2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

3.9/5 (231 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Greenies

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My dog loves Greenies and I was giving her 1/2 of a Teenie Greenie, (she is 7 lbs) before bed. She begs me for them and after doing this for maybe two years, now expects it. This last week I had to bring her to the Veterinarian because she was constipated and could not poop. I tried feeding her some canned pumpkin, which was what the pet store recommended but she wouldn't touch it and by this time wasn't drinking any water either. I had to bring her to the Veterinarian so they could give her an enema. It cost me 198 dollars for the visit and the treatment.

The veterinarian didn't ask me any questions about what she was eating and gave me no advice when I picked her up. I will not go back to that veterinarian again. When I called the next day to find out what they recommended feeding her I was told canned pumpkin, which was no help but rather what I told him I had tried to feed her. I am going to stop feeding her Greenies and see if I can get another chewie treat that is good for her teeth instead. Plus I will go back to feeding her Blue Small Senior Dog as she did well on that. I had switched to the Trader Joes Brand when a friend gave me a gift card.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I used these things as a medical care provider of mine feeds the regular Greenies to his dog and I know him to be quite careful about everything. I stopped giving my puppy these things 3 weeks ago. I got her at 10 weeks and by 14 weeks, I already made the association of her diarrhea with the dental chews. She's now 17 weeks and I wanted to give her a treat, but I was out of treats except for the pill pockets. I took a bill pocket, split it in 4 and gave the treat to her. She had diarrhea soon after.

I believe the problem is with glycerin in the product. I had my own issue with a sugar free syrup that was glycerin based. I didn't know it at the time I first started using it. Within 3 days, I had awful diarrhea. It occurred to me, "How did they make a sugar free chocolate syrup?" I look at the packaging and it was almost 100% glycerin (shy of the chocolate flavoring).

I knew that glycerin should only be ingested in very small amounts for humans. I discontinued use of that product and threw it away. When my puppy was sick off the pill pockets, that's when I grabbed the Greenies dental chews and pill pockets. Both have glycerin in them as the 3rd ingredient. I am pretty sure this was what caused her bouts with diarrhea. Just say NO to pet foods and treats with glycerin in them. There is literally no reason for pet food manufacturers to use it!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

PLEASE do not EVER give your pets Greenies! We have an 8 month old kitten who is very ill. We took him to the vet twice within the last week to the tune of $700. Our little guy had been eating Greenies dental treats for his bad breath --last week he started vomiting, could not poop, stopped eating and was in a lot of pain. X-rays show that he has and enlarged colon, severe gas in his intestines and a huge stomach packed with food because he cannot digest anything.

Greenies are sold at our veterinarian's office. They seemed to be a popular brand and it wasn't like we were feeding him something from the dollar store --we thought we were giving him something that was good for him. That was NOT the case! He absolutely loved the Greenies he would come running if he heard the package being opened--we are absolutely sick that we willingly gave him something that made him violently ill. He is still not eating or acting normal. We have no idea if any permanent damage was done to his organs or digestive system. Greenies should be put out of business and there should be a class action lawsuit for all the pet parents and fur babies that have had to go through all this pain and suffering..not to mention exorbitant vet bills because of their NEGLIGENCE!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

If your dog does not prefer these treats, but you accept that some dogs do, why would you not recognize that it is a "no-fault" situation. Why would you leave a 2 star review for something that clearly was no fault of the treat itself? My dog absolutely loves the Greenies Original, but that's just my dog. I did have a bag appear to go bad on me, but that may have been that the bag was not sealed shut properly, and only that one time. We've been using these more for the treat value than anything to do with cleaning. Vets tell me they're not "all that". Nonetheless, we like them and will continue buying them because it buys me a few minutes to my thoughts when I get home.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I needed to give my 12 year old beagle two pills three times a day for a urinary tract infection. I used Greenies pill pockets and I bought the 3.2 oz package that said it had "approx" 30 pills. I would be Ok with 28, or 29 or 31 - I get it approximately means not exactly 30 but it also means "near" 30. When I used them - it only had 20 pills in the package. This is grossly misleading the consumer and in my opinion leads me to distrust the manufacturer. It's hard enough in this day and age to know who to trust for the product content but to not even put the number you claim in the package leads me to grossly mistrust them. I will never buy them again. I guess I will use a good fresh piece of meat or actual peanut butter to persuade my beagle to eat pills in the future. Shame on you - Greenies! Joel ** Irvine, CA **

Original review: June 29, 2019

My Yokie loves the Teenie Greenies, all flavors. Great for her teeth. Great for her digestion. Great for her happiness. She has been eating them for over 8 years and always loves them. Say the word “Greenies” and she comes running.

Original review: June 14, 2019

After feeding our 4 year old lab a large breed dental chew shaped like a toothbrush she started vomiting within hours, 5 solid days of vomiting once a day and we were still seeing chunks of undigested orange pieces in her vomit. Why is this allowed on the market with so many reports of illness?

Original review: May 31, 2019

I bought the small Greenies for my Chihuahuas. One is 5.5 pounds and the other is 7 pounds, I gave them the Greenies that are meant for 5-15 pound dogs. While my dogs loved these treats, their bodies didn’t. After a few days of giving them Greenies, they both starting vomiting all over the house for two days straight, each throwing up about three times a day. My 7 pound chihuahua kept heaving and her eyes were tearing, and she was very shaky. I stopped giving them the treats after that and now they’re back to normal. I looked into the treats and I read that many dogs have died from eating these treats. If your dog doesn’t chew them, they can apparently expand in their stomachs and kill your dog. However, I’m not entirely sure this is true, but what I do know for a fact is that these made my dogs very sick. I would recommend just brushing your dog's teeth.

Original review: April 30, 2019

As others noted on this site, Greenies dental seafood flavored treats made my cat very ill! The diarrhea was the worse! Other issues were throwing up and weeping eyes. I had extensive blood work & other test done which all came back normal. I then found posts here which described his issues exactly. I Removed the 6-8 treats he was given per day and all the issues stopped! Note my cat is 15 yrs old and has been raised strictly indoors. Never in contact with other animals (except his brother who died 2 yrs ago). He has had a strict diet of Hills M/D since 2011. Food is measured amount AM and PM. He's Never given any people food.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I wanted to find something to help keep my cat's teeth clean. I started giving these to her a couple months ago. At first my 1 1/2 year old indoor female cat loved these. I gave her only about 2 or three until a month later I read where you can give her up to 11 in a day so I thought why not? From the start she was almost displaying addictive behavior as she excitedly went to the fridge where I keep them, so I cut back because I did not want her to think she could replace her meals with these. For about a week now she has displayed a lack of appetite not feeling well and has thrown up a small amount of water/bile once. I have decided that there are ingredients in these that are disrupting her GI tract. I am giving the rest away to farm cats I know. They are a bit more resilient. I hate to waste the $. I won't but these anymore. I'll continue to brush her teeth with a baby toothbrush. She's fine with that.

Greenies Company Information