3.7/5 (268 ratings)

About Dressbarn

Dressbarn Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dressbarn?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dressbarn?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I bought a couple of dresses from Dress Barn and I returned two dresses them completely unworn, with tags, in original packaging. They will not refund my money instead they gave me a store credit. I called and they refuse to refund me, and all this time I am waiting for a credit to my credit card. I think this is a horrible business practice!! Don't waste your time or your money. Customer service was unapologetically curt and they don't care if you are satisfied or not. Shop at Macy's!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I had to return the dress I got from DressBarn They refused my refund back to my original payment instead they give me store credit. In addition I was also was charged for monthly membership fee $9.99. They are cheating customers. Don't buy anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I will never purchase here again! I shopped here often when their brick and mortar stores were open, but the company running their online business is a scam. I purchased a dress which did not fit, they did not have the correct size in stock and will not give me my money back only a useless "store credit". Trying to reach anyone in customer service by e-mail is a joke, all they do is respond with form letters offering you a 150% credit. Since I would never consider purchasing there again that is useless to me. To top it all off I found the same dress online at Target for much cheaper.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Beware of their "membership" that automatically goes in your cart and will reappear without you selecting it. It is a monthly subscription. It appears to purchase a free return policy - but it only purchases a "free" shipping label for returns (that you pay $10 a month for if you spend enough money). You cannot get your money back. EVER. You can ONLY get in-store credit, and since they have no storefront, you may be exchanging things forever to get something that fits. The wording of the Rewards Member Benefits appears to offer a return rather than only an exchange...but that only refers to the shipping. So unless you shop at Dress Barn like every week, this is NOT worth much and the manner in which they aggressively shove it in your shopping cart is annoying (I removed it more than once).

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I ordered a few items for my mom, and four days later I was informed one item was out of stock. Since they already charged my credit card for this out of stock item, I requested a refund. Unfortunately, I did not know in advance that Dressbarn does not like to give refunds, even when it’s their fault. Instead, they give you store credit or a gift card.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission states: If the seller doesn’t ship your order, it has to give you a full refund - not just a gift card or store credit. I see from the many reviews I’ve read, that it’s common practice for Dressbarn to accept a customer’s order and money, then notify the customer the item is no longer available, and not refund the customer’s money. Store credit is not a refund. It’s a very shady way to generate revenue and it feels like a scam.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Back in May I ordered a petite small dress and received a petite extra large in the wrong color. I used the store credit to order again and got another extra large in the same wrong color. So they made the same exact mistake twice in a row and would not give a refund even though they were the ones who made a mistake. Twice. A reasonable return policy would make an exception for an obvious store mistake. I ended up buying workout pants instead and luckily got the size and color I ordered. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Warning all of you not to make the same mistake. I have shopped at this store for years. Their Policy has always been that if you order online you can return to the store and you get your money back. Since they closed their brick and mortar stores now all of the sudden they are saying their policy is only to give store credit. SO you give them your money, if it doesn't fit, they keep your money. They lost me as a customer, never again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I live in NJ - sales tax is not collected on apparel. I ordered just a shirt, which is tax exempt and was charged sales tax. I emailed Customer Service, asking for a refund of the tax with a screenshot from the NJ government website explaining which items are/are not taxable. I got a reply from Dress Barn stating that the discount code in effect had already been applied when the order was placed, and the additional charges were tax and shipping. So, since email did not produce a satisfactory answer, I called Customer Support which appears to be an offshore call center staffed by people with a poor command of English.

The “agent” kept repeating that the company doesn’t keep the tax money, but sends it to the government. So, it would appear Dress Barn is collecting sales tax from NJ residents on non-taxable items. I’m sure many people overlook it, since it’s often a small amount, which is how they get away with it. I highly doubt that money is paid to the state. I’ve never had this happen before when ordering clothing online. I’ll not order from them again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

You have to call them to get a return label. Call center; hard to understand people. Spend time on the phone to get a label only to find out that I will only get a "credit" and I will not get my money back. I will not buy from them again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I purchased a dress for a wedding that ended up not happening. The dress has been returned to the company for more than a month now and I am still waiting on my refund. I requested my money back to my card due to poor customer service and the fact that I will never shop with this company again. They offered me 150% refund as store credit. No. Please refund my money- I have been waiting since June!! After multiple emails, the issue is still not resolved. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with in a company

Original review: July 31, 2021

I ordered 2 masks and a dress in March. First I got only the masks and entire order marked delivered. Contacted company. Dress arrived a week or so later - but was not the dress I ordered. I contacted support. They asked me to send a photo of what I received. Didn't hear anything back after I sent photo until May. I was told it was deemed an "incident" and would get back to me. A little over a week later he writes back saying I passed the 30 day return period. I told him it was because I didn't hear back for over 30 days when I first contacted them. I wrote a bad review on a Facebook ad and got a quick email from the company saying they would get back to me. That was in early June. I got an email today saying they are sorry my order didn't ship yet.. Do I still want it? Ugh.

The dress I got was not the old Dressbarn quality. It was thin material, no style or shape. Horrible. I believe that when Dressbarn stores went out of business this company bought the name but is nothing like the stores were. Horrible quality and worse customer support. I'm out $99 and don't want that to happen to anyone else. (P.S. After my comments on FB, they deleted my comments.. then they stopped allowing comments on ads.)

Original review: July 26, 2021

Buyer beware!!!! Scam site!!!! Do not order from this company. I ordered three pair of pants in different colors in a specific size. I received 3 pair of black pants in different sizes. One size was correct so I did keep those. I contacted customer service online with no response so I called in. I was told I would need to mail back the incorrect items with a prepaid label which I did not receive so I had to call in again the next day. The pants were sent via UPS but the label was for USPS so I needed to go to the post office, purchase an envelope and send them back.

I then tried again and ordered the pants in an olive green. A week later a black pair in the wrong size were received. Back on the phone and was told the same thing, send them back, prepaid label etc. At this point, I was done and wanted a refund. This company does not issue refunds and I was issued a gift card which is absolutely ridiculous for an e commerce clothing site. In the interim I requested to speak to someone in management and did receive a call back that day from Mo in Texas, who seemed understanding and asked me to give them another shot and he would personally guarantee that the correct color and size would be sent out. I agreed and after two weeks of waiting received the pants today. I received another pair in black and they are the wrong size again.

I called in for a fourth time and was told to take a picture of the merchandise (what?) and I would receive a label and to please return the pants. Are you freaking serious? (support@dressbarn) does not respond to emails for weeks, if at all. I am now out seventy dollars I am not going to the post office for a third time for the incompetence of a company that does not know the difference between colors and sizes. I have given this company numerous chances to make this right and they have failed miserably. Never in my life have I had an experience like this and will now be hitting social media (where they can't remove this because I know this will be taken down immediately).

I will also be contacting the BBB although I doubt this company is accredited. Save your money and your sanity, when all was said and done I contacted them via email at least 3 times (no response), spoke to 4 different CSR's, spoke to a manager twice on the phone and I still do not have the correct merchandise or any type of compensation. I do not want their gift card as I will never do business with this company again. They need to be shut down. The icing on the cake was Jason, the last CSR telling me I was not being logical. What a joke. I just hope I can save someone else from being scammed.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I would not recommend purchasing from this company. I ordered a dress and after a month of no update and no delivery I called. They told me it is out of stock and offered me a store credit. I looked and could not find anything else that I wanted so I requested a refund. They will not refund and reiterated that I would be receiving a store credit. This is completely unacceptable business practice.

Original review: July 13, 2021

If you need to return or exchange an item, they will NOT credit back to your credit card - they will only offer a store credit, minus shipping charges. This might be OK if you continue to shop with them, but not favorable when you need to go elsewhere to find the item you need. In my situation, a top (which according to their sizing chart should have fit) ran small, and I wanted to exchange it. The site said there was little inventory, to order soon. To use their store credit, I would have had to wait for them to receive my return before I could order the size I needed.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have had a very bad experience with Dressbarn Faux Three-Piece Pant Set with Sparkle Top and Sheer Cardigan. I tried the outfit on. It fit well and looked great. I chose to wear it when I attended a religious ceremony for the graduation of my granddaughter. The problem became evident on the way to the event, as the glitter that embellished the outfit began to fall from the material at an alarming rate. The glitter covered the car seat and the floor where I sat. I hoped that would be just preliminary shedding of the glitter. It was not. Glitter covered the seat I had at the ceremony.

Glitter fell from the outfit in a stream as I made my way to the reception after the ceremony. My hands were covered with glitter, which then travelled to my face as well as the glass I drank from and the hors d’oeuvres I ate. This was a true embarrassment, as my family and several strangers made note of the situation. We had to have the car detailed to keep the glitter from getting on the children’s hands as they ride in the car, knowing glitter has the potential to enter and damage sensitive parts of eyes.

I wrote to Dressbarn using the above description and the reply was that their rule states we can only return clothing unused and with tags on. No matter that the defect was not known until the material was worn. I called customer service and got the same statement. No refund, no matter how horrible my experience was when wearing the outfit. I told customer service I have never written such a negative review. The answer was they want customers to express their opinion, positive or negative. Just don’t expect a refund.

Original review: July 3, 2021

TERRIBLE experience! If I could give a negative number I would. Description and picture of dress was SO off. Customer service was awful and returns are ONLY in store credit. They don’t like to tell you that bit of information until you are ready to return. I will never order from this company again and want to spread the word. Buy elsewhere!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

I agree with all the other one-star reviews. I placed an order online 6/14/21 and my card was charged the same day. (It was not just an authorization, it was an actual charge.) The website says everything on the site is in stock and ships same day if ordered before noon eastern time. After not receiving a tracking number over a week later, I called and was told my order was delayed but was shipping out that day. Okay, fine.

I still got no tracking number by the next day and sent an email. The reply (a couple days later) said that the item was in fact out of stock and the order had been canceled. Obviously this is completely conflicting info to what the phone agent said. I replied saying to refund my card. They replied (another couple of days later) offering me 150% gift card for exchange. I replied AGAIN saying I just want my money back on my Mastercard. Still no reply. It is now 6/25, no dress and no refund and they have had my money for 11 days on something that was supposed to have shipped on 6/14. Terrible company! Do not shop here. It is not the same company as the original DressBarn.

Original review: June 13, 2021

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY. I purchased an overpriced pair of pants from Dressbarn. These pants looked like sweatpants with pearls on them. The quality of the dress pants I thought I was ordering at a price in excess of $100 was not what I expected. When I tried to request a refund online, my only option was to exchange the item or to get an e-card (meaning I would have to use it on THE DRESSBARN WEBSITE ONLY). This is a sign of a company that is not a quality company or one that is in trouble, making the e-card worthless.

When I asked on 5/19/2021 to escalate the issue to upper management, I was told I would receive an e-mail reply within 24-48 hours. Instead, I receive the e-mail on 6/8/2021, 2 1/2 WEEKS later. In very bad English, the e-mail said I would receive "a 25% additional, but a 50% for the troubles if I prefer". I had to call them again to get clarification of what the e-mail meant. If you complain, they will give you an e-card valued at 150% of your purchase. They will NOT further escalate nor will they let you speak to someone in management directly about the issue. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Dressbarn will not credit the same form of payment. The item is defective and they want to charge me for shipping it back in the original packaging and only send a credit forcing the customer to buy more items from them… they have closed all their stores and are enforcing customers no alternative but to lose money if you decide to return the item..

Original review: June 9, 2021

Ordered a Dress for a wedding shower. Got a shipping confirmation. A week goes by and no dress. Check the tracking.... label was printed a week before but still hasn't even been shipped. Emailed twice. Finally got a response DAYS later. Dress not in stock. Good thing I emailed. Gave me STORE CREDIT. No other option. I really don't like their clothing. I'm also a 2xl so my options are limited. So by some grace of God I find another dress. Order it. Get a confirmation and shipping email. Fast forward to this morning. I check the tracking....SHIPPING LABEL CANCELED and dress I ordered isn't even on the website anymore. I have not received any notification that there is an issue. However the original one is still available to order and says it's in stock. 4 left in my size to be exact. Emailed company. Still no answer. I will never order anything from Dressbarn ever again.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I will never order anything from Dressbarn again. Their prices are a little higher for the same quality of clothing that I can get at a lower price from other places. I don't mind paying more if I get good customer service. And that's where Dressbarn fails miserably. Dressbarn charges shipping on all orders plus shipping on returns and only issues store credit - no getting your money back after paying shipping both directions and a higher price on the article of clothing.

Plus Dressbarn made sure returning an item wouldn't be easy. I had to create an account to see my order info. Under the order history for my account there was no return portal to be found anywhere. Finding their return policy and how to make a return requires an extensive search only to discover you have to call customer support to get a return label generated - without postage paid, of course. If you threw away the packaging your order came in you're out of luck. Returns must be shipped back in the original packaging within 30 days.

Original review: May 29, 2021

I always liked to shop at the Dressbarn stores and was disappointed when they closed. For one thing, their styles became focused on skinny jeans for teens rather than clothing for mature women. I believe that their online inventory is from all the closed stores. There are few sizes available and the clothes don't seem like new styles. Their quality has gone downhill. I ordered a pair of girlfriend jeans and didn't get a refund but a credit. So, I exchanged them for another size and was told they're not in stock about two months later. They had the nerve to give me another store credit instead of a full refund. It's their fault that the item is out of stock. I agree with the other reviewers that said an online store should give a refund because we can't use their store fitting rooms any more. I wrote them back to get a refund. We'll see what happens.

Original review: May 26, 2021

Buyer Beware. Please know before ordering that if it doesn’t fit, is defective, you will NOT be issued a refund. They will only give you a store credit, but this is not made clear when ordering. They tell you all about “Happy Returns” making it sound simple and easy but it is NOT. How can you order anything online with no hope of a refund if something isn’t right. This company’s business practices need to be looked in to. I feel it is not the DressBarn we were all familiar with when their stores were open. Did some foreign company buy their name?

Original review: May 19, 2021

I love, love, love Dressbarn and sorely miss it in my neighborhood. Our Dressbarn closed shortly before covid. It never failed that 'I couldn't walk by the store without being "lured" into buy something': another top (which I didn't need but had to have), scarf or other must-have. For a Plus sized woman, Dressbarn has the only clothes that aren't variations of cheap, matronly mumu. Dressbarn's clothes are designed for all sizes to be equally stylish.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I have never seen a bad return policy than this one. They just mention easy returns to trap customers into buying from their site. They do not give the payment back to your original payment method even after you return the product paying from your pocket. And all their stores in every state are permanently closed. So there is no way we can even return in store. Be prepared to lose your money if anything you order from here isn’t a good fit!!

Original review: May 4, 2021

Know before you buy anything that "Happy Returns" is just a name and not their practice. If you purchase something and it doesn't fit, you WILL NOT get your money back. You will only get store credit or the ability to swap what you purchased for something else. While they indicate "Happy Returns" it seems like they are so desperate to trap customers that they are not clear about their return policies up front. FYI - I also did not receive the 30% discount I was promised when I gave up both my email and phone number to this company. This company is not worth the trouble when it comes to giving up your private data/info. Steer clear.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I ordered 4 dresses. 2 of 2 different dresses in 2 different sizes as I was not sure which would fit best if at all. Well as it happens only one fit but did not look good on me so I went to return only to learn that they do not refund the money to the way you bought the items only exchanging and or egift card! Even if it is before the 30 day deadline! I learned that and am beyond pissed because I only want the money refunded to my card! Not a gift card, nowhere on the page when ordering does that mention anything about returns other than you have 30 days! Stay away from this company unless you only like gift cards. So upset!

Original review: April 16, 2021

I have never dealt with a company with worse customer service. They made an error and they're making me pay the price. Total frustration. I would recommend everyone shop anywhere else. Believe me, the clothes aren't worth the aggravation. I'm beginning to understand why the stores went under. No management.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I asked for a refund and was told by Adam and Saul (Dressbarn representative) that a supervisor would call and No One called. There is nothing I want from this place. Only my money returned to me. Not a credit! Calling counsel for sure.

Original review: April 14, 2021

This is not the original Dressbarn that was around for years in the retail space. Whoever purchased their name must be some offshore investor who has hired offshore customer service representatives. The company is disorganized, doesn't know their inventory, their representatives are difficult to understand and unhelpful. What a shame, but I will never shop with them again after having been a loyal Dress Barn customer for over 10 years!

Dressbarn Company Information