1.36/5
Based on 147 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

165 American Eagle Outfitters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I placed an order for my daughter for her Birthday for 5 items. The charge was for $140. 2 of the items shipped within a week but when she received the order only 1 of the items was there and it was damaged. We called customer service and were told that there was nothing they could do until all items shipped. They were checking their stores to find the other items so at this point it’s been over a wk since placing the original order. 2 wks later they finally find all of the items and ship the order. At this point they charged my card again for the item that was not with the first shipment but of course you have to wait for the refund. It is terrible customer service and we are now 3 wks past her bday and she has received 1 damaged item which by the way nothing was offered to make that right. I will not shop at American Eagle again. Very disappointing, I would give no stars if it were allowed!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I received a special from American Eagle the other day. 35% off (had code) on Online orders. I am a Military Veteran and wanted to take advantage of the additional 10% off. Customer service said I had to go to the store and place the online order through them so they could verify Military ID. So I went to the store in Tanger Mall in Deer Park NY. The clerk started to process my order when manager came over and said I could not use the Online code in the store because they had sales going on as well. I wouldn't have gone to the store if they had accepted my Military ID prior. The order was for over $2000 worth of clothes. It took the clerk over two hours to process the order and they would not accept or give me my Military discount on the order. They did give me the store sale item price and the online promo special.

Bottom line if I have to go to the store for the Military Discount then I should receive all available discounts. Store, Military, Promo. And the stores do not like me coming in asking them to do the online orders. It ties them up and they are very rude. I was at the point of raising my voice to the manager because of her reluctance to complete my order. I have had other negative experiences with their online orders. The whole system needs to change. I can't do business with American Eagle anymore, regardless of the discounts, the experience is not worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Customers should be aware that this company will ask for a lot of personal information, such as a driver’s license, when returning an item. Today, in one of their Silicon Valley outlets, I returned two brand new items with tags and the original receipt, and I was unceremoniously asked my personal ID besides the credit card I used for the purchase. The store already had my email address, but I was required to give my phone number as well. When I asked for the reasons why so much info was needed, and who I could talk to or write to about the return policy, the cashier didn’t even answer, and one of her colleagues angrily turned the computer screen towards me and told me to look for myself that they just took my phone number and no address.

Then, when I requested again if there was someone to contact about the policy, the second associate finally told me to just go online. No further specification. She spoke while she was looking over some paperwork, no eye contact, basically giving me the clear message to get out of there. Neither associate seemed to care to understand why I was wary of showing a personal ID for a return in the first place, especially since I had my receipt and the garments had their tags on, and I had shown the credit card I had used to pay - that was already in their system.

The store wasn’t full, so they weren’t pressed by a line of customers, but they clearly had no intention of helping me understand their policy. If they had asked, I would have told them that in two other stores - not AE - my accounts had been hacked, that’s why I was so concerned. I wasn’t given a chance to explain or get the info I asked for, but rather I was treated like a bug to get rid of ASAP. I won’t go back. This company needs to rethink their return policy and train their associates to explain it and take an interest when a customer asks for legitimate clarifications, especially when there is no line in the store.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased four pairs of jeans online for my daughter. She tried them on and one of them did not fit - So I went to a store in MA to return it with my receipt. At the store I was asked for my driver's license in order to return the merchandise. I gave them my license but the whole idea was very off putting to say the least. The more I thought about, the more it felt like an intrusion and a violation of my private information. They did not need my driver's license to process the return as they had my credit card, my receipt, and the item in the original bag with all of the tags attached. I will not be shopping at AE in the future.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I ordered a jean and shirt at the beginning of the week and no problem. I saw the sale on 10/09 for 25$ jeans and decided to buy 2. My order was canceled for security reasons. Why? Because I use my boyfriend's work address... like the first order that went well. So what's the real problem? I've been told to do it again by PayPal if the address on it is the same as the shipping address I wanted to use and did so but AGAIN order canceled for security. Received an email saying that it was resolved and I could pass my order 24h later. When I tried to do so, the sale was finished (jeans now 54) and the models I wanted were gone! So the jeans I wanted to buy for 25$ each, and that I DID buy 2 times cause I follow the sales, were not available and too bad for me even though I was doing things right? Doesn't make me want to buy again online or else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Eagle Outfitters?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Been lied about a rewards system. Also, placed an order and had to cancel it because my rewards information wasn’t put in. So I call customer service speak to a manager to make sure the order is canceled. He specifically said the money wouldn’t be charged to my account as pending then I placed another order and now both are pending and it takes 5-7 business days for the pending to clear the bank. Mind you this is a manager and he I specifically asked that info and he lied. Plus their whole rewards system is cheap and I was lied to about how many points I had that I had ten dollars. Oh but when I called back again I don’t have ten. I have to earn another 290 points to get to 2500 then I’ll have $15. Horrible service. Called corporate they don’t do anything. Don’t ask if there is anything that can make you happy. Now granted a lady said the other day when I called she would give me 20% off and free shipping. 20% is nothing.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I bought 2 polo t-shirts for 50€. One of them was pink and after the first wash white spots appeared all over and the color was gone. The other one was white, it looked alright for some time. After a few washes tiny brown spots at the bottom of the shirt started appearing, it was as if you removed all color from that spot (size as tiny as a pin's head). I am very disappointed cause their clothes have nice designs and they are a new company in my market (Greece). I won't be buying again from them soon. Also, I am angry because with 50 euro I could have gotten better quality t-shirts from other stores.

Original review: May 10, 2018

So, I decided to shop AE from the Middle East, I'll never do this again. First off, they do not tell you before placing an order they don't ship to P.O. boxes or parcel forwarding companies so I was a little dumb to place an order. A charge immediately took place and received confirmation email, then, 1 minute later I receive an email saying the order was cancelled for security reasons. Apparently was told that through chatting with their useless customer service representatives who said they don't ship to P.O. boxes and do not charge cards from my country (Jordan) but what actually happened is an authorization hold that now after talking and sending many emails to their impolite, rude, unhelpful customer service representatives, I have to wait for 2 billing cycles to get the funds back to my card. 2 months to get your money back for an order that had been cancelled immediately by their security system.

Horrible experience, immature customer service representatives with great copy-paste skills replying to my emails. Frustrating experience with this company, if you don't charge cards from my country with you hold my money for 2 months!!! Btw, make sure if you want to buy online there's nothing wrong with the address, if so and you cancel an order to edit it, your money will be held for authorization for almost 2 weeks or 2 billing cycles to get it back. Never again AE!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been trying to order a swimsuit for roughly 2 months now. My order is cancelled no matter what I do for "verification issues." I have tried using another card and ordering over the phone without luck. When I call customer services they are very kind and try to help but my order is just cancelled again. This is so frustrating as the suit is not available in store and I am tired of having my order cancelled. If I can't figure this out soon I'm going to be going to another store for a suit.

Original review: April 24, 2018

They don't even deserve a star. I've give them a 0 if I could. Terrible service. I've been trying to contact them for a over a week about a missing/stolen package. I received one package but not the other. I was suppose to receive 2 packages and only received one. I've been calling customer service. Not getting anywhere. I got a email that said they're not responsible for lost/stolen packages and to start mailing my packages in a more secure area. All I wanted was them to send me my shorts I ordered and they can't do that. I even recorded 2 representatives on the phone getting so rude with me. I'm gonna let the news (media) hear about this and make a story.

They told me they're not responsible for lost stolen package but they sure are responsible taking my money. I live in a terrible neighborhood ok so in the email they told me to ship at a more secure area. I don't have a more secure area. I don't own another house. I'm not rich like your company and your customer service is terrible. I'm gonna share my experience with the world. Please do not shop here. It's horrible. I have a lot of things to do tomorrow. I'm returning $200 in clothes from 2 days ago at the store inside the mall and I'm returning the pink shorts since I didn't receive my two pairs of shorts.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Their jeans smell terrible! They must have changed manufacturers because I used to be able to buy their jeans without noticing any smells. Now they stink like formaldehyde (cancer-causing) and nothing takes the smell out of them. I've tried everything from vinegar to baking soda, including multiple washes. Avoid this company until they clean up their act and stay away from harmful chemicals in their manufacturing processes.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I just received my order and pre-washed my sweatshirt. The two sweatshirt came out with small holes in the cuff of the sleeves, neckline, and bottom of shirt. The quality of clothing is very underrated by the company. The camo leggings are very poor quality and not worth the money you pay. Please do not purchase any clothing from this company online. The order was very expensive and at very low class quality. Save your money!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I'm honestly shocked seeing so many negative reviews, as I've had nothing but positive experiences with AE and Aerie. I initially started ordering because they carry bras in my size, and they are not wildly expensive. They offer free shipping and returns with all bra purchases, simplifying what is largely a trial and error shopping experience. I've never had an issue with a return, and I've done many.

I had one single item get lost in transit. UPS was the last to handle it, and after several emails basically told me they "could not investigate". I contacted USPS, who had only received paperwork for the package, not the package itself. They apologized and suggested to contact the shipper. I contacted AE via email, and it took only a few days for them to get back to me and have the issue resolved. It was an order of ten items, one was lost in transit. I was refunded for the entire order. I corrected them, then I was told they only recharge for "large orders" and to consider the mistake a holiday gift. A+ customer service in my opinion. Besides that, the rewards program is GREAT! I've gotten several free bras, multiple $15 rewards and a $30 reward in less than a year of shopping with them.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Today I got a letter in the mail from Synchrony Bank concerning my American Eagle credit card account. The account was paid in full as of March 1st. They say since it was paid in full and not used since December it was canceled. I have had the account for approx 5 yrs and was never late on a payment, never! This place is a sham and I am glad they will no longer get a dime of my money. What a horrible way to do business.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I only buy clothes online from AEO now... Well, except for jeans because I prefer paying a bit less for pants. But I gravitated towards AE about a year and a half ago when they were offering generous rewards and pumped a fair bit of money into purchases on clearance items while discount codes were also available. HUGE savings on great stuff. Not the fastest shipping around, but they didn't bat an eye when I reported a shirt hadn't come in and they refunded that the next day. That shirt was actually delivered to the wrong house and it got to me in the end and I made even more purchases.

They discontinued the great rewards program they had, but it's still worthwhile. I'm an athletic build and the clothes are perfect for me. They skew a bit young but I'll fit that demo a few years more. I'll say this, I scoured the internet looking for other online clothes retailers when they ended their rewards program. I couldn't beat their prices, I had to come back. I'm 2 years in, no complaints other than what you would expect not trying clothes on before you buy them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Worst experience of my life ordering online. Ordered 9 items and 7 of my items were never delivered. Emailed and called customer service 3 times. They told me my products were on the way each time. Finally got an email saying I would be refunded my money but only received half the amount spend even after 5-7 business days which I also called about. They told me there was nothing they could do about it. So then I also just tried to get the order resent to me and they messed my order up yet again by shipping me the wrong pair of jeans. I was upset because I really like American Eagle and their products but this is unacceptable. I will no longer be making online orders on their website.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Do not order online!!! The worst experience ever. I live an hour away from the AE store. After driving to return my items the computer wouldn't allow her to return $50 worth of crap. So she gave me return label and packaged it all up for me. Well 3 weeks later I'm still waiting on my $$. Called customer service. They're about as clueless as a 2 year old. Ridiculous, crappy service. I'll never shop there again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have not had such a horrible experience with a credit card or card customer service EVER. I have a couple of other Synchrony bank accounts that I have never had the same issues with. The site has rejected my checking account info multiple times, however, I am not made aware until the payment has been rejected and the payment is late so a conveniently earned late fee is acquired. I don't know if I can even explain all of the issues I've experienced... I've spoken with customer service multiple times to no avail. I have live chatted with reps to no avail. If you were to check my payment history on my mortgage, car, other credit cards, etc., you will find ZERO late payments or payment rejections or any of the other issues consistently experienced with this account. It is as if they just don't want my money, my payments, my future business, et al.

I don't do online reviews and the only reason I am doing this one is because I went online to see if other customers have experienced similar issues and yes, yes they are. This Consumer Affairs site popped up in my search and due to my extreme aggravation I decided to post. Consumers: don't damage your credit or allow the stress and aggravation due to applying and/or using this credit card. Take it from me, worst credit card experience of my consumer history.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Very disappointed with customer service, who ended a chat with me several times and did not try to help. I bought many items from them before Christmas, which did not get to me on time, I paid taxes for the items I have bought, which I was not aware of when I was shopping online as they do not inform you about these. And was later informed that my parcel was sent back to America as apparently I refused to accept the parcel (which is a nonsense really). I rang them to seek help and thought they would contact the company they use as couriers and was left feeling hopeless after chatting with several agents on the website who ended the chat not trying to help, not even saying goodbye. It has been 20 days since they returned my parcel and there is no money back on my account. Just be careful and this company is a joke.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

To preface this, I have been a loyal customer shopping with this company since I was 13 years old (I'm 25 now) and I've always used them as my primary provider for all my pants and shirts during this time via store and online purchases. This story started when I bought 2 pairs of jeans and 1 chino pants shortly after Christmas 2016 from an Outlet store near Toronto, ON. With pants- especially jeans- you would normally expect to get years out of them especially for brand name like AE. Within 2 months, The Chinos split in the ass. I threw them out thinking nothing of it. (I was on a business trip at the time so I couldn't be bothered trying to make room in the suitcase for a pair of ripped pants.) A few months later, the 2nd pair of pants (one of the jeans) had the same issue. I contacted American Eagle via email mentioning the Chinos as well as the jeans and they asked me for pictures of the issue and the tags...

I sent this info to them but told them I no longer had the Chinos to provide any information and got a response saying, "Sorry, we can't help you, go to the store"... With this reply, I got frustrated as they had requested the photos and information in order to help me and now were not even bothering. I told them that I was unhappy with the service and wouldn't be shopping for pants from them anymore because I didn't think it was right for them after already making me take time to provide the information they had requested to now make me take time to drive to the store and deal with them instead.

Now, almost a year since I made the purchase (and 5 months since contacting them via email), the 3rd pair of pants are now showing it's weakening and ready to rip in the crotch. I took them into the store I originally bought them at and spoke with the manager and said, "Look, I don't know if you can help me but look at these... Is there anything you can do for me?" I also mentioned this wasn't the first time and told them about the 2 other pants from the same purchase. They told me to call a 1-800 number and so I did as soon as I left the store. The 1-800 number went to a voicemail so I left a message and a week later, I hadn't heard back. So, I called again and after waiting 30 minutes to speak to a representative, the rep barely collected any information about me or my issue before telling me my only option was to ship the pants I have to their corporate office and someone may or may not get back to me to refund me for them.

As for the 2 pairs which I no longer have, there's nothing they can do. Clearly that wasn't an appropriate solution because it means 1. I'm paying out of pocket to send this to them and 2. Nobody is obligated to get back to me regarding the issue or to refund me. And 3. they are totally disregarding the problems I had with the previous 2 pairs of pants purchased at the same time, one of which I had already sent proof to them via email in July. So I escalated to the agents supervisor who then fought with me telling me that there is nothing they can do for me to fix this and that I'm out of pocket for the 3 pairs of pants.

She went as far as insinuating that I was being fraudulent because the code on the tag of the jeans suggested I bought them more than a year earlier than when I claim to have which I reminded her that I purchased these from an Outlet store not a regular retail store and maybe she should check with the Outlet store as to what products and seasons they sell because I know when I bought them and it's not my fault if they are selling old product at a discount. Before ending the call, I threatened to post this story on social media because I'm angry by the lack of service and accountability here and the clear disregard for customer retention to which she told me, "Hold on. Let me call the store to see if there's anything they can do for you."

She calls the store and comes back, "So for the one pair of pants you have, the store will take another look at them and may choose to take them back and exchange them for a product which is the cheapest possible jeans that they can sell you off the clearance rack." Confused by this, I asked, "What if they don't have my size?" To which she replied, "Well if they don't, then they can't do anything for you either." Then she proceeded to belittle me saying this issue is regarding "regular wear and tear" and not a product defect issue. I was working in an office and studying at school, I'm not doing the splits or anything crazy in the pants. I'm sitting in an office or classroom chair. So to blame this on "regular wear and tear" was absolute ** and just shows that this company has no intention on providing customers with a quality product or a good experience.

A good retailer would have thanked me for notifying them of the issues, took the pants I had to pass them on to their research and development team to determine what happened and how can it be fixed and then they would have compensated me for the inconvenience. Why is it my fault that their product failed shortly after purchase and how is it good service to make me have to send the product I purchased at my expense to their head office with no guarantee of any response or resolution? Due to this entire experience, I'm not even going to bother going back to the store at this point because it's not worth it. I'll just post this for everyone else to see what quality service and products look like and I'll choose a different retailer in the future.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have been wearing American Eagle jeans for 13 years and I don't plan on stopping. These jeans are durable and the sizing is inclusive. I am 5'10" and a size 18, jeans that are big and long enough can sometimes be hard to come by while still maintaining a stylish look. Thank you American Eagle.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Was confused about a tracking number. UPS said that my item was delivered (when it wasn't!). Called customer service, only had to wait for about 3-5 minutes, and spoke with a lovely young lady named Julia. She verified my name and address, took down the order number, and looked into the situation. Then she explained that UPS has been known to render a "delivered" status on products they dispense at the local post office, rather than when they are delivered at the residential address of the purchaser. This is what confused me.

Julia's sense of humor, her willingness to help, and immediate empathy went a long way and I had a delightful experience. I looked up on Consumer Affairs what AE's rating is. I don't know why the rating is so low; people are cruel. They should be talking to Julia. She was AMAZING. Thank you for hiring her, and I hope she goes far. 5-star experience!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Pretty ugly over this as I wrote/mailed a letter to AE customer service, chatted from webpage with several agents and finally thru emails as I saw a shirt I had to have on an emailed ad they emailed to me two months ago. Couldn't find shirt on AE.com, so that's why I mailed them a letter and emailed and chatted, never got response from my mailed letter, and told this "sorry not sure why that shirt is even listed it's not even on the website to purchase", I thought that was odd, well this was a month ago or so. Just now I was on AE.com and see the exact shirt I was told two months ago not available, well it was as people left "reviews" on or around the same dates I emailed/called/chatted/mailed letter to customer service. 'Cause now shirt is in clearance and of course sold out/out of stock in every size but XXS! Are you serious AE?!

As a LOYAL customer of AE for 20 years I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars at AE, too bad customer service is on another planet apparently & agents I dealt with have no clue what they are talking about. It's like you want us to pay $50 for a flannel shirt and $60 for ripped jeans at least offer some decent, knowledgeable staff to assist.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I ordered something for my boy like Christmas present and the day I had to receive it never did but UPS showed like delivered... They say I have to wait 3 days to get my refund and that is going to be so late for order something else!! This store ** care any customers only the agreements they have with other companies. I don't care if UPS lose the package, they must refund same day package was lost, the rest is their problem.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Used my gift card to order a jacket, a second after ordering I noticed there is a minor mistake in the address so I called them and asked if we can correct that. They cancelled my order and said a refund on gift card will take 2 weeks. So I will most likely not get the jacket I ordered because it will be out of stock. Horrible!!! All you needed to do is to modify the address! Also the lady wasn't particularly helpful or polite.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Worst customer service ever. I ordered clothing from AEO a month ago and didn't receive my package. When I called them about my problem, they said they would reimburse me. They ended up only reimbursing me for half. I have a email that proves it. I called again, they said they had reimbursed me for the full amount (saying the customer was wrong) when my email and bank account says otherwise. When I asked to speak with the manager the first time, they hung up on me. I called them again spoke with the manager - he explained that I'd have to wait 48 hours for my order to be reviewed.

I probably called them 10 times over the course of a month after I ordered, so I was very upset about having to wait two more days. Even when I explained my situation and frustration, they didn't offer me anything for my time and trouble. They were not even apologetic. At one point the manager said it was probably my bank's fault... What??? Let's just say... Their clothing is great and I've been a committed customer for years. But because of their terrible customer service, I'm not sure I'll be shopping with AEO anymore based on this experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I am SO FED UP with American Eagle and Synchrony Bank. Although I make my payments on time and pay more than required they have cut my credit limit 3 times! No explanation. No letters. Customer service can’t or won’t help or give answers, does no good to call ahead of a purchase. Limit changes constantly! I have talked to other cardholders. Same story. Only used this card once or twice A YEAR! Worst card and bank EVER! Just canceled my card and I am ECSTATIC! No more embarrassing incidents in store OR online! MERRY CHRISTMAS to me for finally being free of this HELLACIOUS card and bank!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I used American Eagle credit for about a year and always paid my bill on time, never once had a late payment, and made purchases with them frequently. Out of nowhere they closed my account based on my credit report which was, yes, slightly worse than when I opened the account, but my score was increasing and like I said had never once missed a payment or been late. They told me "you can feel free to reapply", to which I say, THANKS FOR NOTHING! If I were to reapply it would just be another inquiry on my credit report and make my credit EVEN WORSE! What a way to treat a loyal customer who made frequent purchases and always paid his bill on time and almost always had a 0 balance. I will NEVER shop at American Eagle again. Such a terrible way to treat your customers. If I had any kind of issues with payments, I could see this happening, but I literally always paid my bill on time. Completely ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

American Eagle sent me a pair of jeans that were labeled wrong. The ones I ordered had rips all down the front and back.. the ones they sent didn't have a single rip. The jeans I ordered were cropped and the ones I got were full length. I wanted them to send me what I ordered but they told me I could just return it. I used a coupon and now I'll have to pay more to fix THEIR mistake. Their customer service reps are extremely rude and condescending.

I've been shopping at American Eagle for years but their online service is such a hassle. This is the second time I've been sent the wrong thing labeled as the item I ordered. The pants they sent had a different item number on the sewn on tag than the price tag. It was the complete wrong item and they were NOT helpful. Every time I contact their customer service (which I have to do a lot because there is ALWAYS a problem) they are unhelpful and rude. Don't shop at American Eagle unless you want frustration and a headache.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've never been in American Eagle to try clothes on. Chances are, I never will again. They are analysis on lacking dressing room door and then not letting you into one of eight empty rooms for 20 minutes. I was PISSED at that point. And then disappeared again so they couldn't help me swap out 1 pair for a different size. Next time I guess I'll walk out half dressed, in my underwear, to get what I need. They offered all of this assistance and gave it to the people with big stacks of clothes. Guess I have to be rich to be welcome here. I felt tiny as an ant and so mad I could cuss them out by the time I left. Not going back unless a totally different set of people work there. Period. Horrible service. HORRIBLE.

American Eagle Outfitters Company Information