1.27/5
Based on 103 reviews that contain star ratings

140 Banana Republic Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Online it is not clear if you are at the factory store or regular store. I took an item back and they said “it’s not from our store”. All owners by the same company. I will not be shopping with Banana Republic again. Their customer service stinks.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I ordered some clothes online and they never arrived, so I called customer service. It turns out I had accidentally shipped them to an old address. The packages had been delivered and signed for, but I couldn't get them. It was completely my fault and I was ready to take the loss, but they very generously offered to ship me a new order to right address!! I was so happily surprised! And the best part is that there was almost no hold time on the phone at all. :)

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought a couple of clothes from this store. After I paid with my credit card the cashier and her friend who was also checking my credit card information chased after me to sign up with Godaddy.com. I refused to do so. A few days later, an unauthorized charge showed up on my credit card and I ended up cancelling the card. It appeared to me that they pass your credit card information to their friends. Never use a credit card at this store!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I placed an order for a pair of boots on August 19th. A few days later I checked in on the item, and it has not shipped yet. I emailed to inquire and was told that my item will arrive on the 30th regardless. Earlier this week I checked again, and the item no longest exists. I emailed to inquire and was told again to be patient, and wait for August 30th. Yesterday night I received an email that said the item may or may not exist, and will be shipped to me as soon as possible. Today, I found out that my order is cancelled without my knowledge. No email was sent. The only reason I knew was because I saw the return charge on my credit card.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS? Why are you selling items that don't even exist, and waste customers' time by not telling us right away when you knew all along that we will never get the item at all? I could have used these last two weeks to find another pair of boots - that actually exist - instead of waiting for an order that was never going to arrive at all.

I called customer service and they apologized and offered a 50% discount and a further 10% discount on whatever I wanted from the website, even if it was more expensive. But here's the other problem: THERE IS NOTHING I FOUND REMOTELY APPEALING FROM THE STYLES YOU ARE CURRENTLY OFFERING. I haven't bought anything from Banana Republic in the last few years because at some point you stopped designing for and appealing to young professional women.

What happened? The last time I ordered something and didn't return it was back in 2014. Remember the Anna Karenina capsule collection back in 2012? The Mad Men capsule collection in 2013? You guys were actually paying attention to trend inspirations from popular culture, and offered the styles that were about to explode.

Now, it looks like you're designing in a detached bubble and are churning out the same things over and over again. The most daring thing to come out recently was a snake-effect leather coat for $1240. If you knew anything about your customers, you would know that no self-respecting woman would purchase anything larger than an accessory in animal print, let alone a faux one, for $1240.

I don't know who that coat was meant for (Cruella de Vil?) but it looked like you knew anything about current values. For starters - animal skins belong to their living owners not humans, quality materials not faux prints, and reasonably priced merchandise. Not to mention, the first time in years I actually see something I liked, you guys pull this nonsense. You may have offered a refund, but not everything is about money - you've wasted my time as well. I really hope things turn around for you guys because I've seen what you're capable of, but it doesn't look like it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was forced into getting a Banana Republic credit card and I did end up spending a lot of money on it. We did receive coupons which I never can seem to use online. I always have to call in to read the product numbers to the customer service for over 10-15 items which takes a LONG TIME. On top of that, they send you a new credit card without any notification via email and since it never arrived, I called customer service to go through all the products I needed (again because I was unable to order it) and then find out that the new card was not activated. My rewards almost runs out and they can only expedite it for 3-4 business days (no weekends). The main issue here is that they are unapologetic and make us feel like we are making an absurd claim when they should have notified us that they sent us a new card and that we will not be able to use it. What if I had gone to the store to buy their stuff. NOT RECOMMENDED. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. MOST LIKELY NOT EVEN HANDLED IN THE US.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banana Republic?

Original review: July 23, 2018

On a Friday, I made separate merchandise returns to Express, Ann Taylor and Banana Republic. Both Express and Ann Taylor credited my credit card for the returned amount on the same day, which was reflected on my credit card statement. However, I still haven't seen the Banana Republic credit amount of $192 on Monday. When I called Banana Republic, I was told that it takes 3 to 5 business days for my account to be credited. I pointed out that 2 stores have already credited my account on the same day of the return.

Banana Republic wants to hold on to people's money for 3 to 5 business days. She said, it's their policy, which is written on my return receipt ---- which it isn't! Then she said, it could take the credit card company 3 to 5 business days to apply the credit. But it's not up to my credit card company. I think, Banana Republic is quick to make the sale (take the money), but slow to give it back. I'm so disappointed with them. It used to be my favorite store, but I've learned my lesson. Buyers Beware!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Last fall (2017) I bought a jeans skirt. After a few uses, one button dropped out. The skirt didn't come with a spare button. Yesterday I looked for a replacement at the Banana Republic and the manager told me it was an old model and after the sale, they don't have any responsibility. I asked for some help and all I heard was: ”Sorry there is nothing I can do”.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I feel discriminated. The quality of the WOMEN'S clothing in this store keeps going down. The last season light 100% wool pant/skirt suit now is 50% polyester for the same price. Why can't you make a proper (not light) wool pant/skirt suit (and a large variety of them) as you make it for men? The men's store has a greater selection of items made from higher quality fabrics. This goes for all seasons. Why do you treat men differently? Why do you think that I am not going to want to buy quality products? So disappointed.

Original review: March 28, 2018

A great experience today. Was able to get 40% off plus my 10% for using my card and was able to use two of my rewards. Lydia, a fresh new face working there told me I could order a larger size online and another salesperson helped me do it. This store at Oxmoor Center in Louisville is always looking great and all the people working there are always very helpful.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I need to change my mobile number for my Banana Republic credit card. The website would not allow me to change it on-line so I called customer service. The first girl I talked to said it was impossible to update my phone number over the phone or on-line. She stated it's the only way BR can maintain their clients' identity so I would receive a letter in the mail (7-10 days) and then I would have to call them (?? What??) to change it. She cut me off at least 6 times and when I asked to speak with a Supervisor she said "Sure" and hung up on me. I called customer service and spoke with someone else. After 20 minutes of being on the phone he finally changed my number for me. I asked to speak with a Supervisor and he said "Supervisors do not speak with customers." Well then... I guess I will be cancelling my credit card and finding new places to shop other than The Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta. So disappointed!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

From December 2017 to end of January 2018, I have placed 13 orders on their website. 6 of them had canceled items!! 6 of them! When you put items in the basket they should be available. You place your order and then, two weeks after, you receive an email saying the items were canceled. In the meantime you call and call and are told that their items are preparing for shipment... What kind of service is that. That is the WORST online shopping site I've seen. It is simply a lottery, you never know what you're gonna get.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have shopped at Banana Republic sporadically due to the fact that the store nearest me closed but there is a store in another state that I visit when I am visiting my daughter. When I tried to use My Banana Republic credit card, it was denied. I was informed I had zero balance and it had lapsed due to inactivity. When I asked to reopen or reapply, I was then denied. I requested a letter why my husband and I were denied. I received their letter claiming “prior unsatisfactory obligation with us” which is TOTALLY false.

The credit card holder, Synchrony Bank, was totally inept in giving any answers to my situation. I spoke to 3 different people continually being transferred from department to department. I tried to contact Banana Republic but all attempts only linked me to Synchrony. If you don’t use your credit card enough or carry a balance, they deny you their card so you can’t use it for additional percent off your purchase which is one of their big sales promotionals on all their signage in their store. I will not shop there or any other Synchrony Bank “store” such as Gap and Old Navy. Could this be a class action suit for false business practices?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I ordered a clothing item on December 16. I received an email on December 18 saying, "Your item has shipped!" When I called UPS on December 24 UPS had no record and said the item must have never left the store. I reached Banana Republic customer service on Dec 26 and they casually commented that while the shirt was in stock when I ordered it, it "may have been lost somewhere between the store or warehouse and UPS". I was asked if I wanted a refund. Um, yes please. No other compensation was offered. I had to ask and was offered a 10% coupon. This amounts to misleading customers. Be very wary. I will never order from Banana Republic again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Ordered a blazer in November and yet; I am still waiting for the delivery. This company has gone down the drain. Also, their "seasonal collection" is a repeat of the same crap year after year, the only difference would be new colors or a new button here and there. This has been going on for over 2 decades now. No wonder their businesses are falling apart.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I purchased a large number of items for Christmas gifts. They arrived with no boxes and one gift receipt. When I called customer service they said they only can do one gift receipt per order and in the future I would have to place a separate order for each item to receive a gift receipt. As to boxes - they said they couldn't tell me why no boxes were shipped but now that the order had already been shipped they couldn't do anything about it.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Tried to reach Customer service robot reply password not working. Finally got it. Needed to purchase gift. At first attempt the promo code worked. When I went back to add an item, promo code not working on the previous item. This website is a total sham with the promo code works five mins then nothing. Waste of people's time. Don't get stressed with this bs website. There is a reason that Old Navy, Banana Republic, Gap, and Athleta all use same site. BS customer service and lame ** promo bs codes.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I used to shop with them a lot, but that was 15 years ago when they still had some integrity. The clothing used to be quite decent quality. Despite of polyester and nylon everywhere at sky-high prices, I still go on their website to hunt for rare items made of wool or silk and even sometimes buy something. Lately I have purchased a second pair of light wool pants. I thought since the first pair was wool and a nice fit, I would get a second pair just to have a backup in my closet. To my surprise the pair that arrived in the mail didn't even come close to the pants I have purchased 2 months ago.

The fabric was flimsy and you could tell bad quality and the fit was totally off! I have even compared the item number on the tags to make sure I've ordered the same pair of pants. Yup, they matched but the pants I have received were different. I went ahead and wrote a bad review describing my experience and to my astonishment when I went online today the review was gone! This wasn't the first time when they have not allowed/deleted my review just because it was a one star one. Shame! Shame! Shame!

Original review: June 24, 2017

I opened a credit card 5 months ago with Banana Republic, that can be used at Old Navy and Gap as well. I have paid my balance and do not currently owe anything on the card. I tried to charge on it yesterday and was informed my account had been closed without my knowledge. I called Customer Service to inquire about the reason for this and was told they will close accounts if they feel individual credit scores are not to their liking! Even though they approved me for a credit card 5 months ago and I have paid any and all balances off... how is that good company policy? Instead, now Banana Republic and Old Navy will no longer receive any of my business!

Original review: June 11, 2017

My wife went shopping at Banana Republic today. They refused to accept her money. They insisted that she use a credit card even though she was trying to pay with American dollars! On the U.S. currency it states " THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE". What has the Banana Republic become??? Is it really a Banana Republic that won't accept American currency? I told my wife to return the item purchased and not to shop there anymore. I truly believe that their actions are unAmerican. The refusal to accept American currency is not just stupid but, I am hoping it will affect their sales and bottom line. What a horrible way to treat loyal customers. Perhaps the Banana Republic is trying to live up to its name.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I was happy with Banana Republic and remained a BR Luxe credit card owner until a recent change with their online payment portal. Starting February 2017, the online payment portal was suddenly unavailable for login. In March, they issued new credit cards and updated the interface of their payment portal, thus wiping out all my saved account payment information as well as pieces of my mailing address. They automatically associated my account to my login email address instead of the updated email address it has been using.

From a purchase I made in March through mid-April, interest fees racked up because I was unable to log in online and never received the statements. Not to mention no emails were sent to me because somehow, the emails were sent to an old email address. The new credit card and statements were sent to an incomplete address and therefore returned to sender, who never notified me until one day, I saw a delinquent charge on my 750+ credit report, which dropped my score slightly and somehow BR claimed to have closed my account.

I made a call to an extremely rude account rep, who told me my account is alive but they've changed my account information. It was a nightmare. I rushed to make a payment (Including late payment and fees) and magically discovered this month (May) that it was not posted and I was charged late fees and interest fees again. This is outrageous. They need to step up their game.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I had this card as well as Gap & Old Navy. I never miss a payment and have paid in full multiple times. This company has no appreciation for loyal customers. As a reward for my timely payment history and continued business, they first lowered all three account limits as a result of an annual credit review they use to screen already open accounts. Last month I paid all of my accounts off and this month they cancelled the banana republic card stating that the annual review of my credit report showed a high credit usage.

First of all, I am an educated and capable individual. I know exactly how much credit I have and how much of it is used. My payments on every single account that I have are always on time and often paid in full. The fact that they take no consideration of your history on their accounts and judge you only by what they think they see on a credit report is appalling. Great way to lose customers!

Original review: March 23, 2017

They send statements late to get late fees. They won't allow online access unless you give up paper. You get your bill notice along with hundreds of shopping emails. Customer service reads scripts and just doesn't care at all -- they know we use the card for the points. I have so much Hate for the Card Service that I can no longer buy the clothes.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I have been a loyal and longstanding customer of Banana Republic, Gap and Athleta for years now. I finally took advantage of (or should I say, was taken advantage of) signing up for their credit card. I was lured into opening up the credit card because of the enticing rewards that would be received as a result. I figured since I already shopped so much at their establishments anyways, that this would be a great incentive.

WHAT A SCAM! First, I realized I wasn't receiving my billing statements in the mail, so I finally called, only to be told that I was charged a late payment because a payment had not been received. After explaining I never received any of my statements in the mail, the customer service representative assured me the late fee would be reversed. He also assured me that my billing cycle occurred on the 9th of every month. We both repeated this several times just so I was extremely clear. I even set a calendar notification in my phone, while I was still on the phone with the representative so that I would never be late on my payment again.

Not only was I lied to about my late fee being reversed but he also lied about the date my payment was due and I was charged another late fee!!! They scam their clients by not sending them their credit card billing statements and giving them false feedback as to when their payments are due! That way they continue to collect late fees from them. I have never been more upset or felt so cheated by a company before! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Their customer service is all outsourced and everyone I have spoken to has been incompetent and not able to do their job. I have paid my bill on time through my personal banking. Bill pay to them electronically. They say they haven't received payments. Every time I call about it and have my bank fax them the information they require they say they didn't get it. This has been ongoing for 3 months! I have called multiple times about and had the information faxed multiple times. Do not get their credit card!!! They are obviously unable to handle basic tasks and just give you the runaround and just want to charge late fees!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I bought a $250 gift card for my son for his birthday in early December, using my new Banana Republic charge, which I mailed to him. He never got it but someone used the gift card. When I called Banana Republic, I was led to believe that this would be covered, particularly since I had never had a claim of any kind previously. However, their card holder, Synchrony Bank, would not cover any portion of the stolen gift card. They invited me to call their dispute center, but it's a recorded message and their promise to call back within 2 business days is bogus.

I went through the procedure more than once. I did call Banana Republic customer service to let them know my experience, and though they listened to me, they had no constructive ideas for getting me any portion of my money back. I will pay the bill since I don't want to be hounded and to have my credit rating affected. Needless to say, the credit card is already cut up and in the trash. Be aware that if you have trouble with a gift card purchased at Banana Republic, you're out the whole thing. I was surprised, but know who NOT to do business with!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

These days, customer service at Banana Republic is absolutely horrible. I used two gift cards and a credit card to pay for a recent order with Banana Republic. One of the items was cancelled; this was the second item that I ordered this holiday season that was cancelled due to being out of stock. I had emailed customer service to make sure that the amount would be refunded to my credit card as opposed to a gift card. AFTER I sent the email, I received a notification that a gift card was being sent, followed by an email from customer service with the following message: "As your credit card payment had already been applied to items that were already shipped, we issued a refund of $15.63 in the form of a new gift card, that you should receive in the mail by January 9th." How does it make any sense to issue a completely new gift card in this small amount instead of refunding my credit card, and weren't the gift cards already charged as well.

This is an unethical business practice clearly designed to cause the consumer to spend more money. It's an insignificant amount of money, but it is the principle of the matter. How am I supposed to trust a company that not only has such poor inventory control, but employs these type of business policies? I used to shop at Banana Republic all the time, but it has steadily gone downhill since the early 2000s.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I ordered some work clothes at Banana Republic. ca on November 25th and never received the package. According to Canada Post, the package was delivered on Dec 09th and there's nothing further they can do. In fact, Canada post advises to have the sender fill out a claim. I contacted Banana Republic customer service (2 emails and a phone call) and I was told because they have done a refund for me in the past, for another lost package, they can't do anything!!! That I should contact my credit card company instead.

I am going to contact my credit card company to request a charge back, but I am just so frustrated because I feel as if Banana Republic just doesn't want to bother contacting Canada Post to fill out a claim and investigate this issue further. It's not even really about the money but the principle of it all. They are essentially saying, if your packages are not delivered, you are own your own. It's really a shame because I really liked shopping at Banana Republic for work clothes, but I am done with them. Frustrated shopper.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

First let me say if I could rate less than one star I would. On November 28th I ordered 9 pairs of socks for Christmas gifts, paid and received confirmation of shipment to be delivered in 2 separate packages. The first package was received and missing a pair which was listed on the packing slip with the order. I called customer service, was on hold waiting for a representative for 24 minutes, and then greeted by a rude and pretentious representative who proceeded to tell me I must wait until the second package arrives before calling back and resolving the issue with the first package even though the missing pair was listed on the packing slip for the first order I had already received. What an utter waste of time.

I then sent an email to customer service to ensure that the missing pair would come in time with the second order. I received my second order yesterday (12/13/16) and it did not include the missing item. A second email was sent yesterday and it has been nearly 24 hours with no response. Also gift boxes were requested and confirmed but not sent. Sorry Banana Republic, you missed the mark on this one and a loyal customer, as I will not step foot into another location (or online) due to their lack of response and rude handling for my online order.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I had a BR account for 30 years--since 1985. Spent a fortune there. About 18 months ago we moved and there was not a store close by. Checked my credit report the other day and discovered they had closed the account! Only it was not BR, it was Synchrony Bank and basically BR = Synchrony Bank. You think you are dealing with a store you have frequented for years and have a relationship with, but you are not. You are dealing with a bank. You are not a loyal customer. You are a number. Even if you call or write customer service--you get the bank.

I was told if I want an account, I must reapply. We all know what that means. Ding on your credit report. Just to reopen an account that was closed for no reason (except they aren't making any money off of you). Well--forget that. Stores offering no loyalty receive none back. I will no longer shop at Banana Republic and they don't care. Neither do I. And I will deal with two banks and their cards. That's it. Though, there are still store cards I have that have not 'dropped' me due to not shopping often enough.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

While surfing the net, came across Banana Republic 50% off online sale. As noted on the big first page screen, it advertised "EXTRA 50% off SALE Discount Automatically Applied at Checkout!" I kept searching for the disclaimer that would say otherwise. It took me an hour and a phone call to Banana Republic to see the tiny link, which was barely visible that stated the REAL deal, which wasn't a deal nearly as big as they advertised. SOOOOO deceiving. Even the Customer Rep sent 20% discount, I felt cheated in some big way.

Banana Republic Company Information