1.20/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Waggin Train Treats

Looking for a good dog food brand?

242 Waggin Train Treats Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I have given maybe 8 of these treats to my 12 year old Springer male (healthy) today. When putting the bag away, I noticed "Made in China." I am just sick. I fear I have endangered my dog's health, short term, long term, and mortally. Purina, one of the oldest and most trusted names in dog food and treats, has really deceived the American public with Chinese-made treats. China does not care about life and does not care about Americans. Obviously, Purina does not either. I am done with Purina now and in the future. You won't care about this review; I already know that.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I bought 2 bags of this product at Sam's Club about 9 or 10 days ago. I fed some to my Springer Spaniel. She began vomiting. I didn't make the connection, and gave her more the next morning and left for work. When I came home, I found more vomit. On Friday 26 October 2018 I took her to the vet. They immediately noticed problems with her. They kept her for a few days, and on the morning of 30 October, I was told that she passed away. My Gracie is dead. As I recall, the vet said that she liver issues.

This afternoon I gave 3 pieces to the neighbor's dog. In about 3 minutes he threw it all up. I became suspicious and contacted the vet. The vet tech looked this product up online and told me that pets were dying from eating this stuff, with reviews as recent as late-October 2018. I was furious. I took the open bag to the vet. They have a Purina rep that will contact for further info and action. -- Angry in Indianapolis, Indiana

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My dogs loved the product and after investigating a couple years ago, I was convinced the treats were safe, biggest mistake of my life. I always broke tiny pieces for my 4.5 lb. And 7 lb. Yorkie. Friday evening for some reason I cannot explain I gave them each a regular size piece. The larger dog threw this up within 1-2 hours. The small one did not although she was sick all evening. Running outside every few minutes she seemed to be ok. Then the bigger one threw up all night long. Horrible. The next day they both were sick enough to go to the emergency vet.

Received fluids. Etc. Long story short, my small Yorkie is in Auburn intensive care clinic with no promise of survival. They tested both dogs and said the larger one had liver damage and the smaller one had liver failure. The only thing out of the ordinary for them was the treat and the amount they got. I usually give my 60 lb. Malinois these treats. Never had a problem.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After eating these treats for a few days, my dog began to have diarrhea and was vomiting bile. She was acting like she was in pain, lethargic, confused and she wouldn’t lay on her belly. I took her to the vet and they did x-rays. These treats were not breaking down in her stomach, they were just sitting there in a large clump. They said she needed emergency surgery to remove the mass in her tummy. Sadly, I was unable to afford the $4500 surgery and had to make the heartbreaking decision to put her to sleep. The grief and guilt are overwhelming because I actually fed her the treats that ended up killing her. She was my best friend, she loved me unconditionally. I am now heartbroken and so angry that Sam's Club sells this product. Do not give these to your dogs!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My Rat Terrier love them. They're the only Chicken Jerky that actually smells like chicken. I guess because of all the problems others have had they have been taken off the shelf. I guess my pup will have to make do with Chinese Duck Jerky. He love that too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Waggin Train Treats?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I purchased this product for my beloved 12 yr old Jack Russell Terrier, Boo on 8-28-2018 at our local Walmart because I had a .75€ coupon off and the package advertising boasted “only two ingredients” and “twice baked;” which indicated to me it’s a natural product that’s safe for my pet. WRONG!!! Boo began showing symptoms immediately of discomfort; but I didn’t pick up on it from coming from feeding simple ‘natural’ treats...He was licking and biting excessively as though in pain. So I purchased some plain yogurt and gave him a teaspoon in hopes this would calm his tummy - it didn’t. Boo’s distress only continued to grow; a dog that never refused a meal; well, now, no way was he touching ANY FOOD! I knew something seriously wrong. Then the vomiting??? started, and when he had nothing left to vomit; he vomited bile and blood.

But it didn’t stop...bloody diarrhea over and over again even when he had nothing left to diarrhea out... just that feeling of having to go caused him to stress and strain over and over again. It was heartbreaking. By this time it was late Saturday evening (9/1/2018); my only option for veterinary therapy was emergency services at MEDVET-Dayton an hour drive from my home. Boo was diagnosed with Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. He was hospitalized from 9/1-9/3 (I had to take him home on the third because my credit card??? had reached its limit). Boo received this treatment while hospitalized: Aggressive IV fluids. IV antibiotics. Medications to help control nausea and help settle his stomach pain.

Upon discharge, Boo was sent home with two prescriptions and recommendation to buy one OTC medication. Boo’s to eat a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice offered in mini-meals of 5-6 per day. No treats. If any signs of previous symptoms recur or additional symptoms occur either bring to family vet or return to MEDVET for further evaluation and care. My total cost for feeding Boo these horrific treats (which he only had approximately a total of four) is $1333.78. I believe it’s time to bring a class action suit against Purina and Waggin Train Dog Treats.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Purchase Waggin Trains yesterday 7-10-18 from Sam's Club. My dog start getting sick around 6 pm today, she is vomiting and very quiet, not her at all. After seeing her behavior I Google and find out the several complaints from other people. How sad after see reviews from 2014 and this item still in the market. Please don't buy this product ever. Sam's please remove item right away. Animal cruelty very cruelty. My dog was a very healthy and is 8 year old. Her record is clean. She has been in the Animal Hospital now for 8 days. Please help us stop animal cruelty... ASAP. I'm a Sam's member for years. My receipt and record is up to date. I'm so mad and sad. :(. I’m contacting them today and plan on filing suit if it isn’t taken off the shelves!

Original review: May 3, 2018

We bought these treats because the package says there are only 2 ingredients in them. We gave ONE to my 62-lb English Pointer and he has had diarrhea for going on 2 days. I read other reviews online that said pets went into kidney and liver failure after having these death-snacks. I took my dog to the vet this morning, and we are monitoring carefully. But read the back of the package: They are made in China! So, there are no guidelines on what actually goes into them. They were recalled in 2013 for the same reason, and Purina revamped them somehow to get them back on the market. Shame on you, Purina, for endangering our pets. DO NOT BUY ANY PURINA PRODUCTS. PERIOD.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchase Waggin Trains yesterday 2-11-18 from Sam's Club. My dog start getting sick around 6 pm today, she is vomiting and very quiet, not her at all. After see her behavior I Google and find out the several complaints from other people. How sad after see reviews from 2014 and this item still in the market. Please don't buy this product ever. Sam's please remove item right away. Animal cruelty very cruelty. My dog is very healthy and is over a year old. Her record is clean. Please help us stop animal cruelty... ASAP. I'm a Sam's member for years. My receipt and record is up to date. I'm so mad and sad. :(

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Have been feeding my dogs these for years with no trouble. Now they are very sick, vomiting and diarrhea. Very disgusted with Purina for allowing this to be sold!!! Wished I'd looked at this site sooner.

Waggin Train Treats expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Waggin Train treats are made by Purina, which was established in 1894 and has headquarters in St. Louis. Waggin Train treats are chicken jerky, suitable for dogs over five pounds.

• Limited ingredients: Waggin Train treats have only two or three ingredients, so consumers can easily determine the ingredients in their dog’s food.

• Availability: Consumers can find Waggin Train treats at major retail chains and online. Interested customers can search for local retailers with the search tool on the company’s website.

• Ingredient sources: The treats made outside of the United States use Chicken from a single supplier, and Purina owns the chicken supplier in China. The company’s website addresses its use of Chinese ingredients.

• Safety: Both the Waggin Train and Purina websites have detailed information about the safety of chicken jerky products. Concerned consumers can read about the ways the company works to ensure all product safety.

• Feeding guide: Customers can find guidance about how many Waggin Train treats are appropriate for their size of dog on the website.

• Best for: Waggin Train treats are best for those looking for treats with limited ingredients and without artificial colors or flavors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs