1.23/5
Based on 115 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

130 AAFES Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews on the STAR card before I got one. How in the world that I can make payments, they apparently accepts the payment, but when you check your balance, you have a past due balance. If you call, they will tell you that the bank returned the payment. Really? Never had a problem with making a payment online with any other online vendor, but the bank will send the payment back. Maybe the bank know AAFES is full of **? One star rating is WAAAYYY too much of a good thing.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I would give zero stars if I could. I ordered a sofa and sofa table manufactured by Ashley on September 11. The items said in stock. A week later, I contacted AAFES via chat to confirm the shipping time-frame. I was told the items would be shipped on October 1st. Meanwhile, I gave my sofa away based on what I was communicated. On Oct 3, I received an email from Mallory ** with it being cc'd to Ronn ** stating the items were on back-order until October 26th, and I could cancel by Oct 13th if I didn't want the items any longer.

I replied to let her know that this is not good service to have a customer waiting so long before notifying him or her of a delay. I also expressed how dissatisfied I was with how military customers received such subpar service. I was contacted via phone and told that if I kept the items, I would receive a 10% discount for being inconvenienced. Fast forward to Oct 29th. I still have not received the items, although my account said the items were shipped on October 17th, AND my card was charged with NO DISCOUNT. I once again contacted Mallory and cc'd Ronn that I had not received anything and had not been contacted by anyone for delivery if the items were, indeed, shipped on the 17th.

I got no response from either, and on today, the 31st, I receive and email stating I have been issued a refund, and they are sorry the items did not meet my expectation. How can I return an item if I never received it? What kind of service is this? This is so unprofessional. I am very disappointed to see that the service military exchange customers receive is total garbage. This is unacceptable. Ive been waiting for a sofa and table for over a month for it to be canceled with no regards to how this makes me feel as a customer. No call or anything... I will never order anything from AAFES again!!!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 20, 2018

Purchase a refrigerator online November 11, 2017, was delivered on December 2, 2017 but wasn’t set-up till December 30, 2017. While checking out I notice a few dents, called customer service on January 3, 2018, was told, "Someone will call you back." They never end called so I called them a few weeks later & was told to contact Samsung so I did but Samsung rep informed me that the exchange should handle that problem so I called. Someone would be getting back with me. No ever called me back, so today June 20, 2018, I was told they could pick up or give me a discount of $300 dollars. I didn’t believe that was enough if they had looked at the pictures so I said, "You can pick it up."

So the lady put me on hold and came back with, "Are you using the refrigerator," I said yes. She then informed me, "We cannot pick it up because you are using it & we can’t give you the $300 dollar discount because you turned it down." This went on for about a hour, then she came back with, "We can give you 10% off your next purchase, then she back with 15% our final offer next purchase. I said no. To this day no one from Military Star has never called me back, I also was told by the customer service today that it’s not their fault no one called me back. I made the called about the problem but they act like I didn’t call enough. Their customer service people are rude & unprofessional and they don’t keep or honor their word. Please be careful dealing with this company.

Original review: May 30, 2018

5/29/2018: Tried to order a $399 Vitamix Blender this date. Went through all the questions on the Website but yet there simply was no place in which to Submit my order. Consequently, I do not know if my order was placed or not and do not know how to budget in a situation such as this! I then tried to contact AAFES for a Customer Review. I, again, went all through the questions only to find out that there was no place to submit my answers. I have never dealt with such idiocracy before. If AAFES was designed to be a pleasurable experience for the veteran, IT CERTAINLY IS NOT. A LOT OF TIME HAS BEEN WASTED FOR NOTHING!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I placed a couple of orders with AAFES's ShopMyExchange.com in the last 6 months. One order arrived quickly and as described. The other order was for a limited edition $400 item that was listed as in stock, but it didn't ship. Online merchants should not be listing items as "in stock" and overselling items that they don't actually have. Beware of AAFES / ShopMyExchange when shopping for high demand or limited edition items.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAFES?

Original review: April 16, 2018

Good luck on getting them to ACTUALLY report your CURRENT BALANCE not your OLD BALANCE... It will reflect on your credit report, and although you have made payments on time at 100.00 increments you still get dinged on your credit card usage which makes it Your score go down, that's the catch 22. They don't tell you about with this card, and then will act as if it's an issue to correct something that should be done automatically, so basically you have to call and beg them to do their job. No special favors being asked...

I speak from my experience. Was in process of getting a loan but because of this card I got denied and have to wait for another 90 days to reapply for a loan to which I should have been approved for but was not due to this card taking my score down from 653 to 615 honestly in a matter of a day... Avoid this card. It's unknown stuff like this that's hurting us Veterans and this card is suppose to Help us not Hurt us. No matter if you are paying it still will make your credit bad, avoid this headache, and I hate to say that.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We tried to make a payment in store, but didn't have the card with us. Customer service was great and helpful, but the E.C.P. rep gave the C.S. rep in store the WRONG ACCOUNT NUMBER. My payment wasn't able to be refunded for a few days, and I still had to make a payment on top of that to the correct account. Recently, we tried to make a payment online, and thankfully I save the confirmation with the amount I selected to pay, and their wonderful system changed the payment amount and increased it by more than double. I selected "minimum payment" when I paid it online, and I saved that confirmation screen that verified the amount due that was the minimum payment.

Also got an email stating that payment was past due... Get this; it was due on April 20th, 2018... Email was sent March 24th, 2018. Let that sink in. E.C.P. is trying to charge us a late fee, because our bank disputed the charge and pulled the payment back, because that was an unauthorized amount that was debited. I sent them the payment confirmation to confirm with the bank, and they were able to see that more than double our payment was illegally taken out of our account. We call them to figure it out, and first person a few days ago tells us to dispute it through our bank and tells us that they have no idea what happened, and claims everything on their end looks fine.

Call again today to have the late fee removed, so I can make the payment, and was told by a manager that "there's no AAFES error". Their claim is I selected minimum payment due, and the payment they took was the minimum due. I did selected minimum due, but what their system changed it to and what I have confirmation of as far as what the minimum due was are two COMPLETELY different amounts by about $70. If you're a fan of your money going to random accounts, and a fan of your payments being changed, then go ahead and sign right up. I can't say that I know anyone who likes their money being messed with. I've emailed proof of the authorized payment amount, so all I can say is this late fee BETTER be removed, or they're going to have charges for theft from that withdrawal brought on them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Don't get one, avoid the military star card as much as possible. As some had already stated. Their APR is insanely high and an interest fee that is far beyond any credit card or loan shark. My wages are garnished bi-monthly. They take any amount in accordance to your debt. And if your account made it to collections, you'll have to pay that collections agency too. Finding a way to pay them off is difficult. Knowing that they can garnish tax returns and take any known finances made. The Exchange Credit Program is a RIP OFF and they're the worst. ** crooks!!! I tell customers to avoid that card. If you already have one, pay it off and close it. 10% off meals and other deals, not worth the effort. I could settle for a $1.00 sandwich at McDonald's and still be content.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

This is the worst experience I've ever had with a credit card company. They made mistakes by telling me I had no balance due whenever I went to them on multiple occasions. They hurt my credit score while my credit card was cut up and they refuse to fix their own mistakes. I would 100% recommend anyone to never use this Military Star Card. They are not here to help, even when they made mistakes themselves.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I typically would never make a furniture purchase online. The budget was tight. Our current couches were falling apart and the Shop My Exchange online had a deal on Ashley furniture for 20% off purchase price and no interest no payments for 18 months. My husband (retired Navy Seabee) and I checked out the couches and decided on a sectional with 3 recliners. They were delivered on 10/19/17. About a week or so later I noticed the stitching was coming out of the left side recliner. Being that it was a sectional that seat was fully removable. I contacted customer service & reported the issue the first week of November. I was advised that the stand alone recliner could not be returned and replaced that I had to return the entire sectional and repurchase. While that was a pain point I was fine with it. I was told that the claim was being submitted and someone would be in touch with me.

I asked if the return and repurchase and delivery could happen prior to Thanksgiving because I was hosting Thanksgiving and had family coming in from out of state. My father who hadnt been back home for the holidays in over 10 years and my son was moving home due to medical conditions. I was advised that they were extremely backed up and the process would be lengthy. This wasn't ok with me but I decided I would address that when contacted by a representative. Thanksgiving came and went and no contact was made by a representative. On 12/13/17 I received an email at 09:30 pm from Jessica ** in the Customer Care Escalation Team stating that I had 2 days to submit pictures of the sectional and damage in order for a call tag to be issued to have the item picked up.

I was not comfortable with not knowing the process, when it would be picked up and when I could order a new one and receive it as Christmas was right around the corner. I called customer service on 12/14/17 and expressed my concern and asked to speak with Jessica ** in the Customer Care Escalation Team. I was told she was not available. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was connected to a supervisor by the name of Don. I explained my concerns and that I had questions. That prior to sending in pictures and having the pick up process begin I wanted to understand the process because this was now my only couch. He seemed to understand but was unable to answer my questions and stated he would have Jessica ** call me that evening or the following day because she was in a meeting. The next day came and went and I had not heard from anyone.

I was busy with getting ready for Christmas and bringing my son to cardiologists and gastrointestinal doctors. I decided to continue to wait for a call and if not received I would contact them after the holidays. Then on 12/21/17 I received another email at 09:30pm with no signature stating that apparently I was having difficulties sending the pictures and to send them to a different email address. I was livid, but again was going to call after the holidays if no phone call received. I was convinced that someone would call me if they didn't receive a response to make sure I was receiving the emails or in case I had not seen the emails. On 12/30/17, at 09:30 pm on a Saturday night, 2 days before New Years I received another email stating the claim was being closed with no further review. Again, I am livid.

I called Customer Service on 1/2/18 and spoke to a representative and request to be transferred to the Customer Care Escalation Team, they refused. I requested to speak to a supervisor, I was transferred to Josephine. I explained the situation and why I did not send the pictures in, that I had called to get some clarification and to understand the process and that I was promised a return call. She berated me stating that I received emails and I stated I know. I did but why would you close a claim before calling customer. She continued to state I received emails and I told her, "I don't care if you sent a message in the sky, I was promised a call and I expected a call." I had questions and was not comfortable moving forward without understanding the process. I asked her to transfer me to the Customer Care Escalation Team and she refused. I hung up and then called back.

I spoke to a customer service representative and explained the situation again. They supposedly transferred me to the Customer Care Escalation Team and I spoke to a "supervisor" by the name of Mike ** who was extremely rude and condescending. I once again explained the entire situation and he would say things like, "I don't think you want us to exchange the sectional." When I told him that that is not true I just wanted to speak to someone to understand the process because it was my ONLY couch and I wanted to know how long I would be without a couch he said, "Well, what do you think would happen?" I said, "I DONT KNOW. THAT IS WHY I CALLED!" I asked if it was their policy to not call customers to confirm if they even received an email or to give them the courtesy of a call. If it was policy to be so extremely impersonal. He continued to berate me about being contacted by email.

I asked him if he was really a supervisor and why would I be told I would get a phone call and never get one. That I have never known of any customer service person, especially someone in management to be so rude and calloused to a paying customer. He finally explained the process to me in a very rude manner, that after I submit the pictures that is when someone would call me to either offer me a % off of the purchase or to schedule an exchange. I asked him to reopen the claim and he said he would. He confirmed that I would send the pictures in response to the first email. I stated I would. I asked him for the name of the department manager and he provided me with the name of Josie **. I requested her email and he provided it to me. On January 3, 2018 on sent the pictures in response to the email. By January 9th I still had not received a response.

At this time I wrote a letter to the Dallas corporate headquarter and addressed it to Phillip ** the head of Administration. I wrote Josie ** and email and attached a copy of the complaint letter. As of today, 1/12/2018 I still have received no response. I called the customer service number and spoke to a supervisor by the name of Kathy she stated that once a claim is closed it can not be reopened it had to be reported again, once again I am livid and went through explaining the entire issue I have been having, what Mike ** told me and that I have filed a former complaint with their corporate headquarters in Dallas and that letter should almost be there. She put me on hold and asked me to send the pictures again because they did not receive them. I said I would.

After I got off the phone I first went and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I then submitted the pictures again, cc'd this Josie **, stated that I had filed a formal complaint with BBB and their corporate office and now I am waiting as I complain here on Consumer Affairs. I see that I am good company and not alone with the horrendous customer service I have received. My husband served 20 years honorably with the Seabees in the United States Navy. Being able to shop at the Exchange is supposed to be one of the benefits of service, however it has been more of a headache than a benefit. I doubt I will EVER purchase such a large ticket item from them again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

It has taken 18 days since first contacting customer support to make this return (FedEx picked it up today) and I am sure getting a refund will be as bad or worse. From first contact the information on return has been wrong and ridiculously cumbersome. The first customer rep told me to return via USPS and gave me a mailing address. I called customer service again to verify this and was told, no computers have to be picked up by FedEx and it would take 12-14 days for the pickup.

I also emailed customer service to be sure the information I got was correct and to have a paper trail. The email response included a caller ID tag and I was told FedEx would call to schedule a pick up (14-15 December per the phone call customer rep). On 15 Dec I called FedEx and was told the number I gave them wasn't in their system. I called customer service again and learned the call tag number was wrong and was given another number. I called FedEx and asked if it were possible to take the package to a FedEx location (leaving a package outside in the city = definite theft). The FedEx rep said yes and the FedEx office could print the label and return shipment could begin there.

When I went to the FedEx office I was told no they couldn't do that with the call tag number. They could only print a shipping label if I had an account number. I then called FedEx and was told the same thing and when I gave the call tag number the rep said she couldn't find it in their system. When I checked the number online it appeared there was a pick up attempt on 12 December although there was no address associated with the attempt and no other attempts (note I had never been called to schedule a pick up).

I called AAFES customer service 21 Dec and was told a PDF shipping label would be sent via email in 1 to 2 hours after the phone call. After 8 hours I called customer service and was told it takes a long time since they are very busy. The rep went through the usual spiel before I asked her to please read all of the previous communication with customer service. She then had a manager obtain another call tag from FedEx. I again reiterated I could not leave the package on the street. The customer service manager was on the phone with FedEx and received reassurance the courier would call me and I could bring the package out to the courier.

I left a note on the gate to my house asking the courier to call or text me when they arrived. I called FedEx this morning to reconfirm this would be done. I was told no. The couriers don't usually use their personal phones this way but he did call the local dispatcher and asked if the courier would call me although he could not guarantee this. He reiterated pick up would be between 8 AM and 8 PM. Last but not least being an independent contractor this circus cost a day's pay as I had to be home to wait for package pick up. Hopefully AAFES will fix this problem.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

AAFES charges more in interest and penalties than any credit card company due to their relationship with the US Government. Congress has given them special protections by allowing them to act as a government agency in so that they may garnish wages and taxes directly without a court order. After going through a very difficult divorce, and attempting to pay off my debt, I was told my $4,000 balance has jumped to $9,000 after ONE year. $2400 in interest and the $2600 in penalties. This is so ridiculous as to be criminal.

I have already contacted my Senators office, and am looking into bringing AAFES to court over the balance. I believe in paying one's debts, what I will not abide by is a garbage company pretending they are Military approved organization intended to help soldiers. They were forced to pay back soldiers millions in 2010 when they ILLEGALLY took soldiers pay for debts that were inflated or not even owed. STAY AWAY from this company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

About 22 years ago I was stupid enough to open an AAFES charge card. I purchased some items for our home we lost after I was medically retired and wasn't paid for 6 months pending my medical separation. I needed surgery and was unable to work during that 6 month period which screwed our finances and lives up but this was unplanned.

I was able to get my payments lowered but about 4 years ago both of my parents were hospitalized and my mother almost died. I also had follow-up surgery and during that time my bank account was hacked and I forgot to update my account for my AAFES payment. I got a call and updated it with them and told them to draft a payment ASAP. Well, I didn't follow-up to see if the payment was made because I assumed it WAS! I was working full-time and taking care of my parents along with dealing with school.

I received another missed payment notification and a letter telling me my account went into collections! I immediately called and asked to catch up on my payments but was not given an ounce of pity or help. I called several times asking to speak with managers to get my payments back on track but it didn't happen. They were rude. Fast forward to this week and I get a letter of intent to garnish my wages. That's total crap because the amount I really owe is less than half they will screw me for. And they wrote that debt off and will collect DOUBLE which means they collected triple of the original amount. Congress should stop them from tapping our checks. They should have to go to COURT and give us a chance to meet a judge and plea our cases. No, instead they screw us over. What a mistake.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I am in the market for basketball hoop as Birthday gift for my grandson. Have inquired with AAFES as to whether what is included in this basketball hoop as to whether the BACKBOARD, POLE, RIM, NET and all parts as shown in picture are included. Have talk to Manager of AAFES and told me he will check it out with the buyer who at the time was on vacation. Don't understand. Instead of checking with the distributor of this item he has to check it with the previous buyer. Don't make sense. I just want to make sure everything is included cause had the experience before of buying basketball hoop and didn't know that all they were sending me was the BACKBOARD. Was also told that what you see in the picture doesn't necessary mean you'll get the whole thing. So now I want to make sure I know exactly what I am buying before I buy an item.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have had AAFES take out unannounced and unauthorized payments from my checking account. Not only once but twice. They ignore set payments and do what they want to. Luckily, my bank was able to set them straight and correct their errors. They would not accept responsibility for their actions. They are in the business for screwing over hard working military personnel. If you are a young Soldier wanting a card. My best advice would be to not get one. They have high APRs and find ways to take advantage of military personnel. Do not become an unhappy customer.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I loved this card. Never had any issues. They never gave me any problems with returns. Everyone at the exchange was extremely professional and I loved their perks and sales. They are Bankruptcy friendly. They will give you another chance and they give you more than enough in regards to CL. The payments are reasonable. I can't say enough about them never had any issues.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have attempted since March 2017 to make an online payment since I had established this account in 1995. My spouse who happens to the veteran had set up an automatic draft each month from his personal checking. His account was in the negative on three consecutive months when AAFES attempted to draft the account. I had no knowledge of the insufficient funds and attempted to make an online payment in March 2017. I called customer service to determine the status/problem with the account since it is in my name. I requested at that time to remove the restriction from my account.

Here we are three months later and I attempted to pay online tonight. After two attempts to pay online, I could not access my account to make a payment. I then called customer service and spoke with Audrey, a customer service representative. I received a denial from her to remove the "denial request". Therefore, I asked to speak to her supervisor, Tasha, who also stated she could not remove the denial request and furthermore agreed with me that I should have been notified in writing of the denial to remove the freeze on my payments except in an exchange or mailing to AAFES. Had I known prior to the date due on my account, I would have mailed the payment to the company. Effective communication no longer exists along with common sense and customer-friendly services!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I've been with AAFES for years and never had any issues until now. I was out of town and forgot to pay my bill almost a month behind. When I returned I called them to pay my past due amount. I authorized them to withdraw "X" amount and it was confirmed by them. The next day I checked to see if the payment went through and to my surprise they not only took the payment, but also the next payment that wasn't even due. I called and got the runaround. Oh yeah a sorry too. This is illegal!

Original review: May 13, 2017

Do not bother getting this insurance. AAFES does not honor it. I purchased a two-year replacement. TV broke two months ago, they said, "Contact Samsung". Samsung approved service centers are over an hour away and open M-F. Close at 5. I work daily. Samsung said, "Call insurance and get replacement now." Asurion and AAFES will not honor their own warranty. Just disgusted that they would do such a scheme. Military at its finest.

Original review: April 28, 2017

DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM THESE GUYS! THEY ARE SUPER CROOKED. Something happened around 5 years ago which involved me ACCIDENTALLY trying to make a payment with a cancelled credit card. I messed up with that, ya I understand, but this created an unfixable problem with my account. I have called management, talked to the individuals working at the AAFES customer service desk located in the base's PX trying to fix my problem, but all employees that I have talked to about my issue have informed me that the problem cannot be fixed, and I must work around it.

What is the problem? I cannot pay my balance, they will not accept any form of payment to my credit card. I cannot go in because I no longer belong to the Army so the ladies at the desk said I cannot come in and pay this way anymore. I cannot pay online, I cannot pay over the phone or mail, they will not accept my payments. My credit score has dropped 100 from 760 to 649, I owe them 288.25 dollars that is crippling my credit. I have called in desperation one last time looking reprieve, hoping the customer service representative could give me advice. He said I could pay over NFCU's bill pay, I did that and well they took my money but they did not update my balance, so I know for a fact they will take my money, they just do not want to update my balance.

So I am at an end here, I owe 288.25, it is ruining my credit and they will take my money but they will not update my balance. After years of struggling with this issue I have decided to look for a lawyer to help me with this. I have no idea what to do, I do not even understand how a business can do this if you are trying to pay it. This is silly, but the only option I feel I have is to hire a lawyer. I am pretty conflicted by this issue.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Last year, I was stationed in the UK. I did not expect to need a new bed during the time. I would be overseas, but things came up, and I found myself in need of a bigger bed. Several months ago, I began looking for the bed that would best suit my needs and, upon finding out that UK beds are MUCH smaller than American, I turned to AAFES. I found the perfect bed on the ShopMyExchange website but found out that they won't ship overseas. I tried to order the same bed through my local base exchange but was told that the online AAFES had nothing to do with the physical location AAFES. WHAT?! Ok, whatever.

I went back online to the "overseas customers" tab and found out about the program that lets you get furniture delivered to the store, and then you can just pick it up yourself. The only catch was, you had to order through the store. I did the Live Chat option on the website to make sure I understood what I needed to do. The gentleman told me that, yes, the bed I wanted could definitely be shipped overseas, and that all I needed to do was place the order at my local exchange's customer service counter. So back to the store I went. Got to the customer service counter and, while they knew the program I was talking about, they had to send me to the furniture department. I go back over there, and THIS time, they said that it shouldn't be a problem. Wrote down the name and item number of what I wanted and said they would check to see if it could be ordered. IF... it could be ordered.

Up to this point, I had been dealing with AAFES on this issue alone for over a month. When they said they had to see IF it could be ordered, they said it would take a MINIMUM of another MONTH to get an answer. Fine. I waited my month and went back to check. The request had never been submitted. I placed it again and called a week later, just to see if I was being given the runaround. I was told that AAFES didn't find it worth their while to have to ship only one bed. EXCUSE ME?!

What happened to it taking a month to get an answer? Was I lied to the first time or the second? and if I'm the one willing to pay my own money for the item, and the shipping and handling, how exactly is it "Not worth their while"? When all is said and done, AAFES has wasted over 2 months of my time giving me the run around (honestly, if they had given me a straight answer the first time, AND I hadn't got 2 OPPOSITE bits of information from the SAME company, I would have moved on), but they have also lost any future business for large item purchases from me. For a company that's supposedly has Service Member's best interests at heart, apparently it doesn't apply to their overseas customers.

Original review: March 16, 2017

There is current help for those Vets and civil service workers out there for debt clearance live lawsuits. For the Star Card just search current AAFES lawsuits. They are out there and if you worked for them overseas between the year of 2001 and 2008 they owe you OHA Over Sea Housing Allowance if you worked full time. Get them. Do not allow them to take your SSI or your Tax returns. They are the biggest scum of the earth for ripping off Vets and those who protect our Freedoms!!!

Original review: March 4, 2017

Military Star card a credit trap. Had a 2000 credit limit, used my card for military clothing, fuel sometimes. So basically I had a 1800 dollar balance on my card. My last payment was the last month of service of 640.00 dollars bringing it down to 1260.00. I could no longer make payments online through AAFES because my payments were set up for automatic withdrawal and they would always try to take the payment before I was even paid. Restricting me from making payments. I left the military due to a career ending injury after my second enlistment was complete. I worked for 6 months with Lockheed Martin and then we were laid off. Economy bad now. Unemployed with no income. So couldn't make payments on anything. Could not find work. Applied for tons of jobs and nothing.

So I left Virginia went to Tennessee hoping for better results. No work so unemployed for a year. So start working off and on back in Virginia as a truck driver. I have 894.00 deducted from my 2012 taxes. 1263.00 deducted from my 2013 taxes all of it. 2014 they take 1632.00 taxes all of it. 2015 they take 240.00. My balance was only 1260.00. That is a total of 4039.00 dollars. So the account should have been paid right. I already gave them 2X the amount. Well I receive a certified letter that they are going to garnish 15% of my wages for a debt of 1800.00 Dollars. So I was really angry and hate AAFES and will never conduct business with them or any other government agency again. Stay away from the Military Star Card. It has its advantages until you need to pay it off. I have nothing nice to say about them and I wish I never even went in the military. I have lost all respect and patience for this worthless country.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Well I'm starting to say this someone had used my name which is fraud and now I'm stuck paying 800.00. So I did the deed of last year but the irs paid it off now which I never knew about the account at all I get a charge. I've been out since May 2014. Dang it. This is the most outrageous fraudulent thing happened. Why doesn't someone fix this. I'm contacting the white house for this.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

I'm not satisfied one bit by the way customer service has been. I've been called to reschedule twice so far, I've been waiting for my delivery for over a month now. They call me at noon on the day they are suppose to deliver and tell me that it was the last package and they didn't have time to deliver. I know the delivery company had nothing to do with AAFES but they played a part. I'm not usually an impatient person but this really bugs me!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I ordered 3 pair of men's athletic shoes at the same time. I received 2 pair - one of which was the wrong size. I have yet to receive the 3rd pair, even after numerous inquiries. It's been over 6 weeks since I placed the order and the status is still "Order Processing". I ordered a Safari Hat with a chin strap and received some sort of Fedora Hat. I followed the return instructions and had to pay $13.05 to send it back. Customer service told me that I cannot be reimbursed the $13.05 because I didn't make a copy of the receipt. I was told that "if I didn't like it, I should call a manager" and was given the number to call.

I called and asked for a manager - talked to a woman named Crystal. She was very apologetic and promised to take care of all of my concerns. It was a Sunday, but she promised to contact the vendor about the missing shoes. She reordered the hat and said she was giving me a discount and waiving the shipping fee. I told her that I was concerned about getting the wrong hat again. She assured me that she was annotating my account and that it would not happen again.

I received the package today... Same wrong hat! The charge did NOT reflect any discount. All they did was take the correct sticker and put it on a different hat. The invoice was a copy from the first shipment. Crystal had told me that she would contact the vendor about the missing shoes and that I would know by Wednesday what the order status was. It's Thursday and I haven't heard anything.

I called and asked to speak to Crystal and of course, she was busy. She is supposed to call me back. I would be very surprised if she did. The treatment that I have received from these people is beyond unacceptable - to anyone - not just a veteran. It is utterly shameful that there should be this low a quality of service - in any business. The whole system need to be investigated and cleaned up. It's a disgrace and I am seriously considering contacting Senator McCain. I am a veteran senior citizen on a fixed income. I cannot afford to finance this company's incompetence...

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Called to reset online password. ** female employee was rude, condescending and demanded I repeat account number over a dozen times. Freaked out because she thought she was on speaker phone and someone else would be listening to her being rude. After being ordered to repeat everything a dozen times, give name, rank and serial number, I asked her to repeat it back to me, she refused and said she would not. Apparently, it's a one way- order military and veterans around but can't take orders herself. They have turned the exchange into the VA hospitals with rude, narcissistic employees who get off on ordering people around and demanding respect but giving none, like the ** female 911 operator who hung up on thousands of emergency calls because "ain't nobody got time for this." AAFES customer service agents apparently have no time for customers or serving them, so why are we wasting tax payer money paying them for it?

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was on hold for over 20 minutes while "Susan" went and found another ** female to pose as a supervisor. When I told her she wasn't a supervisor, she hung up on me, but not before I heard giggling in the background. I hope Trump cleans out the entire military system, including our military exchanges. Trump needs to fire all government employees and replace them with civilians who fear being fired for something like this.

I had to call back again several times to tell AAFES I ordered two items and got charged for three and only received one. I wanted to cancel the one I didn't receive because the merchandise was substandard and overpriced and absolutely nothing like the picture or description. It was cheaply made and didn't even work. Employee told me "just refuse it" but I can't because they leave it at the door. She said, just pay to return it. Yeah, with no explanation, no paperwork, no proof it was returned, no refund. Just make it even easier for me to get ripped off even more. This is dollar store merchandise that isn't worth the money and the only reason I thought it might be quality is because it came from brand name store "Office Depot". But apparently they place all the merchandise they can't sell on AAFES because it's online and such a hassle to return and get a refund.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I have used AAFES since 2010 and paid faithfully every month. Then in June of last year 2015, I stopped receiving bills. I called and was told they'd send one right out. Two weeks later I called again and was told the same thing. This went on for six weeks. Then I get a notice from a collection agency and would give me no reason why the bills were stopped. AAFES gave no info except that it was in the collection agency's hands. Now they are going to attach my social security disability (service connected) checks.

I've researched online and it seems they can do so and the worst part is that if you owe $3000, you will end up paying back $10,000 (if you're lucky). They will absolutely not send any info about how much interest you are paying or how much balance is due. From what I have gleaned, the only way to get out of this nightmare is to file bankruptcy. Then you can be charged by another agency years later because your account keeps being sold. I'm sending my congressman a letter to see if he can do something about this fraud.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I bought a bedroom set in September of 2016. I had it delivered today and when delivery guys arrived first thing they said was a complaint that I live on the second floor. The delivery person also said that they only have 15 minute window so all they are going to do is drop the furniture and leave. I didn't expect that so I called AAFES and the customer service woman rudely told me that this is what I am going to get because I have free shipping and I bought the merchandise not the service.

I asked her to transfer me to the supervisor and the supervisor told me that I can send my furniture back on the same truck and because they have free shipping this is the service I am going to get. I simply hung up the phone. This was my first and last time ever ordering from AAFES. And I will take this issue up the chain because AAFES customer service made me look guilty because they offered free shipping and I didn't know they were just going to drop the furniture and only had a 15 minute window.

Original review: March 31, 2016

The music played in the store was so loud that we were unable to communicate with others unless screaming. In addition, not everyone might like the music broadcasted. Furthermore, all exchanges have high prices for cheap merchandise.

AAFES Company Information