2.14/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2017

Recently Purina changed this food (Purina One salmon and tuna blend try food). I had quite a few cats on it. After they changed it, every one of my cats on this food starting getting sick and vomiting! I wrote Purina asking what they did to the food. I never got an answer. So I would steer clear of the "new" Purina one salmon and tuna blend. Try cat food!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I believe this is the best cat food for my budget. There are others that are better but more expensive however Petsmart is fleecing the public by raising the prices frequently... What used to be 65 cents a can not long ago is now 99 cents for 3 ounces.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I bought Purina one until my cats' favorite flavors, such as chicken & rice, were switched over to pro plan. Now I have to pay more for the same products. It's still a great cat food but that was kinda sneaky though.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

My fur balls loves this brand and they are both hard to please, this brand is helping my little girl who suffers from a health problem. So far this is the only dry and wet food that she loves. I also love the variety that they offer and the ingredients in their food.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I have bought Purina Pro Plan for many years and my cats really enjoy the chicken and/or salmon kibbles. I had to change to Hill's Prescription Diet c/d for my male cat because he had some urinary tract issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

I haven't had any problems with their food, in fact when I first brought my cats into the vets when they were neutered and got their shots at 5-6 months he asked what I was feeding them and I said Friskies and Purina, he said "good"...but reading these comments I am worried. The oldest cat Petey 2 1/2 years old is very picky and will maybe vomit once every 2-3 weeks, but it is usually after he eats too much. He is nicely trim, not fat or even a little chubby, they are both indoor cats and rescued from the streets as tiny kittens. The youngest Leo 1 1/2 years old loves the dry food and honestly isn't as picky as Petey, and never vomits.

I have tried other brands like Iam's but my cats wouldn't eat it. I do mix up the dry food, I buy the 3.5oz bags of Friskies or Purina and mix different bags of flavours into a large plastic container and then mix it, so the cats are always getting a variety of flavours each time they eat. I work all day and with no one home I always have their dry food bowl filled and is usually needing more every 2 days, so they aren't over eating. I give them a spoonful of can Friskies every morning and every evening, they do not like the Purina can... they don't like most other can foods either like Sheba or Fancy Feast. Any info on the best foods that aren't so expensive would be helpful.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I started feeding my 13+ (strictly indoor all his life) cat Purina Pro Plan Urinary tract formula (morning) and metabolism formula (afternoon) canned food about a month ago. The first week he was fine. The second week he started having a little diarrhea and then he started projectile vomiting a greenish-yellow bile for 3 days in a row until I finally took him to the vet. $180 later my vet told me that my cat had unusually high amount of Spirochetes in his gut. Prior to feeding him Purina I had always feed him Iams indoor hard cat food but he lost his front teeth and couldn't digest the food as well anymore. After reading all the other reviews I am totally confident that the Purina is the culprit. All cans aren't due to expire until 2018.

Also I just bought a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy formula for my 7+ dog. Also an indoor pet whom usually eats Iams but they were out at the grocery store. I opened the bag to feed him and it was full of maggots. The bags expiration date was for October 2017. I complained to Purina and they blamed it on Food Lion.

Original review: July 27, 2016

I have been feeding my cat Purina Indoor Cat food (green bag) for about a year. I noticed she'd sometimes throw up after consuming it but I attributed that to her eating it so fast. Anyway, this past weekend I ended up being stranded in a different city and had my cat with me. I only had enough food for one night, so my husband and I ran out to Walmart to grab another bag. She ate it up and seemed ok. However, we woke up the next day to diarrhea EVERYWHERE and vomit.

I thought maybe she was stressed so I kept an eye on her hoping it'd get better. She didn't seem stressed at all up to this point is a good traveller. Anyway, she went to the bathroom again early afternoon and I noticed she had blood in her stool - bright red blood. I immediately called an emergency vet.

Again, I was stranded without my vehicle on a acreage a half an hour from the nearest city. I had to call my husband who arranged to have somebody bring me his work truck. I brought her in, they did a series of tests and X-rays. They asked me what food I was feeding her and when I told them, they were not happy. I was not able to get a full diagnosis as they could not figure out what was wrong. However, they still prescribed me meds just in case of certain things... But after reading THESE REVIEWS I am blaming the food!! We all have way too much in common here with our experiences lately. I'd love for Purina to pay my $1400 vet bill too! I'll submit my receipt. Anybody else interested in obtaining a lawyer?? Maybe a group action suit if that possible. I am so angry and now am off to buy different food.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I have 7 cats, 2 have sensitive stomachs, so I tried the pro plan sensitive stomach formula. All 7 cats threw it up, they couldn't even digest this food. It came back out the same as it went in. Didn't even look like it had been eaten. Hello Purina, it's sensitive stomach formula... Get my drift?? I will never feed your crappie food to my animals again. I have a pet parent. I trained their dog. He works at the Purina plant here in Denver, he warned me to not feed Purina. The guy works there!!! I'm happy he was honest with me. Purina is a disgrace to our pets!!

Original review: July 12, 2016

Kitten food Chicken and Liver - We bought 2 cases of the product. First few cans seemed okay, though a bit of an odd smell. The last can we opened, the smell was so bad that we had to bag it and take it straight to the trash. It literally smelled like a can of feces. Concerned for my kitten's health now. Product was spoiled in the can. Best by Nov2017. 53171162 L20021653. I contacted Purina - requesting a full refund and logging a case in the event my kitten needs medical attention.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Company Information