2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Waggin Train Treats Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Waggin Train Treats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Waggin Train Treats?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Waggin Train Treats?

Original review: March 9, 2021

We bought this product at Sam’s and began giving it as a treat to our 5 month old Golden Retriever. On the first day she loved them and had three of them since they were fairly small pieces. That evening she woke up with diarrhea which went on all evening, every 2 hours and continued on throughout the next day. She became very ill for a few days. We weren’t sure what caused it and watched her carefully, taking away all treats and per normal vet instructions, only gave her a bland diet for the next two days until she fully recovered.

When she as able to have her regular kibble again, we gave her one small Waggin Train Tender as a treat. And a couple of hours later, she began to have bad diarrhea again throughout the night. It was clearly the chicken tenders that was making her violently ill. And now reading reviews we can see that there is a pattern with this product of making dogs sick. It should be taken off the market. I feel for those who have lost their pets.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

ATTENTION: Purina Waggin' Train Chicken Jerky Tenders Adult Dog Treats - MADE IN CHINA.. ALMOST KILLED MY DOG... I HAVE VETERINARIAN PROOF. :( PROOF: My Dogs a 6 yr old Yorkie's liver count was 581. Way HIGH. :( The vet run all kinds of tests -Blood count...High. Then he had ultrasound that showed his enlarged liver. Luckily no Tumor (which is what they thought they may find). Vet was puzzled and could not understand why? I even had to measure his water intake for a week - We decided to look into what we were giving him as treats - WAGGIN TRAIN - Made in CHINA. After taking the Waggin Train treats away 2 weeks later we had his blood count done again it had gone down to a Healthy 168. We were SLOWLY KILLING our furry friend without knowing it. :( So SAD!!!

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I'll save you the reading. We fed these to our Boston Terrier for the past week. Today, we are putting her down due to digestive failure. She had a blockage removed from her stomach that consisted of a wad of these treats. And we'd only give her a third at a time. Shame on you Purina! You and your Chinese-sourced garbage can rot for all I care!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Attention: please take a good look at this site and read the Experiences: I bought this product at Walmart on 1-24-20 and only after giving my Bichon 4 treats he began to show signs of something was going wrong. He started acting dazed and confused and then started looking like his legs were very unstable and wobbly. Following this he began to have bloody diarrhea, several times and then just started getting weak and then started vomiting just yellow bile and a foamy liquid.

After this I put it together that I had not given him anything different except the chicken Jerky treat... This happened many years ago like in 2012 and I was made aware of a recall so I had not given it anymore.. Hence I saw it at Walmart again and assumed it was now a better product and safe again. Well was I wrong. My poor dog is not doing well now and I know it's this product. I'm returning it to Walmart for a refund. Please be cautious and if you dare try it, watch your loving pet for any symptoms as they may prove deadly for your Loyal Companions... Also though it's made by Purina. Look at the package. It's also made in China where they dont have strict regulation requirements... Be Safe, your pet depends on you.....

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

My 7 years old King Charles named Romeo just passed away on September 22, 2019. He was a very picky eater and didn’t like much snacks, but this one was his favorite. We use to purchase Waggin Train chicken jerky at our local Sam’s Club and after when they were closed we purchased them on Chewy.com. He snacked on them daily and suddenly he stop eating and become very sluggish. We thought that he had another ear infection. We took him to the emergency hospital and he was diagnosed with kidneys failure. He was treated and next day he had a heart failure and sadly we have to make the worst decision in our life’s to put him to sleep.

In 1.5 days he was gone. We were puzzled what cause his kidneys failure and since he didn’t eat other snacks it made so easy to pin point. After doing some searching we were devastated even more. We were giving him the poison all this time. I wish I did my researches earlier and he will be still here with us. Please if you read this post and giving this poison to your pup... stopped immediately and give your doggy a biggest hug.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I have given maybe 8 of these treats to my 12 year old Springer male (healthy) today. When putting the bag away, I noticed "Made in China." I am just sick. I fear I have endangered my dog's health, short term, long term, and mortally. Purina, one of the oldest and most trusted names in dog food and treats, has really deceived the American public with Chinese-made treats. China does not care about life and does not care about Americans. Obviously, Purina does not either. I am done with Purina now and in the future. You won't care about this review; I already know that.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I bought 2 bags of this product at Sam's Club about 9 or 10 days ago. I fed some to my Springer Spaniel. She began vomiting. I didn't make the connection, and gave her more the next morning and left for work. When I came home, I found more vomit. On Friday 26 October 2018 I took her to the vet. They immediately noticed problems with her. They kept her for a few days, and on the morning of 30 October, I was told that she passed away. My Gracie is dead. As I recall, the vet said that she liver issues.

This afternoon I gave 3 pieces to the neighbor's dog. In about 3 minutes he threw it all up. I became suspicious and contacted the vet. The vet tech looked this product up online and told me that pets were dying from eating this stuff, with reviews as recent as late-October 2018. I was furious. I took the open bag to the vet. They have a Purina rep that will contact for further info and action. -- Angry in Indianapolis, Indiana

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My dogs loved the product and after investigating a couple years ago, I was convinced the treats were safe, biggest mistake of my life. I always broke tiny pieces for my 4.5 lb. And 7 lb. Yorkie. Friday evening for some reason I cannot explain I gave them each a regular size piece. The larger dog threw this up within 1-2 hours. The small one did not although she was sick all evening. Running outside every few minutes she seemed to be ok. Then the bigger one threw up all night long. Horrible. The next day they both were sick enough to go to the emergency vet.

Received fluids. Etc. Long story short, my small Yorkie is in Auburn intensive care clinic with no promise of survival. They tested both dogs and said the larger one had liver damage and the smaller one had liver failure. The only thing out of the ordinary for them was the treat and the amount they got. I usually give my 60 lb. Malinois these treats. Never had a problem.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After eating these treats for a few days, my dog began to have diarrhea and was vomiting bile. She was acting like she was in pain, lethargic, confused and she wouldn’t lay on her belly. I took her to the vet and they did x-rays. These treats were not breaking down in her stomach, they were just sitting there in a large clump. They said she needed emergency surgery to remove the mass in her tummy. Sadly, I was unable to afford the $4500 surgery and had to make the heartbreaking decision to put her to sleep. The grief and guilt are overwhelming because I actually fed her the treats that ended up killing her. She was my best friend, she loved me unconditionally. I am now heartbroken and so angry that Sam's Club sells this product. Do not give these to your dogs!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My Rat Terrier love them. They're the only Chicken Jerky that actually smells like chicken. I guess because of all the problems others have had they have been taken off the shelf. I guess my pup will have to make do with Chinese Duck Jerky. He love that too.

Waggin Train Treats author review by ConsumerAffairs

Waggin Train treats are made by Purina, which was established in 1894 and has headquarters in St. Louis. Waggin Train treats are chicken jerky, suitable for dogs over five pounds.

• Limited ingredients: Waggin Train treats have only two or three ingredients, so consumers can easily determine the ingredients in their dog’s food.

• Availability: Consumers can find Waggin Train treats at major retail chains and online. Interested customers can search for local retailers with the search tool on the company’s website.

• Ingredient sources: The treats made outside of the United States use Chicken from a single supplier, and Purina owns the chicken supplier in China. The company’s website addresses its use of Chinese ingredients.

• Safety: Both the Waggin Train and Purina websites have detailed information about the safety of chicken jerky products. Concerned consumers can read about the ways the company works to ensure all product safety.

• Feeding guide: Customers can find guidance about how many Waggin Train treats are appropriate for their size of dog on the website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team