Spot Pet Insurance

Spot Pet Insurance©

4.4/5 (71 ratings)
Spot Pet Insurance©

About Spot Pet Insurance©

Spot Pet Insurance focuses on providing pet owners with the tools needed to keep your pet healthy. The company covers a wide range of needs, including accident care, medications, diagnostics and alternative therapies. Spot also offers preventative plans that include dental cleanings and flea prevention for an additional cost.

Pros

• No age or claim limits
  • Covers alternative therapies
  • Flexible coverage plans

Cons

• Higher premiums for older pets
  • No preexisting condition coverage

Bottom Line

Spot Pet Insurance offers flexible coverage plans and options for different levels of coverage. Like most pet insurance provides, Spot doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. However, accident-only coverage is available.

Spot Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

When my cat needed major dental surgery, I was so glad to have SPOT to cover me. The claims submitting process was easy, and I got my reimbursement in a timely manner. I've yet to need to use customer service, since everything with my policy has gone as expected!

Hi Sam,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your cat the help that he needed! Wishing you happy wags!

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The experience was okay. The reviews are very slow when it comes to reimbursements of claims. The staff is very nice and well informed and when I finally go through they were helpful. I like Spot because they do insure older pets.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Tina! We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’re happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I have a puppy and was looking for an insurance company that suited his needs in these early years. Most of the items he's had are covered which is great! The claims process is super easy too. The few times I've had to call customer service, I found them easy to get through and attentive to our needs.

Hi Emmy,
Thank you for sharing your experience! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

They make me feel safe to have a puppy again after my old dog's passing from an accident that we couldn't cover. I'd recommend Spot to any pup owner who wants to make sure they are covered in the event of a big accident.

Hi Kyra,
We are happy to hear you are covered with SPOT in case you have a need in the future.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

We signed up for the highest coverage for our cats since they deserve nothing less. Unfortunately one of our cats was rushed to the emergency room and had to be put down. Spot Pet Insurance did cover what they said. All in all it was a easy friendly process.

Hi Marcus,

We are deeply sorry to hear such sad news. We are so sorry to hear that your pet passed away. When a pet crosses over the Rainbow Bridge, we experience sadness, grief, and sorrow. “Pets leave pawprints on our hearts”, and we want to let you know that you and your family are in our heart, too.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I'm very happy with Spot Pet Insurance. I have sent quite a few claims in and my vast insurance experience gives me a real understanding in EOBs. I have resubmitted a couple for review and they were paid when I had my Vet get involved. I thoroughly recommend Spot Pet Insurance as I know any company Cesar Milan endorses gets my vote of confidence.

Hi Helene,
We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service, so we're very happy to hear this has been your experience.

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

This insurance co is ok but expensive so I switched to another pet insurance co. Less money the same service. Overall I was happy with the reimbursement with Spot Insurance but to expensive $72.00 a month vs $43.00 for the same service with another pet insurance company.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Chan – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I love SPOT! All three of my pets have been insured by SPOT for over a year and they have been fast in processing my claims. They have a variety of coverages to choose from that fits your budget along with what your pets need. I do wish SPOT had an option to switch from paying yearly to monthly or vice versa without having to cancel the entire policy and reapplying again.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Michelle-Lei! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Love my insurance. My purebred has so many issues and I get like 90% back on all my claims. It’s so worth it to have coverage. The customer service is always very fast and friendly too. Thanks Spot for taking care of both myself and my puppy Meeko!!

Hi Bailey,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got Meeko the help that he needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I adopted a dog from a shelter. I did not know at that time she was heartworm +. I had purchased ins. & upon submitting the 1st claim, it was held up for records they said they needed. Both the vet and I had sent them repeatedly. They were looking for two years when I just had two visits.. Same thing happened with the second claim submission. Well checks with shots I understood to be covered, but apparently you can't get a rabies and another preventive vaccine at the same time, which I didn't get, nor was it explained well. Maybe it's just because I don't understand all the jargon, but I feel like it should be easier than it is. On the plus side, customer service has always been a delight to deal with.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Melanie! Spot plans cover exam fees, diagnostics, treatments, medications, and alternative therapies for accidents and illnesses, including cancer and hereditary problems. We'd be happy to review all the coverage options for your unique pet if you like to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I had reservations signing up for another pet insurance after I had been with 24Pet for 13 years. However, I never had this kind of service and claim updates - it's a breath of fresh air to have someone actually work for you. Highly recommended.

Hi Ken,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spot Pet Insurance is so easy to work with and they pay claims very quickly! Filing my claims can be done online on their website, they respond quickly to advise me of my claim status and reimbursements are sent directly to my bank account. I couldn’t be happier with Spot Pet insurance!

Hi Lori,
Thank you for the positive feedback! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I don't think I had my policy for a month when my oldest dog was bitten by a copperhead. Normally I wouldn't be concerned but it soon became apparent that this wasn't a normal bite. My usual vet at that time didn't have any antivenom in stock and they were too busy to see her so I had to go to an emergency clinic. Needless to say Spot took care of everything without question. Everyone is fine today.

Hi Karen,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your dog the help that they needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I signed up for Spot Pet Insurance earlier this year. My dog, Penny, a 10 year old Border Collie, and the light of my life, was healthy but getting older. On July 4th, I spotted blood in her urine. Thinking it might be a UTI, I took her to the vet for routine tests and medication. I was not prepared for her diagnosis... TCC! We were referred to an oncologist for treatment. Thank God for Spot! We were able to start her on meds right away. Unfortunately, cancer is very expensive and we went through our benefits in a couple of months. But Spot paid our bills promptly and at a time like this, it was much appreciated.

Hi Julianne,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your Border Collie the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I attempted to download a very small invoice from my vet and was unable to due to the file size of the PDF. This has made it more difficult for me to submit three claims for my cat, Frankie. He is suspected to have lymphoma so it is important that I be able to file my claims without jumping through hoops. I was able to download my receipts for visits last year, I don’t understand limiting the size of files.

Hi Donna,

You can submit claims by logging into the Member Center or simply by opening our SPOT Pet Insurance app, which allows you to access all the Member Center features except for Add A Pet. And by the way – uploading a pic of your invoice for the claim form is totally fine. If you want to provide additional feedback or get more details about your claim, please do reach out: 1-800-905-1595

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spot Pet Insurance. I have my two Chihuahuas insured with Spot. They are wonderful. They deliver on what they promise and they reimburse you very quickly. Never a problem. I highly recommend spot insurance. They’re awesome. If you call customer service they are also excellent. Always polite and always very professional.

Hi Nelson,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The customer service team is super. Being that I have an insurance/customer service background, I understand EOBs. Thus I'm able to discuss them when I have questions. I've contacted them a few times and they are able to explain more in depth. They explained that when that years run the date your baby's coverage starts,

Hi Helene,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I've been happy with Spot Insurance in the 8 months since enrolling my dog. The reimbursements to date have been minimal but those are only for immunizations etc. I'm glad to report we haven't had any accidents or serious illness.

Hi Brandyn,

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Many times you expect a fight when contacting an Insurance company with a claim. This was not the case with Spot. Their people were very friendly from the first call to the last. They gave me no grief and paid my claim.

Hi Lonny,

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Spot has been nothing but amazing with reimbursements for my 7 year old boxer/lab. I have not had any issues with claim reimbursements and there have been a number of them as she was diagnosed with plasma cell tumors and kidney disease. Truly deserving of 5 stars as they have been so smooth to work with in regards to submitting claims and claim approval. My Daisy is getting to live her best life because of this insurance!

Hi Cheryl,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your boxer/lab the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

We didn't anticipate thousands of dollars in medical costs within the first year when we rescued a 4 lb 13 week old Chihuahua mix puppy. She is the whole world to us but has had several illnesses and accidents, plus needed dental surgery for a retained deciduous tooth. Spot was great at covering these costs and reimbursing quickly. They even cover the holistic side of things like acupuncture, chiropractic, and cold laser therapy, which is AMAZING. My only complaint is that my monthly rate went from $50/mo to $70/mo in one year, and my dog isn't even two yet. If this continues, I don't know how long I'll be able to afford insurance. For now, we are grateful for the coverage and care by Spot.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Lindsay – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I signed on with Spot a couple years ago. They are a great company with good communication. It's so easy to email my invoices to them for claims. They respond in a timely manner. They break down everything showing what's covered and what isn't. Very easy to understand. Highly recommend.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Marilyn! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I had an excellent experience with my pet’s insurance. I sent in my documentation and they quickly responded and mailed me my savings in return. Easy process too to follow and easy submission method as well. Happy I selected Spot as my insurance for my pet.

Hi Mary,

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

First time having insurance for one of my pets. Great customer service throughout the entire process. Every question was answered efficiently and with a caring ear. When your pet is injured or experiencing something stressful Spot gives peace of mind. Easy and quick when filing a claim. Uploading vet records couldn't be easier. The claim was paid in 3 weeks! I will never own a pet without having spot pet insurance.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Jessica! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I discovered this company surfing the internet, read about it and like what I read and signed up. So far, so goood. No complaints. Also recommended it to my son. Very good Service and satisfied. Prompt courteous service. Would recommend again.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Joan! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Shortly after switching carriers I had two significant dental claims. They were handled quickly and very efficiently. After submitting the required documentation, they were processed expeditiously. Luckily, I have not had to use my German Shepherd’s policy since. I highly recommend Spot Pet Insurance.

Hi Patty,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your German Shepherd the help that he needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I've made a few claims in the last few years since having Spot Pet Insurance and they have all been covered in the way that I was expecting under the basic plan. When our dog had a sudden sickness and needed fluids and all the test run, Spot covered 80% of his entire bill and we couldn't have been happier. We will be customers for a long time to come.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Brittany! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Had pet insurance for little over a year. I have to contest almost every charge, customer service lines refuse to speak with you about any appeals, they just tell you to email a letter from your vet to this corporate email that takes weeks to hear from anyone. Important to note that I work at a vet! Everything could be solved with a quick phone call to answer any questions they have about my claims! I would rate them higher if this wasn't such an issue!

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Morgan. Know that we are never happy to deny a claim, and the decision is made from a thorough review of records from your vet. We strive to be as transparent as possible with what is covered in each plan, as well as what is excluded. Please call us at 1-800-905-1595 if you would like us to give a full explanation of your specific claims decision.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I have an older dog that means the world and she sustained an injury to her right ACL and required surgery. Spot requested documentation and I provided everything that they asked for in a timely manner but Spot took forever to approve my claim and get it paid out. They started making up excuses by saying that needed additional records from previous Veterinarians when there weren't any previous records to obtain. Stay away from Spot Pet Insurance... Far, far away. Horrible customer service.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Teresa! We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

During a regular visit to the Veterinarian we suspected hip dysplasia. X-rays proved the suspicion correct. Spot covered the holistic procedures required for pain relief without argument and reimbursed my cash outlay quickly. I highly recommend Spot Pet Insurance and thank them.

Hi Karen,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your dog the help that he needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Spot Pet Insurance© Company Information