2.17/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

56 Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

I have 3 cats that have always used Purina Indoor. To my amazement when I bought a new bag and put into their dishes, all 3 cats sniffed it and walked away. This is so unusual for my cats as feeding time is a big deal to them. I stupidly threw it away. I knew something was wrong with it. Even the smell was off. Beware to check your cat or dog food bags upon opening them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan so that is what we buy. It is 40% protein and when I look at other brands, they are always less. Our cats have never complained about it so they must enjoy it. I buy it from Amazon and it gets delivered to my door for less than the price at PetSmart. I find that amazing.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

When I first got Pepper back in October 2014, the adoption clinic strictly instructed me that she should only eat Purina Pro Plan Cat Food and nothing else. She seems to like it and she will meow at me whenever she can see the bottom of her bowl with the food pushed to the edges. I don't know if it's her acting like a child pushing her "peas" to the side or she's actually enjoying it and she's eating straight down. However, after recent events (involving her throwing up a clear mucus-y substance and avoiding the litter box entirely) and six recalls (two of which I had to return the bagged food) I'm thinking of switching to Nature's Variety as she heartily enjoyed the sample that I was given.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Upon purchasing this cat food -- three separate times over a period of a year -- both of my otherwise healthy cats vomited within 15 minutes of eating their meal. My older cat will go to her dish, smell/see this food, and continue meowing for food as if there's nothing there. She will go hungry before she eats it, and finally when she does give in, she pukes. Same with my 5 year old cat. This company is criminal and they know it. I hope people smarten up and boycott them right out of business.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I can't actually describe if I enjoyed it, however my cat had absolutely no problems with it. Apparently it's nutritious & supposed to be one of Purina's best cat foods.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

Open up the bag of Purina Pro and it was crawling with maggots. Instantly returned it and bought something else. Purina customer service response was poor and because of that I refuse to serve my cat Purina dry food now.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I use a cat food with no artificial colors or preservatives. There is no need to fancy color cat food. They don't care what color it is and it is not healthy for your animal. We love the Purina Naturals cat food for our 2 9 year old cats.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I rescued a 10-year old cat a few years ago and began feeding her Purina Pro Plan. She seems to enjoy it and the food is affordable and my vet is impressed with her health.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

This was a great compromise between any ingredients list I could live with and a food the kitty would not turn her nose up at. I wish I had found Pro Plan sooner in her life and not wasted all that time with trendy food she wouldn't eat (and which I am no longer convinced were as good for her as the trendsetters would have me believe).

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

I am owner of 1 cat. Other owner is acquaintance that lives in a different state. Gave cat a rounded tablespoon of the food from new can about 5:30 pm on Friday. About 12:15 am she suddenly vomited without any warning or noise as she usually does. When we woke up at 6:30 we found little bits of sticky stool throughout the house, in all 6 rooms, some with a wet spots around it on carpet. Same little bits of sticky stool were seen in litter box, with a puddle of mucus, almost clear stool that was beginning to dry around edges (so it probably had been there for 3-4 hours). We went to cat to find her with very slow shallow breathing, no movement of her body at all and only a bit of movement of her head. We pet her and sat with her for about 30 minutes then took another hour to clean house while she remained with almost no movement on the chair.

After another hour or so we coaxed her down to try to get her to her water dish when we found dry, mucusy fecal matter over her entire back end, on her haunches and down to her feet. She had no strength to struggle as we cleaned her. We noticed her eyes were fully dilated and would not close with light - just blinking and closing eyes because the light was too strong for her. She was listless and slept on one chair for next 10 hours or so. At 5:30 we fed her about a teaspoon of jarred baby food, chicken with broth. She ate that fine, still no water. About 9 p.m. we got her to take a bit of water.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

We have a Bengal Breed female. Sometimes she is a bit finicky. And then we switch to Fancy Feast filet mignon with seafood and shrimp. I do not know why it's called seafood and shrimp, since shrimp mostly comes from the sea. The freshwater shrimp are prawns. Our cat normally loves the Purina Pro Plan though.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

On April 30, 2015 my sweet gentle giant "Shylo" was admitted into the hospital with a severe urinary tract infection. He had to have a catheter placed, and had several crystals in his urine. The first thing his doctor asked me, was "What food are you feeding Shylo?" I told her "I only buy and feed my cats Purina cat chow blue bag!" She said, "no Trish, Purina blue bag is as bad if not worse than Walmart special kitty!" I felt so guilty.

I called Purina, sent them all Shylo's paperwork. Purina reimbursed me the vet bill by check (Admission of guilt). Then relapsed. And on July 11, 2015 my beautiful sweet boy died under my bed! Purina told me "We will pay for his cremation" when I sign their release form. I refuse to sign any release form. Purina wants me to keep my mouth shut! I cannot keep my mouth shut. Innocent cats are dying because of their food! I do not want any more cats to die from Purina's poisonous food! I do not want one more innocent cat to suffer like my boy did! This Thursday Sept. 3, 2015 I am picking up Shylo's urn! Purina must be stopped!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

Within the last year due to health problems with 2 of my cats I have switched to Purina Pro Plan Focus diets. My 1 year old Maine Coon Cat was diagnosed with a complete urinary blockage and after hospitalization and treatment was sent home with an expensive Prescription Diet. After 6 months on this diet he was doing well but the cost was prohibitive and after MUCH research and reading hundreds of reviews I came across the Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Diet for cats that you didn't need a prescription for and was very reasonably priced. It is safe for all of my cats to eat this diet and I am thrilled to say that after 11 months on this diet he is healthier than ever and has not had one problem.

I have a Ragdoll Cat that had a "sensitive" stomach with diarrhea that we could not get under control, even after 3 vet visits and numerous antibiotics. I put her on the Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach (Lamb and Rice) and the problem was resolved overnight. An added benefit is that she has the most beautiful, lush coat that you can imagine! We recently adopted another Ragdoll kitten and started her immediately on the Pro Plan Kitten formula and she is doing outstanding and also has a magnificent and beautiful full coat.

After using numerous "Ultra Premium" foods that are MUCH more expensive than the Pro Plan I have to say that we are thrilled with the results of these diets on all of our pets and their health. I question all of the negative reviews that I have seen on here as people with ulterior motives, although I NEVER write reviews I felt I had to considering the excellent results we have had with the Purina Pro Plan Focus diets, and yes, we have provided receipts to prove that we actually DO use this food. If your pet has a condition that one of the Pro Plan diets could help with I would research the food and the Purina Pro Plan website and definitely consider trying it. We are ecstatic that we did (and so are our pets)!

Original review: July 31, 2015

I regularly feed my cats a small amount daily of Purina Pro Plan Savor Chicken and Rice dry food and they are fine. This week my cats became sick, but I am not sure it was from the Pro Plan as they eat many Fancy feast canned cat food varieties. I found this site and saw the various posts that are current and about Pro Plan. My cats have vomited and refused to eat for a day. My elderly 16 year old cat is sicker and not recovering.

After this situation, I bought new bags of Pro Plan with a different lot number printed on it. The cats loved it, but the next evening, another cat who was well vomited. (Originally only 3 became sickened). It led me to question whether the Pro Plan dry food was at fault. I don't know. The other cats are well now except for my elderly cat who is taking medicine for this after a vet visit yesterday. Fortunately, all five cats who eat Pro Plan dry only eat 1/8 or 1/4 of a cup a day, so they recovered in a day (if this even was the fault of Pro Plan dry food).

Incidentally, the cat who is eating another food has not become sick, nor has another cat who does eat Pro Plan, so it may not be this food that is at fault. I think Pro Plan is manufactured in China and I know One Beyond is manufactured in Thailand. I would like to say that food manufactured in the U.S. has stricter quality control; however, I have read the FDA pet food alerts from 2007 and some newer brands manufactured in the U.S. have had recent recalls. Royal Canin, which is very expensive, has never had a recall, and I buy one of their dry foods as well. I believe that the dry foods should be stored in a dry, cool place (which my kitchen, where they are stored, is not).

I understand from reading blogs about the 2007 pet food contamination that killed many cats and dogs, that Purina will pull their products off the shelf when they could be or are contaminated, but they do not issue recalls (which saves the company face, so it doesn't lose consumer confidence). However, I have seen recalls of Purina One Beyond on the FDA site in the past. I have not had any dire consequences yet with my cats' sickness, thankfully, and I have not yet called Purina regarding this issue as I am not certain of the cause of their sickness yet.

Original review: March 11, 2015

I have been feeding both wet and dry Purina Cat food for years. Within the past few months my adult boy cat refused to eat the wet food, Pro Plan. He is a big boy, healthy, and eats the dry food, Purina One. I chalked up his refusing to eat the wet food as being finicky. Then I got a feral cat a month ago whom I had spayed and had to keep inside for three weeks during the cold weather. I started feeding her both the wet and dry food. She seemed fine initially for the first five days, then she started having diarrhea and vomiting yellow bile. I thought it was due to the antibiotics I had her on for a respiratory infection. Well, I stopped the antibiotics one week ago. She no longer has a respiratory infection. She has been tested for Fluke and FIV, both are negative. She continues to vomit and have diarrhea.

Now after reading the other reports I am concerned it is the cat food. The only difference between what my boy eats and her is the canned food. She gobbles it down, but my boy won't touch it. He is fine. She is sick. I am taking the wet food back tomorrow and going to carefully monitor them eating the dry food. Thinking back, I am wondering if I poisoned my 9 year old female cat whom I had to put down three years ago with a tumor that was unexplained. She ate the same food, both wet and dry.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

I have fed my cats Pro Plan since they were kittens. They loved it and looked healthy and had soft shiny coats. One cat has digestion issues so we would use the lamb and rice formula or chicken. I would occasionally get another brand of cat food if it was on sale and for 12+ years have had no problems with them transitioning back and forth. If I did it was with the one cat. Last week I had bought pro plan lamb and rice because the large bags were on sale. All three cats have been throwing up and have severe diarrhea. They also were not very eager to eat the food. The day I changed back to a different brand it instantly cleared up. Purina has changed their formula on pro plan somehow and sad to say we will not be buying Purina anymore.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

My cat had been on Purina Pro Plan and then switched to Friskies because she stopped eating the Pro Plan (dry) cat food. So we just decided to offer her something different. This happened in December. She still wouldn't eat and then we took her to the vet who treated her for dehydration and gave antibiotics for infection. I thought she was recovering, but, suddenly she collapsed and could no longer hold herself up. She died yesterday of organ failure. I came to this thread trying to find some closure, trying to figure out what happened. She was fine until December. I am wondering if there was a bad batch in November/December. I miss my kitty.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I'm surprised at the negative comments. We have 3 cats and had a lot of problems with other pet foods. We put them on Purina Pro Plan cat food (dry) and they all seem healthy. They also really like the food a lot - it's the only cat food all three of them could agree on. They literally beg for it at night. The problem with it is the ingredients. I was trying to get them to eat Blue Buffalo to switch them to a healthy good, but well, check out the Blue Buffalo reviews here and you'll see the problem. So we defaulted to this brand.

The ingredients are terrible - gluten meal (which cats do NOT eat in the wild) as the 2nd ingredient, and a lot of meat "meal" and "byproduct". This is junk food, pure and simple. God only knows what's really in it. That said, the cats seem healthy and happy. So I'm not unhappy but I'm still waiting for some company to make a "healthy" cat food that cats will actually eat, and which doesn't come with its own major health risks. Purina Pro Plan is not perfect, but at least cats like it and it doesn't make them sick.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

My kitten (10 months old) has been on Purina pro plan kitten food since I got her last April. After starting a new bag last week she threw up her entire meal 15 minutes after eating till it was bail. This bag has an expiration date of April 2016. My kitten has NEVER thrown up, even a hair ball! The next morning she tried the food again, same thing. After reading some of the reviews online I was terrified my kitten was going to die! I ended up switching her immediately to a holistic brand and she has been doing fine since. She will not be eating Purina brand anything ever again. Also as I was cleaning out her litter box I noticed she had bloody stool from the food. I am absolutely heartbroken that I gave her this poison! My mom the next day opened up a new bag of Purina food for her cat and the cat threw it all up as well! Terrible! Something is going on with this food for sure!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

I have fed my cat Pro Plan wet food for years along with OM Purina dry food. Both are his favorites. In mid December, I purchased several cans of Pro Plan wet food. He started to get diarrhea when I fed him the wet food. When I withdrew the wet food, his diarrhea went away. As soon as I reintroduce the wet food, his diarrhea returns. I can only assume the Pro Plan wet food is the culprit. I am going to return all of these cans to PetSmart as I am assuming it is a contaminated batch. I am wondering if anyone else has had experienced these adverse effects.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

This company seems to be going down hill since the Menu Foods Incident - I cannot get a good food from them and I have tried several times with the result being sick pets! This time the doctor recommended their (wet and dry) urinary support formula pro plan focus and Friskies special diet as a less expensive alternative to prescription food. I slowly transitioned them over as told and still they had violent vomiting and bloody diarrhea until I transitioned them off of it! 858 complaints and growing is ridiculous! You would expect them to at least be more careful with special needs foods!! I saw user reviews before buying, but not this website! I guess I have to run consumer affairs searches to keep my pets safe? The Focus was bought at Petco and the Friskies at PetSmart on Black Friday. Sorry no receipt for the .39 can black friday Friskies Special Diet, but it was lamb and rice, chicken and gravy and turkey and gravy.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

I have had my Sphinx cats, Nike and Tipper, on Pro Plan dry and wet cat food for roughly 7 years. About 3 months ago, I took them off the dry food as one of my cats was throwing up the dry food and the other had very soft stools. I continued with just the wet cat food and it seemed to resolve both issues, but something with the wet cat food must have changed. One of my cats would throw that up starting about 3 weeks ago time. Then on 8/18, my precious Tipper ate a can of the wet Pro Plan food and went into a severe asthmatic allergic reaction and died. Get your pets off this brand of cat food if you value their well-being.

Original review: March 14, 2012

I have been using Purina Pro plan cat and dog food for nine years now. Just a few days ago, I opened my usual case of Proplan Turkey and Rice cat food. Within a few hours, my cats are puking and having diarrhea. My one cat is actually in the hospital now for a possible pancreas infection. I really feel that I have had two healthy cats for nine years now and all of a sudden I open a new batch of food and they are both sick? Something is not right here. I hope and pray that my Tobie will be okay. I have trusted this brand of food for all the years I have had my cats. I would hope that Purina will have this batch tested as soon as possible in case a recall is needed. The batch number is 20091160l5dz60656, exp date of January 2014 purchased from PetSmart in Paramus, NJ.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2010

Since the birth of our cats, they have been on the Purina Pro Plan canned foods. We never had a problem and we don’t mind paying a little more for a good quality with anything. The last couple of weeks, the cat and kitten are barely eating their food anymore and they normally eat it so fast like the world is coming to an end. The big cat (1 1/2 yrs old) started vomiting clear fluids. They have loss of appetite, horrendous breath and just yesterday, my adult cat threw up so bad he began choking to death due to his airways being clogged up from the vomit and mucus.

The vet cannot find any restrictions in his stomach, just a lot of gas. $400 vet visit and it's all due to Purina. We are going to immediately switch and never use this brand again. It is disgusting that companies like Purina change ingredients for cost cutting and affect the health of their customers. It caused severe distress to the cat's owners. The big cat's eyes sunk into his head and began to collapse due to unable to breath from the vomit caused by the Purina Pro Plan foods. I think that's enough to make anyone switch. I will pay $5 a can of food if I have to, in order to have top quality and a company that cares about their customers rather than making a few bucks profit.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2009

I have six inside cats. I've fed them each one 3 oz. can a day of Purina Pro Plan canned cat food, mostly the chicken and rice, turkey and rice and salmon and rice, all in gravy, for several years now. But a few weeks ago, all six of my cats all got really bad diarrhea for weeks, and some of them were throwing up too. I had to put throw rugs down all over my house because I was cleaning up many times a day because they could not make it to the litter box and they were throwing up a lot too. Also, there was blood in their stools. So, I switched to another canned food. I did nothing else. I did not switch their hard cat food which is another brand and organic and finally after weeks of my cats being sick, one by one, they all had hard stools again and stopped throwing up, so I know it was the Purina Pro Plan canned cat food.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2009

I bought some cans of Purina Pro Plan Salmon and Rice. My cat threw up right after eating about an eighth of the can. She also throws up the Kit and Kaboodle a lot. I'm going to search for something else more natural.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Company Information