1.71/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

22 Merrick Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

My 2 yr old cat has been eating Merrick Cat Food since I adopted him 2 yrs ago and eats 4 or 5 flavors of the grain free pâte. He always looks forward to his meals but these past 2 weeks he’s been turning his nose up!!! The last time a cat that I had did this, the food company had been taken over by another owner. And, obviously changed the formula. Something tells me Merrick has changed the ingredients or quality of the food too. Why would they be so foolish to do this? If it’s not broken, don't fix it!!

Another thing I observed is, the food was filled to the brim in every can and in the past 8 mo. it is missing a good 3 tablespoons of the product. And an air bubble is on the bottom of the food with a brown silver dollar sized flap of something indescribable stuck to the bottom of the can. Very weird!! I called customer service to complain about this odd finding and they sent me a voucher for a free flat (24 ct.) of canned food. But this doesn’t please me that it won’t solve the problem. My cat and I used to be happy, but all that has changed. It’s too expensive of a product to be skimping on the quantity and the quality. Time to look for another company with good integrity.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I've been purchasing this product since it replaced the previous 'New England Boil'. The quality has gone downhill since then. The batches are very hit or miss. Some batches are fine, others (most lately) are 2/3 water. They say that they want feedback, but nothing has changed in the past year. I'm trying to get my cat to eat something else, but he is, unfortunately, extremely finicky.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Pet store recommended Merrick about 6 months ago over another brand because he said they were a better company and made better food. I believe this WAS true since my dog and cat both started eating better after the switch. We buy food about every 2 months, so 2 months ago cat was still eating fine, but with this new batch, my cat is refusing to eat it. I tried switching to a different formula "minimal ingredient recipe" and still he won't touch it. Just found out the company sold out by reading these reviews. Obviously something has changed and not for the better. On with the search for a better product. Might have to start adding my animals to my grocery budget and just start feeding them from the kitchen if a company can't stay pure!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My cat has been raw-fed since he was a kitten (he is now 2 years), but when I am traveling I buy the best quality canned food I can find and transition him over in the week before I leave. I made a 2 week trip in August 2018 (my cat LOVES road trips), and I bought an entire flat of Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate from my local pet store (he's a big cat - he eats 8-12 oz per day, depending on his activity). He was eating it for 2 weeks no problem. On the very last day, mid-morning, my cat became VIOLENTLY ill. Constant diarrhea and vomiting. It was eventually just clear fluids coming out both ends, very scary. He was lethargic and isolating himself hunched up in a corner. I took him to the emergency vet: he had a fever and was mildly dehydrated. We did a bunch of tests which came back fine, but they kept him for 3 nights on IV because he wouldn't eat anything.

The vet suggested an allergy to his food, which I didn't think made sense since he had been eating it for nearly 2 weeks and was fine, though he did have a runny poop the day before. I thought he had gotten into something poisonous while we were stopped at a rest-stop. To be safe, I stopped giving him the Merrick and fed him a grocery store brand that had good ingredients until I could switch him back to raw (after he was through all the antibiotics etc.). He was great for months (good appetite/good poops).

Two days ago, I was looking at the 1/3 of a case of canned Merrick I had left, and thought - maybe I can see if he will eat this again, so it doesn't go to waste. I trialed him with 1/2 a can (~3oz). Within 2 hours he had pure liquid diarrhea. Now, I'm not a vet, but I am a scientist, and that kind of cause-effect seems pretty clear. I will NEVER feed my cat this crap again. NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

This food is not good. I do not know what they are putting in it, but my cat has lost quite a bit of weight and is now very underweight. I also found from Amazon reviews that other people's cats have been losing weight on this food to the point of starvation, which I feel is also happening to my cat, and she eats constantly. I also purchase from Amazon and realized other people are having similar problems with weight loss. I couldn't figure out why she was losing weight. It is very crumbly and gives my cat bad breath, and gets all over her face and stays there. She was a very happy cat and now is very lethargic and tired. I am changing her food immediately, after realizing she has lost weight with this, even though she eats constantly. Bad food. I don't know what Purina is pulling, but it is not good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

The last couple of bags of Purrfect Bistro chow I have used is filled with crumbled chow dust. The cats stopped eating it because of all the crumbs that sit on the top. I have to keep shaking their bowl to make it settle. I used to buy Merrick because they had their own processing plant so their food didn't get mixed with everybody else's. With all the crumbled kibble dust I can't buy this anymore. It's a waste of money. Things have sure changed at Merrick since they sold out or supposedly did. What a shame... Happens every time when Big Corporations take over. They ruin everything! No more...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I went to feed my cat today and opened a can of the Merrick grain free chicken pate. She’s been eating the same brand for 2 years. I order it from Amazon. Well today I went to open the tab and it exploded in my face & went all over me and on the wall. The smell was horrible. I immediately jumped into my shower. Thank God I had my glasses on because it covered my face and hair. I still can’t get the smell out of my house and it smells like something died. On top of it my cheeks feel like they are on fire and burning. I’m sure it was a faulty seal in the can and a build up of gases. This happened an hour ago. I’ve tried contacting Amazon and I’ve tried contacting Merrick. This product needs to be recalled.

This could’ve been so much worse. If the burning on my face doesn’t improve I will be going to the ER. This happened about an hour ago. When I say exploded I don’t mean I open the tab and it popped. It literally exploded with a loud bang!!! I’m so angry that neither Amazon nor Merrick will respond to me or much less care. I put the rest of the cans outside on my back porch and tripled bagged the exploded can. I want this product removed from the market. I will never buy it again!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Have been using Merrick chicken kibble for 10 years. Have noticed, particularly the last 6 months my 3 kibble loving cats are getting chubby, seem unsatiated and have considerable congestion issues...then I found out that the company was sold to a multi corporation focused on money, not pet care. I have 7 cats...we depend on excellent quality in pet food to facilitate good health and reduced vet bills. I am angry that I wasn't informed sooner. NO MORE MERRICK CRAP.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Just opened a can of Merrick's COWBOY COOKOUT. Instead of the usual meaty contents, I got ONLY GRAVY and a VERY small quantity of solid food. Are you kidding? At $1.69 per can? I've purchased COWBOY COOKOUT for years which DID have excellent vet recommendations as high quality food. Is this the "new" Merrick? I am so shocked and disappointed!!! I will call the pet store AND your company to complain.

Original review: July 5, 2018

My cat (5 years old) refuses to eat Merrick Purrfect Bistro. I tried mixing with regular brand, by itself, with water added. She would rather go hungry. Now she smells the Merrick and walks away. I had to make a trip to get her old brand (FROMM) since she refuses to eat Merrick the last 2 days. I had picked Merrick because I liked the ingredients, same as in other cat foods she is used to. However, no more Merrick at our home.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Purrfect Bistro - Kitten (dry & wet) - I've read all of the reviews and have had none of the problems others have described. My 5 month old Short Hair goes nuts when it's time to eat! Mowing, purring, & prancing while I'm mixing it up. I purchased 2 cases of wet cans & a bag of dry from Amazon. I notice no off-flavors in either. I am a Professional Brewer who has gone through a rigorous sensory training program so my nose is definitely honed to detect off-flavors. And both taste fine. Yup I taste my animal’s food. I've had cats, dogs, & rabbits my whole life of 43 years and by far Merrick is the best smelling & tasting pet food.

Regarding the Nestle\Purina acquisition, it's true. And sad. But I have friends who brew for Lagunitas which was acquired by Heineken, and Goose Island which AB-InBev (Budweiser) acquired. Their products and the company cultures have not been compromised by big money. Yet. If anything their products have gotten better with more money and access to better & more expensive testing & qa\qc procedures. I give 4 stars because everything could always be better! If I noticed any fluctuations I'll update this review.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Wow! After contacting Merrick Pet Food Customer Service about an unknown, hard lump object inside their canned "Rabbit Recipe" cat food that could harm a cat's teeth, the best they offered was UPS delivery pick up to examine the object. Not even a "Sorry this happened" or "We'll send you some coupons to make up for this."

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I adopted a beautiful ragdoll Siamese cross type cat from the shelter... Changing cat food frequently to try to get away from dandruff and the poor Kitty vomiting. This is the only food that I found that she is not vomiting anymore. It's a sheer blessing. This is probably the reason why she went to the shelter to begin with. I went through minimum of 6 different types of food Kitty wouldn't even eat moist food. So that wasn't even an option. I was lucky when she liked the salmon formula and even eats the freeze-dried kidlets. Which she would not do in other formula. This works for my cat. Took me over a year to find it but we will continue to buy this food. Thank you.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Two months ago, I purchased, through Amazon, 4 cases of the Limited Ingredient Diet, Real Chicken Recipe. The first 4 cases were great, good moisture and color of the product. My cats loved it. Cost per case, $33.08. The next 4 cases that I purchased for this month are not good. Dry, very little moisture, a dark color and does not smell well at all. My cats will not eat it. So THAT puts me into a bind, thought I had a good source of quality food, NOT... Being I am low income, I am stuck with 3 and one half cases, $115.78 worth of useless canned cat food. I will be contacting Amazon to see if I can return these and get a credit. Merrick was a good choice for cat food, years ago but being they have sold out to the Nestle corporation I truly doubt they care about pet health and only about MONEY.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I have been a long-time Merrick canned food buyer. I have 4 cats, I buy from Petco. I am considering changing to a different brand now because I have noticed that my cats are now turning their noses up when I open different flavors. I open one can (chicken and duck mostly) the cats will eat it, I open another can, the color is different and the cats ALL 4 won't touch IT!! What the heck is going on? This brand sure isn't cheap!!

Oh - by the way I had a recent experience when I opened a can of DUCK and OH MY GOSH... my whole kitchen & dining room STUNK SOOO BAD, I don't know what the heck was in that can. IT was terrible!!! I put it in a plastic baggie and took it to Petco. They were in SHOCK! THE SMELL COULDN'T EVEN BE CONTAINED IN THE BAG. They hurried and took it in the back and said they were going to contact Merrick. GOOD LUCK. Poor customer service!!! Thank goodness my cats are OK!! But, BYE-BYE Merrick!!! They lost a BIG-time spender!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

We feed our cat the Merrick's brand of Diet Kibble for cats. It does the job of keeping Percy's weight down while feeding very good ingredients. My only problem is that we have to order online as I cannot find it in the stores.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I am extremely unhappy with this product for one main reason... fraudulent packaging. My cat actually enjoys most varieties of the food. But when you open a can it is far less than full. There's a gap around the edges and an empty hole (sometimes large) in the middle. It results in there being about 1/4 less food than there should be. Other cat food companies, like Blue, also have a packaging issue and I've complained to them as well. In fact, I've complained to the NY attorney general's office and stopped buying their product. I've stopped buying the Merrick cans that I know have this issue. Some of them do not. This is outright fraud, IMHO, and I'm really ticked off, without anything I can do about it. You can.

Original review: May 9, 2016

This company has very poor quality control and customer service. I have 3 cats, 2 barn and 1 indoor. I feed them one meal of human grade raw meat and one meal of a grain-free canned daily. I rotate each brand of canned food for 3 months and purchase by the case. My last case of the Chicken Pate smelled fine but the cats were turning their nose up at it. Very unusual. Then, when spooning the food onto a plate I noticed something it the food. It was dark brown, approx. 3" long, covered with hair and smelled like poop.

I immediately contacted the company and the FDA, sending photos to both and offered to send them the specimen. (They didn't want it). Today (5/9/16) I received a letter stating that "I hope your issue was addressed to your satisfaction" with 2 coupons, each for 1 can of 5.5 oz of Purrfect Bistro. That is it! No apology, no explanation... nothing! Do I want their stupid coupons that expire 8/4/16? NOPE!! Poorly run company!! Will post on every blog, website and FB page possible.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

Try Merrick cat for my 2 cats. Noticed coloring of food not right. Opened cans, both same flavor but totally different colors. My cats liked it at first, now will not eat it. I thought this was a good quality cat food? Opened more, big hole in center.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate - I never know the quality of the food in the can. I have 3 cats, so I buy 1-2 cases at a time (very hard for stores to get). Each case is different. Some product in cans is reddish and has a distinct smell, that one my cats love. Open another case and the product is brownish color and different smell. My cats will not eat it AT ALL, I end up throwing it all away. I have read other complaints same as mine. Why can I not get food that is the same? Are they putting the cheaper food in wrong cans. I just know that I have wasted a lot of money and now I have to start all over again to find a canned food they will eat. What has happened to Merrick, it's scary. I love my cats and I check food carefully. Thank you.

Original review: March 19, 2015

Three months ago I bought the kitten grain free formula from Merrick dry food. I have two kittens. They were eaten the food, but sometimes they spitted the food. Lucky us. One day, I saw a long, clear piece of plastic in one piece of the food, then I started to have my doubts about the safety of this food. I kept feeding them with that food just checking every single piece, then, the following week I found another piece of plastic same thing long and clear. I called the company. They said they will investigate the matter and asked me for the number of the bag, and send me a voucher for a bag of free food. Just in case, I don't want to take any chances with my kittens, so I won't feed them this food anymore. And anyway, I don't think they like it very much. I hope the company finds out where the plastic comes from, and find a solution. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2010

Upon opening a can of their New England Boil (TM), I noticed a piece of plastic (2"x3") mixed in with the food. The plastic reminded me of the plastic that the book company I purchase from, packages their books for shipment. I fear for those dogs/cats that have their guardians that don't notice due to being in a hurry, etc. I hate mass production as it is apparently here to stay!!!

Merrick Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Merrick has been a leading name in premium pet food for over 25 years. They don't produce formulas; they cook up delicious recipes designed to please the canine and feline palate.

• Made in America: Avoiding all the problems and recalls facing manufacturers who use overseas factories, Merrick makes their pet food in Hereford, Texas.

• Food you can trust: As part of their commitment to using only the highest quality ingredients, they use USDA-inspected meats and fresh produce to create their pet meals.

• Keeps dry food simple: Merrick offers a couple of different types of dry food, but only two basic, adult cat food flavors - chicken or salmon.

• Tempting flavors: They have a variety of different wet food options that sound good enough for a human to eat, with names like Beef Wellington, Duck Pate and Tuna Nicoise.

• Grain-free foods: All the pet foods they make are grain-free.

• Best for: Kittens, picky cats and inactive cats.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Merrick Cat Food Company Information