2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Merrick Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I've had the same experience I'm reading over and over here. Vomiting. Have used Merrick Limited Ingredient can cat food for years. Something has changed, looks different, smells different. All 3 of mine started vomiting. When it's one kitty vomiting I don't jump to conclusions but when all three get sick together right after I've noticed the food I'm feeding them looks and smells different... well. And vomiting the weird red-ish color of the food (turkey) for 12 hours: my sensitive girl was REALLY sick. I know I read the company was bought out a few years ago ("all about cats" website states: 2015, Nestlé Purina announced its buyout of Merrick Pet Care).

It seems once Purina buys out they wait a couple of years and then slowly start changing things, went through the same thing with my previous favorite brand. I'm guessing that could be what's going on? Whatever it is it's unfortunate because I'm out of options, this is the only reliable food that's worked for all of mine for the last couple of years.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have used Merrick cat food for years. I buy it from Pet Supplies Plus. About five days ago one of my cats threw up after eating some of the canned Merrick cat food and some of the dry Merrick cat food. He threw up and then was not interested in eating for a day. When he started eating again, he seemed reluctant and was very slow. He also was not interested in his food as much as he normally is. I was not sure what was wrong, but I noticed he had softened stools. Then my other cat started exhibiting the same symptoms. I have read some of the comments and I suspect there is a problem with the Merrick food. I am going to return all the Merrick food I bought. I just am not sure what food I can try now that Merrick has made changes to its cat food.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2020

The wet food is literally one of the only foods my super picky Maine Coon will eat. And she never gets sick of it either, like she will with other foods. Great ingredients and family owned, We love them. ❤️

Original review: June 3, 2020

I feel very upset what happend with this food, esp been feeding this close to 2 years. Maybe I got a bad batch or got unlucky but I rather share my experience so more people are aware of it. So I bought new bag from Petco and started feeding after week, cat started vomiting, then this moved to intense diarrhea where it became pure liquid form. I ended up taking to vet twice coz I thought it was parasite issue. Feeding medicine helped but diarrhea continued. When vet asked me what I was feeding and suggested prescribed wet/dry food, that's when I realized maybe dry food was causing it. I immediately changed the dry food to different brand, I had no issues with poop/vomiting since then.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We have been feeding our cat Merrick, both the Cowboy Cookout and Beef Wellington, for about 18 months. The last case I got is not the same. The gravy has been replaced with a gelatinous goop coating the top! I put some in a bowl and set it on the floor. My cat just walked away. I threw that can up and opened another one. Same goop. Thought it was just a bad batch, possibly expired, but the date on the bottom said it was good until 2022. I have read other recent reviews elsewhere, to people saying it's a definite change for the worse. Our cat is picky. Merrick has always been his favorite, but we have had to change to another brand.

Original review: May 1, 2020

My vet recommended that we feed our cats some wet food along with the dry. We chose Purrfect Bistro pate and the cats ate it but within a week they became sick. They would throw up and then they developed crystals from this food causing them to keep trying to pee and peeing blood. One cat needed to be put down and the other cat is fighting with antibiotics, pain meds and not eating this food. Hopefully she will recover unlike our Stormcloud. I will never buy from this company again....ever. From all the reviews I would definitely not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I'm so glad I discovered Merrick over 4 years ago. I started feeding it to my two cats when they were kittens; they will be 5 years old this May, and they are still fit, trim and full of energy! I give them a combination of both wet and dry food (each cat gets strictly 1/2 can of wet and 1/4 cup of dry per day). My one cat developed an illness when she was a kitten that lasted for months - I don't know what caused it, but she was lethargic all the time and had little appetite; the vet gave us a 'special formula' cat food to feed her, but the ingredients were awful - full of fillers and things cats should not be consuming! I was very aware of cat health already, so I tried a couple different healthy brands to see which one my currently picky cat would actually eat - and she would only eat Merrick.

Now you would never guess that she had once been so ill - she's such a happy, healthy kitty! I can't recommend this brand enough. I see from some other reviews on here that people have been noticing a change in Merrick cans and/or food formula this year (2019); I've noticed that they're changing the type of can they use, but so far my cats still seem to enjoy their food just as much as ever.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My cat is finicky on new foods, and she tends to puke here and there, but not crazy. They were out of the normal food and suggested this Merrick food. Cat seemed to like it alright, cleaned her dish. We use an automatic feeder since we spend weekend at the grand kids. I had four meals a day with a double serving at 6pm set. This Merrick, I set 6 meals and two were doubles. Instead of 5 servings, she was up to 8 or more if she was really pushy. Huge poops. HUGE. And enough vomit to choke a horse. I just cleaned up a hallway wall to wall puddle that was insane. Tomorrow I will hit the pet store to see if the other stuff is back in stock.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I changed to Merrick adult cat food in attempts to give our Cali a better quality food but during the 4 or 5 days she was fed this brand she kept vomiting. Now occasionally she would vomit but this was consistently after each time she ate this particular brand. At first I thought it was because she was eating too much so I decreased the quantity, then thought she was eating too fast but she refused to eat it after the 4th or 5th day. I gave her real chicken for one day to be sure it wasn't upset stomach, parasites or something and she kept it down so figured I'd try another brand. She ate the new one, with no problems, hasn't vomited once so it had to be the Merrick brand, not sure what it is but hopefully they'll look into it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I had a hard time for a few weeks to get the specialty flavors my finicky cat will eat and it was frustrating enough that I called the company. During the course of our conversation I found out one of those flavors was discontinued (to my dismay), and the other was out of stock. Then the customer service rep said that from time to time they like to change things up and also had updated some recipes to add more gravy. I questioned why they would do that. It seemed like they were adding gravy to the detriment of the actual meat because how would they fit it in the can otherwise. She assured me the other two flavors I was used to buying had not changed.

Well... when I got my regular delivery of the only flavor actually available at the time I noticed two things. The can is lighter weight and thinner. When I opened it, contrary to what I had been told, there was way more gravy in this formula, and my cat promptly threw it up. I mean projectile. She hasn’t done that in ages and has thrown this up several times. I have to feed her in quarter portions now to avoid that. I’m really disappointed. Looking for a replacement now, and what I’ve found for my 16 year old picky cat is Instinct which is more expensive. Almost twice as much. I’d wish Merrick had charged a little more instead of deciding to skimp on product. But since they’ve been bought by Purina/Nestlé (who claim that Merrick will be run independently... eye roll) I’m going to go with another brand. Nestlé is a water thief, and I’m already boycotting their other products, so as much as I’ve been a Merrick fan for over a decade, I’m prepared now to walk away.

Merrick Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Merrick has been a leading name in premium pet food for over 25 years. They don't produce formulas; they cook up delicious recipes designed to please the canine and feline palate.

• Made in America: Avoiding all the problems and recalls facing manufacturers who use overseas factories, Merrick makes their pet food in Hereford, Texas.

• Food you can trust: As part of their commitment to using only the highest quality ingredients, they use USDA-inspected meats and fresh produce to create their pet meals.

• Keeps dry food simple: Merrick offers a couple of different types of dry food, but only two basic, adult cat food flavors - chicken or salmon.

• Tempting flavors: They have a variety of different wet food options that sound good enough for a human to eat, with names like Beef Wellington, Duck Pate and Tuna Nicoise.

• Grain-free foods: All the pet foods they make are grain-free.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Merrick Cat Food Company Information