2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

1.2/5 (148 ratings)

About AAFES

AAFES Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAFES?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAFES?

Original review: March 21, 2021

I have order a few firearms, you might say were unique at the time, which brings me to the status/statuses of my orders. Over the days they go from being shipped to my local BX, then changed to backordered and cancel after a few days in backorder status. And what's worse it seems if you talk to someone on the phone about your high valued order, and it still isn't getting to you. You just got to wonder if the employee is moonlighting or what there with the stock for their preferred under the counter customer list. I don't call anymore because what they know might just be between them and out the door for sure.

Original review: March 6, 2021

Been having trouble with this company lately. From missing order that took over a month to resolve, and now a messed up online ordering system. Their automated recording blames the pandemic a year after it started. I can't split my shipment items and for some reason, this feature has been disabled and can't get a reason nor explanation why. When lady tried to enter it manually, my credit card wouldn't take. There is nothing wrong about my cc. I use it daily.

I wanted to love AAFES and I've used them extensively but the more I deal with them, they seem nothing like Amazon, Sam's Club or Wal-Mart. This online shopping for veterans is limited too. They don't allow purchases of DELATS items like briefs and socks, boot, duffel bags because they are considered uniform items. What's the real point shopping there? In the meantime, I have 70 dollars worth of shipping items in my shopping cart for 3 days and I still can't split my items in my order. Example, I ordered 2 items and I want one to go to another address. Features IDs disabled. Don't know why. They need to do better.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I pre ordered a PS5 back in September, I see the order is still processing 2 months later, I contact customer service and I’m told there’s a slight delay. No problem. I call again only to be told that that there was an issue with the payment method. Card was lost so I froze it and added a different card but I wasn’t told it would have to charge that specific card. I never received any sort of update or anything and would’ve appreciated if I was told this the first time I inquired about the order and would’ve never known if I didn’t keep contacting them.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I placed my order almost a month ago for $1,200 worth of ammo. Everything was in stock. Weeks went by and my order kept reading "waiting for fulfillment". I contacted customer service twice to be told my order would be shipped in four days. On the third time contacting customer service, I was told everything I ordered was on backorder (I made my order within 30 minutes of items becoming available just after midnight) due to other customers ordering the same items. Not only was I lied to about my items being shipped, now they don't have them and my wait is indefinite without being able to tell me if my order will ever be fulfilled.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Do not order from Aafes. They are a scam organization who hires low life employees. I ordered a GoPro Hero 7 using my Star card, it was shipped to me from the Hanscom AFB BX, when I received the package and opened it, what did I find? An empty go pro box! Clearly the employee who shipped it helped himself to the camera and then sent me the empty package. Now getting the run around by customer service...I should receive an email in 3-5 days, seriously?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Do not order anything from Aafes that has to be sent freight. I placed an order for two items June 28th, both had to be sent freight. Both could have been bought elsewhere with guaranteed shipping in 7-14 days. Both items were in stock when I ordered. One item arrived a full month and a day later. The second item I am still waiting for with no end in sight.

One item became untrackable through Innoval and XPO after I got an email it was out for delivery and took 11 days after that email to arrive. The order had to be looked up under my phone number but neither company had any orders attached to my phone number. Aafes wrote up a ticket and assured me I would get a phone call or an email within 24 hours. I waited 48+ hours each time before calling Aafes again for a status update. We did this dance several times.

The second item is supposedly coming via Fragilepak. Although I made sure it was in stock, and specifically chose a color in stock, it took over two weeks to get a shipping notice on July 16th. It is now August 9th and it still isn't here and I have absolutely no idea when if ever it will get here. Don't order anything from Aafes that has to be shipped freight.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I signed up for a Star Card approx. 6 months ago (this was mistake #1). Ever since then, I have had to call Military Exchange Credit Card services line on average of twice a month to rectify what truly is a very simple error on the account. The organization as a whole is absolutely the most incompetent people that I have ever had to work with. Every single time I have called, I was met with excuses on why the error was never fixed or finger pointing. And the worst answer of them all... "I don't know!!!" (And by that way, that "I don't know" response was from a manager). If you ever want to regret a decision, sign up for the Military Star Card! This review is only a small taste of the pain they put you through. Sadly, it will probably never correct itself because it's a Federally ran organization. Ridiculous!!!

Original review: March 28, 2020

I served for 21 years, retired and tried to order online. I was unable to set up an account and was advised (online) to check VetVerify. My SSN wasn't in the system, but should go to a PX/BX to learn why. On 2020 03 02, I went to Luke AFB BX and discovered I had been listed dead. I dealt with Mayra, who had the right combination of empathy & common sense and spoke to AAFES HQ who provided the bad news. When I was put on the phone with them, I confirmed AAFES should have a death certificate on file and that the latest update from DEERS was provided them was on 2019 07 25, which is screwy, because I just got an updated military ID that very day at the BLOCK HOUSE, had a child 2018 09 16, got married December 2017 to a lady who has four children from a previous marriage and registered them ALL in DEERS before that date.

I asked for a copy of that death certificate and the location where it was presented. This is also the second time I've dealt with this. I was also declared dead in 1998 at Quantico MC Base. I had to go to a DEERS location with my social security card, birth certificate, and present in person to rectify that time. To date, I have received no promised follow-up to those actions. I went back to Luke BX, again spoke with Mayra and AAFES HQ and no action taken. I've invoked Privacy Act & FOIA, and since those records are about me, I have a perfect right to them. At least, I need to know who is screwing with me.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I placed an online order for a Garmin Foretrex 601 Wrist Mounted GPS seven days ago and finally checked on the order status. It indicated that it was still in processing. After spending an hour on the phone, I found out that the Risk Department put a hold on the order until they could verify my veteran status. This seems odd because you can't log into the website without being confirmed as a veteran. They also, obviously, run a credit check on you (even if you're paying with a debit card) because I had to verify my identity, when speaking with the Risk Department representative, by telling her the year and make of an automobile that I own so that she could confirm that I was who I said I was. It would have been nice if they would have sent me an email stating the order was on hold and asking me to contact them but they waited for me to discover it myself. This is a very poor first experience and I'll think long and hard before I purchase anything else.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I had a Military Star Credit Card account from the years of 2010-2013 and I'll admit, I didnt have a great history with it. I endured financial hardship i.e. divorce, new child, unexpected eviction and such. I was medically discharged from the United States Army on November of 2013, upon receiving a disability settlement, I paid the Military Star Credit Card account off entirely and closed the account December 2013. When the account was closed AAFES performed a "hard" close on the account sealing my files, so no one can see into it.

In the year of 2014 I noticed that AAFES took my past delinquencies on my credit report and reported them on the year of 2014. I tried to dispute this with the credit bureaus and AAFES and got nowhere. How in the world can someone create late payments on a closed account? Currently, AAFES has reported 7 derogatory marks to the credit bureau and has moved them up every year since 2014. When I dispute it with AAFES and the credit bureaus again I keep getting the run around and getting told to wait 7 to 10 years until they fall off but the marks will never fall off when AAFES keeps updating the years on the derogatory marks.

I have called AAFES over 20 times about this.They claim they are reporting accurate information. How is that? Every time I call no one can see my file because of the hard close. I filed a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Claim only to be told "You need a lawyer" and after that claim AAFES took the paid off date and changed it to FEB OF 2020!!!! I also filed a claim with the attorney general office of my state and notified the media. It's ridiculous what these people are doing. I lost mega points on my credit score because of them. If I go to court I have credit reports from 2014-2020 and a statement with the paid off and closed date of December 2013 from AAFES. So if you ever had a Military Star Credit Card I urge you to check your credit report. I'm about to be the first to stand up for all Veterans who are suffering. Boots on ground starting NOW!!!!!

AAFES Company Information