1.20/5

145 AAFES Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 23, 2019

I placed an order online and continue to get delayed shipping emails. I tried to cancel the order and get told that I can only put in a request to cancel and it's not guaranteed and it can take 48-72 hours for someone to respond to the request. This is not okay. Please, don't list items in stock on the website if they're not and the orders are being sent off to a vendor who can simply delay shipping whenever they please. Is this really how AAFES believes service members, veterans, and their families should be treated? And the comments on Consumer Affairs about AAFES speaks volumes about this company. I am very disappointed and I can promise my family will never purchase anything else from here. We will stick with the Navy Exchange, a company that actually cares about their patrons.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Typical "don't give a **" government attitude, slow to process payments and when they are really slow, blame you for not sending the payment four weeks in advance and charge you interest they don't deserve. Customer service is nonexistent. Apparently they feel YOU OWE them your business and they don't have to do anything to earn it. That equals a company I don't need to do business with, no matter what business they are in or who they are. I don't need the grief and canceled my account.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2019
Today, I'm giving the STAR Card a 1-star. I wish I could give them a 0-star because not only of their disrespect for their customers, their interest rates, which is ridiculously high, and how they got in contract with the military is truly beyond me. What disappoints me the most is when families struggle and they forget to pay, three months go by, or whatever, when we struggle, well the Military STAR Card, the company, has found a way to just block any kinda attempt to make a payment online, and they block any attempt to make a payment over the phone. Now, sadly, if you're an older couple or older people, you don't know how to use BillPay. And number 2, the last way to do it is through check. Sadly, if you send your check seven days ahead of time, before the bill is due, and it arrives two days past, the Military STAR Card people will tell you it's not their fault, they'll run your credit as late. I've tried to get my status back, but they will not do it. They told me I have to do six consecutive payments through check, in a row, which is not guaranteed because something can happen with the mail, even, and they wouldn't take that into consideration at all. They literally said that to me on the phone. And their customer representatives are, to be honest, quite rude. Like I said, I would love to give this company 0 stars. Now why the military gave them a contract is truly beyond me because they don't deserve it because all they seem to care about is money. And they keep running charges and interests on my card that I don't know about. They definitely don't obey the six months 0% rule. For anybody looking to get the STAR Card, don't. I advise you not to. I advise you to get somebody else that cares about their customers, and about military families.
Original review: May 1, 2019

My husband and myself had a Star Card and I was no longer able to make payments on both cards. I was still paying my husband's since he is the service member. So clearly my account went delinquent. I was about 6 month behind. I went into the store in November 2018 to make a payment on mine and my husband's card and the worker behind the counter applied both payments to my husband's card. I had hopes that this one payment could hold me over until January (after the holidays) and then be good until we got our tax return and I could pay in full and close the account. So come January 2019 I get a letter that my CC has been sent to AAFES collections. Okay, I understand that I have put myself in this position by not being able to pay the card.

The letter states that I can make a $69 payment every month until the $2500 balance is paid off so that my husband's wages will not be garnished. So I respond within the week that I will follow the guidelines within the notice and make the payments. I go into the PX here in Germany and make my first payment January 20, 2019. Come February 20, 2019 my husband goes and makes the payment for me again only this time it is done differently. First time it's applied to the actual Star Card as a credit because there is currently no open card it can be applied to. Second time it is done as a TOP payment. So the following day I go to the PX and get it all sorted out. The first one was done wrong and the TOP payment was correct.

So I contact AAFES to have this issue fixed and come to find out none of the payments have been applied or can be found. So I send the payment receipts by fax to Lost Payments department to have this fixed. All the while they're reporting to Credit Bureaus that I am not paying. Then comes March and I was advised by AAFES Customer Service that it may be easier if I make the payments over the phone so that I did. No problem with March Payment but still can't seem to get Jan and Feb payments applied. I call AAFES who tells me I am 2 months behind and that soon my husband's wages will be at risk to be garnished. I contact IG because no one seems to know how to fix this problem. I am then forwarded to ECP and they contact me within 24 hours of my IG complaint.

Payments have been found and applied. Fast forward to April, I contact AAFES over the phone to make a payment and their system is down so they can't take payment over the phone. I go into the PX to make a payment and yet again my payment has been lost. I sent the payment receipts to AAFES email department because PX is closed. A week later still no response. I contacted the ECP department by email again to see if she can help with the problem. I don't understand how they can allow this to happen for 4 months. It's so many hoops to jump through so AAFES can get THEIR DAMN MONEY! No one seems to know how to fix it or what to do. Being on different time zones makes it so difficult to even talk to someone...

The collections department opens close to around the end of the work day here in Germany so now I have to find the time to contact them twice a week all the while making sure my husband is picked up from work, food is on the table and caring for my 3 young children. I've asked them to move the payment out of the collections department and I can set up automatic payments with the Star website so they are still ensured their money. They refuse to do this.. Hell at this point an allotment can be set up from my husband's pay monthly... I am sick of the constant run around and lack of help from AAFES. They are all about the money and in my opinion taking advantage of an already poorly paid service member. They are a monopoly in the military community.

Original review: April 20, 2019

If I could give this company 0 stars, I would. They do not honor their 0% financing on their “special promotions”. Heaven forbid you are in the desert or TDY and cannot monitor your statement every single month to follow up on them doing their job to input the promotion like they are supposed to. Then when you get home and have the time to call about it, you are told “Sorry! If it’s more than 60 days after the billing cycle so that’s your fault and we won’t change it!!!” I will never shop at an AAFES again. The prices are always higher than elsewhere and their customer service is garbage!! Save yourself the aggravation and go to Amazon or Target!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAFES?

Original review: April 4, 2019

Bought an engagement ring during a sale that had 0% interest and no payments for 12 months. Noticed after the new year they started charging interest, so I called and spoke to them. They said no problem, you're right, we apologize, and we'll get it taken care of. Since I'm currently deployed, I am unable to check my statement as much as I'd like to. Two months since the phone call and still charging interest, but now they say they won't honor the advertised deal. Shady business practices.

Original review: March 25, 2019

So we’ve had a ‘DPP’ (as it used to be called, Delayed Payment Program) since the early 90’s. Around 2010 I was medically retired and went through several hospitalizations with follow up care. My husband is a civilian & always has been but AAFES will extend credit to spouses & did to him as well. Anyway, we lived for a time totally dependent on his income until my transition from active duty to medically retired became permanent. Of course during that time he was ‘let go’ by his career job, even though he’d hung in there thru the 2008 housing crash, so we had to make decisions about what bills we could afford to pay & which ones had to wait. Let me say, “DON’T MAKE YOUR AAFES CREDIT CARD WAIT!”

Long story short, they refer your account out to a collection business that administered a $1,540 ‘one time collection fee’ on my $4,200 account balance plus fees, interest & penalties monthly amounting to $90/month. So after paying off $1,900 last spring my balance is $150 shy of $10,000! Remember, my limit was $4,500. There’s no way to catch up, make payments or get ahead when my monthly additions are $90 alone, that’s worse than college loans!

I’m not sure how AAFES is getting away with their total disregard for active duty & veterans nor how they’re allowed to use this collection company to apply disgusting fees they know full well no soldier, airman, seamen, etc. can afford to pay! That enrages me! I take full responsibility for not making my payments as well as my account going into collection status. I want AAFES to take responsibility for maltreatment towards us consumers as well as for these thugs they’ve hired to collect!

Last note? We’re blue collar people yet we haven’t received our tax refund for over 5 years (solely due to this collection company) and our balances are still excessive to the point we’ll never be able to pay them off - this seems unethical & illegal. I wish I knew someone who could help rid all BX & PX’s across America of the parent company who’s ** us all!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I received a Disability Severance pay from the military that was taxed. I spent some time in and out of physical therapy rehabilitation. During this time I fell behind in payments of my Star Card. When I called Star Card to pay a balance about $2000 and was informed that my account was transferred to TRANSWORLD SYSTEMS INC. I was informed by Transworld Systems Inc that interest and fees had caused my balance had more than tripled. This company wanted me to pay almost $12,000. I begged both companies to forgive some of the with no success. I agreed to pay a fee debited out of my bank account each month.

Fast forward... I filed a Saint Clair Claim with the IRS to get refunded my Disability Severance pay money that the IRS took out for taxes. Unfortunately, I received a letter in the mail stating that Transworld Systems Inc had taken my entire Disability Severance refund. Neither of these companies gave me the opportunity to re-negotiate a fair settlement for the interest. I’m behind in mortgage and was planning to clean my credit up with the refund money.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Back in 2011 AAFES let me as a civilian open up an account because I was married to a military service member. After my divorce in 2015 I attempted many times to reach out to Aafes to pay off my debt. I NEVER received an responses back, written letters, calls and emails. And my email hasn't change in over 10 years now. Without notice, they sent my account to collection in 2016. Still no attempt as responding or reaching out to me. This year (3 years after sent to collections) They took my tax refund (federal and state). My balance that was updated just Feb 23rd of this year on my credit report was a balance of $4,011 for an original debt of only $2,550. I got $300 of my tax return back (the total was a little over $4800). Why did the company take even more than what I owe. Why no response. Nothing!!

I am a single mom of 4. Then almost 2 years ago I lost my house in a fire and was depending on this new tax return since my kids have medical issues, and this company offsets after REFUSAL to respond and settle. Money hungry company. I understand I had a debt. I was trying to settle and make payments and pay it. But thanks to Aafes they refused and sent it to collections to double my account owed and KEEPS ADDING MORE TO IT!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

To the CEO of AAFES, Tom Shull I hope you’re reading all these reviews. The majority if not all are 1 star reviews made by military personnel, prior service, and retired servicemen. You of all people should be hurt the most when reading these reviews. This is how soldiers are being treated. ARE YOU GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THESE ISSUES? Start with your customer service reps and management.

On Jan 19 2019, I placed an order online for an item that was on sale, mind you that this item although on sale was not cheap, it was $1,203.00. 4 days, almost 5 days later I receive an email from AAFES stating that my order has been canceled. I call the online customer service and I asked why my order has been canceled and they tell me that the company made a mistake and priced the item incorrectly so I asked why then did it take almost 5 days later to be notified that this order has been canceled.

Without explaining to me why it took them almost 5 days to notify me, they had the nerve to revert straight to their terms and conditions and told me that it states on there that they can cancel items anytime if they choose to. Keep in mind that on the day I ordered this item the funds were already subtracted from my total bank account balance, so for the next 4 almost 5 days I was out $1,203.00. It was very inconvenient, I was being more conservative on my spending within those 4 days.

I ask to speak to a manager and I explain to her what happened and she also reverts to the terms and conditions. Great training on your employee customer service representatives there AAFES, just train them like rude robots. I told them to compensate me for all the trouble and inconvenience and they offer me a 5% off my next order lol, what a bunch of cheap arses. This is a multi bububu-billion dollar company that leeches off soldiers serving in the military. 5%, Really?!? I still can’t get over that.

I have been a loyal customer with AAFES and a MILSTAR card holder for over a decade and this is the treatment I get for mistakes that the company made. I told the manager that I don’t even want their 5% and then she said “okay byyye” and just hung up. This is a manager for customer service? Wow!! Unbelievable. I will never shop with AAFES again. I will not support a company that treats customers and soldiers this way. Seems they are so one sided, it’s their way or the highway.

Needless to say I will be closing my account with these NAZIs. They overprice their items anyways, even without the taxes it’s still a ripoff. Also their website is so ghetto, again, a multi bububu-billion dollar company can’t even manage to set up a proper website. Even though I know they don’t give a crap, they just lost a over a decade loyal customer. Sincerely yours, Sergeant, US Army.

AAFES Company Information