1.30/5

158 Banana Republic Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2019

Donna went above and beyond with helping me find my sizes and type of garment I was looking for. She made shopping a very enjoyable experience for me. I will definitely go back to the Bayview Village Banana Republic.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Banana Republic is by far my #1 clothing store! The prices are competitive and the quality of their clothing is top notch! The staff here is great as well, always there to help! Would highly recommend to anyone who wants classy clothing and great service!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I ordered some clothes online and they never arrived, so I called customer service. It turns out I had accidentally shipped them to an old address. The packages had been delivered and signed for, but I couldn't get them. It was completely my fault and I was ready to take the loss, but they very generously offered to ship me a new order to right address!! I was so happily surprised! And the best part is that there was almost no hold time on the phone at all. :)

Original review: June 7, 2019

(This is an email I sent to BR's customer service address yesterday. No response yet though the site says it could be up to five days.) I really hate writing this email. I happen to love Banana Republic; it was an aspirational brand for me as a young adult, and as a fully grown one, it represents quality clothing and enjoyable shopping. That ended for me today.

I visited the 59th and Lexington Avenue location in New York City. This morning, I had a wardrobe malfunction, so on my lunch hour, I figured I would make my way to that store and easily find a new option that would both solve my woes and make its way into my everyday wardrobe. What I found in this store was humiliating. I am not a small woman. This has never mattered before. I am zaftig, but I am stylish and confidently aware of my size as a working woman and mother. BR has always been my go-to as a well-fitting, classic, stylish staple.

Today, for the first time in this store, I found nothing — nothing! — in a size 16; one or two items in a size 14 or XL; almost nothing in a 12 or L; very rarely a 10; and 8s galore. And not one salesperson found me worthy of a greeting. I have never in this store been treated in such a way. No, I am not slim, but I have the money to spend. But not today. I left after 20 minutes, bewildered that my favorite brand had abandoned me. Next door to my office is Bloomingdale's. I skip that store in favor of yours, or online shopping. Today I was... ashamed of myself. Instead of finding my size — or anything close! — Today, I found mostly 8s and 2s. This was new in my experience at your stores. Is this a new approach? Because in an age of inclusion and other options, I am more than willing to take my money — and my taste — elsewhere while canceling my Banana Republic card.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I earned rewards so I used them to buy 8 dresses. Four of the dresses were too tight in the chest so I needed to exchange up one size. They said I would owe $99 to exchange the dresses and one was out of stock. I used my rewards when I bought the dresses so they said they would not honor them on the exchange. One of the dresses was out of stock so I would owe them money to return it!! Those are rewards I earned from spending on their card!! I will never shop with this company again and I am going to share the with everyone I can possibly reach. What a terrible customer experience. Who does this in this day and time. My money will be worth more at their direct competitor!! I ended up keeping the items, I will have to sell them online to get my money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banana Republic?

Original review: May 29, 2019

I bought this garment (https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=444970002&cid=1132003&pcid=1051540) (and a super cute bikini) and was super excited to take it on a couple of upcoming sunny destination vacations. The first day of the first vacation, I brought it out to wear around the pool. Within two hours, a seam on the front of the garment had come completely undone, leaving a gaping hole in the front. I was without a wrap for the rest of the trip. The worst part of this was the experience I had when returning it to the store. The clerks told me right away that they would not refund my money, first telling me that the garment wasn't made by Banana Republic (until I showed them my receipt) then explaining that because I had worn it (even for two hours) that it looked worn and had no tags on it, so they would not return it.

I admitted I had worn it briefly by the pool (that I was excited to wear it!) but that I really had just purchased it and that it seemed to be decomposing. The second clerk went to the general manager who was in the back office somewhere - this person never came to speak with me or to look at the garment - and returned to repeat that they were not going to refund my money. A third clerk, hearing my upset, came to actually look at the garment. She picked it up and looked at the seam on the other side of the hole. One light tug and the whole thing fell apart. That third clerk insisted they refund my money. I am grateful to that woman. That would have been $200 thrown away. But I am exceptionally disappointed with Banana Republic at this point. Poor poor quality clothing and exceptionally poor service, which hasn't always been my experience. I've spent a lot of money at this company over the years, and I am now considering whether I will shop at Banana Republic ever again.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I ordered a matching pants and jacket suit. I received the jacket and a few days later received an e-mail stating the pants were no long available. I have no use for the jacket without the pants, so I asked if they could just substitute a regular length pant instead of the long length pant. The regular length pant was available on their website, but they were not able to substitute. They gave me a code to save 20% on the regular pant and order it myself, but with the code the regular length pant cost $25 more than the long pant I ordered. The sale price had expired and the code only saved me 20%, but when I ordered the pants they were on sale for 50% off. I refuse to pay an extra $25 because they aren't willing to fill my order with a different length pant. I'm returning the jacket. I'm really disappointed and will never shop there again.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The people I have spoke with thus far have been very nice, and totally unhelpful. I made a two online purchases (which both were delayed in shipping) and returned two of the items. Six weeks after I have sent my returns I am still making calls for them to credit my account. I have sent them screenshots of the parcels shipment confirmation and they simply say sorry. I have yet to receive any refund and have spent many hours on phone calls and being disconnected. I will not be ordering online from this company again.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Banana Republic double processed and then cancelled my order—taking longer than 5 days to drop the charge from Athleta's Synchrony credit card company. As a result, hours were spent with confused and poorly communication phone support people who could not answer why it was charged twice, then cancelled, and still reflecting on my credit card activity!!! Don’t bother getting Banana Republic’s people to call Synchrony for authorization to release the charge, they’ll just drop the call 20 minutes after you’ve waited for a 3-way phone conference. And they think a 20% discount code is going to make up for the lost time and frustration. Time to close this account.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Ordered two things. One cancelled while on phone with Louis. Promised refund cancelled order. But instead he double charged my credit card! Promised me email reflecting this. When I called back Jenny could not help and when asked for her manager she hung up. Katie said "Too much for me". Could not answer simple questions about her own company. I urge anyone ordering from this company online to be very careful as they will double charge and make empty promises. Kinda like fraud!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I applied for Banana Republic credit card. At the store they promise to give an extra percent off but you never get the amount they promise. From the moment I used it has been two months I have never gotten a bill. You have to constantly call them so I can send you a bill then they say that they sent you the bill through another bank which is synchrony Bank. They refused to send you a bill either by mail or email so they could charge you a late fee. I do not recommend this card. It does not have any benefits for it. Even the awards that they promise you get a hard time for you to get them and they only give it to you towards Banana Republic and it's not like other credit cards. I do not recommend this credit card.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I wish I had read the online reviews before I placed an order with Banana Republic. I thought I could trust a company that is owned by The Gap. I have been waiting a month for a refund of the items I returned. Every time I call in, I get the same runaround. I will not be ordering online from this company ever again much less shopping there.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I used this card exclusively for 5 years and had no problems until it got stolen and the thieves started making payments larger than my account balance from some strange bank which I have never done and then would turn around within 5 minutes and spend that 17K at an Apple store in AZ. This went on for over a week with 3 fraudulent payments made that never cleared and my bal ended up being 32K!!!! I had to call them and tell them about it and they were surprise... WOW. They have now closed my new account due to bounced payments on the card that was stolen!! I have impeccable credit or had. I have no idea what is going to happen now. I spoke to someone yesterday who said, "We will look it and you should have an answer from us in 3 months." WTH!! Worst credit card ever!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I bought a dress online using Rewards dollars from Banana Republic credit card. I had to return the dress and I was told that it would take a couple of billing cycles for the Rewards $ to be credited to my account. I waited three billing cycles, but the Rewards were never credited. I spent 2 hours on the phone today with six different people from Comenity Bank. In the end Laura, the manager, told me that the research department will look into this and I should hear from them in two months. The lack of ability for Comenity Bank to "see" the mistake is unacceptable. I hold Banana Republic responsible for a "rewards" system that doesn't follow through with returns. Funny - the salesman at the Banana store told me I might have problems getting my rewards $ back.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have returned 3 items 2 weeks ago and their customer service doesn't acknowledge the returns at all. They haven't processed my returns and do not answer my e-mails even after I sent them the proof of the post office stating the items have arrived in their facility centre 15 days ago. I don't know if I will ever get my money back. Do not recommend ordering in Europe at all.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased a 9 items of Jewelry. Suddenly only 1 item delivered. Communicating to their customers service representative who are not friendly and treated you as all favors are with them. They are 100% unaccommodated customers service. For almost 3 weeks of waiting all the items you expect to deliver you got shock for cancellation. No emails you will receive that they will cancel your orders. Don't believe with their shipping free too. Those are lies. I felt totally upset of what I experienced in Banana Republic.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I recently did all of my holiday shopping online with BR and was very happy with most of time items I received, however the jeans I ordered didn't fit and needed to be returned. So I went in store to return them and they were able to return them no problem. HOWEVER, I input my email for them to send me a receipt of my transaction. Now, 6 days later I do not have a receipt and the return was never deposited. Now I am completely helpless and I have no evidence for what happened and no way to get my money back. The cashier at BR was being careless and didn't fully make sure the transaction went through. I'm not sure what happened but from now on I will always be asking for a receipt. PS: If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to get my money back, that would be helpful.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased an item from BR and accidentally forgot to put in my apartment unit #. It was dumb mistake on my part so I take blame for that but I was hoping to somehow retrieve my item in the mail at a later date. I loved BR and their company so I trusted them to try to at least resend the item once they received the one that got resent. Once I explained the situation to the lady and when I asked if there is any way I can get the item, she just laughed it off and talked to me in a tone as if I were in grade school. Truly disappointing, and I'm glad it's being resent because I will never buy a product from them again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I shopped at Gap and was falsely charged repeatedly, they kept starting over. 6 pages worth of false transactions. When I call I get the automated runaround, hours of my time to keep getting "disconnected" with the excuse of technical difficulties. I have been working on this for 3 months and they continue to have technical difficulties. Now they say it was resolved and I owe the false charges, but I am not told how they come to that. Watch out for this scamming business.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Online it is not clear if you are at the factory store or regular store. I took an item back and they said “it’s not from our store”. All owners by the same company. I will not be shopping with Banana Republic again. Their customer service stinks.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought a couple of clothes from this store. After I paid with my credit card the cashier and her friend who was also checking my credit card information chased after me to sign up with Godaddy.com. I refused to do so. A few days later, an unauthorized charge showed up on my credit card and I ended up cancelling the card. It appeared to me that they pass your credit card information to their friends. Never use a credit card at this store!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I placed an order for a pair of boots on August 19th. A few days later I checked in on the item, and it has not shipped yet. I emailed to inquire and was told that my item will arrive on the 30th regardless. Earlier this week I checked again, and the item no longest exists. I emailed to inquire and was told again to be patient, and wait for August 30th. Yesterday night I received an email that said the item may or may not exist, and will be shipped to me as soon as possible. Today, I found out that my order is cancelled without my knowledge. No email was sent. The only reason I knew was because I saw the return charge on my credit card.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS? Why are you selling items that don't even exist, and waste customers' time by not telling us right away when you knew all along that we will never get the item at all? I could have used these last two weeks to find another pair of boots - that actually exist - instead of waiting for an order that was never going to arrive at all.

I called customer service and they apologized and offered a 50% discount and a further 10% discount on whatever I wanted from the website, even if it was more expensive. But here's the other problem: THERE IS NOTHING I FOUND REMOTELY APPEALING FROM THE STYLES YOU ARE CURRENTLY OFFERING. I haven't bought anything from Banana Republic in the last few years because at some point you stopped designing for and appealing to young professional women.

What happened? The last time I ordered something and didn't return it was back in 2014. Remember the Anna Karenina capsule collection back in 2012? The Mad Men capsule collection in 2013? You guys were actually paying attention to trend inspirations from popular culture, and offered the styles that were about to explode.

Now, it looks like you're designing in a detached bubble and are churning out the same things over and over again. The most daring thing to come out recently was a snake-effect leather coat for $1240. If you knew anything about your customers, you would know that no self-respecting woman would purchase anything larger than an accessory in animal print, let alone a faux one, for $1240.

I don't know who that coat was meant for (Cruella de Vil?) but it looked like you knew anything about current values. For starters - animal skins belong to their living owners not humans, quality materials not faux prints, and reasonably priced merchandise. Not to mention, the first time in years I actually see something I liked, you guys pull this nonsense. You may have offered a refund, but not everything is about money - you've wasted my time as well. I really hope things turn around for you guys because I've seen what you're capable of, but it doesn't look like it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was forced into getting a Banana Republic credit card and I did end up spending a lot of money on it. We did receive coupons which I never can seem to use online. I always have to call in to read the product numbers to the customer service for over 10-15 items which takes a LONG TIME. On top of that, they send you a new credit card without any notification via email and since it never arrived, I called customer service to go through all the products I needed (again because I was unable to order it) and then find out that the new card was not activated. My rewards almost runs out and they can only expedite it for 3-4 business days (no weekends). The main issue here is that they are unapologetic and make us feel like we are making an absurd claim when they should have notified us that they sent us a new card and that we will not be able to use it. What if I had gone to the store to buy their stuff. NOT RECOMMENDED. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. MOST LIKELY NOT EVEN HANDLED IN THE US.

Original review: July 23, 2018

On a Friday, I made separate merchandise returns to Express, Ann Taylor and Banana Republic. Both Express and Ann Taylor credited my credit card for the returned amount on the same day, which was reflected on my credit card statement. However, I still haven't seen the Banana Republic credit amount of $192 on Monday. When I called Banana Republic, I was told that it takes 3 to 5 business days for my account to be credited. I pointed out that 2 stores have already credited my account on the same day of the return.

Banana Republic wants to hold on to people's money for 3 to 5 business days. She said, it's their policy, which is written on my return receipt ---- which it isn't! Then she said, it could take the credit card company 3 to 5 business days to apply the credit. But it's not up to my credit card company. I think, Banana Republic is quick to make the sale (take the money), but slow to give it back. I'm so disappointed with them. It used to be my favorite store, but I've learned my lesson. Buyers Beware!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Last fall (2017) I bought a jeans skirt. After a few uses, one button dropped out. The skirt didn't come with a spare button. Yesterday I looked for a replacement at the Banana Republic and the manager told me it was an old model and after the sale, they don't have any responsibility. I asked for some help and all I heard was: ”Sorry there is nothing I can do”.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I feel discriminated. The quality of the WOMEN'S clothing in this store keeps going down. The last season light 100% wool pant/skirt suit now is 50% polyester for the same price. Why can't you make a proper (not light) wool pant/skirt suit (and a large variety of them) as you make it for men? The men's store has a greater selection of items made from higher quality fabrics. This goes for all seasons. Why do you treat men differently? Why do you think that I am not going to want to buy quality products? So disappointed.

Original review: March 28, 2018

A great experience today. Was able to get 40% off plus my 10% for using my card and was able to use two of my rewards. Lydia, a fresh new face working there told me I could order a larger size online and another salesperson helped me do it. This store at Oxmoor Center in Louisville is always looking great and all the people working there are always very helpful.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I need to change my mobile number for my Banana Republic credit card. The website would not allow me to change it on-line so I called customer service. The first girl I talked to said it was impossible to update my phone number over the phone or on-line. She stated it's the only way BR can maintain their clients' identity so I would receive a letter in the mail (7-10 days) and then I would have to call them (?? What??) to change it. She cut me off at least 6 times and when I asked to speak with a Supervisor she said "Sure" and hung up on me. I called customer service and spoke with someone else. After 20 minutes of being on the phone he finally changed my number for me. I asked to speak with a Supervisor and he said "Supervisors do not speak with customers." Well then... I guess I will be cancelling my credit card and finding new places to shop other than The Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta. So disappointed!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

From December 2017 to end of January 2018, I have placed 13 orders on their website. 6 of them had canceled items!! 6 of them! When you put items in the basket they should be available. You place your order and then, two weeks after, you receive an email saying the items were canceled. In the meantime you call and call and are told that their items are preparing for shipment... What kind of service is that. That is the WORST online shopping site I've seen. It is simply a lottery, you never know what you're gonna get.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have shopped at Banana Republic sporadically due to the fact that the store nearest me closed but there is a store in another state that I visit when I am visiting my daughter. When I tried to use My Banana Republic credit card, it was denied. I was informed I had zero balance and it had lapsed due to inactivity. When I asked to reopen or reapply, I was then denied. I requested a letter why my husband and I were denied. I received their letter claiming “prior unsatisfactory obligation with us” which is TOTALLY false.

The credit card holder, Synchrony Bank, was totally inept in giving any answers to my situation. I spoke to 3 different people continually being transferred from department to department. I tried to contact Banana Republic but all attempts only linked me to Synchrony. If you don’t use your credit card enough or carry a balance, they deny you their card so you can’t use it for additional percent off your purchase which is one of their big sales promotionals on all their signage in their store. I will not shop there or any other Synchrony Bank “store” such as Gap and Old Navy. Could this be a class action suit for false business practices?

Banana Republic Company Information