1.82/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Merrick Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Merrick Cat Food Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I'm so glad I discovered Merrick over 4 years ago. I started feeding it to my two cats when they were kittens; they will be 5 years old this May, and they are still fit, trim and full of energy! I give them a combination of both wet and dry food (each cat gets strictly 1/2 can of wet and 1/4 cup of dry per day). My one cat developed an illness when she was a kitten that lasted for months - I don't know what caused it, but she was lethargic all the time and had little appetite; the vet gave us a 'special formula' cat food to feed her, but the ingredients were awful - full of fillers and things cats should not be consuming! I was very aware of cat health already, so I tried a couple different healthy brands to see which one my currently picky cat would actually eat - and she would only eat Merrick.

Now you would never guess that she had once been so ill - she's such a happy, healthy kitty! I can't recommend this brand enough. I see from some other reviews on here that people have been noticing a change in Merrick cans and/or food formula this year (2019); I've noticed that they're changing the type of can they use, but so far my cats still seem to enjoy their food just as much as ever.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My cat is finicky on new foods, and she tends to puke here and there, but not crazy. They were out of the normal food and suggested this Merrick food. Cat seemed to like it alright, cleaned her dish. We use an automatic feeder since we spend weekend at the grand kids. I had four meals a day with a double serving at 6pm set. This Merrick, I set 6 meals and two were doubles. Instead of 5 servings, she was up to 8 or more if she was really pushy. Huge poops. HUGE. And enough vomit to choke a horse. I just cleaned up a hallway wall to wall puddle that was insane. Tomorrow I will hit the pet store to see if the other stuff is back in stock.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I changed to Merrick adult cat food in attempts to give our Cali a better quality food but during the 4 or 5 days she was fed this brand she kept vomiting. Now occasionally she would vomit but this was consistently after each time she ate this particular brand. At first I thought it was because she was eating too much so I decreased the quantity, then thought she was eating too fast but she refused to eat it after the 4th or 5th day. I gave her real chicken for one day to be sure it wasn't upset stomach, parasites or something and she kept it down so figured I'd try another brand. She ate the new one, with no problems, hasn't vomited once so it had to be the Merrick brand, not sure what it is but hopefully they'll look into it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I had a hard time for a few weeks to get the specialty flavors my finicky cat will eat and it was frustrating enough that I called the company. During the course of our conversation I found out one of those flavors was discontinued (to my dismay), and the other was out of stock. Then the customer service rep said that from time to time they like to change things up and also had updated some recipes to add more gravy. I questioned why they would do that. It seemed like they were adding gravy to the detriment of the actual meat because how would they fit it in the can otherwise. She assured me the other two flavors I was used to buying had not changed.

Well... when I got my regular delivery of the only flavor actually available at the time I noticed two things. The can is lighter weight and thinner. When I opened it, contrary to what I had been told, there was way more gravy in this formula, and my cat promptly threw it up. I mean projectile. She hasn’t done that in ages and has thrown this up several times. I have to feed her in quarter portions now to avoid that. I’m really disappointed. Looking for a replacement now, and what I’ve found for my 16 year old picky cat is Instinct which is more expensive. Almost twice as much. I’d wish Merrick had charged a little more instead of deciding to skimp on product. But since they’ve been bought by Purina/Nestlé (who claim that Merrick will be run independently... eye roll) I’m going to go with another brand. Nestlé is a water thief, and I’m already boycotting their other products, so as much as I’ve been a Merrick fan for over a decade, I’m prepared now to walk away.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My first clue something might be up was when it took my local co-op 2 weeks to get my usual case of this cat food. I switch off every 2 days with another kind of cat food, so I bought 3 cans at Petco to tide them over. That's when I discovered it now comes in aluminum cans! The ingredient list is longer, but not a lot different from what I've been able to discern so far. My 3 rather finicky cats all still like it, so changing would be difficult, but I'm not happy about the aluminum cans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Purchased at Petco because it was discontinued and price reduced. Thought I was getting a good deal on a quality cat food. I have 5 cats rescued from a colony from one abandoned pregnant cat. I have never cleaned up so much vomit! I blame the food.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

We have been feeding our 2 cats Merrick their whole lives. Recently, within the last couple of weeks, my 8 year old has decided that he doesn't like their wet food, and he's not so keen on the dry food either. My 14 year old (who is very active) will still eat it but they are not as anxious about eating it as they had been. I know the formula changed. I can see it when I open the can. It doesn't look as natural and it is a different consistency than it used to be.

In the beginning, you could open a can and see carrots and peas inside but now it looks like processed food. I read where Nestle bought out Merrick last year. Of course they changed things. I'm not a fan of Nestle because of their CEO saying things like "water is a privilege and not a right." And I boycott Nestle as much as possible. I stuck with Merrick because they had integrity and it was a good product. Now it's one more Nestle thing I am not going to be buying. I can't imagine how many other upset consumers there are over Merrick changing everything.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My 2 yr old cat has been eating Merrick Cat Food since I adopted him 2 yrs ago and eats 4 or 5 flavors of the grain free pâte. He always looks forward to his meals but these past 2 weeks he’s been turning his nose up!!! The last time a cat that I had did this, the food company had been taken over by another owner. And, obviously changed the formula. Something tells me Merrick has changed the ingredients or quality of the food too. Why would they be so foolish to do this? If it’s not broken, don't fix it!!

Another thing I observed is, the food was filled to the brim in every can and in the past 8 mo. it is missing a good 3 tablespoons of the product. And an air bubble is on the bottom of the food with a brown silver dollar sized flap of something indescribable stuck to the bottom of the can. Very weird!! I called customer service to complain about this odd finding and they sent me a voucher for a free flat (24 ct.) of canned food. But this doesn’t please me that it won’t solve the problem. My cat and I used to be happy, but all that has changed. It’s too expensive of a product to be skimping on the quantity and the quality. Time to look for another company with good integrity.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I've been purchasing this product since it replaced the previous 'New England Boil'. The quality has gone downhill since then. The batches are very hit or miss. Some batches are fine, others (most lately) are 2/3 water. They say that they want feedback, but nothing has changed in the past year. I'm trying to get my cat to eat something else, but he is, unfortunately, extremely finicky.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Pet store recommended Merrick about 6 months ago over another brand because he said they were a better company and made better food. I believe this WAS true since my dog and cat both started eating better after the switch. We buy food about every 2 months, so 2 months ago cat was still eating fine, but with this new batch, my cat is refusing to eat it. I tried switching to a different formula "minimal ingredient recipe" and still he won't touch it. Just found out the company sold out by reading these reviews. Obviously something has changed and not for the better. On with the search for a better product. Might have to start adding my animals to my grocery budget and just start feeding them from the kitchen if a company can't stay pure!

Merrick Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Merrick has been a leading name in premium pet food for over 25 years. They don't produce formulas; they cook up delicious recipes designed to please the canine and feline palate.

• Made in America: Avoiding all the problems and recalls facing manufacturers who use overseas factories, Merrick makes their pet food in Hereford, Texas.

• Food you can trust: As part of their commitment to using only the highest quality ingredients, they use USDA-inspected meats and fresh produce to create their pet meals.

• Keeps dry food simple: Merrick offers a couple of different types of dry food, but only two basic, adult cat food flavors - chicken or salmon.

• Tempting flavors: They have a variety of different wet food options that sound good enough for a human to eat, with names like Beef Wellington, Duck Pate and Tuna Nicoise.

• Grain-free foods: All the pet foods they make are grain-free.

• Best for: Kittens, picky cats and inactive cats.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Merrick Cat Food Company Information