all the other one-star reviews. I placed an order online 6/14/21 and my card was charged the same day. (It was not just an authorization, it was an actual charge.) The website says everything on the site is in stock and ships same day if ordered before noon eastern time. After not receiving a tracking number over a week later, I called and was told my order was delayed but was shipping out that day. Okay, fine.

I still got no tracking number by the next day and sent an email. The reply (a couple days later) said that the item was in fact out of stock and the order had been canceled. Obviously this is completely conflicting info to what the phone agent said. I replied saying to refund my card. They replied (another couple of days later) offering me 150% gift card for exchange. I replied AGAIN saying I just want my money back on my Mastercard. Still no reply. It is now 6/25, no dress and no refund and they have had my money for 11 days on something that was supposed to have shipped on 6/14. Terrible company! Do not shop here. It is not the same company as the original DressBarn.

Dressbarn Company Information