4.2/5 (669 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

Healthy Paws is wonderful. We have filed several times and are very pleased. This last time we received a follow-up inquiry as to our pet's recovery from surgery. We have been with other insurers over the years. Healthy Paws is by far the best.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

As a veterinarian, I would absolutely not recommend this company to anyone. The claims process is as inefficient as it possibly can be; each time I have made a claim, I have had to submit the records three to four times in addition to having my veterinarian submit the records separately. This is a waste of my time and my veterinarian's. The company only communicates with automated emails and do not provide any information specific to my needs. The customer service staff is surprisingly incompetent and incredibly challenging to reach via email or phone. The pricing is unreasonable compared to other insurance companies. I would strongly encourage any pet owner to purchase insurance from another company.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

We apologize for the frustration you encountered during the processing of your claim. As per the policy we do require medical records for all enrolled pets in order to process claims. Per our customer care team member’s email to you, we have received some records and they have outlined what will be needed for future claims processing, They have also offered to reach out to your veterinarian on your behalf to get those records. Your current claim has been processed per the terms of your plan.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I have a 9 year old rescue dog that has been covered through Healthy Paws since her adoption about 5 years ago. Since then she has been diagnosed with several mast cell tumors, myeloma, arthritis, and glaucoma, resulting in lots of vet visits, medications and surgeries. Throughout everything Healthy Paws has been very easy to work with in submitting a claim, quick in responding, and easy to understand in terms of what is covered and what is not. I'm so grateful to have pet insurance and Healthy Paws has saved me lots of money, and made me feel more comfortable in getting my pet the best healthcare!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Thank you Healthy Paws for your awesome Insurance. It has been a blessing for my chihuahua Kiki & me to have your INsurance since Dec 2020. My earlier claims were just basic health care for Kiki. Filing claim are easy, service is excellent. Best of all, reimbursements are prom & without hassle. In August, 2022, Kiki has major surgery for his knee, the cost without Insurance would be prohibited. Fortunately, with Healthy Paws Insurance, Kiki was able to have surgery, the reimbursement for significantly amount was also prompt & without hassle. I strongly recommend Health Paws for all pet owners.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

My pup was diagnosed with mast cell cancer and needed surgery to remove the masses. Have had Healthy Paws since I brought my girl home 4 years ago. While sad at the diagnosis..Was so grateful to have Healthy Paws. All claims were easy to submit and quickly worked.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I have Healthy Paws for three of my dogs. They are responsive, professional, and quick. They even emailed me to today to check in on my golden retriever puppy who had a dog bite from one of my other pets. I was so touched by their care and concern for my sweet Finn.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

I started the insurance shortly after I adopted my cat Pepper at 8 weeks, and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made. Pepper is now almost 6 years old and this insurance has helped lots when she was diagnosed with diabetes last year, and when she needed surgery to extract teeth affected by resorptive lesions this year. It saved me thousands of dollars in total. I’ve thought about canceling when she was healthy, but I’m glad I didn’t and stuck with the plan. You never know what could happen to your pet. The insurance brings you a peace of mind.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

Healthy Paws is a wonderful pet insurance company. It’s easy to submit claims for my dog, Asher, via the Healthy Paws app, as well as, through email. The Healthy Paws team addresses all claims quickly ensuring my fur baby receives the best care possible.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

Healthy Paws pet insurance has been a godsend. Our puppy recently had emergency surgery and was in the hospital for several nights. When all was said and done, the bill was over $4000. Healthy Paws paid 80% of her bill and our reimbursement was deposited into our account within 7 business days. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Their customer service is amazing and they have followed up several times to see how our puppy is doing. If you’re considering pet insurance, Healthy Paws is the way to go.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Of my cats recently decided to ingest a felt string with a thin wire inside. We took him to the Emergency Vet and an ultrasound confirmed that the string was still inside his stomach. Luckily they were able to remove using an endoscopy procedure. The total cost was over $3,000. I paid up front but thank goodness I have Healthy Paws pet insurance. I submitted my claim with all medical history and felt confident that Healthy Paws would take care of it. The claim was resolved with a couple of weeks and I was reimbursed directly into my account. Having Healthy Paws for my 3 cats gives me peace of mind for exactly a situation like this and helps alleviate much of the stress. I would highly recommend to any pet parent. The other thing that really touched was an email I received a few weeks after inquiring how my cat was doing. As a pet parent this small act of kindness really touched me. Thank you Healthy Paws for your fast, efficient, and kind service.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Healthy Paws is quick with their paperwork and turnaround time. Sadly, after year three, you will begin to see MASSIVE INCREASES $$ in their premiums. Each year after that you can expect to see more added. 6 years ago I was at $34 per month, as of next month it will be $65. I have had two minor claims that were paid for by my deductible. There is no regulation and these people will just get you in, then as your beast starts to age, you won't want to pull out. It is manipulative and quite unfair. But I can't start over somewhere else.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

Leolpold - Thanks for your kind words regarding our customer service. We do our best to be transparent regarding annual premium increases by including this information on the "Frequently Asked Questions" page of our website. We understand your concern and would be happy to review your account and discuss your premium increase with you in greater detail. Please call us at (855) 898-8991 and we will gladly answer any questions you have regarding the factors that went into your premium increase.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I just want to say how thankful I am that I have pet insurance with Healthy Paws. My pup had to have a major procedure to remove a cancerous mass from her cheek. She is only two and I was devastated. The fact that I had great coverage with Healthy Paws allowed me to make all the right decisions for my young dog without having to worry about the financial implications. She is healing nicely. I would never have a pet without insuring them with Healthy Paws.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My German Shepherd Cash has been covered by Healthy Paws for over 6 years now. They have been a great company for years, paying for his monthly allergy medication, etc. Clams have always been paid quickly and fully - based on our coverage. But recently, Cash got very ill with pancreatitis. He was at our vet 2-3 times getting fluids, and tests to determine what was wrong. He had to go to a specialty emergency animal hospital for 3 nights - getting more and more tests, IVs, feeding tube, ultrasounds, etc. We almost lost him and it was so stressful for us. It was very expensive and we had to keep authorizing funds daily.

Luckily we knew Healthy Paws had our backs and we didn't have to worry so much about the money and could concentrate on Cash. He finally improved, but after coming home had to go back to our vet a couple more times. The bills added up over thousands and thousands of dollars. Luckily, within a week after filing our claims, they were paid, as expected. We won't have another pet without Healthy Paws. I highly recommend them for your pet's insurance.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Healthy Paws doesn't just raise your rates, they triple them.

Here's my latest rate increases:
Sep. 2019: $61/mo.
Nov. 2022: $162/mo.

And I received these increases even though I did not even have any claims.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

Jimmy - We realize no one likes any form of premium increase. We understand your concern and would be happy to review your account and discuss your premium increase with you in greater detail. Please call us at (855) 898-8991 and we will gladly answer any questions you have regarding the factors that went into your premium increase.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

My husband and I picked HealthyPaws for our insurance for our dog, Herc, as soon as we got him from the rescue that saved him almost five years ago. It was one of the best decisions we made when it came to looking out for our furry family member. Not only have we had zero issues when it comes to quick and easy reimbursement for care, we have actually had representatives reach out to us to check on our Herc is doing after procedures. I could not recommend their services more highly to anyone looking!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I would recommend Healthy Paws to furry baby parents who are looking for good insurance or thinking of getting one. I got my Bichon puppy from an AKC heart-rated breeder and expected him to be healthy. I did the internet search for pet insurance and chose healthy paws when he was 3-month. Now he is 2-year and is diagnosed with luxation patella. A surgery fix was suggested by the vet and the cost was around 3K. I can't tell you how frustrated I'm to hear this news. I did a lot of work to find a well-rated breeder and chose the almost most expensive one, but my baby still suffers from a health problem.

I talked to the breeder and she said this puppy was the first sick one in her 30+ years of experience. I couldn't tell if she said the truth, but anyway, the accident could happen and I'm grateful that I enrolled my baby in the insurance when he was young so this accident was covered. Going through surgery with your pet is super tough, it's even tougher than getting the surgery on yourself both physically and mentally as well as economically, and the insurance now plays an important role and makes sure you don't need to "give up" therapy due to budget.

The reimbursement process of healthy paws is very fast, my first claim was processed using around 1 week, and my later claims were processed using 3 days. They also don't increase premiums a lot when your pet gets older compared to other insurance. If you're thinking of enrolling your pet, just do it as early as possible since the insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. There's only 15 days waiting period which is short compared to other insurances.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My husband & I are both retired, & the cost of surgery to repair our dog's 2 torn CCLs would likely have been prohibitive for us. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we are able to provide the best possible treatment & care for her. The company paid promptly on our claims, & even reached out with concern over how she was recovering. Healthy Paws is a truly wonderful company! We highly recommend it!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

When I first got my dog, we were with another insurance company and it was a hassle in terms of getting claims to them and even more so for reimbursement. We switched to Healthy Paws in 2013, and they have been really amazing. Great customer service reps and an easy to use app and website, can upload invoices from your phone and quick to reimburse. The no lifetime limit is also a big one for me, as my dog is older and I don't want to be stressing about vet bills if it means saving his life or making him more comfortable. He's recently had fairly major surgery for a dog his age and knowing that we reached our deductible and will be covered at 70% took much of the financial strain off my plate.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

We’ve had Healthy Paws since we brought them home our 3 Bengals as kittens, and we’ve had 4 hefty claims in 5 years. Each time, the claims process was painless and we were not paid quickly. Over $10K saved so far! Best insurance company ever.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

My dog was very sick and I was forced to file a claim.. Healthy Paws did everything I requested to my satisfaction. I would highly recommend this company. Customer Service was very helpful and friendly. I received my refund in an excellent, timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Find another pet insurance company. The facts on their website are wrong. They state they cover diagnostic testing and prescriptions, but I just had two claims denied for both of these things. I asked why and emailed FOUR TIMES with no response. They only stated that "exam fees are not covered." Well... testing and prescriptions should be according to their site. The only way to get a response from this joke of a company is to open a BBB complaint. This company is a waste of money and a scam! They do not make good on their policy agreements and will find any reason to deny your claim. I have opened three claims and my experience was the same for all three - I only got a response AFTER I opened a BBB complaint on them.

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS ME. DO NOT GO WITH HEALTHY PAWS! Claim numbers ** and **. Both claims have things that should be covered under the policy. Both claims were denied. No emails answered when asking for an explanation. A second BBB complaint has been opened. This company is NOT worth the hassle.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

Rachel - After a thorough review of your account and claims, both of your claims were processed and covered correctly as per your policy. Everything (medications, urinalysis, and patient care) on both of the invoices were covered with the exception of the examination fees. As per the policy, the exam fee is an exclusion and as such is not eligible for coverage.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Healthy Paws is an excellent provider for pet insurance. My dog recently had a major surgery, TPLO, which was very stressful and expensive. Being insured by Healthy paws made the process as easy as possible. They processed my claim very quickly and issued the reimbursement immediately. Also, they seem to really care about the well being of my dog as they followed up to see how her recovery was going. I highly recommend Healthy Paws!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

My sister-in-law insisted I get Healthy Paws insurance when we got our new puppies. I was reluctant since we didn't have it for our other dogs. Thank god I did. Both puppies had to be hospitalized and it was expensive. Healthy Paws makes it easy to file a claim, they are super responsive when I asked questions and they completed claims very fast. They also followed up just to see how the pups were doing. I highly recommend Healthy Paws!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

My dog recently underwent TPLO surgery (Aug 2022), which as anyone who has gone through this, can be quite costly. Thank goodness many years ago I chose Healthy Paws for my pet’s health insurance. I filed a claim, which was processed exactly as stated in the policy, and without any stress. These situations with our fur-babies are stressful enough, as it is. I couldn’t be more pleased with Healthy Paws. I have recommended them for pet insurance throughout the years, as they are responsive, and hassle-free.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I have two dogs both two now. When we got the pups they were healthy babies. 3 surgeries later on their ACL's and one more ACL to go. Plus one unexpected emergent surgery. Healthy Paws never gives an issue and Reimburses quickly. I cannot imagine where I would be without their help.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Wow, I can’t say enough how amazing my experiences have been with Healthy Paws since I’ve had Petunia. After just one or two minor hiccups her first few years, a few weeks ago really was life or death. After emergency vet care, for several hours wasn’t sure if she’d even make it through for a 5 year old dog. But against all odds, she did. Petunia is doing amazing- recovering very well, acting like herself again. I am a single female, who rescued a female pitbull. She is the sweetest girl, little did I realize had more of a fan club than most humans I know. So many have been asking and following up about her. I couldn’t be more thankful that I had Healthy Paws to fall back on for financial support. I have been urging friends and family with furry ones to join, if they hadn’t already. The quick responses, claim reviews, and reimbursement is truly applaudable. If only human insurance was so efficient!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Please, if you care about your pet's health, do not use this company. I've been going back and forth with them for two months trying to get reimbursed for my dog's pneumonia bills. Three vet clinics have sent my dog's records to Healthy Paws multiple times, but they just keep requesting the same records over and over until they cancel the claim. This is a borderline fraudulent business. Their communication is terrible, and they make fining a claim impossible. Shop for insurance somewhere else. I'll be switching to another company.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

Chris - We do our best to be transparent regarding the need for medical records during enrollment and in your plan documents. We use a pet's medical records and notes written by the attending veterinarian to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that would keep us from approving a claim. We appreciate your efforts in sending us those records. Your claim has been processed and you should receive your Explanation of Benefits in the next 24-48 hours. Give your babies hugs from us.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

If you are on the fence about which insurance to get, get Healthy Paws. We have had HealthPaws for both of our pups for over seven years. This review is long overdue. When our 13-year-old puggle became suddenly ill, knowing we could focus on her and not have the weight of how much an emergency hospitalization was so helpful. From a business perspective, HealthyPaws has always reviewed the claims quickly and made payment in less than 10 business days (usually much faster), which is amazing.

Then comes HealthyPaws humanity. After Zoe's unexpected visit, we received an email checking in asking how she was doing. *Never* in my human life, have I had an insurance company reach out to me after an unexpected illness. They do not only give you peace of mind to focus on the furry love of your life, but they care. They care about the furry ones they insure, and I am just not quite sure you can ask for more than that.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

My husband and I have two rescue dogs, Bear and Layla. Layla had had very few accidents and illnesses over the years but Bear has more than made up for that! We would do anything to keep him healthy and happy, but we would go into debt taking care of him if not for Healthy paws. We receive our claim reimbursement within a week of our initial cost, and the team at healthy paws even reaches out to make sure he is doing well. I recommend pet insurance in general to all pet owners I know, and healthy paws is definitely the best in my book!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

We would highly recommend this insurance to pet parents. We were able to afford our furbaby's pricey leg surgery thanks to good coverage. It's affordable and claims are simple to file with quick turnaround time for issuing claims checks. They even reached out by email to check on Pip after he had his surgery.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information