4.2/5 (786 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: April 11, 2022

I have been using Healthy Paws since I adopted my first cat in 2018, and they always provide the quickest response and claim processing. All you need to do is to provide the invoice and the medical records that you get from the vet. They usually process within 10 days, and if you have provided enough documents, there would be no back and forth on the coverage. They always cover as much as they can, and all would list clearly on the claim statement. I adopted a new cat last year, keep choosing Healthy Paws. He was terribly ill last month, but with Healthy Paws, I did not hesitate to take him to the vet and did every exam that we need to save his life. He is now getting better. I filed two claims and both went through quickly. Healthy Paws really support us pets' parents as reliable insurance.

Original review: April 8, 2022

When our dog Dash developed a limp, x-rays showed he may have compressed disks in his spine. The vet recommended an MRI, at $3,500. We knew Healthy Paws would be there for us, so we said yes. Healthy Paws approved the claim and sent reimbursement in days. Best of all, the MRI showed no neurological damage. We couldn't be happier with Healthy Paws.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Fast, reliable, and available on the phone for questions. We never had to be worried about whether Healthy Paws would support us after using them for over a year now across multiple claims. Our dog has had to deal with some complicated health issues and Healthy Paws has delivered on the quality they advertise. Highly Recommend.

Original review: April 5, 2022

My pup and I have been customers since 2017. As a first time pet-parent, I opted for pet insurance, because I wanted my girl to be protected without having to hesitate over the cost of treatment, should serious illness or accident occur. I had compared providers and liked the reviews for Healthy Paws the most. I continue to be happy with my decision. I submit every receipt/invoice from each vet visit (just in case I assume incorrectly that something is not covered) and the Team diligently and patiently reviews all charges, and responds with explanation of what is covered in each case. Already, there have been two bigger-ticket items where the reimbursement exceeded my expectations, with the latest one being worth almost 2 years of our current monthly premiums!

Communication via email has always been more than sufficient in our case, and responses to claims have been clear, timely and pleasant. I can't imagine not having pet insurance and based on my experience, I have been whole-heartedly recommending Healthy Paws to all my friends, coworkers, and our local pet community.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I work for the largest corporate veterinary hospital in the US and as a perk, they subsidize the cost of Trupanion for four pets. Well, as most others in the animal industry know, sometimes you own more than four... I looked at purchasing Trupanion for my new Great Dane puppy as they had been great with the coverage and claims for my other pets and realized the monthly premium was over $160 for my chosen options (90% reimbursement with a $500 deductible).

I remembered a coworker recommending HealthyPaws to our clients and hearing great reviews. I was quoted a monthly premium of $82 for the same $500 deductible and 90% reimbursement plan. Fast forward a year and my puppy suffers a partial CCL tear in his left knee during a competitive field trial. HeathlyPaws has covered his initial diagnostics (radiographs, sports medicine evaluation, surgical evaluation) ($950), 16 weeks of twice weekly cold laser and underwater treadmill/hydrotherapy ($3200), and his eventual TPLO surgery ($6900). He will likely require a few more months of rehab and physical therapy to fully recover and I am confident in the care he will receive knowing we are backed by HealthyPaws and not burdened by such a significant financial impact.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Healthy Paws pet insurance is wonderful! They are always prompt in processing our claims, and we always receive our reimbursement within a week! One less thing to worry about when my pets are sick or injured. I highly recommend Healthy Paws!

Original review: April 3, 2022

I cannot say enough good things about Healthy Paws. We have had 3 French Bulldogs and knowing the issues they tend to have we were advised by our vet to get pet insurance. I cannot recall what initially made us choose Healthy Paws, but I am so glad we did! The submission process is simple, the reimbursement is quick and every employee we have ever dealt with has always been a pleasure. We have been through some rough times regarding health issues with our melonheads and Healthy Paws has always made things a bit easier and less stressful, knowing that we didn't have to worry about financial concerns when doing whatever was needed to care for our four legged sons. Our first major issue sold us for life with Healthy paws.

Our first Frenchie, Rommel, was stricken with encephalitis when he was less than a year and a half old. He went from being a happy, healthy puppy to passing away in just two weeks. He was the love of our lives and as you can imagine, we were completely devastated. We were prepared to do whatever it took to save him, but it was not to be. We racked up about $15,000 in bills trying to save his life and at that point had not really needed to use our pet insurance so we were not sure what to expect. I submitted the bills to Healthy Paws and within a week or so we were reimbursed 90%, no hassles, no red tape, no runarounds. It really helped not having to deal with any insurance issues while struggling to accept our sweet boy was gone in the blink of an eye.

I've heard horror stories from other friends with different pet insurance and couldn't imagine dealing with that on top of grieving as we were at the time. But that isn't even the part that really sold us! About a week after he passed, I finally got around to calling Healthy Paws to cancel his policy. I was literally fighting back tears as I advised them he was no longer with us. The person I spoke to was very empathetic and expressed their condolences. Several days later we received a card in the mail from Healthy Paws. It was a condolence card handwritten by several employees expressing their sympathies for our loss. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about this company. It is not just a business, but also one staffed by people who really care, many pet owners as well.

But the great experiences don't stop there. Over the years our other two Frenchies have had issues such as IVDD and breathing issues which have incurred other costly surgeries. Each time the experience has always been the same. Easy claim submissions, quick reimbursements and nothing but positive experiences with any employee we have ever had contact with. If you have a pet, you really should have pet insurance. If you want the best for not just your pet but also yourself, you need Healthy Paws!

Original review: April 3, 2022

We have been with Healthy Pet for about 5 years now and our Mattis was having a difficult time eating and going to the bathroom. We took him to the vet for xrays and then to the emergency vet for an ultrasound. Was so happy to have pet insurance through Healthy Paws - they paid us back quickly and continued to inquire as to how Mattis was feeling. Pet Insurance is very important to have but having a company that has your back and reimburses you quickly is a comfort. Thank you Healthy Paws! I am so glad to have chosen this company.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Healthy Paws makes claims easy and have a fast response time. They give detailed claims details and any qualified reimbursement is fast. A company that cares for you and your pet. They also have helpful newsletters that provide good information.

Original review: March 30, 2022

This is already my second pet insurance policy with Healthy Paws and they will be my go-to in the years to come. As soon as we adopt a pup we always start the process with Healthy Paws and the application is always so smooth and seamless. Whenever our pups need medical care, Healthy Paws offers convenient ways to submit claims, and their claim review process is always speedy. After my pup needed surgery, they even followed-up to check on him and make sure he was having a successful recovery. Love them!

Original review: March 30, 2022

I have had Healthy Paws insurance for my dog since he was a puppy and is now 7 years old. I have had only good experiences, fast turnaround of claims, and complete support when needed. Highly recommend Healthy Paws when looking for an all encompassing health insurance plan.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I wanted to thank you so much for checking in after my pup was admitted in the hospital a few weeks back! It was a long, scary week for my pup and family. Thankfully he is doing much better. He is on a strict hypoallergenic diet (think Surf and Turf for dogs in terms of the $$$$-ouch!) but he has not had any GI issues for a few weeks so I am hopeful that we figured out the cause-otherwise he needs to go back for more diagnostics-not fun for him or us! Paws crossed we are on the right path! You guys are the best-makes scary times more manageable knowing we are not having to worry about the bill. My other pup also has Healthy Paws (he is 10!) and we have barely had to use it at all but it's well worth it knowing we have it in times like we had with our pup!

Original review: March 28, 2022

So glad I decided to take out insurance policy on my dog Blu with Healthy Paws. Blu has torn his knee ligament in both legs three months apart. Healthy Paws settled my claims without any problems and also very quickly. I wish my own health insurance was this seamless. Highly recommend Healthy Paws.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Our four year old poodle mix has had two TTA surgeries in less than a year. We were amazed at how quick Healthy Paws processed our claims for these two surgeries that totaled $6K each. Before these surgeries, Healthy Paws has always been very prompt with our claims and their website makes posting the claim very easy as well. Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is wonderful and I recommend it to all my friends and family.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I have had a great experience using Healthypaws for 2 pets for many years now - their customer service is 2nd to none and they process claims amazingly fast. The fact they even check on your pet is just unbelievable and in a world where it doesn't seem like anyone has the time, staff or resources to even speak on the phone Healthypaws manages to make you feel as though they are extended family. I am extremely grateful for the services they provide.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I've used Healthy Paws for about 3 years, during that time I've contacted their customer service department 2 times and each time they were extremely rude and dismissive. In less than a year they raised their prices over 30% without contacting me or changing the policy. Their explanation was "Other people are using the insurance in your area so they are raising the premiums." When compared with other insurance agencies, I would say Healthy Paws has been by far the most frustrating.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your customer service experience. Premiums are determined based on the rates and rating rules filed and approved within each state’s Department of Insurance. Insurance regulations require that we send out a notice to our clients whenever there is a policy change. Please contact our customer service team if you would like a copy of the email regarding your most recent premium increase for your records.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I highly recommend Healthy Paws. They are very helpful and claims are dealt with very quickly. Once I submit a claim, they it is processed the same day and I usually receive my refund within a week. They're absolutely fantastic.

Original review: March 21, 2022

My dachshund is basically healthy but has had two rounds of surgery for stones. Healthy Paws covered all tests and Surgery fees. I am so thankful I have this insurance. Even though the insurance costs have gone up several times—I got it when she was a puppy and she’s now over seven. It has been worth the cost!

Original review: March 21, 2022

Read the fine print carefully, things that are not covered, will not be covered. Things that are, have been paid out quickly, without fuss, and with very helpful staff. Will continue using and recommending to others.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I had a great experience with Healthy Paws. It was very easy to file a claim. I just uploaded all my documents. The process was very quick and easy during a stressful time with my pet. I highly recommend them!

Original review: March 17, 2022

In the beginning of March our pet 4 year old, Willo Rae began experiencing severe sickness and had to be rushed to our veterinarian at the Animal Medical Center of Lehigh Acres. Tests revealed the need for emergency surgery and Willo Rae was taken to the Blue Diamond medical hospital in Fort Myers, where emergency surgery required the removal of her gall bladder. She is now on the road to a recovery she and we are so grateful for. It was a fortunate decision for us to obtain insurance from Healthy Paws for Willo Rae and that decision was most fortunate in Willo’s extreme time of need. Thanks to Healthy Paws, Willo will very soon celebrate her 5th birthday.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Our Sugar-Bear is an American Akita. Last summer he tore his ACL and dislocated his knee cap so he required surgery. His recovery was a bit rough and all I wanted to do was ensure that he was comfortable and give him all the love and cuddles he wanted. I was able focus on my Beary because having Healthy Paws in our corner helped ease my worries about covering all the expenses. Three weeks ago he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma…an aggressive form of bone cancer. Bear once again required surgery and this time it was to amputate his back hind limb. As you can imagine it was a tough decision but he is doing excellent! We removed the source of him pain and he is recovering wonderfully. We are grateful to Healthy Paws for being there when we needed them. Great customer service and best of all peace of mind.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I'm so happy with the service from Healthy Paws. They process my claims in a timely manner and the customer service is always so friendly and informative. If it weren't for Healthy Paws, I'd have paid thousands of dollars for my pup's healthcare due to a lot of GI issues. Thank you so much for the great work!

Original review: March 15, 2022

I have nothing but great things to say about Healthy Paws. My rescue pup has had some health issues from the start and their claims department has been fantastic. Claims are processed quickly and reimbursements are direct deposited. I highly recommend this pet insurance.

Original review: March 15, 2022

$250 deductible, 80% percent reimbursement and was in my account in less than 2 weeks after filing claim. They have answered all my questions and have been so great. Even had a follow up email to check on my dog. Highly recommend.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I want to share my positive experience for the past 9 years having 2 small Havanese fur babies. Periodically I have needed to submit claims. I have not had any difficulty with the process which is very simple. I have used manual mail in and more recent three years online and phone app. Process. My Buddy 9 years of age this summer has had two major surgeries unexpected. In 2020 he had a soft tissue sarcoma and aggressive type of cancer. Following surgery and then radiation treatment he came thru very well. This past two weeks Buddy had surgery for a torn ACL same radiation leg which surgery was our only option. Having Healthy Paws Insurance for both fur babies and the ease of claims and custom coverage I have been blessed to have both babies with me healthy and being able to take all my time and strength to be a great caregiver.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Even if I lose you somewhere while reading my review, please purchase a Healthy Paws pet insurance for your pet now. This is not like deciding whether to purchase your baby a duck toy or a squeaky ball. For the past 8 years Healthy Paws has saved us money we sometimes didn't have. It has allowed us to focus our energy and time on providing Mossi the best vet-care, rather than worrying about money. You don't want to avoid a visit to the vet because you cannot afford it. There is a lot of information online and in social media, which can be very overwhelming. It can also be very misleading, but the go-to for many people because it accessible, and cheaper. I do not recommend this at all.

Make sure your pet is covered with Healthy Paws, take them to the vet, and every other source of information should always be confirmed by your vet. Before I do lose you (as you may think I am long-winded) think of surgeries and cancer, which are very common. Waiting until a sickness or odd-bump passes or goes away because it is not “big deal,” or avoiding routine examinations because “what if they are too expensive” - should never be the decision-process regarding your pet’s health. Pet insurance removes that financial obstacle. Your pet/baby's life may be short, but you can extend them and make the more comfortable with the proper veterinary care.

As soon as we welcomed Mossi Banana into our lives, we purchased a Healthy Paws policy. It came to use right away! Two of the best decisions in our lives! My precious Yorkie, as is the case with the breed, has struggled with allergies, food sensitivities, osteoarthritis, and an incessantly curious and excitable personality that cannot be cured. Our journey with her tummy issues, food and seasonal allergies that change from year to year and as she ages, two surgeries for ruptured ligaments on her hind legs, a fractured tooth (she is a hard chewer, avoid plastic or antlers), have all been very stressful for Us and Her. However, the stress fades away after the visit to the vet when she starts feeling better. We do not have to worry any more than needed because she is covered. I can’t imagine feeling conflicted about foregoing a veterinary visit or treatment because of the cost. You do not want to, either.

Mossi takes various medications and supportive treatments for her gastrointestinal health and bone & joint health, which are covered by Healthy Paws. The surgeries for her hind knees, as well as her rehabilitation program did not have to be optional because we had Healthy Paws. You can decide not to do them, but without them you would be seriously and negatively affecting the length and quality of your pet’s life. When her recovery sessions needed to be extended, Healthy Paws covered them - no questions asked. I submit my invoices the day of the treatment, and I can have the money in our bank account within the same week, sometimes within couple of days – this is a life saver!

Preventative care and food is already expensive, but often doable if you have Healthy Paws to cover the rest. We have a tight budget, and can cover the preventative and food, but beyond that we would struggle and have to make difficult choices about our pet's health. You do not have to! As she ages, some of her health conditions are becoming more easily aggravated, which require more specialized care. Because we have Healthy Paws, we can afford an Internal Medicine Veterinarian that specializes in small dogs. Yes, there are veterinarians that specialize in many fields, but are usually more expensive. Specialized medicine can extend and even save your pet's life. It is more expensive, but it will not be an issue because you have Healthy Paws to cover your pet. I am amazed that Mossi's veterinary care and HP coverage are much better than my own human health care care and insurance coverage!

If you have a breed that is known for great health, get an insurance with the lowest deductible and/or lowest reimbursement. Later, you can change them! Cancer and accidents can be very indiscriminate no matter the breed. You will regret not getting a policy, you will NOT regret getting one because you will need it. If you have a breed that is prone to health issues, get a HP pet policy immediately – and instead, spend the time and energy working with their vet, and doing your own research to learn about your pet’s predispositions and conditions so that you can provide them with best holistic care possible. Get a HP policy, it will make your and your pet's quality of life MUCH BETTER! You will have more money for toys, treats and trips with your beloved pet(s)!

Original review: March 12, 2022

This insurance is fantastic! Works exactly as advertised! My dog started having some tummy issues, which required vet visits, tests, blood work, MRIs, etc. This all added up to thousands of dollars in vet bills that I would not have been able to afford without this insurance. Submitting my claims was easy, and my payouts were completed in a timely manner. Never any fuss, couldn't be happier.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I have been a client of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for many years now and I am so happy with my experience. I am a veterinarian and see pets all the time that cannot receive care because of financial limitations. Even receiving a discount on services, I have been able to offer my pets care that I wouldn't be able to offer without insurance. I even tried a different company on my new dog and left them within 6 months and moved him over to Healthy Paws. Grateful to have the Healthy Paws Team on our side!

Original review: March 10, 2022

I have been so impressed by how Healthy Paws has come through for us over the years but especially recently. My 3 1/2 year-old dog Jack has had a couple of minor incidents over the years and they were always quick to process his claims and send a check in the mail, but they recently came through for us in a major way when he was suddenly diagnosed with Intervertebral Disc Disease and had to have major emergency spinal surgery and a hospital stay with a dog neurologist. Others discouraged me from going to a specialist because of the high cost of the diagnostic MRI and surgery but my dog was in incredible pain and suddenly lost control of his back legs and clearly needed emergency care.

The total bill came out to be about $14,500 and Healthy Paws covered just shy of $11,000, so I only ended up paying about $3,500 myself. Jack is now happily recovering really well and expected to be able to run and play like he used to. The plan has already more than paid for itself, and the health and comfort of my most cherished companion is priceless. I was also touched that they wrote me a kind note after processing my claim to see how Jack was doing. So happy!

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information