2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

AAFES Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAFES?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAFES?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

When I joined the Army in 2006 and reported to my duty station I immediately went to Iraq. Upon returning from Iraq I went to the PX to make some large item purchases to set up an entertainment center. Instead of paying cash, I was told that getting a star card on the sport and charging the items would save me a considerable amount of money on top of the tax savings. So I applied and was approved on the spot. I bought the items with it, went home, signed into their payment service and paid it off. **I never received a physical star card while I was on Active Duty.

Every time I made a major purchase for my home, I would do it with the PX to save the money. And every time I made a major purchase I would repeat the same process as when I first returned home from Iraq but now, because I never received the star card, I would need to first go through customer service to have them find my star card account, verify my ID and give me the card number so that I could make purchases with it. The same process needed to be followed to make my payments: I had to go into the PX every month, go to Customer service, have them look up my account and verify my ID and then send me to a cashier to collect my monthly payment. It was very tedious and a complete waste of my time. I had called several times all throughout the 10 years I was on active duty and requested that they send me a physical copy of my star card but I never received one while still on Active Duty.

Now, in the middle of 2019, 3 years after separating from the service, out of the blue, a physical copy of my star card shows up at my apartment even though I never gave them my current address or expected to ever use the card again. The delivery of the card was almost exactly 10 years late. I digress though. Now that disabled veterans are allowed base access to use the MWR/PX/Class 6, I have had no issue whatsoever in getting on post to use my star card and have had zero issues dealing with AAFES on the phone, in person, via email, etc. They have been very helpful.

All purchases I have made so far have been with 'standard shipping'. I figure 6 months to a year's wait for standard shipping from a store owned by the US Government is probably exceeding their standards by a long shot. BUT, all of my purchases so far shipped in under 24 hours and arrived in under 1 week from the date of purchase. I give AAFES the 3 stars because of the 10 years of hassle they gave me by not sending me a physical card on active duty. Otherwise they have been pretty good about everything else.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I originally ordered a mattress and bed frame. I decided to cancel mattress. Called AAFES. Ask the to cancel mattress but they cancel bed frame. I notice this and re-ordered bed frame. Then they tried to deliver mattress. I declined. Checked my statement. I was charged for the mattress. Finally the bed frame arrived. They send wrong bed frame. I called aafes. Got mattress credited and re order right frame and other frame to be picked up. Called to check status of everything and ask a few question that I didn't understand. Was treated rudely by manager in escalation dept. Aafes service is terrible. Can't get anything right. Then you will be treated like you're the problem. Consider shopping elsewhere....

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Normally, I try to be polite and understanding, but AAFES Customer Service this year is way, way, way below par and nothing like the quality they have had for the last few decades. I ordered an HP OMEN laptop for Christmas. When the package arrived, the shipping box was not marked fragile and had obviously been knocked around a bit and dropped on a corner. When I opened the shipping package, the inner retail box was also obviously damaged where it had been dropped on a corner. Inside the computer was also damaged, with both the top and bottom parts obviously damaged and bent.

The first call to AAFES customer service, they were very short and rude and told me I had to drive to one of their exchange stores and turn it in there. I spent 2 and a half hours driving to and from the store, and waiting in line just to be told that the customer service agent on the phone was wrong, and they could not accept defective merchandise at the store. At least the folks at the counter was polite. After several more phone calls and emails with Sketchy Customer Service, I finally received an email with a "Call Tag" number. No shipping label or materials, just a number.

When I called to setup a time to pick it up, I was told the ground drivers don't schedule a time, they just schedule a day and I have to be there until they pick it up. Seven and a half hours after I started waiting at 0800, and still no sign of a driver and no email saying they would not be coming. Called the increasingly misnamed Customer Service line for the sixth time, they were flat out unhelpful and rude and said I would have to schedule another day for pickup. No explanation, just that it "is their policy".

I told them I'll schedule a day and leave the package on the doorstep, but after that it is their responsibility. Legally, they did not deliver anything I ordered (I ordered a working laptop), so I'm not obligated to take any significant action to get it to them, and I've already spent about 12 hours getting AAFES to take back the defective item. Needless to say, as this is an $1,050.00 item, I am not happy. Lesson learned AAFES - use Amazon, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, HP, Newegg or even WalMart instead.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I ordered a television 3 weeks ago. The exchange has charged me for the tv but has no idea where the television is. The delivery company says that the TV has not arrived for them to deliver, yet the exchange customer service rep says they can do nothing. I will never order from the exchange again. The savings in tax is not worth the headache.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I wish I had read reviews online before purchasing a TV from the Exchange online. I was told in the store that it was better to order online than to pay $100 to have the store deliver on one of the few days they offer delivery, so I took the advice and placed my order online on December 9th. Online showed the tv was in stock, so I was excited. I was happy to see the TV had shipped on December 12th, and foolishly expected it to arrive before Christmas. On December 26th I contacted Innovel Solutions, the company that is supposed to deliver the tv, and they said they hadn't received it, but would look into it and contact me.

Today I contacted the exchange online, and they don't know where it is either. The person I chatted with put in a request for information to the warehouse which will take 24 to 48 business hours. I contacted the local store, and they will not honor the price I paid online for the TVs they have in stock although, I could pay an additional $300 to pick one up today. The person I contacted at the store suggested I call and speak to someone, and that only made things worse. She said that I will have to wait until sometime next week for someone to find the TV that seems to have vanished, and then I will be contacted, and likely wait until sometime after the New Year for the tv. My advice is to avoid "shopmyexchangeonline" especially around the holidays. I hope this review will help keep someone from making the same mistake I did.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I was deemed 100% disabled and had to move to a less expensive state. I had to forgo payments in order to make that move. As a result they went after my social security. Instead of $50 a mo to them, they now take $200 mo. Now I’m unable to pay other bills because of their excessive garnishment! Evil company.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I don’t know the company did. Read all reviews to improve their services. All is 1 star, very bad service. I applied Military STAR Card to get 10 % discount on first day of purchase. I bought online from website mynavyexchange.com on 12 April, but on system they posted on 15 April they said that they couldn’t access to Mynavyexchange.com to check so they asked me to send the receipt to prove that I bought on 12 April. I did send the receipt through message. Mrs. Dorothy ** said she received them and they will process refund with 2 weeks.

After 2 months, I didn’t receive refund, I called to manager Mrs. **, Kathryn and messaged again, they said they send request to refund and I didn’t see any results. I messaged. Mrs. Dorothy ** replied to me that I should check with customer contact center. I called them, she said she didn’t see any credit, I explained for her everything again, unfortunately it seems that nothing new happened. I lost 10% discount on first day without my mistake. This is terrible service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I couldn't understand the man's name when he introduced himself on the phone, but he was beyond rude to me. I would understand his rudeness if I had insulted him or talked down to him, but I treated him like a human being. The rudeness wasn't only in the tone of his voice; he decided to say, "Just one second," as I was explaining my dilemma with online bill pay. He interrupted me, put me on hold, and transferred me to someone else named Gale. Gale was patient and able to answer my question concisely.

It's a shame that even when the call is being recorded, some of these customer service representatives behave immaturely. They don't treat veterans or Soldiers with the respect they deserve for serving their country. In retrospect, I should've steered away from this company. Avoid them at all cost and get a credit card through a company that respects veterans such as USAA or Navy Federal Credit Union. THE EXCHANGE has a garbage credit exchange program, and I can't wait to pay my card off; read the fine print before signing up for that credit card. The card has been SNIPPED, and I won't be stepping foot on any of their facilities again.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I placed an order online and continue to get delayed shipping emails. I tried to cancel the order and get told that I can only put in a request to cancel and it's not guaranteed and it can take 48-72 hours for someone to respond to the request. This is not okay. Please, don't list items in stock on the website if they're not and the orders are being sent off to a vendor who can simply delay shipping whenever they please. Is this really how AAFES believes service members, veterans, and their families should be treated? And the comments on Consumer Affairs about AAFES speaks volumes about this company. I am very disappointed and I can promise my family will never purchase anything else from here. We will stick with the Navy Exchange, a company that actually cares about their patrons.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Typical "don't give a **" government attitude, slow to process payments and when they are really slow, blame you for not sending the payment four weeks in advance and charge you interest they don't deserve. Customer service is nonexistent. Apparently they feel YOU OWE them your business and they don't have to do anything to earn it. That equals a company I don't need to do business with, no matter what business they are in or who they are. I don't need the grief and canceled my account.

AAFES Company Information