4.2/5 (561 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: July 26, 2022

I couldn't be happier with Healthy Paws. We had a near death incident with our puppy and healthy paws covered everything 90% with no hassle. The money gets deposited into my account within 2 days and nothing is better than that!

Original review: July 25, 2022

When we first adopted our pup 2 years ago, we debated if pet insurance is worth the cost. In the end, we decided to do it, and I'm so glad we did. While our dog was young and healthy when we adopted her, we couldn't have possibly predicted all her healthcare needs, which included a parasite, an esophageal issue, eyelid surgery, severe allergies.. and most recently, a hip replacement surgery. In every case, the claims process has been so quick and easy, and payment came within days. It is such a relief to be able to make decisions for my pup just based on what is best for her, not having to worry about the cost. I know that her quality of life is so much better because of it! And it gives me peace of mind as well, knowing that we can care for her no matter what comes up.

Original review: July 22, 2022

My dog had dental issues unexpectedly which resulted in the need for surgery. Healthy Paws was extremely easy to work with. The claim was received and processed very fast. We received our reimbursement check in a very timely manner as well. Highly recommended.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I was really thankful to have Healthy Paws when finding out my dog needed a TPLO surgery. The worry of where that money was going to come from was soothed knowing that at least Healthy Paws would reimburse up to 80% of the costs. They did just that and I am so grateful to have been able to get my dog the help they need.

Original review: July 19, 2022

My puppy ate a 6 1/2" kebab skewer whole and went through three vets before getting lifesaving surgery. Healthy Paws had a no fuss quick turn around that allowed me to pay off his bills. They emailed to ask how my puppy was doing post op which I thought was sweet.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Healthy Paws has been extremely helpful in every aspect of my pet's insurance needs. Not only are they extremely cost-effective, they are prompt and quick to reimburse after submitting claims. I reviewed many other pet insurance policies and by far Healthy Paws has stood out as the best company to work with for my pet's insurance needs.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Our 4 year old beagle somehow hurt his neck. A herniated disc pressing on his spine. We tried medication but it did not work. He was in absolute agony. On the advice of our vet Tom ** we took him to see a neurosurgeon at Blue Pearl Vet. He had surgery and is back to normal. The cost of the surgery was $7553. Our policy with Healthy Pet paid 80%. We received a check for $5998 within two weeks of him having the surgery. Thank God for Healthy Pet. We have healthy pet on both of our babies Jake or beagle and Maggie our cocker spaniel. Healthy Paws is the best. We they recommend them.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I have had Healthy Paws for about 6 years. I have 2 Goldendoodles. Every time I have had a claim, large or small, they review and pay it out within days. No hassles. No denials. My youngest pup ate a toy a couple of weeks ago and had to have it removed at the ER. Final bill was around $4k, and I was reimbursed 90% of that (less my deductible) within about 5 days. I can’t say enough good things about them. Get when your pup is young, though. Made the mistake of waiting until my 2nd pup was almost a year old, and because he has already had an ear infection, any subsequent ear/skin infections are considered pre-existing and aren’t covered. Worth it to get them enrolled early.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is easy to navigate the collection process. My pet was ill, I filed the claim and within a few weeks I had payment. So glad I have insurance. Pet medical care can be very expensive.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Fast reimbursement less than a week!! Covered hospitalization 90%!!! Reviewed claim right away. Allowed me to get the best care for my pup without worrying about finances!!! Low monthly premium. Best coverage around. Very friendly and caring. Best pet insurance ever!

Original review: July 5, 2022

My dog recently had a major back surgery and I have to thank Healthy Paws for helping me out financially. It was easy to submit a claim and the claim review and reimbursement was super quick. I would highly recommend HealthyPaws.

Original review: July 5, 2022

Healthy Paws is the best! During a recent bout of IBD the medical bills for my Husky/Shepherd mix racked up quickly. Healthy Paws paid their fair share quickly with no hassles at all. In fact, after about the fourth check they wrote and asked how he was doing just to make sure he was ok. Now that's good service! At this point I'm sure they've paid me more in reimbursements than I paid them in premiums, but they've never complained. (Oh, and they did the same thing for my last dog...a 14 year old GSD with multiple health issues). I wish my own health insurance were this good.

Resolution response: July 5, 2022

Again, I wished someone would have told me that medical records were needed when I signed up. But my complaint was not mainly based on medical records. My complaint was that no one read my emails or responded to my needs. I kept being asked for medical records over and over even when I provided them.

I provided an email with all the files I had on hand and my pet's medical history, and a timeline of all the veterinary clinics that I took her to along with the Name, Address, and Phone number along with a note that says please reach out to them if you need anything else. Yet, I kept getting notifications that you guys still don't have it and eventually closed out her claim.

I got so upset that I emailed asking to speak with a manager and someone emailed back saying that a manager would be happy to talk to me and if I would like to schedule a time to speak with a manager. I said yes... and I got an email back saying to just call in. It's like no one is communicating with me and it became extremely frustrating. That's all I wanted to say.

The problem isn't about the medical records, it's the way I was treated during this process where I felt ignored and had to take extreme measures to get a resolution. Thanks for finally processing her claims even though it took well over a month.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Because of claim **. I signed up with Healthy Paws many years ago for two of my dogs where I paid monthly to make sure that they were covered. I never had to use the insurance until last year or so with my first dog. They made it incredibly difficult to get reimbursed. They want your entire pet's medical history from the time they joined your family, which I wished they had told me this when I signed up. So if you don't have it. it will become a nightmare. Prepare to never get things resolved! You can email them a hundred times and you probably won't get an email back, or you will get one that doesn't relate to your questions or concern. It's really sad.

Recently, I had to go through this AGAIN with my next dog. It is a nightmare that still has not gotten resolved to the point where I plan to take legal action. I first started by filing a claim. After knowing what I know when I filed a claim for my other dog the first time, I made sure to send them emails (Claim ** to claims@healthypawspetinsurance.com AND help@healthypawspetinsurance.com) to explain the situation from last time and to prevent it from happening again. I included all the medical history that I had on hand AND a timeline of all the vets that my pet had visited including the phone numbers AND addresses in case they want to follow up with the veterinary clinics themselves (in case they needed more).

I can bet 100% that they did not read this email or any other emails of me asking for an update until I called in to talk to Jennifer. She was nice and helpful but, and said that I will not get automatic emails anymore asking for medical history... moments later, I got another one. It's just sad. I figured I will wait a few days. They closed out my claim stating that they will not reimburse anything (Explanation of Benefit). I had emailed asking if they can educate me on why none of it was reimbursed. Someone responded a few days later saying they were missing medical records... OH MY LORD... I don't know how many times I have sent it over to them. NO ONE BOTHERS READING ANYTHING. They ignore it until they can close out your claim and not have to pay you back a dime! To me, that's fraud. I called in and this time, I spoke with Sharon, and she said they are going to reopen my claim and that they have all the records on hand. Still... nothing...

The staff are not doing their jobs. No one reads anything, cares about anything, or know what is going on. So if you are looking for insurance for your pets, please please please do not get pet insurance through Healthy Paws and look elsewhere. I plan to seek legal action. At the end of the day, the amount they owe to me is practically junk change, but it's the principle of it and I want to hold them accountable even if legal fees surpass what they would owe me.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

Janine - We do our best to be transparent regarding the need for medical records during enrollment and in your plan documents. We use a pet's medical records and notes written by the attending veterinarian to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that would keep us from approving a claim. We appreciate your efforts in sending us those records. Your claim has been processed and you should receive your Explanation of Benefits in the next 24-48 hours. Give your babies hugs from us.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I've been a loyal customer of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for 7 years now and I can't express how great they are. All my questions and claims are always addressed right away. Knowing how much medical expenses can be for our pets is very stressful. I’m extremely grateful knowing that I can quickly & easily submit my bills online and have a fast turnaround. They're the best!!!

Original review: June 27, 2022

When we welcomed home our dog, Charlie, just under two years ago I already knew what pet insurance to sign up with, Healthy Paws! My sister had already had Healthy Paws for her dogs and told me about how easy and affordable it was. She had already filed a claim and was quickly reimbursed. I had the same experience. I was able to get 90 percent coverage and only a $100 deductible for a comprehensive plan. My dog Charlie had no health issues until a couple weeks ago when he suddenly started acting different and vomiting all day. I rushed him to the emergency Vet which is very costly. Healthy Paws paid me back within days of submitting my claim.

The app is very easy to use! A week or so later, they reached out to me to check on my pup who luckily is all better! I can't tell you what peace of mind I had while I was with him at the vet knowing he'd be covered! It was heartbreaking overhearing others with no coverage trying to figure out what to do since they couldn't afford treatment.

Original review: June 27, 2022

My Chow Chow, Kallie, tore her ACL and required surgery. Healthy Paws was extremely considerate of her health issue and cooperated with me and her vet in order for her to receive the best possible treatment. The submission of invoices was easy to do and payment from Healthy Paws was very fast. I highly recommend their services.

Original review: June 25, 2022

Tripled my premium. Informed me that medical records I submitted were insufficient and when the Vet told me more detailed records didn't exist in their system, HealthyPaws refused to assist in resolving the issue until I had a claim to file. So they wanted to take money from me every month, without helping resolve this issue, and then when it came time to file a claim, they would have a good reason to deny it. Overall, felt very dishonest and like a scam.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

We understand no one likes any form of premium increase. All premiums are based on the rates and rating rules filed and approved by each state’s Department of Insurance. We appreciate your efforts in providing the records that were available from your veterinarian. Our team did reach out on your behalf to gather any additional medical records. Your most recent claim was processed based on the plan terms and the reimbursement level/deductible chosen at enrollment.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I have had insurance with Healthy Paws since 2018. Be warned, your rates will go up and up and up even if you never file a claim. I would estimate I have had approximately 8 increases since 2018 (it is 2022), and my rate has about doubled. For the first time in 2022 I had to file a claim. What a mess. The incompetence of this company is beyond any I have experienced. They are trying every way to deny the claim. I had to send all vet records of my dog, even from prior to having this insurance as they searched for a pre-existing condition, (obviously this underwriting was already done when we first got the insurance).

I had to send all records several times because they didn't receive them or lost them. They have tried to process 1/2 the claim and then hold the other 1/2 until my policy deductible reset! It has been a nightmare and the claim is under $1000.00! As I write I am currently on hold for 28 minutes. I have filed two complaints with the State Insurance Department! This company is about 1 thing, MAKING $$$

Denise,

All claim decisions are based on your pet’s medical records and the signs/symptoms that are noted. All premiums are based on the rates and rating rules filed and approved by each state’s Department of Insurance. All pet insurance companies, no matter how they market their benefits, will raise rates to keep up with the rising cost of veterinary care. As with any plan with a deductible, that has to be met before reimbursement can occur and is based on the date of service of your invoice.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I highly recommend Healthy Paws for your pets. I would never go without it. The rates are reasonable and they pay within days of claim submission. I've used a few times over the years but most recently, my Dixie had to have 4 mast cell tumors removed with 2 surgeries, lots of imaging & tests, 2 night hospital stay each surgery to the tune of $14K. Claims were submitted and I had the money in my account in 2 days of discharge. Healthy Paws even reached out to me to see how my girl was doing. I can honestly say that Dixie is doing well and that is largely in part to Healthy Paws allowing us to get her the best treatment possible.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I am so thankful for Healthy Paws this year. It's been the difference between manageable expenses and a mountain of credit card debt. They've been so easy to work with and and each transaction has been handled quickly and efficiently. I'm so thankful.

Original review: June 14, 2022

My dog Oscar just had his spleen removed. It was a stressful time for us. He is a big part of our family. The people at Healthy Paws were so efficient and professional helping us get our claim processed. At one point they needed more medical information...When I called the Animal Hospital they told me that a rep from Healthy Paws had already called and that the information had been sent to them. What insurance company does that? Great service. Thank you Healthy Paws for helping us keep our Oscar healthy!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I was a client of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance from 2019 till recently. When it came time for me to submit valid claims, I was given an extreme run around about information. I submitted ALL requested documentation for my Toy Pomeranian, was told they didn't have everything and would close out the claim if they didn't receive the requested medical records. I contacted customer service. The 1st representative I spoke with told me that I didn't need to be concerned that was just an automatic email that was sent while my information was under review. Well, my claims were closed. I called back, spoke with another representative for 45 minutes, after going over everything in detail my claims were reopened. Only for them to reject them again for not having the complete set of Medical Records.

Very Poor Customer Service, and scammers. I called a 3rd time and spoke with another representative who convinced that she would be able to submit my claims for at least 50% return if I agreed to make so that my policy was now starting from this new date of 2022, which would make all previous claims list as pre-existing conditions. So the 1st claims was rejected. The 2nd which I should've received reimbursement for, in turn they said my policy was being renewed, my fees were increasing and now the money I should've received was going to applied to my deductible. This was an extreme scam, I never saw a dime of my money. Everyting went right back into their pockets. I strongly advise not signing up with Healthy Paws Insurance.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

We do our best to be transparent regarding our need for medical records and an enrollment exam. All claim decisions are based on your pet’s medical records and the signs/symptoms that are noted in those records. Most pet insurance companies including Healthy Paws use a pet's medical records to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that would keep us from approving a claim. We appreciate your efforts in providing those records and were able to process your claim.

Original review: June 8, 2022

My dog was bitten by a rattlesnake and the bill was over 2k. Submitted the claim on a Sunday and received the check within a week. They even followed up to check in on my dog. Would highly recommend.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Healthy Paws did a great job in processing my dog's vet bill for an endoscopy he needed to retrieve a foreign object he swallowed; now I have my happy dog back. Healthy Paws had everything completed with just a few days. Thank you so much!

Original review: June 7, 2022

We have had an extremely positive experience with Healthy Paws and they have been very quick and efficient with processing and giving claims payouts. My family feels so much better knowing our kitty has insurance. We have had him (and the insurance) for 4 years and have racked up around 6 vet visits outside of his normal care that have been covered aside from the vet exam fee. They are transparent about how they calculate the payout amounts and we have had no discrepancies in any of our claims. We recently has 3 emergency visits within 1 week and started receiving the checks for the first visit even before we took him again. I would highly recommend this to anyone adopting a pet and definitely do it sooner rather than later since pre-existing conditions aren't covered. Some pets may never use it, but honestly, it's worth it just for the peace of mind.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have used Healthy Paws for almost a decade and with three pets. Their coverage has enabled me to get quality medical care for my furry family members when we have needed it most without being concerned about the financial burden. The way they review claims is always transparent and the explanations of benefits are easy to understand. Their customer service is always attentive and prompt. I couldn't recommend them more!

Original review: June 2, 2022

I have three cats. One was recently diagnosed with Feline Asthma. Once diagnosed, he was placed on a steroid which the vet thinks lowered his immunity and he caught an upper respiratory infection. He then gave that to one of my other cats who got really sick and I had to take him to the emergency vet because he stopped eating and had a fever. Both cats are fine now, although the Asthmatic cat will be on meds for life. Healthy Paws was a LIFESAVER! The process was so easy and because I had this insurance, I did not hesitate to get my cats the care they needed. They fulfilled every part of their agreement. Thank you!

Original review: June 1, 2022

We have had a great experience with Healthy Paws! Our adopted pup has run into a series of health issues and Healthy Paws has made it easy to file claims and are quick with reimbursements! Would recommend for anyone with a four-legged friend!

Original review: June 1, 2022

It’s very clear from my experience with Healthy Paws that they are more than just an insurance company. They do what you expect: processing claims quickly, paying claim amounts that you’re entitled to under your policy, and sending payments quickly. But beyond that, it’s evident that they care about you and your pet as more than just a policy number. They have sent me personalized follow up to check in about how my dog is doing after an injury or surgery, and when our second dog passed away last year and they saw that we put in a claim for the ER bill when he was euthanized, they sent me a heartfelt condolence letter and even checked in a few weeks later to see how we were doing after losing our pet.

Most of the representatives who email you also have the name and picture of their pet in their signature line, and clearly they employ pet lovers. I will also say that I love that they grandfathered us in when they eliminated the policy that our current dog has, and as he gets older the policy goes up in price but never to the point that it’s cost prohibitive. I tell friends all the time when they adopt that pet insurance is essential, I tell them what Healthy Paws has covered for our dogs and what personalized service they can expect to receive. Please never change as a company!

Original review: June 1, 2022

As a dedicated pet parent to two Sphynx cats, I have found Healthy Paws insurance to be a total life saver time and time again. Not only are they quick to process claims but their customer service staff is kind and personable. So much so that I have called with insurance questions and hung up smiling! Healthy Paws saved my cat's life when she needed a pricey emergency surgery - I was reimbursed in less than 10 days. I can’t recommend this insurance enough!

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information