2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

2.0/5 (163 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

My rates went up after I submitted 5 claims (didn’t even have the insurance for a year). After a major surgery on my pet’s leg, at day 10 they suddenly lost my paperwork and I had to start all over again and wait another 2 weeks to see what they’d pay. They take your percentage out of your deductible so in the end, you’re really paying more (20% with $250 deductible adds $50) of a deductible than you think.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Don't waste your time or money. They denied my claim on my kitten because previously he had a hairball when he was smaller and because I used words like "hacking" and "breathing weird" they said he had pre signup symptoms. Per my vet and medical records my cat was diagnosed and treated for a hairball. He was not diagnosed with or had problems with asthma until 8 months later when he was diagnosed with kitty asthma. He obviously was breathing weird because he was trying to cough it up. Much different than how he is now. They obviously are just going to search for a reason to not help than help. Spread the word and avoid Healthy Paws if you want my advice! Btw, I'm a nurse, the breathing described and discussed with my vet were very different. I was only panicked with the hairball because unfortunately a couple months before my cat suddenly died.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

This is a rip-off company. All these advertising about covering for drugs and medical bill is all a lie. They only cover accidental so getting hit by a car is a very few that qualify and that's it. Stomachache, diarrhea, food poisons, fleas, skin condition, ear infection, you get ZERO. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

My Dog is now five years old. I got HP Ins for him back in January 2017 when I adopted him. We started at $34 per month. Every year the premium is increased by $12 to $13. I am now on track to pay $70 per month. This is an over 100% increase in monthly premiums. My dog is healthy and has not needed to use the insurance. I am now dropping coverage as it will be cheaper to save or invest this money and pay out of pocket. This is a scam they will increase till you drop out. My dog life span is 13 to 15 years. I can only imagine what that premium will be.

Year Premium Annually Deductible Total
2030 $190.00 $2,280.00 $250.00 $2,530.00
2031 $202.00 $2,424.00 $250.00 $2,674.00
Prem. Deduct. Total

Total $21,240.00 $3,750.00 $24,990.00

Life of my dog I will be paying $21,0240 in premiums and up to $3,750 in deductibles. For a total of $24,990.00. Save your money!

Resolution response: Nov. 11, 2020

The company has audited the claim and found an error and will now take care of the bills. Thanks, Healthy Paws for getting this resolved.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Stay Away! We got Healthy Paw Pet Insurance for our dog a few weeks ago. After two weeks my dog got a laceration on her ears that must have happened during the night and needed stitches. We went to the vet and they had to do surgery the next day. After filing the claim with them, they denied it calling it a preexisting condition. (The injury happened during the night or early morning our waiting time was over.) I understand a waiting period so people don't get insurance for a sick dog after the fact but this not ok. This company is not honest. I get insurance for my dog and get stuck with paying the premium and the $900? Not only that, they also do not count the money I already spent toward a deductible. This company is a scam.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

The first claim I made was a disaster! After sending in ALL requested information, I received requests for MORE information! And, the company couldn't/wouldn't tell me WHAT information they still needed. We went back and forth...them. We need more information... (Too during this time, I kept receiving messages they were working on my "claim". I have 2 claims in to them. When I asked which claim, they couldn't/wouldn't tell me.) M. What do you need?... Them. We need more info... Me. What do you need/be specific...etc. So, I called their customer service. The clerk had a hard time finding any of my info. When she located it I told her I just needed to know what info they still needed. She said it looked like they had everything they needed. But 2 weeks later I was still only getting messages they needed more information... No closure on the claim!

So, I called again and wasted another half hr. dealing with this issue. This time I did speak with a supervisor. She apologized for all my frustration. When I asked her when she thought the claim would be complete, she stated THIS Afternoon!! Since their behavior has been typical of "scammers", I did warn her I would be going to another provider if there wasn't complete closure on both claims within the next 3 days. Too, I fully intend to pursue this through the FBI due to the legalities involved. And, I plan to warn as many as possible through social media, if the claims are not fulfilled promptly. Will let you know ASAP of any further developments. (ie. whether or not the supervisor kept her word.)

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I had to change my debit card number the website, which I did per their instructions. I even called them and it is also stated on their website and phone message to perform that task online. They canceled my account, they confirmed the number, that it was changed in time, confirmed all was fine on my part but for some reason they did not run it. It was not denied after the date so fully their mistake. I never even used the insurance, just paid and they refused to reinstate it. The first customer service rep was horribly rude, the second one flat out lied, the third was good and said I could re-enroll, but if I ever needed to file a claim I feel like I would be treated wrong again by customer service so I will not re-enroll with them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

Every single time that I submit a claim with them, which is usually for minor things like ear infections, allergy shots, etc., they request that my vet send her ENTIRE medical history. This doesn't sound so bad when you have a 6 month-old puppy, but she is now 5 years old and her history is that much longer. She recently had to have emergency surgery for a hernia that appeared and quickly progressed. She has a vet that comes to the house, so I had to take her to an emergency hospital to be evaluated and then to a separate hospital for the surgery 2 days later. In between, her vet sent her a rx for antibiotics. This happened in August. It is now the 2 days before October and I've only received reimbursement for ONE claim. There are 3 claims in total.

She has no history with the other hospitals because she was referred to them strictly for the surgery. They have sent Healthy Paws everything they have requested and I've gotten nowhere with them for reimbursement of the claims. On top of that, I get random emails from them saying that they received line item descriptions for the claims, but need more info. The email has NO information what claim this is for or even the procedure, date or provider. When I asked about this email, they said it was a generic email that goes out, but I should not have received it. Huh?!

I have been on the phone with them 4 times in the past 3 weeks alone to get this sorted out and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. It seems like they are doing everything they can to NOT pay this claim. I signed up with them over 5 years ago as soon as my fur baby came home and she was still in perfect health, so there were no pre-existing conditions, etc. I'm at my wit's end and caution anyone to consider using them. The headache alone is worth reviewing others. I know that that they are not perfect because I had another one with my prior dog, but they were better to deal with. Horrendous! Just avoid. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We have had Healthy Paws since our dog was 8 weeks and he is now 15 months. The claim process is horrible. Our pet has an ongoing hot spot that the vet has been treating the past month. Our policy states that they cover all injuries including infections, bloodwork and x-rays. Well in submitting the claim it was rejected twice even after a manager told us to resubmit sending along medical records which described the repeated visit for the infected leg. They still rejected the claim so now the manager said he would appeal with all the time spent and lack of promised coverage. I would recommend shopping elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Like all of pet insurance, I wish it covered more like exams and dental and the annual price increases have been substantial. But, their service is great, payment timely and I haven’t found a plan I like better.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information