Merrick Cat Food

Compare Cat Food

Research top Cat Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am extremely unhappy with this product for one main reason... fraudulent packaging. My cat actually enjoys most varieties of the food. But when you open a can it is far less than full. There's a gap around the edges and an empty hole (sometimes large) in the middle. It results in there being about 1/4 less food than there should be. Other cat food companies, like Blue, also have a packaging issue and I've complained to them as well. In fact, I've complained to the NY attorney general's office and stopped buying their product. I've stopped buying the Merrick cans that I know have this issue. Some of them do not. This is outright fraud, IMHO, and I'm really ticked off, without anything I can do about it. You can.

This company has very poor quality control and customer service. I have 3 cats, 2 barn and 1 indoor. I feed them one meal of human grade raw meat and one meal of a grain-free canned daily. I rotate each brand of canned food for 3 months and purchase by the case. My last case of the Chicken Pate smelled fine but the cats were turning their nose up at it. Very unusual. Then, when spooning the food onto a plate I noticed something it the food. It was dark brown, approx. 3" long, covered with hair and smelled like poop.

I immediately contacted the company and the FDA, sending photos to both and offered to send them the specimen. (They didn't want it). Today (5/9/16) I received a letter stating that "I hope your issue was addressed to your satisfaction" with 2 coupons, each for 1 can of 5.5 oz of Purrfect Bistro. That is it! No apology, no explanation... nothing! Do I want their stupid coupons that expire 8/4/16? NOPE!! Poorly run company!! Will post on every blog, website and FB page possible.

Try Merrick cat for my 2 cats. Noticed coloring of food not right. Opened cans, both same flavor but totally different colors. My cats liked it at first, now will not eat it. I thought this was a good quality cat food? Opened more, big hole in center.

Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate - I never know the quality of the food in the can. I have 3 cats, so I buy 1-2 cases at a time (very hard for stores to get). Each case is different. Some product in cans is reddish and has a distinct smell, that one my cats love. Open another case and the product is brownish color and different smell. My cats will not eat it AT ALL, I end up throwing it all away. I have read other complaints same as mine. Why can I not get food that is the same? Are they putting the cheaper food in wrong cans. I just know that I have wasted a lot of money and now I have to start all over again to find a canned food they will eat. What has happened to Merrick, it's scary. I love my cats and I check food carefully. Thank you.

Three months ago I bought the kitten grain free formula from Merrick dry food. I have two kittens. They were eaten the food, but sometimes they spitted the food. Lucky us. One day, I saw a long, clear piece of plastic in one piece of the food, then I started to have my doubts about the safety of this food. I kept feeding them with that food just checking every single piece, then, the following week I found another piece of plastic same thing long and clear. I called the company. They said they will investigate the matter and asked me for the number of the bag, and send me a voucher for a bag of free food. Just in case, I don't want to take any chances with my kittens, so I won't feed them this food anymore. And anyway, I don't think they like it very much. I hope the company finds out where the plastic comes from, and find a solution. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?

Upon opening a can of their New England Boil (TM), I noticed a piece of plastic (2"x3") mixed in with the food. The plastic reminded me of the plastic that the book company I purchase from, packages their books for shipment. I fear for those dogs/cats that have their guardians that don't notice due to being in a hurry, etc. I hate mass production as it is apparently here to stay!!!

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Merrick has been a leading name in premium pet food for over 25 years. They don't produce formulas; they cook up delicious recipes designed to please the canine and feline palate.

• Made in America: Avoiding all the problems and recalls facing manufacturers who use overseas factories, Merrick makes their pet food in Hereford, Texas.
  • Food you can trust: As part of their commitment to using only the highest quality ingredients, they use USDA-inspected meats and fresh produce to create their pet meals.
  • Keeps dry food simple: Merrick offers a couple of different types of dry food, but only two basic, adult cat food flavors - chicken or salmon.
  • Tempting flavors: They have a variety of different wet food options that sound good enough for a human to eat, with names like Beef Wellington, Duck Pate and Tuna Nicoise.
  • Grain-free foods: All the pet foods they make are grain-free.
  • Best for Kittens, picky cats and inactive cats.

Compare Cat Food