3.5/5 (60 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

Original review: July 23, 2020

I have raised my fur child on Purina since she was a kitten. As she got older, the variety of choices of purina along with other cat foods came available, yet I wouldn't think of switching nor would my little 1 but as she aged, just such as us humans do as we get older, she started slowing down a bit so I decided to try the

Purina 1 Older Cat since it stated that it would help supply my little girl with all the nutrients & vitamins that she needed & that it would help bring out the kitten in her, so to speak.

I have to be honest & didn't believe that I would see much difference but held out hope that at least the extra nutrients would do her good. How wrong I was! Her mobility & agility increased greatly and let's just say that play time was extremely extended. Thank you very much to purina for not only making my little girl's life so much better but my also since I had the PLEASURE of 21 1/2 years with her. I can't promise or prove that it was the cat food alone, but I stand as a firm believer that it DEFINITELY played an important role, so I would highly recommend this product to anyone that loves their fur babies as much as me. THX MUCH, 1 HAPPY momma!

Original review: July 17, 2020

Satisfied. No issues with the cat food. No hair balls or throwing up. Also the price of the food is very reasonable and it is also easy to locate. I have always used this food and I recommend it to all cats.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I buy this because the cats are always hungry and eat it right up. It keeps them satisfied, fur shiny and body healthy. The nutrients in the product seem to be exactly what they need to live an active lifestyle. I am glad I choose this product and will recommend it to all my friends and anyone else adopting a cat.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I am using Purina Pro Plan Cat Food - both dry & wet - upon the recommendations of my vet. I have one "special needs" cat who weighs 30 lbs. and has IBS; it's nearly impossible to keep his food separate from the other two, who fortunately like Purina Pro Plan as well!

Original review: July 14, 2020

I have used several brands of food for my cats but this brand is what they like the best. This is what they like over anything else I have fed them. I feel it is a well balanced diet for them also. The price is reasonable and it is easy to find to purchase.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Our cat Butch is a senior FIV cat. He really enjoys the Pro Plan Products. We are now using another Pro Plan product the Live Clear which is supposed to help with the dander. This company seems to make very good products and our Butch is thriving.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I rely on how my cats are feeling. I read the ingredients and they seem ok. I tried Blue Buffalo and it was to rich for them. They threw up. So I read reviews and I have them eating Purina Tender Selects -salmon and they like the smell of it. I am trusting Purina to make a food that promotes good health and long life. Both my kitties look healthy.

Original review: July 5, 2020

Garbage ingredients. Including meat byproducts in the food is just a cheap way for a company of finding a solution for all the wasted stuff after removing the core meat of the animal. Quality type foods don't include meat b-products, anything artificial or added color.

Original review: July 4, 2020

My vet recommended Purina Pro Plan Food but definitely not the grain free. My cats enjoy it and they seem to be losing some weight also which is great. With the prices of cat food going up it’s almost the same price as Fancy Feast which is just empty calories.

Original review: July 3, 2020

My cats enjoyed this food and they never produced hairballs. But my one cat put on quite a bit of weight so I swapped to a higher % of meat. She's lost the weight, though I don't know if it's the new product or she doesn't like the taste as much!

Original review: July 2, 2020

Purina Pro Plan is a great all around cat food for indoor cats! I have European Burmese cats that are 18 yrs old this year, and are still playful like kittens! Their coats are beautiful and it all due to their food and care!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I have tried the Purina Pro Plan in the dry foods in different flavors for my cats, and they all loved it, but since my cats have developed urinary crystals from eating dry foods from all different brands and flavors, purchased from all the major pet companies, I have decided to take them off of dry foods completely after researching more into foods that are best for urinary health. I purchased Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Tract Health in canned, and only one of my cats ate the canned food. The others wouldn't eat it. My cats did vomit off of certain flavors of the dry food in the past made from Purina Pro Plan, but with other flavors they loved and had no problems.

Overall, you pay for what you get, is the reason higher quality foods are more expensive, but no matter how high quality the dry food is, it's not worth feeding dry foods to your cats. After researching the different foods, I reduced my overall five star for Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Tract Health to two stars mainly because of the ingredients used in to make it, and also because all my cats aren't eating it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I used to feed my cats all the foods from Pet Food Express, supposed to be "higher quality foods", then noticed that they were vomiting, had diarrhea with certain brands, and gained weight. Then my cats started to develop crystals and blood in their urine, which was a huge red flag for me, that these supposed "higher quality foods" were causing my cats to form crystals in their urine. Mentally, it was difficult for me to switch to the other brands like Hills Science Diet and Purina foods because I believed from reading some reviews that they weren't great quality foods. But my vet carries these brands, and vet professionals have informed me that these brands are great quality foods.

After researching the best foods for my cats, I decided to stick with Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Health foods because every time I have used Purina Pro Plan in both wet and dry foods (in different flavors and types), they have never failed my cats. They love the food, they haven't vomited or had diarrhea with any of the foods, they're able to maintain a healthy weight, and most important of all, they're not suffering from urinary issues, such as with crystals or infection.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

For the past 13 years or more My cat were eating Pro Plan and the past year I observed that they are not eating like before and this month they are all vomiting the food. Is there a reason they stop making the True Nature?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I just bought a case of Gourmet Naturals to try to transition my girl cat to eat it...and also figured I would give my boy cat some too. I have read so many reviews about cats getting sick on Fancy Feast that I am wondering if I should throw it out. Unfortunately after I just started to transition my cat to eat this. I thought maybe since the naturals are pretty new maybe there would not be a problem with it. My girl cat has a problem with her stomach so I expect that maybe she may throw up but my boy could eat nails and it would not bother him so I could better judge as to how he reacts if it ok or not. Just really scared and concerned about my choice to use this food.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Contains carrageenan in the ingredients! This additive has been well documented as causing cancer in cats. Many cat food companies have removed this additive from its wet foods. (I don't believe it is contained in dry foods because CARRAGEENAN is a thickening agent.) I had been feeding it to my cats and just noticed the other day that it contains this additive. We consumers must read labels carefully (although the list of ingredients is difficult to read because of the very small print.) I am surprised that Purina would have this ingredient in their foods.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Started feeding Pro Plan Focus Salmon in 2014 after consulting a Purina sales rep at a pet store. Kitty loved it. After learning it had too many carbs bought more different brands of food. The male started getting tummy trouble. Female was okay. After a few months and a few different bags had to concede Pro Plan it is! Both Focus and Savour Salmon always a big hit. The only downside is the male put on too much weight with it but it's the only food they love and no tummy woes. Bought the shredded variety once but that upset the tummy but was giving a wet food too. So don't know which one exactly caused it so after buying expensive foods gourmet foods Pro Plan it still is. Wish they'd take the soy products out though.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I started my kittens on Purina Pro Plan Focus for Kittens Chicken and Rice flavor, based on my vet's recommendation, and purchased there. The first bag was very heartily eaten by both (non related) kittens and they thrived on it. I could not find it in my local stores, so I ordered from Amazon. One kitten will eat it though not as heartily, the other now refuses it. He also has developed severe, runny, foul diarrhea. I don't know if the Amazon bag was foul or not, but something is very wrong. He was gaining weight, very healthy, active, alert before I fed him the Pro Plan from Amazon. I do not know what to even try, now, other than making my own kitty food.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Followed the recommended amount of food for my cat's start weight alternating as advised. No additional food or treats given. My overweight cat gained weight (2 lbs to be exact) after three weeks on this plan. Discourage to see a weight gain gone back to prior vet recommended plan. My poor boy now has added weight to lose.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My cat is a very healthy cat. 2 days after eating this food, she had her entire butt caked in orange poop. This hasn't happened with other foods and yet I switch to this supposed "great" food and it is the worst experience I have ever had. I will never. Never buy this food again. Do not buy it for your cat if you care about them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Purina uses garbage from the landfill as "nutrients" in their pet food! This is why people are finding bugs and metal in the food! They also use road kill and euthanized pets! Boycott Nestle! They are evil! They bought out Purina and that's when the problems began! This cat food causes my cats to get sores and scabs all over their bodies and their hair falls out in patches!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have 3 indoor cats that I started feeding Purina Pro-Plan for sensitive stomachs, all 3 cats are vomiting every other day; I ordered this thru Amazon. I think there’s something wrong with this food. It’s a 16# bag. The last time I ordered this food it was loaded with ants, that was thru Chewy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My cat has been fed Purina One most of her life and she is now on the Senior cat food. At 15 years old the vets that I go to cannot believe she is 15 as she looks amazing. Her coat is healthy, thick and flowing and she is full of life. It seems that every single brand of pet food has killed a pet on here which makes me quite skeptical about such claims. All I can say is that this food has been a fabulous foundation for my cat's health and I would highly recommend!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I'm reviewing this product (Purina ProPlan Veterinary Diets UR urinary St/Ox) as unsafe. My two male cats both 5 years old were diagnosed with crystals in their bladders and have been on this prescribed formula for 3 years now. They have been eating this food without any problems. Now halfway into their brand new case of canned pate food they suddenly one day won't eat. These are cats that sing at my feet every morning for their breakfast. They have loved to eat this food before this. The expiration is in 2019. I'm sure it has to be contaminated or not canned properly. BAD BATCH!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Both cats started vomiting and had diarrhea for five days several times per day while eating wet True Nature Grain Free Purina food. I will request refund from Amazon and somehow return food to be destroyed. This has NEVER happened before.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Began feeding my 16 year old girl Purina one urinary tract health dry food today, and she has been vomiting and foaming at the mouth nonstop. I'm so angry and feel like I poisoned her by giving this food. It seems in one of many... I had already removed this food to return it. This is the first Purina product I have ever bought, and I will never use a Purina product again. I hope she will recover.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I had three cats pass away from cancer who consumed many years both Purina and Meow Mix formula. I am concerned about the old grains that dry foods are known to have and preservatives. I read on a review that this food has preservatives which made a cat gurus up and my cat was throwing up before got worse. Please call me at **.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have a 14 year old, 6 pound dog. She is older with very much diminished senses. In fact she is blind, deaf and I am sure cannot taste. She ate the majority of a can of the Beef and Vegetable food yesterday. This was from a new can. She was exhibiting 0 signs of sickness. Seconds after eating she puked what I thought was all of it up. Well it wasn't all because she only got more sick. She was sick like you cannot imagine.

My puppy picked up one piece about the size of a dime. It fell the floor and we must have missed it. Well seconds after eating it she was foaming at the mouth and shaking her head. She knew it was bad because she has her senses. 24 hours later and minutes ago she took her last breath. 20 minutes into digging her grave a beautiful butterfly showed up. Take it how you want but it happened and I am grateful. Anyway be warned about the cans of food. At a minimum give your pet a small bite and see how they react. If they are old do not feed them this stuff for a long while.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have two cats, both are young and my cats are not related, and both are not pure bred cats. I have been feeding Fancy Feast cat food to my cats and past cats for years off and on. Right now since my cats are both young I can tell when the food is not good. Either they both will not eat it or they both throw up after eating the same Fancy Feast food. I usually try to use the pate Fancy Feast and when this happens it can be any flavor, but it's the same flavor and can when they get sick. When this starts happening I stop giving them Fancy Feast and change to another brand. I worry that there is something bad in these foods. I have asked different vets over the years about cat foods and Fancy Feast is one that they say do not use if possible... I feel I should have the food analyzed the next time this happens. I worry that these large companies think more about the money than the cats...

They are definitely charging high prices for small portions... I can't find my receipt, but will give the cans scan information 5000042974 on bottom of can it says Best by: Jan 2019 70221160L21300908. Some of this food is purchased at Pavilions in Malibu and some is purchased at Smart & Final on Lindero in Westlake Village, CA.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Earlier tonight I opened a new 7LB bag of Purina One dry cat food. As soon as I opened it, all of these moths came flying out of the bag. Right away I dumped 85% of it in the trash to see what is at the bottom and there were bugs crawling everywhere inside, moths still flying out of bag and cocoons on inside and outside of bag in the seams. I contacted Purina and was told they will send me a replacement coupon and discount coupons. I contacted the store and they said bring what is left of the bag in and they will replace.

I went to the store and when I went to grab another bag I examined the outside good and it had cocoons on the seams of the bag. I went to grab another bag and all these moths came flying out. I checked all the bags on the shelf and they all seem to have these cocoons on the outside. I told the store manager never mind, I am not getting a replacement bag because they are all infested. They gave me store credit. I am still roaming my house with a vacuum hose sucking these moths up that are flying around and the cats are helping with chasing and catching them. I'm so grossed out. I will NEVER get any more Purina products ever again. This might explain why my cat has had such bad diarrhea lately.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Company Information