1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

177 American Eagle Outfitters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

After shopping with this company for 3 years and spending THOUSANDS of dollars during the time they have really went downhill with quality and service. I had lost about 100 pounds and needed a new wardrobe. After 2 years we started noticing all of our purchases was not being put on the account - the reward account program. Then I started calling and complaining. Well after a couple of months we started not be able to go to the link that showed the purchases at all. So I started calling complaining about that also. Nobody ever knew what was going on after several calls. We kept being told they was working on it going to fix it.

As I said we purchased a lot of stuff and due to sizing issues and quality we had to return stuff often. Then we got to noticing we was not getting back the total refunds. It was always a few cents here and there and even up to .40 and .50 cent difference. Well when it started being $1 and $2 and more we started complaining but during this time the store employee would say, "Oh it's just a tax difference." No you are supposed to get back every PENNY you paid. After calling and complaining and showing the receipts and order forms of what we paid the people we contacted through email BASICALLY said 1+1=5 . So this went on and then all of a sudden I noticed because I could at least see the total of reward points just not the history that about 11,000 points went missing everything.

So I emailed and ask what was going on that our points was missing and not added. We was told our reward account had been closed due to we had abused the reward program. So I demanded they show us how we abused the program. No response. So I call corporate office and we are told the same thing. So again I ask to be shown how we abused the program and was told several different times by different people, "I don't know because a different department handles that." I ask to speak to that department and was told, "Well you can't because I don't know who to let you talk to." WHAT! So I needed to return some stuff and when we got to the store the employee said, "We can't take no returns from you in front of other shoppers."

When I got home I called corporate OFFICE again and told them they couldn't do that and I demanded again to know what was going on. Then after talking to several more different people was told, "Oh we didn't call the store and tell them that and yes you can return what you need to and oh your account was closed by mistake. There have been some mistakes made on your account and we're sorry." Then I was told that what I needed to do was "get a new email address and open another account with us so you can shop." WHAT! Oh man talk about mad by this time. I told them, "No we wouldn't be getting a new email address and no we would not be shopping with AEO ANYMORE and would be canceling OUR card." This company does not care at all about loyal customers and when they mess up try to blame the customer.

So if it ever happens to you just DEMAND to be shown what you did wrong. IT'S like they have a bunch of children who don't even know how to add and subtract using a CALCULATOR running this company and they are running it in the ground. After looking online then at different reviews for this company I know I'm not alone. Especially on canceled orders. I would have something canceled then it would be about a month before the money would be released back to the card. Told that it's not in stock ANYMORE. Well one time I just turned around and reordered the same thing that had been canceled a week earlier due to them saying they have no more because usually the item will still stay up for sale a week or two and sure enough the order went through and a week later got a email it had been canceled and about a month again before the money released back to card.

So all I can think of is they are collecting interest off all that money on canceled orders for a month before refunding. I thought selling stuff you didn't have was fraud. Also I read they was sued by Abercrombie and Fitch for stealing clothing designs. Well for the past month I have been looking online at A&F website and noticed a blouse I liked a cropped military shirt. Well I have never seen one at AEO and yesterday I went to AEO website and they had their new shirts out and it was cropped military shirts. I thought well if I want something first just go to A&F.

Anyway if you think you are going to be treated good for being a loyal customer at AEO and rewarded for it you are wrong because it's obvious they just don't after a while want to live up to their reward program so you would be better off shopping somewhere that actually cares about their customers because AEO don't. I am still mad at myself for spending the money or rather my boyfriend spending so much money with a company and be treated the way we were. Also I didn't even go into all the details of how this company has treated us on several occasions. I just hope nobody else has to be put through what we were and again if you are ever accused of wrongdoing you demand to be shown EXACTLY what you were supposed to have done because it's obvious that the incompetent people that make mistakes want to put the blame off on the customer to save themselves so don't be taken.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I ordered a bunch of clothing online as a gift for my brother on 1/15/19. I paid extra to have shipped to his house before his bday which was 1/20/19. I paid with 3 gift cards, 2 were $25 online ecards I received for Christmas and 1 was a physical card with $81. I also paid $21 off of my MasterCard. I wake up the night after I placed the order to see that it had been cancelled due to “technical error”. Stating that all 8 items were out of stock? I called them immediately extremely irritated with the whole thing.

I ask them about the gift cards and my money, they refunded the two ecards right away but said that they couldn’t do the same for the physical card. They said it is automatically mailed out and will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. So now I’m out $81 at this point. Then they tell me my $21 won’t be refunded for 5-7 business days, so I’m out $102 as of now. It’s been 19 days as of right now and I have not received anything. I’ve called three times, and chatted online and I’m told something different every single time. Ready to sue over principal alone.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I order one men's fleece online. I checked after 7 days why they not shipped my order. They said they will ship on Monday. Today I checked again. They said system still searching near warehouse after 10 days. When I put my order they said they definitely delivered in 5 days. When I asked for cancel my order they said they could not I have to wait until system 5 attempt to search. Really that their failure if they not sure then why did they put online. This is 5 time bad experience so no more AE in future. Their service is so pathetic. So please don't buy item online without confirming. Their service is not reliable anymore...

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

The online code that I used was for AE card users only. I didn’t realize that at the time I entered the code. The code applied successfully and the message said that the discount would apply at completion. After completing my order, I realized that it didn’t apply. I immediately contacted their online customer service. I was unable to cancel the order or get a credit, per “Ashley” and “Jonathan.” There were no solutions given and one “rep” disconnected on me. I know they can do better and find it ridiculous they didn’t even try. I’m one person, but I will no longer order from here. I was only doing so for a requested gift anyway so I’ll spend a little more next time and go to Buckle. It a better product anyway.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

AE uses UPS which then hands off to USPS for final delivery. My item, ordered 11 days ago and purchased with the Standard Shipping option got almost as far to Orlando (I live in Tampa) before it reversed direction and traveled back to Virginia! (Almost where it started.) Customer service is a joke and made no attempt to apologize and just told me, and I quote "I guess the UPS truck broke down" when the tracking number I received clearly states that the package was in Orlando, transferred to USPS and then traveled NORTH! How could that have been an accident?? Customer service forms on the website limit you to 200 characters as well! This is a customer service form. NOT. A. TWEET. Extremely angry because I feel as if I've been blown off by American Eagle. Not shopping here again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Eagle Outfitters?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Received a shipping confirmation from American Eagle one week ago and my credit card was subsequently charged. However, one week later and the tracking status of my package is still "USPS currently awaiting package". Contacted customer service today and they were unable to provide any help aside from canceling my order, even though I did not ask them to. They agreed that they think my package is lost somewhere. I expected them to help fulfill my original order (e.g. tracking down my package, sending a replacement shipment). After asking the service rep how I could receive my package - he replied that he would open a request with their research team. I received no apologies or options to help me receive my package. At a minimum, I hope to receive a refund...

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had bought 3 pairs of jeans from them online and had to return due to size issues and returned it in a retail store. The guy did take the pants and issued the refund but my account still has not be updated with the refund amount. And their reward system is a bogus. I was supposed to get a 10$ off according to their promotional advertisement and I did not receive it, when called questioned and emailed nothing worked. They don’t even bother to answer other than redirecting to every possible person, when I asked what about my free jeans and a 15$ reward they say it’s pending for authorization. I was like what you deduct money promptly but don’t give back in time. I disconnected saying never will buy with them again.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I ordered before Black Friday to beat the crowds. I purchased 2 pair of jeans. They charged me for both but only mailed me a single pair as "to get me my shipment as quick as possible." I contacted customer service after no change in 10 days. They told me they would forward my issue onto Research and I would be contacted within 48 hours. 96 hours later I received an updated bill of sale saying my jeans order had been cancelled. No further explanation. I believe this to be false and misleading advertising as my money was tied up in a company when they seemed to not possess the property I paid for. Unprofessional. I did not receive so much as an apology.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I was charged twice for the same transaction. I was told by the store representative that she could not help me and that I should call my financial institution, which I did. My bank recommended that I try to remedy through the customer service website, which I did. They said that if they were to issue me a refund, it will take approximately 90 days which I find ridiculous. The charges go through immediately (twice) but a refund takes 3 months? I will never shop there again, in store or online. They are rude had have the worst customer service ever. I will probably never get my 88 dollars back.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I placed 3 orders, one which did not go through to American Eagle's system yet I was still charged to my credit card. They told me to replace the order by calling them. I asked for another option to replace order as my phone doesn't make international calls. They said calling is the only option. I then contacted my bank to cancel the payment and tell them to investigate. While this incident was happening, American Eagle decided to randomly cancel my 2nd order without my request and they refunded me only $3 of the payment for that particular order. I did not even ask for cancellation, they went ahead and did so. I am very disappointed with their poor online service towards international customers. The emails they send to me are not even professional at times. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Placed an order a week ago on 11/10. Shipping is a joke. Order still has not been shipped. They do not provide any communication on the order, you have to contact customer service. Customer Service says that the item isn't available in the warehouse, so they had to contact stores to find the item. They do not offer resolutions to keep customers. You would assume that an established company would have a better system for shipping, especially right before the holiday season.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

It's now been a month since I returned the items. AE claims they refunded me. Tried to blame my bank. Now, my refund is being looked at by the research team. Another 2 days. I don't anticipate getting my money back. I will never ever shop here again! I had to send everything back at my expense. Sizing was so inconsistent! Terrible quality!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I placed an order for my daughter for her Birthday for 5 items. The charge was for $140. 2 of the items shipped within a week but when she received the order only 1 of the items was there and it was damaged. We called customer service and were told that there was nothing they could do until all items shipped. They were checking their stores to find the other items so at this point it’s been over a wk since placing the original order. 2 wks later they finally find all of the items and ship the order. At this point they charged my card again for the item that was not with the first shipment but of course you have to wait for the refund. It is terrible customer service and we are now 3 wks past her bday and she has received 1 damaged item which by the way nothing was offered to make that right. I will not shop at American Eagle again. Very disappointing, I would give no stars if it were allowed!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I received a special from American Eagle the other day. 35% off (had code) on Online orders. I am a Military Veteran and wanted to take advantage of the additional 10% off. Customer service said I had to go to the store and place the online order through them so they could verify Military ID. So I went to the store in Tanger Mall in Deer Park NY. The clerk started to process my order when manager came over and said I could not use the Online code in the store because they had sales going on as well. I wouldn't have gone to the store if they had accepted my Military ID prior. The order was for over $2000 worth of clothes. It took the clerk over two hours to process the order and they would not accept or give me my Military discount on the order. They did give me the store sale item price and the online promo special.

Bottom line if I have to go to the store for the Military Discount then I should receive all available discounts. Store, Military, Promo. And the stores do not like me coming in asking them to do the online orders. It ties them up and they are very rude. I was at the point of raising my voice to the manager because of her reluctance to complete my order. I have had other negative experiences with their online orders. The whole system needs to change. I can't do business with American Eagle anymore, regardless of the discounts, the experience is not worth it.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Customers should be aware that this company will ask for a lot of personal information, such as a driver’s license, when returning an item. Today, in one of their Silicon Valley outlets, I returned two brand new items with tags and the original receipt, and I was unceremoniously asked my personal ID besides the credit card I used for the purchase. The store already had my email address, but I was required to give my phone number as well. When I asked for the reasons why so much info was needed, and who I could talk to or write to about the return policy, the cashier didn’t even answer, and one of her colleagues angrily turned the computer screen towards me and told me to look for myself that they just took my phone number and no address.

Then, when I requested again if there was someone to contact about the policy, the second associate finally told me to just go online. No further specification. She spoke while she was looking over some paperwork, no eye contact, basically giving me the clear message to get out of there. Neither associate seemed to care to understand why I was wary of showing a personal ID for a return in the first place, especially since I had my receipt and the garments had their tags on, and I had shown the credit card I had used to pay - that was already in their system.

The store wasn’t full, so they weren’t pressed by a line of customers, but they clearly had no intention of helping me understand their policy. If they had asked, I would have told them that in two other stores - not AE - my accounts had been hacked, that’s why I was so concerned. I wasn’t given a chance to explain or get the info I asked for, but rather I was treated like a bug to get rid of ASAP. I won’t go back. This company needs to rethink their return policy and train their associates to explain it and take an interest when a customer asks for legitimate clarifications, especially when there is no line in the store.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased four pairs of jeans online for my daughter. She tried them on and one of them did not fit - So I went to a store in MA to return it with my receipt. At the store I was asked for my driver's license in order to return the merchandise. I gave them my license but the whole idea was very off putting to say the least. The more I thought about, the more it felt like an intrusion and a violation of my private information. They did not need my driver's license to process the return as they had my credit card, my receipt, and the item in the original bag with all of the tags attached. I will not be shopping at AE in the future.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I ordered a jean and shirt at the beginning of the week and no problem. I saw the sale on 10/09 for 25$ jeans and decided to buy 2. My order was canceled for security reasons. Why? Because I use my boyfriend's work address... like the first order that went well. So what's the real problem? I've been told to do it again by PayPal if the address on it is the same as the shipping address I wanted to use and did so but AGAIN order canceled for security. Received an email saying that it was resolved and I could pass my order 24h later. When I tried to do so, the sale was finished (jeans now 54) and the models I wanted were gone! So the jeans I wanted to buy for 25$ each, and that I DID buy 2 times cause I follow the sales, were not available and too bad for me even though I was doing things right? Doesn't make me want to buy again online or else.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Been lied about a rewards system. Also, placed an order and had to cancel it because my rewards information wasn’t put in. So I call customer service speak to a manager to make sure the order is canceled. He specifically said the money wouldn’t be charged to my account as pending then I placed another order and now both are pending and it takes 5-7 business days for the pending to clear the bank. Mind you this is a manager and he I specifically asked that info and he lied. Plus their whole rewards system is cheap and I was lied to about how many points I had that I had ten dollars. Oh but when I called back again I don’t have ten. I have to earn another 290 points to get to 2500 then I’ll have $15. Horrible service. Called corporate they don’t do anything. Don’t ask if there is anything that can make you happy. Now granted a lady said the other day when I called she would give me 20% off and free shipping. 20% is nothing.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I bought 2 polo t-shirts for 50€. One of them was pink and after the first wash white spots appeared all over and the color was gone. The other one was white, it looked alright for some time. After a few washes tiny brown spots at the bottom of the shirt started appearing, it was as if you removed all color from that spot (size as tiny as a pin's head). I am very disappointed cause their clothes have nice designs and they are a new company in my market (Greece). I won't be buying again from them soon. Also, I am angry because with 50 euro I could have gotten better quality t-shirts from other stores.

Original review: May 10, 2018

So, I decided to shop AE from the Middle East, I'll never do this again. First off, they do not tell you before placing an order they don't ship to P.O. boxes or parcel forwarding companies so I was a little dumb to place an order. A charge immediately took place and received confirmation email, then, 1 minute later I receive an email saying the order was cancelled for security reasons. Apparently was told that through chatting with their useless customer service representatives who said they don't ship to P.O. boxes and do not charge cards from my country (Jordan) but what actually happened is an authorization hold that now after talking and sending many emails to their impolite, rude, unhelpful customer service representatives, I have to wait for 2 billing cycles to get the funds back to my card. 2 months to get your money back for an order that had been cancelled immediately by their security system.

Horrible experience, immature customer service representatives with great copy-paste skills replying to my emails. Frustrating experience with this company, if you don't charge cards from my country with you hold my money for 2 months!!! Btw, make sure if you want to buy online there's nothing wrong with the address, if so and you cancel an order to edit it, your money will be held for authorization for almost 2 weeks or 2 billing cycles to get it back. Never again AE!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been trying to order a swimsuit for roughly 2 months now. My order is cancelled no matter what I do for "verification issues." I have tried using another card and ordering over the phone without luck. When I call customer services they are very kind and try to help but my order is just cancelled again. This is so frustrating as the suit is not available in store and I am tired of having my order cancelled. If I can't figure this out soon I'm going to be going to another store for a suit.

Original review: April 24, 2018

They don't even deserve a star. I've give them a 0 if I could. Terrible service. I've been trying to contact them for a over a week about a missing/stolen package. I received one package but not the other. I was suppose to receive 2 packages and only received one. I've been calling customer service. Not getting anywhere. I got a email that said they're not responsible for lost/stolen packages and to start mailing my packages in a more secure area. All I wanted was them to send me my shorts I ordered and they can't do that. I even recorded 2 representatives on the phone getting so rude with me. I'm gonna let the news (media) hear about this and make a story.

They told me they're not responsible for lost stolen package but they sure are responsible taking my money. I live in a terrible neighborhood ok so in the email they told me to ship at a more secure area. I don't have a more secure area. I don't own another house. I'm not rich like your company and your customer service is terrible. I'm gonna share my experience with the world. Please do not shop here. It's horrible. I have a lot of things to do tomorrow. I'm returning $200 in clothes from 2 days ago at the store inside the mall and I'm returning the pink shorts since I didn't receive my two pairs of shorts.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Their jeans smell terrible! They must have changed manufacturers because I used to be able to buy their jeans without noticing any smells. Now they stink like formaldehyde (cancer-causing) and nothing takes the smell out of them. I've tried everything from vinegar to baking soda, including multiple washes. Avoid this company until they clean up their act and stay away from harmful chemicals in their manufacturing processes.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I just received my order and pre-washed my sweatshirt. The two sweatshirt came out with small holes in the cuff of the sleeves, neckline, and bottom of shirt. The quality of clothing is very underrated by the company. The camo leggings are very poor quality and not worth the money you pay. Please do not purchase any clothing from this company online. The order was very expensive and at very low class quality. Save your money!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I'm honestly shocked seeing so many negative reviews, as I've had nothing but positive experiences with AE and Aerie. I initially started ordering because they carry bras in my size, and they are not wildly expensive. They offer free shipping and returns with all bra purchases, simplifying what is largely a trial and error shopping experience. I've never had an issue with a return, and I've done many.

I had one single item get lost in transit. UPS was the last to handle it, and after several emails basically told me they "could not investigate". I contacted USPS, who had only received paperwork for the package, not the package itself. They apologized and suggested to contact the shipper. I contacted AE via email, and it took only a few days for them to get back to me and have the issue resolved. It was an order of ten items, one was lost in transit. I was refunded for the entire order. I corrected them, then I was told they only recharge for "large orders" and to consider the mistake a holiday gift. A+ customer service in my opinion. Besides that, the rewards program is GREAT! I've gotten several free bras, multiple $15 rewards and a $30 reward in less than a year of shopping with them.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Today I got a letter in the mail from Synchrony Bank concerning my American Eagle credit card account. The account was paid in full as of March 1st. They say since it was paid in full and not used since December it was canceled. I have had the account for approx 5 yrs and was never late on a payment, never! This place is a sham and I am glad they will no longer get a dime of my money. What a horrible way to do business.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I only buy clothes online from AEO now... Well, except for jeans because I prefer paying a bit less for pants. But I gravitated towards AE about a year and a half ago when they were offering generous rewards and pumped a fair bit of money into purchases on clearance items while discount codes were also available. HUGE savings on great stuff. Not the fastest shipping around, but they didn't bat an eye when I reported a shirt hadn't come in and they refunded that the next day. That shirt was actually delivered to the wrong house and it got to me in the end and I made even more purchases.

They discontinued the great rewards program they had, but it's still worthwhile. I'm an athletic build and the clothes are perfect for me. They skew a bit young but I'll fit that demo a few years more. I'll say this, I scoured the internet looking for other online clothes retailers when they ended their rewards program. I couldn't beat their prices, I had to come back. I'm 2 years in, no complaints other than what you would expect not trying clothes on before you buy them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Worst experience of my life ordering online. Ordered 9 items and 7 of my items were never delivered. Emailed and called customer service 3 times. They told me my products were on the way each time. Finally got an email saying I would be refunded my money but only received half the amount spend even after 5-7 business days which I also called about. They told me there was nothing they could do about it. So then I also just tried to get the order resent to me and they messed my order up yet again by shipping me the wrong pair of jeans. I was upset because I really like American Eagle and their products but this is unacceptable. I will no longer be making online orders on their website.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Do not order online!!! The worst experience ever. I live an hour away from the AE store. After driving to return my items the computer wouldn't allow her to return $50 worth of crap. So she gave me return label and packaged it all up for me. Well 3 weeks later I'm still waiting on my $$. Called customer service. They're about as clueless as a 2 year old. Ridiculous, crappy service. I'll never shop there again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have not had such a horrible experience with a credit card or card customer service EVER. I have a couple of other Synchrony bank accounts that I have never had the same issues with. The site has rejected my checking account info multiple times, however, I am not made aware until the payment has been rejected and the payment is late so a conveniently earned late fee is acquired. I don't know if I can even explain all of the issues I've experienced... I've spoken with customer service multiple times to no avail. I have live chatted with reps to no avail. If you were to check my payment history on my mortgage, car, other credit cards, etc., you will find ZERO late payments or payment rejections or any of the other issues consistently experienced with this account. It is as if they just don't want my money, my payments, my future business, et al.

I don't do online reviews and the only reason I am doing this one is because I went online to see if other customers have experienced similar issues and yes, yes they are. This Consumer Affairs site popped up in my search and due to my extreme aggravation I decided to post. Consumers: don't damage your credit or allow the stress and aggravation due to applying and/or using this credit card. Take it from me, worst credit card experience of my consumer history.

American Eagle Outfitters Company Information

www.ae.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.